[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
In memory of Flyin' Black Jackson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 69151)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 24201 unique user posts. View catalog

File 125642462184.png - (454.42KB , 800x600 , 5title.png )
69151 No. 69151 ID: f98e0b

...think it's working, doctor. We're running directly visually, though, since he has no uplink. That could cause some problems on the client end."
Expand all images
>>
No. 69153 ID: f98e0b
File 12564246937.png - (9.63KB , 800x600 , 204.png )
69153

"You mean purely visual problems, yes?"

"Of course, doctor."

"Good. Hello, Mr. Sahir. Can you hear me?"
>>
No. 69158 ID: 632862

>>69153
"Yes. I can't see, though. Is there a problem?"
>>
No. 69160 ID: f98e0b
File 125642635470.png - (47.68KB , 800x600 , 205.png )
69160

"Yes. I can't see, though. Is there a problem?"

"To be expected, actually. The anesthetic will have that effect since we can't link directly to your mind. You should be experiencing a feeling of detached weightlessness right now, we've disconnected your sense of physical touch for surgery.

"I'm injecting a follow-up that should make your vision a little clearer. Hold on..."
>>
No. 69161 ID: f98e0b
File 125642638422.png - (12.35KB , 800x600 , 206.png )
69161

"Better?"
>>
No. 69163 ID: 9891a9

>>69161
"Much."
>>
No. 69165 ID: f98e0b
File 125642706792.png - (22.04KB , 800x600 , 207.png )
69165

"Much."

"Okay, good. Beginning the procedure. Selected modifications are highlighted on your dispaly. Can you see that?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Mr. Sahir, it is your right to retain consciousness during the procedure to oversee the surgery personally, should you choose to accept it. There will be no tactile sensation, but it can be understandably disturbing to remain conscious as doctors fiddle around with your innards. Would you like me to put you under?"
>>
No. 69169 ID: ac3813

"Now'd be helluva time to stop trusting you guys. If you wanted me harm you wouldn't need to fiddle around with my surgery. Put me under, thanks."
>>
No. 69170 ID: 682af8

It's not really about trust, it's valuable to stay awake to have a better understanding of what they're doing. Come on, it'll be cool.
>>
No. 69172 ID: 276781

Stay awake, Osmen. This is the world you live in now, drink it in and enjoy the alien aspects of it!
>>
No. 69175 ID: f98e0b
File 125642857968.png - (33.26KB , 800x600 , 208.png )
69175

"I'll stay awake. I kind of want to watch."

"Alright then. I'll start with the freakiest part, opening your head up to stick in the uplink. I'm disabling your eye movement at this point, we need you to be perfectly still. Let us know if our eyes start to dry out, we'll moisten them for you. Beginning cut now. Don't be alarmed."

This is surreal. I watch as the scalpel descends and as blood from the cut seeps into my vision. I feel like I'm watching a movie.

It's pretty fucking cool, actually.

As the doc cuts, he has a one-sided conversation with me. "We're outfitting you with one of the latest uplink models. No mental feedback at all, easy respawning, plenty of storage space, the whole shebang. You're a lucky man, Osmen."
>>
No. 69177 ID: f98e0b
File 125642970197.png - (83.07KB , 800x600 , 209.png )
69177

The doctor, or maybe a nurse, wipes some blood off. "The uplink has been placed," says a different voice, sounds like a Delter. "We'll seal the cut and then move on to the filter."

"How're we doing, Osmen?" asks the doctor. "You're able to move you right hand now. Two twitches means you want us to stop and give you some knockout gas. I'll give you the ability to look around again after we're done up here but you won't be able to talk if we're fiddling around with your lungs. Or breathe, really. We'll give you a mask for that."
>>
No. 69179 ID: 276781

>>69177
May as well keep going, unless it's getting to be too much for you.
Alternatively, think about Katrina and your date with her - how it went, if it's been a while since talking with us, or how you're hoping it'll go if it hasn't.
>>
No. 69180 ID: f98e0b
File 12564308094.png - (81.92KB , 800x600 , 210.png )
69180

There's a green glow from my left.

"Cut sealed," says the doctor. "Ain't technology grand. I'm moving on to the filter, Osmen. Here's the mask we'll use to pump air in. There's also a tube that'll go down your throat directly into your lungs. It'll handle breathing for you. We can't let your body do it, it'd move around too much.

"Almost done here, Mr. Sahir."
>>
No. 69181 ID: f21281

>>69180
Idly muse upon how much Alliance technology has advanced the field of genital enhancement.
>>
No. 69182 ID: f98e0b
File 125643135278.png - (50.19KB , 800x600 , 211.png )
69182

>>69179
It's not too much. I have seen and felt and done much worse in the past.

The interview was just a couple of hours ago. I'm hoping the date will go well, but I'm nervous. Are there social taboos I don't know about? This restaurant we're going to, what if the food is some sort of deadly poison to humans? What if Kat doesn't like me? Will I even be able to go out if I've just had surgery, for Allah's sake? You don't have any experience with this sort of thing, do you? Should I bring you along?

"Stress levels increasing, Osmen. Is something wrong? You're not regaining any feeling, are you? Twitch twice for no, three times yes."

I'm pretty sure it's just me freaking out over the date, actually. I still feel lighter than air.
>>
No. 69185 ID: 9891a9

>>69182
Two twitches then, and of course bringing us along would be good. Where else will you get your witty quips from?
>>
No. 69186 ID: 632862

>>69182
Oh jeez. Try to calm down, and twich twice. You don't want them to give you more painkiller than necessary. Anesthesia is a tricky science.
>>
No. 69187 ID: 276781

>>69185
And inappropriate remarks. Can't forget the inappropriate remarks!
Yeah, bring us along - and I'm sure there will be something there you can eat. Try not to worry.
>>
No. 69189 ID: f98e0b
File 125643223947.png - (56.84KB , 800x600 , 212.png )
69189

Two twitches.
"Good to hear. We're almost done with placing the filter...
...and done. We'll just seal you up here."

The Delter says, "Now that you're augmented and the surgery is mostly complete, it's time to think about recovery. You can recover on your own, which means you won't be able to move around for about a day, we can artificially speed it up by hooking you up, takes around three hours, or... well, you could opt for euthanasia and instant respawning. That would be the quickest way."

I do not want to miss tonight. I don't really want to be late either, and I'm supposed to meet Kat in a couple of hours. But dying to heal seems... extreme.
>>
No. 69190 ID: 9891a9

>>69189
Artificially speed it up then, there's no time to let it heal naturally if you want to make the date.
>>
No. 69196 ID: 632862

>>69189
I wonder if Kat would be impressed that you elected to choose to respawn just to get there on time. She might even be expecting it since she knew you'd be going into surgery. Perhaps it's a test.

Ask them how long the respawn process takes, exactly. Are they absolutely sure it will work for you? Have they somehow tested it on a clone or something?
>>
No. 69197 ID: f98e0b
File 125643361278.png - (50.46KB , 800x600 , 213.png )
69197

"how long would respawning take?" I ask. I can barely get it out, seeing as I just got my respiratory system cut open and resealed.

"It takes around half a minute for your body to be reconstituted, less if you're close to a respawner, which you are. It would be the quickest option by far."

"oh. have you tested it for humans yet?"

"Well, um," says the Delter, "Not really on humans."

"We did an ape, though." the doctor interjects quickly. "That went very well."

"Oh, yes. The ape." says the Delter. "Went great. And they're nearly a genetic match for humans."
>>
No. 69201 ID: 276781

>>69197
Do they know Kat?
If they do, maybe say something like "If something goes wrong and I don't respawn, take a message to Kat and tell her I'm sorry for missing our date".

May as well get it out now, when you're surrounded by doctors who probably have some doctor-patient confidentiality.
>>
No. 69202 ID: 06406d

>>69197
Seems okay to me. Might as well give it a try, it's going to happen sooner or later.
>>
No. 69211 ID: 5d5878

>>69197
Better to find out if it works when you have a bunch of medical professionals around than to find out one day on the street or something.
>>
No. 69217 ID: f98e0b
File 125643605074.png - (100.48KB , 800x600 , slipping.png )
69217

"why not," I say. "do it."

"Okay, administering lethal injection." buzzes the Delter's voice emotionlessly.

"wait, before i go, if i don't respawn..."

i can feel my brain losing its

"tell kat i'm sorry..."

spark

bye
>>
No. 69218 ID: f98e0b
File 125643612724.png - (457.45KB , 800x600 , slipped.png )
69218

>>
No. 69220 ID: 632862

>>69218
Do you feel anything?
>>
No. 69221 ID: f98e0b
File 12564366704.png - (128.47KB , 800x600 , 214.png )
69221

>>69220
Like I'm being pulled up out of a river of ink into bright sunlight.

By Allah or Jesus or who ever is looking. Wow.
>>
No. 69223 ID: f21281

>>69221
Why are you blue.
>>
No. 69224 ID: f98e0b
File 125643679222.png - (120.22KB , 800x600 , 215.png )
69224

"I knew it would work," says the Delter. "Apes and all."

So here I am again. And hey, it looks like there's what they were using to operate on me. Cool.

Which makes that thing under it... hm.

Well I feel pretty great, now.
>>
No. 69226 ID: 632862

>>69224
Oh hey, that's a robotic interface! Pretty cool technology. Works wonders in keeping the operating room sterile, and movements can be scaled for accuracy and safety.

Hey, are you carrying the crystal now, since you're talking to us? Is the body there still carrying it as well? Paradoxical!
>>
No. 69231 ID: 06406d

>>69224
Right. Now let's get some clothes on for your date.
>>
No. 69232 ID: b1e366

Check out your corpse. It'll be cool/traumatic.
>>
No. 69319 ID: f98e0b
File 125647785634.png - (28.67KB , 800x600 , 216.png )
69319

I let myself out of the operating room, thanking the doctor as I go. Let's go get ready for Kat.

>>69232
...No thanks. This is cool and all, but that'd just be... eugh.

>>69231
Would you prefer white or white?
>>
No. 69320 ID: 276781

>>69319
White is good and all, but white is better. I say you should go with white.
If you're feeling adventurous, though, disregard what I just said and go with white.
>>
No. 69321 ID: 06406d

>>69319
Well we've a couple of hours to kill still. Maybe we could go shopping for some clothes? Or get a gift for Kat?
>>
No. 69322 ID: ac3813

Hmm. Yeah we need a gift for her. Showing up empty handed is probably bad form here too.
You probably want to ask someone for advice on what to get to avoid any cultural complications.
>>
No. 69325 ID: f98e0b
File 125648387875.png - (147.09KB , 800x600 , 217.png )
69325

>>69321
You're right. I should probably get her something as a gift. Um. Aha. I've got it. Here we are. It's what I was reading earlier. Beat up a bit, but I'm sure she'll appreciate the window into Human culture.

...maybe also some flowers. I'll head out of the medical facility and see what I can find.
>>
No. 69326 ID: f98e0b
File 125648466077.png - (263.87KB , 800x600 , 218.png )
69326

As I head out through the front door, two things become quickly apparent.
>>
No. 69327 ID: f98e0b
File 125648471437.png - (99.33KB , 800x600 , 219.png )
69327

The first is that there doesn't appear to be any way out of the facility without swimming.
>>
No. 69328 ID: f98e0b
File 12564848991.png - (370.35KB , 800x600 , 220.png )
69328

The second is that Katrina is here, sitting and looking out at the ocean. She turns around and waves to me. "Hey, Osmen. Beautiful view, right?"
>>
No. 69329 ID: 276781

>>69328
"Sure is. And I guess the ocean's nice, too."
Cheesy line? You bet. Human tradition? Of course!
>>
No. 69332 ID: 06406d

>>69325
What's the book?
>>
No. 69336 ID: f98e0b
File 125648898733.png - (383.94KB , 800x600 , 221.png )
69336

>>69329
"Sure is." I say, walking over and sitting down next to her. "And the ocean is nice too, I guess."

She blanks for a second. "I was actually talking about the ocean... ooooh. Thanks." Her whatever-it-is flushes slightly for a moment. "I need to get better at this flirting thing. Do you like the dress? It's the only thing I had that wasn't a friggin' lab coat."

>>69332
The Bromeliad by Pratchett. The only other thing I've got is the Koran and that doesn't really make for light reading.
>>
No. 69340 ID: d1210a

>>69336

...What happened to Terry Pratchett in your history? Thanks to the different ways you and the orb view time, I think we may have missed that bit.

Anyway, give her the book, say whatever is necessary to explain it to her (if you need to, which I doubt), and then move on to asking if any of the local flora or fauna are around that could be pointed out: After all, you would hate to be so distracted by her charm that you miss out on learning of a whole new ecosystem, right?

Beyond that, here is a question for you: How do you feel about that re-spawn you went through? Because as far as the re-spawn process functions, from a religious standpoint, you could think of it as the soul shedding a broken, battered body, only to make a new one, more in tune with the still vibrant spirit within. From that perspective, being able to re-spawn lets people stay closer to the form their soul is accustomed to.
>>
No. 69344 ID: 4553b2

>>69336
"I think your dress looks fabulous."
>>
No. 69373 ID: 06406d

>>69340
I think the Bromeliad is the nome books he did, I think. That's what the yanks call it. It's a pretty good representation for Humans, at any rate.

Tell her it's a good read by a good human author and she might like it. The nomes are aliens so you could mention that.
>>
No. 69374 ID: 9e9b47

>>69336

Give her Small Gods. That book is awesome.
>>
No. 69439 ID: f98e0b
File 125651187716.png - (388.37KB , 800x600 , 222.png )
69439

>>69374
I agree, but I don't have it on me. My personal favorites were any involving Vimes. Night Watch and Thud especially.

>>69340
>what happened to Terry?
Dead. Died years ago. He chose to go out before the Alzheimer's took over. It's not pleasant but there it is.

>respawn
That's a good way to look at it, yeah.

>>69344
"I think it looks fabulous," I say.

"Really? Does it show off my butt and lower body well? That was, I think, the point...
I detect that may have been a faux pas on my part."

"Don't worry about it. Yeah, it does. I got you something, by the way. Earth literature by a good human author. It's about aliens, actually. Sort of a nontraditional gift for the first date, but, uh, I couldn't really get anything else. I can't really go to any stores if I'm stuck on an offshore facility without any cash."

"Oh, you want to go somewhere?" Kat asks, taking the book. "I can take you off the facility if you want. There's a neat little town a couple miles away, we could go together."
>>
No. 69454 ID: 6a6a5e

That sounds nice.
>>
No. 69478 ID: 43d730

>>69439
Might be best to keep this discrete... Has there been much media attention about me?
*fakepreen*
>>
No. 69485 ID: 4553b2

>>69439
"I would like that."
>>
No. 69502 ID: f98e0b
File 125651812594.png - (352.16KB , 800x600 , 223.png )
69502

>>69485
>>69454
"I'd like that," I say.

She stands up and motions for me to approach, then abruptly embraces me. I hug back, of course, but I'm not really sure what she
>>
No. 69503 ID: f98e0b
File 125651814896.png - (286.93KB , 800x600 , 224.png )
69503

OKAY WHOA
>>
No. 69504 ID: f98e0b
File 125651816887.png - (137.89KB , 800x600 , 225.png )
69504

>>
No. 69505 ID: 9891a9

>>69504
IS THIS TOTALLY AWESOME OR WHAT
>>
No. 69506 ID: 9dd38f

>>69502
>>69503
>>69504

Oh, right, I forgot about that.
>>
No. 69507 ID: 6a6a5e

Was going to warn you about that but didn't realize she'd do it so suddenly. Have fun.
>>
No. 69508 ID: f21281

>>69504
>>69503

Start humming the Superman theme.
>>
No. 69512 ID: 6a6a5e

>>69508
I fucking failed so hard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNNhBtBbOs
>>
No. 69843 ID: f98e0b
File 125665463345.png - (116.90KB , 800x600 , 226.png )
69843

>>69508
DA DA DAAAAH
DA DA DA DA DAAAAH
DA DA DAAAAH
DA DA DA DAAH DAAH
>>
No. 69844 ID: 2cbe3e

>>69843

So what does it feel like travelling as pure energy anyhow. I hear it's drafty.
>>
No. 69862 ID: f98e0b
File 125667861182.png - (482.96KB , 800x600 , 227.png )
69862

>>
No. 69863 ID: 43d730

>>69862
Don't vomit down her front or fall to the ground.
>>
No. 69864 ID: f98e0b
File 125667895257.png - (561.98KB , 800x600 , 228.png )
69864

>>69844
In a word? Disorientating.

Kat catches me as we land.
"You get used to the landings after a bit. Anyway, do you wanna go to the town plaza? They have tons of stores there, a bakery, a cute little armory, and we can get you out of those weird white clothes...not that they don't look good on you, it's just- uhm- you know."
>>
No. 69865 ID: 2cbe3e

>>69864

You know what? They not fashionable here?
>>
No. 69867 ID: 4553b2

>>69865
I think she was trying to deliver a pick up line. Specifically "Those clothes look good on you, but they'd be even better on the hotel room floor."

I just think she botched it.
>>
No. 69879 ID: d1210a

>>69864
a 'cute little armory'?

I am morbidly curious as to why she deems it cute. And as a soldier, a warrior, can you deny having your own interest piqued?
>>
No. 69880 ID: f21281

>>69864
>armory

"My dear Kat, are you trying to tell me you like a man in uniform?"
>>
No. 69883 ID: 632862

So many cheesy lines here. Try not to lay it on too thick.

Just go with a straight line; ask her if it's not fashionable or something.
>>
No. 69891 ID: f98e0b
File 125668461179.png - (117.70KB , 800x600 , 229.png )
69891

The plaza is a fairly cavernous space, putting me in the mind of malls I've seen back home. Kat gives me a quick tour.

"Up here there's the local Alliance Headquarters, the bit that deals with civilians, and the arcade. Are they that ugly back home, by the way? There's also a movie theater in it. It's showing some shitty horror movie sequel. The blue stall's the produce market and the bakery, you've got to try some, um,(hold on I can translate this) I guess the literal translation is Greenberries. They're good, trust me.
Downstairs is the armory, we can get you a stylish knife but I'm not sure if non-alliances can buy guns, and, of course, Messr. Grell's Boutique. Ritzy place. They have boots that cost my entire salary for a week (not that I make too much, but um I'm getting off topic). We could buy you something more colorful there if you like. And over there on the end is the entrance to the Gilt, which is where we've got a table booked in an hour or two.

Cool place, huh? A little empty, but most people are still at work. Where do you want to go?"
>>
No. 69892 ID: 9891a9

>>69891
Let's head to Grell's, sounds like she wants to do some dress-up.
>>
No. 69901 ID: 276781

>>69891
You'll have to answer the question about arcades on your own, as none of us have seen an arcade in... well, a while.
But if you wanna ask about the past, sure - they were generally pretty flashy and eye-catching. Better way to attract business, you know?

Also, become aware she's nervous and maybe try to do something to help alleviate it.
>>
No. 69908 ID: f98e0b
File 125668846565.png - (32.19KB , 800x600 , 230.png )
69908

>>69901
>become aware she's nervous and do something to help alleviate it

I don't suppose you could clarify?
>>
No. 69909 ID: 426169

>>69908
It'll get worse before it gets better.
Try grabbing her hand.
>>
No. 69910 ID: 276781

>>69908
Well, I was being ambiguous enough to let you make your own decision, but...
I guess you could take her hand and ask her if she's nervous, then RESPOND NATURALLY to her answer? If she asks how you figured it out, just note that she tends to talk a lot when she gets nervous.
>>
No. 69913 ID: f98e0b
File 125669024617.png - (111.29KB , 800x600 , 231.png )
69913

>>69909
>>69910
I take a breath and take the hand. "We don't need to go anywhere you don't want to. I'd be happy just talking to you. Kat, you seem nervous. Don't be. Seriously."

"Uhm, how could you tell?"

"You tend to talk a lot when you're nervous."

She looks crestfallen. "I'm sorry. It's just...Aren't you?"

"Nervous? Me? Kat, of course I am. I've just grabbed the hand of one of the most beautiful people to ever express any sort of interest in me. There's a saying on Earth about being a lover, not a fighter? Well I've been just a fighter. My entire life. And I'm terrified I'm going to mess something up. You know?"

"Yeah, I know."

We look at each other.
>>
No. 69914 ID: f21281

>>69913
Go to kiss her, then pause and say "...I would kiss you, but I don't want to end up kissing something that is considered taboo." Then pause again and shrug and then kiss her anyways :Dc
>>
No. 69935 ID: 15f6d6

Adjust her dress so it covers her ass back up.
>>
No. 69941 ID: 426169

"Does your culture have kissing?"
>>
No. 69951 ID: c7ba31

They don't have mouths, guys.
>>
No. 69954 ID: 43d730

>>69951
But do they have TONGUES?
>>
No. 69970 ID: f98e0b
File 125669912891.png - (180.32KB , 800x600 , 232.png )
69970

((15f6d6 does not know what day it is today))

We look closer.

I'd say I'm staring into her eyes, or that I feel her hot breath on my cheek, but you'd know it's a lie. Still, there's something there. It's weird and it's alien and it's, it's nice.

I pause. "Does your culture have kissing? Am I doing something taboo here?"

"Well, actually," she says, breathlessly, "An interesting facet of human culture vs. -yes, we can kiss, haven't really done it before- human culture vs. qal culture is that, perhaps due to the regenerative power of the respawners, we have a more liberal outlook when it comes t-"
>>
No. 69971 ID: f98e0b
File 12566991534.png - (173.31KB , 800x600 , 233.png )
69971

-Mmnh."
>>
No. 69972 ID: f98e0b
File 125669917959.png - (170.60KB , 800x600 , 234.png )
69972

>>
No. 69973 ID: 4553b2

>>69972
Aw man she is blushing so hard.
>>
No. 69975 ID: 9891a9

>>69972
Mission success.
>>
No. 69976 ID: af3e6d

>>69972
I'm convinced that the orb's true purpose is to spread love to the whole universe. To hell with epic quests or anything, people can do that shit on their own.
>>
No. 69982 ID: 9891a9

>>69976
Either that, or to get everyone to have sex with everyone else. Who knows?
>>
No. 70013 ID: c7ba31

>>69970
I think she was going to say something about them having a more liberal outlook on mixing violence and sex.
This should probably be considered a hint.
>>
No. 70042 ID: 276781

>>69972
$5 says the other mall/shopping centre patrons are staring at them.
>>
No. 76325 ID: f98e0b
File 125816034455.png - (129.21KB , 800x600 , 235.png )
76325

Bracilius is the place we'll meet Theseus, Terrens says.
>>
No. 76326 ID: f98e0b
File 125816038153.png - (166.27KB , 800x600 , 236.png )
76326

It's a rough town, a backwater world in backwater space. Notable for having one of the Alliance’s largest prison complexes, home to some of the Alliance’s worst criminals.

Perfect vacation spot, no?

>Admiral Theseus. Reading incoming ship, Mk V Neuphrale Experimental.
“The Glory, I would presume. Put me on a direct link with their bridge, would you, corporal?”
>Of course, Admiral.
>>
No. 76467 ID: 107da3

>>76326

Sure, if you're in a helicopter and have a rifle.
>>
No. 76648 ID: f98e0b
File 125824866775.png - (230.21KB , 800x600 , 237.png )
76648

>>76467
Sounds like Seth's wet dream.

>Captain Terrens, this is Theseus. You are cleared to come aboard HQ Vessel. See you in the control room, over.

He sounds distracted somehow.John wonders if they've interrupted something.

"Roger, Theseus. We're heading over now." Terrens replies.
>>
No. 76650 ID: f98e0b
File 125824898019.png - (102.75KB , 800x600 , 238.png )
76650

Terrens asked me, Seth, and Oberan to come along. Not sure why exactly. The four of us are inside a small landing/transport vehicle headed toward Theseus' experimental, the Thracia.

Terrens looks in from the cockpit. "We're going to dock in about a minute. I've got to go meet with Theseus and the captain of the Triumph. His name's Duke or something. Does anyone want to come meet him, or do you want to just hang out on the ship until the meeting's over? It'll probably just be some boring administrative stuff, but you'll be able to meet Theseus. He's a living legend."
>>
No. 76664 ID: 5d5878

>>76650
If you feel like meeting a Living Legend, go for it. But expect boring.
>>
No. 76666 ID: 9891a9

>>76650
It can't be more boring than sitting in a cramped room with the others, can it?

...Wait, yes it could. Stay here and see if anyone has any cool stories to tell to pass the time!
>>
No. 76683 ID: 632862

Go talk to Theseus.
>>
No. 76685 ID: f98e0b
File 12582523135.png - (154.62KB , 800x600 , 239.png )
76685

"This is outrageous. I can't believe the council is even considering offering a pinko Alliance Citizenship. Have they forgotten what happened last time we let an untested, underscreened race into our society? Or will we need another Dult before the message gets across?"

>It is only one human, after all, Admiral. And Doctor Ford has given us nothing but positive reports on his progress. He's already got a fully functioning uplink, apparently.

"That just makes him more dangerous. And anyway, it only took one Dultian to nearly bring the Alliance to its knees, and force us to glass one of our colonies and wipe out an entire species. The council's forgotten, it seems. I haven't, Councilor. You're taking a huge risk, and as a soldier there's only so much I can do to clean up after you if it all goes pear-shaped."
>>
No. 76689 ID: f98e0b
File 125825268115.png - (176.48KB , 800x600 , 240.png )
76689

Theseus looks up as John and Terrens enter.

"We'll continue this conversation later, Councilor. I have business to attend to."

He flicks the channel to some Delter Soap Opera.

"Welcome, Captain Terrens! Congratulations again on your new vessel and assignment. Glad to have you in my fleet, as small as it is at the moment. I've heard nothing but good things about you and I'm sure that is a trend that'll continue."

Terrens looks proud. "Thank you, sir."

"You must be Gunnery Sergeant John," Theseus moves on to John. "Used to be a janitor, yes? Well, you've done a hell of a good job if you're where you are now! I hear you beat First Hand Oberan one-on-one as well. Admirable."
>>
No. 76697 ID: 632862

>>76689
Oh hey. It's that guy we saw blowing up the human ship in that weird vision. I guess we don't really know much about him though.

Thank him for his kind words, and say you hope you can continue to serve the Alliance well in your new position.
>>
No. 76699 ID: 276781

>>76697
And make a mental note to try to initiate contact with Osmen (The human) somehow, John. Orb bearers, shards or no, should stick together.
>>
No. 76734 ID: 9dd38f

>>76689

Just nod, or give him some short thanks; I don't trust him.
>>
No. 107804 ID: d9faf1

OOC: Is this quest still active? It's awesome

IC: Thank him like you would thank a legendary general who complimented you. We have some reasons not to trust this ma- er... Shirm, but being impolite to him would be rather unwise. Even if we suspect that he's a xenophobic son-of-a-bitch, there's absolutely no point for you to show it. Be polite and respectful, and try not to attract too much of his attention to yourself.
>>
No. 107920 ID: 445c48

>>76689
Say something about how it was pretty much even and you won by luck.
>>
No. 116974 ID: f98e0b
File 126421876377.png - (176.93KB , 800x600 , 241.png )
116974

>>107804
>>107920
>>76697
"Thank you, Sir," says John. "Really, it was mostly luck. Oberan is a more capable soldier than me."

"Modesty. I like that," says Theseus gravely. "Keep working at it and you might be as good as I am one day." He looks up at John's blank face. "It's a joke, gentlemen."

John and Terrens nervously titter.

"Okay. Down to business. Sit down, fellas." says Theseus. "Let's talk about this mission and your role in- shit, Duke, how do you mute this thing?"

"Little red thingy. Button," says Duke, lazily gesturing.

"Righto, thanks," says Theseus. "Let's take a look at what we'll be doing on Bracilius, shall we?

...um, Duke? Channel change?"

"Green arrow," mumbles Duke.
>>
No. 116986 ID: f98e0b
File 126422021070.png - (106.43KB , 800x600 , 242.png )
116986

"Right." says Theseus. "Ahem. This is the imaginatively named Bracilius Prison, orbiting the planet. We're here because they've just undergone a bit of a change in management. The prisoners have taken over, and they're not entirely keen on leaving. Now they've got respawners, so we can't just board them all at once, and we can't blow the facility up, believe me, or we would have. The thing's a giant tax sink, a testament to the security and might of the Alliance, blah blah blah. We have to take out the weaponry and the upper central column, where they've got the respawners set up. So we blow it up. Simple enough. I'll take point, Duke's got his ship set up for support and fighter-killing, so that's his job.

Terrens, I understand your Gunnery Sergeant has outfitted the Glory to be a jack of all trades. That's good, you'll counter any heavier ships they try to send at us. Apparently they have at least a couple frigates in there waiting for us, but to ships like ours this'll just be a blue milk run. Just try to minimize damage to the station and to ourselves, our craft take priority. We'll board and clear with away teams once we've taken out their respawners. Questions? Queries? Concerns?"
>>
No. 117004 ID: 632862

>>116986
Any chance of taking prisoners?
>>
No. 117008 ID: 6834bc

>>117004
Considering where he's headed, I'd say it's very likely.
>>
No. 117025 ID: f98e0b
File 126422462321.png - (126.67KB , 800x600 , 243.png )
117025

>>117004
"Any chances of taking prisoners?" asks John.

"That's the goal, in fact," says Theseus. "Once their scanners are knocked out, we'll divert them to the HQ ship where I've got some other respawners behind bars waiting for them. We'll figure out who's a guard and who's a prisoner or whoever else you shoot down on the ship. Simplifies things. Just enter the ship, kill anything that moves, and let us sort 'em out.

Terrens, you've got the fewest men right now, so just send a small away team. Three or four guys. They're going to breach the right column, fight their way up, and knock the escape shuttles out, quick, so they can't evacuate anyone. Duke, enter from the postern at the far side of the facility and sweep the facility. Clean up house. I'll send my men in through the hole we bust in the respawners room and meet you in the middle. My team'll be the ones with red sashes, try not to shoot them. It's not too big a deal, but you know how friendly fire fucks with morale. John, since you're the only noncom in the room, I'm putting you in charge of Terrens' aways. Pick your team and let's get this done asap, gents, before they can escape."
>>
No. 117028 ID: 445c48

Why would a prison station have frigates and fighters?
>>
No. 117043 ID: f98e0b
File 126422623010.png - (104.77KB , 800x600 , 244.png )
117043

>>117028
"Why would a prison station have frigates or fighters on board, exactly?" asks John.

"You haven't been out on the backwater of Alliance Territory much, have you, John?" grins Theseus. "Whole different class of criminal out here. Believe me when I say it sometimes isn't enough. We had a Delter Warlord cooped up in here once, Rafael I think his name was. His men besieged Bracilius with a stolen ship-of-the-line. That was an interesting day. Right now there's only a few on station, though, and they're staffed by a bunch of freed criminals. I can't imagine we'll have much trouble. Now will this be all? We have an assault to prep and you have a team to assemble."
>>
No. 117057 ID: 632862

>>117043
Yeah, that sounds about right.
>>
No. 117115 ID: 67c4c1

Sooo, we have to weaken the place's defenses in order to render it inoperative, in order to kill everyone.

Huh.

Makes me wonder if the rebellion was started in order to have the defenses disabled, in order to have someone released.
>>
No. 117133 ID: f98e0b
File 126426334418.png - (110.69KB , 800x600 , 245.png )
117133

>>117115
Does it? Oh. That can't be good.

John wanders into the Marine Prep Chambers to meet up with Seth and Oberan. He finds them talking and laughing with a Qal marine. At first John thinks he's wearing some sort of helmet, but then he realizes the marine is so heavily body-modded he looks almost robotic.

"So then," he's saying, "Keats like, fucking leaps on this pirate, and he's like tearing his armor off and stabbing the shit out of him, right? Well he looks up, and we all see that before he died the pirate pulled the pins on all Keats' grenades."

"What did you do?" asks Oberan.

"We all started gesturing frantically at our chests, going, 'YOUR GRENADES! YOUR GRENADES!' And Keats just looks up with this dumbfounded expression..." he mimics it. "...then looks down, then throws himself at this big group of pirates with an MG. Wham. We were still picking up his pieces when he came back on deck and he just looked around and he said, 'Next time I'm just doing that from the start.'" This elicits a guffaw from Seth.

"John," says Oberan, "This is Darman, the most body-modded fucking frankenstein in the service. He's leading Duke's Aways. He'll be equipping us,"

"At your service," grins Darman. "Wanna come pick the boomsticks you'll be packin', sergeant?"
>>
No. 117147 ID: 67c4c1

It unfortunately does. Hmn

If the plan is to kill everyone so they'll respawn somewhere else, what if there's a third place to receive said dead?

Is everyone SURE there are no other ships that shouldn' be around nearby?

Yea, call me the paranoid voice.
>>
No. 117241 ID: f98e0b
File 126428339341.png - (53.14KB , 800x600 , 246.png )
117241

"Oberan's got his pussy little riot shield 'cause he can't take a bullet," says Darman, dodging Oberan's vengeful fist jabbing at his arm, "and a little designer SMG. Seth has his big ol' Dick Replacer,"

"Hey now," says Seth.

"I calls 'em as I sees 'em," says Darman. "For you, Sergeant, I have a slugthrowing assault rifle, an antimatter semiauto, or a big ol' automatic shotgun. Your pick. Pistols include a dinky little stealth model, or if you have balls a laser pistol or a basic pistol. You can switch up your squads' loadout, but good luck separating Seth from his darlings. You'll get a few grenades too, of course. Watch the pins. I heard from that sonofabitch Strausberg you were interested in body mods too, John-boy. I happen to be an expert in this field, as my lasernipples will vouch for. I'm kidding, John, don't look at me like that. Talk to me after we win. We'll see about moddin' yourself. Now pick your weapons."
>>
No. 117273 ID: 445c48

Damn, I've forgotten the attributes of the various antimatter/laser weapons.

Ask how much ammo you would get, and if we can get more than one pistol. I'm thinking autoshotty and suppressed pistol, in addition to a normal pistol. Otherwise Autoshotty and normal pistol.
>>
No. 117315 ID: f98e0b
File 126428925684.png - (85.21KB , 800x600 , 247.png )
117315

>>117273
"I'll take the autoshotgun," says John, grabbing it and testing its weight. "Could I get two pistols?"

"Sure," says Darman. "You wanna like charge in and fire them akimbo?"
"Well, um, I was thinking normal and surpressed for stealth," says John.
"Oh. Well, we can't all be badasses."

"Watch who you're talking to, Darman," says Seth. "John's a beast,"
"Really?" asks Darman.
"Took on two marines by himself. He pulled this crazy karate shit," says Seth.
"And he beat me in CQC," says Oberan.

"Well I'll be damned, sir." says Darman, retracting his claws and shaking John's hand. "Whenever I fight Oberan he rips my arms off and beats me to death with them. You're the most hardcore janitor I've ever met,"

"We should get back to the ship, unless you want to do anything else on HQ, sir," says Oberan. "You want me to prep the Gun Battery on full or mid power? Mid means less overheat and we can divert more energy to shields and speed."
>>
No. 117341 ID: 6834bc

>>117315
Mid. You can sustain fire for longer and take more punishment, maybe even maneuver into weak spots in the enemy's defenses easier to take them out faster, regardless of the less-powerful punch of your weapons.
>>
No. 117396 ID: 655d51

Do they have two model 1887s?
>>
No. 117422 ID: f98e0b
File 126430077431.png - (40.81KB , 800x600 , 248.png )
117422

>>117396
"Don't even joke about that."
>>
No. 117424 ID: f21281

>>117396
Or maybe even a semtex nade and a javelin?
>>
No. 117442 ID: 632862

You know, Oberan should be able to kill just about anything with that shield and a bandolier of throwing knives. (heh) Don't actually say that.

Say "Okay man whatever, let's go."
>>
No. 118405 ID: f98e0b
File 126445608972.png - (74.11KB , 800x600 , 249.png )
118405

John and Darman head to the briefing room to give the plan before everyone heads off to their respective ships. They go up to the front to stand with the leader of Theseus' Aways, a delter John doesn't know.

The combined teams are talking, laughing, and cleaning and preparing weapons.
"Okay, okay everyone shut the fuck up, please," says Darman. "So here's my wonderful art of the plan we've got going-Attention Keith and Sophia, we're all very glad you finally hooked up, now stop playing grabass during the briefing, and save it for after the mission, okay? Aw, it's so sweet it's giving me diabetes -So this is direct from Theseus, you guys know him, he doesn't fuck around. Anyway, it's simple enough, your individual COs'll brief you on it when we split up, but before you go I just wanna wish you all good luck, try not to get iced, talking to you specifically Seamus-Don't look at me like that, everyone knows you're a respawn junkie." There's a shouted reply, muffled by the crowd's laughter.

"Oh, really? Then what do you call that jumping in front of a rocket on Gardea Prime? Shut up. Right. It's gonna be pretty fucking easy, just some pirates who think they can play soldier or something. That's not an excuse to just sit with your thumb up your ass the first time you die, by the way, Aaron. Yeah, you. Okay. I know Ryan doesn't want to give a pep talk, since he's the strong silent type," he gestures to the delter, who nods.

"John, you wanna say something to your boys?"
>>
No. 118465 ID: 445c48

"Not particularly."
>>
No. 118493 ID: 1bb6b8

Tell them to stay frosty, check their vectors, and for god's sake tell Ramirez to pull his fucking weight this time.
>>
No. 118500 ID: 7b807e

"Like what? Try not to kick too much ass so there is enough to share with everyone? They have it covered."
>>
No. 118526 ID: f98e0b
File 126447134430.png - (51.80KB , 800x600 , 250.png )
118526

>>118500
"Like what? Try not to kick too much ass so there is enough to share with everyone? They have it covered."
This gets a cheer out of the soldiers. "Alright, alright, asspatting time over, children. Get back to your ships and get ready to kill," says Darman. "and die a lot too, so take your damn pain pills." They empty the hall and Ryan goes with them.

"Have a good one out there, man," says Darman, shaking John's hand. He seems pretty big on handshaking. "So. Body modding. Grenade-launching anushands?"
"I was thinking about it," says John.
"We can do that," says Darman. "I know a guy."
>>
No. 118600 ID: 6c28cf

>>118526
>anushands
How would that even work? Also, does handshaky here have them?
>>
No. 118645 ID: 632862

>>118526
Alright, I'm thinking that if one hand is a grenade launcher, the other hand should have an extending blade. A big one. A little plating on the arms and legs, too.
>>
No. 118647 ID: 107da3

>>118526

Why do you need bodymods? Can't you alter yourself?

...For that matter, could you conceal weapons inside your body?
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason