[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 575369)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 41599 unique user posts. View catalog

File 140079451631.png - (21.53KB , 900x450 , 1.png )
575369 No. 575369 ID: 65a774

Old threads and Wiki: http://tgchan.org/wiki/Rust
Discussion: http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/56976.html

A stranger arriving, a wanderer of the worlds, knower of nothing yet capable of wonders.
Expand all images
>>
No. 575370 ID: 65a774
File 140079452534.png - (6.49KB , 900x450 , 2.png )
575370

>Choose your species and gender! (All gender options are available.)

Human – Now in dark flavor. Probably tastes like chocolate.
Lizard – Delicious tails… probably tastes like strawberry… or maybe vanilla.
Mantis – GIANT KILLER BUGS! RUN AWAY!! Tastes like victory. Sweet, sweet victory.

Insert Here we go again.
>>
No. 575371 ID: 497ec2

...Oh dang it.
That human female is just too potentially awesome to ignore.
>>
No. 575372 ID: 2f4b71

>>575371
Seriously. Not only do we get a sword, but we have a NICE HAT.
>>
No. 575373 ID: 40935b

Mantis male for the sake of variety and dat uniform.
>>
No. 575374 ID: 48de87

I vote The human female...but in delicious chocolate
>>
No. 575376 ID: 9ddf68

male mantis.

I mean we've done a female lizard, a female mantis, a female human, a male lizard, and a male human all in that order. The male mantis is the only thing we have yet to play as.
>>
No. 575378 ID: d0e0a2

My vote for the mantis guy, mostly 'cause we've never chosen one before, and partly 'cause of that sweet outfit.

"Numb?" I was expecting "Rune" since the icon filename for the Spellswords contained that and we're now across the Great Sea. Guess there's more to come to be excited about.
>>
No. 575379 ID: dbe554

Male Mantis! We shall have man eggs!
>>
No. 575380 ID: 48de87

Or we could play some weird gender not on the scale...or a transsexual, But That would be kinda have to depend of the setting if it would work or not,
>>
No. 575381 ID: 012266

MANTIS MANNNNNNN
>>
No. 575382 ID: 2bfcdf

Gotta agree with Male Mantis. We must play as all gender/race combinations.
>>
No. 575384 ID: 2bfcdf

Wait a minute these are all from the Major Arcana stained glass windows!
>>
No. 575385 ID: 2bfcdf

The male human is Strength, female lizard is The Hermit, male lizard is The Star, female lizard is The Chariot, male mantis miiiiight be The Heirophant but his clothing doesn't quite match, female mantis could be the one falling in The Tower.
>>
No. 575386 ID: 2bfcdf

Considering the male mantis appears to be some military man he is probably NOT The Heirophant. So he's either the Sun, Moon, or Judgement- the three remaining tarot cards that could correspond to people. The last one is The World, which is obviously not going to be a person.
>>
No. 575392 ID: 65a774
File 140080109430.png - (5.59KB , 900x450 , 3.png )
575392

>Mantis male for the sake of variety and dat uniform.
>male mantis.
>My vote for the mantis guy, mostly 'cause we've never chosen one before, and partly 'cause of that sweet outfit.
>Male Mantis! We shall have man eggs!
>MANTIS MANNNNNNN
>Gotta agree with Male Mantis. We must play as all gender/race combinations.

You have chosen: MANTIS MALE!

You are a strapping young mantis male, currently educating yourself to become a commander of the Amun Empire Army! Too bad the academy has a strict policy of the proper design of uniforms. Doesn’t mean you can change some of the details though!

Please choose a color scheme for your antenna decoration, direction of antennas and, if you’re so inclined, if you want to wear the official Amun military hat of hatines.
You can also choose to change your abdomen cover and some colors of your current uniform. (As long as you wear Amus’ official blue and yellow.)

Insert Pimp my Mantis_
>>
No. 575395 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575392
I like the default look, honestly.
>>
No. 575397 ID: 40935b

That hat unfortunately does not look as good on mantises. There's a sentence I never thought I'd say.

Everything's fine the way it is.
>>
No. 575409 ID: 65a774
File 140080771193.png - (3.61KB , 900x450 , 4.png )
575409

>I like the default look, honestly.
Gentlemen, behold! The same look as in the start of the thread!

Now, choose which aspect that defines you the most. (This will determine personality.)

- Courage! – You’re brave, confident and fearless.
- Wisdom! – You’re intelligent, rational and well spoken.
- Power! – Err… that’s not a… wait, let me… hmm… “You’re strong, silent and sarcastic.” …I guess?

And while you’re at it, would you kindly give this lonely Male Mantis a fitting name?
>>
No. 575410 ID: 68bbc5

>>575409
A courageous, yet saucy male mantis. Lady mantises will be falling over each other to make him their harem's number 1.

As for a name, how about Marc?
>>
No. 575416 ID: dbe554

Wisdom!

Also he shall be Cthblabrrrch, with his pronounceable name as Rupert!
>>
No. 575418 ID: d0e0a2

I choose wisdom. Intelligence and rationality are fine traits for one who aspires to be a military commander, and being well spoken will impress a higher class of lady (or gentleman.)

And for a name? Well, he looks like a Jean to me.
>>
No. 575422 ID: 2bfcdf

Courage.
>>
No. 575424 ID: 0ee153

Since we're doing things differently, let's go with power.

Wisdom and intelligence didn't serve us well at the end, remember? Overthinking doesn't pay.
>>
No. 575425 ID: 40935b

>sarcastic
I thought that came standard issue.

Wisdom is a good trait for a commander.
>>
No. 575428 ID: 48de87

POWERRRRRRRR

Seriously though, That's my vote
>>
No. 575431 ID: 9a281a

Wisdom!

Daithí. (Because mantises need Gaelic names).
>>
No. 575444 ID: ec2a0b

Wisdom.... No beard or something... like... that...

He is clearly not an excenric who dyes his mandibles to look like a bismarkmoustache or something...

Why? Why must i beardify everything?

Name: leopold
>>
No. 575468 ID: 48de87

Oh oh oh! Let's have some sort of toupee, Given mantis don't seem capable of growing hair~ Also I vote our name be something like...Alexander~
>>
No. 575470 ID: 3f0c1b

Wisdom would be perfect for our commander, even if power would be a close second.

>>575468
I'm not sure how good it would look, but I have to see this.
>>
No. 575476 ID: 65a774
File 140085982468.png - (15.78KB , 900x450 , 5.png )
575476

>Why? Why must i beardify everything?
Remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem. The second is to be locked up in a mad house where you belong, beard lover!
>Let's have some sort of toupee, Given mantis don't seem capable of growing hair~
Welp, now I can’t get the idea of a mantis trying being a human out of my mind so… look forward to that NPC. Thanks a lot!

>I thought sarcasm came standard issue.
The sarcasm feat can be taken additional times for added effect.
>Wisdom!
Congratiulation! You’re smart! You’ve read a lot of books and aced every written test they have given you so far… *Cough* Dork *Cough*…

>Daithí.
[You have claimed a new king! Daithi “The Magician”.]

:DaithiNUM: Father…
:CathalNUM: Now, now, son, stop fuzzing. You’ll want to look your best for tonight, don’t you?
:DaithiNUM: You’ll have to excuse me for withholding my enthusiasm, but is this really necessary?
:CathalNUM: Daithi, my son, you know how important it is for us that you find a suitable wife, and what with you having such a controversial job there aren’t really a lot of them showing interest. Bah, why shouldn’t you have been interested in something a boy is supposed to be interests in… I mean, you got the head on you to become a scholar… or alchemist… but no, you had try and become something that women are supposed to be… *sigh* …Daithi, we’re just trying to do what’s best for the family.
:DaithiNUM: Aren’t a holy matrimony supposed to symbolize love, not some cold calculated political and monetary gain with some fornication and offspring’s on the side?
:CathalNUM: Love? Ha! You’ve been reading to many books, son. Do you really think your mother and I have ever been in love? In fact, we could barely stand each other when we first met! No, you’ll just have to lay back and think of the Amus Empire.
:DaithiNUM: It isn’t that Lucrais don’t really agree with me, it’s that she hate my guts. I’m pretty sure she wants to murder me or at least torture me. Also, she’s a total bitch.
:CathalNUM: Now, now, you’re exaggerating. You’ve barely met, after all. Now, get ready, we’re leaving within the hour.
:DaithiNUM: Father, please…

Insert New Mission: Find a way to skip this forced “Date”!_
>>
No. 575479 ID: 9a281a

Hello, Daithi! Nice to meet ya. For better or for worse, your life just got more interesting.

Could I trouble you for the date, and your location? Our movements through time and space aren't always linear, and as we just met, we aren't sure where or when we are.

>The magician
What kind?

>you had try and become something that women are supposed to be
What's that? What are you that he disapproves of?

>holy matrimony supposed to symbolize love
It can, but that's hardly the only reason people hook up. Although your father's cynical view is slanted rather too far the other way. The truth is more in between.

So, could you fill us in on what's happening, and why your father thinks it's best to arrange this date for you?
>>
No. 575484 ID: d0e0a2

Greetings, Daithi! Welcome to Team Teal! We're a collective of spirits/fragments of the old gods/gods/daemons/souls/voices/whatever-you-want-to-call-us come to guide those who's actions could have a great influence on the world. So congratulations, you're important! We'll do our best to keep you from harm and lead you to a better future in the coming troubles.

Now, we have a few questions for you so as to orient ourselves in time and place and get some basics about you and your situation so as best to guide you:

First, what is the date, preferably in the Serathian or Northland calendar? Also, if you can, tell us how long it is from now to both 23rd of the 3rd month of Thane’s season, year 3996 and the 12th of Eranos, 3995. Next, what is your location, and how far away are you from the point directly under the center of Aerathin's Belt?

Now for the personal questions: What is your sexual orientation? We want to clear that up right away so we don't steer you wrong or steer others to you that you aren't interested in. What is your favorite subject of study and your favorite book? What was the reason you wished to pursue a military career? What do you look for in someone you'd love to have as a romantic partner?

As for the situational questions: What do you know about Lucrais? Do you know if she's being forced at you by her family, the same as you are being forced at her? 'Cause if she is then she might have acted that way on your first meeting to try and torpedo things off the bat. You might find commonality in the fact you two are getting pushed together against your wills. It might be enough to suffer through this "date" until we can figure out a better way to get you out of a forced marriage.

And I'd say that it's good that a smart guy wants to become a military commander. Somebody has to be clever and think of the strategy and plan things. Too often it's those who have more brawns than brains who get in leadership.
>>
No. 575487 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575476
The Magician?! Now why is that his designation...? Looks like his father is The Heirophant.

[scan Cathal]

So, hello Daithi. You wouldn't happen to be living in a tower would you?
>>
No. 575496 ID: 65a774
File 140087217507.png - (16.56KB , 900x450 , 6.png )
575496

>[scan Cathal]
[“The Hierophant” is currently not claimed! You do not have any pawn slot yet! Please level up your character before trying to claim a new pawn!]

>Greetings, Daithi!
:DaithiNUM: …I’m hearing voices again, father…
:CathalNUM: …did you forget to take your medicine this morning?
:DaithiNUM: No, I’m pretty sure I took it as always.
:CathalNUM: Hmm… maybe you need a bigger dosage? Well, if it continues we’ll have to speak with the doctor again and see what he says, but for now just ignore them.
:DaithiNUM: Does this-
:CathalNUM: No, you’re still going to that dinner.

>We're a collective of spirits/fragments of the old gods/gods/daemons/souls/voices/whatever-you-want-to-call-us come to guide those whose actions could have a great influence on the world.
Or you’re just a figment of my twisted mind playing tricks on me. Which seems more likely, hmm?
>First, what is the date, preferably in the Serathian or Northland calendar?
Err… wait, why would… um… I’ll need to check up on those calendars to be sure but… I don’t really have the time right now, alright?
>Next, what is your location, and how far away are you from the point directly under the center of Aerathin's Belt?
…I’m in the middle of the Amun Empire, in the city of Stone Heaven. Aerathin's Belt? Well, there’s an old landmark right outside the city which is supposed to be right under it, why?
>You wouldn't happen to be living in a tower would you?
…noo? I’m living in the Commander Academy… which is located in an old castle… so… um… well, it got towers but I’m not living in one…

>The magician? What kind?
Magician? Me? I don’t know any magic… what with all these weird questions? Have I gone completely nuts?
>What's that? What are you that he disapproves of?
I’m a commander apprentice. Most mantises sees any kind of leadership role as solely in the female domain, as we male are supposable too “Emotional” and “Cowardly” to be any good at it. In fact, I’m the only male mantis in the whole school… um… I’m the first male mantis they’ve ever accepted, even. The only reason I had a chance, or that there even is a male mantis dorm here, is because some of the lizards complained about something called equality and stuff…
>So, could you fill us in on what's happening, and why your father thinks it's best to arrange this date for you?
It’s not my father, he’s just a doormat. It’s my mother. She wants me to be sold off to some rich family for money and contacts… Of course, because I choose something most people doesn’t agree with its kind of hard to find anyone willing to buy…

>Now for the personal questions: What is your sexual orientation? What do you look for in someone you'd love to have as a romantic partner?
I… w-what? That’s a b-bit… personal, isn’t it!? I’m not telling you that!
>What is your favorite subject of study and your favorite book? What was the reason you wished to pursue a military career?
I’m a fan of history… military history, in fact. That’s why I sought out this career in the first place…
>What do you know about Lucrais?
She a quick-tempered, shortsighted, senseless hag who hates me like the intensity of forty suns.
>Do you know if she's being forced at you by her family, the same as you are being forced at her?
Of course she is. That’s the way it goes… no one gets to marry who they want and everyone is miserable. But no, that’s not the reason why she hates me… she hated me before that but… I don’t know why.

>I'd say that it's good that a smart guy wants to become a military commander. Somebody has to be clever and think of the strategy and plan things. Too often it's those who have more brawns than brains who get in leadership.
Well, the only reason they even gave me a chance here was because of my good grades and acing the application test. Hopefully it will be enough to show these simpletons that I can be as good at commanding as any of those mantis ladies.

Now, while it’s been fun answering weird question put forward by my own insanity, I really need to find a way out of this date… Hmm… I wonder if I can convince my father to call it off… or… maybe I can pretend to be sick? …or I can just try and run off for a while… just long enough to miss the dinner… of course, these are all just short time solutions… I need to find a way to call off this whole wedding thing… hmm… maybe I can scare them away, make sure they won’t buy me? Hmm…

Insert Falsify the expiration date! That will ensure they won’t buy him! I mean, who would buy a husband covered in mold?_
>>
No. 575497 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575496
Haha wow it's The High Priestess. That mantis in white is Lucrais, isn't it? Why is one of her eyes golden? Is it fake? [scan the newcomers]

Anyway we asked about the Belt and the date because fairly soon a beam of light is going to shine from its middle and an "angel" will descend down it- a traveler from another world, which hopefully will assist us in... well, let's wait before dropping THAT bombshell on you. Anyway, it is an important event, so we need to know how long we have to prepare.

As for the date, why don't you go talk to Lucrais, maybe provoke her a little and cause a scene? If you BOTH want to call it off then it probably won't happen. If you have the courage, you could just straight up ask her why she's always hated you.
>>
No. 575507 ID: dbe554

You could always start talking to us out loud and try and show him that you need time to yourself because your medicine seems to not be working.

Also we are supernatural, not your standard mental illness gone wrong, except alot of questions about gender, sex, and all sorts of other tomfoolery.

Also the Lizards complained because they hold that the Individual should be able to claim their rights, as a result they don't care if you are male or female so long as you get the job done and to hold otherwise is just being sexist, you'll do people proud and we will be proud of you.
>>
No. 575511 ID: 48de87

Well, if we are just headvoices, why bother hiding things from us, after all, We are you...Anyway...We should be the best commander ever, To prove them ladies wrong!
>>
No. 575513 ID: 40935b

Something red appeared either behind that potted plant or on the tapestry near the newcomers. Is it a bug or something?

Here's an idea; pull a Hamlet. There is no greater way to scare someone off than revealing you are insane. Hearing voices only makes it easier. Just tell your dad about some of the heavier or more non-sequitur things we're saying loudly enough for the others to overhear. What are they talking about, by the way?

So yeah, we're actually a bunch of teal-colored squid-like things that are floating around your head. Look in a mirror if you want to see. You might want to keep a mirror around too; it helps you see daemons. There's a good chance you'll be fighting them in the near future. You say you've been hearing voices your entire life? I think Jericho said something similar.

Tell me, what do you know about spellswords and the serath desert? And while your at it, how good at military strategy are you?
>>
No. 575521 ID: 65a774
File 140088158655.png - (16.55KB , 900x450 , 7.png )
575521

>[scan the newcomers]
[“The High Priestess” is currently unclaimed!]
[Neutral Creature (Friendly): Loyal Attendant.]
[Neutral Creature (Neutral): Nurse.]

>Well, if we are just headvoices, why bother hiding things from us, after all, We are you...
Because I don’t like brining stuff like that up all the time… and if you actually aren’t me…
>Haha wow it's The High Priestess.
Huh… there’s no priestess around here? Do you mean dad? He’s a Vicar, not a priest.
>That mantis in white is Lucrais, isn't it? Why is one of her eyes golden? Is it fake?
…that’s my mom… and I admit, I don’t know who is actually worse at the moment… mom is… a bit moody right now. As for her eye… well, she used to be a Commander herself and lost the eye in battle. That’s a fake eye… made out of gold…

>Anyway we asked about the Belt and the date because fairly soon a beam of light is going to shine from its middle and an "angel" will descend down it…
>We're actually a bunch of teal-colored squid-like things that are floating around your head.
>Daemons!
…yeah, not helping the whole “Crazy” idea…
>Tell me, what do you know about spellswords and the serath desert?
Err… some, yes? Why? Hmm… I think I got a book or two on those subjects somewhere…
>And while you’re at it, how good at military strategy are you?
Good enough not to get booted out of here. My teacher says my theories are great but the execution still needs a lot of work so… I’m still a student, right?

>If you have the courage, you could just straight up ask her why she's always hated you.
What!? Are you insane!? She’ll bite my head off!
>Here's an idea… there is no greater way to scare someone off than revealing you are insane.
Yeah, that… the kind of crazy needed for them to call off the wedding is probably enough to get me permanently expelled from the school.

>What are they talking about, by the way?
:CeanaNUM: What is taking him so long!? We’re going to be late!
:CathalNUM: Calm down, Ceana, honey, he’s just a bit nervous.
:CeanaNUM: Well, go kick him in the abdomen and tell him to hurry up then, Cathal.
:UnknownKAK: Err… we still got an hour before we are set to arrive, madam, there is still plenty of time.
:CeanaNUM: *Hmfp!* Either way, get that good for nothing son of my ready so we can sell him off already! …and someone bring me a pickle! Right now!
:UnknownKAK: Right away, my lady!

Insert Why is it always pickles?_
>>
No. 575522 ID: dbe554

Your mother is one heck of a bitch isn't she.
>>
No. 575530 ID: 76b151

>>575521
Did your fiancee try to get into this school? Maybe its jealousy.
>>
No. 575532 ID: 7b53bf

heh, know where a mirror is kiddo? Bring a hand mirror if you can swing it, and show people your reflection in it to them, then ask if anything is strange.
>>
No. 575538 ID: dbe554

Also don't be specisist, females only eat your heads in times of extreme famine, as another Mantid was quite sure to tell us repeatedly.
>>
No. 575541 ID: 2bfcdf

Hmm. High Priestess represents wisdom and mystical vision... uh... okay I have no idea how the card fits Ceana. I think we need to find more of the major arcana to get a bigger sample size for determining if it's all inverted meanings or if the card interpretations don't apply to the characters.

>>575521
Hang on, is your mother pregnant? She has food cravings and irritability... Or is she always like that? Oh, you should know that the Serathians are in the midst of developing a way to attach new bodyparts to people. So she could eventually get replacements for her eye and hand.

Why don't you just sneak off for a half hour and tell us more about your situation? What other family members do you have, what resources do you have access to?
>>
No. 575542 ID: 65a774
File 140089118494.png - (15.59KB , 900x450 , 8.png )
575542

>Your mother is one heck of a bitch isn't she.
She’s just… grumpy thanks to her condition. Sure, she’s never had any real love for me, but she’s seems to be in even fouler mood than usual.
:CeanaNUM: RAWR!!
:CathalNUM: Calm down, honeybun! Think about the little ones!
>Hang on, is your mother pregnant? She has food cravings and irritability...
Yes, yes she is. She’s rather far in, too…

>What other family members do you have.
I got three more fathers, though I’ve never really been close to them, mostly because Cathal raised me most of the time, and I got four brothers and a sister none of them really lives nearby anymore.
>what resources do you have access to?
Personally? Not much… I’m a so called “starving” student after all. My family, on the other hand, is… err… was rather rich…
>Also don't be specisist, females only eat your heads in times of extreme famine, as another Mantid was quite sure to tell us repeatedly.
I’m pretty sure she would bite my head off even if she wasn’t a mantis. She’s kind of scary.
>Did your fiancée try to get into this school? Maybe its jealousy.
Hmm… I don’t actually know… I do know that some people were kicked out when I was brought in as a last minute change but… I need more information to confirm that theory.

>Why don't you just sneak off for a half hour and tell us more about your situation?
I don’t know… mom would kill me when I came back but… if I’m gone long enough for them to head home again then maybe she’d calm down until tomorrow… or maybe she’ll just be more angry… anyway, how should I sneak out? We’re on the third floor and mom is standing right in front of the only door out of here.
>Heh, know where a mirror is kiddo? Bring a hand mirror if you can swing it, and show people your reflection in it to them and then ask if anything is strange.
Does this have something to do with the whole squid in the mirror thing you mentioned? …fine, I’ll go check in a mirror if it makes you happy…



…squids… teal squids… I… I… It’s the stress… it has to be… my medicine! Maybe I forgot to… this… no… no squids… this can’t be… It’s not real, IT’S NOT REAL!

Insert The cake?_
>>
No. 575550 ID: 76b151

Don't panic. Just find someone you somewhat trust and ask them to verify what you are seeing. That way you get confirmation you aren't crazy and we're real.
>>
No. 575553 ID: 48de87

Is that us...or something else?

*Wiggle in a little dance*
>>
No. 575555 ID: 40935b

WE TOLD YOU WE WERE SQUIDS, BRO
WE TOLD YOU DOG

If you think that's bad, someone scrawled the words "DON'T TRUST HER" on the wall behind that bookcase, and I think there might be someone lurking outside the window. So no, you aren't insane; they really ARE out to get you.

Anyway, you look like you're going into shock, so lie down for a bit and we'll talk about something less horrific. Did you ever think it's possible your mother doesn't want you to suffer the same injuries that she got when she was a commander? That, plus money troubles and another kid on the way will defiantly make for a shitty attitude. Try to cut her just a little slack. You ought to talk to her about it later.

Now, let's think about this together for a minute. We need a way to get out of a marriage without getting out of school, with an optional objective of 'don't commit matricide'. Now, someone breaking into your room and writing on your walls might be enough to call off dinner if you can play it right, but like you said, that's a temporary solution. Whatever we do, it will likely require subversive action and a bit of planning.

Whether you want to keep us secret or not is up to you. You know the political landscape better than we do, but in most cases, it's wise to keep all your cards hidden, understand?
>>
No. 575557 ID: dbe554

Just to make sure your not just 'seeing us' and you can feel us as well to make sure you can't avoid the feeling.

*Cyan Squid Beard pose is go!*

But yes it's generally better to calm down, don't panic and let your mind drift to something happy. We aren't malevolent beings after all and you are our new king.
>>
No. 575558 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575542
Calm down. The blue squids are real, even though you are apparently crazy. Stop hallucinating bloody writing on the walls this instant! If you want confirmation, find your doctor or someone else who won't freak out and get you thrown out of school or whatever, and show him a mirror.

Hey, is that someone in the window? Looks like one of our other choices for King. We saw him in the Strength stained glass window... along with a white mantis with red eyes. Sound familiar?
[scan that guy in the window.]
>>
No. 575582 ID: 9a281a

>I… w-what? That’s a b-bit… personal, isn’t it!?
Well, not if you think we're part of your own mind. Of course we aren't, but.

>It’s not real, IT’S NOT REAL!
...I'm afraid we are.

Look, do you want to be crazy? Wouldn't you rather be visited by people trying to help you, than worry about losing it again?

If you want proof, ask us about a subject you don't have a good background on. Not something like local history or politics that's context sensitive. But if you'd like us to ramble on about mathematics or philosophy or biology or literary theory or something you don't know anything about, we can, and then you can look it up and confirm.

After all, if we're you, we shouldn't be able to know things you don't, right?
>>
No. 575584 ID: 006bc7

Since you're denying what you're seeing there's no point in us telling you that what you're seeing is real. You'll have to show us to someone you trust to confirm you're not hallucinating. For now just take deep, even breaths and calm down.

You should know for if and when you do try to show us to others in the mirror that most people can't see us. Most often it's those who we could possibly speak to who can see us. Your best bet would be Cathal, but your mother likely could see us as well. Yes, they both have the potential for us to speak to them.

And if you're looking for a way to sneak out of here despite being on the third floor, how 'bout you ask the dude peeking in just outside your window. He must have gotten up there somehow, so maybe you can get out that way. He's also probably the same person who painted "don't trust her" on the wall behind those stacked bed frames, so we'd kinda like to ask him who "her" is.

But if you feel climbing across the side of a castle to escape dinner with Lucrais is more danger to life and limb than just going would be, then I have an argument for you not going you could give to Cathal. Tell him that since this marriage is going to go through whether you go to this dinner or not, it'd be better if you didn't because the more often you're near Lucrais is the more often that something could go horribly wrong. Something Like you cracking and sinking a salad fork in her eye, or having a nervous breakdown in the middle of the restaurant, stripping naked and throwing plates at the patrons. Honestly, the less time you're near Lucrais before the wedding day, the better.

You said your family was rather rich, so how did they lose their fortune, how recent was it, and how much would your marriage go towards restoring it? Maybe if we can find a way to pay off your mother a value equal or greater than your marriage would bring to the family you could negotiate your way out of it.

Here's a couple questions that'll give us a general idea of when we are: Daithi, is the Serath currently a desert or a jungle? And about how long does it take news from there to get here?

Out of curiosity, when did you first start hearing the voices you're taking medication for? What did they tell you, did what they tell you change over time and how, and what did they sound like? And when was the last time you heard them and what did they tell you then?
>>
No. 575595 ID: 3f0c1b

Take a deep breath and calm down. Panicking won't solve anything.

>>575557
Agreed *beard formation*
>>
No. 575603 ID: 65a774
File 140094554074.png - (15.70KB , 900x450 , 9.png )
575603

>[scan that guy in the window.]
[“The Moon” belongs to Player White!]

>Don't panic. Take a deep breath and calm down. Panicking won't solve anything.
Yes… breathe… calm… ocean waves… singing birds… waterfall…
>If you think that's bad, someone scrawled the words "DON'T TRUST HER" on the wall behind that bookcase.
No…nono… stop it… it’s not real… the text is never real… and its several beds stacked on each other, not a bookcase…
>Stop hallucinating bloody writing on the walls this instant!
Everyone isn’t against… no one wants to murder you… I… I need some medicine…

>We aren't malevolent beings after all and you are our new king.
…wait, I’m your king? Does that mean I get to order you around or?
>If you want proof, ask us about a subject you don't have a good background on.
…um… you mentioned the Serath desert, right? …hmm… tell me… the name of the crown prince there.

>I think there might be someone lurking outside the window.
Wha- who would… wait…
:DaithiNUM: Cedric? What the hell are you doing here!?
:CedricNUM: Well, your mom’s servants chased me away when I tried to come and ask you if you wanted to down a few ales with me, so I thought you might need saving from something boring.
:DaithiNUM: …and you’re willing to help me so long as I buy the first ale?
:CedricNUM: Naturally~ Now, if you want to come with me, hurry, I need to put the ladder back before the groundskeeper found out I “borrowed” it again.
>We saw him in the Strength stained glass window... along with a white mantis with red eyes. Sound familiar?
...why would Cedric have a stained… never mind. Hmm… white mantis? I’ve never seen a white mantis before…
>Just find someone you somewhat trust and ask them to verify what you are seeing. That way you get confirmation you aren't crazy and we're real.
:DaithiNUM: Err… can you do me a quick favor? Look in the mirror for me…
:CedricNUM: Oh, hey, they got you too? Hmm… squids? At least mine looks more like an angel.
:DaithiNUM: …wait, what?
:CedricNUM: Started talking to me just a day or two ago… real weird… but at least I’m not crazy, eh? …um… why is one of them dancing and… are they making a beard?
:DaithiNUM: Don’t ask me!

>Whether you want to keep us secret or not is up to you.
Yeah… telling people you hear voices aren’t the best course of action… even if you are… um… real…
>Did you ever think it's possible your mother doesn't want you to suffer the same injuries that she got when she was a commander?
Except, she… err… she helped me get into the school in the first place… without her… um…
>That, plus money troubles and another kid on the way will defiantly make for a shitty attitude. Try to cut her just a little slack. You ought to talk to her about it later.
She’s more grumpy then usual right now, sure, but she’s still my mother…
>I have an argument for you not going you could give to Cathal. Tell him that since this marriage is going to go through whether you go to this dinner or not, it'd be better if you didn't because the more often you're near Lucrais is the more often that something could go horribly wrong.
Except it was her family that invited our family to dinner. Her mother wants to negotiate with my mother while we interact with each other like the good little products that we are.

>You said your family was rather rich, so how did they lose their fortune, how recent were it, and how much would your marriage go towards restoring it?
Well, it’s a slow process… my mother was a famous commander when she was young and earned a fortune, while all my dads don’t really have any big income jobs so… several years after mom went into retirement the money started dwindle thanks to our spending habits. Marring away all her sons to rich and influential families will ensure that she doesn’t run out completely.
>Maybe if we can find a way to pay off your mother a value equal or greater than your marriage would bring to the family you could negotiate your way out of it.
Well, sure, but where are we supposed to find that kind of dosh? The only thing I can come up with is to find someone else to marry that I actually like, but what’s the chance of that happening?
>Daithi, is the Serath currently a desert or a jungle? And about how long does it take news from there to get here?
Um… it’s a desert? Why would it be a jungle? Oh, and it takes about two weeks to sail over the great sea… and two weeks more, give or take, for any traders to reach this city.
>Out of curiosity, when did you first start hearing the voices you're taking medication for?
I… can’t remember. Since forever?
>What did they tell you, did what they tell you change over time and how, and what did they sound like?
They sounded like people I know… not like you guys… you guys sounds like… a legion of voices, men and women, talking in unison. They generally told me that everyone is lying to me, hate me and want to see me dead and stuff like that… um… I’m rather paranoid, right?

*Knock*Knock*
:CathalNUM: Son? Are you ready? We really need to get going now…
:CedricNUM: Are you coming?
:DaithiNUM: Wait, I might be able to talk my way out of this…
:CedricNUM: You’re not going to be able to sneak out if you stay and talk.
:DaithiNUM: …you’re right… hmm… do I sneak out, ensuring that I escape the dinner but surly angering mother, or do I try to talk my way out... it’s riskier but if I do it right mom might just be disappointed instead of angry…

Insert What is worse, disappointment or anger?_
>>
No. 575604 ID: dbe554

Well we don't know why we were born squids, we aren't one but many. Though it might be best to escape through the window, this sounds like a conversation you've had many a time but never been able to avoid.
>>
No. 575606 ID: dbe554

Also of note, we are very easily amused.
>>
No. 575607 ID: ec2a0b

Don't freak out, that would just proof the preconception about male mental frailness.
>>
No. 575608 ID: 7b53bf

Easily amused explains the beard and the dancing.
As for those other voices, that sounds like you've got a wraith problem to me boyo! I'll let the others do the explaining of what they are though.
Personally...As tempting as sneaking out is...I'm looking at this situation and the trouble is, if we go, we burn yet more credit with Mother...Which is a resource that's scarce right now, in favor of our own sanity.
On the flipside, we're great talkers! We could probably help you smooth over whatever the trouble with Lucrais is, and whatnot, which would make a good situation out of a bad one...
And no offense to your friend but...His plan, while nice-sounding, I feel like it'd only delay the inevitable, and worsen it. Cover his getaway, it's not a bad idea, but let's save it for a REAL emergency, yanno?
>>
No. 575609 ID: 9a281a

>They generally told me that everyone is lying to me, hate me and want to see me dead and stuff like that… um… I’m rather paranoid, right?
Not your fault, really. Having those kinds of things rubbed in all the time without any recourse can have that effect.

>wait, I’m your king? Does that mean I get to order you around or?
It's kind of a chess reference. You're the piece we're supposed to protect.

But if there's something you'd like? Sure, ask and we'll do what we can to help.

>you mentioned the Serath desert, right? …hmm… tell me… the name of the crown prince there.
Well, assuming we're not too far off in time, that would be Eliraz Drah'kon, son of Sultan Leanah Drah'kon and Ethros, brother of Elizah and Eliros (they were triplets), and cousin and lover of Jericho Drah’kon the second.

Depending on when exactly this is- Leanah is a skeleton or dead-dead, Eliraz is alive or a ghoul, and Jer is a mummy or maybe-dead-dead, and Eliros was exiled and left to die in the desert for an attempted coup.

Also, Eliraz is a hermaphrodite, although I'm not sure if the books around here would verify that. He did present as a girl for a while when he was a child, so you might find conflicting records if you went far back enough?
>>
No. 575615 ID: cae5f0

Stay, and blame us.

(We should greet white, but first...)
[scan corruption:self]
[scan corruption:white]
>>
No. 575616 ID: 40935b

Tell your dad exactly what's happening; The voices are incessant, you're seeing writing on the walls- even your reflection isn't as it should be. You'd honestly just like to stay in your room and wait for this to blow over. Be sure to add that you'd hate to make them reschedule, but you'd hate for it to end in disaster even worse.

Something tells me that putting up with your moms' anger might be slightly more tolerable than her snide derision, though. If that's the case, just bail with Cedric.
>>
No. 575617 ID: 65a774
File 140095585719.png - (16.86KB , 900x450 , 10.png )
575617

>[scan corruption: self][scan corruption: white]
[Corruption at 0%.]

>We are very easily amused.
That would explain the beard and dance…
>It's kind of a chess reference. You're the piece we're supposed to protect.
Oh! Chess! So if I am taken you lose? Hmm… then we need to build a proper defense with pawns, don’t we?
>But if there's something you'd like? Sure, ask and we'll do what we can to help.
Well, for starters, get me out of this mess. Preferable with my head still on my shoulders.

>Well, assuming we're not too far off in time, that would be Eliraz Drah'kon, son of Sultan Leanah Drah'kon and Ethros, brother of Elizah and Eliros (they were triplets), and cousin and lover of Jericho Drah’kon the second.
Err… I’ll try to remember that…
>”Lots of information about the Serathian royal family”…
Really, I just wanted one name! …and you did kind of prove yourself with the mirror already!

>Personally...As tempting as sneaking out is...I'm looking at this situation and the trouble is, if we go, we burn yet more credit with Mother...Which is a resource that's scarce right now, in favor of our own sanity.
:DaithiNUM: …I’ll try to talk my way out of this. I can’t risk mother wrath getting any worse.
:CedricNUM: I see… well, then I wish you best of luck, friend.
>And no offense to your friend but...His plan, while nice-sounding, I feel like it'd only delay the inevitable, and worsen it. Cover his getaway, it's not a bad idea, but let's save it for a REAL emergency, yanno?
:CedricNUM: Don’t worry about me, I just need to hurry getting the ladder back before the groundskeeper gets back. See you later, Dai.

>Tell your dad exactly what's happening;
:DaithiNUM: Father… I… I’m not feeling so well…
:CathalNUM: Really? You’re not faking it to skip the dinner, are you?
>The voices are incessant, you're seeing writing on the walls- even your reflection isn't as it should be.
:CathalNUM: Hmm? It’s getting worse? …hmm… maybe it’s the stress and… your disagreement with lady Lucrais but… if it continues then tell me, please, and then we’ll need to see the doctor again. Alright, son?
:DaithiNUM: Of course, father.
:CathalNUM: I’ll talk to your mother and see if I can postpone the dinner for a while… at least she’s calmed down a bit after she got that pickle…
:UnknownKAK: Ma’am, message from the Baideal family. Lady Lucrais has taken ill and the dinner needs to be canceled.
:CeanaNUM: What? Why did they wait to the last minute before informing us!?
:UnknownKAK: There’s more… Lady Baideal wants to see you over lunch tomorrow, to discuss the negotiations.
:CeanaNUM: Hmm… send a message back that I’ll see her over lunch, then.
:CathalNUM: Well, that’s that, I guess…
:DaithiNUM: So, I’m fre-
:CathalNUM: No, you’re not. You need to lie down and rest, son. Attendant, stay here and make sure
Daithi stays in the dorm for the rest of the night.
:UnknownKAK: Of course, sir. I’ll make sure he doesn’t leave, sir.
:DaithiNUM: (Aw, man… I wanted to share those ales with Cedric…)
:CathalNUM: And that, as they say, is that. We’ll be taking our leave then, son. Just make sure you get plenty of rest and tell us if it gets any worse, alright?
:CeanaNUM: Dai, dear, I’m sorry to have gotten you all exited for nothing. I know you have your disagreements with Lady Lucrais, but you have to understand, we’re only doing this for you. Now, give your mother a hug before we leave.

Insert Hugs for everyone!_
>>
No. 575620 ID: 9a281a

Hug your mother (no need to be rude or unkind of no reason) and retire to your room.

Looks like we did what we needed to to escape tonight's engagement, but it wasn't necessary. That's the problem with strategy- you can make missteps if you don't have all the information.

Ah well, call it a draw. Mission accomplished, at a cost.

So... what do you have to do in here, besides sleep?

>Really, I just wanted one name!
...I didn't even follow the family line further bag, just in case in turns out this is in the past relative to the last time we were in Serath!
>>
No. 575625 ID: 40935b

Nuts. Sorry if we shouldn't have taken the cautious route; we're naturally paranoid.

It sounds like Lucrais wants out as much as you do. It might be wise for the two of you to coordinate your efforts to get the wedding called off. Hopefully you can tolerate each other long enough to succeed, you'll never have to put up with each other again.

>but you have to understand, we’re only doing this for you
... Does she actually believe that? Is she actually being serious right now?
She looks relatively calm, so if you want to explain the situation, now's the time.

Hug her, if you absolutely have to. Try not to retch.
>>
No. 575626 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575617
I think we can get Cedric back for you, unless it's too late.
[Message to player White: Hello there. Can you get Cedric to come back with that ladder? Daithi is free for the night. If it's too late that's fine. Oh, and have you heard of any Daemon activity yet?]

Oh, and I was mistaken about Cedric. He's not "Strength", that was a priest with an eyepatch and scar, who happened to have the same eye color and skin color as Cedric. Cedric is "The Moon", which is one of the windows we didn't see. Since you're confused about the windows I'll clear things up. We have other pieces in play, and one of them managed to get into a ruin with a bunch of traps and shit alongside stained glass windows depicting various people, some of which we knew but most of which were of people we had yet to meet. Turns out we're meeting all those people now. Interestingly, the window depicting The Magician did not have you in it- there was a black spot instead, that looked similar to an unfurled scroll crackling with black energy. We were told The Magician wasn't decided yet, but that's strange since all the other choices for king had cards associated with them already... except the female mantis choice, maybe. I wonder if we had picked the female mantis, they would've been The Magician? The Magician is a male card though.

The Moon represents confusion, fantasy, psychological conflict, things like that. I didn't get that impression from Cedric at all, so perhaps the card meanings are reversed.
>>
No. 575627 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575625
>... Does she actually believe that? Is she actually being serious right now?

It's probably because having money benefits the whole family.
>>
No. 575630 ID: 92fbe9

Is she really doing this all for you? Considering that she must have pulled strings and thrown around money to secure your entrance to the Academy and your continuing attendance here, then perhaps she is, or at least believes she is. Maybe she believes she's doing the best she can to secure the future of a son who's not quite right in the head and chose a unpopular career path. Or she could be throwing you under the proverbial bus to better secure the future of the family and keep herself in the lifestyle she's accustomed to. Or it's a mix of all of these. We just can't say with what we know now. Better just go along and not antagonize her until we find out more.

Give your mother a hug - a genuine one -, and thank her for what she's done to get you into the Academy. And give your father a hug as well.

Ask if the attendant could let you visit the Academy library to pick out some things to read while you're resting. Otherwise your mind is going to wander to bad places and you won't be able to get to sleep. If they agree then you can pick out books to check what we've told you and convert the date to what we asked before.

I highly doubt that Lucrais actually took ill. It's most likely she faked it to get out of going to dinner. She probably wants to get out of marrying you as much if not more than you do. Considering that, she actually could be your best ally in finding a way to do that, if you could communicate with her without her getting hostile to you.

I'd suggest penning a letter to Lucrais, laying out that you don't want to marry her as much as she obviously doesn't want to marry you, proposing a temporary alliance to figure out a way to get out of this mess, and to arrange to meet outside the view of both your families to discuss this. You'd need a way to get the letter to her without her or your family possibly intercepting it. Perhaps send it via a third party.

>>575626
I think this is a bad idea. If Daithi does sneak out and the attendant checks on him at any point, or if somehow word gets back to Ceana from the pub that Daithi was there, then Ceana's gonna flip her lid. I'm envisioning bars being installed on his dorm room window afterwards, and that'll just be the start of it.

I'd say still send a message to White, but alter it to say that Daithi played the "crazy card" and is now stuck with the family attendant watching over him so he gets his rest.

Ceana's golden prosthesis swapping sides is just an art error and nothing sinister, right?
>>
No. 575631 ID: 65a774
File 140096806336.png - (15.07KB , 900x450 , 11.png )
575631

>Ceana's golden prosthesis swapping sides is just an art error and nothing sinister, right?
Accidently reversed it instead of changing the sprite completely, so art error, yes.
>[Message to player White…]
[You can’t yet send messages yet! Please level up your character before trying again!]

>Give your mother a hug - a genuine one -, and thank her for what she's done to get you into the Academy. And give your father a hug as well.
:DaithiNUM: Mom?
:CeanaNUM: Yes, dear?
:DaithiNUM: Thank you for helping me get into the Academy.
:CeanaNUM: It was the least I could do, my little grasshopper.
>... Does she actually believe that?
:DaithiNUM: …you did this for me?
:CeanaNUM: You’re part of the family, yes? I’m simply building a foundation for the future, see? …besides, it’s about time you found some nice mantis lady to start a family with and Lady Lucrais is rather sweet when you get to know her… um… even if you don’t agree with her all the time.
:DaithiNUM: I’m pretty sure she wants to rearrange my facial structure with her claws.
:CeanaNUM: I’m sure you’re exaggerating as usual… *Sigh* Dai, darling, you know how you are with other people. You have to calm down and stop seeing things that aren’t there. Not everyone is against you, dear.
>She looks relatively calm, so if you want to explain the situation, now's the time.
:DaithiNUM: Mother…?
:CeanaNUM: Yes, dear?
:DaithiNUM: I… um… I… never mind. Goodbye and goodnight, mom…
:CeanaNUM: I’ll see you soon, my little grasshopper.
:CathalNUM: Remember what I told you son, and take care.
>Ask if the attendant could let you visit the Academy library to pick out some things to read while you're resting.
:UnknownKAK: Hmm, as long as I can accompany you, then yes.
:DaithiNUM: Let me just get my library card then…

>Looks like we did what we needed to to escape tonight's engagement, but it wasn't necessary. That's the problem with strategy- you can make missteps if you don't have all the information.
Information is the key to victory, yes… that and adapting.
>It sounds like Lucrais wants out as much as you do. It might be wise for the two of you to coordinate your efforts to get the wedding called off.
Hmm… finding an ally with the enemy? Risky but… rewarding…
>I'd suggest penning a letter to Lucrais, laying out that you don't want to marry her as much as she obviously doesn't want to marry you, proposing a temporary alliance to figure out a way to get out of this mess, and to arrange to meet outside the view of both your families to discuss this.
Hmm… that would work… though I have to admit, I’m not really adroit or savvy enough to write anything groundbreaking…
>Cedric is "The Moon", it represents confusion, fantasy, psychological conflict, things like that. I didn't get that impression from Cedric at all, so perhaps the card meanings are reversed.
Wait, are your talking about Tarot cards? Hmm… didn’t the moon symbolize stuff like creativity, inspiration and dreams? …or was it madness and illusions? Hmm… I have to look that up.
>So... what do you have to do in here, besides sleep?
Well… I got some books and board games here… but with no one else to play with… err…

:DaithiNUM: Cedric?
:CedricNUM: Huh? You came back? So you successfully talked them down!?
:DaithiNUM: Um… in a sense… but what are you doing here?
:CedricNUM: Well, you see… apparently the groundskeeper, or someone else, found the ladder and removed it while I was in here talking to you. You know how you can see the whole roof outside from the ground? I’m assuming whoever took the ladder thought someone had forgotten it there as no one was on the roof. Either way, I was on my way out through your dorm… but enough about that, what’s up?

Insert Creative madness!_
>>
No. 575633 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575631
Why is he standing on the bed then? As for The Moon I suppose tarot card meanings can vary a lot in interpretation... What's Cedric like?

Well whatever, tell him you were gonna go to the library because the whole thing got called off.
>>
No. 575651 ID: 21148f

Facepalm, and be thankful there are multiple beds in that room, oor you could just bring this up now, depending on how bad it would be for Cedric to be found here. Maybe talk this deliemma over with him.
...Kinda wanna have ya show us to mother to say that things will change... For the better or worse is gonna be hard to say though!
>>
No. 575655 ID: 92fbe9

Cedric took a lot of time to tell you that, so the attendant might ask what's taking so long. If she does, tell her your library card fell behind the cabinet and shift it over so it sounds like you're retrieving it.

Quickly tell Cedric the basics of what happened and that the family attendant is going to be watching the door to make sure you get your rest. So unless he wants to end up stuck in here overnight with you he should take off while you're down in the library. Though it'd be nice if he could come back after, tell the attendant he's your friend and ask if she'll let him visit. Then you two could kill the time talking and playing board games... And maybe he could smuggle in a couple bottles of ale as well.

Also ask Cedric to stand in front of the mirror so you (and us) can get a look at what his "angel" looks like. Oh, and if he knows who was kicked out of the Academy to make room for you.

So, how did Cedric come to be your friend? From what we gather, you have a tough time with people. I'd guess making friends is not easy for you.

Have you considered that your mental illness is inflating how bad you perceive the conflicts you've had with Lucrais? Perhaps you should arrange a meeting with her so we can observe and tell you what's really going on. In fact, arranging a meeting with her could give you the chance you need to talk to her without your families listening in. Just say you want to meet in private to try and work things out somewhat and come to some agreement before you two are married. Maybe they'll actually give you two privacy to talk.

Hey, could you tell us just what it is that you and Lucrais have disagreed over? Was it something you said, or was she just disagreeable right out of the gate?
>>
No. 575657 ID: dbe554

>>575633

He's probably standing on it because that's where he could see out the window to get to the Ladder.

As for such he does seem like a good friend, once we grow in strength we could try and ally with white.

Actually ask him about White, we cannot speak to each other yet and so we must rely on communication, ask them how they feel about us.
>>
No. 575661 ID: 9a281a

>tarot card meanings
They all have more than one meaning, by design. The problem is you're supposed to use the context or arrangement to figure out what the meaning is. If information is the key to victory... we don't have enough.

>You came back? So you successfully talked them down!?
I successfully plaid the crazy card. That, and she bailed, apparently.
>>
No. 575662 ID: 40935b

Why exactly are there 4 beds stacked on top of each other, anyway?

> I… um… I… never mind.
Is that all? Man, don't give your father flak for being a doormat if you won't stand up to your mother either.

Now, let's treat our plans for this little escapade into political subversion like practice for wargames. After all, all warfare is based in deception. Knowledge of the enemy's dispositions can only be obtained from other men. Ergo, espionage. If your fancy commander school won't teach you about that, drop out now because they're a bunch of hacks.

A good first step is to contact potential allies. Start with enlisting Cedric, and then try to write a letter to your would-be fiance to either meet you somewhere or come up with some other way you could stay in contact discreetly. Remember, right now we need information before we can act.
>>
No. 575666 ID: 3f0c1b

Cedric is still here? Excellent, it seems we can't communicate with White yet but with him here we can talk indirectly.

Tell him to pass on to White that Teal says hi and wonders if there is a chance of us being allies.
>>
No. 575675 ID: 65a774
File 140098000044.png - (17.05KB , 900x450 , 12.png )
575675

>As for The Moon I suppose tarot card meanings can vary a lot in interpretation... What's Cedric like?
Well… and don’t know about confusion or psychological conflict, but he’s certainly creative. I mean, one time in a war game he successfully captured a fort by building a giant wooden Ankwark, filling it with “explosives”, tricking the enemy to pull it inside the fort and then while most of the enemy forces surrounded the wooden animal and put it to the “flame” to burn out the ambush they thought was in it, he and his forces snuck in trough a back door that he successfully bribed the cook to keep open. Of course, the best part was that he filled the Ankwark with yogurt instead of fake explosive, thus covering the whole enemy force in it when they broke it down… I still have no idea where he got that much yogurt from… Oh, and he got a problem standing still too… and if he actually manage to sit still he usually just start day dreaming instead… let’s just say that the theory teachers hates him…

>From what we gather, you have a tough time with people. I'd guess making friends is not easy for you.
Well, I’ve never been good with people.
>So, how did Cedric come to be your friend?
I can’t remember exactly. We met when we were kids… hmm… I think we met the first time at school… and it kind of just hit off.
>Have you considered that your mental illness is inflating how bad you perceive the conflicts you've had with Lucrais?
I… I’m… *sigh* Mother is probably right. I’m usually remembering things worse than they were…
>Hey, could you tell us just what it is that you and Lucrais have disagreed over? Was it something you said, or was she just disagreeable right out of the gate?
I don’t know. Her mother and my mother are old friends so we’ve seen each other when we were smaller, but we never really spoke with each other. Then one day about a year ago she came up to me and called me a plebian… and… other stuff that I rather not say… oh, and she threw a glass of wine in my face.
>Why exactly are there 4 beds stacked on top of each other, anyway?
Because there’s supposed to be five people sleeping in here… or ten if they bring in the double decker beds. Every Dorm got one main hall and six sleeping quarters, each with five to ten beds in them… but as I’m the only male mantis in school I get the whole male mantis dorm for myself…
>Is that all? Man, don't give your father flak for being a doormat if you won't stand up to your mother either.
Hey! She’s kind of scary, alright!?

>Why is he standing on the bed then?
:CedricNUM: Um… because I need to climb on it to reach the window?
>Quickly tell Cedric the basics of what happened and that the family attendant is going to be watching the door to make sure you get your rest. So unless he wants to end up stuck in here overnight with you he should take off while you're down in the library.
:CedricNUM: Err… I’m pretty sure I can just walk out the door? I mean, the only reason I came through the window in the first place was because your mother wanted some privacy, and she’s not here anymore, right?
>Ask if he knows who was kicked out of the Academy to make room for you.
:CedricNUM: Heck if I know.
>Actually ask him about White, we cannot speak to each other yet and so we must rely on communication, ask them how they feel about us.
:CedricNUM: Hmm… She’s rather… indifferent, really. She said she just started this character so she can’t really say anything for certain yet.
>Tell him to pass on to White that Teal says hi and wonders if there is a chance of us being allies.
:CedricNUM: She says, “Sure, but I don’t really have a goal yet…”.

>Now, let's treat our plans for this little escapade into political subversion like practice for wargames.
Hmm… I’m pretty sure we can ignore defending ourselves from scouts and spies so the first thing we should do is gathering information and finding allies.
>A good first step is to contact potential allies. Start with enlisting Cedric.
:CedricNUM: …does this mean we’ll have more time drinking together?
:DaithiNUM: Of course.
:CedricNUM: Then I’m in.

>Then try to write a letter to your would-be fiance to either meet you somewhere or come up with some other way you could stay in contact discreetly.
:DaithiNUM: Do you know how to write letters? I mean, in a well refined manner?
:CedricNUM: Hey, don’t ask me. I usually just throw something together.
:daithiNUM: Hmm… there’s also the problem of getting the letter to her…
:CedricNUM: Write her name and address on it? I mean, you know where she lives… or better yet, just walk up there and knock on the door. I’m pretty sure her mom won’t stop her from having a chat with her husband to be.
:DaithiNUM: But what if they are watching us? To make sure we don’t… you know…
:CedricNUM: Dai, they want you to do the “you know” with their daughter. I’m pretty sure they’ll give you the privacy you need if you ask them too.
>Well whatever, tell him you were gonna go to the library.
:CedricNUM: So… why the library again?
:DaithiNUM: Right… I was here to find a book about the Serath deserts… and… um… was there something else I needed to know or… I mean, this place got a lot of information…?
:UnknownKAK: Hi there, cutie~ can I help you with anything? Find a book, maybe? Recommend one? Extend your vocabulary, maybe~

Insert Read a book, you plebian!_
>>
No. 575681 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575675
Looking up the standard interpretations of tarot cards in this world would be a good idea- specifically the Major Arcana. A book on Daemons would be nice, maybe they have some information we don't have yet.

...I wonder if White is the new "angel" player. It kindof sounds like it, but I thought that was supposed to happen after the beam of light. Please find a Serathian calendar so we can check the date, please. Also find some information on the ruins under the Belt. Plus information about the Belt itself, or if you have some really esoteric tomes, information about the Words of the world.
>>
No. 575691 ID: dbe554

White certainly picked an interesting design, white angelic mantis type.

Also are you hit on often here? I mean being the only male in an all female school must have led to some sort of propositions from the bigger sex.
>>
No. 575692 ID: 9a281a

Well, if she's so friendly and helpful that makes finding information easier.

Although you don't need the information on Serath so much to prove we exist, since you've got independent verification from your friend. I suppose it might be useful to us, though.
>>
No. 575733 ID: 65a774
File 140102607453.png - (17.35KB , 900x450 , 13.png )
575733

>White certainly picked an interesting design, white angelic mantis type.
Well, now I’ve seen a white mantis like you asked when we first met Cedric… but her eyes are yellow, not red…
>Are you hit on often here? I mean being the only male in an all-female school must have led to some sort of propositions from the bigger sex.
Actually, there are a lot of guys in this school. It’s just… they are humans and lizards. But… well… I do get hit on a lot by the human and lizards gals… and even guys sometimes… but most of the mantis ladies wants nothing to do with me. Well, except the head librarian, but she hit’s on everyone that got a D of some kind.

>Well, if she's so friendly and helpful that makes finding information easier.
:UnknownKAK: Let’s see… sir Daithi, correct?
:DaithiNUM: That’s correct.
:UnknownKAK: …and Cedric… I have to remind you that you got a book checked out that needs to be returned before sunset tomorrow.
:CedricNUM: I’ll return it first thing tomorrow, I swear!
:UnknownKAK: Oh, I hope you do… and I hope you don’t forget… again… or else I’ll have to hunt you down and MAKE YOU PAY!
:CedricNUM: AAH!!
:UnknownKAK: A fine.
:CedricNUM: …oh, that’s not-
:UnknownKAK: PAID IN PAIN!!
:CedricNUM: AAH!!
:UnknownKAK: -full amount of coin.
:CedricNUM: Um… “aah!”?
:UnknownKAK: Now, what can I help you two gentlemen with?

>Please find a Serathian calendar so we can check the date, please.
Hmm… you said the 12th of Eranos, 3995, correct? That would be... that was nearly exactly three months ago… huh…
>Looking up the standard interpretations of tarot cards in this world would be a good idea- specifically the Major Arcana.
Well, I better bring this book with me if there are more tarot cards around. But first, let’s check up on the Moon… Hmmm… Seems like we were both correct. It represents confusion, fantasy, psychological conflict, creativity, inspiration, dreams, madness, illusions, fear, fantasy, the subconscious and trickery. Masters of illusions, lotus eating machines and shape shifters can often be associated with it.
:UnknownKAK: Oh, Tarot? I love that kind of mystic stuff! Maybe you can read my future? I think we got a deck of tarot cards in one of the board game bookcases.
:DaithiNUM: Err… I can’t really… um…
:UnknownKAK: HEY! Cedric!! Stop climbing on the bookcases!
:CedricNUM: But how else am I supposed to reach the top shelf?
:UnknownKAK: There’s a ladder right over there!
:CedricNUM: But it’s all the way over there!
>Find some information on the ruins under the Belt. Plus information about the Belt itself.
:UnknownKAK: Ruins? That’s just a landmark, nothing else. Your best bet is probably this book about myths and legends about the belts itself… or a book about astrology if your into that.
:DaithiNUM: I’ll just take the book about legends, thank you.
>Information about the Words of the world.
:UnknownKAK: …the what? Never heard about words of the world before…
>A book on Daemons would be nice, maybe they have some information we don't have yet.
:UnknownKAK: Daemons? Actually, we have a book about the Daemons worshippers but it’s lent out right now. There were some daemon hunters just earlier today borrowing it… of course, they should have come back by now. Hey, you know what? Do you want to do me a favor? I’d love to grab my battle axe and get that book back but I need to work tonight.
:DaithiNUM: Um… how are we even supposed to find it?
:UnknownKAK: I got a tracking spell on it so I can see exactly were it is at all times. In fact, it’s been out at that landmark under the star belt all day.
:DaithiNUM: You put tracking spells on the books!?
:UnknownKAK: Only the valuable ones. So, what do you say? Want to help a girl in need, oh mighty hero? I’m sure such a strong and handsome hero like you would have no pr- HEY! Get off the desk, you barbarian!!
:CedricNUM: But how am I supposed to reach the top she-
:UnknownKAK: You’re not even checking the top shelf! You’re just jumping around!

Insert Conan the librarian_
>>
No. 575735 ID: dbe554

He seems like he has some fun, we should do it though just to get it.

Also who is depicted on those windows?
>>
No. 575743 ID: 9a281a

>retrieve book!
>it’s been out at that landmark under the star belt all day
...I'm going to assume she doesn't mean Aerathin's Belt. That would quite the trip, wouldn't it.

Assuming the book is somewhere closer nearby, I see no problem with accepting her request.
>>
No. 575756 ID: 40935b

Looks like you found an excuse to leave the building.

I hope you're armed, because a book just sitting around in a public space all day sounds like a trap.
>>
No. 575762 ID: 1583de

Daithi, the four Words of the World are runes of godly power from the Ancient Age that used together could either seal the daemon realm away from this world, or throw the gates open to it. They also have the power to change the world. The one that was (or is) sealed under the Serathian capitol was (or could be) used to restore the Serath to the jungle it was in the Ancient Age. Needless to say, whomever holds the Words will decide the fate of the world.

That "angel" we told you would descend from Aerathin's Belt is actually a new god entering this world; An event that hasn't happened since the Ancient Age. Whoever gets it on their side will have a major advantage going forward. That means every daemon and player that can is converging on that spot under the Belt. We know that the leader of the opposing daemon faction, The King Clad in Gold, will be pulling out all the stops to get this new god on his side. That daemon hunters have shown up and are hanging around under the Belt is no surprise. Be prepared to either run or fight once you get there. Oh, and pack a spyglass or binoculars if you can to scope out the landmark too.

You definitely should go get that book. If daemon hunters wanted it it probably contains important information we could use. It'll also give us a chance to make contact with the daemon hunters. You just need a way to sneak past your family's attendant.

The attendant is watching, so tell the head librarian you can't, but Cedric could. Once she gives him the locator, tell him to get the ladder once you're in your dorm room and climb up to get you. And this time he should stick a big note on the ladder that has "DO NOT MOVE THIS LADDER" written on it. Hopefully that'll deter people from moving it this time.

So it's been three months since we were in the Serath and there's no news about it changing from desert to jungle. This doesn't bode well for our side having retrieved the Word. I think this might be a future where Jericho died and we failed.

Daithi, ask the librarian if she has any news from the Serath that's from three months ago or later, and also where you could go to find the latest news from there. Maybe you could swing by there once you get out of the Academy.

[Display current number of AI and real players] This'll tell us if the new "god" has entered the world yet. If it hasn't then White definitely isn't it.

Ask White if she'll promise not to claim your mother or father as her pawns. Yes, Daithi, they're free pawns, and any player who sees them can claim them if they have a free slot. We'd very much like to claim them, once we have the slots for it, if for no better reason than to keep another, possibly hostile, player from taking them.
>>
No. 575781 ID: 3f0c1b

So it seems we need a plan B.

...how far up is your room and how good are you at climbing?
>>
No. 575783 ID: 65a774
File 140104030197.png - (15.00KB , 900x450 , 14b.png )
575783

>[Display current number of AI and real players]
[There are currently 346 AI players active! There is currently one Player playing the game: Player Teal. There is currently one Player in the character creation menu!]

>Daithi, the four Words of the World is runes of godly power that have the power to change the world.
…whoa… um… you weren’t kidding when you said you guys were influential. Um... this is a bit above my head, isn’t it? I mean, I’ve barely been a commander student for a year…
>That "angel" we told you would descend from Aerathin's Belt is actually a new god entering this world; An event that hasn't happened since the Ancient Age.
A god? *Pff* gods don’t exist. It’s probably just some kind of… powerful being or a creature from the stars or something.

>Who is depicted on those windows?
That would be the first Emperor, Hakaan the first, holding an hourglass. She was the one who formed the Amun Empire in the first place.
>Looks like you found an excuse to leave the building.
As I didn’t already have one…
>I hope you're armed, because a book just sitting around in a public space all day sounds like a trap.
Err… well, I got a sword in my room but… I’ve never really been in any real combat before. Wait, why would they trap a random book from the library? That doesn’t make sense!
>Daithi, ask the librarian if she has any news from the Serath that's from three months ago or later.
:UnknownKAK: Bah! The news I gotten from there is terrible!
:DaithiNUM: Really?
:UnknownKAK: YES! Apparently it’s a jungle now! Do you know how many books I have to update on that fact alone!
>...I'm going to assume she doesn't mean Aerathin's Belt. That would quite the trip, wouldn't it.
:UnknownKAK: Err… it’s not really that far. I mean, you probably can walk there in an hour or two.
:CedricNUM: Actually, I usually take chicks up there for some alone time thanks to the great view so I know a shortcut. There’s a quicker road right from the Academy through the forest that will take you there in half an hour, 45 minutes tops! As long as we bring some lights it’s probably the best way to go.

>You definitely should go get that book. If daemon hunters wanted it, it probably contains important information we could use. It'll also give us a chance to make contact with the daemon hunters.
:DaithiNUM: Wait, who are these daemon hunters?
:UnknownKAK: I don’t know exactly but… I think it was about some murder up north?
:CedricNUM: Oh! I’ve heard about that. Apparently there have been some weird murders going on up north. They’ve found corpses strung from the trees, gutted and flayed. The authorities blame some kind of daemon cult or something… and the scariest part? The murders have been steadily going south, right toward us.
:DaithiNUM: …suddenly, walking through a dark forest alone to get a book doesn’t sound like the best idea…
>You just need a way to sneak past your family's attendant.
>The attendant is watching, so tell the head librarian you can't, but Cedric could.
>Once she gives him the locator, tell him to get the ladder once you're in your dorm room and climb up to get you.
:DaithiNUM: While I would love to help a lady in need like yourself, I’m currently… preoccupied with family business, but I’m sure Cedric here can go in my stead.
:CedricNUM: Hmm? Oh, yes, you can’t say no to a window of opportunity like this. But don’t worry, I won’t climb out there alone. *wink*
:UnknownKAK: Geez, I hope so. Just don’t… try to eat to book or whatever you do with them, you little pest.
:DaithiNUM: (Well, I guess I don’t even need to explain my… err… your plan to him.)
>Ask White if she'll promise not to claim your mother or father as her pawns.
:CedricNUM: Right… no claiming parents…



Dammit, where’s Cedric with the ladder? He was-
:CedricNUM: Psst! Hey! Dai!
:DaithiNUM: Cedric? Where’s the ladder?
:CedricNUM: Well… change of plans… apparently the groundskeeper locked it up with a padlock so… got any other ideas?
:DaithiNUM: Dammit.

Insert Best laid plans_
>>
No. 575786 ID: dbe554

Hmmm, there's nothing really in sight we could use to climb down with, and jumping is out of the question.. Though I wonder if we have enough power to form things.

*Form ladder!*

Doubt it though considering we can't claim pawns. Is there no way to just sneak out? Or see if he could find anything to get up there, stacking boxes or something.
>>
No. 575787 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575733
Oh, it's a few months ago? Then... the beam of light already happened. Are you sure you don't remember something like that? Also this means if White is the new player they took a few months to enter the game. Or got corrupted and lost their memory... or does that only happen to AI players?

It sounds like the people that went to the ruins got themselves killed. If we go there, bring soldiers.

Also look up The Magician, The High Priestess, and The Heirophant, since those represent people we've met so far.
>>
No. 575788 ID: 2bfcdf

Oh damn missed my chance for further tarot analysis.

>>575783
...bedsheet rope? Or you could try to sneak out the front door.
>>
No. 575791 ID: 9a281a

>A god? *Pff* gods don’t exist. It’s probably just some kind of… powerful being or a creature from the stars or something.
...and what, pray tell, is the difference, really?
>>
No. 575803 ID: 92fbe9

How good a climber is Cedric? If he's good enough he could "borrow" the knotted rope used for climbing exercises, climb up with one end and tie it off for you to climb down. Since the Academy is an old castle I'd imagine the plumbing was installed after it was built, so there ought to be pipes run down the exterior walls he could climb up.

Alternatively you could drop down if Cedric could bring a hay cart around. Or is there a moat around the castle deep enough you could drop into? Or could you drop to a second floor roof, then first, then to the ground? Of course, all these are one way; You'll need to find another way to get back up.

>I mean, I’ve barely been a commander student for a year…
If Lucrais was kicked out of the Academy to make room for you, this would line up with the exchange where she called you a "plebeian." Or perhaps it wasn't her that was kicked out but one of her sisters. We'll have to find out who was kicked out before approaching Lucrais.

>>575787
Check the player count in the update. The new "god" is currently in character creation, so it hasn't arrived yet but it's close to.
>>
No. 575806 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575803
Oh right, dur. I wonder why it's taking so long for them to get through character generation? Maybe time flows for them like it flows for us...
>>
No. 575815 ID: 65a774
File 140104499277.png - (21.10KB , 900x450 , 15.png )
575815

>Look up The Magician, The High Priestess, and The Heirophant, since those represent people we've met so far.
Let’s see… just but quick skimming the book… “The Magician: Is often attributed to the consultant, the protagonist. Symbolizes action, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation, and potential.”
“The High Priestess is a symbol of hidden knowledge, wisdom, female mystery and magic. Often a figure or event that test to resolve of the consultant.”
“The Heirophant is symbol of education, authority, conservatism, obedience and relationship with the divine. Often associated with the temples or religion.”

>...and what, pray tell, is the difference, really?
Gods are supposedly all powerful, endless and creator of everything. They are also huge jerks who demands stuff like Virgin male mantis sacrifices and stuff. Powerful creatures on the other hand can be killed with a well-placed arrow in the eye if they ever demand that I should be sacrificed.
>*Form ladder!*
[Error!]
…that was a decent display of disappointment, wasn’t it?
>If Lucrais was kicked out of the Academy to make room for you, this would line up with the exchange where she called you a "plebeian." Or perhaps it wasn't her that was kicked out but one of her sisters.
…well, she is the same age as me… and she doesn’t have any sisters… hmm…

>Oh, it's a few months ago? Then... the beam of light already happened. Are you sure you don't remember something like that?
I’ve never heard about a beam of light…
>It sounds like the people that went to the ruins got themselves killed.
Ruins? There’s an overgrown statue there. I wouldn’t call that ruins. Besides, I’m pretty sure the city guards patrols past by there… I mean, it’s practically right next to the city.

>See if he could find anything to get up there, stacking boxes or something.
:CedricNUM: Um… there’s a few boxes here but… not enough to reach up to you.
>Alternatively you could drop down if Cedric could bring a hay cart around. Or is there a moat around the castle deep enough you could drop into?
:CedricNUM: Err… who would leave a cart full of hay just laying around? I mean, there’s a cart here and some hay, but nowhere enough for you to jump into.
>...how far up is your room and how good are you at climbing?
Hmm… if only I had some rope or something…
>...bed sheet rope?
…well, I do have a lot of bed sheets that are never used…



:DaithiNUM: Success! Ha, that attendant will never know I was even gone!
:CedricNUM: Err…
:DaithiNUM: She’s standing right behind me, aren’t she?

Insert Quick! Play dead! They don’t eat dead mantises!_
>>
No. 575869 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575815
Welp time for some diplomacy. Tell her you're not just sneaking out to have fun, you're on a mission of importance. You're going to retrieve a lost book of considerable value and if she wants to come with you to make sure you stay out of trouble that's fine.

If talking doesn't work you could just try to outrun her.
>>
No. 575875 ID: 40935b

What the hell? How did she get here so fast?

Ugh. Cheesing it would break the trust between you and your father. If you had made those excuses to your mother I wouldn't give a damn, but I don't think you should disappoint your dad like that. You could say that we told you to leave, but I doubt that story would work twice, even if it is true.

Just confess, and try to make it look like a grey area rather than outright disobedience. Say you needed to get to the book on daemon hunting, and figured no harm would be done if you got back quickly enough.
>>
No. 575891 ID: 9a281a

Try to escape blame with flattery. Wow, she certainly got here, fast, didn't she?

(And if we want to be really picky and technical- her orders were to prevent you from leaving. Now that you've already left...)
>>
No. 575933 ID: d0e0a2

Yes. Yes, she is... Welp. Shoulda figured she would find you out. Shouting down to Cedric from your window wasn't exactly subtle. I'd also guess she's been with the family long enough to know what kinds of shenanigans you and Cedric get up to.

Honestly, I think you should head back to your room and call it a night. I have a feeling that what with daemon cultists and hunters and who knows what else 'round here 'cause of that new "god" coming down that traipsing about in the dark near that landmark is quite likely going to be more danger than I'd be comfortable putting our inexperienced king in the way of; Seriously, you didn't even bring your sword with you, you dork! Plus, I don't want to strain the relationship with your mother even more by heading out there. We'll pick this up tomorrow, when it's nice and bright out.

But if, for whatever reason, you do choose to go to the landmark, tell the attendant where you're going. That way if shit does go down out there your mother and the city guard will know where to pick up your trail and might have a chance to save your ass.

Those tarot descriptions do kinda fit all three of you, though not completely. Guess they were chosen a bit more for ID over close matching.

That statue at the landmark, would you happen to know if it dates from the Ancient Era?

>"...virgin male mantis sacrifices and stuff..."
>"...ever demand that I should be sacrificed."
...Of course you're a virgin. Color me unsurprised. Well, now have an additional objective: Get Daithi laid. Should be pretty easy with all those human and lizard gals in the Academy hitting on you. That is unless you're only attracted to mantis gals. In that case we'll have to look outside the Academy, but that shouldn't be much harder.
>>
No. 575934 ID: 2bfcdf

>>575933
Wouldn't his mother get kindof pissed at him if he goes off and has sex with people other than his fiance?
>>
No. 575959 ID: dbe554

>>575934

I dunno, I know they might be highly conservative and only have him and a few other males be a harem for his female, but if they aren't they may allow for a general harem.

Doubt it though.
>>
No. 575979 ID: 65a774
File 140111608173.png - (17.88KB , 900x450 , 16.png )
575979

>...Of course you're a virgin. Color me unsurprised.
W-what!? I-I never s-said that! I d-don’t know where y-you got that idea from, b-but whoever told you is a l-liar and a cur!
>Well, now have an additional objective: Get Daithi laid.
I appreciate it b-but… err… it’s not like I really… I get it a-all the time- err… besides, mother would kill me if she knew I did something to someone when I’m getting married in just a few months.
>Should be pretty easy with all those human and lizard gals in the Academy hitting on you.
Hey, they are just interested because they’ve heard that we mantises are bigger. I want my first time to be som- I mean… err… I just don’t want to sleep around?
>That statue at the landmark, would you happen to know if it dates from the Ancient Era?
I’m pretty sure it’s old enough…

>What the hell? How did she get here so fast?
:UnknownKAK: You weren’t exactly subtle… and this isn’t the first time you’ve tried to sneak out of the window either. I know you well enough, sir Daithi, which mean I can tell that you shouldn’t resist seizing the initiative and take action instead of sitting on your abdomen like a good boy.
>Try to escape blame with flattery.
:DaithiNUM: I have to admit, you’re not only vigilant, but rather clever too. Whatever my parents pay for-
:UnknownKAK: As you said, I’m clever… and I’m clever enough to see that you’re trying to use your non-existent charm to get out of trouble.
>Welp time for some diplomacy. Tell her you're not just sneaking out to have fun, you're on a mission of importance.
:UnknownKAK: Yes, because getting the librarian into the sack is so much more important.
:DaithiNUM: Err… I wasn’t… actually, I wanted the book, actually…
:UnknownKAK: A likely story.
:DaithiNUM: Hey, Mother would kill me if she heard that I’ve been sleeping around, alright?
:UnknownKAK: Hmm… fair enough.

>If talking doesn't work you could just try to outrun her.
:UnknownKAK: You might be able to outrun me, but you can’t outrun your parents when I tell them. Besides, I’ll probably lose my job if something happened to you. Can you live with that knowledge?
:CedricNUM: Well, if you’re afraid to lose your job, then just don’t tell them we were gone.
:UnknownKAK: …what?
:CedricNUM: Whatever they don’t know won’t hurt them… and besides, I got this coupon for a free ale down at the Academy pub that needs to be used tonight…
:UnknownKAK: …are you trying to bribe me?
:CedricNUM: I’m just saying that you need to calm down, take a nice, cold mug of ale and relax. We’re just going for a stroll in the forest to pick up a book. No one needs to know about that.
:UnknownKAK: …fine, fine. You can go to that old landmark and I won’t tell your father, alright… but just come back before nine!
:CedricNUM: That’s in three and a half hours, so plenty of time.
:DaithiNUM: Then let’s go!
>You didn't even bring your sword with you, you dork!
:DaithiNUM: Right after I grab my sword… heh…



:DaithiNUM: There it is… and we didn’t even get stabbed on the way her trough the dark forest.
:CedricNUM: Or murdered…
:DaithiNUM: Or murder stabbed…
:CedricNUM: Or flayed and hung by the entrails like the other murders…
:DaithiNUM: Err… that’s not really help- wait… who is… Lucrais!? What is she doing here!?
:CedricNUM: …talk about a coincident… well, the good news is that you don’t need to write that letter to your bride to be now…

Insert Sword in hand, the mighty hero faced the fearful drake_
>>
No. 575980 ID: dbe554

Got to hand it to Cedric, he is surprisingly clever in both his acts and words. And such a faithful friend, always nice.

However for now I suggest hiding from her, see what she is up to.
>>
No. 575982 ID: 3f0c1b

[Scan Lucrais]
She doesn't look like she is in a good mood, perhaps this isn't the best time to talk to her.
>>
No. 575990 ID: 9a281a

>Lucrais!? What is she doing here!?
...maybe she has the book.

Did we bring the charm or whatever with the tracking spell on it, or did the librarian keep that?
>>
No. 575993 ID: d0e0a2

Geez, she's already in a foul mood. Is she always like that nowadays?

I suggest hiding and watching Lucrais for a bit, or at least until we scan her. There's a reason she's up here and I'd like to have some idea of what it is before approaching her 'cause for all we know she's in league with daemon cultists or some bad crazy shit like that.

Whisper to Cedric to watch your back and make sure nobody sneaks up on us. Also tell him to get out the book locator and tell you which way it's pointing.

We think that Lucrais is the falling figure in The Tower stained glass window we saw, but we're not certain. Our scan will tell us for sure. [Scan Lucrais]

Man, that star in Aerathin's Belt is bright. And big. And low in the sky... Is it supposed to be like that? Just how far up is this place? And is that a platform in front of the statue and aligned with the star? If so that's probably where the beam of light will land, so avoid standing there.

When you get the chance to, check the inscription on the statue's plinth. I doubt you'll be able to read it since it's probably in the Ancient language, so write it down for later translation.
>>
No. 576000 ID: 65a774
File 140112791632.png - (17.94KB , 900x450 , 17.png )
576000

[New player entering the game at point 0.0 at the dawn of a new game day!]
[ERROR!! Unable to find avatar fitting Player {%^*¤öö43}]
[ERROR!! Player {%^*¤öö43} brain structure doesn’t fit the current mold!]
[ERROR!! Player {%^*¤öö43} isn’t made of delicious meat!]
[Initiating automatic patch fix… Player {%^*¤öö43} will join in… 24 hours… *BEEP!*]

>[Scan Lucrais]
[“The Tower” is currently unclaimed!]

>Geez, she's already in a foul mood. Is she always like that nowadays?
Every time I see her, at least.
>We think that Lucrais is the falling figure in The Tower stained glass window we saw, but we're not certain.
The tower? Hmm… isn’t that like a bad omen or something… wait… let me just… “The Tower represents arrogance, prejudiced, authoritarian principles and/or the necessity of profound, sometimes destructive, change. Often associated with pride preceding the fall or bad omens and disasters.” …arrogant: Check. Authoritarian: Check. A bad omen: Triple check.

>Man, that star in Aerathin's Belt is bright. And big. And low in the sky... Is it supposed to be like that?
As far as I know, yes. It’s not really a star, you know. It’s some kind of construct that’s been there since ancient time. Of course, no one knows what the heck it actually is beyond that. It’s a bit hard building a ladder tall enough to reach it.
>When you get the chance to, check the inscription on the statue's plinth. I doubt you'll be able to read it since it's probably in the Ancient language, so write it down for later translation.
I’ll see if I get the chance.

>I suggest hiding from her, see what she is up to.
:DaithiNUM:
:CedricNUM:She’s just sitting there?
:DaithiNUM: Hmm… is she waiting for someone?
>Did we bring the charm or whatever with the tracking spell on it, or did the librarian keep that?
:CedricNUM: Got it right here.
:DaithiNUM: That’s a rock on a string.
:CedricNUM: It’s magical. It’s supposed to be pulled towards the book when we get close… see?
:DaithiNUM: Of course it will start moving if you fling it around like that! Here, give it to me!
:CedricNUM: Hey, hands off the rock, pal! I got th-
:LucraisNUM: I’m not deaf, you peasants. Reveal yourself at once or I’ll have the guard flay and boil your children alive in front of you, you inbred hicks.

Insert Where are all the therapist?_
>>
No. 576002 ID: 9a281a

>Reveal yourself at once or I’ll have the guard flay and boil your children alive in front of you, you inbred hicks.
We'd have to have children before you could have them boiled alive, and last I checked, neither of us are too keen on that.

She caught you, you might as well talk to her. And hey, if you both really hate this arranged marriage plan, maybe you can float the idea of teaming up with her to oppose it.
>>
No. 576014 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576000
Oh hey the new player is trying to join the game, and it's quite alien. Interesting. I'm very curious to see how this works out! Make note of the time. We have 24 hours before it enters the game in earnest.

So uh why does that golden thing up there have a green light on it now?

Reveal yourself. Ask her what she's doing out here, and why she canceled the date too. Maybe try asking why she hates you so much?
>>
No. 576020 ID: 3f0c1b

So your betrothed threatens to flay and boil your kids alive? I would suggest going with a comback about how she could be so cruel towards her future children, but joking like that might be suicidal.
So since she is unclaimed what do you guys think, should we claim her as soon as we can and fix things between them from both ends?
>>
No. 576021 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576020
(probably wise. It would also give us a contact in the other family for more access to resources.)
>>
No. 576028 ID: 65a774
File 140113839464.png - (17.82KB , 900x450 , 18.png )
576028

>Make note of the time. We have 24 hours before it enters the game in earnest.
Hmm… it should be about six ‘o’clock right now…
>So uh why does that golden thing up there have a green light on it now?
There was? Huh… I probably missed it…

>So your betrothed threatens to flay and boil your kids alive? I suggest going with a comeback about how she could be so cruel towards her future children.
:DaithiNUM: shouldn’t you at least wait until we try to make some before you threaten to kill them?
:LucraisNUM: YOU!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!? HAVEN’T YOU RUINED ENOUGH!?
>Ask her what she's doing out here.
:LucraisNUM: I’m tried to get some time alone, that’s what! But of course the cat had to drag in some kind of common pest.
>Why she canceled the date too.
:LucraisNUM: Because my day had been bad enough without seeing your ugly face, that’s why. Ugh, spending a whole dinner with… with… common folk!? Disgusting!
>And hey, if you both really hate this arranged marriage plan, maybe you can float the idea of teaming up with her to oppose it.
:DaithiNUM: I mean, I don’t want to marry you and it sounds like-
:LucraisNUM: You wouldn’t dare even think about it! Lady Baideal has already made up her mind and her word is law.
:DaithiNUM: But-
:LucraisNUM: How dare you even question it!? How can you think you even have the right to consider not too!?
:DaithiNUM: Err… but what about what you want?
:LucraisNUM: What I want is too see you gutted like the pig you are, Daithi, but mother’s word is absolute.

>Why she hates you so much?
:DaithiNUM: …why do you hate me?
:LucraisNUM: …because of what you are. How dare… some plebian like yourself even consider becoming a commander!? First you come and charm me with that cute face of yours, then you ruin my life and now I have to spend the rest of my life with some commoner!? Why wouldn’t I hate you!
:DaithiNUM:

Insert Anger management_
>>
No. 576029 ID: 0ee153

So... angry sex or what?
>>
No. 576030 ID: 9a281a

I never made any effort to charm you, or ruin your life. If that's what you feel has happened, I'm afraid the only things you can blame are yourself, or circumstance. I'm sorry.

And excuse me for trying to make something of myself, or following a path I believed in. We can't all be born with everything.
>>
No. 576035 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576028
Haha, Cedric ditched you. Probably a good idea.

Yeah, sounds like her family's going to fall on bad times soon, if The Tower is her card. Or just her, somehow, but I doubt that would change her perspective much. I wonder if the stained glass window we saw was literal in its portrayal? It showed her falling from a tower as it got struck by lightning. Warning her about that possibility might get you in her good graces after it happens, but it probably won't prevent it. Go ahead and warn her if you want.

Ask her how being married to you will prevent her from accomplishing what she wants.
>>
No. 576038 ID: c21f01

..A commoner rising above his/her station?
Facsinating! Not the angle I expected. I know there seemed to be an angle of 'can't maintain the family riches' but that makes me wonder how/when you guys got rich in the first place.
At any rate, let's get going- we've still a book to reclaim and the lady would like to be left alone.
>>
No. 576043 ID: 40935b

You're not a commoner, you're in the Commander Academy based on merit, and neither the marriage or ruined life is your fault.

Also did she just all you cute?

I'm just realizing the irony of royalty calling somebody an inbred.
>>
No. 576059 ID: d0e0a2

...Damn. Her kind of horrible shitty noble attitude is the fertilizer that bloody uprisings and revolutions sprout from; The kind where new devices have to be invented to handle all the beheadings.

Wait a second... Daithi, your family isn't nobility? Not even a little bit? Your mother having served as a distinguished commander didn't earn her any title along with those riches? Not even a knighthood? Man, that sucks.

Before you say any more I'd suggest backing up far enough that you can make a run for it, just in case she loses control of her rage.

Point out that if her mother sees fit to marry off her only daughter at significant expense to a "plebian," then maybe she should consider that her mother very likely sees something worthy in that "plebian." Perhaps she should ask her mother just what that is. Or is she going to question her mother's wisdom?

Ask her outright just how the heck you ruined her life by wanting to become a commander. Was she one of those who had to leave the Academy to make room for you? 'Cause if she was, then it was the Academy's choice to pick her, not yours. And why couldn't she reapply next year? And also point out that if she was one of them, that her mother must have let it happen, 'cause otherwise she would have raised hell to block it, friendship with Ceada be damned.

Ask her why you not having a noble title negates everything else about you. She said you have a cute face, that you were charming, so why does being a commoner ruin all that?

And just what the hell is wrong with marrying a commoner? Haven't there been many nobles who've married commoners and many nobles who came from those marriages? In fact, it's good for the nobility to marry commoners; Brings in new blood and keeps the problem of inbreeding down. Hell, I'd be damn surprised if there weren't any commoners in Lucrais' ancestry.

Tell her that since you two are going to be stuck together that you both are going to have to come to some sort of understanding lest you spend the rest of your days in mutual misery. You don't care whatever it is, as long as it doesn't involve imprisonment or bodily harm on your person.
>>
No. 576129 ID: 3f0c1b

Point out the fact that she called you cute, preferably in the form of a short question like "You think I'm cute?"
>>
No. 576233 ID: 65a774
File 140119669889.png - (17.64KB , 900x450 , 19.png )
576233

>Cedric ditched you. Probably a good idea.
He’s just giving me some space and… err… is he climbing a tree? Sometimes I have no idea what he’s up too…
>I wonder if the stained glass window we saw was literal in its portrayal? Warning her about that possibility might get you in her good graces after it happens, but it probably won't prevent it. Go ahead and warn her if you want.
Hmm… let’s refrain from mentioning that I got a strange voice in my head telling people that they are doomed, alright? I don’t want to appear crazy… crazier…
>So... angry sex or what?
While I have to admit I want to do a bit of copulation with her abdomen, I rather not ensure that the myth about female mantises and male heads becomes a reality.
>Daithi, your family isn't nobility? Not even a little bit? Your mother having served as a distinguished commander didn't earn her any title along with those riches?
Well, mother did get an honorable title, but it doesn’t transcend to her children. Most nobles sees it as a disgrace anyway, a fake noble so to speak. Of course, why would you want to be a noble in the first place? They are rapidly losing power anyway… soon “noble” are just going to be honorable title too.

>I never made any effort to charm you, or ruin your life.
:LucraisNUM: That’s the worst part! You just bumble around being an idiot ruining everything!
:DaithiNUM: Err… it doesn’t seem fair that you hold something I didn’t even mean to do against me…
:LucraisNUM: Fair!? FAIR!? How is it fair that you get everything and I get nothing!?
>You're not a commoner, you're in the Commander Academy based on merit.
:LucraisNUM: Ha! Your mother ensured you joined, not your merit. She probably sold your father as a toy to the judges like the whore he is!
:DaithiNUM: Actually, my mother only made them actually consider letting me do the initiation tests… and they mostly let me do them to humor me… of course, when they saw the results…
:LucraisNUM: Shut up, you son of a manwhore!
>Tell her that since you two are going to be stuck together that you both are going to have to come to some sort of understanding lest you spend the rest of your days in mutual misery.
:LucraisNUM: What will happen is that we will marry, you w-will quit that stupid, pathetic dream of yours and become a good, quiet doormat like a good husband and I’ll live happily knowing that I m-make you just as miserable as you’re making me.
:DaithiNUM: Wow, talk about spite…
>Ask her how being married to you will prevent her from accomplishing what she wants.
:LucraisNUM: It will prevent me from accomplishing not seeing your u-ugly face, that’s what!
>Point out that if her mother sees fit to marry off her only daughter at significant expense to a "plebian," then maybe she should consider that her mother very likely sees something worthy in that "plebian."
:LucraisNUM: I don’t care what my mother think of you. You’re a commoner, a street rat. A pest to be s-stomped on like the rest of your k-kind.
>Ask her outright just how the heck you ruined her life by wanting to become a commander. Was she one of those who had to leave the Academy to make room for you?
:LucraisNUM: W-wha- what makes you t-think I would even want to be in that… s-stupid school, anyway?
:DaithiNUM: If I remember correctly, you did mention it when we were smaller…
:LucraisNUM: …I was s-supposed to get in! I had the grades for it! But no! They throw us all out because of you!
:DaithiNUM: So… why don’t you just apply for next year?
:LucraisNUM: …mother told me I only had one chance… and if I f-failed I… she’s forcing me to go in her footsteps and study economics.
>Ask her why you not having a noble title negates everything else about you.
:LucraisNUM: Because the nobility is the life b-blood of the world! Without us the world would just be endless chaos and d-destruction!
>And just what the hell is wrong with marrying a commoner?
:LucraisNUM: Because you’re just dirt! Pests! There’s a reason why the nobility r-rules!
:DaithiNUM: You sound just like a propaganda poster.
:LucraisNUM: Wha- No! Shut up! I do-
:DaithiNUM: …or are you just repeating what your mother told you to say.
:LucraisNUM: SHUT UP!!
:DaithiNUM: Do you even have any opinions on your own?
:LucraisNUM: OF COURSE I DO!!
:DaithiNUM: Like…?
:LucraisNUM: I… I… L-like… err… that you look stupid! Now shut up!

>Also did she just all you cute?
:DaithiNUM: And the most important thing… did you call me cute?
:LucraisNUM: Wh- Of course not!
:daithiNUM: No, no… I’m pretty sure you said that I “Charmed you with my cute face”.
:LucraisNUM: I-I-I- didn’t- I… err… I… I didn’t… I said acute!
:DaithiNUM: Acute face?
:LUcraisNUM: Acute head… as in smart! Intelligent! You’re very… err… acute means smart, right… SHUT UP!! …and wipe that smirk of your face right now!!
:DaithiNUM: *Snrk*

Insert How does a mantis even smirk, anyway?_
>>
No. 576240 ID: dbe554

She sounds like she really doesn't hold much of her own opinions, that she's been indoctrinated and that any view other then what she's presented has to be bad.

She does think of you higher then she wants to admit, considering her flustered attempts to backpedal. She's mentioned you are smart and cute, I'm sure with your wit you could pull more from her.
>>
No. 576241 ID: 363ecd

>Acute
Acute also means less than 90 degrees. So... she's saying you're not quite right. (Oh gods, math puns!).

>the paradox
Point out if she's right about nobility being right and ruling everything, she has to accept that her mother is noble, and outranks her, and thus was right about everything. Marrying her off, not letting her have another chance at school, and everything else.

And if she denies that, and the intrinsic correctness of seniority and nobility, then she loses her main reason for hating us.

She has to choose how she sees the world. See's too smart to live by self-contradictions. Hell, you know how hard it is to stand up to mothers, but.

Heck, it was completely possible for her to have gone to school if her family wanted it. If the issue was the school had to waste a whole dorm room on Dathi, they could have easily sponsored a brand new suite. Hell, they could have donated a wing.

...there's also the old way of defining nobility. You earn it by blood, or by deed. And every noble line has to start somewhere- with someone who doesn't have the blood-right, but does something that earns them their position.
>>
No. 576243 ID: 3f0c1b

Awwww... she is so tsun-tsun. :3

So she does like you, but she hates that you are the commoner who upstaged her ect. If you can just make her admit she likes you then you should be fine.
>>
No. 576250 ID: d0e0a2

Aw, she does like you, but it's crashing up against her upbringing and world view. It's what has defined her her whole life, and she can't bring herself to break or even bend it a little to fit you into it as you are now. That's why she's so angry, and in a way it's rather sad.

>"...wipe that smirk of your face right now!!"
Okay. You have a handkerchief in that uniform, right? Draw it across your face and put on the most straight expression you can and hold it. Maybe you can crack her facade and make her chuckle. But even if you can't, do avoid smirking from now on. Bruising her noble ego won't help things.

Ask her why she wanted to become a commander so much. What about it called to her? Or was it 'cause it was just what mantis noblewomen should aspire to?

Also ask her what she thought of you before you joined the Commander Academy. Did she think of you as cute and smart then? Has she always thought of you that way? I wonder if her mother chose you to be her husband 'cause she really, really liked you, and still is.

>"...she's forcing me to go in her footsteps and study economics."
That's not a field of study you'd think she'd be any good at; She doesn't come off as smart or patient enough for it. I wonder what her mother was thinking there.

>Of course, why would you want to be a noble in the first place? They are rapidly losing power anyway...
What's been the cause of the nobles losing their power? Just the cumulation of a general shift in attitude in the Amun Empire over a long time or was there some other, major change?
>>
No. 576252 ID: 65a774
File 140121260763.png - (18.06KB , 900x450 , 20.png )
576252

>Awwww... she is so tsun-tsun. :3
I don’t know what this shun-shun is but it sounds cute.
>So she does like you, but she hates that you are the commoner who upstaged her ect. If you can just make her admit she likes you then you should be fine.
Except… if she likes me she’ll probably want to marry me, which mean I’ll have an even harder time calling the wedding off.
>What's been the cause of the nobles losing their power?
Well… it started with the people getting more voting power, thus electing a senate more inclined to help the common man, who in turn elected empresses and emperors more willing to go against the nobility. So in short, the last two hundred years or so the nobility has slowly lost their privileges and people whose actually competent and willing to work is slowly getting more power than them. Of course, the only thing that’s really changed is that we’ve changed the title of nobility for the amount of money you have…

>Okay. You have a handkerchief in that uniform, right? Draw it across your face and put on the most straight expression you can and hold it. Maybe you can crack her facade and make her chuckle.
:DaithiNUM: As the lady wishes, consider the smirk wiped right off…
:LucraisNUM: …w-what are you- you’re such a dork.
:DaithiNUM: …did I spy a smile?
:LucraisNUM: No, no you did not.
>Point out if she's right about nobility being right and ruling everything, she has to accept that her mother is noble, and outranks her, and thus was right about everything. Marrying her off, not letting her has another chance at school, and everything else.
:LucraisNUM: T-that’s exactly what I’m saying. There has to be a reason why she did all that. She can’t be wrong, she’s nobility!
:DaithiNUM: So she’s right about taking away your happiness and freedom?
:LucraisNUM: O-of course! There has to be a good reason!
:DaithiNUM: …and if there is not? What if there’s a bad reason?
:LucraisNUM: …there is a good reason… t-there has to be.

>She has to choose how she sees the world. See's too smart to live by self-contradictions.
:DaithiNUM: If she’s always right, then why is she forcing you to live with a commoner for the rest of your life and not some rich noble boy? If she’s as grand as you say you she is you wouldn’t have had any problems getting into the school, now would you? You’re nobility after all, the world are supposed to rotate around you, right?
:LucraisNUM: …I… but… no, you’re wrong… stop… STOP MAKING ME QUESTION HER, DAMMIT!! *Urg* damn commoner talk, always makes you believe the lies…
>Also ask her what she thought of you before you joined the Comm-
:LucraisNUM: No, no you may not know how I felt about you. I hate you, have always hated you and will always hate you. No more needs to be said.
>Ask her why she wanted to become a commander so much. What about it called to her?
:LucraisNUM: Because I was meant to lead, that’s why.
>She's mentioned you are smart and cute, I'm sure with your wit you could pull more from her.
:DaithiNUM: So, if I can’t ask you what you thought about me before, how about now?
:LucraisNUM: You annoying brat, a plebian that dares rise above his station, nothing more than a traitor to the people who rightfully own the empire, you’re a dork, a scoundrel and… and… something!
:DaithiNUM: a dork? Really?
:LucraisNUM: You probably love books more than friends… and that game you play… WarStorm or what it is called… the one with the miniatures.
:DaithiNUM: …wait, you both know it by name and that it’s called miniatures and not toys? Hmm… interesting… of course, that reminds me, I need to paint those berserkers to my Derack army...
:LucraisNUM: Berserkers can only be used as Järgien, you idiot… wait, no, I didn’t-
:DaithiNUM: HA! I knew it! You’re playing it too! That’s why you wanted to be a commander! Let me guess, you’re playing an Imperial Amun army, aren’t you?
:LucraisNUM: …that’s it, I’m leaving. Good bye, Dai.
:DaithiNUM: Come on, we can play a game together sometime…
:LucraisNUM: GOODBYE, DAI.
:DaithiNUM: No, wait, I… err…

Insert Quick! Say something witty!_
>>
No. 576265 ID: 3f0c1b

Well if she likes would the wedding still be such a bad thing?

Make her give you a chance and then see if you can give her the same. It sure sounds easier than trying to call off the wedding. I mean if you don't want that then fine, but think about it will you.
>>
No. 576266 ID: 40935b

Oh crap, is Cedric okay?
>>
No. 576267 ID: 222441

>>576252
"I hate to see you go, much as I enjoy the view~"
>>
No. 576269 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576252
Apologize for tricking her. That was disrespectful.
>>
No. 576273 ID: 65a774
File 140122024967.png - (33.39KB , 900x450 , 21B.png )
576273

>Well if she likes you would the wedding still be such a bad thing?
Because I rather choose who I will spend the rest of my life with myself. I mean… I don’t love her, after all.
>I mean if you don't want that then fine, but think about it will you.
Yes, yes, I keep it in consideration…
>"I hate to see you go, much as I enjoy the view~"
…must… resist… temptation… can’t ruin everything I’ve achieved so far!

>Apologize for tricking her. That was disrespectful.
:DaithiNUM: I’m sorry!
:LucraisNUM: …for what? Existing?
:DaithiNUM: For tricking you to admit… things that you didn’t want to admit.
:LucraisNUM: …you’re such a dork. Now, go die in a fire so I don’t have to spend any more time with your nicely curv- I mean fat, ugly abdomen.
:DaithiNUM: Love you too!

>Oh crap, is Cedric okay?
:DaithiNUM: Hey, Ced? You okay?
:CedricNUM: I’m fine, I’m fine… really… *ugh* I thought that brash would hold my weight…
:DaithiNUM: What were you even doing up there!?
:CedricNUM: …I didn’t have anything better to do will you were fighting with your honeybun. Didn’t we come here for another reason?
:DaithiNUM: Oh, right, the book. Do you still have the… err… stone?
:CedricNUM: Right here… oh, look, it’s definitely pointing in that direction!
:DaithiNUM: Right into the dark woods… typical…



:CedricNUM: So, go in and find it.
:DaithiNUM: No way! Its pitch dark in there… If I take another step I won’t even be able to see the light from meadow with the land mark! Who designed these forests to be so dense!
:CedricNUM: Do you see it, at least?
:DaithiNUM: …Heck if I know! For all we know it might be a hundred meters right into the yawning abyss of dark, dense forest.

Insert Look into the abyss, and the abyss might take up resident on your couch_
>>
No. 576274 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576273
I think there's something next to the rock without moss on it. Now why would it not have moss on it...? Be careful.

Also shine the light up at the trees for a moment to see if anything's in the branches. I don't like not seeing everything.
>>
No. 576276 ID: d0e0a2
File 140122418003.png - (41.39KB , 900x450 , 21B_ENHANCED.png )
576276

Hmmm... Maybe we can do something about the darkness, Daithi. [Enhance view: Adjust brightness: +44%; Adjust contrast: +18%] ...Oh, crap...

Daithi, draw your sword right now. We see two figures strung up upside-down in the canopy of the tree next to the boulder with no moss. A human and a horizontally-bisected lizard, both held up with something that looks like... Webbing? I think we've found the daemon hunters; Or rather, we've found what's left of them.

Steel yourself, be ready to see a gory display, and tilt the lantern up. [Scan bodies strung up in the tree] Once we've confirmed they were the daemon hunters, grab Cedric and get the fuck out of here! Do not approach the tree. Do not take anything. It could be a trap. Just run like there's a fuckin' daemon after you, 'cause there just might be!

Dead daemon hunters means there's active daemon cultists out here and they were strong enough to take out two hunters in the light of day. You and Cedric alone wouldn't stand a chance against them. Run back to Stone Heaven, get the fuckin' city watch, and lead them back out here, ASAP!

...Oh, fuck! Lucrais! She's a pretty lady walking back home alone after dark! That's prime cultist bait! She's in danger! Run after her! Escort her back to the city.

>>576274
The boulder doesn't have moss on it 'cause it's a fake! Or it's a fuckin' SHAPESHIFTER laying in wait! AHHHHHH! RUN! RUN! RUNNNNNnnnn!
>>
No. 576325 ID: 65a774
File 140128225527.png - (24.55KB , 900x450 , 22.png )
576325

>[Scan bodies strung up in the tree]
[Neutral Creature (Animal): MoleBat]

>I think there's something next to the rock without moss on it.
Hmm… it looks like… a book? It’s the book! Sweet!
>Now why would it not have moss on it...? Be careful.
Hmm… someone has to have disturbed it… maybe they used it to sit on while they we’re reading?
>We see two figures strung up upside-down in the canopy of the tree next to the boulder with no moss.
I… w-what!? A-are you sure!? By jove, I knew it was a b-bad idea coming here a-after hearing about those m-murders!
>Steel yourself, be ready to see a gory display, and tilt the lantern up.
:UnknownKAK: SCREE!!
:DaithiNUM: AAAH!!!
:CedricNUM: WHAT!? What is it!?
:DaithiNUM: Oh sod… it’s just some Molebats…
:CedricNUM: Freaking- you scared the shit out of me, Dai.

>The boulder doesn't have moss on it 'cause it's a fake! Or it's a fuckin' SHAPESHIFTER laying in wait! AHHHHHH! RUN! RUN! RUNNNNNnnnn!
Err… if it can change shape, then why wouldn’t it just change the shape into a mossy rock instead of a normal one? …man, you guys are almo- w-wait, I think I saw s-something…
>>
No. 576327 ID: 65a774
File 140128229227.png - (33.35KB , 900x450 , 23.png )
576327

:UnknownKAK: *Hiss!*
:DaithiNUM: AAH!! …dammit, it’s just and Ankwark…
>...Oh, fuck! Lucrais! She's a pretty lady walking back home alone after dark! That's prime cultist bait! She's in danger! Run after her! Escort her back to the city.
…I’m pretty sure she’s more dangerous than me but… maybe you have a- WHAT WAS THAT!?
>>
No. 576328 ID: 65a774
File 140128232214.png - (36.72KB , 900x450 , 24.png )
576328

:DaithiNUM: AAAH!!!
:CedricNUM: *Groan!*

Insert Going to the Stockholm (The capital of the glorious Swedish Empire! ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR!!) later today for a few days, expect a small hiatus until Sunday_
>>
No. 576330 ID: 3f0c1b

Glorious Swedish Empire indeed, trevlig resa.
Wait, there is no idea Cedric got turned into a mindless undead that fast, this is probably an illusion. Oh damn, you don't have a mirror on you do you? Why did we tell you to go after a bunch of demon hunters without a mirror, WHY!?

[scan Cedric]
>>
No. 576331 ID: dbe554

Make sure he's not just playing a prank, Cedric seems like the sort to play this sort.
>>
No. 576333 ID: 363ecd

I'm guessing this is probably a prank but...

[Scan Cedric]
[Check Corruption]

>no mirror
He could use the blade of his sword, I suppose. That's reflective.
>>
No. 576334 ID: 65a774
File 140129057294.png - (36.97KB , 900x450 , 25.png )
576334

>[scan Cedric]
[“The Moon” belongs to Player White!]

>Wait, there is no way Cedric got turned into a mindless undead that fast, this is probably an illusion.
:DaithiNUM: It’s not real it’s not real it’s not real…
:CedricNUM: Dammit, warn me next time before you turn around. That thing is freaking bright, you know! Ow…
>Make sure he's not just playing a prank, Cedric seems like the sort to play this sort.
:DaithiNUM: Cedric! You’re Cedric! You didn’t… I… good… it wasn’t…
:CedricNUM: …are you alright there, Dai?
:DaithiNUM: Yes, I… no I… I’m kind of freaking out… I… I…
:CedricNUM: You need to calm down, Dai, stop worrying so much… here, let me take the lantern and you can sit down and breathe a bit…
:DaithiNUM: I… yes… breathe…

Insert Illusions and dreams_
>>
No. 576335 ID: 363ecd

Uh, guys. Turn around. There's something there for real, now. Some lizard in robes, with glowing eyes, a creepy bone spear, and blood everywhere. Pretty sure that's bad news.

[Scan lizard]
>>
No. 576336 ID: 3f0c1b

Ok, let's see to counter illusions you can wound yourself, use a mirror or use the [Spear]. Or did wounding only work with the spear?

I really hope we can summon the spear right now.
>>
No. 576337 ID: 363ecd

>>576336
We're apparently too low level too even claim pawns at this point. That... really doesn't bode well for the likelihood of our being able to manifest weapons out of thin air.
>>
No. 576340 ID: d0e0a2

Tell Cedric that your mental illness is affecting us as well. When you're stressed out we're seeing bad hallucinations too, so right now we can't totally trust what we're seeing. At least our scans still worked right since the "bodies" we saw in the tree registered as molebats.

Ask Cedric and White to turn around and tell you what they see, 'cause right now we're seeing a lizard in daemon cultist robes, wielding a bloody bone spear and splattered all over with blood. If it's just a hallucination then take the book and leave before anything more happens. If it's not a hallucination, then flee as fast as you can.

>>576336
I'm near certain the Spear of Light is tied to the instance of us that has Jericho as king since when we were with Brad and tried to summon the Spear it didn't work. Also, wounding or otherwise causing pain to oneself will only dispel illusions if the Spear of Light or another weapon that counters daemonic corruption is used. And even then I'm not sure if it'll dispel all illusions or just ones from daemons and wraiths.

Daithi, the next chance you get, get yourself a pocket mirror and keep it on you at all times; Preferably a clamshell one that's reinforced so it won't break easy. Reflections see through illusions, so having a mirror on hand when one is in play could very well be the difference between life and death. Oh, and Cedric should get a mirror as well.
>>
No. 576342 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576334
Look, obviously you're prone to seeing things. This is fucking with us too. Ask Cedric if there's a cultist lizard behind you in the lantern-light. Trust him to see what is real. Then we can react appropriately, most likely with violence.
>>
No. 576739 ID: 65a774
File 140164299078.png - (35.50KB , 900x450 , 26.png )
576739

>[Scan lizard]
[Daemonic Creature (Hostile): Male lizard Cultist.]
>[Spear]
[ERROR! Unable to execute command “Spear”!]

>Daithi, the next chance you get, get yourself a pocket mirror and keep it on you at all times; Preferably a clamshell one that's reinforced so it won't break easy. Reflections see through illusions.
Reflection can see trough… of course, they reflect light and not the wool pulled over your eyes! Of course mirrors would show reality… except if it is your mind deceiving you and not some magic put in front of you. Err… either way, I got a mirror back in my room that’s… yeah, I probably need to keep it on me from now on…

>Ask Cedric and White to turn around and tell you what they see, 'cause right now we're seeing a lizard in daemon cultist robes, wielding a bloody bone spear and splattered all over with blood.
:CedricNUM: Huh? A Liz-
:CultistUNB: I will feed your soul to the deceiver!!
:CedricNUM: AH!! Hostiles!!
*Clang!*
:CedricNUM: Dammit! He got too much reach! Help me, Dai!
:DaithiNUM: I… I…
:CedricNUM: DAI! NOW! I’m no expert swordfighter, yo-
*Clang!*

Insert Why use illusions when you can simply use reality?_
>>
No. 576740 ID: 363ecd

Don't think, Daithi. Tactics. Hostiles must be engaged or else they will gain the advantage and you lose valuable personnel, allies, and lives.

Behind you, right now. There's another coming up behind you, and you need to strike now before you're surprise attacked.

If you can eliminate yours, then it's two on one and you can come to Cedric's aid. A numerical advantage is better than an equal fight.
>>
No. 576741 ID: 40935b

There is what looks like another camouflaged cultist behind you; however, the eyes are off-green rather than red, leading me to believe it's a hallucination. Still, It'd be wise you quickly move away from where you're standing. Try to flank the cultist by moving past Cedric, keeping that boulder between the cultist and you before attacking from behind. Then we can ascertain if you're seeing things or not.
>>
No. 576743 ID: 3921cd

>>576739
use the environment against your foe. maneuver around the trees for cover. If you end up parrying the lizard's spear, try forcing or redirecting it into the branches above or into a tree trunk.
You have height and reach on your opponent, even considering the spear. You may be able to thrust at him from alongside Cedric.

As for the possibly-fake one behind you, try a slashing retreat. If its real, it appears to only posses a short blade, it should hesitate to get in reach once its spotted.

Still, Survival, both yours and Cedric's, is the goal here
>>
No. 576745 ID: 65a774
File 140164726540.png - (34.99KB , 900x450 , 27.png )
576745

>Don't think, Daithi. Tactics. Hostiles must be engaged or else they will gain the advantage and you lose valuable personnel, allies, and lives.
Don’t think, ACT!!
>There is what looks like another camouflaged cultist behind you.
:DaithiNUM: DIEE!!!
:CultistUNB: *Gurgle!*
>You have height and reach on your opponent, even considering the spear. You may be able to thrust at him from alongside Cedric.
Oh shi- the sword is stuck in the tree… err… I need another weapon to trust with… a spear!!
:DaithiNUM: Give me your spear!!
:CultistUNB: H-hey! Giv- *Argh!!*
:CedricNUM: Got him!
:DaithiNUM: We killed them!? We won!
:CedricNUM: We… k-killed them…?
:DaithiNUM: …I… by Jove… we… we k-killed them…
:CedricNUM: …I n-never… I…
:DaithiNUM: MOM IS GOING TO KILL ME!!!

Insert Getting your priorities straight_
>>
No. 576747 ID: 76b151

Whats your local laws say about self defense?
>>
No. 576748 ID: 3f0c1b

For what, not capturing them alive? They attacked you first and they were dangerous daemon cultists who had probably killed others or were planning on doing so.

Either way, let's get back to the school with that book before any more shows up, and THEN we worry about what awaits you if and when your mother finds out.
>>
No. 576752 ID: 363ecd

Calm down, guys. It's perfectly reasonable for you to be disturbed by this. That's okay. That's a perfectly normal human and mantis response.

But you on;y did what you had to. You were attacked, you responded. It would have been nice if you'd been able to merely disable them, or take them alive (for both moral reasons, and interrogation), but mercy isn't always an option you have the chance to act on when fighting for your life.

...the problem is what we do now. You're not even supposed to be here. Do you cop to sneaking out and killing two cultists who attacked you, or do we get the hell out of here and not say anything?
>>
No. 576762 ID: dbe554

Wipe the blood off Cedric, he's about to have a panic attack from the look's of it, and remember you are still training for officership, you need to know how to KEEP CALM and CALM THOSE UNDER YOU.
>>
No. 576768 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576745
Are you serious? This is military experience. She'll be proud of you.

Get the book. Keep the bone-spear as evidence and retrieve your sword. Then report this to the guards so they can clean up and do a proper investigation.
>>
No. 576774 ID: 3921cd

>>576745
I think your mom should find solace in the fact that you just survived an ambush by a pair of possibly more experienced fighters.

Get your blade and the book back. Keep the spear, as evidence. Hiding this only supports the daemon threat.

.. on the other hand there's a good chance your minder is gonna get fired..
>>
No. 576777 ID: d0e0a2

Kill you? Daithi, how can you say that? Your mom was a military commander; She's no stranger to killing in self-defense. She's not going to kill you, metaphorically or literally, for killing those who were attacking you and your friend. Heck, she'd probably give you a hug, talk with you about it and tell you of her first kill if you tell her; It'd be a bonding experience.

Alright, the immediate danger has been dealt with, but there's likely more nearby. Tell Cedric that, and that there'll be time for emotions later, once you're out of danger. For now focus on the task at hand and don't think about what happened.

Immediately take the book and pocket it; We came all the way out here for it and I don't want to forget it.

We need to alert the authorities to what happened here. Yes, alerting them will might get back to your mother and you will get in trouble and the attendant might be fired, but it's more important that the authorities know that there are daemon cultists out here, otherwise more people may be killed or kidnapped by them. That you came forward with this when you could have hidden it will probably mitigate the trouble you get in, and you can make the case to your mother that the attendant shouldn't be fired 'cause nobody would think that retrieving a book would be dangerous.

Take the bone spear with you; It'll be evidence that they were cultists. Also rifle the cultists' pockets for anything that may point to where they're hiding out.

Get Cedric's help to pull your sword from the tree and get going. Get on the path that Lucrais took back to the city. Keep an eye out for any signs she was taken or attacked, and hurry along to try and catch up with her. We want to make sure the cultists didn't get to her.
>>
No. 576782 ID: 65a774
File 140165251909.png - (13.51KB , 900x450 , 28.png )
576782

>Calm down, guys. It's perfectly reasonable for you to be disturbed by this. That's okay. That's a perfectly normal human and mantis response.
I’M A MURDERER!!
>you need to know how to KEEP CALM!
I- I- I need to calm down… and carry on… you’re right… panicking doesn’t help! We need to focus and be logical!
>CALM THOSE UNDER YOU. Wipe the blood off Cedric!
:DaithiNUM: Cedric? A-are you-
:CedricNUM: I’m fine. R-really… I’m just… what were they d-doing here? They weren’t… I… but…
:DaithiNUM: Forget about them! We need to focus on the present!
>What’s your local laws say about self-defense?
:DaithiNUM: Right, I’m pretty sure if anyone finds out about this we can prove it was self-defense! I mean, this guy even had a spear made out of bone! They can’t punish us!
:CedricNUM: It’s fake… it’s made out of wood and metal… but the blood is real… um… I rather not try to find out where the blood came from, though.

>Are you serious? This is military experience. She'll be proud of you.
I don’t… um… she’ll probably be mad that I even put myself in this situation to begin with!
>Kill you? Daithi, how can you say that? Your mom was a military commander; She's no stranger to killing in self-defense. Heck, she'd probably give you a hug, talk with you about it and tell you of her first kill if you tell her; It'd be a bonding experience.
I… I… m-maybe you’re right…
>Get the book. Keep the bone-spear as evidence and retrieve your sword.
:DaithiNUM: Right, the book and spear… err… what are you doing?
:CedricNUM: Checking if they have anything interesting on them… hmm… a few coins… but… err… I rather leave them in their pockets… oh, what’s this? A weird necklace? It can be a clue on who these people are… better grab it, right?
:DaithiNUM: Right.

>...the problem is what we do now. You're not even supposed to be here. Do you cop to sneaking out and killing two cultists who attacked you, or do we get the hell out of here and not say anything?
:DaithiNUM: So… should we tell someone or-
:CedricNUM: I vote running away!
:DaithiNUM: Me too. Let’s get back to the school as fast as possible… but… err… I rather not run through the wood again without a lantern… um… and I probably should stomp out the fire too…
:CedricNUM: Then we’ll take the road to the city. It’s in the open and got lights after it! Let’s go!



:DaithiNUM: …wait, what is that commotion up ahead?
:CedricNUM: Oh, shi- the city guard!
:DaithiNUM: Wait, what are they doing at that tree… is that… Lucrais!? Are they arresting Lucrais!? They are threating her with their weapons!!
:CedricNUM: Well, she probably deserve it… hmm, I think we can sneak around them if we…
:DaithiNUM: They are holding Lucrais! What if they… I mean… err… maybe we should sneak around them…
:CedricNUM: …did you just…?

Insert Fornicate the constable!_
>>
No. 576784 ID: 3921cd

>>576782
Don't hide. That kind of thing implies guilt, and being armed as you are, may cause a serious problem if you're spotted. Approach, get a closer look, and look for signs that they aren't actually guards..
[scan guards]
If they're legit, tell them about the forest fight. also, try not to hold that spear aggressively. Let the tip drag or put it over your shoulder.
>>
No. 576786 ID: 40935b

[show pawn EXP/level]

Can you can get any closer so we can hear what's going on? I think we may have found out where the blood from that weapon came from. If those cultists set up another ambush, It's possible that the guards found another body and are looking for suspects. Lucrais' defensive attitude would naturally make them suspicious.

Although it's tempting to let her get arrested and not have to put up with her crap- possibly for a long time, is she goes to jail-, we should probably bail her out. Explain yourselves to the guards, and show physical evidence when needed.
>>
No. 576788 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576782
The staff may be fake but they definitely were daemon cultists- our scans can only be fooled by shapeshifters. Unfortunately I don't think our scans are admissible as evidence, so I hope the necklace and amulet are enough. In hindsight I suppose we should've taken one of them alive.

Why don't you go a little closer and find out why those guards are harassing her? If you just abandon the lady in distress she's never going to warm up to you. Also it would be a great shame.

Optimally you would distract the guards with the report of cultists and the evidence so that she can get away.
>>
No. 576789 ID: d0e0a2

I'd like to approach them, but we don't know if those guards are real or if they're cultists or somebody else impersonating guards. Unfortunately if they are impersonators they probably have crossbows since the guards have them. That means if you approach and things go wrong there's a decent chance you or Cedric will get shot if you either fight or flee.

I say sneak around and get closer so you can get a better look at the guards and we can scan them; Maybe you'll even be able to listen in. [Scan guards] If they are legit don't just walk out of the bushes; That'll get you shot. Instead call out that you're approaching before approaching, move slow with no sudden movements and keep your hands out where they can see them. That'll significantly lower the chances there's they'll shoot you.

>" what were they d-doing here? They weren’t… I… but…"
There's the possibility that if the cultists have already killed or captured the daemon hunters, then they placed the book there and as a trap for whoever is investigating the hunters' disappearance.
>>
No. 576790 ID: 363ecd

>I don’t… um… she’ll probably be mad that I even put myself in this situation to begin with!
Well, admittedly, yes. But for any good parent that would come second to knowing you made it out safe, and that you could take care of yourself.

...even if you did sneak out when you should have been safe in bed.

>Lucrais!? Are they arresting Lucrais!? They are threating her with their weapons!
Maybe we should approach and find out what the heck is going on.

...granted, getting involved with anything with the guard will pretty much ensure word gets back to your mother. But she'd probably be happy to see the two of you ended up together tonight after all.
>>
No. 576840 ID: 65a774
File 140172355501.png - (12.87KB , 900x450 , 29.png )
576840

>[show pawn EXP/level]
[“The Magician” is level 1*! You will level up in one real world minute!]
>[scan guards]
[Neutral Creature (Friendly): Stone Heaven Guard.]
[Neutral Creature (Friendly): Stone Heaven Guard Lieutenant.]
[“The Chariot” is currently unclaimed!]

>for any good parent being mad would come second to knowing you made it out safe, and that you could take care of yourself... even if you did sneak out when you should have been safe in bed.
She’ll still be mad; even if she’s happy I’m safe!
>She'd probably be happy to see the two of you ended up together tonight after all.
I’m sure she’ll be all swell with me trying to conspire with my bride to be to ruin the wedding and ending up making her hate me even more than before.

>Can you can get any closer so we can hear what's going on?
We’re in the middle of a field... I’m surprised they haven’t seen us yet as it is! So, unless you know a way to hide my fat abdomen in some short grass there’s no way we’re getting closer without them knowing it.
>Although it's tempting to let her get arrested and not have to put up with her crap- possibly for a long time, is she goes to jail…
Hmm… if she’s in jail… she can’t marry me… which means if I just leave her here I… I… I c-can’t… I can’t just leave someone to be arrested when they are innocent, even if it’s Lucrais. Dammit!
>If you just abandon the lady in distress she's never going to warm up to you.
That’s a warm feeling I rather try to avoid. It’s like… being on fire or… pissing your own pants.

>we should approach and find out what the heck is going on.
:GuardNUM: HALT! You can’t just waltz in here! This is a crime scene! Wait… is that a bloody spear!? STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIM-
:AtenaNUM: Yes, yes, enough private. Hmm… you have to be Daithi, correct? …and your friend is?
:CedricNUM: Cadet Cedric, Ma’am.
:DaithiNUM: …wait, how did you-
:AtenaNUM: You’re wearing the official commander cadet uniform… and your friend there is wearing the official hat, even if he is wearing heavy armor instead of an uniform for some reason.
:CedricNUM: Hey, do you know how many times this armor have saved me in field training?
:AtenaNUM: I’m sure it comes in handy. Either way, as far as I know there’s only one male mantis cadet around here, and that would be you, Daithi. Besides, you to take after your father Cathal… if a bit younger… and cuter… and a much nicer, thicker abdo- *Cough* Sorry, I tend to… ah… derail the conversation a bit.
:CedricNUM: …wait, what was that about his abd-
:AtenaNUM: Now, to focus at the matter at hand… It doesn’t escape me that you two are dragging a bloody spear made out of bone right into a murder scene… care to elaborate?
>If they're legit, tell them about the forest fight.
:DaithiNUM: -So I snatched the spear from him and Cedric finish him off. That’s… err… that’s what happened…
:CedricNUM: W-we didn’t mean to kill them… it was just… life or death for a while there.
:AtenaNUM: That’s understandable… and if we do find these cultist up there their deaths will be deemed as self-defense. Now, you didn’t happen to pick up anything else that can prove they were… well, probably mad? Meanwhile, Lieutenant, take three of the privates up there and check it out.
:GuardNUM: Yes, Ma’am!
>The spear may be fake but they definitely were daemon cultists- our scans can only be fooled by shapeshifters. Unfortunately I don't think our scans are admissible as evidence, so I hope the necklace and amulet are enough.
:AtenaNUM: Hmm… this is a weird necklace… what’s it supposed to be? An… eye?
:CedricNUM: Beats me.
:DaithiNUM: I think it’s supposed to be a blind eye… One of the cultist mentioned “The Deceiver” and I do believe she had a sign that looked like that or… err… something?
:AtenaNUM: …how did you-
:DaithiNUM: Oh, I… eh… I read it in a book… that I… um… “borrowed” from the chapel in the school for a while… I was meaning to return it! Honest!
:AtenaNUM: I’m sure you were… hmm… yes, both the priest and the inquisitor in the school has had a bit of an interest in Daemons… maybe I should give them a visit personally… Either way, thank you for your help, Daithi. Heh, I can’t see why the female mantises always look down on you, you’re both resourceful and quite the looker… in fact, if I was just a few years longer I might have given it a shoot myself… um… *Cough* …I mean, thank you for your assistance, citizen… of course, there’s still the question about why you were up there in the first place.

>There's the possibility that if the cultists have already killed or captured the daemon hunters, then they placed the book there and as a trap for whoever is investigating the hunters' disappearance.
:AtenaNUM: A book? Really?
:DaithiNUM: I’m guessing the Cultist had laid a trap for anyone investigating the Daemon hunters disappearance.
:AtenaNUM: Daemon hunters? You mean those crazy vigilantes? I’m pretty sure there haven’t been any of those around these parts. Trust me; I would know… they aren’t exactly… subtle…
:DaithiNUM: Then who was murdered?
:AtenaNUM: Two foreign merchants… flayed and hung up in the trees… just like the rest… hmm… all the reports I’ve read about concerning these murders has always mentioned foreigners… why doesn’t they use locals?
:LucraisNUM: Unhand me, you cur!
:DaithiNUM: Oh, right! Lucrais!
:AtenaNUM: You know each other? Don’t worry about her, she just… a bit shaken discovering those corpses… of course, she’s a bit… feisty, isn’t she? I was planning on throwing her into a cell for the night until she calmed down but… you know her better than me. What do you think? Will she calm down on her own?

Insert Throw her in prison like the criminal scum she is!_
>>
No. 576842 ID: 363ecd

>I’m sure she’ll be all swell with me trying to conspire with my bride to be to ruin the wedding
Yes, that's a detail that should be left out.

>Will she calm down on her own?
She might, if she realizes the alternative is going to cost her dignity or status. Putting her in a cell will probably make her angrier, if anything.

Lucrais, this is hardy behavior befitting a noble, is it? Disturbing the peace, or quarreling with low-level law enforcement is rather beneath you.
>>
No. 576843 ID: 3f0c1b

Finally! [Claim The Tower on level up]

Alright Daithi so she probably won't openly thank you if you help her out here, but she will probably resent you more if you don't help her.

And who knows, maybe she will act grateful for once, it's worth a shot.
>>
No. 576844 ID: dbe554

Man are you just the raging hottie around here or what? You've got old gals swooning after you, young gals that hate your guts still want to bone you.

At this rate you'll lead a legion of ladies into combat, furiously protecting their love captain.
>>
No. 576848 ID: 65a774
File 140172964672.png - (12.01KB , 900x450 , 30.png )
576848

>[Claim The Tower on level up]
[You need to level up before you can claim pawns! You’ll level up in… 1 real world minute!]

>Man are you just the raging hottie around here or what? You've got old gals swooning after you, young gals that hate your guts still want to bone you.
What are you talking about? I’m not… err… not really… um…
>At this rate you'll lead a legion of ladies into combat, furiously protecting their love captain.
By Jove, they’ll probably murder me for trying to swoon several ladies at once…
>Alright Daithi so she probably won't openly thank you if you help her out here, but she will probably resent you more if you don't help her.
Hmm… right… I guess if this will increase the chances of the marriage getting canceled I guess I have to try…

>She might, if she realizes the alternative is going to cost her dignity or status. Putting her in a cell will probably make her angrier, if anything.
:AtenaNUM: Hmmm, you’re right… you should probably talk her down if you can, then.
>And who knows, maybe she will act grateful for once, it's worth a shot.
:DaithiNUM: Lucrais…
:LucraisNUM: Dai!? What in- Keep walking and forget you ever saw me here, you creep!
:DaithiNUM: Is this how a proper lady acts? Disturbing the peace and quarrel with law enforcement?
:LucraisNUM: Of course not, you idiot.
:DaithiNUM: So… you’re not a proper lady? Huh… and I’ve always placed you as one…
:LucraisNUM: I… Shut up, Dai… fine, I get your point. I’ll calm down… even if these ruffians need to learn how to treat a lady with respect!
:AtenaNUM: The only respect we’ll show you is when we escort you to your cell… at least, that would have been the respect we’d shown if Daithi here didn’t convince us that you won’t disturb the peace any longer.
:LucraisNUM: He wh- I- you… I hope you don’t expect a thank you, Dai… Now, might I leave?
:AtenaNUM: You’re free to go for now… as for you Dai and… err…
:CedricNUM: Cedric.
:AtenaNUM: Cedric… right… as for you two, I need to ask you to keep quiet about this. If you mention this murder or those cultist to anyone without my permission I will have you punish, got it?
:DaithiNUM: Err… all right?
:AtenaNUM: Oh, and keep your noses out of this. This is official guard business and I’m sorry, I rather not endanger anyone else either through words or action. Now go back to the city before they close the gates.

Insert It’s a secret to everybody_
>>
No. 576849 ID: dbe554

Well that's that, time to return to the room.
>>
No. 576850 ID: 363ecd

>You’ll level up in… 1 real world minute!
>2014/06/02(Mon)08:39
>2014/06/02(Mon)10:20
It's been 101 real-world minutes. Game clock is broken.

>I need to ask you to keep quiet about this. If you mention this murder or those cultist to anyone without my permission I will have you punish, got it?
Cool. Official security reasons to shut up about a secret that would have caused you trouble anyways! Now you can feel morally superior about your cover up.
>>
No. 576853 ID: d0e0a2

Tell the captain the both of you will definitely keep your mouths shut about this. You weren't gonna blab it around anyway, so this is just extra reason now to.

Now, hurry on back. I'd like to show that book to the head librarian and ask her why she thought the folks that checked it out were daemon hunters and what they looked like. Then you can check the book out yourself so we can find out what's important about it.

Oh, and FYI, the captain scans as a free pawn named "The Chariot." We've seen her before, depicted in the stained glass window of the same name with a dark-skinned human and a mantis who were angry at each other in front of her. We'll have to wait and see what that means, if anything.

You mentioned you'd read something on the daemon named "The Deceiver." What was it? Did it say what it's preferred form is? 'Cause the stained glass window we saw for the Hanged Man supposedly showed a daemon we hadn't encountered yet, and The Deceiver may be it.

I've been wondering: Could your family and the Lucrais' family come to some agreement that'd ally them and exchange resources the same as if you'd married Lucrais without the marriage? Because I'd think that would actually be better, since it wouldn't put you and Lucrais in a miserable situation.
>>
No. 576857 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576848
Wait, one more thing. Tell her the librarian said demon hunters took the book. If there were no demon hunters, was she lying, or was she deceived?
>>
No. 576858 ID: 65a774
File 140173751342.png - (16.95KB , 900x450 , 31.png )
576858

>Cool. Official security reasons to shut up about a secret that would have caused you trouble anyways! Now you can feel morally superior about your cover up.
I can’t help feeling guilty about this whole thing anyway…
>You mentioned you'd read something on the daemon named "The Deceiver." What was it?
Err… she was… I dunno… mother of lies or something? I don’t know, the book was about those weird cults that tend to spring up out in the untamed barbarian lands. I didn’t really believe those thing they pray to existed in the first place…
>Could your family and the Lucrais' family come to some agreement that'd ally them and exchange resources the same as if you'd married Lucrais without the marriage?
That’s kind of what we’re doing right now… expect the only resource we really have to offer is my eggs, so to speak.

>Tell the captain the both of you will definitely keep your mouths shut about this.
:AtenaNUM: Good. Now keep safe, you hear?
>Wait, one more thing. Tell her the librarian said demon hunters took the book. If there were no demon hunters, was she lying, or was she deceived?
:AtenaNUM: Err… you have to ask her about that. I have no idea…



>Now, hurry on back. I'd like to show that book to the head librarian and ask her why she thought the folks that checked it out were daemon hunters and what they looked like.
:UnknownKAK: Oh, you’re back! Did you get the book!?
:DaithiNUM: Um… yeah… but… err…. Why did you think the guys who checked out this book were daemon hunters?
:UnknownKAK: Did I say that? I must have misspoken...
:DaithiNUM: Then who checked it out?
:UnknownKAK: Hmm… I can’t seem to remember… maybe I misplaced it myself?
:CedricNUM: Yeah, I’m not buying it. I’ve seen you threaten people with an axe if they so much as looked at a book funny. There’s no way you should just have “misplaced” it.
:UnknownKAK: It doesn’t really matter who borrowed it in the end, does it? The important thing is that you got it back.
>Then you can check the book out yourself so we can find out what's important about it.
:DaithiNUM: HEY! This is the book I took- err… borrowed from the chapel! The book about daemon cults! How did you- this was in my room yesterday!
:UnknownKAK: How rude, taking a book that’s been loaned from the library without permission… you’re such a bad boy, Dai~ you really need to be punished, hmm?~ But where are my manners… I really must thank you for bringing it back… I owe you one… just say the word… and I’ll… do… anything… for you… and I mean anything~
:DaithiNUM: I… err… hehe… um…
:CedricNUM: Holy crap, dude, she’s into you…
:DaithiNUM: Wha- no, she… she hit on everyone like this!
:CedricNUM: Not like this!

Insert Paint my house_
>>
No. 576864 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576858
I don't trust her. Her behavior is suspicious- she sent you right into a trap using a book that was "checked out" by YOU, now she's trying to get you into bed? She's probably a cultist.
[Scan librarian]

Make an excuse to leave. Also, check the tarot book for the description of "The Magician", please.
>>
No. 576865 ID: dbe554

Told you.

You're definitely a hottie, EMBRACE IT, BECOME THE STUD YOU WERE MEANT TO BE.
>>
No. 576872 ID: d0e0a2

Whoa there, Daithi. Crank that abdomen back down and don't let the little head do the thinking for the big head here, so to speak. Something is fishy and I want to make sure it's nothing dangerous before you even start to consider fornication with her. [Scan head librarian]

Think this through. Presumably nobody saw you take the book from the chapel, so it's most likely the chapel priest came to the head librarian and asked her to find the book. She located it in your room, and instead of handing it over she took it out into the forest. Why?

I can think of two possibilities. The more likely one is that she really has the hots for you, but she couldn't bring herself to just proposition you, so she concocted a rather flimsy plan where she could offer sex in return for retrieving the book. And if you didn't come to her and ask about the book, then she'd just bring it back.

The less likely possibility is she's somehow in league with the cultists, and the book was placed out there as trap, probably for the chapel priest or inquisitor. She'd give either of them the stone, they'd head out there and get jumped and killed. But this one makes even less sense 'cause she sent you and Cedric out.

She'll do anything? Well, then compose yourself, turn around, look her right in the eye and ask her to stop insulting your intelligence and tell you the truth; How did a book that nobody else knew you had get from your room all the way out into woods? Try your hardest not to be a doormat here.

>>576864
He already checked the book for that back here >>575815.
>>
No. 576873 ID: 40935b

Atena can identify you immediately by name and started schmoozing near instantly.
Lucrais, by some bureaucratic fault, was replaced by you in the University roster, and still she can only hate you on principle.
And now the librarian is pulling the 'I'll do anything I mean anything' routine on you.

You're a sexy sumbitch, why did you tell us you weren't a sexy sumbith, you liar. You're also an idiot for running out into the forest to get a book you had all along, you stupid sexy mantis. Tell her you can't call in that favor now, and excuse yourself.
>>
No. 576874 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576872
Ah, thanks. I forgot The Magician just meant "protagonist" in this case.
>>
No. 576876 ID: 65a774
File 140174882097.png - (17.00KB , 900x450 , 32.png )
576876

>[Scan librarian]
[“The Hanged Man” is currently claimed by the woman in green!]
[Demonic Creature(Friendly): The Woman in Green.]

>Her behavior is suspicious- she sent you right into a trap using a book that was "checked out" by YOU…
Err… actually, it was checked out by someone at the chapel… not me…
>You're definitely a hottie, EMBRACE IT, BECOME THE STUD YOU WERE MEANT TO BE.
I… y-you really mean that? Gosh, I never… I… don’t know about… um… heh…
>You're a sexy sumbitch, why did you tell us you weren't a sexy sumbith, you liar.
I promise, this has never happen before! H-honest!
>Whoa there, Daithi. Crank that abdomen back down and don't let the little head do the thinking for the big head here, so to speak.
R-right, I need to focus… think with the right head… but her touch was- No, focus Dai!

>She'll do anything?
:DaithiNUM: You’ll do anything? Anything at all?
:LibbyNUM: Anything your wildest fantasies can conjure up~
:DaithiNUM: Then do my homewo- I mean, tell me the truth! How did that book end up in the woods?
:LibbyNUM: …aw, man… why don’t you ever go for fun times in the sack... *Grumble*
:CedricNUM: I’m asking the same thing…
:LibbyNUM: Hmm… about the book… how do I… hmm… “The spider weaves a complex web, where flies dance a final dance, but even the smallest gusts of breath, will tear the complex web asunder.”
:DaithiNUM: So… um… some kind of… manipulation?
:CedricNUM: Speak Imperial, dammit!
:LibbyNUM: *Sigh* Things happen because other things happen. Just ask Bob or Steve or something…
:DaithiNUM: …who?
:LibbyNUM: Just… go talk to someone else. I’m sure they will be more insightful of the nature of reality collapsing into the abyss. Now, I really need to clean the cover of this book and return it to the chapel… always he chooses the truth… am I to forward? To backwards? But in the books…
:CedricNUM: Man, you blew it… she sounded rather annoyed.
:DaithiNUM: I- wha- but… she was just… I’m getting confused here… did she just make a 180 turn? *Grumble*

Insert She made a 360 flip with a grab_
>>
No. 576879 ID: 40935b

Well she's possessed by a daemon so I guess it's a good thing. She's probably trying to distract you from something. Also, apparently she's 'the hanged man' and Atena is 'the chariot'. You may want to look that up.

I guess we should explain: Steve and Bob are also both daemons who we've run into before. Long story short, they aren't so bad and have helped us in the past. future. time travel is confusing. It's always so hard trying to find out what the hell is going on and where everyone's loyalties lie, but they've been pretty reliable. The daemon possessing Libby is also listed as friendly, but we've never encountered her before.
>>
No. 576880 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576876
Ah. Okay. Nevermind about ths suspicious part. Yeah, I won't tell you what's going on here yet, you'll freak out and I'd like to continue the conversation a bit longer.

Ask her if she's ever heard of someone named Magus, in the Serath kingdom. Was he her... predecessor? Also reassure her that her approach was fine, it's just... your mom would probably kill you.
>>
No. 576881 ID: dbe554

So wait, she's both currently the woman in green and claimed by the woman in green? How does that work?
>>
No. 576886 ID: 65a774
File 140175615630.png - (16.82KB , 900x450 , 33.png )
576886

>Apparently she's 'the hanged man' and Atena is 'the chariot'. You may want to look that up.
“The Hanged man” is associated with self-sacrifice for the sake of enlightenment, bindings that liberate, paradoxes, juxtaposition between heaven and earth, self-entrapment, passivity and surrender.
“The Chariot” is a symbol of war, victory, conquest, self-assertion and command. The image of mastering, controlling, and leading two opposing forces is prevalent.
>Well she's possessed by a daemon so I guess it's a good thing.
I… WHAT!? HOW IS THAT A GOOD THING!?I’m pretty sure Daemons are bad news!
>I guess we should explain: Steve and Bob are also both daemons who we've run into before. Long story short, they aren't so bad and have helped us in the past. future. time travel is confusing.
You… but… I… they… they are helpful… but… daemons… evil?

>Ask her if she's ever heard of someone named Magus, in the Serath kingdom. Was he her... predecessor?
:LibbyNUM: Oh, him… yes, I know him… he’s… a brother… of sorts… haven’t seen him in… well, before all this…
>Also reassure her that her approach was fine, it's just... your mom would probably kill you.
:DaithiNUM: I’m supposed to be married to someone I hate, after all.
:LibbyNUM: Ah, yes, the marriage… I’ve never understood that part. Completely pointless if you ask me.
:DaithiNUM: Err… My marriage or marriage in general?
:LibbyNUM: Both. Yours is doomed to fail from the start while marriages in general mystify me. How is a ring supposed to bind you together until death? Why even bind yourself to one when a constant rotation is better for the gene pool? Hmm, I’ve been studying you for years but I still don’t understand you at all. I mean, you guys lives just for a few years yet you throw away a third of your time just lying down! *Grumble* Never mind that… I need to go back into my head librarian persona and return the book now… *Sigh* Let’s see… smile… breathe… watch were you walk… wait, did I use that sigh correctly? Hmm…

Insert She’s read everything about it_
>>
No. 576889 ID: dbe554

Yeah she's one of the bound daemons alright.

Unlike the Magus, who prefers the sensation of eating and food, she probably enjoys lustful things. No offense and all. We know your brother well over there..

Wait if you are here, then that means there's a vault close by!?
>>
No. 576890 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576886
Alright, that's interesting. I figured the Magus was unique since he was a failed experiment in making a Harvester, but apparently not. I wonder if she's a successful Harvester, or the same design? I'm not sure why Harvesters were being created, actually. They don't seem to be used for anything. Maybe we'll find out later.

Yes, most Daemons are evil. There are exceptions, however. Steve is quite benevolent, and Bob is mainly interested in keeping the Daemons from killing most of the mortal population and therefore killing themselves from eventual starvation. Daemons feed off of emotions- fear is filling, while hope is tasty.

The marriage is doomed, apparently? I wonder if that's unavoidable, or something she's saying to get you to reconsider her offer. Either way, let's get going. She doesn't want to talk anymore and you should get to bed. Call down Cedric from the bookcases.

Hey, if the marriage IS doomed, who would you prefer to be with instead?
>>
No. 576894 ID: 40935b

What's good for the gene pool and what's good for society are two different things.

Well I'm guessing you're just bursting with questions, so ask away. We'll fill you in to the best of our ability, but I'm afraid that we don't know much either.

And it sounds like we can't call off our conspiring to call off the wedding just yet.
>>
No. 576896 ID: d0e0a2

Alright, Daithi, daemon primer time. Daemons are immortal extra-dimensional and -temporal entities that subsist on mortal emotions; Good emotions like happiness are tasty, bad ones like fear are filling. They are not inherently evil, just alien in thought and form. Bob and Steve are part of the ruling faction of daemons that seeks to seal the daemon realm from this world, preventing all daemons from meddling in it. The rebel daemon faction seeks to throw open the gates to this world so they can fuel overthrowing Bob and Steve's faction by eating most of the mortals. For either side to do what they want requires a majority of the four Words of the World, each one sealed in an ancient vault with a weakened daemon bound to watch over it. Libby here is possessed by one such watch daemon, The Woman in Green. Oh, and Bob and Steve are just the names mortals gave them; Their real names are impossible for mortals to comprehend, let alone say.

I think you can figure out why we threw in with the side who's winning doesn't result in most everybody being killed and daemons roaming the world.

Tell her that the threat of maternal wrath was only part of it. There were also two hostile daemon cultists that attacked you hanging around the book, so afterwards you were extra paranoid about how it got there. But even if there were no cultists out there you can't just ignore that logically she, as the head librarian, was the one with the means to find the book in your room and move it out there, so you wanted to know why she'd do such a thing.

Ask her if this was a case where if you'd chosen to jump in the sack, you'll have always chosen to. But if it isn't then what would it have meant if you had chosen something other than asking for the truth.

Oh, and say that since she seemed to be annoyed about putting on her persona and returning the book that she did use that sigh correctly. Then get going; The lady is probably sick of answering your questions all the times she has by now. If you wish you can share what we said with Cedric and White once you're in your quarters.

Well, since the being that can see futures said your marriage to Lucrais is doomed from the start, that's all the more reason to work even harder to get out of it. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that the only way to get there will involve extensively angering your mother.

While I don't agree with Libby about marriage being pointless, I do think that being stuck with someone until death do you part is stupid. The chances that that person will be somebody you can stand and will stand by you a year later, let alone to the end of your days, are ridiculously small. It'd be far better to live together first, that way you can break off when it's apparent things are never going to work out and look for someone new until you find someone you'd want to marry for good.

And I think you really should get laid before you get married, just so you have at least one good sexual experience in case you fail in getting the marriage called off, 'cause otherwise the only sex you ever will have will be angry, violent and for purpose of procreation only; Basically the worst. And really, what're they gonna do if you do get laid? Call off the marriage? If only it was that easy. Of course you don't have to jump into bed with the first lady who shows interest. You've got a few months until the wedding, so you can find someone who you enjoy being with to lose your virginity to. Yes, your mother will be furious if she finds out, but what could she do other than bellow and fume? Kill you for real? She won't do that to her son, and even if she did she may as well call off the wedding instead 'cause it's the same result for the family. Disown you? Same outcome. Really, has she ever done anything more than yell and stomp about when she's angry with you? Why live in fear of that when you can live it up until the proverbial ball 'n' chain is clamped on or the marriage is called off?
>>
No. 576929 ID: c7a241

>You… but… I… they… they are helpful… but… daemons… evil?
Remember your explanation about gods? If they exist, they're just very powerful different beings.

Turns out demons work the same way. They're basically people with different powers and requirements for survival. And some of them are major dicks. Others aren't.

>How is a ring supposed to bind you together until death?
It's not. It's symbolic of the voluntary contract you accept to bind you together. Symbols are powerful, and matter deeply to mortal perspectives.

>Why even bind yourself to one when a constant rotation is better for the gene pool?
Because you're not taking everything into account. Yes, many partners and spreading genetic material around means more variation, which is good. However, bonding and investment in your young comes with significant cooperative advantages that increase the odds of survival of your genes.

There's also the fact that most mortals don't use genetic or evolutionary logic directly (or consciously) to make their decisions. The decision to tie yourself to one person is often emotionally based. Or sometime for political or social or economic advantage. Conflicting priorities, as it were.
>>
No. 576944 ID: 65a774
File 140180590779.png - (16.67KB , 900x450 , 34.png )
576944

>Alright, Daithi, daemon primer time…
Well, that was a bit complicated… It’s starting to get a bit gray doesn’t it… I don’t like gray. Everything being black and white like in the books is so much simpler…
>Hey, if the marriage IS doomed, who would you prefer to be with instead?
Err… I don’t… know? I mean, I haven’t really… you know… considering being with someone forever for real I guess… um… someone I like being with… I guess? Someone that shares a few of my hobbies and… um… someone with a nice, thick abdomen and long legs maybe? …or a nice, firm butt with either a nice, thick tail base or a pair of big, round breasts… I’m a man of many tastes after all… err… I mean… The first part, the personally, is more important, of course, but… nice looks are a plus…
>And I think you really should get laid before you get married.
While I appreciate your help with… um… that, I rather… err... can’t I keep that a bit more private, please?
>And really, what're they gonna do if you do get laid? Call off the marriage? If only it was that easy.
Well, mother can get me kicked out of the school if she gets mad enough… and take away my WarStorm miniatures. Lucrais, on the other hand, can probably lock me in a gilded cage for the rest of my life if she wanted too…
>You've got a few months until the wedding, so you can find someone who you enjoy being with to lose your virginity to.
I’ve been looking for someone for years, what makes you think I would find someone in just a few months… except that everyone seems suddenly more interested in my today than usual…

>Wait if you are here, then that means there's a vault close by!?
:LibbyNUM: Of course, it’s hidden real close by~
:DaithiNUM: Really? Where?
:LibbyNUM: Right here! *Smack* Hidden in my well curved abdomen. All you need to is to search for it… using your tongue~
:DaithiNUM: whao, whoa, slow down… way to forward!
:LibbyNUM: Really? Hmm… Let me write that down…. How about… it’s hidden between my mandibles?
:DaithiNUM: Still rather forward…
>The marriage is doomed, apparently? I wonder if that's unavoidable, or something she's saying to get you to reconsider her offer.
:DaithiNUM: What do you mean, the marriage is doomed?
:LibbyNUM: Someone says the wrong words to the right person… or the right words to the wrong person and everything never was in the first last place.
:DaithiNUM: …I… err… what?
:LibbyNUM: Then you chose another option and everything is as it was and will be in the past of the futures present.
:DaithiNUM: …again, what?
>It's not. It's symbolic of the voluntary contract you accept to bind you together. Symbols are powerful, and matter deeply to mortal perspectives.
:LibbyNUM: Symbols? Yes, you’re right… symbols of this thing you call love… hmm… another symbol of love is a heart, correct? If I brought you a heart would you make love to me? I want to feel this love thing. Hmm… is it supposed to be an animal heart or a humans or lizards or…
:DaithiNUM: Err… I rather that you didn’t bring me any hearts at all!
>Bonding and investment in your young comes with significant cooperative advantages that increase the odds of survival of your genes.
:LibbyNUM: …you mean those small things? I’ve been wondering about those… why don’t the big ones just eat the smaller ones?
:DaithiNUM: …you got to be kidding, right?
:LibbyNUM: Maybe~
>Ask her if this was a case where if you'd chosen to jump in the sack, you'll have always chosen to. But if it isn't then what would it have meant if you had chosen something other than asking for the truth.
:LibbyNUM: You always choose the truth, never anything else… if you did choose something else it would be a pleasant surprise. Especially if you choose to love me this time. Man, Steven is going around waving around the fact he can feel love and I can’t! I want to feel it too! It’s not fair! It makes me feel… I don’t understand what I feel…
:DaithiNUM: Jealousy… envy?
:LibbyNUM: Hmm… Envy… *Click*Clack* …that sound… fitting somehow…

>Either way, let's get going. She doesn't want to talk anymore and you should get to bed. Call down Cedric from the bookcases.
:DaithiNUM: Hey, Ced, it’s time to-
*Crash!*
:CedricNUM: Woops…
:LibbyNUM: DAMMIT CEDRIC!! That will take at least an hour to clean up!
:CedricNUM: Um… well, I do-
:LibbyNUM: You’re going nowhere! Don’t make me bring out the battle axe and severe those legs of yours to make you stay! *Sigh* Now I won’t have time to get the book to the chapel before they closes… dammit Cedric…
:CedricNUM: Sorry…
:LibbyNUM: …oh, hey, I actually sighted! And I’m feeling genially angry! Yes!! I think I am finally getting the hang of this!
:CedricNUM: …does that me- OW!!
:LibbyNUM: Start cleaning this mess up or I’ll hurt you for real!!

Insert you can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!_
>>
No. 576946 ID: c7a241

Well, good luck with those emotions, Libby. And good luck surviving, Cedric.

Now skitter the heck out of here.
>>
No. 576948 ID: dbe554

Speaking of surviving, angry woman glaring from the corner.

Also while you are getting the hang of the emotions greenie, sudden red eyes are not something the average mantid can do!

Also love is a hard emotion to process, even mortals can't get a hold of it sometimes.
>>
No. 576951 ID: bb7a92

Heads up, Daithi; The attendant is behind you, next to the mirror, with crossed arms and a cross expression. ...Hey, what's her name so we don't have to keep calling her "attendant?" It's getting awkward doing that.

Walk over to Libby, out earshot of the attendant, and point out that she should keep that eye color thing in check; It's not something regular folk can do and will unnerve people. And tell her that the longer she's in this form, the easier it'll be to get the hang of emotions. Body does influence mind, after all.

Offer to return the book to the chapel for Libby. That'll give you the opportunity to apologize for taking it and clear up a bit of guilt. I also want to have a look at the priest and inquisitor since I suspect either or both of them was depicted in the tarot windows; Maybe have a chat with them about daemons and cultists.
>>
No. 576953 ID: 65a774
File 140181512421.png - (15.82KB , 900x450 , 35.png )
576953

>Angry woman glaring from the corner.
Oh, crap… the attendant!
>Hey, what's her name so we don't have to keep calling her "attendant?" It's getting awkward doing that.
Well, her name is… err… she’s called… um… A… At… Atten… Attendant? Yeah, I have no idea what her name actually is.

>Walk over to Libby, out earshot of the attendant, and point out that she should keep that eye color thing in check; It's not something regular folk can do and will unnerve people.
:LibbyNUM: You don’t? Are you sure? But they did it in these picture books I found!
:DaithiNUM: They are probably fiction, you know, made up.
:LibbyNUM: Hmm… that would explain why I can’t summon a large drop of water whenever Cedric does something stupid… wait, does this mean that lovemaking doesn’t involve tentacles?
:DaithiNUM: I… what? Of course it doesn’t involve tentacles!
:LibbyNUM: Huh… that would explain a lot, actually…
>Offer to return the book to the chapel for Libby. That'll give you the opportunity to apologize for taking it and clear up a bit of guilt.
:LibbyNUM: Oh? Why, thank you! I’ll remember to… reward you later~
:DaithiNUM: Still a bit too forward…

>Now skitter the heck out of here.
:UnknownKAK: *Cough*
:DaithiNUM: Err… hi?
:UnknownKAK: Do you know what time it is?
:DaithiNUM: Um… ten past eight?
:UnknownKAK: And when did you promise to be back?
:DaithiNUM: Err…
:UnknownKAK: Here’s a hint, it was before eight ‘o’clock!
:DaithiNUM: But I just need to return this book a-
:UnknownKAK: No buts! March that abdomen of yours straight back to your room this instant or I’ll tell your mother you ran out into the dark forest all alone! …and that you were hitting on the librarian trying to get laid!
:DaithiNUM: But I d-
:UnknownKAK: MARCH!!

Insert My sister just got a kid, I’m an uncle now… dammit, I feel old now…_
>>
No. 576954 ID: dbe554

Welp, can't avoid it any longer.

March back to thine room.
>>
No. 576957 ID: c7a241

>Of course it doesn’t involve tentacles!
Usually doesn't involve tentacles. It can.

>what do
Apologize for your tardiness and go to bed, already.

>and that you were hitting on the librarian trying to get laid!
...okay, you have every right to be annoyed with me, but give me a little credit. Have you met her? She was hitting on me, not the other way.
>>
No. 576958 ID: bb7a92

Hey, that's not right! When you left the attendant said to be back by nine, not eight! She moved the time on you! Call back to Cedric to tell you when she said to be back as evidence and call her out on it. Also, when you left Cedric said you had three and a half hours to get back, so what time do you all remember leaving at?

Whether the attendant stands down or not, take the book and start walking to the chapel. You were told to be back by nine 'o clock and by Jove you were back before nine; You're in the right here so stick to it and don't be a doormat. Tell her that you'll be in your quarters by nine and if afterwards she still wants to admit to your mother that she failed in her duty and risk being reprimanded, then that's her choice.
>>
No. 576959 ID: 3f0c1b

Say you were out patching things up with Lucrais and that your mother would probably be happy with you doing so even if it did mean you had to be out late.
>>
No. 576966 ID: 65a774
File 140182242419.png - (16.52KB , 900x450 , 36.png )
576966

>Usually doesn't involve tentacles. It can.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure REAL LIFE doesn’t involve tentacles… at all…

>...okay, you have every right to be annoyed with me, but give me a little credit. Have you met her? She was hitting on me, not the other way.
:UnknownKAK: I haven’t met her, no, but I’m pretty sure she got enough class to not whore herself out to everyone.
>Say you were out patching things up with Lucrais and that your mother would probably be happy with you doing so even if it did mean you had to be out late.
:UnknownKAK: You snuck off to Lucrais even after you heard she had taken ill!?
:DaithiNUM: Actually, We kind of just… um… met her on accident.
:UnknownKAK: …doesn’t really matter what you were doing. You should have been back before eight!
>Hey, that's not right! When you left the attendant said to be back by nine, not eight!
:DaithiNUM: Hey, wait… you said Nine, not eight!
:UnknownKAK: No, I did not.
:DaithiNUM: No, I’m pretty sure… I mean, you gave us three and a half hours to get back which means… HEY, CED!? When did we leave the school today?
:CedricNUM: Um… half past five? Why?
:DaithiNUM: And when were we supposed to be back?
:CedricNUM: Before nine.
:DaithiNUM: Ha!
:UnknownKAK: …fine, you got one hour more. But so help me, if you aren’t back before nine…
:DaithiNUM: I’ll be back before nine, don’t worry.



>Whether the attendant stands down or not, take the book and start walking to the chapel.
:DaithiNUM: Hello? Anyone here… ah, there you are… err… you’re the priest here, right? …hello? I’m just here to leave a book from the library and… I know it’s rude to disturb someone praying but geez… you don’t need to ignore me completely… Hey! HEY!! ANSWEAR ME!!

Insert /Ignore Daithi_
>>
No. 576968 ID: c43091

just trust us on the tentacle thing... we've seen some shit...
>>
No. 576969 ID: 40935b

[scan masked mantis]
[scan Nick Fury human]

There's a really pissed-off looking mantis behind you that appears to be missing a lot of limbs.
>>
No. 576972 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576966
Oh hey, it's Strength, and the mantis from the window. I guess it was a mask all along. What does the big painting depict? Oh, the guy you're trying to talk to might be deaf. Just wait, maybe talk to the mantis instead.

Also uh, um. If there are seven Vaults and Harvesters then I will just fucking flip. Magus was Gluttony, Libby is Envy. At least this time Envy isn't crazy-evil, just emotionally challenged. I think we will want to ask Libby more about the Harvesters later.
>>
No. 576989 ID: 65a774
File 140183079425.png - (16.35KB , 900x450 , 37.png )
576989

>[scan masked mantis]
[“The Forsaken Lion” is currently unclaimed!]
>[scan Nick Fury human]
[“Strength” is currently unclaimed!]

>Just trust us on the tentacle thing... we've seen some shit...
…so… um… should I save time and start crying myself to sleep right now or…?
>What does the big painting depict?
It’s a window… and I think it’s supposed to symbolize the eternal rebirth what with the hourglass and stuff… I don’t know, I’m not really religious.

>There's a really pissed-off looking mantis behind you that appears to be missing a lot of limbs.
:DaithiNUM: Ahh!! Oh, it’s just… um… you scared me a bit there, ma’am… err… hello? …are you going to ignore me too?
>Oh, the guy you're trying to talk to might be deaf. Just wait, maybe talk to the mantis instead.
:DaithiNUM: Right, you’re either both deaf or just mean. Hey, don’t just walk past me and start fiddling with the priest…
:NickolasNUM: …ah, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you come in. … …yes, I got a bit of a hearing problem… so please speak slowly, would you be so kind…
:DaithiNUM: Err… what is she doing to your arm?
:NickolasNUM: … … …oh, she’s my ears, so to speak. She can’t talk herself, what with her missing… um… but enough about our problems, what about your problems?
:DaithiNUM: …actually, I’m just h-
:NickolasNUM: Hmm, does it have to do with your soul being tainted by demonic powers? Hmm… I haven’t felt this kind of corruption since my youth… it’s weak… but it’s there…
:DaithiNUM: Wait, what?
:NickolasNUM: You haven’t, say, heard a bunch of voices speaking in legion, have you? Nasty sort, those things… Hmm, I should probably call the inquisitor on you… who knows, maybe you’re a cultist…

Insert There is medicine for that sort of thing these days_
>>
No. 576991 ID: 0ee153

>The Forsaken Lion
Oh hey, it's Faffers.

>someone else knows about us
Cool! Tell him we say hi. There's a lot of daemons, you've only mostly seen the nastier ones, we're relatively benign. Not that we have any evidence other than our word, and given that he uses "demon" and not "daemon", he probably doesn't know all that much.
>>
No. 576992 ID: 2bfcdf

>>576989
Eh? Corruption? Let me check.
[check corruption levels]
Don't tell him about us. He'll jump to conclusions. We are not demons or gods or aliens, we're something else. Not sure what.

Instead, tell him you killed some demon cultists very recently, and he's probably picking up some residual corruption. Go ahead and describe your encounter, and that the guards can confirm your story.

Ask him about his experiences in his youth.
>>
No. 576994 ID: d0e0a2

Hmm. Maybe we picked up some residual corruption from the cultists. [Check corruption level]

I suspect he's bluffing about sensing that you have daemonic taint and bringing up the inquisitor just to see how you react. If this guy really could sense daemonic power then Libby would have raised all the red flags he's got sky high if she was anywhere near him. So just don't lose your cool and hopefully we'll come out of this fine.

I think a bit of truth here might help get him off of you. Act a little reluctant before saying that you used to see things and hear voices before you started taking medication for it, but they never spoke in legion. And you're pretty certain it wasn't demonic or the like 'cause your family took you to bunch priests and such to check for that, so you don't know why he's sensing such from you.

Walk over and hand the book to him while saying you came here to return it, then apologize for taking it. Say that you're interested in such things, and if he doesn't mind maybe he could tell you about the experience in his youth he mentioned.

That window, where would the beam of light from the hourglass happen to be hitting the world? Near Stone Heaven, perhaps? I think next time you're in the library you should look up what the symbolism of that window is.

...Man, that mask is creeping me the fuck out...

>>576991
No, do not tell him about us! We can't risk you getting hauled in by the inquisitor. Even if you check out it'll most likely take so long you won't be able to get back before nine. And if you don't check out... Well, what could happen if you don't? You'd know more about that then us, but I'm imagining nothing good.

>>576992
Don't tell him about the cultists! The captain said she'd punish you if you spoke about that to anybody. The captain's also planning to speak with him, so it'll almost certainly come out that you spoke to him about it. So keep your mouth shut!
>>
No. 577005 ID: 65a774
File 140183894069.png - (17.12KB , 900x450 , 38.png )
577005

>[check corruption levels]
[Corruption levels at 0%]

>I suspect he's bluffing about sensing that you have daemonic taint and bringing up the inquisitor just to see how you react.
Hmm, probably… of course, that begs the question; does he accuse everyone who enters the chapel or just me?
>Do not tell him about us! We can't risk you getting hauled in by the inquisitor.
Yeah, let’s put “Not being tortured” and “Not being burned alive for demon worshipping” on top of the to-do list, alright?
>Don't tell him about the cultists! The captain said she'd punish you if you spoke about that to anybody.
And let’s not piss off that hot piece of tail either.

>Walk over and hand the book to him while saying you came here to return it, then apologize for taking it.
:NickolasNUM: … …So you’re not here because of the demon taint?
:DaithiNUM: The librarian asked me to give it to you.
:NickolasNUM: … …A book about demon cults?
:DaithiNUM: Err… you borrowed it, didn’t you?
:NickolasNUM: …Indeed I did…
>I think a bit of truth here might help get him off of you. Act a little reluctant before saying that you used to see things and hear voices before you started taking medication for it, but they never spoke in legion.
:NickolasNUM: Hmm… blood on the walls telling you not to trust people?
:DaithiNUM: Err… how did y-
:NickolasNUM: A female voice whispering in the night, seeding paranoia? Everyone around you suddenly seems to be against you? Shadows that aren’t supposed to be there? People saying things they aren’t saying?
:DaithiNUM: …how the hell did you know that I usually hallucinate that!?
:NickolasNUM: … … …Who said anything about hallucinations, hmm?

>Ask him about his experiences in his youth.
:DaithiNUM: Why do I get the feeling you aren’t telling me everything? Who are you, even?
:NickolasNUM: … … …I am a simple priest who goes by the name of Nickolas Irat.
:DaithiNUM: …wait… Irat!? As in general Irat!?
:NickolasNUM: … … …you’ve actually heard about me?
:DaithiNUM: Of course! You’re kind of a war hero, right? Err… not a really famous one but a war hero none the less… but… didn’t General Irat get assassinated by a mercenary from across the sea?
:NickolasNUM: … … …Oh, she tried to, I give her that… but in the end fate had other plans.
:DaithiNUM: ...other plans?
:NickolasNUM: …You know of the untamed lands, yes? The land filled with barbarians and… worse? If you read the book you stole then you should know that there are also demon cults out there.
:DaithiNUM: Err… what does that have to do you surviving an assassination attempt?
:NickolasNUM: … … …I was attacked by this assassin when I was on my lonesome… she was able to poison me but before she should land the killing blow I was able to knock her out… of course, that’s were one of these cults comes in… the cult of the deceiver, they called themselves. They found us, weakened and beaten, and dragged us to their hideout in the middle of nowhere.
:DaithiNUM: And then you had some epic fight with them while you escaped? You got the imperial army to rescue you?
:NickolasNUM: … …Five years… for five years they tortured us for fun…
:DaithiNUM: Err… then you escaped your bonds and broke the torturer’s neck with your-
:NickolasNUM: They outnumbered me thirty to one… brute force would only lead to death… like it always does. No, I spoke with them… questioned them… and when the time came, I gave them the opportunity to seek forgiveness. Some of them did, others… well, their bones are probably gone by now.
:DaithiNUM: …wait, why does the history books say you died?
:NickolasNUM: … … …They don’t, they simply said I disappeared. They deemed it unimperial that I came back, swore of violence completely and became religious…

Insert Censoring the man!_
>>
No. 577007 ID: 2bfcdf

>>577005
Oh dear. Okay you DO have a problem with your soul- that's where the hallucinations are coming from. We know of someone else with a similar corruption though his symptoms are more along the lines of food tasting like ash and excessive bloodlust. Ask how you can cleanse yourself of the corruption. The other guy did so by carrying around a blessed weapon. Not sure if there are paladins around here though so that might be hard to find. Oh, and we should probably get the mantis's name while we're at it.

Speaking of which who's that behind you?
[scan armored lizard]
>>
No. 577013 ID: 2bfcdf

[scan Daithi]
>>
No. 577014 ID: 40935b

Perhaps he could teach you to command? You might be smart, but this guy has experience to back it up. It might motivate him to act if you tell him that the cult of the deceiver is apparently killing people in the city now, and that they attacked you and a friend.

What became of that assassin?
>>
No. 577015 ID: 2bfcdf

>>577014
The assassin is his mantis assistant, obviously. That's why she has such a weird mask.
>>
No. 577027 ID: d0e0a2

...Wow. He's more than a war hero; He's a frickin' saint! That his story was suppressed by the Empire is a terrible shame. The people of Amun should hear of such an act of forgiveness and that even among the wicked there can be redemption. If such a thing is "un-Imperial," then the Empire's ain't worth a hill of beans!

Approach him and ask what you can do to confirm if you've been tainted by the Deceiver, and if you are if there's anything you can do to rid yourself of the taint, or at least suppress or keep it in check. There's also the question of where and how you were tainted. You said you've had the voices and hallucinations since forever, so you must have been tainted when you were but an infant or maybe even before you were born. Do you know where you or your mother were back then?

I didn't notice it until Nikolas mentioned the assassin being from across the sea, but his mantis "ears" is wearing an outfit in a style from the Marches south of the Serath. That taken with with her having such horrible wounds and him saying the assassin was female leads me to believe that she was the assassin. It says much of him that he could forgive and make a friend of her.

And we forgot to mention this, but Nickolas scanned as "Strength," his "ears" scanned as "The Forsaken Lion," and we saw them both depicted in the tarot window for Strength. Look up what the Strength card means; It's quite fitting for Nickolas.

Also, heads up; A lizard clad in red and white armor with a red cross on the chest just showed up. That the Inquisitor? [Scan lizard in armor]

>>577014
Again, keep your mouth shut about the cultists. You promised not to tell, and we don't want to raise the ire of the city guard captain by blabbing. Nikolas will be informed of the cultists soon enough when the captain comes to speak with him.
>>
No. 577090 ID: 65a774
File 140189356533.png - (17.01KB , 900x450 , 39.png )
577090

>[scan Daithi]
[“The Magician” Status: Confused, scared]
>[scan armored lizard]
[“The Stars” are currently unclaimed!]

>...Wow. He's more than a war hero; He's a frickin' saint! That his story was suppressed by the Empire is a terrible shame.
Well… A lot of the Imperial ideology is still all about how being the strongest is good and stuff… They’ve never really liked pacifism.
>Oh dear. Okay you DO have a problem with your soul- that's where the hallucinations are coming from.
I’m pretty sure I’m just crazy, not possessed…

>The assassin is his mantis assistant, obviously. That's why she has such a weird mask.
:DaithiNUM: Wait… your assistant is… err… was the assassin!?
:NickolasNUM: … …was it so obvious? Yes, she tried to murder me for money a few years back.
:DaithiNUM: And you forgave her!?
:NickolasNUM: … … …Do not judge someone for the deeds they have done, but the deeds that will do.
:DaithiNUM: …still, if I was you I wouldn’t trust her at all!
:NickolasNUM: … …Saving someone at the cost of your own safety from the maws of hell itself does bring out the loyalty of people, doesn’t it?
>Oh, and we should probably get the mantis's name while we're at it.
:NickolasNUM: … …It’s Thyna.
>Ask what you can do to confirm if you've been tainted by the Deceiver, and if you are if there's anything you can do to rid yourself of the taint, or at least suppress or keep it in check.
:NickolasNUM: … …you are tainted, of that I am certain. I now that smell well… I’ve been tainted myself after all…
:DaithiNUM: So, how can I fight it?
:NickolasNUM: … …That is something that’s probably best to ask an inquisitor about. They are the ones fighting the demons corruption.
:DaithiNUM: Err… don’t they generally just burn people alive and stuff?
:NickolasNUM: … …Only if you are worshipping a demon. It’s the safest way to root them out, after all. Oh, and speaking of inquisitors, the schools resident Inquisitor is right behind you.
:ArthurNUM: Greetings to mantis! I overheard you had problem, yes?
:DaithiNUM: Err… wait, why does the school have a inquisitor on staff?
:ArthurNUM: Oh, I’m simply… how you say… student of inquisitor. The academy only needs one of us to rebuild wards of magic and in case of emergency, yes? Is it not good place to learn the ropes before becoming real inquisitor? Now, you said you had daemon problem, yes?
:DaithiNUM: Um…
:NickolasNUM: He is corrupted. One of them has been in his mind and… I don’t know if they tried to turn him to their side or if they wanted to dispose of him… or if they just did it for fun.
:ArthurNUM: Well, that good news, no need to collect the kindle and wood then, yes? We simply clean your life of corruption. Now, how you feel? Angry? Slow and dull? Paranoid?
:DaithiNUM: Um… well… I tend to see things that aren’t there…
:ArthurNUM: Ah, the lying one, then. Hmm… do you remember everything? When did you start?
:DaithiNUM: Err… yeah, I remember everything, I guess? …and… I’m pretty sure I’ve always been like this… well, not as bad as this… it got a bit worse over time… at least until I got medication. Err… why wouldn’t I remember everything?
:ArthurNUM: The lying one like to steal memories. We don’t know why but she seems to collect them for purpose not known to us. She is rather greedy for them, yes? Now …you said worse over time? Hm... not good, no? That’s mean… how you say… hmm… that means that… place were corruption is born is close to you, yes? It has to be weak if you’re still not cultist after all this time but if it has gotten worse than it is has to be near you.
:DaithiNUM: …wait, what do you mean, near me?
:ArthurNUM: Do you believe someone near you is cultist? Someone near you is trying to drive you mad, yes? Hmm… maybe they want to sacrifice, yes? But… they like sacrificing people who are not yet man or women and haven’t done thing in bed yet, yes? That means someone as pretty as you is safe, no? How you say… someone with your shape is bound to have friend of girl, yes?
:DaithiNUM: Err… well…

Insert Da!_
>>
No. 577096 ID: c7a241

>I’m pretty sure I’m just crazy, not possessed…
Well, they're two different ways to look at the same problem. One as a problem of the mind, the other as a problem of the spirit.

Problem is, we can't dismiss the later as being without base because we know external mental influences are possible. Players like ourselves speak to pieces, wraiths and demons and corruption can take hold in people. Not that mental illness independent from that does not exist, and deserve to be treated seriously, but we don't have a good means to distinguish between possible causes of you condition.

At the very least, it won't hurt to see if the spiritual model offers any help the medical model hasn't so far.

>you believe someone near you is cultist?
You're asking me if there's anyone I've known and trusted for years who might have secretly been tormenting me and planning to kill me? ...how would I know that! And that's a terrible thing to suggest to someone with paranoia problems!

>Err… well…
Well, congrats, Dathi. Getting laid just became a matter of life and death for you.
>>
No. 577099 ID: dbe554

What sort of accent is he running there?

Though at the same time it seems we are about to go on a quest..A bed quest apparently.

Though at the same time I am curious, while I'm fine with trusting them I'd be concerned if they could figure out we were here.
>>
No. 577100 ID: f28bf6

Hrrrm... Wild thought here-any servants that's been with your family a long time?
As far as sacrificers, unless there's someone you know that's creepy/linked to strange dissapearances, I'd say there's no one that we know of, but we can keep an eye out.
Unfortunately, what with the paranoia, you might not be the person to ask.
>>
No. 577106 ID: d0e0a2

Hah! See, we told you you're one heck of a handsome fellow. Even the inquisitor thinks so. Why are you so blind to this, Daithi?

I'd like to say that it's just that you're crazy, but the way Nickolas sniffed you out and called out all your symptoms says to me that it's pretty certain it's not that, or at least not all of it. You'll have to face up to the fact that somebody has been slowly infecting you with the Deceiver's corruption.

Sheepishly admit that between the mental illness, being a huge nerd, fear of motherly wrath and then the arranged marriage you've never had a girlfriend, so you're still a virgin. Heh. Now you have a genuinely good reason to lose your virginity before the marriage. I wonder who shall you pick to lose it to, hmm?

Has your condition continued to get worse since you enrolled in the Commander Academy? If so then you've still been in regular contact with whoever is the source of the corruption. Who from before you enrolled are you around regularly? Cedric is the only one I can think of, but I think he's quite unlikely 'cause he was just a little kid back when you first got this so I doubt he was the source. So who else would there be?

What about the family attendant? The one you can't remember the name of despite her having been with your family for so long. Might be some memory jiggery going on there. Any other family servants that have been around that long who you've seen regularly? And how 'bout your doctor? How long have you been seeing him (or her) and have you been seeing him (or her) regularly since attending? And unfortunately we can't even rule out Ceana or Cathal, but I'd like to look at them last.

>"I remember everything, I guess?"
Trouble is, can you really be certain of that when facing a daemon who's specialty is stealing memories? Instead, try to look for the edges of any holes that may have been left by memories being removed. Can you remember events or actions that in hindsight seem odd or disjointed, like you did something or something happened and the reason is missing?
>>
No. 577114 ID: 65a774
File 140190722292.png - (16.99KB , 900x450 , 40.png )
577114

>What sort of accent is he running there?
Heck if I know. It’s not imperial, that’s for sure.
>try to look for the edges of any holes that may have been left by memories being removed. Can you remember events or actions that in hindsight seem odd or disjointed, like you did something or something happened and the reason is missing?
Hmm… nope, can’t seem to remember any disjointed memories either…
>Hrrrm... Wild thought here-any servants that's been with your family a long time?
Well… there are some that has been in the family my whole life…
>As far as sacrifices, unless there's someone you know that's creepy/linked to strange disappearances, I'd say there's no one that we know of, but we can keep an eye out.
I don’t know about disappearances, but we’ve had a few creepy servants over the years. Our old butcher, for example, loved to stare and follow you around a bit grumbling about fresh meat… of course, he died of a heart attack a few years back, so… um…
>What about the family attendant? The one you can't remember the name of despite her having been with your family for so long.
Actually, she’s only been with us since I was fourteen… and I started hallucinating before that.

>Has your condition continued to get worse since you enrolled in the Commander Academy?
It got worse until I started taking medicine at the age of fifteen. Since then it’s mellowed out a bit… unless I forget to take my medicine, that is... or get really stressed out like today…
>Hah! See, we told you you're one heck of a handsome fellow. Even the inquisitor thinks so. Why are you so blind to this, Daithi?
Wha- I’m not that handsome! Really! I don’t know what’s up with everyone today but… no… just no.
>Well, congrats, Dathi. Getting laid just became a matter of life and death for you.
Geez, you guys really want to see me get laid, don’t you!? I mean, what are the chances they actually want to sacrifice me? I mean, why wait so long? I’m pretty sure they should have sacrificed me years ago… I was a virgin then to, after all!

>Sheepishly admit that between the mental illness, being a huge nerd, fear of motherly wrath and then the arranged marriage you've never had a girlfriend, so you're still a virgin.
:ArthurNUM: Really? You are still a maiden? Ha! Sure, blame your mother and personality! Do you know what I think? You play for other team, yes? You’re just afraid to admit it, no? I… how you say… I can show you what you missing, cute one. A bit of ra di da, re de di-
:NickolasNUM: Please tell me you aren’t actually hitting on the poor boy, Arthur…
:ArthurNUM: Ah, my sorry’s, Ker’ke, I got a bit hold away there, yes? …wait, no… carried away? Yes, carried away, yes? No, let’s go back to matter in grip. We fix corruption, yes? You come see me tomorrow and we’ll do a few test, find what is wrong with your life, no? Oh, might I take sample of life liquid from you?
:DaithiNUM: L-Life liquid? W-wait, d-d-do you m-
:NickolasNUM: He means blood.
:DaithiNUM: Oh, y-yes, of course… b-blood… not something c-completely different…
:ArthurNUM: I can take sample of something completely different too if you like, Ker’ke… wait, you can’t actually see me close one eye when I have helmet, no? Just… how you say… draw picture of me closing one eye in your head when I said that, yes? Now, might I take sample?
:DaithiNUM: (BY JOVE, WHY IS EVRYONE HITTING ON ME TODAY!? I’m not used to this kind of attention at all!!)

Insert Let’s to a taste sample, which one tastes best? Human, lizard or mantis?_
>>
No. 577118 ID: 3921cd

>>577114
Get tested later. You're already on the spot from your attendant. If she notices any new holes in you it might be even harder to sneak away next time.

Still, we should return here tomorrow. The possibility of your condition being induced is troubling.

Irat might be a good influence on you, too. And us.
>>
No. 577120 ID: 3d177c

>>577114
I'm starting to wonder if people are hitting on you because of our influence. Maybe that's our Player power. Charm! Something tells me that's actually fairly likely considering everyone who has been hitting on you has been going "wow I'm not usually like this" while doing it, and it started immediately after we showed up.

I think we're gonna have to tell your mother about this deceiver thing. She knows the employees and family members the best so she can figure out who's the cultist. Unless it's her, being the High Priestess and all. I mean, the High Priestess is associated with magic of some sort, but you haven't noted anything magical about her. Your father is associated with religion, on the other hand... Then again they're all capable of being claimed as pawns by us, and I doubt we can claim a cultist. So I don't know, what do you think? Can you trust your parents to not be the cause of this? If so you should tell them about it.

Also give a blood donation. Tests are good.
>>
No. 577124 ID: 40935b

>WHY IS EVERYONE HITTING ON ME TODAY!?
Why don't you ask? Maybe you're cute with a traumatized thousand yard stare.

Other theories include: You're just hot, People want something from you, and a benevolent supernatural force attempting to get you laid so that cultists cannot sacrifice you to their dark gods.
>>
No. 577126 ID: dbe554

I really, really doubt we are charm, considering we are as charmless as they come at times.

Though yeah offer up your lifeblood, and man eggs.
>>
No. 577129 ID: 65a774
File 140191335583.png - (16.77KB , 900x450 , 41.png )
577129

>Theories include: You're just hot.
We can rule that one out directly.
>People want something from you.
Like what? I don’t really have a lot to give…
>A benevolent supernatural force attempting to get you laid so that cultists cannot sacrifice you to their dark gods.
…son of a- you guys are doing this, aren’t you!? Admit it!

>I think we're gonna have to tell your mother about this deceiver thing.
…she’s going to lock me up in a cage somewhere where no one can ever get close to me, aren’t she? “For my own protection”…
>Can you trust your parents to not be the cause of this? If so you should tell them about it.
They are my parents! Of course I trust them! But… I don’t know about telling them… I mean, they probably just write it off as my sanity finally failing and lock me up in the nut house for my own good…
>Though yeah offer up your lifeblood, and man eggs.
Hey, let’s keep my man eggs to myself, alright!? I know it’s tempting to find a nice, thigh and warm living incubator for them but… *urgh*…

>Also give a blood donation. Tests are good.
:ArthurNUM: Let me remove helmet so I can see clearly and extend your arm, yes? Remove some mail too, please… there… You’re going to feel a light sting…
:DaithiNUM:
:ArthurNUM: There, all done. This will be done tomorrow, when you come see me, yes? My office is just next to church, just look for door with Arthur on it…. um… why you look at me like that, Ker’ke?
:DaithiNUM: Huh? Oh, it’s n-nothing! I’m f-fine! Really!
:ArthurNUM: Very well then, Mr. Mantis, I can not do any more today for you… at least, not about daemon corruption of your life, yes? Do you have other question or can I leave for tea? You want tea maybe? Good for cold, yes?
:DaithiNUM: (D-dammit, guys! You’re doing this, aren’t you!? Not only are you making people attracted to me, but me attracted to them, right!? I mean, I can understand being physically attracted to Lucrais and Libby… and maybe the captain of the guard too but… the Inquisitor too!? He’s a guy for Jove’s sake! A GUY! I’m not supposed to be attracted to guys!!)

Insert No Homo_
>>
No. 577130 ID: 3d177c

>>577129
If we're doing this, it's not on purpose, and we don't know how to turn it off. Well, let me check if something new has been added to our command list. So far all we can really do is scan things, send messages to other Players, and check the status of our pawns.
[commands]

Don't forget you have to be back by nine.
>>
No. 577132 ID: dbe554

We can bite things too! It feels like getting pricked by a giant mosquito though, so you may want it to help clear your thoughts of dudes.
>>
No. 577137 ID: 40935b

>We can rule that one out directly.
Cease that line of thinking this instant. The inquisitor just outright stated you're pretty; Lucrais hates your guts and still said you're cute. Show some confidence, boy.
>Like what? I don’t really have a lot to give…
Or do you? It's kind of obvious fate has plans for you at this point. Perhaps some people want in.
>…son of a- you guys are doing this, aren’t you!? Admit it!
We know of someone who could make people attractive, but we haven't seen her in a while and we have no idea how she did it. I guess that's a good thing.
[search pawn history, Ctrl+f 'pink']

Anyway, you'd hate to overstay your welcome and you have to be back to your house by nine if you want to see daylight again. You'd love to take up the offer of tea when you get the results back, though.
>>
No. 577140 ID: d0e0a2

Daithi, honest, we don't know what's happening here. If it's us doing it, we're really sorry because it's an ability we've never had before and it's something we'd rather not be doing; We have a long standing opposition to using powers to change people mentally like this. I admit that we have a chronic habit of playing matchmaker and we like seeing folks get together, but we keep our influence to just words; We don't force them.

Here, how about next time you see Cedric you ask him if it's been out of the ordinary for these ladies and gent to be hitting on you. Maybe you've just been oblivious to advances before and us being around brought them to your attention.

Before you go, could you ask Arthur where he's from, and what "Ker'ke" means. His speech pattern makes me think somewhere in the Northlands, but the "Ker'ke" leaves me wondering. Oh, and also tell him and Nickolas your name, just so they can properly address you next they see you.

Then bid your goodbyes and hurry up to your dorm; Hopefully you can get there before nine. Maybe take a cold shower or jack off to tamp down your libido before heading to bed so you can get some decent sleep.
>>
No. 577154 ID: df620b

>>577129
yeah that was a joke we can't make you more attractive. Maybe you just have self esteem problem Jah?
>>
No. 577155 ID: 3921cd

>>577129
Remember that odd Tarot card connection we were looking into? I'm afraid we are, collectively 'the Fool'. So, we seem to attract new experiences. And risk. so, I get this feeling maybe we're making people more open-minded than normal.

Just don't forget, you have a choice. Even if it doesn't look like it. Especially if others are trying to coerce you.

This doesn't seem like the best time for a good introduction to the wide world of welationships, so getting back to your quarters is probably the best move.
>>
No. 577164 ID: 3f0c1b

[check level progress]
We aren't doing it, at least not that we know of... but I'll be honest if we could do it we would. :3

Also, if you pick one then the others might stop flirting with you. Or at least pretend to pick one. I say stick close to Lucrais and remind people you are engaged, it might work.
>>
No. 577186 ID: c7a241

>son of a- you guys are doing this, aren’t you!? Admit it!
If we are, it's not deliberate. No one else who's played host to us has reported this side effect.

I suppose it's possible our presence might be amplifying some latent enchantment or property? Or you're lensing our power in a weird way? Be kind of tricky to investigate that.

>Not only are you making people attracted to me, but me attracted to them, right!?
...'fraid not. We've never had a direct effect on the mental or biochemical processes of our hosts. We can tease and encourage and advise, but we can't change how you feel.

Seriously though, we were only teasing, before. We like to play cupid when we can, but we're not gonna shanghai you into some crazy get laid scheme on the flimsy premise your life depends on it.
>>
No. 577230 ID: 65a774
File 140198638870.png - (12.56KB , 900x450 , 42.png )
577230

>[Commands]
[Common commands: Switch, Connect, Message, Status, Scan, Dance…]
>[check level progress]
[“The Magician” is currently Level 1*! You will gain a level in ~1 real world minute.]

>Daithi, honest, we don't know what's happening here. If it's us doing it, we're really sorry because it's an ability we've never had before and it's something we'd rather not be doing.
A likely story, you cur.
>We can bite things too! It feels like getting pricked by a giant mosquito though…
I… err… I can’t see how that’s… um… is that even useful?
>Cease that line of thinking this instant. The inquisitor just outright stated you're pretty; Lucrais hates your guts and still said you're cute. Show some confidence, boy.
As if, that’s just because of your weird magic shenanigans. People have never found me pretty before!
>if you pick one then the others might stop flirting with you. Or at least pretend to pick one. I say stick close to Lucrais and remind people you are engaged, it might work.
But… um… while the flirting is a bit awkward… err… what if I miss the chance to find someone I like by just latching on to Lucrais?

>Oh, and also tell him and Nickolas your name, just so they can properly address.
:ArthurNUM: Daithi Guaire? Family to Cathal Guaire?
:DaithiNUM: That’s my dad, yes.
:ArthurNUM: Ah, he is… how you say… learner to me. Learn all about the endless cycle from him, yes? He spoke good of you, Dai, said you very good head, yes?
>Could you ask Arthur where he's from, and what "Ker'ke" means.
:ArthurNUM: I am from land of ancestors, yes?
:NickolasNUM: He’s from the untamed lands to the east. Near the great wall.
:DaithiNUM: Wait, you’re from one of the barbarian tribes out there!?
:ArthurNUM: Um… In a way, no?

>Anyway, you'd hate to overstay your welcome and you have to be back to your dorm by nine if you want to see daylight again.
:ArthurNUM: Ah, I understand. No time for tea, yes?
:DaithiNUM: I can probably drink a cup tomorrow when those test results are done, yes?
:ArthurNUM: Oh, yes, that would be good. I’ll have to make some crumpets too, yes? See you tomorrow and have good dream!
:NickolasNUM: …Goodnight Daithi. I’ll pray for your vigilance in the incoming trail.
:DaithiNUM: Trail? What trail?
:NickolasNUM: … …Against the corruption, of course. It’s not going to just disappear out of the blue.
:DaithiNUM: Err… right, thanks and goodnight.

>Maybe take a cold shower…
Hmm… yes, I really need a shower right now…
>or jack off to tamp down your libido before heading to bed so you can get some decent sleep.
…I do have an urge to flip through some of my more private magazines back in the room and maybe lay a batch of eggs… if only I should get some privacy from the attendant… and you guys… are you guys going to be watching me forever from now on or what? I mean, I don’t really think I can do it while someone is watching me ov-
:UnknownKAK: Look who we have here, all alone this late… it’s the dork.
:DaithiNUM: Err… hello, la-
:UnknownKAK: GET HIM!!
:DaithiNUM: OH SHI-

Insert Beating away the ladies with a stick_
>>
No. 577232 ID: c7a241

>is that even useful?
Maybe if we need to distract someone at just the right moment.

>are you guys going to be watching me forever from now on or what?
Nah, we bow out sometimes. Staying linear is hard for us to do for long.

>GET HIM!!
[Dance!]

...I'm sure that will fix everything.
>>
No. 577233 ID: f28bf6

Let's be thankful that there's no lizards or humans-you still have a chance to outrun them, and running is what this voice reccomends!
And I was thinking of making your 'tarot' a bit more literal. Either say something or gesture behind yourself as you run, and I'll bit the lead mantis in the eye!
[prepares to bite on Daithi's signal]
>>
No. 577236 ID: d0e0a2

[Scan trio of female mantis cadets] I'm guessing you have to face this kind of crap often, right? These three been trouble before? How many times has this kind of thing happened since you enrolled?

>is that even useful?
Right now, as a distraction, very much so. Pile on, everybody! [Continually and repeatedly bite trio of female mantis cadets all over] Run, Daithi! Run!

Okay, you won't have much time before they catch up. Is there another route to your dorm room you could take and get there before they get you? What about hiding spots? Anyplace you could duck into where it's quite likely they'll run past? What about the staff or faculty? There anybody nearby who you know will stop this shit if you run to them and then escort you to your room? That'd be my preferred choice if it's available.

I noticed something else about the folks that were hitting on you, Daithi: Except for Libby they were all unclaimed pawns; People we could claim and talk to like you. Might have something to do with why they were attracted to you. I dunno. We'll have to see if non-pawns hit on you as well.

>if only I should get some privacy from the attendant
What, is she going to be in your room all night? ...Well, you could do it in the shower instead. I assume you get the dorm shower all to yourself. Though, you'd have to do it quick and you wouldn't have your magazines, so it wouldn't be that good. Might want to just skip it in that case.

>are you guys going to be watching me forever from now on or what?
Ah, no. We give those with us their privacy when they engage in such activities, either by jumping to another pawn or time skipping. And you can always check with a mirror right before you do it if you want to be sure we're not around.
>>
No. 577239 ID: 3d177c

>>577230
Quick, be adorable!

Or you could duck into one of those doors and jam a chair under the handle...
>>
No. 577240 ID: 65a774
File 140199516139.png - (12.32KB , 900x450 , 43.png )
577240

>[Dance!]
[You’re not a Kickstarter backer!]
>[Scan trio of female mantis cadets]
[Neutral Creature (Hostile): Mantis Bully.] x 2
[Neutral Creature (Neutral): Mantis Cadet.]

>Let's be thankful that there's no lizards or humans-you still have a chance to outrun them, and running is what this voice reccomends!
They still got longer legs then me! …and better stamina! I don’t know if I can outrun them!
>Quick, be adorable!
:UnknownKAK: He’s trying to be adorable! Quick, kick his ass!
>[Continually and repeatedly bite trio of female mantis cadets all over]
:UnknownKAK: You can’t outrun us this ti- OW! MY EYE!
:UnknownKAK: Hey, WATCH I-
*Crash*
:UnknownKAK: Daughter of a-
:DaithiNUM: (Ha! I’m getting away! That biting attack of yours was actually useful!)

>I'm guessing you have to face this kind of crap often, right? These three been trouble before? How many times has this kind of thing happened since you enrolled?
Well, I dunno about those three in particular. Most mantis females around here are outright hostile to me… so… yes, I’ve experience that a bunch of times. Most often they just call me stuff but when I’m unlucky they decide to drag me out to the stables and… let’s just say it’s not a pile of flowers they throw me in. That was probably what they were planning to do to me this time too…
>I noticed something else about the folks that were hitting on you, Daithi: Except for Libby they were all unclaimed pawns; People we could claim and talk to like you.
Really? So you can claim those two lizard and… like… find out what they are thinking? …and don’t say claim and pawn, it sounds like we’re slaves or something then… playthings…
>What, is she going to be in your room all night?
I’m guessing she will be right outside my room for most of the night… and… err… it’s awkward doing… you know… that, when people are around.
>Nah, we bow out sometimes. Staying linear is hard for us to do for long.
Hopefully I don’t have to give you a show when I take a shower… or go to the bathroom…

>Is there another route to your dorm room you could take and get there before they get you?
I should go down a floor and go under them. They are probably expecting me to take the other corridor on the third floor to my dorm.
:UnknownKAK: What do you mean, no rats in the basement?
:UnknownKAK: Just what it sounds like, Ma’am. I’ve been searching for an hour but I haven’t found anything… no rats, no nest, no gnawed food, no droppings, no bones, nothing.
:UnknownKAK: That’s…odd, to say the least. The basement of this place is usually a real breeding ground for the buggers.
:UnknownKAK: So… um…
:UnknownKAK: Right, right… as there aren’t any rat to catch I’ll consider your punishment complete. Just don’t let me catch you trying to spy on the boys showers again.
:UnknownKAK: YES MA’AM!!

Insert This have absolutely nothing to do with anything… honest!_
>>
No. 577242 ID: dbe554

Well we can't exactly see well enough either to be honest, to us your world looks rather 2D with your sprites usually facing one direction or another.

..Actually how would you give us a show, mantids don't have any external parts! I'm still barely certain why you wear clothing.
>>
No. 577244 ID: 3d177c

Oh hey it's The Hermit. Do you know her?
[scan those two]

You aren't slaves, "pawn" to us is like, a soldier. Plus, there's give and take. We help you, you help us. Though mainly by helping us you help yourself. Our goals tend to be the world-saving variety.

No rats in the basement? That is fairly strange. No traces of rats means they've been gone for a while, too. She said they usually breed down there, so I wonder what changed?
>>
No. 577256 ID: 40935b

>That biting attack of yours was actually useful!
Ye of little faith. You're going to have to deal with them yourself, sooner or later, so don't get too comfortable.

>Just don’t let me catch you trying to spy on the boys showers again.
Aaaawkwaaard. Eyes forward, keep walking, you're supposed to be here.

Answer frankly when you're inevitably stopped for some imagined infraction.
>>
No. 577257 ID: 88960e

>Really? So you can claim those two lizard and… like… find out what they are thinking?
Welll, only insomuch as they're willing to tell us. We talk to people, we don't hear ever thought. We also generally show up to help. We don't pop into people's heads to interrogate them.

>…and don’t say claim and pawn, it sounds like we’re slaves or something then… playthings…
We avoid using the jargon when we can, because yes, it honestly is a little insulting. Even if the framework is kind of game like, we don't treat it that way. And we certainly don't control anyone. We guide, advise, help , meddle.
>>
No. 577260 ID: d0e0a2

Oh, who's this? Judging by the uniform, would I be correct in thinking she's a commander? Or is she a member of the faculty? Perhaps both? [Scan female human officer]

While you've ducked the bullies for now, if they don't catch you on the third floor they might figure their best option would be to try and intercept you in the hall leading to your dorm. Or they might split up to try and trap you. You ought to get some backup before heading up.

Approach the officer, do a salute or whatever you ought to do before speaking, and tell her about the three cadets you evaded that tried to grab you for what you assume would be another toss into the stable dung heap. Ask if she could escort you up to your dorm in case they're lying in wait for you; Maybe catch them in the act so they could be disciplined.

When we scanned those three, only two of them showed as hostile bullies and one of them was neutral. Perhaps if you could approach the neutral female mantis cadets one-on-one when they're not around the hostile ones you could convince the neutral ones to help you.

>They still got longer legs then me! …and better stamina! I don’t know if I can outrun them!
Have you ever considered taking up running track? It wouldn't help with leg length, but it would with the stamina.

>Really? So you can claim those two lizard and… like… find out what they are thinking? …and don’t say claim and pawn, it sounds like we’re slaves or something then… playthings…
Uh... Actually, when we're with someone we can't hear what their thinking all the time. It's just if they're thinking right at us, or it's an extra strong thought, or sometimes right after we jump in we hear the thought that was last at the top of their mind.

And sorry for using "claim" and "pawn." We really shouldn't use them, but we do so sometimes 'cause it's the terms this world uses. I dunno if it'll be a shock to you, but this world was built to be a game for the gods. After they died it kept going on its own for so long the pieces eventually took on minds of their own. So despite what words the world uses you're all people now, not pieces.
>>
No. 577261 ID: 2f4b71

>>577240
>no rats, no nest, no gnawed food, no droppings, no bones, nothing.
>That’s…odd, to say the least. The basement of this place is usually a real breeding ground for the buggers.
There's something doooown theeere.
>>
No. 577264 ID: 65a774
File 140200579770.png - (16.21KB , 900x450 , 44.png )
577264

>[scan those two]
[“The Hermit” is unclaimed!]
[Neutral Creature (Neutral): Human Cadet.]

>You aren't slaves, "pawn" to us is like, a soldier. Plus, there's give and take. We help you, you help us. Though mainly by helping us you help yourself. Our goals tend to be the world-saving variety.
Well, just stop saying pawns and stuff, it’s degrading… of course, you’re still welcome to call me king whenever you like too…
>I dunno if it'll be a shock to you, but this world was built to be a game for the gods. After they died it kept going on its own for so long the pieces eventually took on minds of their own.
…welp, if that’s true then that’s the ultimate proofs that the gods are bastards and don’t deserve to be prayed to.
>No rats in the basement? That is fairly strange. No traces of rats means they've been gone for a while, too.
Hmm… I’ve been down there… the unused halls down there are usually filled with those things.
>There's something doooown theeere.
…and I’m going to have to head down there for one reason or another, aren’t I?
>Have you ever considered taking up running track? It wouldn't help with leg length, but it would with the stamina.
But… running is boring! I’ve never really liked physical activity, to be honest… more of a book man, really.

>Oh hey it's The Hermit. Do you know her?
Who’s a hermit? Err… you mean teach? I have no idea who the cadet is but the red headed on is my theory teacher, used to be a commander herself, I think. Her name is Victoria.
>Aaaawkwaaard.
I’m pretty sure she did say that out loud on purpose, as an extra bit of punishment.
>Approach the officer, do a salute or whatever you ought to do before speaking, and tell her about the three cadets you evaded that tried to grab you for what you assume would be another toss into the stable dung heap.
:DaithiNUM: -but luckily one of them tripped and took the others with her when she tumbled so I got away.
:VictoriaNUM: They are after you now again? *Sigh* That those girls never learn… of course, I can’t punish them all, all the time… You know I’ve told you to hang out with Cedric when you’re in the school at night, right?
:DaithiNUM: Yeah, he’s a bit… preoccupied with the librarian.
:VictoriaNUM: …really?
:DaithiNUM: He accidently knocked over a book shelf.
:VictoriaNUM: Oh… I… never mind that… now, about those three girls you were talking about?
:DaithiNUM: Um… well, I don’t know who they were exactly but… um… one of them were wearing-
:VictoriaNUM: I can’t really punish them for wearing something, now can I?
:DaithiNUM: Then you can at least escort me to my dorm, right?
:VictoriaNUM: That, on the other hand, I can do.



:UnknownKAK: Ah, Daithi… you’re even ten minutes early.
:DaithiNUM: I always keep the-
:UnknownKAK: Don’t make me laugh, please. Now, please stay in the dorm for the rest of the evening.
:DaithiNUM: Don’t worry, I’m just planning on taking a shower and then hit the sack…
:UnknownKAK: Good. I’ll be leaving in ten, as I’m off the clock at nine. I hope you can behave yourself tonight without my supervision.
:DaithiNUM: Yes, yes, I’m not a kid anymore… geez…
:VictoriaNUM: Well then, no sight of those mantises… either way, see you tomorrow, Sir. Daithi, remember you got class at half past six.
:DaithiNUM: Don’t worry, I’ll be there… goodnight, Teach… attendant.
:UnknownKAK: Sleep well, Master Daithi.

[LEVEL UP! You can now choose up to 2 new pawns! Current pawns you’ve met are…]
[The High Priestess: Veteran Lord Commander, “loving” mother.]
[The Hierophant: Veteran Inquisitor, “loving” father.]
[The Chariot: Captain of the guard, cougar with a nice tail base.]
[Strength: Saint Nickolas of fury! (Can also detect Daemonic presences)]
[The Hermit: High Commander, Mentor.]
[The Tower: Well-connected noble woman, forced “fiancé” with a huge abdomen.]
[The Star: Novice Inquisitor, expert daemonologist… and if we look at the pattern with the others I’m guessing he probably got a cute butt or something…]
[Choose wisely, as there are two other players in the area looking for pawns!]

Insert Choose your destiny! (or lover… or whatever…)_
>>
No. 577267 ID: 3921cd

>>577264
hard choices abound.
For the sake of Dai's sanity, we should claim his parents immediately.
.. Plus, his mom's pregnant: who knows what sort of jerks are claiming people right now.
And, his father being an inquisitor, may have better insight into tonight's fight.. and his son's pre-existing head-voices

most of all it would really, really suck if Dai ended up having to outmaneuver his parents.
>>
No. 577273 ID: 7f9410

>>577264
Well, White has seen The Tower and The Chariot. We can expect them to maybe try claiming those. I wonder who the other player is though? We didn't spot them today. It's quite possible their king is in the other mantis family. Considering that, and that we should spread around our pawns for maximum influence and useful abilities... I'd claim The Tower but I think I prefer letting White grab her.

Claim Strength, and The High Priestess. Strength because he has an amazing ability, and seems to know something about "voices speaking in unison" which would be us. The The High Priestess because we need to alert someone in charge that The Deceiver is active near Daithi, and has been all his life. I'm actually planning to get her to tell The Heirophant about it, because she's the head of the household and will make the decision of what to do about it. Daithi's dad is a doormat apparently so we can't rely on him to solve family problems, but he's also an Inquisitor so he's the one most likely to know what to do.

I'd like to claim The Star later, so that we have some extra daemonology information, and then I suppose The Hermit for her history knowledge.
>>
No. 577276 ID: 40935b

Claim the High priestess. Attempting to solve the engagement issue with Hirophant or Tower will get us nowhere.

We should choose either the star or the Chariot, so we can get closer to the cultist investigation, and aquire someone who's good in a fight. Also so we can figure out why Dai is so attractive all of a sudden.
>>
No. 577288 ID: 3f0c1b

That was possibly the longest minute in the history of minutes. Time to claim The Tower and anyone else, as long as one of them is The Tower.
>>
No. 577309 ID: d0e0a2

My first pick is The High Priestess. If she's taken by a hostile player then it'll put Daithi and us in a serious bind since she can get him expelled or thrown in the nut house. She's also the best chance for getting Daithi out of the arranged marriage and I see that as the long-term solution to him finding someone to be with he loves. And she's the family matriarch, so even if The Hierophant is taken by a uncooperative player she can put her foot down and still get him to do her bidding.

My other pick is Strength. Nickolas' ability to sniff out daemonic influence will be invaluable going forward, both in rooting out the source of the Deceiver's taint infecting Daithi and any other daemonic corruption. We can't afford to risk losing him to another player. Also, his guidance for Daithi along the trail to clearing the Deceiver's taint will be a big help.

There's also an eighth pawn not listed: The Forsaken Lion; Nickolas' "ears." If we choose Strength then we'll have to keep in mind we ought to pick her the next time we get more pawn slots or ask White to do so. Otherwise a hostile player might take her and that'll be a big problem for Nick and us.

>>577273
Remember, White's been around for a couple days before we arrived. She likely has already seen The Hermit and she might have seen Strength, The Star, or The Forsaken Lion. So don't be surprised if she takes one of them.

>>577288
I does make sense that time is compressed in here. This world was built to be a game played by mortals after all. They wouldn't want to wait around for things to happen if time moved at the same rate in here as out there. Though, that does make me wonder just how many years have actually passed in here. Since the admin's pre-recorded message had a time stamp more than 999 real-time years old it could have been hundreds of thousands of years in here.
>>
No. 577350 ID: c7a241

Strength. There's a perspective (or two? Do they come together? Two sides of the same coin, two broken halves making a stronger whole?) we could use.
>>
No. 577378 ID: 15601e

"The Tower" and “The Stars”
>>
No. 577379 ID: 65a774
File 140207011735.png - (14.73KB , 900x450 , 45.png )
577379

>..Actually how would you give us a show, mantids don't have any external parts! I'm still barely certain why you wear clothing.
I don’t just come out from nowhere, you know. There’s still an opening and it’s lewd and stuff… same thing with lizards, really… either that, or the humans have brainwashed us in the ancient times that nudity is lewdity… but it’s probably the former…

>Claim the High priestess.
[You’ve successfully claimed… YOUR MOM! Nailed it! *Tihi…*]
>Claim Strength.
[You’ve successfully claimed Nick Fury… err… I mean, deaf dude… yeah…]

*Sleeping at an inn music*



:VictoriaNUM: -and you’ve been surrounded by an far superior force, with only a small force of swordsmen at your command. What do you do?
:UnknownKAK: I rally the men and charge! DEATH AND GLORY!
:UnknownKAK: Err… I surrender?
:VictoriaNUM: …Dai? If you think for much longer you’ll end up with an arrow in the eye…
:DaithiNUM: Um… more information, please? Who is the enemy? What kind of army do they have.
:VictoriaNUM: Barbarians, mostly melee warriors but also archers. Look at the board to see their locations.
:DaithiNUM: Hmm… there are some openings to run, but those would leave us without cover from the archers… thought the archers themselves are rather in the open too… hmm…
:VictoriaNUM: Arrow incoming… 5… 4… 3…
:DaithiNUM: Wait, err… I… um…

Insert Surrender and die, or fight and die. Your choice_
>>
No. 577384 ID: 76b151

Looks like one of those classic no-win scenarios.

If you can't run, and can't fight you instead get crafty. Challenge their leader to a one on one fight.
>>
No. 577386 ID: c7a241

Attempt negotiation? Depending on what the enemy wants / what we have / what our mission is / why they're attacking us we might be able to bargain our way out alive.

Or not. But it's better than fighting and dying, or running and dying. (Unless what the enemy is after is information and our primary directive is to prevent them from getting it from us. Then maybe suicide makes sense).

>>577384
Not a bad idea, if they've got an honor-system or code that would increase the odds of the enemy commander accepting. Even if Dai's not a fighting, his odds of getting lucky in one on one are better than standing there and getting filled by arrows.

There's also the chance the one-on-one fight could be used as a suicide gambit- the commander throwing his life away on a distraction to allow his men the opportunity to escape.
>>
No. 577387 ID: d0e0a2

Good morning, Daithi. I hope you had pleasant dreams and slept well.

A pocket scenario, eh? Well, figure you're not going to get out of this one with all your troops. There's gonna have to be sacrifices if any are to escape.

They're swordsmen, so they ought to have shields in addition to armor, right? If they do then get those shields up to cover from the arrows and move into a wedge formation with the mantises on the edge to shield the shorter troops. Then charge the middle of whichever archer group has cover nearest behind them and preferably with no other archers on their flanks. If you push through them into cover fast enough then whoever is left will have a chance to get away.

But if the swordsmen have no shields then the most you could do is pick an opening to run through with archers on only one side and put the mantis troops facing them to shield the rest of the troops. You'll lose those troops but the rest might get away.

By the way, you leveled up when you went to bed. We got two additional candidate slots to fill when you did, bringing us to three in total. We chose your mother, since another player picking her could easily be big trouble for you and us, and Nickolas, since his ability to sniff out daemonic influence will be invaluable.

We were also informed then that there were two other players in the area with free slots looking to fill them. We know of White, but the other is an unknown with who knows what agenda and attitude. I just hope whoever it is will be amicable to working with us, or at least not hostile or working counter to us.

[Message to White: Testing if messaging unlocked for us. You decided on your goals yet? Care to share if you have?]

[Scan "The Hermit"] Lets see if she's been picked yet.
>>
No. 577398 ID: 65a774
File 140208128597.png - (14.78KB , 900x450 , 46.png )
577398

>[Scan "The Hermit"]
[“The Hermit” is currently unclaimed!]
>[Message to White: Testing if messaging unlocked for us. You decided on your goals yet? Care to share if you have?]
[Message from White: Got message “New Epic quest received: Locate the corrupted Rune of Earth! Until it is found the eastern lands will be unfarmable and the barbarian spawn rate there will be increased with 300%! Rewards: Major Rune of Earth! Quest begun [ERROR! To high value!] years ago!”. New quest, new goals…]

>Attempt negotiation?
:DaithiNUM: What are their motivations? Can I negotiate?
:VictoriaNUM: They want to burn down the village, steal all the food and rape the women… or men, In the mantises case…
:DaithiNUM: Ah… so no negotiating then…
>Challenge their leader to a one on one fight.
:VictoriaNUM: You? Fight their leader? Ha! If you wish… just imagine a two meters tall brute with an axe larger than your who-
:DaithiNUM: While he flexes and show off, do the archers put down their bows?
:VictoriaNUM: …they aren’t ready for whatever outburst you’ve planned, if you that’s what you mean.
:DaithiNUM: Good, then the next step of my plan…
>They're swordsmen, so they ought to have shields in addition to armor, right? If they do then get those shields up to cover from the arrows and move into a wedge formation.
:DaithiNUM: While they are distracted I inform my men that on my signal, well go into formation and charge these archers here, they are the ones who are the least defended.
:UnknownKAK: Formation? Like a phalanx?
:VictoriaNUM: He doesn’t have any spears to really make a good phalanx…
:DaithiNUM: No, no, I order them into a wedge formation. That formation is excellent to use against more numerous foes and break up their formations, thus leaving this area here free for us to flee trough.
:UnknownKAK: Trickery? Bah, there’s no glory in that!
:DaithiNUM: There’s no glory in being dead either, which you are and I’m not.
:VictoriaNUM: Excellent, Daithi. You successfully won this encounter… in theory.
:UnknownKAK: Wait, it wasn’t unwinnable?
:VictoriaNUM: Of course not. Even if the odds are stacked against you, you can still win… that’s a good lesson to learn, isn’t it. Now, class dismissed! Clean up the tables and you’re free to leave! Remember tomorrow will be the first day for you to order around some real, living troops, so look forward to that! …oh, and good job, Daithi, that was quite impressive.
:DaithiNUM: Thanks, teach.

>By the way, you leveled up when you went to bed. We got two additional candidate slots to fill when you did, bringing us to three in total. We chose your mother, since another player picking her could easily be big trouble for you and us, and Nickolas, since his ability to sniff out daemonic influence will be invaluable.
So… My mother and an old general? …just… don’t tell my mother anything… um… private about me, alright?
>We were also informed then that there were two other players in the area with free slots looking to fill them. We know of White, but the other is an unknown with who knows what agenda and attitude.
With our luck he’ll be hostile and/or a sociopath. Either way… what now? I’m free for the rest of the day and that whole “God” business at the landmark isn’t going to happen in another three hours…

[You can switch to “The high priestess” and “Strength”!]

Insert Only one? Why not both?_
>>
No. 577399 ID: dbe554

Well, I believe we should swap to Strength, if for now.

You may go bathe and do your business Daithi, gotta keep that stud self looking good.
>>
No. 577401 ID: 7f9410

>>577398
Shouldn't you go visit your inquisitor friend and get some of that demonic taint dealt with?
>>
No. 577403 ID: f28bf6

Seeing the Inquisitor is a good idea. However, we have the option of getting to know/discuss things with the other two pawns so we're off to meet with...Ah! Let's meet with the High Priestess!
[switch to High Priestess]
>>
No. 577408 ID: 40935b

>With our luck he’ll be hostile and/or a sociopath.
Well at least we won't be dealing with any more goddamn cultists. Those purple-robed pricks are EVERYWHERE.

Anyway, you have to get those corruption tests back from the Arthur the inquisitor, and perhaps stop for tea.
I wonder if this works at range: [scan the Star]

We'll meet with your mother. Any advice if we're to try and convince her to call off the engagement? We're planning to find another solution to your families money problems, any other suggestions?

Lastly, the issue of demonic corruption: Wouldn't your father have noticed some of the signs, or is that not his specialty? I understand medicine was working, to an extent, but wouldn't your father also look to supernatural explanations for the voices?
>>
No. 577410 ID: d0e0a2

I see Cedric is lurking outside the window again. Greet him and ask what's up before he accidentally knocks over a flowerpot or something.

I suggest you go see Arthur, get your test results, and partake of tea and crumpets. You can also see if you still have that attraction to him you didn't want. I hope that's cleared up. Then you can go see Nickolas and talk with him about the test results. That'll give us a chance to introduce ourselves to him while you're there.

Remember to leave enough time to at least get within sight of the landmark before six o' clock. We're going to want to be close enough to see what this new "god" looks like, but not right next to it.

[Message to White: Ah, good. We also seek the same rune so as to fix it so it can be used in sealing the daemon realm. Since we have mutual goals would you care to ally? Also, have you spotted any other players here besides us? Oh, and did you get that message last night about the new player as well?]
>>
No. 577415 ID: 7f9410

>>577398
[Message to White: Be careful about pursuing that. Vaults are dangerous. It might be best to work together on this goal, and on driving out the Deceiver cultists.]
>>
No. 577488 ID: c7a241

>Wait, it wasn’t unwinnable?
Almost nothing is unwinnable. You just have worse odds of success, or may be forced to take smaller victories.

>just… don’t tell my mother anything… um… private about me, alright?
No worries.
>>
No. 577531 ID: 65a774
File 140215146203.png - (21.42KB , 900x450 , 47.png )
577531

>[scan the Star]
[Out of range!]
>[Message to White: Be careful about pursuing that. Vaults are dangerous. It might be best to work together on this goal, and on driving out the Deceiver cultists.]
[Player White have sent an request to Ally! Do you accept?]

>The issue of demonic corruption: Wouldn't your father have noticed some of the signs, or is that not his specialty?
I… actually, that’s kind of odd… I remember him taking me to a temple to get something checked more than once, but he never told me what…
>I suggest you go see Arthur, get your test results, and partake of tea and crumpets.
I did promise him that I would see him, didn’t I?
>You may go bathe and do your business Daithi, gotta keep that stud self looking good.
Err… stud? I’m not… but you’re right… I… um… I should clean up before I go see Arthur… I mean… err… I kind of stink right now…

>I see Cedric is lurking outside the window again. Greet him and ask what's up before he accidentally knocks over a flowerpot or something.
:DaithiNUM: Cedric? What are you doing out there?
:CedricNUM: Shh, don’t say my name out loud… I’m hiding from Libby.
:LibbyNUM: Cedric? Where are you? I know your close by… I can smell you fear!
:CedricNUM: I… err… I spilled some coffee on one of her books… so… I’m kind of stuck out here until she cools off a bit…
:LibbyNUM: Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you… cutting off your head will be practically painless!
:DaithiNUM: Right… good luck with that…

>[switch to High Priestess]
:CeanaNUM: -I don’t know what we should do. My baby boy seems to really detest Lady Lucrais, but none of the other Mantis ladies of status shows him any kind of interest…
:CathalNUM: Hmm, maybe we should try outside our species, Honeybun?
:CeanaNUM: Well… I do now that Atena is looking for someone… she is the captain of the city guard so she is rather influential and rich, too…
:CathalNUM: But isn’t she a bit… old? And wasn’t she married once already?
:CeanaNUM: She does have a bit more than ten years on my little grasshopper, sure, but he would do good with a more wise and experienced woman. As for her old marriage, the mantis she was in love with died seven years ago and she’s gotten over it… at least, that’s the feeling I’ve gotten from our bridge nights together.
:CathalNUM: Hmm… maybe… but I’ve never seen him have a real interest in ladies before… maybe he’s… you know…
:CeanaNUM: So, we should find him a suitable man instead?
:CathalNUM: Well, from the top of my head… there’s this up and coming Inquisitor that I’m teaching right now. Of course, he might not be anyone today, but with his astonishing knowledge of demonology he will go far in the order, even considering his… less than stellar background. A lizard named Arthur… which I believe is stationed in the commander school at the moment even… well, that’s the only homosexual man I can think of that isn’t taken yet…
:CeanaNUM: Hmm… first thing first, we need to talk to Dai about this… let’s… let’s invite him over for dinner tonight, that way we’ll have plenty of time to discuss his future.
:CathalNUM: A capital idea, honey!

Insert Making Plans_
>>
No. 577539 ID: 3f0c1b

Fear not Ceana, there should still be hope for Daithi and Lucrais. And if it doesn't work out he does indeed seem to have interests in the opposite gender. Either way we are now here and willing to help.
>>
No. 577540 ID: fd817d

>>577531
Please don't be alarmed.
You have been selected to aid us in resolving the Daemon threat.

we also tend to help with relationship issues.
please stay calm.

Daithi is already our ally as of yesterday, and we must show our gratitude for aiding such a talented young man follow his dreams.

Also, note that owe are Not the same thing as his preexisting psychological issue. we want to help with that as well..

we're very, very glad that Daithi's happiness is being considered for this arranged marriage after all, though he'd rather be free to choose on his own.
>>
No. 577541 ID: dbe554

Actually you might not wish to panic publicly, and incoming we are many and will be speaking with you, our newest friend.
>>
No. 577542 ID: c7a241

Why is it important to you to see your son married off so soon, anyways?
>>
No. 577544 ID: f28bf6

Hello there Miss. You, are the High Priestess, of the set.
Your son, Daithi is the Magician, and we are aiding him in his endeavors. We claimed you, to prevent strife in the future, for there are two others like us, and while one is our ally, the other we have yet to encounter.
Sooo I just realized something. We only know you as Daithi's mother, sooo what's your name?
>>
No. 577547 ID: d0e0a2

(Remember, we promised to respect Daithi's privacy and keep his secrets. That definitely includes him sneaking out last night, so only reveal anything that stemmed from that if you're sure you can come up with a reasonable explanation for it that doesn't involve him sneaking out.)

Hello, Ceana. Please, do not be alarmed. We are a collective of spirits who come to advise and guide those who could have a great influence on the world through times of trouble and turmoil... But you don't believe that, do you? You think we're daemons or something, right? *sigh* Alright... Grab your hubby and go somewhere private with a mirror so you can both see us, then get the ball rolling on ruling out daemonic influence so we can talk without that in the way.

You should know that we are also advising Daithi. We first came to him last night, when you were about to leave for dinner. We were the voices he said he was hearing, so we're sorry for that.

There is still hope for Daithi marrying Lucrais, but it's slim. He has some interest to her, but it's completely smothered because all he sees in a marriage to her is misery. He sees being kept from what he loves and wants to do by being stuck in a gilded cage with a big angry bear who wants to see him as miserable as she is. And she's interested in him too, but it's drowned out partly by him being a representation to her of the fading power of the nobility, but mostly 'cause she was one of those kicked out of the Academy to make room for him so her mother is making her become an economist instead. Lucrais believes Daithi ruined her life and that'll be hard to overcome.

That is a rather interestingly eclectic collection of artifacts you have. Is there any connection between them? I recognize the hammer as the symbol of the Serath Sultanate, and the golden rabbit looks just like the one in Dapir Ilbir Deejeb's personal collection. The potted plant is rather out of place, though. What's it doing here?

[Accept ally request from White] [Scan "The Hierophant"]

>>577544
It's Ceana. Cathal said so, back when we were in the hall outside Daithi's dorm.
>>
No. 577551 ID: 65a774
File 140216380682.png - (20.66KB , 900x450 , 48.png )
577551

>[Scan "The Hierophant"]
[“The Hierophant” belongs to player Purple!]
>[Accept ally request from White]
[You’re now allied with player White!]

>Fear not Ceana.
:CeanaNUM: WHO SAID THAT!?
:CathalNUM: Who said what, honeybun?
>Please don't be alarmed.
:CeanaNUM: Guards! There’s an intruder somewhere close by!
:CathalNUM: Err… honey?
>Please stay calm.
:CeanaNUM: Is he invisible!?
:CathalNUM: Maybe you should sit down, Ceana…?

>We are a collective of spirits who come to advise and guide those who could have a great influence on the world through times of trouble and turmoil...
W-wha- Demons!? Are you here to-
>But you don't believe that, do you? You think we're daemons or something, right?
…err… of course… not? Um…?
>*sigh* Alright... Grab your hubby and go somewhere private with a mirror so you can both see us, then get the ball rolling on ruling out daemonic influence so we can talk without that in the way.
:CeanaNUM: Cathal, quick, we need some privacy and a mirror.
:CathalNUM: Wha- wait, a mirror!? Err… can’t you… do it really have to be a mirror?
:CeanaNUM: Yes… what’s wrong with a mirror?
:CathalNUM: Oh, nothing… nothing at a-all…



:CeanaNUM: …squids?
:CathalNUM: Wait, you can see them too? Um…
:CeanaNUM: …are they demons?
:CathalNUM: I don’t… I’ve never heard about a demon that’s a squid… purple or- I mean, Teal or otherwise...
:CeanaNUM: …let’s… let’s head back to the guards… I rather not look at them any longer…
:CathalNUM: Err… as you wish, honey…



>You have been selected to aid us in resolving the Daemon threat.
…really? What Demon threat?
>Daithi is already our ally as of yesterday, and we must show our gratitude for aiding such a talented young man follow his dreams.
…so you were the voices he heard yesterday? So his medicine is still working? And why wouldn’t I help him? His one of my beloved sons, I’ll do anything for him.
>Also, note that owe are Not the same thing as his preexisting psychological issue. we want to help with that as well…
…right.

>There is still hope for Daithi marrying Lucrais, but it's slim.
Really? They actually kind of like each other? Hmmm…
>She was one of those kicked out of the Academy to make room for him so her mother is making her become an economist instead.
…no, she wasn’t? The student who had the lowest grade and was kicked out was a human… well, not kicked out. More like not accepted. I’m pretty sure Lucrais never even made it to the rooster thanks to her complete inaptitude to lead.
>If it doesn't work out he does indeed seem to have interests in the opposite gender.
...wait, you mean he’s actually gay… or just… bi?
>Why is it important to you to see your son married off so soon, anyways?
Our family is a bit… tight on funds lately… besides, he really needs to get a girlfriend and get laid.
>That is a rather interestingly eclectic collection of artifacts you have. Is there any connection between them?
Thank you… they are souvenir from my travels around the world.
>The potted plant is rather out of place, though. What's it doing here?
It’s a singing tree from the marches far to the south across the great sea. It “sings” if you put it out to the wind. But enough of about those things, you said something about fighting demons?

Insert The golden bunny is actually a real monster so vile even daemons run away in fear from them… and Ceana killed one with her bare hands… for fun…_
>>
No. 577560 ID: 40935b

Apparently Cathal is hearing voices from player purple. He seems really nervous about it though, perhaps purple managed to be more terrifying than us. That's an accomplishment right there.

>I’m pretty sure Lucrais never even made it to the roster
Well she's still jealous like all hell. I'm not even sure she knows that.

>he really needs to get a girlfriend and get laid.
He has little motivation to go out and meet members of the opposite (or same) gender if an arranged marriage to bridezilla is looming over his head.
>>
No. 577562 ID: 7f9410

>>577551
[Message to Purple: Why hello there. I don't suppose you know anything about The Deceiver do you?]
What a coincidence, both of those alternate pairings you suggested for Daithi are people who are suddenly interested in him. Did you put a charm enchantment on him or something? He's also attracted to Arthur despite not having had any homosexual urges at all before that point. It's strange. Considering you are The High Priestess, I figured you should have some magical insight on this.

As for the daemon stuff... here's the rundown. Your son has been influenced by a daemon called The Deceiver for all his life. That's where the hallucinations come from. We tapped you because you are in the best position to find the source of the corruption. There's one strange thing about it though, The Deceiver tends to steal memories and he doesn't think he's missing any. Also, the corruption is weak. I'd have thought that prolonged exposure like this would've resulted in more corruption.

What are the other artifacts on display? That hourglass seems like it should be interesting considering all the hourglass images we've seen.
>>
No. 577567 ID: c7a241

>wait, you mean he’s actually gay… or just… bi?
Maybe? I don't think he's entirely sure how he feels. This stuff can be confusing to figure out as his age, and his position at his school and with his engagement just makes it more complicated.

I think he needs some time, there.
>>
No. 577571 ID: 7f9410

Oh hey, there's another mantis dressed almost exactly like Claire again, in that painting. Or is that another stained glass window? She has the bangle on the right side this time, but the bracelet on the wrong side. How common is that sort of purple outfit combined with antenna bangle and bracelets?
>>
No. 577579 ID: 9ddf68

As for the deamons thing we have reason to believe that they're cultist followers are being drawn here for one reason or another. Also we have reason to believe that some serious shit is about to go down at some point as that's normally what happens shortly after we show up. Oh and we're player teal and your husband is teamed up with player purple so yeah there's that.

Oh and as for your son. since yesterday we have seen him come across His friend Cedric, is wife to be Lucaris, Nickolas and his mantis friend (also on our team, Arthur, the caption of the guard, Victoria Daithi's theory teacher, and Libby the librarian, and the only two that didn't hit on him where Victoria and Nickolas. So yeah if things don't work out with Lucrais you do have some backup options.
>>
No. 577587 ID: d0e0a2

We seek the corrupted Rune of Earth in order to fix it so it can be used in conjunction with the three other Greater Elemental Runes to permanently seal the daemon realm. A faction of daemons is seeking the same Runes to use them to knock down the barriers to their realm so they can basically eat most everybody. Needless to say, whoever gets the majority of the Runes will decide the fate of the world.

You should know that we've scanned Cathal and we see he has been picked by another similar to us that goes by the name Purple. We do not know what Purple's objectives or attitude to us is yet. Please ask Cathal why he didn't reveal that he'd been chosen by Purple and what has Purple told him so far.

We're also pretty sure that Daithi's mental illness is from low level daemonic corruption he's been exposed to his whole life. When he delivered a book to Nickolas Irat, the Academy priest, Nickolas sniffed out the scent of the Deceiver on him, then called out every one of the symptoms of Daithi's "mental illness." Arthur took a blood sample for testing and Daithi should have the results by now. But the question this raises is: How come when you're married to Cathal, a veteran Inquisitor, this wasn't detected long ago?

>"He's one of my beloved sons. I'd do anything for him."
Unfortunately Daithi feels that you don't really feel that way. He's fearful that if he angers you too much that you'll take everything away from him, including taking him out of the Academy. He's even afraid to approach anyone romantically for fear of your wrath. It has to be from the mental illness, but he feels it just the same.

>"Our family is a bit... tight on funds lately..."
Is there any particular reason for that? And you said you would do anything for Daithi, so would you consider cutting some family expenditures so that he could be with who he wants to be?

>"I'm pretty sure Lucrais never even made it on the roster thanks to her complete ineptitude to lead."
Well, then somebody better tell her that 'cause she's gotten it into her stubborn head that she's born to lead 'cause she's a noble, that she was on-track to be enrolled and that Daithi took that all away from her. I think you need to speak with Lady Baideal soon about that and ask her why she hasn't told her daughter the truth, or why her daughter can't face the truth.

[Message to Purple: Greetings. Would you care to share what you're looking to achieve here? We hope that we can work it out and come to a mutually beneficial agreement.]
>>
No. 577589 ID: 40935b

>He's one of my beloved sons, I’ll do anything for him.
Really? I thought he was a good for nothing.
>>
No. 577720 ID: 65a774
File 140223648937.png - (21.00KB , 900x450 , 49.png )
577720

>[Message to Purple: Why hello there. I don't suppose you know anything about The Deceiver do you?]
[Player Purple is currently busy!]

>He has little motivation to go out and meet members of the opposite (or same) gender if an arranged marriage to bridezilla is looming over his head.
But the marriage is a rather new development. We started planning it just a month ago right after Daithi became twenty years old. No, he’s been… I’ve tried to introduce him to some nice girls… and even some more friends, but he’s just too focused on a book or that toy game of his to really care.
>What a coincidence, both of those alternate pairings you suggested for Daithi are people who are suddenly interested in him. Did you put a charm enchantment on him or something?
…hmm, it’s possible that it’s a coincidence… but it does sound a bit like a charm, doesn’t it? But most charms just affect one person, not several.
>Considering you are The High Priestess, I figured you should have some magical insight on this.
High Priestess? I’ve never been a priestess in my life!
>So yeah if things don't work out with Lucrais you do have some backup options.
At least that’s good news…

>Your son has been influenced by a daemon called The Deceiver for all his life. That's where the hallucinations come from.
That’s… sound very unlikely… I mean, we’ve have him tested more than once.
>The question this raises is: How come when you're married to Cathal, a veteran Inquisitor, this wasn't detected long ago?
:CathalNUM: Um… of course we’ve tested him about that, honey… you’ve been with us when we did it, remember? Don’t worry; one thing we can be sure of is that it isn’t some demon cultist trying to sway our son away.
>There's one strange thing about it though, The Deceiver tends to steal memories and he doesn't think he's missing any. Also, the corruption is weak. I'd have thought that prolonged exposure like this would've resulted in more corruption.
Hmm… maybe… maybe this Deceiver has other plans, then? …or you’re just on a wild Ankwark hunt.

>Unfortunately Daithi feels that you don't care for him. He's fearful that if he angers you too much that you'll take everything away from him, including taking him out of the Academy.
Of course I won’t do that! Hmm… maybe I’ve been a bit hard on him, true, but… I’ve… I really need to take is illness into more consideration, don’t I?
>Really? I thought he was a good for nothing.
W-WHAT!? HOW DARE YOU!!
>Is there any particular reason that your funds are running low?
*Sigh* It’s just… all three of my sons and my daughters futures aren’t cheap… and we don’t make as much money as we used to, what with me being retired… and with a new batch of kids coming…
>Oh hey, there's another mantis dressed almost exactly like Claire again, in that stained glass window. How common is that sort of purple outfit combined with antenna bangle and bracelets?
…should I know this Claire? Either way, that’s my daughter, Diana, with Daithi on her right and my other son Daidh on the left… oh, and Cormac Jr. on the far right… standing right next to my first husband Cormac Sr. who’s got my third husband Crisdean and my second husband Cathal to his left… err… and yes, bracers and antenna decorations are rather common among ladies of status, while purple is a royal color…

>I think you need to speak with Lady Baideal soon about Lucrais and ask her why she hasn't told her daughter the truth, or why her daughter can't face the truth.
No, Lady Baideal is just as thick headed as her daughter… the whole Baideal family is rather think headed in fact… no, it’s probably best if I speak to Lady Lucrais myself.
>What are the other artifacts on display? That hourglass seems like it should be interesting considering all the hourglass images we've seen.
The hourglass is the symbol of the religion in the empire. It’s supposed to represent the endless cycle, how we are reborn after we die and all that… as for the rest, let’s see… The giant sword was taken from an barbarian king I bested in one on one combat, the smaller sword is a gift from a Serathian Prince after… heh… a night in my youth... *Cough* …err… where was I… Oh, right… the hammer is the holy symbol of the Serathian religion, the vases are from different countries all over the world and the golden bunny is from a ruin we found at the world wall on the other side of the untamed lands to the east. I have more artifacts on display further down the corridor but… those can wait for another time, right?

>We seek the corrupted Rune of Earth in order to fix it so it can be used in conjunction with the three other Greater Elemental Runes to permanently seal the daemon realm.
…So, you’re saying I’m supposed to save the whole world? That’s… a bit… um… no pressure?
>Apparently Cathal is hearing voices from player purple.
:CeanaNUM: …Honey, when you questioned the mirror… we’re you afraid that you were going to see something there yourself? Something purple?
:CathalNUM: Err… I don’t… know what… um…
:CeanaNUM: Something that talks to you?
:CathalNUM: I… I’m not crazy! Honest! I… I was on my way to see if it was some kind of corruption or… err… honest!
>Please ask Cathal why he didn't reveal that he'd been chosen by Purple and what has Purple told him so far.
:CathalNUM: Um… because… I didn’t want to sound… um… crazy, honeybun?
:CeanaNUM: …what did he tell you?
:CathalNUM: Err… that… I’m destined for great things? That we’re going to take down the empress and a “Player Black” so we can lead the empire? Um… I didn’t really want no part in it as… that’s kind of treason, just discussing something like that!

Insert OFF WITH HIS HEAD!_
>>
No. 577722 ID: dbe554

The good for nothing comment was something he heard you made about him, he truly believes you just want him gone but with benefits towards the family.

He's utterly terrified of you, he still loves you but he's upset you'll leave him to rot, you might want to actually have a talk with him later as from the way he talks about you is if you were going to detach him from the family just to gain a few benefits for the rest of the family.

Also you bested a barbarian king? I have to admit, you sound like someone whose truly seen the world and conquered what you wanted..If not for your condition currently.

Don't worry though about the rune of earth, while it is a large task, we generally do pull through, with most of our 'pawns' intact, it's not what we call you but it's just how all the beings do, do not be as offended, we'd consider you more friends who help us complete our tasks.
>>
No. 577724 ID: 40935b

>W-WHAT!? HOW DARE YOU!!
How dare me? You made that comment.

>I really need to take is illness into more consideration, don’t I?
I'm no psychoanalyst, but it sounds like he's got some kind of inferiority complex because hes been belittled by voices in his head for so long. At this point, he just takes his worthlessness and expendability as fact and tries to hide it from other people.

>the smaller sword is a gift from a Serathian Prince
Would you mind if we asked who?
on a related note, apparently the corrupted earth stone is the reason the Serath lands are a desert. Apparently it's been like this for a long time.

>take down the empress and a “Player Black” so we can lead the empire
Ask Cathal if the voice sounded like a bright-eyed revolutionary or a power-hungry schemer. Now, we need as many details on the empress and the power structures around here as you can give. It's going to be a pain to find out who purple is and what their motivations are, but if their 'king' has something to gain from it, the player is likely to help.

[scan player purple][scan player black]
>>
No. 577728 ID: c7a241

>purple going to war with player black
...ah. Well, that's unfortunate. Players going to war can have rather adverse consequences for their pieces. Especially when one's an established player controlling a nation.

What is exactly is purple's quarrel with black?
>>
No. 577735 ID: d0e0a2

...Dang. I have to say, it sounds like you're a veteran badass. Have you ever considered compiling the stories of your exploits and publishing them? Perhaps under a pen name or by hiring a ghost writer? They might sell well.

Excuse us for the confusion in calling you a high priestess. "The High Priestess" is the codename we get when we scan you, and so far all the candidates we've seen around here have similar codenames from tarot cards. For example, Cathal is "The Hierophant" and Daithi is "The Magician." We haven't seen "The Empress" yet, so whoever it is might actually be the Amun empress. Oh, and could you please tell us what species the empress is.

I wouldn't say you're supposed to save the world, but you'll likely play a major supporting role in it. Daithi is actually the one which the fate of the recovery of the Rune of Earth turns on. He's our prime in this time and place, so he's the linchpin. If he fails, or dies, then we're gone.

Okay, while Purple wanting to take down the empress doesn't directly go against our goal of recovering the Rune of Earth, if he upset the balance of power in the Amun Empire it would very likely get in our way. And since it sounded like taking the empress down would take out Black, she's likely Black's prime.

We also don't know anything about Black. He might be a newcomer, or he might have been with the empress for years. If he's a newcomer then we don't know what his agenda is at all. It could be bad for us or for the Amun Empire. We need to find that out soon.

[Message to Black: Greetings. Are you new here? Would you care to share your goals with us? We would like to cooperate if possible.]

We're sorry for the "good for nothing" comment, but that's actually what Daithi heard you say yesterday, and since our perceptions are altered by his we heard it too. The full quote is "Either way, get that good for nothing son of mine ready so we can sell him off already! ...And someone bring me a pickle! Right now!" From that you can see how much his mental illness can warp his perception of you when he's stressed even with the medication he takes. And sad to say, but growing up with his perception of you see-sawing back and forth so sharply is probably the biggest part of why he thinks you never had any real love for him.

Unfortunately I think Daithi's mental illness has also hammered his self-esteem and -image into the ground. When we tell him he's handsome he sounds like he wants to believe it, but then he brushes it off. He also told us that a lot of the human and lizard cadets have hit on him, but he brushed them off as only being after his for his mantis dick. He really wants his first time to be with someone special, but with his mental illness getting in the way he's not likely going to find someone like that on his own.

And when you speak to Lucrais, I'd suggest trying to get her to meet you at the Commander Academy so you can tell her to ask for her admission records to see for herself just why she didn't get in.
>>
No. 577736 ID: 0bea27

>>577720
This is what I was afraid of. Cathal may not have seemed like an ideal recruit by himself, but selecting them together would ensure they did not end up forced into a conflict of interests like this, to everyone's detriment.
>>
No. 577739 ID: 65a774
File 140225227514.png - (16.45KB , 900x450 , 50.png )
577739

>[scan player purple][scan player black]
[Error!]
>[Message to Black: Greetings. Are you new here? Would you care to share your goals with us? We would like to cooperate if possible.]
[You haven’t yet met black in this timeline!]

>The good for nothing comment was something he heard you made about him, he truly believes you just want him gone but with benefits towards the family.
I… I don’t know what to say? Does he truly think so?
>The full quote is "Either way, get that good for nothing son of mine ready so we can sell him off already! ...And someone bring me a pickle! Right now!"
No, no, I said that giving him a whole dorm for himself instead of having an interspecies one was good for nothing and that dorm was probably only made for some lizards to feel good about themselves… err… the pickle thing was true, though…
>It sounds like he's got some kind of inferiority complex because hes been belittled by voices in his head for so long. At this point, he just takes his worthlessness and expendability as fact and tries to hide it from other people.
I… I really need to talk to him, don’t I? I’ve neglecting it too long…

>Have you ever considered compiling the stories of your exploits and publishing them? Perhaps under a pen name or by hiring a ghost writer? They might sell well.
I’ve never really been a good writer… and besides, my stories aren’t that interesting…
>Would you mind if we asked who the prince was?
His name was Ethros, if I remember correctly… a lizard with glasses…
>On a related note, apparently the corrupted earth stone is the reason the Serath lands are a desert. Apparently it's been like this for a long time.
Are you sure? That’s nearly on the other side of the world! Far west over the great sea!
>Now, we need as many details on the empress and the power structures around here as you can give.
Err… she’s probably in the capital, miles from here and heavily guarded. I’m pretty sure my husband isn’t going to be enough to dethrone her, no matter what that voice says. I mean, she was elected by popular vote, so she even has the people on her side!
>Oh, and could you please tell us what species the empress is.
Mantis, of course.

>Ask Cathal if the voice sounded like a bright-eyed revolutionary or a power-hungry schemer.
:CathalNUM: Err… he sounded… um… wrong… and he was like… a giant squid thing with lots of eyes and mouths were they shouldn’t be… err…
:CeanaNUM: …sounds like I’m going to need to keep an eye on you, honey. Now, order some of the servants to prepare for dinner with Daithi, while the two of us heads to the academy. I really need to talk to my boy.
:CathalNUM: Err… yes, honeybun!



:DaithiNUM: What do you mean, he’s not here?
:NickolasNUM: … … …he’s still down in his lab in the basement, probably trying to get those test results of yours.
:DaithiNUM: But… isn’t the basement off limits since teach found out about the rats?
:NickolasNUM: … … …He’s probably an exception… of course, he should have been back more than an hour ago… hmm… and have you waxed your mandibles?
:DaithiNUM: Wha- err… of course not!
:NickolasNUM: I thought mantises only waxed your mandibles when you were trying to impress someone…
:DaithiNUM: shut up…

Insert All alone, in a basement? Nah, he’s fine, really_
>>
No. 577740 ID: 9ddf68

hey Daithi, good news we've talked to your mother and she's not as bad as you thought, seems that crap that's been making you see things has also be twisting her words around you. Oh and your father has been picked up by someone named player purple and purple plans to dethrone the empress so we may need to watch him to make sure he doesn't get make a traitor or something. and no we don't know how purple plans to do that so it could be anything from a vigorous campaign to have one of his people put on the throne or the more traditional uprising but we're not sure yet and we'd rather not jump to conclusions.

Oh and are we with Daithi right now or are we with Nick right now? It can be hard for us to tell at times.
>>
No. 577741 ID: c7a241

>No, no, I said that giving him a whole dorm
>I… I really need to talk to him, don’t I? I’ve neglecting it too long…
Parents are often surprised by what their children latch onto, what they remember, what little things loom large in their minds and become important to them. Small things you may have forgot, or not meant anything by. You don't need to be ashamed of that.

..but yes, talking to him when you can will probably help.

>Swap
Hello again, everyone who can hear us.
>>
No. 577746 ID: 7f9410

>>577739
Hey. We've been told your mother had you tested for daemonic corruption before, what's up with that? I wonder if The Deceiver managed to hide the corruption somehow from the tests, or got to the people testing.

Let's go to the basement. Bring help though, if you can get it. Oh, and hey Nickolas. We have chosen you to help save the world! You mentioned to Daithi earlier something about "multiple voices speaking in unison" and well obviously that sounds like us. Could you explain? I think we should go to the basement now, are you up for some danger? I understand if you intend to stay a pacifist for now, but I expect you may change your mind when the crisis reveals itself.

[Message to White: Do you have any pawns available to help us scout the basement? Could be dangerous. Oh, who are your pawns anyway? We have Daithi, Nickolas, and Ceana. We have discovered Purple claimed Cathal, and Black is supposedly controlling the empress. Purple seems intent on taking out Black and taking over the empire- not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet.]

[Scan The Forsaken Lion]
>>
No. 577768 ID: d0e0a2

...Daithi, did you really wax your mandibles? I thought you didn't like that you were suddenly attracted to Arthur, so why are you trying to impress him? I'm okay with it, just curious about the change in attitude.

We have good news! We spoke with your mother and it looks like all the bad stuff you've heard her say over the years is actually from your mental illness. See, we told her what you heard her say yesterday, about you being "good for nothing," and it wasn't anything like that; She was actually complaining about the wastefulness of you being given a whole dorm instead of added to an interspecies one. So see how your mind has been twisting words around? From what we saw and heard she really does love you and would do anything for you.

Your mother is also well aware of how much you despise Lucrais. She's planning to invite you to dinner tonight so you can have a nice long discussion about that and your future. She's also open to you marrying outside your species or even if you want to pursue a guy, so you have options besides Lucrais.

Also, what Lucrais said about her being bumped out to make room for you in the Academy is wrong. According to Ceana Lucrais didn't even make the grade to enter the Academy, so she's erroneously blaming you for her failure. Ceana is planning to speak with Lucrais and see if she can knock that notion out of her thick head.

We also have bad news. We found out that the other player in the area is Purple because he picked Cathal. That alone wouldn't be bad, but according to Cathal Purple told him his goal is to take down the empress and player Black so as to lead the empire. Bad enough, but to make matters worse Cathal said Purple's reflection looked like a "giant squid thing with lots of eyes and mouths where they shouldn't be" and its voice sounded wrong. That makes me 99% sure Purple is corrupted and that could be really bad because we've seen that a corrupted player can take direct control of one of their pieces or just kill them outright if they're no longer of use. That means Cathal can't just ignore Purple. ...Man, I'm really regretting that we didn't choose Cathal instead of Nickolas now.

Speaking of Nickolas; Hello there, Nickolas. I'd give you the spiel about us being benign and here to advise and guide you and that we want to save the world but you wouldn't believe us so I'll save us both the trouble. Just get a mirror and have a look-see at us; Maybe show Thyna too. And you can question Daithi about what we've told him so far. We'll let our actions speak for us.

[Scan "The Forsaken Lion"]

Daithi, you should get backup for when you go into the basement. Would Victoria be available? She'd probably be interested in finding out why the rats are missing. And is Cedric still hiding from Libby? I'd like to bring him along as well. We'll shoot off a message to White and ask if he can get there. [Message to White: We'd like some backup for Daithi when he investigates the basement. Can Cedric get there without Libby spotting him?] Oh, and don't forget your sword, Daithi.
>>
No. 577774 ID: 7f9410

>>577768
>purple may be corrupted, may possess Cathal
Jeez, I hadn't even considered that possibility during the choosing of pawns. We can try to steal Cathal from Purple next time we level up, though... We should also try to find a magical weapon so that we can kill Purple if we have to. Or heck, just a mage of some sort. Players can apparently be killed by magic, if Bob's information about how the fight with Grey normally went is correct.

We should also tell Cathal that it's possible for him to fight back against Purple if he tries to possess him. He is an Inquisitor, he should be strong of mind once given proper motivation.
>>
No. 577780 ID: 40935b

Whelp, looks like you have to go down there and look for him. Don't even think of saying that you're scared or that it's dangerous. You killed two cultists of the deceiver without taking a scratch, so I don't want to hear any defeatism from you today. We've asked White to send Cedric over to help; if Nickolas is going to join you, don't put him in a position where he has to fight anything.

You're probably going to have to sneak in if it's been closed off. Given your stellar record of doing so, you may want to bring some kind of bribe. I'm guessing you should be prepared to deal with some kind of animal that's eating the rats, or an influence that could drive them off. Do you know of anything that could do that, Nickolas?

Lastly, we spoke to your mother. As it turns out, she realized how unsuccessful a marriage with Lucrais will be, and sees both Arthur and Athena as potential spouses. We also withheld any information related to that escapade with the cultists.
>>
No. 577782 ID: d0e0a2

>>577774
Yeah, we should see about doing all that. We should also try to find out who Purple's king is. I have a feeling that if we're going to do to Purple what we did to Gray it'll have to be when Purple is with his king. Also, as a backup plan we could take out Purple's king, but of course that's not my preferred option.

Now, we know that we only had candidates to choose from that we saw, so I assume Purple was the same. So his king would have to have been near Cathal. If we scan everyone on the list we could have picked and find another Purple chose, then we can look for a common person between them and Cathal. So we need to scan Lucris, Captain of the Guard Atena, and Arthur ASAP.

We should also inform Cathal about this, after mirror-checking to make sure Purple isn't around. Have him play along as long as he can, but write down what Purple is asking him to do (after mirror-checking for Purple) and handing it to Ceana.
>>
No. 577791 ID: 65a774
File 140226774473.png - (13.31KB , 900x450 , 51.png )
577791

>[Scan "The Forsaken Lion"]
["The Forsaken Lion" is claimed by Player Teal (by proxy). Note: You’re unable to directly command "The Forsaken Lion"!]
>[Message to White: Do you have any pawns available to help us scout the basement? Could be dangerous. Oh, who are your pawns anyway? We have Daithi, Nickolas, and Ceana. We have discovered Purple claimed Cathal, and Black is supposedly controlling the empress. Purple seems intent on taking out Black and taking over the empire- not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet.]
[Message from White: Sending over The Moon. Didn’t claim any pawns, focused instead of upgrading what I had. Also, spotted a pawn for purple, it was a demon hunter called “Reverted Sun”.]

>Hello again, everyone who can hear us.
:NickolasNUM: Well, that’s not something I’ve done in a while… someone who can talk to me?
:DaithiNUM: Err… you can hear them?
>I'd give you the spiel about us being benign and here to advise and guide you and that we want to save the world but you wouldn't believe us.
:NickolasNUM: You’ve yet given me any reason not to trust you… nor any reason to actually trust you either… except that it seems you’ve confused poor Thyna as she doesn’t seem to hear you.
>You mentioned to Daithi earlier something about "multiple voices speaking in unison" and well obviously that sounds like us.
:NickolasNUM: You’re not the same… you’re… nice, so to speak. The voice I was referring to was the voice of the Deceiver, a voice that whisper dark secrets to slowly drive you mad… you sound rather benign in comparison.

>...Daithi, did you really wax your mandibles? I thought you didn't like that you were suddenly attracted to Arthur, so why are you trying to impress him?
:DaithiNUM: I… err… well… you did say that I should look my best, remember… and… err… I’m not really… you know…
:NickolasNUM: *Raises Eyebrow*
:DaithiNUM: Shut up.
>Good news, we've talked to your mother and she's not as bad as you thought, seems that crap that's been making you see things has also be twisting her words around you.
:DaithiNUM: Really? I… don’t… but… so she actually… loves me?
>Your mother is also well aware of how much you despise Lucrais. She's planning to invite you to dinner tonight so you can have a nice long discussion about that and your future. She's also open to you marrying outside your species or even if you want to pursue a guy, so you have options besides Lucrais.
:DaithiNUM: Oh… that’s… that’s great! …err… except… I’m supposed to be… err… at that place at six… so… I don’t think I got the time?
>Also, what Lucrais said about her being bumped out to make room for you in the Academy is wrong. According to Ceana Lucrais didn't even make the grade to enter the Academy, so she's erroneously blaming you for her failure.
:DaithiNUM: that actually makes a lot more sense. The chance of her being kicked out because of me would be rather small, wouldn’t it?
>Hey. We've been told your mother had you tested for daemonic corruption before, what's up with that?
:DaithiNUM: So that’s what we did in the temple all those times… why didn’t I consider it before?
:NickolasNUM: … …But… they didn’t find anything?
:DaithiNUM: Not that I know of, no.
:NickolasNUM: … …odd.

>We also have bad news. We found out that the other player in the area is Purple because he picked Cathal. That alone wouldn't be bad, but according to Cathal Purple told him his goal is to take down the empress and player Black so as to lead the empire.
:DaithiNUM: THEY GOT DAD!?
:NickolasNUM: Hmm… trying to take the Empress would be a fools errant. She is the most powerful person in the whole empire…
>to make matters worse Cathal said Purple's reflection looked like a "giant squid thing with lots of eyes and mouths where they shouldn't be" and its voice sounded wrong. That makes me 99% sure Purple is corrupted and that could be really bad because we've seen that a corrupted player can take direct control of one of their pieces or just kill them outright if they're no longer of use.
:DaithiNUM: I… but… WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!
:NickolasNUM: … …First thing we will do is calm down, Dai. The second thing we will do is to observe the situation. It’s possible we are jumping to conclusions as we don’t have all the facts yet. Remember, things are never as they seem at first glance.

>Let's go to the basement. Bring help though, if you can get it.
:DaithiNUM: But it can b-
>Don't even think of saying that you're scared or that it's dangerous. You killed two cultists of the deceiver without taking a scratch, so I don't want to hear any defeatism from you today.
:DaithiNUM: …but… that was… um… kind of a fluke…
:NickolasNUM: … …Cultist are not someone you win over on a fluke. Remember, Dai, you are your own worst enemy. If you keep second guessing and don’t trust yourself you will lose.
:DaithiNUM: But I-
:NickolasNUM: You got the best grades of all the first year cadets, you successfully won a scenario who Victoria created that most people think is impossible, you’ve been fighting a demon daily and are still sane. You are a lot better than you think you are, Dai.
:DaithiNUM: I… I guess…
>I'm guessing you should be prepared to deal with some kind of animal that's eating the rats, or an influence that could drive them off. Do you know of anything that could do that, Nickolas?
:NickolasNUM: Hmm, there is a lot of things that would scare away a rat… but… if we’re going by the same theme as the rest… animals, including rats, are smart enough to flee when a demonic presence is near. Of course, the chances that it’s something mundane are a lot bigger, isn’t it?
:CedricNUM: Guys! I’m here! Let’s get this party started!
:UnknownKAK: No one can enter the basement at this time... that goes double for you, Cedric.
:CedricNUM: Oh, yeah, I remember now… I’m banned from the cellar ever since I rigged that wine casket to blow up when someone opened it… so, what’s the plan?
:UnknownKAK: Err… I’m standing right here?

Insert Plans told right in front of the enemy are the best plans… they probably won’t work, sure, but they are still the best!_
>>
No. 577792 ID: 7f9410

>>577791
I suppose we may be jumping to conclusions about Purple, sure. The wrongness and monstrous visage might just be his normal thing, just like how one of our other Player allies in Serath looks like a skeletal lizard. We'd have to contact him somehow to be sure... the one corrupted Player we met was rather emotionally unstable. Okay so, The Sun Inverted can be interpreted as someone who is depressed but will soon be presented with a new opportunity and a way out of their depression. Am I close there, Daithi? If that's right, then Purple might be a good thing for them and we're worrying too much.

To get past the doorman just explain that you're worried about a novice Inquisitor that went down there. Why is it blocked off? Cedric... might not be able to come no matter what we do, what with the specific ban on him... oh. Does your mother have authority here? Or Nickolas?
[message to White: Upgrading? How does that work? We haven't been presented with that option yet.]
>>
No. 577793 ID: 8ce85b

Upgrading?
We might wish to consider that in the future...wait how do we do that.
>>
No. 577795 ID: 2fc3e9

How exactly is it odd that someone called the Deceiver tricked some people into believing that he wasn't here?
>>
No. 577797 ID: c7a241

>You’ve yet given me any reason not to trust you… nor any reason to actually trust you either… except that it seems you’ve confused poor Thyna as she doesn’t seem to hear you.
Well, thank you for the vote of letting us prove our trustworthiness.

Sorry about Thyna, we didn't anticipate that. The rules we operate by only allow us to communicate with certain people, and only so many of them at once. And those same rules seem to have a problem differentiating between the two of you.

>Note: You’re unable to directly command "The Forsaken Lion"!
...can we alter our chat settings? Bump down the security a notch or two, and allow proxy-units read access?

>test for demonic corruption didn't ping Daithi before
Um. Bad thought. What if we're the ones who are afflicted? (The time-jumping could be seen as memory loss). After all, he didn't test positive till we showed up.

>It’s possible we are jumping to conclusions as we don’t have all the facts yet.
Yeah. Just because purple may have a fearsome avatar doesn't mean anything conclusive about his or her mental state, personality, or corruption.

>You got the best grades of all the first year cadets, you successfully won a scenario who Victoria created that most people think is impossible, you’ve been fighting a demon daily and are still sane. You are a lot better than you think you are, Dai.
There's also the fact we chose you as our King, too. I know the game-piece metaphor can be a little belittling, but we wouldn't have been drawn to make you our central piece if you were worthless.
>>
No. 577802 ID: 7f9410

>>577797
If we're afflicted... oh. We have a corruption-checking diagnostic but when we got infested by a Wraith the Wraith was able to fool the diagnostic and make it look like we were far more corrupted than we actually were. So maybe that's happening again, except this time it's falsified so that it reads 0. The blood test would confirm this, so if that's the case then The Deceiver is going to stop that information from going anywhere.

[scan guard]
>>
No. 577810 ID: 65a774
File 140227270896.png - (13.41KB , 900x450 , 52.png )
577810

>[scan guard]
[Neutral Creature (Neutral): Lizard Cadet.]
>Upgrading? We might wish to consider that in the future...wait how do we do that.
[Error! Upgrading for non-AI Players are currently bugged out! Please wait for the next path!]
>...can we alter our chat settings? Bump down the security a notch or two, and allow proxy-units read access?
[Error!]

>How exactly is it odd that someone called the Deceiver tricked some people into believing that he wasn't here?
:DaithiNUM: (Well, when you put it that way…)
>There's also the fact we chose you as our King, too. I know the game-piece metaphor can be a little belittling, but we wouldn't have been drawn to make you our central piece if you were worthless.
:DaithiNUM: (Geez… just don’t blame me when I fail to save the world, guys…)

>Well, thank you for the vote of letting us prove our trustworthiness. Sorry about Thyna, we didn't anticipate that.
:NickolasNUM: (Thank you for apologizing.)
>Um. Bad thought. What if we're the ones who are afflicted?
:NickolasNUM: (Are you? I do not smell the stench of demons on me and yet you are a part of me right now, are you not?)
>I suppose we may be jumping to conclusions about Purple, sure. The wrongness and monstrous visage might just be his normal thing, just like how one of our other Player allies in Serath looks like a skeletal lizard.
:NickolasNUM: (Never judge a person for what he looks like… or in what group he’s in. Just ask Arthur himself, I’m sure he can support me on this claim.)

>To get past the doorman just explain that you're worried about a novice Inquisitor that went down there.
:UnknownKAK: He will come out soon enough. No one enters unless they got permission from the main faculty.
>Why is it blocked off?
:UnknownKAK: Something about rats and the groundskeeper… I don’t know… all I know was that Victoria was kind of mad about something.
>Does your mother have authority here? Or Nickolas?
:NickolasNUM: (I doubt Dai’s mother would have any kind of authority here… and I’m sorry to say, I’m not part of the main faculty.)
:DaithiNUM: So… how do we get down there? I don’t think we can get permission…
:CedricNUM: We can always lie about it…
:UnknownKAK: I’m still standing right here, guys…
:CedricNUM: Or maybe bribe her?
:DaithiNUM: Are there any other ways down there? Windows, maybe?
:CedricNUM: There are two more stairs leading down but they are probably guarded too… but no windows, sorry.
:UnknownKAK: You could at least walk around the corner or something…

Insert She’s rather rude, isn’t she?_
>>
No. 577814 ID: f28bf6

Guard lady has a point. We should at least scope out the other two entrances...And if not, ask her what she likes in case we do end up doing the bribery thing.
>>
No. 577817 ID: 40935b

>Really? I… don’t… but… so she actually… loves me?
The fact that you find that borderline unbelievable implies a problem all on its own. You're going to have to try and give her a second chance, once we get this deceiver business figured out.

>Of course, the chances that it’s something mundane are a lot bigger, isn’t it?
...Right, you haven't been around us for very long. It's honestly more like a 50/50 chance.

>I’m still standing right here, guys…
Well that rules out lying. Bribery is right out if you're still a starving student. Unless- she's a cadet, right? Could you offer to do her homework, or give her answers to a test, or something? A favor for a favor? She must be in some kind of trouble to have been stuck with this job.
>>
No. 577821 ID: 7f9410

Maybe we should find Victoria and express our concerns. She may be able to help.
>>
No. 577835 ID: 883807

I know, say you guys well try another door but drag the cadit along with you like she's part of the group but leave someone behind to go down into the basement while she's being dragged away. Also while dragging her continue ignoring everything she says
>>
No. 577850 ID: d0e0a2

...Wait, the groundkeeper is involved somehow? And Victoria is mad about it? That sounds like she found out something about what happened to the rats. I think we should quickly find Victoria and ask her about this. I mean, for all we know the basement is off-limits 'cause the groundskeeper has been putting down real nasty rat poison for awhile and its a serious health hazard down there now.

>I don't think we can get permission...
Why would you think that? I'm sure if Nickolas tells Victoria he's worried that Arthur is late, and you say he has some test results you really need to see, that she'll agree to allowing you two to go down there; Especially if she escorts you. Cedric, though... He'll probably have to wait at the top of the stairs. In that case leave the door open so you can shout back up if there's trouble.

[Message to White: What upgrades did you pick? Anything that might help here?]

>I’m supposed to be… err… at that place at six… so… I don’t think I got the time?
Actually, Ceana and Cathal are on their way to the Academy right now. After what we told Ceana she wants to have a real good mother-son talk with you.

Nickolas, you're totally right that we should not jump to conclusions about Purple and gather more intel on him. Heck, for all we know Black is the one that's corrupted and has control of the empress, meaning Purple's goal is more or less in the right. ...I still think we should watch what we say around Cathal, just to be safe.

There is something that might help us here. Supposedly our scan ability can detect the level of daemonic corruption in another, but I don't know if it's working right. (Ref. scan function help text >>/questarch/565710: "Scan: Scan pawn status, Daemon corruption and player loyalties in either your own or a nearby pawn.") In all the times we've scanned its never returned corruption level but maybe we just never scanned the right person. So we might have a way to detect if Purple is corrupted if we can scan his reflection.
>>
No. 577904 ID: 65a774
File 140234057199.png - (13.12KB , 900x450 , 53.png )
577904

>[Message to White: What upgrades did you pick? Anything that might help here?]
[Message from White: Holy.]

>Actually, Ceana and Cathal are on their way to the Academy right now. After what we told Ceana she wants to have a real good mother-son talk with you.
:DaithiNUM: (WHAT!? Right now!? B-but... I haven’t cleaned my room since yesterday’s alo- err…)

>Maybe we should find Victoria and express our concerns. She may be able to help.
:UnknownKAK: She had to talk to that captain chick from the guard and said she didn’t want to be disturbed… but sure, go and disturb her with your trivial problems if you must.
:CedricNUM: Hmm… maybe we should disturb her right now? Or what do you think?
:DaithiNUM: Hey, don’t ask me…
>Could you offer to do her homework, or give her answers to a test, or something?
:UnknownKAK: Yeah? How should I know that you’re just not some stupid jock that’s only here because of your mom or something?
:DaithiNUM: Um… well, I’ve nearly aced every test I’ve gotten so far…
:UnknownKAK: Yeah, right… and I’m the Queen of the Deracks!
:DaithiNUM: Um… Derack is a democracy…
:UnknownKAK: Whatever.
>A favor for a favor?
:UnknownKAK: Like what?
:DaithiNUM: Um… I can… err…
:CedricNUM: How about a date with this “sexy” mantis?
:DaithiNUM: WAIT, WHAT!?
:UnknownKAK: Sorry, not really into mantises… no matter how shiny their mandibles are…
:CedricNUM: Oh, right, I was about to ask you about tha-
:DaithiNUM: Shut it, Ced.
>I know, say you guys well try another door but drag the cadet along with you like she's part of the group but leave someone behind to go down into the basement while she's being dragged away. Also while dragging her continue ignoring everything she says
:DaithiNUM: Right, let’s go to the-
:UnknownKAK: Hey! Touch me again and I’ll bite you! HARD!!
:DaithiNUM: Err… and suddenly I don’t want to touch her anymore…

:DaithiNUM: So… err… that didn’t work…
:CedricNUM: If you grew some balls and just dragged her away it would have… hmm… maybe we get her drunk… or scare her away with something?
:NickolasNUM: … …I would advise you to find a favor she’s willing to take, instead…
:DaithiNUM: Or we should always disturb Victoria…
:CedricNUM: I don’t know… she doesn’t like me as it is already… and whatever she’s telling the captain of the guard is probably important.
:UnknownKAK: Or you guys should just give up… or at least huddle together and whisper instead of just STANDING THERE!! Geez… this is getting annoying.

Insert Decisions, decisions…_
>>
No. 577912 ID: 7f9410

>>577904
Why don't you just ask her what it'll take for her to let us through. Be direct. There has to be something she wants.
>>
No. 577916 ID: dbe554

What do you have in your room that your mother would care over? I mean she's coming to have a heartfelt talk over the fact that she never really realized how bad the issues you had were. I doubt something in there would be cause for concern unless you left out some stream of horrific pornography.

But yeah, just ask her what she wants, a bribe, a favor, I'm pretty sure you'd be available to do most things she'd ask of you so long as they aren't too personal.
>>
No. 577972 ID: 2eac65

>>577904
I think it would be best to get permission to enter the basement. There's a risk that we'll annoy Victoria, but entering the basement without permission would get you in much worse trouble in the long run.
>>
No. 578005 ID: d0e0a2

>>577912
I have a feeling that what she'll want is for the two chucklefucks annoying her to shut up and leave.

>>577916
She could just tell Daithi and Cedric to go do whatever will get them away from her for awhile, then still not let them through when they return. I'd rather not risk wasting time on that.

Why are we dilly-dallying about trying to figure out favors bribe the guard when Arthur could be in real danger down there?! We've wasted enough time, we can't afford to waste more on that or going to Victoria. We'll go in without permission and if Arthur is in danger than we'll be justified, and if he isn't then we'll take the punishment.

Okay, I have an idea. We can use our bites and nibbles to give her the feeling that a swarm of bugs are crawling around under her uniform and freak her out. We'll start from her pant cuffs and where her tail comes out with trails of quick nibbles like the insects climbed up her legs, then spread out and even get under her underwear. When she starts swatting all over herself to try and squish the bugs we'll start biting and bite more and more the more she swats. That ought to send her running for the nearest bathroom to strip down, leaving the door to the basement clear.

Now, it's important that you both react correctly, so once she starts doing the ants-in-your-pants dance give her your most convincing "what the fuck" expression. And whatever you do, DO NOT admit to having any part in this no matter how much she'll probably be yelling and cursing at you that you're the culprit. And get out of her way if she tries to hit you.

But if she somehow doesn't run, Daithi, just tackle her over so you have an opening to get down the stairs. Even as a male mantis you're taller, bigger and heavier than her, and you're wearing mail so if she somehow bites you it don't be a problem.
>>
No. 578012 ID: 65a774
File 140241297209.png - (19.79KB , 900x450 , 54.png )
578012

>What do you have in your room that your mother would care over?
:DaithiNUM: (Private things! …and things that smell! I need to clean it before she gets here!)

>Why don't you just ask her what it'll take for her to let us through. Be direct. There has to be something she wants.
:UnknownKAK: What I want? I want you two to fuck off, that’s what.
:CedricNUM: Are y-
:UnknownKAK: Shut up.
:CedricNUM: Bu-
:UnknownKAK: SHUT UP!
:CedricNUM:
:UnknownKAK: See? That wasn’t hard, now was it? Now you’ll just need to use those legs of yours and walk away!
>Why are we dilly-dallying about trying to figure out favors bribe the guard when Arthur could be in real danger down there?! We've wasted enough time, we can't afford to waste more on that or going to Victoria.
:DaithiNUM: (Right, we don’t have any more time! It’s time to act!)

>Okay, I have an idea. We can use our bites and nibbles to give her the feeling that a swarm of bugs are crawling around under her uniform and freak her out. That ought to send her running for the nearest bathroom to strip down, leaving the door to the basement clear.
:UnknownKAK: What in th- hey! Get off! GET THEM OFF ME! GET THEM- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA… *cries*

:CedricNUM: …well, that was fun…
:DaithiNUM: …um… I feel a bit guilty about that…
:NickolasNUM: … …well, you did just traumatize a young lady, probably for life… I better go see that’s she’s alright.
:CedricNUM: Right, enough talk! Down we go!
:DaithiNUM: No, wait, mayb-
:CedricNUM: Go, go, go!



:DaithiNUM: …is it just me, or is the basement suddenly a lot more creepy then before?
*Creak*
:CedricNUM: Just the building moving, that’s all…
*Whisper*
:DAithiNUM: …the wind?
*…*
:DaithiNUM: …and creepy silence… right… err… which way to Arthurs lab again?
:CedricNUM: Heck if I know…
:DaithiNUM: …well, crab baskets.

Insert Basements are always creepy, it’s some kind of law or something_
>>
No. 578021 ID: c7a241

>Private things! …and things that smell!
Don't worry. We'll buy you the time to hide your porn, drugs and unclean laundry.

>um… I feel a bit guilty about that
...as do I. Really, invisible molestation? Geeze.

>which way to the lab
Well, there are signs. A sword, and apple, a shield, a book, and a skull.

I'd assume the sword and shield refer to weapons and armor storage, and the apple to food. The book and skull could denote the lab (knowledge, and dangerous materials?) or maybe they're more literal (library and crypt). Still, I think that's our best bet.

Head to the left, behind the stairs.
>>
No. 578022 ID: 40935b

>I feel a bit guilty about that…
This is a crash course in doing what needs to be done, and oh boy do we have shit to do. We'll have to take the moral high ground when it won't doom our objectives.

>well, you did just traumatize a young lady, probably for life.
Oh come now, it wasn't THAT bad.

Doing it again, though, that'd be really shitty.

Okay, the signs indicate storage for.. weapons, armor, food, some kind of documentation, and... a crypt? I don't think he'd have a lab in armament or food storage, so head to the left. You might want to grab a light source and close the door behind you in case the guard comes back.And don't split up, even if you need to hold Cedric by the collar.
>>
No. 578025 ID: e5777a

...Oh, man ...I really feel terrible we did that. Not only did we traumatize her but it can't have helped Nickolas' opinion of us either and you two are likely going to get in trouble for this. And on top of that we don't even know where Arthur's lab is, so any time we gained by it has a good chance of being lost and then some just finding the lab. Dammit... We should have just gone to Victoria. *sigh* But what's done is done and we're down here now so we'll make the best of it. And from now on we'll be much more prudent in who we bite.

We should get a light to carry with us. Ask Cedric to climb up those crates behind the stairs and unhook the lantern from the ceiling. That is, unless either of you have some kind of light source on you.

The door with the sword sign is closest, so it'll take only a moment to open it and take a quick peek inside to check if Arthur's lab is there. If it's not then go in the direction the library and crypt signs point, back under the stairs. And be quick about it! I don't want what we did to get down here to be for naught; That'll make it even worse.

Daithi, remember, when you're stressed your hallucinations and they effect not only you but what we can see and hear too. Without Nickolas around to counter that we can't totally trust what we're seeing here, so check with Cedric regularly that you're seeing the same things. And keep him from wandering off, even if you have to hold him by the shoulder.

[Scan all armor mannequins]

>>578022
Don't close the door. We do not want to block the extra light from upstairs. If the guard comes back then whether the door is open or not will not matter; She'll figure we're down here all the same.
>>
No. 578027 ID: 76b151

What kind of research is Arthur doing? That would help us narrow down what the signs mean. Weapons research could be the sword or the skull after all.
>>
No. 578030 ID: 65a774
File 140242243496.png - (16.90KB , 900x450 , 55.png )
578030

[Scan all armor mannequins]
[No target found!]

>Oh come now, it wasn't THAT bad.
I hope you’re right…
>What kind of research is Arthur doing?
Err… if I’m infected with demonic taint, remember?
>Okay, the signs indicate storage for... weapons, armor, food, some kind of documentation, and... a crypt?
:DaithiNUM: Wait… the school got a crypt?
:CedricNUM: I’m pretty sure the school doesn’t have a crypt, no.
>The door with the sword sign is closest, so it'll take only a moment to open it and take a quick peek inside to check if Arthur's lab is there.
:DaithiNUM: It’s locked.
:CedricNUM: I’m not really shocked, as they probably don’t want just anyone raiding the weapon storage.
>We should get a light to carry with us. Ask Cedric to climb up those crates behind the stairs and unhook the lantern from the ceiling.
:CedricNUM: Err… I don’t think I can unlink a metal chain just like that… besides, there is enough light down here to see most things.
:DaithiNUM: If you say so…
>Don't split up, even if you need to hold Cedric by the collar.
:DaithiNUM: Hey! Where are you going!?
:CedricNUM: Oh, I’m just going to borrow a bottle of wine, that’s-
:DaithiNUM: We’re here to find the Inquisitor, not a bottle of wine!

>Head to the left, behind the stairs.
:DaithiNUM: So… book and skull?
:CedricNUM: Hmm… archive of some sort and… hmm… death?
:DaithiNUM: Dangerous substances?
:CedricNUM: Lizard in red armor?
:DaithiNUM: …what does- oh, Arthur!
:ArthurNUM: Hmm? Ah, greet to you, Mantis. What carry you here?
:DaithiNUM: Well, you were going to meet me with the test results after class, remember?
:ArthurNUM: Oh, the test… hmm… how you say, test aren’t finished, yes?
:DaithiNUM: So… um… how long until they are done?
:ArthurNUM: Oh… um… many hours, yes? You should really go now, mantis, basement of limits, yes?
:CedricNUM: Wait, why is the basement closed off anyway?
:ArthurNUM: Mop man used poison against rats, see? It’s unhealthy to breathe to long, yes?
:CedricNUM: Then… why are you here?
:ArthurNUM: Ah, see… how you say… workplace good air, no? Also, poison in other part of basement. In food store, yes? Do not worry, food is safe… but you are not, no? You should leave while I finish test in workspace right here, yes?
:CedricNUM: Actually, why are you even standing outside your lab in the first place?
:ArthurNUM: …I needed good air? Now, please leave, Mantis and human, I need all focus to do test, yes?

Insert Good air sold on can, only one dollah_
>>
No. 578032 ID: f28bf6

...Please tell me one of you guys has a mirrior. Bad explainations& Purple claiming Daithi's Father has me worried.
[scan Lizard in armor]
>>
No. 578034 ID: 40935b

[scan Arthur]
...Arthur, have you been hearing voices? It's been going around lately, don't panic.

Have you noticed anything wrong with the air?
>>
No. 578036 ID: 40935b

He didn't give any information implying that he's seen you before; he didn't use your name, didn't mention the tests before you did, and his Grasp on the language is looser than I remember. He's either really nervous, controlled by a player, or an impostor. Play along- if either of the last two scenarios are the case, you'll be able to get the jump on him if he shows his hand.
>>
No. 578037 ID: 7f9410

This isn't Arthur. He called you Ker'ke before, not Mantis. Prepare for combat.
[Message to White: Something is off here. He may be an imposter.]
>>
No. 578040 ID: 65a774
File 140242742033.png - (17.08KB , 900x450 , 56.png )
578040

>[scan Lizard in armor]
[“The Star” haven’t yet been claimed!]
>[Message to White: Something is off here. He may be an imposter.]
[Message from White: Affirmative!]

>He didn't give any information implying that he's seen you before; he didn't use your name, didn't mention the tests before you did, and his Grasp on the language is looser than I remember.
Hmm… yes, something is wrong here, isn’t it?
>Play along.
Right.

>...Please tell me one of you guys has a mirrior.
:ArthurNUM: …why are you looking at me through a piece of reflective glass?
:DaithiNUM: Oh, I’m just… checking for something. Nothing to worry about. (…and I didn’t see anything off about him, either.)
>...Arthur, have you been hearing voices?
:ArthurNUM: Of course not. Only the mad hear voice in head, yes? Now, please leave be-
*Clir!*
:UnknownKAK: *Mumbled voice*
:CedricNUM: Did that come from the lab?
:ArthurNUM: Ah, just assistant, yes? Probably drop glass container, yes. Now, leave before I get your teacher, yes?

Insert As batman said, overplayed your part, yo!_
>>
No. 578042 ID: f28bf6

You VERY MUCH sound like you don't want us around armored man. In the 'I can't let you come in here because it's shady, thus revealing that I've done something wrong'.
Now what to do/can anyone think of a reason not to try and kick this sucker's tail down the hallway.
>>
No. 578044 ID: 3f0c1b

Well... shit. It looks right, even the scans do. But what he says sounds waaaay off sooooo... SHAPE STEALER BE VERY AFRAID!

Last time we met one of these we had a squad of soldiers with fire bolts and a golem on our side, I don't think we want to find out if you have enough firepower to take this thing out.
>>
No. 578045 ID: 7f9410

>>578040
Probably a shapeshifter. Draw your sword and ask him what it was that he kept calling you the first time you met.
>>
No. 578047 ID: 40935b

Okay, ask him if he still has time for that beer he mentioned yesterday. If he says yes, it's an impostor. If not, Just say there's been a misunderstanding and excuse yourself.
>>
No. 578049 ID: 9ddf68

I notice that here >>577090 Aurthur is labeled as the starS but here he's being labeled as the star as in singular not plural. not sure if that's important or just a spelling error,

Also we really shouldn't draw any weapons yet as although he's acting suspicious as fuck we really don't have any real reason to be hostile other then some gut feelings. Also ask if the only problem down here is that the grounds keeper poisoned the rats then what is he doing down here? I mean shouldn't this be something for the grounds keeper to fix as it not only his mess but also his job?
>>
No. 578051 ID: 37a55b

>>578040
I doubt anyone's getting tea and crumpets
...
Lets try faking him out again: Remind him about being invited for coffee and donuts.

Now I'm reminded of the shape shifter. It got more personal details critically wrong too
>>
No. 578057 ID: d0e0a2

...Oh, crap. Him scanning as "The Star" and the reflection checking out plus everything else is pointing to "shapeshifter."

Daithi, we encountered a shapeshifter in the Serath. It could fool our scans but failed the knowledge test. But when its cover was blown it went all tentacle-y and tried to stab our guy with a envenomed stinger tentacle. He was only saved by his armor, which unfortunately you don't have much of so try and stay back here. And it was taken down by the overkill of a squad of guards shooting fire crossbow bolts, powerful ice magic and an angry golem ripping it apart so we don't know how much punishment one can take.

Tell it you'll leave, then back up but don't turn your back on it. Once you're behind Cedric draw your sword and move up with him, cutting any tentacles that get near. The armor will constrict where it's tentacles can come out, so watch for them from the visor and the hands.

[Message to White: High confidence foe is shapeshifter. Deploy ranged holy if available. Otherwise move up, cover Daithi and apply a holy beatdown. Watch out for venom stinger tentacles.]
>>
No. 578058 ID: 65a774
File 140243380379.png - (17.65KB , 900x450 , 57.png )
578058

>[Message to White: High confidence foe is shapeshifter. Deploy ranged holy if available. Otherwise cover Daithi and watch out for venom stinger tentacles if it attacks.]


>SHAPE STEALER BE VERY AFRAID!
Err… a what?
>Last time we met one of these we had a squad of soldiers with fire bolts and a golem on our side, I don't think we want to find out if you have enough firepower to take this thing out.
…so, a tactical retreat, then? Charging in the wrong direction, so to speak?

>Okay, ask him if he still has time for that beer he mentioned yesterday.
:ArthurNUM: Right, the ale. Yes, I have time after test, yes? Nine, maybe?
>Tell it you'll leave and then back up but don't turn your back on it. Once you're behind Cedric draw your sword and move up with him, cutting any tentacles that get near.
:DaithiNUM: Nine sounds good, so see you then. Bye, Arthur.
:ArthurNUM: See you later, friend.
:ArthurNUM: Hello? Someone knocked, yes? Sorry I took time, needed to finish test, yes? Who is out there?
:DaithiNUM:
:CedricNUM:
:ArthurNUM:
:ArthurNUM: …hello? Who knocked on door?
:DaithiNUM: It’s me, open up.
:DaithiNUM: Wait, I di- AAAh!!
:ArthurNUM: Daithi? What happening out there? I’m opening door!

Insert Man of a thousand voices_
>>
No. 578059 ID: 76b151

Warn Arthur immediately. We don't have time to explain much so just yell out DEMON!

Close enough to the truth.
>>
No. 578060 ID: dbe554

Prepare weapon and get into a defensive stance!

Cut any tendrils that come close, generally these things are strong but not exactly skilled in physical arts beyond using their special skills, and generally they rely on the surprise!
>>
No. 578061 ID: 7f9410

>>578058
I think "Cultist!" would be most accurate here.

Jeez Daithi don't let Cedric handle everything. Help out.
>>
No. 578062 ID: 40935b

Alright, Cedric's the one with the fuckhuge glowing sword, so you're on support. Cut off the tentacles wielding the bone-sword-thing so Cedric can get a good hit in. You disarm him, Cedric sticks 'em in the gut, just like last time.
>>
No. 578068 ID: d0e0a2

Arthur knows enough about daemons that if you shout "DAEMONIC SHAPESHIFTER TENTACLE MONSTER OUTSIDE DOOR! DON'T OPEN IT!" at the top of your lungs as quickly and urgently as you can he'll know to keep the door shut until he's ready to fight it. Also continue to raise a ruckus by yelling and such. That might get the attention of the people upstairs and they'll come to investigate.

Draw your sword and help Cedric by intercepting any tentacles he doesn't. You also have more reach, so you can also try to cut the tentacles that bone sword is attached to off as well.

Okay, the shapeshifter knows that if one of you get away to warn everyone its mission is boned, but it also knows that if it gets too far away from the door then Arthur could escape, equally screwing its mission, or attack it from the other side. I think what you want to do here is back up and try to lead the monster far enough away from the door that Arthur won't be immediately set upon after opening it. Then you can shout to open the door and get out here in conjunction with something you would know to prove you're you, like something you told him in the chapel yesterday.

[Message to White: Back up. Try to lead it away from the door so Arthur can get out.]

[Scan shapeshifter] Maybe we'll get something interesting.
>>
No. 578072 ID: 65a774
File 140243825671.png - (17.58KB , 900x450 , 58.png )
578072

>[Scan shapeshifter]
[“The Star” haven’t yet been claimed!]

>Warn Arthur immediately. We don't have time to explain much so just yell out CULTIST!
:DaithiNUM: CULTIST!! UNDER ATTACK!!
:ArthurNUM: Wha- hold on!!
>Alright, Cedric's the one with the fuckhuge glowing sword, so you're on support. Cut off the tentacles wielding the bone-sword-thing so Cedric can get a good hit in.
It’s not a sword, it’s just a very sharp bone that thing grew! …and it’s just growing more! It’s pushing us back!

:ArthurNUM: Back, Demon!
:ShapeStealerRUST: Ssss!! Die!!
>>
No. 578073 ID: 65a774
File 140243827339.png - (17.68KB , 900x450 , 59.png )
578073

*Klorf!*
:ArthurNUM: There, dead.
:CedricNUM: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT THING!?
:ArthurNUM: Oh, that? That son and daughter of the lying one, feaster of memories and stealers of shapes. Now, what it do here? Also, what you do here? Basement of limits thanks to rat poison, yes? Also also, thank you for… how you say… “save my bacon”? That’s something you say, yes?
:DaithiNUM: Are you sure it’s dead!?
:ArthurNUM: I am certain, yes. The liars children is very fragile, yes? Built on lies. Look very… how you say… scary… um… intimidating, but very fragile, yes? Like glass? Crush brain and they are dead, yes?

Insert Mmm…. Bacon…_
>>
No. 578075 ID: 9ddf68

why is there a sword floating above you and cedric?

Also scan everyone in this room and also scan them for corruption levels. Oh and when we're not in danger of being killed horribly what where the test results?
>>
No. 578077 ID: 7f9410

>>578073
That supports our experience. Fully Corrupted cultists are durable, Shapestealers are not. Don't worry about it. Interesting though... if Shapestealers are the spawn of The Deceiver, then that daemon was active 3 months ago in the Serath kingdom alongside The Dark One and The Blood God.

Tell Arthur you were worried about him since he's over an hour overdue so you soooortof scared off the guard to get down here. Also that The Deceiver has been most likely falsifying your test results to keep its corruption secret so we figured it would try to compromise this test too. Speaking of which, what are the results?
>>
No. 578078 ID: 7f9410

>>578075
>sword
Looks like an art error to me, since it hasn't moved.
>>
No. 578080 ID: 40935b

[scan real!Arthur]

What a mess. You'd best get out of here before someone makes you clean it up as punishment for being somewhere off limits.

Try not to swoon over the brave crusader who saved your maidenly abdomen from a tentacle monster.
...Not the kind libby was talking about.
I hope.

>Basement off limits thanks to rat poison, yes?
Tell him that we head-voices are an awful combination of paranoid and determined, because saying 'yeah you were missing for like an hour and I was worried about you' is a little weird. Man, we make excellent scapegoats.

Anyway, are those test results in?
>>
No. 578092 ID: d0e0a2

...Hack the Shape Stealer corpse a few more times, just to make sure it's good and dead.

Tell Arthur that you had the notion that the rats were being driven away by a demonic presence, so you just got a bad feeling that he was in danger when you heard that he was an hour late. So you're down here pretty much 'cause your paranoia ran away with you. Not because you like Arthur or anything. Nope. Not that. No-sir-ee.

Say that you'd say the Shape Stealer was here to jump Arthur and take his place in order to falsify your test results, but that'd be a wee bit too egocentric so you can't really say why it's here.

Suggest that Arthur grab his stuff and your test results and we take this conversation upstairs where there isn't demon viscera all over. He's gonna want to report this incident ASAP anyway and we'd kinda like him there to head off the wrath of Victoria over what you and Cedric did to get down here. Shame you won't get to share tea and crumpets with Arthur when he gives you the results, though.

Ask Arthur what he knows about Shape Stealers on the way up. Can they suck out a person's memories and then use them to near-perfectly impersonate them? What did he do to repulse this one? How can they be detected? Would drawing blood give them away? Is there anything they can't impersonate? And all it takes to kill a Shape Stealer is to stab its brain-core? And the armor was fake and didn't offer any protection? Well, nice to know they're easy to put down.

Also exchange a few pairs of challenge-response phrases with Arthur and Cedric in a whisper. That'll be a means to quickly ID if they're being impersonated by a Shape Stealer that hasn't yet taken their memories.

So, Daithi, is your paranoia level turned all the way up to 11 by the fact that creatures like this are about, possibly taking the place of people you know? It does widen the pool of people who could have been spreading the Deceiver's corruption to you 'cause one Shape Shifter could have been many of the family staff over the years.
>>
No. 578176 ID: 65a774
File 140250537808.png - (20.45KB , 900x450 , 60.png )
578176

>why is there a sword floating above you and cedric?
There is no sword! That’s just a lie the man tells you to keep you down! Don’t believe their lies!
>Scan everyone in this room and also scan them for corruption levels.
[“The Star” is unclaimed. Unable to see corruption level on non-allied pawns!]
[“The Moon” belongs to player White! 7% corruption and falling!]
[“The Magician” Status: Paranoid, Scared, Horny, Longing. 8% corruption and falling!]

>Try not to swoon over the brave crusader who saved your maidenly abdomen from a tentacle monster.
I-I-W-WHAT!? Of course I’m n-not going to swoon over him! Geez… besides, I saved him, remember?
>So, Daithi, is your paranoia level turned all the way up to 11 by the fact that creatures like this are about, possibly taking the place of people you know?
…Oh crap, everyone is a shape shifter, aren’t they!? EVRYONE!!!

>...Hack the Shape Stealer corpse a few more times, just to make sure it's good and dead.
:ArthurNUM: Um… it’s very dead, yes?
:DaithiNUM: Just making sure… real sure…
>Tell Arthur that you had the notion that the rats were being driven away by a demonic presence, so you just got a bad feeling that he was in danger when you heard that he was an hour late.
:ArthurNUM: Ah, you very paranoid, Ker’ke, are you not? I shouldn’t speak against it, as it saved life of mine, yes? Also, understandable if what Nickolas said about your life is true.
>Speaking of which, what are the results?
:ArthurNUM: Oh, that’s why I was down there so long. It’s very weird, yes? I tried and tried but there is none, yes?
:DaithiNUM: …there isn’t anything?
:ArthurNUM: Yes, according to test you’re as clean as a… how you say… harp… um… wait… bass?
:CedricNUM: Fiddle.
:ArthurNUM: Fiddle, yes. You clean as a fiddle, Ker’ke. It’s odd, because Master Nickolas has never been wrong about that before, yes?

>What a mess. You'd best get out of here before someone makes you clean it up as punishment for being somewhere off limits.
:ArthurNUM: Oh, no, this is Inquisitor mess to clean. Very messy, yes? In fact, I need to report to them at once… you want to follow me upstairs, yes? Not stay in dark basement with ghosts?
:DaithiNUM: We can talk on the way, right?
>Ask Arthur what he knows about Shape Stealers on the way up.
:ArthurNUM: Ah, Children of the lying one. Used to be man, but her claws tore in their skin making them lies. Very gruesome, very bloody, yes?
>Can they suck out a person's memories and then use them to near-perfectly impersonate them?
:ArthurNUM: How you know?
:DaithiNUM: Err… lucky guess?
:ArthurNUM: Yes, they eat memories and learn them. They very good at impersonate people they have eaten too, yes?
>What did he do to repulse this one?
:ArthurNUM: Creatures of dark fear light, yes? They fear everything holy, yes? Holy symbol very helpful.
:DaithiNUM: Wait… but our religion doesn’t even have any gods or anything to-
:ArthurNUM: It’s the concept. Concepts are powerful, yes? How you say… you believe thing is holy therefore it is holy… if enough believe its holy, its hurt creatures of darkness, yes?
>How can they be detected?
:ArthurNUM: Find faults in their… how you say… wrong skin. Also, they do not like holy things… but not fool proof. Some of them can resist, yes?
>And all it takes to kill a Shape Stealer is to stab its brain-core? And the armor was fake and didn't offer any protection?
:ArthurNUM: Armor is real, yes? They cannot lie about things that doesn’t live, yes? Bones, teeth, clothes… they all live, yes? Hammer makes short work of armor, though. As for making dead… They very much like lizard or human, they have heart and brain and lung. Destroy these and they will be the dead, yes? They not survive without heart or lung or liver or stomach, yes?
>if Shapestealers are the spawn of The Deceiver, then that daemon was active 3 months ago in the Serath kingdom alongside The Dark One and The Blood God.
:ArthurNUM: The lying one have been active for… how you say… many grandparents. All three of the main three demon lords have been active long time, see? There is the lying one with her children of lies, who greedily steal memories to keep for the sake of keeping. There is the dark one who twists his children into one eyed husks, whose anger is unmatched. Then there’s the bloody one who let mortal hands do his work... his worshippers raise dead with special disease, made by mortal hands. It’s even theories that natural undead up in northlands is his work, yes? Very interesting, yes?

>Exchange a few pairs of challenge-response phrases with Arthur and Cedric in a whisper.
:CedricNUM: Like… the pear stalks in the midnight?
:ArthurNUM: Light… pear stalk in light, yes? They don’t like word light.
:DaithiNUM: Right… the pear stalks in the light. That would work…
:AtenaNUM: Hey, who’s down there? Daithi? What are you doing in the basement.
:DaithiNUM: Err… well…
:CedricNUM: Where’s Victoria?
:AtenaNUM: She’s with that priest comforting some lizard suffering from arachnophobia that had a panic attack. Don’t worry, the lizard is fine… Now, what are you doing down here? Isn’t this place off limits? …and did you wax your mandibles?
:DaithiNUM: Err…
:ArthurNUM: He did? Didn’t notice…
:AtenaNUM: Didn’t notice? Just look at them! They are gorgeous!
:DaithiNUM: Wait-
:AtenaNUM: Now, enough about your sex- err… nice looking mandibles and tell me- wait, is that blood? …and is that a freaking pile of… what is that!?
:ArthurNUM: Corpse of child of the lying one, yes? Demon spawn, yes?
:AtenaNUM: I… WHAT!?

Insert In the butt_
>>
No. 578179 ID: 410c24

>Demon spawn, yes?
>I… WHAT!?
Turns out the answer to "what is that" is also the answer to "what are you doing here, this is off limits". We had our suspicions there was something down here that shouldn't be.

>arachnophobia
...I feel like we owe her something to make up for that, later.
>>
No. 578182 ID: 40935b

>I… WHAT!?
Shape-shifter. Takes the form of other people, steals their memories. Be very paranoid.

Oh shit, one of the armored dummies is missing. Paranoia engage! Ask Atena about the investigation into the murders in the forest. If she checks out, Tell her one of the dummies was here before and isn't now. You may want to ask Arthur for every method of detection these things he knows.

Our scans say that you and Cedric are at 8 and 7 percent corruption and falling, respectively. Something is fudging the tests, and something is also affecting Cedric.

>Arachnophobia, panic attack
Ow, my conscience. In retrospect, we didn't have much of a choice; that shape-shifter was right outside Arthur's door- a few more seconds and it might have gotten the jump on him.
>>
No. 578184 ID: 3f0c1b

Arachnophobia? Ok we fucked up, no one should have to be afraid of spiders, they are awesome.

Well either way rescue mission complete Dathi, let's get out of here so you can prepare for the arrival of your mother.
>>
No. 578185 ID: ac14c0

>>578176
One of the sets of armor is missing.
>>
No. 578186 ID: d0e0a2

Tell her that you came down here because Arthur was more than an hour late returning from his lab and you got really worried something might have happened to him. Probably unreasonably worried, but sometimes you get excessively paranoid about things. Then tell her that when you got here you saw Arthur outside his lab door, but it wasn't Arthur but a shapestealer. It was most likely here to eat Arthur and his memories and take his place. For what reason you do not know. Maybe to interfere with the investigation into the murders and the cultists?

Oh, dammit. One of the armored mannequins is missing from when you came down here. Tell Arthur this right away because it might be another shapestealer. And keep a lookout for that suit of armor; The shapestealer likely ditched it to shift to another form.

Also ask him to check if captain Atena is one of them while asking her to repeat something she told you last night. It's highly unlikely she's one of them, but we want to be extra careful here. If she checks out then exchange the secret phrase with her.

Our scans show that the corruption level of you and Cedric spiked to 8% and 7% respectively, but it's falling off now. It's probably from being in proximity of the shapestealer, but I'm not totally sure. Ask Arthur if someone just being near a shapestealer would spread demonic corruption to them.

>…Oh crap, everyone is a shape shifter, aren’t they!? EVRYONE!!!
Okay, logically there can't be anywhere near that many since if there were the Deceiver has already won. And I suspect that the Deceiver can't just convert anyone to a shapestealer. Ask Arthur what it takes to make a shapestealer, and how often it fails to. Hmmm... He said the Deceiver tears a person's flesh with her claws to make a shapestealer. What if these murders of foreigners are actually failed attempts to make shapestealers. Or maybe it's shapestealers killing them and taking their memories. Would a shapestealer eating someone leave anything behind?

Also ask Arthur if a shapestealer could take the form of animals, and if so what limitations they have. If one could shift into the shape of whatever beast of burden is used in the Amun Empire it could hide in the stables or walk the streets without much notice. And an animal can't speak, so there's not nearly as much to give it away as with a person.

Step back and ask Cedric what's on his mind. He looks like he's thinking about something, or he just might be tired.

The tests saying you're clean is odd. You should tell Nickolas the test results the next time you see him and ask him what's up with that. Either the Deceiver has done a really good job of masking your corruption, or the scent of her on you Nick smelled is coming from elsewhere. ...Or Nick mis-smelled, you aren't tainted by the Deceiver and it's just mental illness, but I doubt that.

>He did? Didn’t notice…
Hah! The one person we were teasing you about waxing your mandibles for and he doesn't notice them! Heh. Nice that Atena noticed though.
>>
No. 578189 ID: ac14c0

>>578176
[scan Atena]
>>
No. 578191 ID: 65a774
File 140251435794.png - (13.21KB , 900x450 , 61.png )
578191

>[scan Atena]
[“The Chariot” is currently unclaimed!]

>Shape-shifter. Takes the form of other people, steals their memories. Be very paranoid.
:AtenaNUM: …wait, you mean those cultist actually was able to bring something back from the abyss?
:ArthurNUM: Err… not work like that, but yes in a road… err… way.
>Turns out the answer to "what is that" is also the answer to "what are you doing here, this is off limits". We had our suspicions there was something down here that shouldn't be.
:AtenaNUM: You knew about this… thing!?
:DaithiNUM: Well… not exactly. I knew something was wrong and Arthur here might have been in danger…
>One of the sets of armor is missing.
:AtenaNUM: Wait, are you sure!?
:DaithiNUM: Yes! The one behind those barrels are gone!
:CedricNUM: Wait… did you count them or something when we walked by?
:DaithiNUM: As a matter of fact, I did. I’m a bit paranoid, remember?
:AtenaNUM: Hmm… that’s not good at all, is it?

>Also ask him to check if captain Atena is one of them while asking her to repeat something she told you last night. It's highly unlikely she's one of them, but we want to be extra careful here.
:AtenaNUM: Something I said yesterday? Um… I said that you shouldn’t talk about what happen yesterday just outside town? Is tha- OW! DID YOU JUST FREAKING THROW A SMALL HOURGLASS ON A CHAIN AT ME!?
:ArthurNUM: She’s clean, yes?
>If she checks out then exchange the secret phrase with her.
:AtenaNUM: Pear stalking… right… gibberish, of course it would be gibberish. Don’t worry, I’ll remember it.

>Ask Arthur if someone just being near a shapestealer would spread demonic corruption to them.
:ArthurNUM: All children of dark spread it’s disease. Even the children yet born.
:DaithiNUM: …you mean cultists?
:ArthurNUM: Yes.
>Ask Arthur what it takes to make a shapestealer, and how often it fails to.
:ArthurNUM: Someone willing to get his flesh torn into bacon and sacrifices. Sacrifice needs to be pure too. Purer the better. Virgin in both bed and of the art in drawing blood. Warrior makes bad sacrifice.
:AtenaNUM: Well, I guess we’re safe then, eh? I mean, Arthur here has probably drawn a lot of blood in his day and you two handsome gents are probably real popular with the ladies, right?
:DaithiNUM: Err…
:ArthurNUM: I also have experience with bed… or floor… or table… or other people… woman, man, animal, many at the time too.
:AtenaNUM: …I didn’t need to- wait, animal? …right, I don’t really want to know what happens in Inquisitor school.
:ArthurNUM: Oh, no, happened before that. Before I met Master Nickolas.
>What if these murders of foreigners are actually failed attempts to make shapestealers.
:ArthurNUM: The one to turn needs to be willing. Also, they not do in middle of road; they do in cave or basement.
>Or maybe it's shapestealers killing them and taking their memories. Would a shapestealer eating someone leave anything behind?
:ArthurNUM: Shape Stealer eat memories by slurping. Use weird tube into brain. Leave hole but rest of body well, yes?
:AtenaNUM: They didn’t have any head wounds except some blunt trauma, so I think we can rule out Shape Shifters.
>Also ask Arthur if a shapestealer could take the form of animals, and if so what limitations they have.
:ArthurNUM: Shape stealer still human or lizard or mantis. Problem taking shape they don’t know. Mantis becoming human or human becoming mantis will have problem walking, yes? Now, I really need to get message to other Inquisitors. Need to get clean up.
:AtenaNUM: Huh… seems like I’m going to be left out of this one… “Official Inquisitor business” and all that… I don’t like it. Something is very wrong here… and I’m not just talking about the demon in the basement. Daithi, do you know something I don’t?
:DaithiNUM: …well…um…
:AtenaNUM: Either way, I’m probably going to need your help. I’ve seen these “Inquisitors” at work before and I don’t trust them… no, I think we might need to do some investigating on our own, don’t you agree?
:CedricNUM: The captain of the guard is asking us to help her break the law? Sweet!
:AtenaNUM: Not break it, simply bend it for the better…

>The one person we were teasing you about waxing your mandibles for and he doesn't notice them!
W-wha- It wasn’t for Arthur I did it! He’s not… I’m… stop it!
>Heh. Nice that Atena noticed though.
I know… she even called me gorgeous~ …err… I mean, she’s old and… um… shut up.

…_
>>
No. 578192 ID: 5f54f5

Cedric, do you have an obsession with high places?
Seriously, he always wants to stand up on stuff.
>>
No. 578193 ID: ac14c0

>>578191
>animal
That's... a bit offputting. I mean sure it's in the past before he was reformed or whatever, but...

So. Nickolas can see corruption on you, but the blood test comes back clean. Why is that, I wonder? We'll have to ask exactly what the blood test checks for, and see if we can figure out a form of corruption that would be missed by it. I'm not convinced that you're not corrupted. Oh also since you've killed somebody that means you're no longer good as a sacrifice, Daithi. So no worries there. Unless one kill isn't enough? I don't know, we'll have to ask about that too.

Well anyway ask the lovely lady how you can assist her. How much older is she than you, do you think?
>>
No. 578198 ID: 40935b

>W-wha- It wasn’t for Arthur I did it! He’s not… I’m… stop it!
>…err… I mean, she’s old and… um… shut up.
you sound like a flustered Lucrais.

>Well, I guess we’re safe then, eh?
You and Ced killed one cultist each that night, didn't you? That should mean you're safe.
Getting laid still can't hurt, though!

>Daithi, do you know something I don’t?
I guess it's your decision if you want to tell her about us, but she's liable to find out sooner or later. Telling her now is one of the more favorable scenarios.

>The captain of the guard is asking us to help her break the law?
Hell, we've escaped custody, what may amount to manslaughter in some districts, B&E and bribery, why stop now? We'll even have permission this time!
>>
No. 578200 ID: dbe554

Well if you do tell her about us, you may want to midge a few details.

Also we really need to bring your confidence up, plenty of people are enjoying you currently and you deny the attraction.

Also she might be old but she's got a nice tail base, not to mention she's plenty experienced am I right~?
>>
No. 578201 ID: ac14c0

Wait a minute, what if all this attention is The Deceiver warping their words like they did to his mom?
>>
No. 578203 ID: d0e0a2

You'd be more than happy to help the lovely Atena with her investigation, wouldn't you? But that'll have to wait a bit. Right now the most pressing matter is the shapestealer on the loose. We need to block up the basement exits ASAP to contain it for the Inquisitors to deal with if it's still down there, then determine if it fled upstairs before Atena showed up.

Ask Atena to go get Victora and Nickolas the priest over here so we can all tell them about what happened down there, warn them of the shapestealer that was in the suit of armor, and tell them the secret phrase. Victoria can then put out word to the cadets and faculty to be on the lookout for that kind of suit of armor, either being worn or discarded somewhere, and report it to her. Nickolas might be able to sniff out the shapestealer, but I'm not certain. It may be able to mask itself well enough he won't be able to sense it.

While Atena is getting them, you and Cedric can start blocking up this basement exit. A couple tables put on end in front of it with a couple of those stone plinths the potted plants are on holding the tables against the door should be good enough until a proper barricade can be placed. Once that's done and you've spoken to Victoria and Nickolas you two should split up and go to either of the other two basement exits with Victoria or Atena and ask the cadets guarding them if anyone came up, then bar the doors same as you did here.

From what Arthur said about what forms the shapestealers can take that this shapestealer is not of the mantis type since it would have needed to shift back into mantis form to move and if it had done that it would have had to discard the armor. That means it's a human or a lizard type shapestealer, so we can be more trusting of the mantis here just as long as we see them move; The shapestealer could still possibly impersonate a mantis if they stand still.

Once you're done running around the place and return here you can ask Atena what she's found so far in her investigations into the murders or the cultists.

>Oh, no, happened before that. Before I met Master Nickolas.
Ah, I think Arthur was one of Nickolas' captors that took his forgiveness and helped him escape. We'll have to remember to ask Arthur or Nickolas about that later.

What time is it? Your mother might be arriving any minute now, Daithi. How long does it take to get from your family's home to here?
>>
No. 578204 ID: 765802

Wait, didn't you want to clean your room before your mom shows up? And what is it with Cedric and high places. I mean come on, if your always going to be claiming shit at least get a bow or something so you can do something from up there.
>>
No. 578334 ID: 65a774
File 140258970795.png - (12.97KB , 900x450 , 62.png )
578334

>you sound like a flustered Lucrais.
W-wha- no, I don’t! I sound nothing like Lady L-Lucrais!
>Cedric, do you have an obsession with high places?
He just have a problem standing still, that’s all… he got to climb on things and stuff like that.
>Animal? That's... a bit offputting. I mean sure it's in the past before he was reformed or whatever, but...
…wait, did he really say animal!? As in… you know, with an animal!? That’s a bit… offputting, yes…
>Ah, I think Arthur was one of Nickolas' captors that took his forgiveness and helped him escape.
…so you mean he’s… by jove, he was a cultist wasn’t he! That’s why he knows so much about them!
>Oh also since you've killed somebody that means you're no longer good as a sacrifice, Daithi. So no worries there.
Well, that’s a bit of a relief, isn’t it?
>Getting laid still can't hurt, though!
What’s with you and me getting laid, anyway?

>What time is it?
Err… About ten to four.
>Your mother might be arriving any minute now, Daithi. How long does it take to get from your family's home to here?
Um… about forty five minutes to walk, twenty five if you take a carriage. I have no idea when they left so I can’t say if they’ll arrive any time soon.
>Wait, didn't you want to clean your room before your mom shows up?
…yeah, but… this is a bit more important than my personal pride, isn’t it?
>Hell, we've escaped custody, what may amount to manslaughter in some districts, B&E and bribery, why stop now? We'll even have permission this time!
…when you say it like that…
>You'd be more than happy to help the lovely Atena with her investigation, wouldn't you?
Of course! A true gentleman always helps a beautiful lady with lovely blue eyes in need!

>Anyway ask the lovely lady how you can assist her.
:AtenaNUM: You can start by telling me what you know about all this about demons, pretty boy.
>Well if you do tell her about us, you may want to midge a few details.
:AtenaNUM: So... they are after a rune of earth, that’s very powerful and if it gets in the wrong hands it can end the world?
:DaithiNUM: That’s about it, yes…
:AtenaNUM: …that’s a bit… over my head isn’t it? But… I can’t really… no one of important would listen to that kind of mad talk, would they? Hmm… and you said you had voices guiding you? Are you sure they aren’t… you know…
:DaithiNUM: They’ve already saved my life twice since yesterday, and Arthur did just test me about that kind of stuff and it came up negative.
:AtenaNUM: I was going to say divine. You know, gods.
:DaithiNUM: They haven’t forced me to pray to them or burning heretics or anything…
:AtenaNUM: …there’s more to being a god than that but… let’s talk about something else.
>Ask Atena to go get Victora and Nickolas the priest over here.
:AtenaNUM: Guards!
:GuardNUM: Yes, Ma’am!
:AtenaNUM: One of you get High Commander and the priest she’s with at once!
:GuardNUM: Right away, Ma’am!
:AtenaNUM: They will be here in a moment, so prepare whatever questions you have for them.
>warn them of the shapestealer that was in the suit of armor.
:CedricNUM: Wait… something is wrong with that… why didn’t it attack us? We were right next to it when the other one attack us, right? Why didn’t it flank us? We wouldn’t have stood a chance!
:DaithiNUM: Hmmm… you’re right… maybe it’s alliances are elsewhere… maybe it wasn’t a shape stealer at all in that armor!
:CedricNUM: Or you just miscounted.
>start blocking up this basement exit.
:AtenaNUM: Or we can just lock it with the key? A lot easier, don’t you think?
>you two should split up and go to either of the other two basement exits with Victoria or Atena and ask the cadets guarding them if anyone came up, then bar the doors same as you did here.
:AtenaNUM: Men, I need you to move out and guard every entrance to the basement at once! You there, take this key, lock all the doors to the basement and then come back here and guard this entrance!
:GuardNUM: As you command!
:AtenaNUM: There, that would keep us safe for now.

>How much older is she than you, do you think?
Um… well, it’s hard to say… I’m going to say she’s about thirty, so about ten years?
>she might be old but she's got a nice tail base, not to mention she's plenty experienced am I right~?
She has? Hmm… yeah… she does have a real nice bum, doesn’t she… mmm… to bad that cloak of hers is covering it up…
>Also we really need to bring your confidence up, plenty of people are enjoying you currently and you deny the attraction.
…actually, maybe you’re right. I should stop beating myself up over it! Maybe I am a stu-
>Wait a minute, what if all this attention is The Deceiver warping their words like they did to his mom?
…oh… oh right… by Jove, your right… how… h-how should I have been so stupid!? Of course it’s warping it! Probably most of the nice things people say to me are l-lies! I… I can’t believe… I actually believed it for a s-second… stupid! STUPID!
:AtenaNUM: …Are you alright there, Dai? You seem… a bit down.
:DaithiNUM: I-I’m f-fi-
:AtenaNUM: No, you’re not. One second you’re standing tall and proud, the other you’re sacking together and looking real gloomy… so, what’s wrong? Let me help, please.
:DaithiNUM: (ALL LIES!!)

Insert This insert is a lie… it’s true, it is!
>>
No. 578338 ID: 5f54f5

*blinks*
This is getting either comical or irritating. I figure if this 'deciver' can trick us both at once we're gonna end up walking into her schemes anyhow, you guys DO recall the 'Wraith of doomsday' right?
Basically, wraith that tried to trick us into killing ourselves as a safety precaution on the grounds of 'we're being manipulated to do as the bad guys want.'
Urgh, So very sick of illusions and mind-games!
>>
No. 578343 ID: ac14c0

>>578334
Aw hell. Calm down Daithi, you can confirm if it's true or not, just ask her if she thinks you're cute, or ask Cedric if people have really been checking out your ass the past two days. For all we know The Deceiver has been warping words to make it seem like people didn't find you attractive before now, and only our presence is allowing the truth to surface. Or maybe The Deceiver has been focusing on making your mom look like she hates you, and isn't bothering with romantic confusion.
>>
No. 578346 ID: d0e0a2

Oh, Daithi... This is why we need to build your sense of confidence and self-worth up. You're so willing to wholly believe as true a far outside possibility without any evidence to back it as long as it supports your negative self-view, yet so easily discard the much more likely possibility that the nice things people have told you about yourself are honest and real. They really do like you, Daithi, but the warped image of yourself you've internalized is getting in the way of you seeing that.

How about you think about this logically for a second: Why would The Deceiver twist peoples' words to tell you good things about yourself? As far as we know your value to her is as a virgin sacrifice or a potential cultist recruit, both of which are not supported by such actions but instead by doing the opposite in order to keep you isolated from others. It doesn't benefit her to warp peoples words to you so they're positive.

And if you need more evidence that the positive things you've heard and we've seen and heard are not just you hallucinating, then you can take Cedric aside in a moment and ask him if the interest and nice things Atena said about you when he was around were real. Then ask that White send a message to us with the answer so there's no way his words could be twisted and we'll tell you what it is.

Now, I think you should tell Atena something of the truth about what turned your mood so sharply. Tell her that the notion that The Deceiver could have warped and twisted anything that you've heard or seen everyone you've ever met do. The thought that most all the good things you've heard people say about you or to you could have lies hit you kinda hard.

Oh, and Atena is totally checking out your abdomen right now. As much as you deny it, you are a handsome mantis guy. Seriously, she feels you are so much that she's been verbally tripping over it every time you're around.

>>578338
Actually, the way the wraith was trying to trick us into killing ourselves was by faking that we were about to succumb to daemonic corruption so that we'd think it'd be better for everyone if we did that before we turned to the enemy's side. That's quite a bit cruder than it weaving illusions to make us think we were being manipulated by our foes from the start.
>>
No. 578347 ID: 40935b

>I sound nothing like Lady L-Lucrais!
You're stammering, alternating between insulting and crushing on people, and you're denying your feelings based on other, outside factors.
>…there’s more to being a god than that
Well all we can do is talk people's heads off, so I doubt that's the case.

>Probably most of the nice things people say to me are l-lies! ALL LIES!
Okay, Dai, do you even need other people's approval? Like, would it change anything? You're a good student, brilliant tactician, and you can drop cultists like a windwalker- and you don't have to take our word for it, you know that it's true. The number of bullies or friends that mock or encourage you doesn't change who you are or what you've done.

Also, warping words to be encouraging is contrary to everything we know about the deceiver. None of these daemons are terribly subtle; the deceiver was literally writing spooky messages on the wall in big fuckoff red letters. Plus, you haven't heard other voices or seen that red writing since we've gotten here, right?

If you're not comfortable with telling Atena anything, just tell her you had one of those dawning moments of horrible realization. Explain the situation and password to Victoria and Nicolas when they show up; Victoria might be mad because you went into an off-limits area, but you saved someone's life so she can't complain too hard. Then, figure out the first step in this investigation.

>What’s with you and me getting laid, anyway?
Because lack of pussy is the root fucking cause of all global instability.
>>
No. 578348 ID: 9ddf68

...kid, quick question, have you taken your meds today? Because if so then all you heard is the real deal. Now I now you are a bit on the paranoid side but come on kid, if you honestly believe that every good thing in your life was faked then I will slap the shit out of you myself. Have you ever been slapped by a teal invisible squid before?
>>
No. 578354 ID: d0e0a2

When Nickolas gets here tell him your test results and ask him what other possible sources of the scent of The Deceiver on you are there. Could you have picked it up from someone you were near, or perhaps an item you were carrying or were near was the source?

Make sure to fill both him and Victoria in on what happened in the basement and about the missing armor mannequin. And it'd be better in the long run if you tell Victoria about us, so pull out your mirror and show her us as you tell her what you told Atena about us and our mission.

Ask Atena what she and Victoria were discussing earlier.

And I dunno what or who that was in the suit of armor, but whatever or whoever it was could fool our scan because we scanned all the mannequins there and none of them registered as anything other than what they appeared.

There is the small possibility that you hallucinated the armored mannequin, but that doesn't fit with the way you've hallucinated before; It's just too subtle.
>>
No. 578363 ID: 65a774
File 140260749799.png - (13.29KB , 900x450 , 63.png )
578363

>Because lack of pussy is the root fucking cause of all global instability.
That’s a bit… wait… doesn’t that imply all gay guys are instable? Or do they just need to have a cat to stabilize themselves? Hmm…
>Well all we can do is talk people's heads off, so I doubt that's the case.
Yeah, you’re pretty much the opposite of gods, aren’t you?
>...kid, quick question, have you taken your meds today? Because if so then all you heard is the real deal.
Err… I guess you’re right about that… the meds usually helps, don’t they?
>Now I now you are a bit on the paranoid side but come on kid, if you honestly believe that every good thing in your life was faked then I will slap the shit out of you myself. Have you ever been slapped by a teal invisible squid before?
…that something I never even imagined hearing in my life…

>Okay, Dai, do you even need other people's approval? Like, would it change anything?
…It would make me feel better.
>You're a good student, brilliant tactician, and you can drop cultists like a windwalker- and you don't have to take our word for it, you know that it's true.
I… thanks… see, your approval fills me with a bit of joy…
>How about you think about this logically for a second: Why would The Deceiver twist peoples' words to tell you good things about yourself?
…that is odd, yes…

>Aw hell. Calm down Daithi, you can confirm if it's true or not, just ask her if she thinks you're cute, or ask Cedric if people have really been checking out your ass the past two days.
:DaithiNUM: Psst! Hey, Cedric… err… have you notice people flirting a lot with me recently?
:CedricNUM: Are you kidding? People are always hitting on you but you just brush it off. I mean, the captain here was just staring quite intensely at your abdomen a moment ago.
:AtenaNUM: Wha- I DID N-NOT!
:DaithiNUM: Dammit Ced… at least try to whisper…
>Now, I think you should tell Atena something of the truth about what turned your mood so sharply.
:AtenaNUM: …sounds like you got a bad case of low confidence. Hmm… you know, if you let me, I can try helping you with that. What I’ve seen of you so far is that you’re quite the person, really.
:DaithiNUM: T-thanks…

:VictoriaNUM: Alright, what in Hel’s domain is going on here!? Arthur just ran past me and said something about you saving him from a demon!?
:DaithiNUM: Err… well, you see…
>Explain the situation and password to Victoria and Nicolas when they show up.
:VictoriaNUM: So, we got demons running around the school!? Son of a- how can this get any worse!?
:NickolasNUM: Pear… stalk… light… hmm… maybe we should close the school down?
:AtenaNUM: No, if I know the inquisition, they will order you to act as nothing happened, or be branded traitors… literally branded… with iron.
>When Nickolas gets here tell him your test results and ask him what other possible sources of the scent of The Deceiver on you are there.
:NickolasNUM: You know… I can hear you fine…
:VictoriaNUM: Err… aren’t you deaf?
:NickolasNUM: … …not you! Either way, that’s odd… that’s never happened before… hmm…
:DaithiNUM: Maybe it’s from something else? Some artifact or person?
:NickolasNUM: … … …no, it doesn’t work like that… hmm… I have no idea why the test didn’t work? Maybe my nose isn’t like it used to be?
:VictoriaNUM: …what is going on?
>it'd be better in the long run if you tell Victoria about us, so pull out your mirror and show her us as you tell her what you told Atena about us and our mission.
:VictoriaNUM: So… we’re in the middle of a freaking demon evasion and our only hope is finding some stone somewhere?
:DaithiNUM: Probably, yes…
:VictoriaNUM: …so, where is it!? Where are we even supposed to look?
:DaithiNUM: Well, it existed in the ancient times so…
:AtenaNUM: But we don’t really have a lot of big ruins out here… not like they do across the great sea…
>Ask Atena what she and Victoria were discussing earlier.
:AtenaNUM: Oh, a student, a female mantis, has gone missing… let’s hope it doesn’t turn up to be connected with this, right?

>Then, figure out the first step in this investigation.
:VictoriaNUM: You said we need to find that stone, right? And the stone is in some ancient ruin… so where do we find some ancient ruins?
:NickolasNUM: Hmm… as for the demons… they must have a coven nearby. If we kill the cultist there then we’ll probably remove the biggest threat we’ll face.
:AtenaNUM: So… find cultist and ruins… hmm… and what is their motive? They want the stone, right?
:DaithiNUm: They probably wanted to take out Arthur as he’s a large threat to them.
:AtenaNUM: Hmm… but he’s only stationed here at the school…

Insert She got stones, alright_
>>
No. 578364 ID: 9ddf68

[scan Victoria]

So does that mean they cultist might be based around the school or maybe they're just planning something involving the school and need to get rid of any potential threats to make things run smother.

Also is there a way to detect corruption besides us? I mean if so then it would make it easier to find shape stealers.
>>
No. 578365 ID: dbe554

Typically if the cultists are after the same thing, they should likely have knowledge of some general location it could be.

Infact the location of the Rune of Fire wasn't in ruins, but underneath a major city of the Serathi..Which holds some very bad memories for us right now.

Considering what we saw of the Rune of Fire's chambers, you all might be too weak currently to take it on, and we wouldn't want to lose you to its tests, it might be best to take on the cultists to allow yourselves some time, and gain knowledge and strength from it.
>>
No. 578374 ID: 4f0da9

>>578363
A school full of mentally and physically capable individuals, many of which have well connected families. If the Deceiver's servants infiltrate the school they could undermine every generation of officers in the future. Long-term the entire command structure in the Empire could end up loyal to the Deceiver.

In Short: School is important!
>>
No. 578375 ID: 40935b

>doesn't that imply all gay guys are instable?
Nah, it's just a saying. People not getting laid causes instability. If people were getting laid, would they be tempted by the cultists' promises of orgies and shit? Hell no. No cultists means no manpower for the daemons to exploit, less conduits for corruption to spread, no headvoices belittling you, no great generals getting locked up in dungeons for years on end, and no more god-damn shapeshifters.

On that note, dealing with the cultists sounds like a good idea, even if we just find them and sic the inquisition on them. You said that the murders in the forest started up north, moving south, right? Could you find a map and mark out the locations of the murders? As for looking for the stone, it should be around here somewhere if Libby is a bound daemon. perhaps the cultists know something we don't.

I think the test for corruption is faulty or being altered somehow; both our scans and Nickolas indicate corruption, while the tests don't.

>a student, a female mantis, has gone missing… let’s hope it doesn’t turn up to be connected with this, right?
That sounds a lot like when Nickolas said 'the chances that it’s something mundane are a lot bigger, isn’t it?' and then you were attacked by a shapeshifter.
>>
No. 578383 ID: ac14c0

>>578363
What if the school is on top of the vault? It's possible that the surface ruins were torn down and the school built in its place, or the building has been constantly renovated and turned into this over the ages. That would explain the shapeshifter in the basement- the Vault is there, and The Deceiver is trying to find it. That could also explain the moving suit of armor- that could be one of its guardians instead of a cultist. That would ALSO explain why the Mantis in Green is here.

So, in other words, we should probably search the basement more thoroughly. We've found one vault before, maybe this one has a similar entrance? Heck, maybe Nickolas can sense the Mantis in Green's demon body once we're close.
>>
No. 578389 ID: d0e0a2

Uh, guys, I think I see something poking its way out from between the basement doors; Something that might be a tentacle. Look and if it is call it out and get everyone back. Dai, grab Atena and pull her back. Nick, do the same for Victoria.
>>
No. 578390 ID: ac14c0

>>578389
That looks exactly like the very end of Daithi's scabbard. Probably an art error.
>>
No. 578415 ID: d0e0a2

I think we'd be getting a bit ahead of ourselves if we focus on looking for the Rune Vault right away. Even if we found it we'd still need the eight keystones and the Lesser Elemental Rune to open it. Without those finding the Vault would be pointless, so starting to locate and secure them should be done first. ...Unfortunately, we have even less idea of where they are in Amun than the Vault...

Finding and taking out the cultist coven is a good idea, but don't have any decent leads on it, do we? Other than it'll be somewhere hidden away from prying eyes and that is a lot of places in and near the city. Maybe the armor the shape stealer was wearing is a clue. Where could it have gotten a suit of Inquisitor armor? That is, if it's not a fake one.

Tracking down what happened to the missing female mantis cadet would be a good idea. I'd bet good money her going missing is related to the cultists or the shape stealer in some way, and even if it isn't finding out what happened to her would rule out the connection. Ask Victoria when and where the cadet was last seen, who saw her last and anything else she knows that she thinks might be relevant to the disappearance.

But right now the most time-sensitive and actionable course is to search the basement before the Inquisition arrives to seal it off and toss it. Otherwise any evidence from there is going to vanish into the Office of the Inquisition, never to be seen again by us. Just make sure to bring bright lights and mirrors for everyone and tell the guards to not let anyone up that isn't in your group. Oh, and don't for the keys to all the doors down there.

I suspect that if The Deceiver's cultists have set their sights on the Commander Academy, either 'cause it's connected to the Vault somehow or for some other reason, then removing Arthur and installing an impostor would be one of their first steps to securing it. With his expertise and knowledge of daemons and The Deceiver and her cultists he might have spotted them at work here and called the Inquisition in. Also, if the Inquisition's attention started to turn to the Academy then fake-Arthur could have deflected their initial suspicions by reporting that things are alright. However, right now this is just speculation on my part. We'll need more evidence before we'll be able to say with reasonable certainty why they went after Arthur.

Nick, if you don't mind me asking, was Arthur one of your captors that you forgave who then helped you escape or did you meet him later on? Either way I'd imagine it took some major feats to get him into the Inquisitor school. Just how much of an effort was it to pull that off? ...Also, we're really sorry for what we did to the cadet guarding the door. Even though doing so saved Arthur's life it doesn't excuse such actions.

I think we might be wrong in thinking that the presence in Stone Heaven of one possessed by The Woman in Green means the Vault is under the city or somewhere nearby. The Human in Green as the Magus mentioned that when he was a student he lived in the Brass City, across the Great Sea from the Serath, far from the Vault there. (Ref: >>/questarch/557901) If the Magus was telling the truth about that then those possessed by the Vault guardians can roam very far from their Vaults.

There's also something I remember from Varius' lab that's very likely about the Vault locations. He had a note with "one in the mountains, one in the jungle, one in the old city of brass, one in endless fields" written on it. (Ref: >>/questarch/562878) The "one in the mountains" would be the Vault in the tallest Pillar of the Heavens. "One in the jungle" is referring to the Serath of the Ancient Age, when it was a jungle. "The old city of brass" I figure is the Brass City the Magus lived as a student. That leaves "one in endless fields," which I presume was Amun in the Ancient Age. And going by the Serath returning to the jungle it was in the Ancient Age when the Rune there was restored and that White said that recovering the corrupted Rune of Earth would make the eastern lands fertile farmland, I figure that in the Ancient Age those lands were the "endless fields." If true then that'd mean the Vault is probably somewhere under those lands.

We should talk to somebody who knows about Amun in the Ancient Age and where the known ruins from that time are soon; A historian or archaeologist or suchlike. Now where in Stone Heaven would academics like that be? Oh! We can ask Libby! She might know.

Also, there's also something important y'all should know about: The first new "god" to enter this world since the Ancient Age is due to arrive at six 'o clock, probably at the landmark outside the city under the center of Aerathin's Belt. It's likely whichever side in this fight can get it on their side will have a significant advantage, so... Yeah. Rather a big deal, that. We should probably be near there when it touches down.

>>578390
Ah, that is does. Still, better to call it out just in case it wasn't.
>>
No. 578431 ID: ac14c0

Oh right, the keystones. Well, even if we don't have the keystones to open the vault, we should still secure it. Heck, there might be a keystone in the basement the shapestealer was trying to get.
>>
No. 578444 ID: 410c24

>What’s with you and me getting laid, anyway?
Sorry, one track mind. Waaaay back when, the first person we ever popped into the head of kind of had an impact. When you've worked with someone who was a literal sex-goddess for a while, it skews your perspective.

...also, we're hopeless matchmakers. We like getting people together.

>no one of important would listen to that kind of mad talk, would they?
Nope. Clever lizard.

>I was going to say divine. You know, gods.
We've known gods, but we're not ourselves.
>>
No. 578455 ID: 65a774
File 140267967763.png - (13.60KB , 900x450 , 64.png )
578455

>[Scan Victoria]
[“The Hermit” is currently unclaimed!]

>Nick, if you don't mind me asking, was Arthur one of your captors that you forgave who then helped you escape or did you meet him later on?
:NickolasNUM: (…he was… lost, yes. There is a reason why he knows so much about the deceiver.)
>Is there a way to detect corruption besides us? I mean if so then it would make it easier to find shape stealers.
:NickolasNUM: (There is the test Arthur can make, but it takes time and doesn’t seem to be foolproof. Other than that… hmm… touch them with a holy symbol or bathe them in strong light. It isn’t foolproof, but it’s the best way we have.)
>Libby is a bound daemon.
:NickolasNUM: (…She’s a what!?)
>Considering what we saw of the Rune of Fire's chambers, you all might be too weak currently to take it on, and we wouldn't want to lose you to its tests, it might be best to take on the cultists to allow yourselves some time, and gain knowledge and strength from it.
:DaithiNUM: (So you’re telling us to grind some exp for levels? Maybe get a +4 sword of bloodstone on the way? …damn, I’m a dork, aren’t I?)

>A school full of mentally and physically capable individuals, many of which have well connected families. If the Deceiver's servants infiltrate the school they could undermine every generation of officers in the future.
:AtenaNUM: You’re right, this would be a great target for them. It’s just… it’s rather far into the empire. It would be rather risky trying to just get here…
>What if the school is on top of the vault? It's possible that the surface ruins were torn down and the school built in its place.
:VictoriaNUM: Well, there are some very old catacombs under the basement, but I don’t think you can get down there anymore. It’s all bricked up and stuff. Hmm… I know there’s supposed to be a way down there, but I don’t know about it personally…
>I think we'd be getting a bit ahead of ourselves if we focus on looking for the Rune Vault right away. Even if we found it we'd still need the eight keystones and the Lesser Elemental Rune to open it.
:VictoriaNUM: Eight keys? Figures. Of course they wouldn’t leave something as important as that rune thingy in the open. So, how do we find them?
:DaithiNUM: I have no idea.

>Finding and taking out the cultist coven is a good idea, but don't have any decent leads on it, do we?
:AtenaNUM: Hmm… then we need to find leads, don’t we? Maybe if we take everything we already know we can find something to follow.
>You said that the murders in the forest started up north, moving south, right? Could you find a map and mark out the locations of the murders?
:AtenaNUM: They are following a well-used trade route, with the murders originating from a city that’s almost right next to the top of the untamed lands. So it’s a given they came from there in the beginning, as that place is crawling with barbarians and other lawless people.
>Maybe the armor the shape stealer was wearing is a clue. Where could it have gotten a suit of Inquisitor armor? That is, if it's not a fake one.
:AtenaNUM: I doubt they would get a real one…
:VictoriaNUM: That means they probably have access to a forge… and there aren’t that many forges here that can craft a full set of plate armor. That’s a start.
:AtenaNUM: So… the coven is in the city, maybe? I didn’t actually consider that…
>Tracking down what happened to the missing female mantis cadet would be a good idea. Ask Victoria when and where the cadet was last seen, who saw her last and anything else she knows that she thinks might be relevant to the disappearance.
:VictoriaNUM: She went out with her friends on a bit of nightly fun. Her friends made it back drunk, she did not. They have no idea where they actually lost her.
:AtenaNUM: Actually, I’ve spoken to them, I they seem to agree the last time they can remember seeing her was when they were at a pub in the merchant quarter called “The Crippled Ankwark”. I was going to send someone there to check on it.

>The rune is described as "one in endless fields," which I presume was Amun in the Ancient Age.
:VictoriaNUM: I’m pretty sure the Amun empire has always been a lot of forest and mountains.
>White said that recovering the corrupted Rune of Earth would make the eastern lands fertile farmland.
:VictoriaNUM: Wait… do you mean the untamed lands?
:AtenaNUM: But… that’s place is just a desolated wasteland… but… if it was fertile…
:DaithiNUM: Just image a lot of grass and a few trees and boom! Large sprawling fields!
:AtenaNUM: Endless fields! It’s somewhere in the Untamed lands!
:VictoriaNUM: But those lands are about a hundred miles from top to bottom! How are we supposed to find a stone there!?
>We should talk to somebody who knows about Amun in the Ancient Age and where the known ruins from that time are soon; A historian or archaeologist or suchlike.
:AtenaNUM: We don’t really have a lot of historians here… at least, not for things before the empire.
:VictoriaNUM: Actually, I did have this noble women here about half a year ago that wanted to check out those catacombs I was talking about. That’s how I know they actually exist. She was really interested in old architecture like that. I can’t remember her name though… and she was just like the rest of the nobles, spoiled and stuck up so I don’t even know if she would be willing to help if we found her.
>Also, there's also something important y'all should know about: The first new "god" to enter this world since the Ancient Age is due to arrive at six 'o clock, probably at the landmark outside the city under the center of Aerathin's Belt.
:VictoriaNUM: Wait… a god!? As in god god!? All powerful!?
:AtenaNUM: Err… no way there’s actually a god, right? It’s just… um… some strong mage or something, right?

>But right now the most time-sensitive and actionable course is to search the basement before the Inquisition arrives to seal it off and toss it.
:DaithiNUM: Yes, the time for talk is over! Time for some action! Right, Cedric… err… Cedric?
:AtenaNUM: He wandered off when we started talking.
:VictoriaNUM: And Nick’s been rather quiet.
:NickolasNUM: … …I’ve just been thinking about my time with the librarian… because of reasons. Now, don’t we have a basement to look into?
>Heck, there might be a keystone in the basement the shapestealer was trying to get.
:DaithiNUM: So… I was thinking, maybe we-
:UnknownKAK: Lord Daithi? You got guests waiting for you in your dorm.
:DaithiNUM: Son of a-

Insert Of course!_
>>
No. 578458 ID: 410c24

>(…She’s a what!?)
>I’ve just been thinking about my time with the librarian… because of reasons
As we explained earlier to Daithi, not all demons are terrible crazy evil things. They're just a different class of beings, with an alien perspective, and different powers and requirements for survival. And yes, well some of them are very unpleasant beings, there are those that are not. They're people, of a kind, and not all of them bad.

>So you’re telling us to grind some exp for levels? Maybe get a +4 sword of bloodstone on the way?
...would it amuse you to know that levels are actually a real thing?

[check and display level and experience to our king]

Don't worry though, you're in good company here, nerd.

>Err… no way there’s actually a god, right? It’s just… um… some strong mage or something, right?
You guys have no idea how refreshing it is to hear ordinary people reluctant to take gods at face value.

>Son of a-
Yes, you're the son of the people come to see you. Get in there and meet your filial duty.

Sorry we didn't get you back in time to hide your porn and/or drugs.
>>
No. 578463 ID: 40935b

>So you’re telling us to grind some exp for levels?
>I’m a dork, aren’t I?
Yes.

So the cultists have a forge of reasonable size, may be near this 'crippled Ankwark' place, and are looking for a stone in the untamed lands. We'll need more investigation, but that narrows it down somewhat.

I guess this means we split up. Dai, don't keep your mother waiting. Nicolas, you investigate the basement with the others. We should probably follow Nickolas; I think Daithi ought to spend some time with his mother without us talking his head off. We'll be more helpful in the investigation, too.
>>
No. 578467 ID: ac14c0

>>578455
Ah well. It's okay, we made good progress in the planning stage, and Victoria can investigate the tavern for now, I think. Let's go talk to your parents. In fact, it might be a good idea for us to switch to your mother so that we can confirm it is in fact her there, and warn her about the shapestealers.

Hmm. Nickolas, who did you want to go with? We could just drop you as a pawn for now and pick up Atena instead, to follow the tavern lead. I mean, I'm not sure how much you and Thyna want to wander around following us as we do who knows what and get into trouble. How devout a pacifist are you, exactly? If cultists attacked while you were there, would you join the battle? Would you be able to defend yourself? We can only unclaim one person a day though.
>>
No. 578472 ID: dbe554

Considering all this is a game from the gods, yes leveling up does sound rather perfect for it.
>>
No. 578475 ID: ac14c0

Oh and Nickolas, the one thing Libby desires most is to have genuine feelings for another. She seems to have trouble with emotions in general.
>>
No. 578480 ID: d0e0a2

Alright, that should Ceana and Cathal. Daithi, while you go up we'll jump to Ceana to be totally sure that's actually who is waiting for you. Then, if you want us to, we'll stick around to check that what you're hearing is what she actually said. But we'll understand if you two want to have a private talk without us hovering about and blathering.

[Message to White: Victoria, Atena, Nickolas and Thyna are going to search the basement. Could you get Cedric over here to go with them? Also, we've found out that the catacombs under the Academy might have something to do with the Rune Vault in some way. Thought you'd want to check that out.] White should keep an eye on things and if something does go wrong she'll message us.

Nick, we should have told you this earlier, but here's the basics on what we've found out so far about daemons and what they're doing in this world: [Insert primer on daemons from >>576896] You should also know that The Woman in Green can only possess the body of someone who is already died; She didn't seize Libby.

From what we've seen and heard so far, it appears that The Woman in Green is trying to learn more about mortals, mortal emotions and mortal society through Libby. She's rather interested in mortals and wants to figure out what makes you tick and how to act like you. So far she's read a lot, but she's far from really understanding you guys.

This noble woman who showed an interest in the catacombs, would she have happened to be a mantis? Perhaps by the name of Baideal or Lucrais?

>That means they probably have access to a forge… and there aren’t that many forges here that can craft a full set of plate armor. That’s a start.
Or could they have stolen a set of plate armor that is close enough in design to the Inquisition's armor that it could be modified to look the same using more common tools and facilities? If so then also checking for reports of the theft of a set of plate armor or the parts of a set of plate armor would be prudent.

>Err… no way there’s actually a god, right? It’s just… um… some strong mage or something, right?
Uh, well, we're not sure. We think it'll be someone like us, except a singular person, but we don't know what powers, if any, it'll bring down here, or if, unlike us, it'll get its own body. It's a big unknown, and that's what's got us worried.
>>
No. 578485 ID: 65a774
File 140268894168.png - (16.04KB , 900x450 , 65.png )
578485

>[Message to White: Victoria, Atena, Nickolas and Thyna are going to search the basement. Could you get Cedric over here to go with them? Also, we've found out that the catacombs under the Academy might have something to do with the Rune Vault in some way. Thought you'd want to check that out.]
[Message from White: On our way.]

>[Check and display level and experience to our king]
[“The Magician” is currently level 2!]
:DaithiNUM: (Neat… wait, level 2? Man, I thought I would be higher than that…)
>Considering all this is a game from the gods, yes leveling up does sound rather perfect for it.
:DaithiNUM: Ugh, I hate when you use the word game like that. There’s no justification to use people as pieces in a game…
>Not all demons are terrible crazy evil things. They're just a different class of beings, with an alien perspective, and different powers and requirements for survival.
:NickolasNUM: (Hmm… I have to trust you on that for now… you did save Arthur’s life after all.)
>From what we've seen and heard so far, it appears that The Woman in Green is trying to learn more about mortals, mortal emotions and mortal society through Libby. She's rather interested in mortals and wants to figure out what makes you tick and how to act like you.
:NickolasNUM: (Really? That’s interesting… it does explain her weird behavior if anything.)
>How devout a pacifist are you, exactly? If cultists attacked while you were there, would you join the battle?
:NickolasNUM: (My creed doesn’t allow me to lift a sword in anger… nor do my bad leg and back allow it either. Thyna on the other hand is quite an adapt killer… of course, I’ve tried to make sure she us some less lethal methods.)

>Or could they have stolen a set of plate armor that is close enough in design to the Inquisition's armor that it could be modified to look the same using more common tools and facilities? If so then also checking for reports of the theft of a set of plate armor or the parts of a set of plate armor would be prudent.
:AtenaNUM: I’ll look into that option too.
>Dai, don't keep your mother waiting. Nicolas, you investigate the basement with the others.
:DaithiNUM: Right, I need to see my mother, so you guys got the basement.
:AtenaNUM: I’ll send some guards over to that pub to ask about our missing girl while we’re at it.

>Yes, you're the son of the people come to see you. Get in there and meet your filial duty.
:DaithiNUM: Mother, I- Lucrais!? W-what are you doing here!?
:LucraisNUM: Hmm? Oh, I’m not allowed to visit my dead beat husband to be now, am I? Hmmf, typical plebian courtesy, not even greeting a lady properly.
:DaithiNUM: I’m sorry… it’s just… you kind of surprised me.
:LucraisNUM: And here you invite me over and I surprise you!? Honestly, I’m not surprised you would forget.
:DaithiNUM: Err… I invited you?
:LucraisNUM: Yesterday? You told me you wanted to play a game of Warstorm? I brought my army and everything. I’m looking forward to kicking your fat butt. Oh, and here. Take these.
:DaithiNUM: …chocolate?
:LucraisNUM: I felt an urge on the way here, but they only sell them in a pack of nine and I only wanted three, so you can take the rest if you want. A proper lady needs to watch her figure, after all… while you can get fat if you want, peasant.
:DaithiNUM: Err… thanks? Listen, I don’t really have time… um… my mother is on her way and…
:LucraisNUM: Good, I want to have a talk with her. About this whole marriage thing… I been thinking, maybe you’re right. I need to make my own decision and I’ll convince her that this whole marriage thing is an idiotic idea. We can play after that.
:DaithiNUM: Err… actually, I need to be out at the landmark at six and…
:LucraisNUM: Landmark? As in the “Avatars Decent”?
:DaithiNUM: …the what?
:LucraisNUM: Avatars Decent? The place we met yesterday? Geez, don’t you know anything about our history!? That’s where the old ancient gods sent down their mortal avatars to battle in our world, you dolt! I bet you don’t even know we’re standing in the remnants of an old ancient citadel, do you!? Bah, people today, you’ve all forgot our glorious heritage, haven’t you!? You’re all a bunch of stupid peasants, you plebian.
:DaithiNUM: Err…?

Insert To Err is mantis_
>>
No. 578489 ID: 9ddf68

well shit, this is unexpected...

[scan everyone in the hall]
[scan everyone in the hall for corruption level]

Well if she really does want to talk to your mother she should be in your dorm already soooo... forwards then?
>>
No. 578491 ID: ac14c0

>>578485
Amazing, she's exactly who we're looking for. Time to- actually, keep mum about the cultist stuff. She might be claimed by another player. [scan Lucrais, echo to Daithi] If she's not, go ahead and tell her about us and our plans, and ask about further details about the ancient history she studied.

Oooh, speaking of other players I just realized since it took a long time for a minute to pass in the game, I wonder if the 24 hours will take longer too? You might be able to play with Lucrais after all. [check time until the new player enters the game, echo to Daithi]
>>
No. 578498 ID: 40935b

She is so tsundere its a feat of daemonic social engineering you ever took her seriously at all.

Alright, let's play a game. And now, in the vein of Revolver, the voices in your head teach you to run a con. I'm not going to quote the entire theory word for word, but the basis is to feed her pieces, and let her think she took those pieces because she's smarter and you're dumber. Give her just a little bit of what she thinks she wants, make her think she's in control, make her think you're the victim. The more she invests in these notions, the less likely she is to look back and realize she's being played; she would be questioning her intelligence, and nobody- especially not her- will do that. Give her just enough rope to hang herself with.

And then you loudly munch on that chocolate like the smuggest bastard to ever curb-stomp an army of wee pewter men.

You should chat her up about the old citadel and avatar's decent- she might even be the noblewoman Atena mentioned. Why would she be looking over architecture?
>>
No. 578510 ID: dbe554

...And we thought your mother while pregnant had mood swings, sheesh.
>>
No. 578516 ID: 65a774
File 140270143502.png - (15.80KB , 900x450 , 66.png )
578516

>[scan everyone in the hall]
[“The Tower” is currently unclaimed!]
>[scan everyone in the hall for corruption level]
[“The Magician” corruption: 3% and falling.]
[You can’t scan for corruption on pieces you or your allies doesn’t own!]
>[check time until the new player enters the game, echo to Daithi]
[Avatar will be done in 2 in-game hours.]

>She is so tsundere it’s a feat of daemonic social engineering you ever took her seriously at all.
I’m pretty sure she was a bit more… angry before... or maybe I never listen past her death threats before.
>Alright, let's play a game. And now, in the vein of Revolver, the voices in your head teach you to run a con.
Err… I just said I don’t really have time… Mom will probably be here any second and then we’ll have to hurry to see this “god” guy. I’ll try to remember that con you described, though.
>And then you loudly munch on that chocolate like the smuggest bastard to ever curb-stomp an army of wee pewter men.
That, on the other hand, I have to remember.

>Ask about further details about the ancient history she studied.
:LucraisNUM: …wait, why are you asking about that?
:DaithiNUM: Because I want to learn more about this whole “heritage” you talked about. Actually, can you tell me about the… what did you call it… Avatars decent? Oh, and this place, the school!
:LucraisNUM: …Well, the avatars decent I’ve already told you all we really know. It’s basically the place where the gods avatars came to this world… if they didn’t have… um… their own nation, so to speak.
:DaithiNUM: …Own nation?
:LucraisNUM: Every nation in ancient times had their own god controlling them… but some gods without nations wanted to go around the world as mortals, either helping and becoming heroes or destroying and becoming villains. Um… that’s about it, really. Well, there are some details about the design and stuff but nothing you would find interesting.
:DaithiNUM: And this place?
:LucraisNUM: This was some kind of grand palace. It’s been theories that this was the place where the owner of this nation once lived… of course, as there aren’t any other big ruins nearby it’s unlikely there would be a big city here… another theory is that this was a neutral zone for all the avatars that came. A… focal point, if you will.
:DaithiNUM: Hmm… so the gods was really playing a game.
:LucraisNUM: Well, duh. They were all douchebags, weren’t they? Good thing they went and died, I say, as we’re probably better off without them.
:DaithiNUM: I have to agree there… hmm, you know, that’s actually quite interesting. I don’t know why I haven’t taken an interest about ancient times before…
:LucraisNUM: You really think it’s interesting? Huh, most people just tends to scoff that’s it’s useless information.
:DaithiNUM: Well, it’s their own damn fault if the past comes back and bite them in the abdomen then, eh?
:LucraisNUM: Heh, yeah…
:DaithiNUM:
:LucraisNUM:
:DaithiNUM: (Is it just me, or is her eyes rather-)
:LucraisNUM: You’re still and ignorant plebian.
:DaithiNUM: Oh, I know.

*Knock*Knock*

Insert Who’s there? Interrupting end of update! Interrupting end of update w-_
>>
No. 578519 ID: ac14c0

>>578516
That's probably your mother... or the shapestealer. Ask who it is, then open the door but don't leave yourself open to attack until you confirm they are who they say they are.
>>
No. 578520 ID: dbe554

Take a peek out and confirm who it is.
>>
No. 578540 ID: 40935b

WHO IS THE ONE WHO KNOCKS?
>>
No. 578543 ID: 40935b

Not just a con, any con or game. It applies to everything.

Lucrais seems very interested in history, but not the military kind. Are there schools for more anthropological fields of study?

>we’re probably better off without them
Didn't, like, everything collapse? I mean yeah, they had unchecked power and probably a sense of humor similar to ours, but still.

Eh, I suppose in the long term things have turned out better. But this also has some unfortunate implications; the quest to fix the earth stone may have been meant for demi-gods in mortal form.
>>
No. 578549 ID: d0e0a2

See, once you get past her blustering and such Lucrais is actually alright. I'd figure the vast majority of the hostility you felt she had towards you was from your mental illness twisting and amplifying the negativity of what she said. That'd put you further on edge, which would aggravate Lucrais more, which in turn aggravated your mental condition more, and so on in an escalating feedback loop. Take out the initial aggravation and you don't get that spiral up.

That's most likely your mother, but it could be anyone. Might even be a shapestealer, so I advise keeping your distance from whoever it is until you can confirm they're who they appear to be. I assume the door to your dorm is unlocked 'cause Lucrais could just walk in, so shouting from where you are to whoever is knocking to come in rather than opening the door yourself would allow you to keep back from them. It's somewhat rude, but better to be safe about this, right?

If it's Ceana then wait until we've determined she can hear us before approaching. We'll ask her do something like open the book on the lectern or fiddle with a leaf on the potted plant to confirm her identity.

Hey, maybe you could suggest to Lucrais that you two could collaborate on making a WarStorm campaign set in the Ancient Age. It would fit together both of your interests and you'd get to know each other better working on it.

Daithi, we're 99.9% certain that the incoming "god" is one of those non-nation avatar types because we got a message yesterday that it needed a new avatar before it could enter; It's so alien it didn't fit any of the set avatar templates so a new one had to be made. That's unnerving on its own, but given that it'll be an avatar it's very likely going to start out rather powerful. Since we have no idea how it's going to act you probably should keep a fair bit back from it when it lands just in case it's hostile or something.

Okay, what Lucrais said about Avatar's Descent and the grand palace makes me think this area was a neutral zone enforced by either the game system or the administrators to protect new players from being picked off as soon as they entered. The palace was probably the hub where new players got instruction in how to play and picked quests to pursue or a nation to lead once ready. If it was then maybe a part of that quest system is still in the catacombs and we could use it to get a lead on the Rune Vault, the keystones or the lesser rune.

Hmmm... That makes me think... Maybe this'll tell us something: [List available quests] [List active quests] [List completed quests] [List failed quests]

>>578540
Really, we have enough problems without the risk of you summoning Walter White.
>>
No. 578552 ID: 410c24

>Neat… wait, level 2? Man, I thought I would be higher than that…
To be fair, you've only just started 'playing' with us for a day. It'll go up.

>There’s no justification to use people as pieces in a game…
You know, there are games without usury. Maybe think of it more as a team sport than a board game. We're more coach then chessmaster, really. We don't move you around- we try to shout advice from the sidelines as you do your own thing on the field.

But terminology aside, we agree with the sentiment.

>stuff stuff
Huh. Well, you sort of made a friend, here. Or at least, you can bear each other. That's a win.

Excuse yourself, the plebeian has to get the door. [Scan newcomers when door is opened].
>>
No. 578579 ID: 65a774
File 140276453772.png - (15.93KB , 900x450 , 67.png )
578579

>[List available quests] [List active quests] [List completed quests] [List failed quests]
[Unexpected Error 42! Please contact Admin and send a bug report!]
>[Scan newcomers when door is opened].
[“The High Priestess” Status: Concerned.]

>Didn't, like, everything collapse? I mean yeah, they had unchecked power and probably a sense of humor similar to ours, but still.
Hey, sometimes a complete collapse of society is necessary for progress! Especially when you cast away the chains of oppression of those dictators! Viva revolution!
>Hey, maybe you could suggest to Lucrais that you two could collaborate on making a WarStorm campaign set in the Ancient Age.
Err… while a good idea, I have no idea how that would work… I mean, WarStorm isn’t really heavy on the plot as it is…
>Not just a con, any con or game. It applies to everything.
Right, I’ll keep that in mind.
>Huh. Well, you sort of made a friend, here. Or at least, you can bear each other. That's a win.
…well, I don’t really have a lot of real friends…

>Excuse yourself, the plebeian has to get the door.
:LucraisNUM: Oh, yes, very funny, you dork.
>That's probably your mother...
Yeah, it pr-
>or the shapestealer.
…suddenly I don’t want to open that door…

>Ask who it is, then open the door-
:DaithiNUM: Who is- AAAH!!
>but don't leave yourself open to attack until you confirm they are who they say they are.
:DaithiNUM: (By Jove, she’s coming in to fast! There’s no way I can-) *OFF!!*
:CeanaNUM: I-I’m s-sorry, my l-little grasshopper, I d-didn’t… If I had k-known… I…
:DaithiNUM: M-mom? A-are you crying!?
:CeanaNUM: I’ve a-always loved you, d-dear… e-even if I’ve been harsh at time… I… I was just t-trying to… I’m s-sorry…
:DaithiNUM: Mom… I… I’m s-sorry too… I don’t know what they t-told you I said… but… I d-didn’t mean it, alright? I was just... a-angry… and didn’t… I’m sorry, m-mom…
:LucraisNUM: Err… maybe I should…?
:DaithiNUM: Second door on the l-left… it’s the g-game room…
:LucraisNUM: I’ll keep myself entertained…
:CeanaNUM: Daithi…

[Message from White: Quick search of basement done, nothing found, your pawn angry because my king tried to steal wine bottle.]

Insert Aww… how cute… now fuck alrea- wait, what do you mean that’s his mother? I don’t see how that changes anything!_
>>
No. 578580 ID: dbe554

First, pull yourself from her mantis bosom.

Then you two are going to have a long chat about what has been happening, you concerning what you thought she's been saying about you all along and what she really wants for you as a loving mother.

This way we have no hangups, this way you two can bond properly.
>>
No. 578583 ID: ac14c0

>>578579
[message to White: Not surprising that a quick search led to nothing. We just discovered that Lucrias is the mantis who knows a lot about history- please inform the others that this very building was an ancient citadel, as we suspected. The catacombs probably lead to the Vault. Did you need us to switch over and defuse the situation with your king? Lastly don't forget, we have two hours until the new player arrives.]
>>
No. 578590 ID: 9ddf68

dawwww, see she does care. Oh also side note, no matter how old you get you're never to old for your mother to embarrass the crap out of you in front of people.

Anyways you guys might as well talk about whatever it is you two want to talk about and be aware that the search in the basement came up empty but Cedric did manage to piss of Nickolas by trying to swipe his wine bottle... your friend just seem to piss everyone off doesn't he?
>>
No. 578597 ID: d0e0a2

Okay, I figure you don't want us hanging around for what's going to be a private talk, so we'll throw out some questions to start things rolling then take off. Oh, Ceana, I suggest you have a seat while Daithi remains standing; Subconsciously it'll make you slightly less intimidating to him. Daithi, how 'bout you two share those chocolates Lucrais brought as well.

Ceana, you said that you were trying to do something by being harsh with Daithi at times. What would that be? And what have you wanted for Daithi's future that you've worked towards?

Daithi, it would be good if you told Ceana of some of the events in your life that stand out as what made you question if she really loved you. Then you can compare your experiences to find what the differences were.

Why did you show no interest in the people Ceana tried to introduce to you in the hopes you'd be friends, Daithi? What about the girls she introduced in hopes you'd take interest in one?

Oh, also, the tests for The Deceiver's taint Arthur did on Daithi's blood showed no traces of corruption. We can't rule out The Deceiver's influence yet, but the odds that Daithi's condition are from daemonic taint are less now. We'll need to ask Cathal if there is a more sensitive test or one that can cut through any deception The Deceiver put in place.

Now, we're gonna jump to Nickolas and keep searching the basement. [Switch to Strength]
>>
No. 578619 ID: 40935b

DAAAAAAWWW

Okay, nobody get weepy on us. This is no time to be hysterical. We'll leave you two to talk and be back before you know it.
>>
No. 578626 ID: ac14c0

Oh, Ceana, we found out that people have been hitting on Daithi a lot in the past- Cedric pointed that out to us. Only once we showed up did he start to notice it himself.
>>
No. 578693 ID: 65a774
File 140285207476.png - (12.29KB , 900x450 , 68.png )
578693

>[message to White: Not surprising that a quick search led to nothing. We just discovered that Lucrias is the mantis who knows a lot about history- please inform the others that this very building was an ancient citadel, as we suspected. The catacombs probably lead to the Vault. Did you need us to switch over and defuse the situation with your king? Lastly don't forget, we have two hours until the new player arrives.]
[Message from White: Persuaded king to leave wine, priest still grumpy.]

>DAAAAAAWWW
:DaithiNUM: (H-hey, you’re embarrassing me…)
>First, pull yourself from her mantis bosom.
:DaithiNUM: (But it’s so warm… and safe… and soft… mmm…)
>No matter how old you get you're never to old for your mother to embarrass the crap out of you in front of people.
:CeanaNUM: (No matter how old you get, your mother will never stop loving you as her little boy.)
>Be aware that the search in the basement came up empty.
:DaithiNUM: (Huh… that’s a bummer.)
>Cedric did manage to piss of Nickolas by trying to swipe his wine bottle... your friend just seem to piss everyone off doesn't he?
:DaithiNUM: (That’s Cedric alright. He takes a bit to get used to but in his core he’s a good friend.)
:CeanaNUM: (That’s Cedric alright. He takes a bit to get used to but he got a good heart.)

>Okay, I figure you don't want us hanging around for what's going to be a private talk, so we'll throw out some questions to start things rolling then take off.
:DaithiNUM: Yea, that would probably be for the best.
>Oh, Ceana, I suggest you have a seat while Daithi remains standing; Subconsciously it'll make you slightly less intimidating to him. Daithi, how 'bout you two share those chocolates Lucrais brought as well.
:CeanaNUM: Oh, she brought you chocolate? I remember when I brought one of your dads chocolate when I was courting him…
:DaithiNUM: She did kind of insult me when she gave them to me, though.
:CeanaNUM: Ah, so she does actually like you, after all?
:DaithiNUM: Mom…
>Ceana, you said that you were trying to do something by being harsh with Daithi at times. What would that be? And what have you wanted for Daithi's future that you've worked towards?
:CeanaNUM: I… I just wanted what was best for us all. I know that I should have said yes at times when I said no but… I… I’ve been a bit too protective of you, haven’t I?
:DaithiNUM: ...but I’m safe, aren’t I, mom…
>Daithi, it would be good if you told Ceana of some of the events in your life that stand out as what made you question if she really loved you.
:DaithiNUM: I… never actually… um… I was mad, alright? I was mad and stressed about this whole wedding thing I kind of… thought things that I shouldn’t have…
:CeanaNUM: I will always love you, grasshopper, never forget that.
:DaithiNUM: I know, mom…
>Why did you show no interest in the people Ceana tried to introduce to you in the hopes you'd be friends, Daithi? What about the girls she introduced in hopes you'd take interest in one?
:DaithiNUM: Wait, what people?
:CeanaNUM: The MacPhàic’s son for example. You know… silver glasses… missing an antenna?
:DaithiNUM: Oh right, him… he was a bit of a bore and… well, I was on a really exiting chapter of the book I was reading, see? The Ranger was just about to board a-
:CeanaNUM: And the Sùdrach’s daughter. She was awfully mad after you’ve met. She was the one that’s a bit… extra horizontal.
:DaithiNUM: Her? I remember her. She just got annoyed when I tried to finish reading the last book of the Channara series. Err… in retrospect, she probably got angry because I ignored her advances completely in favor of a book…
:CeanaNUM: Daithi… sweetie…
>Oh, also, the tests for The Deceiver's taint Arthur did on Daithi's blood showed no traces of corruption.
:CeanaNUM: Well, that’s some good news, at least… now, son, we got much more to talk about, you hear? Especially about this wedding…



>Now, we're gonna jump to Nickolas and keep searching the basement. [Switch to Strength]
:CedricNUM: -------(put)----(back)----(problem)… (solved)
:NickolasNUM: You still tried to steal it! Try to imagine what the owner of that bottle would feel?
:CedricNUM: ------------(bah)-----(owned)--…(school)
:NickolasNUM: That bottle was from the private stash. That means one of the cadets owned it, not the school.
:CedricNUM: --------(Really?)------(Steal)----(from)----(other part)….(Then)
:NickolasNUM: Don’t steal at all.
:CedricNUM: -----….(Oh, cheese!)
:NickolasNUM: And touch a piece of cheese in here and I’ll have you detained.
:CedricNUM: ----(but)…(Brie!)----(Just)--…(one)…(Piece?)
:NickolasNUM: No.
:CedricNUM: ---------------------…--------…--------…(swearwords)

Insert line line line_
>>
No. 578702 ID: 9ddf68

Hey Nick, we're back. Daithi is having a family moment so we thought it would be better if we let him deal with that on his own and heard that Cedric managed to piss you off and decided to come over and see if we couldn't help defuse the satiation. That and maybe help with the search while we're at it.

Oh and something that might help keep Cedric's hand's to himself is maybe mention to your assistant that you think you heard the Libby the librarian keeps some of her things down here and you'd wonder how she'd react if she found out someone stole her things. Cedric is a bit afraid of her.

other then some weird markings on the wall which I'm sure mean nothing the only thing of notice in this room other then the three of you is something poking out from the crate behind you and your assistant (can she talk?) between the crate and the bookcase on the floor. Not sure what it is but I'd thought I'd point it out.
>>
No. 578710 ID: d0e0a2

Hello, Nickolas. We wanted to give Daithi and his mother some privacy while they have a long mother-son talk, and then White told us that Cedric was annoying you so we came down here to see what we could do to help with Cedric and the search.

...Oh, we can't hear anything outside your head. That's different. I guess we should have expected that but we've never been with one who is deaf before. We've been with one who is blind, but we could still see around her even when she was alone. Interesting that her lack of sight was compensated for but your lack of hearing was not.

It's rather dim down here. Could you light that candle and keep it with you. Never hurts to have an source of light on you, right?

Could you ask Cedric why he's so intent on stealing wine and cheese. Did he miss lunch or something? I know he was evading and hiding from Libby after spilling coffee on one of her books, but we don't know for how long. Maybe he's hungry.

Is Atena nearby? I'd like you to ask her if she could send a couple of her guards out to watch for the Inquisition's arrival and warn us of that. I'd rather all of you not be down here when they show up. Also, do you know where Arthur would be running to report to? If you do we can make a guess at how long it'll take for the Inquisitional response to arrive.

That Daithi's blood didn't show any traces of The Deceiver's corruption is quite puzzling. Could The Deceiver weave a deception strong enough that it could deceive the test? Maybe we need a more sensitive test or a way to counter The Deceiver's influence. Your nose hasn't failed you before on such things, has it? Perhaps we should get somebody else who can sense The Deceiver's corruption to check Daithi as well. Is there anybody else like that? Oh, and in what other situations have you smelled The Deceiver on someone at the same level that you smelled her on Daithi?

Tell Cedric he can actually be helpful here by taking a peek in the gap behind the cheese shelf for anything hidden there and look behind the crates. He can also check if any of the crates have lids that aren't nailed down and look in any of the ones that aren't.

I spy something on the floor behind the crate behind you but I can't tell what it is. Could you take a look for us, please.

[Message to White: Please tell your king that if he can keep his kleptomania under control we'll convince our king to buy both a bottle of wine and a wheel of Brie for them to share later; We'll even make a baked Brie.] Hopefully that offer and the amusing prospect of seeing Daithi simultaneously tipsy and high on cheese ought to be enough enticement for Cedric to keep his sticky fingers to himself.
>>
No. 578711 ID: ac14c0

>>578693
Oh hey a room with a suspicious empty space behind a wall. Check that wall behind the barrels, there's probably a secret door or something.

Hmm, actually, I can see something on the ground next to the single crate. What is it?
>>
No. 578716 ID: 65a774
File 140286106586.png - (13.12KB , 900x450 , 69.png )
578716

>Message to White: Please tell your king that if he can keep his kleptomania under control we'll convince our king to buy both a bottle of wine and a wheel of Brie for them to share later; We'll even make a baked Brie.]
:CedricNUM: -------… (Pathetic complaining)
:NickolasNUM: Now, now, Thyna, don’t be like that.

>Hey Nick, we're back. Daithi is having a family moment so we thought it would be better if we let him deal with that on his own.
Ah, why hello again, voices. I do hope you aren’t here to traumatize more young girls, are you?
>Could you ask Cedric why he's so intent on stealing wine and cheese. Did he miss lunch or something?
My guess is that he likes cheese and wine? I mean, I personally like cheese and wine so…
>Could The Deceiver weave a deception strong enough that it could deceive the test? Maybe we need a more sensitive test or a way to counter The Deceiver's influence.
Well, she is the father of a lies so… yeah, she can probably deceive a test… and no, I don’t know about a test that’s more sensitive.
> Make a guess at how long it'll take for the Inquisitional response to arrive.
Let’s see… Arthurs message needs to be sent to their headquarters in the city… and knowing Arthur he’ll take a lot of time writing that message… then we have all the paperwork to think of… hmm… maybe tomorrow? …or in a few hours if they have some kind of “Emergency, demon detected” code of some sort…
>And in what other situations have you smelled The Deceiver on someone at the same level that you smelled her on Daithi?
Well, cultists smell worse… so, either people who have just become cultists or people who are to be sacrificed or the like… I haven’t smelled it in years, though, as there aren’t a lot of cults outside the untamed lands. Civilization doesn’t really agree with them.

>Tell Cedric he can actually be helpful here by taking a peek in the gap behind the cheese shelf for anything hidden there and look behind the crates.
:CedricNUM: -------…----------------…---------…-----…-------------…----!!! ----…(Cheese, nothing else.)
>Hmm, actually, I can see something on the ground next to the single crate. What is it?
:NickolasNUM: A wallet? There’s a few coins in it but nothing else.
:CedricNUM: ---
:NickolasNUM: No, it will go in the schools lost and found.
:CedricNUM: -
:NickolasNUM: And if no one comes and get it, it will be donated to charity.
:CedricNUM: ----… (Spoilsport)

>Is Atena nearby?
She’s with Victoria in the other end of the- aah, speak of the grain of sand. Here she is.
:AtenaNUM: -----…----(Found nothing)---------(No discarded armor)----… (No people)
:VictoriaNUM: --------(Tried)---(Find)----(Way down)----(Bricked wall)----… (Unable to find any bricked walls down)
>I'd like you to ask her if she could send a couple of her guards out to watch for the Inquisition's arrival and warn us of that.
:AtenaNUM: -----(Already)----(got)---(People)---…(doing that)
:NickolasNUM: We haven’t found anything… but an old, discarded wallet. This whole thing feels like a wild Ankwark chase.
:AtenaNUM: ----(There)---(has)--… (To be something here)

Insert ---…---------…(Funny joke)…_
>>
No. 578723 ID: ac14c0

>>578716
Cedric seems to know a lot about cheese. Ask him to take inventory of the shelves and see if he can spot anything that doesn't belong.

Also knock on that far wall in a few places, see if you can hear where it sounds hollow.
>>
No. 578733 ID: 9ddf68

huh, well all I see is books and creates so unless that wall Cedric is looking at is fake or something then I'm out of ideas. Unless you can smell corruption or something strong in any one area.
>>
No. 578741 ID: d0e0a2

Well, we know Daithi isn't a cultist, so that leaves sacrifice. And since he cut down that one cultist his value as a sacrifice went down significantly. Now if he just gets laid that'll take the rest of it. I just hope that's all The Deceiver was working towards with Daithi, but I have the feeling that it isn't.

Take a closer look at that wallet. Are there any distinguishing marks on it? Initials or emblems of any sort? Anything odd about the coins? Were they minted in Amun or are they unusually old?

Do any of you know what's on the other side of that wooden wall? Hmm... Is it on the edge of the basement? Because if it is, then why is it wood and not the stone of the foundation?

Victoria said she couldn't find a bricked up wall, but what if the way to the catacombs wasn't through a wall? What if it's through the floor? Perhaps a covered over stairway or trapdoor. I notice that the floor here and in the rest of the basement is wood, which is not a proper material for a basement floor; It rots from the moisture if placed against dirt or rock. So the floor must be raised at least enough to allow airflow. Who knows what's in that space, or even how tall it is. There could be an entire other floor down there for all we know.

Ask Victoria if she knows what the signs with the skull on them down here are pointing to past Arthur's lab. I assume it's not the catacombs since she doesn't know where they are. So is it crypts? Maybe storage for toxic or dangerous substances?

Also ask if the Academy has to-scale floor plans of the building and where they're stored. If we look at the one for the basement and compare it with the one for the floor above to figure out where the foundations are and that'll show where the dead spaces are that a hidden room might be in.

Oh, and is the space under the stairs enclosed? 'Cause if it is that could be a hiding spot.
>>
No. 578750 ID: dbe554

Huh, I never realized we actually 'hear' through whoever we are currently with, we can only hear what Thyne is drumming out to you when we are with you, rather then hearing from ourselves.

Certainly an interesting prospective.
>>
No. 578751 ID: 355bb6

Quick question then, why can we see when we're talking to the blind priest back in the dessert?
>>
No. 578756 ID: 40935b

>I do hope you aren't here to traumatize more young girls, are you?
Why, have you found any, ha-ha. We're never gonna live that one down, are we.

Is the wooden wall Cedric is facing hollow? Are the coins in the wallet native or foreign, or of any particular value? Is there anything under those crates, or can that shelf be moved?
>>
No. 578760 ID: 65a774
File 140287559837.png - (14.81KB , 900x450 , 70.png )
578760

>Huh, I never realized we actually 'hear' through whoever we are currently with, we can only hear what Thyne is drumming out to you when we are with you, rather than hearing from ourselves.
So you use my ears just as you use my mouth? Interesting…
>Quick question then, why can we see when we're talking to the blind priest back in the dessert?
But you don’t see through my eyes? Really? Hmm… why not?
>Take a closer look at that wallet. Are there any distinguishing marks on it? Initials or emblems of any sort? Anything odd about the coins? Were they minted in Amun or are they unusually old?
…on closer inspection there’s a small green metal leaf of some kind tied to it. I have no idea what’s that supposed to symbolize, but it’s possible that’s just a charm or a token made to recognize it. As for the coins… they are minted here and are just a year or two old. Hmm… mostly small change too… probably not someone rich then.

>Cedric seems to know a lot about cheese. Ask him to take inventory of the shelves and see if he can spot anything that doesn't belong.
:CedricNUM: ----------…---------…---------…-------
:AtenaNUM: -----! (He started naming all the cheeses…)
>Do any of you know what's on the other side of that wooden wall?
No idea… I’m pretty sure there’s nothing behind that.
>Is it on the edge of the basement? Because if it is, then why is it wood and not the stone of the foundation?
…that’s a very good question, actually…
>Knock on that far wall in a few places, see if you can hear where it sounds hollow.
:NickolasNUM: Hmm… interesting… it does sound hollow…
:AtenaNUM: -------
:VictoriaNUM: -----------! (Let’s not tear down wall without proof.)

>I notice that the floor here and in the rest of the basement is wood, which is not a proper material for a basement floor; It rots from the moisture if placed against dirt or rock. So the floor must be raised at least enough to allow airflow.
:VictoriaNUM: -------------(pluming)-----(pipes)-----(small crawlspace)-----(trapdoor)---….(Locked, key with grounds keeper.)
>Oh, and is the space under the stairs enclosed? 'Cause if it is that could be a hiding spot.
It’s open. The stairs are hollow or what’s it called… it’s nothing under them.
>Ask Victoria if she knows what the signs with the skull on them down here are pointing to past Arthur's lab.
:VictoriaNUM: --------(collapse warning)----(collapsed)-----(Years)----(ago)---… (used to lead to old tower outside.)
:AtenaNUM: -----
:VictoriaNUM: ----(completely) ---- (blocked) ----- (Wall)--… (built, tunnel closed, sign remained.)
>Also ask if the Academy has to-scale floor plans of the building and where they're stored.
:VictoriaNUM: ---------(Somewhere in)----(Archive)---… (need permission first)

:CedricNUM: -----…-------! (found book).
:AtenaNUM: ----
:CedricNUM: -------- (Filled with weird symbols)
:VictoriaNUM: -------(standard)---(commander)----(encryption)---(cipher)---… (Need key to solve).
:NickolasNUM: Give it here… hmmm…
:VictoriaNUM: -----------… (One of standard keys might work.)

Let’s see… it’s filled with the standard commander encryption alright… and there doesn’t seem to be any spaces between words so they are using an encryption where blank spaces are a symbol too… but… there’s at least two different hands that has written in this book… they seems to have taken turns and… hmmm… every “chapter” start with three words and end in four? …interesting… but what does it mean?

Insert Why did I make him deaf?_
>>
No. 578763 ID: dbe554

Well our vision never directly comes from the person we are with, we don't see through 'eye' of the host, as we see the entire section they are in, like for example as you read the book we see everyone behind you, and a bit in front of you though our vision is limited from the planes possibly due to what we are.


But I wouldn't know about the encryption unless there's something specific in the words.
>>
No. 578774 ID: 40935b

hmm, it might be a mechanic involving language barriers.

>So you use my ears just as you use my mouth?
...We haven't been making you involuntarily say stuff out loud, have we?

Give the leaf to Atena or Victoria, see if they can identify it. Is there any other way to access the tower?

>every “chapter” start with three words and end in four?
Are there any prayers, chants or creeds that begin and end consistently, Like ' in the name of the father, son & holy spirit' or something similar?

>Let’s not tear down wall without proof.
Just get a claw hammer and put the wall back together if there's nothing there.
>>
No. 578786 ID: ac14c0

>>578760
Are the three/four words the same length every time? Hang on how do you know it's three and four words, are there spaces in between in that case? I'd like to see the actual text, as I have ways of forcefully decoding things... if I know the method of encryption. Could you describe the standard commander encryption method?

We can probably use our own eyes because we have eyes. The teal squid bodies don't have ears or vocal chords, I guess.
>>
No. 578788 ID: 9ddf68

well actually we see everything in a 2 dimensional pixelated view, not through anyone's eyes... Maybe that why everything is skewed to us. We're floating teal squids, do squids even have ears? Have we been just using our player's ears this whole time because we don't have any ears of our own? Now I'm confused.

Bah, what's it matter anyways, we've got a book to decode we're not important enough to worry about anyways.
>>
No. 578797 ID: d0e0a2
File 140289846262.png - (22.60KB , 900x450 , 70_ENHANCED.png )
578797

We don't actually see through your eyes, Nick. Instead our view is from outside, with a point of view rather like that of a theater scene. We even see the cross-section of the ceiling, floor, and walls, but the unknown beyond is total darkness. ...And I see something in the darkness, Nick.

It's faint but it's there: A daemon in the dark. And I've seen it before, out in the woods shortly before the cultists attacked. At the time I thought it was just Daithi's hallucinations, but he's not here so that isn't it. It's actually because the cultists were nearby, which means a cultist is nearby right now!

Nick, get a good sniff in. Do you smell The Deceiver? ...Wait. Aw, dammit. The cheese! Its odor is filling up the space, overpowering every other scent! Nick, can you smell anything other than cheese? Any whiff of The Deceiver at all?

Wait. Nick, there's a shadow of a human next to the crate but nobody there to cast it. Probably either the shadow is the cultist or the shadow is cast by the cultist. And I think I see the silhouette of a dagger point! He's moving in to strike!

Nick, if you have a way to silently alert Thyna that danger's close, do so now. Grab Atena and tell her in your best commanding voice to move and pull her away from the cultist. If you have a mirror get it out and check for illusions once you're away from the cultist.

[Check corruption level] [Scan Strength, The Forsaken Lion, The Moon] [Attempt scan of anomalous shadow]

[Message to White: Getting daemonic hallucinations like back in woods. Check corruption level. Likely cultist in area. Anomalous human shadow next to crate with candle; Probable invisible cultist. Charge and strike with holy. Attempt capture at first; Try beating target with flat of holy sword.]

>The encrypted book
I think that book was being used to communicate between two people who can't risk being connected with each other. One takes the book from its hiding spot and leaves, reads then writes into it, then returns it for the other person to take. Might be a cultist handler passing instructions to and receiving information from a spy or agent in the Academy, or a pair of spies or agents communicating with each other.

>-----------! (Let’s not tear down wall without proof.)
There is a low impact way to check what's on the other side of that wall: Drill a peephole. Or two peepholes; One to look through and the other to shine light in. And if there isn't anything in there it's a simple matter of gluing plugs into the peepholes and the wall will be back to normal.

>(small crawlspace)-----(trapdoor)---….(Locked, key with grounds keeper.)
Hmm... If there is a hidden room behind the wall, then the most likely way to get into it is via the crawlspace, which only the grounds keeper has the key to. ...And the grounds keeper put down the rat poison that led to the basement being put off-limits to all but Arthur, which left an opening for the shapestealer to take down Arthur without anybody seeing or hearing. ...Yeah, that's suspicious. We should speak with the grounds keeper soon. I have a feeling he's either colluding with the cultists, is one, or was even the shapestealer himself. Just to check that last one, what species is the grounds keeper? If it's "lizard," then he could have been the shapestealer.
>>
No. 578806 ID: ac14c0

>>578797
Oh. I see the shadow but I don't see a knifepoint. That's probably a bolt in the crate next to the shadow.

Tell Cedric to step away from the wall. I'm worried that the Demon will reach through and grab him.
>>
No. 578820 ID: 410c24

>I do hope you aren’t here to traumatize more young girls, are you?
...yes, it would be nice to avoid that. Still feeling guilty.

>But you don’t see through my eyes? Really? Hmm… why not?
We've know that for a while, though. Sometimes it's useful, as we can see things people we're with aren't in a position to see. Sometimes it's inconvenient, as we can't see things that are obvious from their perspective.

>cipher book
Well, we might be able to crack it if we got a good look at it.

The end and start phrases might be markers. A way to show where one block of text ends and another starts. A kind of formatting to keep things strait, especially if two people were writing in turn.
>>
No. 578836 ID: 65a774
File 140294050326.png - (22.62KB , 900x450 , 71.png )
578836

>[Scan Strength, The Forsaken Lion, The Moon]
[“Strength” Status: Annoyed. “The Forsaken Lion” Status: Bored.]
[“The Moon” currently belongs to player White!]
>[Check corruption level]
[No corruption detected.]
>[Attempt scan of anomalous shadow]
[Error, no target found.]
>[Message to White: Getting daemonic hallucinations like back in woods. Check corruption level. Likely cultist in area. Anomalous human shadow next to crate with candle; Probable invisible cultist. Charge and strike with holy. Attempt capture at first; Try beating target with flat of holy sword.]
[Message from white: What shadow?]

>...yes, it would be nice to avoid that. Still feeling guilty.
Good. Accepting what you did is the first step to redemption.
>We don't actually see through your eyes, Nick. Instead our view is from outside, with a point of view rather like that of a theater scene. We even see the cross-section of the ceiling, floor, and walls, but the unknown beyond is total darkness.
Like a theater scene? Interesting… just don’t expect me to do any musical numbers.
>...And I see something in the darkness, Nick. It's faint but it's there: A daemon in the dark.
Are you sure!? I can’t smell anything and… I’m pretty sure demons can’t just pop up in walls like that…
>Nick, get a good sniff in. Do you smell The Deceiver? ...Wait. Aw, dammit. The cheese! Its odor is filling up the space, overpowering every other scent!
Well, the cheese smell is rather strong… but I do believe I would smell a demon if it was standing right in front of me anyway.
>Wait. Nick, there's a shadow of a human next to the crate but nobody there to cast it.
…what shadow?

>...We haven't been making you involuntarily say stuff out loud, have we?
No, but you’ve asked me to ask questions you’ve asked by proxy.
>Hang on how do you know it's three and four words, are there spaces in between in that case?
Yes, only the first and last words actually has spaces.
>Are the three/four words the same length every time?
…hmm… almost. It depends on the handwriting, it seems. Hmm… one of the ones who’s written in the book has some real beautiful handwriting while the other has a bit more rough handwriting… if I convert the symbols to random letters it look like this, starting with the nicer handwriting… ABCDE FBCGHIJGKL MGNBO and ends with PQGD KQRBS TQDTBQGN NUIDB. The rougher handwriting starts with MPV TQDTBQGNW NVIDBX and ends with PQGD KQRBX FBCGHIJGK MGNB.

>I think that book was being used to communicate between two people who can't risk being connected with each other. One takes the book from its hiding spot and leaves, reads then writes into it, then returns it for the other person to take.
That’s a very likely theory, yes… now the question is why?
>Could you describe the standard commander encryption method?
Basically, the basic is that you turn a letter into a symbol. To make it harder you can also turn punctuations and space between words into symbols too, and put in multiple symbols for the same letter. You can also displace letters, for example A means C and B means D Etc. Basically, it’s a cipher system that can be built upon.
>Give the leaf to Atena or Victoria, see if they can identify it.
:AtenaNUM: --------(Seen in)----(poorer parts)----(Cheap but nice looking)---…(popular among the poorer.)
>Is there any other way to access the tower?
:VictoriaNUM: ----------…(It’s just outside, grounds keepers place.)
>what species is the grounds keeper?
She’s a human, if I remember correctly.

>Just get a claw hammer and put the wall back together if there's nothing there.
:VictoriaNUM: ------! (See, pipes!)
:NickolasNUM: Huh… maybe I was paranoid for nothing…

Insert Everything is a lie, nothing means anything in the end_
>>
No. 578856 ID: 9ddf68

Alright fuck it, lets just get the hell out of here and just throw some boxes in front of the hole for now. We found the book let's just get out of here as we've got screwed over in the past for overthinking things. If you want to run on last test before we leave see if anyone has a mirror and just use it to look around the room real quick as mirrors can see past bullshit illusions. do the mirror thing before you put the boxes up.
>>
No. 578857 ID: ac14c0

>>578836
Aw. It still looks like there's something past the stone but I'm not going to ask to dig through there. What are the pipes for?

This is probably a book of love letters between an upper class person and a lower class one. The first three words are the opening phrase to each letter, and the last four are the ending phrase.
DEAR7 FEAUHIJUL5 MUNE8
YOUR LOVE9 TORTEOUN NGIRE

MYC TORTEOUN6 NCIRE4
YOUR LOVE4 FEAUHIJUL MU