[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 165776614520.png - (337.02KB , 1000x1000 , 143.png )
1038066 No. 1038066 ID: 629f2e

A mystery/horror quest about children uncovering the horrifying mysteries surrounding their small town.

THREAD 1: https://questden.org/kusaba/quest/res/1010078.html
THREAD 2: https://questden.org/kusaba/questarch/res/1019132.html
THREAD 3A: https://questden.org/kusaba/quest/res/1038059.html
WIKI: https://questden.org/wiki/Perpetuity

---

[Monday, Two and a Half Years Ago]
Expand all images
>>
No. 1038067 ID: 629f2e
File 165776618236.png - (141.15KB , 500x500 , 144.png )
1038067

Weird Kid: “You must think me a fool if you expect to blend in with a disguise like that.”
Me: “...Disguise? Like... my shirt?”
Weird Kid: “All of it! This human-like form you’ve taken on. You may have fooled the others, but I won’t fall for it!”
Me: “...Sorry, I don’t really understand.”

I’m meeting a lot of new people today. At first, everyone was super interested in me, and asking questions about why I look the way I do. Most of them stopped once I told them what dad said, but this kid has been staring at me all day. I’m sure of it, I was staring back. I was so busy staring at him staring at me that I forgot to pay attention to the lesson! Hopefully there won’t be a quiz soon.

He’d waited until lunch to approach me, which seems like a bad plan. My mouth can’t be full of food and words at the same time. Even when I’m not eating though, I can’t understand what he’s saying. That makes it hard to respond...

Weird Kid: “The sudden arrival, the bizarre appearance, it’s all evidence of a greater truth. One so simple that it almost seems a waste of my talents to deduce.”
Weird Kid: “Paranormal Activity! We’ve been invaded by alien spies looking to study our society for weaknesses! The precursor to a full-scale invasion!”
Me: “...Aliens? Those are people from other planets, right?”
Weird Kid: “Playing ignorant are you?”
Me: “...No...? I’m still eating. I’ll play during recess.”

I take a bite of sloppy joe to make my point. Somehow, I get the feeling he isn’t satisfied with my answer.

Weird Kid: “If you won’t tell me what you are, then I’ll pry the answers out of you myself.”
Me: “I’m... me? I’m just Human.
Weird Kid: “Hmph, so be it. You may be able to lie with your words, but once I acquire actual evidence you’ll have to tell me the truth!”
Me: “I thought I was already telling you the truth? Was I supposed to say a different one?”
Weird Kid: “Admit that you’re an alien!”
Me: “...I mean... I don’t think that’s right. How would I know if I was?”
Weird Kid: “*tch tch tch* You play the role of an ignoramus well. Only a high caliber spy could feign such naivete!”

Uh oh, he’s using big words I don’t know. How am I supposed to respond now?
>>
No. 1038068 ID: 629f2e
File 165776621171.png - (147.89KB , 500x500 , 145.png )
1038068

Thankfully, another kid sits at our table and responds for me. I remember him from class, I think his name was... Jesse? Yeah, I think that sounds right.

Jesse: “Hey Jhonen, maybe don’t give the new kid so much trouble? Just because he looks a little different doesn’t mean he’s some sort of monster.”
Jhonen: “I’m well aware of that, Roger.

Oh, not Jesse then. Wow, I was way off!

Jhonen: “No, I doubt that this creature is a supernatural beast of sorts. It’s more natural to assume he came from the stars, and is putting on an act.”
Roger: “...I think that assumption is the most unnatural thing I’ve witnessed today.”
Jhonen: “N-Nonsense! He has a Tail!”
Me: “...It’s a birth defect.”
Jhonen: “He has No Hair! Not even eyebrows!”
Me: “...I have a condition.”
Jhonen: “And what even is that Nose!?”
Me: “...A nose? I don’t know how to answer that one.”
Goofy Kid: “Don’t you mean you don’t nose how to answer?”
>>
No. 1038070 ID: 629f2e
File 165776625286.png - (192.98KB , 500x500 , 146.png )
1038070

The conversation momentarily goes dead at the interruption from the other kid at our table. Neither Roger or Jhonen respond, staring at him silently.

Goofy Kid: “...Yeesh, those expressions are as sweet as booger. What, don’t want me to riff on that thing you use to sniff?”
Me: “...Are those jokes?”
Goofy Kid: “You nose it!”
Me: “Oh... Then why aren’t they funny?”

Roger and Jhonen both laugh. Huh, guess it just took them a minute to get it. I wonder if this kid will explain it to me- Oh wait, he’s walking away and looking dejected. I’ll ask him later.

The others don’t waste any time getting back to business.

Jhonen: “Roger, surely a boy of your competence can see through this shoddy veil. This obviously warrants investigation!”
Roger: “Okay fine! He looks a little strange- no offense Franklin.”
Me: “None taken.”
Roger: “-but think of it this way: If Franklin is Obviously not human, then why haven’t any of the teachers done something about it?”
Roger: “They wouldn’t let a space alien come to school with the rest of us, would they?”

Jhonen opens his mouth to say something, but I think he forgot the part where words were supposed to leave. He just says quiet, eventually shutting his jaw and giving Roger a rude look.

Roger: “...You don’t have to be sour that I had a point. I’m just saying you should treat Franklin like anyone else.”
Roger: “You’d like that better, wouldn’t you?”
Franklin: “...I dunno.”
Roger: “...Uh, you probably would. Trust me.”
Franklin: “Oh. Okay then... So-”
Jhonen: “Ah-ha! I’ve figured it out! Your riddle is solved!”

Wow, he recovered fast. I thought he was just gonna stay pouty for the rest of the day, or at least a few minutes. That’s good for him.
>>
No. 1038071 ID: 629f2e
File 165776629466.png - (152.89KB , 500x500 , 147.png )
1038071

Jhonen: “Obviously his disguise casts a Veil of Normalcy, tuned to work only against the fully-developed brains of adults! The veil makes them accept Franklin’s eccentric elements as ordinary.”
Jhonen: “Your less-developed minds and my impossibly great mental acuity put us out of the range of effect! Thus, we can see the truth.”
Roger: “...”
Jhonen: “Speechless? You admit defeat then?”
Roger: “I don’t even know how I’m supposed to respond to that.”
Jhonen: “Then victory is mine! Franklin is an alien!”
Roger: “Still no! Give it a rest already!”

I’m pretty sure Jhonen is winning the argument. Does that mean I’m an alien? I’ll have to figure out if that’s bad if I am. Though Roger does seem pretty sure I’m not...

Obviously I can’t remember if anyone ever told me I was. Dad didn’t mention it yesterday, and after that... It’s too fuzzy to say. I’d rather be a demon, that seems a lot easier. You just drink blood or eat sacrifices, and do the thing that the person who summoned you wants. What are aliens even supposed to do?

...Wait, what are humans supposed to do? Hmm...

Oh, Roger is leaving. Did he win the argument? I wasn’t paying attention. Jhonen seems disappointed though. Guess Roger did win. Human I am then!

Jhonen: “They’ll see... I’ll make them all see.”
Jhonen: “The Truth is going to come out whether you like it or not!”
>>
No. 1038076 ID: 629f2e
File 165776706013.png - (161.19KB , 500x500 , 148.png )
1038076

...-lin. Franklin?

Lillian: “Franklin! Geez, took you long enough.”
Me: “...Huh?”

I’m lying on the couch in my living room. That’s weird. I normally sleep in my bed, not here. Why did I...?

...Ugh, I’m forgetting something again. Let me retrace my steps.

Everybody calls me Franklin, or sometimes The Alien, or other times... no wait, I think that’s it. Wait- if I start from there I’ll be thinking here forever. I just need to remember why I’m here.

So before this... I was with Albert, I think. We were going to have a sleepover here, so I had to tell dad that he was coming, which I did. And then... Something with Lemmy, which was weird because I don’t remember him being invited...

Lillian: “Franklin?”

Oh! Right, I need to say something.

Me: “...Lillian? Did I forget about inviting you?”
Lillian: “Nah, I just invited myself. That a problem?”
Me: “Oh, okay. That’s good, I’m happy you’re here... Did Lemmy do that too?”
Lillian: “Sort of. Look, before that- what happened earlier? Albert and Lemmy said you Passed Out all of a sudden.”
Me: “I did?”

Well that explains why I didn’t remember falling asleep here. It raises another question, but that’s still progress!

Me: “Why did I do that?”
Lillian: “You tell me man.”
Me: “...I was hoping you knew.”
Lillian: “Wasn’t here when it happened. Only person who was was Lemmy, and he’s clueless too. Just said you clonked out right after seeing him.”
Me: “Oh yeah... That would be kind of surprising. Wasn’t he missing?”
Lillian: “Well, consider him found now.”

She sighs and shakes her head. I feel a little bad that I don’t have a better answer, but I can’t help my memory being bad. I’m used to it.

Lillian: “Hey, does your dad keep any good snacks in the kitchen?”
Me: “There should be chips and chocolate kisses in the pantry.”
Lillian: “Correction, there were chips and chocolate kisses in the pantry. Until now.”

As she quickly walks off, she suddenly pauses mid-step.

Lillian: “Uh, you might want to check on your dad by the way. He came by earlier and started screaming about some weird stuff.”
Me: “He screams a lot. Did you know what it was about?”
Lillian: “Something something Home Invasion? I dunno, it was weird and sudden.”

That definitely sounded like dad alright. Lots of shouting, but not a lot of explaining. Hopefully it was a good scream, and not one that leads to the destruction of a household appliance and a new deadly weapon sitting around the house until it spontaneously combusts. He still hasn’t replaced the dishwasher...

Lillian leaves to gorge herself, leaving me to think about what I wanna do next. Albert and Lemmy have gotta be around here somewhere, and dad is probably in his lab. Maybe I should talk to one of them? But who?

Hmmmmm...
>>
No. 1038079 ID: afe7de

Dad first, need to remember if he okayed your friends staying, and if not, what normal tactics you use to ask for... well... anything?

Maybe take a look around while you do, get your bearings, try really really hard to remember why you passed out?
>>
No. 1038084 ID: e51896

So, did you find yourself in hide-and-seek?

nevermind

Go see Albert and Lenny. We probably want to calm them down and let them know you're okay.
>>
No. 1038094 ID: 7b75ea

... Dude, you have hair, now.

Also, maybe come to terms with the idea that you probably aren't entirely human. Being an alien is dumb, though. You know why Jhonen thought that, of course, because he isn't you. Aliens are generally on a mission, with ulterior motives, and you Know you don't have those. At the very least, you aren't a spy.

What are you, though? Jhonen's a biology wiz, and enough of that has probably rubbed off for you to recognize that your biology is far from that of a normal human child.
>>
No. 1038097 ID: 8483cf

> Thankfully, another kid sits at our table and responds for me. I remember him from class, I think his name was... Jesse? Yeah, I think that sounds right.

Franklin immediately most relatable kid here

Wait why do I have hair AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Wait, we're chill. Uh

aaaaaaaaaahhh.

Okay now that that's out of the way, go find Albert and thank him for being such a swell human who respects boundaries.
>>
No. 1038119 ID: 84cd4c

Hair? ...Hair! Okay. That's... new.

Maybe grab a snack for yourself on the way, or maybe not? Might be too distracting.

It might not be the bestest idea in the world, but you could find Albert and Lemmy, and talk to them on the way to your Dad who may or may not be having some sort of crisis and/or usual scientific shenaniganery.
>>
No. 1038642 ID: 629f2e
File 165827987515.png - (155.86KB , 500x500 , 149.png )
1038642

> Hair? ...Hair! Okay. That's... new
> ...Dude, you have hair, now
> Wait why do you have hair, aaaaaaaaaahhh

Me: “Huh? What’s wrong with my hai- …Oh yeah.”

I’m bald. Not sure how I keep forgetting that. If I’m not thinking about it though, then I’ll end up expecting to feel hair when I touch my head.

...
>>
No. 1038643 ID: 629f2e
File 165827989055.png - (153.04KB , 500x500 , 150.png )
1038643

Me: “Wait, Who said that?”
>>
No. 1038645 ID: 629f2e
File 165827994021.png - (132.48KB , 500x500 , 151.png )
1038645

> Maybe take a look around, get your bearings, and try really really hard to remember why you passed out?

I keep turning around, but there’s no obvious source for the voices. I’m alone in the room, and it doesn’t really feel like there’s a direction it’s coming from.

Me: “Is somebody there? Who is it?”

> Dad first, need to remember if he okayed your friends staying, and if not, what normal tactics you use to ask for... well... anything?

Me: “Tactics? ...If I need something I just ask him, and he said that Albert could stay over.”

I poke my fingers in my ears, trying to block the sound out. I thought it might help me figure out where it’s coming from, but it doesn’t do anything. Almost like the words are coming from my head. That can’t be it though, because I’m not thinking about them. The words just happen without me trying to come up with them.

...Maybe it’s my sub-conch-us? Thoughts that just happen without me thinking them.

> Go see Albert and Lemmy. We probably want to calm them down and let them know you're okay
> Go find Albert and thank him for being such a swell human who respects boundaries
> You could find Albert and Lemmy, and talk to them on the way to your Dad who may or may not be having some sort of crisis and/or usual scientific shenaniganery

Huh. That’s weird.

I was actually thinking that I should talk to Dad first, but the voices are all saying I should go to Albert and Lemmy instead. Maybe they aren’t just me then? My sub-conch-us can’t disagree with me, can it?

Oh wait, if it’s not me then I have to say something in response. It’s impolite not to.

Me: “I dunno. I do want to let them know I’m okay, but dad might blow up the house depending on what kind of mood he’s in. I really think that I should take care of that first.”
Me: “You’re right that Albert does respect boundaries better than Lemmy though. He asked for permission before coming.”
Me: “...Actually, Lillian didn’t ask either. Huh.”
Me: “Maybe I should thank Albert for that...”

> Maybe come to terms with the idea that you probably aren't entirely human. Being an alien is dumb, though. You know why Jhonen thought that, of course, because he isn't you. Aliens are generally on a mission, with ulterior motives, and you know you don't have those. At the very least, you aren't a spy.
> What are you, though?

That kind of came out of nowhere. That’s fine though, everybody asks something like this at least once.

Me: “...I’m a human. I’m just a not-normal one.”
Me: “Mom and dad are both humans, so it’d be pretty impossible for me to end up being something else. Even Jhonen believed that.”
Me: “...He just accused mom and dad of being aliens too whenever we talked about it.”
Me: “I don’t think they are though.”
>>
No. 1038646 ID: 629f2e
File 165827999189.png - (184.84KB , 500x500 , 152.png )
1038646

Hmm, the voices distracted me, but now that I think about it I probably could have talked to dad or Lemmy by now given how long I’ve been talking to them. I don’t understand the voices well enough to know if they’re a top priority, so maybe this is fine.

Maybe dad would know? I already need to talk to him, so maybe I can ask about-

Dr. Dad: “JUUUUUUNNNNNNNIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOORRRRR!!!”
Me: “AAAAHH- oh hi Dad.”

I turn around to see dad looking a bit crazy. Uh oh, he’s definitely in one of Those moods.

Dr. Dad: “My greatest creation, this is it! Our home is under attack, we’ll fight to our last breaths!”
Dr. Dad: “Your sleepover has been Compromised! By allowing one child in we’ve let at least two more secure entry! And those are only the ones I’ve seen, there may be even more elsewhere…”
Me: “Oh yeah, Lillian and Lemmy came-”
Dr. Dad: They saw the open doors and took their chance to take over our household! Not on my watch!”

He whips out his pistol and drops some sort of ray gun in my hands. Darn, I think this used to be the toaster. I can still sort of see the handle you push down to make toast.

Dr. Dad: “You’re too old for real guns, so this is simply a heat ray. Use it to vaporize the uninvited guests.”
Dr. Dad: “Which one is Albert again? I’ll make sure to spare the one you invited, at least until we can prove that he had no hand in this raid.”

I’d really like it if dad didn’t kill any of my friends. I have to say something to stop him.
>>
No. 1038648 ID: 15c72a

>>1038646
Quick, tell him they're all invited! It's fine, they're not intruders or anything.

Oh you can hear us directly. We're Tammy's friends, don't worry we're here to help. Oh, hey, this means we can tell you all the stuff the other kids found out but don't know to share... Uh, I won't, because I'm new, I don't know as much as the others.

...does that heat ray really work?
>>
No. 1038652 ID: afe7de

We're spirits or something! At least according to Temmie... And Landi... And Dotti... And uhh well a lot of people/kin! Hi! I always thought we were just text on a screen but whatever!

let us know later when you wanna hear juicy gossip and info we found out that for some reason everyone is clutching to their chests instead of sharing with everyone! Though I get the feeling you already knew most of the stuff we know. At least most of the like social dynamic stuff, you seem observant.

For now just do what you were gonna do, not that you need our permission or anything!
>>
No. 1038665 ID: 84cd4c

Oh, you can hear us? People usually can't. Um... Apologies for the intrusion, yeah.
...There's a lot I want to say, but... it seems pretty distracting. Let's save most of it for later when you've got time, yeah?

We can hear what you're thinking (you don't have to talk), but not anyone else- (besides Clive currently, he might not be able to hear us either. People usually don't hear "us", just the ...ideas.)
...So it's possible people might think you're... unwell, or even "crazy" by acknowledging us. Sorry about that.

More importantly, your Dad- Um... he seems pretty eccentric!

He... might accept it if you tell him you forgot to mention you invited the others, maybe.
That's just a suggestion, though.
>>
No. 1038671 ID: e51896

First, no need to speak out loud to talk to us, we can hear your thoughts just fine. please don't speak out loud when you talk to us. People might start getting suspicious.

As others said, Temmie sent us. She called us "spirits" and has been sending us to help Roger, and then Albert and now Clive and you... (now that I think about it, was it Temmie who directed us to Roger?) They couldn't hear us directly, but we did influence them to help them out with their problems. That said... it's probably best not to let your dad know about us, but you can tell Albert and Lilian later, we'll even help provide proof by telling them what we witnessed when talking to Albert.

But yeah.

This feels more like a game he wants to play with you and your friends, and not actually wants to kill them... buuuut, I don't know your dad so... Maybe remind him that if we kill Lilian and Lemmy, their parents might get upset with him and you, and they'll sue him, and then you both would have to go on the lam... which is weird because sheep are too itchy to ride.

After your done with your dad, I want to test some things now that you can hear us.
>>
No. 1038673 ID: 8483cf

Wait what? Violence isn't very scientific. Wouldn't Dad rather we keep them alive so we can use them as a control group for what happens to people we DON'T vaporize?
>>
No. 1038684 ID: c1d4af

I know how to distract dad! Repeat after me:

"My greatest creation? Hey, dad, did you put me together in the lab?"
>>
No. 1038708 ID: 7b75ea

>>1038684
Yeah, if you aren't a normal human, then this is the most logical conclusion, assuming you are your dad's "creation" and he himself is human. We can conclude that you were created, not born... at least, this current iteration was. Your phantom hair seems to imply you did have a life before whatever this current existence is, though.
>>
No. 1039124 ID: 629f2e
File 165870756650.png - (135.84KB , 500x500 , 155.png )
1039124

> First, no need to speak out loud to talk to us, we can hear your thoughts just fine. Please don't speak out loud when you talk to us. People might start getting suspicious.
> We can hear what you're thinking (you don't have to talk), but not anyone else- (besides Clive currently, he might not be able to hear us either. People usually don't hear "us", just the ...ideas.)

So I just have to think for you to hear? That’s convenient... and weird. I haven’t heard of anything like that before.

> We're spirits or something! At least according to Temmie...
> As others said, Temmie sent us. She called us "spirits" and has been sending us to help Roger, and then Albert and now Clive and you...

Oh! I know what those are! Spirits are the lingering souls of the deceased, unable to move onto the next life for some reason. Like they might have unfinished business, or be cursed, or are waiting on someone important to die so that they can go together, etc.

...Wait, aren’t there evil spirits too? How do I know you aren’t evil?

I guess that friends of Temmie probably wouldn’t be evil. But what if you guys are secretly only acquaintances!? I could imagine Temmie having evil acquaintances.

> Wait what? Violence isn't very scientific. Wouldn't Dad rather we keep them alive so we can use them as a control group for what happens to people we DON'T vaporize?

Violence is actually incredibly scientific. Dad has a pretty nice lecture about it, which goes over how all the best weapons have their roots in science. I don’t think that argument would stop him.

> This feels more like a game he wants to play with you and your friends, and not actually wants to kill them... buuuut, I don't know your dad so...

...He’s being serious about this... I think. He’s always really protective about the morgue, which is why I usually don’t bring people over that often, and never without warning him.

Dr. Dad: “...Junior, do I need to repeat myself?”
Franklin: “Huh?”
Dr. Dad: “Albert! Who? Tell me which one to not shoot!”

Oh right! I got Distracted and forgot to say something!

I do that more often than I should. Don’t worry, that wasn’t because of you, it’s just a common problem for me. Now, what was I gonna say again?
>>
No. 1039125 ID: 629f2e
File 165870764527.png - (176.14KB , 500x500 , 156.png )
1039125

> Quick, tell him they're all invited! It's fine, they're not intruders or anything.
> He... might accept it if you tell him you forgot to mention you invited the others, maybe.

Oh, that’s right! Thank you.

Franklin: “Um, dad? None of the kids here are intruders, everyone was invited.”
Dr. Dad: “I’m afraid that the math doesn’t check out on that. Earlier, you requested that I authorize a Single child besides yourself to enter our home. I have since then counted Three.
Franklin: “Well, at the time, I only knew that Albert wanted to come-”
Dr. Dad: “Confirmation! Only one was allotted.”
Franklin: “...But the others were invited.”
Franklin: “Albert invited Lillian, and...”

Wait, should I say Lemmy’s name? I’m not really sure what’s going on with him, but Mrs. Chamberlane said he was missing this morning. I found him, but should I be telling people about that yet?

Hmmmm... I’ll just say a different one for now. I don’t think dad will notice, he’s pretty bad with names. I’m pretty sure that’s why he named me after himself, so that he couldn’t forget it. What’s a real sounding name you can say...?

Franklin: “...Jordan invited himself, I guess?”
Dr. Dad: “They lack the authority to permit visitors!”
Franklin: “Um... Yeah, that’s true. I think the idea was that they were bringing them here to get me to ask you if they could stay.’
Franklin: “But I fell asleep early and couldn’t tell you about them.”
Dr. Dad: “So, it was nothing more than a simple misunderstanding? You’re certain of this? There is not a shred of doubt in your mind?”
Franklin: “...Yes?”
Dr. Dad: “...Very well then. I request my experimental heat ray back then, and will place a temporary hold on the order to end these children’s lives.”

> ...does that heat ray really work?

Impossible to say without testing it. In your experience, dad is great at making devices that burst into flames upon use or lack of use. That sounds almost like what you’d want from a heat ray. Still, you would prefer not to be holding this for longer than you have to.

You hand dad back the potential disaster device. He slides it into the inner pocket of his lab coat.

Dr. Dad: “Now then, regarding your guests, are you requesting all three to stay the night?”
Franklin: “...If that’s okay.”
Dr. Dad: “As long as they’re aware of all the House Rules, and stay out of Restricted Areas, then I see no issue.”
Dr. Dad: “However, I will permit no higher number of guests than this! If I see one more unexpected child, then the reason had better be that we are under attack for real.”
Dr. Dad: “If that isn’t the cause, and you have instead allowed yet more children over, I will amputate your legs and force you to crawl to school for the rest of the week.”
Franklin: “Okay. I promise not to let any more people inside.”
>>
No. 1039126 ID: 629f2e
File 165870769260.png - (274.47KB , 500x700 , 157.png )
1039126

> I know how to distract dad! Repeat after me: "My greatest creation? Hey, dad, did you put me together in the lab?"
> Yeah, if you aren't a normal human, then this is the most logical conclusion, assuming you are your dad's "creation" and he himself is human. We can conclude that you were created, not born...

...I think that’s just an affectionate nickname he likes to call me. He does it a lot. I guess I could ask though, if you spirits think it means something else.

Franklin: “Hey dad? Why do you call me your ‘greatest creation’?”
Dr. Dad: “Because you are.”
Franklin: “Huh... so, how did you make me?”
Dr. Dad: “Now that is quite the exhilarating story, you see-”

He pauses, staring at me. He squints, reconsidering what he’s about to say.

Dr. Dad: “...Right, perhaps that’s not an appropriate story for you. Why don’t you ask again when you’re a bit older?”
Franklin: “Okay...”
Franklin: “...I’m a few seconds older now. Is that enough?”
Dr. Dad: “How about we circle back to this when you’re... let’s say Fourteen, okay?”
Franklin: “Oh, okay...”
Franklin: “...”
Franklin: “...Wait.”

I realize the issue too late, as he’s hastily walking away. That’s suspicious, he seemed really uncomfortable with the idea of explaining that to me. Could it be... Is there some horrible secret about my creation!?

...Actually, now that I think about it, most parents get weird when you talk to them about where kids come from, so maybe this is normal? Either way, it’s not a very satisfying answer.

Still, I don’t think I was created in the lab. It’s more likely that Mom gave birth to me, just like most other kids. After all, she wouldn’t be my mom if she didn’t, right?

...

Oh yeah, I should go let Albert and Lemmy know that I’m okay.
>>
No. 1039127 ID: 629f2e
File 165870774086.png - (212.37KB , 500x500 , 158.png )
1039127

The kitchen is packed. Lillian, true to her word, has a tin of chips in her arms that she’s munching away at. Albert apparently found his way into the fridge. Leftover steak is more of a meal than a snack, but you understand that he’s probably hungry, and choose not to stare as he gnaws on a chunk. Lemmy somehow managed to get a few of the chocolate kisses before Lillian found them, and is periodically popping them in his mouth. There’s a decent collection of foil wrappers beside him.

Lillian: “So, no worries about your dad killing us or anything?”
Franklin: “No, I think he’s good now. Unless anybody else is coming over.”
Albert: “I can’t think of anyone who would. For their sake and yours, I would turn them away at the door.”
Lemmy: “Or the window, if they come in like how I did.”
Franklin: “...Right.”

I still have no idea why he’s here. Albert must have picked up on my confusion, because he quickly fills me in.

Albert: “I had a nice long talk with Lemmy while you were out, and I was able to drag a few answers out.”
Albert: “Apparently, his parents were discussing the option of Early Graduation, and he decided to flee home when they settled in favor of doing so.”
Lemmy: “Hey, can you blame me? Elementary school is boring enough, I’d have to be high to think high school would be any better!”

He chuckles, but his heart isn’t in it. It’s sad to think that his own parents would put him through something like that. He might not know the full extent of what early graduation means yet, but even the basic idea of just being separated from your friends and living at school is bad enough I think.

We still don’t really know the full extent either actually, just that it’s probably bad and not the thing it sounds like it is.

Lemmy: “See, you totally get it! So there shouldn’t be any issue if I keep hiding out here, right? I’d do the same for you if the situation was reversed.”
Franklin: “...I don’t mind.”
Lemmy: “Then there’s no problem! No need to keep talking about this any further, right Al?”

He goes to pat Albert on the back, but Albert just pushes him away with his cane.

Albert: “...Don’t call me Al.”
Albert: “And it’s not that simple. While I understand where you’re coming from, your disappearance may cause issues for the rest of us. The threat of an Early Curfew has already been floated.”
Albert: “It goes without saying that that would hinder our investigation significantly. And that doesn’t even touch upon what may happen to Franklin if you’re discovered here.”
Lemmy: “...Investigation? Starting to feel like I skipped a few chapters.”

Albert, as usual, had some really good points. But Lemmy wasn’t wrong either. He just didn’t want to graduate. I completely understand that, because I don’t want to either (although that would mean I get to be with Jhonen again. I guess that part would be good).

Lillian: “Eh, it’d be a pretty big jerk move to kick him out, but if keeping him here could get in the way of figuring out what Phillip has gotten dragged into...”
Lemmy: “Et tu, brute?”
Albert: “It’s just something we need to consider. I’m not going to say that we should turn you in immediately.”
Albert: “...Franklin is taking the greatest risk by housing you. I’ll defer to him for the moment on whether the potential consequences are acceptable or not.”

...Huh. Albert doesn’t usually ask for my opinion on anything really important, that’s rare. I wonder if he’s trying to improve his behavior after what happened earlier today. That’s really nice of him.

Still, what do I think? I don’t want anything bad to happen to Lemmy, but it’d be bad if we couldn’t investigate at all. Plus, dad might kill him if he finds him in the house outside of the sleepover.

Hmmmmmm...
>>
No. 1039132 ID: 8483cf

>>1039124
>...Wait, aren’t there evil spirits too? How do I know you aren’t evil?

That's a very suspicious question. How do you know YOU aren't evil?

As for what to do with Lemmy, Dad was very clear: no more than three kids, make sure they know the House Rules, and stay out of Restricted Areas.

Dad said nothing about how LONG "Jordan" could stay.

Also, Lemmy, your name is Jordan now.

To repeat, since you get DISTRACTED a lot...

1. Tell the guests the HOUSE RULES
2. Tell the guests which areas are RESTRICTED AREAS
3. Lemmy is now JORDAN
>>
No. 1039136 ID: e51896

Is there a shack, or shed, or tomb we can hide Lemmy in? Your dad or anyone doesn't go in the graveyard often, does he? Only for whenever someone needs to be buried, and lawn maintenance right? We can't throw Lemmy under the bus like that for the investigation... figuratively speaking, not Literally, Franklin. But he can't keep hiding in this morgue, sooner or later he's going to be spotted. He can stay in there after the sleepover as well. We'll just need to feed him

And as far as investigation goes, if early curfew happens, we might need to consider sneaking out at night instead of most of the afternoon after school and take naps beforehand. as we continue investigating during the day, adults might start getting suspicious...

I also want to test something. Sorry if I repeat myself. Just answer my questions:

can you hear me? if so how do I sound?
can you hear me? if so how do I sound?
can you hear me? if so how do I sound?
can you hear me? if so how do I sound?
can you hear me? if so how do I sound?
>>
No. 1039137 ID: 7b75ea

We're less "spirits of your dead people" and more "otherworldly spirits from beyond your reality."

But yeah, >>1039132 got the main points down.

Meanwhile... You acknowledge that you are not a normal human, correct? Yet both your parents are normal humans, as far as you can tell. That has very interesting implications... namely, that you probably started out as a "normal" human, but something changed along the way. The chances of you being spliced with something not human are actually pretty plausible, huh?
>>
No. 1039175 ID: 84cd4c

Although we're sent by Temmie to help, maybe "friends" is a stretch. We don't really know what their end goal is, but I assume it's for things to go... "better". Whatever that might mean.

(Adding onto what the other spirit said, can you hear this?)
...By the way, are you able to differentiate us from each other? Is that something you'd even want? Dunno if it'd help organize thoughts.


But, yes! Rules! Restricted Areas!
Although "Jordan" is welcome, it's unclear how long that'll last. Dad might, I don't know, recognize him.
>>
No. 1039176 ID: 84cd4c

...Also, bonus afterthought, you can put this on the backburner, or if you feel like it, you could probably ask Albert if he recalls thinking differently these past few days. We were helping him earlier, but it's unlikely that he heard "us".

I dunno if you're still thinking about asking people about us, but I'm not sure you'd get a serious answer from anyone other than Temmie.
>>
No. 1039184 ID: e5709d

>>1039124
>Spirits are the lingering souls of the deceased, unable to move onto the next life for some reason.
Honestly, I'm still here because of a combination of fear and resentment. We saw what the 'goddess of life and death' does to souls, and we were the ones lucky enough to escape. If the majority of souls weren't unconscious and/or powerless, we'd see a massive riot!

>How do I know you aren’t evil?
You don't. Welcome to Hell.

>>1039125
Your dad needs a hobby.

>>1039126
>Could it be... Is there some horrible secret about my creation!?
After what he just did, I can't rule that out.
But we can give you a watered-down version of what is known as 'the talk'. Long story short, females generally grow babies inside them and then expel them out. But to do that, they first need genetic material, usually from a male. This is done through a simple process where both species conjoin to combine two specialized cells in their bodies to form a single, brand-new cell, which multiplies until it forms a micro-baby, known as a fetus. The reason why adults don't tell children this is because the actual process is highly addictive, and if you grow addicted at an early age, it can drive you completely and permanently insane.

>>1039127
Whatever. Investigate.
>>
No. 1039631 ID: 629f2e
File 165929914677.png - (181.72KB , 500x500 , 159.png )
1039631

> How do you know we aren’t evil? You don't. Welcome to Hell.

That’s where you’d go if you were evil. I don’t think Cattenom is hell, we have a beach here. Hell doesn’t have beaches. With all the fire, the sand would turn into glass.

> That's a very suspicious question. How do you know YOU aren't evil?

Because I don’t do bad things, or want to do bad things? Wait, but what if the things I think are good are actually bad? Has that ever happened? Can you be evil by accident?

I can’t remember any of my friends or dad ever correcting me about evil behavior, but what if they’re evil too! What if my morality is all based on what evil people say is actually good???

...This isn’t a fun hypothetical, I’m gonna stop thinking about it.

> Although we're sent by Temmie to help, maybe "friends" is a stretch. We don't really know what her end goal is, but I assume it's for things to go... "better". Whatever that might mean.

I always thought of Temmie as more of a wise old mentor than a villain, the kind you see in stories, so her end goal is probably good. Though she isn’t very old I guess. She’s younger than me! And is she really wise? If I could see the future, that wouldn’t suddenly make me wise, would it? Maybe Temmie is secretly really dumb, but she hides it well because she can see the future.

> Is there a shack, or shed, or tomb we can hide Lemmy in? Your dad or anyone doesn't go in the graveyard often, does he? Only for whenever someone needs to be buried, and lawn maintenance right?

We do have a shed out back, but it isn’t really a good one. It’s small, filled with a bunch of tools already, and the roof leaks when it rains like tonight. I think if I told him to stay in it, he’d just go find someone else to stay with. If he was really going to graduate, then I don’t think I should. He needs protection, and I can’t think of many other places where he might get it.

> Dad said nothing about how LONG "Jordan" could stay. Also, Lemmy, your name is Jordan now.

Oooh, if Jhonen was here, I think he would be proud of me if I argued Suh-man-ticks to let Lemmy stay here for longer. That’s clever. I would have to make sure to tell dad about my cleverness before he thinks the sleepover is done though. Letting Lemmy get discovered and vaporized before I can explain would be unclever.

> Although "Jordan" is welcome, it's unclear how long that'll last. Dad might, I don't know, recognize him.

I’ve never brought Lemmy over before, so I think it’s more likely that dad learns “Jordan”’s name before he recognizes Jordan as Lemmy. Even that would be unlikely. I’m pretty sure he still doesn’t know Roger’s name, even though I had him over once before.

Okay, I think I know how I want to deal with Lemmy.

Franklin: “...Lemmy can stay here for as long as he needs to.”
Lemmy: “Nice! Guess The Alien’s got a touch of humanity in him after all!”
Franklin: “...I’m entirely human.”

> You acknowledge that you are not a normal human, correct? Yet both your parents are normal humans, as far as you can tell. That has very interesting implications... namely, that you probably started out as a "normal" human, but something changed along the way. The chances of you being spliced with something not human are actually pretty plausible, huh?

...I mean, that’s a little more believable than me not being human at all, but I don’t know if normalcy is genetic. If it was, wouldn’t all weird people have weird parents? And then wouldn’t their parents be weird, and their parents be weird, and so on until the very first parents?

And if Everyone is weird, then being weird is Normal! So I guess that would make me normal too, which can’t be right because I’m me...

...Oh! It’s like how Lillian’s parents weren’t twins, but she and Phillip are. There are just things like that which happen when you make babies.

> But we can give you a watered-down version of what is known as 'the talk'. Long story short, females generally grow babies inside them-

Jhonen already told me about that stuff. Dads put seeds inside of moms, and the moms nourish them until they come out as tiny babies. He was curious if my species was born like that, or if I was hatched from an egg like a bird. I just told him it was whichever humans do, which is the first apparently.

His mom sent me home when she heard me ask about how dads make seeds. He got grounded for that, though I’m not sure why.
>>
No. 1039632 ID: 629f2e
File 165929919806.png - (221.42KB , 500x500 , 160.png )
1039632

Franklin: “...Oh, your name is Jordan now though.”
Lemmy: “Huh?”
Franklin: “I wasn’t sure if dad would know that Lemmy went missing. So I called you Jordan to be safe.”
Lemmy: “Awww, couldn’t have even made it something funny sounding? Like Amanda Hugginkiss, or I.P. Freely!
Albert: “Amanda is a girl’s name, and what kind of first name is I.P.?”
Lemmy: “The one that could have been mine!”
Franklin: “...Sorry, I wasn’t thinking about comedy. I just said the first one I thought of.”
Lemmy: “Yeesh, in that case, I guess I’m just lucky I’m not the Third Franklin in this house.”

> ...By the way, are you able to differentiate us from each other? Is that something you'd even want?

...Kind of? You all have different voices, but they’re a little hard to tell apart. I can usually tell when one voice stops and another starts, but I’m not entirely sure if any of you have spoken more than once yet.

> Make sure they know the House Rules, and stay out of Restricted Areas.
> But, yes! Rules! Restricted Areas!

Franklin: “Oh, dad wanted me to tell you all the house rules.”
Albert: “That much is fine, as long as it won’t take too long.”
Franklin: “There are only a few, I think.”
Lillian: “...Hopefully none about raiding the kitchen, right? Else we’re all in trouble already.”
Franklin: “I don’t think there is? Let’s see...”
Franklin: “No digging up coffins, no burying bodies without marking where you put them, no corpses in the kitchen…”

I pause. All of them are giving me pretty clear looks of Confusion.

Franklin: “...What?”
Albert: “Franklin, why? Just why?”
Franklin: “...Because the kitchen is where we make food, and corpses are full of bacteria and bad stuff that-”
Albert: “That’s not- *sigh* Lillian?”
Lillian: “I’ve got it. Franklin, why are you telling us all this stuff that we’re never gonna do?”
Franklin: “...Because they’re the house rules. Dad thinks it’s important everyone knows them.”
Lillian: “...Okay. But why?
Franklin: “...Because sometimes there are corpses here? It is a morgue.”

Now that they point it out... These issues practically never come up for anyone except dad actually. Maybe we need to come up with some more general rules...?

Albert: “Fine. Are there any rules that don’t involve corpses?”
Franklin: “Ummm... Oh yeah, there is one! Stay out of the Restricted Areas. That means dad’s lab, and...”

I point at the door down the hallway.

Franklin: “That’s Mom’s Room. Never open that door.”
Lillian: “Wait, what?”
Franklin: “Well, she’s really sick right now, so dad has her in Quarantine.
Franklin: “He’s worried that visitors will make her even sicker, so that door stays closed until she’s feeling better. It’s very important.”
Lemmy: “Uh...”
Albert: “...”

The others share some weird looks, seeming worried about something. I choose not to think about it. Albert starts to say something, but I turn around and walk away, not listening. I have to use the bathroom, and Albert’s questions require too much thought to answer before going. That’s what I tell myself.
>>
No. 1039633 ID: 629f2e
File 165929923086.png - (147.95KB , 500x500 , 161.png )
1039633

I pass by the door to mom’s bedroom on my way to the bathroom. It’s still Shut, just like always...

I haven’t Seen her in a long time, and all my memories of her are kind of fuzzy... It’s nice to know she’s here though, resting on the other side.

Well, I think she’s resting. For all I know she actually can’t sleep and is rolling around in bed miserably. She can’t tell me, so I just have to hope for the best.

She’s going to get better though, dad promised. I’ll see her again soon. I just have to wait.

Just... have to keep Waiting...

...
>>
No. 1039635 ID: 629f2e
File 165929926644.png - (152.38KB , 500x500 , 162.png )
1039635

...
>>
No. 1039636 ID: 629f2e
File 165929928710.png - (134.17KB , 500x500 , 163.png )
1039636

...My mind must be getting less reliable everyday. Making up weird memories like that.

Party Fear Levels:
[Franklin: 50/100]

>>
No. 1039637 ID: 8483cf

You're a suprisingly insightful kid, Franklin. Quarantine is usually only for people who are infectious.

You're thinking of a germ-free zone for people with compromised immune systems. However, people with compromised immune systems still need to eat.

When you have a moment, think about how much food you've been bringing in. Is it enough for one grown person, one kid and one sick person?
>>
No. 1039639 ID: 7b75ea

... Lemmy was in "mom's room."

Go to the bathroom. Then ask him where he was hiding before you found him.
>>
No. 1039642 ID: e51896

I recommend checking the dis thread and discussing theories there before posting here so we don't risk raising Franklin's fear level

>>1039637
Yes, you are very insightful. Don't woorry, Franklin, your mind is actually pretty reliable. You Just need some time to relax a bit and organize your thoughts. Thinking about food amount is a good thought exercise.

But ummm... also, think happy thoughts for a moment, Franklin. remember doing anything fun recently? count the tiles on the bathroom floor while your in there.

>>1039639
As much as I want to, lets not right now. I have the same thought as you, but lets be patient with Franklin on this. he's at 50 fear after all
>>
No. 1039645 ID: e51896

Also, Franklin, I think you should ask your friends if they want to spend some time playing (board games, toys) or watching tv for now. I think after today, everyone could use a break to relax a bit. (hopefully lower everyone's fear to some degree). Bring whatever games or toys you have to your friends. It's a sleepover after all!
>>
No. 1039650 ID: e5709d

>>1039631
>And if Everyone is weird, then being weird is Normal!
No.
Normality requires the aggregate sum of all normalcy in the world.
Everyone in this localized area being weird does not automatically mean that everyone in the world must be just as weird.
Your town is infected. We're infected. You're infected.
Booga booga booga.

>Jhonen already told me about that stuff. Dads put seeds inside of moms, and the moms nourish them until they come out as tiny babies.
Oh, good. You missed the part where one of the seeds needs to hit an egg inside the mom to merge into a proper seed, called a STEM cell. Actually, it's not considered vulgar to watch videos of stem cells multiplying, we could-
>He was curious if my species was born like that, or if I was hatched from an egg like a bird.
Uh... I don't think you should listen to Jhonen for medical advice. Ever.
I wish I could say he's just schizophrenic but after what we've seen, we can't rule out him being something more than human. Ugh.

>>1039632
Quarantine is a topic we've been forced to learn for the past eighteen @#$%ing months. Really, if your mother caught a rare, obscure disease from one of the many corpses your parents sift through for a living, then it's probably for the best that you physically stay far, far away from them both. If the disease spreads, people could die.
But there's one thing that bugs me. Why hasn't your dad let you talk to your mom on the phone? No biological disease in human history has been known to transmit electronically. I... don't think she's awake.

>>1039635
...This had better not be what I think it is. We can't take too many Karens barging in and shutting this network down.

>What do
Deep breaths. Think about the structure of reality and how you'd expect it to apply to the town. Compare large models that are not as influenced by individual humans.
Then screw all that and play a kemonomimi dating sim you borrowed from your teen friends.
>>
No. 1039663 ID: 84cd4c

>...but I’m not entirely sure if any of you have spoken more than once yet.
We have! You seem to be getting kind of used to it.

>And if Everyone is weird, then being weird is Normal!
Yep! Everyone's weird- it's just that whenever a large group of people form, (a society, let's say) then what's weird to them is only the extremest weird of weirds! What's "weird" about you is undetectable to you, because everyone's normal is dependent on the individual.
Jhonen's kind of weird, and he probes into what he thinks is weird about you, that is to say, he thinks that you're so weird you can't be human.
...
I bet you could egg Jhonen on into helping you with something later by stoking his curiosity.
don't think about how Very Bad Things happened to him don't think about it don't think abou-

>Then ask him where he was hiding before you found him.
To be honest, I think you should Wait on this, Franklin. If you're worried about forgetting to ask later, we can always remind you.
Also, maybe ask Dad around the same time later if you can talk to Mom. Preferably before confronting Jordan. Surely that's possible without "Seeing" her.

...But, right now, it might be best to prioritizing having a good time while you guys have the time to spare. What kind of nonsense do you think Jhonen would bring up right now? It might liven things up!
>>
No. 1040325 ID: 629f2e
File 165993575031.png - (133.33KB , 500x500 , 166.png )
1040325

> ...Lemmy was in "mom's room."

Impossible. Nobody’s allowed in mom’s room but mom, so he couldn’t have gone in.

> Ask him where he was hiding before you found him.

I don’t need to. He may have been hiding somewhere, or he might not have. Wherever he was, I was so surprised that he was here at all that I must have fainted. Where it happened doesn’t matter, I think.

> When you have a moment, think about how much food you've been bringing in. Is it enough for one grown person, one kid and one sick person?

...I don’t understand. I don’t bring food from anywhere. Not even from home to school, as I like school lunches more.

Are you asking if we have enough in the house to feed all three of us? I mean, I think so. Dad feeds mom most of the time, and he buys groceries, so he’s the one who would know for sure. I only cook for mom when he asks me to. I don’t get to bring it in though, just leave it by her door. The plate will always be empty the next time I check!

> Yes, you are very insightful. Don't worry, Franklin, your mind is actually pretty reliable. You Just need some time to relax a bit and organize your thoughts.

No, my brain isn’t reliable at all, but it’s nice of you to say that.

Because you recommended it, I take a little extra time washing my hands to think about how things are. And then I think about how things were. And then I think about something totally different and unrelated...

...And eventually I hear knocks on the door, breaking me out of my trance. I don’t know how long I was thinking for, but my hands are feeling pruney from being under the water. Probably too long. I turn off the faucet.

> But ummm... also, think happy thoughts for a moment, Franklin. Remember doing anything fun recently? Count the tiles on the bathroom floor while you’re in there.

I met Enid recently. That was fun, Enid is nice. I wonder if we’re friends yet?

...I had a fun dream when I fell unconscious. That was nice too.

And of course there are my friends here, and plenty of fun to be had with them.

I choose not to count tiles in the bathroom, and I feel like I’m having a great time not doing that. Though I can’t prove that doing it wouldn’t have been fun too, even if it sounded pretty boring.

I’m glad I did this, it makes me feel a little better.

Franklin has taken a moment to relax, losing 1 Fear.

Party Fear Levels:
[Franklin: 49/100]


When I finally open the door, Lillian is there, still looking concerned over something.

Lillian: “Hey Franklin, how are ya feelin’?”
Franklin: “I’m fine. I feel better now.”
Lillian: “Good, that’s good... Hey, you don’t gotta talk about it if you don’t wanna, but you kind of left in a hurry in the middle of our chat.

Did I? I thought the conversation was over, and that it was okay to leave. I guess that was rude of me, my bad.

Franklin: “...I wasn’t feeling good. I didn’t vomit though, so I’m fine, I think. Sorry for worrying you.”
Lillian: “That’s okay... Look, that thing you said before, about your mom, it was kind of confusing since-”
Franklin: “Don’t go into her room.”
Lillian: “That’s the thing, her room is-”
Franklin: “Over there.”
Lillian: “You told us already, but Franklin-”
Franklin: “Can we play a game?”
Franklin: “We’ve been investigating all day. I want to do something fun.”
Lillian: “...”
Franklin: “...Please?”

She sighs, muttering something to herself. It’s nothing important.

...

Lillian: “Sure, let’s play. Got any good ones?”
Franklin: “A few! Um... Let me grab a few, and then we can pick one.”

I turn around and rush off to my bedroom, but hesitate around the corner when I hear some quiet voices. When I stop to listen, I realize it’s Albert and Lemmy talking to Lillian. That was fast! They must have been... really close already to get to her that quickly. I wonder what they’re talking about.


Albert: “... -questions. He’s Deflecting.
Lemmy: “Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt, y’know?”
Lillian: “Yeah, I know, but just drop it for now. He doesn’t want to talk about it, that’s his business. He’ll let us know when he’s ready.”
Albert: “We can’t just-”
Lillian: “Just leave it! It’s late, and we’re all tired. At least save it for tomorrow. Okay?”

...

I should go get those games already...
>>
No. 1040326 ID: 629f2e
File 165993580575.png - (169.01KB , 500x500 , 167.png )
1040326

The sleepover was a lot of fun. We played games, told scary stories, made stupid snacks in the kitchen (Lemmy’s peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches were actually a hit with all of us, but is it really a stupid snack if it tastes great?), and then we all went to sleep. Albert took my bed, because he was hurt and we all agreed he needed it most; Lemmy took the loveseat; and Lillian and I shared the couch. I had so much fun that, even when I fell asleep, I was still playing games in my dreams. It was the perfect way to end the night.

Sleepovers are nice. I think we all really needed a night to relax. It’s a shame Roger and Enid couldn’t be here. ...And Clive too, I guess. We’re not really friends yet, and he’s still kind of scary, but I bet he could use a break too. Maybe I can invite everyone over next time?

...Although, it wouldn’t really be Everybody. Not without Phillip, Rodney... Jhonen.

Everyone wants those guys back, and I do too. That’s why we have to work hard and investigate. I’ll give it my best!

...

...Well... I might actually have Something Else going on today that’s unrelated, so maybe I won’t get much done until tomorrow. But once tomorrow comes, I’ll be giving one-hundred-ten percent to this investigation!
>>
No. 1040327 ID: 629f2e
File 165993591611.png - (160.56KB , 500x500 , 168.png )
1040327

When we leave for school, Albert tries to ask me about mom again. I don’t really have anything else to tell him, so I just don’t speak at all. That does not make him happy. I guess I should have thought of something better.

Class is boring, but lunch is nice. I get to talk to all my friends (who haven't graduated) there. Even if we’re mostly just gonna talk about investigation stuff. It’s better because we’re doing it together.

And Roger is here this time! No baseball today I guess.

...He seems uncomfortable. Oh, I think it’s because Clive is here. Did anybody tell him we were working together now? Guess not, if that look of surprise is anything to go off of.

We get to talking about yesterday, and then about the nuclear plant that I know I’ve heard about somewhere, and that topic is going on for a while, I’m not totally following. And it doesn’t help at all when you voices start talking.

> Normality requires the aggregate sum of all normalcy in the world. Everyone in this localized area being weird does not automatically mean that everyone in the world must be just as weird.

So wait, is everyone in Cattenom weird? Have I never met a normal person in my life? I wonder what they’d be like, normal people...

Hmmm... I guess I wouldn’t even know where to start guessing in that case. If all I’ve ever known were weird people, then what could I base a guess about what normal people on?

> Jhonen's kind of weird, and he probes into what he thinks is weird about you, that is to say, he thinks that you're so weird you can't be human.

I have heard other kids call Jhonen weird. But if they’re weird too, then why point it out? Maybe he’s weird by weirdness standards? Is that a thing? What if weird means something different to people who only know other weird people? Like what we call weird would be super weird to the not weirds out there.

Oh! Maybe that’s the trick. It’s a term that changes based on who you ask. Like how an inch might seem tall to an ant, but would be small to a human. Weirdness is relative!

> Uh... I don't think you should listen to Jhonen for medical advice. Ever.

He’s actually really smart about medical stuff! His parents are both doctors, so it makes sense. He taught me everything he knows, and I picked up at least a tenth of it all, so now I’m almost kind of decent too I think.

> Also, maybe ask Dad around the same time later if you can talk to Mom.

Oh, I talk to mom all the time actually. She just can’t talk back. She’s Mute, can’t say a thing.

I always worry that I might be annoying her, but I’d rather bother her a little than leave her bored and lonely a lot. Being sick for a long time is... Lonely, I think. She probably wants the company, and it lets me keep her caught up about my life and my friends, so she won’t have to catch up when she finally feels better.

Lillian: “Hold on, that’s true, but is that really how we want to spend today?”

Oh! I wasn’t following completely, but that’s a change in topic I think. We were just talking about going down to the nuclear plant and investigating there. I should pay closer attention.

Lillian: “...C’mon, it’s obvious isn’t it?”
Lillian: “We should go spring Phillip and the others from that high school prison already! We know it’s shady, why do we need to dig up proof it’s even shadier?”
Roger: “I don’t think that’s a good idea. Not yet, I mean.”
Albert: “Ditto.”

The two rejections knock the wind out of her sails a little. She turns to me, clearly hoping for some support.

Franklin: “I’d love to go hang out with Jhonen at the high school too, but I can’t.”
Lillian: “Whaaaat, even you’re against it, Franklin? I really thought I’d have you on my side here.”
Franklin: “...Huh? Oh, I agree with you. I want to get Jhonen, and Phillip, and Rodney back already, but I can’t. Just like how I can’t go to the nuclear plant either.”
Roger: “Wait really? Why not?”

It occurs to me only now that I failed to mention this to anyone beforehand. Whoops.

Franklin: “I have a Playdate with Temmie after school.”
Lillian: “Wait, what? Since when!?”
Franklin: “...Yesterday. She asked me to come over during recess.”

I was very popular during recess yesterday. First Temmie invited me to play with her today, and then Albert came by and asked to stay the night. It was a little weird for Albert to ask about that, but I feel like it’s way weirder for Temmie. We basically Never interact ever. I’m sure she’s a nice girl, us speaking just doesn’t happen naturally, and we aren’t in any of the same friend groups that would bring us together like Albert and I are.

Actually, I don’t think Temmie is in Any friendgroup at all. I never see her at the field, or around town. The only times I do are when she’s out shopping with her dad. I guess she likes staying at home. Considering I used to do it until I was around 8, and Enid did it up until a few days ago, I guess that isn’t really too weird here. Some kids like being home.

...I actually like going out though. I wonder why I used to stay inside all the time? I’m sure dad told me the reason at some point, but I forgot it.

Enid: “So, it’s just going to be the Five of us going to the nuclear plant then?”
Roger: “Not exactly. If Franklin’s going to Temmie’s place, then somebody should go with him.”
Enid: “But, he’ll be with Temmie, won’t he?”
Roger: “For however long their playdate is. Afterwards it might just be him, and Franklin doesn’t really do well on his own.”
Franklin: “Would I actually be alone if I still have the voices in my head.”
Albert: “If you mean your own thoughts, then yes. And if you mean literally anything else, then all the more reason you require a chaperone.”
Franklin: “...That’s fair.”
Enid: “Wait, Franklin’s older than me though, and my dad used to let me stay home alone. Shouldn’t he be fine by himself.”
Roger: “He has a bad habit of spacing out and getting lost if nobody is there to snap him back to reality.”
Franklin: “That was over a year ago. I got over that habit. Now I just stay still when I’m getting really deep into my thoughts, that way I can’t wander away.”
Franklin: “Although, sometimes I forget to Stop thinking, and I’ll be in one place for over an hour.”
Enid: “...Okay, I see the problem.”

I’m in complete agreement about me following the buddy system. I get a lot more done when it isn’t just me getting lost in thought and forgetting to do all the things I was planning on doing. Plus, it lets me hang out with my friends! I’m really lucky that they’re all nice enough to put up with me like this.

Albert: “So who wants to skip out on the plant to stay with Franklin? It won’t be me.”

...Most of the time. Actually, Albert put up with me for a whole sleepover, so he gets a pass.
>>
No. 1040328 ID: 629f2e
File 165993596794.png - (171.56KB , 500x500 , 169.png )
1040328

Enid: “I could do it. To be honest, I don’t really wanna go to the nuclear plant. It sounds kind of... Scary?
Enid: “I’d much rather play with Franklin. But, I know I didn’t help any yesterday, so it’s fine if you’d rather have me there.”
Lillian: “Hey, this stuff is all scary and weird. Nobody’ll blame you if you don’t wanna deal with it.”
Roger: “Yeah, Lill’s right. You should take things at your own pace.”
Enid: “Really, I’m fine. If you want me to come to the plant, then I can handle it.”
Lillian: “Well I’m fine chilling out with Franklin too. If we really are set on doing the nuclear plant and not, like, busting Phillip and the others out of high school that is.”
Roger: “I’d also be up for spending time with Franklin. It should be his choice though. He chooses who to ask, and they can say no like Albert did if they aren’t interested.”
Lillian: “Seems fair to me.”

So I have to choose then? That’s tricky. All of them would be fun to spend time with, buuuuuuut...

Well, I think Roger mostly just wants to Avoid Clive, which isn’t really good? He really needs to get used to being around him. Also, the others could use his leadership. He’s great at keeping everyone happy and working together, so I feel like I’d be wasting him if I took him with me. All my friends make me happy.

Even though Lillian isn’t asking questions like Albert, I can tell that she’s still Worried about me for some reason. I don’t know why, I feel fine. There would be an awkward atmosphere if I bring her now. Also, I spent most of yesterday with her already, so there’s that. Also also, if the plans change any, and the others are going to high school instead of the nuclear plant, then I’ll have to change my plans around her wanting to do that instead.

And then there’s Enid, who seems like she should be the right answer. It’d be a good chance to get to know her better, and I like spending time with her. She was even in my dreams playing games with me, so it’s obvious that my brain likes her. It’s just...

Well, when we were going to the field the other day, and I was showing her all the spots where Jhonen injected me with something or pulled blood out of me on my arm, I pulled my sleeve back too far, and I think she caught a glance of Something. I don’t wanna talk about it, but it’s hard to lie about something so easy to prove. I’m worried she’s gonna start asking questions if we’re alone.

...Huh, now that I think about it, we forgot to talk about someone in this discussion. What are we gonna do with Lemmy? I didn’t get a chance to tell dad that he’d be staying this morning, so he’s hiding out in my room until I come back. If he wore a Disguise, I guess he could come with me. But he probably wouldn’t even need one if he went to the nuclear plant with the others. At least, not while they were there.

Ugh, there’s so much to think about, what should I do?
>>
No. 1040336 ID: 8483cf

Hang out with Lillian. The group needs Enid's sanity.

Maybe get a disguise kit from Mr. Snyder's Toy Store?

Also, how exactly do you talk with Mom? Like, hang out by her door and just talk? Has she ever written a letter back? Maybe you should give her some pen and paper.
>>
No. 1040351 ID: e51896

how about you say lets wait until Clive votes.

If he doesn't say anything or chooses nuclear power plant, take Lilian.

If he votes to go to the highschool and everyone goes there, take Enid with you since I think Lilian really wants to go to the high school.

as for disguise with Lemmy, the only thing I can think about is your ghost costume from Halloween... might be suspicious tho... hmm. maybe we can make an excuse we're playing ghost hunting at Temmie if anyone asks, and Lemmy should stay quiet and say he's someone else if anyone asks. Might think of a different idea later

Also, didn't Roger get a gas mask for christmas? maybe he can bring that with him to the power plant if they go.
>>
No. 1040354 ID: 84cd4c

If you're wondering about the 'fear' comment, that's a thing we're keeping track of, I guess.
Luckily, all of your choices are at pretty low to no fear.

It sounds like your choice is between Lillian and Enid, honestly- and while a part of me does want to suggest Enid, Lillian's probably the better option here. The Awkwardness is just a temporary thing, I think!
You should probably choose depending on where everyone's going, like the other spirit said.
If you end up having to bring Enid, you can always fall back on us.

As for Lemmy, I'm unsure whether he should be brought along by either you or the others- and a disguise is a good first idea, but his... flamboyantly jokester personality is very recognizable. Getting him to drop that might be difficult, but having him act a part that sounds fun, probably less so.
Like, Italian mob boss or something? I don't know.

Maybe the others have a better idea for a disguise? You could ask them, but I don't know if Clive or Enid are on board the "Hide Lemmy" train, so... that's a gamble, I'd say.
>>
No. 1040363 ID: 7b75ea

> IMPOSSIBLE?
I... doubt that. There's nothing actually Physical ensuring you Can't enter Mom's room, right? Just a Rule that says you Shouldn't - one that Lemmy wasn't aware of until after the sleepover started.

Simply being surprised to see him wouldn't be enough to make you Faint, I think. But if Lemmy appeared from a place you thought inconceivable? Especially if the room's contents weren't what you were expecting?

Come to think of it, you've never gotten definitive Proof that your mom was ever behind that door, have you? Simply Ignoring the Truth Lemmy inadvertently showed you won't make the Fear just go away, Franklin.

But if it's too much to consider... this doesn't necessarily mean your mom doesn't Exist. Perhaps she's simply not where dad Claimed she was? There was Another Room your dad forbade you from entering, isn't there?

> CHAPERONE
I say go with Enid. If she has questions, you need to address them at some point. What is this Something, by the way? Spirits are dying to know, and it's not like we can do too much with this juicy info.

> WHERE THE OTHERS ARE GOING
If someone raises an objection to going to the power plant over the high school... there's actually a pretty decent point against it.

Namely: "Wait, if we know the high school isn't what it looks like, how do we know the graduating kids are being taken there at all?"
>>
No. 1040371 ID: 0838d6

> Chaperone
So I'm gonna be in the minority here and say bring Albert with you to chaperone. He wanted to hang out yesterday, which is weird, but he's also been hurting, which you saw. Rather then have him stress and injure himself, have him come with you on a playdate!

Yeah you might have to deal with some weird questions, but Jhonen likely gave you the weirdest and hardest hitting ones of all time, so this'll be nothing!

Also I like someone else's idea of writing letters to your mom because if she's mute, and she obveously was part of the process of teaching you to write/read, and she's sick, that'll be a nice way to talk to her!

Also Albert's smart and can help with figuring out how to let Lemmy come out in plain sight!
>>
No. 1040374 ID: 84cd4c

>>1040371
Albert already refused, remember?
>>
No. 1040377 ID: 0838d6

>>1040374
Rip, reading comprehension fail. Then Lilian because I want Enid to go with the group, she has like 0 fear
>>
No. 1040420 ID: a2d88b

I think picking Lillian is a bad idea: Those exploring the forest are likely to need The Athlete. That leaves Roger or Enid.

Enid, who had an education different from the rest, might have the best chances of having some knowledge prove unexpectedly useful at the power plant.

That makes Roger the best choice.
>>
No. 1040617 ID: e51896

Franklin, do me a favor, can you please thank Clive for giving Albert his lunch?
Let him know his brother will be okay, his optimism attitude will see him through.
>>
No. 1040780 ID: 629f2e
File 166044592142.png - (136.63KB , 500x500 , 170.png )
1040780

> How about you say ‘Let's wait until Clive votes.’

Good point, the remaining votes could change where we end up going. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to wait a little bit.

Unfortunately, Clive doesn’t really say anything. He just sits there frowning like usual, or maybe even more than that. I give him a window to try and speak up, but if he doesn’t want to then he’s probably not going to. I should say something before the others think I’m spacing out. I’m really not this time!

> Hang out with Lillian. The group needs Enid's sanity.
> If he doesn't say anything or chooses nuclear power plant, take Lilian.
> It sounds like your choice is between Lillian and Enid, honestly- and while a part of me does want to suggest Enid, Lillian's probably the better option here. The Awkwardness is just a temporary thing, I think!

Huh. A LOT of you guys want Lillian. That’s understandable though, Lillian’s always been popular. That’s why everyone plays games with her.

It’ll be awkward, but that’s okay. Lillian’s still my friend, so I don’t mind facing a little bit of awkwardness with her. And I don’t think Temmie will mind her showing up either.

> So I'm gonna be in the minority here and say bring Albert with you to chaperone. He wanted to hang out yesterday, which is weird, but he's also been hurting, which you saw. Rather than have him stress and injure himself, have him come with you on a playdate!
> Albert already refused, remember?
> Rip, listening comprehension fail. Then Lilian because I want Enid to go with the group, she has like 0 fear

If it makes you feel better, I don’t think Albert would have been my choice even if he was an option. Not that I don’t like hanging out with him, he’s my friend too. He’s just a little... Well, he gets upset when he doesn’t understand something, and it’s hard for him to just drop it. I don’t think he understands me at all, and that’s really frustrating to him. Albert likes control, and mysteries kind of get in the way of that.

He’s kind of like Jhonen’s opposite. Jhonen always gets excited when he can’t figure something out, because discovering a mystery means you’ve taken the first step towards making a discovery.

I already got asked a lot of questions by Albert this morning, and I don’t think my response to them would be much different now than it was back then, which means he’d get frustrated and we’d have a bad time. So, not a great choice for either of us.

> I say go with Enid. If she has questions, you need to address them at some point.

I do want to spend time with her, but I also really don’t want to talk about that.

> What is this Something, by the way? Spirits are dying to know, and it's not like we can do too much with this juicy info.

I’m not supposed to tell anyone about it, and I think that includes you guys. If I was the only person you could talk to, then maybe, but I’m not. You said you were with Roger, and then Albert, and now Clive and me, so you could still tell him. Plus there’s Temmie, who...

Wait, Temmie can see the future, so wouldn’t she already know? Hmmm...

Okay, putting her aside, the only people who know are mom, dad, and Jhonen, and I didn’t even tell Jhonen about it. He kind of just found out by mistake. I don’t think any of my friends would tell anyone if I told them, but talking about it just makes me really uncomfortable.

> I think picking Lillian is a bad idea: Those exploring the forest are likely to need The Athlete. That leaves Roger or Enid. Enid, who had an education different from the rest, might have the best chances of having some knowledge prove unexpectedly useful at the power plant. That makes Roger the best choice.

Roger may or may not be the best choice, but I think you made a good point about Enid.

Okay, I think I know who I want to pick.
>>
No. 1040781 ID: 629f2e
File 166044596927.png - (135.58KB , 500x500 , 171.png )
1040781

Franklin: “I think I want Lillian to come with me. Is that okay?”
Lillian: “Course it is! I already said I’d be fine with it.”
Enid: “Like I said, I’m fine with going to the plant instead.”
Roger: “It’ll be nice to be right there when we find something instead of hearing about it after the fact this time.”

Everyone seems to be okay with this setup. That’s good to hear. Sometimes people will say that something is fine, but then actually complain when it happens.

Like when an adult tells you not to make an ugly face because it might stick, they don’t want to hear that you’d be fine with your face remaining that way. They really just want you to stop making that weird face.

Albert: “Then I believe that’s settled. Now-”
Franklin: “Um, wait a minute. What about Lemmy?”
Roger: “...Oh yeah, right. You guys said you found him at the morgue. So he’s still there, isn’t he?”
Lillian: “We could always just leave him.”
Franklin: “...If we do that, then I definitely need to warn dad in advance.”
Franklin: “Otherwise he might get shot.”
Enid: “Please say that you’re joking.”

I stare at Enid. I think she gets the seriousness of my statement without me saying anything.

> As for Lemmy, I'm unsure whether he should be brought along by either you or the others- and a disguise is a good first idea, but his... flamboyantly jokester personality is very recognizable. Getting him to drop that might be difficult, but having him act a part that sounds fun, probably less so.

That’s true, he’s got a pretty distinct personality. We’ll have to make sure he can be a little less him before taking him anywhere.

> Also Albert's smart and can help with figuring out how to let Lemmy come out in plain sight!

Franklin: “What do you think, Albert?
Albert: “Bringing him to the nuclear plant wouldn’t be a terrible idea. We aren’t expecting to see anybody there, so the risk of getting caught is slim.”
Albert: “...But he’s incredibly annoying, so I’m fully against bringing him.”
Lillian: “Yeah, the puns are kind of a pain.”
Roger: “He can’t just walk around town with Franklin though. He’s supposed to be missing, remember?”
Albert: “Not without a disguise at least.”

> As for disguise with Lemmy, the only thing I can think about is your ghost costume from Halloween... might be suspicious tho... hmm. maybe we can make an excuse we're playing ghost hunting at Temmie if anyone asks, and Lemmy should stay quiet and say he's someone else if anyone asks. Might think of a different idea later
> Maybe get a disguise kit from Mr. Snyder's Toy Store?

No the ghost idea won’t work. That’s my costume. People will think he’s me, and then they’ll think I’m an Impostor. But Mr. Snyder does sell other costumes.

Franklin: “Maybe we could buy him a Halloween costume from the Play&Pay?”
Roger: “Walking around with a vampire would stand out even more than just bringing Lemmy as he is.”
Roger: “Although Jhonen might get magnetically ripped out of the high school and straight to your location if an alien and vampire are walking down the street together.”
Franklin: “...I wasn’t planning to put on an alien costume.”

His unimpressed expression meets my grin. I know what he means, I’m just being cheeky.
>>
No. 1040782 ID: 629f2e
File 166044601124.png - (138.24KB , 500x500 , 172.png )
1040782

Lillian: “...Hey wait, Roger, you still got that Costume Trunk back at your place?”
Roger: “Oh yeah, I do! It’s mainly just hats and coats in there, but there are a couple goggles and masks at least.”
Franklin: “...Who would we be disguising him as with that stuff though?”
Roger: “That’s... a good question.”

Enid: “As long as he isn’t obviously Lemmy, I think that should be fine, right?”
Lillian: “But we gotta have a cover if anyone asks who he actually is, right?”
Franklin: “We have one. He’s Jordan, remember?”

It’s not a very fleshed out cover story, but we can hash out the details with him later.

Lillian: “Oh yeah... Alright, I think that could work. As long as we don’t bring him to his parents or anyone else who’d immediately recognize him.”

> Franklin, do me a favor, can you please thank Clive for giving Albert his lunch? Let him know his brother will be okay, his optimistic attitude will see him through.

I look over to Clive to relay the message, only to stare at nothing.

Weird. I never even noticed him leave. I wonder when he left…?

Lillian: “Hey, Franklin?”
Franklin: “Hm?”
Lillian: “Since we’re gonna be the ones getting stuck with Lemmy, when do you want to swing by and grab him? You want to go straight to Temmie’s, or stop by your place first?”
Lillian: “They’re kind of on the opposite sides of town, so probably best to know where we’re going before school gets out.”

That’s true. Temmie’s home is to the South, while mine is to the North. It’d be more convenient to grab Lemmy first then, right? I can’t think of any reason why I shouldn’t, except maybe that it could be rude to make Temmie wait. But Temmie can see the future, so she probably knows exactly when I’ll come over.

Hmmm...
>>
No. 1040783 ID: e51896

Go to Temmie first. She might be able to give some advice
>>
No. 1040786 ID: 8483cf

Surprise Temmie by showing up earlier than you planned to- which is, you didn't plan to, so by showing up, you show up infinitely earlier.

Also lalalalalalala Temmie you can't hear this
>>
No. 1040798 ID: a2d88b

Where does Roger live? We need to grab some disguise before we pick up lemmy either way.
>>
No. 1040801 ID: 84cd4c

Ah, man, Clive dipped... Or did he? I dunno if it's smart to bring attention to it or not, but if he's still around, then...

I think you should really double check with everyone where they plan on going before going yourselves, honestly.

Anyways, looks like I'm going against the grain here! I personally think that you should go get Lemmy first, since he's the unknown variable here, whereas Temmie is quite thoroughly established as waiting for you.

Although... Dumb idea: You could potentially see if Lillian's up for checking in with Temmie first while you deal with the Lemmy situation. Can't really do the opposite, simply 'Because Dad'.

Slightly less dumb idea: If the group's going to the Power Plant (Much to Clive's disappointment, I think...) they're going south anyways. They can probably afford the time loss of saying hi to Temmie as well. Who knows, she might have something important to tell them.

Sidenote: She probably doesn't expect this outcome either. That's why it's fun.
...Unless she hears everything you and the others hear? Dunno. Potentially wasted thought.
>>
No. 1040877 ID: 84cd4c

Just to be sure, I think I'll double down that you should make sure Clive's around before moving onto where everyone's going.
>>
No. 1040902 ID: 84cd4c

Ah, he left.
...Give him the space, I guess.
>>
No. 1041427 ID: 629f2e
File 166104280842.png - (129.04KB , 500x500 , 174.png )
1041427

> Where does Roger live? We need to grab some disguise before we pick up lemmy either way.

He’s in the homes close to the school, the townhouses not too far from here.

...Oh but his house is past the morgue. So to get to Lemmy first, we have to go to Roger’s, and then backtrack to my home. Maybe that’s not super convenient after all... If we came from Temmie’s, then we could go straight to Roger’s house and then to the morgue, no backtracking.

> Ah, man, Clive dipped... Or did he? I dunno if it's smart to bring attention to it or not, but if he's still around, then...
> Ah, he left. ...Give him the space, I guess.

Franklin: “...Hey Lillian, when did Clive leave?”
Lillian: “Huh?”

She mimics what you did, looking over to where he once was.

Lillian: “Huh... Don’t know. That kid’s slippery.”
Enid: “It was no more than a minute ago. I watched him get up and go.”
Franklin: “I must have been in my head instead of in my eyes when it happened.”

> Anyways, looks like I'm going against the grain here! I personally think that you should go get Lemmy first, since he's the unknown variable here, whereas Temmie is quite thoroughly established as waiting for you.
> Go to Temmie first. She might be able to give some advice
> Surprise Temmie by showing up earlier than you planned to- which is, you didn't plan to, so by showing up, you show up infinitely earlier.

Franklin: “...I think we should go to Temmie first. She did say after school.”
Franklin: “She can see the future, but she didn’t say ‘after you pick up Lemmy’. So she probably expects us to go straight there.”
Lillian: “...Wow. Just hit me, but Temmie told us Lemmy’d be at the morgue, and he actually was there.”
Lillian: “Does that mean she actually can see the future?”
Albert: “I wouldn’t be too sure about that. According to Clive, Rodney was certain that Temmie has some form of power, but future sight isn’t it.”
Roger: “Really? What else would it be?”
Franklin: “...Well, she can talk to Spirits. Maybe they’re telling her about the future?”

Surprisingly, Albert doesn’t completely disagree, only shrugging in response. Is that the answer? Are you guys telling Temmie what’ll happen?

...Wait, I can hear you too. Can you guys tell me what the future holds?

As I’m pondering that, the bell rings. Our discussion time was up.
>>
No. 1041428 ID: 629f2e
File 166104286357.png - (154.56KB , 500x500 , 175.png )
1041428

...

Lillian and I say our goodbyes to the others as they’re grouping up by the gates. We start walking through the forest straight towards Temmie’s house on the other side of town.

It’s a little weird that we can’t just walk there with her, since we’re going to the same place. I asked her about it during recess but all she said was:

“I think it would be better for The Alien to enjoy his walk instead of joining me. I never get to, and I wouldn’t want to share that with him.”

I think I know what she was talking about. Some of the younger kids have their parents pick them up, and Temmie is one of them. Sure enough, when class was letting out I saw Temmie leaving with a very dad-looking-dad. We stayed behind to talk to the others and make sure everyone was on the same page.

Lillian: “Any clue why Temmie wanted to hang out? I didn’t think you two were close.”
Franklin: “...I dunno. Future reasons?”
Lillian: “Maybe. But that just sounds like more investigation junk. Was kind of hoping it actually would just be a break, y’know?”
Lillian: “I mean, I definitely want to get Phillip back, as soon as possible. But it’d be nice if it’d just happen without all this Work.
Franklin: “Yeah... But when it’s done, we can take a big break I think.”
Lillian: “Phillip can do my chores for the next week, he’ll owe me one!”
Franklin: “He’ll probably be too busy setting up his next session of that game you guys play that I don’t really get.”
Lillian: “Crud, you’re right. We won’t see him for a whole week while he holes up in his bed writing character sheets for seventy-billion random characters!”
Franklin: “I won’t be free until Jhonen makes up for lost time on all the experiments he wants to run on me.”
Lillian: “I think you’re being pretty optimistic if you think a week will be enough to calm him down.”

The casual conversation was nice. We didn’t get too much of this yesterday, with Lillian being in an awful mood. And then at the sleepover she was kind of tense for a lot of it. It’s good to see her more relaxed after that awful day.

Lillian: “...”

...Aw crud.

Lillian: “Hey, Franklin?”
Franklin: “...Yes?”
Lillian: “I’ve never actually met your mom. Is she crazy, like your dad?”
Franklin: “I’m sure that if she’s crazy, it’s in her own way.”
Lillian: “Oh yeah? What’s that like?”
Franklin: “Um... I dunno. She’s sick, so I don’t get to see her.”
Lillian: “I don’t mean right now. She hasn’t always been sick, right? What was she like before then?”
Franklin: “Hmmm...”

Before mom was sick. That was...

...

Franklin: “...”
Lillian: “Uh, Franklin?”
Franklin: “I dunno... She hasn’t been sick forever I guess, but...”

My head hurts. I’m trying to remember what she was like, but it’s hard. She’s been sick as far as I can remember clearly, but I know that she wasn’t in the fuzzier parts of my memory.

Franklin: “Mom was... nice?”
Lillian: “Are you asking me?”
Franklin: “...No? Maybe?”
Franklin: “I dunno. She’s been sick for so long, all the memories from when she was healthy must have Spilled Out.
Franklin: “I think she was nice though. Maybe... she had some weird interests? And... she used to stay home and watch over me.”
Franklin: “Those were... Happy memories. I’m... actually sure about it.”
Lillian: “I want you to know that I was really trying to shoot you a softball there. Nice and easy question.”
Franklin: “Oh. Thank you for trying?”
Lillian: “...I worry about you.”

She’s probably right to. I’m sort of a mess.
>>
No. 1041429 ID: 629f2e
File 166104291971.png - (108.26KB , 500x500 , 176.png )
1041429

As we reach the Field, a few kids who had been walking the same path change course to start playing. I see Able plant himself in a sunspot and lie down, as well as the Cortez brothers having a spirited debate about a character from a comic I’ve never read while kicking a ball around.

Lillian is just oozing with temptation to join their game, so I grab her hand to keep her on course. Temmie is waiting for us. There will be time to play games later.

Passing through the park does not help her temptation at all.

Eventually however, we arrive at the houses on the Southern side of town. I’m immediately struck with the realization that I have not been here at all in the past few days. Judging by Lillian’s reaction, she hasn’t either.

Hearing “The Anderson house burnt down” and seeing the wreckage of a destroyed home are completely different experiences. Honestly, it was in better shape than I thought. The house was still standing if nothing else. We could probably go inside still, but I don’t think that’d be a very good idea. It seems like the kind of thing where even trying it will get adults to yell at you for a while.

Lillian: “...Enid has it worse than any of us, doesn’t she?”
Franklin: “What do you mean?”
Lillian: “Well, you lost your friend, and I lost my brother, but they’re both still Alive. They’re just not here.
Lillian: “But Enid’s dad is Dead. No matter how much we investigate, she’s not going to save him. There’s no taking that back.”
Franklin: “...Yeah.”

Living in a morgue, death is something you get acquainted with. People die. It’s part of life, the last part of it. Dad doesn’t think that it’s something awful, just that it’s a thing that happens. Neither good nor evil.

...I think he might be wrong about that part. Death is actually Terrible. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

...
>>
No. 1041430 ID: 629f2e
File 166104295078.png - (113.11KB , 500x500 , 177.png )
1041430

We both take a moment to reflect before walking away from the house, towards the Butler household.

I’m expecting Temmie to be waiting at the door, so that she can open it before I can even knock and say “I’ve been expecting you”. I think I may be spending too much time with show-offs though, because it’s just her dad who answers.

Mr. Butler: “Ah, we’ve been expecting you.”

...Well, I was close.

Mr. Butler: “Oh wait, there are two of you? Temmie only mentioned Franklin coming over.”
Lillian: “Franklin can’t be left alone, so I was walking him over here.”
Mr. Butler: “I see. So will you be staying then?”
Temmie: “She will Not be.”

Mr. Butler steps back to reveal his daughter had appeared behind him.

Lillian: “Huh?”
Temmie: “Apologies, but I wanted to play with Franklin, and my game is only two-players.”
Lillian: “Franklin, didn’t you tell her I was coming over during recess?”

Hmm... I’m pretty sure that I Did tell Temmie. Even if I didn’t you guys would have told her about Lillian, right? So she definitely should have known. So why didn’t she say anything then?

...Uh oh, she’s giving me a look. She wants something from me, but I’m totally confused. What should I say?
>>
No. 1041432 ID: 7b75ea

Pretty sure Temmie is stating a future, not professing surprise. She may have known Lillian is coming, but also knows that she Won't be staying.

And if it's not that, then Temmie just seems to think it's important that you two meet Alone together. Maybe explain to Lillian that when Temmie states something, it's usually best to just play along, even if you think it's not correct.
>>
No. 1041434 ID: e51896

>Hmm... I’m pretty sure that I Did tell Temmie. Even if I didn’t you guys would have told her about Lillian, right? So she definitely should have known. So why didn’t she say anything then?

Well, we didn't see you talk to her... but that probably doesn't mean it didn't happen. We must have time skipped... or to make things simpler for you, we must have went dormant and fallen asleep from the time you left the cafeteria to when you went to the school gate after school. Just like how we didn't talk to you from the end of yesterday, to the time you left for school today...

And well... while it is true we talk to Temmie, we only really talk to her like, before her bed time. Otherwise, we're normally sent to stick with one, or this case, two people to help them.

But maybe Temmie has a different kind of spirit she talks to? Who knows...

Well, in that case, Whisper to Lilian, and ask her to go to Roger's place and get a costume for Lemmy. Should save time that way. You'll both meet up at the morgue after you both are finished.

and... I know you guys call each other by nicknames, like you're "the alien", Roger is "the artist" (maybe soon to be known as "the batter")... Ask Temmie if she knows who "The Storyteller" is once you're alone with her. You might not know, but it's a name we spirits are familiar with. Just want to see her reaction out of morbid curiosity.
>>
No. 1041436 ID: 84cd4c

> Hearing “The Anderson house burnt down” and seeing the wreckage of a destroyed home are completely different experiences.
I'm... incredibly thankful we didn't end up bringing Enid. Her Fear probably would have skyrocketed. Wait, it still might if the group comes by. That's a bit worrying.

> “She will Not be (staying).”
> Why didn’t she say anything then?
Well, if my intuition is right, I think this just means that whatever Temmie has to say, she doesn't want Lillian hearing about it. At the very least, you've arrived safe and sound.

The "Game" being "Two Player" might mean that whatever activity that will be occurring isn't possible for Lillian to participate in, which may or may not have something to do with being able to hear our voices.
(...Wait a minute. I just lost The Game... Please ignore this.)

Take the hint and go with the flow, I guess. You could also say "She isn't staying for long, anyways-" which is a safe middle ground between the point of Lillian coming along and Temmie's declaration.

If Lillian's against leaving early, you can bring up that you aren't alone now, so it should be fine. Plus, there's stuff to take care of, right?
She could also join in on that game we passed by, if she feels like she's missing out on the festivities.
>>
No. 1041437 ID: e51896

While I still think we should split from Lilian for now... if she REALLY wants to come in, if just for a tiny moment, maybe quietly ask if she has 25 cents to get her fortune read by Temmie. Just a thought, but I think just letting Lilian take care of getting a costume while you finish your playtime with Temmie will be best for now.
>>
No. 1042091 ID: 629f2e
File 166172855855.png - (149.44KB , 500x500 , 184.png )
1042091

> Well, in that case, Whisper to Lilian, and ask her to go to Roger's place and get a costume for Lemmy. Should save time that way. You'll both meet up at the morgue after you both are finished.

That’s only going to work if you can get Temmie to walk me home. If I have to go alone, then doesn’t that defeat the point of bringing Lillian with me in the first place?

> Take the hint and go with the flow, I guess. You could also say "She isn't staying for long, anyways-" which is a safe middle ground between the point of Lillian coming along and Temmie's declaration.
> Pretty sure Temmie is stating a future, not professing surprise. She may have known Lillian is coming, but also knows that she Won't be staying.

...Isn’t that the same thing? She can’t leave before I do, so she’s going to be here for however long I am.

> And if it's not that, then Temmie just seems to think it's important that you two meet Alone together. Maybe explain to Lillian that when Temmie states something, it's usually best to just play along, even if you think it's not correct.

Wait, so which is it? Do I make Lillian Go, or tell her to Play Along?

Making her leave doesn’t sound right, but... I guess if most of you are saying it, then maybe I’m just... wrong? I have to say something, so...

Franklin: “She-”

I can barely get that one word out before Temmie shoots me a look of frustration. Her face is just screaming “wrong answer” at me, so I stop talking.

Lillian: “...Franklin?”
Franklin: “Huh? ...Oh, I guess... I dunno-”

Temmie silently sighs, before speaking up.

Temmie: “Forgive me, but the error is mine I think. Franklin may have mentioned you, but I was distracted and wasn’t listening closely when he said it.”
Mr. Butler: “Well, maybe you can play a different game then? One that the three of you can enjoy together.”
Temmie: “No. I don’t want to.”
Mr. Butler: “Ah, Tem sweetheart? You can see how Lillian will feel left out if you don’t adjust to fit her in, right? It’s a little bit rude.”
Temmie: “I invited Franklin to play this game. I won’t play anything else.”
Lillian: “Whatever. Could’a said something sooner since you knew I’d be here. See the future my butt...
Lillian: “Guess I’ll just watch you guys play. Real thrilling stuff.”
Temmie: “It’s very unfortunate that this is the case, but it cannot be helped that you are here now.”

Temmie steps out, and shakes Lillian’s hand.

Temmie: “I’m very sorry for not considering your presence. You are free to watch television in the living room while Franklin and I play. I promise not to keep you waiting for too long.”
Temmie: “You don’t mind, do you?”

There’s a moment where Lillian’s annoyed, before something visibly clicks for her all at once. Maybe she can explain whatever it is to me, I’m still confused.

Lillian: “Yeah... That’s fine by me. Just don’t take too long, okay?”
Temmie: “It’s a promise.”
Mr. Butler: “...As long as everybody’s happy.”
Temmie: “Franklin, come with me.”
Franklin: “Oh, okay.”
>>
No. 1042093 ID: 629f2e
File 166172863850.png - (159.85KB , 500x500 , 185.png )
1042093

She grabs my hand and starts walking me upstairs. I hear Lillian walk inside, and Mr. Butler follows right behind me. As we reach some doors, Temmie gestures for me to step inside one. It looks like a mostly normal bedroom, save a big salt circle on the floor.

When I turn back, Temmie is still outside talking to her father.

Mr. Butler: “You know the rules, right? The door stays open, no whispering, no drawing-”
Temmie: “I know, I know... Can I play with him now?”
Mr. Butler: “Of course sweetie. You have fun!”

Temmie smiles in a way that looks fake, and steps inside. I hear her dad start to move, and then... stop. He didn’t walk anywhere, he just sits down by the open door. In fact, I can still see him, watching me watch him.

Franklin: “...”
Mr. Butler: “...”

I give him a wave. He waves back.

...

...This is really awkward.

Temmie: “Ignore him. His presence is nothing more than a distraction.”
Franklin: “Okay, but is he gonna-”
Temmie: “He will be there the whole time. Get used to it.”
Franklin: “Oh. Why?”
Temmie: “Because his heart just breaks if he’s away from me for any amount of time. He’s so fragile.”
Franklin: “Really? ...How come I’ve never seen him at school then?”
Temmie: “Are you sure you’ve never seen him there?”


I’m almost certain that I haven’t seen him around school, but almost certain means not actually certain, so I guess it’s possible he was there somewhere.

> I know you guys call each other by nicknames, like you're "the alien", Roger is "the artist" (maybe soon to be known as "the batter")... Ask Temmie if she knows who "The Storyteller" is once you're alone with her. You might not know, but it's a name we spirits are familiar with. Just want to see her reaction out of morbid curiosity.

I look back at her dad, still there. We aren’t really alone yet, so I’ll have to wait on that one.
>>
No. 1042094 ID: 629f2e
File 166172867408.png - (153.32KB , 500x500 , 186.png )
1042094

Temmie: “Don’t worry about him. Let’s begin our game.”
Franklin: “Okay. So what did you want to play?”
Temmie: “Golem.

...I have no idea what that game is, or even what the word means.

Franklin: “...What’s a golem?”
Temmie: “A golem is like a robot, except instead of science they’re powered by arcane forces. I’m a witch, and I want you to be my golem for this game.”
Franklin: “What do golems do?”
Temmie: “Whatever they are told to do.”
Franklin: “...Is this a trick to make me do your chores?”
Temmie: “It is not. May we begin.”
Franklin: “Alright. So what do I do first?”
Temmie: “Why don’t I use my Mystical Powers to control you first. Come up with your own orders, keep them to yourself, and I’ll tell you whether or not to follow them.”
Temmie: “Naturally, I’ll know what they are and choose appropriately.”

She winks at me as she says it. It seems like I’m going to have to get creative for this game.

Let’s see... What could I do first?
>>
No. 1042097 ID: 8483cf

The orders are "we're gonna play Monopoly now."

Proceed to forget about Golem, which is really just an excuse to play Monopoly
>>
No. 1042099 ID: e5709d

Let's mess with this control freak.
Load up the following orders into your stack:

Enhance Knockers
Devour Greyzone
Make Dancypants Mad At You
What Does The Fox Say
Meme Nuke

No, I'm not going to tell you what they mean.
>>
No. 1042103 ID: e51896

Oh wait, I think I get it now!
This is Temmie's sneaky way of giving us advice on what to do without her dad listening in. She'll hear us spirits tell you what to do in your head, and we can follow them based off of what she says to help your cause! But we will also have to give some silly orders too so we're not just sitting there and hearing Temmie say "yes" or "no" all the time to our questions and make her father suspicious, like thinking "should I pet this plush toy" along with thinking of questions like what to do with Lemmy, or what place to hide him or something.

I'll think this over for a bit.
>>
No. 1042105 ID: 84cd4c

Hmm. I have a feeling that we just had a denseheaded moment caused by overthinking. I still feel like we missed something important.

>What could I do first?
Escape! The salt is a mortal danger for us! ...I kid, it probably isn't. Spirits and slugs aren't the same thing, right?
However, I imagine it's not there entirely just for show, though. To my knowledge, it's often seen as a "Spiritual Warding Barrier" of sorts? Something like that.

Anyways...

>Play Monopoly
And get salt all over the board???

My two suggestions are;
"Can you hear us?" - which is regrettably, not an order-
followed by 'Do something you wouldn't do' -- such as, say, revealing your neck. If Temmie says yes to this and doesn't respect your boundary here, then something's gone terribly wrong. Thankfully, with the pretext of this being a game, and her dad watching, you can just say no and move on.

...That's a lot of words. Sorry.
>>
No. 1042106 ID: bbb04b

Order: "Hop up and down."
Order: "Punch me."
Order: "Move Lemmy elsewhere today."
Order: "Get a disguise for Lemmy from the store."
Order: "Do a little jig."
Order: "Get a disguise for Lemmy from Roger's house."
Order: "Break into the highschool."
Order: "Break into the recycling center."
Order: "Hug one of my plushies."
Order: "Hug me."
Order(?): "Can ANY of the adults be trusted?"
Order: "Sing a song."
Order: "Look into your father's lab."
Order: "Play patty-cake with me."
>>
No. 1042140 ID: 2ca3ce

>>1042103
>>1042106

Yeah these two get it, use this opportunity to ask about stuff you wanted to do but maybe were worried about.

so the obveous ones about breaking in are "orders" you should have.

One order you should do is ask her dad if he wants to play too, she'll likely say no, but he's there and it'd be certainly in your wheelhouse to ask him to play even if Temmie's being weird rn.

And I mean I guess this is Temmie's way of like letting us know stuff while you can also hear, so uh Hey Temmie, of our friends, who should we spend more time with?

Order: Spend time with Albert
Order: Spend time with Enid
Order: Spend time with Lillian
Order: Spend time with no one
Order: Spend time with Clive
Order: Spend time with your mom?

I have no idea if this'll work but yknow, spaghetti and the wall and all that
>>
No. 1042570 ID: e51896

Oh yeah, should probably give you fake commands for the questions we ask Temmie, sooooo

Order: "Move Lemmy elsewhere today." hop on one foot if yes
Order: "Get a disguise for Lemmy from the store." Somersault if yes
Order: "Get a disguise for Lemmy from Roger's house." Try to tuck your head into your turtleneck, like Fred Flinstone sometimes does if yes
Order: "Break into the highschool." Burp if yes
Order: "Break into the recycling center." Give Temmie a high five if yes
Order(?): "Can ANY of the adults be trusted?" Grab Temmie's blanket and cover yourself with it if yes
Order: "Look into your father's lab." turn off the light if yes
Order: Spend time with Albert, stick out your tongue if yes
Order: Spend time with Enid, rest your head on Temmie's pillow if yes
Order: Spend time with Lillian, brush Temmie's hair if yes
Order: Spend time with no one, make a plush toy dance if yes
Order: Spend time with Clive, yell if yes
Order: Spend time with your mom? uhhhh, lets not ask that one, but if you must ask, then shake like your shivering if yes
>>
No. 1043019 ID: 629f2e
File 166241496755.png - (138.28KB , 500x500 , 190.png )
1043019

> The orders are "we're gonna play Monopoly now." Proceed to forget about Golem, which is really just an excuse to play Monopoly

That seems kind of rude. Temmie was really insistent that we play Golem, so I don’t think she’d want me to change the game like that. At least not on the very first command. Maybe later, when we’re bored of Golem.

Temmie: “Hmmm, I see. Yes, I think that I will reject that order. Think of something better than that next time.”
Franklin: “Huh? Did you really hear that?”
Temmie: “Of course I did! My mystical powers allow me to see into your soul.”
Franklin: “Wow... What’s it look like?”
Temmie: “It’s... indescribable.”

I try to imagine what a soul would look like. Her description sounds right. I guess I kind of knew she had powers already, since you guys told me she could talk to you, so maybe that isn’t very surprising at all.

Wait, do I have powers? I can talk to you, that’s kind of a power, right? Or would being able to talk to me be a power for you guys?

Hmmmmmm...

> One order you should do is ask her dad if he wants to play too, she'll likely say no, but he's there and it'd be certainly in your wheelhouse to ask him to play even if Temmie's being weird rn.

Temmie: “No.

There’s a clear disgust in that “no”. I don’t wanna fight it at all. Sorry Temmie’s dad, but you don’t get to play. Besides, if we could have three players, I would have invited Lillian first.

> Oh wait, I think I get it now! This is Temmie's sneaky way of giving us advice on what to do without her dad listening in. She'll hear us spirits tell you what to do in your head, and we can follow them based off of what she says to help your cause!
> Yeah these two get it, use this opportunity to ask about stuff you wanted to do but maybe were worried about.

Is that why we’re playing this? If she wanted to answer questions without her dad hearing though, why wouldn’t she just do it at school? Maybe he really is there and I haven’t been paying enough attention...

Also, doesn’t she usually charge people to ask questions? I have my allowance, but I would have brought a lot more if I knew this is what we were gonna be doing.

>But we will also have to give some silly orders too so we're not just sitting there and hearing Temmie say "yes" or "no" all the time to our questions and make her father suspicious, like thinking "should I pet this plush toy" along with thinking of questions like what to do with Lemmy, or what place to hide him or something.
> Oh yeah, should probably give you fake commands for the questions we ask Temmie

Okay... I think I follow.

So you’re going to say a question and an order, and then Temmie will answer the question, and I do the order if the answer is yes? That doesn’t sound too complicated. It could even be fun!

> “Can you hear us?”
> “Hop up and down.”

Temmie: “I see... Yes. I approve of this one. Please perform your task, golem!”

Not wanting to disappoint, I start bouncing in place. Up and down and up and down... Temmie smiles, so I must have done the right thing.

That confirms it without a doubt: Temmie can definitely hear you.

> "Break into the highschool.”
> "Sing a song."

Temmie: “Hmm. You can’t really do that alone.”

Huh? Of course I can- Oh. The highschool part, not the singing.

Franklin: “I... guess not.”
Temmie: “No, I think you would need at least Five other kids for that.”

That’s her way of saying to bring everyone I think. Guess I won’t be going there with just Lillian and Lemmy today. I wasn’t planning to, but it definitely isn’t happening now.

> “Break into the recycling center.”
> "Hug one of my plushies."

Temmie shrugs.

Temmie: “If you want to, then go ahead.”

Hmm. So it’s yes, but only kind of? I only have to do it if I want to, so that means I don’t Have to? I’m not entirely sure how I feel about visiting the recycling center, but I actually would like to hug one of her toys. She has a lot of good ones, nice and soft, lots of pretty designs.

I pick up a small flower character in glasses and squeeze it tightly. It’s nice...

> “Can ANY of the adults be trusted?”
> "Punch me."

Temmie’s expression seems strongly conflicted on this one.

Temmie: “...I don’t like that order at all.”
Franklin: “So... No?”
Temmie: “...Just think of a different one.”

...I don’t know if the answer was just no because she didn’t want to get punched, or because the answer is really no.
>>
No. 1043025 ID: 629f2e
File 166241531740.png - (141.74KB , 500x500 , 191.png )
1043025

> “Look into your father's lab.”
> "Play patty-cake with me."

Wait, neither of those are questions. You gave the lab one first though, so is the question “Should I look in my dad’s lab”? If so, I already know the answer: I Can’t. I’m not allowed to go in there, it’s a Restricted Area at home. Dad would bury me alive, wait for me to untomb myself, and then ground me if I broke that rule.

Temmie: “...When you’re ready.”
Franklin: “Huh?”

What does that mean? When I’m ready... I’m not the issue here, it’s just one of dad’s rules.

Temmie holds up her hands, beckoning me forward. I hesitate, because I can’t agree with her answer. In the end, I approach her anyway. I don’t want to just be standing here and making her dad suspicious. I put my hands up and clap them against Temmie’s as ordered.

Even as we finish, I don’t know what to think about it. So I decide to stop thinking about it and just move on.

> “Get a disguise for Lemmy from Roger's house.”
> “Try to tuck your head into your turtleneck, like Fred Flinstone”

Weren’t we already going to do that?

Temmie just nods, so I pull my turtleneck over my head.

> Hey Temmie, of our friends, who should we spend more time with?
> “Spend time with Albert”
> “Give Temmie a high five if yes”

> “Spend time with Enid”
> “Rest your head on Temmie's pillow if yes”

> “Spend time with Lillian”
> “Brush Temmie's hair if yes”

> “Spend time with Clive”
> “Yell if yes”

Temmie: “You’re thinking about too many at once, aren’t you?”
Franklin: “Ah, sorry. Are any of those good though?”
Temmie: “Well... None of them are bad.
Temmie: “Do whichever one you liked the most. That is my order.”

...Wait, do I do the action that I liked the most, or spend time with whoever I want to then? Hmm... I guess I’m going to be spending time with Lillian, she’s cool. But should I pick somebody else since I already spent yesterday and now today with her? Enid is nice also, I really would like to hang out with her since we haven’t had a chance to yet. I haven’t spent any time with Clive either though, because he’s scary, but also he’s part of our group now so maybe I should? And what about Albert? He was at my sleepover last night, but we really didn’t spend much time alone except when we went to Lillian’s house. But should I prioritize hanging out with Enid, because I’ve known her for the least amount of time?

...I can’t choose. Maybe we should just have another sleepover, with everybody over this time. Would dad let me have two in a row? I’ve never tried to ask for that, so it’s not impossible...

Temmie: “...I don’t remember any of those orders being “do nothing”.”
Franklin: “...Huh? Oh! Right, the game.”
Franklin: “...What order was I doing again?”

> “Spend time with your mom?”
> "Hug me."

No, that would make her get sicker. Definitely not doing that one.

Temmie: “Forget the last bunch. Just do the one you thought of now.”
Franklin: “...Oh. I can’t do that.”
Temmie: “Yes you can. It’s easy.”
Franklin: “I mean... It’s easy to do, but I shouldn’t do it.”
Temmie: “I’m sure that’s not true.”
Franklin: “No, it is. That’s a bad order, and I don’t want to do it.”
Temmie: “...”
Mr. Butler: “Why don’t you move on to a different order now, Tem?”
Temmie: “No. I think that’s enough Golem for now. Let’s play something else.”

She sounds disappointed, but when I meet her gaze it just looks... Sad? Like she feels bad for me. I guess that’s understandable, with mom being sick and all.

Mr. Butler: “Want to grab your other friend for this next game?”
Temmie: “No, I don’t think Lillian would like it. I’ll leave her to whatever she’s watching, and send Franklin back to her when we’re done.”
Mr. Butler: “Well, as long as you’re being considerate-”
>>
No. 1043026 ID: 629f2e
File 166241537595.png - (150.84KB , 500x500 , 192.png )
1043026

CRASH!

He’s interrupted mid-sentence as the sound of glass breaking erupts from downstairs.

Mr. Butler: “The hell!? What was that!?”
>>
No. 1043027 ID: 629f2e
File 166241539420.png - (175.47KB , 500x500 , 193.png )
1043027

Pretty quickly for a large guy, Mr. Butler gets up and starts to race towards the staircase. I move to follow, but Temmie holds me back.

Temmie: “Shhhhh.
Temmie: “That should buy us a minute. Let’s talk for real now.”
>>
No. 1043034 ID: 8483cf

Real talk time. What on earth is going on with graduation, and what have other spirits told Temmie? What role does Temmie's dad have in keeping the secret?
>>
No. 1043035 ID: 84cd4c

As curious as I am to what happened down there, we'll know soon enough.
>>
No. 1043087 ID: 0838d6

So I know we can't just directly ask Temmie for the answer, otherwise she'd have already told us. So instead, is there something you can do to help us convince Franklin that there are some things he should investigate even if he innately feels uncomfortable about it.

It appears he has some sort of mental block towards... certain topics, blatantly rejecting our advances due to inborn *rules*, when opening a door could reveal a lot to assist us in the overarching mystery and save the most lives.

Also, its heavily implied, at least from how other people talk, that certain events have occured that Franklin doesen't know about or refuses to believe are real, and I don't want to hurt or break franklin, but I do want to help him and also help the other kids.

(and also help Jhonen)
>>
No. 1043224 ID: 96f15a

Fortune telling time? I dont think Franklin can afford it though.
Franklin's fear skyrocketed last night. Before he considers doing the thing he doesnt want to do from that order, or answer hard questions, what can he do to ease his fears, and ease him in those directions...

I will say, respect for Lilian for tackling this issue carefully and patiently.
>>
No. 1043225 ID: 96f15a

Also, is there anything you want to say about Clive, Temmie?
>>
No. 1043389 ID: 629f2e
File 166283152692.png - (202.19KB , 500x500 , 194.png )
1043389

> Real talk time.
> As curious as I am to what happened down there, we'll know soon enough.
> Fortune telling time? I don’t think Franklin can afford it though.

Temmie: “Don’t worry. I won’t ask for quarters this time.”
Franklin: “Really? Why not?”
Temmie: “Sorry, but we don’t have time. He’ll realize he left us alone soon, so we have to do this quickly.”

There’s something different about the way she’s talking now. It’s more... Honest? Before, she was kind of talking in a way she normally doesn’t. It really emphasizes how much it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off the atmosphere with her dad leaving.

She thinks this is urgent though, so I’ll try not to slow things down. I nod in agreement, and she continues.

Temmie: “I’m going to offer you a Deal.
Franklin: “...Like, a discount?”
Temmie: “No. It’s more along the lines of a Promise.
Temmie: “I need a favor from you, something that I am incapable of doing by myself. I’m fine for now, but I’ll need this from you in a few days.”
Temmie: “If you promise to keep up your end when it matters, then I will let you ask me Two Questions right here and now.”
Franklin: “Two... Um, what do you need?”

Temmie tilts her head down, smiling sadly to herself.

Temmie: “In the final act of your story, I will have already spent what little usefulness I could offer to you and your friends. At that time, I will have Nothing left to give.”
Temmie: “I’d like you to promise that no matter how little help I can be, or how much time it will cost you at a Critical Juncture, you will still come back for me at the end.”

At the end? The end of what?

Franklin: “I... don’t really understand.”
Temmie: “You will when it matters. So, will you agree to my terms?”

She extends her hand out to me. I’m glad that she thinks I’ll get it eventually, because I really don’t right now.

It’s definitely something important, and I can tell that this was hard for her to ask from how she’s acting. Maybe she’s like Albert, and isn’t good at asking for help? I never have that problem, probably because I need help all the time! Even if I don’t know what it’s for, I have a good feeling that this is the right answer. I shake her hand.

Franklin: “Okay. I don’t mind helping you.”
Temmie: “...Thank you.”

She finally looks back up, wearing a happier smile than a moment ago.

Temmie: “Now then, what will you ask of me?”
Franklin: “Oh... I didn’t think of anything.”
Temmie: “You don’t need to put too much thought into it. I’m sure that you’ve carried a few questions in your mind for some time now. Simply ask, and I will guide you towards the answers.”

Something that I’ve been wondering for a long time? Hmm...

Franklin: “Hmm...”
Franklin: “...Mmmnnnnn”
Temmie: “...I don’t mean to rush you, but time is of the essence here-”
Franklin: “Oh! I’ve got one!”
Franklin: “Can you tell me about Judy? How come nobody else remembers her? I’m sure she was around before?”

Her grin widens, and she begins chuckling lightly.

Temmie: “I had a feeling that was what you were going to ask.”
Franklin: “Don’t you mean a premonition?”
Temmie: “Not really. Just a strong hunch.”
Temmie: “I know all about the person you speak of, and I know the answer to your question.”
Franklin: “You do? Wow! So then-”
Temmie: “Sorry, but I won’t say.”
Franklin: “Oh...”

That is... very disappointing.

Franklin: “Wait, then why did you tell me to ask questions if you weren’t going to answer them?”
Temmie: “There’s a reason. I can’t tell you outright, and you would never accept the truth even if I did. I can, however, give you the tools to learn for yourself.”
Franklin: “Oh. Ohhh, are you going to give a cryptic Fortune?
Temmie: “See? You learn quickly, so this will be more than enough for you.”
>>
No. 1043391 ID: 629f2e
File 166283156904.png - (132.04KB , 500x500 , 195.png )
1043391

She takes a deep breath, and suddenly I’m giving her my full attention. Not that I was ignoring her before, but the tone in her voice just demands that I listen really close.

“I request your full attention. Should the Alien from another world wish to find what he’s lost, he will have to remember these words well.”

“In the opening act, only two had read the script. In act two, the plot was deduced, and the number who knew became three. Now in the third act, the number has dropped to two once more. It is up to you to raise this number any higher.”

“Your Faith has many times been misplaced, and yet I will ask you to carry it once more. All roads will lead you back to me, yet the journey will change in many ways.”

“Three guides stand at the start of each road, each showing their worst faces as you examine them. Shall you follow the Self-Centered, the Unreliable, or the Blind?

“One stares so deeply inward that they stray from the path laid out for you. Perhaps you are more the guide than the follower to them.”

“Another has never been one you could trust, always seeming to lead you astray. You will question who they truly are, and eventually come to know throughout your quest.”

“The last sees no path at all, but intuits the way forward based on assumptions and insights. To you, this option seems new, but in truth you have unknowingly trusted their guidance before.”

“Eventually, the show will end, the curtains will fall, and the actors will drop the charade. Strive not to get lost in the performance, lest you find yourself unable to face reality when the story concludes.

“This is the Past, the Present, and the Future as I have seen it.”

>>
No. 1043392 ID: 629f2e
File 166283160909.png - (138.89KB , 500x500 , 196.png )
1043392

...

I don’t get any of it yet, and I don’t think I’m supposed to, but that all sounded really cool! I have shivers. That was a really good one.

Franklin has lost 3 Fear. He feels oddly relaxed from the spooky fortune.

Party Fear Levels:
[Franklin: 46/100]


Franklin: “So, when I understand what that means, it’ll help me figure out what is going on with Judy?”
Temmie: “At the end of your journey, most of your questions should be answered.”
Franklin: “Most?
Temmie: “The world is full of mysteries. Not all of them wish to be solved.”

Temmie: “Our time is running out. What is your second question?”
Franklin: “Huh? Oh, right. Hmm..-”
Temmie: “We really don’t have that much time. May I make a suggestion?”
Temmie: “Consult with the spirits of Cattenom, and ask their opinions. Then go with whatever sounds best to you.”
Franklin: “That could work. They have a lot of interesting things to say.”

> What on earth is going on with graduation, and what have other spirits told Temmie? What role does Temmie's dad have in keeping the secret?

Temmie: “To the spirits, please keep in mind: I cannot give you direct answers. The larger the question you ask, the less clear the path to uncovering the truth will be.”

> So I know we can't just directly ask Temmie for the answer, otherwise she'd have already told us. So instead, is there something you can do to help us convince Franklin that there are some things he should investigate even if he innately feels uncomfortable about it.
> Franklin's fear skyrocketed last night. Before he considers doing the thing he doesn't want to do from that order, or answer hard questions, what can he do to ease his fears, and ease him in those directions...

Temmie: “You get one question. Will you use it to learn how best to guide Franklin?”

Well, you heard her. Think of something we should ask that isn’t too big, but would probably still be good to know.
>>
No. 1043395 ID: 5499f4

Sure, I'll double down, either how to guide franklin, or how to help improve his focus. Though if someone else has a good idea I'll hop onto that train.

I feel like our major goals with each kid has been to help them *START* to grow past their major insecurities or the things holding them back.

Dunno if we did a good job with Roger, but I think we did okay with Albert.
>>
No. 1043399 ID: 816d0b

I don't have a question to suggest; but when it comes to guides, I recommend the self-centered.
>>
No. 1043605 ID: 84cd4c

I'm very thankful for how time works here. I was sure to be very thorough.
I have a couple suggestions. Given the grab bag of a selection, fellow spirits- I think you should comment on them. "For" or "Against" is faster, but some of these may require actual discussion.

Narrow it down for Franklin, since they're short on time, unlike us.
I've sorted it from top to bottom based on how important I think they might be.

Important
-What is the connection between the Anderson Incident and the Nicolas Incident? (I have a hunch, but... Who knows. Also probably doesn't answer the 'Who'.)

-How can we guide Clive better? (I'm genuinely worried that we're not doing enough for him, so this is... valid. I think we're doing good with Franklin.)

-Who is in the most Danger? (This is like, immediately useful- as in Clive POV useful. However, it doesn't elucidate any mysteries.)
(I'd actually like to see how much Danger each person is individually, but... that feels like, overpowered? Hard to convey.)

-Temmie... what was the cost for gifting Franklin Hearing? (. . .)
(I hope you can feel the weight behind this stare you can't see.)

-How's Jolene? (If nothing sounds appealing, this is a throwaway question- the reasoning being we've only heard that she's sick and nothing else recently. Speaking extra frankly, we've invested a fair bit into her wellbeing, so it'd be nice to see her get her opportunity to shine where no one else can.)

-What Clive said to Rodney that night. (I'm against this, since it would distract Franklin, but... Genuinely useful.)

-Which Adults secretly oppose the High School? (Actually worded as a question- unhelpful if answer is 'none of them'.)

-About Jhonen (This is a sad question that only brings regret. I know I've laid the option out, but... Don't do it.)

Less Important(?)
-About Daniel Chamberlane, The Musician (??????)

-Mittens (...We can talk about this later, right?)

-About The Seer of Eyes (This might be something only Franklin can learn and understand, but is unlikely to be helpful.)
>>
No. 1043633 ID: 8483cf

>>1043605
I can make an educated guess that either Albert or Clive are in the most danger, with Albert being slightly higher. Mainly because Albert straight-up asked his dad about graduation, and who knows what he remembers, even when drugged up? Second, because he's been dodging his mom and eating "her" food. Clive is just acting suspicious, but Albert is actively acting against his parents, so we don't need to ask this question to know the answer.

I say that "what is the connection between the Anderson Incident and the Nicolas Incident?" is the best choice. Asking about connections allows Temmie to use allegories and similies that are more on-point than a normal fortune. Who knows, maybe she'll tell us a fable with characters oddly familiar but totally not people we know.
>>
No. 1044312 ID: 629f2e
File 166372219802.png - (235.67KB , 500x500 , 198.png )
1044312

> I don't have a question to suggest; but when it comes to guides, I recommend the self-centered.

Wait, was I supposed to read that fortune as it was said? Aren’t there some kind of hidden layers or something to it, the stuff she said meaning something else?

I don’t know who the “Self-Centered” one is. Even if you want me to, I can't really go along with it unless you figure it out.

> Sure, I'll double down, either how to guide Franklin, or how to help improve his focus. Though if someone else has a good idea I'll hop onto that train.

Ooh, improving my focus would be pretty nice. I bet my friends would appreciate-

Temmie: “I can’t help you with your focus. That’s sort of a mental issue, and I’m not any kind of brain doctor. Sorry, I dunno how you’d make that better.”
Franklin: “Oh.”

Darn, that would have been nice.

> How can we guide Clive better?
> Temmie... what was the cost for gifting Franklin Hearing?
> Who is in the most Danger?
> I can make an educated guess that either Albert or Clive are in the most danger, with Albert being slightly higher. Mainly because Albert straight-up asked his dad about graduation, and who knows what he remembers, even when drugged up?

Okay, we really need to decide. Can any of you agree on a question?

> What is the connection between the Anderson Incident and the Nicolas Incident?
> I say that "what is the connection between the Anderson Incident and the Nicolas Incident?" is the best choice. Asking about connections allows Temmie to use allegories and similes that are more on-point than a normal fortune. Who knows, maybe she'll tell us a fable with characters oddly familiar but totally not people we know.

Franklin: “Um... okay. I want to ask that one.”
Temmie: “Enid and Albert’s fathers? Interesting...”
Franklin: “Is that good? Can you tell me something about them?”
Temmie: “I may have something you’ll find interesting. Listen closely.”

“Regarding the black sheep and the philanthropist, you would be hard pressed finding two individuals in circumstances more Different. One reviled and at the lowest point of his existence, another loved by all and secretly blessed with the greatest joy life has to offer. And yet in the end, both meet with the same fate.”

“You ask the relation, and so that is what I tell. On the same day, two men had attempts made on their lives, by ones seeking Revenge. One, punished for sins they unknowingly supported, and the other for a betrayal that they willfully chose to enact.”

“The Genius shall come face to face with the truth of his father’s deeds on his own, your assistance does not factor. Regarding The Miracle’s father, those responsible intend to see his secrets buried. If you wish to know more, then few are better suited than you to investigate.”

“This is the Past, the Present, and the Future as I have seen it.”


It was shorter than the last, and equally tough to understand. Unfortunately, I don’t get any opportunity to ask questions, as the silence which had followed her fortune was broken all too quickly. Footsteps were rapidly coming up the stairs, far too loud to be Lillian’s.

Temmie: “Take this.”

She shoves a plush toy into my hands. I think it’s a Raggedy Andy, as it looks like one I’ve seen commercials for. The toy she’s holding is some sort of action figure in a trenchcoat, but its head was missing. As the steps stop ascending, she whispers one more command.
>>
No. 1044313 ID: 629f2e
File 166372224108.png - (162.88KB , 500x500 , 199.png )
1044313

Temmie: “Play along.
Temmie: “Bleh! My head! My blood! The blood pours everywhere! All the people get covered in it!”
Franklin: “...Oh no! The blood is supposed to be on the inside, not the out. Very bad!”

Temmie’s dad bursts into the doorway, panting for breath. You both pause, turning towards him.

Temmie: “Oh, I was wondering when you’d come back.”
Mr. Butler: “Why weren’t you following me!?”
Temmie: “Didn’t wanna.”
Mr. Butler: “You- We’ve- You can’t just- I-”
Temmie: “You didn’t say I had to follow you, and I didn’t want to go with you, so I just stayed here and played with Franklin.”
Franklin: “...I am Franklin.”
Mr. Butler: “...Sweetie, we’ve been over this. You Know you’re not supposed to be alone with anyone.”
Temmie: “Why not? It’s just Franklin.”
Franklin: “...I am just Franklin.”

If I just keep agreeing with whatever she says, I can’t mess up my part this time. Right?

Mr. Butler: “You know why! I know that you know better than this. You can’t-”
Temmie: “What was the noise by the way?”
Mr. Butler: “Huh?”
Franklin: “I also want to know what the noise was.”
Temmie: “It could have been somebody breaking in to hurt you, and me, and maybe Franklin too. It could happen. A lot of awful things have, Recently.
Temmie: “If it was something safe, you could have called me down. You didn’t though, so I wasn’t sure.”
Mr. Butler: “...It was nothing, just a broken window. Some kid must have picked a bad spot to play catch.”
Temmie: “That’s good. I’m really happy that it wasn’t some bad people that were coming in to hurt us.”
Mr. Butler: “Yeah, same...”

He seems a little calmer, but things are still tense. He- oh, yep, he’s definitely looking at me. I stare back at him.

Mr. Butler: “...What were you playing while I was gone?”
Franklin: “This game.”
Mr. Butler: “What’s it called?”

Oh no! Improvisation! I messed this up last time, what should I say?

Franklin: “...Andy.”
Mr. Butler: “What?’
Temmie: “What?
Franklin: “...We didn’t come up with a name for the game at the start, so I just named it. Andy.”
Franklin: “...Oh, because that’s the name of this character, I think.”
Temmie: “His name is whatever you want it to be.”
Franklin: “I like Andy.”
Temmie: “Then it’s Andy.”
Mr. Butler: “...”

Mr. Butler takes a deep breath, before exhaling. There’s a feeling of relief, as the tension seems to die down. Mostly.
>>
No. 1044314 ID: 629f2e
File 166372226257.png - (157.00KB , 500x500 , 200.png )
1044314

Mr. Butler: “Alright, well I’m gonna need to get that window fixed, so I’m sorry to say that this visit will have to end early.”
Temmie: “Okay. Thank you for coming over, Franklin.”
Franklin: “Thanks for inviting me.”

Unexpectedly, she wraps her arms around me in a tight Hug. I hadn’t really taken her to be so affectionate, but it feels pretty natural. It’s not forced, like how she talks to her dad.

Mr. Butler: “Hey hey hey, is something happening here? Do I need to start coming down hard as a father on this?”
Temmie: “Maybe you do. Maybe I’ve fallen head over heels in Love. What are you gonna do about it.”
Mr. Butler: “Well, it’s a good thing his father’s a mortician if that’s the case...”

Not liking the direction this conversation is going, I break away and quickly say my goodbyes to Temmie, before quickly getting out of there. Lillian is waiting downstairs by the door.

Lillian: “You done?”
Franklin: “Finished playing, and finished being threatened. We can leave.”
Lillian: “Wait, what?”

Lillian finds my near-death experience funny as I explain it to her on our way out. It made for some nice light conversation while we’re still in range of Mr. Butler. The conversation is more open once we get outside, walking away from the house towards Roger’s. Didn’t want to say anything while he was listening, since Temmie only started really talking once he was gone.

Franklin: “...So, what did you do while you were waiting?”
Lillian: “Smashed a window.”
Franklin: “Ohhhhhhhhh...”
Franklin: “...”
Franklin: “...”
Franklin: “Wait, what?”
>>
No. 1044333 ID: eb15a3

Check your pockets, franklin. I think Temmie put something in your pocket in the middle of that hug.
>>
No. 1044345 ID: 8483cf

Did the window deserve it?
>>
No. 1044350 ID: 22eda9

Checking your pockets wouldn't hurt.

I'm assuming that smashing the window was part of Temmie's plan, otherwise she wouldn't have had time for real talk™. I'm not sure if that means Lillian was in on it all along, or only when you got there... well, who knows.

Personally, I wouldn't dwell on it further than that, because that sorta thing would just feed into my trust issues. Don't grow up like me, Franklin.

I kind of want to take a crack at the fortunes, but I think it'd be better to hear your uninfluenced opinion on what they might mean.
...It's fine to include Lillian in on the theorizing, since she's done it before (without really knowing it was a fortune, I guess-) but maybe save that for like, either during the walk or sometime after where you two can't be heard, since it might raise people's suspicion.
>>
No. 1044415 ID: 398700

>>1044333
Wait on this until you're a bit further from the house, I don't trust Temmie's dad not to spy on us as we leave.
>>
No. 1044432 ID: 22eda9

>>1044415
Ditto. If he's got eyes in the back of his head, he probably has binoculars for them too.
>“Really? ...How come I’ve never seen him at school then?”
>“Are you sure you’ve never seen him there?”
>>
No. 1044859 ID: 629f2e
File 166424279389.png - (189.49KB , 500x500 , 203.png )
1044859

> Did the window deserve it?
> I'm assuming that smashing the window was part of Temmie's plan, otherwise she wouldn't have had time for real talk™. I'm not sure if that means Lillian was in on it all along, or only when you got there... well, who knows.

Oh, I guess that would make the most sense. But if Lillian knew she was supposed to do it, then why didn’t she tell me? I would have had more time to think about my questions if she did.

> Personally, I wouldn't dwell on it further than that, because that sorta thing would just feed into my trust issues.

I feel like I should at least ask. She just told me that she did it, so she must be okay with talking about it.

Franklin: “Why did you do that?”
Lillian: “Temmie asked me to.”
Franklin: “I thought you were gonna say that... So then, why didn’t you tell me about it before?”
Lillian: “I never had the chance. You were up in her room already.”
Franklin: “...Huh?”
Lillian: “Look, just check out this note she gave me.”

She holds a small piece of paper out to you. It has five simple sentences written in colored pencil really badly. Either Temmie’s handwriting is awful, or she couldn’t just write this in a normal way.

Wait 5 minutes
Go to backyard
Smash kitchen window
Run inside
Play innocent


Lillian: “She palmed it to me when we shook hands. Guess she really Did know I was coming, despite all that junk she said.”
Lillian: “I figured that there was some half-decent reason to the whole act, so I just went along and did what the note wanted.”
Franklin: “...Ohhh. That explains a lot, I think.”
Franklin: “If I have it right, Temmie wanted a distraction so that her dad would leave us alone, so we could talk without him hearing.”
Lillian: “I knew it! He was freaked out about the window, but the second he realized you guys weren’t there he forgot all about it and sprinted back upstairs!”

He definitely seemed upset that we were alone. Well, not like Angry, that doesn’t sound right. It was more like... Worried? He was shouting, but not really at Temmie or me for the most part. It was like, he wasn’t mad that Temmie did something she shouldn’t, but was just scared that it happened?

I kind of get it, and I kind of don’t. On the one hand, Temmie helped with our investigation. He’s an adult, so he probably wouldn’t like that. Is that why he watches her so much?

On the other hand though, she answered in a Temmie way, where she put the answers into riddles. The same thing she does at school, which she does openly.

...Then again, she probably isn’t getting many super serious questions from most kids, so maybe her parents don’t mind that? It’s just a lot to think about.
>>
No. 1044860 ID: 629f2e
File 166424281759.png - (98.76KB , 500x500 , 204.png )
1044860

> Checking your pockets wouldn't hurt.
> Check your pockets, franklin. I think Temmie put something in your pocket in the middle of that hug.

She did?

> Wait on this until you're a bit further from the house, I don't trust Temmie's dad not to spy on us as we leave.
> Ditto. If he's got eyes in the back of his head, he probably has binoculars for them too.

Ohhh, good point. Let’s get completely out of sight first.

Lillian: “So we’re heading to Roger’s to pick up that disguise for Lemmy, right? Wanna cut through the forest again?”
Franklin: “Hmm... Actually, can we go around? I like the beach road more.”
Lillian: “Fiiiine. Probably for the best. I don’t think I have the strength to not jump in if I see Martino and Floyd kicking that ball around. I’m not made of stone Franklin!”
Franklin: “We’ll be able to play normally e. Sooner or later, I think.”
Lillian: “I know. I’d just prefer sooner...”

I wait until the house is completely out of sight to put my hands in my pockets. My fingers brush against something! It’s... It’s...

...It’s just pants. There’s Nothing in them. Did I lose it, or was it really just a hug?
>>
No. 1044861 ID: 629f2e
File 166424285508.png - (133.64KB , 500x500 , 205.png )
1044861

Lillian: “So, what’d Temmie want to talk about anyways?”
Franklin: “Well... She let me ask for fortunes, and instead of paying with quarters she wanted me to promise something.”
Lillian: “What did she want?”
Franklin: “To not be Abandoned during the final act of my story.”
Lillian: “...The what?”
Franklin: “I dunno. Maybe the end of our investigation? Or right before I die? My story could be my whole life, like a biography.”
Lillian: “Let’s say investigation. I don’t wanna think about dying soon enough for that to come up.”
Franklin: “...Also, she mentioned that helping her might waste time at a critical juncture.
Lillian: “I’ve got another “what” coming your way. What’s a juncture?”

I shrug, having never heard the word before in my entire life, I think. That’s an Albert question, somebody remind me to ask him later. Or tell me what the word means if you’ve heard it.

Lillian: “Temmie’s pretty freaky, but in a cool way. And her fortunes did help us out yesterday. It wouldn’t be right to abandon her, promise or not.”
Franklin: “I agree.”
Lillian: “So what about those fortunes then? What’d you ask?”

It’s hard to remember exactly what Temmie said for them, but I repeat the fortunes as best as I can. Accidentally changing a word might change the meaning if I’m not careful!

Lillian: “You asked about Judy? Didn’t we already explain that she doesn’t exist?”
Franklin: “...I know it doesn’t make sense, but Temmie said she knew about her.”
Lillian: “That... That still doesn’t make sense. And nothing in that fortune made it clear.”
Franklin: “I don’t really understand it either. But... I want to understand, so that’s why I asked.”
Lillian: “...Y’know, I actually think I get the first bit at least.”

“...only two had read the script... the number who knew became three... the number has dropped to two once more.”

Lillian: “If it’s talking about Judy, then maybe it’s about how you and Temmie are the only two who know about her.”
Lillian: “Then, let’s say Jhonen found something out too, and he was the third. Since he graduated, it becomes just you two again.”

The numbers do add up if you think of it that way. But something seems off about that explanation.

Franklin: “...How would Jhonen find out about Judy though?”
Lillian: “Well... you know her, so maybe he found something while trying to look into you?”
Franklin: “Also, what’s that last point about “the end of the show” and “not getting lost” if it’s just about Judy?”
Lillian: “...I dunno! These fortunes are really dumb.”
Lillian: “I feel like I’m on the right track. Maybe I’ve just got the Topic wrong or something?”
Lillian: “I like my reasoning with Jhonen though, it’s gotta be something like that. What else could it mean?”
Franklin: “...Something else?”
Lillian: “I mean, yeah, maybe. I’m just gonna keep thinking it’s my thing though.”

I don’t think we’re going to get anything out of that one right now. Lillian agrees, and the conversation moves on to the other fortune.

Lillian: “That’s... pretty random. Why were you asking about Anderson and Albert’s dad?”
Franklin: “A voice in my head told me to.”
Lillian: “You mean your brain?”
Franklin: “No.”
Lillian: “...Anyways. What do you think that one means?”
Franklin: “Hmm... She said that I was better suited to investigate Enid’s dad, and that his secrets were gonna be buried...”
Franklin: “So maybe... I should look around back home at the Morgue?
Lillian: “Yeah... Yeah I think that makes sense! Alright, we got something out of that one. Nice!”
Lillian: “...How many of these are just gonna be “go look around Franklin’s house”?”
Franklin: “...Rule of three?”

We reach Roger’s house, and as expected there’s a bag containing articles of clothing by the door. I walk up and take it, before coming back to Lillian.

Franklin: “So, what do you want to do after we get this to Lemmy?”
Lillian: “...Not sure anything I Want to do is actually a good answer.”
Franklin: “Hmm... What should we do then?”
Lillian: “Investigate probably. The others went to the plant, so maybe we should... Check out the high school?”
Franklin: “...Temmie told me not to do that without everyone.
Lillian: “Of course she did... Fine, do you have any ideas then?”

That’s a good question. Cattenom isn’t a big town, but there are still plenty of places we could go. I guess it depends on what we want to figure out. We should still talk it over, and with Lemmy too since he’ll be with us, but we need ideas first.

Hmm... What do we want to find out, and what are some places we could go...?
>>
No. 1044863 ID: 8483cf

Check out the graveyard and see how many tombstones there are for people who died IMMEDIATELY after graduating high school.
>>
No. 1044869 ID: 22eda9

For the sake of convenience and a refresher, I will now recount the fortune in full. After all, you were concerned about misremembering something.

>'Should the Alien from another world wish to find what he’s lost, he will have to remember these words well.'
The 'another world part' aside, I believe this to mean that you are missing memories, but it's still possible to reclaim them.

>'In the opening act, only two had read the script. In act two, the plot was deduced, and the number who knew became three. Now in the third act, the number has dropped to two once more. It is up to you to raise this number any higher.'
I think Lillian's right about the topic being wrong- if it were simply remembering Judy, the starting number would probably be more than two. I also think she's right about Jhonen being a part of the count- and we can take this a step further by adding that it probably has to do with what he found out and confronted you about on Sunday.

To refresh your memory, an excerpt as retold by Bec;
>"I know the Truth! You need to see what I uncovered, it finally all makes sense! All the pieces fit!"
>An adult listened in, and this is speculated to be the reason for his graduation.
>"he claimed to know Franklin’s True Nature, and demanded his Immediate Arrest.

In other words... your existence, things you don't want to talk about, the... scar, Judy, and your mom, and more that are hard to get into right now, are all probably relevant- and worse, Jhonen considered some part of it to be on the level of a Crime. However, that's merely Jhonen's perspective.

My guess is that the people who read the script refers to your Dad and Temmie, with Jhonen being the third. I'm not sure on the topic, but it might be more like "The Disappearance of Judy." or "Franklin's True Nature." Assuming that Jhonen is one of the three, then at least one of the many things Jhonen said the last time you saw him is directly related to the Topic.
I feel like that's half right, anyways.

Also...
I still respect your boundaries regarding your privacy, but I think it's important to note that
-A: We're on a couple different time limits (Albert's Fortune, Temmie's Request, and also...)
-B: Eventually, we'll be gone from your head, and likely in someone else's. Likely, they won't be able to hear us, so we can't really tell anyone anything you don't want told. If they unexpectedly can, I think that me and the other spirits can agree to keep a secret until you're ready.
-C: If it's important, we could be missing something vital when thinking things through.

...That said, don't feel pressured to tell us everything right now. Work your way up to it.

Now, the rest of the fortunes.
>'Your Faith has many times been misplaced, and yet I will ask you to carry it once more. All roads will lead you back to me, yet the journey will change in many ways.'
This seems to imply that right now, there are three Main Choices to go about further investigation which is directly important to solving this mystery, all of which are presented by the guides.

>Hmm... What do we want to find out, and what are some places we could go...?
(Dad's Laboratory)
(Recycling Center?)
(????? North of Highschool?) By the way, do you know what's up there? We don't.
(The Anderson House?) Potentially Risky

>'Three guides stand at the start of each road, each showing their worst faces as you examine them. Shall you follow the Self-Centered, the Unreliable, or the Blind?'
>'One stares so deeply inward that they stray from the path laid out for you. Perhaps you are more the guide than the follower to them.'
>'Another has never been one you could trust, always seeming to lead you astray. You will question who they truly are, and eventually come to know throughout your quest.'
>'The last sees no path at all, but intuits the way forward based on assumptions and insights. To you, this option seems new, but in truth you have unknowingly trusted their guidance before.'
I think at least one of these guides is Lemmy... maybe...

>'Eventually, the show will end, the curtains will fall, and the actors will drop the charade. Strive not to get lost in the performance, lest you find yourself unable to face reality when the story concludes.'
This is the Past, the Present, and the Future as Temmie has seen it.

My interpretation is... there's a heavy emphasis on an "Act" being played here, and that it applies to the whole fortune- to the point that perhaps even the Guides are Actors, for the sake of leading you to the conclusion. The Act is done not out of ill will, but instead because they have forseen a hard to accept truth that you will have to face eventually. I think Lillian ...might(?) understand if you mention this.
>>
No. 1044897 ID: 0838d6

>>1044869
I like most of what is said here and think that if you talk about it with Lillian and then get her updated opinion on which of these three locations to go to, that that would be a good place to start for your investigation today.

Personally I lean towards Dad's laboratory because
A. Its your dad
B. We are here *with you* *right now*

And I think having us to help with hard truths specifically related to you, while we are here is kind of what we're meant to do. Since we've slowly helped the others take steps to improve themselves, why not take the same approach here?

Though my conjecture is that you're literally from another world, not as a literal alien, but as in you lived a whole other life and you're so forgetful, mixing things up because there was a whole other you that experienced events, maybe not with the same characters, but certainly still in cattenom. And now you're this Franklin, with a bunch of strange memories and thoughts, fogetful because too much is crammed in there or you're suffering from ptsd, though that's just a theory.

Also does a cat and a very tall tree ring any bells?
>>
No. 1044920 ID: 22eda9

I forgot something...
>“I’ve got another “what” coming your way. What’s a juncture?”
A Juncture is typically, an important point that connects two different events in time, or places- for example, a bridge is a juncture, which can also be used as a metaphor.

The Critical Juncture, or Bridge in this case, will coincide with just before the end of our time with you during an important situation, likely brought about by either your investigation, or the other group's investigation of the Nuclear Power Plant.

It's possible that it won't be possible to handle the situation as best as possible while also keeping your promise, but this kind of has "Bad things will happen to Temmie" vibe if you leave her behind.
That said, it might not hurt to let other people know before you come across the bridge at the end of your journey.

...Not a literal bridge, though. I think.
>>
No. 1045555 ID: 629f2e
File 166501725570.png - (149.77KB , 500x500 , 206.png )
1045555

> Check out the graveyard and see how many tombstones there are for people who died IMMEDIATELY after graduating high school.
> Personally I lean towards Dad's laboratory

I’m not supposed to go in my dad's lab, but the Graveyard is fine. That’s just our backyard.

Franklin: “There might be clues at the morgue.”
Lillian: “Well yeah, but aren’t you banned from any of the rooms that’d give us real answers?”
Franklin: “Maybe, but I am allowed to play in the yard.”
Franklin: “All of the graves have dates on them, right? Maybe we can find something out by checking them.”
Franklin: “Like... What if a lot of them are the same age?”
Lillian: “Or what if some of them have names of kids we know should have graduated? That’d be definitive proof that they’re doing crazy bad stuff there!”
Lillian: “Good suggestion dude, we gotta check it out.”
Franklin: “...Plus, we’re already here.”

You motion to the morgue, which has already come into view as you walk and talk. Just a short walk at this point. As the gate comes up, you walk ahead slightly to open it for Lillian. You heard somewhere that it’s polite.

Lillian: “What’s even the point of a huge gate if you don’t lock it?”
Franklin: “Well we lock it at night. Lemmy still got in anyways though, so I guess it doesn’t do that much.”
Franklin: “...It looks nice though, don’t you think?”
Lillian: “Eh, I guess so. Fits the creepy vibe.”

You both trudge up the hill to your front door, when Lillian brings up a worthwhile question.

Lillian: “Is your dad home right now?”
Franklin: “...I dunno. He usually is when I come home from school, but not always.”
Lillian: “You don’t think he’ll get suspicious of us looking around the graveyard, do you?”
Franklin: “Probably not. He’d be cooped up in either his lab, bedroom, or maybe the bathroom if he tried to revolutionize cooking again.”
Lillian: “I’d rather he just not be here. Then we can look wherever we want, no limitations! Right?”
Franklin: “...”

You knock on the door. If dad is home, then he’ll answer. If he isn’t, then Lemmy will, because dad wouldn’t knock to be let in. It’s a good way to figure out what’s going on before even getting inside.

There’s some movement at the window, someone peeking to see who is here, and then finally the door opens.
>>
No. 1045556 ID: 629f2e
File 166501727804.png - (141.64KB , 500x500 , 207.png )
1045556

...
>>
No. 1045557 ID: 629f2e
File 166501729309.png - (113.83KB , 500x500 , 208.png )
1045557

>>
No. 1045558 ID: 629f2e
File 166501729886.png - (106.34KB , 500x500 , 209.png )
1045558

>>
No. 1045559 ID: 629f2e
File 166501730818.png - (124.49KB , 500x500 , 210.png )
1045559

>>
No. 1045560 ID: 629f2e
File 166501731329.png - (124.39KB , 500x500 , 211.png )
1045560

>>
No. 1045561 ID: 629f2e
File 166501731986.png - (110.68KB , 500x500 , 212.png )
1045561

>>
No. 1045562 ID: 629f2e
File 166501732439.png - (114.44KB , 500x500 , 213.png )
1045562

>>
No. 1045563 ID: 629f2e
File 166501737417.png - (162.96KB , 500x500 , 214.png )
1045563

Lillian: “...What and why?”
Lemmy: “It’s my disguise. Y’know, in case the doc comes home and I can’t hide in time. I’m Franklin.”
Franklin: “Wait, but I’m Franklin.”
Lemmy: “Hey, I’m willing to share. As long as I’m anyone but Lemmy. That kid’s supposed to be going to high school, absolutely terrible identity to have.”
Franklin: “...I don’t think I want to share my identity. Is that selfish?”
Lillian: “He’s just joking around. Right?
Lemmy: “This is a joke, yes.”
Lemmy: “I mean, come on, there’s no passing for That.

He motions at me, in a way that feels vaguely insulting. Maybe it’s because he called me a “that”. I’m not a thing, I’m a me.

Lemmy: “Not without a razor at least. But Frankl-in-y I’m not giving myself a haircut for a bit.”
Lemmy: “That’s a lie, I’d totally commit, but I just couldn’t find a razor around here.”

A haircut? What is he-

-Oh right, still Bald. Why do I keep forgetting that?

Lillian: “Already starting to regret giving you freedom, but we got you a costume to try on anyways.”
Lemmy: “Aw sweet! What is it?”

I hand the bag over, and he pops into the bathroom to change. Shortly afterwards, he comes out dressed in a postman’s uniform. Not like one I’ve ever seen an actual mailman wear, but it kind of looks like the ones I’ve seen in book illustrations.

Lemmy: “Nice! Definitely beats being Franklin.”
Franklin: “...I feel like that’s insulting to me.”
Lemmy: “Nah, it looks better on you.”
Lemmy: “Honestly, with the hat I feel like I’m pretending to be Roger. Maybe if I lean into it, I won’t draw too much attention.”

He laughs at his own words. Lillian and I are silent.

Lillian: “It’s with great joy that I get to tell you to shut up and knock it off with the puns. You’re gonna give yourself away with them.”
Lemmy: “Shoot, good point. But how am I supposed to avoid a good pun-chline?
Lillian: “You could stop setting them up for starters. Otherwise I’m gonna pun-ch you.”
>>
No. 1045564 ID: 629f2e
File 166501741155.png - (153.24KB , 500x500 , 215.png )
1045564

As Lillian starts to fill him in on what we did after school, I start listening more to what the spirits are saying.

> The 'another world part' aside, I believe this to mean that you are missing memories, but it's still possible to reclaim them.

Well that’s not too surprising. Or, maybe the part about reclaiming them is? I lose thoughts all the time, but I don’t always find them.

> Though my conjecture is that you're literally from another world, not as a literal alien, but as in you lived a whole other life and you're so forgetful, mixing things up because there was a whole other you that experienced events, maybe not with the same characters, but certainly still in cattenom.

...I guess Temmie did say “Alien from Another World”, but you can never take her fortunes completely literally like that. There are too many metaphors and stuff that mean things other than what they say.

What other world could I be from? Cattenom is in this world, so that means I was only here, doesn’t it? Do other worlds have other Cattenoms and different people inside of them? That kind of sounds like something Jhonen would suggest.

Though I guess that would explain the Judy thing. If she came from the other world, then that’s why nobody from this one knows her. Maybe there is something there...

> And now you're this Franklin, with a bunch of strange memories and thoughts, forgetful because too much is crammed in there or you're suffering from ptsd, though that's just a theory.

Wait, was I a Different Franklin in the other world? Now I really don’t understand this theory.

I’ll try to keep an eye out for anything that supports it, and you can try to make it sound better if you want also. But for now, I’m just gonna put it with all of Jhonen’s guesses on what I am that I can remember.

> Also does a cat and a very tall tree ring any bells?

There are a lot of tall trees here. Even if you told me how tall you meant, it’d be hard to find the one you mean.

A Cat though? I’ve heard of those. They’re fluffy, and they have long tails, and they’re cute, right? I like them. Petting them feels good.

...Wait, petting them feels good? I just thought that, like it was something I’m sure of, but I don’t remember petting any cats. Saying it feels right though, so I guess I must have. I just forgot when I did.

>I think Lillian's right about the topic being wrong- if it were simply remembering Judy, the starting number would probably be more than two. I also think she's right about Jhonen being a part of the count- and we can take this a step further by adding that it probably has to do with what he found out and confronted you about on Sunday.

...I’ve been thinking. Back on Sunday, when Jhonen was chasing me around town, something about it felt kind of... off. I wasn’t really paying attention to what he was saying, because he never said stuff that made sense during the chase, and it sounded like all of the other stuff he always said. It would only ever come together after he caught me, since I could ask for him to explain while he ran his highly invasive scientific experiments on me.

Do you think he found something important? Maybe he was saying something that mattered, and I was being dumb by not listening. I feel a little bad if that’s the case.

> In other words... your existence, things you don't want to talk about, the... scar, Judy, and your mom, and more that are hard to get into right now, are all probably relevant- and worse, Jhonen considered some part of it to be on the level of a Crime. However, that's merely Jhonen's perspective.

...

> I still respect your boundaries regarding your privacy, but I think it's important to note that
>[ *Various points* ]
>...That said, don't feel pressured to tell us everything right now. Work your way up to it.

...You... do make some good points. And if you understand what’s going on, then you can probably help me understand what’s going on, so it’s better if I tell you stuff than if I don’t. But...

...You said not to feel pressured to do it, so I won’t. I won’t answer anything that makes me Uncomfortable, unless I want to. So... if you have questions, ask them, and I’ll decide what I answer.

For now though, Lemmy and Lillian look like they’ve finished.

Lemmy: “So you’re just gonna head out and start peekin’ at the numbers on graves?”
Lillian: “And names.”
Lemmy: “That idea sucks more than a professional straw tester.”
Lemmy: “Why would the people behind this junk print anything even remotely Incriminating on them? It’s not like kids can’t just wander in here and start reading.”
Lillian: “...Yeah but, who knows? We might still find something out by looking. It’s not like we have any better ideas.”
Lemmy: “If you want to check anything out, why not the doc’s lab? He was there all day, up until he shouted something about groceries and left.”

Lillian pauses, and I can feel her glance at me. She seems concerned about something.

Franklin: “Dad’s lab is a Restricted Area. We aren’t allowed inside.”
Lemmy: “Why would we need to be allowed inside? He isn’t here, let’s just go in.”
Franklin: “...That... It makes sense, but...”
Lillian: “You okay with that dude?”

Honestly, something about it felt wrong. What they were saying made sense, and it wasn’t like we hadn’t done other things you weren’t allowed to do while investigating (break into school, break a window, etc.), so what made this different?

Just because a restricted area doesn’t mean we can’t go inside. Right?

...
>>
No. 1045593 ID: 8483cf

Question time!

First: What is your favorite color? Did it ever change?

Second: If something as important to you as your favorite color ever changed, then do you remember anything even MORE important ever changing than that?

Third: If important things can change, have you considered that rules are made up of important things that can ALSO change?

Fourth: What is more important to you: following rules you sort of remember a reason for, or reclaiming even MORE important memories?

If the answer to question four is the memories, I think you don't need our convincing to know what needs to be done about visiting Dad's Lab.
>>
No. 1045620 ID: 0838d6

I have some questions, feel free to pick any to answer.

Is there a reason beyond you were told not to, to not go into any of those places?

Can we look at a photo of your mom, preferably a family photo?

Is there a window on the outside of the house that looks into your mom's room and have you tried looking into it before? (I assume curtains are blocking it anyway, but yknow)

Does your mom ever use the bathroom or have you ever heard her use it, if she's sick that would definitely happen.

Is there something that could harm you or your friends if they entered the lab?

What were you told to do in the case of an emergency and your dad wasn't responding to your attempts to get him out of his lab?

Do you have a favorite toy or food? And what is it?
>>
No. 1045711 ID: 22eda9

>Do other worlds have other Cattenoms and different people inside of them?
I can actually answer this; Yes! The Cattenom I know of exists in a place called France, although its own nuclear power plant is still operational. "Our" Cattenom is an entirely different one from the one you know of today. Curious, isn't it? This is an instance of what would be called "Parallel Universe Theory" - except, more than just theory in this case. I'm not sure this is very useful right now, but it might be a topic your Dad would be more than willing to talk about.

I wonder if there's a deeper meaning to you and your dad having the same name.

>Jhonen's Guesses
How many do you remember, anyways? I'm sure he tried explaining some of them- and if he figured something out, then at least one of them was on the right track... maybe??

>...Wait, petting them feels good?
Yep. From what we can tell, in theory, there once was a cat you knew named Mittens. That memory we saw... you seemed pretty stressed out, honestly.

>Don't feel pressured.
...Yeah, I guess we are being a bit forward about this. If you can work through it while we're with you, great.
If not, then at least our decision to guide Albert not to look at your secret is still being upheld in some way.

>Checking Graves for Names
Not a bad idea, there's sure to be something interesting to see there. It might be kinda sad, or worse, though.

>Just because it's a restricted area doesn’t mean we can’t go inside. Right?
I mean, just because you're told you 'can't' doesn't mean it's not possible, but there's likely to be some sort of consequence to the act, like all things have. The several "wrongs" committed thus far have all had varying degrees of understandable reasons to them. The question, I suppose, is whether or not you trust your Dad not to lie to you- which is a difficult question since it seems and feels like all adults are in on the 'high school' thing. Considering your Dad's "Mad Scientist" disposition, I find it hard to believe he doesn't know something about the Cattenom Nuclear Plant, which seems to be somehow deeply important.

I'll present a few good and bad points of investigating Dad's Laboratory.
Good:
-Your investigation is basically guaranteed to find something, even if you only look a little.
-According to Lemmy, this is your best opportunity (questionable) - considering our time limit, it "could" be your last chance.
-If you choose to, you'll probably have good evidence whether your Dad is being honest with you or not.
-Choosing this gets people to stop asking, and if things go wrong, you can say "I told you so!" (A little bad too)
Bad:
-Blatantly breaks your Dad's rules.
-Unknown amount of time to get groceries... (How long ago was that, Lemmy? Do you know how long it usually takes Dad?)
-The contents of the lab could be dangerous, if the Heat Ray he gave you earlier is actually effective. (???)
-Once you know the knowledge, you won't be able to un-know.

The majority might all be saying you should, but it should honestly be up to you.

>Questions
How do you feel about Demons? I know, weird question, but you've said something before about them that's quite unusual compared to what other people feel about them. If I recall correctly, Judy liked the Occult?

...I'm not sure how I'd feel if we ended up finding out Judy was fictional, like a character from Game Night or something.

By the way, does your Mom have a name, or some sort of title she's referred to as (ex; Roger the Artist/Batter, etc)? I don't think we've ever heard anything like that mentioned yet.

>Other
I'm curious what Lemmy's been up to. Has he just been hiding, or... has he also been investigating? He might have seen something, whether that's for better or worse.
>>
No. 1046380 ID: 629f2e
File 166563845736.png - (123.11KB , 500x500 , 218.png )
1046380

> Is there a reason beyond ‘you were told not to’, to not go into any of those places?

Well... For mom’s room, it’s because I could get her sick of course. I want her to be better, so I’m gonna respect the rules and not go in there. For the lab, maybe it’s because dad has science stuff out, and it’s all delicate? That’s a good reason not to mess with any of it I think.

I’m not sure about dad’s bedroom though. Maybe he keeps other science stuff in there? Or maybe something else that I could mess up if I touched? ...I guess compared to the others, maybe that one was just for convenience. You know, so that I wouldn’t bother him in there or anything like that.

> The several "wrongs" committed thus far have all had varying degrees of understandable reasons to them. The question, I suppose, is whether or not you trust your Dad not to lie to you- which is a difficult question since it seems and feels like all adults are in on the 'high school' thing.

Well, that’s true I guess. But... dad never told me about high school, so he Didn’t lie about it! It was all the other adults who did, and I guess the other kids who told me what they were told, but they were just repeating what they thought was true.

I don’t think dad would Lie to me. He might not tell me everything, but that doesn’t make him a liar. He taught me most of what I know, so it’d be really bad if I couldn’t trust him at all.

> Is there something that could harm you or your friends if they entered the lab?

There’s always something harmful somewhere in the house. There could be one in the lab. We should keep an eye out for something like that. Unless it pokes out eyes.

> What were you told to do in the case of an emergency and your dad wasn't responding to your attempts to get him out of his lab?

In the several emergency plans dad has plans for, none fit those conditions. If I can’t get him out of the bathroom though, I know that securing toilet paper is the first step. That’s probably what I’d start with if I couldn’t get him out of the lab I think.

Lillian: “Franklin?”
Franklin: “...It’s... fine. We can go in, as long as we’re careful.”
Lillian: “Great! Let’s check it out from top to bottom then.”
Lemmy: “Let’s quit blabbing and get to labbing!”

Yeah... This is fine. We’re going into a restricted area, but it’s okay. It’s no different from any other rules we’ve broken while investigating.

Just because dad says it’s restricted... doesn’t mean you Can’t go inside.

...
>>
No. 1046381 ID: 629f2e
File 166563848410.png - (80.33KB , 500x500 , 219.png )
1046381

...It’s Possible...

Franklin considers something very unpleasant, gaining 4 Fear.

Party Fear Levels:
[Franklin: 50/100]
[Lillian: 18/100]
[Lemmy: 39/100]

>>
No. 1046382 ID: 629f2e
File 166563855334.png - (129.56KB , 500x500 , 220.png )
1046382

Lemmy leads the way, very eager to investigate. Probably because he’s been sitting around all day with nothing to do. School may be boring, but doing nothing is somehow even worse.

Lemmy: “So what does your dad even do down there?”
Franklin: “Well, when people die he has to examine the bodies and take notes on them. If there’s anything weird he might tell the police about it. Then he prepares them to be buried.”
Lillian: “What’s there to prepare? He’s just putting them in a hole, isn’t he?”
Franklin: “Well he has to measure them for their coffin, and remove anything they’re holding like their wallets so that he can give them to the families...”
Franklin: “Oh, and then he runs Experiments on them.”
Lillian: “That took a turn.”
Franklin: “And when nobody is dying, he gets bored and takes bodies out of the ground to experiment on.”
Lemmy: “That sounds like a sick bird, because there’s no way it isn’t ill-eagle.
Franklin: “It makes sense. The bodies are buried on the morgue, and he owns it, so technically after a while they become his property. Right?”
Lillian: “...”
Lillian: “That sounds wrong, but I don’t know why it is.”

> Can we look at a photo of your mom, preferably a family photo?

I don’t remember seeing any family photos of all three of us, but... I actually have seen a picture of dad and mom together. He showed it to me once when I asked what she looked like.

It’s upstairs though, so I’ll have to show you guys after we finish checking around dad’s lab. Remind me to do it so that I don’t forget please.

> By the way, does your Mom have a name, or some sort of title she's referred to as (ex; Roger the Artist/Batter, etc)? I don't think we've ever heard anything like that mentioned yet.

Everyone has a name. Hers is... Um, it started with an E– Elizabeth! That was it.

She doesn’t have any sort of title or nickname, only kids have those.

> Is there a window on the outside of the house that looks into your mom's room and have you tried looking into it before? (I assume curtains are blocking it anyway, but yknow)

No, I don’t think there is. There’s one in the living room and one in the kitchen, and one in the dining room. None in mom’s room though. That’s probably good, since it’d need to stay closed anyways for the quarantine.

> Does your mom ever use the bathroom or have you ever heard her use it, if she's sick that would definitely happen.

Ew. That’s gross.

We stop, Lemmy and Lillian staring at the door. Without second guessing our choice, Lemmy pushes it open. The air inside is cold, but we each step inside.

The room is very... what’s that word Jhonen uses about his parents? Clinical? There’s little more than what is needed for dad to do his job. On the furthest wall from the door is a 2x4 line of freezers. One appears open, but you can’t see anything inside.

There’s a metal table in the room’s center with something atop it, covered by a large white cloth with red stains that I don’t think will ever fully wash out.

Aside from that, there are a few cabinets, drawers, and two sinks. Probably for washing your hands or other tools.

Lillian: “Ugh! It reeks!”
Franklin: “It does?”
Lemmy: “You don’t smell that!? Don’t you nose what we’re talking about?”
Franklin: “...Oh. Yeah, that’s just what dead people smell like.”
Franklin: “I guess I’m used to it. Dad always smells like this when he’s been working all day.”
Lillian: “Franklin, you’ve definitely come to class a few times smelling not much better than this. There are some smells you should not get used to.”
Franklin: “I forget to shower sometimes! I usually remember...”
Lillian: “Do you remember last month when none of us wanted to sit with you, and Jhonen threw up on his tray?”

I yank my turtleneck over my face in embarrassment. I usually don’t mind when people point out that I’m weird, because I don’t mind my head or my tail. My Musk is different though, I never want to think about it.

Dad worked around so much stink in his life that I inherited the stench when I was born. I have to shower in the morning and evening if I don’t wanna gross my friends out.

Franklin: “...Please don’t remind me.”
Lillian: “I’m just teasing! You’re alright most of the time.”
Lemmy: “Hey... You guys seeing that?”
>>
No. 1046383 ID: 629f2e
File 166563858022.png - (135.92KB , 500x500 , 221.png )
1046383

He extends a finger, pointing at the covered table. They both tense up, while you’re mostly just relieved at the change in topic.

Lemmy: “...Not many things that could be, right?”
Lillian: “...A dead person.”
Lemmy: “Yeah, but... Who?”

She doesn’t respond, just staring at it from a distance.

Who could it be? Well, it looks too tall to be a kid, and even if it wasn’t I don’t know any kids who have died recently. It has to be an adult, I think. So thinking about adults who recently died...

Franklin: “...Enid’s Dad?
Lillian: “Yeah... Makes sense. This would be where the body would wind up, wouldn’t it?”
Lemmy: “Frederick Anderson... That’s him.”

Just to be sure, I walk up to the bed and pull the sheet back. The body underneath is covered in severe burns, almost unrecognizable like this. Although, since I never knew what Mr. Anderson looked like, I can actually recognize him as someone that I don’t recognize pretty easily.

He died in a house fire, so burns make sense. Plus, he doesn’t smell rotten yet, so it’s not an older corpse. This is Mr. Anderson alright.

Franklin: “Okay, it’s definitely him. He’s all burnt up.”
Lillian: “...”
Lemmy: “...”

I look up. Lillian and Lemmy are both staring at me with looks of horror.

Franklin: “...What?”
Lemmy: “...O-Oh wow! I ordered my corpse m-medium rare, not well-done... Heh...”
Franklin: “Is everything okay guys? He’s just dead, I’m pretty sure of it.”

I put a hand on his charred neck. Yep, there’s no pulse, it’s just a corpse.

Lillian: “Why are you touching it!?!?
Franklin: “...I was just making sure. Is something wrong?”
Lillian: “Dude! Dead guy!”
Franklin: “...Have you never seen a dead body?”
Lillian & Lemmy: “No!
Franklin: “Oh. Well, they can’t do anything. They’re dead.”

What’s the big deal about corpses? I’ve helped dad bring them into the house all the time. We set them on a moving bed together, and then he wheels them away into the lab. Or sometimes he tells me to help re-bury them when he’s done testing.

Now I’m wondering if I should keep touching the body. Lillian and Lemmy might be too grossed out to come in if I keep going, but aren’t we supposed to check everything?

Then again, Lemmy said that dad left for groceries, but he didn’t mention how long ago that was. We’ll have to leave when he gets back, so maybe we won’t get to check Everything. We should focus on what’s important, whatever that would be here...

Hmm...
>>
No. 1046384 ID: e51896

Thank goodness we decided not to bring Enid. I don't know how her little heart would take this.

Also, you're desensitized to seeing dead bodies, Franklin, meaning you've been around them so much that it doesn't bother you. Lilian and Lemmy are not, that's why they're freaking out. It's actually really creepy to be around a dead body if you're not used to it.

Two things, you said he takes notes on the dead bodies, and he holds the departed's belongings to give to their families later... see if you can find those, we might get clues about Enid's dad.

And do you might know what might be in those 2x4 line of freezers usually? with one of them open, your dad must have taken something cold out of there and forgot to close it (don't close it though, we're trying to keep things the way it is). I'm trying to figure out what you would put in those freezers usually at a morgue. organs?
>>
No. 1046385 ID: 8483cf

>>1046384
Agreed that it's time to check the notes on Enid's Dad's Corpse.

The freezers are prrrrobably related to specimen samples of tissue or fluids at regular morgues. Lab kits need to be kept cool to avoid degradation, too. Here? All bets are off.

Don't touch the corpses, they're dead, they're not going to get up and walk away, they don't have enough coffee for that.

I vote to check the freezer and the drawers.
>>
No. 1046386 ID: 8483cf

Also, if possible, count the number and names of corpses in any logbooks that have come in over the last year, and compare that to graduation records vs. actual deaths.
>>
No. 1046422 ID: 0838d6

For clarification, no, they don't normally see or smell dead bodies, it typically makes others feel uncomfortable. You've just seen them a lot and become numb to it

Check the notes, don't look at/over the corpse or poke at it more, and even cover it back up so others don't feel uncomfortable. The notes should be good enough since your dad seems the meticulous type.

I think the others will just roam around the space, maybe look at records like >>1046386 stated, and then you should leave, just to be safe. Maybe even consider having someone stand guard at the front door for your dad (with the door open) and make a big old loud noise to let you know that dad's coming if you dont finish before he comes back. (probably Lilian) and you can come up with an excuse for wanting to snag *something* from your room with your pal (whatever you called lemmy) but forgot and got distracted (which is very on brand).

Also, consider just flat out asking your dad about graduation, you said he doesen't lie to you, and he should know you want to see Jhonen and are upset about it, to the point of hanging out with someone you normally wouldn't (lemmy)
>>
No. 1046521 ID: 22eda9

>Mom's room doesn't have windows
Could we see the door to her room later? It's fine if you don't go in, but...
Well, anyway, if we have time to remind you, along with the photo, of course.

...How long has she been sick for?
I can't for certain say any hard facts on the longest recorded time someone has spent with an illness or sickness since these aren't generally publicized unless the patient survives, but the longest recent case I've heard of is 16 months of our latest outbreak- or in other words, about 1.3 years.

...Oh, wait. I suppose we've gone over that already. Um... How long have you been going to school for? Two and a Half Years, was it?

...Sorry, this train of thought's kinda...
...If I knew that I might not get better, I'd probably want to see my son at least once.

>Her name's Elizabeth.
Nice! You remembered something. Maybe we can keep this on a roll. Um... do you remember what kind of things she liked?
...Does Dad ever talk about her beyond her being sick?

>Only kids have titles.
What? So kids just lose them when they become adults?
I mean sure, they get "Jobs", and that's sort of a title, but... I guess it's a little different. Snyder the Toy Store Owner... Mrs. Fitzsimmons the... Receptionist? Nurse? Huh. I guess so.

Did Mom- er, Elizabeth have a Job?

>What’s the big deal about corpses?
People don't generally see them. After all, they're used to only seeing what they were before; living beings. It's generally considered disrespectful to mess with things that were alive before they stopped being that way beyond putting them to rest.

>The bodies are buried on the morgue, and he owns it, so technically after a while they become his property. Right?
Well... yes and no. According to law, A Corpse Cannot Become Property. There are generally many objections to operating on the dead for the reasons I mentioned before. "That's my (insert familial connection)! How dare you, you- mutilate and slander what's left of their sanctity!" and so on.

For example, Enid would probably be pretty upset if she saw you poking (exaggeration, you're just getting the non-existent pulse) what used to be her dad, someone she and many others respected a lot, regardless of "Mortician's Rights" or how important it may be to the investigation.

I believe she would appreciate it very much if you left Mr. Anderson be, regardless if she found out about it or not. Similar to people respecting your privacy about... Y'know.

Actions have consequences.
That said, it should still be fine to look (not touch) and see if anything "unusual" was left on the body.

It'd be better if you could find any Notes or Records on Mr. Anderson- but I think it might be more important to look for info on other... former patients.

>Maybe even consider having someone stand guard at the front door.
But who? Lillian's probably got the faster reflexes and attention, but at the same time, I'm not sure I trust Lemmy to not touch potentially dangerous things or stuff that would be noticed by Dad.

...Maybe suggest it and see how they feel about "Guard Duty"?

>Consider just flat out asking your Dad about Graduation.
Seconded.
...You could also ask Dad about Mom again. Maybe something different than usual, but what...?
If you do get a chance to ask him things, maybe also consider asking him about "The Tree Incident" while... preparing yourself for a potentially (hopefully not) painful story.
>>
No. 1046926 ID: 629f2e
File 166615716526.png - (142.56KB , 500x500 , 222.png )
1046926

> For clarification, no, they don't normally see or smell dead bodies, it typically makes others feel uncomfortable. You've just seen them a lot and become numb to it.
> You're desensitized to seeing dead bodies, Franklin, meaning you've been around them so much that it doesn't bother you. Lilian and Lemmy are not, that's why they're freaking out. It's actually really creepy to be around a dead body if you're not used to it.

I guess there aren’t many opportunities to see corpses when you don’t live in a morgue. Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, they kind of scared me too when I was younger. I had nightmares where they came to life and hurt me. Then dad helped me understand that dead things typically stay dead, and that corpses would never be able to do that because they’re just objects, not people.

And then I stopped having those nightmares.

> Thank goodness we decided not to bring Enid. I don't know how her little heart would take this.
> Enid would probably be pretty upset if she saw you poking what used to be her dad, someone she and many others respected a lot, regardless of "Mortician's Rights" or how important it may be to the investigation.

Do you think so? I don’t want to upset her, she’s nice. I didn’t think she’d care about a body that isn’t her dad anymore. I’ll stop before I do something worse.

Gently, I take the blanket and drape it back over the body.

Franklin: “Is that better?”
Lillian: “Much.”
Lemmy: “Just don’t touch me until you wash those hands.”

They seem comfortable enough to come in at least, both slowly crossing through the doorway.

> Maybe even consider having someone stand guard at the front door for your dad (with the door open) and make a big old loud noise to let you know that dad's coming if you dont finish before he comes back
> But who? Lillian's probably got the faster reflexes and attention, but at the same time, I'm not sure I trust Lemmy to not touch potentially dangerous things or stuff that would be noticed by Dad. ...Maybe suggest it and see how they feel about "Guard Duty"?

Franklin: “Hold on. Dad usually doesn’t notice much when he’s in here.”
Franklin: “...That could just be because he’s him, but what if it’s hard to hear things in here?”
Lemmy: “Oh yeah. He could come home and we wouldn’t know.”
Lillian: “One of us should stand guard outside.”
Lemmy: “Not it. Done plenty of standing around and twiddling my thumbs for one day already.”
Lillian: “Fine. Me or Franklin then.”

She turns to look at me. Her eyes narrow, as she slowly shakes her head.

Lillian: “Yeah, it’s gonna be me. Sorry Franklin, but I don’t trust your attention span.”
Franklin: “It’s pretty bad.”

With a nod of understanding, she steps back out and waits, staring in and watching us.

...This is the second time I’ve left Lillian to stay outside while I get to do something. Next time, I’m letting her do the thing, no matter what. ...Unless she doesn’t want to.

Now, where to look first...
>>
No. 1046927 ID: 629f2e
File 166615720671.png - (122.09KB , 500x500 , 223.png )
1046927

> Two things, you said he takes notes on the dead bodies, and he holds the departed's belongings to give to their families later... see if you can find those, we might get clues about Enid's dad.
> Agreed that it's time to check the notes on Enid's Dad's Corpse.
> Check the notes... The notes should be good enough since your dad seems the meticulous type.
> It'd be better if you could find any Notes or Records on Mr. Anderson- but I think it might be more important to look for info on other... former patients.

Wow. If all of you say that, it must be a good idea.

Let’s see... Ah, there’s a clipboard sitting on the countertop. If dad was working before he left, that’s probably it.

Lemmy spots it too, and we both approach it together. He picks it up and starts reading, before suddenly tossing it back.

Lemmy: “I can’t understand any of this.”
Franklin: “What do you mean?”
Lemmy: “It’s too much Medical Jargon! I can’t make sense of what it’s saying.”
Franklin: “...May I see?”

He slides it over, and I take the clipboard into my hands. I start to read, and–

...

I blink, rubbing my tired eyes. What just happened?

One second I was trying to read what was on this page, and the next I was... really really bored. Did my body assume I was trying to sleep? Was it just that Boring and incomprehensible? I think it may have been!

Just to be sure, I check again, being careful to try and follow what it’s saying. I don’t get much more out of it than I did in the first read. One word does stand out to me though.

Franklin: “Cranium. That means head, right?”
Lemmy: “Huh? Yeah, why? Does it say something about his noggin?”
Franklin: “The cranium’s integrity... That’s the only part I kind of understand.”
Lemmy: “Let me see that again.”

I hand it back, pointing out the section. He squints at it closely. Then he looks at me. And then back to the page. And then back at me. And then back to the page– this continues for a bit.

Finally, he lets out a long sigh.

Lemmy: “Alright, you can go poke at his head to try and figure out what’s wrong with him.”
Franklin: “Oh. I don’t know if I should...”
Lemmy: “Why not? You were just doing it a few minutes ago. Has all your courage departed?
Franklin: “No. But it might be disrespectful to Enid.”
Lillian: “Also it’s really gross.”
Franklin: “...That part is debatable.”
Lemmy: “Hey, I don’t want to miff the stiff’s kid, but the chart says there’s Something worth mentioning about his head.”
Lemmy: “We could grab a dictionary and try to work this out, but that’d take too long, and it’s boring, and I don’t want to. So just check him out while our time remains.
Lillian: “You’re reaching really far for jokes that aren’t worth it.”
Lemmy: “Jeez, everyone’s a critic.”

I hesitate. He has a point, but so did you guys. Should I do it or not? I don’t know if I can trust my own judgment, since I didn’t even know it was wrong in the first place. How can I judge whether it’s fine in this case to do it anyways?

Wanting a third opinion, I turn to Lillian. She frowns, before giving her thoughts.

Lillian: “...Ugh, fine. It’s not like you didn’t already touch it. We’ll apologize to Enid later.”
>>
No. 1046928 ID: 629f2e
File 166615724014.png - (171.08KB , 500x500 , 224.png )
1046928

With that settled, I move over to the body and pull the sheet back. Lemmy takes that as a good time to start checking the Freezers. He probably just wants an excuse to not look over here, even though he keeps stealing glances. Curiosity is weird like that. Even when you know you don’t like something, it still makes you want to check it out.

With a little more hesitance than before, I run my hands over his head. The skin is gross and charred, some of it sticks to my hands. Not too much, I don’t think dad will notice the difference or anything. Nothing stands out to me until I start carefully feeling the sides. Something shifts.

Franklin: “Huh? What’s... Hmm...?”
Lillian: “Did you find it?”
Franklin: “Maybe? I think... Yeah, his skull is Broken here. The bones are shifting when I rub them.”
Lemmy: “Gross. What’s that tell us though?”
Franklin: “...”

I’m not sure what it means, but this is probably the cranium thing that the notes mentioned. That is all we need from this. As I go to pull back the cover though, I notice something on his chest.

It’s hard to see among all the burned flesh, but there’s a weak part of the skin around his left nipple. It’s small, but it looks almost like two parts Fused together. It isn’t even whole, as there’s a tear in it.

I put my finger on it, prodding gently so that it doesn’t break. Then I put it through the hole. It goes in all the way to the knuckle, before touching what I think is a bone. It’s Deep.

Franklin: “...Huh.”
Lillian: “What’s that huh about now? What did you find?”
Franklin: “...I think he was Stabbed.
Lemmy: “Excuse me?”
Franklin: “...It’s hard to tell, because the fire kind of melted the skin together, but there’s a hole in the chest.”
Lillian: “...Alright forget this. Lemmy, take over guard duty. I’m gonna take a look at this.”
Lemmy: “Well I’m sure not gonna. Your funeral, or, his I guess.”
Lillian: “You get one more corpse pun before I start punching you.”
Lemmy: “Ooh, better make it a good one then.”

Hesitantly, she walks over, clearly not wanting to stare at the body in front of her. Slowly though, her gaze shifts down at it. She’s looking VERY grossed out.

Lillian: “Can you show me?”

I point out the two spots I noticed, the stab and the head wound. As soon as I’m finished, she quickly looks away and steps back. It seems like now would be a perfect time to re-cover the body, so I do. She voices her thoughts as I’m washing my hands.

Lillian: “So... A guy who died in a fire has a broken head. I could see that, dude might have panicked and smashed into stuff while trying to put himself out.”
Lemmy: “That stab wound’s a hole other story though, right? Add that in, and it sounds kind of like a Killing. And not the kind that my jokes get.”
Lillian: “Yeah, because this one actually happened.”
Lemmy: “HA! Man, we got a burn victim in the room and somehow I feel the most roasted.”
Franklin: “...Does Enid know?”
Lillian: “...I dunno. We need to tell her though.”
Franklin: “...”

...Somehow, I don’t think she’ll be too surprised.

Lillian: “Right, let’s finish checking around here. Hey, Lemmy! Anything in the freezers?”
Lemmy: “I opened one and there was another body in it. Then I stopped looking.”
Lillian: “Yeah, I think I’m gonna pass on that. The other cabinets and drawers then.”

Lillian and I give the rest of the room a quick once-over. I even check the freezers to confirm that most of them have bodies. I think these must be the ones he has prepped for experimentation.
>>
No. 1046929 ID: 629f2e
File 166615726306.png - (113.61KB , 500x500 , 225.png )
1046929

> If possible, count the number and names of corpses in any logbooks that have come in over the last year, and compare that to graduation records vs. actual deaths.

“Possible” it is not, because we don’t have a logbook.

The rest of the room doesn’t reveal much. It’s mostly just equipment or work-in-progress experiments that I helpfully warn Lillian not to touch as they might explode. No other documents.

Lillian: “Guess this isn’t where he keeps his records.”
Lemmy: “Think they’re in his bedroom? We’ve still got free reign of the place, so we can go check.”
Lillian: “Hmm... That alright with you, Franklin?”
Franklin: “...Yeah, I don’t mind. Dad would probably be more upset over us going into his lab than his bedroom, so his potential anger is as high as it’s going to be.”
Lillian: “Then that’s the plan. Come on, the sooner we get out of this place the better. Even putting aside the stench and creepiness, it’s just freezing in here!”
Franklin: “I like the cold. It’s comfortable.”

I yawn. I really wish my bedroom could be nice and chilly like this. Or even colder! I just want to freeze in a big block of ice when I sleep, and then thaw out for school in the morning. That’d be the best.

It’s a shame I’m not allowed to touch the thermostat. Although, we have been breaking the rules recently. Hmmmmm...

> Also, consider just flat out asking your dad about graduation, you said he doesn't lie to you, and he should know you want to see Jhonen and are upset about it

I guess that’s something I could try out. Maybe he’ll tell me a bunch of stuff we’ve been trying to figure out! I’d be pretty disappointed if he just gave me the same lie the rest of the kids in town were told.

> Nice! You remembered something. Maybe we can keep this on a roll. Um... do you remember what kind of things she liked?

...I think she liked... Me? Cooking food for me... playing games with me... I kind of remember having a mom like that when she was healthy...

> ...Does Dad ever talk about her beyond her being sick?

...Sometimes he tells me stories about her. I’m not in most of them though, his are from before he had kids. That’s the exciting part of being an adult apparently.

Mom was... um, a Foreigner, and she and dad married so that she could live here. Apparently being a foreigner makes it hard to find love, and she thought that dad seemed attainable, which dad always laughs when he explains. So they got together, did a bunch of stuff, and then I was born. She got sick sometime afterwards, but I can’t really remember that. It was a while ago.

I missed a lot of the small details, but that’s all the important stuff I think. Everything dad told me about her.

...

Why doesn’t any of it sound right?
>>
No. 1046931 ID: 8483cf

Tough to remember, I know, but did any of the wounds indicate that the attacker was significantly stronger than Enid's dad? It takes a lot of force to break a skull. Was it broken in multiple places, or just one major point of impact?

Also, Franklin, you're significantly more observant than you give yourself credit for. Maybe we can jump start that mental fog and get you to be a super genius like your dad!

Are you eating enough veggies?
>>
No. 1046934 ID: 22eda9

>...Objects, not people.
I mean... it's technically right, but treating it as a mere object is disrespectful to the "object" and its dignity. Plus, if they're actually still alive when you're treating them like an object due to misdiagnosis, and they rise from their apparent "death", then it might be kind of awkward.

While I think your Dad did a relatively good job of dealing with your fears, I'm not sure that mindset is good emotionally. It might further alienate people from you if say, someone else were to die and you felt nothing.
(I really hope nobody does actually die.)
You shouldn't need this advice, but in the absolute worst case scenario you do... be sure to be mindful of how other people feel.

Also, make sure to clean your hands before you leave.

>It’s a shame I’m not allowed to touch the thermostat. Although...
Dads always seem to know when you touch the thermostat. It's like a weird super power (exaggeration)
I do have a couple of counterpoints unrelated to that, though. It could be either related to the temperature the experiments are kept at, or otherwise your mom. Low enough temperatures are enough to give people colds.

Incidentally, is there a specific temperature you prefer?

>About Mom
That all sounds past tense from before she got sick...

>Before he had kids.
Kids? ...Plural? If that's to be believed, you... might have had siblings at some point?
That reminds me, wasn't there was a vague theory that Judy was your sister? Not necessarily true, though.
Um... Hmm. Maybe ask Dad about Judy...? Even if she wasn't family, it stands to reason that he might have known her.
>>
No. 1046938 ID: e51896

>freezers

Ah, so the one that was already open and empty must have probably been Enid's father's freezer I guess? well, make sure you close the freezers you examined, but keep the empty freezer open since it was already open when you got here.

Also, don't touch the thermostat please, and WASH THOSE HANDS!


>I yawn. I really wish my bedroom could be nice and chilly like this. Or even colder! I just want to freeze in a big block of ice when I sleep, and then thaw out for school in the morning. That’d be the best.

That... doesn't really feel very comfortable... I don't think people would want to feel chilly to help them fall asleep, especially if they can get sick from the cold I think... Now that I think about it, do you sleep with a blanket covering you? Do you ever feel sick or get a cold?


Do you... remember ever being frozen solid at one point in your life?
>>
No. 1046951 ID: 525219

Yeah, stay away from the thermostat, this thing is trouble waiting to happen.
>>
No. 1046967 ID: e4ccf1

Waitwaitwait, I was probably hasty about the thermostat! DO lower the temperature BUT JUST THIS ONCE! For a couple of reasons:

First off, you comfort from the cold for whatever we might do next is probably going to be pretty important.

Second, I'm not sure how well your poker face is when it comes to lying to your father, or anyone else, but if you start looking guilty about something, we can use the Thermostat as a scapegoat instead of you going into forbidden areas. Changing the temperature is a lot more minor thing to get in trouble for over snooping around in forbidden areas

gonna give a little more of my reasoning in the discussion thread
>>
No. 1048020 ID: 629f2e
File 166724887925.png - (123.93KB , 500x500 , 226.png )
1048020

> That all sounds past tense from before she got sick...

Well, that’s because it is. It’s stuff I was told about her that happened in the past. That’s all I know really. She hasn’t done much recently, on account of being sick and all.

...But it’s also just stories. Dad Told me all that stuff, I didn’t Remember it or anything.

> Franklin, you're significantly more observant than you give yourself credit for. Maybe we can jump start that mental fog and get you to be a super genius like your dad!

That’s a little hard to imagine, but I’d like that. I’d just be happy if I could be as smart as my friends though. Being a genius is hard work. That’s why Albert always seems tired, and weak, and hungry. Well, that or he’s not getting enough nutrition. Probably both. He rarely ever brings lunch from home, even though he usually can't eat most of the school lunch. And it’s not like he isn’t hungry, he eats a lot when there’s a lot that he can eat.

> That... doesn't really feel very comfortable... I don't think people would want to feel chilly to help them fall asleep, especially if they can get sick from the cold I think... Now that I think about it, do you sleep with a blanket covering you? Do you ever feel sick or get a cold?

I do use a blanket when I sleep, because that keeps out monsters. Everybody knows that. I just use a thin one, and I turn the fan in my room on high before I go to bed. That always puts me right to sleep, it’s so nice.

> Do you... remember ever being frozen solid at one point in your life?

...No? That’s a weird question, not many people have been frozen I think.

Or... maybe it’s not, and I just don’t understand. When it gets cold, sometimes I feel like my body is slowing down. Maybe that’s my blood freezing in my body, and if it gets much colder I’ll freeze solid! Our bodies are 90% water, aren’t they? There’s some science to that guess.

> Dads always seem to know when you touch the thermostat. It's like a weird super power (exaggeration)
> Yeah, stay away from the thermostat, this thing is trouble waiting to happen.

Yeah, as much as I like the cold, that’s probably a good idea.

> Kids? ...Plural? If that's to be believed, you... might have had siblings at some point?

...I dunno. I don’t remember anything like that, it’s just been me and dad for as far as I can recall. If I go back to the fuzzy times though... Hmm...

No, it’s pretty much the same back then, just Flipped. It was always just me and mom I think. I guess dad was busy back then.
> That reminds me, wasn't there a vague theory that Judy was your sister? Not necessarily true, though. Um... Hmm. Maybe ask Dad about Judy...? Even if she wasn't family, it stands to reason that he might have known her.

...What do you mean was? If I had a sister, wouldn’t she still be my sister now? Unless something happened to her and she became a corpse.

Hmm... I do know more corpses than most kids though. That would explain why only I know her.

...Nope, I’m pretty sure I knew her alive, so that’s not it.

> While I think your Dad did a relatively good job of dealing with your fears, I'm not sure that mindset is good emotionally. It might further alienate people from you if say, someone else were to die and you felt nothing.

I’d absolutely feel something if somebody died! Because... they would be Gone, and that would be very sad. Just because the body stops being them doesn’t mean it isn’t sad. In fact, that’s sort of why it is.
>>
No. 1048021 ID: 629f2e
File 166724890139.png - (192.65KB , 500x500 , 227.png )
1048021

After a short walk up the staircase, dad’s room is right in front of us. Lillian and Lemmy both stand back, letting me do the honors. Nervously, with the awful thought of dad coming home and seeing us at any moment, I grab the knob and push open the door.

Inside is...

It’s just a Normal Room. Huh. I feel like I was expecting more.

Lillian: “Jackpot! Look!”

She thrusts a finger towards a desk towards the side of the room, as well as a number of Binders on the shelf above it.

Lemmy: “Well that was easy.”
Lillian: “Come on, those all look pretty full, so we don’t have time to waste.”
Franklin: “...Do we need to set a guard again?”
Lillian: “Nah, we’ll be fine. We’ll have so much warning if your dad comes home, since he’d have to come up the stairs to catch us in here.”
Lemmy: “Unless we’ve gone deaf from being around so much death.”

She slugs him in the shoulder. Looks like she’s hit her pun threshold for the time being.

Lillian: “There are at least Ten binders here. Let’s just figure out which the latest ones are and go from there.”
Franklin: “...What are we looking for again?”
Lillian: “Any sort of info that can help us. Like, see if you can find the names of anyone we know graduated.”
Lillian: “Leo, Lorenzon, Wally, anybody!”
Franklin: “...Who?”
Lemmy: “Right, you haven’t been around for as long. Well, you could always check for the recent graduates. Rodney, Jhonen, Ph-”
Lillian: “What’s That supposed to mean!?”

He withers under her sudden intensity. It was a bad suggestion on Lemmy’s part, Lillian is still worried about Phillip. The last thing she wants is to imagine him dead. I don’t like that thought either...

Lemmy: “N-Nothing!”
Lillian: “Good. It’s way too soon for us to think those guys have bit the dust. Got that?”
Lemmy: “Perfectly clear!”
Lillian: “Hey, Franklin? Lemmy and I are gonna check these files. Why don’t you try to look around somewhere else? Check the closet or the bed or something.”
Lillian: “You’re a bit less likely to catch the names we’re looking for, so we’d have to double check the ones you read anyways.”
Franklin: “That makes sense.”
>>
No. 1048022 ID: 629f2e
File 166724893537.png - (150.81KB , 500x500 , 228.png )
1048022

Actually, there is something I wanted to find, and I think I see it already. I walk over to one of the walls, and stare up at a framed image.

That’s my dad and Mom!

This was taken on their wedding night, so I wasn’t there yet. I like to think she hasn’t changed any, and still looks as beautiful and not old as she did then. Though, given how much older dad has gotten, that’s probably not realistic.

...I wish I remembered her better. I have so many nice feelings and vague recollections, but no matter how hard I try, I just can’t remember a real interaction with her.

I try once more, diving as deep into my head as I can to try and pull something. Maybe staring at her will spark something? It’s kind of a long shot, but–
>>
No. 1048023 ID: 629f2e
File 166724904012.png - (138.58KB , 500x500 , 229.png )
1048023

...

Me: “*Cough!*”

I don’t get it. My head is super warm to the touch, but I keep wanting to put on more and more blankets? Wouldn’t it make more sense to dunk my head in ice instead? Why do I feel cold if I feel warm? Bodies are stupid.

I guess it’s kind of nice not going to school. I wonder if anybody there misses me? Probably not Jesse. Jesse is mean.

I wish he’d be my friend though. Is that weird? He isn’t mean to his friends, just me I think. So if I was friends with him, then he’d stop being mean.

Me: “*COUGH!* *COUGH!* Owwww...”

My throat hurts. It feels like there are cuts in it. I just wanna drink medicine and feel good, but instead I had to drink strawberry gross flavored medicine and still feel bad. If it wasn’t going to do anything, I should have just drank something good instead.

My door creaks open, as a familiar face peeks through.

Mom: “Hey, you still awake?”
Me: “Mm-hmm.”
>>
No. 1048024 ID: 629f2e
File 166724906161.png - (185.31KB , 500x500 , 230.png )
1048024

I smile at her, as she comes in with a bowl of something steamy on a tray.

Mom: “Here, this should make you feel better. It’s an ancient ritual passed down by generations.”
Me: “Did you have to sacrifice anything alive to make it?”
Mom: “An innocent chicken gave its life for this concoction.”
Me: “Good. It wouldn’t be a very good ritual if just any chicken would do. We have standards.”
Mom: “See? You get it. Now eat up and feel better so that I can have the house to myself again.”

She sets the tray down on my lap and gets up to leave. I grab her by the back of her shirt.

Me: “Kiss first.”
Mom: “We only have enough of that concoction stocked up for one of us to be sick. Can’t take your germs right now.”
Me: “Just on the head?”

She rolls her eyes, but does it anyway. It’s warm, which feels good for reasons I already decided were dumb and backwards.

Mom: “Seriously, start feeling better already. Can’t be good to miss this much school, as awesome as it probably feels.”

She gives me one more smile, leaving me feeling warmer than I did before she came. Probably because of the steam from the soup, but I like to think love was part of it.

...

...Huh. That was... Familiar.
>>
No. 1048027 ID: 59c1f2

That's... odd.

Franklin, didn't you tell us earlier your mom was... mute? If it was true that she was mute, then In your memory, how was she was able to speak with you clearly like she did?
>>
No. 1048157 ID: 8483cf

>>1048027
Yeah, this doesn't line up with it.

Wait, if Mom is sick, shouldn't she be getting the Ritual too? Time to find some chickens!
>>
No. 1048584 ID: 629f2e
File 166776164904.png - (103.54KB , 500x500 , 235.png )
1048584

> That's... odd.

> Franklin, didn't you tell us earlier your mom was... mute? If it was true that she was mute, then In your memory, how was she able to speak with you clearly like she did?

...

...Huh? What do you...?

I heard her really clearly in my memory though. She said a lot of sweet things to make me feel nice, just like she always did. She can totally talk.

...But... She’s mute. Dad said so. That’s why she can’t say anything back when I talk to her through the door. But, if that’s true, then I shouldn’t remember her talking. I do though.

...

Maybe it’s me? My memories are unreliable, so maybe...

No. I don’t want to doubt a nice memory like that. That happened, I won’t accept that it didn’t. Plus, I’m sure that’s how mom always was before she got sick. It feels too familiar, I’m sure of it.

So... If my memory was real, then... Mom isn’t mute.

But if mom isn’t mute... and dad told me that she was...

Then... Dad Lied?

...

No. Wait, that’s not it. Something still wouldn’t make sense in that case. I talked to mom a lot while she was recovering, but she Never said anything back. She could talk in my memory, but maybe something happened that made it so she can’t talk Anymore? If that were true, then dad wouldn’t be a liar, my memory wouldn’t be wrong, and everything would make sense.

I mean... I don’t remember anything that could have caused that, but there are lots of things I don’t remember. It could have even happened while I was at school or playing outside, so there’d be no reason for me to remember it. Really, I think that makes more sense than the alternative, doesn’t it? After all, why would dad even want to lie about something like that?
>>
No. 1048585 ID: 629f2e
File 166776167043.png - (195.18KB , 500x500 , 236.png )
1048585

Lillian: “What the–!?

I blink, snapping out of my thoughts. Good timing, that topic was over. Nothing else to think about there.

Lemmy: “What? Find something?”
Lillian: “That’s... No. Is this a joke or something? Hey, Franklin, did your dad slip a gag binder in with the rest?”
Franklin: “I don’t know if he did. Is something wrong?”
Lillian: “Literally every word written in this binder.”
Lemmy: “Awww lucky! The two I’ve been through were all just Autopsy Reports. I would have died of boredom reading them, but I forced myself not to since that’d just add another to the pile.”
Lemmy: “So what kind of screwed up junk did you find?”
Lillian: “It’s like...”

She glances back down at the binder, and then back at me. The look on her face is uncertain, like she can’t decide what to do.

Lillian: “...Okay, wait. Franklin, do you remember when we were talking about your mom earlier?”
Franklin: “Um... Oh! On the way to Temmie’s house. I remember that.”
Lemmy: “Well that’s totally off topic. I’m just gonna read that while you have this chat, okay?”
Lillian: “Yeah, fine. Keep it to yourself though.”

She picks it up and flips to a page, before shoving it into Lemmy’s chest. I also want to know what it says, but I get the feeling Lillian’s building it up for a reason. I’ll let her do her thing first.

Lillian: “Franklin, I asked you what your mom was like, and you couldn’t really give me a straight answer.”
Lillian: “I get that you’re going through something, but I need a straightforward answer here.”
Lillian: “Why don’t you remember her?”
Franklin: “...Because my memory is bad?”
Lillian: “Is that really it?”
Franklin: “...Hmm...”

Is there something wrong with that answer? My memory Is bad.

Maybe she’s wondering if there’s some other reason I don’t remember my mom well. I guess there kind of is, but that might go into stuff I’m not supposed to talk about.

...I did say I’d tell you guys more about myself, as long as I was comfortable with it. To be honest, I’m not totally sure about you guys... But I know Lillian, and if I ask her not to tell anyone, then she won’t. She’s a good friend.
>>
No. 1048586 ID: 629f2e
File 166776169323.png - (158.50KB , 500x500 , 237.png )
1048586

Without saying a word (so that Lemmy doesn’t hear), I motion to the door. We step out of the room together.

Franklin: “...Um, I guess there’s one other reason.”
Lillian: “So it isn’t just bad memory.”
Franklin: “Well, it sort of is? But there’s a reason my memory is bad, which makes it the reason that I don’t remember mom well too.”
Lillian: “...I just thought you were born that way.”
Franklin: “Well, I don’t remember what I was like when I was born, so that could be true also.”
Franklin: “...”
Lillian: “Hey, don’t space out on me before the important bits.”
Franklin: “...Oh, sorry. Um...”
Franklin: “...A while back, I had an Accident. Not like wetting the bed or something, but the kind where you get hurt.”
Lillian: “Shoot, really?”
Franklin: “Mm-hmm. I don’t really remember it though. Everything before that is either fuzzy, or just not there.”
Lillian: “Wait wait, when did this happen?”
Franklin: “Hmmm... It was before I started going to school. I think... a Week before then?”

I double check my memory, and that feels right. I remember recovering at home for about a week, give or take a day, and then dad was sending me off for my first day of school.

Lillian doesn’t seem too shocked, clearly considering something. I’m starting to think that the file she was reading had something to do with me. She hasn’t told me what was in it, and she started asking questions about me after reading it. I think that makes sense. What did it say though?

Lillian: “So... What happened to you?”
Franklin: “I lost my head.”
Lillian: “...You mean, you lost your mind?”
Franklin: “That too. The whole thing came right off!”
Lillian: “I... what?”
Franklin: “Yeah, I was running around the house too fast, bumped a wall while turning, and my whole head Came Off.
Franklin: “Dad put it back on, but when it came off a bunch of important stuff spilled out the neck hole. Blood, brains, and Memories.
Franklin: “The carpet absorbed most of it, and that’s why we have hardwood floors now.”

Oh. She’s making that face now. The one that means “you are saying insane things, Franklin”. I wonder where I lost her?

Lillian: “That’s... Franklin, that’s just not possible.”
Franklin: “Why not?”
Lillian: “Because if your head came off, you’d just... die. You wouldn’t come back afterwards.”
Franklin: “...But I did.”
Lillian: “Look, I don’t think your dad is telling the truth about what really caused your memory problems.”
Franklin: “...But... That happened. I’m sure of it.”
Lillian: “I thought you didn’t remember.”
Franklin: “I don’t, but...”

My hands grip the collar of my turtleneck tightly. This is deep into the “not supposed to talk about it” territory. Also, it’s just kind of... Creepy. I don’t want her to see it.

Franklin: “...Promise not to tell anyone.”
Lillian: “About wh– Y’know what, doesn’t matter. Promise.
Franklin: “...”
>>
No. 1048587 ID: 629f2e
File 166776174626.png - (141.55KB , 500x500 , 238.png )
1048587

Franklin: “This is why I’m sure.”
>>
No. 1048601 ID: 22eda9

Franklin, I think I understand why you're the only one in Cattenom we can talk to directly. You Died. We're Dead. (I guess?) However, you're still alive after dying because of your Dad's quick thinking; people are still conscious while beheaded... for about 30 seconds or so.

I do have some bad news to come with this revelation, however; a Grave Message (Sorry for the Lemmyism) so to speak- when we were guiding Albert, he was given a foretelling by a Seer (aka: Not Temmie);
“Within 48 hours, you will scream with terror as your friend is Beheaded before your eyes.”
It might be possible to avoid, but if it isn't...

Regardless of how things turn out for you and your Dad relations, I think it's safe to say that he still cares about you. If he's lied about something, it's probably to keep you safe- whether that be literally or emotionally.

That being said, I recommend that you either;
A: Have your Dad check up on your neck
or
B: See if he's up for accompanying you for the rest of the day. (Awkward as it may be, I don't think anyone else is capable of even attempting to reattach your head a second time.)


...Also, I'd like to suggest you really double down on making sure neither of them say anything about it. That does include Lemmy, just in case.
Maybe tell Albert the next chance you get though, so he can put forward whatever countermeasures he thinks would help.
>>
No. 1048609 ID: 8483cf

>>“Yeah, I was running around the house too fast, bumped a wall while turning, and my whole head Came Off.”

First off that's HARD CORE DUDE

I've taken some pretty nasty corners and my head never came off. Are you sure that's how it happened?

Well, no need to go into too many details. Just saying that maybe this isn't, physiologically, how that happened. Unless your house has guillotines just hanging around, the wound type is inconsistent with the scar.
>>
No. 1048936 ID: e51896

>>1048601
>Franklin, I think I understand why you're the only one in Cattenom we can talk to directly. You Died. We're Dead. (I guess?) However, you're still alive after dying

Temmie can hear us too though.
Also, I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet Whether Franklin died or not.

And hmmm... I don't know if we should talk to Dad just yet or have him accompany franklin for the rest of the day until we get more answers.

Anyways, a couple of my two cents: maybe that is why you have a cool lizard tail! just like how your head possibly got reattached, maybe you're dad attached a lizard tail onto you for some reason, and that nose of yours... it does look different than it does from your memories.

And I'm starting to wonder if this binder Lillian has is what Jhonen was chasing you about before he was sent away... which means he had been snooping in unauthorized places... but then again maybe not...

...
>>
No. 1048965 ID: e51896

...

I just realized something, Franklin, and I'd like to get your thoughts to make sure we got facts straight: You told Lilian that you had your accident the week BEFORE you started school...

yet in that memory of your mom you had, your mom told you to get better from your sickness so you can get back to school, which means you may have actually HAVE been to school BEFORE your accident, even though you just stated you started school the week AFTER your accident.

Of course, maybe your mom got sick sometime AFTER your accident and after you started school, but that doesn't seem... possible.

As you stated, your mom got sick a looooong time ago, long enough for you to not remember her clearly. and I think you'd probably remember her a lot more than just a silhouette as you did in that memory if she took care of your sickness AFTER your accident and sometime after you started school and met Roger and the gang... after all, that was only two and a half years ago... and you'd really should still be able to keep new memories of what she looked like clearly if she took care of you AFTER your accident since you didn't lose your head and lose your memories again after your accident... yet your memories of what she looked like was still foggy... which is why I'm thinking that memory took place BEFORE your accident

...


I think I recommend you having a sit down with Lilian and get yourself comfortable before continuing your conversation with Lilian. Maybe grab a pillow or a soft toy you really like.

And then, Talk to Lilian about your memories of your mother, like this recent one you had, and talk about the confusing contradictions I mentioned like your mom not being mute, and the time period of when you actually started school. Your memories may be unreliable like you said, but I think they're more reliable than you think, and your friends will help straighten things out for you to make them more clearer. They care about you after all, and they want to help you. You just have to believe in them, I think you do too, you trusted Lilian enough to show her your scars after all.
>>
No. 1049114 ID: 22eda9

...Hopefully there's enough time for that.
>>
No. 1049370 ID: 629f2e
File 166856257872.png - (130.63KB , 500x500 , 241.png )
1049370

Lillian’s response is... Subdued. She’s surprised, but not as much as I had expected. That seals it, the binder was definitely something about me. About this.

Lillian: “...Can I?”

She has her arm up. I nod. Slowly, she traces the scar around my neck with her fingers. It kind of tickles.

Lillian: “Okay. This is... Real.
Lillian: “Thank you for showing me this. I don’t know if I’d be able to accept it otherwise. Hard not to when it’s right in front of me.”
Franklin: “It’s okay if you know. I trust you.”
Franklin: “So... You believe me now?”
Lillian: “Oh I’ve always believed in you. What you should be asking is: Do I buy the story your dad told you?”
Franklin: “...Well... Do you?”

She sighs.

Lillian: “Well, I guess in a way I can say I believe your dad. Just not how you want me to.”
Franklin: “I’m not following.”

She nods back towards the door.

Lillian: “There’s something I think you should read. Uh, pull that up if you don’t want Lemmy to see it.”

I really don’t want that. I don’t know if there are any good neck or scar puns, but if I ever hear them then I’ll never be able to stop thinking about them whenever I think of this, and I think about this A Lot. I can’t risk hearing them.

Lillian reaches for the doorknob, but freezes midway. She clenches her hand, before turning back to me.

Lillian: “Look, this is... a lot. It really needs to be prefaced.”
Lillian: “Franklin, I want to tell you something that I think is going to freak you out.”
Franklin: “...You want to freak me out?”
Lillian: “No! It’s just Unavoidable!
Franklin: “Oh. Okay.”
Lillian: “...Listen, I don’t have to tell you if you don’t want to hear it. I won’t force you to face something like That.
Franklin: “Why would I not want to know?”
Lillian: “See, now that’s a great question. Problem is, I have no clue what’s going through your mind, but you were happy not knowing before.”
Franklin: “I was? ...I don’t remember that.”
Lillian: “Really? Are you Sure about that?”
Franklin: “...”

I don’t say yes.

Lillian: “...Yeah, thought so.”
Franklin: “...”
Lillian: “Franklin, be real with me. Last night, when you got home after you came to my place with Albert, what happened?”
Lillian: “You ran into Lemmy, and then you passed out, right?”
Franklin: “Yes.”
Lillian: “So, Where did you find Lemmy?”
Franklin: “...”
>>
No. 1049385 ID: 629f2e
File 166856304427.png - (145.02KB , 500x500 , 242.png )
1049385

Where did I find Lemmy?

I came home, and I sat down on the couch. I was tired from all the walking and wanted to rest. Then I heard something. In retrospect, I guess it was probably him.

The sound surprised me, so I got up and walked towards it. It was coming from... somewhere I hadn’t heard noise from in the past. The last place I would ever think to check for an intruder.

I saw the doorknob move, which wasn’t supposed to happen. It was a door that I wasn’t supposed to see open, but then I thought about what it could mean. Maybe it was a miracle? I thought I was witnessing something incredible, and that things were going to get better. After all everything that had been going on, I thought something like that would have been a nice balance.

But, then the door opened, and... What was behind it was...

Franklin: “...I think...”
Franklin: “Maybe... I Misunderstood something.”
Lillian: “Misunderstood what?”
Franklin: “...I don’t know... I guess it goes pretty deep. I don’t even understand what it is that I don’t understand.”
Franklin: “Isn’t that scary?”
Lillian: “Hey, Franklin, it’s going to be okay.”
Franklin: “Huh? It’s going to be? So, it isn’t right now?”
Franklin: “...I’m more lost than I thought.”
>>
No. 1049386 ID: 629f2e
File 166856305593.png - (233.69KB , 500x500 , 243.png )
1049386

She says something, but I don’t hear it. My head feels light...

I can see things moving. The door to dad's room opens, and suddenly my face gets buried in something soft. A bedsheet? I’m kind of numb, so I don’t really feel it. Lillian is talking again, and I think Lemmy is too? Their voices sound so far away though...

...It feels like my body isn’t mine.

Franklin is dissociating. +10 Fear

Party Fear Levels:
[Franklin: 60/100]

>>
No. 1049387 ID: 629f2e
File 166856306444.png - (140.15KB , 500x500 , 244.png )
1049387

...

???: “Hey... Hey, Wake Up kiddo.”

I moan, letting out a powerful yawn before blinking my eyes open. It's still dark out, but there’s a lamp turned on in the room. Dad is standing next to me, looking unhappy.

Dad: “What are you doing out here this late?”
Me: “...Sleeping?”
Dad: “On the couch?”
Me: “The wha–? *yawn*”

I sit up, still feeling groggy. Sure enough, this isn’t my room. Why did I fall asleep here of all places? A quick turn to my side quickly reminds me what’s going on. I see the Board sitting out right where I left it, and all the Pieces in place.

Me: “Oh. I was waiting for you to come home so that we could play.”
Dad: “Waiting– It’s past midnight! You should have been in bed hours ago– Where’s your sister?”
Me: “...Sleeping?”
Dad: “And why didn’t you follow her example?”
Me: “...Because... you said we could play tonight.”

That’s right. I’ve been waiting to play this game ever since my birthday, but I wanna do it with my whole family. This was supposed to be the night. Dad promised he’d come home early.

Dad: “When did I say that?”
Me: “Last week, when you said that you’d come home early to–”
Dad: “Ah, that. No, you misunderstood me. It should have been obvious hours ago that I didn’t mean tonight.”
Dad: “Your mother and I had a gathering at Brian’s to attend. Have to keep my constituents happy if you like your nice warm dinners. Did your sister cook something nice for the both of you?”

She did, but I don’t answer his question. I’m too focused on what he said before. Did I really misunderstand him?

But... I remember that he said “This Sunday” back then, which is today. He said it! I’m sure he said it. He said he’d play tonight!

Me: “...You said tonight.”
Dad: “Hmm?”
Me: “Last Sunday, you said we’d play this–”
Dad: “For god’s sake, are you too much of a baby to accept when you’re wrong? Have I failed you as a father that badly? Were you raised to never admit to being wrong?”
Me: “N-No. But–”
Dad: “But what? Are you saying that I Lied to you or not?”
Me: “No, I’m not saying–”
Dad: “Then if I said what I meant, then that means you Heard me wrong, didn’t you?”
Me: “I... I...”

My mind goes blank.

I feel stupid for even speaking, why would I call my own dad a liar like that? It’s so gross... I just want to get out of this conversation now.

Me: “...Sorry.”
Dad: “See? That’s all it takes. Now, why don’t you clean this up, and we can talk about playing it later, okay?”
Me: “Okay...”
Dad: “I think I should have a night off next week. Why don’t we set a date tomorrow morning, before I go to work? Promise.”
Me: “Okay.”

He’s usually asleep when I get up for school. If I wake him up, he’ll get mad. He probably doesn’t actually mean morning, I’d be stupid if I assumed he did.

He tussles my hair and kisses me on the head.

Dad: “Night champ. I love you.”
Me: “Love you too.”

I start putting the pieces back in their bags. I guess it should have been obvious that this wasn’t going to happen once Judy went to bed. She’d put a curse on me if I woke her up.

...We’ll get to play another night. He promised after all! Dad... wouldn’t break his promises.

That’s right. He wouldn’t...

I guess... I really did Misunderstand.

...
>>
No. 1049388 ID: 629f2e
File 166856307396.png - (139.70KB , 500x500 , 245.png )
1049388

> …

> I just realized something, Franklin, and I'd like to get your thoughts to make sure we got facts straight: You told Lilian that you had your accident the week BEFORE you started school...

> Yet in that memory of your mom you had, your mom told you to get better from your sickness so you can get back to school, which means you may have actually HAVE been to school BEFORE your accident, even though you just started school the week AFTER your accident.

...None of it makes sense. The more I try to piece it all together, the more I run into contradictions like this.

I don’t want my memories of mom to be wrong, but everything falls apart when I try to accept them.

> I think I recommend sit down and get yourself comfortable before continuing your conversation with Lilian.

Lillian... Lillian!

I sit up quickly, before getting woozy and laying back down. I can hear her talking again, a lot clearer than before.

Lillian: “Franklin!”
Lemmy: “Finally! Yeesh, you picked a good time to go deadweight on us. We’d be dead if we had to wait any longer for you.”
Franklin: “...What happened?”
Lillian: “You worked yourself up and passed out.”
Lemmy: “Again! How many times am I gonna have to watch you collapse?”
Franklin: “Oh... When did we move to my room?”

Last I remember we had been in dad’s room, but now I’m lying on my own bed.

Lillian: “Your dad got back, so we dragged you over here quickly. He hasn’t come upstairs yet, but better safe than sorry.”
Franklin: “Oh...”
Lillian: “...Are you feeling okay?”
Franklin: “...I feel better?”

> I've taken some pretty nasty corners and my head never came off. Are you sure that's how it happened?

I dunno. It made sense to me at the time, but now...

If nothing else, it sounds believable. Limbs are easy to pull off if you put enough force in. That was how Jhonen found out about my scars.

> I do have some bad news to come with this revelation, however; a Grave Message (Sorry for the Lemmyism) so to speak- when we were guiding Albert, he was given a foretelling by a Seer (aka: Not Temmie);

> “Within 48 hours, you will scream with terror as your friend is Beheaded before your eyes.”

> It might be possible to avoid, but if it isn't...

That’s... very bad sounding. Is it supposed to be me? I don’t want it to be, but it’s not much better if it’s one of our other friends either. I am the only kid in town whose lost his head at least once already, I think.

I hope it’s not as bad as it sounds, because it sounds really bad.

> Regardless of how things turn out for you and your Dad relations, I think it's safe to say that he still cares about you. If he's lied about something, it's probably to keep you safe- whether that be literally or emotionally.

...If dad lied to me... then how can I believe whatever reason he gives for why he lied?

Obviously, I can’t tell when he’s telling me the truth or not. I wouldn’t be having all these problems if I could. That’s why this is all so troubling.

> Talk to Lilian about your memories of your mother, like this recent one you had, and talk about the confusing contradictions I mentioned like your mom not being mute, and the time period of when you actually started school. Your memories may be unreliable like you said, but I think they're more reliable than you think, and your friends will help straighten things out for you to make them more clearer. They care about you after all, and they want to help you.

...I think... I may have been trying not to ask them before. I guess I could have asked Lemmy where I found him whenever I wanted to clear things up. I didn’t though. I was scared of what he’d say.

Not dealing with my memories hasn’t really worked out for me so far. If I’m gonna feel so much dread by thinking about the worst possibilities, then maybe I’d be better off learning the truth once and for all. After all, I can dread it forever, but I can only have it confirmed once. Then it can’t hurt me anymore!

> Franklin, I think I understand why you're the only one in Cattenom we can talk to directly.

> You Died.

...But I’m still alive. What are you talking about?

> People are still conscious while beheaded... for about 30 seconds or so.

Okay? So Dad is a really good doctor then. That doesn’t mean I Died, it means that dad works quickly.

I appreciate all of the ideas you guys are tossing out, but I don’t think you thought that one through. People who die stay dead. Even if your heart stops and a doctor restarts it, that isn’t really death. It’s just one part of you not working and then starting back up. Dead is when it all stops, and there’s nothing more to you. There’s no coming back from that.

...I can figure out which theory ended up being right if I just talk to one person... maybe. I still don’t know exactly what was in that binder.
>>
No. 1049390 ID: 629f2e
File 166856308166.png - (144.25KB , 500x500 , 246.png )
1049390

Franklin: “...Lil–”

A roar from downstairs interrupts me, sending a shiver down my spine.

Dad: “JUNIOR! I demand your presence in the living room!”

Uh oh, that did not sound like a happy shout.

I quickly hop out of bed. The others look nervous, so I quickly assure them that it’ll probably be fine maybe. It doesn’t do much, but I don’t have any more time. I rush downstairs, meeting my dad in the living room. He has a very irritated expression, but I’m not sure why.

Franklin: “Hi dad.”
Dad: “Junior, do we need a refresher on the rules of this household?”
Franklin: “...I didn’t put any corpses in the kitchen.”
Dad: “Ah, so you do remember them. Then allow me to pose a different question to you.”
Dad: “HAVE YOU DARED TO BREACH THE SANCTITY OF MY LAB WITH YOUR UNSTERILIZED GERM-RIDDEN HANDS!?!?”

Ohhh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I did do that.
>>
No. 1049394 ID: 8483cf

>Not dealing with my memories hasn’t really worked out for me so far. If I’m gonna feel so much dread by thinking about the worst possibilities, then maybe I’d be better off learning the truth once and for all. After all, I can dread it forever, but I can only have it confirmed once. Then it can’t hurt me anymore!

This is actually very important. Don’t ask Dad about it, though. He might say you MISUNDERSTOOD even having a sister, and that’s bad. Be careful bringing this up with your dad.

You have a sister!!!

…Had a sister?

Where is she now? This is a big question.

What else have you misunderstood? Can you pull that thread? For example, do you remember what board game you wanted to play? Did your sister ever play it with you?

Oh yeah by the way yes you did desecrate the lab, but that was all. DO NOT TELL HIM YOU LET GUESTS IN.
>>
No. 1049398 ID: e51896

Apologize for not washing your hands.
I think that is the most Franklin answer i can think of.
>>
No. 1049402 ID: 15c72a

>>1049390
Yes.
Tell him what parts of the lab you touched, so he can clean them.
>>
No. 1049439 ID: 22eda9

>I guess it should have been obvious that this wasn’t going to happen once Judy went to bed. She’d put a curse on me if I woke her up.
...Judy? There's only so many people with that name, so surely it's her, right?
Sounds like the 'sister' theory was... right?

If Dad seems like he's not going to answer questions, you can at least still see what kind of reaction he makes upon saying Judy's name, for example.

Asking about Graduation now could be awkward, but I don't know how much time we have left.

We might need to head back to get Temmie soon.

>Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I did do that.
Luckily, you didn't mess with the temperature! He would probably have been harder to talk to if you did.
...But yes, you totally did do that. I'm not sure the others' hands were clean, either, but for the sake of covering for them, let's say that was also you.

You definitely don't have guests over, and even if you did, they had nothing to do with entering the Lab.

...

...This isn't a suggestion I'd like to make, but...
You could say you were looking for Judy. It could backfire horribly, and I want to believe she's alive.

If Judy is in fact, dead, and is in fact, your sister, this would probably deal a high amount of emotional damage to your Dad.
I'm not saying I wish that upon either of you, but it could distract him if you need it.
>>
No. 1049440 ID: 22eda9

...However, if Judy merely Graduated, then this might strike your Dad as a very strange thing to say.

It might not be safe to jump to conclusions like this, so maybe just keep the thought on hand.
>>
No. 1049448 ID: a2d88b

Franklin, your dad lied.

Not necessarily when he told you you could play together: Back then, he was merely stating his plans.

But when things didn't go according to plan, he failed to phone home to warn you, then lied to you to cover that up, probably because he can't admit to being at fault.
>>
No. 1050199 ID: 629f2e
File 166942855613.png - (217.20KB , 500x500 , 247.png )
1050199

> Yes.

> Oh yeah by the way yes you did desecrate the lab, but that was all. DO NOT TELL HIM YOU LET GUESTS IN.

> Apologize for not washing your hands.

Franklin: “...Yes, I went into the lab. Sorry for not washing my hands.”
Dad: “Confession! You admit that you flagrantly broke one of the most important rules of this house!”
Franklin: “I do.”
Dad: “Have you any defense for your actions?”
Franklin: “...”

I don’t think saying the real reason would be a good idea, so I need a made up one.

> You could say you were looking for Judy.

Franklin: “I was looking for Judy.
Dad: “What, were you playing hide and seek with a friend? Did you fail to inform them of the room’s status of being restricted?”
Franklin: “No... I just didn’t know where she was.”
Dad: “And you suspected she might be in my laboratory why?
Franklin: “...Well... I figured she’d be in this house, and it was the only room I hadn’t checked besides yours and mom’s bedrooms.”
Dad: “Why would your friend be Here?
Franklin: “Not my friend. Judy.”
Dad: “Junior, you’re saying that name like I’m supposed to know who it is. I believe that I’ve been very clear regarding how well I remember the names of all you kids.”
Dad: “That is to say that I never actually bother learning them, and so I never will.”

Does he really not know? Maybe having a bad memory really is genetic, he has to remember Judy.

> Sounds like the 'sister' theory was... right

I haven’t had much time to really sit with the realization, but that last memory when I wasn’t feeling well finally made it clear why I keep thinking about Judy so much. She’s my Big Sister! It feels obvious saying it now, but I really couldn’t remember at all before.

...She’s probably Graduated. In fact, she should be 18 by now if my memory is right, so she should have gotten out of high school. Maybe I can use this topic to move into talking about all that stuff with dad. I want to know what he’ll say about it.

Franklin: “...I’m talking about my big sister.”
Dad: “...”
Dad: “Have you forged my signature on an adoption form without my permission?”
Franklin: “...I don’t think so?”
Dad: “Then I feel confident in saying that you are and have always been an Only Child. I’m uncertain where this delusion of yours originates, but it is a clear fiction.”

...
>>
No. 1050200 ID: 629f2e
File 166942856948.png - (149.82KB , 500x500 , 248.png )
1050200

Again, I’m going through what little I remember and what I’ve been told, and none of it makes sense when put together.

Judy is my sister according to what I recall, but what dad is saying is that she doesn’t even exist. There isn’t an explanation that makes both of these true. Even if there was, it’s not the only one.

Why did I remember school and interacting with other kids in that memory where I was sick and mom was taking care of me? I didn’t start going to school until after the accident, and mom was healthy before then, according to dad.

Mom is Mute and can’t talk, and that’s why she’s never responded when I talk to her through her door, according to dad.

Even though I remember... I’m not allowed to open that door, because mom is recovering from her illness in there, according to dad.

...My memories aren’t... good. I don’t put a lot of weight into them, even when I really want to believe they’re right. My head is just too untrustworthy to believe in it over anyone else. If it was just my memories versus dad’s word... I’d probably believe in him.

But it isn’t. Temmie told me that Judy exists. That’s real, and I don’t have to believe in myself to know it’s true. I can believe in her, and I do. But if that’s true...

Then... Dad is Lying.

...About a Lot of things, I think.
>>
No. 1050201 ID: 629f2e
File 166942859508.png - (217.93KB , 500x500 , 249.png )
1050201

Franklin: “...”
Franklin: “...Oh. Sorry, I got Confused. I thought I had a sister.”
Dad: “How did you come to such a highly incorrect conclusion?”
Franklin: “...Ummm... I dunno. How do we think about any of the things we think of?”
Franklin: “I’m sorry I went into the lab. I was really worried about Judy, and I wanted to be sure she was okay. Knowing she doesn’t exist feels better, because that means it’s all okay.”
Dad: “You can’t be invading the restricted areas of this morgue every time you delude yourself into believing something crazy.”
Dad: “With how common that is, the rules may as well not exist.”
Franklin: “I promise not to do it again. Unless I forget that I promised not to. I’m sorry if that happens.”
Dad: “...”
Dad: “Alright. But the next time this happens, I’ll rip out your arms and stick needles underneath your fingernails.”
Franklin: “That sounds incredibly painful. I don’t want needles under my fingernails...”
Dad: “That’s what makes it an excellent deterrent.”

Looking satisfied, dad walks back to his lab and shuts the door behind him, leaving me standing in the living room by myself.

...I didn’t even bother asking about graduation. He was just going to lie about it, just like all the other stuff he’s said.

...
>>
No. 1050202 ID: 629f2e
File 166942861873.png - (197.17KB , 500x500 , 250.png )
1050202

I head back upstairs to my bedroom. The others are still there.

Lillian: “Everything okay?”
Franklin: “It’s fine.”
Lemmy: “Really? I could have sworn you were about to get some nasty punishment with how he was yelling. How am I supposed to make a pun if there was no punishment?”
Franklin: “...I’m sure you’ll find a way.”
Franklin: “...Lillian?”
Lillian: “I know, I know. You wanna hear that stuff I was gonna show you earlier, don’t you?”

I nod. She seems hesitant, probably because I freaked out earlier. I appreciate the concern, but I also really want to know what she read.

Lemmy: “I still think it sounds like a joke without a punchline. Wouldn’t put much stock into it being true.”
Lillian: “It’s True. I’m sure of it.”
Lemmy: “...Uh, okay?”

She looks right at me. I guess some of the stuff I told her about is what’s making her certain.

Lillian: “...There’s no good way to say this, so I’m just gonna blurt it out. Try to stay calm, okay?”
Franklin: “...I can only promise to try–”
Lillian: “You Died.

...

...

...Wait, that one spirit was right!?
>>
No. 1050203 ID: 8483cf

I'm gonna backtrack a little bit. Dad didn't even flinch when we said "Judy" the first time. Maybe we're genuinely confused?

Perhaps death did a number on your head after all. But still, Dad is super suspicious about the whole "Mom is mute and quarantined, trust me."

This is all very confusing.
>>
No. 1050208 ID: 15c72a

>>1050202
So you died, then were brought back to life via experimental science? And due to having been dead for a while, your memories were damaged? Or maybe... ask if they operated on your brain.

Do you remember Judy ever calling you by name?
>>
No. 1050218 ID: 22eda9

I'm... hmm. It feels nice to see my hunches being right, but the other spirit's right, we should backpedal a bit.
Dad had seemingly no reaction whatsoever, which is... odd.

>Maybe we're genuinely confused?
With a situation as complex as Franklin's, it would be weirder if we weren't wrong or confused about something, what's important is trying to work through it.

So... in my opinion, I'm not sure I think Franklin's Dad was lying in this situation, because I'd rather not believe that he's so heartless as to forget his own daughter's name.
At the same time, I don't want to disregard Franklin's memories.

Normally, this would present a pretty serious contradiction, and I believe that contradiction is the key, rather than a "It's one or the other" situation.

Seeing as I've had a few good hunches, I'd like to the idea out there that maybe "Franklin is actually from another world" - or so to speak that "Franklin has memories from two different worlds."
This is obviously a really out there idea, but it doesn't feel that unconvincing. I'm not sure how that would really work though...
Not sure Lillian or Lemmy would buy it though.

An alternative theory I have is that Franklin's Dad somehow genuinely erased his own memories as an alternative method to deal with/avoid grief.
While it might sound more plausible to you all, I'm not really sure I truly believe this theory.

...Granted, all of what I'm saying here is more relevant to Franklin's Dad remembering Judy, and not necessarily Franklin's Mom, which is a separate issue that still needs to be looked into. No amount of theorizing is going to un-schrodinger the cat-box.

On that note... Franklin, do you think you're ready?
>>
No. 1050219 ID: 15c72a

>>1050218
(I think it's more likely that Franklin has brain parts from a different kid. Just like he's clearly got other foreign parts on his body. I don't want to give Franklin an obvious way to walk back his newfound realization that his Dad is a liar, though. He's definitely lying about Franklin's mother. Mostly because the room his mother is supposed to be inside... is a closet.)
>>
No. 1050319 ID: 22eda9

>>1050219
(Right, I was trying to clarify, but maybe it wasn't clear enough.)

Even if he's not lying about Judy, who definitely exists/existed somewhere - just maybe not this world ((sequel foreshadowing?)) he's for sure still lying about something.
It's hard to find someone in this Cattenom who isn't lying or hiding some kind of secret, so surely your Dad is no exception, Franklin.
...Yes, even you, even Enid. Everyone has their reasons.

Also, idle thought, but maybe the memory Dad is a different Dad...


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason