[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 170863018546.png - (235.76KB , 1295x1295 , 022124_FromNothingTitle.png )
1084137 No. 1084137 ID: 1effd3

From nothing, a new beginning.
383 posts omitted. Last 100 shown. Expand all images
>>
No. 1091952 ID: 1effd3
File 171692236709.png - (376.68KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing95_LitterWatcher2.png )
1091952

>Test Recovery on the burned Florafolk first.
>weren't there burned florafolk around?
>Scorched trees too. Test recovery, but practice afterwards. Once we kmow what you can heal, that can inform how risky we want to be with our spells.
“Oh, you’re right! Recovery should hopefully work on the florafolk. We should head back to check.”

>Let's explore a bit, maybe find a couple runes. We should combine something with blast to make a stronger spell to take this thing on. Probably Blast blast, blast flare, or blast Harm me thinks.
“There were some junk piles in the village that had some runes in them, I’m sure they won’t mind if we take them.”

>also one of the plant folk are watching you from behind a rock.
Silv looks around as she heads back towards the florafolk village, and spots the florafolk watching her. They hide behind rocks and trees as she turns around, but still sees them peeking from their hiding spots. Looks like Silv’s got a fan.
>>
No. 1091953 ID: 1effd3
File 171692240872.png - (469.88KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing96_LayonHands.png )
1091953

>raw voidmatter awakens as new voidlings, when you combine it with runes. They were also tossing runes into that pit, as they don't seem to have a runelearner to use them.
Returning to the village, SIlv goes to check out the junk piles. They mostly consist of dead wood and leaves, but there are a considerable amount of runes in them as well.
x9 Nature runes obtained.
“They likely don’t know anything about runes and how they work. Honestly, I don’t know much about them either. Something about them does feel… familiar somehow. Like I’ve learned something similar before…”, Silv says, before her attention is drawn towards the burned florafolk, lightly whimpering in pain.
“Let’s go Tetsi, and see how effective Recovery is!”

It is, in fact, not very effective. Recovery does heal the florafolk, but the process is very slow, and Silv is exhausted by the time she’s finished healing. It is definitely not a spell that is “combat efficient”. The florafolk are very happy however.
>>
No. 1091954 ID: 1effd3
File 171692243168.png - (337.09KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing97_sleepytime.png )
1091954

>Tremor still kinda seems like our best offensive tool, unless something is particularly vulnerable to fire. I guess we could shock something with static, maybe use stream to make the target wet first, but it's weak electricity so it won't deal a lot of damage to most things. Then I guess practice throwing flare, since you haven't thrown it much before and thus might need to work on your aim.

After resting for a while, Silv heads back outside the dome to practice her magic. Flares get thrown, and rocks get tossed, and she gets tired VERY quickly.
“Why am I so tired…? Is it mana depletion…? I…need a nap…”

“...Wait, what’s mana depletion…?”
>>
No. 1091955 ID: 1effd3
File 171692245192.png - (201.12KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing98_aForgottenMemory.png )
1091955

”--you casted too much Silv. Mana Depletion is when ██ individual's mana is drained to the point ██ near-zero. This was █▚█▟█ to be your next lesson, but it seems someone █▟█ impatient.”

”...Sorry █▟█▚██…”

”Do not worry about it little one. Rest. Tomorrow ██ continue your lessons with █▟▚█–”
>>
No. 1091956 ID: 1effd3
File 171692246592.png - (355.70KB , 900x750 , 052824_FromNothing99_.png )
1091956

“...”
>>
No. 1091957 ID: 5b2941

>>1091956
Hm. Silv? you got a little something on your face.
>>
No. 1091969 ID: 5ebd37

careful, don't spook them.

Also are you feeling... blue?
>>
No. 1091979 ID: 2f41db

>>1091956
We saw it too silv.

Fragmented memory but real.
Obscured but not lost.

Maybe recoverable if...
No.
Not important right now.

Say.
Your new friend is feeling a bit more brave.
You two resting like that,.its kinda sweet.

Say hello softly. Or by gesture.
Let them know youre fine with them.
>>
No. 1091995 ID: 9bbb0e

If using too many spells will get you sick, you need a way to store spells for later. Do you still have any of those water bottles?

You could try applying a Potion Rune to it while casting a spell to store the magic in potion form.
>>
No. 1091998 ID: 5b2941

it might actually be a good idea to use a rune here instead of your island to make a healing zone. That way both you and the burned florafolk have a place to regenerate without you having to actively cast. Also, maybe fuse Life+Life? an unstable but more powerful healing effect might be a good thing.
>>
No. 1092001 ID: 273c18

>>1091956
Are you ok?
>>
No. 1092002 ID: 56db77

>>1091956
Pet the puny plant person
>>
No. 1092005 ID: b09d4a

They have marked you with their scent and have claimed you as their own.
>>
No. 1092184 ID: 7c1f1c

Altering this island's landmass is something that should be undertaken only with the knowledge and approval of its permanent residents. I'm sure such a thing will not be an issue, given how readily we see them warming to our presence, and once you've vanquished the source of their fear one way or another, they'll be doubtless only more glad to supply you with such approval. But at the moment, there are more pressing issues, that require as much mana as we can muster. It is good now that we understand its limits; let us survey the place the foe is known to dwell.
>>
No. 1092317 ID: 1effd3
File 171737414642.png - (148.87KB , 900x750 , 060224_FromNothing100_patpat.png )
1092317

>Hm. Silv? you got a little something on your face.
>Also are you feeling... blue?
>Are you ok?
“Huh? Am I… crying? Who was that? Why… can’t I remember?”

>We saw it too Silv. Fragmented memory but real. Obscured but not lost.
“A memory? Is that what it was? I wish I could remember more… How long have I been sleeping?”

>Your new friend is feeling a bit more brave. You two resting like that,.its kinda sweet. Say hello softly. Or by gesture. Let them know youre fine with them.
>They have marked you with their scent and have claimed you as their own.
>Pet the puny plant person
Silv looks down to see the small florafolk sitting by her side, and lightly pats them on the head.

“Hi there little guy, how are you doing?”

The florafolk chitters happily. Good sign.

“We should return to the village, shouldn't we?”

More chitters.

>If using too many spells will get you sick, you need a way to store spells for later. Do you still have any of those water bottles? You could try applying a Potion Rune to it while casting a spell to store the magic in potion form.
”I forgot my bottles at home, all I have with me is runes and some cooked glowshrooms. Oops!
Silv proceeds to eat 3 cooked glowshrooms, and offers one to the small florafolk, who accepts.
>>
No. 1092318 ID: 1effd3
File 171737416433.png - (242.22KB , 900x750 , 060224_FromNothing101_BeastRune.png )
1092318

>it might actually be a good idea to use a rune here instead of your island to make a healing zone. That way both you and the burned florafolk have a place to regenerate without you having to actively cast. Also, maybe fuse Life+Life? an unstable but more powerful healing effect might be a good thing.
>Altering this island's landmass is something that should be undertaken only with the knowledge and approval of its permanent residents. I'm sure such a thing will not be an issue, given how readily we see them warming to our presence, and once you've vanquished the source of their fear one way or another, they'll be doubtless only more glad to supply you with such approval. But at the moment, there are more pressing issues, that require as much mana as we can muster. It is good now that we understand its limits; let us survey the place the foe is known to dwell.
“I don’t know how to make a healing zone here. Back home we have the circle of stones you have to be on for us to use runes on the island, and I don’t know if this place has anything like that. I’m… also not confident in my abilities yet… I can see if fusing two life runes creates anything though.”
The little florafolk watches in amazement as Silv combines runes!

Life+Life: Success
The combination of Life and Life created a new rune! Silv discovered
Beast Rune obtained!

“Beast? Like animals? What do you think?”, Silv asks the florafolk.

“Chrittr?”

“...You probably don’t have animals here…”
“We should head back now Tetsi. I think I’m ready for this.”
Silv begins heading towards the florafolk village, with the small one following close behind.

It is almost time to fight the monster, are you and SIlv ready?
>>
No. 1092319 ID: 273c18

>>1092318
Ready as we'll ever be.
>>
No. 1092320 ID: 861ceb

can't really think of anything else we can do to prepare.
>>
No. 1092323 ID: 5ebd37

You can do it Silv!
>>
No. 1092324 ID: 7c1f1c

Bring it on
>>
No. 1092334 ID: eb0a9c

Before you start, let's set up a unique marker that our Dowsing can quickly locate, so we can come back to this island later.
>>
No. 1092338 ID: ec502a

>>1092318
Some backup weapons would be a good idea, even just some simple javalins to slow it down if things go bad
>>
No. 1092344 ID: 2f41db

>>1092318
Ready and eager to help, silv.

Need to get your new friend somewhere safe first.
Cant risk them following you into danger.
Theyre curious, bold and smart.
One day you may find yourself teaching rune and magic to someone like that.
>>
No. 1092348 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1092338
Good idea. Our spells are still pretty basic, so chasing out a Void Behemoth is a daunting task.
>>
No. 1092657 ID: 1effd3
File 171789147812.png - (470.72KB , 900x750 , 060824_FromNothing102_.png )
1092657

>Before you start, let's set up a unique marker that our Dowsing can quickly locate, so we can come back to this island later.
“I’m pretty Dowsing only has one marker, and it’s currently set on our island. I could try dowsing for ‘florafolk’, but that might be too specific.”

>Ready and eager to help!
>Bring it on!
>Ready as we'll ever be.
The florafolk village is busy with many members grabbing sharpened sticks and rocks for the upcoming fight. They gather around the leader, who seems to be waiting for you.

>Some backup weapons would be a good idea, even just some simple javalins to slow it down if things go bad.
>Good idea. Our spells are still pretty basic, so chasing out a Void Behemoth is a daunting task.
”I think the florafolk have the spears for that. Also, I’ve got the shovel!”

>Need to get your new friend somewhere safe first. Cant risk them following you into danger. Theyre curious, bold and smart. One day you may find yourself teaching rune and magic to someone like that.
“I don’t think I’d be able to teach them anything… I don’t remember much about myself, or know much about magic and runes… Where did they go anyway?”
Looking around, you see the small florafolk has joined in the gathering around the leader. Looks like you don’t have to worry about them too much.

Silv approaches the florafolk leader, who has been waiting patiently for her arrival.

“I’m ready. Where is the monster?”

The leader chitters to the many florafolk with spears, and points deeper into the woods. They nod, and begin tugging at Silv to follow them.
>>
No. 1092658 ID: 1effd3
File 171789150237.png - (462.13KB , 900x750 , 060824_FromNothing103_PreludeToFight.png )
1092658

After a short bit of walking, the florafolk go quiet and start walking more cautiously. They point towards a clearing behind the bushes just ahead.

”It’s right up ahead?”
The florafolk nod. They begin moving into position, while Silv creeps closer to get a better look into the clearing.
There isn’t much in the clearing, but this seems to be where the florafolk fought the monster last, guessing by the patches of ash and charcoal scattered around. There's a large pile of plants and debris in the center, but there's no clear sign of-

!
“Wait…!”
>>
No. 1092659 ID: 1effd3
Audio Bonus_-_Wind_Of_Battle_Looped.mp3 - (3.20MB )
1092659

>>
No. 1092665 ID: 1effd3
 

The pile of debris stirs!

“Identify!”

Nature Runeling
The result when Voidlings consume runes, something they cannot process under normal means. A great number of Nature runes are stuck inside it, and it has assimilated the Nature around it, mutating into this monstrous form. Very dangerous.
Primary Runic Affinity: Nature. Secondary: Unknown.

“Ah. Fire.”

The Runeling lets out a loud screech. It definitely knows you’re here!

“How should we handle this Tetsi?”
>>
No. 1092667 ID: 273c18

Wait, it eats runes? Maybe we can give it a really unstable rune. Mix up a blast+blast and throw it at it? It's a little risky since we don't know how long the unstable rune will last before exploding, so let's save that for a last ditch effort.

For now, use Tremor to lift up something to hide behind and start throwing Flare at it.
>>
No. 1092668 ID: 2f41db

>>1092665
Keep distance at first.
Ranging shots to get an eye in.
Learn how far it can reach or respond to your attacks.


(That animation was a wonderful idea and a great touch)
>>
No. 1092670 ID: 5ebd37

At least it seems rooted in place. Keep your distance and lets see how much damage a flame will do.
>>
No. 1092695 ID: 8f9bc4

Maybe Eldritch could be of some use? Does the inversion of a rune cancel it out? I wonder what eldritch blast would do...
>>
No. 1092700 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1092665
If the runes are stuck inside of it, maybe you could knock them loose somehow.
The blast rune >>1092667 suggested as a grenade could work, either for that or for damage. We could try throwing it and detonating it with a Fire spell.
Otherwise, getting the runes inside loose would require getting pretty close, so we'd need to weaken it first. Fire spell on its own isn't very potent or far reaching, but maybe you could give some braver florafolk flaming javelins.
>>
No. 1092702 ID: 861ceb

wander if throwing fire in it's mouth will light up the nature runes inside it?
>>
No. 1092705 ID: eb0a9c

You're dealing with a wild animal. You need to attempt to defuse the aggression but simultaneously prepare your counterattack. If it lunges, combine a gale and fire rune. Try every rune in your inventory, see how it reacts and you can work out a strategy to kite it.
>>
No. 1092726 ID: 7c0da2

No need to rush. You should try to find out its secondary runic affinity. I'm assuming you can't Identify what it is because you don't know that rune yet, but maybe we can deduce the combination that created it. Do you sense something familiar about it, something that feels a bit like a rune you know ? Given all the Nature runes lying around that second affinity could be the result of Nature + Something.
The florafolk tried fire already, but it doesn't mean you can't try lobbing some fireballs at it too, from a safe distance. Try to determine its reach and mobility before going in, it's important that you stay safe.
>>
No. 1092758 ID: 7c1f1c

The thing has seen you, but you do not know that it has decided you are threatening to it. The Florafolk may have worked against our end by antagonizing it previously, but fight only if you must. We know you have precious little mana with which to win the day, and any blow avoided is ammunition for later.

You know the runes the Florafolk are ignorant of; is it possible to summon the runes inside of the creature to yourself, and thus dislodge them, ending their influence? An endeavor to reverse the mutation may prove the quickest way to victory. Plying the creature with the inverse rune of its mutation is a tactic well worth an attempt.
>>
No. 1092933 ID: 1effd3

Next update will be slow, who knew figuring out how to animate in a week would make you so tired?

Also, we have a Wiki!
https://questden.org/wiki/From_Nothing

Will try to have update in the next week or two.
>>
No. 1092935 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1092933
Learning to animate just for the quest. That's some huge effortposting, salute to you.
>>
No. 1093366 ID: 1effd3
File 171927564616.png - (564.44KB , 900x750 , 062424_FromNothing105_SilvUsedFlare.png )
1093366

>Wait, it eats runes? Maybe we can give it a really unstable rune. Mix up a blast+blast and throw it at it? It's a little risky since we don't know how long the unstable rune will last before exploding, so let's save that for a last ditch effort.
”I’m not certain that’s what it meant, but unstable rune throwing is the last option.”

>The thing has seen you, but you do not know that it has decided you are threatening to it. The Florafolk may have worked against our end by antagonizing it previously, but fight only if you must.
”...If this thing merged with nearby nature, does that mean it ate some Florafolk? It would make sense why they view it as an enemy. So maybe it sees anything that moves as an enemy?”
Almost as if in response, the Runeling screeches once more, the ground quaking.

>Keep distance at first. Ranging shots to get an eye in. Learn how far it can reach or respond to your attacks.
>At least it seems rooted in place. Keep your distance and lets see how much damage a flame will do.
>You're dealing with a wild animal. You need to attempt to defuse the aggression but simultaneously prepare your counterattack.
“Flare!”
Standing at the farthest point that she can, Silv conjures a Flare, and throws it towards the Runeling. Several of its vines darted in front of it, blocking the attack, and leaving only a small burn where it hit. The Florafolk hiding among the bushes let out cheerful chittering, but go silent as the Runeling swiftly recovers and screeches once more.

“I think I’m going to have to use Flare a lot more.”
>>
No. 1093367 ID: 1effd3
File 171927566833.png - (338.17KB , 900x750 , 062424_FromNothing106_RunelingUsedRootWave.png )
1093367

>wonder if throwing fire in it's mouth will light up the nature runes inside it?
>If the runes are stuck inside of it, maybe you could knock them loose somehow. The blast rune >>1092667 suggested as a grenade could work, either for that or for damage. We could try throwing it and detonating it with a Fire spell. Otherwise, getting the runes inside loose would require getting pretty close, so we'd need to weaken it first. Fire spell on its own isn't very potent or far reaching, but maybe you could give some braver florafolk flaming javelins.
Silv starts running around the Runeling, throwing Flares, hoping to deal some lasting damage. The Runeling blocks some, but several manage to hit its main body, causing it some burns.

>Maybe Eldritch could be of some use? Does the inversion of a rune cancel it out?
“I tried combining Eldritch and Nature runes before, but nothing happened.”

The Runeling screeches, shaking the ground as it does…
...Wait, why’s the ground still shaking?

Sliv quickly dodges out of the way as a row of spikes erupt from the ground!

>No need to rush–
“I think rushing is a good idea right now!”
>>
No. 1093370 ID: 1effd3
File 171927577181.png - (252.83KB , 900x750 , 062424_FromNothing107_.png )
1093370

Silv has the advantage of speed, but her weak attacks deal very little to the Runelings defense, even with the Florafolk throwing their spears to help. Dodging and throwing the occasional Flare is the most she can do right now.

Options and time are limited. Silv can:
try to throw a Blast rune.
retreat.
Other?
>>
No. 1093374 ID: eb0a9c

Think of blast runes as grenades. You need to stuff it in the beast's fleshy interior for the bomb to have a full effect!
For now, use everything in your arsenal and see what sticks!
>>
No. 1093382 ID: 5ebd37

The arena has a bunch of spikes in it now. Think you could use tremor to hurl one at the foe quickly enough to still dodge?
>>
No. 1093383 ID: 981910

You are not only wielder of runes, but Runelearner. Use your learning, and conjure a Lesser Blast; it will be a dire strait before we threaten the home of the Florafolk with an explosion whose ferocity we know not how to gauge. We have yet resort before that.
>>
No. 1093384 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1093370
Throw a Blast rune. If it doesn't go off on impact, use a Flare to detonate it.
>>
No. 1093387 ID: 2f41db

>>1093370
...cant think of anything else to try.
Cant risk you passing out after a protracted fight of lots of light blows...
Blast rune it is.
Hmmm.
The wood its absorbed looks like it may be giving structural support to the amalgam.
Destroy that at it may not be able to hold together.
Try to get the blast rune into that hollow or opening.
Hurl the blast rune but maybe try to nudge on target with tremor?

Then, as said already, flare to ignite if it doesnt explode on impact.
>>
No. 1093390 ID: 861ceb

>try to throw a Blast rune.

might as well see what id does. though maybe wait for it to send up another row of spikes so you can use them as cover incase the blast is a bit bigger then what we think it will be.
>>
No. 1093393 ID: 273c18

Ah, it's got roots? Start using Tremor to pull up dirt. Uproot the plant, or at least expose its roots! Then you can attack the roots, and those should be more vulnerable than the main body. If you can get a good sized stone out of the ground you can smack the body or the voidling flesh part of it to deal some better damage, probably.

What are you unsure about in regards to weaponizing an unstable rune? To be clear, I didn't want to throw a regular Blast rune, I wanted to try combining two Blast runes together to make something MORE unstable. Though if you think a Blast rune will explode given enough time I suppose you could try it. ...oh, I wonder how it would react to Toxcite or a Harm rune...
Oh I feel dumb, why haven't we tried mixing Harm with Flare to make a more dangerous fire attack?
>>
No. 1093395 ID: 8cb907

>>1093393
...Can we just use straight Harm?
>>
No. 1093396 ID: 273c18

>>1093395
Harm has no associated spell. If we really wanted to try to get some more damaging long range spells we'd have to disengage first I expect.
>>
No. 1093410 ID: 0db8d3

Flare+Blast then throw that, or if it offers a new spell, FIREBALL!
>>
No. 1093415 ID: 69cc32

>>1093370
Can you distract it with something it’d see as food, letting you get in a better shot?
>>
No. 1093615 ID: 273c18

Oh, more ideas:
Try casting flare through us, maybe we can empower spells.
Try casting flare multiple times without throwing it, to make a bigger ball of fire! A more intense fire is more likely to get through the enemy's defense.
>>
No. 1093659 ID: 1effd3
File 171987492226.png - (365.75KB , 900x750 , 063024_FromNothing108_SilvUsedLesserBlast.png )
1093659

>The arena has a bunch of spikes in it now. Think you could use tremor to hurl one at the foe quickly enough to still dodge?
>Ah, it's got roots? Start using Tremor to pull up dirt. Uproot the plant, or at least expose its roots! Then you can attack the roots, and those should be more vulnerable than the main body. If you can get a good sized stone out of the ground you can smack the body or the voidling flesh part of it to deal some better damage, probably.
“I can’t stand still long enough to use Tremor in any way!” , says Silv, dodging another row of root spikes heading towards her.

>You are not only wielder of runes, but Runelearner. Use your learning, and conjure a Lesser Blast; it will be a dire strait before we threaten the home of the Florafolk with an explosion whose ferocity we know not how to gauge
Silv quickly uses a Lesser Blast on the roots that tried to hit her, shattering several of them to splinters. The Runeling screeches in anger as it pulls its roots back into the ground.

“Hey, that worked Tetsi! Maybe a Blast rune will work--”

The Florafolk chitter loudly towards Silv as the ground begins to rumble again. Roots begin to close in on the clearing, forcing Silv closer to the Runelings vines.

“Uh oh.”
>>
No. 1093660 ID: 1effd3
File 171987494248.png - (461.73KB , 900x750 , 063024_FromNothing109_EXPLOOOOOSION.png )
1093660

>Think of blast runes as grenades. You need to stuff it in the beast's fleshy interior for the bomb to have a full effect! For now, use everything in your arsenal and see what sticks!
>Throw a Blast rune. If it doesn't go off on impact, use a Flare to detonate it.
>The wood its absorbed looks like it may be giving structural support to the amalgam. Destroy that at it may not be able to hold together. Try to get the blast rune into that hollow or opening.
“I don’t know what a grenade is, but I’ll throw this like one!”
Silv pulls a rune out of her bag, and converts it into a Blast rune while dodging the incoming vines. She throws it just like if she was throwing Flare, and it arcs towards the Runeling. It braces its vines in front of itself for protection, as it had previously.

With a thunderous crack, multiple vines are torn to bits, momentarily stunning it. Silv converts and throws another Blast rune at the Runeling, detonating right beside its main body. Suddenly snapping back to its senses, the Runeling lets out an ear-shattering screech, forcing Silv and the Florafolk to cover their ears.
>>
No. 1093661 ID: 1effd3
File 171987498134.png - (252.42KB , 900x750 , 070124_FromNothing110_KRACK.png )
1093661

It begins to thrash it vines around erratically in a panic, kicking up the dirt as it does so. It’s gone berserk!

>Flare+Blast then throw that, or if it offers a new spell, FIREBALL!
>Oh, more ideas: Try casting flare through us, maybe we can empower spells. Try casting flare multiple times without throwing it, to make a bigger ball of fire! A more intense fire is more likely to get through the enemy's defense.
“I don’t think now is the time for experimenting--””

KRACK

Oh, that’s going to hurt.
Silv and Tetsi got hit by a thrashing vine, and are sent tumbling some distance.
>>
No. 1093662 ID: 1effd3
File 171987500255.png - (146.79KB , 900x750 , 070124_FromNothing111_.png )
1093662

”--Time for review. What are spells?”

”Spells are a means to give █▚██▟ instructions and direction?”

”True, but WHAT is a spell?”
”Spells, no matter the Origin or type of spellcasting, are composed of █▚███▟██ components. The core component is immutable by itself, but with the addition of other components, alters the core, and thus, the spell produced. With the same two components, you can ██▟█▚ several different spells.”

”How?”

”The simplest example is with Fire as a core, and Inertia to alter it. Inertia can be applied in multiple ways to the Fire; sending the core ▚██▚█ as a projectile, or spreading the Fire out around you. If constructed incorrectly--.”
>>
No. 1093663 ID: 1effd3
File 171987503497.png - (285.86KB , 672x750 , 070124_FromNothing112_ThrashAndBash.png )
1093663

All Silv hears is muffled sounds as she slowly regains consciousness. Grabbing Tetsi once more, she knows what she has to do.
>>
No. 1093664 ID: 1effd3
File 171987505702.png - (259.16KB , 900x750 , 070124_FromNothing113_MAQ_When.png )
1093664

CREATE A 3 RUNE SPELL FROM YOUR KNOWN RUNES.
>>
No. 1093666 ID: 273c18

>>1093659
Oh you have to stand still to use Tremor? Bad drawback...

>>1093664
Flare as the core, Breeze to give Inertia... how about Blast or Harm to make it stronger?
>>
No. 1093671 ID: 0db8d3

Here's several I can think of.

Lesser Fireball
{Stream}-((Flare))≠{Blast}

Lightning Bolt
{Static}-((Static))≠{Blast}

Lesser Thunderstorm
{Gale}-((Stream))≠{Static}

Twister
{Ice}-((Gale))≠{Flare}

Stone Buckshot
{Blast}-((Tremor))≠{Gale}

Air Bullets
{Blast}-((Gale))≠{Blast}

Rejuvenate
{Nature}-((Recovery))≠{Potion}

Strange Regeneration
{Potion}-((Eldritch))≠{Recovery}

Cone of Anti-Life
{Breeze}-((Harm))≠{Eldritch}

Corrupt
{Harm}-((Eldritch))≠{Nature}

Create lesser Undead
{Potion}-((Eldritch))≠{Harm}

Life Drain
{Static}-((Harm))≠{Recovery}

Mutate Self
{Nature}-((Eldritch))≠{Potion}

Healing Word
{Recovery}-((Recovery))≠{Recovery}

Flamethrower
{Gale}-((Flare))≠{Flare}

Fox Fire
{Breeze}-((Flare))≠{Harm}

Earth Spike
{Stream}-((Tremor))≠{Stream}

Honestly I think Fox Fire might be the best one. A weak but ranged fire attack using all basic runes should be safe, effective, and mana efficient. That said, Lesser Fireball and and Flamethrower could end things more quickly at the cost of more mana, given they use more advanced runes. Buckshot or Lightning Bolt could probably end this near instantly, but do we have that much mana?
Alternatively I suppose we could just keep doing what we're doing, and use a healing spell to win the battle through attrition...
Or we could do something... Crazy.
>>
No. 1093674 ID: 5ebd37

Would applying potion to flare and tremor make a lob-able magma chunk?
Gale with static and flare might make a fire storm.
>>
No. 1093681 ID: 2f41db

>>1093666
>>1093671
Even if foxfire is one of the less potent ones itd have to be stronger than unaltered flare.

I think youve both got fireball figured out too, but collateral damage chances spike higher with that.

Only thing i can think of is a flare core, gale momentum, static augment.
A firebolt that clings. Fire that dances across the target like electricity would.
Net of fire, if its a valid combination.
>>
No. 1093686 ID: 7c1f1c

By learning will we triumph. Our knowledge of runes will be our overpowering strength. We know its runic affinity is Nature, and we have seen already the effectiveness of the Lesser Blast against the foe. Let us imbue our Blast with the element we know to be most deleterious to an avatar of Nature: the Eldritch.

Flare + Flare + Eldritch
ELDRITCH BLAST
>>
No. 1093690 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1093666
Flare with Breeze and Harm attached sounds powerful but also widespread, more like a Burning Hands. Will it catch the Florafolk in the fire?
>>
No. 1093698 ID: 5b2941

>>1093664
>MAQ_When
well ain't that the question we're all asking
>>
No. 1093969 ID: 1effd3
File 172047520982.png - (312.66KB , 900x750 , 070824_FromNothing114_.png )
1093969

>>1093671
>>1093686
NOT ENOUGH “INSTRUCTION”...

>Would applying potion to flare and tremor make a lob-able magma chunk? Gale with static and flare might make a fire storm.
POTENTIAL RESULTS. LACKS MEANINGFUL INSTRUCTION HOWEVER.
>Flare as the core, Breeze to give Inertia... how about Blast or Harm to make it stronger?
>>1093690
THIS SHOULD FUNCTION. IT SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH INSTRUCTION TO LIMIT UNINTENDED RESULTS.

x3 runes consumed.
>>
No. 1093970 ID: 1effd3
File 172047524592.png - (388.66KB , 900x750 , 070824_FromNothing115_FlareMortar.png )
1093970

Time seems to slow down for Silv as she raises Tetsi towards the rampaging Runeling.

“...Flare as the core…”

“...Breeze to provide inertia…”

“...Blast to augment the core to detonate on impact…”

The air crackles and burns in front of Silv and Testi, as something new is created from nothing.

”...Flare Mortar!”
>>
No. 1093971 ID: 1effd3
File 172047527133.png - (838.46KB , 900x750 , 070824_FromNothing116_Kwispy.png )
1093971

The spell impacts the Runeling, engulfing it in a brilliant blast of cinders. It reels and screeches from the fire, its body burnt and torn, but ultimately not yet defeated. Silv launches another Flare Mortar, wherein it once again impacts the Runeling. Silv collapses and drops Tetsi after being drained of her remaining mana, unable to witness the effort of her labors.
>>
No. 1093972 ID: 1effd3
File 172047528826.gif - (70.73KB , 720x600 , 070824_FromNothing117_Kwispy.gif )
1093972

...You get to see a cool explosion though.
>>
No. 1093973 ID: 1effd3
File 172047532178.png - (429.30KB , 900x750 , 070824_FromNothing118_HeroesWelcome.png )
1093973

The Florafolk enter the clearing once the dust settles, and quickly bring you and SIlv back to their home, where they lie her on a pile of soft(?) leaves. After some time, Silv finally wakes up, surrounded by many Florafolk.

“Ow… Did I win?”

Cheers erupt from the Florafolk as they surround Silv. The Florafolk Leader even gives her a pat on the head. Suffice to say she indeed won, although a little worse for wear. Silv is still recovering and mana is fairly depleted, so using Recovery at the moment might not be possible.

Several Florafolk come up and deposit everything that came from the Nature Runeling near to you and Tetsi.
“Oh, thank you! That’s a lot of stuff…”
x8 Voidmatter obtained.
x27 Nature runes obtained.
For some reason you feel like this is more than what Silv can put in her bag…

What should you do now? You should return home soon.
Self-reflection.
Pack up and leave.
Other?
>>
No. 1093974 ID: a7a180

Use some of the resources you can't pack with you to cast some helpful spells for the florafolk. Or maybe you can even craft them into items!
>>
No. 1093975 ID: 273c18

>>1093973
If we can't carry all these runes then we should use them. I feel as though the best way we can do that right now is to try new rune combinations!
Flare+Tremor
Life+Harm (death?) Wait, did you try inverting Life?
Nature+Breeze
Tremor+Tremor
Static+Static
Gale+Stream
Nature+Stream
Beast+Eldritch

Hmm, can you think of a combination that might lead us to more abstract meanings like intelligence or strength?
>>
No. 1093976 ID: 273c18

Oh but maybe some self-reflection first. How are you doing?
>>
No. 1093977 ID: 79993d

Self reflection! Show us the stats!

Also, cant we find a box or something to carry stuff back? You need a box
>>
No. 1093981 ID: 0db8d3

Let's wait a little bit for some mana to recover. Eat a bit and rest up. I have an idea.

Beacon
{Eldritch}-((Static))≠{Flare}

First We'll use Static as a base- The essence of the spell is a field of energy.

We will then use Eldritch To modify that field. We need it to stay in an arbitrary place in space, and we need it to function indefinitely. To do so falls afoul of the natural laws of physics. We'll tie it directly to the arcane to draw it's power and to exert our will upon the arbitrary space.

Finally, The field will be infused with an aspect we can borrow from the Flare rune: Light.

The resulting spell should create a permanent source of light in a place of our choosing. When placed near the highest point of the island, it should act as a brilliant star in the void. So long as it persists, we'll be able to find our way back here to visit our new friends!
>>
No. 1093982 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1093973
If we leave the large cache of nature runes here, it may help us locate the island again in the future. Once we have a more effective way of keeping track of islands, we could put them to use expanding our island with natural growth and possible look into the florafolk joining us there as we develop it.
>>
No. 1093984 ID: 861ceb

>What should you do now?
rest until you can defend yourself again then thank the plant people for their hospitality and then head out.
>>
No. 1093986 ID: 51ed13

Do they do parties? This seems like an appropriate time for a small party.
>>
No. 1093997 ID: 2f41db

>>1093982
Good idea.
Rune concentrations as nav points.

Perhaps silv could use one or two to give this land a kickstart in its healing.
Side benefit would be it being good practice but mainly itd get the florafolk back on thier feet quicker.
>>
No. 1094002 ID: 2a82d3

I bet your Recovery runes would more effective if you combine with another rune that matches the affinity of the target. Nature to natural things, Eldritch to eldritch. If you can stretch the definition of Recovery enough, you could even rebuild a better hous waitaminute

If everything we've done, are doing, and are going to do is going to lead to recovering your memories, that would imply we're highly in sync with you. That doesn't happen easily by accident. Did you mean to seek us out? If so, why? If you didn't mean to, how?
>>
No. 1094003 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1093997
Unfortunately, I think we can only use them to shape land around our stone circle. Which is why I'd like the florafolk to join us over there eventually, or ideally find a way to get their land mass to ours'. These weird facilities are too unique to warrant just abandoning, and they already have homes and attachments here they just fought to protect.
>>
No. 1094004 ID: 8f9bc4

Congratulations, Silv! You're starting to remember a few things! Sad things, but better than no things. It gives you something to strive for, building your little home here in the void.
>>
No. 1094013 ID: 2f41db

>>1094003
Ah damn.
Could potentially try for a renewal spell though in the meantime.
Drawing the lands together would be a good long term goal.
>>
No. 1094159 ID: 7c1f1c

Reflect, runelearner. You are starting to remember more and more of your previous learning; your craft is returning to you. Think on these things. What can you recall about your former education? Who was it that gave it to you? How did you come to learn these secrets?
>>
No. 1094373 ID: 1effd3
File 172126122663.png - (129.08KB , 482x750 , 071624_FromNothing119_StatusUp.png )
1094373

>some self-reflection first. How are you doing?
>Self reflection! Show us the stats!
>Reflect, runelearner.
”Identify.”

— — —
Name: Silv Mithra:

Race:???

Class Archetype: Spellcaster
Class: Thaumaturge


Abilities:

Runelearner: Can learn the fundamentals of the universe, runes. Silv can combine, invert, and convert physical runes, among some other uses.
Skitter: Increased speed for movement and actions.

Spells: Flare, Tremor, Stream, Breeze, Lesser Blast, Recovery, Static

Equipment: Tetsi, Worn Bag
----------------
New Abilities:
Spellcrafter: No matter the origin or type of spellcasting, spells are constructed from components and instructions. Silv can create templates for new spells out of physical runes, up to her maximum spell count. The runes are consumed by this process, but the spell can be used until it's replaced with a different spell.
Maximum Spells: 1 (Flare Mortar)

— — —
Name: Tetsi

Class: Artifact

Abilities:
Illuminate: Lights up the area around the Eye.
Identify(shared): Can be used to identify creatures and objects.
Dowsing: Locates the closest ‘target’ to self, guides in a direction. Can also place markers on objects and locations to find them again. Limit 1 marker.
----------------
Updated Abilities:
Identify(shared): Now capable of gaining more information from a target, such as runic affinity..
Dowsing: Marker limit increased to two. “Home” is now a permanently remembered location.
— — —
”Looks like we got some new abilities Tetsi. You can mark more stuff now, and we can always find home! What’s ‘thaumaturge’ though?”

>If we leave the large cache of nature runes here, it may help us locate the island again in the future.
>Good idea. Rune concentrations as nav points.
”I think dowsing getting improved kind of negates this, but maybe a useful idea later.”

>Use some of the resources you can't pack with you to cast some helpful spells for the florafolk. Or maybe you can even craft them into items!
>If we can't carry all these runes then we should use them. I feel as though the best way we can do that right now is to try new rune combinations!
>>1093981
”I’m too tired to try this at the moment though…
>>
No. 1094374 ID: 1effd3
File 172126125087.png - (173.31KB , 900x750 , 071724_FromNothing120_SQUARE.png )
1094374

>Also, cant we find a box or something to carry stuff back? You need a box
Silv asks the Leader and other Florafolk about a box or container to put the stuff from the Runeling in. Some of the Florafolk run off and should be back in a bit.

>Do they do parties? This seems like an appropriate time for a small party.
”They seem like they’re already celebrating.”

>Perhaps silv could use one or two to give this land a kickstart in its healing. Side benefit would be it being good practice but mainly itd get the florafolk back on thier feet quicker.
>Unfortunately, I think we can only use them to shape land around our stone circle. Which is why I'd like the florafolk to join us over there eventually, or ideally find a way to get their land mass to ours'. These weird facilities are too unique to warrant just abandoning, and they already have homes and attachments here they just fought to protect.
>Ah damn. Could potentially try for a renewal spell though in the meantime. Drawing the lands together would be a good long term goal.
”I don’t understand much about runes or how you work Tetsi, but I think the stone circle back home is important somehow. I was hoping you’d know more than me.”
>>
No. 1094376 ID: 1effd3
File 172126127695.png - (221.56KB , 900x750 , 071724_FromNothing121_I_Feel_Like_this_is_against_.png )
1094376

>Congratulations, Silv! You're starting to remember a few things! Sad things, but better than no things. It gives you something to strive for, building your little home here in the void.
>Reflect, runelearner. You are starting to remember more and more of your previous learning; your craft is returning to you. Think on these things. What can you recall about your former education? Who was it that gave it to you? How did you come to learn these secrets?
”I don’t know who that is in my memories, but I feel they were important to me for some reason… as for knowledge, I’m not sure it’s supposed to… intentionally apply to runes? I don’t know how to explain it.”

After a bit, some Florafolk return with… the tree trunk that was part of the Runeling, and some smaller pieces of wood and vines. Looks like they’ve wrapped it all together to make a fairly flimsy container, but it should work on a one way trip.
“Looks like we should be going now Tetsi. I think I’m rested enough to head home.”
>>
No. 1094377 ID: 1effd3
File 172126130413.png - (305.69KB , 900x750 , 071724_FromNothing122_.png )
1094377

The Florafolk help carry Silv’s belonging to the edge of the island as she sets up a marker with Dowsing. She waves goodbye to the Florafolk, and ventures into the darkness towards her home.
— — —
The air has gotten a little colder once Silv returns to her island, where her voidlings are waiting for her.
“Hey we’re back, did you behave while we were gone?”,Silv asks as the voidlings swarm around her. Silv is too tired at the moment to unpack and check everything, so she decides to go rest some more in her little shelter, leaving you to stand by and watch.
>>
No. 1094378 ID: 1effd3
File 172126132279.png - (237.95KB , 900x750 , 071724_FromNothing123_Quiet.png )
1094378


>>
No. 1094379 ID: 1effd3
File 172126134256.png - (244.15KB , 900x750 , 071724_FromNothing124_Stowaway.png )
1094379

Wait.
>>
No. 1094381 ID: 5b2941

>>1094379
oh hey, new pet
>>
No. 1094387 ID: 273c18

>>1094379
Ah, your new friend seems to have stowed away in the container. Sleepover I guess?

>>1094373
Hmm, Thaumaturge is basically just another word for wizard, but it specifically means "worker of miracles". I dunno what it means in this context.

...we should try to Identify the stone circle later.
>>
No. 1094399 ID: eb0a9c

Well, as long as they don't kill each other...

We'd better make sure the Root didn't regenerate.
>>
No. 1094407 ID: 9bbb0e

>>1094379
That must be why the stump was so heavy.
We should make sure the florafolk knows the local voidlings are friendly. They haven't had the best experiences with them.

>>1094387
>Identify the stone circle
Good idea, it should give us more information now.
>>
No. 1094408 ID: 44c167

An admirer, or could they be, an apprentice? I hope they're not being missed back home. And that we have something they can eat while they're here.

The voidlings are going to eat that wood aren't they.
>>
No. 1094410 ID: 07a5ab

Might as well invite them over to rest next to the snuggle bug and make sure they don’t attack. Any of the voidlings or vis versa
>>
No. 1094412 ID: 0db8d3

I see a cute stowaway!

Cuddle Tiems?
>>
No. 1094414 ID: 2f41db

>>1094377
Rest well silv, youve more than earne-
>>1094378
...
>>1094379
...brave little thing arent they?
Guess they really like you silv.
Oh well.
Ŕoll out the guest bed.
Well, guest bit of floor then.
Ŵe could do with finding you some mossy growth to harvest...
383 posts omitted. Last 100 shown. [Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason