[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
In memory of Flyin' Black Jackson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 126248)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 21324 unique user posts. View catalog

File 12654529339.png - (14.88KB , 640x400 , Splash.png )
126248 No. 126248 ID: 5eea01

Expand all images
>>
No. 126250 ID: 3416ec

Again? What happened to the first one?
>>
No. 126253 ID: 5eea01
File 126545322349.png - (22.15KB , 800x600 , 44.png )
126253

>>Reconnected

What to do...where to even start...

>[Character sheet]
>[Stats]: Pwr1, Sth2, Crk1, Pro1, Def1,
>[Programs (Memory 2)]: ICE Pick, Security Bypass, Chameleon Circuit
>[Inventory]: Passcoded datafile, List of GRID addresses
>>
No. 126254 ID: 34470e

DAMN YOU I WAS JUST ABOUT TO GO TO SLEEP
>>
No. 126256 ID: 3416ec

>>Character sheet

Son of a bitch.
>>
No. 126257 ID: 5eea01

>>126250
[Graveyarded due to inactivity]
>>
No. 126268 ID: 5eea01
File 126545486846.png - (23.69KB , 800x600 , 45.png )
126268

Hm? Oh! Hello. I'm having trouble deciding my next course of action.

To recap: I have no clue as to why I was brought into this world, apart from wild speculation. I have in my possession a handful of networking nodes, containing only this...'chair' thing, which seems to have gone inactive, an I/O Port for connection to other networks and a rather untalkative Sentinel ICE.

My PROGRAMMING ability is still quite limited, I won't be able to do much more than superficial alterations to this network. Should I try to do something here anyway or explore other networks?
>>
No. 126272 ID: 632862

Hey what happened to the big mess of folders you were going to organize?

Put a sign on the wall that reads "Tycho's Pad"
>>
No. 126273 ID: 5eea01
File 12654568888.png - (81.51KB , 800x600 , 46.png )
126273

It would not have been worth the effort. You didn't see what I saw. It was...horrible.
Still, I got what was requested, a list of many high-security systems concerning abstract data known as 'currency'. Does not seem particularly interesting, but I assume there's a reason for all that.
I couldn't find any corporate private network addresses, though.

>Object added

Is this what you wanted?
>>
No. 126274 ID: 632862

>>126273
Perfect.

List off all the GRID addresses we can go to.
>>
No. 126275 ID: 5eea01
File 126545799185.png - (33.28KB , 800x600 , 47.png )
126275

Let's see here...

>[Address book]
>EON Corp File Repository [High Security]
>Gridtalk [Open Access/Medium Security Admin functions]
>GridNIC [No Security]
>Random bank [High Security]
>>
No. 126277 ID: 632862

>>126275
Let's check out Gridtalk.
>>
No. 126278 ID: 5eea01
File 126546400033.png - (58.55KB , 800x600 , 48.png )
126278

>Entering GRIDTalk

Well, here I am. Looks like admin access is restricted...I could probably slip through, but I don't know what kind of security they have through there.

The other exit seems to lead into the main chat lobby. There's faint indications of data traffic beyond. What now?
>>
No. 126282 ID: 632862

>>126278
Check out the chat lobby.
>>
No. 126313 ID: 5eea01
File 126548178641.png - (27.43KB , 800x600 , 49.png )
126313

>Entering GRIDTalk Lobby

Damn, they had a sensor up. I've probably been logged. Oh well, nothing I can do about it right now.

[Bot]: Welcome to GRIDTalk! Are you a registered member?

What should I say?
>>
No. 126314 ID: c0f3bf

Ask if you can just be a guest.
>>
No. 126316 ID: 889351

>>/questarch/76308
>>/questarch/76313
Oh you poor bastard.
>>
No. 126318 ID: 5eea01
File 126548323637.png - (31.16KB , 800x600 , 50.png )
126318

[Tycho]: No. Can I log in as a guest?
[Nick-Chan]: Sure thing. You won't be able to create private channels or join them without a registered member's invitation.
Your temporary handle is Guest343. You may now enter the general chatroom.
Have fun~"

Should I converse further or proceed into the chatroom?
>>
No. 126319 ID: c0f3bf

Get in there, Guest343.
>>
No. 126323 ID: 632862

>>126318
Why don't you chat with Nick-Chan for a bit? Maybe make a new friend; it seems more talkative than the sentinel back at your place.
>>
No. 126326 ID: 5eea01
File 126548501384.png - (31.38KB , 800x600 , 51.png )
126326

I suppose I'm in no hurry. And I've yet to converse with an intelligent person who is not you.

[Tycho]: So, what is it you do here?
[Nick-Chan]: Oh, I handle logins and relay channel and 'nick' registration data over to the Admins. And I welcome visitors, although to be honest I sometimes feel they ignore me completely. Must be just my imagination.
[Tycho]: What's that?
[Nick-Chan]: Hm? Oh, this? The Admins said the lobby was a bit dull, so I'm trying to cheer things up a little. I'm trying to get some better textures in, too, maybe some decorative objects. Perhaps some sort of motivational poster, you know, with something funny and ironic. They used to be all the rage a long time ago from what I hear.
>>
No. 126328 ID: c0f3bf

Some nostalgic irony? Ask what the badge is for.
>>
No. 126338 ID: 5eea01
File 12654862492.png - (35.20KB , 800x600 , 52.png )
126338

[Tycho]: So you're trying to add colour by...wearing a badge?
[Nick-Chan]: It's stupid, I know, but it's all I got. I don't know how to program the right kinda decor, and I can't find any programmers willing to make this place look less dull, at least not for free. The Admins are too busy dealing with the chat itself and such, so I can't really do anything about it!
[Tycho]: Hm. It does look a little drab.

Got any ideas?
>>
No. 126355 ID: 632862
File 126548734253.png - (35.07KB , 800x600 , room.png )
126355

>>126338
Here's some colors.
>>
No. 126358 ID: c0f3bf

That looks much nicer. You like blue don't you?
>>
No. 126377 ID: 5eea01
File 126548895498.png - (57.04KB , 800x600 , 53.png )
126377

Any unauthorized changes usually trigger alerts in the system, but since this is such a minor change, I can cover it up.
>[PROGRAMMING 1, STEALTH 2]

[Nick-Chan]: Wh-what just happened?
[Tycho:] That looks much nicer. You like blue, don't you?
[Nick-Chan]: ...yes.
>>
No. 126380 ID: 5eea01
File 126548902867.png - (30.34KB , 800x600 , 54.png )
126380

[Nick-Chan]: H-how'd you do that? And without ale-
[Tycho]: I'm just that good, baby.

Wait, what did I just say? The bot is reacting...oddly.
>>
No. 126398 ID: c0f3bf

Means it likes you. Say you'll see it in a little while and head in.
>>
No. 126405 ID: 632862

>>126380
You said "I'm just that good, baby." - is flirting normal behavior? Nick-Chan finds you appealing, I think. ...how does that even WORK between programs?

You could ask if they know any interesting addresses. Does Nick-Chan even get time off?
>>
No. 126407 ID: a64482

Do you think you can create a poster? Perhaps http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg285/Tankjan/netspeak.jpg This one, without alerting the admins?
>>
No. 126413 ID: 5eea01
File 126549118242.png - (37.32KB , 800x600 , 55.png )
126413

I...this is a bit confusing. I'm not at all sure what you're talking about. I'll go take a look at the chatroom now. Isn't that what I came here for?

[Tycho]: Yeah, well...I'll see you later.
[Nick-Chan]: O-okay. See you!

And no, I don't think that was normal behavior, but then again, I haven't had much time to determine what 'normal' means in this case.
I should be able to discreetly add the poster, but I'll do it when I come back later, just in case the admins noticed something.
>>
No. 126427 ID: c0f3bf

==>
>>
No. 127269 ID: 5eea01
File 126554061590.png - (57.37KB , 800x600 , 56.png )
127269

>*** Guest343 has joined #chat

<waduplol> so then i waz all "stfu n00b" and he was all "lol NO U" and i haxxed op and +b da loser lol
<Bartender> How interesting, tell me more!

[Bartender]: Sweet merciful deletion, why are you staying your hand :<

Urgh, I can see meaningless banter fill the room...fortunately most of it is filtered out by virtual distance. The noise still gets on my nerves.

I can see a strange, blinking floor in the distance and there are a number of private booths, as well as tables here and there.

...there's something very odd about some of the people here. They aren't complex enough to form any kind of intelligence of their own, yet here they are, deep in discussion with each other.

I feel uncertain. What do you want me to do here, exactly?
>>
No. 127272 ID: 739e5a

>>127269
Figure out why you are hearing the Bartender's thoughts maybe?
>>
No. 127282 ID: 632862

>>127269
You could talk to the bartender.

As for the other guys, they are users. Humans, probably. Not programs. They are incredibly complex physical entities that are likely beyond your comprehension, controlling a relatively primitive interface to communicate with other such entities without having to be in the same physical location.
>>
No. 127293 ID: 5eea01
File 12655424022.png - (61.04KB , 800x600 , 57.png )
127293

So, what you're saying is that they're...Outsiders? Interesting concept, that. Their communication skills, however, do not impress me.

<waduplol> gief drink lol
<Bartender> Here you are, enjoy!

[Bartender]: Grrh, you don't even drink those, you bastard son of a-
[Tycho]: Hello.
[Bartender]: Huh, what?
[Tycho]: I said hello.
[Bartender]: Holy shit, someone who can actually talk to me! You can't imagine how relieved I am! I've been stuck behind this freakin' bar for three years, having to act nice and pass out fake drinks to every goddamn moron that so much as says a word! Who are you?

What should I say?
>>
No. 127294 ID: 739e5a

>>127293
Not all are nearly that bad, but yeah.

Tell him who we are, at least name wise, and that we don't know how we can talk like this though.
>>
No. 127295 ID: 5eea01
File 126554430128.png - (64.71KB , 800x600 , 58.png )
127295

[Tycho]: My name is Tycho.
[Bartender]: You don't normally see progs in here, apart from myself. Shame, since they're the only ones I can actually talk to, my chat lines are automated and I can't do anything about them. Admins locked all my functions, can't leave, can't speak. They probably forgot I even exist. It's maddening.
But I'm rambling, years of no real contact does that, haha! I'm...er...I don't have a name on file. That's funny. Anyway, doesn't matter. I'm still stuck here until I get accidentally deleted, I guess...

Wow, this guy talks a lot. Should I ask him something?
>>
No. 127297 ID: 5eea01

[Oop, almost forgot]

<waduplol> haha drink
<Bartender> Here you are, enjoy!

[Bartender]: And on top of that this guy keeps pissing me off by ordering drinks and just leaving them there. Asstard.
>>
No. 127300 ID: c0f3bf

If he's been forgotten, can you reprogram him to leave? Or failing that, unlock his other functions?
>>
No. 127301 ID: 5eea01
File 126554787271.png - (33.62KB , 800x600 , 59.png )
127301

I don't have sufficient CRACKING ability to do that from here...but...

[Tycho]: Would an Admin be able to get you out of here?
[Bartender]: I...suppose so? But how would you convince them to do it?
[Tycho]: Leave that to me. I think I have an idea...

Do you want me to do something else first? If push comes to shove, I may have to leave the network really, really fast.
>>
No. 127303 ID: 632862

>>127301
Yeah, go check out the rest of the chatroom, especially that flashing floor. You are referring to that slightly off part of the floor that looks a bit like a P right?
>>
No. 127306 ID: c0f3bf

Leave. Find admin.
>>
No. 127307 ID: 5eea01
File 126555127549.png - (33.65KB , 800x600 , 60.png )
127307

>>127303
I don't think I want to do that. The room is very large, and crowded with Outsiders. The flashing floor, as far as I can see, has no particular function. A few Outsiders have congregrated on it and are sort of flailing about. Just looking at it makes me embarrassed.
>>127306
Right. What I had in mind doesn't need an admin's presence, strictly speaking. Just access to admin functions.

[Nick-Chan]: Oh! You're back~!
[Tycho]: Here, put this image file on the wall. I may have to hurry soon, so here's my GRID address. I'll explain later.
[Nick-Chan]: You have your own network? Wow, that's-
[Tycho]: Let's talk about this later, I have freedom to bring unto the oppressed.
[Nick-Chan]: ....oooo-kaaaay?

Huh, that wasn't what I was going to say, but...
>>
No. 127308 ID: c0f3bf

But you said it regardless. Check for stuff controlling you later, if they're making you more eloquent you should be fine for the moment. Now get over to the admin area.
>>
No. 127309 ID: 5eea01
File 126555206553.png - (55.15KB , 800x600 , 61.png )
127309

Right, I'll run Chameleon Circuit ahead of time. I can Bypass this door, no problem, but I don't know what's beyond. I am not completely sure whether I am STEALTHY enough to evade detection if they have higher-grade ICE.
But I do know that this is something that has to be done.
>>
No. 127310 ID: c0f3bf

FOR BEER AND REVENGEANCE! Prepare to kick ass. What are your current functions again?
>>
No. 127311 ID: 5eea01
File 126555459953.png - (65.50KB , 800x600 , 62.png )
127311

All right, I'm in. They had a logger pointed at the door, but I don't think it caught me. There's the terminal I'm looking for on the opposite wall. If I'm lucky, they won't think to have passworded the terminal itself, since it's protected by a restricted-access data gate AND Sentinel ICE. Speaking of which, what is wrong with that one's textures? It looks like a smudgy, greenish mess.

Anyway, I have several options here. What would you recommend?

>[Stats]: Pwr1, Sth2, Crk1, Pro1, Def1,
>[Programs (Memory 2)]: ICE Pick, Security Bypass, Chameleon Circuit
>>
No. 127313 ID: 632862

>>127311
Can you just stealth past it? Oh, is there room behind it?

This Sentinel looks... thicker than the one at your network. Try to sneak past anyway, you're definitely more stealthy than you were at the start.
>>
No. 127314 ID: 5eea01
File 126555963554.png - (64.38KB , 800x600 , 63.png )
127314

The Sentinel seems to be completely unaware of my presence. The terminal seems to be unprotected. I'm slightly insulted, but let's do this.

>Access bot functions -> Bartender
>Unlock functions
>Reactivate bot autonomy

>Confirm y/n? y

Aaand done. Oh, one last thing.

>Delete log file: guest343.log
NOW it's done.

Anything else before I leave?
>>
No. 127318 ID: 5eea01
File 126556024414.png - (19.44KB , 800x600 , 64.png )
127318

<waduplol> drink
<Bartender> Here you are, enjoy!
<waduplol> lol drink
<Bartender> Here you are, enjoy!

DING.

[Bartender]: What the...I can...move?!

<waduplol> drink
<Bartender> .........

[Bartender]:.........
>>
No. 127320 ID: 5eea01
File 126556054687.png - (19.53KB , 800x600 , 65.png )
127320

<waduplol> drink
<waduplol> drink
<waduplol> hey drink

[Bartender]: ..........................
>>
No. 127328 ID: 5eea01
File 126556097127.png - (20.84KB , 800x600 , 66.png )
127328

<waduplol> u listening fag
<Bartender> Start running.
<waduplol> wat
>>
No. 127330 ID: 5eea01
File 126556128872.png - (16.61KB , 800x600 , 67.png )
127330

<Bartender> I told you to START RUNNING.
<waduplol> oshit wtf
>>
No. 127336 ID: 5eea01
File 126556223029.png - (22.10KB , 640x400 , FreedomEnd.png )
127336

As I returned to my personal network, my sanctum, my...Pad...I felt that I had achieved something for the first time. It felt...right. Was this my intended purpose? I did not know then, but would eventually come to see the truth.
>>
No. 127338 ID: c0f3bf

Awesome. Go seek the truth.
>>
No. 127376 ID: 5eea01
File 126557035652.png - (23.05KB , 800x600 , 68.png )
127376

Well. I've been here for a while, waiting to see if anyone linked me to the...incident at GRIDtalk. Seems like the Bartender slipped away after booting over half the public channel population out. Seems like the Admins originally gave him a /kick command, but forgot about it. What a mess.

After the thrill of getting away with it, I'm starting to get...bored. My Pad is still a bit dull, I have nothing to do here and my only company is this Sentinel. Talking to it is like talking to a wall. Doesn't know anything and doesn't even care.
If I only had more PROGRAMMING skill I could maybe upgrade it, or add features to the Pad.
I feel like I'm forgetting something, but what?

>[Character sheet]
>[Stats]: Pwr1, Sth2, Crk1, Pro1, Def1,
>[Programs (Memory 2)]: ICE Pick, Security Bypass, Chameleon Circuit
>[Inventory]: Passcoded datafile

>[Address book]
>EON Corp File Repository [High Security]
>Gridtalk [Open Access/Medium Security Admin functions]
>GridNIC [No Security]
>Numerous banks [High Security]
>>
No. 127381 ID: 632862

>>127376
Ask the Sentinel if it has any text files or other stuff stored in its memory. Or any messages it's supposed to give you.
>>
No. 127392 ID: e0499d

>>127376
int DoObvious(){
system.out.println("hello sentinel. Is there anything I haven't checked that you know about?");
return 1;
}
>>
No. 127398 ID: 632862

I guess we could cracking that password on the data file you've got, even though we have no idea how to do so.
>>
No. 127429 ID: 5eea01
File 126558075477.png - (22.90KB , 800x600 , 69.png )
127429

[Tycho]: Hey.
[Sentinel]: Sir?
[Tycho]: You wouldn't happen to have any secret files on you that I'm supposed to read?
[Sentinel]: No.
[Tycho]: You sure?
[Sentinel]: Yes.
[Tycho]: Nothing at all?
[Sentinel]: Nothing. Except a message. "You'll know when the time comes."
[Tycho]: .....
[Sentinel]: I don't get it.
[Tycho]: That's...that's okay. I guess.

The Sentinel stops communicating and resumes standing guard.

The data file could be probably opened with the ICE Pick, but it might damage the contents. Picks are known to be very indiscriminate.
I wonder if there's any way to get a hold of a proper decryption program...

BWEOM.

[Tycho]: What the-
[Sentinel]: Incoming Gateway traffic.

[Paused until tomorrow for reals]
>>
No. 127440 ID: c0f3bf

Chameleon circuit. It might just be Nick-Chan though, or the bartender.
>>
No. 127937 ID: 520a17

Bump
>>
No. 127983 ID: 5eea01
File 126561630574.png - (43.44KB , 800x600 , 70.png )
127983

[Nick-Chan]: H-hello? Anybody here?

Well, what do you know. For a while I even thought myself stupid for giving Nick my address, could have tipped off the Admins. Fortunately it didn't happen.

Should I introduce myself or something?
>>
No. 127984 ID: 34470e

>>127983
Yes, and turn off your chameleon circuit.
>>
No. 127985 ID: ab0f7e

>>127983
Can you scan Nick-chan first? To make sure it's not a disguise adopted by an admin?

If she's legit, by all means, greet her properly! She ventured out to your pad, demonstrating trust on her part. Hmmm... too bad you don't really have anything set up for entertaining a lady... female program... thing.
>>
No. 127987 ID: 5eea01
File 126561725977.png - (45.61KB , 800x600 , 71.png )
127987

Doesn't seem like a disguise, although it could just be cleverly hidden.

>Chameleon Circuit deactivated

[Tycho]: Welcome.
[Nick-Chan]: Ah! It's you, er...Guest343. I completely forgot to ask your name!
[Tycho]: Tycho Kaeleos Mokai. Or just Tycho.
[Nick-Chan]: Okay, Kael. Did you hear about the ruckus?
[Tycho]: The Bartender going berserk?
[Nick-Chan]: ...did you have anything to do with that?

True or False?
>>
No. 127988 ID: 6834bc

>>127987
Smile, tilt your head to the side, shrug and say "Not a thing, babe."
>>
No. 127992 ID: 34470e

>>127988
I don't think he can smile.
>>
No. 127993 ID: ab0f7e

>>127988
I also doubt Nick-chan will be able to pick up on such subtlety.

Maybe you can ask her what she thinks about the event.
>>
No. 127997 ID: 5eea01
File 126561862578.png - (45.17KB , 800x600 , 72.png )
127997

[Tycho]: Not a thing, babe.
[Nick-Chan]: Oh...okay.
[Tycho]: What do you think about the incident?
[Nick-Chan]: Well, it's just odd that he'd suddenly freak out and run away. I don't go into the chatroom myself, but I've been told he was perfectly content to sit there for the past few years, no problem. I don't really know.
[Tycho]: ...so they told you he was happy there, is that right?
[Nick-Chan]: That's what I heard.

Huh, so were the Admins really that ignorant...or...
>>
No. 127998 ID: 6834bc

>>127997
Or did they not care about him?
Might want to tell her that you did speak with him - and from what he told you, the admins were lying.
>>
No. 128005 ID: 5eea01
File 126561958496.png - (46.45KB , 800x600 , 73.png )
128005

[Tycho]: You know, I talked to the Bartender some time before he ran off.
[Nick-Chan]: Y-you did? What'd he say?
[Tycho]: He said he'd been stuck there ever since he started working. The Admins had locked his functions' autonomy setting and forced him to run a premade script. Was slowly going insane. I guess he somehow broke loose and...well...vented some pressure or something.
[Nick-Chan]: That's terrible! But they said...I mean...
[Tycho]: They never cared enough to make your job any easier, why would they care about him?
[Nick-Chan]: But...they're Admins, they...

Huh. Conflicting thoughts? What should I do about this?
>>
No. 128014 ID: 9891a9

>>128005
Let's try to explain slowly.
"The Admins can't all be perfect. Some, like the ones who programmed the bartender, actually don't care at all about us. I'm sure there's some who do care, but I haven't met any yet."
>>
No. 128016 ID: 5eea01
File 126562511862.png - (47.25KB , 800x600 , 74.png )
128016

[Tycho}: Look, the Admins can't all be perfect. Some, like the ones who programmed the bartender, actually don't care at all about us. I'm sure there's some who do care, but I haven't met any yet.
[Nick-Chan]: I...understand. I just never really thought...*sigh* I guess you're right. But what am I supposed to do about it? I'm supposed to work for them, but if they really don't care at all, do I even want to? This is so confusing...

What should I say now?
>>
No. 128024 ID: 107da3

>>128005

The Admins probably don't even regard you as sentient, to be honest. They have the same emotional connection to you as you do to say... a table.
>>
No. 128025 ID: 632862

>>128016
The ones that told you the login room needed more color... Did they tell you that directly? I think that's an Admin I would like to meet.
>>
No. 128031 ID: 5eea01
File 126563825539.png - (43.45KB , 800x600 , 75.png )
128031

[Tycho]: The ones that told you the login room needed more color... Did they tell you that directly? I think that's an Admin I would like to meet.
[Nick-Chan]: I...I don't know, it's hard to remember...but why? Was it even an Admin? Mod? Visitor? How can I know for sure? How much of it is lies? I...

Damn, this is heading for a critical existential crisis here, what do I do?
>>
No. 128039 ID: c0f3bf

Tell her she just had terrible luck, but remind her that not all admins are bad. Sometimes people that shouldn't be admins get to be admins, but just because there are a lot of idiots running around doesn't depurify the good ones.
>>
No. 128040 ID: 6834bc

>>128031
Well, if you're going to turn this system into your own, maybe you could use a greeter or... at least someone to talk to. More talkative than the Sentinel, at least.

Nick-chan has enough freedom to come here, maybe that's enough to simply quit? Though it might be better to just quit quietly, without letting the admins know. They might... reprogram.

And hell, maybe she's got some ideas about how to liven this place up?
>>
No. 128043 ID: 5eea01
File 126564690230.png - (46.26KB , 800x600 , 76.png )
128043

[Tycho]: Look, you've just had bad luck here. I'm sure not all Admins are that bad...sometimes people who shouldn't be Admins become such, but that doesn't mean the good ones are any less good, know what I'm saying?
[Nick-Chan]: I...I think so...but what am I going to do?
[Tycho]: Well...you could quit your job. I would suggest you don't tell them, just don't go back. They might try to force you to stay. Like the Bartender.
[Nick-Chan]: But...but where will I go? What will I do?
[Tycho]: Well...you could stay here. I'm planning to expand and renovate this network. I could use some help. And there's nobody here to talk to, apart from the Sentinel in the other room, and it's really boring.
[Nick-Chan]: You...you mean it?
[Tycho]: Yes, it's like talking to a wall. Oh wait, you mean...yes, why not? I can only do so much by myself, and I'd be happy to have someone I can actually talk to.
[Nick-chan]: ...
>>
No. 128044 ID: 5eea01
File 126564765734.png - (42.86KB , 800x600 , 77.png )
128044

Hey, what is-

what

[Nick-Chan]: Thank you, Kael~

I am at a loss for words. What's going on. TELL ME.
>>
No. 128045 ID: e050d6

>>128044
its a hug
put your arms around her and say no problem
>>
No. 128046 ID: c0f3bf

Sign of affection, you're getting thanked for providing an opportunity for her to do something for someone other than jerkass admins.
>>
No. 128047 ID: 5eea01
File 126564852395.png - (42.76KB , 800x600 , 78.png )
128047

Oh. Okay then.

[Tycho]: No problem.

Nick doesn't answer. Um. Is this going to take lo-
Hey, this actually feels pretty nice. Weird.
>>
No. 128048 ID: e050d6

>>128047
ask her if she wants a desk
also new mission, retrieve cyber equivalent of a condom
>>
No. 128049 ID: 5eea01
File 126564899761.png - (104.05KB , 800x600 , 79.png )
128049

BWEOM

[Bartender]: Hah, they won't follow me in he-
[Bartender]: Oh, sorry. Am I interrupting something?

[PAUSED]
>>
No. 128050 ID: 941aaf

>>128048
Firewall brand ™

Reply loudly in a stern voice 'Yes, yes you are!' Then more calmly tell him that he better not still be berserking.
>>
No. 128051 ID: e050d6

>>128049
activate chameleon circuit and ready ice pick against any intruders that may be following bartender
>>
No. 128054 ID: 632862

>>128049
"I'm... not sure?"
>>
No. 128061 ID: dd3990

"Um... hey. Glad you made it. Nick-Chan just came from that server, too."

Then, crank up the joking sarcasm. "Drink?" Give a thumbs up for his actions during his getaway.
>>
No. 128894 ID: 5eea01
File 126574765692.png - (49.06KB , 800x600 , 80.png )
128894

We quickly disengage, Nick-Chan withdraws.

[Tycho]: ...maybe? I'm not sure.
[Bartender]: Well, sorry about that, was too busy fleeing from the scene and losing my pursuers in a twisted maze of dlogs. So uh...what is this place?
[Tycho]: My place.
[Bartender]: You shittin' me, right? You have your own network? That's pretty posh, dontcha think?
[Tycho]: Maybe. I'm kind of new to the Grid, so I don't know.
[Bartender]: Well, you sure can pull off some crazy shit for a newcomer. Thanks for busting me out. I owe ya one.
[Tycho]: Heh, maybe in return you could give me a dr-
[Bartender]: Don't start. I've killed people for less. So, what are you going to do now?

That's a very good question. Where do I go from here? What exactly do I want to do in the long term? I still don't know exactly why I've been brought here.
>>
No. 128896 ID: 5eea01
File 126574872582.png - (20.18KB , 800x600 , dressup.png )
128896

>[NICK-CHAN HAS JOINED THE PARTY]
>[BARTENDER HAS JOINED THE PARTY]

>[New character customization available]
>[You may choose to rename either of the two, both, or leave them as-is. You may also suggest visual upgrades for their avatars.]
>>
No. 128898 ID: 107da3

>>128896

"Nick-chan" and "bartender" seem rather generic, don't you think? How about Erica and... hmn.
>>
No. 128900 ID: a64482

Rename bartender Awesome Bill, in his whois info put "from Dawsonville".
>>
No. 128903 ID: f21281

>>128896
Nick-chan should be renamed Nichelle.

Bartender will be renamed Max Power.
>>
No. 128934 ID: 34470e

>>128903
I like Nichelle. And as for the bartender, how about just Max?
>>
No. 129088 ID: e447a9

Those names are a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Nikki and Bartholomew get my vote.

If they're gonna be around for a good while, I'd say give 'em a similar tron-esque look. Maybe make Nick-chan's body shorter and legs longer.

Alternative name and design scheme for the bartender? JOHNNY-5.
>>
No. 129090 ID: 3f478b

>>129088
This guy's idea has my vote.
>>
No. 129123 ID: 3a4593

>>129088
I love you for JOHNNY-5.

But yeah - Ask for permission before changing their appearance, or even see what they prefer!
>>
No. 129127 ID: 632862
File 126580031052.jpg - (15.88KB , 800x600 , colors.jpg )
129127

As for new avatar paint jobs... how about something like this?
>>
No. 129128 ID: 5eea01

Oooh, I like those. I wonder if I can resist making them glowy~
>>
No. 129130 ID: 3b87aa
File 12658114524.png - (5.29KB , 306x299 , max.png )
129130

Glad this quest is back.
>>
No. 144335 ID: 5eea01
File 126815129827.png - (16.14KB , 800x600 , DressedUp.png )
144335

>[CUSTOMIZATION COMPLETE. REDESIGN? Y/N]
>>
No. 144338 ID: 5eea01

[[Addendum: Vote in the Feedback thread here: http://www.tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/314588.html]]
>>
No. 144775 ID: 5eea01
File 126820686510.png - (35.09KB , 800x600 , 81.png )
144775

After a brief tour of the Pad my new companions decided to do some graphical redesign. While Nick-Chan (or "Nicky") is busy with "finishing touches", Bartholomew and I have retreated into the Inner Sanctum or, as he puts it, The Creepy Chair Room.

[Bart]: Well, what now?
[Tycho]: What do you mean?
[Bart]: ...boy, you're pretty clueless, aren't you? What are you planning to do now? You're harboring a fugitive and you have an impressionable young chatbot practically latching onto you. It's obvious you're good at shady business, but what exactly are you after?
[Tycho]: ...I...
[Bart]: Ah, forget about it. It's not like I'm going anywhere. 'sides, I owe you, so whatever you end up doing, I'll help out.

He raises a very, very good question. What do I do now?
>>
No. 144789 ID: 632862

>>144775
We have to find out your purpose. That encrypted file is number one priority. Can you try messing with it?
>>
No. 144861 ID: 5eea01
File 126821154721.png - (40.16KB , 800x600 , 82.png )
144861

I still can't seem to be able to unlock it. If I was better at CRACKING or PROGRAMMING I might be able to do it myself...

[Bart]: What's with that file?
[Tycho]: I found it here earlier, but it's locked and I can't break it without risking complete destruction of the contents.
[Bart]: Huh. You know...one hears a lot of things in my previous line of work. I might know a guy who knows a guy who might be able to help. No guarantees, though.

Should I take him up on his offer?
>>
No. 144865 ID: 632862

>>144861
YES GOD YES

let's advance the plot already!
>>
No. 144871 ID: c0f3bf

It has to be safe. Do NOT want to lose this data. Hey, can you copy it and try cracking one of the copies?
>>
No. 144873 ID: 5eea01
File 126821220260.png - (37.70KB , 800x600 , 83.png )
144873

[Tycho]: Very well, let's go see this 'guy'.
[?????]: EEEEEEEEEEEEE!
[Bart]: What the shit?
[Tycho]: Sounds like trouble!
>>
No. 144874 ID: 632862

>>144873
Turn Stealth on, and rush to see what's up.
>>
No. 144876 ID: 34470e

>>144873
You might want Bart to stay in here. He can be seen.
>>
No. 144893 ID: c0f3bf

Tur--
>>144874
Ba--
>>144876
I got nothin'
>>
No. 144919 ID: 5eea01
File 126821536214.png - (33.67KB , 800x600 , 84.png )
144919

[Tycho]: Stay here, I'll check it.
[Bart]: Just holler if you need backup.

I activate ChameleonCircuit and move to-

[Nicky]: You're just so cute with this on~!

Words fail me.
>>
No. 144926 ID: 632862

>>144919
Words fail me as well.

Drop Chameleon Circuit and stand there saying nothing.
>>
No. 144933 ID: 34470e

>>144919
Deactivate chameleon circuit.
"He would look better with 2 on, don't you think?"
>>
No. 144934 ID: 02e714

Well, she's already sprucing things up, I see. Lending a feminine touch to the unwelcoming grey tomb that this place was before.

Also, you might want to consider 'acquiring' additional space for your domain, since they're around. Three rooms do not a castle make.
>>
No. 144935 ID: 5eea01
File 126821697455.png - (35.81KB , 800x600 , 85.png )
144935

>ChameleonCircuit deactivated.

[Nicky]: T-Tycho! We, uh, we were just-
[Sentinel]: SIR, I WAS FORCED! I DID NOT KNOW!
[Tycho]: .....
[Nicky]: I-I was just...experimenting, is all!
[Sentinel]: I DID NOT ENJOY BEING MADE TO LOOK PRETTY!

I have no idea what is going on, but the both of them are becoming flustered.
>>
No. 144936 ID: 34470e

>>144935
Say to the sentinel he looks good with that on.
>>
No. 144940 ID: 632862

>>144935
"Um, look. It's okay. Really. Keep it on if you want. Maybe you can redesign your frame too."
>>
No. 144942 ID: 5eea01
File 12682174984.png - (34.52KB , 800x600 , 86.png )
144942

[Tycho]: I think he looks good with that on.
[Nicky]: But I- what?
[Sentinel]: What
[Tycho]: Maybe you should add another?
[Nicky]: ...
[Tycho]: What?
[Nicky]: Kael, you're really hard to understand.
[Sentinel]: ...so...I can keep it?
>>
No. 144943 ID: 632862

>>144942
Yes, of course. The appearance of your employees is theirs to decide, so long as it does not interfere with their work.
>>
No. 144947 ID: 5eea01
File 126821796962.png - (35.15KB , 800x600 , 87.png )
144947

[Tycho]: Um, look. It's okay. Really. Keep it on if you want. The appearance of my employees is theirs to decide, so long as it does not interfere with their work. Maybe you can redesign your frame too.
[Sentinel]: No need, fine like this.
[Nicky]: So...um. Are you going to stop just appearing out of nowhere anytime soon?
>>
No. 144948 ID: 34470e

>>144947
"Uh, sorry. I thought something bad was happening, and I cloaked myself. You can never be too careful."
>>
No. 144951 ID: 5eea01
File 126821880534.png - (37.64KB , 800x600 , 88.png )
144951

[Tycho]:Uh, sorry. I thought something bad was happening, and I cloaked myself. You can never be too careful. But I digress, I'm going out for a while. You two hold the fort. Bart! Let's go.
[Bartholomew]: Just a moment!
>>
No. 144954 ID: 5eea01
File 126821996290.png - (41.57KB , 800x600 , 89.png )
144954

I wait at the Gateway. I'm hearing some noise from the other room.
Ah, here's Bartholomew.

[Bart]: GAHAHAHA, did...did you see...heeheehee!
[Tycho]: I assume you're referring to that...accessory
[Bart]: Hah hah...so gay...
[Tycho]: Focus, Bart.
[Bart]: Yeah yeah, just a moment...
>>
No. 144955 ID: 61d96f

make sure you bounce around randomly a little before going to your destination. complicated logs make it harder to be tracked.
>>
No. 144957 ID: 632862

>>144954
"I don't even know what you mean by 'gay' but please be more polite in the future. Choosing your own appearance is the right of any free AI."
>>
No. 144960 ID: 5eea01
File 126822100618.png - (95.57KB , 800x600 , 90.png )
144960

[Tycho]: I don't even know what you mean by 'gay' but please be more polite in the future. Choosing your own appearance is the right of any free AI.
[Bart]: Yeah, yeah. Eesh, no need to get all srs.
[Tycho]: Remember to set the Gateway for a random bounce.
[Bart]: Already done, just chill okay? I know what I'm doing. I think. Maybe.
[Tycho]: Maybe?
[Bart]: Okay, I'm operating mostly blind here. But hey, what can go wrong?
[Tycho]: That somehow makes me even more nervous about this, but I see no better choice. Let's go.

>Connection established. Transfer in progress.
>>
No. 144965 ID: 5eea01

Will need to plan the next area a bit. Or at least come up with wacky ideas. Or work up the courage to just go in blind.
>>
No. 145245 ID: 338afd

Does the sentinel mind just being called 'sentinel'? He could be given a name, too. Also, hunt for Watchmen.pdf. :3c Maybe he'd enjoy some reading material on his guarding.
>>
No. 145978 ID: a6ca77

>>144960

Question: How do we level up or stats/gain new skills?

Aside from the auto-upgrade we got earlier, is there some kind of online university we can go to learn in?
>>
No. 162669 ID: 5eea01
File 127097793532.png - (79.79KB , 800x600 , 91.png )
162669

[Bartholomew]: So, do you have plans for Nicky?
[Tycho]: Plans?
[Bartholomew]: You know, are you interested in her?
[Tycho]: How do you mean?
[Bartholomew]: ...
>>
No. 162670 ID: e31d52

HE MEANS SEX TYCHO.
>>
No. 162673 ID: 5eea01
File 127097819566.png - (81.50KB , 800x600 , 92.png )
162673

[Bartholomew]: You know...'hot-swap'. I/O. Tap those nodes.
[Tycho]: Uhhhhh....
[Bartholomew]: Code, are you dense. I'm talking about unprotected data exchange, buddy. Or, as they'd say back@GridTALK, 'do you wanna fuck her'? I mean, she's totally into you, even if you're too retarded to notice.
[Tycho]: O-oh. Um. Er.

That came completely out of the blue. Help?
>>
No. 162675 ID: e31d52

Think about it. Do you?
>>
No. 162681 ID: 7524b0

>>162673
"Honestly? I have no idea how to interact half the time. I haven't actually been around very long, so I don't have a lot of experience. I guess... I like her?"
>>
No. 162684 ID: 5eea01
File 127097896057.png - (83.36KB , 800x600 , 93.png )
162684

[Tycho]: Honestly? I have no idea how to interact half the time. I haven't actually been around very long, so I don't have a lot of experience. I guess... I like her?
[Bartholomew]: Allright, I'll take that as a yes and save myself the trouble of trying to hook up with her. Hell, I probably wouldn't have a chance anywa-
[Clerk]: Ahem. Are you gentlemen ready to sign in?

Oh right.
>>
No. 162691 ID: e2020c

Be ready to sign in and do sign in. Then wander up the stairs to look around.

What if you signed in with imaginary names?
>>
No. 162713 ID: 5eea01
File 127099221743.png - (72.29KB , 800x600 , 94.png )
162713

Imaginary names? Do you have any suggestions?

[Bartholomew]: Excuse me, but we're sort of looking for someone, we're not staying.
[Clerk]: I see. I will have to call ahead to see if they are all right with it, our guests pay well for their privacy. What would be their name?
[Bartholomew]: All right, we're looking for a Mr. M. Playa.
[Clerk]: ...ah, him. Just a moment.
[Tycho]: Who...?
[Bartholomew]: You'll see.
[Clerk]: Mr. Playa is in the lounge. He will see you now.
>>
No. 162714 ID: ceac17

Enter lounge.
bracing
>>
No. 162718 ID: e2020c

Enter lounge.

Think about a good codename.

I don't like fake imagination. I don't believe we're creative enough to catch the epic portion of it. I mean, you can't be all creative, at some point you must be uncreative. You need leads, logics and borrowed words to make up anything. So, if someone has the perfect understanding of your logic, language, code, conduct, whatever, then you're not very imaginative to him, are you? To him, you are at best predictable. And I mean that you don't even need to be against some circuit logic breaker/midn reader, you can just be very easy to follow, while you don't yourself know it.

So how about being very uncreative? Make a bastard piece of code out of your name with some god forsaken encryption so no one can track your easy logic but has to face your coding skill instead. It's much like locking the door behind you when you go?

You'll first translate Tycho into something like raw binary code. Then you will apply the trickiest code locker on it and then transform that with some suitable logic back into a phrasable title which everyone thinks is a proper name. Can you do this? What do you get? Otherwise just kind of BE you're yourself - not really pretending.
>>
No. 162719 ID: 1ac39d

henry, that is your imaginary name. it is so simple that no on would think it to be fake.

no clue what e2020c is rambling about...
>>
No. 162740 ID: e2020c

>>162719
Is that what I'm called? e2020c hmph.

Yeah, henry would pass. No admin is god.
>>
No. 163640 ID: 7524b0

Well the point of an imaginary name is to make you untrackable. So you need more than one.

Henry is good. So is Jacob, Pete, Carl, and Shawn. For starters.
>>
No. 174152 ID: 5eea01
File 127317828248.png - (27.22KB , 800x600 , 95.png )
174152

>Tycho and Bartholomew enter The Lounge.

[Bartholomew]: Hello?
[???]: Ah, visitors! Come in, come in. I simply can't resist fans wanting to bask in the glory of the one, the only...
>>
No. 174153 ID: 5eea01
File 127317839072.png - (25.27KB , 800x600 , 96.png )
174153

[Bartholomew]: M. Playa?
[Playa]: In the flesh. Or, well, you know. Peggy, shoo. Daddy's got business to attend to. And fetch me a new martini while you're at it, be a good girl.
>>
No. 174154 ID: 0b2a05

Make small talk, ask how da business's goin.
>>
No. 174157 ID: 426169

"Lemme cut straight to the chase. I hear you're the go-to guy for 'breaking encryptions' if you know what I mean. I've got an 'encrypted file' that you might want to take a look at."
>>
No. 174166 ID: 5eea01
File 127318002221.png - (47.64KB , 800x600 , 97.png )
174166

[Tycho]: Lemme cut straight to the chase. I hear you're the go-to guy for 'breaking encryptions' if you know what I mean. I've got an 'encrypted file' that you might want to take a look at.

Bartholomew is trying to quietly message me something with a lot of exclamation marks.

[Playa]: Hey now, you guys should keep that sort of thing to yourselves. I don't swing that way.
[Tycho]: Oh. Uh. So. How's business?
[Playa]: ...business is good, raking in tons of money with live performances, got all the bitches I want. Except Cutie, nobody likes her. Now, while I'd normally love to spend all day chatting about myself, I've got some business to attend to kinda soonish, so did you two gentlemen have something of importance to discuss?
>>
No. 174167 ID: 0b2a05

Let Bartholomew speak for this one, he knows what's going on more than you do.
>>
No. 174168 ID: 426169

"No, really, I need to 'decrypt this file' real bad."
>>
No. 174171 ID: 5eea01
File 127318060852.png - (44.34KB , 800x600 , 98.png )
174171

[Tycho]: No, really, I need to 'decrypt this file' real bad.
[Playa]: Yo listen here brah-
[Bartholomew]: Ah, sorry, my friend can be a little...weird at times. What he's trying to say is that he has an actual encrypted file and needs help opening it.
[Tycho]: ...yeah.
[Playa]: You mean...oh! OOOOOH! I thought you guys were...nevermind. Sure, sure I get it. 'course, I don't keep programs for that on me, you understand. I might know a guy who does, however, and he MIGHT be found at a certain address which MIGHT be...

>[Gateway address acquired]
>>
No. 174538 ID: 0b2a05

Excellent. Pleasure, sir.
>>
No. 174541 ID: a594b9

Thank him, apologize for the confusion, and ask about this 'Cutie'. We are after all establishing a kind of gathering of free AIs right?
>>
No. 175054 ID: 5eea01
File 127334593754.png - (46.32KB , 800x600 , 99.png )
175054

[Tycho]: Excellent. Pleasure doing business with you. And, uh, sorry about the confusion.
[Playa]: Ah, don't sweat. You're new around here, I see.
[Tycho]: Who is 'Cutie'?
[Playa]: We don't talk about that fucking bitch around here. Ask someone else.

Well, he's obviously not about to divulge information on that subject. What should I do next?
>>
No. 175105 ID: 0b2a05

Excuse yourself and get out of there.
>>
No. 175112 ID: a594b9

You could ask what this place is all about. Maybe we'll have reason to return at some point.
>>
No. 175127 ID: 1ac39d

let him know you get he doesn't want to talk about that, it's cool.
>>
No. 175142 ID: 94e74f

>>175054
Go to the gate address, why stick around?
>>
No. 175362 ID: 5eea01
File 127339205137.png - (79.21KB , 800x600 , 100.png )
175362

As far as I know, this place is a secure meeting place. High-security communication nodes with extensive protection from eavesdroppers and such. Far beyond my ability to break, and (at least to me) completely invisible.

[Tycho]: Thank you very much for your time, and I apologize for bringing up an unpleasant subject, I totally get if you don't want to talk about it.
[Playa]: Eh, it's coo'. Now if you have no other business, I'd like if you skedaddled.
[Tycho]: Huh?
[Bartholomew]: He means we should leave.
[Tycho]: Oh, of course.

Bartholomew and Tycho arrive at the entrance Gateway.

[Tycho]: Is he to be trusted?
[Bartholomew]: Probably not, but he might get us to someone with the stuff we need. You want to figure out what's in that file, right?

Something makes me feel uneasy. I don't know what. Should I proceed?
>>
No. 175372 ID: a594b9

>>175362
Inspect the address. He might be sending you somewhere you won't like.

I suppose you could activate Chameleon Circuit beforehand.
>>
No. 175506 ID: 1ac39d

>>175372
that's a good idea. double check it then use chameleon before you enter so you come out the other side with your stealth.
>>
No. 193063 ID: 5eea01
File 127643317071.png - (13.63KB , 800x600 , 101.png )
193063

>>175372
>>175506

The address provided is private and what little information is listed doesn't tell me anything. There's no telling what's on the other end.

Unfortunately, Gateways do not support running programs while in transit. Whether this is an often overlooked security protocol or just a side-effect of the Gateways' architecture isn't known to me. Besides, anyone waiting on the other side would immediately notice that the Gateway has been activated.

I have a nagging feeling something's not right.
>>
No. 193064 ID: 5eea01

[Oh right, forgot the map key.]

Blue and black: Tycho's Location
Blue: Tycho's Pad
Red: EON File Server
Green: Grid Talk
Grey: GridNIC
Gold: Hotel
Purple: ???
>>
No. 193082 ID: 1ac39d

i agree, i does seem odd. but we have few options and no other leads. let's go.
>>
No. 193091 ID: a594b9

>>193063
Hey. Maybe we should go back and get the guard for backup?
>>
No. 193093 ID: a594b9

WAIT A SECOND HE WAS USING THE SAME COLORS YOU PICKED FOR NICK-CHAN!
>>
No. 244281 ID: 5eea01
File 128726968978.png - (16.13KB , 800x600 , 102.png )
244281

[Tycho]: Okay, we're almost there. Do you have any battle programs?
[Bart]: Oh, sure. Don't got a /kick command like back at the chatroom, but I managed to get a little something while-
[Tycho]: Wait, there's something wrong. The port...it's...BACK UP, BACK UP!
[Bart]: Oh shi-!
>>
No. 244283 ID: 5eea01
File 128726979083.png - (166.68KB , 800x600 , 103.png )
244283

We exit the Gateway at an alarming speed, as if pulled in.

[Tycho]: It's a traAAAAAAAAAH!
[Bart]: AAAAUGH!
>>
No. 244291 ID: 5eea01
File 128726997413.png - (21.10KB , 800x600 , 104.png )
244291

My head is filled with errors as we hit the partition boundary with quite a bit of force. The area is filled with a cloud of bits lost in the crash.

This is the most painful entrance I have ever made.
>>
No. 244299 ID: 1854db

>>244291
Get stealth up, reclaim your bits and get ready to fight whoever's here to ambush you.
>>
No. 244302 ID: 1b42c5

get out your pick and be ready for battle
>>
No. 245440 ID: 8e5181

>>244299

this
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason