[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
In memory of Flyin' Black Jackson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 146163772227.png - (1.61MB , 1600x1600 , start.png )
719196 No. 719196 ID: c6e626

This isn't how this was supposed to go at all.
Expand all images
>>
No. 719197 ID: c6e626
File 146163782814.png - (1.37MB , 1600x1600 , 1.png )
719197

"Fuck," you whisper to yourself under your breath. "Fuck, fuck fuck fuck." It makes you feel a little better, somehow.
>>
No. 719199 ID: 96aae7

What happened?? Where are you? Is that a body??
>>
No. 719200 ID: 9c7732

Oh my. It looks like you're in a messy situation. What happened? What is this place? Do you recognize the body?
>>
No. 719201 ID: a075ba

Who's dead, and is it your fault.
>>
No. 719202 ID: 1cebc8

Get to cover, NOW!
>>
No. 719206 ID: b1ab1f

is that a dead body. are u sure. punch it
>>
No. 719208 ID: c6e626
File 146163982327.png - (1.34MB , 1600x1600 , 2.png )
719208

>What happened?? Where are you? Is that a body??

A murder, some random run-down house on the outskirts of the city, yes.

>Do you recognize the body?

You've never met him in person, but yeah. That's Elliot Keyes. He's...he WAS a notorious mercenary, beating and killing for the highest bidder. You were supposed to track him down, but it looks like someone else found him first.

>Get to cover, NOW!

No use bothering. You scanned the place before you came in. Whoever did this, they're long gone.
>>
No. 719209 ID: f6442a

Well you gotta go claim the bounty on him before the killer does!
>>
No. 719210 ID: c6e626
File 146164014583.png - (1.56MB , 1600x1600 , 3.png )
719210

Your name is Detective Minerva Espinoza. You work with the New Samson Police Department, alongside your partner, Beverly Wilde.

You're trained for this, but right now you don't know what to do.
>>
No. 719211 ID: a075ba

>You're trained for this, but right now you don't know what to do.
Call it in and secure the scene. You have to.
>>
No. 719225 ID: 5ad4a7

>>719210
Since the scene is secure and there are no weapons lying around, the next thing to do is call it in and get more officers on the scene so they can keep anyone from messing up the crime scene.
>>
No. 719233 ID: c6e626
File 146164560822.png - (1.48MB , 1600x1600 , 4.png )
719233

>Call it in and secure the scene. You have to.

The scene is as secure as you can get it. Beverly seems to be calling it in already, so you wait quietly until she finishes.

"Are you done, Bev?" you ask as the light from her implant flickers out. That thing creeps you out a little, you think.
>>
No. 719234 ID: c6e626
File 146164569957.png - (1.30MB , 1600x1600 , 5.png )
719234

"Just about," she says, turning back towards you. She looks concerned. You're not sure why.

"Hey, Minnie..." she begins, carefully reading your reaction. "Are you alright?"

What are you going to tell her?
>>
No. 719243 ID: 1cebc8

"I want a smoothie."
>>
No. 719246 ID: 79a07e

>>719234
"Just a bit rattled, it'll pass. This is old hat (presuming you're experienced), but it doesn't stop the shakes sometimes."
>>
No. 719251 ID: f6442a

How about you and me go to that new Mexican place after our shift ends? I've suddenly got a hankering for chunky salsa.
>>
No. 719258 ID: a075ba

>What are you going to tell her?
The truth. If you can't trust your partner, who can you trust?
>>
No. 719314 ID: c6e626
File 146170368304.png - (1.64MB , 1600x1600 , 6.png )
719314

"I'm just a little rattled, but I'll get over it," you reassure her. "You'd think I'd be over this sort of thing by now, but..."

>The truth. If you can't trust your partner, who can you trust?

That's not entirely true, you guess. Talking about your feelings isn't really your strong suit, but you'll give it a shot.

"I guess I'm just kinda pissed off. We've both been working our asses off chasing this guy so he can be brought to justice, and then just when we're about to corner him for good, some asshole offs the guy."

"Isn't death punishment enough for him, though?" asks Beverly.

"He should have gone to trial," you mutter.
>>
No. 719315 ID: c6e626
File 146170371631.png - (1.53MB , 1600x1600 , 7.png )
719315

Your stomach growls.

"Minnie, when was the last time you ate?" Beverly asks pointedly. She sort of sounds like she's scolding you, which is rich coming from a girl three years younger than you.

"I don't remember," you say, which is the truth. You definitely didn't eat lunch, but did you have breakfast? Probably not. "I've been so busy-"

"-with the manhunt," she interrupts. "Yeah, I know, but you should really take better care of yourself. You can't starve yourself every time you've got a tough case. How about after our shift ends, we grab something to eat, and then you can go home and get your ass some sleep."

>How about you and me go to that new Mexican place after our shift ends? I've suddenly got a hankering for chunky salsa.

That's a bit on the nose to say out loud, but it does make you laugh a little. Gallows humor, the saving grace of cops everywhere.
>>
No. 719316 ID: c6e626
File 146170375014.png - (1.18MB , 1600x1600 , 8.png )
719316

Your shift is actually almost over, and you know that backup is already on its way. You can wait for them to come and hand off the investigation to go out to eat with Beverly, or you can stick around and examine the crime scene. If you stay, though, you risk exhausting your FOOD or SPOONS stat.

Your FOOD stat tracks how much you have eaten recently. Since it's been a while since the last time you ate, it is very low. If you exhaust your FOOD stat, you will pass out from hunger.

Your SLEEP stat tracks how much physical energy you have. You had a cup of coffee recently, and you're used to late nights, so it's not quite as low as your other stats. If you exhaust your SLEEP stat, you will fall asleep on the job.

Your SPOONS stat tracks how much mental energy you have. Finding Keyes's body took a pretty big chunk out of your SPOONS stat, and you spent a lot of them on the manhunt. Which ended up being a waste of time. If you exhaust your SPOONS stat, you will be at a high risk of a panic attack for as long as it remains empty, and you will have fewer SPOONS tomorrow.

Still, "see justice carried out" is one of your goals, and you can probably also win brownie points with the Captain for working overtime. What should you do?
>>
No. 719319 ID: c6e626

For more about spoons, try http://thespoontheory.tumblr.com/post/44757754831/faq

This quest now has a discussion thread here: http://tgchan.org/kusaba/questdis/res/99457.html

>>
No. 719321 ID: 1cebc8

Take pictures of the entire area and open anything suspicious. You can do more thinking tomorrow, so go somewhere on the way back home and get something with lots of nutrients.
>>
No. 719322 ID: a075ba

>>719316
You won't see justice done if you work yourself till you pass out, and that will hardly please the captain either.

The manhunt was a dead end, take the chance to recharge yourself. Tomorrow start tracking down this latest murderer.
>>
No. 719414 ID: c6e626
File 146173380484.png - (1.04MB , 1600x1600 , 9.png )
719414

"Well?" Beverly looks at you expectantly, and you realize that you never answered her.

>You won't see justice done if you work yourself till you pass out, and that will hardly please the captain either.

"Okay," you say, and she lights up. "Just...let me do what I can before backup comes, alright? I need to feel like I accomplished something today." She looks like she's about to argue, but she doesn't say anything in the end. You take that as an agreement, and pull out your phone.

>Take pictures of the entire area and open anything suspicious. You can do more thinking tomorrow, so go somewhere on the way back home and get something with lots of nutrients.

The camera isn't as high quality as the top-tier ones the CSI's have, but you want personal copies to go over later. If they pull you off the investigation, you won't have access to any of the stuff they gather anyway.

Besides. Sometimes, evidence gets lost in the shuffle. A backup couldn't hurt.
>>
No. 719416 ID: c6e626
File 146173389073.png - (1.23MB , 1600x1600 , 10.png )
719416

(Image contains graphic content)
This house doesn't belong to Keyes, but he's made several stops here over the past few weeks. The place is, frustratingly, pretty empty. There's a mattress by the wall and a banged up trash can by the door, but that's the only furniture in here. Most of the staining on the floor was probably here before he was. The blood wasn't. There's a lot of it, but that's not so surprising. After all, the victim has been stabbed numerous times in the back, and his throat is slit wide open.
>>
No. 719417 ID: c6e626
File 146173395408.png - (1.33MB , 1600x1600 , 11.png )
719417

(Image contains graphic content)
"Yikes," says Beverly, whistling. "You ever hate a guy that much? You'd think once would be enough."

"He wasn't exactly a model citizen. I'm sure there were loads of people who wanted to take a stab at it." You chuckle. "Don't see a murder weapon, though. Maybe the perp took it with them."

"Or maybe they hid it in the room," she replies.

You've taken all your pictures, but haven't actually touched anything. Of note in the crime scene are the body, the mattress, and the trash can. You only have time to investigate one before you promised Beverly you'd go.
>>
No. 719418 ID: 96aae7

Investigate the trash can! The CSI's are coming right? There's no way they'll miss the body or the mattress, but they might miss the can.
>>
No. 719486 ID: 1cebc8

Strange, why splatter blood everywhere except near the trash can? Were they making a statement? I don't think you'll find anything in there that the perpetrator didn't think about, so treat what you find as a public message from vigilante to the local police force.
>>
No. 719495 ID: fef726

Someone wanted him off that bed, he was killed and then dragged from it. Maybe they were looking for something underneath it? Look, you can even see that they cut open the mattress to look in it.

I'm thinking this wasn't just a revenge killing or a hit.
>>
No. 719522 ID: a075ba

You're not wearing gloves on you. Unless you've got gloves in your pockets, you can't touch any evidence. Careful about that.
>>
No. 719561 ID: c6e626
File 146180529752.png - (1.23MB , 1600x1600 , 12.png )
719561

>Investigate the trash can! The CSI's are coming right? There's no way they'll miss the body or the mattress, but they might miss the can.

From the outside, the trash can is not particularly notable. It's the big metal kind you usually see on street corners. A little rusted and banged up, but ordinary. There's a bit of blood smeared on the lid that you couldn't see before. It looks like a transfer, probably from someone's hand. That's all you can do without touching anything.
>>
No. 719562 ID: c6e626
File 146180534267.png - (841.46KB , 1600x1600 , 13.png )
719562

>You're not wearing gloves on you. Unless you've got gloves in your pockets, you can't touch any evidence. Careful about that.

"Beverly, do you have any gloves on you?" you ask. You definitely don't carry any with you. "I want to check out whatever's in that can."

"No, but I won't need them. I don't leave prints, remember?" Oh shit, yeah. You don't know how you keep forgetting that Beverly's hands are artificial past the wrist. They don't produce oils or have ridge patterns. Ergo, no fingerprints. Still, they're very good, so you usually just forget.
>>
No. 719563 ID: c6e626
File 146180537324.png - (1.73MB , 1600x1600 , 14.png )
719563

Beverly opens the trash can, carefully avoiding smudging the bloodstains, and you immediately wish she hadn't. An acrid, sickly-sweet stench fills the air, and you grimace. There's really no mistaking that.

"Vomit," Beverly confirms, slamming the lid back onto the can. "I'm not digging through that for you, Minnie. I love you, but not that much."

>Strange, why splatter blood everywhere except near the trash can? Were they making a statement? I don't think you'll find anything in there that the perpetrator didn't think about, so treat what you find as a public message from vigilante to the local police force.

If this is a message to the police force, you cannot fathom what it could mean.

You only have a minute or so until the others arrive and your shift ends. Maybe you'll just take this opportunity to think through some of your theories.
>>
No. 719568 ID: a075ba

>You only have a minute or so until the others arrive and your shift ends. Maybe you'll just take this opportunity to think through some of your theories.
Look at the door. Any signs of forced entry?

From the blood, it looks like he was attacked in bed, which suggests he didn't know his attacker was here, or he didn't have time to react before they stabbed him. That suggests either surprise, stealth, or someone he allowed to get close to him.

Can you tell if he crawled from the bed or was dragged? In the second case, that supports the idea the assailant was trying to get to something.
>>
No. 719571 ID: b91819

Vomit on the trashcan means clear signs of intoxication and the nature of the wounds suggest there wasn't much of a struggle.

Perhaps clues on who is responsible lay wherever he was last night. Something to think about over some nice enchiladas
>>
No. 719702 ID: 96aae7

Ask Beverly if you can get your hands on some of the case files after this. Between the two of you, surely you know someone who can tell you what forensics finds in here later, yeah?
>>
No. 719724 ID: f80e05

Hmm theres no blood tracked on the way to the trashcan. You wont be able to tell for sure until its tested if the vomit is from Keyes or someone else (the muderer?) but the blood on the trashcan makes me think the muderer.

So they kill him on the bed (while hes sleeping?) getting blood spray on themselves, loose their cool and end up puking in the trashcan (first timer?), then drag the body across the room spreading the blood across the floor? Well thats just my initial guess but I'm not a crime scene analyst by far.
>>
No. 720137 ID: c6e626
File 146206962899.png - (1.75MB , 1600x1600 , 15.png )
720137

>Look at the door. Any signs of forced entry?

It doesn't look like it, no. But while you're on that subject, you notice that one of the windows in the room is not boarded up. You didn't bother looking over there before, but it's wide open. There's probably a fire escape there, so you guess someone could have gotten in or out that way.
>>
No. 720144 ID: c6e626
File 146207006463.png - (1.27MB , 1600x1600 , 16.png )
720144

(Image contains graphic content)


>Can you tell if he crawled from the bed or was dragged? In the second case, that supports the idea the assailant was trying to get to something.

You're no CSI, but that one, particularly long bloodstain on the wall by the mattress looks like the kind of spurt you get when you slit someone's throat. You don't think most people can do much crawling after having their throats slit, so...make of that what you will.

>Ask Beverly if you can get your hands on some of the case files after this. Between the two of you, surely you know someone who can tell you what forensics finds in here later, yeah?

"Hey," you say, retreating back toward the door, "Do we know anyone in forensics who could get us a report once they're done with this mess?"

"If we're investigating the case, they should just give it to us," she says, frowning at you.

"Yeah," you say, "but if the captain hands it off to somebody else-" You're cut off by Beverly laughing at you.

"She won't take us off the case," she assures you. "Captain Manikowski fucking loves you. Probably because you put in so many extra hours. I should be so lucky." You scoff.

"Captain Manikowski doesn't like you because you smoke in the station."

"Yeah, well. What can I do?"

"Not smoke in the station."
>>
No. 720145 ID: c6e626
File 146207008709.png - (1.19MB , 1600x1600 , 17.png )
720145

You sit around for a few more minutes before the response team finally arrives and Beverly all but drags you out of the crime scene. Your SPOONS stat is a little lower than it was before all this mess. You think you have the energy to go out to eat with Beverly, and she seems to be really hoping you'll come, but a part of you really, really just wants to go home.
>>
No. 720148 ID: 1cebc8

Sleep in the car
Sleep in the car
Sleep in the car
Sleep in the car

Get some Chinese fast food.
>>
No. 720154 ID: 96aae7

Do something relaxing on the way to get food with beverly- play with an app on your phone, nap, etc. Try to destress a little
>>
No. 720292 ID: a075ba

>>720145
Go eat with her. Gotta do something to keep your partner happy once in a while.
>>
No. 720344 ID: f80e05

go out and get something hearty and healthy at a restaurant that isnt too packed, and then go home. it looks late so hopefully most places that are still open arent too busy. you wanna be in your best shape for work tomorrow, if you feel too worn out after the restaurant beverly can give you a ride. i dont think you are in good shape to go home and cook, and you should really eat... your stats havent dropped anymore since you last checked right?

If you really think you cant make it through a meal maybe ask beverly if you could order it to go and eat it together at your place.
>>
No. 720413 ID: 8b48b7

Perhaps you can convince Beverly to go to a not so fancy food stand near your home, quick snack and rest so close together.

Btw, you know what could help you get your mind out of the shit that's been happening, focusing on how lovely Bev looks tonight
>>
No. 720562 ID: c6e626
File 146223786781.png - (1.55MB , 1600x1600 , 18.png )
720562

>Sleep in the car
>Do something relaxing on the way to get food with beverly- play with an app on your phone, nap, etc. Try to destress a little

Beverly offers to drive, which is good, because you really need the time to recharge. You spend a few minutes napping in the car, and the rest of the ride playing a rhythm game on your phone.

"Are you playing that taptap anime idol game?" asks Beverly, fucking up your combo. You resist the growing urge to strangle her.

"Yes," you tell her tersely.

"Nerd."
>>
No. 720563 ID: c6e626
File 146223788634.png - (1.11MB , 1600x1600 , 19.png )
720563

>your stats havent dropped anymore since you last checked right?

As the car pulls into the restaurant, you do a quick check-in. Your FOOD stat is getting pretty critical. You were able to replenish some SPOONS and SLEEP in the car, probably enough to get you through dinner at the very least.

It's a local burrito place. Good, but never particularly crowded. You order something that by your standards, is probably pretty healthy. You then load it up with twice the recommended amount of hot sauce. It's been that kind of day.
>>
No. 720565 ID: c6e626
File 146223793780.png - (1.59MB , 1600x1600 , 20.png )
720565

"So," says Beverly, swallowing a bite of her burrito. "Thoughts?"

"It seems like either the killer was a rookie or...drunk maybe. Either way, the blood on the trash can makes me think the vomit was theirs, not the victim's. No signs of a struggle, and I'm thinking Keyes didn't have a chance to fight back anyway. Probably approached from behind. Maybe they were after something. Keyes was killed on the mattress then dragged off it, and then the mattress was cut open, so..."

A cold wind blows through the restaurant.

"We'd better start investigating tomorrow," says Beverly. "Let's see. There's the ex...Ramirez, was it? The crime scene belongs to...Kai and Mei Green. Keyes had dealings with the Greenback Gang too, someone there could've wanted him dead, and he ran afoul of one of those vigilantes a while back too-"

"A hero?" You raise an eyebrow skeptically. "Don't you think the UHL is a little too...heroic to pull something like this?"

"I didn't say hero," she replies. "I said vigi. His name's Crusader. Real brutal guy. He goes after villains, but he uses deadly force. Honestly, I'm a little shocked you hadn't heard of him."

"I've been busy," you say, frowning. That's an awful lot of leads to pursue. You don't need to make a decision about what to do now, but it's a good time to start thinking about it.
>>
No. 720575 ID: c1c002

That's an awful lot of leads to go off of indeed. Perhaps you could start thinking about whether Kai and Mei Green have any associations to Elliot and/or his ex. That could eventually lead to why this particular crime happened in this particular place and hopefully answer some pressing problems.
>>
No. 720589 ID: c6e626

For the record here: as well as ideas on where to go with the investigation, it's also okay to ask Minerva questions about the world she lives in, and to ask Beverly for advice! After all, she is Minerva's partner.
>>
No. 720625 ID: f80e05
720625

There are organizations of superheroes and supervillians in this world? Do they have any superhuman powers?
>>
No. 720626 ID: f80e05

Oh! And ask Beverly about the Crusader's MO. (sorry for the double post)
>>
No. 720694 ID: c6e626
File 146231398309.png - (1.83MB , 1600x1600 , 21.png )
720694

>That's an awful lot of leads to go off of indeed. Perhaps you could start thinking about whether Kai and Mei Green have any associations to Elliot and/or his ex. That could eventually lead to why this particular crime happened in this particular place and hopefully answer some pressing problems.

You did your research before you discovered the crime scene. Benefits to this being a manhunt-turned-murder-investigation, you guess. Kai Green is the house owner. Keyes was using the place as a safehouse for about a week leading up to the murder, and surveillance shows that on several occasions, Green and Keyes were in the house at the same time. Mei is Kai’s teenage sister. You aren’t really sure whether or not she knew Keyes was staying in their house.

As far as you know, neither Green has any associations with Ramirez.
>>
No. 720695 ID: c6e626
File 146231402131.png - (1.24MB , 1600x1600 , 22.png )
720695

>There are organizations of superheroes and supervillians in this world? Do they have any superhuman powers?

Mmm, in a manner of speaking. The United Heroes' League was established about five years ago. It's an association of superheroes funded and regulated by the government. It's a pretty transparent attempt to control what used to be a pretty concerning rate of vigilantism. Police forces couldn't hope to stamp out vigilantes, so the government decided to regulate them again. The New Samson/Golden Groves chapter of the UHL is basically just another civil service agency, like the police and fire departments.

And yeah, most of the heroes have powers. The ones that don't are craaaazy competent, but don't mesh well with the police force. Actually, a lot of the heroes don't play well with others, or with the bureaucracy. (You hate those guys almost as much as the fire department. They’re too dramatic and theatrical, they’re BARELY accountable to anyone, and they make the police force look bad. Masked assholes.)

As for the villains...“Villain” is just slang for really big-name, high-publicity criminals. Some of them are the sort to run around in tights or armor and have powers. Some of them are just normal guys who are absurdly dangerous or absurdly vile, or both. Lots of villains run with gangs to make it harder to just arrest them.

The Greenback Gang, which you heard Beverly mention before, is one such gang. Almost entirely supers, and mostly minors. Its leader is a ferrokinetic named Penny Dreadful, one of two known adults in the gang. They mostly do low-profile robberies and peddle drugs, but you wouldn’t underestimate them. You’re pretty sure Penny Dreadful hired Keyes for something a while back, but you don’t know what it is.
>>
No. 720696 ID: c6e626
File 146231409649.png - (1.58MB , 1600x1600 , 23.png )
720696

(Image may contain graphic content? It's bloodstains.)

“What do you know about Crusader’s MO?” you ask.

“Well, I’ll admit that this isn’t a textbook case,” she says. “Crusader is a super. He shoots plasma beams from his hands that are strong enough to burn a clean hole through a human torso. He also wears these metal gauntlets that function kind of like brass knuckles when he just plain wants to beat the shit out of someone.”

“Doesn’t sound like our perp at all,” you observe.

“No, not really, but this guy isn’t a serial killer the way you think of one. He doesn’t exactly leave calling cards. Pretty sure he just works with whatever he has on hand. So just because the MO is different doesn’t necessarily mean it wasn’t him.”

“Have any of his crime scenes been this bloody before?” you ask, remembering the vomit in the trash can. There’s a big difference between an instantly-cauterized plasma wound and a stab wound.

“I don’t think so,” she says, shrugging. “But like I said, unless he’s seen leaving a scene or burns a hole in someone, it’s pretty hard to tell his apart from the rest.”
>>
No. 720757 ID: a075ba

>>720696
Well, there's no evidence as of yet that shows he was involved, but what's the connection? Keyes got into a scrape with him before?
>>
No. 721654 ID: b1ab1f

Have Crusader and the victim had any encounters before?
>>
No. 722342 ID: c6e626
File 146284695572.png - (1.60MB , 1600x1600 , 24.png )
722342

"What do we know about the history between Crusader and the victim?" you ask, taking a bite of your burrito. The hot sauce burns your mouth on its way down, but you don't mind. You've been eating your food this spicy since you were little, so it's sort of old hat to you. Even more old hat than bloody crime scenes, you figure.

"Crusader's been going after people associated with the Greenback Gang, trying to take out their support structure. He's probably gearing up for a more direct attack," says Beverly.
>>
No. 722343 ID: c6e626
File 146284698099.png - (932.20KB , 1600x1600 , 25.png )
722343

"Ballsy. The Greenbacks are powerful." You frown, then amend your statement. "Or at least, Penny Dreadful is. Who knows about those kids she leads around. Don't tell me he's conducting this...crusade of his on his own."

"As far as anyone can tell, he works solo, yeah. Anyway, he and Keyes had a shootout near the western part of town back in March. No major injuries or civilian casualties, pretty minor deal."

You frown at her. This is useful information, but you can't help but be a little put out at her.

"When were you going to tell me this?" you ask her. "During the manhunt, I should have known everything about Keyes!"

"It didn't seem relevant at the time. I misjudged." She looks down. It does...seem like she's genuinely sorry. "I'm sorry, Minerva. I really am."
>>
No. 722346 ID: 96aae7

Forgive Bev! I mean, it's pretty clear it was a minor thing that she didn't think was relevant to the case, not something she was purposefully keeping from you.

On another note, ask Bev her opinion on who would have more motive to murder Keyes? We know the options but it might be good to get her input. Even a gut feeling is fine!
>>
No. 722369 ID: a075ba

>>722343
Let her off the hook. She's been working as hard as you have on this.

It still might not be relevant, if it turns out Crusader wasn't involved, but for now it might be a lead, at least.
>>
No. 722370 ID: 79a07e

>>722343
Meh, it's fine. At first blush it's easy to see how it could be considered coincidental.
>>
No. 723759 ID: c6e626
File 146342701388.png - (1.53MB , 1600x1600 , 26.png )
723759

You take a deep breath. As peeved as you are that Beverly didn't think this was worth sharing, it's not really her fault that it seemed irrelevant until now. Besides. You think by now you're probably both pretty exhausted.

"It's fine. I'm just glad you're telling me now," you say. "I think it could be important. I guess...we'll have to find out tomorrow."

"Yeah," she says, finishing off her food. "Maybe we should head home now. No offense, but you kind of look like you're about to either pass out or cry."

"I'm pretty beat," you admit. "But I just wanted to ask you one more thing. I know it's early in the case for this, but who do you think makes the most sense, just motive-wise?"

She folds up the wrapper from her burrito neatly, staring down at it instead of making eye contact. She thinks for a while before replying.

"I want to talk to Josefa Ramirez," she says, sighing. "Whatever the nature of their relationship with Keyes was, I doubt it ended well. A partner scorned, and all that... Besides. If I'm wrong and they left amicably, don't they deserve to know Keyes is dead?" You nod. "Alright. Can we please go now?"
>>
No. 723760 ID: c6e626
File 146342704476.png - (1.16MB , 1600x1600 , 27.png )
723760

You only live a few blocks away, but Beverly insists on driving you home. She pulls up to the curb in front of your building, and on the balcony above you is none other than your next door neighbor. You don't know very much about Amelia Ito, besides that she owns an antiques shop downtown, and that she occasionally does some sort of consulting work for the department. You're not clear on the specifics, and she's not generally very forthcoming. Cute, though.

"Evening, Minerva," she calls lazily down from the balcony. She seems less energetic than usual, but she still manages a grin at you. "How goes it?"

"Nnn," you tell her eloquently.

"Yeah, me too. So who are your friends?" she asks, squinting into the car. You turn around. Beverly is definitely still the only one in the car.

"Friend..........s?" you ask.

"Yeah, the lady in the front and the guy with the ponytail. Don't tell me you don't-" Something seems to dawn on her and she inhales quickly and covers her mouth. "Ah. Never mind, it was just a trick of the light, I guess. Well, I won't keep you, hahahahaha....."

Oh, what the fuck.
>>
No. 723782 ID: a075ba

>>723759
Did you even touch your burrito. You were supposed to eat, young lady!

>occasionally does some sort of consulting work for the department.
>specifics unclear and she's not very forthcoming
>antiques
>seeing someone who's not there in the car
>badly trying to cover it up
...she's totally the department's ghost whisperer / psychic / medium, isn't she.

Although, if supers / people with powers exist, I don't suppose there's any good reason that kind of stuff can't be real.

Enjoy your exhausted epiphany, but I don't see a good reason to call her out on something she's tried to keep private in the middle of a public street.
>>
No. 726689 ID: b1ab1f

>"Yeah, the lady in the front and the guy with the ponytail. Don't tell me you don't-"

She does seem to act like she knows more than she does, like the above suggestion she might see ghosts?? You should totally ask about that soon, in private.
>>
No. 726698 ID: 0543a8

GHOST SEER GHOST SEER GHOST SEER
>>
No. 726966 ID: c6e626
File 146472804447.png - (1.18MB , 1600x1600 , 28.png )
726966

>...she's totally the department's ghost whisperer / psychic / medium, isn't she.

>She does seem to act like she knows more than she does, like the above suggestion she might see ghosts?? You should totally ask about that soon, in private.

>Enjoy your exhausted epiphany, but I don't see a good reason to call her out on something she's tried to keep private in the middle of a public street.

...Yeah, something's definitely fucky here. Unfortunately, you have neither the SPOONS nor the SLEEP to deal with this right now.

"If you say so," you tell Amelia. "I, uh. I'm gonna head in. Have a good night."

"Night!" she says. She's making a real attempt to look cheerful, but she looks just about as exhausted as you do. Beverly waves to make sure you're cool, then drives away. A cold wind blows past you as she leaves. It's not that chilly tonight, so you're not really sure what to make of that.
>>
No. 726967 ID: c6e626
File 146472807362.png - (1.13MB , 1600x1600 , 29.png )
726967

You head upstairs to your apartment. Your building is small, but it's alright. The stairs creak a little, and there's some dust, but you weren't exactly expecting the Ritz when you started renting here. If nothing else, it's better than the dump you found Keyes in. You raise your keys to open the door...

And the door swings open. Suddenly, you're hit with a wave of stale air, and the overwhelming stench of tobacco. You hear something banging around inside. You live alone, you certainly don't smoke, and you locked the door when you left for work. You're reasonably sure of that.

Which means that someone else is in your apartment.
>>
No. 726968 ID: c6e626
File 146472810233.png - (1.07MB , 1600x1600 , 30.png )
726968

You take a moment to take stock of your options. Your current inventory contains:

*Smartphone (battery drained)
*Pack of bubblegum
*Wallet with a state-assigned ID, a credit card, and thirty dollars in cash
*Standard issue service pistol and ammo
*Three hair elastics and five bobby pins
*A small bag containing three tampons and a pad

You have neighbors, so it's probably best to make as little fuss as possible. On the other hand, there is a stranger in your apartment, and you did NOT invite them in.
>>
No. 726981 ID: a075ba

Did you give anyone a key? Anyone who smokes? Does the super smoke? A yes to any of those decreases the odds this is a home invasion.

>inventory
No badge?

>what do
No sure what you can do besides draw your sidearm and go check it out.

Unless you want to just wait them out, if this is the only exit.
>>
No. 726983 ID: 094652

Use the pins and bubblegum to make a decoy grenade, throw into the center of the room, and call the police. Ready your gun at a safe distance from the door.
>>
No. 726984 ID: 6d1754

>>726981
>>
No. 727028 ID: fef726

The safest option would be to call it in, and wait for backup to arrive. You are tired and mentally stressed. That is not a good combination to go into a potentially lethal situation.
>>
No. 728341 ID: c6e626
File 146533619261.png - (167.80KB , 500x500 , 31.png )
728341

>The safest option would be to call it in, and wait for backup to arrive. You are tired and mentally stressed. That is not a good combination to go into a potentially lethal situation

That definitely would be the safest option, but your phone is totally drained. You used up all the battery playing that game, you guess. In any case, you won't be calling anything in.

>Did you give anyone a key? Anyone who smokes? Does the super smoke? A yes to any of those decreases the odds this is a home invasion.

Nobody else has a key to your apartment besides your sister and grandmother, and neither smokes. In fact, the only people you've dealt with recently who smoke are Beverly, who just left and was with you all day, and Elliot Keyes, who smoked like a MACHINE. But Elliot Keyes is dead. You were just staring at his body.

>No badge?

Whoops. Your badge is in an inside pocket of your jacket that you forgot you had. You're kind of an idiot, sometimes.
>>
No. 728342 ID: c6e626
File 146533622334.png - (142.98KB , 500x500 , 32.png )
728342

>No sure what you can do besides draw your sidearm and go check it out.

You draw your weapon and take a deep breath before opening the door and entering. The smell of tobacco is even worse from in here, and you gag a little bit before sliding the door shut behind you.

You think you can make out a shape through the smoke. It's a tall figure, but indistinct other than that.

"Whoever's in here," you warn, tightening your grip on your gun, "You better come out here right now. This is my apartment, I'm a cop, I'm armed, and I had a really, really long day."

"Thanks for the offer, beautiful," says a deep voice. You wouldn't want to assume, but it sounds male. You step closer and the figure becomes more distinct.
>>
No. 728343 ID: c6e626
File 146533624080.png - (205.76KB , 500x500 , 33.png )
728343

"But I've already died once today."

That's fucking impossible.
>>
No. 728346 ID: a075ba

>That's fucking impossible.
He has a twin, or a clone, or some kind of advanced fabrication or a super was involved in producing the corpse at the scene.

Or that's a shapeshifter. Or someone with optical disguise tech. Or this isn't just tobacco and you're hallucinating. Or you're already asleep.

Regardless, he needs to be arrested. Train your weapon on him, tell him to put his hands up.
>>
No. 728352 ID: b1ab1f

SHIT THROW A ROCK OR SMTH
>>
No. 728359 ID: 094652

If he can die multiple times

THEN SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE
>>
No. 730545 ID: c6e626
File 146628906748.png - (191.82KB , 500x500 , 34.png )
730545

"What's the matter, honey?" asks Elliot fucking Keyes, smirking at you. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

>Regardless, he needs to be arrested. Train your weapon on him, tell him to put his hands up.

You hold up your gun and scowl. It's pretty hard to breathe in here, and now you can see why. Keyes has a cigarette dangling from his left hand, and there's a lighter in his right. Apparently, nobody ever told the bastard not to smoke indoors.

"That's Detective to you, and you're under arrest," you say. Keyes just gives you a nonplussed look. "I mean it, put your fucking hands up."

"Or what?" Keyes raises an eyebrow. "Are you going to shoot me? Good luck with that, sweetheart." He grins at you, and oh my god he's doing this on purpose. He's realized it bothers you and now he's just milking it.

"Call me by another pet name," you say, steadying your grip on the gun. "I fucking dare you."

"Whatever you say, babe," he says in this horrible, flippant tone of voice.
>>
No. 730546 ID: c6e626
File 146628909557.png - (206.65KB , 500x500 , 35.png )
730546

You punch him in the face with your free hand. Your fist goes right through and it feels fucking horrible. Like sticking your hand in a pile of wet laundry. You recoil and Keyes laughs at you.

"Explain," you spit, and it's not a request. You don't have any force to back it up, but you have exactly ZERO fucks left to give.

"It's what it looks like," Keyes says, shrugging. "I guess I'm a goddamn ghost, aren't I? I got offed, and now I have to hang around the person who gave the most shits about me until they wrap up my unfinished business."

"You can't be serious," you say. "I, the person running the manhunt for you, cannot be the person who cared most about you. Your life cannot seriously be that sad."

He just shrugs at you again.

"Well, I'm not doing your goddamn errands," you tell him. "I have more important things to worry about."

"You're doing it anyway," he points out, "and unless you find the fucker who killed me, you're stuck with me pretty much indefinitely."
>>
No. 730547 ID: 430103

Look, let's talk this over in the morning. Unlike you, I still need sleep. And if you want me to actually help you rather than see what happens if I die before solving your last wish or whatever it is, you'll stop smoking up my apartment.
>>
No. 730552 ID: a075ba

>>730546
You want me to catch the person who killed you?

Let's pretend this is real for a moment and I'm not hallucinating due to lack of sleep, or talking to a hologram.

That means you turn pigeon and tell me everything. What you were doing, with who, and how it got you killed. If you're real, you can give me all the information I need, and there's no one who's going to punish you for squealing.
>>
No. 730563 ID: a075ba

Wait wait wait.

If he was a real ghost, he wouldn't have needed to break into your apparent. The door wouldn't be open. And the room wouldn't be filled with real smoke.

Something is still going on here- someone opened that door, and filled the room with smoke. Someone who might still be here, despite the illusion / projection / ghost in front of you.

Resuming searching the apartment.
>>
No. 730619 ID: c6e626
File 146630966421.png - (183.88KB , 500x500 , 36.png )
730619

"Look, Keyes," you say, rubbing your eyes. "I don't have the energy for this. Unlike you, I still need sleep. And if you want me to actually help you rather than see what happens if I die before solving your last wish or whatever it is, you'll stop smoking up my apartment."

You turn to start walking towards your bedroom when you suddenly freeze in place.

"Shit," you mutter, and then turn back to him. "If you're a ghost, how are you filling my apartment with real cigarette smoke? And how come the door was open? A ghost shouldn't need to break in, right? What the hell is going on here?"

"Oh, god," he says, and laughs derisively.
>>
No. 730620 ID: c6e626
File 146630972104.png - (201.98KB , 500x500 , 37.png )
730620

And then, he doesn't stop.

(blood and horror warning for the image)
>>
No. 730622 ID: c6e626
File 146630975569.png - (257.45KB , 500x500 , 38.png )
730622

(blood and horror warning for the image)

"You're right," he says, still practically doubling over with laughter. The door behind you slams shut of its own accord. "I'm more than a ghost! Murdered in my own safe house, at the ripe old age of thirty? With nobody left behind to mourn me but the police detective who wanted me behind bars?!"

He wheezes with laughter. You feel horrible and wrong. An impossible wind whips around you, and you realize that the tobacco stench is gone from the air.

"You don't think all those things would leave a spirit just a little restless?" He grins, baring every tooth. "I know, I know, kinda buried the poltergeist lead there, but I wanted to be polite about it! Course, now I'm not fuckin' asking."

He stops laughing and leans in way, way too close.

"FIND THE FUCKER WHO KILLED ME, OR I WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL."
>>
No. 730628 ID: a075ba

>>730622
Fuck you, you piece of shit! Like you deserve to come back and demand vengeance out of all the homicides to hit my desk! All the victims who deserve a second chance, all the innocents, and you have the nerve to come crawling back!

I'm going to solve your case because it's my job, not for you. And you can shut the fuck up and get out, unless you're willing to sit down like any other witness to a crime and tell me what the hell you know.
>>
No. 730761 ID: 430103

I want my sleep so I can think clearly instead of just running off in front of a bus!
But solving your murder should be simple enough yes, especially with your first-hand account of how you died, that alongside with my own investigation of the crime scene should at least make finding your killer relatively simple.
Let me make this crystal clear though-we're partners in this case. If it turns out it was someone like Crusader that offed you? Then chances are he can kill me too, and then where would you be? Likewise, you can be sure I'm not ignoring you, but at the same time I'm still alive, so I need to take care of myself so you don't end up with no-one to avenge you.
>>
No. 732149 ID: c6e626
File 146704564787.png - (176.71KB , 500x500 , 39.png )
732149

You slap Keyes right across the face.

You're met with significantly more success this time. If you were in a mood to speculate, you'd say that maybe he made himself corporeal as a side effect of his spooky scary bullshit. But you're not in that kind of mood. You're tired and fed up, and you want to go to bed.
>>
No. 732150 ID: c6e626
File 146704567912.png - (126.34KB , 500x500 , 40.png )
732150

"Fuck you," you tell him calmly. "Do you know how many homicides have hit my desk? Do you know how many innocent people have been killed in this city? Hell, do you know how many people you personally have reduced to photographs in my case files?"

He opens his mouth to speak and you interrupt him.

"What makes you, of all people, think you deserve to come back through the veil and demand shit from me?! I'll find out who killed you, and I'll bring them to justice. But not for you. I'll do it because it's my goddamn job, and because that's how justice works. And I'm not going to treat you any different from any other asshole witness I have to drag into the station. So unless you're going to tell me EVERYTHING you know and saw, just...sit down, shut up, and let me do my job.

You rub your head.

"Can I go to sleep now, so I can think clearly instead of just running off in front of a bus?"

"Fine," he mutters, and puts his cigarette out on your curtain. You're too tired to care.
>>
No. 732151 ID: c6e626
File 146704570497.png - (1.16MB , 1600x1600 , 41.png )
732151

When you wake up, you almost believe all of last night's nonsense was a dream. Your illusion is rudely shattered, though, when you roll out of bed and find Keyes sitting on your radiator, smoking up your bedroom.

"Keep smoking in my apartment and we'll both find out if poltergeists can double-die," you warn him, practically sleepwalking to the kitchen to make some coffee.

You have about an hour before you need to be at work. How are you going to use that time?

1. Do your morning workout, as per usual. You don't feel right when you don't do it.
2. Talk to Amelia. She should be up and about by now.
3. Talk to Elliot. He might as well make himself useful.
4. Go in early. You could get a head start on the investigation, and the captain would probably appreciate it.
>>
No. 732152 ID: e83a9a

1 pump those irons and get SWOL. I hear minerva has an 8 pack
>>
No. 732154 ID: e4873e

1. Let's get RRRRRRIIIIPPPPPEDD
>>
No. 732209 ID: a075ba

1, but make time for 2.

Amelia could see a guy with a ponytail. She knew Keys was there before he showed himself to you. If your guess is right and she really does do ghost stuff, maybe she can help shut him up for you. Or force him to be helpful. There's gotta be ways to banish spooks, or lock them in a box, or something, right?
>>
No. 733897 ID: c6e626
File 146777801989.png - (1.20MB , 1600x1600 , 42.png )
733897

You grab a half-assed breakfast, get dressed, and head off to work out. Usually, you do that at the community center down the street from your house. It's kind of a big endeavor for an hour of free time, but it's not far and you can usually make it if you hurry.

Besides. You know Amelia Ito goes there in the mornings too, and you need a word with her. She's a swimmer, so she should be around here somewhere.
>>
No. 733898 ID: c6e626
File 146777804666.png - (1.17MB , 1600x1600 , 43.png )
733898

Oh. There she...
>>
No. 733899 ID: c6e626
File 146777806497.png - (1.28MB , 1600x1600 , 44.png )
733899

...Is.
>>
No. 733900 ID: c6e626
File 146777808312.png - (1.13MB , 1600x1600 , 45.png )
733900

"Oh, hi Minerva! Fancy meeting you here!" she says.

"Fancy that," you echo quietly.

Tried out a slightly different style for this update. I think it looks a little nicer.
>>
No. 733917 ID: b2d501

Slap Keyes again (when Ito isn't looking).

Ask Ito for assistance on your current case.
>>
No. 733948 ID: fef726

Looks like someone has a bit of a crush.
>>
No. 733953 ID: 946d7a

ZOO WEE MAMA HOT DAMN
>>
No. 733964 ID: 3d2d5f

>>733899
Damn, keep that lady-boner in your pants, girl.

>>733900
Tell her you actually wanted to ask her about something. She... saw you with a man with a ponytail last night. You never had a reason to push her on the consulting she does, but is it, by any chance, because you can deal with, um, people who aren't there?

After the awkwardness, make it clear you aren't trying to pry into what she might have been trying to keep quiet, you just want help dealing with this jerk. There have to be ways to wrangle ghosts, right? Or at least shut them up.
>>
No. 733987 ID: e4f856

"So, the man in the ponytail made himself a guest in my apartment and wont leave. I need help, this never happened before."
Its subtle, so theres no chance of people overhearing what she obviously wants to keep a secret.
>>
No. 743097 ID: 77e076
File 147155101254.gif - (666.79KB , 1600x1600 , 46.gif )
743097

(Animated)

You shake your head, forcing yourself to focus on the task at hand. Amelia Ito is a woman of above average attractiveness, but now is not the time to be super, super gay.

"I uh...actually I was looking for you. I need to ask you about something," you say, stumbling over your words a little bit. She's being very distracting, and you've never had to approach someone about...well, ghostbusting before.

"Oh?" she replies.

"Yeah," you tell her. "It's...well, it's about last night."
>>
No. 743098 ID: 77e076
File 147155104153.png - (1.31MB , 1600x1600 , 47.png )
743098

She freezes.

"The man with the ponytail you saw me with," you continue, trying to talk around the ghost problem, "Might have...made himself at home in my apartment. I need him out, but he doesn't seem...keen on leaving. I don't mean to assume, but...can you help me?"
>>
No. 743099 ID: 77e076
File 147155107119.png - (1.23MB , 1600x1600 , 48.png )
743099

Amelia's face shifts, and suddenly it's much, much more serious.

"Did he ask you to do anything for him? Errands, or something like that?" she asks. "Sorry, this is important."

You're not sure how much you should tell her about the case, and about what Keyes wants you to do.
>>
No. 743106 ID: 3abd97

>>743099
"...yeah. There's one thing he wanted. Which amounts to basically doing my job, so it's something I was going to anyways, but yeah, he did."

She knows you're a homicide detective, and she knows he's a ghost, so that makes it pretty clear what he asked you to do, without saying it.

Let's leave out the details of the case for the immediate moment. You're not supposed to share details of ongoing investigations with the public, and even if she does consult with the department sometimes, you don't know the nature of that relationship and what's appropriate for her to know, yet.

If she asks for more information, you'll have the opportunity to reconsider, and we might want to get into the gritty details of murder ghost stuff in a less public discussion?

Not sure how to bring it up, but we might want to ask if this is... what she does for the department, sometimes? Not to pry, but, it might be very important to know how seriously the people you work for take this stuff. It sort of makes the difference between keeping quiet and handling this on your own (can't tell the people above you you're crazy and seeing a ghost) or reporting the supernatural contact (oh, a murder-haunting? Here, fill out form 12-Z and we'll issue you a proton pack).
>>
No. 743239 ID: 44c567

You guys are still in a pretty public place, dunno how well it would be for unwanted ears to overhear a delicate matter like this. Perhaps you too should arrange a meeting somewhere a bit more private and when she isn't wearing something that keeps distracting your gay brain. Maybe you could even get Elliot to properly introduce himself like a nice ghost would and hopefully that'll speed things up with what must be done.
>>
No. 748219 ID: e3074b
File 147407742666.png - (1.04MB , 1600x1600 , 49.png )
748219

"...Yeah," you admit as Amelia climbs out of the pool. She reaches for a towel. "There's one thing he wanted. He asked me to, uh. Do my job. Which I was going to do anyway, but I'd rather not have him sticking around until I've finished."

She nods. You can't know for sure, but you think she caught your drift.

"Where is he now?" she asks.

"I don't know," you tell her. "I lost track of him after I got up this morning. Maybe he's fucked off somewhere else-"
>>
No. 748220 ID: e3074b
File 147407744886.png - (1.38MB , 1600x1600 , 50.png )
748220

"Oh, HEY, roomie!" says Keyes from directly behind you, and you almost fall into the pool. "Who's the gal pal? Is she single? Because I could totally hit that."

Amelia turns bright red and you scowl at him.

"She can hear you," you hiss under your breath, praying that nobody else overhears. "Can you go five minutes without being...fucking terrible?"

"Nope!" he says cheerfully and floats off to make the pool water unbearably cold.

>You guys are still in a pretty public place, dunno how well it would be for unwanted ears to overhear a delicate matter like this.

"They're right," Amelia says, pulling herself together. "We shouldn't talk here, and I have to open the store in twenty minutes. Are you free tonight?"

"They?" you ask.

"Oh. Nobody, I'm sorry. Seriously, can we talk later?"
>>
No. 748222 ID: 3abd97

>"They?"
Oh hey she can hear us. Hello, Amelia!

>"Oh. Nobody, I'm sorry. Seriously, can we talk later?"
There's probably not a ready made quick fix for this kind of thing, and she's already helping you. No need to push her. You can survive one day ignoring him.

"Yeah, okay.

"...Thank you, seriously."
>>
No. 748223 ID: 398fe1

Haha it must be weird to be aware of a group of disembodied voices that are subconsciously controlling someone right in front of you.
>>
No. 759074 ID: f0a8c0
File 147932376266.png - (1.52MB , 1600x1600 , 51.png )
759074

I'm not dead! Surprise! Quest should be updating more regularly from now on.

"Yeah, okay," you tell Amelia, and she nods at you. You can't exactly blame her for being busy, and you need to get cracking if you want to get in your workout before you need to be at the station.

"Good," she says, giving you a smile. Your knees feel a little weak.

"...Thank you, seriously," you tell her as she heads for the locker room.

"No problem!" she calls over her shoulder. "See you then?"

"See you then," you reply.

After that, working out all sort of blurs together, and before you know it you've finished. Now that there's no easy way to antagonize you, Keyes seems to mostly leave you alone, so it's just you and your thoughts.

You make a quick pitstop at home to change into your work clothes, and head off to work.
>>
No. 759075 ID: f0a8c0
File 147932380566.png - (836.71KB , 1600x1600 , 52.png )
759075

It's still early enough when you leave for work that the streets are relatively empty, filled only with fellow early-risers like you. It isn't until you're about halfway to the station that you begin to get the sinking feeling that you're being followed. You would ordinarily dismiss it as paranoia, but the feeling sticks with you for the next block, and you keep thinking that you see movement out of the corner of your eye.

There's an alley to your right you could turn down, if you wanted to get out of the public eye. There's also a cafe to your left that you can drop into, to discourage any shenanigans. Doing either of these things will take time, and could make you late.

Options:
1. Lose the tail. Duck into the alley.
2. Lose the tail. Duck into the cafe.
3. Keep going. You don't have time to waste.
>>
No. 759104 ID: 3abd97

>>759075
Head down, talk to yourself. "Keys, if you're still there, and want to do something useful, go snoop on the tail I've picked up. If they're following me, maybe they're related to your death, and getting a good look at them without them knowing I made them will help."

Then 3.

You live in a world where superheros are real and the department may have a psychic on call. Is there policy for what you do when the supernatural intrudes on a case? Would it be reasonable to tell anyone, or should we just pretend everything is normal?
>>
No. 759904 ID: aaa51c
File 147950457242.png - (912.83KB , 1600x1600 , 53.png )
759904

>You live in a world where superheroes are real and the department may have a psychic on call. Is there policy for what you do when the supernatural intrudes on a case? Would it be reasonable to tell anyone, or should we just pretend everything is normal?

To be honest, you didn't know ghosts were a real thing until last night. There are old wives' tales and urban legends about this sort of thing, but you consider yourself something of a skeptic.

Psychics are easier to explain. Lots of people have powers, not just heroes, of course. Some people have always claimed to be "psychic," but it had always been your opinion that they were overmystifying a perfectly natural phenomenon. With the ability to read minds or see into the past, it wouldn't be hard to pretend to be able to speak to ghosts.

Long story short, no, there's no procedure for "the ghost of this case's victim is haunting my sorry ass." You don't even know if Captain Manikowski would believe you.

Suggestions may now resume.
>>
No. 760020 ID: a107fd

Wacky theory: you yourself have a power that relates to ghosts somehow, or which produced something resembling a ghost. Make a mental note to narrow the possibilities by checking whether or not the ghost knows anything you couldn't possibly have picked up subconsciously.

Tell the chief that you've finally got Elliot Keys more-or-less cooperating with the investigation. When it is inevitably pointed out that the man is dead, nod and acknowledge, sigh, then say that it's some ridiculous magic bullshit which you'll fully explain in some sort of official report as soon as you figure it out yourself.

Then, order the ghost into an interrogation room and start asking the sort of questions you'd have if he'd somehow survived. What's the last thing he remembers? A glimpse of the attacker is probably too much to hope for, but getting the victim's perspective on known associates and other potential suspects is surely worth something.

Make sure he's manifested in some way the recording equipment can pick up, so you can review the tapes later (and prove you're not just crazy).
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason