[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 167521088444.png - (623.43KB , 1000x1000 , ThreadHeaderCH4PSD.png )
1055064 No. 1055064 ID: 1015ea

Prelude:>>/questarch/970260
Chapter 1:>>/questarch/985116
Chapter 2:>>/questarch/1007458
Chapter 3:>>/questarch/1034710
Discussion:>>/questdis/133296
Wiki:https://tgchan.org/wiki/Last_Trace


Discord: https://discord.com/invite/x9QHPvzhdD

----------

There's nobody left to help.
Expand all images
>>
No. 1055065 ID: 1015ea
File 167521093285.png - (625.91KB , 1000x1000 , ThreadHeaderPt2.png )
1055065

>Loss is sobering for many, making you aware of just how lucky you were to have some things in your life.
>For this soldier, new resolve is found.
>Will this fight go differently?
>We'll have to see.
>>
No. 1055066 ID: 1015ea
File 167521095351.png - (0.96MB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapPlanning.png )
1055066

...I'm going to win this one. I will.


This time, we're up against Mnemosyne - a living storm of a woman. The pride of Site 70, as they say - she's been kicking ass since long before I was born.
Even then, just like the rest of us, she hasn't seen much genuine action. I've heard talks about how there was plans to have her transferred to some place in the Weave but I get the feeling she stayed behind for some reason, probably sentimental.
That's not my problem.

My problem is how we're going to kick her ass.

We don't have a map for the area this time, but I do have a decent impression of what it's like. We're in the Security and Armoury branch - and the brig, though it apparently never got used except for putting rowdy idiots in their places.
Something unique to this branch is the Elevator - they keep the munitions and ammo down there, apparently so if bombs get dropped on us, Site 70 doesn't turn into a giant fireball. It's down a big cargo elevator, so it ain't like the prisoners could actually sneak down there to arm themselves either.
If the fights go the way our previous ones have, we're probably going to move through each of these areas.
Dunno how much is gonna be hidden away in here, but we're going to have to adapt.
>>
No. 1055067 ID: 1015ea
File 167521098611.png - (919.40KB , 1500x1000 , CH4WeaponSelect.png )
1055067

Even though I lost to that idiot of a swordswoman, I still ended up with a new weapon - Plug. Didn't get any new gadgets since last time besides the Amp Rings so I'm less prepared than i'd like to be. Doesn't matter. We have to win this either way.

My current equipment:
Twin Revolvers - The Sound and The Fury
Shotgun - The Creirwy D-3
Sniper Rifle - Prototype H-ED DSTR
Auxiliary Melee - Silkweave Gauntlets
Longblade - Plug


Card list:

2 Solburst
3 Frozeneye
3 Breezecycle
1 Briarspirit
1 Voidsplit
4 Echoscribe


Gadgets:
Barrier Generator - Projected Forcefield.
Beam Unit - Long-ranged Beam Attack.
Explosive Discs (3) - Throwable plastic explosives.
Pitch Prefect - Wrist-mounted tar launcher.
Blink Capacitor - Short-ranged teleportation and intangibility.
Blade Printer - Aerodynamic disposable knife creation.
Amp Rings - Short-term physical strength enhancement.

In addition, I put a thin layer of oil over my clothes. If anything, my fur already gets stained with enough lubricant when I'm oiling up some of my weapons and tools...
And now that I've got a whole damn sword to polish, that's something else.

The thin oil coating should at least protect me from Mnemosyne's Parasignia directly, preventing her from disrupting my movements and actions.
Being able to open up a damn portal to strong winds isn't exactly the kind of Parasignia I'd expect her to have, but it's a suitably powerful pain in the ass.

That being said, we need to keep an eye on it. She could open portals on the ground, the walls - anything to catch me off-guard.

To propose a bit of an initial strategy...
In contrast to what Astrolysis and Nickel can do, it's all about pressing advantages here. Mnemo and me, we're kinda alike in that we're adaptable. She has tools, I have tools. I'm willing to bet she's got a few gadgets on her person, just like how Judi used hers against us. I wouldn't know which one's she's got though. We poke at her with our toolset, then we capitalize off of whatever weaknesses we DO find. If we manage to land a lucky hit or two, we switch off of it so that she can't counter the strategy afterward.

Now, what about you? Any of you lot have ideas as to what loadout I should pack going in?
>>
No. 1055071 ID: e5709d

Okay, what would someone with wind powers and wind tr-
...
Fudge Ripple.
https://bioshock.fandom.com/wiki/Cyclone_Trap

Here's my guess. She's going to load the area with shrapnel, thermite, neurotoxins, and anything she can rub on the sides of a wall with her bare
And then all she needs to do is cast cyclone() on the pre-seasoned killing boards. Additionally, since she's in control of the wind rather than an automated teleporting fan, she can redirect the winds so she's effectively immune to her own powder traps.

We don't know much about her combat style, but we know this: she's willing to take a grenade to the chest if she thinks it's worth it.

Oh, and she posted something just now. Hm. But that seems like a fallacy. Certainly, her world is dead and gone and everything it once stood for has rotted due to the proof-of-concept of a self-destructive nuclear war, but there's survivors in the nexus -
aren't there?
Double Fudge Ripple with a side order of fried onions.

>loadout
If you're going against a gadgeteer, then you need a skillset that counteracts diversification with all-rounded defense. This one's going to get weird.
Explosive Discs(Blink Capacitor, Beam unit) - Anything you throw at Mnemosyne is going to date 400 kilotons of wind. Send an infiltrator through the backdoor; she's practiced in deflecting attacks, she won't have as much preparation with blocking/withstanding.
Pitch Prefect(Barrier Generator, Blade Printer) - Now for the real controversy. Normally I'd yell at anyone who suggests this idea. You are dealing with someone who can redefine the battlefield by its flat surfaces. The moment Mnemosyne sees your tar flying, she'll do whatever she needs to destroy it and reclaim the turf. Shield your tar, and the surfaces will stay neutral longer. You can also use it on cover objects to reinforce against high-penetration attacks.
>>
No. 1055072 ID: 1015ea

The wiki page has been updated with current gadget tags. If you need a better impression of what gadgets provide as a sub-slot, please check it out!
>>
No. 1055074 ID: 629f2e

STRATEGY:

I agree with Argine, I think this is a match where we really want to take an early lead. Don't be too reckless, but press your advantage wherever you can. You don't want to get caught on the backfoot early, but you're up against someone with a lot of experience. Your gadgets need to provide good burst options to overwhelm, while still being consistent tools you can make use of throughout the battle.

Depending on how effective your ranged weaponry holds up to her wind, don't be afraid to use melee.

GADGETS:

Beam Unit - Gives us a projectile attack that can deal decent damage, and which she can't easily redirect or nullify with her Parasignia. Our best burst option, and a nice way to get through any cover she may have with the attachment I'm recommending.
-Blade Printer (Mainly for "Cutting" tag, as it would help out beam carve through any cover Mnemosyne tries to put between it and herself)
-ALTERNATIVELY: We could stick the Explosive Discs here if the Blade Printer wouldn't work the way I think it might. Give the beam an explosive impact that locks this down as our strongest tool.

Amp Rings - The extra strength will be helpful in general for mobility, melee attacks, and moving larger elements of the terrain. With the right attachments, it can also serve some defensive/utility purposes.
-Barrier Generator (If we need to use our strength to rush in, adding a protective element to ourselves will make it less risky. The "Reflective" part will also punish Mnemosyne for trying to interrupt us while we're using them.)
-ALTERNATIVELY: The Blink Capacitor could let us close the distance to get in close for our enhanced attacks, or possibly displace our strength elsewhere? Perhaps we could send air shots by punching from a distance?

Pitch Prefect - The tar will be helpful for slowing her down and sticking down items she may want to send at us with her wind. Projectiles are a risky move against her, but we have a few tools we could use to make it work.
-Blink Capacitor (It'll be hard for our tar shots to get past her wind, but I think we can manage if we can remove the travel time. It'll be harder for Mnemosyne to position her portals to redirect shots if she can't tell when or where they'll land.)
-Explosive Discs (A tar explosion is more likely to stick Mnemosyne down, making our shots more effective.)
>>
No. 1055092 ID: 9a2966

>Strategy
Seems legit. Also, looking at Storyteller cards you haven't used yet, you can consider using Breezecycle to swap out for a different gadget combo if it becomes obvious you'll need a different sort of edge. Frozeneye also seems handy, as you could use one for situational analysis, mitigating your lack of intel on her gadgetry and the map.

Let's also remember that your gadget combinations in previous fights may have been observed and taken into account, so switching up your combos from previous ones might be a good idea.

Amp Rings go on - that's a given. Unless you can get within arm's reach or use it for throwing (which is debatable useful against a wind user) its use will be largely defensive - you can use the strength boost to resist getting buffeted by strong winds and to move faster. Let's leave its secondary gadgetless (for now).

Pitch Prefect w/Blink Capacitor - We all know and love the Prefect, and since you want poking capacity I can think of nothing more likely to take Mnemosyne off-guard than a weapon that will resist her winds - one that would normally be trivial for someone with her powers to deal with. Make your pitch intangible and unaffectable before it hits! Or as the other Syke said - remove the travel time. If she gets covered in the sticky stuff she'll also have a hard time putting wind portals on her own body, which might be a trick she pulls to avoid attacks.

Barrier Generator w/Blade Printer - This one's straight defensive - but could have an offensive mobility aspect. A barrier that is more aerodynamic thanks to the Blade Printer might let you cut through winds and let you move about at speeds Mnemonsyne won't expect - or at least help you avoid the worst of being buffeted around. Plus it'll be handy against the usual 'I'll just shoot her' moves. We are dealing with someone else with guns here.

Beam Unit w/Explosive Discs - Being more energy than mass, the beam unit's attack might cut through winds without getting thrown off course. That said, distance and air density don't go too well together normally with beam weaponry - it tends to attenuate fast. But you might be able to give your laser a bit of extra oomph by tacking on the Explosive Discs destructive nature. Frankly, Amp Rings would probably be better for it, but hopefully it can still make for a good poking tool. It will also have the benefit of being one you haven't shown offensively yet.

I'd say start with a short to mid-range weapon. Which would be less likely to get thrown off course and snag you a hit out of the shotgun or pistols?
>>
No. 1055298 ID: 1015ea
File 167564186079.png - (617.49KB , 1000x1000 , EntryWay.png )
1055298

It's settled. I'll be heading into battle with this loadout:
Beam Unit (Blade Printer): The Beam Unit can now cut through thin cover and other materials, allowing it to penetrate and damage opponents behind it.

I didn't think that the Blade Printer would even WORK like this when plugged into another gadget, but it does. If I'm guessing how it works, it's because the tags represent how I see the gadgets, and when I cram 'em into each other, its like I'm subconsciously realigning them to produce effects I want. In this case, its like I've realigned the laser head so that its focused on cutting through non-material objects. I could still put the hurt on people with it, but it ain't going to have enough sustained output to cut a person's arm off, I think. Kinda like how even though I got through the face, my Parasignia made it so I could get right back up.

Amp Rings.
I considered slotting the Barrier generator in here, but it effectively made it so that the barrier's ONLY active when I'm jumping around or doing heavy lifting. Having the barrier centred on me is nice, but I think reliability is more important right now.
Still, these things are going to be our movement option - I can leap pretty damn far and land without any problem. Lifting's a different topic, since I still need to actually get a grip on something and holding a locker above my head when the charge gives out is a pretty great way to get my head pulped.
Think outside the box with this one - unlike the Blink Capacitor, we can incorporate it into my moveset as more than just an emergency escape tool.

Pitch Prefect (Blink Capacitor, Explosive Discs):
Now THIS is interesting.
Ever since I got the Blink Capacitor, I always got the feeling that it had potential as a sub-slot option, but we were rather reliant on it as a protective measure. With the Amp Rings acting as a new movement option, it doesn't need to be confined to that any more.
I'll cut to the chase, the Pitch Prefect now fires almost-invisible, teleporting explosive tar shots.
This thing's crazy.
Keep in mind, I've only got five shots of this in total, but due to the previous improvements I've made to the tar mix - adding the Explosive Discs in here's probably enough to blast holes in metal now, it's that powerful. If I can nail Mnemosyne with one of these, she's absolutely going to be knocked off balance at minimum. Plus, we don't want to get US caught in the blast either. Make sure it's the right situation when you call on me to use it though, alright?


Barrier Generator.

Having the Barrier Generator on hand's more important than ever. We're not dealing with people with excessive firepower here - we're dealing with one woman with a coupla guns at hand. Not being able to reliably block bullets is going to be a pain.


>I'd say start with a short to mid-range weapon. Which would be less likely to get thrown off course and snag you a hit out of the shotgun or pistols?
My dualies for sure, but they're closer to revolvers than pistols. Been using these babies for far, far longer than the Creirwy. There's a lot you can do with two guns at once if you've got the dexterity for it. Mnemosyne's defensive capabilities can't stop bullets like Astrolysis can either.


> Perhaps we could send air shots by punching from a distance?

What, like... through compressing air pressure into an actual attack? I feel like if I'm throwing a punch that hard, my arms are going to break first and that's part of why Diagram even had to tune the damn things to begin with. At least right now, I don't think any of the current gadgets I've got on hand would let me do anything like that.



With that, I'm ready to go.

-----

Security, huh... never been here much, outside of a couple of impressions. You get to visit every part of Site 70 at least once in your life as a clone, but maybe that's just me.
>>
No. 1055299 ID: 1015ea
File 167564189269.png - (196.99KB , 1000x1000 , MnemoIntroPSD.png )
1055299

There's a sense of ominousness coming from this place - 'Security'. That they'd build Site 70 to account for prisoners of war or something like that. Just the other day, they were talking about intruders into this facility who caused some trouble. People died.
I bet for the old soldiers, they never expected anyone to ACTUALLY attack the base.
...Gotta say, I wonder why though. Site 70's meant to be a secret, isn't it? How the hell's anyone gonna find it in the middle of the damn ocean?
I don't remember it especially clearly, but before the Weave Nexus was built, Security was ACTUALLY closer to the original entrance of Site 70, so it made more sense actually acting as a place for guards to regroup and set out. Now, its kinda just awkwardly in the middle of everything since new facilities got added later - probably because the idea that people would actually invade got less and less likely.

I walk around the barren room. People were supposed to get kitted up further in, in the actual armory. The few times I saw that elevator in motion, whew. What a sight. Thing's bloody huge, looked like it could carry a plane.
But now, when there's basically nobody around any more? Even compared to the other sectors, this place is creepy. It would've been one of the least used places to begin with. I can practically smell the dust covering this place.
>She's probably got powder-based traps everywhere so she can use her wind powers against you.
I'll keep that in mind - for now, we're both in close proximity. Any gas attacks would be harmful to both of us and I'll make sure to hold my breath. It helps that we're both specced to be resistant to poisons already.

Oh, right - and I remember that Judi brought up that Mnemosyne was fond of CQC. Not sure if that has a sword in the mix, but if she tries anything, I'll be ready.

I round a corner and there she is.
Almost odd, seeing her with a helmet on. I'm not sure if I've even seen her in casual clothes.

She holds her rifle like a damn statue.

I raise a hand, but it feels... wrong. We're going to be shooting each other in just a bit.
I stand there for a moment but I get no response.
"Not much to say? Fair enough."
Didn't take her to be a conversational type. Nickel didn't say much either.

"Let's say our vows and get on with it."
>>
No. 1055300 ID: 1015ea
File 167564192775.png - (699.55KB , 1500x1000 , CH4Showdown.png )
1055300

We take our positions, weapons at the ready.
Time to continue a tradition.
Mnemosyne starts first to my surprise.
"They call me Mnemosyne. Under the eye of Elyse Alois, all shall know that my resolve remains unbroken."


I grip my guns tighter.
"I'm Argine. Like Urza who came before me, I will fight for victory, mine alone.

I aim.
>>
No. 1055301 ID: 1015ea
File 167564229036.png - (843.66KB , 1000x1000 , slidinout.png )
1055301

A crack rings out through Security.
I fire, right as smoke billows out around me.


What?
I hop backwards, out of the plumes of smoke billowing around me. Even with four nostrils, the scent of smoke just CLINGS to you and I hate it.
When your opponent has wind powers, you BET they have an advantage when there's smoke all around you.
A quick check and no part of me's injured yet. Makes sense. Explosives or flammables are a bad idea at close range - and I made sure to hold my breath in case there were toxins.

The grey plumes slowly rise to the ceiling, a hollow shape in the smoke where I used to be.
I duck behind one of the pillars - at least your mapping software's going to make finding her simple.
>>
No. 1055302 ID: 1015ea
File 167564238488.png - (119.02KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMap01.png )
1055302

...Shit. She accounted for you.

I don't know what she's doing, but our map's being jammed.
If I'm hazarding a guess, it's like how Diagram only has a limited signal of connection to us. Whatever it is, we've only got a limited range, AND what I can actually see to work with.
What a pain.

I've still got my training with Nickel in mind and this time, I won't screw up.
Dead Silence means I'll be able to get around with a much less likely chance of being detected, so we can opt for a safer route.

Break and Blood Circle remain as options, viable ones even. Mnemosyne isn't much physically stronger than I am - and unless she's got some Asliann genes hidden away in her, I doubt she's that much stronger than what I can do. If she tries to grapple me after an attempt at placing wind portals on me, she'll be in a rough spot, that's for sure.


Give me options - she's still nearby, presumably repositioning. Aiming through that cloud of smoke's going to be worthless, whether its a gadget or a gun. Giving her my position sounds like a bad idea.

A few come to mind - ranged engagements and close-range engagements.

Part of me likes the idea of being the bigger one in charge for once - if I grapple Mnemosyne, I could potentially end things much, much earlier than an extended firefight. In addition, I've made preventative measures against her main strength in close quarters, while having training from someone specialized in dealing with close-ranged encounters. Having a sword and bullet-deflecting gauntlets on me is a big plus because outside of a knife, she's unlikely to be hiding a longsword in here. If we were running the Blink Capacitor as a primary, we would probably be able to use it as a one-way ticket in, risky as it sounds. An Echoscribe card would work just as well here, but not having line of sight on Mnemosyne means I can't really blink to her position - the map shown there's more of an abstraction than a 1:1.

A ranged engagement keeps me out of the way of potential traps and it does play to my strengths and kit better - but you could say the same for Mnemosyne.
Hard Cover at least lets me make the most of my environment so getting hit by potshots isn't going to happen. Protracted gunfights would work better in my favor, but who's to say that Mnemosyne doesn't do something else? I have access to all three of my actual guns because of how I've made improvements to my gals, so Dualies, Shotgun and Sniper Rifle are all tools at the ready.

What do you think?
>>
No. 1055303 ID: 1015ea
Audio Mnemosyne_Battle_The_13th_Dilemma_-_Kingdom_Hearts.mp3 - (4.97MB )
1055303


Vs. Mnemosyne Theme
Title: The 13th Dilemma (Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSk9ivzHbk&t=185s

>>
No. 1055340 ID: 30b9f6

>helmet
Ah yes, the coward's way of not dying. Ponder getting one.

>Smoke, external interference, advice
Any way we can trigger local air conditioning to clear away the smoke? Not sure what access we have here. We can open doors for you, why not discreetly pop on some units? Guess the current interference might stymie. Likely Mnemosyne put up a jammer somewhere. We can move past this area, try to find and disable it, or just deal.

Keep an eye out for eyes of her own - cameras, drones, whatever. She didn't do this to blind herself - though if it's a multipurpose jammer, it can't be wireless. Could she be using smaller air portal openings to try to detect you? Would be something to be wary of. Either as sensors or even as 'trip mines' where if you cross their path she just notices the disruption in air flow and puts them on full blast to stagger and distract you.

Also remember to look up. She IS a flier. Any guns firing might also not actually be at her actual location - since she can trigger those with her winds. Blind firing our best shots into smoke isn't going to be the way to go here.

>What to do - main stealth
Use Dead Silence to move further into the room and - if it can be done without giving you away - pop your Barrier to avoid getting sniped from the smoke. If you're shot at, seek cover as best able. Flip tables or hide tactically by the corners of bulkier stuff. Don't let her bring down your barrier yet. Blind any spotted recording devices, and keep your own senses on a swivel. We do need more intel here - or a good opportunity to deploy a Frozeneye for maximal efficiency.

>Side stealth
If you want to be a sneaky sneak, you could try to eschew the barrier and double back to pop behind one of the big shelves at the side of the room. Though if I were Mnemosyne I'd trap tight, cover-providing spaces like that somehow - a pre-prepped wind portal, a gun setup ready to fire, something such.
>>
No. 1055347 ID: 5560d0

Whatever you do, don't lose her. If you do you'll be wandering blindly in the smoke while she's probably prepared some way of locating and taking you down from afar. You're prepared fairly well to engage her at close range so maybe it's time to capitalise on that.

Use Dead Silence and try to close in on her position stealthily. If you can see her then maybe feint a sneak attack and use it as an opportunity to gauge her perception. If she somehow still manages to detect you even when you're in stealth and hidden in smoke then it could spell trouble.

>Helmet
Equipment that helps one not get shot through the head? What revolutionary technology!
>>
No. 1055348 ID: e5709d

She's going to be extra observant. We play this with psychological warfare, turn her focused perception against her.

Start by carving a message into the side of a wall. Something along the lines of "Could your resolve stop a bullet?" and "Why did you do it? Why are you doing this? Why?" Once you've riled her up, stick to cover and wait for her to spend a turn calming down - at which point you unleash your tar explosion power.

The moment you get hit, cover the blood on your upper-right shoulder.

For now, start by using your Amp Rings to grab the table and hurl it at Mnemosyne. She'll need to dodge, redirect the table with wind, or use a gadget. Get a feel for her go-to defenses.
>>
No. 1055398 ID: 629f2e

>>1055340

Pretty much just gonna support this rn.
>>
No. 1055669 ID: ccbbb0

She is next to the table to your right.

Employ Dead Silence to approach.

Flip the table to use as Hard Cover.

Sieze the moment and deliver repeated point blank Shotgun blasts to target.

We are not losing this one.
>>
No. 1055692 ID: 503f78

Despite the map jamming she's so close that you can still get a position on her on our limited tactical map. Feels like you should toss an explosive around the corner and then immediately attempt to press advantage with melee strikes.

Melee I'm not sure here, keeping her at longsword range gives her the opportunity to fire her gun in close quarters. The reach difference can't be taken advantage of unless you can disarm her of her gun with it. A knife would actually be more advantageous in a melee fight against this level of opponent.
>>
No. 1055746 ID: 1015ea
File 167611683731.png - (850.53KB , 1000x1000 , shielding.png )
1055746

>Helmets, Ah yes, the coward's way of not dying. Ponder getting one.
...Mmm, I'll consider it. If you get to design me another new outfit, throw a helmet on there, see how it plays out.


>Can we activate some fans using our hacking ability?
I think we could, problem is that this kind of thing wouldn't be in security! Fans are automatic, so the ventilation will eventually clear the smoke up. Not fast enough for us though.

>Toss an explosive, then follow up with melee strikes.
Can't do that - only explosives I've got are crammed into the Pitch Prefect, and we've only got five shots of that. I'm not going to fire blindly and miss when it's going to be one of our tickets to victory here.
But keeping her in the ring of visibility we've got...
That sounds like a plan.

>Use Dead Silence to move further into the room and - if it can be done without giving you away - pop your Barrier to avoid getting sniped from the smoke.
Well, I'd be able to ACTIVATE the barrier silently - but the whole 'glowing wall of hardlight' thing's a lot more conspicuous than the clicking of a switch. Unless...
I could run it at half capacity. Yeah. That works.

Our styles differ from each other, even if we're both adaptable types - so I should capitalize off of my strengths.

Mnemosyne's weaker at close ranges, so the best option is forward.


I press through the smoke, back where I came from. Running the barrier at half-capacity... pretty much nobody ever does that - but now, it's smaller and most importantly, less visible.

Gunfire rings out anyway, and I switch the shield onto full blast, shielding me from any of the damage.
Though there's tables around me, they're not going to protect me like one of these lockers can.
>>
No. 1055747 ID: 1015ea
File 167611686194.png - (688.76KB , 1000x1000 , WallTime.png )
1055747

I sprint, the barrier generator dissipating as I focus on running - spotting a locker past the smoke.

I slide behind the construct, gunfire clattering into metal. I'm safe for now, whatever gun she's using doesn't have enough firepower to chew through my cover. Doesn't stop her tossing a 'nade my way if I linger though.

Even under the gunfire, I can still hear the clattering of her armor and equipment as she runs.
Figures - she knows I've got something that can keep track of her, so she's dropping all pretences.
>>
No. 1055748 ID: 1015ea
File 167611687938.png - (109.20KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMap02.png )
1055748

I made it through - pushing forward was the right move.
If I had fallen back, that would allow Mnemosyne to gain momentum against me. If she can't get far enough away to setup, we've got an advantage.


She's still running - unlike Nickel though, the moment I catch her, it's going to be easier to lay into her with my weapons.

Judging from her position, whatever's firing at me has to be one of her wind-levitated guns. That means it's not going to be able to reload, not without her watching over it.
When it runs out, I've got free movement. I'd like to catch her off-guard, so the first thing that comes to mind is jumping OVER the lockers between us using the Amp Rings to cut off her escape route.
Another option's using a Frozeneye and rushing her even faster, try to snag her with a Pitch shot. But since I've still got limited visibility, I don't know what's on the other side of the divider right now.

What say you?
>>
No. 1055753 ID: 15c72a

She immediately spotted you despite stealth? Hmm. I bet she can sense you disturbing the air/smoke. Probably at a limited range though, like our map. Regardless, that means stealth is useless..

Is it possible for you to knock the lockers over? Can you teleport one of those bombs inside the locker she's behind? She won't be able to see it coming, and if you're lucky it will fully expose her position so you can take a good shot at her afterwards. On the other hand, if it's a particularly sturdy locker it might contain the explosion and waste the charge.

I'm partial to jumping on top of the locker rather than fully over it. You won't be charging directly into unknown territory and you'll have an escape route if she's got a trap back there.
>>
No. 1055809 ID: 15a025

Jumping on the lockers might be a good test here. If she's on the move, she might not be watching her windgun, so it might just be aiming at our last known location.

If it continues to aim at us on top of the locker, that either tells what kind of control she has with that power, or she's still close by.
>>
No. 1055857 ID: 9a2966

We've verified she's got some way to keep track of you despite the smoke then. Watch out for getting shot - leaping on top of the shelves might make you a target from multiple vantage points - assuming she can have more than one wind gun at a time, that is.

Tempting to just knock the shelving over with an explosion, but that may not be a good spend I think, plus it might give her data on how you used it and you should still want that to be your trump surprise. Given that you want to cross the area to get to her, you may not want to cover it in flaming pitch. At least not in a way that'll risk getting any of it on you!

Are these the kind of shelves you could topple with your amp rings from above (rocking them, leaping into them with force, lifting using leverage, whatever) and then ride them down? She might use a wind burst to protect herself and blast the shelves right back at you, mind, so you'd have to be ready to dodge, tuck and roll to avoid having your plan backfiring.
>>
No. 1055872 ID: e5709d

If we were working for her, I'd have her deploy some trap cyclones on her closest cover, and then prepare and aim a debuff gadget. We need to overcome that scenario while making leeway for other strategies.

Use your Amp Ring to bash the full cover over. From half-cover, blindfire your tar in an arc, then charge in with suppressing fire.

Also, I just wanted you to know that Armin was the name of a famous sociopath who outsmarted an entire planet and accidentally ushered in the apocalypse because he mindlessly worshipped an angry maniac until it was too late. And red ear dye is for Val'Sarghess rank-and-file thugs. Mnemosyne may be reading our CAI, time to troll the hell out of her.
>>
No. 1056114 ID: 96112b

Now is the time to press the advantage a bit further.

Use Barrier Generator to block the incoming fire from the guns, then use the Pitch Prefect teleport an Explosive Disc into Mnemosyne's path. Proceed to fire with your Dual Guns.

Let's do this.
>>
No. 1056601 ID: 1015ea
File 167693573902.png - (678.73KB , 1000x1000 , bigjump.png )
1056601

>Knock the shelving over using the Amp Rings or an explosion.
I'm not going to have enough leverage to push these lockers over from the ground - even if I've got more strength, they're lined up against another set of lockers on the other end. But toppling them from above.... now that's an option.

>Can you teleport a bomb into one of the lockers she's hiding behind?
Not a bad idea, but I do need line of sight and the lockers are two sets, so the ones on her end aren't the ones I can reach even with teleporting explosives.


>She immediately spotted you through stealth? She could probably sense you disturbing the smoke.
Good observation, don't think she has omnipotence or anything though. It's just like with Nickel, she could probably set up a few weapons to automatically activate without her present.
She knows I'm there, but I don't think she has fine enough control to detect where I am precisely. That being said, I don't know if she's somehow using her portals like an air tripwire.
Doesn't mean stealth is useless though - just because I got spotted once doesn't mean I should just stand out in the open and get shot.


I think the best move for me here is to leap up with the Amp Rings - but, when I'm on top, I've got a bit of an idea to pus this thing over.

As such, I manifest the rings around my ankles and I prepare to jump.
Boom.

There's a strange feeling about it, jumping up like this. It reminds me of the explosive jump I pulled off in Nickel's fight - but this time, it's all me.
>>
No. 1056602 ID: 1015ea
File 167693575862.png - (658.21KB , 1000x1000 , leverage.png )
1056602

I can feel the recoil of my landing get absorbed by the Amp Rings.

Now to enact the plan.
These things are only going to be active for a little longer, but while I'm at it, I use Plug as leverage, combined with the Amp Rings to push one of the lockers over, re-manifesting the rings around my arms instead.
A sword can make for a half-decent crowbar depending on the circumstance, but I'm straining myself to get the locker apart.
I swear, it feels like I'm practically bending this sword, but when I can reform and fix it instantly, I'm not going to feel bad for Astrolysis' craftsmanship.

And just before the charge on the Amp Rings give out, finally, the balance is tipped on the locker and it starts falling as if it was in slow motion.
>>
No. 1056603 ID: 1015ea
File 167693578982.png - (966.18KB , 1000x1000 , hangten.png )
1056603

Dust, smoke and crashing metal.
Heh. Hope the higher ups don't mind the cracks in the floor now, because there's no way that's going to be easy to fix.

I drop back down onto the other side of the locker I was standing on as bullets hiss past me. Guess it was too much to expect to get her down with a more simple and straightforward move - but if she's got any traps on this side of the locker, they're gone now.
Still, with this move she's still on the back-foot.
>>
No. 1056604 ID: 1015ea
File 167693584594.png - (137.13KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMap03.png )
1056604

This whole time I haven't even been able to get a clean look at Mnemosyne yet - she's playing keepaway. I doubt she was hurt at all by that play, but brewing chaos... it ain't a bad feeling.
Going with this route; I'm sure some of her prepared traps have been rendered null because of it.

I'm fine with being patient, but we can't let her get a breather and recover - the question is if closing the gap is the best solution here.


The Amp Rings are temporarily on cooldown, but they should be ready again fairly soon.
>[SAI TIME ESTIMATE: AFTER THE NEXT ACTION CONCLUDES]

Barrier Generator's not up yet either, but it should be ready again soon too.
>[SAI TIME ESTIMATE: AFTER THE NEXT ACTION CONCLUDES]


I've still got plenty of options on me, but I want to keep pushing. Question is, how? Both my movement gadget and shield gadget are down, so I'm at more risk of getting hurt. That being said, I could drop down, kick over one of the remaining tables or even use it as mobile cover as I close the distance even further. Hard Cover lets me get the most out of it, so it's not impossible.
>>
No. 1056606 ID: 15c72a

You could try hitting her with a laser while your defensive gadgets cool down. She's probably behind cover at the moment, but with the setup we have on the laser cover won't help her much.
>>
No. 1056616 ID: 12b116

Can we try to flank her around the other side of the lockers?
>>
No. 1056665 ID: 503f78

...

wait... this is stupid.

You want to keep charging forward into a series of ambushes she set up for you?

Surely there's a loop around option that'll knock a series of ambushes down to one. You're smarter than just chasing after an opponent who had time to prepare.

Did we get a scan of the arena before the chaff went up? First and foremost, if I was setting up a series of traps I'd want to have a destination that gives me a big positional advantage. Somewhere in here is her killbox. If you get to it before she does, you win.

For now, use hard cover to press up, but don't expose yourself. We need to keep her running her plan for now but our goal should be to get past her and take up the position she was trying to lure you to before she can.
>>
No. 1056706 ID: 1371b2

You can throw Sound and Fury out and recall them right?
…Dumb thought but we could use tossing those to misdirect her into thinking we threw a Gernade and shoot her when she repositions, if we get that guessing game right.
>>
No. 1056723 ID: 9a2966

You know of one place where there are few traps and plenty of cover for your pursuit of her.

>Plan: get down and after
Can you scamper down there without getting shot or taking fall damage without the amp rings? If she's doing the thing I think she's doing, you'll want to leap over the next set of shelves as well to cut her off, once your Amp Rings have recharged.

She's essentially zig-zagging you through these rows of shelves where she's laid down a bunch of traps and obstacle courses to slow you down. Probably she was hoping that you would be hindered or made careful of stumbling into more traps and ambushes, letting her have that lead she apparently wants.

She might expect you on the next set of shelves - but she can't exactly stop you from leaping them without getting involved with her wind powers herself (or having an emplaced trap there, in which case we've been successfully anticipated) - which is a good opportunity to pull out one of your aces, when or if she reveals herself.

For now, you can focus on pursuing, maximizing your cover and minimizing your presence to make her less able to predict and take potshots at you. Get her in your sights before you waste one of your cards - literally or metaphorically.
>>
No. 1056729 ID: 629f2e

I agree with the idea a couple other people suggested of flanking her. Her plans are already not playing out the way she might want 'em to, so now we just need to continue to intercept her.

This WILL put us at risk, even with use of cover, so we'll want to take some precautions. Why not use an Echoscribe card to copy the Blink Capacitor to help position yourself? If you can land outside of the smoke, she may not have a clue where you are afterwards.
>>
No. 1056971 ID: 15a025

Another vote in favor of flanking her.
>>
No. 1057212 ID: 1015ea
File 167775000811.png - (651.85KB , 1000x1000 , ArgineSchut.png )
1057212

>She's essentially zig-zagging you through these rows of shelves where she's laid down a bunch of traps and obstacle courses to slow you down. Probably she was hoping that you would be hindered or made careful of stumbling into more traps and ambushes, letting her have that lead she apparently wants.

I get the feeling she's underestimating me.
Time to prove her wrong.


>Surely there's a loop around option that'll knock a series of ambushes down to one. You're smarter than just chasing after an opponent who had time to prepare.
>Her plans are already not playing out the way she might want 'em to, so now we just need to continue to intercept her.
Good way to put it, Sykes.

Playing into her plans, charging into everything laid out in front of me - that ain't better than me just following orders.
Instead...

>Why not use an Echoscribe card to copy the Blink Capacitor?
'Bout time we made use of one of these again.


One Echoscribe card has been consumed. Three remain.
Mnemosyne's someone who's adaptable - but even if you're adaptable, you have to keep track of new information.
'Sudden teleportation'... now how's anyone supposed to predict that?
I know I couldn't.

The gray cube between my fingers - it's going to be my first strike against someone who really represents what Site 70 is about.
It whirs and hums - and once again, I feel that sensation.

I warp from my position on the lockers, cutting off Mnemosyne's route.
More importantly - I have a clear shot right as she emerges from the smoke.

My guns are at the ready. I pull their triggers.
>>
No. 1057213 ID: 1015ea
File 167775002529.png - (419.50KB , 1000x1000 , Mnemoshot.png )
1057213

The first shot goes wide by a thin fraction.
But that's why I've got TWO revolvers.
A direct hit.

Armour. Penetrated.
>>
No. 1057214 ID: 1015ea
File 167775004147.png - (710.04KB , 1000x1000 , rungalrun.png )
1057214

Even right after taking a direct shot to the shoulder, I can see her right herself, taking up her gun again. This ain't like the icicle I took in the shoulder from Judi - she's gotta have broken bones or joints in there, right?
I'm getting the hell out of here.

I dive down and roll to cover, a burst of lead heading back toward me as I skirt out of the way.
Hah! My first proper exchange with one of the best soldiers in Site 70 - and I'm unscathed!

...Easy enough for me to say, but - I'm NOT going to let what happened in my fight with Nickel happen again.
I can't look like a weakling in front of all of you, not again.
>>
No. 1057215 ID: 1015ea
File 167775005768.png - (120.31KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMap04.png )
1057215

We may not have a map of the area from before the fight started, but I've got two workin' eyes over here.
We're nearly to the end of this current area and with that exchange just now, I've at least proven myself a threat.
Mnemoyne's aim is going to be worse due to her injury. Judging from her grit, I doubt it's all that much.
We can expect her to pull out the big guns now, but there's a solid chance she'll be retreating further into the Sector as well - toward whatever killbox she may be trying to lure me into.

That's the thing about these Sector Bosses - if they've got a whole Sector to work with, they absolutely want to capitalize off of it.
But it's on me to defeat them, to prove that I've got the chops.
The only thing I can do is follow - but if I'm going to make it as much of a pain for them to retreat as possible, all the better.
>>
No. 1057230 ID: e5709d

Time to play her strength against itself.
She has more skill in combining gadgets and more creativity in applying them, but she has to spend time maintaining those.
You caught her off guard. She's letting her imagination run wild about what you'll do next. This is an opportune time to push her into overestimating your capabilities (that is, overestimating what you're willing to sacrifice) and waste time constructing contingencies on the fly that can be countered with brute force.

Plan: Make it look like you've summoned a turret or a clone. She'll spend far too much to keep herself from getting flanked, and then you hunt for the perfect angle to push through her defenses.
>>
No. 1057237 ID: 9a2966

Well done. Hm. Shoulder hit. Wonder if that'll affect her mood. That's how Armintell died, after all.

Let's consider our options. She's back in the smoke - and quickly, judging by the map, so she might've used a movement option of her own. We also know that the aisle's traps are disabled, making the risk of rushing down it less. Though you should beware wind portals, she could still place those.

>Amp Ring+Hard Cover - NOW we charge in blindly
You could do what she may have initially expected - rush in at (Amp Ring-enhanced) speed, utilizing Hard Cover to get in close and try to tag her with the Beam Unit. That'll ignore her own cover and armor, to score another wounding hit - idea: can you tag her where she might have gadgets and let the beam unit tear those apart? She doesn't keep all her stuff inside an Ignition Complex, after all.

>Amp Ring+Dead Silence - the sneaky high ground
Alternatively you could hop up on the lockers again to use the proven strategy of using the trap-free highway. Here you'd likely stay at a better range to make her poorer aim affect shots. If she even notices you're already back up there, if you use Dead Silence to scale/jump as quietly as possible. Mind you, we still haven't figured out how she kept track of you initially, so speed is probably more important than stealth.

Her wind-guns might still be steady though, so keep low up there if you go that route - she knows you've utilized the locker tops to great effect before, and might position assets to cover them better.
>>
No. 1057448 ID: 15a025

>>1057237
I like the idea of getting some sneaky high ground. We might even get an opportunity to ambush her with the pitch perfect to further slow her down.
>>
No. 1057458 ID: 50363a

>>1057448
Agreed!
>>
No. 1057459 ID: 15c72a

I don't think the amp rings are recharged yet.
Alternative would be to shove a table against the lockers to get a better path up, but I dunno if we can do that; there are likely traps in the next part of the room so we can't just grab a table unmolested. We'd have to use one as cover while moving another.

Personally I'd rather try going in and tripping some traps to see where they are, while we have the advantage. We have to get through this room eventually anyway. Doing it while the main enemy is reeling is a good idea, and using a single table for cover along with the Shield is likely to work.
>>
No. 1058380 ID: 1015ea
File 167867148949.png - (35.36KB , 1000x1000 , runninggine.png )
1058380

>Head back on top of the lockers and approach her again!
>It's a trap-free route.

That's right - if anything, you wouldn't be accounting for people being able to reach and run along things that high up.
She could be baiting me back into another trap on the ground, so this is the route to take.

The Amp Rings are recharged and ready, so hopping up there's no problem at all.
I can feel the adrenaline rush - I've already landed one good hit, so I need to capitalize off of this advantage.

Zipping up onto the top of the lockers with another empowered jump, I start running, my guns at the ready.


>Speed's probably more important than stealth here.
Given that she's seen me tip over one of the lockers before, she already knows that it's a possibility. But if I'm fast enough...
>>
No. 1058381 ID: 1015ea
File 167867151451.png - (467.08KB , 1000x1000 , velocityjavelin.png )
1058381

I try to make out Mnemosyne's position - and there she is.
There's a harsh glow - is that a gadget?
That's not a problem - I can dodge it - but if I can line up my shot right...
>>
No. 1058382 ID: 1015ea
File 167867153950.png - (256.76KB , 1000x1000 , rgshot.png )
1058382

I fire - but the shots go wide.
Shit! I disengage my guns and try to go for an evasive maneuver.
She throws - and the projectile streaks through the air like a lightning bolt.

I move to dodge and-


Hhhhgrk!
How?
It curved?

I'm getting the hell out of here!
>>
No. 1058383 ID: 1015ea
File 167867156449.png - (419.33KB , 1000x1000 , RGpained.png )
1058383

Taking cover first.
Bloody hell...
That really stings!

Okay okay, should have accounted for the fact that she had gadget access just like me. This is just like the damn fight against Judi - it's easy to keep track of opponents with smaller sets of equipment, but I didn't even realise that she still had one of those!
It's a Velocity Javelin - those things work a bit differently to the Amp Rings, in that it's an absolute crapton of acceleration. Honestly, the thing's basically designed to throw rocks at ridiculous speeds, turning them into great projectiles.
Not so good for keeping anything else intact, but -
She's curving the javelin.
Is she putting a wind portal on the side of her projectile? That's one way to do it.
Means she doesn't have to aim as good if she can just redirect those damn things into me.
>>
No. 1058384 ID: 1015ea
File 167867159008.png - (105.02KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMap05.png )
1058384

Mnemosyne's off-radar and judging from her movements, she's already moving further in.
I've got no choice but to follow her, and I'll bet she's going to try to bandage herself up if I give her that opportunity.
Rushing in's no longer quite on the table, given that she knows that's going to be my main option. But surprising her... that's still an option.


I'm a little wounded, but I'm still going along fine. It took a chunk out of my side, but it didn't hit anything vital yet. Good thing my constitution's helping clear up some of the pain.

We're going to have to pursue her, but take adequate measures so I'm not going to eat another one of those blasts.
From what I remember of it, the Velocity Javelin's a rechargeable gadget just like the Beam Unit or my Barrier, so we have to watch out for it. It's powerful, but it leaves her pretty damn open.

So what's the move now? I can still keep going - and giving her more time to set up or adjust her traps for my current kit's not too good of an idea. There's only one entrance into the next area - but we should think about how we get through it.

The Amp Rings are temporarily on cooldown, but they should be ready again fairly soon.
>[SAI TIME ESTIMATE: AFTER THE NEXT ACTION CONCLUDES]
>>
No. 1058425 ID: e5709d

Start off by blindfiring your beam projector. Sweep the room for any turrets with thin layers of armor. Then dodge roll into the next set of cover.
>>
No. 1058428 ID: 273c18

Just go in that narrow space. She wasn't going to lure you in there to begin with so it's trap-free, and she's probably relocating to the next room so I doubt she'll try to ambush you at the end. You can just have your shield up anyway.
>>
No. 1058723 ID: f69af6

Let us approah the entrance to the next area. No rushing in, however. Take a sharp look for traps. keep your head down to avoid enemy fire, or enemy floating guns. Update the map accordingly.
We will plan the next step of the counter-offensive when we have the first few metres of the next area laid out on the map.
>>
No. 1058991 ID: 15a025

So now we know a little more about her load out. She can use her wind powers to improve her aim and correct bad shots.
I wonder if we use the silkweave gauntlets with the amp rings, if it could create enough force to protect yourself from another one of those shots. I don't have high hopes, but it might be something to keep in mind as a last ditch plan.

For now, scout out the hallway. She might either have another gun ready to fire away at you, or some other kind of turret trap.
>>
No. 1059133 ID: 1371b2

Hrrrm.
Odd thought: how easy is it to recognize if that smoke she’s been setting up is being effected by the wind versus natural circulation?
A second thought is doing something shock-waves like you’re jumping at her again only it was just you punching the floor to make said shockwave and get her to whiff.
Not viable if she ditches the low visibility but otherwise…Might throw her off.
>>
No. 1059296 ID: 1015ea
File 167948298872.png - (747.23KB , 1000x1000 , throughthehallway.png )
1059296

>She wasn't trying to lure you in there so it's not trapped.
Good point, and it would be harder for her to escape if I was hot on her heels AND she had to avoid traps on the way through.

Running up through the area, I clear out from the first room and into the connecting hallway. It's bright - and more importantly, there's nothing blocking the way.

>I wonder if we use the Silkweave gauntlets with the amp rings, if it could create enough force to protect yourself from another one of those shots.
Given that the things create a kinetic barrier - I wonder if it's enough, or even stronger than the Barrier Generator's shield. By the looks of it, the Velocity Javelin would go through a Barrier Generator shield with no problem, especially since it's unmodified.

>Odd thought: how easy is it to recognize if that smoke she’s been setting up is being effected by the wind versus natural circulation?
Probably not easy if she's trying to keep it subtle. But we're long since out of the smoke now. Probably best to worry if she drops another smokebomb.


>Approach the entrance to the next area - no rushing in, though.
I slide to a stop near the entrance - and in the distance, I can see the giant cargo elevator that's used to shift ammunition and military gear.
>>
No. 1059297 ID: 1015ea
File 167948300549.png - (83.91KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapTwo01.png )
1059297

Pulling up the map, even with the reduced range...
I'm glad I didn't rush through. Scan's picking up two weapons floating by the exit-way.
Odds are they're pointed right at the centre.
This is a bit tricky - I could spend a card or one of the Pitch Prefect's rounds to deal with it, but there's also no guarantee that she doesn't have more prepared on the other side, especially since I don't have a good sense of the area's geometry.

Similarly, I could use the Silkweave Gauntlets to protect me from the gunfire, but blocking gunfire from two different angles when I don't know WHAT guns she has set up... that's tricky.

I don't know where Mnemosyne is relative to me, either. I think that's a stairwell to my right, but I don't know if Mnemosyne's taking the elevator or the stairs down. We'd want to catch her so that there isn't more room for her to gain distance from us.

Besides dealing with the hanging guns, we're going to need to think of a way to catch up to her, regardless of which route she takes.
>>
No. 1059299 ID: 1371b2

Hrmm…
You’re a good enough shot with Sound and Fury to hit both guns right?
I’m thinking shoot the guns to knock them off from aiming at you, pop the barrier generator and then move forward, quickly if you can manage that without getting shot.
A part of me wonders at the notion of like dodging via rolling past the guns instead, but that’s me being silly.
>>
No. 1059339 ID: 629f2e

Use a Pitch Prefect shot! We aren't close to running out yet, and if we do then we have 3 Breezecycle cards that we could refill it with.

Once that's taken care of, I see some medium cover beside the gun on the right that you could hide behind while surveying the area, but without knowing what direction she went, you can't use the cover adequately.

The Barrier Generator is the smart option, but how open are you to blind-firing the beam into the room?
>>
No. 1059344 ID: 273c18

Yeah just use a Pitch prefect. It's a renewable resource unlike the cards, and I don't think we have a clever solution here. MAYBE you could pierce through the edge of the corner with your laser to destroy one, so you can block the other one with your gauntlets? Of course, you need to know exactly where it is, which would probably require peeking around the corner with your shield up.
>>
No. 1059508 ID: 15a025

Bust out the sound and fury and put those sharp shooter skills to the test. Blast'em away and activate the barrier if things get a little too heated.
>>
No. 1059610 ID: 1015ea
File 167991137902.png - (425.89KB , 1000x1000 , WristRocket.png )
1059610

>Use the Pitch Prefect, we've got plenty to spare.

Aye aye!
Using the Pitch Prefect, a quick shot flies out - completely invisible.
Boom.
Mm. I can already smell the burning tar from here. Not exactly stealthy, but the clattering of gunparts to the ground's made it more clear that I'm good to go.

Down to four shots. Still plenty for Mnemosyne.
Rushing through the smoke, I emerge out into the elevator room.
>>
No. 1059611 ID: 1015ea
File 167991140891.png - (467.85KB , 1000x1000 , bigelevatorflipped.png )
1059611

The creaking of machinery...
The damn thing's so loud it's shaking the floor!

She just started it up, and I can see the cargo elevator sink further down as it goes.
That thing's used to transport munitions to the lower floor, but I don't see any sign of Mnemosyne or her traps so far.
She could be hiding behind or near one of the boxes, but that thing's descending fast - it's going to be out of scanner range real quick.
Place is real bloody open, but I can't afford to just stick around.
>>
No. 1059612 ID: 1015ea
File 167991142249.png - (123.43KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapTwo02.png )
1059612

Gameplan update, then.
It's still safe to jump onto the elevator, but the big question is if I want to.
Stairwell's to my right, and that thing's going down for a bit. I could jump down, but I'm not sure the Amp Rings or the Barrier's going to cushion a fall like that enough.
But I've got a few options for dealing with Mnemosyne.

1. I jump down there, engage her at a closer range. Problem is that we don't know if she's even ON the elevator, let alone unprepared.

2. I fire on her from above, using whatever I've got. Main issue with this one's that I don't know where she's at, so this could just waste time.

3. I head down the stairs to meet her on the other end, or to confront her if she's hiding inside of it. If she's on the elevator, she may set stuff up if I try to cross the place. If she's on the stairs, well, I'll be able to catch her offguard if she's not already prepared.


Whatever range limits we've got on the radar right now probably extends vertically, so she could be at the bottom of the staircases for what we know.
If we're going with something, pick one of the plans and suggest how I go about it. None of my gadgets are on cooldown right now, so I should be ready to roll.
>>
No. 1059639 ID: 629f2e

2/3, This is another good opportunity for your Pitch Prefect. The brilliant thing about explosives is that you don't really need to know where your opponent is. Just a general idea might do some damage.

Fire one or two shots at areas on the elevator she might be using as cover, and then go down the stairs to face her. She might not even be on it, but if she is you might secure a decent advantage.
>>
No. 1059647 ID: 273c18

>>1059639
Disagree, we don't even know where she is in general.

>>1059612
1, but jump down near some cover.
>>
No. 1059675 ID: f8083d

3, use the stairs.
>>
No. 1059818 ID: f69af6

Supporting the strategy of the Himitsu splinter.
Remember Mnemosyne might use the landings on each stair to set up traps or use them as cover to set an ambush.

It may also be wise to use the Amp Rings to increase our speed once we make it to the lower floor.
>>
No. 1060324 ID: 1015ea
File 168043560880.png - (369.64KB , 1000x1000 , blowback.png )
1060324

>Fire away with the Pitch Prefect!

Roger.
Firing this thing's become second nature - manifesting it on my wrist through my Parasignia, I give it a strong flick and FIRE.

The near-invisible projectile flies across the room, down toward the cargo containers, before slowing, arcing and flying back toward me, missing and splattering the ceiling.
No good. She's got that area protected with wind currents? It's like they cut off after a certain distance, which is... strange. That's not how wind and air current works, is it? Maybe Parasignia winds can only extend so far or something...
It's hard gauging her limitations, but that's something. More importantly...
I don't know if that's a decoy and she's actually waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, but I'm not wasting more ammunition trying to push past it. Even if I detonated it early, that's going to blow a spray of tar right back at me!

We're down to three shots now.
Not great, but we did figure out some valuable info.
First thing that comes to mind?
Screw this route - if I jump down there now, there's no telling how I'll be obliterated.

I'm going the other route.
The question's if there's a good route through it.
>>
No. 1060325 ID: 1015ea
File 168043562609.png - (727.31KB , 1000x1000 , STAIRWELL.png )
1060325

A quick check on the scan's not giving me anything new. Either she's still on the Elevator, or she's so far down we're unable to see her.
Just how is she jamming us like this?
Ugh, whatever - we've got this to deal with.

I scramble to the edge of the platforms and I stare down. I don't think I've seen a place as deep as this room.

Do any ideas come up as a safe way to get down there fast with our current equipment? I could burn a card to get something we don't have on us.
The Barrier Generator and the Amp Rings alone... probably not.
The first idea that comes to mind is using the Barrier Generator and the Amp Rings at the same time to cushion my fall. That sounds okay enough, but... it leaves me without a good exit plan if the bottom's trapped.
...I also thought about using the Barrier like a parachute, but that's like using a table as one. You got any better suggestions than this? I'm not so sure it's going to be all rosy for us if we just jump down there.
>>
No. 1060337 ID: 1371b2

Okay we’re having to check and scan and we’ve lost momentum.
I figure a slow and steady advance is the thing to do-prepare the barrier to be ready to stop whatever she throws at us and settle in for a slow advance.
I bet she’s got plans to check us if we try charging in again, but a slower approach gives us time to figure out a sage and non-expensive way to proceed.
>>
No. 1060340 ID: e5709d

>>1060324
I don't think she's opening portals to air currents - I think she's manipulating gravity.
Particles that make contact with whatever radioactive bull comes from the portal suddenly and spontaneously decides "gee I should ignore the curvature of space-time in this area and follow the curvature of an alternate universe where there's a big-ass buttload of bullion way over there". If she triggers it by hand contact, that means she can link the core mass of whatever she's throwing to the core mass of her alternate reality, effectively giving her those superhoming accelerating spears.

If you can distort her perception, maybe you can distort her aim.

>How to get down
Have you thought about simply diving straight down and letting your knees break and heal?
...I... may have been playing a video game while you were sleeping. For months in virtual time.

Wait a minute the railing!
You can repurpose it as a giant ladder if you shoot off the edges and use your Amp Rings to bend the rest into shape! This will give you a quick means of retreating to a floor if she opens fire from below.
>>
No. 1060356 ID: 1015ea

(Just a small note, but Breezecycle cards are now hotfixed so that they can change out Argine's entire loadout + refresh all cooldowns. While it's powerful, the card has yet to be used in-quest yet, so I can make this change retroactive. Oh, and a small clarification, the Pitch Prefect (with Blink) still has teleporting shots, but due to the elevator descending past its effective range, the projectile was still blown back by the air/wind currents.)
>>
No. 1060364 ID: dee951

>>1060340

MFW these idiots have someone that can manipulate gravity and make that person a supersoldier and don't use them to solve every terraforming, civilization-building, infrastructure creating, space colonizing, and manufacturing problem EVER. Sigh.
>>
No. 1060365 ID: 629f2e

There is nothing in our current loadout that will adequately deal with this issue. Therefore, I propose we change the loadout! Burn a Breezecycle card, and make some INTERESTING combinations!

Blink Capacitor
-Amp Rings
-Beam Unit

This is my proposal for how we make it down the chasm before us. The Blink Capacitor may only be good for short distance, but if we amplify its effects with the rings, then it'll be ideal for getting us down there without breaking any bones. The Beam Unit gets slotted in then to help account for the cooldown, so that we can more quickly use this to rush in and take down Mnesomyne.

Explosive Discs
-Pitch Prefect
-Blade Printer

Sticky bombs.

Mnesomyne's wind will launch ranged projectiles off course, but if we blink in and stick one of these down, she'll have a hard time getting away from it. Even moreso if we can stick one right onto her. The Blade Printer's replication tag should fix the ammo problem we normally have with these, letting us make as many as we need. We'll be free to use these as much as we need then.

Barrier Generator

Yeah she still has guns. We gotta be ready for those.

All in all, while I don't know that this is the best combination of our tools, it helps us deal with the immediate situation while leaving us equipment to continue fighting.
>>
No. 1060392 ID: 273c18

>>1060365
Beam Unit doesn't increase the distance of blink capacitor THAT much. We'd be better off leaving it out. I'm not sure it would help with the fall at all unless it negates momentum when used.

If we were to shuffle our things around, then making *whatever* allows us to survive that fall without soaking up all of our resulting defense would be good. Also we could consider putting explosives or tar into the beam unit, since it's the one weapon we have completely unaffected by wind.

Sticky bombs sound nice but we'd have to place them directly onto surfaces to avoid the wind issue, which... defeats the purpose of them being sticky, since explosive disks already attach to surfaces. Teleporting disks is the only way we're going to get away with using disks as a main gadget I think.
>>
No. 1061159 ID: 1015ea
File 168121721391.png - (323.64KB , 1000x1000 , TheFall.png )
1061159

>Have you thought about simply diving straight down and letting your knees break and heal?
That's one of the worst ideas I've heard yet! And that's ASSUMING I'm still conscious after being splattered over the bottom floor.

>These people can manipulate gravity! Why haven't they incorporated that into fixing all the damn infrastructure?
From the looks of it, Parasignias only started happening AFTER this place was built.
'Sides, I don't think having one person stand in place lifting people up and down's as effective and simple as an elevator or something. At least for me, Guns Blazing isn't going to be doing more than combining two weapons at a time, so it's really only a tool I have. Whatever Mnemo's got probably isn't going to be useful for industry.

>Teleporting Discs are the only way we can get away with using it as a main gadget.
Yeah, while my past Pitch Prefect shot was blown away by the air, that was AFTER the teleport. If I was at a closer range, then...

>The railing! You can repurpose it as a giant ladder if you shoot off the edges and use your Amp Rings to bend the rest into shape!
Mmm.... too short. I could go and do it to multiple floor's worth of railings, but it's not like I could just have a large pole to slide down. This place is DEEP.


Only one idea left, then.
I spend a Breezecycle card, changing out my current loadout. Two Breezecycle cards remain.
The sensations' odd - calming, even.
If I wasn't so aware that there's a strong chance that I'm gonna get riddled with bullets if I jump down there, it would be relaxing.

And from that onward - it was as easy as using my Parasignia normally.
Like... rearranging boxes in my mind.

I've got a new loadout now.
- Blink Capacitor [Amp Rings, Beam Unit]
- Pitch Prefect[Blade Printer, Explosive Discs]
- Barrier Generator

Only three gadgets, but we've got plenty to work with.
Hear me out about putting the Blade Printer into the Pitch Prefect though -
One of the KEY tags that I could feel out for the Blade Printer was aerodynamic.
That means, outside of it's cutting properties - it can also allow projectiles to fly more cleanly. We also need to stop Mnemosyne from affecting surfaces with her ability.
So keeping the Prefect around covers that.

The Barrier Generator needs no explanation.

As for the Capacitor?
In my past fights, I've been using the Blink Capacitor so damn much, it's easily been a good way to get me in and out of places.
But I always noticed a brief 'hang' after using it. Like the world has to remind itself where I am now.
One of the first things that Diagram's explained to me's that I can't teleport through solid matter. So the easy thing is - if I've got more effective range, all I have to do is aim it at the floor.
Losing out on the Beam Unit's a bit irritating, but it's effective range is medium - right where Mnemosyne's at her best too. Her javelins are going to destroy me if I try to contest her too much at that range. So we use it on the Capacitor to keep me alive for longer.

With that - I step to the side of the platform.
And leap.

Falling's... faster this way.
My clothes are billowing around me, though the shorter cut my new jacket has helps.

It's clear though - the Blink Capacitor doesn't preserve momentum, meaning it's safe for me to use to catch my fall.
And I've got it right in my hands.
>>
No. 1061160 ID: 1015ea
File 168121725830.png - (720.94KB , 1000x1000 , repelled.png )
1061160

It's as simple as letting go of the button.
The Barrier Generator manifests in my other hand, my grip tightening.
I warp down, having already rotated myself for an appropriate landing.

I pop the barrier, even before any shots ring out -
The bullets clatter against the wall between me, and I can't help but grin.
She didn't set more than one gun up.

Biggest problem with her floating guns?

They ain't gonna be able to reload.
The spent casings roll around where my barrier stopped 'em.

If I had a guess, she probably wrapped this thing with her wind powers, tossed it down there and let it float just so she had a contingency. If she had more time... well, I'm not so sure I'd have gotten away without being shot again.

But I'm not stopping here - I'm going to catch up before she has any chance of screwing with me further.
No more barrier charge's left for now, but...
I've still got the gauntlets.
>>
No. 1061161 ID: 1015ea
File 168121727527.png - (607.88KB , 1000x1000 , MnemoRunning.png )
1061161

The creaking of the elevator's loud - it's a good thing nobody's been putting a ton of weight on it, outside of the remaining shipments and containers on top.
It's not done moving, but I already spot her - bouncing away like she's completely weightless.
Mm. Wonder how that feels in comparison to me jumping with the Amp Rings, or being assisted by an Explosive Disc.
Her ears are sharp - her head turned my way as I ran into the area, but the only thing she fires towards me's a dirty look.

We're both too far from each other's effective range, but I can close that gap.
So how do we approach? Platform's a straight shot into the ammo dump and supplies room.
I'm not picking up any hostiles nearby, but deeper into the platform's out of range for the scanner.
Plus, the Barrier Generator and Blink Capacitor are both on cooldown, but will also both be ready by the time I'm done with my next move.


Rushing down's been working, but I get the feeling that she's going to adapt to it somehow. But I've got my gauntlets, and she hasn't seen those in action yet.
Is she going to be able to anticipate me blocking her shots with my hands?

I still think that - if I'm able to get close to her, REAL CLOSE - she's going to have the surprise of her life when she tries to blow me away. She can't make those wind blasts without a solid surface. It's much harder to do that to something when someone's running right at you.

Hell... if I'm confident - I could try Guns Blazing.
>>
No. 1061165 ID: 30b9f6

Let's try to hold off on Guns Blazing until we've reduced her mobility more - or gotten her somewhere she's got less odds of pulling off a wild dodge. Good to remember it's there, though. And here's a thought: the current Pitch Prefect's damn near a grenade launcher. Could you merge it with one of your weapons? I know gadgets ain't technically guns, but this one's about as close as it gets. I'm sure you could visualize it.

>how to approach
Hm. Big open area, low on cover - you're going to get something at you. Bullets, javelins, wind-traps or something new. If we charge after, you'd be better off using an Echoscribe-Barrier (against bullets) or Echoscribe-Blink Capacitor (against velocity javelins, floor-wind traps, goodness knows what else) to secure your approach, in addition to maybe pulling the silkweave gauntlets surprise.

Or...

>get the feeling that she's going to adapt to it somehow
What I'd really advice you to do is change tactics so she can't count on you keeping up your reckless act. Melee is also tough given she has an unparalleled movement power that she can use to dodge about - even if you land her in melee, she may not be interested in staying in it, unless she feels she has no choice, in which case...

>We're both too far from each other's effective range, but-
...have you forgotten your H-ED DSTR?

For sure she'll try to jetpack-dodge sniper shots using her fine control of the winds, but if you rough aim and fire in a suppressive scatter-pattern she'll also have a hard time predicting where she ought dodge - other than 'down, outta sight ASAP'. Now, sniper snapfire might not hit vitals - or anything - but winging her again or just making her stop jetpacking around serves your cause in teaching her to slow down. And it sure will give her less room to javelin at at you in this large open space if she's also trying not to get perforated by the most powerful gun in your arsenal.

Finally, if she ends up blowing practically-railgun bullets wide off course with her extreme winds - WHILE using the same to propel herself - that's at least more data you'll have on what exactly her powers are capable of. And you can Echoscribe your way outta the jam.
>>
No. 1061167 ID: 4bb4df

>>1061161

She's probably trained against long-range encounters and we already know she can deflect slower projectiles (and close with devastating effect using her javelins). Using a rifle now might just serve to slow ourselves down and give her more room to maneuver.

Let's keep pace while we can and press her with some cheap fire from the Sound and the Fury (or something else) to keep her off-balance. Clearly Mnemosyne wasn't expecting us to get down here this quickly, so that's to our advantage.
>>
No. 1061170 ID: 273c18

>>1061161
Try a potshot with the rifle to see how it goes.
>>
No. 1061490 ID: 15a025

Keep up the pace, continue with the chance. Get some pot shots in to keep her on her toes.
>>
No. 1061937 ID: 1015ea
File 168221526286.png - (312.92KB , 1000x1000 , partingshot.png )
1061937

>Wait for a more opportune time for Guns Blazing.
Alright, I'll hold on for now.

>Can you merge the current Pitch Prefect with your guns?
Mmm... doesn't seem like it.
It's not that I can't imagine it working, but...
It's like there's a different kind of reason for why my Parasignia doesn't accept it.
Works fine with guns that can be reloaded, and even melee weapons like the Gauntlets or Plug, but - it's like there's a mental block there.
Part of me wants to say it's because there's a lot more circuitry and wiring involved in gadgets than a gun, and so my signia rejects it.
...I'll reflect on this some more when I'm NOT trying to get the upper hand against the best soldier in the facility.

>Have you forgotten the H-ED-DSTR?
>Try a potshot with the rifle.

Can do.

Drawing, firing - it's all quicker when you can teleport your own damn guns into your hands.

If I had one more gun the size of the rifle though? I doubt I could access them as easily. With my gals in the holster - more room for holding onto other guns in the front of my mind.

I let loose a quick shot, the sound of the rifle echoing off of the tall elevator shaft.
A shot through the calf - and she's bleeding. That's a plus.
Like the earlier shot to her shoulder - it's going to soften her up.

Catching her out in the open like this - it's a weakness of hers. She doesn't have any surfaces to create wind portals on, unlike the platform full of cargo. She can't deflect bullets if she doesn't have something to deflect it with.
If I hadn't taken the short route down, I wouldn't have been able to land that; she'd already be in the next room by then.

Despite being wounded - she disappears around the corner in a moment. She's probably using her wind abilities to augment her movement.
>>
No. 1061938 ID: 1015ea
File 168221528987.png - (193.35KB , 1000x1000 , entertheroom.png )
1061938

I round the corner too - and now, we're in the final room of the sector the Ammunition and supply dump.
The room's big - but I can't say I've ever actually been down here. Most of the time, stuff's brought up by other people, and little 'rebels' like me don't get anywhere close to it.
This place - it's divided into a few areas from the looks of it. Feels like they've also constructed a couple of rooms to make categorizing and sorting the equipment easier.

Where the hell did she go though?
I saw a blood trail leading in, but... it just vanishes all of a sudden.
Mnemosyne's probably got a few more tricks up her sleeve.
>>
No. 1061939 ID: 1015ea
File 168221530944.png - (78.90KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree01.png )
1061939

...Huh, scanner's working a bit differently now. Maybe the jammer Mnemosyne was using was higher up? That, and maybe you guys grew a resistance to it or something, since you're a supercomputer of a kind. Maybe both.

So we can at least see what we're doing - but not where she is.

Time to talk strategy.
Roof's... lower than before. Running on top of the shelving's less of an option, unless I want to crack my skull on the ceiling.

We have to find Mnemosyne - then take her down.
And for that matter - we're going to need a path forward. I know she's bleeding, but the trail ended. I could try searching around for clues - or I could pick a path and just run.

It's only stealth for now - the moment we spot each other and lead starts to fly, that's when shit's going down.

She could also try ambushing me at some point, but that's when we'll strike. She'll opt to try and restrain me - and then, my plan'll work.
That being said... if I'm grabbed by Mnemosyne, what's the plan?
Because I can almost guarantee - thanks to the oil coating, she absolutely will get caught off-guard the first time she tries it. Even she hasn't gotten much time to practice against other Parasignia users.
Closing the gap nullifies her mid-range advantage and doesn't give her time to use the Velocity Javelin.
So we'll need a plan for WHAT to do after she fails her grab.

Beside that - what's the plan here for moving through this area? She hasn't gotten much time to set up traps - and like with Nickel's fight, the bulk of her preparation was in the first area. We can opt for some faster options, or opt to sneak around.
>>
No. 1061940 ID: 12b116

If she goes for the grab, either try to empty a pistol into her or manifest the sword and run her through, whichever is faster
>>
No. 1061941 ID: 273c18

>>1061939
>where did she go?
Hmm. Well, the obvious conclusion is she stemmed the bleeding and then went into one of the containers in here, which our radar can't penetrate. What I'm worried about is, what's in the containers? She might have some serious hardware she's about to bring to bear. Like a secret weapon of some sort.
It's also possible she copied your trick and went high. You should try to take a peek up there to see if there's any surprises. Stealth is probably useless considering what she did at the start of the fight, so you should keep moving fast. Head towards the big closed area, straight in, but pause at the edge of the full cover to peek around and make sure you're clear before heading into the open.

If she fails a grab, hit her with an explosive, then Guns Blazing immediately and let her have it. Take advantage of the biggest opening with your biggest burst of damage.
>>
No. 1061945 ID: 15a025

I'm not sure I can where she went, but I'd be very willing to say her goal is going to be getting to the south east corner. Lots of view points for whichever way you come at her. Lots of points to setup some more wind guns as well to cover her. Not mention lots of ways to slip out of it with ample cover.
>>
No. 1061947 ID: 1371b2

…A part of me is terrified she’s going to cut loose soon.
And by loose I mean winds enough for everything in that room becomes shrapnel.
I’m not entirely sure she could do that without shredding herself but…
Between her ownership of a Parasignia and what it means for her durability, and the Hero she swears by… Well. That also feels like something of a misread of her, and extending from that, why she seems to somewhat dislike you. I imagine, she thinks you’re expending effort and energy on things that could be better done elsewhere. Like if you turned Guns Blazing towards working in the Foundry, perhaps? So maybe ‘you are now standing in on the wall of the eye of the storm’ isn’t actually about to happen…
For now, a part of me is wondering if she might have blown away the blood rather than attending to the wound.
As for what do when you get your hands on her?
Ideally, don’t let go and wrestle her into submission via amp rings or gauntlets if either are available.
While ragdolling her would be nothing short of GLORIOUS! I’m pretty sure it’s a good way to let her blast herself into the air, and either out of your grasp or take you along for the ride. Which I think might be novel for you both, but she’s likely to be more used to it then you are, and can slap open a wind tunnel on herself to ensure the trajectory chances unpredictably, at least for you. So wrestling, binding limbs, restrain her from moving…Well, maybe. I dunno if going straight for the killing blow would be easier or harder/riskier.
>>
No. 1062315 ID: 1015ea
File 168277431302.png - (555.72KB , 1000x1000 , facingitdown.png )
1062315

>If she does go for the grab, use one of your pistols or your sword.
Revolvers, mind you - but this sounds good. I'll keep it in mind then, this'll be my chosen approach for now.

>She probably staunched her own bleeding and then went into one of these containers here.
Could she? I didn't see her carrying any bandages on her, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had some tucked away. Last I checked, wind powers aren't gonna be closing wounds any time soon.

>What's in them, anyway?
These are weapon lockers, so... weapons.
Peering through the gaps, I can see the shadowed outlines of guns, ammunition - nothing especially noteworthy, let alone gear that's going to be useful against Mnemosyne.
Not enough in there to be useful, and swinging these things open is going to make a lot of noise.

>…A part of me is terrified she’s going to cut loose soon.
>And by loose I mean winds enough for everything in that room becomes shrapnel.
I get the feeling that Mnemosyne's usually more a 'tactical precision' kinda soldier, but the thought of her going all out like that makes me shiver. Being concussed by a flying locker's going to put anyone down, Parasignia or not.
I'm not sure I've got anything that can deal with her at full throttle - but if she's wanting to prove herself bettter than I, she'd probably want to keep the damage to a minimum. Demonstrate just how much more control and strength she has over me.
...At least, that's a guess of how she'd think. It's hard to tell what's going through her head.

I continue making my way through the dim storage area - and soon enough, I come across one of those covered rooms the scanner picked up.
In front of me's the Ammo Dump - the door's open but... some caution first. I ain't gonna trip any wires here.

Peering in - I can still see some of the boxes of ammunition lying around, unclaimed. Guess they didn't want to move EVERYTHING out, not before me and the others were done with this whole tournament.
I get the feeling that if those boxes catch fire, there's going to be one hell of a blast. Shrapnel everywhere.

Ducking back out, I check the other corner - but through the gloom, I spot nothing. My eyes are good - she's still hiding.
Mnemosyne's likely navigating deeper in to get her bearings and assess her own wounds.
The hit I took from the Velocity Javelin stings, but I'll be fine.
Right now? I've got time to do something.
>>
No. 1062316 ID: 1015ea
File 168277432598.png - (142.52KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree02.png )
1062316

Huh. Guess this thing's also taking in the data I've seen.
Right - so the big ammo dump was actually divided by a wall, but you can go through to the other side via a small snaking path in it. I guess it's to prevent a complete blowout if something does catch alight, or to help stop fire from spreading as easily, but I feel like most ammunition dumps are screwed when something catches alight. This place was put this deep to prevent bombs from setting off a chain reaction.

Not that the ammo inside has much use for me, but...
Here's my proposal: We set up contingency plans for her, then force her into bad positions with aggressive tactics.
There's only a few things I can do quickly, and I don't want to give her more time for her own prep either.

1. We rig up the ammo storage so that it's set to blow when Mnemosyne tries going through it. This plan'll take a single shot from the Pitch Prefect to use as a primer, but we've got all of its bullets right now thanks to the earlier Breezecycle card.

2. There's also some repair tape in the ammo dump. We use that to block off two of the corridors formed by the weapon lockers. While it wouldn't stop her from cutting through, it should slow her down enough that she'll be vulnerable, or forced to choose another path.

3. We intentionally set up a sound trap - tie a string or something to a locker, fill it with unsteady gear and PULL. Bait Mnemosyne toward it, then jump her or open fire. I don't think she's so dumb as to investigate it directly - but we could bait out a wind gun or some other way of figuring out where she's at.

And here's the thing - we could prepare MORE traps than just one, but it means Mnemosyne has more time to lay some down of her own. However - if we do put down more and we can avoid her own traps, that puts us in a phenomenally better position than before.

Or, I mean, we could just keep chasing her down, but I feel like running around is more likely to get me jumped than the other way around.
I don't know what the other enclosed room is on this map, but it's likely Mnemosyne had a similar idea and could be prepping using stuff inside there.
If Mnemosyne's prepping traps using supplies from there, it could be a problem for me later.

But for now... are we rolling with one of these plans, or are we going to keep hounding her? Any other ideas?
>>
No. 1062319 ID: e5709d

Shrapnel works in Mnemosyne's favor. You need to find some way to disrupt her concentration, prevent her from forging a shardstorm.

...Okay, I think I have a general idea of what she's done.
She had time to prepare a smorgasbord of traps. Not so many that the test proctors might raise eyebrows due to the surrealism of spending the military's entire budget on one defensive security system, but a reasonable amount that can be documented, distributed, and disassembled.

Point of order: where is she? First and foremost, you gave her a leg injury. Any attempt to take high ground runs the unacceptable risk of you simply taking advantage of her lowered mobility and demolishing the structures she's standing on, which she can't parkour out of in time. So I reasonably guess that she's either hunkering down in a building (which she may have a secret escape route to compensate for further mobility restraints), or in an open-ended area with equal parts cover and dodge space. Attempting to ambush you in a corridor is a risk; she knows you aren't stupid enough to chase her into her traps, and even if she's far enough to obscure your kinetic projectiles with gravity powers or trick you with a trap at the entrance, she knows you're a gadgeteer, and would likely have gadgets that could either bypass kinetic firing trajectories or close the distance in seconds - which you do. No, she's going to concentrate on support fire turrets and traps, and capitalize on the time and searching it takes for you to find her.

First potential hiding spot: the building. If she shielded the place with sensor jammers, she'll know that you're walking into her freaking Outpost. She can get devious with trap placement, forcing you to withstand dangers at multiple angles - be extra careful around the bend, that's how they get you. If the room opens up, she might try to overwhelm your senses with a banquet of traps. Do not fall for this; fall back, throw some explosive rounds, then approach from a demolition angle.
Second potential hiding spot: corner. This has both an exit strategy she can place her homebrew gadgets in, and a main hallway where she can put her standard ordinance in droves. You'll want to flank through the homebrew section, using your Blink Capacitor to rush past her X-factor and shoot from the back.
Third potential hiding spot is near the back, a general unknown. You'd be forced to move the longest distance and give her enough traps to wear down your stamina. Consider disarming both sides to ensure any chase through trapzones is in your favor.

Luckily for you, I just passed my trapmaster training. VR simulations are awesome.
You need to shift between slow-and-methodical and screw-it-rush-through-with-future-shields. Conquer an area by destroying every trap you can find, then take a minute to determine if you need to methodically destroy the 'killbox' full of traps or should rush through it with your barrier.
You can endure some hits, so take a quarter of a second recognizing what's about to fire at your butt after detecting any trap - sound cues, positioning, the layout of the local environment - to determine if you really need to use a barrier charge now or risk getting hit to prevent yourself from getting hit with something even bigger during the trap combo.
Do not search every nook and cranny. Traps that seem obscure and one-trick-ponies may have multiple traps hidden around them to eliminate those who are curious enough to scan the trap. Be aware that anything may be a false wall, and if you have ammo to spare you should shoot through the walls and ceiling; never assume that an empty corridor after a slew of traps is going to be a cakewalk.
Lastly, be aware that you can retreat. If an area is mined to the teeth, you need to evacuate and approach from a different angle. It will take time for her to escape her own marathon, even one that works for her, from the exit, and if it doesn't then there should be a secret entrance you can steal from.
>>
No. 1062323 ID: 4bb4df

>>1062316

Given what we know of Mnemosyne's powers, the tables and enclosed spaces are likely the most dangerous, judging by her intentions with the cargo lift and containers there.

She'll want to outmanuever us, using either wind guns or tight spaces to force her to maneuver much the same as we will with her. While the lockers could pose a problem, she has to get into them first to be effective, as the portal has to be placed onto the surface of something, and, as we hope works in our favor, liquids, like that of the Pitch Prefect, will prevent that.

Considering how poorly things went when we bombed the roof with [s]cheeseface[/i] Astro, let's hold off on detonating the ammo dump and use it to force Mnemosyne's hand. She's likely aware of how vulnerable an area it is, even if it's basically full of stuff she can lob at us, because the instant she goes in there, she's toast.

I'd suggest we try to corral her toward it and into open areas, where we can take shots at her and better evade any windborne strikes.

Also, don't forget the gloves. They might just be able to absorb the kinetic force of something she hurls at you, much like a bullet (or in this case, a freakin' cannonball).
>>
No. 1062384 ID: 4ffeb8

Out of curiosity if the ammo dump blows up and that KOs both of you is that a win, lose, or draw?
>>
No. 1062385 ID: 15a025
File 168282797656.png - (105.52KB , 1000x717 , hide.png )
1062385

Drawn out a little plan here. If she's hiding anywhere on the map, it's going to be the orange spot. It has the most covee, and the most spots she can toss "wind turrets" at us, and the most escape spots. I think our best option is to follow the blue line, blink across the gap so she can't see us, and ultimately flank her.
>>
No. 1062387 ID: 273c18

>>1062316
1. Did someone say EXPLOSIONS???

If she's hiding in that corner marked in the post above, then driving her out of it might lead her into the ammo dump, which would be absolutely perfect for the trap. Especially if we also use the tape in option 2!

...there's one problem with this trap though. Won't she just be able to blow out the fire before it cooks off the ammo?
>>
No. 1062461 ID: bcda6c

>>1062387
no explosions, as somebody pointed out further up the thread if we create a bunch of shrapnel that puts us at an incredibly steep disadvantage. we're going to have to keep it clean here, it was smart of her to lure us here.
>>
No. 1062463 ID: 273c18

>>1062461
We've seen how her air control works against projectiles. It's not telekinesis, she can only influence the path of an object so much. Shrapnel flying through the air will be deflected as much as a bullet, which is to say not very much.

At worst it gives her loose objects to fling around, but there are already a bunch of those in the cabinets.
>>
No. 1063679 ID: 1015ea
File 168398242105.png - (429.10KB , 1000x1000 , warp.png )
1063679

>Mnemosyne's had the time to prepare a lot of traps.
...Something doesn't sit right with me on this. I'm not even sure this is right.
I went into this tournament thinking that every sector was going to be a deathtrap, but so far, only Nickel seemed to have something prepared in advance and that was just the first area. What's stopping them from just turning a bunch of rooms into blast furnaces again?
Outside of pride, honour, are they taking it easy on me? I haven't seen any traps at all in this area yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. If she's jamming the SAI, then there's a strong chance she could get them imperceptible to you as well.

>You need to shift between slow-and-methodical and screw-it-rush-through-with-future-shields.
This, I like the sound of. Push her when I need to, then slow down when she tries throwing things out there to peel me off.
For now - I say we need to keep pushing.

>What happens if BOTH of you are knocked out?
That's... a good question.
I guess there was that case with that pink-dyed weirdo. She... really likes explosives and mortar ammunition, to put it one way. I think the whole 'won't die from explosions' thing that Parasignias introduced meant that she could be as unhinged as she'd want to be. Rare for someone to do it with a smile on their face. She actually had a match where she blew up herself and her opponent.
At the time, it was ruled as a tie or a disqualify, because if everyone started running in strapped to the gills with grenades, then there'd be a crater in the arenas by the end of the day.

Here, though? I'm fighting for MY freedom. I can't say for sure - but I'm going to be damn pissed if they deem it as a tie or worse, when these are supposed to be the BEST PEOPLE IN THE FACILITY. They're the ones who fell for it.

>Considering how poorly things went when we bombed the roof with cheeseface, let's hold off on detonating the ammo dump and use it to force Mnemosyne's hand.
Oh, like using it as a threat? I like that - we don't even HAVE to set a trap in there, do we? Make her think that we're doing so, get her to play around it...
I like that. I like that a lot.

>She's likely aware of how vulnerable an area it is.
And that's exactly why we can use it to our advantage. I know how people see me.
It means that we can also run through it without any worry - because the one thing that Mnemosyne can't do with her powers is make things catch fire.

>Is shrapnel gonna work? What if she uses her wind powers to reflect it?
At this close of a range? Nah, she's screwed. The Pitch Prefect only failed because the distance between the elevator and the shot was too long, so the Blink effect I slotted into it originally didn't close the distance enough and the strong wind forces propelled it back out.

>Don't forget the gloves - you can use 'em to absorb the kinetic force of something she throws at you.
Yeah, you're right.
I'll keep an eye out so she won't get any advantages over me if she starts flinging things at me.

That's enough reflection for now. One of you even made a map!
I'll put that plan to action.

Moving up across the perimeter of the ammo dump, I walk quietly but confidently. And at the wall... I use a Blink.

The only real downside to using the Blink Capacitor's the glow.
But what kind of gadget made with extradimensional technology and knowledge DOESN'T glow?
It's dim enough that it won't be a problem if I'm far away enough.
I scooch across the wall of the other room - I didn't get a good look at what's inside, but it's not important right now.
>>
No. 1063680 ID: 1015ea
File 168398245924.png - (452.91KB , 1000x1000 , hiding.png )
1063680

There's Mnemosyne - quietly patrolling the halls. She's staunched the bleeding, but...
Damn. She's still breathing steadily, like she hasn't been shot twice. Even then, even if she's keeping her composure, her body's going to be slower to respond.

I peek out for a second and she stops. Those tendrils surrounding her tail rise up, like they're tasting the air.
The next second, I find myself with my back pressed against the wall.

My fur stands on end.
Being chased down by the one of the strongest in this facility...

Maybe I'm just getting used to fighting people who outclass me in a few skills here or there...
But I dare her to come screw with me. There's a thrill to this, completely unlike when Ozone chased me at the very beginning of this mess.
I can fight - and unlike Nickel, neither of us have the intent to hide for long.
>>
No. 1063681 ID: 1015ea
File 168398248371.png - (85.54KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree03.png )
1063681

There's not much time before she makes a move.

Do we fight? We will, won't we?

>Lastly, be aware that you can retreat. If an area is mined to the teeth, you need to evacuate and approach from a different angle.

I get that. But.
This is a chance. We can get our plans to work.

The Blink Capacitor's on cooldown from getting into position, but it'll be ready again soon after.

Closing the distance at this range... it's possible. Throw a barrier forward, the Silkweave Gauntlets as backup.
But is there anything else I'm not accounting for that could slow me down?
We've got her in a good position, far from the lockers. The only place she could place portals would be herself and the ground, but I can account for both.
>>
No. 1063742 ID: e5709d

1) Make sure that isn't a gadget decoy.
Quietly roll a grenade in her general direction.
2) Reposition with your teleport power to higher ground.
Height advantage will give you an increase to hit. However, she will anticipate you appearing from the shelves and plan accordingly, which means you need to unleash your powers prematurely to prevent disaster:
3) Immediately use your barrier. Let her traps waste themselves hitting you. Be extra careful and take a quick look around, both to determine Mnemosyne's tactical plan and for any traps that are set on a chain timer or have delayed reaction times, and shoot them before they trigger.
4) Unload on Mnemosyne.
Hold
nothing
back.
>>
No. 1063762 ID: 15a025

I fear the most I can offer are defensive plans to watch for. Remember she can arch and make our shots make a uturn right back at us. She could also pull off another smoke screen to run if things get dicey. I think the only other thing to worry about is a close range Velocity Javelin going right through you.

If we do end up getting in close range, there is one weapon you have she can't blow away with the wind though. Consider using Plug if you wind up in melee range.

Other than that, you're an excellent marksmen Argine. Fire the best shots you can, and pay attention to your surroundings.
>>
No. 1065184 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592929887.png - (580.21KB , 1000x1000 , duckandweave.png )
1065184

>Make sure it's not a gadget decoy.
She's moving properly, alright. No flickers or haze around it; and in a place this dim, it's easier to tell if something's a projection or not.

>Quietly roll a grenade.
Don't have any on me, pal.

>Teleport away.
Blink Capacitor's on cooldown til after this skirmish.

>I think the only other thing to worry about is a close range Velocity Javelin going right through you.
That's a possibility, but she's real vulnerable when she's charging one up. And when we're close up, she's not going to be able to blow bullets away; there's too little time for air drag to come into effect.

Right now... the best approach I can see is going in.


I did learn from that shifty short bastard, didn't I?
In the dark, Nickel's teachings are much more effective. Doesn't matter how quiet I am if someone can see me, right?
But here...

It all starts off with a few steps out from the locker, crouched and ready to make a move.
I dash around the corner, closing the gap between us.
In mere moments, she raises her gun, her impeccable reaction speed kicking in.

But it turns out she realized a little too late.
It all happens in an instant.

>Use your barrier.
I'll do you better than the Barrier Generator.

I raise my arms in front, the Silkweave Gauntlets manifesting as Mnemosyne fires away, the bright flashes threatening to blind us both.
Each bullet that collides with it pings off harmlessly, my arm bearing only a fraction of the recoil.
It'll only hurt worse for her later.

With her initial onslaught ineffective, I get even closer.

She reaches out, her free hand grabbing onto the edge of my coat.
>>
No. 1065185 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592931389.png - (353.86KB , 1000x1000 , failedgrab.png )
1065185

And in that moment, she realizes:
She screwed up.

The thin layer of lubricant on my clothing, a trap set from the very beginning has finally been set off.
Her fingers slip, unable to form a portal to blow me away.
>>
No. 1065187 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592932481.png - (220.39KB , 1000x1000 , eyegine.png )
1065187

Against anyone else, she would win.
She's been alive four times as long as me, training every day because of some trauma in her past.
Her abilities, her physical prowess, her training...

All of it's excellent.
Me? I'd pale in comparison in a performance evaluation.

Even now - she has contingencies.
A flash of steel in the gloom.

But it's too late. I know it in my blood.
I lock eyes with her -
There's no need to say anything.
She knows it too.

I outsmarted one of the best soldiers in the facility.
And it's thanks to her, the person who believed in me for so long.

[Ignition Complex....
>>
No. 1065188 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592935786.png - (730.79KB , 1000x1000 , coldwar.png )
1065188

...Cold War]!

Moisture in the air gathers around me, wrapping around the Silkweave Gauntlets.
The ice is... soothing.
Like the fresh sting of fresh medicated bandages.

Her knife pings off of the unnaturally tough ice and she reaches for her sidearm, the gun dropping into her hands from above.

I simply reach out and the gun frosts out, the echoing clicks of her useless tool bouncing off the walls.
Maybe, in this moment, I'm showing just how much of a monster I can be.
But Judi's been there for me, just like Nanoweaver and Diagram.

My grip tightens, the crisscrossing trails of ice digging deep into the gunmetal.
It cracks, it breaks, metal and ice glittering in the dim lights.

The ice threatens to climb up her arms.
>>
No. 1065189 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592937359.png - (471.48KB , 1000x1000 , bigpunch.png )
1065189

No matter who you are; if you don't expect your weapon to break in two in your hand, you'll be caught off-guard.

The gauntlets are charged up from the impacts before.
There's no time to recover.
My fist collides with her armor and I can feel the plating crunch under the force of the ice.
>>
No. 1065190 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592939623.png - (719.67KB , 1000x1000 , wallslam.png )
1065190

Mnemosyne goes flying, this time without her powers.
She sails into the wall, causing a crash that makes my teeth clatter.

She'll be fine; I've seen people get back up from being exploded.
But we've got an advantage to press, don't we?
>>
No. 1065191 ID: 58e9c7
File 168592942542.png - (82.76KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree04.png )
1065191

The adrenaline's running high right now.
If you ask me, the rest of the tournament may as well be a formality. I've proven that I'm able to get the upper hand against one of the best in the facility.
But they're not evaluating that kind of thing, are they?

Whatever.
Now that she's cornered, she'll only fight harder. Let's make it fast, beat her before she tries pulling anything funny.

Blink Capacitor's back up and I've still got all five shots for the Pitch Prefect. Barrier Generator's still at the ready.

Let's keep things moving.
>>
No. 1065193 ID: 12b116

Don't get cocky, get in close, blink if necessary, and finish her off with your blade
>>
No. 1065198 ID: 273c18

Don't blink forward just yet. Nail her with a Pitch Prefect first, to stun her. Then blink forward and hit her with Plug.
>>
No. 1065200 ID: e5709d

Unload half your supplies and special ammo on her, but save the rest for a potential comeback.
>She's moving properly, alright. No flickers or haze around it; and in a place this dim, it's easier to tell if something's a projection or not.
For future missions, don't get cocky; you never see the premium-quality low-interference holo-disguise until it stabs you. Those aren't out on any commercial market, but you can be expected to deploy against elites who have access.
>>
No. 1065206 ID: 9a2966

>Cold War
Did you just mimic Judicium's parasignia on your gauntlets? Huh. That's quite the pseudosignia effect. Twice the bang for your buckshot. May she be delighted you took to her ways.

>Crash
A mighty dunk. It wouldn't surprise me if you somehow punched her THROUGH that wall, into the un-scannable area behind. Where who knows what traps be hid.

Well.

Verify the opening and if there's a cartoonishly Mnemosyne-sized hole (or equivalent), race for the breach with your Barrier optionally deployed. I doubt it's an entrance she would've predicted. I doubt it's an entrance she can react well to. Especially if you Blink inside, past whatever she throws back at ya, and level your revolvers sharp. Just keep tabs on the scan to ensure she didn't slip elsewhere in the smoke and dust.

>Let's beat her fast
It's fair certain Mnemosyne will try to pull one of her trump cards now. You rushing her now is the one thing she HAS to defend or dodge against. A feint of some sort could come in handy against a lash-out, if she doesn't quite realize where you are after this.

And if she's just in a crumpled heap - let loose a hail upon her with whatever gun is appropriate for the range, and use barrier and blink as defensive measures against her counter. She might toss the full weight of her inner storm at you, so deflection and avoidance might be the name of the game there. Especially if you wanna get close now that she's realized she can't affect you directly. That trap won't work twice.

>A warning
I half feel we may not want to use the pitch unless we can ensure you - or she - won't end up setting fire to the ammo caches around here and, er, force a tie the rough way.
>>
No. 1065210 ID: 3ed3c3

>>1065191
Give her no chance to recover. Grind her into the dirt and make her submit. Pummel surrender out of her.
>>
No. 1065236 ID: 1371b2

…In her shoes this would be the time for a panic button manuver, if she’s got one.
But if now isn’t a good time to go in.
Might not be a bad idea to save our blink for slipping past if she goes for a big blow, and after demonstrating those gauntlets I think she’s going to have to resort to something big to punch past those.
>>
No. 1065246 ID: 2a2ba9

>>1065185
>It was at this moment that Mnemosyne knew - She f***ed up.
Definitely open with Pitch. However got a question for ya Argine. Would the Amp Rings allow safe usage of the Wallflower firearm of yours? Would be a *great* follow up.
>>
No. 1065328 ID: 826994

>>1065246
Ooh that’s a great idea.
>>
No. 1065380 ID: 402b76

No, she's got contingencies. Unload the pitch perfect and then back off, disappear, and observe.
>>
No. 1065586 ID: 15a025

We've used that advantage pretty well, now to be careful we don't waste and lose it. We've got keep the pressure going for sure. I'd fire the pitch prefect off to the two sides to either slow down her escape routes or cut them off entirely. Firing them directly at her is risky in case she can use her wind to blow them right back at you.
>>
No. 1065774 ID: 30b9f6

Er, so, is anyone else a bit worried about deploying sticky fire inside the ammo dump area? Standard protections or not, if anything you guys do breaches a container, or the heat transfer sufficiently...
>>
No. 1066248 ID: 58e9c7
File 168717759067.png - (718.11KB , 1000x1000 , wallpunch.png )
1066248

>Give her no chance to recover.
>Get in close and finish her off.

>Open with the Pitch Prefect.

I fire, then dash forward, the weight and momentum of the unnaturally dense ice flying forward.
I don't have the saved kinetic energy from the Gauntlets anymore, but -
My fist collides with the wall...
Where Mnemosyne no longer is.

The tar, spent - crystallizes on contact with the gauntlets, splintering and breaking off, little flakes drifting off around me.
Four shots left.

I jump back. This -
This is bad.
Her power's meant to be making gale-force winds, right?
So why the hell is she gone?

She shouldn't have anything like Nickel's invisibility!
>>
No. 1066249 ID: 58e9c7
File 168717761892.png - (468.19KB , 1000x1000 , bulletsfly.png )
1066249

The ice coating my arms disappear, along with the gauntlets for now.
If I need my guns, I'll be ready, but...
She's nowhere to be seen, even as my eyes dart around to find where the hell she went.
In the corner of my mind, I'm just about ready to summon the Blink Capacitor.

>It's fair certain Mnemosyne will try to pull one of her trump cards now.
She has to - but from WHERE?

The tension's heavy enough to thicken the air.

I hear, then see the gunfire before my body could catch up.
For a moment, there's a blast of hot air.
From the floor, bullets fly upward - a blinding muzzleflash burning my eyes as a bullet grazes the bridge of my snout.

The cube's in my hand - and I'm out.
>>
No. 1066250 ID: 58e9c7
File 168717763226.png - (373.14KB , 1000x1000 , crouched.png )
1066250

I end up on the top of the Ammodump, the Blink Capacitor's glow dimming as I tumble across the ceiling.
The fizzling energy around me dissipates as I kneel, my head almost bumping against the ceiling.
It's cramped up here - like I said before, roof's lower than the Security room above.

The warm trickle of blood and the new stinging pain's making it obvious; things could have been way worse.

>Did you just mimic Judicium's Parasignia on your gauntlets?
I think that's the Pseudosignia you were all waiting for.
...Ice powers, huh. I mean, it seems tough enough but it seems pretty different in effect to Judi's. Both the Pitch Prefect's tar and Mnemosyne's gun practically disintegrated when I used it...


>…In her shoes this would be the time for a panic button manuver, if she’s got one.
So she got out of the way somehow? But how? If she blasted herself far enough, I still would have seen or heard it!
>>
No. 1066251 ID: 58e9c7
File 168717765308.png - (87.60KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree05.png )
1066251

She has to have sustained significant damage after that, but now the SAI map readout can't find her at all.
We've still got her on the ropes, though - she's taken a nice, solid hit just then. It can't be too far now.

...And now I have access to Cold War as well.
Pseudosignias don't FEEL like they have the same degree of power as Parasignias - Nickel and Astrolysis used theirs (splitting presence, invisible barrier), and using them doesn't seem to enable someone else's Parasignia due to that resonance effect or whatever. It's not like how I can't pull out Guns Blazing's weapon combination effect all the time, because if I do, it'll also make it easier for the opponent to pull out their Parasignia's strongest effect.

I don't know enough about this ability to use it entirely, but - I can guess to what it's doing, it's a part of me.
I think it's something to do with using ice defensively, like Judicium - but with an emphasis on neutralizing the opponent's equipment.
I can break down equipment into component parts and store it for later, and Judi protects herself and others through neutralizing attacks. Not too much of a stretch to say that this is useful for that kind of thing - but I don't think I've got much range on it at all. My abilities were never very long range to begin with, I have to touch something to activate my Parasignia.
But if I can use it on the Silkweave Gauntlets, then... it could probably extend to Plug as well.

Mnemosyne clearly has backup guns though, so I'm unsure if it's going to be useful for the rest of this fight.

>Would the Amp Rings allow for the safe usage of the Wallflower?
...That's a great idea, actually. But I get the feeling that if it's not my arms taking the recoil, it's going to be the rings. If we're cool with having it broken to bits for the rest of a fight? Then yeah, it's an option.
Against Mnemosyne? She'd likely just avoid it. Remind me when we get to someone who isn't capable of pulling a vanishing act seconds after I smash them into a wall.

>Er, so, is anyone else a bit worried about deploying sticky fire inside the ammo dump area?
...That could be a problem. A lot of the ammo's been moved out, but enough of it's still around, and this is a pretty contained area...
If things start burning, oxygen's going to be a problem. Keep an eye on it then.

We need to figure this out, fast - where the hell did she go and how's she firing at me still?
And I can't stay up here - I'll get cornered in no time.
Blink Capacitor's on cooldown until the next action.
>>
No. 1066252 ID: 1371b2

Oh.
She makes portals.
Portals to a windstorm but still.
Portals.
She can shoot you from everywhere, anywhere.
And I’m sure she’s guessing our best move…Will be to blow the room. Anything to win right?
Nah.
Kamikaze’s no way to go about this. We just need the Resolve to smoke her out.
Move, and move fast. Forget cover- hearing is more important than sight unless you lay eyes on her.
We’re in the storm, we need to find the eye and the eye is Menosyne.
Let’s hope we can find it BEFOrE she portal-hits you with a charged Javelin.
>>
No. 1066256 ID: 629f2e

>>1066252

Damn, it sounds so obvious now that you say it. All she'd have to do is dip into one of her portals and let herself out where you aren't looking, and suddenly it's like she's vanished.

Okay, pinning her down will be hard with that in mind. I'm not sure if she has to have a portal open already to return to when she does that, or if she can open portals back to here when she's in the vortex. If its the former, then theoretically we can take advantage of that. If the latter, then that gives her a lot more freedom.

Let's make an assumption right now. The gunshots came from the floor, so perhaps what she did there was create two portals, one on the floor in front of you and one in front of her, and she stuck the muzzle of her gun through it. The portals lead to the windstorm of course, but if they were close enough within that vortex... Well, it may as well be a portal from her to you.

Move quietly to somewhere you hopefully can't be seen, and try to suss out her location. Use all of your senses, and don't trust that gunfire is coming from where she actually is.

The Pitch Prefect might be your best bet. If you can lock her down with tar shots, maybe she won't be able to escape.
>>
No. 1066258 ID: 273c18

I'm shocked she can make a portal big enough to slip through. Also, she just fired out of a portal, so she's STILL IN THERE. Or at best, she has automated guns in there, but I feel like it's more likely she's still inside. Well, that or she's popping in and out to make potshots at you. I think we just have to keep moving, survive until she runs out of juice and has to exit. Or fortify an area so she can't shoot us there. Do you have any more of that oil? Could you find some gun oil in here, spread some of that on the walls and floor somewhere? Might have to shield barrier to protect yourself from the ceiling.
>>
No. 1066361 ID: 9a2966

Mnemosyne may indeed be Thinking With Portals. But as powerful as it may be to link up portals by being able to position them perfectly within her void space, the trick she just pulled is likely not easy and requires setup. For one, it needs two decent-sized portals. Let's recall her weaknesses.

>Small openings are easy to maintain and seemingly 'automated' subconsciously by Mnemosyne's intended goals, but still need physical contact to create.

Inferred, larger portals are harder to maintain, so unless she can resize existing ones without being near them - oh boy let's hope not - she must've had a large-enough portal stashed somewhere safe prior to her escape. She may have been under some focus strain maintaining her getaway this entire time, and may continue to be for her next get outta jail free card - if she has more. Cost-benefit on the focus strain probably makes it unlikely she can pop out anywhere and everywhere (unless portal resizing is a thing).

We can also read into this that small portals are likely a dime a dozen - and sized for say a gun muzzle, which will be an issue. Mnemosyne likely pre-deployed many in the ammo dump to act as sniping points and/or 'security monitors' of sorts. Your earlier sneaking about may have caught her off guard - maybe the dark and your stealth was your ally here - so she may light up the room herself to spot you better through her portals. Or start using proper detection equipment.

At any rate, with portal 'coupling', she may be able to use any other surface for her monitoring and sniping needs. The existing portals are likely found in unobtrusive areas with good overview, places you're unlikely to detect the wind gusting from them - at diagonal angles up by or near roof areas seem likely. She probably won't have them all coupled up at the same time, or you would be able to fire back at will when one is located (or a sniping spot is fired back at). Cost-benefit wise for Mnemo's focus, it also seems wasteful to have so many double portals coupled up all the time when you could instead cycle through a larger number.

>Where did she go?
It seems logical Mnemosyne would've sought extreme safety to recover after getting thrashed like that. The bunker structure below your feet seems the most likely place to hang out and take potshots through portals while recovering, especially now that we suspect she can just bypass walls and whatever defenses and surprises she may have set up at the normal access point. Though she might've accounted for your extreme firepower - or willingness to blow up the ammo dump with the leftover ammo - by doing a fake-out, going into hiding in the other no-detection zone here, or even just outside the room.

Still, the question is how do you get at someone who could have this level of tactical and line-of-fire overview and could at this point be staying anywhere?

Portal Payback. Go full stealth mode again and she will have to keep cycling through her portal 'monitors' to relocate you, yeah? Quickly find one of her pre-deployed portals. Feel about for a source of airflow - she'd have to place them up here to account for the low ceiling, I reckon. Try looking at angles for a good sentry gun placement and head there first. If you can find one, ambush her back through it at point blank - say with the Creirwy D-3 shotgun for a that nice bit of spread - the moment she 'connects' another portal to do a peek. If this IS the gimmick she's using, show her the two-edged nature of a two-portal setup.

Mind that this is all built on some assumptions, so have some defense going. Barrier Generator sounds good to keep ready in mind - but not in use, or you'd glow, right? - in case she pulls some other tricky move or spots you before you can spot her. Even when fired upon, shooting back at her with the spread-fire shotgun may still pay off, though she could be devious and be floating a rifle while spotting you from somewhere else. You can consider firing at a on other identified portals as well, in case she's peeking through one and shooting through the other.
>>
No. 1066551 ID: 15a025
File 168766149533.png - (85.26KB , 1000x1000 , idea.png )
1066551

Based on what we know, the shot we just got hit with. She could have dropped another gun and set up a portal as a trap. A quick an easy way to punish us for charging in.

As for where she is, assuming she isn't using portals to teleport, I think the spot I've marked on the map is where she is. It's a spot she can stay a little hidden, and keep an eye on us still.

We should certainly get off the roof, it's leaving us open to get blasted by another javelin.
>>
No. 1067371 ID: 58e9c7
File 168878453513.png - (763.33KB , 1000x1000 , thinkingaboutportals.png )
1067371

Didn't the notes say that even trying to go into the portals was impossible? They're supposed to be connected to some kinda place full of gale force winds!

>Still, the question is how do you get at someone who could have this level of tactical and line-of-fire overview and could at this point be staying anywhere?
...There's limitations to everything, Syke.
If I'm limited by the complexity of my tools, or how I see my gear, then Mnemosyne's got to have restrictions on just how many portals she can make, right?
If she had unlimited portals, she'd be hiding them EVERYWHERE on the way in. And from the looks of it, it's not something that she CAN hide, given how loud the wind is going to be.

>She can shoot you from everywhere, anywhere.
But the thing is, she hasn't. If she could, then I'd be full of holes right now.

>Inferred, larger portals are harder to maintain, so unless she can resize existing ones without being near them - oh boy let's hope not - she must've had a large-enough portal stashed somewhere safe prior to her escape.

Ah... hell, that's a good point. She must make absolutely tiny ones to manipulate her movement for the sake of air control - so part of why we never saw a bigger one was because keeping them open like that, and in a way that doesn't immediately reveal itself, since I think I'd be able to see a giant wind vortex dimension portal if I saw one.

>At any rate, with portal 'coupling', she may be able to use any other surface for her monitoring and sniping needs.
I'm gonna have to challenge you on that one, Syke.
If that was the case, there'd be a lot more portals around, ones we'd see more often.
She wouldn't bother with floating guns or portals on the ground if she could keep a perfect level of observation against me, wouldn't she?
The bullets only managed to graze me - and she doesn't seem like someone who'd have an off aim when I was offguard like that.
Plus, the air-suspended guns from before is what makes me question this. If she had an elaborate portal network that knows where I am at all times, she wouldn't need to set those traps up, she'd fire directly at me.

And earlier... now that we're thinking about it, I never saw a portal big enough for me to recognise it on those guns. I get the feeling she can disable portals when she wants, but... as with the idea that bigger portals need more focus, maybe she's got some kind of upper limit on just how many she can concentrate on or see at all?

>I'm shocked she can make a portal big enough to slip through. Also, she just fired out of a portal, so she's STILL IN THERE.
We're going to have to think about this through eliminating the other possibilities. What HASN'T she done during this fight?
She hasn't popped in and out of these portals until now, at least not from what I've seen. She wouldn't patrol around normally if she could, a network of portals linked to each other in ways I can't deal with would've been my approach.
So clearly, she has to be OUTSIDE the portal for one reason or another.

The question is, why?
If we figure out what limits her, then I'd be better off at responding to what she could do.
>>
No. 1067372 ID: 58e9c7
File 168878458217.png - (513.21KB , 1000x1000 , leap.png )
1067372

Ugh. Gotta keep moving, she's going to cause problems sooner than later.
It's inconsistent, but when I'm able to puzzle things out with you, it's like time slows a little. Maybe it's a byproduct of the SAI splinters recording our thoughts, so when we're actively talking and I'm keeping my cool, my thinking speed's faster because you're taking some of the burden off of me?

>Keep the Barrier Generator on hand, readied but not active so you don't glow.
On it. It's in the forefront of my mind - the moment I need it, it'll form.

And just as I get ready to reposition myself, I stop for the briefest of moments.

A shiver runs down my spine. For a moment, the stinging pains in my body make themselves apparent again.
I hear it before I see it.
The sound rips through the quiet like a giant blade.

On the battlefield, the slightest moment of hesitation used to be death. Here, it's a loss - and for me, that can be worse.
My body is moving before I know it.
I slide, raising the Barrier Generator in front of me as it forms.

For a brief moment, it's like I was trying to block a cannonball.
I'm surprised the Barrier Generator held on that long at all.
Grinding, sliding - it all happened in a moment. The thrown debris slides up the barrier, the gadget providing just enough resistance to stop it from punching right through me.

Fragments of the ceiling rain down near me and I smell burned circuitry.
The Barrier Generator came apart in my hands, leaving me holding a tube of burning metal.

I slide it back into my Parasignia, the worst of the damage contained. My arm's going to be bruised as all hell, but this is nothing compared to the Wallflower's blowback.
It's a good thing that the dump here's made of tough shit, otherwise we'd be completely screwed if the ceiling comes down on us. Don't think a Parasignia is going to protect against that at all.

The only play is to retreat further back - at the angle the javelin landed, she's not going to be able to tell which direction I'm running.
Moments later, I can feel the tremor of the javelin thud right into the spot I just was moments ago.
>>
No. 1067373 ID: 58e9c7
File 168878460306.png - (541.36KB , 1000x1000 , wall.png )
1067373

I drop down behind, pressing myself up against the wall.
Hiding near the ammo dump's not going to be safe for much longer if the stuff inside catches alight. The Velocity Javelin isn't going to set anything on fire by itself, but it CAN break through walls if angled right.

Mnemosyne's close by, and she knows that I've only got a few places to actually run and hide. Question is, how can I turn the tables on her again?

I don't need to see her to hear her - there's some kinda whirring coming from around the corner.
I take a quick, brief peek before ducking right back where I was.

She's... floating. Is that a gadget on her back?
Ah, hell.
Guess there's nothing saying you can't use tools that're similar to your own ability.

A noted weakness that the document said she had was that she couldn't use her wind portals to fly.
If she has a gadget that lets her do that, then she's got unparalleled mobility right now.

Currently, she seems to be searching for me - I'm just lucky she wasn't facing me, or else I'd be getting a faceful of lead.
>>
No. 1067374 ID: 58e9c7
File 168878462154.png - (82.06KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree06.png )
1067374

Now that I'm on this side of the ammo dump, I can see the doorway leading into the room, though not what's inside.


She's out there. We could deal with her somehow, but we still don't know the exact implications of what her powers are limited by.
The report I got from Nanoweaver said that her powers are apparently something else besides a regular Parasignia, but there's no use theorizing about why exactly that is. To us, it's an ability we have to figure out a way around.

I guess she's bringing out the last of her tools now that she's pushed to this extent. If your opponents aren't going to get downed by a bullet to the head from a high calibre rifle, then it makes sense to whittle them down over a longer period of time. Same reason I don't use the Pitch Prefect as a default option, and she doesn't have the ability to generate more bullets out of nowhere like I can.


We can't just keep running - but there's a strong chance she's going to put me into the ground if I screw up. She'll catch up eventually, whether it's using some kind of portal trick, or by jetting over to me.
Barrier Generator's on cooldown for now.

What're your thoughts, Sykes?
>>
No. 1067377 ID: 4481aa

Perhaps the Pitch Prefect could be of use here? Lobbing a shot all the way over the area between you may be asking a lot, so if that's more than you can manage then try to get close first. Maybe hop right back on the roof. I doubt she'd expect that if she knows you just got off it. The tar might mess up her gadget and prevent flight, and a direct explosion should at least disorient her enough for you to finish things.
>>
No. 1067382 ID: 273c18

Ok, if she didn't step through a portal, then... she teleported? She has a blink capacitor like you? Or did she just move really fast? Shoved herself out of the way with a strong gust of wind?

I figured she couldn't go through the portals before because she hadn't activated her uh, limit break or whatever. The stronger version of her parasignia. If she really can't do that, then what does her boosted parasignia DO? Does it let her turn into wind briefly, perhaps?

>>1067374
Oh, there's a second entrance to the ammo dump? I kinda want to blow it up. Lob a pitch prefect in there, and blink behind heavy cover so it blows her up and not you.
>>
No. 1067398 ID: 1371b2

Out in the open and flying around…
Dumb though it sounds I think a more or less straight charge out of nowhere might be our best play:
Kind of feels like she’s hurt enough we might be able to finish her in another engagement, we just have to make sure she doesn’t get us in the process…But I suspect we need a better plan then just charge her.
Hrrm.
Needs to touch to make a portal, flying in air. She’s commited to working with the portals she has, so if wind’s not coming from a place it won’t be coming unless she lands atop it.
No more set-up surprises unless already active, I think?
So-only way she can have a surprise portal set where we can’t find them will be someplace we can’t get to, like the elevator trap had worked-portals where we couldn’t get close without committing.
I think that means ceiling portals, if any portals left must have been set up previously…

Could she be closing portals as she goes, gaining bandwidth to do more clever stunts with them? Like she has juice for 20 so she commits 5 to the first room, 2 in the second, 3 in the last room, except after we clear the first room she now has 5 portals to play with, then 7 portals worth of juice to improvise with, and the three pre-sets.
Numbers are used as an example not what I think are her actual hard limits, by the way.
>>
No. 1067412 ID: b1805a

>>1067374

We may have shown our hand, so to speak, when we tried for melee earlier. I suspect it's her weakness, so Mnemosyne is going to be doubly sure to guard against further close-range assault, and will try to keep her distance.

Outmaneuvering her might require both luck and a few traps of our own. Any chance we can get into (and out of) the ammo dump fast enough to set up a few surprises?
>>
No. 1067417 ID: 48c015

She might have developed a pseudo-signia that allows her to open portals elsewhere and pass right through.
Or maybe that gadget is allowing her to change the direction the wind blows!

I think it might be good to use the pitch-prefect to throw a burning projectile down the hallway, making it look like we miss the shot and accidentally set the floor is on fire.

While she is distracted with that, teleport behind her and blast that gadget on her back, then sneak away before she can retaliate.
>>
No. 1067431 ID: 9a2966

Frontloading action suggestion.

You had two main directions to GTFO and Mnemo's just checked one. She must know or suspect your rough location by now. Do not charge in from where you are. Do not Blink directly at her. She knows your possible vector of approach. She'll be flying, ready to dodge, around the corner, or have levitating guns in ambush, or something.

She should be painfully aware of Blink and your tendency to use it to close in or go up, so if you wanna use it - go somewhere unexpected. Run diagonally towards the rightmost building. Get visual on a shelving unit south of Mnemo. Blink INTO one of the upper shelves, to land behind something if possible (or at the top if not - it's still from an angle she might not expect). Immediately Pitch Prefect down at her. Detonate it in the air close in front of her, spray it all over, make it hard for her to dodge even with her mobility. She'll be all stick where it hits and that fucks her flight assist portals. Bet you pitch won't do great things for the air intakes and rotors of that flying gadget either.

And if you manage to reduce her mobility... THAT might be time to set up for Guns Blazing and end this.

>Vanishing act timeline
If we need to take a razor to our portal a-sykes-ysumptions here... unless that was the work of your fist there was an oddly hexagonal impression on the wall Mnemo crashed into. She may have a gadget that transfers crash force and/or ports her away on a crash, like your Blink. Makes sense she'd have something - she's a jetpacker, having something anti-crash would be an essential tool.

She then popped her flight gadget and went up, because people never look up - and sailed herself onto, oh, say, the rightmost building? While doing so, she summoned a weapon from a stash somewhere. Then she shot you through a portal she created at your feet, pairing it up with one close to her. Or possibly levitated a gun under your toes, but that... no, you would've seen something, right? She could also just as well have shot you from a different point blank position and better aimed at that: it makes more sense she rush opened a portal beneath your feet - perhaps blindly - and fired before you could get moving from her position.

Bad luck for you, she was also in position to spot that you Blinked to the roof, due to being on a different one herself. She decided to go somewhere unseen - inside the main armory or rightmost building - and charged a velocity javelin in safety, either angling it to hit where you were or popped another portal pair and hurled it at you through them.

Best guesses only, but it sounds roughly plausible, if not necessarily what happened.

>If we figure out what limits her
She could 'automate' small portals subconsciously, so we can assume she uses LOTS of pinprick ones and is probably automating her flight/levitation stuff more or less subconsciously - with stronger bursts of speed and dodge if she focuses, and with great mobility paired with the flight gadget. I suspect she doesn't need line of sight to open and control her portals - one of her first moves was to smoke bomb you, so losing sight is not something she's wary of. Rather she seems to want you to lose her, and often. Probably because she can portal pair and get both eye and drop on you if you let her.

We know she can levitate two guns at a time from her pincer ambush, too. With the elevator shaft gun, let's make a cautious supposition the she can have at least three levitated guns at a time. Keep your eyes on a swivel (and remember checking up).

Worth noting is you destroying her gun earlier made her summon one from nearby right fucking quick. She might have prepped the armory with supply caches. A 'guns everywhere' strat gets her past the 'can't reload' limitation, so this IS an ideal battleground for her. That said, if you happen to see a stashed weapon or a weapon cache ready for use, you could dump pitch prefect on them to make them unusuable for her purposes. Or better - be surreptitous and put some on the trigger and handhold, and force her to deal with that mess when or if she grabs them. Heck, just gumming the triggers might make her wind be unable to fire them, which could be a nasty surprise to discover when she thinks she has you. Doubt you'll have too much time to be sneaky though.

Weapon caches all over makes a lot of sense given a) this is an armory and b) how quick she was to shoot you again with the paired portals style attack. You destroyed the gun she had on her after all. And you did see a muzzle flash coming from the floor, so she must've stood somewhere and stuck a very recently acquired gun through, enough so to avoid the muzzle flash giving away her position. Which makes sense given you heard the shots happen elsewhere before you saw the flash -

*record scratch*

>I hear, then see the gunfire
>I hear it before I see it
Which does not make sense. Was this the exact order of events? Physics. Light travels faster than sound. You should've seen the muzzle flash simultaneously with the bang, not heard it a split second before - not to mention you should've seen the red glow of the velocity javelin coming from wherever she was shooting at you, potential sick angling aside. But you didn't. Right?

If she did do both of those through paired portals, then for whatever reason - dimensional shenanigans - it sounds like there's a delay when she does. That could be how you kept reacting just in time. Your instincts screamed 'oh shit' at the sus noises, leaving you ready to veer. If this is right - stay on guard for this and dodge from wherever you are standing or heading. She can still just shoot you straight if you let her, mind. And she might move to that if she twigs you've caught on to this weakness.

>Second Armory door
Was this open earlier? Maybe she opened it with a wind portal and her gun cache is inside. Or levitated guns are waiting inside to shoot as you run past. If it is open, pop Pitch Prefect into it for the hell of it.
>>
No. 1067439 ID: 15a025
File 168886963621.png - (79.88KB , 1000x1000 , surprise.png )
1067439

I think we're going to have to psych her out here.

We need to make it look like we're running or going to blink, following the light blue path. In reality, we're going haul ass and blink following the dark blue path right into the ammo dump. This way we can better ambush her.
>>
No. 1067442 ID: 1371b2

If you’re hearing the shot before you see it that says to me the distance the shots must travel between portals is VERY far.
Which suggests delayed attacks-
She canon shot straight at you but portal trickery is much slower- slow enough to dodge if in neutral, so to speak:
The worry is that well.
If she’s going to go full-storm now is the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets aggressive and does her best to use portal shots to force you into the open where she can nail you. And it’s likely to be portal to smoke out or ambush, her shot as a finisher, if the portal shots must be slow.
>>
No. 1068883 ID: 78048b
File 169028778125.png - (354.78KB , 1000x1000 , sprintgine.png )
1068883

>So... did she not step through a portal?

That wasn't what I meant, whatever she's doing with them, she can't do it often or else she would've been using it from the start. There weren't any portals on the wall before I decked her into it, so she had to have made it there and then. She wouldn't have escaped in time otherwise.
The document we got on Mnemosyne's abilities said she still needs to actually make contact with a surface in order to create portals. Otherwise, she wouldn't have slammed right into the wall, she'd make a portal as she was sent flying towards it and get spit out somewhere safe.


>Could she be closing portals as she goes, gaining bandwidth to do more clever stunts with them?
Makes sense. It's smart too, set up traps with it early on like the floating guns, then as they're triggered, close the portals and now you've got more power for making portals late into the fight.
She wouldn't make traps like the floating guns if she couldn't close them at will, since then there'd be no guarantee that I'd be triggering them, making it a waste of energy.
Her document did say that automating the smaller portals is easy for her, but that doesn't mean they don't take up some of her 'capacity' to make portals.


>Outmaneuvering her might require both luck and a few traps of our own. Any chance we can get into (and out of) the ammo dump fast enough to set up a few surprises?
Dunno if I've got the time to set up traps, but an ambush may be safer. I'll bait her out.

>I think it might be good to use the pitch-prefect to throw a burning projectile down the hallway, making it look like we miss the shot and accidentally set the floor is on fire.
Even if the floor's on fire, she's not going to care all that much when she can fly. Given that she has wind powers, it could be bad for me, that she could blow the flames back at me.
That being said, remember that the Pitch prefect's got two functions I added onto it later - the 'Airburst' and the 'Extra Volatility', that allow me to detonate it midair, as well as have it catch fire when shot with conventional firearms.

I think if I airburst it, Mnemosyne will have a harder time avoiding the shot due to it covering a wide area midair.

>If you're hearing the projectiles before they can be seen, then that must mean there's a very long distance or delay with the attacks.
I think you're onto something here, Sykes. I said that if she could shoot me from below me all the time, she'd be doing it whenever she could.
So... for whatever reason, if she fires through her portals, she has to put them on a delay.
Given that attempts to send drones INTO her Protocosm has been unsuccessful, I get the feeling that she's doing something to make it so her bullets aren't blown off course by the winds inside of it.
Maybe it's also dependent on range? I've only been shot through a portal once so far, and that portal was close by to where Mnemosyne was slammed against a wall.

>We need to make it look like we're running or going to blink, following the light blue path. In reality, we're going haul ass and blink following the dark blue path right into the ammo dump. This way we can better ambush her.

Huh, nice map. Thanks, Sykes - I'll use this as a starting plan.

There's enough of this sitting and hiding. Stealth has never been a strong suit of mine, even if I've gotten training from Nickel.
I'm going on the move - with the Blink Capacitor in hand.
>>
No. 1068884 ID: 78048b
File 169028781441.png - (593.62KB , 1000x1000 , encounter.png )
1068884

I make it seem as if I'm running away from the Ammo Dump as I stomp towards Mnemosyne's previous location.

It only takes a moment.
Our eyes meet, guns in hand.
Gotta say, it's intimidating staring someone down when the other person has a bunch of guns floating around her like that.

The stirring of wind in the air, from both her gadget and her powers - I can't imagine what it would have been like, to face her down in different circumstances.

Unfortunately for her, I react faster than she can pull the triggers.
Just because she can make guns float doesn't mean they're automated.
>>
No. 1068885 ID: 78048b
File 169028784464.png - (401.95KB , 1000x1000 , grabthepetal.png )
1068885

The guns rotate toward me in an instant, but I'm ready for it.

The Blink Capacitor thrums with power - and I'm displaced.

Gunfire, missed bullets.
A before, and an after. Didn't Diagram describe using the gadget like skipping pages of a storybook before?
We're in the Ammo Dump and I'm thankfully unharmed.

I take only a brief moment to get my bearings, but...

Hey... wait a second.
This must be one of her weapon stashes, isn't there?
A couple of guns, the same type as the kind she had floating around her.
It's at least the
Dunno if we could use this against her or not, but we could gunk it up with the tar, deny her one more tool.

Huh.
There's a... red petal on top.

I go to touch it, and...
>>
No. 1068886 ID: 78048b
File 169028786535.png - (346.42KB , 1000x1000 , petal2.png )
1068886

It flickers.
It didn't even feel... real. More like a hologram.
I step back in case something happens. The moment passes. I'm fine.

But what the hell is that?
Egh. I don't have the time to figure this out. If things go well, I've got an ambush against her.
>>
No. 1068887 ID: 78048b
File 169028789237.png - (81.36KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree07.png )
1068887

>It wasn't really smart to touch something you guessed was part of her powers. What if it blew up or something?

Okay, I'll give you that one - but it would be odd if Mnemosyne had some kind of Pseudosignia that could do that. She doesn't strike me as someone with a lot of connections.
Still, being in the Ammo Dump for a prolonged period of time is going to be a bad idea. Stuff's volatile and while we've got some element of surprise on our side, I don't know how well our ploy worked. What's the next move?

We're almost good to go.
Sooner or later, we'll have an opportunity for me to bring out Guns Blazing. But which combination do you have in mind, Sykes?

Planning things out in advance makes it easier, I don't need to stop before hammering her with a faceful of lead.
I know the Wallflower has been our most destructive combination, but that's only going to be useful against big targets like Astrolysis.
When our opponent is as evasive as Mnemosyne, I doubt it'll be as effective as we'd want for it to be.
Plus, it's either going to break my arm again, or fry the Amp Rings if I use in tandem. Which I can't, because they're currently slotted into the Blink Capacitor.

Give me your suggestions.

Blink Capacitor's on cooldown until the next action.
>>
No. 1068890 ID: 473202

Pitch the guns. Pitch out the door, airburst it.

Follow on out right using the cover of the airburst (don’t step in pitch) and for Guns Blazing combine the shotgun and the sniper rifle or the pistols. She’s a wounded, possibly-stickied, flying dodgy girl - so fan the hammer and flak fire her down.

Air around you went a bit sparkly when you touched that petal. Some kinda SAI reaction? Maybe a memory. Maybe… Mnemosyne got some kinda SAI assistance thing going herself and that’s how she’s blocking the map?
>>
No. 1068911 ID: 273c18

>>1068885
Ah. I think that's a device she's using to keep track of winds inside the typhoon. She sent a bunch of petals inside that are tracked by some sort of computer, which allows her to precisely aim the path of a bullet through the winds. If we were to sabotage the computer she'd lose the ability to shoot through her portals.
Although... if that's true, why haven't we seen any petals coming out of the portals? Well... if they're holograms with a small physical component to them then I guess the computer could erase any petals that escape?

>Guns BLazing
Well we already did shotgun+pistol, and shotgun+rifle, why not try pistol+rifle? Although... you could use the blunderbuss again if you can get between her and the exit, to knock her further in while you get further out, and stun her at the same time which would give you the opportunity to ignite the ammo before she can portal out. Hmm, her being able to portal away really makes it difficult to get her caught in the blast at all doesn't it?

>what to do right now
We're in a precarious position. Defenses are down, she's about to get within line of sight, and there's no safe escape route. So, time to get creative. Aim a pitch prefect as she rounds the corner, positioned to knock her further inside the room. Not sure if you'd need to air burst it or not. You might need to knock over a table to have enough cover so she doesn't immediately fill you full of holes while she's rounding the corner and you're aiming the tar.
You should consider throwing a pitch prefect inside the room as well to get ammo cooking, though I'm not sure you have time to throw two. Maybe if you used a card?
Anyway once she's off balance you can go towards the exit she came in from, and pressure her so she has to go further into the room, which is of course a terrible place to be in at the moment.
>>
No. 1068919 ID: 273c18

Wait, you can use your tar without it exploding? I thought attaching explosive discs to the device guaranteed an explosion.

It might be nice to spread tar around all over the place in here, to get her stuck and prevent use of portals.
>>
No. 1068937 ID: e5709d

Right now, I expect your best option is to find some way to demolish the wall and bring it crashing down on Mnemosyne.

Grab a gun, stuff it in your hammerspace, then gunk up the rest if you can't parasignia them all.
>>
No. 1069297 ID: 15a025

Touching that petal might have gave away our location.

An interesting thought. Use your dead silence to set the table up like you'll use it for a shield. Let's make her think we're turtling up in here. Continue being silent and head north, and get ready to surprise her from the other side of the room, if time permits.
>>
No. 1070339 ID: 78048b
File 169231848256.png - (205.25KB , 1000x1000 , tabledown.png )
1070339

>The petals are little computer devices that help her keep track of her portals!
...Seems a bit overcomplicated. Wouldn't it be easier to say that they're tied to her Parasignia?
She's likely marking her gun collections somehow, so maybe this is how she grabs her guns from the other side of the portal.

>Grab the gun and stuff it into your hammerspace.
I take hold of one of them but something's off. Despite how hard I try it, it doesn't disassemble at all.

Hell. Am I not able to deconstruct stuff affected by other Parasignias?
I never got to try it, but if I grabbed Astrolysis' sword back then, I'd get nothing but my palms burned off.


>Tar up the guns.
Can do.
One shot's all I need - and the pile's all gunked up.

>You can use the Pitch Prefect (when there's the Explosive Discs slotted in) without it exploding?
Oh - damn it, I forgot to point out this change when I was doing tests last time.
Previously, it would explode instantly. I changed the formula so that it would explode when hit really hard or shot, so now when I've slotted the Explosive Discs in there, they'd go off harder. Dunno how my Parasignia accounts for it, but it would suck if I lost functionality after I made changes to the ammunition, right?
When I opened using it before, I figured that after the tar covers Mnemosyne and I strike her, I'd back off and the resulting explosion would do even more damage. Didn't work out, considering Cold War froze the tar and rendered it unable to explode when when I hit it pretty hard.


>Find some way to demolish the wall and send it crumbling down on Mnemosyne
That's going to crush me as well while I'm at it, but I think it isn't going to work when she can portal herself out of situations.

>An interesting thought. Use your dead silence to set the table up like you'll use it for a shield. Let's make her think we're turtling up in here. Head north, and get ready to surprise her from the other side of the room.

Setting up the tables for a second ambush... perfect.
It'll take just a sec.

An ambush inside of the ammo dump's begging for trouble, but I'm wanting to close this fight out.

It's simple:
I set the tables up as if I'm hunkering down, then airburst a tar shot to bait her in.
>>
No. 1070340 ID: 78048b
File 169231850320.png - (438.11KB , 1000x1000 , gunsup1.png )
1070340

I move to the north side of the room. The trick won't last too long, but it'll buy me a few seconds.


But before I start... I'll prepare myself.

>Combine your pistols and the sniper rifle.
Never thought I'd have to do this while trying not to be seen.

I'll keep it on the down-low.
It's not mandatory to say the name of my 'signia, but it makes it a bit more intuitive. Like counting the pages of an instruction manual as you try to find the right one.


I focus, the Sound and the Fury floating out from their holsters and taking their place beside me. The rifle in my hands feels weightier.
>>
No. 1070341 ID: 78048b
File 169231852908.png - (917.40KB , 1000x1000 , gunsup2.png )
1070341

[Ignition Complex].

The glow radiates, but gives off no light.

[Guns Blazing].
>>
No. 1070342 ID: 78048b
File 169231856743.png - (686.85KB , 1000x1000 , gunsblazingvolvers.png )
1070342

Two new guns.
Another set of weaponry that needs a name.


How's about...

Outcast and Downcast?
Goes without saying but if Nickel was wired a bit different, I imagine the two of us could be good friends. As it is, she wouldn't be too much of a chatterbox.
But the two of us are pretty alike. That's how it is down here in Site 70, huh.

Haven't used weapons with barrels these long in a while. Audacious considering how quiet Nickel is.
Reminds me of one of those films where two people with revolvers of their own duke it out.
High velocity, medium range.
And these won't break my arms either.
Perfect.
>>
No. 1070343 ID: 78048b
File 169231859336.png - (810.52KB , 1000x1000 , claypigeons.png )
1070343

Time to get the plan rolling.
With a quick flick of the wrist, I fire and airburst one of the Pitch Prefect's shots, inevitably alerting Mnemosyne in the process.
Three shots left.

I'm hunkered down at the north.

The whirring of a hoverpack makes her presence obvious, but any pretense of stealth is long gone.

She aims, firing a salvo with her array of floating guns.
They obliterate the table in seconds.

I shoot, aiming each shot toward her guns, breaking them in the process.

Mnemo reacts, the shattered gun parts falling to the floor as I see new guns drop in from telltale portals, forming a new set.

I smirk as I hear the slimy click of a non-functioning gun.

This time, I aim for her head.
But then I see them flying toward me.

Shots whistle through the air, adjusting my aim.
They crunch against the tarred up metal before bursting aflame, breaking apart from the sheer force of the bullets.
>>
No. 1070344 ID: 78048b
File 169231866054.png - (729.48KB , 1000x1000 , throughthesmoke.png )
1070344

I grit my teeth.
Seriously? She's using her own guns as temporary shields now?

I keep firing, reloading one gun as I fire the other.
More guns fly towards me - and more are shattered.
Together, they combust in a single moment and block my vision.

There's a telltale, wet collision as some of my shots finds its mark.
She emerges from the smoke, another few stripes added to her facepaint.
>>
No. 1070345 ID: 78048b
File 169231868398.png - (538.66KB , 1000x1000 , chokehold.png )
1070345

But she doesn't stop.
Whether aided by her winds or her hoverpack, she ducks, pivots and swerves behind me.
I feel a tight grip around my neck.

In one flowing motion, she somehow managed to put me into a chokehold!
"Got you."

"What?!"
She's - she's not even trying to grab onto my shirt, she's grappling me entirely!

"Get off!"
I kick at her but her grip is bloody tight, even after I put a shot through her shoulder!
>>
No. 1070346 ID: 78048b
File 169231870611.png - (107.20KB , 1000x1000 , SecurityMapThree08.png )
1070346

The right choice here is to use the training Nickel gave me - to Break from her grasp and reassert myself.
But I don't know what she's thinking, playing the close-up game when I've got a sword on me.

There's a solid chance that she's playing a trick on me as well.
My gadgets are off cooldown, but at this proximity, she could also try to stop me from making a getaway.
>>
No. 1070347 ID: bdebf4

What ever you do please remember to dismember her, a missing limb will greatly limit tactical options.
>>
No. 1070348 ID: 3ed3c3

Gun to her elbow.
BLOW HER FUCKING ARM OFF
>>
No. 1070349 ID: 8f9bc4

She's lining you up for a shot. Where are her guns?
>>
No. 1070353 ID: 4ccaad

>>1070345
roll forwards or fall back onto her. fuck up her shot, fuck up her balance, AND pin her before you break this hold.
>>
No. 1070355 ID: 273c18

>>1070346
There's two reasons she could be doing this: 1, she's going to shoot you with a floating gun, or 2, she's going to try to bring you with her when she does that portal trick, whatever it is.

You could try to blink away but she's probably prepared for that. Manifest Plug and stab it backwards into her; that'll be faster than pulling out a gadget. If you see something nasty coming that you can definitely blink away from or use the shield to guard, go ahead.
>>
No. 1070363 ID: 1e39e4

Perhaps since she grabbed un-oiled skin/fur she's going for the instakill. Shoot her arm with pitch. Probably good to bust out that 3 move card too so you have several chances to flip this. Several plans she might have, so it'd even the odds.
>>
No. 1070368 ID: 1371b2

No games-wait-
Did she see you had a sword? Does she know?
Because if she doesn’t know then you can just shank her in the face right now and win.
I am more partial to that then getting thrown into a fake portal and getting turned into confetti!
>>
No. 1070369 ID: e5709d

The main reason standard training discourages countering a chokehold with your gun is because you run the very serious risk of the attacker redirecting your aim and you shooting yourself in the face.

But that risk isn't so serious for you, is it.
Pull out a shotgun and BLAST AWAY!

If you want to be subtle, pretend you're still trying to pull her off with one hand and aim the gun at her groin.
>>
No. 1070371 ID: f8083d

Can't let her pin you. You've got to move, preferably trying to bump her against walls or furniture, while you retrieve a pistol.
>>
No. 1070382 ID: f14228

>"Got you."
DEPLOY FROZENEYE

If you can't figure out what she's trying to do with THAT advantage, I suggest you just pitch her up. Doesn't matter if you get any on yourself, or if you stick yourselves together, just pour it on, gunk up her helmet and arms, the hoverpack if you can cover it. Just limit her mobility and stop her from disrupting you using your guns or gadgets - the tar being a liquid of sorts is gonna mess with her ability to form portals.

With her restricted and tarred up, you can try to Blink out of her chokehold and once you're clear or she's flinched away (or the tar alights, by your design or hers) trigger Cold War to extinguish / remove any pitch from yourself.

Flame for thee, but not for me.
>>
No. 1070443 ID: 15a025

She definitely has something lined up or aiming right at you. Break out of that choke hold, blink due west on the map towards that hallway there and continue to unload shots at her.
>>
No. 1070446 ID: 273c18

>>1070382
Shit you're right this is exactly the right time to use Frozeneye.
>>
No. 1070453 ID: 4481aa

Frozeneye definitely is the way to go. Use it to help seal the deal.
>>
No. 1070455 ID: e5709d

>>1070382
>>1070446
>>1070453
FFFfine use the damn card, it's not like you're going to keep a magical deck consisting of the only remains of a previous hero out on your adventures... *grumble*
>>
No. 1072002 ID: 78048b
File 169422030773.png - (486.58KB , 1000x1000 , fallingin.png )
1072002

>Spend a card!

>Cut her arm off!
I can't use these options when she's got a hold on me like that! She's not going to just let me get away with reaching down for a tool!

The sword, however...

>Flip her forwards!

I jolt forwards, suddenly swinging my weight, along with Mnemosyne in front of me.

I expect her to fall forwards - but instead, she floats.
I can feel a strong blast of wind - she activated her hoverpack even in that position?

We meet, eye to eye.
"See you soon."

What the hell does that mean?!

There's a faint glow under me, and...
I lose my footing, a windy crevice opening right below me.
>>
No. 1072003 ID: 78048b
File 169422053449.png - (489.01KB , 1000x1000 , falling.png )
1072003

I'm... falling.

Moments after crossing the threshold, I can feel wind blasting against me.
But in spite of that, I'm still falling down.
The atmosphere around me spins - and it's hard to even tell what's up or down.

Even if I had the Blink Capacitor on hand, I wouldn't be able to aim it properly!
But for some reason, my fall slows - like the air itself was cushioning me.
>>
No. 1072004 ID: 78048b
File 169422055184.png - (645.39KB , 1000x1000 , softlanding.png )
1072004

Moments later, my landing is surprisingly soft as I'm dropped like a brick onto some flowers.

I only take a moment to reorient myself - but no attacks, no traps go off.
This place... I've never seen anywhere like it.
A faint, pleasant scent lingers in the air.
>>
No. 1072005 ID: 78048b
Audio Mnemosyne_FinalPhase_Kaine_Salvation.mp3 - (3.83MB )
1072005


Mnemosyne Final Phase

Title: Kaine Salvation

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=aeSuPOLMKBvyXosk&v=Gibu0sJQwkM&feature=youtu.be


>>
No. 1072006 ID: 78048b
File 169422061506.png - (626.00KB , 1000x1000 , staredownamidstflowers.png )
1072006

...It's full of flowers swaying in the wind.
Occasionally, a petal drifts onto my bloodstained coat.

Despite there being some wind, I don't hear it.
In fact... this whole place is quiet. Peaceful, even. I can barely hear myself breathe.
Though I can see flashes of light in the distance, there's no thunder.

Mnemosyne stands in the distance...
In one sweep of the arm, she tosses her shattered helmet away.
>>
No. 1072007 ID: 78048b
File 169422063587.png - (669.66KB , 1000x1000 , mnemosignia.png )
1072007

It's odd - Mnemosyne's not even armed, but as we lock gazes, a strange feeling comes over me.

This place feels... familiar, in a different sense.
I'm reminded of that grave above, with the flowers all around her.

"This world of mine... it's always felt nostalgic, even though I've only had it for a short time."
Her voice rings through the silence, causing me to tense up.

She'd barely spoken a whole sentence during this whole fight.

"Armintell. He was one of the first people to welcome me into this world. We used to spar with one-another, then laugh about it outside. Picnics. At a blacksite."

Reminiscing, huh?
I don't have much to reminisce over, but there's something about this...

"Do you think about your purpose, Argine? As a soldier? What were you made for?"
...

I still have my guns. I could shoot her right now if I wanted, but...
The atmosphere feels different. I've got all the gadgets, cards and guns I could need right now against an injured opponent.
But somehow, that doesn't feel right.
>>
No. 1072008 ID: 3ed3c3

Let me answer your question with another question: What use is a sword in a world of plowshares?
Let's say I do get out. I get out, and the whole world is wrong for me.
Either I'm outdated and no longer suitable for the purpose I was created, or I'm too much, a walking, talking war crime unfit for the battlefield.
It's an ironic sort of Hell for people like us. But staying here is worse. Here, we're as good as buried. This place is a mass grave just waiting for us to rot, a scrap pile for us to rust on.
So, there we are. Either we stay here, corpses in denial, or we go out and accept our impotence.
Are we fighting for anything? Or do we need the distraction?
I don't even know anymore.
>>
No. 1072009 ID: 918cdb

I knew it, she acquired a pseudosignia from he time Armintell and now she can teleport in and out of this pocket dimension at will.
Be on your guard, this whole place may be hostile, andMnemosyne might use it to her advantage while you answer her question.

Speaking of which:
"That's what I want to find out. I was created as a sendoff to a war that had already ended, where almost nobody remained alive to tell of it. A simple goodbye to an ugly weapons project from an ugly nation.

I fear a cage. To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.

I want to do something that matters, something that changes things for good. To be a force for good. Someone who will be remembered.

But most of all,

I want to be seen."
>>
No. 1072010 ID: 4481aa

If she wants to talk, then talk. Don't drop your guard, but it's not like you can hide right now. May as well converse.

You've probably thought about your purpose more than anyone. While they all get to leave and try to live up to whatever they're here for, you've been trapped inside, either waiting or trying to force the next day to be the one where you finally get to live up to your potential.

Everyone else seems to think they know your purpose better than you do. The people running this place, Ozone, Jin, fuck them. Always insisting that they know better, that you're not good enough, and that you should just keep your head down until *they* think you're ready for whatever it is they might want to use you for. Your "purpose" was apparently failed from the moment that you came out worse than Jin. She fit what they were looking for, and you were just leftover scraps.

So fuck them, and fuck what they want. Their intentions and desires stopped mattering the minute they stopped giving a shit about you. Your only purpose is what you say your damn purpose is, and that's to get the hell out of here and be a hero.

Because that's what you want to do, and you don't need a better reason than that.
>>
No. 1072011 ID: 273c18

>>1072007
Eye of the storm. Of course there'd be one.

>doesn't feel right
Trust your feelings. This place is personal to her, to the one she loved. Show her the respect you know she deserves.

Tell her you want to be a hero, to save people, and be celebrated for it. After living your life in your sister's shadow, you want to be in the spotlight. To get the recognition you deserve.

Tell her you're sorry about what happened to Armintell.
>>
No. 1072012 ID: e5709d

>Engram
...oh.
Argine, she's going to attack you with constructs of the past.
Not sure how thermodynamics is fueled by illusions, but whatever.

>Why
"I was made because people put their heart and soul into making the right women. But my whole life, I've never known what those women were supposed to do, or if I'd agree with their definition of 'right'. I can not find those answers in this prison, where the trauma that keeps you shackled also gives you the power to shackle everyone else. And I'm sick of you trying to convince me that I can.

My purpose is to do what's right. My will is to observe and decide what 'right' truly means."
>>
No. 1072026 ID: 2bd3eb

>>1072007
(to remember the basics of cqc, big boss)
>>
No. 1072029 ID: 1371b2

This…Might be not the sort of answer either of you want but…
Your parasignia is infinite potential, a forge that absorbs ideas and makes them reality.

Well, Firstborn here is a force of nature, a literally Tempestuous force of destruction, that’s had the time and skill to learn to focus and channel herself down from unleashing tornadoes into something far more controlled.
But…
I think a thing about Parasignias is not just the base power.
It’s the abilities that surround them. The Pseudosignias that alter and amplify them.
That frozen gun from earlier is a Pseudosignia from Judicaim, as you might have guessed. It’s the option to destroy things…
And it’s a game-changer, especially one I really start playing with it, but this place…
A part of me can’t help but look at this literal eye of the storm and boggle at what it unlocks for you. Your portals are transportation thanks to this safe zone, a home and safety even in the most terrible of battlefields…The ability to instantly relocate like our blink capcitator, but probably with even less limits. And if I recall, she can scale up her portals very large, large enough to dump Ozone’s biggest tanks into this place…But that…How to put it….
I, or rather, this unit within Skyes, would like to ask that we not bring war here, to this place of solace and peace. And yes, it could be argued that Mnemosyne brought us here, true, but…
This place is sacred. And this then, becomes to the truth of this conflict.
The Ammo depot removed the option to go full collateral damage. This, is the atrocity we could create. Desecration, Warcrimes, attacking non combatants…
And on the other side…Anything to win.
And we were just wielding flame-throwers, to bring that here, into a field of flowers…This isn’t fighting a veteran, it’s murdering a maiden.
It’s a question of if we can win…Without torching a young girl’s dreams.
>>
No. 1072053 ID: 15a025

"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It's what you chose to do with the gift of life that matters."

We do not want to stay locked away, endlessly training for a future that might not even come. We want to get out and do something with what time we have before the cold fate that awaits us all comes.
>>
No. 1072061 ID: f14228

>Mnemosyne didn't strike me as a person who likes to talk during combat anyway, seems too professional for that.
>"When we fight, I hope it's an honourable one."
Harken back to your own assessment and Mnemosyne's words. As long as she is talking and you're not actively threatening her? I want to say you should be safe.

>Inside the Quiet
Engram Fields. Perhaps here Mnemosyne can manifest memories as if real? The flowers seem like they'd be from the field where she used to train with Armintell. More worrying, even if you can pull off a successful win in here - how are you gonna get out? You may want to just engage in conversation and see where it leads.

(Is there a map - and anything on it? Are there any SAI signals? Is that portal still open in the distance?)

>Do you think about your purpose, Argine? As a soldier? What were you made for?
'Yes, duh' seems like the too-easy answer, but we should reflect a bit further on this. This is a very deliberate question. What's Mnemosyne getting at? The fact you'll have to kill, as a soldier? Armintell may have died in her arms, so she might be testing whether you're too blase about the losses of life involved in your job of choice.

But, like, your sense of purpose comes in part from your upbringing, right? A soldier was raised, so a soldier they got - if a rebellious one. If they wanted to raise you different they could've done something like what was done with Diagram, read you fairy tales or whatever. Tried, at least. But they didn't, so you are part who you are because of the legacy of Site 70. And since you display less of (or, well, none of) the inherited memories others do, your experiences in Site 70 may have played a bigger role in defining you.

You got plenty self-determination though, a very personal sense of purpose. You want to make something else of yourself, put your abilities and training to "good" use. Despite your fears, you got some mad serious skills and you should know it. I think you'd want to work in a way that gives that validation and soldiering, especially with the heroic legends you were raised on, has just seemed like THE calling for you. Even if it's not something - as Nanoweaver has emphasized - that you'd have to do out there beyond the Nexus Weave.

You've certainly had your rough times - and while those may pale compared to the shit others here went through, and while not all the negatives ere what you thought they were, like with Judy, it has still given you a deep desire to prove your worth.

A part that seems very uniquely 'you' lies in your tinkering and gadgeteering. Taking things apart, making sense of them and putting them together again, often in cooler ways, is something you actively enjoy, are good at and could maybe find worth in outside the whole soldier purpose thing. Thinking about it, maybe you should figure out if crafting gadgets and whatnot for others feels fulfilling? There are a lot of people here you'll not be seeing again once you leave... perhaps something unique to remember you by will be worth passing along.

>Counter question
Ask her if she's found a reason to hate you yet. If so - what is it? If not - what's keeping her in the fight?
>>
No. 1072219 ID: 34a1b1

She lowered her weapons, and isn't threatening you. You aren't going to drop your guard, but it's only respectful of your opponent to respect that they just want to talk, to ask what it's really about.

Think about it for a second. You are a weapon. Do you think they'll let you go if your answer to every problem is to blow someone up? You want to escape but there's no war out there you're preparing for, it's the opposite. You are only proving that once you get out, you'll be the most dangerous thing anywhere out there.

An appropriate test for a monster waiting to happen is to get them good and worked up, angry from being hurt, adrenaline pumping because they are winning, and then ask them to stop and talk.

You want to leave. Are you going to go looking for trouble? Start fights? Become a rebel, challenge the status quo, make noise and become a household name. How far are you willing to go to prove yourself?

If getting out means a life of boring servitude, using your insane gifts and the ease with which you master skills to... design better gadgets, or build things, something that will be useful to a peaceful society not at war.

If you wanted to be a hero but found villains lacking, would humbly accept a job with law enforcement?

Argine, the reason they are so reticent about you leaving, is that you are a hothead who wants to be acknowledged for their greatness. Most civilizations aren't fans of vigilantes, revolutionaries, and others who do violence, even if it's for the right reasons. Also generally not fans of murderous psychopaths, or sociopathic tyrants. Not saying you are one of those, just that as powerful as you already are you could become that way.

Now having briefly reflect all those things about yourself, you have an opponent before you. You can defeat them with violence, but if you defeat them with words it'll help you in another battle.
>>
No. 1073177 ID: 78048b
File 169565556995.png - (734.93KB , 1000x1000 , fistsup.png )
1073177

>This is an opportunity to talk.
>Show her the respect you know she deserves.

Sure. Let's talk, then.

"Been doin' a lot of thinking since I was locked in here with all of you", I start.
"Can't say that this hasn't been valuable. But why talk now? Plenty of time to do that after swappin' blows."


"Lessons taught are less effective without context."

She looks off into the distance at the swirling clouds and wind.
"This is the first time someone has pushed me to this extent since I gained this power."

Good to know that I'm doing well.

Silence hangs over the two of us as we stand there.
More time to ponder.

>Do you think they'll let you go if your answer to every problem is to blow someone up? You are only proving that once you get out, you'll be the most dangerous thing anywhere out there.
Hah. Like that's true. From what I've heard from other Trace Clones, the ones who actually got to leave?
We're hired as mercenaries.
Turns out there's a lotta demand for people who can get blown up and shrug it off, even when everyone's cushioned by their Parasignias out there.
Even that crazy pink bitch who blew herself up got hired, along with her two friends.

There's conflict, war out there.
It's just that the one we got made for's no longer relevant.
Peace reigns, above all the pain that the 'normal' folk don't see, and we're the ones who help it along.

>She acquired a Pseudosignia from her time with Armintell!

...Is that something possible? He's dead, isn't he? Maybe it's her memories of him instead...
But I don't think a Pseudosignia alone would lead to the creation of a whole world like this.

Whatever this is, I can feel my fur tingle on end. The whole place feels like what happens when other people's Parasignias resonate with mine.
I feel empowered but at the same time... it's like I've got a hundred eyes on me. Maybe it's because I'm INSIDE her Parasignia or something. Whatever it is.


"Have you figured out your answer? What would you be if you had another choice, Argine?"
The question catches me by surprise, breaking the flow of my thoughts.

"I... what do you mean, another choice?"
She gestures up, towards the swirling storm in the distance.

"Another choice of lifestyle, Argine. Years of training have instilled in us one, and the memories we possess grant us so many skills that we only need training to further nurture. For most, it was learned. For us, it was innate. But what if you had a choice?"

...I probably shouldn't mention that my memories come from someone a little... different.
But honestly, I'm not sure I'd have taken another route.

>Maybe you should figure out if crafting gadgets for others feels fulfilling?
Maybe.
Diagram's got the trust to do that.
But who's to say that they're not gonna use the stuff I make for worse purposes? When it gets out there, it's out there. I don't have control over it anymore.
At least, in my hands, I'll be using them in a way that I believe to be right. Doesn't mean other people have to agree, but it's something.

>If there were no villains to fight, would you be interested in law enforcement?
I don't know if it's like how it's cracked up to be out there, but I've got issues with that. What happens when a problem needs action now, but due to all the bureaucracy, shit doesn't get done?

More work, more pain, more destruction.
I've spent all my life listening to orders and that hasn't paid off.
Risking it, trusting my intuition... that's how I'll roll.
Even if it's a mistake I make... that's MY mistake to make. I want to be a hero of my own actions, not a slave to someone else's rules.

I'm gonna be a bloody hero that everyone will know.
And I'll have done so through my own strength, not climbing the ranks of some irrelevant social ladder.

I've got my answer.

"I'd still fight. If we're given a purpose, there's nothing saying that we can't lean into it. Take it for a drive, see how far we get. Tools are meant to be used, but I think I'm most comfortable when I'm controlling myself."

I raise my fists.
>>
No. 1073178 ID: 78048b
File 169565561426.png - (279.47KB , 1000x1000 , mnemohand2.png )
1073178

>Everyone else seems to think they know your purpose better than you do.
Yeah.
At least when you talk to me, Sykes, you're giving me something to think about. That deserves acknowledgement.

"So, I've got a question for you. Why fight to keep me here? It ain't because you all seriously think there's something wrong with me, is there? You wouldn't need a whole tournament to figure that out, if it's even true."

I stand my ground, looking her in the eye. Then, she speaks.

"Would you believe it was on your sister's insistence?"

...

...She was the one who had this planned out?

All those failed escapes, humiliations, all the blood I shed getting here?
They were because of her?
...
"To be honest, I do not understand her obsession. I found it hard to move on myself, and yet... you are still here."

Her fist clenches tighter.
"Perhaps she's trying to stop herself from making a mistake like I had in the past. I cannot blame her - and I admit, I was curious. Morbidly so."

I can see the wind gather around her fist, then dissipate.
"I fought to protect people. I no longer have anyone I truly wish to protect."

The storm flashes in the background, a faint light through the clouds.
"I am tired of weapons. Of fighting pointless battles over and over to prepare for something that came after my original purpose. I have no interest in becoming a mercenary like the others."

She holds herself stiffly, like every movement is laborious.
"In a way, this is the closest thing to closure I can get. I am sorry."

I breathe in.
No. I'll save my anger for her, not Mnemosyne.
In a way, Mnemo's another victim of this place. Just like me.

"You and me both. Let's call it a spar, then. We can fight for ourselves, with nothing but ourselves. How's that sound?"

She nods, the cold look in her eyes unchanging.
Sparring, huh.
Been a long time since I even fought someone like this without it feeling like I'm getting my teeth kicked in.
Fist to fist, against someone who doesn't tower above me.

And I'm going to win this.
>>
No. 1073179 ID: 78048b
File 169565563035.png - (560.55KB , 1000x1000 , grownalone.png )
1073179

A burst of petals - and she vanishes.

I'm left alone in the quiet field of flowers, as I maintain my stance.
The stinging pains of my injuries fade back into the background.

You know...
A strange sense of focus settles in.
I'm at a disadvantage, in a field of flowers whose properties are all but unknown to me.
But I don't feel any fear at all.

I know what I have to do, and I can take a good guess at what she's doing.

I'm betting she's going to appear behind me, but - we're going to need a strategy.
No cards, no gadgets, no guns.
It's only fair - if this is her world, she would have easily annihilated me.
Luckily for me, we're in a tournament.
I'd be dead if we weren't.

I'm going to want to cover my options, as I don't know her limitations.
>Do we have a map?
We don't need one when I know she's going to have to get near me in order to make me lose.
I don't think she'd do something like flinging me out using her portals, because I get the impression that she wants to make the most of this opportunity.

Question is, how am I going to cover every angle of attack?
>>
No. 1073180 ID: bcde53

Just run forwards? Hitting yer behind while it's moving is tough. Juke randomly and she'd have to get lucky to get ya on the side too. Just be ready if she goes frontal.
>>
No. 1073182 ID: b6ec4d

Call her out on her BS of "Nothing but ourselves" before immediately taking advantage of her parasignia's powers for stealth, and see if she agrees wnough to step out into the open for a more honest fight. She probably won't, but it's worth trying at least.

As for how to cover every angle, try moving around and incorporating spins into your movements. Something like Baguazhang if you're familiar with that form of martial arts. This won't prevent her from being able to land an attack, but it raises your odds of her attacking from an easier to block angle.

As for the flowers, maybe those are all she can see while vanished as she currently is, and can judge loosely where you are based on which flowers are disturbed? Try tossing some clothing or equipment (nothing that she can use against you though) nearby, and see if that throws off her reading of your location.
>>
No. 1073227 ID: f14228

>"This is the first time someone has pushed me to this extent since I gained this power."
Hm. She won't have trained this on live people before, at least.

>How am I going to cover every angle of attack?
If her control remains partially subconscious... look or feel for tells. Maybe swaying flowers from otherwise invisible air currents to indicate she's about to close in through whatever illusory effect - or a portal's opened. You could pretend not to see or sense this and counter or grab her the moment she strikes. Options are headshots, the exposed chest, wounded arm or calf, or her jetpack if you can fuck that one up. Keep in mind she might still be flying - no guarantee she'll attack you from angles a ground-based sparring opponent might.

If there are no tells, try to become a hard target in general until her methods of attack is revealed. Apply the principles of your Blood Circle training as if you were fighting a phantom foe, but toss in random directional changes, circling, backtracking to lessen her invisibility/portaling/home field advantage.

Note that she may attack your side, as your wound probably provides a handy weak point. If she can come from nowhere to stun you with pain, or worsen the damage, that'd seem like her go-to play. If that's true - well, you know where a part of her will be.

Spar rules are 'till yield or KO, yes?

>As for the flowers, maybe those are all she can see while vanished as she currently is, and can judge loosely where you are based on which flowers are disturbed? Try tossing some clothing or equipment (nothing that she can use against you though) nearby, and see if that throws off her reading of your location.
Hm. She did use a petal to 'bookmark' her gunpile earlier. That said, she did not appear to realize Argine had messed with her guns, since she tried to shoot with them despite them being tarred, so the sensory angle may not be entirely correct either.

Maybe the flowers are like... quick travel portal points? She did vanish in a burst of petals there.
>>
No. 1073234 ID: 273c18

She went invisible? Either she portaled out using her parasignia or she has Nickel's pseudosignia. Hmm, yeah, I could see the two of them as friends.
Well, if your 'signias are fair play in this fight, you still have that freezing pseudosignia.

To cover all angles you can plan to duck and sweep. It's a wide attack that can be adjusted to hit any direction.
>>
No. 1073237 ID: 2bd3eb

>>1073179
she can control wind, which means she may be able to control sound if she focuses. be cautious of trusting your ears, focus on what you can see.
>>
No. 1073668 ID: 15a025

Keep focused to your surroundings, but don't panic about not seeing her. Pay attention to the direction of the wind, or any feelings of it blowing around.
>>
No. 1073712 ID: 34a1b1

This is tough. A spar is what you want, I think... regardless of what happens, this is a victory, because when it's done you'll have common ground with your foe, and mutual respect.

I think to win, you have to think like she is. She's spent all this time setting you up for ambushes, trying to give herself an advantage, lure you into traps, and you beat that by being incredibly aggressive out of the gates, then switching it up when she started accounting for that, only to go back on the aggression when she realized the tone had changed.

That's what's won you this advantage. Now you are in her territory without an idea what her capabilities here are. We can assume she's going to attempt something that would be a counter to whatever you do. Wherever your attention goes, the attack will come from whatever is the best angle of attack on your blindside. Just think about what you'd do if you could disappear and reappear. IF you could blink infinitely, you would disappear to somewhere where you can see your opponent, watch long enough to judge an opening, and then strike them on their blindside.

I'm not sure how subtle her ability is, if there are tell tale signs, rushes of wind, sound, a discharge of energy. Just remember, when that presence is felt, the attack will come from your blindside.
>>
No. 1073713 ID: 34a1b1

Oh, and clearly she doesn't really want to be here anymore. If when you get to know her a bit personally and you find you don't dislike her, you might wanna ask her to go with you, just because she kind of shares some of your own disdain for this place and life.
>>
No. 1074761 ID: 78048b
File 169732436177.png - (656.62KB , 1000x1000 , legsweep.png )
1074761

>Call her out on her hypocrisy.


Even if I'm at a disadvantage, I don't see a problem with this.
Our Parasignias ARE a part of ourselves. Hell, it's literally stopped me from dying from a bullet to the face before.

I'm going to beat her regardless.
And besides... she's not the only one with a Pseudosignia here.

>Ask if she wants to come with you.

Honestly, I figured that when this tournament is done, everyone's gonna be leaving when I leave.
No reason staying if I'm not around, right?
Just gotta make that happen first.

There's sound like the air's getting sucked out right in front of me.
Nice of her to provide a tell.

I duck down, her hands slicing through the air as it narrowly misses my neck.

Tch. That was a close one.

I sweep my leg out, ready to catch her mid-swing, and I feel the hit connect.
She stumbles, and I'm ready to seize the opportunity.
>>
No. 1074762 ID: 78048b
File 169732439363.png - (645.32KB , 1000x1000 , leggrap.png )
1074762

Though I go for a followup, I miss as she drops down, falling into the floor.

Gah! I'm so close to taking her down!

>I think to win, you have to think like she does.

Think like she does...
I don't know all the limitations to her abilities, but..

>She may be able to control sound. Focus on what you can see.
Yeah. Right now, that's all I CAN do. But with these many flowers around, it isn't as if it's easy to see her actual exit and entry points.

I keep my distance from where she disappeared, waiting for her next attempt.
Without getting any strikes in, we won't win either.

>She used her petals to bookmark her gunpiles earlier, right?
Yeah, and given that she didn't realize they were tarred up, she likely can't see what's on the other end or feel it.

Then, I feel a tight grip around my ankle.
I'm forced to the ground in an instant, and it almost feels like my foot's stuck in mud.
>>
No. 1074763 ID: 78048b
File 169732441615.png - (895.99KB , 1000x1000 , sternumpawnch.png )
1074763

Her grip loosens before I see her popping out in front of me.
A fist slams against me, just below the ribs.

Ah-

For a moment, I can't tell what's up or down.

I think rib's been cracked.
Once again, I feel a tight grip on my leg.
I topple forwards, my knees digging into the flowers and the dirt.
She releases her grip and once again, she disappears.
My head's a centimeter away from the flowers, filling my vision with red.

Her grip loosens, and for a moment, I have a second to breathe.

There's not long before her next strike.
When she pulls me down, she has to reposition herself somehow.
I was able to catch her out last time, but she was able to get away just in time.
She can't be in two places at once either... whenever she goes for a strike, she can to come out of her portals fully.

If I catch her...
If I can just catch her off guard once more without her getting away, I can finish her off.
That's all I need, but what can I do?
>>
No. 1074767 ID: 5deda1

Grapple. She goes for a punch, grab her wrist and redirect her strike. Such a grip should let you get behind her where you have options. Personal favorite? Grab her head and twist til her neck snaps.
>>
No. 1074768 ID: f14228

I told you, you would know where she'll be by where she'll strike. The footgrab was to set up for the wound punch. The wound punch was logical to get you to where you're now, kneeling, dazed, in pain. A setup for a finisher. She knows she can't stay in close melee with you for long. You've already shown her why.

Where would one strike to finish this, on an enemy in this position? From what direction would she imagine herself safest to strike decisively?

The head? Surely. A hard blow - a kick at speed. From your blind spot - behind you or above you. She would not want you to have details of her coming and react in the split second.

Throw yourself backwards - let her strike glance past. Grab something as she goes and cling to it. Her body is her weapon now, and she used her Pseudosignia to full advantage. Your path is obvious. It's what she feared.

Hug her tight and make her blood run cold.
>>
No. 1074779 ID: 15a025

Gonna agree that she's going to for your face next. Think about it, wherever the head goes, the rest of the body follows. A powerful strike to the head and you're down and out.
>>
No. 1074792 ID: e5709d

Grab a flower, throw it in her face.
>>
No. 1075776 ID: 3ea497

Get up. Keep your ears peeled for the sucking sound of a portal opening. Put one arm over your head, one over the torso. Mind both everything immeadiatedly above and below you.

She might especially try to strike you from above.
>>
No. 1076893 ID: 78048b
File 169957782195.png - (477.86KB , 1000x1000 , grabbedthrough.png )
1076893

>Where would an opponent strike to finish you off?

The head.
I see the attack coming, just barely.
She's like a blur when she emerges, but the telltale sound of the portal opening gives her away in this quiet place.
I duck, but as she sails over me - this time, I borrow one of her tricks.

I grab onto her leg as she attempts to fall into her field of flowers and I find myself carried in, the portal spitting both of us out at high velocity.
>She may try to strike you from above!
Even if she can't make portals on air, it seems momentum still carries over. It's the opposite of the Blink Capacitor - she retains her speed through her portals.

Mnemosyne can feel my weight threatening to dislocate her leg. Hah.
Too bad she's probably never experienced anything like this before.
Lets turn the tables on her.

We're carried into the sky by the unnatural momentum. Like this, she's not going to be able to correct her angle or make a soft landing.

She tries to throw me off - but, like this? You're gonna have to pry my bloody hands off yourself. It's not like she has a chance considering how disorienting it is, trying to pry someone off of you while tumbling through the sky.
Neither of us had been trained for mid-air combat. Who could blame her? She's used to using it as a vantage point, a strategy only she can bear.
But I twist myself around as both of us plummet through the eye of the storm.
>>
No. 1076894 ID: 78048b
File 169957783788.png - (796.98KB , 1000x1319 , comeonandslam.png )
1076894

The air blows past us as we fall through the windless sky.

I let the momentum carry her. I've already chosen a new direction for us.
I can feel her fist striking at my face, my chest.
Doesn't matter though.
She can't make portals instantly under herself - I already learned that from before.

Now, I'm the one pushing her away.
I thrust out my palm, a chill wrapping itself around my arm.
We collide with the field of flowers, a harsh layer of ice forming on her body.
>>
No. 1076895 ID: 78048b
File 169957785475.png - (1.80MB , 1000x1000 , dunked.png )
1076895

Cracks spread across growing ice as I hold her there, the impact shaking both of us to our cores.
The field of flowers are engulfed by a layer of frost, thick enough that escape would be difficult.
My arm stings, and in the corner of my eye, I can see stray hairs freeze, shatter, scatter on the wind.

Silence hangs over us both.

Finally, as I steady my shaking body, I stand up.
I hold myself at a distance, waiting for her to teleport away, to form another portal and escape. Both arms are frozen, one sticking out like she's reaching out for someone.
There's no telltale sound of a portal being formed.
And there, Mnemosyne lies.

A new sound fills my ears.
>>
No. 1076896 ID: 78048b
File 169957787347.png - (1.16MB , 1000x1000 , shelaughed.png )
1076896

She's... laughing?

I wanted to ask, 'What's the matter with you?'.
She just lost to me, someone she's supposed to prevent from getting out. Someone who, more likely than not, reminds her of something that led to the death of someone she cared about.

Instead... I find myself asking something else.
"You doin' okay, Mnemosyne?"

It feels weird even saying her name. Like invoking a natural disaster, rather than calling out to a woman.

"Yes, yes... you win, Argine. I concede."
That... wasn't what I expected.
>>
No. 1076897 ID: 78048b
File 169957788617.png - (428.65KB , 1000x1000 , reachingout.png )
1076897

I step over her, the ice sticking to my boots.
The aches and pains in my body make themselves apparent again, now that the fight's over.
I've earned it though.

"This was one of the hardest fights I've been in. You... you fought well. Honourably."
God, look at me. I sound like a bloody idiot. Talking with 'honor' isn't something I'm good at.

Not sure how I'm supposed to make this ice go away... but as I reached out to take Mnemosyne's arm, the ice around her cracked, then dissipated.

I extend a hand to Mnemosyne to help her up.
>>
No. 1076898 ID: 78048b
File 169957790751.png - (651.97KB , 1000x1000 , sidebyside.png )
1076898

Finally, we clean ourselves up a little. I watch as Mnemosyne wipes the blood from her face with her arm. The throbbing pain in my side; it's not going to go away for a bit. I should get myself bandaged up after this.

Unclipping my gunbelt, I breathe a sigh of relief.
Sitting here in the middle of the storm... the silence is pleasant. If I listen closely, I can hear our breathing.
This is honestly a really nice place.
I don't know how her Pseudosignia works, or what exactly this place is supposed to be... but it's nice. If Parasignias are an extension of us... then is this place a reflection of Mnemosyne?

We'll head out soon enough, but... for now, a break is in order.
"Something on your mind?", I ask, watching Mnemosyne contemplate something.

"It's just... it's been a long time since I've last fought like this. Without guns."
She flexes her arm, and I watch the tendons bulge underneath her armor.

"I forgot that conflict can be fun."

"Yeah. I get that."
Fun, huh...
A long time ago, before everything, before I found out that my sister was a sociopath, we used to have fun. Learning, together.
I'll admit, sometimes this can be fun. Surpassing your opponents, watching as they fall for your plans and traps.
But the fact that my freedom rides on this makes it less pleasant than it should be.
And apparently she's the one who's planned all this out? I don't know what Jin's thinking.
But it doesn't change much either. I'm going to beat her and leave all of this behind.

...

This place's quiet when we're not talking. Serene, not eerie.
The storm rages on outside, sparing the both of us.

I'll ask for my gadgets in time, but... you guys were the ones who saw her past, right? I didn't get to see that, only past recollections. Is there.. something you'd like to ask?
>>
No. 1076906 ID: 273c18

>>1076898
Your sister isn't a sociopath... well, it's not the time to talk about that, nevermind.

Well, the obvious question is to ask how he died.

Secondly, I'm curious as to how she developed this pseudosignia. It's like... the absence of her parasignia... was it brought about by her bond with HIM? I thought a pseudosignia was parasignias sharing power and creating a hybrid mini-power but it might be a kind of... recontextualization instead.
>>
No. 1076942 ID: 3ea497

>>1076906
Apparently, pseudosignias are born from bonding with other people.

Speaking of which, Mnemosyne wanted you to win all along? Is this tournament really about proving your combat prowess... or something else entirely?

And what happened in the past? What was Site-77 like in those early years? And how did the war reach them?

Oh, yeah, and does she know Amica?
>>
No. 1076968 ID: b5377a

Ever fought Nickel? She seems to find... fulfillment in conflict so it just seems she'd at least attempt to have the title you have. Of ultimate soldier that is. How'd you get that title if you don't mind?
>>
No. 1076982 ID: eb0a9c

Did Armintell adopt a kid?

How did the world get nuked, and what were the days of evacuation like?
>>
No. 1077082 ID: 15a025

I think it'd be great to just hear about Armintell from herself. Not from some recordings from the past, but right from the heart herself.
>>
No. 1077423 ID: f14228

An ever-dour face smiling is a strange sort of sublime, but there it is. You did that. Congratulations on a hard fought and well-deserved victory, Argine.

Let Mnemosyne enjoy her good mood a while longer. She's rediscovering something lost to her. Let her have these moments, before we start prying into the painful past. And as we pry, let's do it delicately. Or at least make the attempt. That matters, even if we do end up picking at old scabs.

As for what to ask?

There are many things you could inquire about. Whether she'd be interested in sparring again. This windy realm of hers. How it was formed and how it ended up being integral to the work done on the portal that'll let you leave. The past of the base and the mysteries we've poked at so far regarding the directors' goals and intentions. Armintell, his fate, or more indirectly what happened with the deaths (and you have a natural way into asking about this - you were at the graves, after all) that occured on the base, the ones we know about. What she knows of the others still here at base - you have impressions of them, but you clearly don't know them as well as you thought. Does she, or has she kept her distance, too?

You could focus on just getting to know her a little better, speak of more mundane matters, her interests and beliefs. She's not some natural disaster, clearly, just someone who has been caught in a tempest her entire life. Your feelings are just a matter of distance - and a bit of alienation, self-inflicted. Which you can close and reduce. You have beat her once fair and square, seen a long-held façade crack. How could she remain some distant figure after this? You know - and we know - there is far more to her. Or was, once. Perhaps again.

You could also share. Some of your own thoughts, woes and troubles; regarding your sister and her mysterious motivations, the need for this whole tournament. Or something of your worries regarding Amica. Or us, the SAI. Or the base's past and your own uniqueness that Nanoweaver has attempted to hide. Here, after all, is as private a place as you'll likely ever find in the base - since it's NOT in the base. Beaten in this contest she is under no obligation to aid the others, too, so told anything in confidence she may be likely to keep it so. The question is - what do you think you can trust her with? Hm. Maybe you should just get to know her better first.

But still. As private a place as any. Maybe you can return here later. For sparring.
>>
No. 1077424 ID: f14228

Oh, one more thing. You could ask.

Does she need help with anything?
>>
No. 1080643 ID: 78048b
File 170476309741.png - (1.01MB , 1000x1000 , lyingdown.png )
1080643

>Ask about how Armintell died.
You... sure?

>Let her enjoy the good mood a while longer.
It's rare to even see someone like her smile. Really, it's odd seeing most of the oldest clones smile at all.

>You should hear about Armintell from her directly.
Yeah. Even if we're wanting to know how he died... I'm more curious about what he meant to her.
Because he's a part of her strength. Part of this world of hers.

"So... what was Armintell like? He must have meant a lot to you."

"He was the first to greet me. And someone I loved. Not everyone could say that they had someone like that in this facility."
The flowers swayed, an invisible breeze passing through the eye of the storm.
"He made things easier. And he was strong too. Though I was granted many, many advantages he was not, he was a genuine individual."

Genuine. Weird way to talk about a person. Am I genuine?
"I miss him. But I remember him, too."

"Sometimes that's what you need to do the most."
I wish I could let go of some of the people in my life. But like usual, I don't have a choice. At least for her, it's something that makes her stronger.

>What was Site 70 like in the earlier years?

"So what was it like in the years before I was around?"
I've only ever heard little snippets here and there. And Diagram certainly didn't talk that much about her past.
I guess until you Sykes came around, the past wasn't really something I was curious about.
Doesn't really matter what past a cage has when the one thing I want is freedom.

"Quieter. Even though we were trained, we never did see the war we were intended for."
She reclines on the flowerbed, the two of us staring up at the sky.
Lying down in the flower's a bit pokier than I expected. The grass nips at the skin under my fur.

"Sometimes I wonder how useful we would have been. This was before Parasignias, when a bullet or a grenade could kill you instantly. Would our training have overcome our lack of experience?"
The idea of loss, of actually seeing someone die... I don't think I'd know what it's like.
I'm no stranger to being blown up now, but getting away with nasty burns and blackened fur's better than what Mnemo's seen.

"I hear that many of us are finding success out there in the Weave. Perhaps this all did amount to something in the end. But I can't imagine that being my life either."
If I gotta knock some heads around to get food and a place to sleep, then so be it. I'm doing it my way first and foremost.

"Judicium has been encouraging me to join the PCC, find new people to protect. But I never even met the people I was supposed to protect in the first place, besides the one at my side. And I failed him in the end."
...

"We can still fight for ourselves like we did a few minutes ago."

"Maybe. But that's the danger of being made for someone else's sake. Even if you're trapped here - when you leave, you won't be bound by anyone."
I hope so. It feels like a lie to me.
The idea of people like Jin haunting me for the rest of my life... it makes me wonder why I'm even doing any of this.
>>
No. 1080644 ID: 78048b
File 170476311607.png - (542.22KB , 1000x1000 , gadgetselection1.png )
1080644

Fighting and sparring with Mnemosyne... I should ask her about it eventually. Maybe now that I've beaten her, it's an option. I'm aching too much right now to even think about the idea though.

>How'd she get the title of Ultimate Soldier anyway?
I think it's more of a reputation she built up as one of the oldest clones around. She thoroughly annihilated most people who've even tried to spar with her. I'm sure Nickel would be amongst that rank, but she's someone who lets other people challenge her.

>Aren't Pseudosignias formed with people?
Yeah... that's supposed to be the case, but Diagram mentioned there was exceptions. That they can be formed with places and objects too.
Given the documents that Nanoweaver gave us though... whatever this world is, it's not a Parasignia or a Pseudosignia. Maybe it grew out of her Parasignia or something?

Mnemosyne turns to me, this time asking me a question.
"You don't have those nightmares, do you?"
"Nightmares?"

There's a disturbed look in her eyes.
"So the rumors are true. You don't have memories of the past before you were born. Belonging to other people."

I can't say that I have. People have brought this up before, but... I don't have those memories, or flashes.
I've had dreams before. But never memories belonging to other people.
...There's those brief flashes from the past, from other people's perspectives. But I'm pretty sure that's a 'you' thing, not me. Never had 'em before I had a SAI in my bloodstream.
And before... you told me that Nanoweaver's been having nightmares, too. I just wonder if these were what she meant.

"What do you mean, memories belonging to other people?"

"It's something unpleasant. You'd feel nostalgia for countries that no longer exist, or want to be with people you've never met. Most clones in Site 70 have had these dreams. It's a good thing you don't."
Does Diagram get them too?
"It's hard to leave a place when it's all you've ever known in your life, for many, many years. Harder still when you remember a world that you were never part of."

She turns to look at me.
"This fight makes for a good excuse to leave. I had one of my questions answered."
...What's that supposed to mean?
Mnemosyne stands up in the field, staring off into the distant storm.
I've still got a question for her.

"Do you need help with anything?"
The adrenaline's wearing off a little, and.. in spite of it, Mnemosyne reminds me a bit of my sister. The two most independent people in the facility, and I've beaten one of them.
If the circumstances were different, I'd feel bad for her.
But my own freedom matters too. It feels like this fight means more to her than to Nickel and Astrolysis.
She was never playing around.

"You already did", comes the reply.
If she says so. It's really not my business to pry into someone else's problems more if they don't want my help.
Similarly, I'm not one to share my woes with others so quick. Different story for a bunch of idiots in my bloodstream though, hah!
>>
No. 1080647 ID: 78048b
File 170476320687.png - (475.84KB , 1000x1000 , gadgetselection2.png )
1080647

"Before we depart, I think it is necessary to grant you one of my gadgets."
Mnemosyne, in a brief flash, re-equips her previous gadgets. It's amazing how quick she can slide her gear on.

"Choose wisely. Remember, you only get one."
Hard choice coming up.



>[DEVICE ANALYSIS]

>[SQUALL JET] -

>Though ill-suited for long sustained periods of flight, the Squall Jet was prized for its ability to let soldiers quickly correct their position and navigate hostile terrain through controlled bursts of powerful blasts of air. Naturally, this technology was a cornerstone of the Keletzar's Seventh Flight's military, widely built upon and utilized by their soldiers due to their familiarity with airborne combat. While less suited for specie without innate gliding capabilities or wings, other divisions of militaries have found use for the device in repositioning their troops due to its long battery life. Due to its design, it can also be used as a short-ranged horizontal 'dash', though one must take care to land properly.

>DIAGRAM'S NOTE: Who doesn't want to fly? It's a shame that you can't get very high up with the Squall Jet unless your Parasignia happens to support it, so it's mostly something used to help people jump to higher vantage spots.
>The Squall Jet's also proportionally better depending on how big the user is. I don't think someone as big as Astrolysis or Reichenbach could use the Squall Jet at all. On the other hand, if you're as small as Nickel, you're probably going to get launched into the roof! The Keletzar didn't exactly plan for multiple different species to use this technology to begin with. I'm sure most people could still use it properly!

>Tags: Blustering, Streamlining, Leaping

>[VELOCITY JAVELIN] -

>A more recent creation of Site 70, the Velocity Javelin was invented by Engineer Sawdust while experimenting with high speed payload delivery mechanisms intended for usage in mounted gun turrets. Now, it's been re-engineered into a palm-sized device that imbues held projectiles with principles derived from the Weave Nexus and other paracosmic technologies.
>Though ill-suited for the purposes of automated weaponry due to critical overheating issues, the Velocity Javelin's ability to turn projectiles into super-accelerated slugs with high destructive force had made it a particularly prized gadget for usage in the Weave, at least in situations where friendly fire, property damage and ricochets are not an issue. One downside to the Velocity Javelin is its relatively poor accuracy due to most objects being ill-suited for throwing at high speeds. In addition, the hyper-acceleration provided by the gadget only lingers temporarily, meaning projectiles quickly lose speed due to drag. Conventional rifles and long-ranged weaponry are able to out-range this device and its heat dissipation issues still persist, meaning it has a lengthy cooldown unless an operator wishes to have their hand covered in molten slag.

>DIAGRAM'S NOTE: Using the Velocity Javelin in stealth situations isn't advised, either. Considering how loud and bright it is due to the energies wrapping around whatever you're throwing, it's very noticeable! You're likely not catching anyone off-guard with it. And maybe this is obvious, but you have to think about what you're throwing with the Velocity Javelin! If it's something soft, then it won't be very destructive if it hits the target.

>Tags: Accelerating, Imbuing, Overclocking

>Currently owned Tags:
>Beam Unit - Focusing, Energizing, Pinpointing
>Explosive Disc - Explosive, Volatile, Destructive
>Barrier Generator - Reflective, Protective, Repelling
>Pitch Prefect - Slowing, Sticky, Congealing
>Blink Capacitor - Displacing, Replacing, Intangible
>Blade Printer: Replicating, Cutting, Aerodynamic
>Amp Rings: Empowering, Amplifying, Intensifying

...Oh, the Javelin was made by Sawdust? She didn't bring it up last I talked to her. Can't blame me considering she has turrets in the brain. What's the point of guns you're not shooting yourself? Takes out a lot of the joy of making your own weapons if you don't even get to fire them yourself.
There's only two opponents left in this sham of a tournament.
What's the pick you guys have in mind? These are both really good options, so either one would be a big addition to my kit.
And if you guys want to reiterate a question to ask Mnemosyne about before we head to the medbay or something, you should bring that up now. I didn't feel like I could ask all of it when we were having that quiet moment just then.
>>
No. 1080651 ID: eb0a9c

>I wish I could let go of some of the people in my life.
It's easier than you think, but the consequences are serious.
Rule of thumb is that certain relationships which make it easier and more tempting to break others are the ones that need to be dropped first.

>"Judicium has been encouraging me to join the PCC, find new people to protect. But I never even met the people I was supposed to protect in the first place, besides the one at my side. And I failed him in the end."
It's just tragic. This world was diseased, but it had its own culture, and an entire population that just wanted what was best for their respective peoples. Now it's all gone... and the one thing it gave to the universe was the exact opposite of what it represented. Worse than being forgotten, they will be worshipped and respected for everything that they didn't believe in.
Or maybe just hated for what they unintentionally unleashed.

>SQUALL JET
...Hm. I was never good at ordering troopers with these. Still, you can't deny how useful they are. They can save you in a fight, reverse-uno an entire tactical round of careful positioning against you. If you do take them, I recommend you use them for flanking or repositioning and not direct combat; essential for sniper builds in poor vertical-mobility areas, but if your giant jetpack is shot up, you're screwed.

>VELOCITY JAVELIN
...
>What's the point of guns you're not shooting yours-
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!
Argine, the greatest threat to superior firepower in a war was losing all the people who could shoot the damn things! Having the guns shoot by themselves means less of your soldiers need to risk themselves dying to a hail of gunfire to get them into shooting position! Please understand that most biological organisms were more likely to break from sustained firepower than the guns were!
Turrets are essential on any industrial-age battlefield and beyond! While they may be inefficient due to accuracy and jamming issues, and that's if they're made with sub-par engineering, it means all the unused ammo in your packs get spent faster where they're needed the most. More things shooting at once means your opponents have to concentrate on more targets to neutralize or evade! And that's not getting into the sheer intelligence that can be programmed into something the size of your fist! It's like having a disposable sidekick!
Also, you can manually shoot a turret if you really need to. So now you have the versatility of more guns to use before you need to reload.
Get this. It'll pair well with your other utilities and turn them into DPS-centralized superweapons. Your shotguns will get the most value out of these shortenings.
>>
No. 1080654 ID: 273c18

>>1080647
Hmm. I'd say Velocity Javelin. Overclocking your gadgets will be useful for burst damage, and using it as a tool means you can really chuck stuff. Rubble, explosive discs, knives, even Plug if it can handle the rough treatment.
It's an anti-Mnemosyne gadget. She blocks bullets but nothing else, so use the javelin to make everything else your weapon. Shame about the cooldown though. You'd probably have to set your loadout to something you can stand up to Mnemosyne in melee with for long enough to get away with blink or amp, and use the javelin for occasional big hits.

I also like its tags more.
>>
No. 1080683 ID: cdd487

I'm in favor of the Squall Jet, focusing on mobility has been very helpful so far.
>>
No. 1080698 ID: fe12b4

>>1080647
Squall jet, I see use in the the velocity javelin for throwing props around or even potentially creating cover, but it would be somewhat more situational than the ability to go fast on command in any direction we need and doubling down on mobility has helped us most so far.
>>
No. 1080959 ID: 15a025

I'd say go with the Velocity Javelin. We can already blink away if we're in a pinch. Can't stop thinking about all the possibilities we could use that with other gadgets for.
>>
No. 1082350 ID: f6204d

I'll make a vote for Squall Jet, as it's likely that flight or self-propelled jumps will likely be very useful going forward, pun intended.

As for questions left unanswered, I would like to ask:
What did Mnemosyne figure out about herself with this fight?

and

Who attacked the Site all those years ago, and why?
>>
No. 1082609 ID: 32ff81
File 170717430108.png - (696.45KB , 1000x1000 , jetpackin.png )
1082609

>Turrets, Argine! They're essential on any battlefield!
Ehh... I mean, I see what you're talking about, but turrets don't mean much in the context of this facility. There's not a lot of honor to just watching a remote-controlled gun mow someone down, you're not really proving anything there. I guess battlefields don't really care about 'proving' oneself though.


>We could ask Mnemosyne about what she learned or what exactly happened to the site.
Maybe not when we're in the middle of her big mind world. I can already hazard a good enough guess myself, given the information we've been given. People died. Armintell died.
She lost him. I think that's all I need to know for now.

But anyway...
I'm going with the Squall Jet. Close vote this time.
Honestly, both these gadgets are amazing for me, but when I can literally teleport a jetpack onto my back with my Parasignia?
That's going to be extremely useful for getting around.
It's a shame I have to give up the Velocity Javelin, but that's just how things are.
Beside that, we did spend some cards in this fight... given that we won, it was a worthwhile investment.

We're down to:
Solburst - 2 (None used)
Frozeneye - 3 (None used)
Breezecycle - 2 (1 used)
Briarspirit - 1 (None used)
Voidsplit - 1 (None used)
Echoscribe - 3 (1 used)

Given that we've got two fights left, this is going pretty well. I wanted to use a Frozeneye against Mnemosyne earlier, but when I can't actually physically reach them, then they're not viable. Better keep my distance in future.
Picking up the jetpack, it feels surprisingly light when I hook the device to my back. Lots of little parts inside - this one's going to be interesting to break down.
>>
No. 1082610 ID: 32ff81
File 170717432887.png - (628.00KB , 1000x1000 , offintothedistance.png )
1082610

With the new gadget in tow, I stand.
My legs ache.
"Mind accompanying me to the medbay?"

Feels nice actually getting to ask that this time around.
"Would you like me to drop you there with a portal?"
The sensation of plummeting through the air, tumbling without any idea of where the ground is...
"Nah."

"Then we'll take the longer way out. This portal won't drop you quite so far."
"Fine. Let's go."
A portal forms on the ground, under the flowers. While Mnemosyne doesn't seem to use her Parasignia much... I can imagine how convenient it is for her, like mine is for me.
But speaking of things I'm carrying around...
Agh. I'm going to need a new shirt, and a shower.
>>
No. 1082612 ID: 32ff81
File 170717434531.png - (0.96MB , 1017x1017 , LTSTATIC.png )
1082612

>>
No. 1082613 ID: 32ff81
File 170717436558.png - (830.94KB , 1000x1000 , gossip.png )
1082613

Whispers dance through the evening halls of the facility.

"...it's so tragic..."

"I heard that over a dozen were killed..."

"Who'd have thought that the enemy would come from within..."

The lone soldier in red trains by her lonesome, her thoughts a thousand miles away.
Why?
Why?
She wasn't there for him.
If she had been, things could have been different. She could have made a difference.
A week had passed, and her dye was fading.
Thwack. Thwack.
Her knuckles bleed, a thin trickle of blood seeping into her fur, dying her hands red.
Her body ached. Compared to taking a grenade, it felt all-encompassing.
>>
No. 1082616 ID: 32ff81
File 170717440322.png - (928.84KB , 1000x1000 , trauma.png )
1082616

She wouldn't let go. She couldn't let go.
Where else was there to go from here?

The others didn't understand.
The first - or was it the second - time loss had been felt in Site 70.

Is this what war is? Is this what the citizenry felt, all the time?

If so, she wasn't ready.
She needed to be ready.
So that she would be there when she needed to be.
>>
No. 1082617 ID: 32ff81
File 170717442490.png - (0.96MB , 1017x1017 , LTSTATIC.png )
1082617

>>
No. 1082620 ID: 32ff81
File 170717445886.png - (762.88KB , 1000x1000 , shesitt.png )
1082620

Feels good to be here because I won, for once.
Mnemosyne's already left a while back, said something about picking something up for me, but I deserve a bit of a break while I'm here.
Got a chunk taken out of my side after all.
We mostly dressed each others' wounds... I don't think I'm ready to see Nanoweaver yet. Sent her to Judi's, to get my coat and shirt fixed up as well, so I'm in the 'bay blues again.

Still got the rest of the day, though. While we wait, we may as well plan some things out and address some things.

I've got a Pseudosignia now! With Judi, of all people.
I was expecting it to be Diagram, but what I said before, about not really feeling like I know her or her past? Maybe that's a big reason why I connected up with Judi's sentiments instead.
Cold War's a completely different experience. Like jumping into the ocean after having a hot shower.
Simplest way to explain it's that it's combining Judi's 'freezing' ability with my focus on equipment to disable things or make them more brittle.
Risky, but it's technically a defensive move considering it seemed to make my gauntlets even tougher. Even if I didn't have the gauntlets, I'm pretty sure I could block a rifle shot with it... but maybe not an explosive.

It's a bit bittersweet, isn't it? Figures the instructor who beat the shit out of me for most of my life would leave a few bruises, heh.
I still feel like a bloody idiot, that I didn't listen to all of what she had to say before. Thought she was just a frigid bitch for months...
At least I'm past that now.
...But those memories, they happened after the fight with Judicium.
Mnemosyne...
This happened with Nickel and Astrolysis before too, right?
I don't remember the ones with those two well, but the one with Judicium in it? That one featured me, and it changed how I saw her for the better. Explained some of what was going on.
I just... who's the one talking in those memories?
Sounds like a guy, but not one I've ever heard before.
In fact, he kinda sounds like one of your voices. But why would a Splinter be showing me these thoughts? You're all recordings able to respond to what I'm doing, not complete replicas of someone's mind.
...
I get the feeling we're going to get some answers soon.


More importantly, there was that situation with the vial - whether we should bring it to Amica or Nanoweaver or not.
A vial of SAI splinters, hidden in the Project Lead's Office. A prototype SAI that led us to it in the first place.
What's the beef between Amica and Nanoweaver?
I'm going to see Amica before the fight with Ozone no matter what, but it doesn't mean I have to bring the vial to her.
We don't even have to make this decision now - we could hear out both their stories before the fight, then give the vial over to whomever we trust.
Something's going on with this facility. Even if I'm going to leave it behind, I don't want there to be any regrets for me, Diagram, or the few damn people who give a shit about me.
>>
No. 1082827 ID: fe12b4

>>1082620
hypothesis: we might not be what we seem, or in some way built off the architecture of this dude.
>>
No. 1082845 ID: 273c18

Most likely explanation is, the way we interface with you "stimulates" the trace or whatever that you were born from.
>>
No. 1083116 ID: 15a025

With how you've been seeing recordings of the past. Maybe you could bring up the vial to Nanoweaver. Don't tell her you have it, but describe a vague "recording"/memory trace that played while you were dreaming.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason