[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
In memory of Flyin' Black Jackson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 580656)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 24201 unique user posts. View catalog

File 140360648707.png - (407.56KB , 700x500 , permafrostact1.png )
580656 No. 580656 ID: d5d724

Expand all images
>>
No. 580657 ID: d5d724
File 140360654482.png - (196.07KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 1.png )
580657

Rabbits are annoying quarries, small, fast and very alert.
>>
No. 580658 ID: d5d724
File 140360657182.png - (243.24KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 2.png )
580658

>>
No. 580659 ID: d5d724
File 140360660961.png - (264.07KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 3.png )
580659

but Katja is faster
>>
No. 580661 ID: d5d724
File 140360669068.png - (325.42KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 4.png )
580661

she is a lone hunter, and has had many years to practice with the sling. She's become quite good.
>>
No. 580662 ID: d5d724
File 140360674610.png - (254.65KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 5.png )
580662

too good. Really.

THUNK.
>>
No. 580668 ID: fbd785

you hit the rabbit! sucks for the rabbit but good for you. take the rabbit back to your home!
>>
No. 580669 ID: 48d2e2

She obviously has to skin it and such. Possibly offer prayer as some First Nation people have done or were thought to have done. But this opens up the possibility for a predator or scavenger to find her and her kill? I have no idea just throwing out opinions :P
>>
No. 580671 ID: d5d724
File 140361048642.png - (278.72KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 6.png )
580671

>She obviously has to skin it and such. Possibly offer prayer as some First Nation people have done or were thought to have done. But this opens up the possibility for a predator or scavenger to find her and her kill?

Skinning probably wouldn't be a smart idea right now, there are always hungry eyes watching, and if they spot a lone figure on the steppe not paying attention...

Katja inspects the rabbit.

It's a good size, for a change! Many of the rabbits and other game have been on the lean side recently with the slowly advancing snows.

She slips her prize into her bag to be skinned later, muttering a quiet prayer.

>take the rabbit back to your home!

Katja has a small camp near by, there aren't many sheltered places on the steppe that make good camp sites, but she's been here so long she knows where most of them are.

She could go back there, its out of the wind and the snow and hopefully out of sight of predators and people, but it isn't home.

She's never had one of those.
>>
No. 580672 ID: 76b151

Well, unless you think you can score another rabbit before it starts getting dark we might as well head to that campsite.

How well are you prepared for winter?
>>
No. 580674 ID: 2fd516

What time is it? Any other errands to do?
>>
No. 580675 ID: fbd785

go back to camp, take the rabbit with you. maybe if you're lucky you'll pass by other rabbits or animals that you can hunt.
>>
No. 580680 ID: d5d724
File 140361397602.png - (239.81KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 8.png )
580680

>How well are you prepared for winter?

Katja adjusted her furs. She was as prepared as she could be--winter is always harsh and bitterly cold, but animals are always slow when its cold, and game is easy picking. It's been so cold that the mammoths are coming back down from the north earlier than usual, but Katja isn't too worried.
>>
No. 580681 ID: 1c677c

Where is your club or spear? Are you going to defend yourself with a sling? Now would be a good time to replace the stone you lost hitting the prey. You're carrying a specific number of stones with you so you never have to worry too late?
>>
No. 580682 ID: d5d724
File 140361424782.png - (298.37KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 7.png )
580682

>What time is it? Any other errands to do?

Its getting on, its afternoon, there isn't much time for anything else. It'll take a while to get back to camp, and it'll be dark by then.



go back to camp, take the rabbit with you. maybe if you're lucky you'll pass by other rabbits or animals that you can hunt.

Heading back now would be the safest option, though Katja puts her sling back in her bag, there's not a whole lot of time for other animals.
>>
No. 580688 ID: d5d724
File 140361785539.png - (319.68KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 9.png )
580688

...?
>>
No. 580689 ID: d5d724
File 140361789535.png - (232.39KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 10.png )
580689

shit, shit shit shit shit, no no no NO
>>
No. 580690 ID: d5d724
File 140361794628.png - (222.01KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 11.png )
580690

I'm too close, I'm too close, I'm too close
>>
No. 580691 ID: 189a54

>>580690
Uh, back away carefully. If it attacks, stab straight for an eye with that spear of yours.
>>
No. 580695 ID: 9f04f1

Remember to stay away from its claws, and its arm-swing. Maybe try to play dead, but since you got a dead rabbit the bear might not be that easily fooled. Stand still and aim your spear at its eyes.
>>
No. 580696 ID: fbd785

Play dead maybe?
>>
No. 580698 ID: 50338d

Well, that's not good. We've failed rule one of bear safety. Stay at a distance from the bear.

Try making appeasing, calming noises while slowly backing away. Hopefully it lets you. If that doesn't work, get angry. Draw yourself up as big as possible, make yourself look threatening, yell at it. Make it clear you'll fight it it attacks. See if it backs down.

If it still comes for you, try tossing it the rabbit to distract it and run. If that doesn't work and you have to fight (let's face it, you can't outrun a bear), aim for the face, the eyes and nose. And frankly, pray.
>>
No. 580699 ID: a7868d

Well, it's too close to just run, it's on it's hind legs so it's not benign. It's a bear, tossing your kill at it won't help because it wont stop for that.

Stabbing it in the eye sounds nice, but nearly impossible and if missed the spear will strike the hardest part of it's skull. Srab it in the THROAT. Before you try, fill your lungs and let out the loudest, angriest yell you have ever given to let it know you are not to be fucked with.
>>
No. 580708 ID: 1c677c

What bear is it? Is it a grizzly bear or a brown bear? It's hard to see the possible grizzled silver in its pelt in this snowing. Is the bear acting defensively or offensively? Are we supposed to know? Doesn't look like making threats yet.

Look at the position of his/her ears. They arent's sloped backwards at all and the hair hasn't risen in the back of her neck.

If the bear attacks, it will aim at your head and try to throw you around from there. Duck and point your spear defensively where your head should be.
>>
No. 580710 ID: 0c9fa4

>>580690

fuck that bear right the fuck up up teddy roosevelt boxing style
>>
No. 580711 ID: 53abfc

throw the rabbit at it
>>
No. 580712 ID: 146dc6

Stay quiet, don't appear too threatening. Back off slowly. If it attacks, go for the eye and run. It'll be wounded, so it likely won't come after you.
>>
No. 580715 ID: 33022b

It probably can smell you and your rabbit, so staying still may be a bad plan. Make yourself as threatening as possible by taking one of your larger furs and holding it over your head to make yourself appear bigger
>>
No. 580719 ID: c3ad33

i think it's too late to try backing away or playing dead. puff yrself up as big as u can and make as much noise as possible. if that doesn't seem to stall the bear at all, i second >>580708
in terms of how to deal with an attack.
>>
No. 580721 ID: d315b1

okay I got this shit
Bears will almost always open up with a right-handed swing at eye level; when that fails, they'll usually try to knock you to the ground. Best thing to do is evade that first swing, then brace your spear against the dirt and try to get him to fall on it (you're not going to do much damage otherwise).

Oh, and it's generally best to do this from a position where the bear doesn't have the high ground.
>>
No. 580728 ID: ec9d8b

You've described yourself as too good with a sling, load up a bullet and go for the eyes Boo GO FOR THE EYES! There is good eating and wearing on a bear!
>>
No. 580805 ID: d5d724
File 140365357197.png - (329.97KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 12.png )
580805

>What bear is it? Is it a grizzly bear or a brown bear? It's hard to see the possible grizzled silver in its pelt in this snowing. Is the bear acting defensively or offensively? Are we supposed to know? Doesn't look like making threats yet. 

It's a large, male cave bear, the largest predator on the steppes, large enough to pull down horses and elk. Katja has seen brave bears take young and baby mammoths when food's been scarce enough. The bear is standing and chuffing, like most young male bears he is trying to intimidate, the behaviour is defensive, for now, but young males are unpredictable.

>i think it's too late to try backing away or playing dead. puff yrself up as big as u can and make as much noise as possible

Katja throws her hands up, and starts yelling, but her voice is hoarse from the cold:

"Back off, back off! Get out of here, go on!" She uses her spear, and her furs to try and make herself larger, swinging her arms and shouting, "Back off!"
>>
No. 580806 ID: d5d724
File 140365367612.png - (254.16KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 13.png )
580806

The bear starts chuffing again, a guttural sound deep from the creature's chest. It's gotten onto all fours, lowered its head and put its ears back.

He's not going to back down.
>>
No. 580807 ID: d5d724
File 140365370870.png - (274.77KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 14.png )
580807

>>
No. 580809 ID: d5d724
File 140365373923.png - (291.00KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 15.png )
580809

>>
No. 580812 ID: d5d724
File 140365396252.png - (366.59KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 16.png )
580812

>Bears will almost always open up with a right-handed swing at eye level; when that fails, they'll usually try to knock you to the ground. Best thing to do is evade that first swing, then brace your spear against the dirt and try to get him to fall on it (you're not going to do much damage otherwise).

Katja's well aware of how bears attack, she bends her knees and readies herself. The bear will try to swing at her with its leading paw, and she can roll out of the way--

Oh, and it's generally best to do this from a position where the bear doesn't have the high ground.

--oh
>>
No. 580816 ID: 146dc6

You should stand your ground anyways. Maybe it'll still work from below! Think positive, right?
>>
No. 580819 ID: e1609c

>>580812
Well, nothing for it now. Brace yourself, it goes without saying you should try to avoid dying.
>>
No. 580822 ID: b6178d

Any ravines or steep inclines nearby?

Jumping down one might give the bear pause.

Of course, you're probably gonna get hurt. Question is how much.
>>
No. 580823 ID: 53abfc

I still say throw the rabbit at it to distract it. He's gotta be hungry and the smell of fresh food may be enough to distract him.
>>
No. 580827 ID: e1609c

>>580823
Favicon put up for approval, yo. Sweet art you've got in here too.
>>
No. 580837 ID: fa159f

>>580823
Seconded. You can always get another rabbit. Internal organs are harder to come by.
>>
No. 580848 ID: 6f5d07

hope that your spear is sharp and strong and for a miracle
>>
No. 580868 ID: 76b151

Rabbit throwing has already been stated not to work. The bear is focused on Katja now.
>>
No. 580878 ID: fbd785

is there a chance you can run away?? not to camp, you'll lead it there, but maybe you could confuse it?
>>
No. 580882 ID: d5d724
File 140366600383.png - (289.55KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 17.png )
580882

>Any ravines or steep inclines nearby? Jumping down one might give the bear pause.


Katja glances behind her, there's a steep hill heading down onto the plain. She can't see any rocks, but then again, the grass is long.

She can hear the bear charging towards her, and see its shadow close in.
>>
No. 580883 ID: d5d724
File 140366603167.png - (397.21KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 18.png )
580883

>>
No. 580884 ID: d5d724
File 140366606548.png - (397.33KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 19.png )
580884

>>
No. 580885 ID: d5d724
File 140366616484.png - (296.88KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 20.png )
580885

The bear careens to the edge of the hill and pauses, chuffing.

He's lost interest, he won't come down the hillside, he's pacing but he won't come down. He is still grunting and chuffing under his breath, but after a moment, departs.
>>
No. 580888 ID: 0c9fa4

Search for nuts and berries
>>
No. 580889 ID: 1a5966

alrighty time to change whatever she has for underwear
and if she needs a good cry we won't blame her
>>
No. 580890 ID: fa159f

Head back to camp. Probably a good idea to relocate in case the bear decides to turn back around.
>>
No. 580891 ID: 2fd516

>>580885
That's pretty fortunate. Didn't have to fight a bear after all! Check yourself for any injuries from the fall, then continue on.
>>
No. 580936 ID: d5d724
File 140367310565.png - (332.89KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 21.png )
580936

>That's pretty fortunate. Didn't have to fight a bear after all! Check yourself for any injuries from the fall, then continue on

It is, Katja's surprised that the bear lost interest. She doesn't fully believe it did--it was too fast, and he was really going for her... There might have been another reason for it.

Katja can feel bruises already forming on her body. She winces against the pain, and checks her limbs, fingers, and toes, but lucky for her, nothing is broken, although her troublesome knee is now hurting.
>>
No. 580937 ID: d5d724
File 140367317841.png - (331.25KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 22.png )
580937

>Head back to camp. Probably a good idea to relocate in case the bear decides to turn back around.

She best hurry back to camp, the bear might come around down the hill another way, it'd be best to get out of here fast--Wait--Where did her bag and spear go?

"Shit," Katja moaned.

They must have been scattered when she rolled down the hill. She vaguely remembered letting go of her spear in the rush and seeing it hurtle off somewhere.
>>
No. 580939 ID: fbd785

look around, maybe your bag and spear are nearby.
>>
No. 580944 ID: 2fd516

>>580937
The grass isn't too tall here, you should be able to see your stuff pretty quickly. Considering the possibility that the bear is just taking another route to get to you, you should get your stuff quickly and get out of sight fast.
>>
No. 580947 ID: 1f8505

>>580937

Look for the bag and spear. Hopefully with the rabbit still in it.
>>
No. 580952 ID: 0c9fa4

That bear stole your shit find that shitlord and show them what for
>>
No. 580957 ID: d5d724
File 140367631918.png - (304.83KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 23.png )
580957

>The grass isn't too tall here, you should be able to see your stuff pretty quickly. Considering the possibility that the bear is just taking another route to get to you, you should get your stuff quickly and get out of sight fast.

Ah, there it is. Katja breathes a quiet sigh of relief, if she had lost her bad and spear she would be defenceless out here. She peered up at the sky, it was getting darker, and the snow was falling steadily now. Katja shakily got to her feet, still a little dazed from her roll, she'll need to gather her gear quickly and head for her camp, lest the bear decided to return.
>>
No. 580958 ID: d5d724
File 140367634396.png - (324.00KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 24.png )
580958

>>
No. 580960 ID: d5d724
File 140367638091.png - (352.40KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 25.png )
580960

Hyena!

Cave Hyena!
>>
No. 580961 ID: 0c9fa4

Hyena? More like free meat. Eat it alive.
>>
No. 580963 ID: d5d724
File 140367659527.png - (371.25KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 26.png )
580963

Katja froze, half crouched in the grass. She surveyed the steppe around her quickly before fixing her gaze on the hyena. Strange, there's only one. Hyenas normally travel in large packs of fifteen to twenty, and are fearsome predators in their own right. She can't tell what gender it is, since hyenas all had similar looking genitals. She wouldn't be too worried if it was a male, male hyenas tended to be submissive and quiet, but this one... This was a big creature, far larger than the largest female cave hyenas that Katja had seen on the steppe. With that size, it had to be female… but… even then… its too big.

She lowered herself onto her stomach, lying flat in the grass, head low.

It didn't seem to notice her; it seems to fixated on the rabbit in her bag. Katja eyed the spear scarcely a few feet in front of it. She needed her spear, that was her only one and it could take hours to make a new one, and she'd have nothing during that time.

She bit her lip.

She couldn't spend too long thinking, soon enough it would wolf down that rabbit whole and become aware of her.

Fucking hell. This is the last thing she needs.
>>
No. 580964 ID: 6f5d07

a new threat? how about lying low; it probably doesn't notice you being distracted by dead rabbit.
>>
No. 580965 ID: 1f8505

>>580963

Throw a rock and distract it. Then sneak up and grab the spear.
>>
No. 580966 ID: cdd686

proceed to make distinctly high pitched uncomfortable noises of distress for an unreasonable amount of time, as both stress relief and the hope the noise will confuse and scare off the cave hyena
>>
No. 580969 ID: 76b151

Is bringing a rabbit in to eat always this difficult?
>>
No. 580979 ID: 9edc38

>>580963
Tame it. I do not have any idea how, but its huge, furry, and would be a pretty decent boon on hunts.
>>
No. 580980 ID: 9edc38

>>580965
Also, to append anon's suggestion: not AT it.
>>
No. 580981 ID: d8a627

>>580966
Except cave hyenas are social animals, she says. Social animals don't get scared off by loud, high pitched noises. It's possible it'll work since this one's alone, but there's no guarentee.
>>
No. 580985 ID: 48d2e2

Rush toward the spear, the sudden movement should hopefully scare the hyena off enough to allow you to reach the spear for a minimal defence
>>
No. 580995 ID: d5d724
File 140369210127.png - (363.56KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 27.png )
580995

>Throw a rock and distract it. Then sneak up and grab the spear.

Katja snatches up stone from between the grass, holding it tightly between her cold fingers. She took aim, and threw.

>not AT it

Oh.
>>
No. 580996 ID: d5d724
File 140369212644.png - (204.01KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 28.png )
580996

>>
No. 580997 ID: d5d724
Audio snarling.mp3 - (6.03KB )
580997

>>
No. 580998 ID: d5d724
File 140369221561.png - (348.39KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 29.png )
580998

"no, no! Go! Shoo! Come on, please, just leave--"
>>
No. 580999 ID: 189a54

>>580998
Roll out of the way with your spear, enjoy epic nature battle as the bear and the hyena tear each other up.
>>
No. 581000 ID: d5d724
File 140369248491.png - (353.26KB , 700x500 , permafrost panel 30.png )
581000

Katja stifled a small scream.

The bear snorted, rearing up and watching them. He was not as tall this time, the sounds he was making were low and soft, a nervous, and worried sound.

The hyena's grating snarls and low grunts got louder, and more irritable--Is the bear is worried about the hyena? She could see the bear watching her, and turning its head to the hyena when the hyena's sharp snarls grew to nasty, scraping barks. It was hesitating.

The hyena doesn't seem to care or notice Katja, its growls directed at the bear.
>>
No. 581002 ID: fbd785

get out of the way! whatever's happening, it's between the bear and hyena, maybe if you discreetly crawl away neither of them will notice.
>>
No. 581004 ID: 2fd516

>>581000
Sortof edge over to the side so you're not in the way. Observe the Hyena. Is it behaving oddly?
>>
No. 581006 ID: 2eb028

inb4 they gang up on her and split the meal
>>
No. 581011 ID: 1c677c

If the hyena is going to run away you could abandon your spear and your bag to run away and split from the hyena, and when the bear is hopefully gone, you could return to your bag and get your spear.
>>
No. 581016 ID: 33022b

Shuffle out of the way!! If the bear and hyena want to fight, let them. You will probably be able to grab your things and run home if you are careful
>>
No. 581022 ID: d6e000

Back dat hyena up
Defeat bear
>>
No. 581024 ID: cdd686

as the cave hyena appears to be making distinctly high pitch noises for you, rethink life choices. you could have accidentally befriended it and rode off into the sunset eating yummy rabbit. maybe it's not too late.

let's side with the hyena and beat down a brown bear. gather the rocks
>>
No. 581029 ID: 1a5966

take a moment to ponder why all these animals are cave-whatevers and there are no caves to be found
>>
No. 581032 ID: 438d31

>>581029
I see mountains in the distance and there could be small caves in the ravine. Just because they live in caves do not mean they spend their whole lives in caves.

But yeah, back away a bit and try to get your spear. Either we help one side win, or we kill the victor and get a two for one deal. Either way, do not get in the way.
>>
No. 581102 ID: d5d724
File 140374088492.png - (307.31KB , 700x500 , panel 32.png )
581102

>take a moment to ponder why all these animals are cave-whatevers and there are no caves to be found

that would be because Paleontologists are unimaginative and most remains are found in caves

Many predators, including humans, live in caves here, either in the foothills of the mountains or in the valleys carved by rivers. They are natural places of shelter and protection and occupants rotate. Sometimes hyenas will live in a cave, then a few months later a lion, and then humans. They are not permanent homes.

>Observe the Hyena. Is it behaving oddly?

The hyena is behaving strangely, hyenas are normally fearful when alone, and do not attack other predators without pack members to back them up. The hyena's tail and mane are both erect, indicating alertness and aggression, directed at the bear.

There are multiple possibilities for its focus and aggressiveness towards the bear; It might see Katja as another hyena and wants to protect her, it might see her as another, smaller predator, and since hyenas are very clever, might be trying to aid her so they can both defeat a common enemy, lastly, the hyena might simply just hate bears.
Katja wouldn't blame it if it did.

>let's side with the hyena and beat down a brown bear. gather the rocks

Katja shuffles around out from between the two animals and scrambles over to hear gear. The bear snorts and attempts to walk towards her, but the hyena snaps its jaws in the bear's direction, and it backs down with quiet whimpering. Whatever the reasons for the hyena's protection, intentional or not, Katja will not let the animal fight alone, and now that the bear is worried and nervous, there is a greater chance she and the hyena can drive it away.

Katja yanks her spear from the frozen earth, and snatches up her sling and a few stones on the ground, fumbling as she fits the stone.

She's never tried to use a sling on anything bigger than a deer, and she doesn't hold much hope for success.
>>
No. 581108 ID: e1609c

>>581104
You have a spear, wait for an opportunity to poke the bear with the pointy end while the hyena and the bear get toothy with each other.
>>
No. 581109 ID: d5d724
File 140374187534.png - (210.50KB , 700x500 , panel 33.png )
581109

it appears that bear skulls are very thick
>>
No. 581116 ID: d5d724
File 140374456650.png - (287.95KB , 700x500 , panel 34.png )
581116

Katja loads her sling for another shot, but stops. The hyena lowers its head, and then raises it in a great arc, with single, loud, whooping call.

Something happens, a wave spreads out from the hyena, through the grass, like a powerful gust, sweeping out in all directions. The wave hits Katja and she gasps, the wind knocked out of her. She collapses to the ground, clutching her stomach. She can feel each echo of the hyena's call sending out wave across the step, she can feel it in her bones, deep within her chest she can feel that wave pass through, making her ribs ache. She can feel it in her head, a a sharp pounding in her temples, digging into her brain as it passes.
>>
No. 581117 ID: d5d724
Audio single_whoop.mp3 - (8.49KB , single whoop.mp3 )
581117

>>
No. 581118 ID: d5d724
File 140374461443.png - (406.25KB , 700x500 , panel 35.png )
581118

>>
No. 581119 ID: d5d724
File 140374465174.png - (307.37KB , 700x500 , panel 36.png )
581119

Katja struggles for breath, crouched on the ground. The hyena is silent, but she can hear the bear moaning and whimpering. She risks a glance upwards, and sees the bear, paws to its head, letting out pitiful, pained cries. The bear tosses its head, and hurtles down the hill and onto the plain, yowling as it flees.

The hyena is still, standing tall in the grass, tail erect, and watching the figure of the bear shrink.

It turns around to her, lowering its mane and hackles. Katja doesn't know what to do.
>>
No. 581120 ID: 2fd516

>>581119
Ask the Hyena "Man what"

Consider giving it the rabbit as a measure of thanks and maybe also to make friends with such a powerful ally.
>>
No. 581122 ID: e1609c

>>581119
Well this is some freaky supernatural hogwash right here.
Still, least the freaky supernatural hogwash is on OUR side. Thank the hyena with the rabbit.
>>
No. 581126 ID: dc4b80

Did you just run into a Hyena god or something? Give it the rabbit and hope it doesn't do that again.
>>
No. 581127 ID: a28869

Good goddess, why they have to be a spotted one? You can't outrun them, so just maintain visual contact, try to gain some distance and be prepared to leave the rabbit corpse behind. Or you can just try talking with them, who knows? Any history about spotted hyenas and the like? Anyway, it's a miracle that you are still alive. Really.
>>
No. 581130 ID: 1a5966

accept the hyena as your lady and savior
>>
No. 581132 ID: d8a627

Guys, again: Spotted (or in this case, Cave) Hyenas are social animals. Most social species are quite friendly if you are, and though Hyenas are an exception, they are simply neutral.

This Hyena is likely a an Apex Matriarch, though she may have somehow lost her clan. If she intends to be friendly to Katja, then it likely means she considers Katja to be a member of her "new" clan. In such a case, Katja might be able to get a leg of the rabbit, but still have to relinquish the rest to the Matriarch.

Gonna pop over to the discussion about this Apex Matriarch thing if anybody wants to ask me what I mean or if I'm crazy for mixing those words together.
>>
No. 581167 ID: 2eb028

>>581119
i think you made a weird-ass friend.

or maybe you should run? i'm not sure.
>>
No. 581175 ID: d5d724
File 140375934648.png - (216.98KB , 700x500 , panel 37.png )
581175

>Good goddess, why they have to be a spotted one? You can't outrun them, so just maintain visual contact, try to gain some distance and be prepared to leave the rabbit corpse behind. Or you can just try talking with them, who knows? Any history about spotted hyenas and the like? Anyway, it's a miracle that you are still alive. Really.

Katja is lucky to be alive, in fact, part of her thinks this is all a strange dream. She is not going to attempt to outrun the hyena, not when it knows of the existence of the rabbit in her bag, plus, that sound… She doesn't want to have that happen again.

No one really worships or likes hyenas, they compete for food and shelter, and frequently steal hard earned kills. Katja remembers that her old clan leader used to call people who were lazy or untrustworthy "hyenas in human skin". There isn't very good eating on a hyena, the meat tastes off and can make people sick. Their pelt is also ugly, and coarse, and not good for wearing, and because they travel in huge packs, it's too much trouble to attempt to bring one down for almost nothing in return.

Katja vaguely remembers how her mother told her that when they travelled, they never went east because there were so many hyenas. "The east," she used to say, "Is where all the hyenas are born," and that they travelled west to make their own clans, and hunt.

>Did you just run into a Hyena god or something?

Maybe, but Katja doesn't know of any hyena gods, or even hyena spirits. People don’t worship them and there is no point to hunting them, and thus no need for a protective spirit. There, is nothing about the hyena that people would want to emulate, at least, not to Katja's knowledge. That sound though, that was some kind of magic, some kind of wild magic that even the Shamans don't have access to--It is certainly no ordinary creature.

>This Hyena is likely a an Apex Matriarch, though she may have somehow lost her clan. If she intends to be friendly to Katja, then it likely means she considers Katja to be a member of her "new" clan

Katja thinks this idea through. She knows that hyena females are the leaders, and do "pick" new members for clans, but this hyena is awfully quiet. A female leader greeting a lone, non-clan member hyena would be aggressive and assertive, with tail in the air and mane raised, to assert her dominance, but this one, while not being submissive, just seems neutral, and quiet. It is not making the grunts, whines an calls that Katja is used to hearing when hyenas get together.

>give it the rabbit as a measure of thanks

Katja resolves to give the hyena what it wanted in the first place. She's upset and disappointed about losing her kill, but at the same time, the memory of what the hyena did to the bear is still fresh in her mind. She calls it close with low, soft sounds; the soft grunting "ooo" sounds that hyenas make when they're greeting one another. She keeps her body low to the ground, and offers the rabbit.
>>
No. 581176 ID: d5d724
File 140375940064.png - (334.54KB , 700x500 , panel 38.png )
581176

Now that the hyena is close, Katja can see just how big it really is. Most hyenas, even the largest ones, stood no taller than her waist. This one, however, towered over her, its shoulder would have reached the middle of her upper arm, and if it had stretched its neck up, could look at her right in the eye.

She holds the rabbit out at arm's length, and the hyena regards her.
>>
No. 581177 ID: d5d724
File 140375945405.png - (228.72KB , 700x500 , panel 39.png )
581177

>>
No. 581179 ID: d5d724
File 140375949837.png - (233.86KB , 700x500 , panel 39_2.png )
581179

"HELLO"
>>
No. 581181 ID: d5d724
File 140375958027.png - (223.98KB , 700x500 , panel 40.png )
581181

it's a male.
>>
No. 581182 ID: d8a627

>>581179
Either this is a dream, or you did encoutner a god... Yikes.

After fumbling about the idea of a talking Hyena, say hello back!
>>
No. 581188 ID: fbd785

say hello, you don't want to be rude to this alpha-hyena-god-thing anyways. are talking hyena's common around here?
>>
No. 581189 ID: 2fd516

>>581181
WOW, he's like a human in hyena skin. Now what do you think that means? Let's get the "Holy shit you can talk?!" out of the way along with "Why are you so BIG?!" and "What was that thing you did to drive off the bear?" You should also ask his name.

It seems like he's not that interested in the rabbit so put it away maybe.
>>
No. 581192 ID: bb78f2

Okay, that hyena's giving you the eye and that's freaky.
>>
No. 581195 ID: 1f8505

"Uh... h-hello. How are you?"
>>
No. 581204 ID: 50338d

Um. Hello. Thank you for helping with the bear?

...I've never met an animal that could talk before.

Vaguely wonder to yourself if you hit your head when you threw yourself down that incline.
>>
No. 581207 ID: a28869

> it's a male.
That's the first thing that come to your mind!?

Okay... Are you high? If not, try pinching your cheek.
>>
No. 581208 ID: dc4b80

So the voice is male then? Also is he giving you a "why hello there" look? Because a flirty hyena was not expected.
>>
No. 581220 ID: 1a5966

now now, katja, we can't be imposing genders on creatures just based off of physical characteristics like voice

we need to ask for the hyena's name and pronouns. but do it while walking back to wherever you're spending the night
>>
No. 581227 ID: d5d724
File 140377266734.png - (355.64KB , 700x500 , panel 41.png )
581227

>After fumbling about the idea of a talking Hyena, say hello back!

Katja gulps, her mouth is dry. She stares up at the hyena wide eyed, and croaks back, out of instinct more than anything, "H-hello… H-how are you?"

The hyena drops to the ground, and crawls on its knees, head held low with his tail flicking, and says, in that overly cheery voice, "I AM NON-THREATENING AND VERY SMALL NOW. HELLO AGAIN. I AM WELL."

Katja stares in disbelief.

>are talking hyena's common around here?

No, but some clans have stories about hyena's mimicking the voices of loved ones during the night and luring people off so they could be attacked--but Katja just thought of them like her clan thought of them, slobbering, cowardly, and aggressive animals. She's never heard any animal ever talk, and hasn't heard of any stories that weren't warnings for children or tales of caution.

>WOW, he's like a human in hyena skin. Now what do you think that means?

Impossible, the only people who can turn into animals are the Shamans, and when they do, they lose all aspects of humanity--But again… she eyed him, it would appear that anything is possible, but why the gods and spirits would allow this to happen is beyond her.
>>
No. 581228 ID: d5d724
File 140377273858.png - (382.31KB , 700x500 , panel 42.png )
581228

>Ask him his name

Katja gulps her fear down again, peering at the hyena, who continues to roll on the ground on his elbows, watching her with that foolish smile.

"W-what's your name?" She asks, voice cracking.

The hyena smiles, baring those big teeth.

"THEY CALL ME MANY THINGS, THE WARAMA, THE URU'UK, THE HYENA. THEY CALL ME THE HYENA THE MOST, SO THAT IS MY NAME, THE HYNEA." He declares with a broad grin.

Katja stares, "who are 'they'?" She asks quietly.

The Hyena stands up again, but keeps his posture low, "EVERYONE," He answers.

This can't be happening.
>>
No. 581230 ID: d5d724
File 140377283281.png - (248.01KB , 700x500 , panel 43.png )
581230

>"Why are you so BIG?!" and "What was that thing you did to drive off the bear?"

"Why are you so big? A-nd what did you do to the bear?" Katja asks, clearing her throat and speaking clearly. She has fully given over to the idea that this is all a dream now, none of this is real, it just can't be real.

The Hyena was busy scratching behind his ears, "BECAUSE I AM ME, AND I AM VERY BIG NOW" He answers, and then adds, "WHY ARE YOU SO SMALL?" He looks up and over the plain, and announces jovially, "THE BEAR IS GONE NOW. I MADE MY VOICE VERY BIG."
>>
No. 581231 ID: 76b151

Yup, I'm getting definite god vibes from this one. Thank him for his help and ask if there is anything you can do for him.

If there is nothing he wants... I guess head back to camp? It is getting dark after all and you still have to skin and cook that rabbit.
>>
No. 581232 ID: 2fd516

>>581230
Ask if he can teach you to do that. You can hunt for him in return, maybe?
>>
No. 581233 ID: d8a627

>>581230
Well, dreams are fun. And Dreams of Gods or Spirits are not just dreams, they are Visions. Every animal has its Spirit, Katja, although, I agree. The Hyena showing up is a bit... Suspicious. He probably wants something. Try and figure out what it is, and be prepared for riddles, lies, and general trickery.

You are small, because "I am me, as you are you. If you are big and I am small, then to you, I am small. But the rabbit is smaller, so I am big, too."
Is he the Spirit of the Hyenas? Whether yes or no, did he want something specific from you, or did he just decide he didn't like that bear? If it's the latter, does he want something from you now?
>>
No. 581234 ID: f3cf5a

>because I'm me
I guess that means he is a singularity...
He may appear naiv/dumb because of the simple speech, but his actions are pretty intelligent...
After all because of them you are still here and instead of covering in fear or running away, you talk to him.

So, what does he want to do next?
Anything he wants to ask you?
>>
No. 581240 ID: dc4b80

I would rather be confused than being mauled by a bear or hyena honestly.

He seems a ok sort so ask if he wants any belly scratches. Then find out more about him and if he wants anything.
>>
No. 581241 ID: fbd785

"Why can you talk? Most hyenas around here don't talk."
>>
No. 581242 ID: 2eb028

oh my fuck, magical god mount
>>
No. 581243 ID: 1c677c

C'mon, you just found a business partner. And it seriously has only been like a short nap worth of daytime passed. Talk about hunting. It's not easy to be a hunter because of the advancing snows- A hunter's business is survival after all. Why throw a stone away if there's no pray to hit with it?

>>Many of the rabbits and other game have been on the lean side recently with the slowly advancing snows.

Talk about this, where do the game go? What is it like there if he knows. This is all respectful and social.
>>
No. 581260 ID: 6b7ea4

well, first of all, thank him for getting rid of the bear!
i feel like asking him why he can talk will just get another "because i'm me" response - so maybe ask why other hyenas CAN'T talk the way he can?
>>
No. 581281 ID: d315b1

rub his belly
do it
>>
No. 581291 ID: e56e7a

Thank him for making the bear leave and give him rabbit.
>>
No. 581383 ID: fb1b4b

i second the motion to rub the hyena-belly
(although you should probably, you know, ask)
>>
No. 581394 ID: cdd686

tell him that you'll get bigger someday too. we can't all just show outta no where huge sized. that's what the dinosaurs did and look what happened to them, no seriously what did happen to them. where did they go. is this whats happening to the rabbits. is there some kind of cosmic size restrictions?

while pondering the mysteries of the universe maybe we should find some shelter ourselves. cook us some rabbit, invite the neighbors- mr the hyena, you know. survival stuff
>>
No. 581410 ID: 7c55d2

"Why did you save me?"
>>
No. 581454 ID: 6c3156

Ask him what kind of magic it was that he used, and if he can teach it to you. Say thank you to him because he saved you and try to make friends.
>>
No. 581507 ID: 02db57

He seems friendly, willing to greet and act non-threatening. Thank him and ask where he lives perhaps? If he's alone (though it seems he is) and what he is doing here. You need to hunt more though as you have given up your only kill.....
>>
No. 581536 ID: 07c56d

Thank him, then ask if there's anything you can do in return. Maybe ask if he knows of any other creatures who can make their voice very big, if it was something he learned or always knew how to do.
>>
No. 581572 ID: f64f41
File 140391644758.png - (307.98KB , 700x500 , panel 44.png )
581572

>well, first of all, thank him for getting rid of the bear!
>Thank him for making the bear leave and give him rabbit

Katja gets to her feet. Her bad knee is hurting a little, but she doesn't show it. She clears her throat, "Well," She says, awkwardly, "Th-Thank you, spirit, for helping me, and getting rid of the bear." She stands and holds out the rabbit again, "I don't have anything I can offer to you in return, except for this."

She feels strange talking, the words and sounds are foreign in her mouth, she hasn't spoken this much in years--she… hasn't really had any reason to.

The Hyena eyes the rabbit, "YOUNG BEAR WAS UNWELCOME, WITH YOU HERE OR NOT. IS SMALL KILL ALL YOU HAVE?"

Katja nods quietly.

The Hyena clicks his teeth, "KEEP SMALL KILL. YOU ARE VERY SMALL MAN-PUP, EATING MIGHT MAKE YOU BIG."

She retracts her hand, and fumbles as she places the rabbit back into her bag. Her hands are shaking a little and her heart is still pounding very fast. She knows how to pray and ask spirits for help, and thank them for a kill or for a shelter, but she's never--been face to face with one.

>Ask him if he wants anything
>What does he want you to do next?

She closes her bag watching the Hyena move around out of the corner of her eye, and spoke again, "Is-Is there anything else you want from me?" She asks.

The Hyena looks up, ears pricked, "[small]NO.
"
>>
No. 581573 ID: f64f41
File 140391647479.png - (365.07KB , 700x500 , panel 45.png )
581573

Katja works her mouth a little, gripping her spear tightly. She feels very odd and out of place.

>I guess head back to camp? It is getting dark after all and you still have to skin and cook that rabbit.

She nods to the hyena, and steps back a little, "It's getting dark--I should get going--thank you again, spirit, safe travels."

"GOOD BYE."
>>
No. 581574 ID: f64f41
File 140391654104.png - (310.70KB , 700x500 , panel 46.png )
581574

Katja turns, and starts heading down the hillside, heading to the edge of the creek. She can almost feel the Hyena's eyes on the back of her head as she walks away. She glanced back over her shoulder, and sees the Hyena following along, some distance behind her. She turns back and keeps her eyes straight and keeps walking. After several minutes she looks over her shoulder again. He's still following her, and isn't hiding it. Or at least, not hiding it very well.
>>
No. 581579 ID: dc4b80

If he is going to follow you home you might as well chat with him while he does so. Motion for him to come over and talk with him while you walk home.
>>
No. 581580 ID: 2fd516

Tell him if he's gonna follow you, you may as well chat as you do so.

Ask him about what he does in general. Does he have any friends? What does he do when not hunting? Are there others like him?
>>
No. 581582 ID: 0d1067

Just keep walking and don't look back. If he wanted to speak to you he would have alreadt
>>
No. 581604 ID: b38186

you might as well just have him follow you. if he were bad-intentioned he would have done something already, and he seems to be as 'on your side' as a talking hyena can be.
>>
No. 581605 ID: 1f8505

>>581574

Address the hyena spirit.

"So uh... would you like to join me for some rabbit?"
>>
No. 581613 ID: 50338d

...do you wish to travel with me?
>>
No. 581623 ID: d8a627

I... Don't really have any way of stopping you if you wanted to visit the camp, so if you want to see it, please, follow a little closer so I don't feel like I'm being spied on.
>>
No. 581638 ID: 1c677c

Shoo! I already talked with you! Don't make me late from camp it's harder to find in dark!
>>
No. 581650 ID: b6178d

Be direct. Ask what interest it has in you.
>>
No. 581651 ID: 07c56d

Let the spirit do as it wishes to. He will probably come an talk later if he has something to say, but maybe warn him that other of her kind might not like him near the camp. Just, you know, to warn him.
>>
No. 581713 ID: a84063

>>581651
It appears she's alone out there. If she had a tribe, she would have been more familiar with speaking.

On that note, he may be following Katja to see if she has bigger friends around -- assessing the situation. Could be good or bad.
>>
No. 581749 ID: 1a5966

katja, you were very rude and didn't introduce yourself. however, he doesn't seem to have given you his true name, so you shouldn't either. maybe go by something like 'blue-eyes' or 'one-who-is-badass-with-sling.' (you can wait until you get back to camp, just so he doesn't know you know he's following you)
>>
No. 581798 ID: 797554

He isn't talking to you, no reason to talk to him. Just go home, skin that bunny and get you some dinner.
>>
No. 581940 ID: 2eb028

>>581574
tell him he can come with you if he promises not to eat you.
>>
No. 582048 ID: 7c55d2

Invite him to walk with her instead of trailing behind.
>>
No. 582103 ID: 000499

ask him if he wants to join! i mean, apparently he's gonna anyway, but at least this way you can pretend you have some choice in the matter.
>>
No. 582571 ID: 2629f1
File 140436344577.png - (345.18KB , 700x500 , panel 47.png )
582571

>Just keep walking and don't look back. If he wanted to speak to you he would have already

He doesn't sound especially smart--But he is a lot larger than her, and of course something not natural. She decides that walking on and ignoring him is probably the best course of action. Perhaps he will become uninterested and leave her alone? Sometimes predators will do that.


>On that note, he may be following Katja to see if she has bigger friends around -- assessing the situation. Could be good or bad.

It's entirely possible he is assessing the situation, he might be curious about how many she has with her. So far he wouldn't know that she was alone, she might be able to fool him into thinking there are many other clanspeople that could attack him--But that doesn't seem like it will work. He might be fooled for a few seconds, but he'd soon figure out she is the only one in the camp.

>katja, you were very rude and didn't introduce yourself.

Katja makes a face and swears under her breath, too quiet for the Hyena to hear. She chastises herself for not telling the creature her name in kind. She eyes him loping along behind her, and calls, "My name is Katja, by the way--"

>however, he doesn't seem to have given you his true name, so you shouldn't either

--Oh.

"WHERE IS YOUR DEN SITE?" The Hyena asks. She keeps her back to him and continues on her path, "Up ahead." She admits, sheepishly. She probably shouldn't tell him, but if he is truly a spirit, then there would be nothing she could do to prevent him from knowing, "Why?"

"YOU TRAVEL TOO FAR FROM DEN."


Katja continues on, ignoring her shadow as she travels deeper into the creek cut valleys of the steppe. She crests a small hill, and comes into view of the rock hill side where her camp lay hidden. Behind her she can hear the Hyena's slow approach through the grass and low panting. She grits her teeth but continues on. Katja approaches the small cave entrance.
>>
No. 582573 ID: 2629f1
File 140436352322.png - (226.76KB , 700x500 , panel 48.png )
582573

She'd chosen this site for this very reason. It was a small opening, too small for many predators and even people. It could be easily missed and she could remain hidden.

She sucked in her stomach and squeezed through the narrow opening and into the cave chamber.
>>
No. 582574 ID: 2629f1
File 140436358143.png - (211.50KB , 700x500 , panel 49.png )
582574

The Hyena's face appeared in the opening.

"DEN IS TOO SMALL, TOO SMALL DEN" he announces, sniffing around the entrance and sticking his head through experimentally. "HOW DO CLAN ALL FIT IN SUCH TINY DEN? CLAN CAN'T ALL BE AS SMALL AS YOU. RIDICULOUS. RIDICULOUS TINY DEN FOR TINY MEN."
>>
No. 582575 ID: 2629f1
File 140436362138.png - (256.94KB , 700x500 , panel 50.png )
582575

He finally surges forth as Katja places her bag and spear on the ground towards the back. The Hyena gets to his shoulders, and becomes stuck, wriggling and writhing in the gap and whining, "TINY DEN TOO TINY, I WANT TO BE IN TINY DEN BUT IT BITES ME BECAUSE I'M TOO BIG. RIDICULOUS TINY DEN."

Katja fights back a small smile, "Maybe you should make yourself very small again?" She says, coolly, unwrapping her fire starting kit.

The Hyena lies down on the ground at the foot of the cave entrance, his head, neck, shoulders and forelegs the only things that will fit through the small gap. He places his heavy head on his folded front legs and looks up at her forlornly, "DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. DEN IS SIMPLY TOO TINY. GET BETTER DEN FINDING SKILLS. FIND A BETTER DEN NEXT TIME. AWFUL."

Katja feels slightly safer now, knowing the creature can't get in. She watches him roll over on to his side, whining.

>Ask what interest it has in you.

"What interest do you have in me? Why did you stalk me?" Katja asks as she prepares the fire, piling dried lichen and grasses into the centre of her small fire pit.

The Hyena moans, "I AM CURIOUS, I FOLLOW LOTS OF THINGS, I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THEY ALL GO. YOU ARE INTERESTING, MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT YOU. I LIKE TO KNOW THINGS, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS ABOUT SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW. WAS NOT STALKING, IF I WANTED TO STALK I WOULD NOT LET YOU AND EVERY OTHER THING SEE." He starts biting the grass at the entrance in agitation, "HOW ABOUT WE PLAY SIMPLE GAME? YOU HAVE MANY QUESTIONS, I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS. YOU CAN ASK AND I WILL ANSWER AND THEN I WILL ASK AND YOU WILL ANSWER. YES?"
>>
No. 582580 ID: 909bf9

maybe ask him where he came from?
>>
No. 582585 ID: dc4b80

Ask him about his tribe or pack.
>>
No. 582594 ID: 4ad149

Names? you gave him a head start, anyways.
>>
No. 582597 ID: 9b57d3

>>582575
Does he know of any other people in the area?
>>
No. 582600 ID: 1c677c

OMG he's trying to seduce you.
>>
No. 582609 ID: 50338d

Agree to the question game. There's really nothing you have to lose by answering his questions, and you've certainly got plenty of your own.
>>
No. 582612 ID: 103c51

Ask him how he did the bear-frightening thing!
>>
No. 582627 ID: ebe537

Might as well ask him things while neither of you are going anywhere. Where did he learn to speak? Or has he always been able to do it?
>>
No. 582958 ID: 0dc9cf

>>582600
Don't listen to this guy, he's clearly paranoid.

Who goes first? Because obviously we're agreeing to this.
>>
No. 583106 ID: f4d51d

I second asking him about his pack or clan - maybe ask how he survives out here all alone (that's not typical hyena behaviour as far as I know?)
>>
No. 583281 ID: 9f609e

Ask him why he saved you.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason