[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 42116)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 41314 unique user posts. View catalog

File 12527034479.jpg - (199.01KB , 800x600 , ch2.jpg )
42116 No. 42116 ID: f98e0b

Expand all images
>>
No. 42118 ID: 6faa8c

OH BOY
>>
No. 42119 ID: f98e0b
File 125270360293.jpg - (75.42KB , 800x600 , 57.jpg )
42119

-s must be the shard thing John was telling me about. Wonder how it works.

Hellooooo, shard. Wakey wakey.
>>
No. 42120 ID: e33f5f

>>42119
He forget to grab us or did you wear him out~?
>>
No. 42121 ID: 01383e

>>42119
man where'd those waffles go

we JUST had them like, two seconds ago
>>
No. 42129 ID: f0c5bc

A NEW SOUL TO CORRUPT! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

...

Uhh ... I mean ... Hi, Cassie, how are you? Where is our bro, John?
>>
No. 42130 ID: f98e0b
File 125270524820.jpg - (55.33KB , 800x600 , 58.jpg )
42130

Oh, hey. G'morning, orb. It's me, Cassie. John's girlfriend.

>>42120
Don't worry, he hasn't forgotten about you or anything, he's just still asleep. His place is kinda small seeing as he is (was) a janitor so he sometimes crashes at mine. We had a pretty long night and he's not exactly what we call a morning person.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind if we talked for a while...

>>42129
...unless this is some sort of One Ring deal. You're joking, right?

Do you wanna come in? We could just hang out or something till he gets up.
>>
No. 42134 ID: e33f5f

>>42130
Sounds fun; we don't have anything planned.
>>
No. 42137 ID: 01383e

>>42134
well, I was planning on eating that waffle, but a rat probably stole it.

Also, consuming something as an inanimate object might be hard.

Anyways, so do you guys got some fancy TVs out here or what?
>>
No. 42140 ID: 1afd58

>>42130
Maybe you could grow some boobs, Cassie? It might make us feel better about you.
>>
No. 42142 ID: 6164e0

>>42130
Sure. Too bad we can't play video games against you, we collectively have hundreds if not thousands of years of competitive experience with a wide range of game archetypes and fusions.

Anyway, what's your take on John beating Oberan? He seemed a bit surprised himself, and the note left on the wall by one of his coworkers implied that he was expected to lose.
>>
No. 42143 ID: 01383e

>>42140
man, she's already pretty hot with that split-hip bipedal configuration. you need it to be exactly what you're used to?
>>
No. 42148 ID: f0c5bc

>>42130

Yeah. Pretty much. I ... I just miss the rest of us.
>>
No. 42150 ID: 6c80cf

>>42130

Sure. It's cold out here. ...Not that we can actually tell, but I assume it's rather chilly. I can understand why we were left outside.

>>42148

We're the orb of INFINITE psych for a reason, dork.
>>
No. 42151 ID: 43d730

>>42130
How do you know about Tolkien?
>>
No. 42156 ID: f0c5bc

>>42150

Yes, the ORB of Infinite Psyche! At the moment we are a SHARD of Finite Psyche, idiot! Damn, I really miss the others.
>>
No. 42158 ID: f98e0b
File 125270705187.jpg - (82.80KB , 800x600 , 59.jpg )
42158

Welcome to my cave. Sorry I didn't clean up.

>>42151
We've been watching humanity for a while, and you guys write some pretty great stuff. Earth Fiction's a niche market, but I'm familiar.

>>42142
There's a mental controller around here somewhere, I think. We could see if it works out if that's what you wanna do.

>>42140
Sure, why not. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

>>42148
...I wonder if there are any glass-blown hookers around. You guys seem fairly horny.

>John beating Oberan
He told me about the head mop thing. He thought it was sort of cheating, but the way I figure it so was the voice throwing.
>>
No. 42160 ID: 5eea01

>>42158
>> you guys seem fairly horny

Oh, you don't know the half of it, lady.
>>
No. 42163 ID: f0c5bc

>>42158

Being a disembodied voice in a glass ball does that.
>>
No. 42165 ID: 6c80cf

>>42156

No, look. It's basic mathematics. A fraction of infinity is still infinity. Infinity divided a finite number of times is in turn still infinite.

>>42158

Mental, eh...? Sounds intriguing.
>>
No. 42169 ID: 5eea01

Hey, what's that poster about? Can't exactly read the title.
>>
No. 42172 ID: f0c5bc

>>42165

Hmm. Yeah. I give you that, but didn't you notice that some of us seem to be missing? Replaced with other, newer voices?
>>
No. 42174 ID: ed8d8a

>>42165
but that infinity expresses itself as a rate of thoughts over time, and that rate has been cut drastically. Granted, it means people are more likely to hear ME, but it still gets awful quiet sometimes...
>>
No. 42175 ID: 6c80cf

>>42174

No, it just means the available output has been separated, creating MORE opportunities. This means that others will tend toward the areas they favor.
>>
No. 42185 ID: f98e0b
File 125270898086.jpg - (85.83KB , 800x600 , 60.jpg )
42185

>>42169
It's called The Hungering Night. A Delter horror flick. Classic stuff.

>>42160
>>42163
I know the feeling.

Gah, these things chafe. Sorry, orb, but I'm going au naturale, k?

Uh, I don't think I can help you with the whole shard business. I'm sort of new to this Human Artifact thing.

But John did say that you guys didn't really know much about the Alliance. You could ask me any questions you like about us, or John, or me, or whatever.

Let's see what's on TV...
>>
No. 42220 ID: bffa2a

>>42185

How's the war going for you guys? It seems peaceful so far despite exploding ships within your borders and talk about battle lines. Any horrible losses or impending doom in the air yet? Where could we get logs of first contact? Turn it to the news?
.... urg ....
Au naturale? Um, we are a bit xenophiliac here. Xenodesperate might be the word. If you don't mind psychic photoshops of you floating around our little net you might want to reconsider.

Not that I'm complaining.
>>
No. 42221 ID: 5eea01

OOOOH she means without boobs, not without clothes.
>>
No. 42224 ID: bffa2a

>>42221

Oh, must have missed that one.
>>
No. 42231 ID: bffa2a

Also, I'm now suprisingly dissapointed. Must be the waffles.
>>
No. 42243 ID: f98e0b
File 125271264849.jpg - (86.94KB , 800x600 , 61.jpg )
42243

Xenodesperate, huh? Sorry I'm not going to strip for you or anything. Not that kind of Qal. At least that apron didn't leave much to the imagination.
>psychic photoshops
Hey, if it's all inside the orb, go crazy. I'm not letting anyone near the real-life goodies but John, though.

>>42220
>first contact records
The pinkos blew up the ship they made first contact with, along with most of the records. The crew was civilian so it's their right to refuse to say what happened, and for some reason they're staying quiet.

The war itself is not really about winning. It's about making sure you pinkos don't all die. With our respawners and the sheer numbers humanity is going up against, especially considering their civilization is post-apocalyptic, they are fucked. We'd have blown them all into a fine vapor already if the Alliance worked that way. But we haven't given up on the pinkos just yet.

We've been capturing all the ships we can and sending the pinkos we take prisoner back to Earth with retraining. And by "retraining" I mean a panic switch we can press if we see them in combat again to give 'em lethal amounts of electricity. Haven't seen any repeat offenders.

>News
Ok.
>"...nveiled its new Triumph ship line yesterday, with two warships created, and three more planned, and put under the command of the famed Navy Admiral Theseus ☲☰☰. The ship features a dual-ring configuration for dynamic combat."
Hey, isn't that John's ship?
>>
No. 42263 ID: f98e0b
File 125271379555.jpg - (43.64KB , 800x600 , Theseus.jpg )
42263

I had no idea Theseus was his commanding officer. The man's a living legend. Two-legged, heavily scarred, and one of the oldest shirm around. He fought before the advent of respawners, before the Alliance itself. He's sort of a maverick tactically and politically, which is pretty much the only thing keeping him from being the Grand Admiral of the Alliance Fleet.

That said, he's sure to be a phenomenal commanding officer. I met him once. He's a great soldier.
>>
No. 42267 ID: af8f27

>>42243
>The war itself is not really about winning. It's about making sure you pinkos don't all die.

Hoo boy, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of GENRE SAVVY, do you? Humans, even, no, ESPECIALLY if they seem hopeless, will turn around and conquer your entire race in the blink of an eye.
>>
No. 42268 ID: bffa2a

>>42243

Heyyy, so you have had humans to interrogate. Can we got logs of those? We are looking for words like jihad, freedom, filthy aliens and manifest destiny spewing out of their mouths with dribble. Beyond that there's very little that would make them attack you unless they have a dictator telling them you're trying to exterminate them.

Mayby we can get a list of those civilians and ask nicely? And then kick them in the head a few times until they do tell.

>John's ship
Oh yes, hopefully it will stay that way and dosen't get blown up. You really should just exterminate if you have the chance. The longer you wait the more certain it comes humanity will find a way to destroy this universe. They are really good at fuckin up things you know. If they can't have it nobody will.

>Not that kinda Qal
Are you sure? It would help us focus. Most of us tend to go back to sleep when nothing is happening. Then blood & tits and everybodys paying attention again. I tell you the attention span we have these days...

Uh.. nevermind.
>>
No. 42272 ID: f98e0b
File 125271438917.jpg - (88.14KB , 800x600 , 62.jpg )
42272

...
Really? Fucking things up? Turning things around?

So far the only unique thing I've seen from humanity is a supreme finesse at making fantasy novels and video games, a fairly high procreation rate, and, apparently, a giant ego.

You seem like a friendly race when you're willing to talk, but we've been watching.
Since day one.

And you're not as special as you think.
>>
No. 42275 ID: bffa2a

>>42272

Fine, have it your way. I need sleep anyway. DeeE DooO DeeT. [The line you have called is no longer in service, please try another number.]
>>
No. 42278 ID: e33f5f

>>42272
It's not so much ego as being afraid of ourselves. And our willingness, even eagerness, to do stupid and supremely deadly things.
>>
No. 42279 ID: 01383e

>>42272
I'm still hangin' around.

though, got any documentaries or something? Basically anything that's not news?

Those guys are crazy asking for news as entertainment.
>>
No. 42280 ID: 43d730

>>42278
For even stupider reasons.
>>
No. 42286 ID: f98e0b
File 125271592468.jpg - (89.65KB , 800x600 , 63.jpg )
42286

Hey, now you're being hard on yourselves. If you didn't have supreme merit, we wouldn't even...
Hrm... you don't know, do you? John really hasn't been telling you much.

>>42279
How about storytime, humans.

It starts billions of years ago, when everything started with a bang. You all know about the big bang, making the universe, yadda yadda yadda.

Now most of the planets made were just clumps of space dust or rocks or whatever. But the universe is a big place, and every so often, there'd be a place that can support life. Ok. You know all this. Moving on.

So a couple billion years later, one race, that's the Qal, finally achieve if not world peace then at least a general agreement, and turn their minds skyward. They take off, cruise around for a while, looking and discovering, until they meet the Shirm.

Now the Shirm are kind of expansionist people, much like humanity is right now, and there's a bit of an interstellar war, bad shit going down, until after around a century the Qal and the Shirm say "Fuck it" and form an Alliance... I'm pretty damn sure it was more compliacted than that, but I'm a receptionist, not a historian.

Now let's go to another planet, a new planet that hadn't really been advancing as fast as the Qal and the Shirm. They watched it and sheltered it, looking to see if there was a race that was resourceful and strong and adaptive enough to be the dominant life forms. And there were. They were the Delter, and as soon as they achieved peace within themselves, and had truly advanced to the next level of civilization, we were ready to welcome them with open arms.

Because that's what the Alliance does. They look for the best species, the ones that can rise above the morass and the harsh conditions and whatever adversity the universe throws at them, and we make contact with them and adapt them into the fold. Everyone benefits.

Of course, finding them is like finding a needle in a near-infinite haystack, but when we do, it's a wonderful thing.

And you were next. You have potential, humans, you really do. If you weren't some of the most astounding testaments to the Universe's wonders we would have kept going. But we stayed with you, and watched you, and awaited the day you were ready. And you were so close. So close to becoming one of the greatest races of the Alliance.

Something went wrong.
>>
No. 42289 ID: 8b14a1

>>42286
Oh, we know all about what went wrong. In fact, we've met the person who caused it. Would you like to hear about a guy named Vresch?
>>
No. 42291 ID: e33f5f

>>42289
Shh, we only have a very partial picture, let Cas go on.
>>
No. 42295 ID: f98e0b
File 125271668897.jpg - (90.39KB , 800x600 , 64.jpg )
42295

>>42291
No, I've told most of what I know. Now it's your turn...
>>42289
Tell me about this Vresch.
>>
No. 42303 ID: 8b14a1

>>42295
Well see, a couple years back, humanity discovered that Magic was sealed away in this giant orange rock, and a guy named Rastin found the rock. With it, he turned magic back on. So now, after thousands of years without magic, people suddenly have to re-adapt to all this magical shit going down.

Of course, people did dumb dumb things during this experimental time. One of them involved summoning a demon of technology. That's Vresch. He ended up attacking the city, forcing government rebuttal in the form of massive nuclear assault. Somehow he made it out okay, and the world got leveled back to the stone age.

Then, being a demon of Technology, he built up the city of Neotis from whatever tech he got his hands on, right underneath humanity's noses. Then he forced people to live there, and ushered in some sort of technological utopia, using all of the planet's resources for a small fraction of humanity to ensure prosperity. As a result, technological advancement was ridiculously rapid, and what happened from there is as much your guess as ours. Somehow they got into space, and now your cruisers explode. We'll have to learn the rest from here, probably with your hubby's help.
>>
No. 42306 ID: 8b14a1

>>42303
>Well see, a couple years back, humanity discovered that Magic was sealed away in this giant orange rock, and a guy named Rastin found the rock. With it, he turned magic back on. So now, after thousands of years without magic, people suddenly have to re-adapt to all this magical shit going down.

I should clarify. Judging by what I know of how time's been working, the "a couple years back" for when the crystal was discovered is closer to "about 35 years ago," and its been about 16-20 years since Vresch built Neotis.

Time works weird for us here in the orb.
>>
No. 42313 ID: f98e0b
File 125271777253.jpg - (98.32KB , 800x600 , 65.jpg )
42313

>>42303
Magic, huh? Now that IS a rarity.
I REALLY wish the pinkos could have joined us now. You guys are pretty cool.

As far as this Vresch goes, demons are certainly an interesting factor into the equation. I'm pretty sure this is the first time anything like this has ever happened.

...waitasecond did you say hubby? Marriage is a purely human institution, orb. But speaking of John...

The door opens. John, still wet from his morning shower, pokes his head out.

"Hi, Cassie."
"Hi, John."
"I can't find my clothes, Cassie."
"I know, John."
>>
No. 42315 ID: 1afd58

>>42313
It is time for insemination, Cassie.
>>
No. 42318 ID: f0c5bc

>>42313
Harhar. I like your style.

>>42315
I don't think they work that way.
>>
No. 42321 ID: e33f5f

>>42313
We're not up to date on the last few years, but this war might be the work of Vresch and completely solvable.

Or it could be nearly anything else, sensible or not.
>>
No. 42325 ID: 43d730

>>42321
Cyborg Lance and armies of techno-cats.
>>
No. 42328 ID: 8b14a1

>>42313
Hubby, boyfriend, boytoy, sextoy, vibrator, the thing you do on the weekends, whatever. You know we mean John.

Also I'm betting the humans could probably still be brought into the fold. Its just a matter of getting them to stop shooting anything that moves. Humans are a paranoid lot.
>>
No. 42340 ID: f98e0b
File 125271857573.jpg - (37.75KB , 800x600 , Dressup_John.jpg )
42340

"Well okay," says John, "do you happen to know where my pants are?"
"Oh, somewhere down on the shore I guess," I reply. "I sort of threw your outfit off the deck."

There is a silence.

"Um." says John. "Okay. See I was going to wear those."
"You may be a gunnery sergeant, babe, but I'd judge your fashion sense to be on a sub-protozoan level. And we aren't in janitorland anymore. Now we are going to make you look RESPECTABLE and PROFESSIONAL, okay?"
"What do you mean, 'we'?"

Orb, you said you were bored, right? Help me out with this sap.
>>42321
Wars come later. You and me have another problem to tackle.
>>
No. 42362 ID: ed8d8a
File 125271990023.jpg - (39.26KB , 800x600 , dapperjohn.jpg )
42362

Dignity and class befitting of his new station in life.
>>
No. 42376 ID: 8b14a1
File 12527203083.png - (77.79KB , 800x600 , PokemonMaster.png )
42376

>>
No. 42384 ID: 8b14a1
File 125272145454.png - (80.57KB , 800x600 , EndTheWorld.png )
42384

>>
No. 42394 ID: 43d730

>>42340
This is actually a rare opportunity.
After all, one does not normally get a chance to clothe something that can be any shape.
What I'm saying is a gimp suit for him would be a large bag made of kevlar. With no seams.
Although it's probably handy never having to worry about sizing...
>>
No. 42438 ID: 8b14a1
File 125272351041.png - (89.28KB , 800x600 , Doobie.png )
42438

>>
No. 42449 ID: 8b14a1
File 125272390574.png - (98.31KB , 800x600 , Rurouni.png )
42449

>>
No. 42458 ID: 1689ab
File 125272439173.png - (30.10KB , 799x600 , technically it's a skirt.png )
42458

Technically speaking, I think it's a skirt.
>>
No. 42542 ID: 9dd38f

>>42458
>>42449
>>42438
>>42384
>>42376
>>42362

I'd draw Isaac Clarke's suit from Dead Space, but CURSE YOU LACK OF DRAWING SKILLS!
>>
No. 42556 ID: 632862

>>42394
They have a skeleton, so they can't be any shape.
>>
No. 42560 ID: f98e0b

>>42542
Your suggestion has been noted though
There's reference enough on the internet
>>
No. 42572 ID: 9dd38f

>>42560

>Your suggestion has been noted though

Thanks.

>There's reference enough on the internet

No one ever makes references to Dead Space, though.
>>
No. 42577 ID: ed8d8a

>>42572
>No one ever makes references to Dead Space, though.

That's the second one this quest bro.
>>
No. 42579 ID: f98e0b

>>42577
there's just something about the flying limbs that really gets them rolling in
hurr hurr
>>
No. 42580 ID: 9dd38f

>>42577

It is? Well, I'm bad at spotting references, and I haven't played Dead Space; I'm just watching the LP.
>>
No. 42980 ID: f98e0b
File 12527647559.jpg - (47.23KB , 800x600 , 66.jpg )
42980

"Introducing...John mk.2!"

((that's your cue, john.))
((i'm not coming out, i look stupid))
((you are if you want sex ever again.))
((shit. fine.))
>>
No. 42981 ID: f98e0b
File 125276488052.jpg - (52.59KB , 800x600 , john.jpg )
42981

Good morning, pinkos.
>>
No. 42984 ID: 5eea01

You're actually looking pretty good there, John. I don't know what made you think you look stupid.
>>
No. 42985 ID: 1afd58

>>42980
Bitch. Don't use sex as a way to get what you want. >:|
>>
No. 42988 ID: f98e0b
File 125276589428.jpg - (84.68KB , 800x600 , 67.jpg )
42988

>>42984
John's not sure. He doesn't really feel tremendously comfortable in a suit, is all. He's never really worn one. You've probably got a better eye than him, though, so thanks.

Cassie heads to the shower. "I need to get into some actual clothes. You can have your orb thing back."

>>42985
John's pretty sure she was just joking around.

So hey, hi again, orb. It's the weekend, so there's not a whole lot to do around here. Except, now that John thinks about it, that pesky orientation he's supposed to attend today.
>>
No. 42992 ID: 1afd58

>>42988
>not a whole lot to do

Just Cassie. Keep her satisfied man.
>>
No. 43006 ID: 6164e0

>>42988
Well, if you have time before the orientation, spend some doing some light cuddling and affection affirmation first,then go.

Alternatively, spend some time figuring out how fast you can convert to a war form designed for increased resilience, strength and speed at the cost of non-immediately essential parts, and switching back. If you are to be a sergeant and you bested Oberan, odds are you are going to be doing more close quarters fighting in the future, and you could stand to get more used to readying yourself for a fight.

But one way or other, go to the orientation. This is to be your new home and new job, so this is really not something to miss.
>>
No. 43265 ID: f98e0b
File 125279782345.jpg - (48.33KB , 800x600 , 68.jpg )
43265

-is is NOT GOOD.

Oh, hey Orb, nice of you to drop in. There are around a squillion rockets on John's trail. His automated countermeasure system is bleeping in alarm. He needs to drop flares, and FAST.
>>
No. 43270 ID: 6164e0

>>43265
Aileron roll and barrel roll simultaneously then sharply decelerate while diving, scatter flares during combined rolls.

Should shake pretty much ANYTHING from your tail.

I hope you have you body adapted to vertigo and g-force resistance though, because that is a bit of a demanding maneuver.

I gather this is a simulator to get you used to your new job?
>>
No. 43271 ID: bffa2a

>>43265

Drop flares fast. Do >>43270

Fire off all your missiles, survive. Last part not essential.
>>
No. 43272 ID: f98e0b
File 125279832679.jpg - (52.85KB , 800x600 , 69.jpg )
43272

OK, barrel roll and flares. Got it. John thinks he can...

What the hell? He's not dropping any flares why isn't he dropping any flares HIS FLARES ARE NOT BEING TRIGGERED THE ALARMS ARE SOUNDING THISISVERYBAD-
>>
No. 43273 ID: f98e0b
File 12527983508.jpg - (16.28KB , 800x600 , 70.jpg )
43273

boom
>>
No. 43278 ID: f98e0b
File 125279862997.jpg - (79.13KB , 800x600 , 71.jpg )
43278

Cassie: "Aaaand that's Cassie five, John zero. I win again!"

She starts humming V is for Victory.

John: "Okay, what the fuck. X was deploy flares, wasn't it? It said deploy flares was X. And if it's an AUTOMATIC COUNTERMEASURES system, why didn't it AUTOMATICALLY COUNTERMEASURE?"

Cassie: "Why would flares be X? They need X for shooting. It's both triggers at once."

John: "Well, uh, the sun was in my eyes."

This is mildly emasculating.
>>
No. 43281 ID: acdc9b

>>43278
Ooh, let us try! We wanna play! Give us a turn!
>>
No. 43295 ID: 6164e0

>>43278
FUCK YES, HOOK US UP, LET US SHOW YOU WHAT WE CAN DO!

Don't even bother telling us the controls, many of us thrive on figuring things out as trials by fire.

...Unless you still need to go to your orientation. THEN GO TO IT.
>>
No. 43300 ID: f98e0b
File 125280014230.jpg - (82.70KB , 800x600 , 72.jpg )
43300

Cassie: "What sun? This is Algrieb, it's shrouded with fog. Face it, I just made you my bitch."

John: "It was the wind blowing me off balance or something, then. I'm a gunnery sergeant, remember? How would I be unable to out-dogfight a receptionist?"

Cassie: "I am office worker, hear me roar."

John's uplink suddenly starts chattering in his ear. It's on an ultra-secure connection. Holy shit. This must be serious stuff. It's against like, ten different regulations to not answer these calls when you're alone, so John excuses himself outside.

"Go get some motor skills while you're out," calls Cassie.

Stupid sexy alien.
>>
No. 43302 ID: f78140

>>43300
you're a really poor loser john. you need to chill.
>>
No. 43305 ID: f98e0b
File 125280069782.jpg - (366.86KB , 800x600 , 73.jpg )
43305

>>43281
>>43295
Sorry, little glass amigo, but the mental headset doesn't seem to work. We plugged it in but all that happened was your ship tried to move in about five different directions at once then exploded.

John makes the connection.
Whoever is calling him is using a secure connection.

>Is this Gunnery Sgt. ☳☱☵?
"Um, yeah, but you can just call me John."
The voice is distorted, probably to protect its identity. It could be Qal, but it's got a synthesized quality to it.

>Hello, John. This is your fairy godmother.
"What's a fairy godmother?"
>Never mind.
>>
No. 43348 ID: f98e0b
File 125280321323.jpg - (109.60KB , 800x600 , 74.jpg )
43348

>You replaced your dead gunnery sergeant, correct?
"Um, yes, but if that was against the rules or something I can easily...
>Unnecessary. You of course wondered why you had been chosen for the promotion?
"Do you know?"
>You have friends in high places, John. And those friends would like to ask a favor of you in return for theirs.
>>
No. 43399 ID: c77d36

>>43348
"Friends? And what's this favor?"
>>
No. 43408 ID: f98e0b
File 125280744120.jpg - (248.03KB , 800x600 , 75.jpg )
43408

>>43399
"What do you mean, 'friends'?" asks John. "You're not exactly doing me a whole lot of favors, placing me directly in harm's way."

>Maybe not. But you have something none of your race has. Keep the shard with you, keep it secret, and keep it safe. You'll be needing it.

"So you're telling me this is some kind of mystical MacGuffin thing?"

>I'm telling you that it will know what to do when the time comes.

"Thanks for, um, clarifying. What's this you said about a job?"

>What I want you to do, John, is use your new position to get the humans home. All of them. They aren't ready for this, no matter how much they think they are, but they won't give up no matter how many of them you kill. If this war continues as it is, you'll wipe them out. You can't let this turn into a genocide, sergeant. You have to save humanity.
>>
No. 43418 ID: 632862

>>43408
Home? Aren't they on Earth already?
>>
No. 43431 ID: f98e0b
File 125280862168.jpg - (284.62KB , 800x600 , 76.jpg )
43431

>>43418
"Home?" asks John. "They have a home. It's Earth. I mean, it's got some wear and tear but it's coming around again."

>Not the ones you're fighting. They're outcasts, refugees from Earth. But they don't understand. They aren't ready for the universe's challenges. They're afraid. They need a shepherd, Qal. Not a butcher. I need you to do this to save them from themselves and from the Alliance.
>>
No. 43514 ID: 632862

>>43431
If they're refugees, then the problem we need to solve must be on Earth. They won't go back home unless it's safe there.
>>
No. 43537 ID: f98e0b
File 125281186278.jpg - (128.68KB , 800x600 , 77.jpg )
43537

>>43514
"Surely if they're refugees, that means the problem has to be planetside, right? You need to fix whatever it is that..."
> There aren't any problems with where they come from. They're just too delusional to see that. You need to set them on the path back home, alien. You're going to help me guide them. And soon.
>>
No. 43539 ID: f98e0b
File 125281192713.jpg - (29.20KB , 800x600 , 78.jpg )
43539

>Because if you don't, I will bring your glorious Alliance to its knees
>>
No. 43542 ID: f21281

>>43539
GORD DOMMIT VROSH
>>
No. 43550 ID: 2cf404

>>43539
OHSHI-

Vresch why do you keep ruining everything that is awesome?!

(John, that's Vresch bee tee double you)
>>
No. 43555 ID: f98e0b
File 125281224850.jpg - (469.74KB , 800x600 , 79.jpg )
43555

Full disconnect.


this doesn't seem good
>>
No. 43557 ID: fdc826

>>43555
I... recommend you do what he says. Vresch doesn't fuck around.

Though I'm not sure we're going to go about convincing these refugees to go back to Earth.
>>
No. 43563 ID: 8b14a1

>>43555
...We, uh. We had a meeting to go to, right? We should get on that.
>>
No. 43564 ID: 2cf404

>>43557
Vresch said we'd know what to do when the time came. I'm thinking that might mean we know who's in charge of the refugees and therefore will know what John should say to convince them.
>>
No. 43808 ID: f98e0b
File 125285410586.jpg - (83.82KB , 800x600 , 80.jpg )
43808

John goes pack inside in a pensive state of mind.

"So? Who was it?" asks Cassie.

"Super secret shit, Cassie. As Gunnery Sergeant it's my duty to obey protocol and not relay messages of Class D security or higher to those I outrank..."
>>
No. 43809 ID: f98e0b
File 125285427253.jpg - (91.29KB , 800x600 , 81.jpg )
43809

Cassie sends a mental command she rigged up to temporarily fry the military bugs in the room.

Cassie: "So who was it?"

John: "There was this crazy glowing thing and it said I had to save the humans and it said if I didn't it would blow us up or something and Orb says it's some kind of demon what do I do!"
>>
No. 43816 ID: 43d730

>>43809
To be fair, he seems to be a fairly nondickish demon...
>>
No. 43819 ID: 4bfef5

>>43816
Remember though, he said his major flaw was pride. He wanted his city to be the best... remember what he did to the rest of the planet to achieve that goal? Now consider the fact that he knows there are other civilizations out there, and what he might do to them to continue pursuing that goal...

I'm not so sure helping him is the right thing to do. But I also don't think we have a choice. Maybe he's grown content with his empire. But pride like that usually isn't satisfied so easily.
>>
No. 43838 ID: efa41b

>>43819
>remember what he did to the rest of the planet to achieve that goal?
Um... ignored it? And eventually expanded his city to cover it?
>>
No. 43846 ID: eeba7d

>>43838
No, he enslaved it... You don't take over a planet by ignoring the previous owners...
>>
No. 43858 ID: 01383e

>>43846
enslaved? he blew it up and then had guards patrol around so nobody would try anything funny. That's an apocalypse with a working police force, I DARE you to find a more orderly apocalypse.
>>
No. 44032 ID: f98e0b
File 125288653079.jpg - (55.04KB , 800x600 , 82.jpg )
44032

Seems like this Vresch is a sinister figure. John would stay here and talk to Cass about it, but the call came around just before he was supposed to head to his orientation at the Glory. He needs to get going. He gives Cass a kiss goodbye, tells her he'll be back in a bit, and accesses the network of public transportaaaAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

>Algrieb Shipyard L
>>
No. 44033 ID: f98e0b
File 125288678753.jpg - (42.31KB , 800x600 , 83.jpg )
44033

...well huh.
The Calypso was a big ship.
>>
No. 44034 ID: f98e0b
File 125288682873.jpg - (54.24KB , 800x600 , 84.jpg )
44034

This one seems bigger.
>>
No. 44036 ID: efa41b

>>43846
He pretty much did until they nuked him. Then he disassembled their regime, which seems like a pretty reasonable response to me.

>>43858
No, his predecessors blew it up. His patrolling robots didn't do a whole lot of anything, besides taking people in to Neotis.

>>44032
Let's take a look at this awesome new ship they've built for us.
>>
No. 44041 ID: bffa2a

>>44034

Would be a bitch to keep it clean though. Who are you in liberty to divulge your recent information to? Would be nice if at least Terrens knew how bad the situation is. I take he is the one giving the tour?
>>
No. 44045 ID: f98e0b
File 125288880522.jpg - (55.16KB , 800x600 , 85.jpg )
44045

>>44041
Dude, you're right. It would be a bitch to keep this thing clean...

heh.

John just remembered that's not his job anymore. All he has to do is save humanity.
And the Alliance.

>Tell Terrens
That's probably a good idea. John'll tell him all about it, but he should wait until after the orientation when he can be in a more private area. This seems like information he shouldn't be telling everyone.

"Zargeant?" comes a voice behind him. John recognizes the voice as a Marine. ☍☊-Something.

Wait, that's not right, this deck is for housing the Glory only and the only people who should be on it right now are officers...
>>
No. 44051 ID: 43d730

>>44045
Don't show you've caught on.
Looking incompetent is a very good weapon.
>>
No. 44054 ID: bffa2a

>>44045

Your guess is as good as mine. Unless your new "mission" already made you target or Oberan is a really sore loser. Turn around and wait for explanation. Mayby he's your new bodyguard.
>>
No. 44372 ID: 8b14a1

>>44051
Seconding veiled incompetence.
>>
No. 44534 ID: f98e0b
File 125295856450.jpg - (57.72KB , 800x600 , 86.jpg )
44534

>>44051
>>44054
Right. Look like a moron. John can do that.
>>44054
He turns around, and, struggling to keep his voice neutral, says, "What can I do you for, gentlemen?"

Well, actually, upon further investigation the Delter appears female but whatever.

"Zer zame zergeant who hyumiliated First Hand Oberan, yih?"
John recognizes a strong Ventor accent. It's a rough frontier planet. Breeds dirty fighters.

He starts converting more body mass to muscle.
What should he do? What should he say?
>>
No. 44536 ID: 6164e0

>>44534
Also turn off pain receptors, and start making a hardened layer of chitin under the skin.

Really, convert yourself to be as strong, tireless and durable as you can on short notice, just in case.

While doing this, reply with some form of

"I fought him and won, yes, but I would not say I humiliated him. It was a close thing."

Truthful, not-bragging, least likely to start a fight.
>>
No. 44537 ID: 43d730

>>44536
I'd be even more frank.
"Skin of my ass. If I wasn't so lucky it would have been much worse for me."
>>
No. 44539 ID: bffa2a

>>44534

"If by humialiated you mean I won by a desperate gamble then yes. Furthermore I don't think you should talk like that about your superiors, especially not someone like Oberon. Why are you here?"
>>
No. 44546 ID: f98e0b
File 125296057530.jpg - (61.79KB , 800x600 , 87.jpg )
44546

>>44536
Pain receptors off. Skin hardening. John can't quite form chitin or even leathery skin without it being immediately noticeable, but if they try to cut him with something, they may underestimate the force needed to puncture.

>>44536
>>44537
>>44539
"Humiliated? I barely beat him. It was more crazy luck than skill. Oberan's a good soldier and higher in rank than you. I wouldn't badmouth your superior officers. Speaking of which, why are you here? This area's restricted."

The Delter grunts to the Qal, who gives a barely perceptible nod.

"Zhut your vucking mouth," he says to John, taking a step forward. "You zay you beat Oberan wiz luck, huh? Lookz like no one's told zer podunk space yanitor all he'z good for iz cleaning hiz own blood up avter we're through with him."

John starts backing up. "Hey, now, I don't want any-"
The blue one is reaching into his pocket. He's underestimated his opponent and has his attention away from John for a split second. John has a sliver of time to act
>>
No. 44552 ID: 6164e0

>>44546
Throat punch, full force and speed, to the one reaching in it's pocket. Qal can't die from that, right?

Then slap the Delter to the ground, HARD.

"No matter how you feel about me, I am your superior officer now, and while I do not require you to like me, you WILL respect me, or we shall have words. Are we clear?"

Say this in a no nonsense tone, like you could crush them, and are only refraining from doing so because they have not committed mutinous acts YET, just implied they were going to in the future.
>>
No. 44553 ID: 8b14a1

>>44546
Step forward, put your arm around the blue one's shoulder. Use your body to pin his arm in his pocket, but make it look unintentional. "We're friends here, right? Oberan's a great guy. Any friend of his is a friend of mine."
>>
No. 44560 ID: bffa2a

>>44546

Space janitor, huh? Old habits die hard and I expect your uplink still has the mop. If we are going to get killed for something atupid like this let's take one of them with us. Materialize our weapon of choice and show some janitor-fu. Use it like a battle bo like I'm sure you've imagined it to be countless of times during your horribly boring job.
>>
No. 44571 ID: 6c80cf

>>44552

This is probably best. The only problem is you can't watch two people at once. The one you aren't looking at will probably try to hit you-possibly the one reaching for a weapon. Remember to kick it out of his hand when he tries to leap for you.
>>
No. 44573 ID: 43d730

>>44571
>Adaptable physiology
>Watch two people at once
>>
No. 44578 ID: f98e0b
File 125296371195.jpg - (78.26KB , 800x600 , 88.jpg )
44578

>>44553
John moves quick, grabbing Blue's arm and pinning it to his side. He makes it look like he's putting his arm on his shoulder. "We're friends here, right? Oberan's a great guy. Any friend of his is a friend of mine."

"Don't vucking tuch me," spits Blue, then as he struggles against John he suddenly realizes the janitor's stronger than he thought."My arm. Zafira, he'z got my-"
>>
No. 44579 ID: f98e0b
File 125296374850.jpg - (76.12KB , 800x600 , 89.jpg )
44579

>>44552
"-HOOOF"
>>
No. 44582 ID: bffa2a

>>44579

Grab him around the throat and use him as a shield against the other. Use your other hand to take his weapon from the pocket.
>>
No. 44598 ID: 6164e0

>>44579
Throw Blue into the Delter. You have enough strength to do so with enough force that it should hurt both of them. Charge in after the throw, and smack down anyone trying to stand.

Then give the little speech on 'don't need to like me, but you will respect the chain of command and show proper respect for an officer, or there will be... problems'
>>
No. 44658 ID: 70a2af

>>44582
Don't throw. Kick. Throwing will off-balance you a lot more, and the added lift is unnecessary.
>>
No. 44735 ID: f98e0b
File 125297568359.jpg - (136.11KB , 800x600 , 90.jpg )
44735

>>44598
>>44658
Yoink.
>>
No. 44744 ID: f98e0b
File 125297662285.jpg - (141.07KB , 800x600 , 91.jpg )
44744

"No matter how you feel about me, I am your superior officer now, and while I do not require you to like me, you WILL respect m
>>
No. 44747 ID: f98e0b
File 125297665286.jpg - (148.99KB , 800x600 , 92.jpg )
44747

oh."
>>
No. 44756 ID: bffa2a

>>44747

Good job. Kick.
>>
No. 44758 ID: 0e1212

>>44747
You've got a split second to act. He's expecting you to talk or freeze.

Don't.

Instead, drop straight down. Slap your arms down at your sides at the same time your shoulders hit it should spread out the impact. If you throw yourself forward enough you might be able to kick the gun out of his hand.


Alternatively, get shot, die, respawn. Hope Vresch doesn't mind being made to wait too much.
>>
No. 44770 ID: 6164e0

>>44747
You adapted your body to be faster, stronger, more combat capable.

No hesitation, this is what you are currently designed for.

Kick the gun away, charge in, punch Delter to death. Deserves to have to respawn.
>>
No. 44798 ID: efa41b

I meant like a proper snap kick...

Ok, worst case scenario, you respawn. No big deal. I dunno if you noticed, but he's aiming a bit low. Use this to your advantage, quickly move forward. You are likely to take at least one shot to your core, which is a bit of a bummer, especially considering it'll ruin your clothes, but it's pretty much unavoidable. So yeah, advance rapidly. Try and grab the gun away from him. If successful point it at him immediately.
>>
No. 44835 ID: 6a6a5e

>>44770
What if they aren't hooked up to respawners?

Oh, hey, here's an idea. Call the police while you fight for your life.
>>
No. 44838 ID: 632862

>>44798
We did steal the blue guy's weapon, too.
>>
No. 44851 ID: 782100

>>44747
Headbroom, now!
>>
No. 44983 ID: f98e0b
File 125305098392.jpg - (136.36KB , 800x600 , 93.jpg )
44983

JOHN IS ALLERGIC TO BULLETS THEY HURT HIM
>>44756
>>44758
>>44770
>>44798
AAAHFGSAJKLH
>>
No. 44992 ID: bffa2a

>>44983

Now snatch that pistol and shoot the blue one first since it still has it's weapon. Keep shut this time as we don't like dying either. Feels all wrong and brings up bad philosophical questions about are you really the same John or did that one die tens of years ago.
>>
No. 45002 ID: 6164e0

>>44983
GRAB GUN FROM AIR

SHOOT TO WOUND
>>
No. 45016 ID: f98e0b
File 125305604013.jpg - (139.81KB , 800x600 , 94.jpg )
45016

>>44992
>>45002

John springs to his feet and tries to grab that gun

gah fumble
>>
No. 45017 ID: 43d730

>>45016
Oh just hit it away then.
Lift them off the ground (or grab them by the collars at least, then deliver a stern lecture about the chain of command.
>>
No. 45020 ID: bffa2a

>>45016

Yes, hit gun away. Whail on the delter like a retard and shove her on the blue. Kick until they stop resisting. If you must deliver speeches do it while kicking. The blue is still armed.
>>
No. 45028 ID: f98e0b
File 125305757679.jpg - (144.76KB , 800x600 , 95.jpg )
45028

>>45017
>>45020
John reaches out to swat the
BLAM
OH WOW BLUE'S HEAD JUST EXPLODED

John didn't touch anything he promises
>>
No. 45029 ID: 43d730

>>45028
It came from behind you.
While I dislike taking chances like this, the guy with the gun is more dangerous than the guy on the ground with no weapon.
See who it is.
>>
No. 45030 ID: 6164e0

>>45028
Stand at attention, SOLDIER!

Military is here.
>>
No. 45031 ID: bffa2a

>>45028

Stay very still and don't get in the line of fire, please.
>>
No. 45032 ID: 64d98f

duck for cover, someone's shooting
>>
No. 45040 ID: f98e0b
File 125305863990.jpg - (49.25KB , 800x600 , 96.jpg )
45040

Seth is here.
He's holding a combat shotgun.

"Mind telling me what exactly just happened and why Lance Harving was trying to cap you?" he asks. He keeps his shotgun leveled.
>>
No. 45042 ID: 820cf9

Default reaction here should be to take the living opponent as a hostage/meatshield. Not too likely to benefit you, but it's not like there's any other cover around here.
>>
No. 45045 ID: f78140

>>45040
i accidentally his entire BFF
>>
No. 45046 ID: 820cf9

Oh, too slow. Okay, explain what went down.
>>
No. 45047 ID: bffa2a

>>45040

Two marines were earning themselves TEN YEARS OF LATRINE DUTY! And apparently I'm not very popular choice for a commander. Please put the gun away, I'll be dodging shots daily from now on.
>>
No. 45053 ID: 6164e0

>>45040
They decided they did not like my promotion, and wished to express their discontent.

I was just going to cause them extreme pain and arrest them for assaulting a superior officer, but what you did works too.
>>
No. 45063 ID: f98e0b
File 125306046827.jpg - (61.79KB , 800x600 , 97.jpg )
45063

>>45047
>>45053
"A couple of marines decided they didn't want a janitor in charge of them," explains John. "I was going to explain to them the value of respecting officers, but what you did works too."

His bravado breaks down for a second. "Listen. Um, Seth. I feel like this is all some kind of mistake. I'm not really a warrior and if I'm this unpopular I'm screwed."

Seth seems satisfied. He's not waving his weapon around anyway. "I wouldn't worry about that, sergeant. It's more who you aren't than who you are that bugs the men. Colm was a good officer and there are people still mourning his passing. I think you've gained a bit more respect after you trounced these guys, from the marines at least.

"And, honestly, if you beat Oberan and held out against two marines at once in your first two days on the job? I think a gaggle of pinkos don't stand much of a chance. Not with the Glory behind you. Now come on-"
>>
No. 45064 ID: f98e0b
File 125306056517.jpg - (59.38KB , 800x600 , 98.jpg )
45064

"We've got to get to orientation."


On the whole, reflects John, cleaning stains would probably be easier.
>>
No. 45065 ID: f98e0b
File 125306063440.jpg - (200.00KB , 800x600 , 2end.jpg )
45065

>>
No. 45083 ID: 632862

It's like John knows kung fu!
>>
No. 45086 ID: f98e0b
File 125306448331.jpg - (47.25KB , 800x600 , bonus21.jpg )
45086

>Bonus Content

...Should John tell you that the kick was a complete accident?
>>
No. 45088 ID: 43d730

>>45086
...Kinda assumed that...
>>
No. 45089 ID: bffa2a

>>45086

Should we tell you that we think Colm's death was no accident and Vresch has found a way to turn off the respawners? Meaning that Colm was murdered purposefully just to put you in that place to whatever end.
>>
No. 45231 ID: 632862

>>45086
Shh, it's a Matrix reference.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password