[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
In memory of Flyin' Black Jackson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 133262375126.jpg - (103.40KB , 600x600 , Protector_0001.jpg )
395551 No. 395551 ID: bbee3d

O nameless clever spirits, voices of quest and contest, I call upon thee!

I could use your help just now.
Expand all images
>>
No. 395552 ID: 385f21

He just wants to say "Hi".
It's a Russian meme, "Preved medved".
>>
No. 395554 ID: 252e1b

Stab the shit out of that thing!
>>
No. 395555 ID: 3be784

Its mouth is open. Stab it up through the mouth and into the brain.

Doesn't look like it's got a big brain, though.
>>
No. 395556 ID: affb00

It's trying to flank you with its claw hands. Impale it through its mouth on your spear and then jump upward leaving the spear behind. You are a jumper right?
>>
No. 395559 ID: 88e5ad

okay. listen carefully. this bit is real important, like. it is the secret to your survival.

you need to put the pointy end of that stick you're holding into the flesh of your enemy.

there, now you can't fail.
>>
No. 395562 ID: b85f8c

>>395551
Give us a battle report, soldier. Your capabilities, and the capabilities of your enemy. We can't work without information, as you can see.
>>
No. 395563 ID: fcf88e

Bugger has huge claws and you have a spear. Move out of the way of his initial attack, then stab in the eye, through the brain. He may be big, but it may also mean he is slow. Use that.
>>
No. 395574 ID: bbee3d
File 133262681892.jpg - (94.79KB , 600x600 , Protector_0002.jpg )
395574

Good advice, spirits, and I thank you for your answer.
>>
No. 395575 ID: bbee3d
File 133262687320.jpg - (116.38KB , 600x600 , Protector_0003.jpg )
395575

But the little man with the stick is not the one speaking to you.
>>
No. 395577 ID: bbee3d
File 133262690490.jpg - (101.92KB , 600x600 , Protector_0004.jpg )
395577

I am.
>>
No. 395578 ID: fa9f7e

Fuck YES. So, details?
>>
No. 395579 ID: fcf88e

Well, now I feel a bit racist. Sorry about that. Might want to give us a bit of information on what's going on.
>>
No. 395580 ID: b6edd6

So what are you calling on us then? The hat guy was the one who was in trouble, by all appearances.
>>
No. 395582 ID: 12c19f

Claws the size of falchion swords, bipedal posture... Bigger than the average bear.

Just what are you?
>>
No. 395584 ID: ed57e8

ah sorry, the theme is protector, and he was in armor.
>>
No. 395585 ID: 95cda2

Did he come alone, or did he bring some companions, combatants or otherwise?
>>
No. 395590 ID: 12c19f

>>395584
Maybe it's a guardian/animal familiar?
>>
No. 395597 ID: bbee3d
File 133262998638.jpg - (154.03KB , 600x600 , Protector_0005.jpg )
395597

>Claws the size of falchion swords, bipedal posture... Bigger than the average bear. Just what are you?
>Maybe it's a guardian/animal familiar?

Indeed. I am a protector, created by magic to serve the royal family of this island.

> Give us a battle report, soldier. Your capabilities, and the capabilities of your enemy.
>Did he come alone, or did he bring some companions, combatants or otherwise?

I am large and strong, armed with claws and teeth. I can endure injuries and pain with little trouble. I have a few magical abilities, but they are mostly passive ones, such as sensing when a member of the royal family is near.

I do not know who or what these men are. They are shaped much like the people of my town, but much better armed. Also, they can fly. They arrived tonight, without warning, coming from the void to the west. They set fire to the town and attacked the castle. Neither of those are my concern.

However, they also stole my Prince. That is very much my concern.

The ones who took my Prince have already left, leaving a number behind to deal with me. So far, they can do little but delay me, but that is enough.

>So what are you calling on us then?

As one of you so kindly pointed out, I am large, but my brain is not. I can think of no solution but to fight; while I do, they escape with my Prince. I could use a better strategy if you can suggest one.
>>
No. 395598 ID: 7d7f79

Greetings, we are many and varied, but at least some among us have the wisdom and wit to aid you. State your goals, needs, resources, abilities and allies and we shall attempt to guide you.
Be warned: Some of us became insane when we entered this state, or even before, so consider our words as necessary. I'd suggest not following less helpful advice unless it's at least entertaining.
>>
No. 395600 ID: 88e5ad

charge through them. maybe grab a skull on your way to squash.
>>
No. 395601 ID: ed57e8

what of the other members of the family? if they are safe or gone then simply charge. thy wish to stop you not kill you. meaning that they know it is your nature to fight not run. so run for the prince and ignore them.
>>
No. 395602 ID: b85f8c

>>395597
You can take their attacks and survive, can you not? Charge through their ranks without heed. Perhaps if you grabbed one you could use it as a shield to reduce the amount of injury you must endure.
>>
No. 395603 ID: 12c19f

Do your passive talents include a mental compass/innate sense of direction? Where are you right now on the island?
>>
No. 395604 ID: 7d7f79

Assumption: You will have to enter this void to retrieve your prince. Other voices, note and double check this assumption as further information becomes available.

Goal: Go towards and enter the void to the west, to retrieve your prince.

Method: Unless you have significant capabilities we don't know about for it psychological warfare other than direct intimidation seems out of the question.
Can you make use of your terrain to do your fighting for you so that you may make progress towards your destination? Do you have allies or comrades you can gain help from?

Without special advantages or resources I'd suggest your plan should be to identify those enemies that tell the others what to do and destroy them first. Without leadership group efforts become disorganized and more easily disrupted, intimidated or circumvented.
>>
No. 395605 ID: 12c19f

I say you need a more distinct name to go by.

How about Bastion?
>>
No. 395606 ID: fcf88e

See any big trees? Specifically ones you can grab and uproot with ease? If so, use one to clear a path with it if there are multiple ones. The additional range and area of effect would allow you to deal with clusters of the buggers.

Do not take unneeded damage. The ones guarding the prince are likely tougher.
>>
No. 395621 ID: 6e44d2

Throw their bodies at their comrades.
>>
No. 395623 ID: fa9f7e

If you're so unintelligent, why is your diction so excellent and how did you know of us, whoever we are? Your prefrontal cortex might just be exceptionally large relative to the rest of the brain.
>>
No. 395634 ID: bbee3d
File 133264378086.jpg - (78.05KB , 600x600 , Protector_0006.jpg )
395634

>If you're so unintelligent, why is your diction so excellent and how did you know of us, whoever we are?

Everyone knows of the spirits. You have come to the aid of many in trouble, though no one I have actually met.

Then again, I have never left the Court. Does not everyone speak as I do?

> I say you need a more distinct name to go by. How about Bastion?

My Prince calls me Snuggles, but you may call me whatever you wish.

>Charge through their ranks without heed. Perhaps if you grabbed one you could use it as a shield to reduce the amount of injury you must endure.
>>
No. 395635 ID: bbee3d
File 133264380315.jpg - (142.28KB , 600x600 , Protector_0007.jpg )
395635

I like this strategy.

>I'd suggest your plan should be to identify those enemies that tell the others what to do and destroy them first.

They attack in unison and in complete silence. If they are receiving commands, it is from no one I can see.

>what of the other members of the family?

Not my concern. I am only the Prince's protector. If his family is in danger, their own protectors will have awoken to care for them.

>Do you have allies or comrades you can gain help from?

There are soldiers, and the other protectors. They are all still occupied at the castle.
>>
No. 395636 ID: bbee3d
File 133264385956.jpg - (96.51KB , 600x600 , Protector_0008.jpg )
395636

>Do your passive talents include a mental compass/innate sense of direction? Where are you right now on the island?

I do not have a mental compass, but I would guess that I am at the edge.
>>
No. 395637 ID: bbee3d
File 133264388740.jpg - (63.52KB , 600x600 , Protector_0009.jpg )
395637

That means I have failed.
>>
No. 395638 ID: bbee3d
File 133264399525.jpg - (99.89KB , 600x600 , Protector_0010.jpg )
395638

>You will have to enter this void to retrieve your prince.

How? I am built for defense, not for flight.
>>
No. 395640 ID: ed57e8

get to the bottom. and walk.
>>
No. 395641 ID: fcf88e

Hmmm, seems a bit odd that they do not give you a means to chase after kidnappers whom escape the island. Perhaps there is some adaptability you can use in emergencies like this? Sprout some wings, find someone on your side big and strong enough who can fly, that sort of thing.

Besides, I bet the prince would love a flying bear thingy.
>>
No. 395642 ID: fa9f7e

See those guys behind you? Push them off to make a cushion of their pulverized bodies and to see how high up you are.


...Just how tough are you, anyway? What kind of drop do you think you could walk away from with moderate-at-worst injuries?
>>
No. 395644 ID: affb00

Sit there and wait. He's got to come back eventually, right?
>>
No. 395648 ID: 7d7f79

Inaction is a dubious choice, but knowing what's over the edge of this cliff, if you could survive going down there, and if you can travel on after the prince once you are down there, would all be important.
You don't seem particularly well adapted for sea travel or good at sailing and you don't look built to fly. Unless I'm wrong about that you need aid of some kind to continue your pursuit. Clear out your attackers, possibly by pushing them over the cliff, and seek allies in the castle. Even if they can't help you directly your aid in restoring security there would be useful to completing your task. That is because he can't be safe without a safe place to return to, which apparently you don't have right now if the castle is under attack.
>>
No. 395656 ID: b6edd6

As a magical creature, do you need to eat or rest? If you don't, you can probably find a way towards the bottom of the cliff and start swimming. If you need to sleep, swimming is not viable and you will need to find some form of transport.
>>
No. 395662 ID: b85f8c

>>395638
I'd suggest forcing one of them to carry you over the void, but A) they probably can't lift you B) they could just drop you and C) they probably won't listen to you.

The only way forward is down. Perhaps you should find a gentler slope? Or can you climb down? Your claws do look large enough for climbing. Where did this void come from anyway?
>>
No. 395675 ID: 7d7f79

>>395640
>>395642
>>395656
>>395662
Hold on folks, Smokey the Bugbear here was talking about a void. Perhaps that means this is a flying island and there is no *there* down there to climb down to. That would mean that he/she/it needs an alternative transport method.

Oh, and Snuggles, I suggest you neutralize as much of the force attacking you as necessary and get back to the castle. Even if you can travel the void with your own abilities you probably want to know more about what attacked and where they probably came from if you can. It would be best to find out these things before you leave in case navigating the void is difficult, costly, hazardous, time-consuming or some combination of those.
>>
No. 395702 ID: bbee3d
File 133265911341.jpg - (140.35KB , 600x600 , Protector_0011.jpg )
395702

>As a magical creature, do you need to eat or rest?

No.

>get to the bottom. and walk.
>...Just how tough are you, anyway? What kind of drop do you think you could walk away from with moderate-at-worst injuries?

I can survive nearly any fall, as long as there is nothing lethal at the bottom, such as fire. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no bottom. I have never heard of anyone finding one, at least.

>Hmmm, seems a bit odd that they do not give you a means to chase after kidnappers whom escape the island.
>Where did this void come from anyway?

I am never supposed to leave my Prince's side. The fact that I allowed him out of my sight at all is yet another way in which I have failed tonight.

The void was smaller when I was created; there were only small pockets, easy to walk around. It has grown since then, though, and the islands drift farther apart each year.

>Perhaps there is some adaptability you can use in emergencies like this? Sprout some wings, find someone on your side big and strong enough who can fly, that sort of thing. Besides, I bet the prince would love a flying bear thingy.

No doubt he would. I shall try.
>>
No. 395703 ID: bbee3d
File 133265915169.jpg - (70.12KB , 600x600 , Protector_0012.jpg )
395703


>>
No. 395704 ID: bbee3d
File 133265917730.jpg - (73.09KB , 600x600 , Protector_0013.jpg )
395704

Apparently, my enchantment does not include wings. It was worth a try.
>>
No. 395705 ID: bbee3d
File 133265920679.jpg - (100.88KB , 600x600 , Protector_0014.jpg )
395705

>Clear out your attackers, possibly by pushing them over the cliff, and seek allies in the castle. Even if they can't help you directly your aid in restoring security there would be useful to completing your task.

Clearing them out will not be a problem. It appears that they have what they came for and are leaving.
>>
No. 395706 ID: bbee3d
File 133265923420.jpg - (126.47KB , 600x600 , Protector_0015.jpg )
395706

>I'd suggest forcing one of them to carry you over the void, but A) they probably can't lift you B) they could just drop you and C) they probably won't listen to you.

Right on all three counts. I can hardly feel a pull at all. It would take hundreds of them to carry me, even if they were willing.
>>
No. 395707 ID: bbee3d
File 133265927021.jpg - (104.89KB , 600x600 , Protector_0016.jpg )
395707

Back to the castle, then. They seem to have put out most of the fires already. Good. The guard babbles something incoherent.

He has probably never seen me in this form before. What should I tell him?
>>
No. 395708 ID: ed57e8

"i am the prince's royal protector. and i have a prisoner" hold up the creature
>>
No. 395709 ID: 6e44d2

"I need a flying craft. The prince has been taken off the island."
>>
No. 395710 ID: ed57e8

oh, also if you can change to your other form without losing a grip on your prisoner then do so.
>>
No. 395711 ID: b6edd6

Return to a form he recognizes, and say that the prince was carried off by the attackers. (Or point in the direction they went, if you cannot speak vocally.)
>>
No. 395740 ID: affb00

Shake your cane at him like an old curmudgeon. And by cane I mean prisoner.
>>
No. 395754 ID: 2563d4

>>395707
Dangle the prisoner in his face.
>>
No. 395769 ID: 61e7f9

"Do not worry. I am the protector in war-form. I have a prisoner for the castle [insert whoever handles prisoners here] to interrogate. Please allow me to pass."
>>
No. 395799 ID: e6da3c

>>395707
"I am the prince's protector. He lives, but has been taken."
Then dangle the prisoner
"I need to fly, like these, and must learn where they have taken My Prince. Take this captive and I will revert to my peace form."
>>
No. 395807 ID: 88e5ad

>>395634

if you're a girl, I shall call you Kara Okee, because Snuggles is a teddy bear name and female teddy bears are creepy as fuck.
>>
No. 395833 ID: e440a4

This is another example of information that would have been handy to have before it came up. Listen, friend, we want to help you. But you have to understand, we help so many worlds, and they are so varied. Don't assume we know anything about yours. Any sort of relevant information you can feed us will only help us help you better.

As for this guy, if the form he is used to seeing you in is still capable of holding your prisoner, change to that. If not, hold up your finger to the guard guy to indicate "just a minute" and then break all the prisoner's limbs including wings. Then transform and explain.
>>
No. 395854 ID: bbee3d
File 133270887382.jpg - (127.04KB , 600x600 , Protector_0017.jpg )
395854

I cannot return to my other form as long as my Prince is in danger. I can speak, though.

"Do not worry. I am the Prince's protector in war-form. I have a prisoner for… someone to interrogate."

I have no idea who handles prisoners. I am not usually the one capturing them.

"The prince has been taken off the island, and I need a flying craft. Please allow me to pass."

The guard stares at me for a moment, then calls to someone to open the gate.

>"G-go ahead sir. Or madam! Whichever it is. Sorry. Um."

He finally stops talking and allows me to enter.
>>
No. 395856 ID: bbee3d
File 133270894625.jpg - (117.14KB , 600x600 , Protector_0018.jpg )
395856

Ugh. This was much easier at my normal size.

>Listen, friend, we want to help you. But you have to understand, we help so many worlds, and they are so varied. Don't assume we know anything about yours. Any sort of relevant information you can feed us will only help us help you better.

My apologies. Thinking is not my greatest strength, but I shall do my best to tell you anything that seems important. Do any of you have any more questions? Getting through here might take me a while.
>>
No. 395874 ID: 88e5ad

a gender would be nice.
>>
No. 395878 ID: 659213

>>395856
Perhaps a mental image of your prince, his name, or even an idea of how long you have served the royal family here?
>>
No. 395908 ID: ce4a4d

How old are you?
>>
No. 395916 ID: ed57e8

what are all your passive abilities? you told us you can sense family members, but what else?
>>
No. 395963 ID: 7d7f79

What do you know of the allies and enemies of this kingdom? What are the limits of your magic, and the limits of magic in general? Is teleportation available and if so what are its characteristics?

These foes seem to be armed with short-spears, is that a common form of weaponry in your world, or would they tend to be considered primitive weapons? Do you know of artillery, firearms, combustion engines or other mechanical sources of movement and power?
>>
No. 395997 ID: 14428f

While you're in friendly territory is there anyone you could recruit to your aid?
We find these matters go better with a variety of talents and traits working toward one goal.
>>
No. 396039 ID: affb00

>>395874

Oh hush. She's obviously a real classy lady.
>>
No. 396137 ID: 365adf

>>395963

Silly! If teleportation was available, Snugs wouldn't be squeezing...himself...? Through that itty-bitty passage~

Do tell me they have some sort of large aerial craft. I mean, comparing their size to yours...

...Do you know how to drive one?
>>
No. 396138 ID: ed57e8

>>396137
teleportation could require large runic circles to work.
>>
No. 396194 ID: 011234

Do you know someone who would know where a ship is?

Are you older or younger then your prince?
>>
No. 396376 ID: 1444d5

>I can survive nearly any fall, as long as there is nothing lethal at the bottom, such as fire.
>Big gap to cross
CatBearapult.
>>
No. 396381 ID: 2563d4

>>396376
I endorse this plan 207%.
>>
No. 396398 ID: 61e7f9

>>396376
Yes, bearuche. Because it will throw further than a catapult.
>>
No. 397420 ID: bbee3d
File 133322594733.jpg - (85.21KB , 600x600 , Protector_0019_prince.jpg )
397420

>Perhaps a mental image of your prince, his name, or even an idea of how long you have served the royal family here?
>How old are you?

I pay little attention to years or generations, but I have been protector of fifty-two members of the royal family since my creation. My first charge was Calindri, the second daughter of King Bractilon IV. She died of a fever. There was nothing I could do about that, other than comfort her.

My present Prince is named Dorrin. I hope to have better success with him.
>>
No. 397421 ID: bbee3d
File 133322608841.jpg - (109.48KB , 600x600 , Protector_0020_magic.jpg )
397421

>a gender would be nice.

Technically, I have no gender. My kind does not reproduce. You may choose to think of me as whichever gender you prefer.

>What are the limits of your magic, and the limits of magic in general?

Magic is the art of transforming and animating objects and forces. It is controlled by runes that bind and direct energy. It can change things from one form to another, bring life to lifeless things, and (much more easily) bring death to living things. It always requires a writing surface and a source of power. I know little more than that.

My own enchantments are written on a stone where an ordinary creature's heart would be. There is no longer anyone on the island who understands them.

>what are all your passive abilities? you told us you can sense family members, but what else?

I can enter the form you see now, with all the mass and strength of a creature this size.

I can simply shrug off many kinds of damage and recover from nearly anything, given enough time and energy, as long as my stone is not damaged. It is enchanted to be practically indestructible. I am somewhat vulnerable to fire.

I am fast and nearly tireless, but I was designed when the land was still in one piece, so I have no means of travel other than walking and climbing. I cannot fly.

As a magical creature, I gain energy from weather, from fear in my enemies, and from feelings of safety in my family. There is little of any of those tonight. Fortunately, it will be a long time before I run low on energy.

My hearing, night vision, and sense of smell are sharper than those of ordinary people, though not exceptionally so.

I can sense which members of the royal family are near, and roughly in which direction, though this ability has a fairly short range - about the width of an island. My Prince is already out of range, and I cannot sense him. It is not a pleasant feeling.

I also know a few minor spells - I can light small fires, shatter small objects, and create a small light source. Like any magic, these require a surface to write on.
>>
No. 397422 ID: bbee3d
File 133322613840.jpg - (113.39KB , 600x600 , Protector_0021_teleport.jpg )
397422

>Is teleportation available and if so what are its characteristics?
>teleportation could require large runic circles to work.

It does, in fact. Even then, half the objects put into a circle come out the other end sliced up or exploded. It is not a reliable method. Besides, we have no one on the island who can teleport anything of my size.
>>
No. 397423 ID: bbee3d
File 133322620667.jpg - (87.68KB , 600x600 , Protector_0022_weapons.jpg )
397423

>These foes seem to be armed with short-spears, is that a common form of weaponry in your world, or would they tend to be considered primitive weapons?

The enemy's spears are primitive compared to a modern sword or crossbow, but effective enough in such numbers. They were probably designed to be lightweight enough for flying warriors.

>Do you know of artillery, firearms, combustion engines or other mechanical sources of movement and power?

I know none of these things. The castle machinist has been experimenting with machines driven by steam. I do not understand them. The very idea sounds foolish to me, and they are weak and clumsy compared to magic.

>Do tell me they have some sort of large aerial craft.

Possibly. I shall ask.

>…Do you know how to drive one?

No.
>>
No. 397424 ID: bbee3d
File 133322645087.jpg - (81.80KB , 600x600 , Protector_0023_islandmap.jpg )
397424

>What do you know of the allies and enemies of this kingdom?

This island, and the kingdom on it, is named Gorvindy. We are in the town on the western edge.

We have no allies or enemies that I am aware of, though this attack would suggest at least one enemy somewhere. It has been at least a few generations since any of the islands were close enough for anything like war or alliance; there is no good way to move troops between them - or there was none, at least, before this attack. The only other methods of travel are small gliders and rope bridges that break frequently. We trade with the nearer islands, such as Bellnitz and Hammagroffle, but have little else to do with them.

There are many islands beyond these, but the ones you see here are the only ones with which I am familiar. The others have certainly moved since I last visited them.

>While you're in friendly territory is there anyone you could recruit to your aid?
>We find these matters go better with a variety of talents and traits working toward one goal.

I believe the people on this island are mostly farmers. We have some soldiers, some magic-writers, and people with various other skills. I shall ask for more details once I am inside the castle.

>Big gap to cross
>Bearapult

…I shall ask about this as well.
>>
No. 397425 ID: bbee3d
File 133322650921.jpg - (132.88KB , 600x600 , Protector_0024_queen.jpg )
397425

Inside the castle walls, I find the Queen.

"Protector? Is that you? Where have you been? Where is Dorrin?"
>>
No. 397430 ID: 2563d4

>>397424
So which direction did the flying buggers head off in?

>>397425
Shrug as only a thing with shoulders the size of small cars can shrug.
>>
No. 397432 ID: 063c28

>>397430
>So which direction did the flying buggers head off in?
If they're remotely intelligent, not the direction they were ultimately going.
>>
No. 397434 ID: ed57e8

"they swarmed me in great numbers, enough so that they could keep me at bay, and took him. i cannot cross the void, so the castle is the only place for me to return to"
>>
No. 397437 ID: d5ee6f

>>397420
Well, only losing one out of fifty two is actually a pretty great track record. Why were you separated from your prince anyways? Give someone the prisoner and exit your war form and explain what happened.
>>
No. 397441 ID: b85f8c

>>397437
>I cannot return to my other form as long as my Prince is in danger.
Sorry bro, it's war form all the way.

>>397425
Explain that you require transit across the void to retrieve the prince. Also, I'd like to talk to that machinist. We spirits know quite a lot about steam. Yes indeed.
>>
No. 397449 ID: b6edd6

"Taken across the void by the attackers. I wish for transport to pursue them, or to join the search party if there is one."
>>
No. 399260 ID: bbee3d
File 133383413145.jpg - (85.71KB , 600x600 , Protector_0025_queen2.jpg )
399260

"The Prince has been taken across the void by the attackers. I wish for-"

The Queen interrupts me. "Taken? He can't have been taken! He had you with him, didn't he?"

"Not at the time of the attack. He had-"

"You weren't with him? Your entire reason for existing is to stay with my son and keep him safe! Why in Kumal's name weren't you with him?"

She is shouting by now. The rest of the courtyard has gone silent, aside from the orders of the physicians.
>>
No. 399261 ID: bbee3d
File 133383416886.jpg - (66.88KB , 600x600 , Protector_0026_queen3.jpg )
399261

>Why were you separated from your prince anyways?

"The Prince left his room tonight, leaving me behind. I do not know where he went, or why. By the time I awoke and went to look for him, the attackers had captured him already."

She closes her eyes. "Oh, that boy… He will drive me mad someday, I know it. I told him never to go anywhere without you! Why did he have to pick tonight, of all nights?"
>>
No. 399262 ID: bbee3d
File 133383421643.jpg - (76.99KB , 600x600 , Protector_0027_queen4.jpg )
399262

She is silent for a long time before speaking again.

"All right. I suppose this isn't your fault. Still, you have to get him back! Who knows what they might do to him?"

"Yes, your Majesty. That is what I had planned. However, I cannot cross the void myself. Does the castle have some form of transport?"

She gives me a skeptical look. "For people our size, yes, but for you? I don't know…" She stops and thinks for a moment. "You'd better go talk to Mock and Henigmarn. I'm sure they can think of something. Take anyone you want with you, as long as they don't have urgent duties here."
>>
No. 399263 ID: bbee3d
File 133383428190.jpg - (84.04KB , 600x600 , Protector_0028_direction.jpg )
399263

> Well, only losing one out of fifty two is actually a pretty great track record.

I have lost other charges before - some to wars, others to diseases or accidents. If one counts death by old age, I suppose I have lost all of them. Such is the price of immortality. However, I have lost hardly any to dangers I could actually fight.

>So which direction did the flying buggers head off in?
>If they're remotely intelligent, not the direction they were ultimately going.

They left toward the west. As you can see, there is hardly anything there, so it is likely that they changed course once they were out of sight.
>>
No. 399264 ID: bbee3d
File 133383436359.jpg - (134.75KB , 600x600 , Protector_0029_mock.jpg )
399264

> I'd like to talk to that machinist. We spirits know quite a lot about steam. Yes indeed.

The castle is in a state of chaos, but I finally find Mock, the machinist, fixing one of the castle's large crossbows. It seems to have been rather effective against the attackers. Upon seeing me, she tightens the weapon and raises it not quite enough to be threatening.

"Okay. What the heck are you?"
>>
No. 399269 ID: 800ce6

the protector of the prince. he'S been kidnapped. yadda yadda. just get him up to speed and ask for his help.

also ask if he knows anything about flying spearmen and where they might've come from.
>>
No. 399272 ID: ed57e8

protector, require flying machine large enough for us.
>>
No. 399276 ID: 61e7f9

"The prince's protector. I have failed. They have taken him across the void. I must follow. I have come to you seeking help."
>>
No. 399299 ID: 03ee4e

"I am the mighty Snuggles! Protector of the prince!"
>>
No. 399300 ID: 7d7f79

>>399276
"If necessary quiz me on things I would know if you really think I might not be who I say I am.
"Otherwise I'm also at a loss for how to track these bird creatures since they probably headed off in one direction until they were out of sight and then turned in another. Another problem I need help with is how to track them all down while stuck in my combat form: Chances are high this will require information gathering from other islands unless someone else here can find out where the prince has been taken and I was not created for subtlety and diplomacy. Advice on who to ask would be good."
>>
No. 399301 ID: fa9f7e

>>399300
"Oh, and the voices of quest and contest suggest a bearapult."
>>
No. 399302 ID: 03ee4e

>>399301

Sounds fun! ^.V.^
>>
No. 399319 ID: b85f8c

>>399263
Well shit, we don't know which nation they went to. We need evidence to determine which place it is before we commit. Which means, I suppose, getting information out of the prisoner. Either by speech or by the objects he carries. Probably the latter, if you ask me. Much can be determined by the type of wood in the shaft of his spear, the dye used in his cape, or the smithing involved in making his armor. Even the scent on his body or seeds caught in his fur could lead us to our answer.

As for this man, ask him what projects he's been working on that involve steam, and what problems he's run into. I'm sure we could either provide blueprints for new devices, or improve his existing ones. Though to be honest you would have a hard time delivering the blueprints, as you cannot use precise writing implements in your war form. So, we'll probably just have to go with simple things like improving his designs and pointing out flaws in his reasoning, if there are any.
>>
No. 399332 ID: affb00

>>399264

Ask him whether he thinks that a giant chamber of steam, water boiled on one side, and condensed on the other, would create a breeze that could then turn a windmill inside of it. You can use such a windmill to wind up the spring for your bearapult.

Whoever made this void clearly has it out for you. What a mess!

Uh, is the one you captured still in your claws? I can't imagine he's doing very well. It'd be keen to learn how this lot created wings to fly with. That might be another way to reach your prince.
>>
No. 414759 ID: 42491f
File 133762572919.jpg - (104.79KB , 600x600 , Protector_0030_Mock2.jpg )
414759

I explain my identity and my Prince's abduction to Mock, who curses. She puts the crossbow away and picks up one of the dead flyers nearby. "I might be able to get you across the void," she says, "but I'm no good at tracking, and I don't know any more about these guys than you do. We'd better go see Henigmarn."

On the way down, I offer to investigate Mock's steam machines. She gives me a skeptical look. "No offense, but you haven't been, uh… active… since I started working on them. I doubt you could help much." She shrugs. "You're free to take a look later, though."
>>
No. 414760 ID: c569f6
File 133762579258.jpg - (135.10KB , 600x600 , Protector_0031_Henigmarn.jpg )
414760

We find Henigmarn, the castle magician, down in his workshop. He rushes over to Mock as soon as she enters.

"Oh good, you found another one! Quick, quick, put it down so I can read its-"
>>
No. 414761 ID: 42491f
File 133762583473.jpg - (119.67KB , 600x600 , Protector_0032_fzzt.jpg )
414761

-fzzt-
>>
No. 414762 ID: 42491f
File 133762591529.jpg - (119.29KB , 600x600 , Protector_0033_stickman.jpg )
414762

A moment later, the dead flyer is gone, reduced to a little model of sticks and string. Any trace of magic about it is gone as well. Henigmarn curses this time.

"That's happened every time," he grumbles, tossing it onto a pile of similar models in the corner. "The spell only seems to last a few minutes after they die."

"Can you find the source of the materials?" I ask, echoing your suggestions.

Henigmarn jumps, as if noticing me for the first time. "Protector? My goodness, you're huge. Why are you still active?"

I explain the situation and repeat my question about the materials.

He shakes his head. "My goodness. Poor Dorrin… Oh, the materials? No, they're completely generic. Ordinary wool and handlewood from Hammagroffle. The creator could have bought this stuff at any market on the island, and after the spells evaporate, there's nothing else I can trace. I'd have to get my hands on a live-"
>>
No. 414763 ID: c569f6
File 133762606132.jpg - (108.17KB , 600x600 , Protector_0034_Oh.jpg )
414763

"…Oh."

Henigmarn takes the prisoner, which I have left more or less alive, and begins analyzing the spells that hold it in this shape. With luck, this will provide us with a way to trace its origin. Is there more I should ask before requesting transportation?
>>
No. 414770 ID: 132b99

ask about being made a more... manageable size. because if you are stopped by a small opening it would be dreaful
>>
No. 414849 ID: b85f8c

Would medical attention help your wounds?
>>
No. 414860 ID: 431fa8

>>414763
Get any information he has on the attackers.
>>
No. 414885 ID: b9e291

Medical attention surely wouldn't help, but having a reliably safe copy of whatever's written on your stone might, in the case of a scratch.
>>
No. 414886 ID: 132b99

>>414885
the things have been in service for a LONG ASS TIME if they were gonna get a scratch it would of been long ago. also, the magic needed to build a stone is impossible to replicate, is a lost knowledge.
>>
No. 414957 ID: b9e291

>>414886

The language is lost. Duplicating and repairing carvings without destroying the magics might still be possible. It's definitely a last resort though. Nobody is going to have access to that stone unless your body is basically destroyed anyway.
>>
No. 414975 ID: fdad59

If examining the spells that hold the prisoner together doesn't reveal it's objectives, where it came from, or where it was to return to, perhaps Henigmarn could slap a long-range tracking spell on the prisoner, or an object implanted into the prisoner, and release it so it returns home. Uh, he isn't using a destructive analysis method on it, right?

Ask if Henigmarn and Mock have collaborated before on any projects. Specifically, I can see great benefits to the steam machines if the heat and water used in them can be reliably generated by magical means.
>>
No. 415044 ID: 5c94e7

>>414957
>The language is lost.
But we have a native speaker right here, Mr. Guardian.
The ability to read and speak it must be programmed in.
>>
No. 415049 ID: b85f8c

>>415044
And how do you expect our buddy to look at his own heart, so to speak?
>>
No. 415051 ID: fdad59

>>415049
I'm sure we could come up with an exceedingly cunning plan to read and duplicate Protector's heart-stone, given enough time on our part and theirs, but we'll have to leave it until after Prince Dorrin is safely back home. Then we'll have plenty of time to experiment and rediscover lost knowledge.

There is one minor thing I'd like to know: Did your heart-stone change size along with the rest of you, or is it small enough to have fit in your regular, small form?
>>
No. 423440 ID: c569f6
File 133994071667.jpg - (153.55KB , 600x600 , Protector_0035_workshop.jpg )
423440

>Perhaps Henigmarn could slap a long-range tracking spell on the prisoner, or an object implanted into the prisoner, and release it so it returns home. Uh, he isn't using a destructive analysis method on it, right?

I mention the possibility of a tracking spell to Henigmarn. He replies that he will keep it as a backup plan if he is unable to find the prisoner's origin through magic. He adds that he will keep the prisoner intact, though he mutters something about "as intact as you left him…"

While Henigmarn begins to study the prisoner, I ask Mock about methods of transportation. I shall still need to reach my destination once Henigmarn finds it. She thinks for a moment, then leads me into her workshop. Conveniently, it shares a door with Henigmarn's.
>>
No. 423441 ID: 42491f
File 133994075475.jpg - (171.94KB , 600x600 , Protector_0036_bridges.jpg )
423441

"The easiest choice would probably be to take the bridges," she begins. "That would take a while, though, and you can never tell when they're going to snap. They keep stretching as the islands drift apart. There are a lot of islands you can't even reach by bridge anymore.
>>
No. 423442 ID: c569f6
File 133994077628.jpg - (197.02KB , 600x600 , Protector_0037_machine.jpg )
423442

"Then there's my flying machine. The apprentices and I have been working on this thing for years - but you probably know that, since the Prince comes in here every chance he gets. I think it's ready for a test flight-"
>>
No. 423443 ID: 42491f
File 133994081889.jpg - (170.30KB , 600x600 , Protector_0038_break.jpg )
423443

A piece falls off of the engine. Mock catches it without pausing. "-Almost ready, that is. Give us half an hour or so. You can take a look at it too, if you like; who knows, maybe you'll find something we haven't thought of. I got the engines to stop blowing up, mostly, but you'd still have to bring me or an apprentice to keep them running."

Henigmarn calls through the doorway. "I could give you a wind spell instead, but then you'd have to bring me or one of my apprentices to maintain it. Air is tricky stuff to work with. One spell might get you where you're going, but it certainly wouldn't get you back."

When asked if they have collaborated on projects, they both nod. This flying machine is one of them; Mock designed the purely mechanical aspects, while Henigmarn enhanced it with spells for lift, wind speed, fuel, engine lubrication, and so on.
>>
No. 423444 ID: 42491f
File 133994086813.jpg - (121.24KB , 600x600 , Protector_0039_wingdoubt.jpg )
423444

>Wings

I ask Henigmarn if it would be possible to give me wings. He gives me a skeptical look instead.

"Have you ever seen your design? You and the other protectors are some of the most elegant old spellcrafting I've ever seen. That's why you've all lasted so long. There's no one on the island with that kind of skill anymore - certainly not me. I'm sure I could give you wings, given time, but… well, it would be like stitching a burlap sack onto a ball gown. They wouldn't last long."

> Ask about being made a more... manageable size. Because if you are stopped by a small opening it would be dreadful.

Henigmarn shakes his head. "Even worse. The size-changing spell is a pretty basic part of you. I could stick wings onto the outside, probably, but messing with core spells like that… I doubt it would work, and there are probably failsafe spells that would fry me if I tried."

>Would medical attention help your wounds?

What wounds?
>>
No. 423445 ID: 42491f
File 133994093822.jpg - (213.07KB , 600x600 , Protector_0040_trebuchet.jpg )
423445

>Bearapult!

My suggestion of using a catapult, or similar device, receives a skeptical look from both of them. Henigmarn clears his throat.

"Well, there is that old trebuchet-"

"Still in working order!" Mock interrupts with a proud grin.

Henigmarn rolls his eyes. "You and your hobbies. It wasn't exactly designed for… travel… but I could probably use a spell to temporarily increase its range and accuracy." He frowns. "It… might work? I guess?"
>>
No. 423446 ID: c569f6
File 133994097115.jpg - (104.21KB , 600x600 , Protector_0041_island.jpg )
423446

>Having a reliably safe copy of whatever's written on your stone might help, in the case of a scratch.

My heart-stone is enchanted to be all but indestructible. It could be destroyed by being dropped into an active volcano, or by any of a few highly advanced magical methods. Nothing short of that could even scratch it. To my knowledge, the world no longer has many active volcanoes or magicians of that caliber.

The rest of my body is slightly more vulnerable to damage. However, my heart-stone can regenerate it, given enough time.

> Did your heart-stone change size along with the rest of you, or is it small enough to have fit in your regular, small form?

It changes its size. In my small form, it is roughly the size of a marble.



Henigmarn's spell finishes soon enough. He unrolls a map and points to a small islet near Hammagroffle.

"Here. I can't be sure that this is where they took the Prince, but the spell that made the soldier was cast somewhere on this island. I could give you a more precise location, given a few days, but I don't think you want to wait that long."
>>
No. 423447 ID: c569f6
File 133994101774.jpg - (125.84KB , 600x600 , Protector_0042_choices.jpg )
423447

It seems, then, that these are my choices:

The bridges;

The flying machine, with the engines;

The flying machine, with a wind spell;

Grafted wings;

Or the trebuchet.

Unless, that is, any of you can think of another way.
>>
No. 423451 ID: 132b99

hmm... with a wind spell the flying machine has the best odds of getting there and back.
>>
No. 423454 ID: 886a4d

Yes the flying machine seems the best bet... we just have to make sure it actually lasts the journey, a pipe falling off it isn't the most encouraging.

Ask him what he uses for power and for lift / buoyancy. Perhaps we can get him a little royal funding for better materials as well. It might take a little more time but it'd be faster then walking once you get started.
>>
No. 423484 ID: 2563d4

>>423447
DIRIGIBLE. And Mock.
>>
No. 423488 ID: 14a1d0

TREBUCHET!
>>
No. 423500 ID: d40eee

So, if you are really this kind of indistructable, would falling between the isles mean something like an eternal hell of falling down for you or would you be able to see what's on the ground? How long would it take to heal when you would get a little... flattened.

the flying-machine would provide a second way of getting home, why all else would lead to a backwalk by foot on bridges.
Well, the wings not directly, but I don't think you can let them undamaged within some fights when you are a close-combat-fighter...
>>
No. 423527 ID: b33427

Take the flying machine and Mock. It's the best option to get there and back, and you'll need all of Mock's expertise to keep this bucket in the air. You'll go and inform the queen of your choice, and request she release unlimited resources to Mock for this endeavor.

Ask Mock and Henigmarn if anyone has attempted to halt or slow the drifting of the islands. Anchoring together the ones with bridges using huge chains is an obvious method, but looking at the islands, they look more like pillars than floating islands. Has anyone tried climbing down the side of one?

Also run the idea by Mock and Henigmarn of using a continuously explosive spell in an explosive-proof container with one open end to generate thrust. It's not something you expect them to do right away, but it could be their next project.
>>
No. 423594 ID: 8ecb5b

>>423446
Wait, how would one drop it into a volcano, the islands have those? Do they make the islands bigger or do you mean on the... erh, ground? (what keeps these islands flying anyhow...)

Ithink taking the trenchabut to the big island of Hammagroffle may be the safest/fastest route, well depending on how long you think it will take you to recover.

I suggest the big island becasue I wouldn't trust a catapult to throw us onto the small island with such accuracy. Then again, there is the problem of returning, but I don't know how safe that flying machine is.
>>
No. 423745 ID: c6ec33

>>423447
Graft wings to yourself, attach yourself to the flying machine, then fling the flying machine out of the trebuchet over the path of the nearest bridge to your destination.
>>
No. 429206 ID: 14428f

Henigmarn mentioned an apprentice could perhaps maintain a wind spell as an alternative to the flying machine.

Could we combine these instead? Take Mock with us to maintain the flier and one of Henigmarn's apprentices to maintain the magic?

I would prefer Henigmarn himself but he looks pretty busy.

Well, ask both Mock and Henigmarn to come along, see if they're willing and able.
If you get stuck with two apprentices instead, you get stuck with two apprentices, though having both the experts along will greatly benefit your cause, which you should mention. Especially Henigmarn, who can investigate as you go.
>>
No. 429273 ID: 147853

I'm sure Mock and the mage guy are both pretty busy. Their apprentices should be enough.

The bearapult would possibly be faster though. Maybe you should have them launch you, and then send their apprentices after in the airship to come pick you up after you've look around for a while.

That is, if you don't all fit in the airship. And assuming the bearapult really would be faster.

The bridges... would take far far too long. Your prince was taken, who has time to walk?
>>
No. 430042 ID: 67e8b2

Flying Machine.

The trebuchet and the rope bridge seem incredibly unsafe (even moreso than the falling-the-fuck-apart blimp), and if your body was compatible with wings, why weren't they installed a long time ago?
>>
No. 460636 ID: f4d4da
File 134949758586.jpg - (129.26KB , 600x600 , Protector_0043_justwood.jpg )
460636

>Ask him what he uses for power and for lift / buoyancy.

For lift, Mock says she uses a gas that Henigmarn can magically extract from water, though neither of them truly understand what it is or how the spell works. Henigmarn found it in an old book.

Mock frowns at the mention of power. "For fuel, all I've got is magic and wood." She sighs. "Coal would be better, but most of the islands haven't allowed any serious mining since Charraglim fell apart. We'd have to import it from Hammagroffle."

The machine's lift and propulsion are magically enhanced, but the propellor can also be cranked by hand, and there is enough gas to keep the machine aloft if it has no cargo. Mock does not like to rely entirely on magic.

>Also run the idea by Mock and Henigmarn of using a continuously explosive spell in an explosive-proof container with one open end to generate thrust. It's not something you expect them to do right away, but it could be their next project.

I mention this, though it sounds like a dangerous method of transportation. Henigmarn says he has never found an explosive-proof container. But it could be worth a try.
>>
No. 460637 ID: f4d4da
File 134949765564.jpg - (76.24KB , 600x600 , Protector_0044_pillars.jpg )
460637

>Ask Mock and Henigmarn if anyone has attempted to halt or slow the drifting of the islands. Anchoring together the ones with bridges using huge chains is an obvious method, but looking at the islands, they look more like pillars than floating islands. Has anyone tried climbing down the side of one?

Several explorers have attempted to climb down the cliffs. A few have even come back. According to their reports, the islands continue straight down as far as they can see - exactly like pillars. No one has ever found a bottom.

Historians and geologists speculate that some great event split the world apart many generations ago, and the pieces have been slowly dispersing ever since, like shards of a shattered plate. If this is the case, we have no records here to tell what that event might have been.

No one has ever made a chain strong enough to stop the shifting of the earth.

>So, if you are really this kind of indestructible, would falling between the isles mean something like an eternal hell of falling down for you or would you be able to see what's on the ground? How long would it take to heal when you would get a little... flattened.

If the cliffs truly continue forever, I could likely angle my fall to hit one of them, then climb to the surface. If there is a bottom, unless it consists of fire or magma, I could recover from the impact - in a few months at most - and climb to the surface.

If the island pillars truly do end at some point, and there is nothing but void beneath them… The result would indeed be, as you put it, an "eternal hell." I would be permanently separated from the royal family. There is no worse fate for a protector.

This is why I seldom go near the void.
>>
No. 460638 ID: f4d4da
File 134949775234.jpg - (161.60KB , 600x600 , Protector_0045_tuneup.jpg )
460638

>Flying machine

After some discussion, the flying machine seems the best option. It is roughly as reliable as any other available means of transportation, and flight will allow us to more easily find and reach our destination.

Mock and her apprentices swarm over the machine, checking and replacing parts in a cacophony of clanking and incomprehensible shouting. I understand nothing they say. Henigmarn and his apprentices encircle the device to add a final, last-minute layer of spells for lift, thrust, and durability. I understand nothing they say either.

Mock is true to her word. In just under half an hour, she pronounces the machine as ready as they can make it on short notice. It is fully stocked with lifting gas, fuel, and all manner of spells.

>Ask both Mock and Henigmarn to come along, see if they're willing and able.
>I'm sure Mock and the mage guy are both pretty busy. Their apprentices should be enough.

"Are you kidding?" Henigmarn folds his arms. "This is high-powered magic here. Those fliers themselves are only slightly more advanced than what I could do, but the sheer number of them… I want to see where the things are coming from. Of course I want to go with you."

"Me too." Mock frowns. "If flying armies are going to become common, I'll need to make all sorts of changes to the castle's defenses.

"On the other hand… We're both pretty specialized. Wherever you're going, you might need help with things other than machines and animation magic." Mock looks at Henigmarn. He gives her a reluctant nod. "We've got several apprentices who could probably observe things and maintain the machine almost as well as we could, and they've taken the time to learn other skills too."
>>
No. 460639 ID: f4d4da
File 134949779110.jpg - (139.48KB , 600x600 , Protector_0046_selectasidekick.jpg )
460639

Mock and Henigmarn gather the apprentices, most of whom have finished their tasks, and give me a brief summary of their abilities.

"I don't know how much you weigh," says Mock, "or exactly how much the machine can carry, but I'd rather not put more than two people on it. Maybe three, if they're not too big."
>>
No. 460649 ID: f2c20c

>>460639
There are two Adrigans listed? He must really want to go.

Also I'd like to point out that if we want to get back the same way, we'll need space for the Prince.
>>
No. 460653 ID: 6dc5a6

Pick Adrigan and find out if she can change personalities at will. Multiple personality disorder is too awesome not to bring along.
>>
No. 460662 ID: b33427

Henigmarn: Considering how many spells are slapped on this flying machine, I wouldn't feel safe if he wasn't along to keep an eye on them. We'll also need him along in case the location the flying golems were made at isn't the location the Prince is at, and we need him to do magical forensics to figure out where they actually went, and perhaps figure out an easy way to destroy them.

Girl Adrigan: Since we don't know how long we're going to be in the field, having someone along who can hunt up food is a good idea, and a bow that can hunt can kill people as well as animals. Her tracking skills will come in handy if we ever have to hunt someone down.

Since these two are are rather small in stature, I think either of the following can fit:

Guy Adrigan: Having someone who can talk his way into places, or us out of trouble, is good. Plus, he can blow things up and set stuff on fire if things go bad.

Or, if he weighs too much, Maleen: Illusion and stealth magics are good, since we might have to infiltrate a location, and the climbing ability will get her over any walls or up into hiding spots.

As for when we get the Prince; He's a child, so pretty light, but if he puts the flying machine over its limits, then someone'll have to be left behind. They'll either have to sneak back via an overland route, or hide until the flying machine can come back for them. Everyone who is going should be made aware of this.

It'd be best if this thing approached the destination under cover of night, since it'll stand out like a sore thumb against the blue sky during the day. Ask Henigmarn if he has a spell of night vision he could cast on the pilot of the flying machine for once it gets within sight of the target island.
>>
No. 460664 ID: bf54a8

>>460662
well once we have the prince secure our bear form may turn off and we shrink.
>>
No. 460666 ID: b33427

>>460664
That might not be until the prince is out of danger, which might not be until he's safely back in Gorvindy territory, so we shouldn't count on it. Plus, even if the Protector does shrink, if the prince is somehow threatened mid-flight, it'll trigger Protector's big form, which if he's in the princes clutch at the time, would be disastrous. Best to figure someone is going to have to stay behind.

Oh, Protector, ask if it's possible you could be filled with lifting gas, to take some weight off the flying machine. You're pretty durable, so you could recover from being stretched out a bit. If they use a big syringe to inject it into you, it'll make gas pockets that'll hopefully seal up with your ability to heal. Though, they'd have to bring the apparatus to make and inject the gas with, for the return trip, so the weight savings could be a wash.
>>
No. 460680 ID: 4a20fa

>>460639
Absolutely Mock, since she's the only advanced mechanist and we're relying on advanced mechanics to not fall.

Henigmarn, because animation/golems are what we're tracking, and "general magic" is most adaptable to what we might face. Which is, again, ultimately advanced quantities of spellcraft.

Save any extra capacity for the prince.
>>
No. 460685 ID: 5ef061

Mock, Heningarm, and Adrigan (the one who can track)
If only we could bring stealthy mage girl, too. We'd be set.
>>
No. 460766 ID: b6edd6

Can Frid shapeshift into something small and lightweight for the duration of the flight?
>>
No. 488651 ID: acc9b6
File 135950648706.jpg - (152.89KB , 600x600 , Protector_0047_trio.jpg )
488651

>There are two Adrigans listed?

Adrigan can be a male or a female name. This apparently causes no end of confusion among the apprentices, as both Adrigans refuse to respond to any nicknames.

>Ask if it's possible you could be filled with lifting gas, to take some weight off the flying machine.

This would be a brilliant idea if my body were built of more airtight materials. Sadly, this is not the case. Even the fabric of the flying machine must be carefully treated to hold the gas; my own skin would let it leak through in a matter of minutes.

>Can Frid shapeshift into something small and lightweight for the duration of the flight?

She apologizes and says no. Mass-changing magic is far beyond her current skills.


After some discussion, we decide to bring Mock, Henigmarn, and the hunting and tracking Adrigan. If my Prince proves too heavy, Adrigan has volunteered to return to Gorvindy on foot after we rescue him.

Once the decision is made, the apprentices quickly gather a lightweight selection of tools, weapons, and other supplies, such as food and rope. Having no need of any of these things, I simply wait.

Would you advise any other preparations before we depart?
>>
No. 488682 ID: f2c20c

I can't think of anything.
>>
No. 488684 ID: 9ddf68

other than makeing sure they have food and water, maybe some form of currency and/or something worth trading incase you come across other towns and should need supplies.
Also in the [incase we are to heavy after we get the prince someone is going to have to get out and walk] problom wouldn't you be able to go back to your smaller form for the trip back and thus way less.
>>
No. 488686 ID: b33427

Did Mock bring along a means of seeing or otherwise navigating in the dark? 'Cause it would be best to bring this very obvious flying machine in under cover of night.

There an estimate on how long this trip is going to take, based on the prevailing winds. We may not have any choice about landing at night or not, depending on them and what time it is now.

What's the plan for the landing procedure? The flying machine is going to have to be tethered down before you're cut loose, lest it shoot into the stratosphere from the sudden loss of ballast. Do they have an anchor of some sort, or are they going to dangle ropes down for you to tie off to trees and rocks?
>>
No. 488687 ID: f2c20c

Oh! Do we have any means of communicating back to the others? If we discover something that the others here need to know, it would be nice to be able to just like, send a message back.
>>
No. 488755 ID: 4a20fa

>>488687
If it can be two-way, even better. Might be able to consult the smarts of the wizards staying home if necessary.
>>
No. 488763 ID: 14bafe

Nah, the mechanical people and the pile of people collecting anything they can think of to make this a successful journey should have this all in hand.

However, can you show up a mental image of what you look like in your dormant form? I have my suspicions, but I'd like confirmation one way or another.
>>
No. 489310 ID: 66ff59

>>488651
>After some discussion
i'd say half a year is enough time for a discussion.

any maps of where we are going?
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason