[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 161574005195.png - (251.36KB , 800x600 , RTS00114032021.png )
991238 No. 991238 ID: 9c4453

It finally stopped raining, just as we arrive at the ridge.

According to the handbook, an assigned worker (which would be me) needs to go the Torrus' Ridge outpost to collect all the outgoing mail and parcels for our designated sector as well as a delivery route to find out which pinnacles we need to visit and in what order, and after that we'll be on our way.

Pilot has also asked me to pick up a few things, so I'll look out for stores and maybe pick up a few things for myself while I'm there.
Expand all images
>>
No. 991239 ID: 9c4453
File 161574008657.png - (361.05KB , 800x600 , RTS00214032021.png )
991239

I haven't heard much about the New World, or much about the pinnacles for that matter, but I do know that they are no place for envelope pushers and couriers. This will be my first time doing delivery runs in the New World, but it should be safe enough considering the infastructure that all these different postage services have invested in.

The buildings in these towns are pretty dirty and old, some seem to have been here for decades, and some for about as long as this place has been known about.They all easily fall apart due to inconsistant ownership, that being because before this land was agreed to have belonged to noone, it was fought over constantly. I don't know my way around so I'll just have to look around for directions.
>>
No. 991240 ID: 9c4453
File 161574011081.png - (381.91KB , 800x600 , RTS00312032021.png )
991240

I wander the streets for a short while until I find a few aves about, I should talk to one and ask where to find the post office, or where I can get useful items. (or maybe ask other questions?)
>>
No. 991241 ID: bc11b8

"Excuse me sir/ma'am, I'm looking for the post office. Can you tell me where it is?"
>>
No. 991242 ID: 567b83

What's an ave? New World? I have so many questions!
>>
No. 991243 ID: e7c7d3

Any idea what is up with the ship graveyard at the edge of town?

Ask the tan ave for the post office
>>
No. 991245 ID: e51896

Speak to the tan ave, they seem to be looking at you and thus most approachable.

"*Tweet tweet*, excuse me, gentleave, may you be so kind as to direct me to the Torrus' Ridge outpost in town please? I must make it there post haste, and I do hope not to be behind schedule on my delivery route on the first day and disappoint everyone, *Chirp chirp*"
>>
No. 991249 ID: 0d6409

Bird quest hype!
Yeah the gray one already noticed you, might as well ask them about the post office. Ask if there’s a town square or popular bar too, you might have a bit of extra time to shop around or meet people.
>>
No. 991251 ID: 9a2966

Say hi to the red-feathered ave, the others seem to be guards or bouncers of sorts since they're standing right next to doors.

Introduce yourself. First time in the New World and all that. Ask about the directions you need (post office / store).
>>
No. 991256 ID: f18774

I think it would be prudent to find important places here, such as a doctor's office or the police station. Hopefully you won't need them, and you could use them as landmarks to navigate the rest of the town.
>>
No. 991260 ID: d31e61

Bust out some sick breakdance moves!
>>
No. 991281 ID: 9c4453
File 161575690306.png - (307.87KB , 800x600 , RTS00415032021.png )
991281

>What's an ave? New World?
Aves are the main people who live on the whole world, and are nearly the only known animal capable of intelligence. The New World is a big new place, a territory where little is known, and the environments of which are vastly different from what we are used to. The New World draws attention from all sorts of groups and civilizations, apparently bearing great treasures and opportunity
>Any idea what is up with the ship graveyard at the edge of town?
From what I heard this Ridge, it's a nutorious battleground that aves have fought over near constantly. nobody has been able to hold onto it long enough for it to be worth fighting for, so this place is a grave for fleets of war ships and abandoned forts. After everyone agreed that nobody wanted to fight for it anymore, this place has been declared land belonging to no ave and those who want to go through may do so freely.
>'Excuse me sir/ma'am'
It's times like these where I really wish I wasn't gender blind, fortunately I've gotten fairly good at evading the polite ways of adressing people.
>Bust out some sick breakdance moves!
Maybe later, or never.
>>
No. 991282 ID: 9c4453
File 161575692467.png - (191.87KB , 800x600 , RTS00515032021.png )
991282

>Ask the tan ave for the post office
I'll approach the tan ave against the wall first, being the first to notice me
>Say hi to the red-feathered ave
I'll do this once I finish talking with tan
>Introduce yourself. First time in the New World and all that. Ask about the directions you need
We're not actually in the new world yet. But we'll be there once we pick up the deliveries.

as I approach, tan is the first to speak
>"Hey there, don't see too many of you around here"
"I won't be here too long, I just need to pick some stuff up. Do you know this place well?"
>"Haven't been here that long but I know my way around well enough, at least in this town, I haven't been in the other ones. What're you looking for?"
"I'm looking for the post office, maybe a town square and some shops"
>"Yeah I can help out with that, what kinds of shops are you looking for?"

I need to find a general store or something where I can buy the stuff that pilot asked for, besides that, what other stores should I look for?
>>
No. 991284 ID: e51896

Ask where a bar is located. That way, you might be able to hear some people who came from the New World talk about their experiences there and you can get a better feel for what the New World is like.
>>
No. 991285 ID: 8483cf

Always check for bars, inns and places to stay away from. Some are more important to know than others.
>>
No. 991286 ID: ce39da

Okay, good, so we're not in no-ave's land just yet. My trust for the surrounding people just shot up a little.

Before we ask, do we already have a personal weapon on us? This is a lawless country we're headed into, after all.

Second, provisions - both food and water. If this is a desert we're headed into, we're gonna need a buffer in case we have to make a particularly long stretch or have to search somewhere on foot.

That's all I can think of; it's been implied that the outpost will deal with all our navigational needs, and if not, we can ask there.

Ask for where to get the stuff you don't already have as well as the outpost.
>>
No. 991287 ID: 894419

>>991282
Not sure how much cash you have to spend but if have the money you should also stop somewhere to buy a pistol or a blade for emergency self defense. Medical supplies too.
>>
No. 991314 ID: afe7de

Do you have any kind of weapon? or are you skilled in the use of your talons or?

But yeah check for bars so you can get some more info.
>>
No. 991375 ID: 9c4453
File 161578636972.png - (225.62KB , 800x600 , RTS00615032021.png )
991375

>do we already have a personal weapon on us?
>Do you have any kind of weapon? or are you skilled in the use of your talons or?
I can't use weapons! Well, I'm not allowed to use weapons. Couriers and postal workers are prohibited from using weapons because of the code in the handbook. if we feel that we are at risk we are instead instructed to travel in groups, hire a gaurd or mercenary, or to flee from danger. None of that is to say we're not allowed to own weapons, we just can't use them. Also, my talons are far too blunt to use for defence! especially against a beast with big teeth!

>Ask for where to get the stuff you don't already have as well as the outpost.
"So can you show me where I can find a general store, a weapon shop, a place where I can find medical supplies, the outpost and the nearest tavern?"
>"Alright so you want to start to head north when-- oh - ok wait, I think I have a better idea"
>"just give me a minute, I'll draw you up a quick map showing all the nearest places you described"

Tan reaches to his satchel and opens it to pull out a book and a writing tool. He flicks through pages of drawings until he stops at an empty one, and begins to sketch out a rough map.
I wonder what the book is being used for? the drawings looked very technical.
>>
No. 991377 ID: 9c4453
File 161578640155.png - (237.36KB , 800x600 , RTS00715032021.png )
991377

While the map is being sketched, I notice he wrote down the location of the library.
"What's the library for?"
>"Oh I go there from time to time, putting that down as a landmark helps me remember the rest of the layout, but if you want to go there, I recommend you check it out, Especially if you're going to the New World, because so many go in without knowing a thing and get themselves in danger from something that could've been prevented easily had it been known better... Not to say I have been to the New World myself, I only see what is left of those who return"
It could be a good idea to buy a book or two to read while on long trips
>>
No. 991379 ID: 9c4453
File 161578641573.png - (234.83KB , 800x600 , RTS00815032021.png )
991379

After the crude map has been completed, Tan rips the page out of the book and hands it to me.
"Here you go!, free of charge! There's no town hall or police station since the law here is pretty much self enforced by the locals, but you could always wander the empty buildings if you wanted"
A map, how Helpful!
One could assume that the bar doubles as an inn, not that we'll be needing a place to sleep since we we have cots on the ship, and we should be good on food.

Where should I go first? I can stop at some shops on the way to the outpost, and after the outpost I can make my way down to the bar. I could also ask what the red ave sitting outside knows about the New World, if anything.
>>
No. 991381 ID: afe7de

Head to the Library and get some books for the road, you may be a courier but traveling's kinda lonesome without a good pal or a good book!
>>
No. 991383 ID: 8483cf

Thank them profusely! Are they a mapmaker? Surveyor? One good turn deserves another, maybe you can do them a favor later.
>>
No. 991391 ID: e51896

The bar may have some body guards.

Hmm... how much money do we have currently? what is in our inventory?
>>
No. 991394 ID: 894419

"That's awfully kind of you!" If you think you'll have the money after buying supplies offer to get them a drink sometime in return.
>>
No. 991396 ID: 0d6409

Gotta thank the helpful fellow(?) out and at least introduce ourselves after they sketched such a quality map. It’s good to know a friendly face or two. Maybe we should stop by the stores on our way back so we don’t have to carry weapons or supplies everywhere.

...then again maybe check the weapon shop first as a paranoid just in case kinda thing.
>>
No. 991418 ID: ce39da

Wait, so you can't even personally defend yourself against wild animals? Huh. I think if we do buy a weapon, it'd be a tiny pistol we always have cocked but never loaded. Does waving around an empty gun count as using it? (Then again, this conjecture is based on some very negative expectations regarding the locals we'll encounter.)

Personally, I'd say we should hit it all up in a circuit; Bar, Outpost, Stores, Port, in that order. We can decide what stores we visit and in what order after we've received our briefing, and we don't want to have our precious mail on us when we're in ye olde shanty tavern.
>>
No. 991488 ID: 9c4453
File 161584771580.png - (291.58KB , 800x600 , RTS00916032021.png )
991488

>Wait, so you can't even personally defend yourself against wild animals?
Well, not being allowed to use weapons is more for the reputation of the postage services, not just the one I work for. Since we'll mostly just be within the colonies, we should be safe from wild animals for the most part. Should a situation where I am confronted by a wild animal, I'll need to think of a way that doesn't involve using a weapon, or use a tool that doesn't count as a weapon? I've heard of loopholes but I'd have to ask my crew.
>I think if we do buy a weapon, it'd be a tiny pistol we always have cocked but never loaded. Does waving around an empty gun count as using it?
I can totally do that! It can even be loaded, I just can't use it to harm anyone directly is all.
>how much money do we have currently? what is in our inventory?
I have enough money to buy whatever I may need (or want). I'm using my own money so I'll be keeping what I buy. It's a good idea to get supplies here because items bought further towards the frontier are gouged.
I don't have too much on me at the moment, I have a pouch on the back of my belt which has a postage manual with my instructions, a few papers I need to show to the workers at the post office and enough money to buy what I need

>Gotta thank the helpful fellow(?) out and at least introduce ourselves after they sketched such a quality map
>Thank them profusely! Are they a mapmaker? Surveyor? One good turn deserves another, maybe you can do them a favor later.

"That's awfully kind of you!"
>"Hey don't sweat it, I'm waiting on someone so I had time to burn, it's nice to meet someone literate and not a loud crazy weirdo"
"My name is Pascoe, It was nice to meet you"
>"Nice to meet you too, I also have a name, but I can't really say because that would kinda defeat the point of me hiding in this town. You can call me Faspan, which is my alias. It isn't likely we'll meet again but I'd be happy to see you come back in one piece"
"Is there any way I could return the favor?"
>"You're a postie right? I have some letters going out to friends in the pinnacles, so if you could make sure those letters get to them, I would be grateful. you can find my alias on which letters I have sent.

>Personally, I'd say we should hit it all up in a circuit; Bar, Outpost, Stores, Port, in that order
The longer I think of it, the more exciting the bar sounds, so I think I'll go do a circuit, unless I can think of any better ideas
>>
No. 991489 ID: 9c4453
File 161584773575.png - (233.12KB , 800x600 , RTS01016032021.png )
991489

>"Oh, and one more thing that I was meaning to ask you-... Does it hurt?"

"..."

"No."
>>
No. 991490 ID: b1b4f3

Does what hurt?
...oh you've got an artificial leg, I bet.

Anyway if you can't really use a weapon I'm not sure there's any point to it... you said you can't *directly* hurt someone with it. How well do you think you could use a weapon to indirectly hurt people? Or maybe you can get something that you can defend yourself with without hurting people? Like, a smoke bomb to give you the chance to escape, or something to restrain attackers with so they can't hurt you? A glue bomb or bola?
>>
No. 991491 ID: 1c96de

It does hurt sometimes, looking this good, but I soldier on.
>>
No. 991493 ID: 0fae41

Does your face hurt? 'Cause it's killin' me!
>>
No. 991497 ID: ce39da

... Does what hurt? Pascoe, that's the "no" of a guy who knows exactly what this dude is talking about. Better for us to clarify this now rather than have it be a nasty surprise later.

Other than that, though, carry on.

Come to think of it, "Faspan" was, uh... very forward about his clandestine circumstances, even if he never mentioned any specifics besides his alias. This really is a lawless expanse if those types can afford to be so casual about their almost certainly criminal status. Good to know to be careful when delivering his letters, though. (Then again, since this is the New World, we should probably be careful in general.)
>>
No. 991538 ID: 894419

>>991489
Busted leg? Ugly scar? What do we got that would hurt?
>>
No. 991636 ID: 864e49

Replacement Robot legs?
>>
No. 991660 ID: 86aaf2

Huh. I thought the corny pick-up line was 'Did it hurt?' and then when the other party says 'Did what hurt?' then the answer is, 'When you fell from heaven?'. Is this a new variant?
>>
No. 991661 ID: 9c4453
File 161593517846.png - (428.99KB , 800x600 , RTS01116032021.png )
991661

>...oh you've got an artificial leg, I bet.
There's nothing artificial about me!
>Busted leg? Ugly scar? What do we got that would hurt?
Nothing! At least it wasn't the weirdest question I've been asked about what I am.
>This really is a lawless expanse if those types can afford to be so casual about their almost certainly criminal status
Oh yeah this place is practically a criminal sanctuary, no rules, remember? Lots of criminals and pirates who see themselves being chased by the law come here or the New World to evade capture and continue their operations. Most countries know sending their authority to the ridge equates to declaring soveriegnty in some sense, which would spark another war or political disaster

With my objectives in mind, I follow the directions on the map which seems to be accurate for the most part, save for the occasional obstacle, and before too long I make it to the bar, or, the Tavern as the sign says (Just 'Tavern'?). It seems we came here during a slow season as there aren't too many wandering the streets, which could probably be attributed to the fact that this town isn't as populated as the others on this island or all the traffic from the Old World has been delayed by the storm we came in on.
>>
No. 991662 ID: 9c4453
File 161593524057.png - (237.65KB , 800x600 , RTS01216032021.png )
991662

I make my way inside but after seeing how empty some of the streets are. I wonder where everybody is?
>>
No. 991663 ID: 9c4453
File 161593525637.png - (239.67KB , 800x600 , RTS01316032021.png )
991663

...oh.
>>
No. 991664 ID: 9c4453
File 161593527879.png - (324.17KB , 800x600 , RTS01416032021.png )
991664

Well, now that that mystery has been solved, we can get down to business.
I doubt everyone here has experienced the new world for themselves, but I'm certain there's many. There has to be at least 40 aves in here, maybe more.
I don't have the time to talk to every single one if we want to leave for the pinnacles before dark.
The way I see it, I have a few options; first off, I could wander around and look for individuals of interest such as fighters, privateers, explorers, et cetera. Second, I could try looking for groups or factions of aves that look like they come from the New World. Lastly, I can try make my way to the front of the Tavern and talk to the barkeep, who I'm sure has heard of many stories and could answer a few of my questions.
I should also think of what kinds of questions I want to ask, and what kind of ave/s I be looking for?
>>
No. 991666 ID: e70a29

Barkeep first! Then try and make eye contact with anyone interested in you. Works like a charm.
>>
No. 991667 ID: 894419

>>991666
Sounds like a plan
>>
No. 991670 ID: b1b4f3

>>991661
Well what are you then? Chimera?
>>991664
Find someone who looks familiar with the New World and ask if they have any advice for a new postman.
>>
No. 991674 ID: 2aa5f0

I say start with the barkeep. They might know something but they would more than likely at least know people who would know something and could point you in there direction saving you time trying to figure out who's who all by yourself.
>>
No. 991728 ID: 9c4453
File 161597636208.png - (194.15KB , 800x600 , RTS01516032021.png )
991728

>Well what are you then? Chimera?
That'd be correct! to be more specific, I'm a--
Without warning and without sound, something grabs into both my legs and pulls them, making me tumble forwards onto the floor.
>>
No. 991729 ID: 9c4453
File 161597639165.png - (217.56KB , 800x600 , RTS01616032021.png )
991729

Right before I process what's happening, I'm lifted completely off the ground by my feet and hung upside down, my eyes first to meet with a large beak looking down on me.
Some people in the Tavern notice this happen but none choose to intervine. I can only hope this Ave's intends on being non-violent.

>"A Pseudogryph!"
"That's... right..."
>"Oh I've heard lots about your kind"
"What kinds of things?"
>"I heard you're all tough, extraordinary warriors! huge with talons sharp as daggers, bills that can tear like an axe! Being on my way to prove that I'm the strongest duelist, I was gettin' real excited thinking of getting the opportunity to fight one on one, and see if It could break my status as undefeated. It all sounded too good to be true! which, apparently, it was!, because the first one I've seen on my way to the New World is some scrawny postie."
>"So if my eyes lie to me, tell me; what exactly am I looking at here? Or do you want to take this outside and prove to me you're the chimera beast people talk about?"

Looks like the barkeep will have to wait, It seems I have already caught the attention of another.

I'm definitely not fighting this thing, not that voilence is completely against my principles or anything, It's that there's simply no way I am winning a fair fight against someone like this...
What do I do to de-escalate the situation?
>>
No. 991731 ID: 9aa12d

Politely decline on that fight, you got work to do and by gah this mail needs to move.
>>
No. 991732 ID: 12b116

kiss on the beak "I'm a lover, not a fighter."
>>
No. 991737 ID: 422cea

>Pseudogryph

-tick tock tick tock-

...So you're part feline?

...From the waist down?

>oh baby
>>
No. 991740 ID: ce39da

"If you're a duelist, then would you be willing to accept my declining your offer to fight?"

If he asks whether you're scared of losing: "Fear implies uncertainty, so it has nothing to do with this; in a fair fight, I'm certain I would lose!"

If he's still intent on fighting: "Would you be interested in an alternative means of competition that doesn't involve grievous bodily harm?"
>>
No. 991745 ID: 9a2966

Offer truth with modifications, present yourself as young, inexperienced (but eager and not afraid just cuz he's a big guy) and appeal to his clear sense of fightin' ego.

"Can't help bein' runty, but you'd want an older and more experienced 'gryph if you really wanted to test yourself regardless. Got this courier job besides, so not gonna accept duels. Though I guess you weren't really offering."

Pause.

"But dang, undefeated you say? Really? How many duels? What's your name? Do you do autographs?"
>>
No. 991770 ID: b1b4f3

>>991729
"a scrawny postie."
>>
No. 991811 ID: 86aaf2

Try mildly self-depreciating humor, with a bit of distraction maybe? I would suggest against kissing him on the beak or anything, might piss him off.

"Yea, not all of us got those genes. Not like I'm jealous of my non-runt siblings who have all those amazing things. Okay, yea, I'm totally jealous of all of them! I have a better singing voice than they do, though!"

And then you sing your heart out?
>>
No. 991816 ID: 9f00f2

>>991732
I like the imagery of taking a kind of stressful situation and turning it into an awkward one where they probably drop you in confusion.
>>
No. 991855 ID: 9c4453
File 161604015898.png - (239.77KB , 800x600 , RTS01718032021.png )
991855

>...So you're part feline?
>...From the waist down?
That would be almost correct save for the technicality that my waist is up in the air right now!
>kiss on the beak
If that gets mistaken for a bite, I would expect immediate repercussions!


I decide to employ my charismatic charm.
"I'm a lover, not a fighter!"
>"Well you won't love what'll happen if you deny the duel."
"If you're a duelist, then would you be willing to accept my declining your offer to fight?"
>"Oh, believe me, I have ways of making you accept! I don't care if you're afraid of losing."
"Fear implies uncertainty, so it has nothing to do with this; in a fair fight, I'm certain I would lose!"
>"And I'm certain I would win! and everyone will know that I beat a chimera in a duel! so it doesn't matter what you think!"
"Would you be interested in an alternative means of competition that doesn't involve grievous bodily harm?"
>"Listen; A fight with a runt like you would be a easy, and I don't like doing things just because they're easy, fighting with you wouldn't be fun for me either, but it's not my fault you were unprepared!

>Offer truth with modifications, present yourself as young, inexperienced (but eager and not afraid just cuz he's a big guy) and appeal to his clear sense of fightin' ego.
This is a good idea! and not entirely untrue! One thing that sets us apart from aves is our ability to adapt to environments faster than others! The only reason I'm not a powerful fighter is because I have never been in a fight before.

"Can't help being runty, but you'd want an older and more experienced 'gryph if you really wanted to test yourself regardless. I'm just a courier, so I'm not gonna accept duels. Though I guess you weren't really offering."

The ave stops to mull over this statement, And I use this pause to continue.

"But dang, undefeated you say? Really? How many duels? What's your name? Do you do autographs?"

...

>"I see what you're saying now. It's not that you're saying you can't beat me in a duel... you're saying you just can't beat me yet?"
...Well that's one way to go with this...
>>
No. 991858 ID: b1b4f3

>>991855
...sure. If one day you stop being a courier, and become an experienced adventurer capable of fighting creatures twice your size, you'll accept the duel.

Or, if you find a pseudogryph that can actually fight, you could introduce them to the duelist and they can fight instead of you?
>>
No. 991860 ID: 12b116

Yes. That's exactly right. In a year and a day you will return to this tavern and be able to truly challenge the Ave to a duel with a much less foregone conclusion!

(note that you can definitely be lying about this.)
>>
No. 991862 ID: 9f00f2

>>991860
Why don’t you fight me in a year and a day, I’m going out to the New World anyway, I’m bound to be stronger and someone you wouldn’t feel pity on fighting.

Also aren’t duels normally to the death? You really want to avoid dying, so a white lie couldn’t hurt could it?
>>
No. 991863 ID: 8a51ec

Play along, you might even make friends with him if you play your cards right.
"I hadn't thought of it like that, you're technically correct. I've never bothered to get experienced with fighting, but I could potentially become a force to be reckoned with given enough time and dedication."
>>
No. 991888 ID: 3ed3c3

That's certainly one way of looking at it.
>>
No. 991890 ID: ce39da

"In theory, yes, I suppose you can look at it that way, although I'm not special in that regard. Any mountain's a goal, after all, no matter if you're a pseudo-griff or a tiny sparrow."

>>991863
I like this answer, too; maybe have one lead into the other. It's not even all that dishonest.

Question; do claws and beaks count as weapons? What about punching, kicking, throwing and grappling, etc?
>>
No. 991892 ID: 86aaf2

What are the local terms of duels? Yield? First blood? Three solid hits? Three 'taps'? Incapacitation? Oh god, DEATH? Can I get a second or a champion or something? I don't know how any of this works!
>>
No. 991894 ID: 9a2966

>can't beat me yet
Yyyyeeee?-oh wait, no no no. You're not sure you can beat him at all! You're, like, smol. In order to even have a shot you'd have to entirely change occupation, bulk up and get real down and duelly for a while!

And you can't change your jobs yet. Just got this one!

So right now you prefer watching duels to fighting them. He got any interesting matches lined up today? Or did he snag you cuz' he was just that bored? Sorry to disappoint!
>>
No. 991953 ID: 9c4453
File 161611301487.png - (259.69KB , 800x600 , RTS01818032021.png )
991953

>...sure. If one day you stop being a courier, and become an experienced adventurer capable of fighting creatures twice your size, you'll accept the duel.
I only do this job because I like it! and I could never become an adventurer because I hate adventurers! Besides, I think postponing this "duel" is the only way to ensure it can't happen at all.
>What are the local terms of duels? Yield? First blood? Three solid hits? Three 'taps'? Incapacitation? Oh god, DEATH? Can I get a second or a champion or something? I don't know how any of this works!
I don't understand it too well either, but I've heard about the duelist culture that collects itself in the New world, experienced fighters from all over have some sort of obession with earning the title of strongest person in the world. If my understanding is correct the usual terms of a dual is incapacitation or until your opponent cannot physically fight any longer, neither of which sound too appealing to me which is why I'd like to avoid this altogether!
>Question; do claws and beaks count as weapons? What about punching, kicking, throwing and grappling, etc?
Not at all, we can defend ourselves to only that extent pretty much. If someone wanted to fight I could in theory defend myself in these ways, it's just guns and other weapons where the line gets drawn.

>Yyyyeeee?-oh wait, no no no. You're not sure you can beat him at all! You're, like, smol. In order to even have a shot you'd have to entirely change occupation, bulk up and get real down and duelly for a while!
Which I don't plan on doing, ever! I like my job! I'm good at it! and I'm not a fighter!
>And you can't change your jobs yet. Just got this one!
I've had this job for a long time actually, but this is my first time doing a delivery run to the New World.

>So right now you prefer watching duels to fighting them. He got any interesting matches lined up today? Or did he snag you cuz' he was just that bored? Sorry to disappoint!
"Why me? Don't you have any other matches lined up today?
>"Nope! I came to this tavern to clean house! much to my disappointment, nobody wants to fight me and I already ran out of the ones that did!, so you just happened to come at the perfect time!"

"you're technically correct that I can't fight you now! I've never bothered to get experienced with fighting, but I could potentially become a force to be reckoned with given enough time and dedication."
>"That's right, I've heard all about how you chimeras are fast learners, so I wouldn't have to wait long at all, right?
"Less so than if I were an ave..."
>>
No. 991955 ID: 9c4453
File 161611305141.png - (199.41KB , 800x600 , RTS01918032021.png )
991955

>Yes. That's exactly right. In a year and a day you will return to this tavern and be able to truly challenge the Ave to a duel with a much less foregone conclusion!
"How does a yea--"
>"How does 2 weeks sound? That's how long it takes to go across the pinnacle islands, which is what a postie like you is doing on the ridge, you're doing a delivery run, aren't you? taking weather delays into consideration, You should get to me in about that time, seeing as I'll be on an island towards the end of the route. Don't worry about looking for me because I'll find you.

>Or, if you find a pseudogryph that can actually fight, you could introduce them to the duelist and they can fight instead of you?
"Does the fight have to be with me? what if I can find another pseudogryph to fight for me? one who is an experienced fighter or a duelist like you?
>"Now that would be even better! If you can find and convince one to come fight for you, then you don't have to worry about everyone seeing me humiliate you."
>>
No. 991956 ID: 9c4453
File 161611306818.png - (194.44KB , 800x600 , RTS02019032021.png )
991956

Before I can get a respone in, the grasp on my legs is loosened and I fall to the floor on my back.
>"My name is Hakrei, and I'll see you sooner or later, whether you're ready or not."
Hakrei takes a few steps into the tavern and turns to say something else
"And I was getting real exited about that fight, now I have all this fighting energy I don't know what to do with. I think I'll go beat up the next postie I see. if you need to find me I'll be at the bar.

I have every intention of avoiding this duel at all costs!
>>
No. 991959 ID: b1b4f3

What a jerk.
Any way you can change your route to miss him? Like, go to the end sooner rather than later?

You should ask the barkeep if he's seen any pseudogryphs lately.
>>
No. 991967 ID: 8a51ec

Totally unrelated question: are most duelists the "bad guy in a story who gets unceremoniously shot in the back of the head while talking by the bigger bad guy" types?
>>
No. 991968 ID: 12b116

Do you think you could get to the place he's going to be waiting for you and get gone before he gets there?
>>
No. 991972 ID: 9f00f2

You have enough money for personal stuff right? Would you be able to hire an assasin to break a leg of his or something so you don’t have to fight them? You REALLY don’t wanna fight this crazy weirdo.
>>
No. 991973 ID: 3ed3c3

Can't help but notice nobody came to your aid.
Can you report that asshole to someone? Some form of law enforcement?
>>
No. 991978 ID: 86aaf2

Let's not escalate to hiring thugs to break kneecaps! Maybe only in idle fantasies for now. That kind of thing isn't who you are! Though, brainstorming like that is useful! There are no bad ideas in a brainstorm! Saying, 'this idea is stupid' comes AFTER.
>>
No. 991986 ID: a8318a

>>991956
You need to pull up your big-bird pants and get back on track with prepping yourself for work. Maybe thats a poor metaphor as pants look to be something of a prissy fashion afterthought if they exist at all. The point is that you don’t have the luxury of anyave catching you if fall flat on your kitty cat ass out here. You were a feather away from having the thanksgiving stuffing kicked out of you and nobody treated it as much more than a normal ruckus. ‘Criminal sanctuary’

Pilot did say to pick up some things from the general store. Refamilierize with what they are and Slink away from this mess of a mess hall in embarrassment after making a scene and for that matter do try to keep your coins close at hand along the way.
>>
No. 991993 ID: 858699

You know, it may sound crazy, but... what if we hired him as our bodyguard? It'll give us a chance to build a friendship with him so we wont have to duel, and he is strong. Might give him a chance to find strong fighters out there, maybe even a replacement pseudogryph.
>>
No. 992016 ID: df44ee

>>991993
this is an obviously terrible idea because I have sincere doubts we'll be safe in their care, but we should absolutely do it because I like the character dynamics here

hotblooded brutalist and a calculating coward, absolutely stellar setup! Plus we might be able to see them in action and gain insight into their strengths and weaknesses, while ALSO having an opportunity to figure out the whole "don't get killed" problem!

this can only go poorly! Can't wait!
>>
No. 992027 ID: 9a2966

Well, bullet dodged (for now).

What else is going on in this tavern? Have a look around. Maybe get a nip of something to take the edge of meeting Hakrei before you head off?

While you're at the bar, could considering chatting with the bartender / locals a little, do some info-gathering about Hakrei (fighting style, is he like that all the time?, etc.), local gossip (anything interesting/troubling going on), what the area around your new post route is like, etc.
>>
No. 992062 ID: 9c4453
File 161620320589.png - (281.45KB , 800x600 , RTS02119032021.png )
992062

>Any way you can change your route to miss him? Like, go to the end sooner rather than later?
I don't know if there's too much I can do to avoid Hakrei in terms of routing, but when the time comes I'll do my best to avoid being seen, or cross my fingers that someone manages to win a dual somewhere along Hakrei's war path.
>Totally unrelated question: are most duelists the "bad guy in a story who gets unceremoniously shot in the back of the head while talking by the bigger bad guy" types?
To my understanding, you can't have too many people with that same type of competitive mindset, chances are that there are more like Hakrei in the New World.
>Do you think you could get to the place he's going to be waiting for you and get gone before he gets there?
There are way too many variables to take into consideration, so I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
>You have enough money for personal stuff right? Would you be able to hire an assasin to break a leg of his or something so you don’t have to fight them?
I don't know if I'm willing to go that far for someone who might not even last two weeks fighting everone crossing their path, especially since assassins are expensive and might not even be able to get the job done.
>Can't help but notice nobody came to your aid. Can you report that asshole to someone? Some form of law enforcement?
Plenty of people were watching but something tells me this isn't the first incident. Onlookers were concerned but I think they knew they couldn't do any more than I could. This place doesn't really have much in the way of law enforcement, as far as the law goes it's anarchy, all that stops people from robbing and looting everything is that fact that almost everyone is armed and willing to fight back.
>You know, it may sound crazy, but... what if we hired him as our bodyguard? It'll give us a chance to build a friendship with him so we wont have to duel, and he is strong. Might give him a chance to find strong fighters out there, maybe even a replacement pseudogryph.
Something tells me that Hakrei isn't the type that is motivated by money. I think if not for the fact my species' has its reputation, Hakrei wouldn't be as interested in me. Us getting along isn't completely out of the question, but I would need to do something worthy of the dualist's respect.
>>
No. 992063 ID: 9c4453
File 161620322849.png - (335.49KB , 800x600 , RTS02219032021.png )
992063

>What else is going on in this tavern? Have a look around. Maybe get a nip of something to take the edge of meeting Hakrei before you head off?
Aside from that brief encounter, things almost seem just like they were when I came in. Everyone seems rather unfased, some giving an understanding look. I make my way over to the bar, content on getting the information I came here for. I don't know if I'll be drinking and we're not supposed to drink during work hours.

When I get close enough to the bar, a blue ave standing behind the counter (Who I assume is the barkeep) greets me.

>"Hey buddy, just saw what happened. if it makes you feel any better, she's been doing this to everyone all day. We can't get her to leave. I'm not the usual guy by the way, he had to go see the doctor to get his beak unchipped. If you want anything, we put all the glass, plates and bottles away because it kept getting broken, we're only serving beverages in tankards for now."
>"If you wanted to talk we can do that too, we're not really getting any new customers because the dualist is scaring them off."

I can see Hakrei at the end of the bar, fortunately, bothering someone other than me.

>While you're at the bar, could considering chatting with the bartender / locals a little, do some info-gathering about Hakrei (fighting style, is he like that all the time?, etc.), local gossip (anything interesting/troubling going on), what the area around your new post route is like, etc.
"Is the dualist like that all the time?"
>"She has only been here for today, but has so far managed to break a bunch of inventory and property, beat around twenty aves, Including our last barkeep and all our gaurds, all while being unarmed. I haven't seen her lose yet but I don't believe that she can't be stopped, we get aves like this every week or so, thinking they are the best fighters and all. She doesn't seem malicious though, I haven't seen her kill or permanantly injure anyone. Luckily it looks as though she'll be getting bored and leaving before too long."
What's the first thing I should ask about? Factions? Bounties? Groups/Governments? Intersting aves? Chimeras? The Pinnacles/New World?
>>
No. 992070 ID: 8a51ec

Can't be a bad idea to learn more about the New World if you're headed there. What exactly is it like? Anything you should know? Anyone there comparable to Hakrei who... have a much more relativistic duel ethic you might want to avoid?
>>
No. 992077 ID: ce39da

Huh. Well, now. We can take solace in knowing that even if she does end up fighting us, we aren't going to end up in a morgue, and if we do make good on hitting her island last, getting beat up won't disrupt the route. So, while undesirable, failing to solve her whole situation wouldn't be the end of the world. It'd be better to put more mental energy into anticipating the much more serious problems we'll likely encounter before that point.

Tell the barkeep you already know to be generally wary; however, is there anything in particular along our route we need to watch out for? Stuff like dangerous geographic regions, legendary monsters, faction politics, individuals to run away from really fast, etc.
>>
No. 992078 ID: 8483cf

Ask about the New World!
>>
No. 992102 ID: d5825c

"she"
huh i never knew
>>
No. 992124 ID: c53a0a

Lets get info on the new world
>>
No. 992166 ID: 9c4453
File 161626003774.png - (186.73KB , 800x600 , RTS02321032021.png )
992166

>Can't be a bad idea to learn more about the New World if you're headed there. What exactly is it like?
>Ask about the New World!
>Lets get info on the new world
That does seem like the obvious thing to start off with
"What exactly is the New World? What do you know about it? What's it like?"
>"It's a little difficult to answer that question, especially since I haven't seen alot myself, but I have heard things. I went there briefly and it didn't take long for me to reconsider.
Best way for me to sum it up? It's tropical hell. Anything and everything is out to get you. You should see the kinds of people I see who come back, always a story to tell about the wounds and curses in which they are afflicted. "

"But they go back anyway, there's treasures and opportunities for just about all walks of life. Jungles for the explorer, beasts and monsters for the hunter, fruits and plants for the trader, ruins for the historian, skies for the cartogropher, anomalies for the storm chaser, land for the conquerer, and a new life for the disenfranchised, the renegades, the outcasts, the outsiders. Nations have been desperate to claim as much of the New World for themselves, and have put huge efforts into building colonies and fortresses on all land short of the frontier itself. Then there's postal workers like you, who ensure well enough that the colonies stay connected to the rest of the world."

>Tell the barkeep you already know to be generally wary; however, is there anything in particular along our route we need to watch out for? Stuff like dangerous geographic regions, legendary monsters, faction politics, individuals to run away from really fast, etc.
"I know I need to generally be cautious, but is there anything I should watch out for? locations, monsters, factions, aves?"
>"All of the above. There are four things you need to watch out for in the New World; The monsters, who will chase you, the plants, which will trap you, the aves, who will fight you, and the tempests, which will disfigure you in strange ways. You need to watch out for all of it, but I don't know much of the specifics, as I have heard stories, too many, so if you got questions, ask em'"
>"And If you want to know more about factions I can always direct you to members seated around the Tavern."
>>
No. 992191 ID: e51896

Ask about body guards around here that might be able to help you, or if some members of the factions could lend you a hand.
>>
No. 992214 ID: d5825c

>tempests
>>
No. 992253 ID: ce39da

If there are too many noteworthy individual people and places to bear mentioning, then let’s focus on what can be discussed in broad strokes.

> “Er, back up; what do storms have to do with curses?”

After that, move on to getting a lay of the larger factions; hopefully they all understand that you’re a neutral party in whatever struggles they might have.
>>
No. 992323 ID: 8483cf

>"Land for the Conqueror"

Tell me more.
>>
No. 992415 ID: 9c4453
File 161633908188.png - (210.09KB , 800x600 , RTS02421032021.png )
992415

>tempests
> “Er, back up; what do storms have to do with curses?”
“Wait, wait, did you say tempests? storms? curses? What does any of that mean?”
>>
No. 992416 ID: 9c4453
File 161633910426.png - (187.77KB , 800x600 , RTS02521032021.png )
992416

>"They don't tell you guys much about the New World do they? I suppose nobody knows everything. The weather of the New World is unlike anywhere else, and unlike any storm you're ever seen or heard of, New World weather makes absolutely no sense. There is no rhyme or reason as to how they do what they do or where they decide to appear. We only barely understand the effects of a few of these anomalous events, so if you can identify them early enough, avoid them."
"What kinds of curses have you heard of?"
>"I have heard of stories about mists rotting the wood off galleys, soft breezes which rusts and erodes the iron of a ship to nothing, rain that can set your feathers on fire, fog which whipes memories to a clean slate, monsoons which shifts your gravity upsidedown, and tempests which I have heard have once petrified an entire fleet into chalk statues. Some storms unknowingly move ships instantly from one part of the world to another, while some ships are simply found with all the crew having disappeared with their outfits laying on the floor where they last stood. It's all mysterious, and the aves who came back are living proof.
"Will I ever be safe from those sorts of things?"
>"Some areas are more prone to anomalies than others, the cartogropher's guild works hard to map out the danger zones of the new world so be sure to get an up to date map."
"What about on land?"
>"On land you are usually safe, besides the occasional flash freezes or ice daggers. All I know is what I have heard, if you want to know more you should either find a meteorologist or look for a book on the subject."

>After that, move on to getting a lay of the larger factions; hopefully they all understand that you’re a neutral party in whatever struggles they might have.
"What are the factions and groups I should know about?"
>"Not on the ridge, but there are many different groups you should worry about varying from pinnacle to pinnacle. militias, pirates, marauders, poachers, conquerers, cursed ore hunters, ancient prospectors, mercenaries as well as many other special interest groups. Many I doubt would have any interest in someone like you, unless they knew you were holding onto something valuable."
>>
No. 992417 ID: bc11b8

What the hell is this, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of the Bermuda Triangle?
>>
No. 992420 ID: 86aaf2

Oh. Oh no. It is a place where horrible, reality-changing Anomalies can come upon you like a Stalker out of the bush when you're having a nice Roadside Picnic?
>>
No. 992437 ID: 9a2966

>>992416
You'd like to know more about the ancient ruin prospectors, since it sounds interesting. Are there any organized groupings of those around here?

Or maybe a mapping/scouting organization you can get the most up-to-date maps from - like, if they got any more recent updates than whatever maps you can buy in the store.

(Anyway, buy something off the ave, they're being courteous and helpful. Have they got any claw foods (finger foods) and non-alcoholic drinks?)
>>
No. 992440 ID: c50e45

How many pillars are there? Also, let's ask about chimeras.
>>
No. 992443 ID: b1b4f3

>>992416
Good thing we're just carrying mail.
Maybe it's time to ask about the factions.
>>
No. 992446 ID: 8a51ec

So the kind of place where touching an invisible piece of thread can give you a heart attack 2 minutes later. Fun. Anything more about the cartographer's guild or is the name self-explanatory?
>>
No. 992461 ID: 864e49

>>992416
I didn't realize the New World was inside the fucking WARP!
What in the name of sweet fuck have we gotten ourselves into?
>>
No. 992462 ID: 86aaf2

>>992461

((I haven't seen a discussion thread so putting it here: IMO, it's probably more a reference to 'The Zone' of the novel 'Roadside Picnic', as well as 'Stalker' (the 1979 movie based on the book), and the 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.' series of video games likewise based on the book, rather than The Warp of 40k fame.))
>>
No. 992572 ID: 9c4453
File 161639183685.png - (176.09KB , 800x600 , RTS02622032021.png )
992572

I have a load more questions I want to ask, but I'd be here a long time if I wanted to have them all answered.

The bartender speaks up
>"Ah, I didn't mean to scare you or anything! weather anomalies are the least of your worries, most of them are extremely rare to begin with. So much so that storm chasers exist to document and study them."
>Anything more about the cartographer's guild or is the name self-explanatory?
"Could you tell me more about the storm chasers? the cartogrophers and the prospectors also?"
>"I could but there are Aves in the tavern right now who could do a better job than I could.
>let's ask about chimeras.
"So what do you know about chimeras? have you met many? have many live in the New World?
>"Your kind aren't too rare but you're not exacty common either. Many Aves from the Old World have never seen one in person. It is my understanding that many live in the New World. I have seen a few coming through in my time but I don't know if there are any currently on the ridge besides you. Anyway, I've rambled too much anyway, is there something I can get for you?"

>Buy something off the ave, they're being courteous and helpful. Have they got any claw foods (finger foods) and non-alcoholic drinks?
I'm not really a drinker, and as a matter a fact, if I were to drink too much I would gain a resistance to getting drunk anyway, which is besides the point because I shouldn't be drinking while working anyway. It does sound like a good idea to get something for the figurative road.
"Is there anything I could bring with me that'd last a while?"
>"Oh I have just the thing!"
The barkeep reaches beneath the counter and pulls out a bag sized to fit the palm of a hand
>"How does a bag of mixed nuts sound? all from the old world,very light, plus they'll last for a couple months and can be kept in all sorts of conditions. 2 crescents a bag, how's that sound?
That actually does sound very nice, and 2 crescent isn't alot.
"I'll take one, please."
I put two small coins on the table and I am handed the bag
>"Pleasure doing business! and if that's all, I see a few Aves that need refills, I can redirect you to any Aves you're interested in speaking to."

The Barkeep lists off a few group associated Aves around the tavern who I could ask questions, the list includes;
>An Ave associated with the cartogropher's guild and is also a storm chaser.
>A group of New World hunting aves.
>An ancient prospector and a historian sitting together.
>A soldier belonging to an ambiguous faction. (who is now currently in a confrontation with Hakrei)
>Various groups of headhunters, pirates, skyfarers and privateers.

There is also a bounty board I can go look at.
>>
No. 992573 ID: 8483cf

Visit the cartographers while singing songs about maps.
>>
No. 992574 ID: b1b4f3

>>992572
Talk to hunters, find out about monsters.
>>
No. 992578 ID: 894419

>>992574
This.

Knowledge about dangerous fauna your route could take you past is probably an important thing to acquire.
>>
No. 992581 ID: afe7de

I agree, talking to hunters and finding out about monsters and local fauna would definitely help you avoid any nasty scraps on your journey.
>>
No. 992605 ID: 19da02

definitely the cartographer
>>
No. 992925 ID: 9c4453
File 161659920369.png - (278.43KB , 800x600 , RTS02722032021.png )
992925

>I agree, talking to hunters and finding out about monsters and local fauna would definitely help you avoid any nasty scraps on your journey.
It probably makes the most sense to learn what I'm in for when I go into less tamed areas, so I ask the barkeep to direct me to the group of hunters.

They've located themselves into a part of the tavern farther away from the others. Hakrei and the soldier are nearby but I think I'll avoid them.
An orange ave seems to be in conversation with a grey one.
>>
No. 992926 ID: 9c4453
File 161659923263.png - (262.97KB , 800x600 , RTS02822032021.png )
992926

>"I said it before and I'll say it again, what you're claiming is impossible."
"What's impossible about it?! It's neck was huge!"
>"Regardless, I don't know why you would bring chain shots on a hunting trip to begin with"
"Because regular cannon balls are boring! and so are you!"
>"I still don't believe you did it, then again, only something stupid and pointless like that could be done by you."
"That's the spirit! Now let me tell you about the time I shot a raintree dropper with my ramrod--"
>"So that's where it went. I also doubt that happened either."
"Lighten up Pieken, You need to treat hunting less like a job and enjoy yourself!"
>"Aves like you that treat New-World game hunting like sport are the ones giving us a bad name."
>>
No. 992927 ID: 9c4453
File 161659925472.png - (177.79KB , 800x600 , RTS02922032021.png )
992927

"What's that supposed to mean?! I think 'pith raiders' has a good ring to it!"
>"I think it's barely respectable."
"As if you wanted respect! if you wanted respect, you'd get a more respectable helmet!"
>"What's wrong with my helmet?"
"It makes you look even more like a dork!"
>"Elaborate."
>>
No. 992928 ID: 9c4453
File 161659926794.png - (177.87KB , 800x600 , RTS03022032021.png )
992928

"Well for starters, it has that big stupid spike!"
>"It's not stupid. It's has a purpose"
"Oh? And what would that be? Do you use it to impale jungle cats?"
>"It's for intimidation"
"'Intimida--'... AHAHAHAHAH, OH, YOU DON'T REALLY THINK THAT DO YOU??"
>"It's true."
"AHAHAHAHAH"
>>
No. 992933 ID: 9c4453
File 161659945150.png - (155.64KB , 800x600 , RTS03122032021.png )
992933

>"Listen Trasks, my helmet is both utilitarian and attractive, you're probably upset you couldn't think of it first
"MAYBE I'LL ASK THAT CHIMERA IF IT'S INTIMIDATED-- AHAHAH"
"I would really prefer if you two would be quieter, before you both give me a second headache."

I guess now's a good time to think of questions to ask that relate to the New World and its fauna.
>>
No. 992934 ID: 19da02

Immediately ingratiate yourself to Trasks by saying you don't find helmet spikes particularly intimidating. Typically, getting your head close to the dangerous part of an animal is a bad idea!

That being said, you're traveling to the New World and want to have some idea what to expect when you get there if they'd be so kind as to indulge you. Maybe offer to buy a round if you can afford it?
>>
No. 992935 ID: 6093e4

>>992933
Sit across from redhat, ask them what to expect regarding monsters on the routes between populated areas, and what warning signs might alert you to monster in an area (tracks, droppings, etc.). Also compliment his hat
>>
No. 992937 ID: 8a51ec

This 'Trasks' person certainly seems like she'd be willing to accompany you through the New World for the hell of it. A dumbass, but a useful dumbass.
Though with an attitude like that, you probably want save asking her to do something that involves a lot of idle chatting and being alone with you for last. Anyway, you should ask about any fauna you want to avoid and how to do so.
>>
No. 992939 ID: 86aaf2

Compliment all of their hats and helmets and say that all three styles on display are quite daring and dashing! But you don't really have the cultural context to be intimidated by any lf them. Maybe you're missing military history reference somewhere?
>>
No. 992944 ID: ce39da

You don't know about hunting, but you do know trivia about the civilized world:
"To be fair, the spike was made with utility in mind, and he's not technically incorrect about it being for intimidation; it's actually a hook with which you're supposed to attach a military plume so that you look taller. And while that does look ridiculous up close, it can be quite intimidating from across a large battlefield, which... admittedly, hunting is probably quite different from. I'm not sure if it would work on a wild beast. But then, you're the experts, which is why I came over. Do you have any advice for traveling through the wilds?"
>>
No. 992948 ID: c09f5e

Redhat looks like the quietest of the bunch, thus the most experienced/useful, but also hardest to impress. Start by not calling him Redhat (sweet nickname though), and get their names.

You're not the one to come in to hunt for monsters, so ask for tips on how to avoid or deter them. Things like signs to look out for, wards or weapons you can carry, antidotes or first aid to administer after trouble, etc.
>>
No. 993044 ID: 4a9893
File 161666107346.png - (205.49KB , 800x600 , RTS03225032021.png )
993044

>You don't know about hunting, but you do know trivia about the civilized world.
Although that's true, all I know about the uniforms and attire of the New World Is that clothing needs to be specialised for the enviroment, which in some cases is to protect against humidity. I do know that those helmets are called pith helmets, and that they are made of a sponge-like material called pith.
>Redhat looks like the quietest of the bunch, thus the most experienced/useful, but also hardest to impress. Start by not calling him Redhat (sweet nickname though), and get their names.
I will consider this and I will be sure to try get their names

I approach the group and try to get acquainted.
"Hello there, you guys are New World hunters, right? My name is Pascoe, and I'm getting ready to head to the New World for the first time, so I had a few questions some of you might be able to answer for someone new like myself?"
>"I could answer a few ques--"
"Hey, chimera! take a seat! there's a spot next to me, I'll answer any questions ya like!
My name's Trasks, the stony face guy with the funny hat across from me is my good pal Pieken, and the sleepy head in the corner there is Reeds!

>"Hail fellow well met."
"Please do try to keep it down."

>Compliment all of their hats and helmets and say that all three styles on display are quite daring and dashing! But you don't really have the cultural context to be intimidated by any lf them. Maybe you're missing military history reference somewhere?
"For the record, I think you all present yourselves in a stylish fashion, though I wouldn't say any of you intimidate me that much, but it's nice you put in the effort nonetheless"
>"Better to be envied than pitied. Hunters should take pride in their appearence."
"My outfit isn't complete yet! I just need a few more teeth to complete my crown!"
Pieken's eyes roll.

>Immediately ingratiate yourself to Trasks by saying you don't find helmet spikes particularly intimidating. Typically, getting your head close to the dangerous part of an animal is a bad idea!
"I think the monster teeth sends the message that you're a threat better than a single spike can!
"That's what I'm saying! Why even stop at teeth? I aught to add antlers, claws, tusks, horns, what have you! You, my friend, have just inspired a future work of art!
>"I think it's sickening."
"Everyone's a critic!"

>you should ask about any fauna you want to avoid and how to do so.
"You all know a lot about the creatures of the New World, right? could you tell what to watch out for?
>"The New World is a big place. You'll need to be more specific."
"What can you tell me about the creatures that inhabit the pinnacles?
"My favourites!"
>"Yes, well, the wildlife that inhabit the pinnacles are very interesting, being that much of the life is isolated to each island, some can be big, some can be small, sometimes animals are the least of your worries. But for the most part, the creatures that inhabit the New World that you need to watch out for are mammals."
"I bet Pascoe here has never even seen a mammal before!"
>"I think you're an idiot, Trasks."
"And I think your face is an idiot!"
*sigh*

>"Anyway, mammals generally dominate any of their given environments, and most are many times larger than the average sized ave. To take one down we usually orginize large hunting parties, depending on what we're looking for. It's usually a good idea to come in with a plan. Some can be very intelligent, too."
"Should I avoid all mammals?"
>"Not always, some have been domesticated or tamed and used for hunting."
>"Also of note are some monsters that appear one of a kind, some myths and others legends while some are very real, but those are the sorts of things Reeds here deals with."

>That being said, you're traveling to the New World and want to have some idea what to expect when you get there if they'd be so kind as to indulge you.
>Do you have any advice for traveling through the wilds?
"What's it like navigating the wild territories of the new world, what would I need to come prepared?"
>"One thing you'll definately need is a knife."
"I can't use a weapon though, my code prevents me from doing so."
>"Don't worry, you won't be needing it for that, You'll need it for cutting your way through all the plants. many paths and roads connecting colonies and isolated properties often get overgrown. I suggest you get a machete if you wish to come prepared."
"You should get a kukri!"
>"That would do a better job at cutting plants and such, but those are generally more expensive and are more unwieldy. Get one if you can afford it."

>This 'Trasks' person certainly seems like she'd be willing to accompany you through the New World for the hell of it.
I can't tell if it's a she or a he, but that's because I'm not an ave. aves have the same issue with chimeras. I don't know if Trasks would want to sit around while I'd deliver stuff, but I think there's a good chance I'll run into these hunters again sooner or later.

>You're not the one to come in to hunt for monsters, so ask for tips on how to avoid or deter them. Things like signs to look out for, wards or weapons you can carry, antidotes or first aid to administer after trouble, etc.
"How can I best avoid encounters with wildlife?"
>"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's kind of the opposite of what we do..."
"What about antidotes and medical supplies?"
>"That all varies from pinnacle to pinnacle."
>>
No. 993046 ID: b1b4f3

>>993044
Oh, speaking of plants, are there any plants you need to look out for? Ones that are poisonous to touch, or ones that will grab you?
And any advice on the factions would be appreciated.
>>
No. 993055 ID: 9aa12d

Generally speaking you need knowledge on the land, what to commonly look out for, how the terrain is, how hot or cold it can get, stuff of that nature.
>>
No. 993065 ID: 19da02

Also if there's anything that's particularly poisonous/venomous.

And hey, if there's something they think you could fight and win, because some increase in battle prowess would be useful in your current circumstances.

And hey! If they've met any other chimeras? Preferably ones that like fighting?
>>
No. 993074 ID: 9a2966

>"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's kind of the opposite of what we do..."
Logically they could tell you what they DO do to -attract- beasts, so you at least know to avoid doing that. At least for anything that's easy to do accidentally - you don't need their trade secrets or anything.
>>
No. 993183 ID: 4a9893
File 161676283936.png - (316.05KB , 800x600 , RTS03326032021.png )
993183

>Oh, speaking of plants, are there any plants you need to look out for? Ones that are poisonous to touch, or ones that will grab you?
"Lets talk about the plants. any I should look out for? any that are poisonous to touch or eat?"
>"Oh there are plants like that and more. There are some islands where plants are the biggest threat, depending on the season. Some are poisonous of course, but those aren't always the real danger. Some plants aren't intentionally harmful, take trapdoor ivy for example, it grows over holes in the natural terrain which sometimes causes explorers to fall in. Then there's carnivorous plants, ones that try to lure you in with a scent or bait of some kind. I have even heard stories of a plant that will try to lure wildlife by imitating the sound of a wounded animal."
"Don't forget about the plants that shoot you!"
>"Ah yes, scatterweeds. The way that plant spreads its seeds is to explode into the direction of a tripped vine and the idea is to lodge itself into an animal which will transport it long distances. Fortunately it is rarely lethal and only explodes in the dry season."
>>
No. 993184 ID: 4a9893
File 161676286940.png - (338.81KB , 800x600 , RTS03426032021.png )
993184

And hey! If they've met any other chimeras? Preferably ones that like fighting?
"Have any of you ever met any chimeras like me before? Any of them good at fighting?"
"I've met plenty of pseudo-whatevers, I even see a few in some hunting parties! I don't know about any fighters though. I've seen a few gryphs like you, but they're usually a lot more stripy and spotty. One guy I see a lot is a pseudojack, Best hunting partner I ever had! lets see... I also see a pseudowend too from time to time, great tracker, I love it when you chimeras do that thing when you get on all your legs!"
>"What about Mills? Isn't he a Chimera?"
"nahhh, he wasn't born like that, remember?"
>"I suppose."
>>
No. 993186 ID: 4a9893
File 161676298465.png - (330.53KB , 800x600 , RTS03526032021.png )
993186

>Generally speaking you need knowledge on the land, what to commonly look out for, how the terrain is, how hot or cold it can get, stuff of that nature.
"What are the lands like? climate, terrain, stuff of that nature."
>"The New World isn't temperate like the old world, there are only two seasons to keep track of usually, wet and dry, but some areas have different rules. In other words it'll be hot and wet most the time. as for the terrain of the pinnacles, the islands are usually very vertical, and since most ports are built in the basons at the bottom, people making their way across the wilds need to make their way uphill much of the time.
"So the climate is mostly hot?"
>"Correct, save for the occassional weather anomaly."

That answers most of the questions I had about the New World. It sounds dangerous but it should be alright, seeing as I'm a generally cautious person, perhaps to the point of paranoia. I'm quick on my feet so I'm not too worried about being chased. I can do this.

I'll soon exchange parting worlds with these hunters and get on with starting this journey, but before I do, should I ask anything else, or any questions directed to any of the hunters in particular?
>>
No. 993200 ID: ce39da

A parting question to both them and the barkeep if you aren't satisfied with their answer: "Last question, but not a hunting one; are the maps the Outpost could provide up-to-date enough, or would I be better off with another source?"
>>
No. 993207 ID: 894419

>>993186
Ask 'em why red-hat is so mysterious and silent, is he always like that?

Also ask if you wanted to hire on them for a trip someday, what the going rates are.
>>
No. 993209 ID: b1b4f3

I'm satisfied. We can move on.
>>
No. 993361 ID: 4a9893
File 161686837349.png - (253.71KB , 800x600 , RTS03627032021.png )
993361

"are the maps the Outpost could provide up-to-date enough, or would I be better off with another source?"
>"The Pinnacles have always been difficult to map out, but even old maps are better than none. All maps that are sold are usually up to date unless stated otherwise.
"Yeah those cartogropher nerds come together a few times a year and share their personal maps with eachother to create a super map which gets mass printed and passed around, they get sold everywhere for real cheap."
>ask if you wanted to hire on them for a trip someday, what the going rates are.
"What's it like going hunting? I might try it out myself some day"
>"It's a profitable venture, it certainly pays for itself, especially if you can capture the game and bring it back alive. Nobles, private collectors and the colosseum will pay through the roof for fierce or rare game."
"It's fun, too!"
>"If that's how you want to look at it."


>Ask 'em why red-hat is so mysterious and silent, is he always like that?
I've been wondering that too. I got the impression he could just the quiet type, But I feel it's worth asking.
"Is Reeds always this quiet?
"Say something, Reeds!"[/orange]
[color=red]"I will, but not because you told me to.


I look back to see Reeds smoking a clay pipe. I don't know when he started smoking it as I didn't see him take it out. Interestingly, I didn't even hear him use a fire striker.

"Watch your back, chimera.
People will be watching it.
Watch them too."

>>
No. 993362 ID: 4a9893
File 161686840717.png - (162.21KB , 800x600 , RTS03727032021.png )
993362

He turns his head and I get a look at his other eye, or what appears to be some kind of scar going over it.
"And a word of personal advice; don't go looking for things that don't exist."

I'm not even gonna ask.

Anyway, I've messed around enough, it's about time I got to work! I bid my farewells to the small group of hunters.

>"See you around pseudogryph."
"Until next time!"
"Farewell."
>>
No. 993366 ID: b1b4f3

>>993362
To the post office.
>>
No. 993369 ID: ce39da

Yeah, it's time to head to the outpost to get a map along with our mail and plot a route. We can shop on the way back to the dock.
>>
No. 993396 ID: 12b116

let's get to work! Post office.
>>
No. 993478 ID: afe7de

Go to the Post Zone, get ready for works!
>>
No. 993488 ID: 894419

I'm here to talk to hunters and deliver mail, and I'm all out of hunters to talk to. TO THE POST OFFICE!
>>
No. 993657 ID: 4a9893
File 161701716396.png - (279.12KB , 800x600 , RTS03829032021.png )
993657

As I begin to make my way down I take the time to obsorb all the information I've taken in, and so far, I've just been told how dangerous it'll be. Though in all fairness I was told in advance, albeit in much less detail, how everything would be really dangerous. I still wanted to do this anyway. I wanted to do this because... uh... I still don't really know why. I could say I wanted the promotion but I never really had to worry about money. There was just something about the New World job that enticed me. Maybe I just got sick of doing deliveries in the same town for 4 years. I should ask my coworkers why they do it.

Anyways, I'm not completely clueless on the New World, I know about the colonies, the countries that influence them, and I know about all the other courier services we compete with.

Back home in Tenprence, or I guess as everyone here calls it, 'The old world', things were much more simple. We don't have mammals as the hunter mentioned (besides half-mammals like myself), and we don't have bizarre weather like the barkeep told me. Aves and chimeras are at the top, but in the New World we seem to be at the bottom. At least we stand a better chance than we used to.

I also can't help but feel I'm forgetting something... was I supposed to bring something?

I have a few more things I could think about before I arrive at the outpost.
>>
No. 993678 ID: e7c7d3

Check pockets to make sure you got everything
>>
No. 993683 ID: a3ec44

Forget your pictures of loved ones?
>>
No. 993694 ID: ce39da

I really hope it isn't some official papers or a badge you need to flash at the outpost or anything. (Or if it is, that you haven't lost them.)
>>
No. 993697 ID: b1b4f3

Pilot told you to pick up a few things. Can you do that after the post office?
>>
No. 993855 ID: 4a9893
File 161714095836.png - (414.88KB , 800x600 , RTS03930032021.png )
993855

>Check pockets to make sure you got everything
My raincoat doesn't have pockets, so at least I'm not forgetting anything in those.
>Forget your pictures of loved ones?
Loved ones? I guess I can't really say I got loved ones to have pictures be made of. I never met my real parents, and to this day have never seen another chimera before. I was raised by an ave family but for the most part I'm on my own.
>I really hope it isn't some official papers or a badge you need to flash at the outpost or anything. (Or if it is, that you haven't lost them.)
I took the papers before I last I checked, the emblem for my company is still on my hat.
>Pilot told you to pick up a few things. Can you do that after the post office?
Definitely taking care of that after this business is taken care of.

After a while of walking, I notice the terrain begins to go uphill and I can see the post office. From the outside it looks like the one I work at, but this one seems much bigger and a bit more... drab? It was constructed away from the other buildings and higher up which isn't out of the usual for a post office. The road seems to disappear and trees start to take over.
>>
No. 993856 ID: 4a9893
File 161714098801.png - (366.48KB , 800x600 , RTS04030032021.png )
993856

As I make my way through the trees I notice a hard to miss sign nailed to a tree. It's reads: 'THIEVES WILL BE' with the rest of it painted over with noticably smaller and neater handwriting written underneath that reads 'Please don't steal anything. -P'. I can only assume this was put up by someone working here. I suppose that means thieves are somewhat of a problem? I certainly hadn't planned on stealing...
>>
No. 993857 ID: 4a9893
File 161714100090.png - (329.64KB , 800x600 , RTS04131032021.png )
993857

I walk up a ramp and approach the entrance, the way in appears wide open which I think means they are open? They should be. It looks... really dark in here?
I guess I should wait for my eyes to adjust to the darkness or look for a candle or lantern in the mean time. I wonder what's going on here.
>>
No. 993859 ID: 894419

>>993857
No lights? Call out and see if anyone is up ahead.
>>
No. 993875 ID: b1b4f3

Hello?
>>
No. 994019 ID: e9b402

>>993859
This. Yell out "is anyone here? Im not a thief."
>>
No. 994358 ID: 6966b0
File 161733202701.png - (145.80KB , 800x600 , RTS04202042021.png )
994358

It doesn't look like I have much of a choice in the matter and decide to proceed ahead. My guess for why it's so dark in here is because all of the windows are shut or maybe boarded up, Not likely the latter because this place should be active at nearly all times.

Calling out into the corridoor gives me no reply, also of note is that my voice doesn't travel very far because the acoustics are being affected by all the lockers lining the walls.

Adjusting to the darkness is something that comes easy to me being part feline, I just wish my dilated pupils didn't make me look like such an idiot.
>>
No. 994359 ID: 6966b0
File 161733204273.png - (218.88KB , 800x600 , RTS04302042021.png )
994359

As I look for someone to talk to, I hear a click...

--BANG--

A scatter of small projectiles misses in front of me not so narrowly. I've never been shot at before and I'm not sure what should be my first reaction!
>>
No. 994360 ID: b1b4f3

>>994359
Running away seems wise.
>>
No. 994361 ID: 12b116

hit the dirt and try to scurry for cover!
>>
No. 994365 ID: 86aaf2

No, *running* is not appropriate.

Getting low down and diving for cover (note: things used to represent cover in popular culture aren't always massive/thick/dense enough, look for something big and thick to put between you and the person shooting at you).

Then keep your head and limbs and body close to the ground and behind said cover and scream that you surrender. You are, after all, unarmed and at their mercy anyway, and they have shown willingness and intent to use lethal force.
>>
No. 994366 ID: 894419

Hit the deck!

"Oh god! Don't kill me! I'm sorry!"
>>
No. 994390 ID: 2aa5f0

drop and get behind cover. If there is no cover try and knock down some of the lockers for cover and pray they're not attached to the wall.
>>
No. 994406 ID: 864e49

Drop to all fours, scream, loss hat, get the fuck out of there, find guards.
>>
No. 994409 ID: c1d72d

The most rational action would be to no make sudden moves, hands up and demand "Ceasefire! I am disarmed and mean no harm!".

Though the most usual action is to duck for cover and run with a loud "AAAAAAAHHHH!".

Maybe a combination? Ducking for cover and try to reason?
>>
No. 994411 ID: 094652

"I SURRENDER!"
>>
No. 994473 ID: 2748b3

I would hit the deck, fast. Also yell that you're with the postal union.
>>
No. 994702 ID: d5825c

humm seems like a pressure plate trap.
>>
No. 994763 ID: c6266d
File 161752151898.png - (148.31KB , 800x600 , RTS04404042021.png )
994763

I decide the best course of action is to leap to the nearest cover, which is as far as I can see in the darkness, a stack of large wooden boxes. I get close to all fours and lunge forward taking especially careful measure not to lose my hat. I only scream a little bit.
>>
No. 994764 ID: c6266d
File 161752153679.png - (153.25KB , 800x600 , RTS04504042021.png )
994764

I duck down keeping myself as close to the ground as I can and try to fit as much of myself as I can behind cover.

The next logical step would be trying to reason with whoever fired the shot.

"I SURRENDER! I'M NOT A THIEF, I'M WITH THE POSTAL ALLIANCE!" After a while, silence fills the room for a brief moment, before I hear a voice speak up.
>"I considered that a possibility. But the chances that you were a thief or a specific chimera I wanted to shoot outweighed the possibility. You'll have to excuse me, I don't meet many chimera postal workers."
"So... you're not gonna shoot me?"
>>
No. 994765 ID: c6266d
File 161752155330.png - (166.05KB , 800x600 , RTS04602042021.png )
994765

>"Nah, suppose I have no reason to now. You and I are both busy people, you got mail and packages to deliver, and I'm busy staring at nothingness all day, so how about we try not to waste eachother's time. We got a couple minutes give or take for the postmaster to get here to chew me out for firing this thing, so you ask whatever you like."
>>
No. 994766 ID: 0fae41

Are you blind? You could have taken my head clean off!
>>
No. 994767 ID: f94934

>>994765
You're a postman! You're not even supposed to have a gun!
>>
No. 994768 ID: 3ed3c3

>>994765
You crazy, blind bastard! What if you'd hit me?! Where the Hell did you even get that thing?!
>>
No. 994773 ID: 2aa5f0

where did you even get that gun? I thought people working for the post were discouraged on carrying weapons.

Also do I have to worry about anyone else trying to shoot me? You make it sound like the postal office around here has enemies... for some reason.
>>
No. 994779 ID: cdabe3

Oh geez, the gun still has a shot loaded in the second chamber
>>
No. 994782 ID: c1d72d

You se apparently there is a thief problem. Is someone stealing the mail?
>>
No. 994785 ID: ce39da

Too late; we're chewing them out right now.

"You know we're not even supposed to use weapons to hurt people like that, right? What if you'd killed a fellow employee of all people? And you call yourself a postman!"

If he retorts with some nonsense about doing what it takes to survive out here: "Look here; I joined this company because I believe in its principles. If you don't - if you aren't even willing to use the rules' loopholes instead - then why are you still with the company?"
>>
No. 994796 ID: b1b4f3

>>994765
What do the crosses over their eyes mean?
>>
No. 994848 ID: d5825c

i would not complane about him haveing a gun, i would ask if he can even see the postal lables. And why is it so dark in here?
>>
No. 995018 ID: c6266d
File 161770184350.png - (111.30KB , 800x600 , RTS04705042021.png )
995018

"Are you blind? You could have taken my head clean off!"
>"I am blind. What gave it away?"

"You know we're not even supposed to use weapons to hurt people like that, right? What if you'd killed a fellow employee of all people"
>"Oh don't be so dramatic, that couldn't kill anyone, even if I had aimed it directly at them. That was a warning shot, minimum measurement of gunpowder with small pellets. I fire it towards what I assume are would-be thieves to chase them off. I'd be impressed with myself If I actually managed to hit anybody with it. Keep in mind it doesn't actually have the power to seriously injure you, would've peppered you up real good though.

>apparently there is a thief problem. Is someone stealing the mail?
"Is there some kind of problem with thieves for you to have to do that?
>"Oh yeah. Though I must say, acting unhinged and firing at noises really makes thieves reconsider targeting this place."

"where did you even get that gun? I thought people working for the post were discouraged on carrying weapons."
>"It isn't company property if that's what you were wondering. I got this from one of the salvage yards for a bargain. it's pretty rusted but it works for what I'm using it for. We're not discouraged from using guns or knifes or anything, only from using them as weapons if that makes sense. You and I can still use guns as bluffs or knifes for cutting things, even if it's frowned upon, we're just not supposed to harm others with them."

>Oh geez, the gun still has a shot loaded in the second chamber
"I see there are two barrels on that gun, is it still loaded?"
>"Correct. There's a more lethal round in the other chamber for the persistant ones."

>why is it so dark in here?
"Can you tell me why it's so dark in here?"
>"Is it? I guess you could say I had a hard time noticing. Wasn't my responsibility to open the windows."

>What do the crosses over their eyes mean?
"What's with the crosses over your eyes?"
>"It's a little rude to ask about someone's desensing scars you know."
"Isn't it also a little rude to fire guns at people?"
>"Eh, touché I guess. I got these when I was still doing delivery runs in the pinnacles. I had an encounter with the local mythical horror found on Hocking caye. A word of advice? If the locals tell you to wear a blindfold or put wax in your ears, you should listen."

I start to hear cursing and stumbled walking approaching us from one of the hallways.
>"Ah, right on time! this should only take a moment. When he's done, he should sort you out. By the way, if you're here to collect, I think you forgot something."

What? What did I...
>>
No. 995056 ID: b1b4f3

You have your bag. Do you need a bigger one to carry mail?
>>
No. 995079 ID: 9aa12d

De-sensing scars? That one hunter had them, is someone or something deliberately removing eyes?
>>
No. 995086 ID: ce39da

> Desensing scar.
> Literally blind.
We're forgetting something he can detect without using his eyes? ... Quick, try to recall if there's a verbal password or greeting protocol you were briefed on! It makes sense that it'd slip your mind if it isn't needed for the more "normal" routes you're used to.

If that doesn't pan out... does the fact that his hat has a different emblem and trimming mean anything to you?
>>
No. 995137 ID: e16acb

>>995018
You've got your cap, your bag, uh... I don't know what else you could need to pick up and deliver mail. Address book? Map? Journal? Sick Double Barreled Indiscriminate Murder Gun? Boots? Gloves?
>>
No. 995139 ID: 8483cf

The kind of buckshot doesn't matter if you shot someone in the eye! They could end up blind or...

You know what never mind
>>
No. 995587 ID: 15a025

Very curious now about what you're missing here? Ask and see if they'll tell?
>>
No. 995678 ID: ad2fd0

Is it our pants we're missing?
>>
No. 995733 ID: d5825c

>>995678
DAMM talk about an elephant in the room.
>>
No. 995860 ID: 86aaf2

>>995733

No, pants seem to be relatively rare. I mean, I'm sure there's some folk who wear them all the time, but it's definitely not the norm here!
>>
No. 996311 ID: 5c42b8
File 161848725210.png - (331.29KB , 800x600 , RTS04808042021.png )
996311

>does the fact that his hat has a different emblem and trimming mean anything to you?
His uniform is different from mine, simply because we are independent of each other. I suppose his emblem is representative of the Maritime Postal Union, whereas mine and my co-workers represents our own company.

>try to recall if there is a verbal password or greeting protocol you were briefed on.
Nothing that I was told about, but it seems worth a shot to ask about it.

>Is it our pants we're missing?
Like most clothing items, they exist to protect from the elements but aren’t necessary, Especially with the hot and humid weather ahead. As a matter a fact, pants are more of a luxury item and a sign of wealth and status, usually worn by nobles, royalty, lavishly rich aves, that sort of thing. I'm not likely to see pants in this kind of place, especially not for postal workers.

"Was there some sort of password that I'm forgetting about?"
>"Nope."

>De-sensing scars? That one hunter had them, is someone or something deliberately removing eyes?
"What's are desensing scars? where do they come from?"
>"You lose whichever sense you use to perceive or in some cases, interact with a thing found by accident. I say thing because giving it a name is hard to do when shortly after doing so, you quickly forget it. If you look at it, it blinds you. If you hear it, it deafens you. And if you're foolish enough to try talking to it, it'll mute you. Some call it a myth, but I saw it with my own eyes, was the last thing I saw as a matter a fact."

>Ask and see if they'll tell?
"Ok, I'll bite. What did I forget?"
>"Why don't you let him tell you."

The steps from the hallway get closer and a feint light approaches until a figure emerges from the darkness
>>
No. 996312 ID: 5c42b8
File 161848728971.png - (299.08KB , 800x600 , RTS04908042021.png )
996312

A comparatively tall ave dressed in a more decorated uniform stands beside a doorway. While not as large as the duellist from the tavern, who was around the 6ft range, this ave seems somewhere in between that and the height of myself and the blind ave, who are around the 3ft average. I think it is safe to assume that this ave is the postmaster.

"Looks like we have some company. I'll be with you soon chimera, this'll only take a moment."

He moves over to the counter to confront the blind ave.
>>
No. 996313 ID: 5c42b8
File 161848731799.png - (229.69KB , 800x600 , RTS05008042021.png )
996313

"You have some explaining to do."
>"Ask away."
"First of all, would you mind explaining why it's pitch black in here?"
>"Ah, you can see that too? thought it was just me."
"Let me rephrase that. Why are all the windows shut?"
>"I don't know. That is not my responsibility on account of my difficulty being able to see literally anything. Is it daytime? if so, good for you. Makes no difference to me though. Wasn't someone else supposed to handle that?"
"I'll need to investigate this later, but now for my other question; did you fire a weapon in the post office"
>"Yep."
" WHY"
>"To stop thieves. The sign I put up outside isn't as effective as I thought. Which is a shame, it took me like an hour to write that thing. All that passion, gone to waste..."
"The amount of passion you put into your threats, is quite frankly, untactful. But I digress. Did you shoot the postal worker that was walking in?."
>"Nope. I missed him. I think it's a him? Whatever, I missed him, so I broke no rules."
"When are you going to take this seriously? Do you know how many strings your friend had to pull to make me hire a blind ave?"
>"We're understaffed as it is. And knowing how to read, I'm already overqualified for this position."
"We're going to have a talk about this later. for now, I'm going to sort the chimera out."
>>
No. 996314 ID: 5c42b8
File 161848733556.png - (244.25KB , 800x600 , RTS05115042021.png )
996314

The postmaster steps away from the counter and focuses attention over to me.

"This your first time?"
"Yes, uh, sir?"
"Gender blindness? that's ok, you got it right."
"Ok, yes sir, this is my first time."
"These New World delivery runs are different from anything you've seen in the old world, that's for sure."
"So I've heard."
"You should be delivering somewhere over a hundred parcels, and around a thousand envelopes on any given route, correct?"
"Uhhhhhh... Yes?"
"Know how you're going to get that all back onto your ship?"

Ohhhhhhhh
Right. the cart. I forgot the cart. The cart for the mail. The cart to bring all the mail back to the boat. Looks like maybe I'll be seeing my co-workers again sooner than I thought.
>>
No. 996316 ID: 19da02

Well, um, go get the cart I guess!
>>
No. 996319 ID: 2aa5f0

with the cart?
>>
No. 996325 ID: 9a2966

Could also stay here, ask a few questions, look around and THEN go to fetch the cart.

Or are you in a hurry today?
>>
No. 996326 ID: ce39da

> Marathon postal run; therefore, tons of mail.
> Blind ave would have heard a cart.
Honestly, I should have seen this coming.

"A-ah, yes, it seems to have slipped my mind. I'm used to only needing my bag. I guess I'd better go get that, then!"
>>
No. 996350 ID: eb1fcc

go get the cart, but no excuses for it. "I'll fetch it immediately, sir."
>>
No. 996461 ID: 5c42b8
File 161856366589.png - (188.60KB , 800x600 , RTS05216042021.png )
996461

>are you in a hurry today?
I can take my time, seeing as there is not a proper schedule until we get the routing done.

"I suppose I forgot to bring a cart?"
"It'd seem that way. Usually, we would lend one out, but those who come back have a bad habit of not returning them. Do you have one on your ship?"
"Of course!"
"Right, well you have the option to go get it and come back, there really is no rush. might be best if you do so I can open the windows and prepare the documents in the meantime. Where is your crew, by the way? Isn't there supposed to be three of you?"
"The others decided to stay on the ship after I offered to do the pick up."
"I see."

>Could also stay here, ask a few questions, look around and THEN go to fetch the cart.
"Do you think I could stick around for a bit and ask a few questions?"
"You can do that if you like, we aren't exactly busy at the moment because of the bad weather holding everything up. Of course, We will still be here when you come back, so the choice is yours."

Should I focus on making my way back to port? Or should I ask a few questions before I go, and if so, what? Or should I save questions for after I come back?
>>
No. 996463 ID: 12b116

Seems more reasonable to go to port and get the cart and then talk to these folks after you get back.
>>
No. 996473 ID: 9aa12d

Save the questions, it’s cart time.
>>
No. 996517 ID: ce39da

"Er, got any recommendations for provisions, just in general? I was thinking of doing my shopping on the way."

Plan to get the stuff you need to the ship when you pick up the cart so whatever adjustments Pilot needs to make are done by the time you've finished briefing.
>>
No. 996520 ID: 9a2966

>>996517
That's not a bad idea, actually.
>>
No. 996584 ID: d5825c

perhaps we should mention, Hakrei.
>>
No. 996784 ID: d09be1

Sooner we get the cart, the better. Hold off on questions for now, we got responsibilities to prioritize
>>
No. 997636 ID: 15a025

I guess we should go get the cart.
>>
No. 997706 ID: ad7e84
File 161938383342.png - (336.46KB , 800x600 , RTS05324042021.png )
997706

I decide that the sooner I go and come back, the better. Since I'll see Pilot before I picked up his items, I can get him to refresh my memory on what he wanted. I'm not opposed to asking a few quick questions as I go.

"got any recommendations for provisions, just in general?"
"A good word of advice; get goods on the ridge and get all of your services while you're in a colony. Hiring a guard or guide is something we encourage when necessary, some locations discount or outright provide those services sometimes. As for goods, you should already have most brought with you, but just in case, buying your own knife for cutting plants is something I always hear is useful. most things are common sense, like a water canteen, medical supplies, money, et cetera. Don't pack too heavily though, or you'll wear yourself out quicker."
"One more thing, I encountered someone earlier on the ridge who tried fighting me, aren't people like that something you should watch out for?."
"There is a reason why this outpost is build farther away from all the 'towns'. Steering clear of the rabble has always been a priority of sorts."

With that I move on my way, taking the same route I used to get here excluding the detour I took to get to the tavern. Now very close to the docks, I notice groups of aves with muskets making their way to the opposite direction, and I have not a clue in the world where they are going, and none seem to be wearing uniforms that I can make out.
>>
No. 997707 ID: ad7e84
File 161938385506.png - (453.19KB , 800x600 , RTS05417042021.png )
997707

Satisfied with the lack of distractions this time, I arrive at the shipyard. there are a few boats here but I can tell this area is far from full capacity, so it shouldn't take long to find the... ship...thing... I know the type has a name, but I always forget! Not as big as a brigantine but bigger than a cog.

There are more aves with muskets here, but they aren't running like the ones from before, maybe they are waiting for something?

Just as I am about to head to the boat, I hear a voice calling out from behind me.
>>
No. 997708 ID: ad7e84
File 161938386745.png - (247.95KB , 800x600 , RTS05517042021.png )
997708

>"Hello there!"

Oh god, not one of these guys. I hope that wasn't directed at me.

>"You're a chimera, right? You're the first one I've met!"

Ugh. It was directed at me. I try my best to avoid eye contact, but I doubt that'll ever deter people like this, knowing them to be the persistent type. By the way this ave engages in unreciprocated conversation with everyone in their path, I doubt I'm the first chimera this person has met. We're uncommon but not rare. This ave must have come from a small town like me to have never seen one before.
>>
No. 997709 ID: ad7e84
File 161938388143.png - (265.47KB , 800x600 , RTS05617042021.png )
997709

I have avoided talking but I decide the only way to get out of this quickly is to engage so I can immediately disengage. "Can this wait? I'm in a bit of a hurry."
>"Are you going to the New World? I'm going there myself!"

One ear and right out the other. So tone deaf and naive it makes me sick.

>"My name is Vanil, and I'm an adventurer! What's your name?"
"Pascoe. Leave me alone. I have work to do."
>"Nice to meet you, Pascoe!"
This guy.

He reaches out his hand expecting a handshake, one which I don't feel so inclined to oblige.
I have never been an intolerant person, living all my life as a chimera, I have met my fair share of those who look down upon me or act weary around me on that basis alone. But adventurers? , I have zero tolerance for. I have little but contempt for these types who think they can take on the world just because they dream hard enough or something like that. the overly friendly, bubbly personalities does nothing but make my beak itch. If I do not shake this guy off, he is probably going to follow me, and I don't want people thinking we're friends.
>>
No. 997710 ID: dd0ff9

We should start a museum for how jaded you are, Pascoe.

But if you really want to brush them off, I recommend the old reliable: "You sound like a friendly enough person, but you're making me uncomfortable. Please leave me alone."
>>
No. 997711 ID: b1b4f3

>>997706
I think a certain duelist assaulted someone important.
>>997707
Carrack? Pinnace? Galley?
...more aves with guns? Uh oh, hope it's not a raiding party.
>>997709
Tell him to go away. Repeatedly.
>>
No. 997715 ID: ce39da

Hey, if that optimism gets him into trouble, that's not your problem to deal with. Sure, you can turn him away, and sure, you can get more stern if he really can't take a hint, but there's no need to go straight from 0 to 100 and bite his head off just yet.

"Well, I'm not an adventurer, nor am I inclined to share any of the same interests as one such as you. Now, are you just here to gawk at me, or is there something you actually want?" That's a legit question right there.

... There are decent odds that he doesn't actually care much more about your chimera status than he would about any other noteworthy detail - he'd probably seize upon your profession if it weren't for that. He just wanted to talk hype with someone, anybody, and I wouldn't hold it against him. Honestly, it says something about you when you claim to be more offended by people who have a positive opinion of your species.

Long story short: You need to take a chill pill; he means no ill will.
>>
No. 997720 ID: 9a2966

Shake hands with one hand, boop the beak with the other.

"Shhh."

Tell him (not entirely unkindly) that if he wants to have a nice chat, with tea and crackers, he should catch you sometime you're not on the job. If he sees you in this uniform, you're on the job. If he hears you saying you're busy, you are most decidedly busy.

You wish him best of luck with whatever endeavors he's up to, but for now you must be off.
>>
No. 997726 ID: ad7e84
File 161939466279.png - (237.00KB , 800x600 , RTS05726042021.png )
997726

>You need to take a chill pill; he means no ill will.
I know he doesn't mean ill will, and it’s part of that innocence that irritates me. I can only deal with so many chipper sword-wielding adventurers asking the same stupid questions.

After a while he retracts his idle hand and runs it over his head feathers

"You sound like a friendly enough person, but -"
>"I'm happy to hear that! You're a nice guy, mind if I ask some questions?"
"Yes. I do."
>"Awesome! So, I cannot tell if you are a male or female?
"I can't tell if you're male or female either."
>"Really? woah! how does that work?"
"Did you already forget we're a different species?"
>"Next Question!"
"Go away."
>"Are those things coming out of your hat part of your hat, or are those your head feathers?"
"That is wool for insulating my hat. It's worn out and is starting to come out."
>"What kind of chimera are you?"
"I'm a pseudogryph. Specifically, a plains pseudogryph."
>"Can you run on all fours?"
"I can, but not while I'm in my raincoat."
>"Why are you wearing a raincoat?”
"Alright I've had enough. Are you just here to gawk at me, or is there something you actually want?"
>"Hmm... Now that you mention it, I do want a few things for my adventure! Know where I can find some equipment, or where I can find some followers for my journey?"

Seems I have a few choices here. I could either direct him to the shopping area and risk seeing him again, or I can direct him to the tavern in hopes that he will bump into the local brawl happy duellist. Or I can direct him to one of the other towns so I can have zero chance of having to see him again.
>>
No. 997727 ID: dd0ff9

You and I both agree that bright eyed adventurers are annoying, and the world beats that out of them pretty fast.

Most of them.

The ones that actually succeed against all odds are stupidly persistent and lucky.

Give the adventurer wildly incorrect directions, like to another town. If they bump into you again, that means they're preeeeety likely to succeed at their chosen profession.
>>
No. 997728 ID: ce39da

"Shops to the northwest, tavern to the east, and no, I'm not drawing a map for you. I am a postman, and therefore possess neither the familiarity nor the time to give you a tour."
>>
No. 997729 ID: 4560e1

Tell him to "go to the tavern and ask for Hakrei. She should be willing to be a follower on your journey"

Hes gotta learn quick what he will be up against as an adventurer
>>
No. 997730 ID: 86aaf2

Don't be a jerk to an innocent that might have something off in their brain, yea?
>>
No. 997731 ID: b1b4f3

>>997726
I think there is something wrong with this person.
Send them to the tavern, but not specifically to the duelist.
>>
No. 997743 ID: a38353

You know, we might not like them, but we are going somewhere dangerous, and an adventurer could be useful.
>>
No. 997747 ID: d5825c

for comedy sake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7keD8-oKY

I don't know if i can pose a question or awnser but
this aves has a "karma" witch is his set path, and so do you.
i'm trying to say there are Others, that dizerve your hate.
why would you want to cast away his good will? what do you think your showing the universe?
what if someone is watching, unfortunate consequences, gossipers?
>>
No. 997752 ID: f8fa51

You don't need to answer his questions, but you shouldn't lie to him and try to get him beat up.
>>
No. 997755 ID: 74c499

Ill feelings aside you should pass along the recommendation you received. When you decide to buy supplies, if you happen to find him there his condition will be a good indication of how a naive nonthreatening outsider like yourself is received there.
>>
No. 997762 ID: ad7e84
File 161941904932.png - (184.75KB , 800x600 , RTS05826042021.png )
997762

I consider my options, and ultimately decide I do not want to hurt this guy, at least, not without him knowing what he is getting himself into. Though knowing the type, I doubt it is possible to earn his ire even if I did trick him into a fight he could not win.

Although I think it hardly matters, I re-posture myself and change my demeanour to that of someone more helpful than I.

"You know, I might just know what you need! I went to the tavern earlier and met an individual that might be of interest to you.
>"Oh? What are they like?"
"A really good fighter, undefeated from what I heard."
>"You think this person would want to help me on my adventure?"
"I'll admit, she's the stubborn type, but I'm sure if you defeat her in a dual, you could earn her respect and who knows, she could be up for it."
>"I like the sound of that! Where's the tavern?"

Without pulling out my map, I tell him what turns he needs to take to get there, much to his visible excitement.

"Say, you said you needed equipment, right? I can point you to the shopping area, and although I haven't been myself, I'm happy to let you have the head start."
>"Woah, thanks a bunch!" he says, overjoyed.
>>
No. 997763 ID: ad7e84
File 161941906461.png - (306.84KB , 800x600 , RTS05926042021.png )
997763

He finally breaks eye contact with me and starts to march away, ready to accomplish a new mission, finally allowing me a chance to do my job.

"Be careful of the dualist, kid, she could probably pick you up and throw you." I say, hardly jokingly. Then again, he might actually have a chance. These guys are often full of surprises.
>"Here's hoping we meet again, Pascoe!"

Here's hoping not.

With that finally out the way, I can see our ship in sight, and I am nearly ready to call up to pilot and ask him any questions I might have for the voyage, he is a nice guy and knows it's my first time, so he won't judge me for making the mistake of forgetting the cart. I should also consider whether I should ditch the raincoat, I do not have much a reason for it since it is not raining anymore and it restricts my mobility.
>>
No. 997764 ID: 8483cf

>>997763
Ditch the coat first, prepare questions later.
>>
No. 997765 ID: a38353

We're so gonna run into him again.

I almost don't want to ditch the raincoat it looks really good, but if we need that mobility ditch it.
>>
No. 997773 ID: 454ad5

Don't ditch the raincoat. Makes easier to identify you as courier and looks fabulous in you.
>>
No. 997794 ID: ce39da

This was a good outcome. If he fails, he's out of your plume, and if he succeeds... Well, you're just someone who genuinely helped him - it might be good to be on his nice side after he gets the boundless optimism beat out of him.

Onward to our ship to get the stuff! Keep the raincoat; we look snazzy, and we're pushing a big-ass cart anyway. In other words, I doubt we'll need mobility for the rest of this landfall.
>>
No. 997804 ID: ad7e84
File 161946191219.png - (290.80KB , 800x600 , RTS06026042021.png )
997804

>I almost don't want to ditch the raincoat, it looks really good. but if we need the mobility ditch it.
>Don't ditch the raincoat. Makes easier to identify you as courier and looks fabulous in you.
I am pretty torn on whether or not I should keep it on, but I do want to at least take it off for a little while to stretch a bit.

I make my way to the side of the ship and call up.

"Hey Pilot! you up there?"

It takes me a while to remember that the ear covers he likes to wear might muffle his hearing a bit, but this thought is disregarded after I see him poke over to the side
>>
No. 997805 ID: ad7e84
File 161946192590.png - (336.24KB , 800x600 , RTS06126042021.png )
997805

>"Hey Pascoe! You forgot the cart!"
"Yeah Pilot, I did."
>"It's ok buddy, it's your first time! oh, and you don't have to keep calling me pilot, I have a name you know!"
"Haha, the nickname stuck I guess." I forgot his name completely and I'm embarrassed to ask at this point.
>"Anyway, your luck is terrible! Ecoa got tired of waiting for you to come back, so she took the cart and went looking for you a short while ago."
I guess I did get a bit side-tracked.
"I guess that means I have a few questions to ask."
>"Ask away! and don't rush, she probably hasn't gotten far. And when you do find her, you bet she is gonna make you pull the cart."
>>
No. 997835 ID: 454ad5

Wait, there was armed people rushing to the town. Shouldd't we have to search for Ecoa first to make sure she doesn't get trapped by whatever is going on?

Maybe Pilot knows something about it or if we should worry?

Note: Later you can discretly search in some official document of the ship for the names of tripulants.
>>
No. 997846 ID: b1b4f3

I vote remove the raincoat, if it annoys you.
Also you shouldn't dally. Catch up with Ecoa. Which way was she going though? Shouldn't you have passed her on the way?
>>
No. 997852 ID: d5825c

don't ditch the raincoat, in a pinch you can jump in a stream let it flow down stream, if you need to escape a fight.
>>
No. 997866 ID: ce39da

Don't forget to ask for a reminder on what exactly he needs you to buy.
>>
No. 997945 ID: ad7e84
File 161953178787.png - (233.24KB , 800x600 , RTS06227042021.png )
997945

>Maybe Pilot knows something about (armed people rushing to the town) or if we should worry?

"Is it just me or are there a lot more aves running around with muskets than before?"
>"Oh, I noticed that too! all of them arrived on a big ship around 10 minutes ago, there has to be at least a hundred of them?"
"Any clue on what they are doing here? trying to raid the place?"
>"If I had to guess, they are probably looking for someone."
"So, what do you think they are? pirates?"
>"Privateers by the looks of it. Governments do not send soldiers here, so instead they put out contracts for crews to claim. Whoever is being looked for must really be wanted if an entire warship took a contract like this. Although I saw many rush into town, a few of them stayed here to guard the docks, Maybe to stop whoever they are chasing from leaving? Anybody's guess, really."

>you shouldn't dally. Catch up with Ecoa. Which way was she going though? Shouldn't you have passed her on the way?

"Do you have any idea where Ecoa went? I didn't see her on my way here."
>"You must've taken a different way into town, Ecoa must have taken a way that had a ramp for the cart. If I had to take a shot in the dark here though, she is probably making a beeline to the nearest watering hole. She is incapable of getting drunk but you and I both know that won't stop her from trying. She also isn't supposed to drink on the job, but again, you and I both know that won't stop her from trying. "
"Why would she go to a tavern instead of going right to the post office?"
>"I heard something about it being on the way. She'll probably be fine though! not like anybody has any reason to start trouble with her."

>Don't forget to ask for a reminder on what exactly he needs you to buy.

"Hey Pilot, would you mind refreshing my memory on the stuff you wanted me to get?"
>"Sure thing buddy! let's see... I need a handheld telescope, a compass, the other type of compass, some ink, a bundle of rope and a fire-starter. We could also use some flares if you can find any, not that I think we are going to get stranded, but it is good to have them. You need me to write any of that down?"
"No, I should be good this time."
>"That's good because I don't have any ink! I did give you enough to buy all that, right?"
"What you gave me should be plenty."
>"Be sure to get some things for yourself! remember, this trip should take around 2 weeks, 3 at most depending on the conditions. Before you head out, do you want to come aboard to pick up or drop things off? if you're buying stuff, you might need a bigger carry bag."
>>
No. 997948 ID: ce39da

Get the bigger bag (and drop off the raincoat to speed up and make back lost time - you need to get back to the bar posthaste).
>>
No. 997954 ID: 86aaf2

Yea, carefully stowed travel umbrellas, or just a versatile travel cloak or lighter jacket that also functions as a blanket or pillow, are better than stifling raincoats for sure!
>>
No. 997971 ID: b1b4f3

>>997945
Drop off your wet weather gear, grab the larger bag.
>>
No. 998096 ID: 68c126
File 161962606765.png - (313.50KB , 800x600 , RTS06328042021.png )
998096

>Yea, carefully stowed travel umbrellas, or just a versatile travel cloak or lighter jacket that also functions as a blanket or pillow, are better than stifling raincoats for sure!
It might be a good idea to go shopping for a new outfit, nothing really goes against the uniform code either, I only really need to wear the hat. I'll decide if that's something I should do when I get there.

>Get the bigger bag (and drop off the raincoat to speed up and make back lost time - you need to get back to the bar post-haste).
It makes sense to get a big mail satchel for items I will pick up, and also to take off the coat and leave it on the ship with Pilot.

"I'm taking off my raincoat and leaving it on the ship."
>"You gonna do the all fours thing?"
"I probably will, even if people do think it to be a little uncivilized, it gets me places faster."
>"If it's any consolation, I think it's pretty neat!"
"Do you mind passing me down an empty satchel? I'll take it with me to put my items in later on."
>"You got it, bud!"

I unbutton my raincoat and undo the belts.
>>
No. 998097 ID: 68c126
File 161962609140.png - (237.87KB , 800x600 , RTS06428042021.png )
998097

Free from the raincoat, I can move around much better right away, and it does feel good to be unconfined, even if not for long. Knowing how weather tends to be, it'll be back on before long.
My odd pseudogryph body is on full display for everyone to see, though I doubt anyone cares any more than when I was wearing the coat.

Pilot comes back and throws down an empty satchel.
>"Here you go! I don't want to keep you much longer Pascoe, but I do want to know what you think of this place so far."
"The ridge? I haven't seen much really, but there are some good people and some bad ones,"
>"Yeah, there aren't any laws set by a governing body, the most contested land in all of history and all. did you know the longest time a country has ever been able to hold this place was 9 years?"
"Really? why?"
>"Because this is the only way in and out of the new world. That is why this place has like, a million different names! but anyway, my point is, everyone decided that it would just be better if nobody controlled it so everyone could pass freely. One of the few things the colonial powers could all agree on. Since the land belongs to nobody, you get lots of nobodies, criminals, pirates, mercenaries, and the like. Not many live here though, it's kinda just used as a Hub of sorts."
"Seems a little barren for a hub."
>"You should see this place on a good day! but anyway, don't let me keep you, is there anything else?"
"Not that I can think of right now. We'll catch up soon, ok?"
>"You got it!"

I must admit, Pilot is one of the nicest guys I know. Ecoa is a bit different when it comes to interacting with people, but I suppose I will be seeing her very soon.
>>
No. 998100 ID: 19da02

Ok! Do the all fours thing! Don't forget to get the stuff you're supposed to get, get the cart, and head back.
>>
No. 998114 ID: ce39da

Grab thee satchel and get to the bar.
>>
No. 998152 ID: 2b3343

The raincoat prevents you from running on all fours? You'll definitely want to get some clothing that won't encumber you. You never know when you'll have to run away at top speed, especially in the New World.

Follow that cart.
>>
No. 998192 ID: 86aaf2

Say, do you know of any cultures with a nudity taboo?
>>
No. 998193 ID: 74c499

Strange, lawless places normally have too little importance for any government to bother. If this place is such essential access point the interested nations should be even more invested in monopolizing this resource. An agreement between countries would result in a semi-independent local government that enacted the interest of multiple nations, not an abandonment of control. Something is odd...

Say, your feline lower half lack something that would be visible even though it would be small. You are female, aren't you?
Regardless, I hope you've noticed how interested Pilot seem to be in watching you undress. Maybe his friendliness have a reason.
>>
No. 998377 ID: d5825c

>>998193
Oh yeah, give him a little shake before walking off!
>>
No. 998396 ID: 68c126
File 161974856371.png - (296.03KB , 800x600 , RTS06528042021.png )
998396

>The raincoat prevents you from running on all fours? You'll definitely want to get some clothing that won't encumber you.
I don't really need clothes; my feathers and fur especially protect me from most of the elements. I only wear 'clothes' if they have pockets for me to keep things in

>I hope you've noticed how interested Pilot seem to be in watching you undress.
Pilot has something odd with his eyes, they always seem to move of their own accord. besides, my undressed self certainly isn't something he or anyone hasn't seen before.

>Say, do you know of any cultures with a nudity taboo?
Not that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a vocal minority. The only purpose clothes really serve is for further protection against the elements, it's perfectly acceptable to not wear any, but some prefer to have pockets and stuff, or just like the style.

>Ok! Do the all fours thing! Don't forget to get the stuff you're supposed to get, get the cart, and head back.
That's the plan! and that's what I set out to do.

I say my farewells and head to the tavern where I can see the cart sitting outside, which means Ecoa is definitely here. I move closer to the entrance when I hear someone from around the corner call out to me
>"H-hey, Pascoe! I've been looking around for you!"
"I'm sorry, have we met?"
>"We did, earlier! I drew you the map, remember? I really, really could use your help right about now! The courier I was waiting for tipped off our location, and I need to leave as soon as possible, but before that, I need someone I can trust to bring these to my associates in the new world before things reach a boiling point. I can really make it worth your while, so what do you--"
>>
No. 998397 ID: 68c126
File 161974857936.png - (359.52KB , 800x600 , RTS06628042021.png )
998397

CRAAASSSSH

What in the world was that?

>"...ugh..."

Huh. maybe I underestimated that adventurer after all?
>>
No. 998398 ID: 68c126
File 161974859222.png - (257.85KB , 800x600 , RTS06728042021.png )
998398

After a brief moment, Someone steps upon the limp body of the previously undefeated dualist.
That someone is Ecoa, the crew's stagecoach.

After a moment of scanning around, she spots me.
>>
No. 998401 ID: 68c126
File 161974873707.png - (148.98KB , 800x600 , RTS06828042021.png )
998401

>"THERE you are. You got any idea how long I was waiting? You're gonna regret wasting my time, because you are done faffling about. We are going to the post office NOW and then we are getting on the ship, and then we are leaving. Attach yourself to the cart before I glue you to it. am I clear?
>>
No. 998404 ID: 8483cf

Help map ave! Then obey strong birb lady.
>>
No. 998409 ID: f28519

Ecoa is a badass, understood. Well you heard the birb.
>>
No. 998416 ID: b1b4f3

>>998401
Tell her you were at the post office a little while ago and they recommended extra supplies. You can go quickly get them then meet her at the post office? Or the dock?
>>
No. 998456 ID: 864e49

>>998401
Yes ma'am.
Grab packages, put them in the cart and hook yourself up.
>>
No. 998472 ID: 4e124a

Ok, mental note: "Don't mess with Ecoa"

Also ask to wait for a minute, a client want to send a package. If she insist, you can mention you would have came even later if not for him.
>>
No. 998474 ID: 2aa5f0

yeah help the map guy. You are part of the postal service so if anything it makes sense that he's asking you to deliver something. Just ask who or where it needs to go too and you can toss it in with all the other mail.

As for your co-worker. Give her an easy going smile and let her know about who works at the local post office (and to warn her about the trigger happy clerk) and let her know about the supplies they recommend and some of the advice you picked up while you were getting a lay of the town. It will probably annoy her a bit but you did pick up some useful information that will probably help later down the road.
>>
No. 998532 ID: d5825c

i... i don't think we can reason with her.
am... am i missing something? she wants to leave immediately, and by ship... is that where we where supposed to go?
i got the impression that we where dragging the cart ourselves by land to another town? or route of towns.
>>
No. 998533 ID: ce39da

>>998532
We were always going to be traveling by ship. I don't think the New World is even one coherent landmass. The cart was only brought up because we need to haul a ton of mail back to the ship.

"Honestly, I had just gotten back to port because I forgot the cart, only to find out you had taken it out with you, so here I find myself on this detour you've created. Give it here - oh, and you'd better let me at least procure some much-needed supplies - including the things our pilot graciously asked for himself - if you don't want to be given that chore yourself."
>>
No. 998608 ID: eb1fcc

>>998401
>become suddenly preoccupied with another sort of package
>>
No. 998672 ID: a8318a

>>998401
Put on a face of false confidence and earnest thank and step up to speak with the Ecoa atop the TKO'd Hakrei. Go over the blind guard with an itchy trigger feather and thank her for being a bulwark aggainst the dualiest girl at least. Maybe we can capstone the short exchange with ahop down onto Hakrei's head to deliver another time out to her once she fades back into the waking world.
>>
No. 998683 ID: 15a025

One second, it sounds like we have another delivery here to add to our list.
>>
No. 1000529 ID: 0fd062

A general bump.
>>998672
Cute/pseudo-erotic so i’ll push it. None of it should inflicted consciously of course. Just sort of a couple pics of action.
>>
No. 1000660 ID: 68c126
File 162129242106.png - (162.14KB , 800x600 , RTS06917052021.png )
1000660

>Ok, mental note: "Don't mess with Ecoa"
Yeah, no kidding. I haven't known her for very long, but I heard lots of rumours.

>I don't think the New World is even one coherent landmass.
>I got the impression that we were dragging the cart ourselves by land to another town? or route of towns.
That's the plan, but we'll be traveling from island to island. The pinnacles are an extensive group of islands inhabited by different colonies, who get their mail delivered by groups like us. The New World is just the name given to all territory beyond the ridge, and is more than just one landmass. I hear about huge places beyond the pinnacles, none that I should concern myself with for the trip.

A crowd starts to gather around the spectacle, much to Ecoa's overall indifference.

>"How in the world did she even do that?... The hell are they teaching posties these days?"
>"Hey! You must be that fighter I heard about! I heard you were undefeated so I came to see for myself! would you want to spar?"
>"Uh, kid, maybe you should calm down there..."

>Ecoa, without bothering to look back, says to the crowd; "The next dweeb who gets in my way is gonna be the next one I put through a window."
>"P-please don't actually do that" says the barkeep, likely ignored or not heard.
>>
No. 1000661 ID: 68c126
File 162129248580.png - (241.50KB , 800x600 , RTS07017052021.png )
1000661

>Step up to speak with Ecoa atop the TKO'd Hakrei
As amazing and undoubtedly awesome as that sounds, I am still terrified of both of them.

>yeah, help the map guy. You are part of the postal service so if anything it makes sense that he's asking you to deliver something. Just ask who or where it needs to go to and you can toss it in with all the other mail.
It makes sense for me to take the parcels off his hands, sure, but usually they should go through the post office. At least, that is the professional way of going about it. I'm not sure what he could have that couldn't be mailed normally. I want to say something to him, but I'm finding it difficult to escape Ecoa's glare.

>Tell her you were at the post office a little while ago and they recommended extra supplies. You can go quickly get them then meet her at the post office? Or the dock?
"I actually did get to the post office! But they told me to go back to get the cart - either that or carry it all back manually. They also mentioned I should get stuff for when I'm out there, could I go take care of that and I can meet you at the post office?"
She rolls her eyes as she hops down from the giant ave, who only gives a pained inhale in response.
>"Listen rookie, these carts are supposed to be pulled by animals, but since we have you, you bring us to where we need to be instead. In this case; the Post Office. I take care of the envelopes and you get the packages, like we planned. After we have all that in the cart, you pull it back to the dock, we load it on the ship, and then we leave."
"We leave after we get the deliveries. But I need to go to some stores to get things, like navigation stuff Pilot asked me to pick up, and tools to bring with myself for the trip."
>"Look, if it's really that necessary, then I'm coming with you to stop you from wasting time. I'll even make it simple. You'll decide on two places to go, and no more."

>Give her an easy going smile and let her know about who works at the local post office (and to warn her about the trigger happy clerk)
I give an as easy going smile as I can give, but I do not think improves her mood much.
"Before we get to the post office, I should mention the run-in I had with one of the workers there, he shot in my direction because he thought I was a thief or something, so maybe watch out for him."
>"Oh, that guy? The one with desensing scars on both his eyes? He is still pulling that stunt? Don't worry, I told him what would happen if he did that again."

>Help map ave!
"Before we go, do you mind if I sort this guy out?"
>"You're not doing anything besides pulling the cart. To the post office. Right now." She sounds serious.
I can tell she is about ready to do something forceful if I don't comply. If I do want to help the desperate ave, I need think carefully on where I should meet him later so that we can talk in safety, and think of a short sentence to get that information across. I could meet him at a store, but those may not be safe for him. An abandoned fort could work but would be harder to organize.
>>
No. 1000674 ID: f8fa51

If you can get all the supplies you need at one stop, the other one can be him meeting you on the way back from the post-office. If not, then you really don't have much of a choice. Getting your supplies is more important than handling one guy's package.
>>
No. 1000676 ID: a38353

Oh hey, Vanil made it to the tavern.
Well we don't have much choice but to do what Ecoa says.
>>
No. 1000689 ID: 2aa5f0

well post office and supplies I guess if we can only do two things. Might as well make sure your crew at least has everything it needs before you venture to the new world.
>>
No. 1000706 ID: eb1fcc

>>1000661
why not have this guy meet us at the supply depot? the town's small, it can't have more than one right?
>>
No. 1000712 ID: 96c896

Does the post office count as one of the two locations? That said, the map guy meeting you there makes sense... Either there, or the port, but the people looking for him are probably AT the port.

You should go to the general store for sure. If there's nothing there to handle plants, I guess we'll have to stop at the weapons shop.
>>
No. 1000751 ID: 9675f4

Before leaving, don't forget to tell Hakrei "I told you I'd find a better fighter."
>>
No. 1001464 ID: 15a025

>>1000751
Oh yeah, agree with this. Hopefully that keeps them off our back.

I think we're really stuck with Ecoa here, so we better follow orders.
>>
No. 1001504 ID: cd5ee2

To pass the message you could ask the crowd in loud voice if someone knows of a place to buy suplies with a fair price and fast deliver, then repeat the place where you are to going. (Important the fast deliver to not angry even more Ecoa)

If he can't make it to the shop or the post office in time... well, it's his fault then. We can help a bit, but one thing is to lend a hand and other to get hurt for some suspiciuous stranger.
>>
No. 1001645 ID: 010e04
File 162190602424.png - (297.47KB , 800x600 , RTS07124052021.png )
1001645

>Does the post office count as one of the two locations?
I assume I need to choose two places besides the post office. I'll definitely need to go to a general place to pick up the necessary things, so I can only choose one other place.

"Hey Faspan, you still there?"
>"Y-yes! do you have an answer?"
"I can try helping you out, can you meet me in the shopping district?"
>"Sort of... They'll be looking for me there, but I can meet safely in the library I told you about. What do you say?
"I'm pretty restricted here, but I'll mull it over."
>"Please. I would not come to you unless I had to. I don't know who to trust right now, but I can explain everything in greater detail when we next meet."

I get the idea to get someone to go to a store to pick up items for me, but I'll save that for when we get there.
>>
No. 1001646 ID: 010e04
File 162190605626.png - (261.12KB , 800x600 , RTS07224052021.png )
1001646

>Before leaving, don't forget to tell Hakrei "I told you I'd find a better fighter."
I walk over to Hakrei and bend down to get a better look. I can't help myself but to grin at the sight.
"Looks like I found a better fighter after all."
She rustles around in response and speaks up through her shut beak.
>"psh, -- whatever... I'm still undefeated... that... didn't count. I didn't even initiate a dual so... it wasn't official. If I see you dweebs again... I won't go easy on you... ouch...
"Ha! If I see you again, I'll get my friend here to rough you up again!"
>>
No. 1001647 ID: 010e04
File 162190608842.png - (326.65KB , 800x600 , RTS07324052021.png )
1001647

>"Are you gloating on my behalf? Whatever. Put this on and let’s go."
"Waiiiit hold on hold on! that won't be necessary! I can just pull it normally, I don't need that animal stuff!"
>"What's the issue? You're an animal. kind of. You're much more... domestic, than the other chimeras I've met. this still shouldn’t be hard for you."
"It isn't hard! It's humiliating!"
>"It could be worse. I could put on the blinders, which would probably help you focus."
"That's worse!"

I might not have a choice, but there might be a way to earn some flexibility if I'm friendlier with Ecoa. It's a good idea to know my crew better after all.
>>
No. 1001662 ID: 96c896

Ok, meet the map guy at the library. Not like we really need to go anywhere other than the general store, and you might be able to get a good book on dangerous flora/fauna there, or a general survivalist manual.

>harness
Tell her you'll do a favor for her in return if she doesn't make you wear that thing. Or promise that you'll run your errands as quickly as possible. Alternatively, say please. She probably doesn't understand how strongly you feel about it.
Also maybe you can get fighting lessons from her?
>>
No. 1001664 ID: eb1fcc

"Look, I'm just not looking for that kind of relationship right now! We don't need to rush things!"

Then just get started while she processes that
>>
No. 1001667 ID: 4d8b77

>>1001662
Saying that someone is doing you a favor by not treating you as an animal is a pretty bad start to a working relationship. Just say no to the harness, without bargaining or explanation.

Pulling the cart for her is already your make good for anything she has to complain about, so unless you want to get trampled on, don't give her any more.
>>
No. 1001669 ID: 2086a1

Tell her the only way you’ll wear that is if she wears it herself and helps you push and seeing how that’s not happening guess you’ll just have to pull the cart normally.

Then just start pulling the cart normally before she can argue so she either has to hop on or get left behind
>>
No. 1001675 ID: 8483cf

>>1001667
This.
>>
No. 1001688 ID: f8fa51

Don't even both saying a word. Just grab the cart and start pulling.
>>
No. 1001702 ID: 66ae17

>>1001664

This, but make it even more weirdly/awkwardly sexual, as a way of driving home how inappropriate of an ask it is? You know, your standard, "Oh my! I usually only wear the blinders on the second date! The first date, it's all *your* chance!"
>>
No. 1001713 ID: ce39da

"As a person, I am perfectly able to pull the cart without the harness, and so choose to do just that." Go and pick up the cart as you say this. "How is that hard to understand? Unless you have... other motives to make your coworker wear a restrictive leather harness? I didn't take you for that type, Ecoa." But give her a look that says you absolutely did, and get going before she can object. Sure, she'll probably kick your ass later, but it's way better to be vitriolic rivals than master and slave.
>>
No. 1001735 ID: 010e04
File 162198256279.png - (220.28KB , 800x600 , RTS07426052021.png )
1001735

"Look, I'm just not looking for that kind of relationship right now! We don't need to rush things!"
>"Oh good lord, you're trying to make this weird, aren't you?"
"And blinders? I only do that on the second date!"
>"Ok. you are. You know what? I honestly didn't think you'd hate it that much.
"Please."
>"Fine. If you really, really don't want to wear it, then I won't force you.

And thus, some of my dignity remains intact! at least for now.

"I'll get to pulling the cart then."
>"Wonderful."
>>
No. 1001736 ID: 010e04
File 162198259081.png - (321.86KB , 800x600 , RTS07526052021.png )
1001736

We have some time to kill before we arrive, so I think of some topics for conversation.

>maybe you can get fighting lessons from her?
"Hey Ecoa, how did you do that thing you did earlier?"
>"What thing?"
"You know, throwing that big Ave through the window."
>"Oh, right. I learned how to fight back when I was doing my old job."
"You fought Aves twice your size?"
>"It isn't as hard as it sounds. The trick is to use their weight against them. Something else to consider is how slow larger ave reaction times tend to be."
"You think I could learn to fight?"
>"Are you kidding me? You're a chimera. Some of the best fighters in the world are chimeras. That's because you have the incredible ability to adapt to any environment quicker than any ave. Makes me wonder why you waste all that potential on delivering mail.

"So… are you always this... strict?"
>"I'm told that's the impression I give off. I simply take responsibility when it is needed. Trust me, this isn't my first time. It's actually my fourth."
"Woah, really? you've been to the New World that many times?"
>"I've never gone that far in. Only the pinnacles I'm required to go. I have my fair share of weird stories. regardless, I'm 'strict' because I need to be. You'd be amazed at how quickly things fall apart when everyone slacks off. don't let me personality alienate you, we can all be pals, but we'll save that for when we're on break. Maybe play cards or something."
"What kind of feeling does our current crew give you?"
>"It seems workable. Our Pilot is excellent at what he does, and his knowledge on some subjects is vast. I was paired up with him and some other guy last time, and he did a good job. He does have that weird sleeping condition though. You on the other hand, I can tell this is your first time, so I'll cut you some slack. Try not to waste my time though, otherwise I might take it personally."
"You think I'll do a good job?"
>"You're already doing a good job. Most aves can't pull a cart that effortlessly. You can thank your denser bone structure for that."

>"Hey Pascoe, I have a question for you now. what exactly do you want from the New World?"
"What do you mean?"
>"Of all the New World Postal runners I've met, few do it for the money. I could be wrong about you though. What do you want most in the world? what's your endgame?"
>>
No. 1001744 ID: eb1fcc

>>1001736
We're not seeking adventure, more to bring some semblance of sanity to a place we heard was pretty insane. Regular mail-service is a big part of that.
>>
No. 1001749 ID: d0ff6a

Ohana means family and family means nobody gets behind or forgotten.
>>
No. 1001753 ID: ce39da

"Oh, definitely not adventure. The pinnacles are one thing, but you wouldn't catch me dead out in the New World proper... I don't know, maybe I just wanted a change of pace, and this was as changey as it gets? I'm a chimera, I figure I can handle... at least some of it. Sorry for taking so long, by the way - it's my first time and I wanted as much intel as I could get before I began my shopping; need to know what the essentials are, am I right? I'll, uh... I'll admit that the stories have shaken my confidence just a bit."
>>
No. 1001766 ID: 96c896

>>1001736
>what do you want from the new world
It's the money.
>>
No. 1001780 ID: f8fa51

Because one day I realised there's way more of the world out there than I've ever seen, and I didn't want it to all just be rumours to me.
>>
No. 1001789 ID: 010e04
File 162201480526.png - (310.61KB , 800x600 , RTS07626052021.png )
1001789

>We're not seeking adventure.

"Not adventure, that's for sure!"
>"Good, adventurers get on my nerves."
"Exactly!"

>It's the money.

"What if I am just in it for the money?"
>"Bud, there are way more ways of making money in the New World that don't involve delivering other people's mail. You'd be better off becoming a prospector of ancient treasures, or whatever.

>maybe I just wanted a change of pace, and this was as cagey as it gets?
>Because one day I realised there's way more of the world out there than I've ever seen, and I didn't want it to all just be rumours to me.

"I think I got it. I think I'm out here because I got tired of how things were going."
>"Oh? And how were they going?"
"comfortably! I won't lie, Delivering to the same people in the same small towns, it's an easy, honest living. Though... I guess after a while I just got... sick of it. Then I heard all these rumours, about the New World. Maybe I wanted to see some of that for myself. Maybe not have them be rumours. Not to me at least.
>"If that's your motivation, then I think you'll find what you're looking for. But wouldn't you want something else? like supernatural powers?"
"Powers don't exist!"
>"Shows what you know. What about that special someone? Maybe out there you'll find your chimera lover."
"Hah! don't make me laugh! Love just isn't for me, I can't have any distractions from my true goals!"
>"Whatever those may be. We're nearly there. We'll make this quick, but you can do things in any order you'd like. You can pick up the parcels or sort out the paperwork first, it's up to you."
>>
No. 1001791 ID: 30b9f6

>parcels or papers
With your denser bone-head structure, you seem very fit for the grunt work of picking up parcels, so go do that!

(you could do the paperwork easily, but you don't wanna - plus if you get to pile the parcels maybe you can stack them in a clever way that leaves room for someone to duck in and hide)
>>
No. 1001792 ID: 2086a1

Well we did go all the way back to get the wagon to get all the parcels so let’s get those parcels.
>>
No. 1001829 ID: cd5ee2

Parcels, as it is physical labour you can start to think the next locations to go and make a list of what you exactly need while you work.
>>
No. 1001850 ID: d5825c

"Hah! don't make me laugh! Love just isn't for me, I can't have any distractions from my true goals"
Yess! Our chimera! tho kink might not be so bad~
>>
No. 1001851 ID: 96c896

What if you're looking for someone? Mailmen go to a lot of different populated places and meet a lot of people. If there's someone in the New World you're trying to find, becoming a mailman is a good way to do it.
>>
No. 1001876 ID: 010e04
File 162210354151.png - (221.28KB , 800x600 , RTS07727052021.png )
1001876

It only takes us a short while for us to arrive at the post office. I bring the cart through without much effort and we make our way to the desk, where I'm called to by the receptionist.

"Well look who's back! and by the sounds of it, you brought the cart this time! look at you, learning so fast. I can hear you dragging it around of all fours, I only wish I could see it!"
"Well hello to you too."
"We got one of the guys to come in and open up all the windows, so I hope the lighting level is to your liking, oh, and it sounds like you brought a buddy with you! I get it, couldn't handle it all on your own? All this work was too much for one person to handle?"
>"Hey Riquar."
>>
No. 1001877 ID: 010e04
File 162210356646.png - (162.11KB , 800x600 , RTS07827052021.png )
1001877

"E-Ekoa!? Chimera! you didn't tell me you were paired up with... her. Why are - I mean - what did - or... I thought that they fired you!"
>"My co-worker told me what you did."
"Y-yeah the - uh - thing about that is um, uhhh it's because--"
>"Didn't I tell you what would happen if you ever did that again?"
"O-oh no. oh -- no..." He begins to fumble around frantically, desperately looking for a way out of this confrontation.
"C-Chimera! You need to make her stop! You wouldn't let a blind guy get hurt -- would you?!

That seems like a very odd apology, to be sure. I could press him for something a little more convincing, or I could let the consequences of his actions catch up to him.
>>
No. 1001878 ID: e51896

Just tell Ekoa that in a way, he kind of gave you a wake-up call as to what the new world would be like, and to prepare you to expect the unexpected. You're a lot more alert now for your job, thanks to him.
>>
No. 1001879 ID: eb1fcc

>>1001878
This. He still shot at us, so like, we're not gonna step in front of the train for him, but we'll at least ask the conductor to try the brakes first lol
>>
No. 1001880 ID: 96c896

Why, what's she gonna do?
>>
No. 1001881 ID: d0ff6a

Hey, before you die, remember how last time I entered, you could immedeatedly tell I was a chimera? How were you able to?
>>
No. 1001889 ID: 30b9f6

>>1001879
Yeah. Honestly, he's probably not worth the trouble or whatever it'd get Ekoa into for roughing him up.
>>
No. 1001893 ID: 2aa5f0

silently wonder what Ekoa does for a living because she can't just be a simple postal worker.
>>
No. 1001904 ID: f8fa51

You could easily be dead now, he clearly needs a lesson.
>>
No. 1001926 ID: afbb81

That depends on what the blind guy did, don’t it? I would like to know before the probable imminent violence!
>>
No. 1001928 ID: 01031d

>>1001878
Yeah. He didn't shoot to kill or with lethal ammo. Just make clear that you don't have a grudge against him. Also starting a fight would waste a lot of time and if I pick it right we are already late.
>>
No. 1001929 ID: 06b94f

Best not hold grudges. Be the bigger man...er... pseudogryph
>>
No. 1001994 ID: 010e04
File 162219848797.png - (208.78KB , 800x600 , RTS07927052021.png )
1001994

>he's probably not worth the trouble or whatever it'd get Ekoa into for roughing him up.
Seeing what happened when he fired a gun at me? Any punishment would probably be a step less than a slap on the wrist.

>silently wonder what Ekoa does for a living because she can't just be a simple postal worker.
Everybody knows very little about her past, all that can be gathered is that it was probably very violent.

>Why, what's she gonna do?
Who knows? Maybe she will have a nice chat with him. I somehow doubt that outcome a little though.

I take off the piece attaching me to the cart and walk up to the counter.

"I'll be fair and let you have a shot at redeeming yourself."

"remember how last time I entered, you could immediately tell I was a chimera? How were you able to?"
"When you become blind, you begin to pick up on things pretty quickly. You're certainly not the first Chimera I've met. I had to tolerate one around the time I became permanently visually impaired. In terms of the worst chimera I've met? she takes the cake. over-emotional and a terrible listener. But you're good! Not a total fleabag - like that other one!"

"Tell me why either of us should forgive you for scaring people with your gun."
"I- er - care so much about warding off intruders! We've had big thief problems in the past, they just - come in here and take stuff! I'm just protecting what's ours - er - the property of our clients!"
"What gave you the impression that I of all people was a thief."
"I - uh... This might sound bad but, chimeras have a particular reputation, is all."
"Oooh. What kind?"
"The kind... that would not... lead one to believe that you'd come in here to pick up and deliver mail?"
"I don't think you're being entirely honest on why you fire a gun at people who walk in."
“...”
"..."
"...ok, it's because I get bored."
"hmmmm"
"What? I'm blind! There isn't much for me to do around here except lick stamps and give directions!"

"Ecoa, whatever violence you were gonna commit, turn it down half-way and proceed."
>"Don't you worry your pretty little conscience; I'll go easy on him."
"What? wait, no!"
>>
No. 1001996 ID: 010e04
File 162219858050.png - (207.81KB , 800x600 , RTS08028052021.png )
1001996

*GACK*
>"What are you looking back for? you better not be feeling bad for him."
"No no, nothing like that."
>"I'll be quick, so you leave this to me. Once he learns his lesson, I'll meet you soon to load the envelopes into the cart, you just take care of all the heavy stuff."

"which way to the room where the packages are stored?"
"*ack* D-down the hall, two doors to the right..." He points down a corridor, apparently still having a sense of direction.

I don't have to go right to the mail room, it might be a good idea to meet up with the PM to get a map of our route and information on some of the islands we'll be going to.
>>
No. 1001998 ID: 2aa5f0

>I don't have to go right to the mail room
you don't but your boss seems to be in a bad mood today and she scary.
>>
No. 1002003 ID: d0ff6a

"I'll get map of our route while I get the packages."
>>
No. 1002013 ID: 96c896

>>1002003
Yeah.
>>
No. 1002053 ID: eb1fcc

>>1001994
This dude could write a whole how-to guide on digging ditches with your mouth, lmao

Anyhow, grab a route map and the packages.
>>
No. 1002720 ID: 15a025

Those talons might be around our neck next, if we don't get our job here finished soon.
>>
No. 1002831 ID: 010e04
File 162309628243.png - (215.64KB , 800x600 , RTS08104062021.png )
1002831

>Your boss seems to be in a bad mood today and she scary.
She isn't my boss! I mean, she isn’t supposed to be my boss. We aren't even supposed to have a hierarchy, but I suppose one forms regardless.

>Those talons might be around our neck next, if we don't get our job here finished soon.
If there's a good side to Ecoa, I should do everything and anything to get on it - doing my job included.

I follow the directions and find myself in the mail room. Finally! I am in my element! More or less, anyway. I've never seen a mail room built so vertically before, not that I've seen a mail room outside my own post office.

Thinking about getting a map, I'll bump into the Postmaster sooner or later so that I can get a more detailed one. We actually have one in the handbook, but it is rudimentary and provides very little information. That reminds me, I should have a list written down of all the lockers I need to go to. In total, I need to pick up and deliver roughly over a hundred packages. most of them are small, mainly because larger items are more expensive to get delivered. As per policy, nobody besides the client has any idea of what's actually in any of the boxes, our only job is to deliver them.

Ok! I've got a good feeling! I'm finally ready to get this job done!
>>
No. 1002832 ID: 010e04
File 162309630939.png - (334.23KB , 800x600 , RTS08205062021.png )
1002832

Ladders.

The problem chimeras like me face from time to time is the inescapable fact that everything built by aves was built for aves. I mean it's possible for me to climb ladders, but I've never done it before, and I don't expect to get it right the first time. If worst comes to worst, I cany try climbing the lockers themselves, as those'll provide a better foothold.

A voice calls from behind me
>"Hey, need a little help there?"
>>
No. 1002833 ID: 010e04
File 162309633756.png - (301.98KB , 800x600 , RTS08305062021.png )
1002833

I look back and I see an ave. More specifically, A postal worker. I don't think he works here, and his uniform doesn't match mine, so he must be from another postal service.

"I didn't realize anyone else was here."
>"Yep! just got here a little while ago. This your first time?"
"Yes, it is, what about you?"
>"Not quite, this is my second time. It isn't as bad as the locals make it out to be! So I signed up for a longer route this time."
"You'd offer to help me even though we're from different services?"
>"We're allied, remember? We're all working for the same goal, so I don't mind helping a friend in need!"

He seems friendly enough, and I don't find him suspicious or anything like that. However, I need to decide whether I should keep relying on the help of others or become more independent and capable of overcoming any future obstacles by myself.
>>
No. 1002834 ID: 96c896

You're supposed to be adaptable. ADAPT.
>>
No. 1002838 ID: d5825c

>>1002833
He could be using a disguise kit, but spy checking is the post master's job.
Well he might as well use his help, you can learn to climb on a cliff side later.
If you misjudge and break a shelf ecco will get angry.
Asking for help will be the fastest solution.
>>
No. 1002846 ID: 01031d

Social skills are also important skills for your job. Acept his help to see if things are diferent here
>>
No. 1002847 ID: 9d29cf

Now is not the time to try and do everything alone. Not when there are fragile objects on the line.
Ask the guy to hold the ladder while you pick up the parcels.
>>
No. 1002849 ID: c93e10

Well he offered so why not take up his offer. You can also pick his brain on what to expect on the job since he said he’s done it before.
>>
No. 1002869 ID: 74c499

I understand your paws offer less griping capacity than your talons, but all felines should be capable of scaling obstacle much more challenging than a ladder.
Won't you feel ashed of admit you are a cat that can't climb? Have some pride and do it yourself.
>>
No. 1002890 ID: 864e49

It's a ladder. How hard is it to use a ladder?
Just do what you would do if you climbed the lockers.
>>
No. 1004806 ID: 2b1560
File 162538690012.png - (254.92KB , 800x600 , RTS08404072021.png )
1004806

>It's a ladder. How hard is it to use a ladder?
Harder than it looks for me! I'm an awful climber, And I don't know if that's just because I'm a pseudogryph or if I'm too clumsy to trust myself .

>Social skills are also important skills for your job.
That is true, though I'd avoid wanting to rely on them.
>Now is not the time to try and do everything alone. Not when there are fragile objects on the line.
Fragile packages usually have a mark or symbol if that helps.
>Ask the guy to hold the ladder while you pick up the parcels.
That doesn't seem necessary considering it is attached to a rail on the ground.
>Well he offered so why not take up his offer. You can also pick his brain on what to expect on the job since he said he’s done it before.
I suppose there's little to lose if I take the offer, so I contemplate meeting him halfway.
>I understand your paws offer less gripping capacity than your talons, but all felines should be capable of scaling obstacle much more challenging than a ladder.
There's no shame in understanding what I can't do! I'm much different from aves, felines too. Both have good balance, while I have two sides that do not work together.
>Have some pride and do it yourself.
I've never been proud of much, but I will scale the lockers myself, while also accepting help on stuff that is too difficult for me to retrieve.
>You're supposed to be adaptable. ADAPT.
I. WILL. ADAPT!

With some effort I hoist myself up the lockers and retrieve all the parcels on my list.

>"Woah, you're really going for it, aren't you?"
"y-yep..."
>>
No. 1004807 ID: 2b1560
File 162538694165.png - (173.09KB , 800x600 , RTS08500072021.png )
1004807

It is a little difficult at first, but I soon get into the rhythm of it. As I thought, most packages are small and easy enough to move, while some can be pretty heavy. We chat so things are not completely silent.

"So, what's the job like out there? You got advice for a first timer?"
>"Hmmmm yeah... Well for one, the people out there act quite different than the ones back home. Many seem to act pretty rude. Suppose they have the right to, apparently it can be pretty tough to make a living. You either have to choose between work that is gruelling, or work that is dangerous. Watch out for sailors, they all try to spin tall tales, but I can tell they're just trying to scare me."
"What kinds of stories?"
>"Oh you know, stuff like sirens, ghosts, monsters that lurk beneath the trench, that sort of thing."
"I wasn't aware anything lived under the trench."
>"Nothing does! Well, nothing that anybody can prove. Some have gone down but none return, so it's a bit of a mystery."
"That's weird..."
>"Tell me about it!"
"No, I mean this package."
>"What's weird about it?"
"It has Return to Sender written on it. In the same handwriting as the one who wrote the sending address.”
>"That can be weird, depending on the circumstances..."
"There is no receiving address and there are no names. Looks like whoever sent this package wanted to get rid of something Just to get it back in a few weeks. I can't think of any reason why."
>"Question... does this package happen to be a perfect cube?"
"Yeah... How did you know?"
>"I got a package exactly like the one you just described."
>>
No. 1004808 ID: 2aa5f0

So is it normal for people to mail themselves packages around here?
>>
No. 1004809 ID: f8fa51

Sounds like a way to get rid of contraband for a little while, or something else you don't want people to find on you for whatever reason. No idea why it'd be a perfect cube, though.
>>
No. 1004812 ID: 44b1b5

Mailing stuff to yourself merely to get contraband out of the way for a bit seems plausible... in the civilized world. But this is the New World!

"Er... These senders don't really have any world powers they need to hide normal contraband from... so these probably aren't normal contraband. The type of thing less official authorities would k-kill for, maybe?" This being the new world, one can't even guess what that might be - it could be anything you could imagine... but don't voice this part out loud; you aren't the type who wants to give someone in your vicinity tempting ideas. You know your own ability to resist, but you don't know his.
>>
No. 1004823 ID: 96c896

>>1004807
These packages could also be a way to meet postal workers... Is the box heavy?
>>
No. 1004830 ID: fc1991

This mysterious package is obvious smuggling material.
Ignore it. It someone else's problem now.
>>
No. 1004855 ID: 2b1560
File 162544979430.png - (326.72KB , 800x600 , RTS08600072021.png )
1004855

>So is it normal for people to mail themselves packages around here?
I've never seen it been done like this before. We usually only return undeliverable mail.
>Sounds like a way to get rid of contraband for a little while
There's no way to tell what's inside, so it could very well be contraband. We do have a strict privacy policy so we'll probably never know.
>This mysterious package is obvious smuggling material. Ignore it. It someone else's problem now.
Smuggling material or not, I'm obliged to deliver! I've delivered every package I've been assigned, and I won't let this leave a blemish on my perfect record!

>Is the box heavy?
As I find out shortly after trying to pull it out, absolutely.
Luckily, my back breaks the fall, so it's all good. It weighs like a stone, and whatever is inside is one solid piece, I can't feel anything rattling around.

>"Whoops! I should've mentioned it was heavy - sorry about that."
"It's - ugh - all good..."
>"Where do you need to deliver it to?"
"Some place called 'Fort Enterlien'"
>"Really? The one I got is going a different place. Where yours is going is as far as we deliver, too. There’s probably a chance the packages are unrelated, so don’t sweat it!"
"I got a bad feeling about this. Think there's contraband inside?"
>"There's a good chance. If you're wondering what to do with it, you should bring it up with the postmaster."

We're just about done picking up all of the packages as well as attached envelopes, and I am preparing my farewells to the kind stranger. From here I need to either check up on Ecoa's end to see if she needs help, or go to the postmaster, gather information, and sort out any paperwork. After all that I would say we're nearly good to go.
>>
No. 1004860 ID: 96c896

>>1004855
Postmaster.
>>
No. 1004862 ID: 2aa5f0

probably best to head towards the postmaster first as Ecoa would probably be pissy at you if you showed up in front of her again without getting everything done before hand.
>>
No. 1004863 ID: 74c499

You've been very suggestive with your climbing shenanigans in front of this kind stranger for a while now. How about asking his or her name?

If no company rule is being violated this box should still be delivered. However, you should leave some form of written record about the odd circumstances around both of those packages, including the names and addresses for bureaucratic book keeping and to help any possible future investigation, specially in case either of you two don't return from the deliver.
>>
No. 1004866 ID: f8fa51

Not that you should really care about contraband in this case, but "highly unusual" still means go ask someone in charge about it. Even if they don't tell you to do anything unusual with it, at least someone in charge will know about it and the buck doesn't land on you if something goes wrong.
>>
No. 1004868 ID: 44b1b5

Postmaster, and do tell him about the strange package so at least somebody knows.
>>
No. 1004872 ID: 2b1560
File 162549686919.png - (220.75KB , 800x600 , RTS08700072021.png )
1004872

>You've been very suggestive with your climbing shenanigans in front of this kind stranger for a while now. How about asking his or her name?
Suppose I owe that much.

"Before I move on to my next order of business, I don't think I got your name."
>"Ocen! Nice to meet you..."
"Pascoe"
>"Well, Pascoe, I hope we meet again in the New World, under the very plausible assumption our routes overlap! We can hang out some time on our breaks, who knows!"
"I suppose I'll look forward to it." And I do mean that. This ave could possibly be the most polite person I'll see in a while.
>>
No. 1004873 ID: 2b1560
File 162549689275.png - (319.14KB , 800x600 , RTS08800072021.png )
1004873

Fearing the consequences of going to Ecoa without all the paperwork out of the way, thus being mistaken for some kind of slacker, I make my way to the postmaster's office, which proves easy enough as signs conveniently point the way.

>"Ah, welcome back pseudogryph. I had thought Riquar might have scared you off. Luckily, he has never hurt anybody doing that, though I still try to discourage him from doing it. He only does it to first timers, so take that as you will."
"I wondered what his deal was."
>"He wasn't always so… rambunctious? when he learned his condition was permanent, he was a mess for a long time. He has since found a hobby and is doing a lot better. Anyway, I digress, Let’s get down to business. Would you like to see what places you will be stopping at along your route while we exchange signatures, or is there another order of business you would like to address first? And after we're done here there's one more minor thing to take care of."
>>
No. 1004876 ID: 44b1b5

"I'd like to report two suspicious packages, though one of them's to be handled by someone in another company. Both perfect cubes and heavy for their size, but with different senders, with no address except 'return to sender' written in the same handwriting. Should the various companies still handle them as normal, despite being obvious attempts to temporarily hide something from local interested parties? And do you, as an experienced postal officer of the New World, have any insight as to what these are - without opening them, of course?"

After this matter, you can move on to recommended supplies and routing.
>>
No. 1004877 ID: 74c499

Leave a report containing a description of both packages, the written address and senders, yours and Oncen's names. In the worst case they will have an easier time finding your corpse.

The route and and traveling tips would be very helpful. Take notes and inquire about the kind of people you might find in each location.

Riquar might have a reason to act the way he does, so I will not judge, but at the same time I'm not too inclined to get closer to the guy.
>>
No. 1004885 ID: f8fa51

Don't bother asking about the packages. Simply state that you have something odd to report, describe the packages, and see if the postmaster has anything to say about them. If not, move on to the next topic.
>>
No. 1004889 ID: 2aa5f0

say you came across an odd package and where wondering if anything should be down with it or just deliver it as normal. Show the package in question if needed. After that finish the paperwork and see what that last piece of business is.
>>
No. 1004890 ID: 2b1560
File 162553138930.png - (241.08KB , 800x600 , RTS08900072021.png )
1004890

"First off, I want to report packages of an odd nature."
>"Let me guess. Is it the return to sender packages?"
"Oh, you already knew?"
>"Not much goes on in a post office that the postmaster doesn't know about. It's kind of my job."
"Do you know what the deal is with those?"
>"I have not a clue in the world. We have been getting those packages for a while, the first one we received was two years ago, and they have kept coming in since. There have been easily over a hundred sent in. all are the same shape, all are very heavy, and all are to be returned to separate addresses."
"Do you think they contain contraband?"
>"It doesn't matter if we can't prove any contain anything against the rules. For the best, the contraband room is nearly full."
"This all feels rather... insidious, doesn't it?"
>"Who knows. One more weird thing is that all are being delivered in the same two-week period, and by every single company. Even some of the companies who operate outside of the alliance have gotten their share. I'm only glad to finally be rid of them."

It's probably fiiiiiine. He begins to rummage around the drawers in his desk and boxes of papers, presumedly looking for charters, manifests, maps and all the other boring stuff. Suppose I can ask him questions or wait until he finds what he is looking for.
>>
No. 1004893 ID: 2aa5f0

wonder if the packages have gold in them. Gold is heavy, bars are usually forged in square shapes and if it's going to everyone with even a modicum of power it could be payment or a bribe. Doubt it is though and at this point it's probably above our pay grade. Might as well get to filling out that paper work before Ecoa thinks you're slacking again.
>>
No. 1004912 ID: 96c896

Oh, we could narrow down what's in them by weighing them, measuring the dimensions of the box, and thus calculating how dense the insides must be. Granted, that's the average density, so we can't say conclusively what's in there since it could be a variety of materials inside.

Has anyone tried politely asking what's in them, upon delivery? If they're not contraband or whatever, maybe the recipients wouldn't mind showing us?
>>
No. 1004917 ID: f8fa51

Frankly, it's not our business. Making sure the postmaster was aware and delivering the package should be the start and end of our interest in the matter, unless there's a clear and present danger to ourselves or others.
>>
No. 1004923 ID: 44b1b5

All it would take is one postman breaking his oath to figure out what these are... or maybe it's that some have, except they're unable to tell anyone? Either they'd risk exposing themselves, or... maybe nobody who's opened one lived to tell the tale?

Thoughts for later. Let's review our route.
>>
No. 1004962 ID: 96c896

>>1004923
>All it would take is one postman breaking his oath
That reminds me... ask what Riquar looked at that broke his eyes.
>>
No. 1005051 ID: 9a2966

Ask him for general advice. It's your first time going out there, after all. He must've made some trips himself, right?
>>
No. 1005120 ID: 2b1560
File 162574591617.png - (319.80KB , 800x600 , RTS09000072021.png )
1005120

>wonder if the packages have gold in them.
If it was gold I wouldn't hesitate "losing it during transit" and retiring early, but that's likely not the case, everyone knows sending money through the mail is a bad idea.
>Has anyone tried politely asking what's in them, upon delivery? If they're not contraband or whatever, maybe the recipients wouldn't mind showing us?
I'm curious, but I doubt I'll bump into any recipients. I'll be sure to through any other post workers I meet.
>Frankly, it's not our business. Making sure the postmaster was aware and delivering the package should be the start and end of our interest in the matter, unless there's a clear and present danger to ourselves or others.
Now that's the way I ought to think! It shouldn't matter what's inside, so long as it doesn't affect me.
>ask what Riquar looked at that broke his eyes.
I'll be sure to ask him the specifics, I have a feeling I'll see him again.
>Ask him for general advice. It's your first time going out there, after all. He must have made some trips himself, right?
I'll be sure to do that during or after he presents his information to me.

>"Aha, here it is." He says aloud as he pulls up a huge map, detailing all of my company's delivery routes.
>"Judging by the day of the week you came here, you should be on route four, correct?"
"Sounds about right to me."
>>
No. 1005121 ID: 2b1560
File 162574596018.png - (304.46KB , 800x600 , RTS09100072021.png )
1005121

He sets the map down on his desk and I look closer to the area that concerns me. It's a lot of information to take in, and as I scan the details he speaks up.
>"Route 4 contains 7 pinnacles in 4 different territories. For the fastest time, you should split this map into thresholds to decide which order you will visit them. The first two islands are threshold one, the next two are threshold two, the next two are three and the last island is four. You and your navigator should decide which order you will go for the first threshold, those islands being Grandflores and Mamerti. after you have delivered everything for those first two islands, then you should proceed with whichever order you will go for the next two. Does that make sense?"
"Uhhh more or less?"
>"Do you have questions?"
"Many"
>"I don't want to keep you here all day so I'll try to quickly and briefly answer any and all inquiries you may have."

I am not even sure where to start. What should I ask about first? the contents of the islands (as well as what flora, fauna and unique dangers effect each.), the empires that occupy the territories (with their known motives and formed alliances), or the weird anomaly lines I see all over the map? I can sometimes see weird scribbles occasionally.
>>
No. 1005127 ID: 2aa5f0

ask for a quick summary of each territory on the map and what is the anomaly belt?
>>
No. 1005130 ID: 74c499

What is the Anomaly Belt North? Sound ominous.
Why don't the traveling routes match the territorial zones? If there is a strong reason for the routes, than why don't the marked territories match the traveling routes?
Would anyone know or care about our naval movement? Can we expect any trouble when crossing territories?
Is there anything you should know about those islands? Any particular dangerous place? People to avoid?
>>
No. 1005145 ID: 96c896

Looks like there's some unclaimed territory in the middle there, does that complicate things?
>>
No. 1005159 ID: 2b1560
File 162579406768.png - (183.80KB , 800x600 , RTS09200072021.png )
1005159

>ask for a quick summary of each territory on the map and what is the anomaly belt?
"Give me a quick rundown of who runs the territories, and what that anomaly belt is"
>"Route 4 is occupied by four of the major colonial powers. Romua, Fetz, Bacot and Sein, Dutsa also shares territory on Grandflores but has little overall influence. Bacot and Fetz are long-time enemies, and both have extremely strong Navies. both have been focused on keeping their influence in the New World. The former holds the most territory but spreads themselves too thin, while the latter holds less territory, but holds onto it with an iron grip.
The Seinish empire on the other hand is a good lesson on greed. One of the first empires to participate in the looting of the New World, hell bent on rapid expansion into unknown territory, they sent champions and conquerors on the search for gold and silver, to the point of leaving their country vulnerable to its neighbours. They went all in and nearly lost everything as a result. Despite being a shadow of its former self, they have adapted to acting very cautiously, but not timid. No matter which pinnacles you go to, their past influence can be seen.
The Romuans are a bit of a wild card. They are the New Worlds newest arrival, a splintered piece of a divided empire set out to establish itself as a New World power. Their Navy isn't the strongest, but they excel at ground combat, to the point of being ruthless. They have a culture of competition and fighting and have been taking over occupied territory for decades. They seem incapable of creating colonies for themselves, only assimilating existing ones.
Dutsa, as far as you should be concerned, Is a company out for one thing only; trade and profit. They are only interested in lands with good potential for generating revenue, through plantations and farming."
"What's the deal with the anomaly belt?"
>"Oh, yes, the cartographers insist on putting those on there. Supposedly along those lines are where most storm anomalies tend to happen. I personally find it superstitious, but I can go into more detail if you care to hear what people say."

>Would anyone know or care about our naval movement? Can we expect any trouble when crossing territories?
"So, none of these guys mind if we pass through their territories?"
>"Not at all. Postal ships have almost complete clearance across the Pinnacles. Even if some empires tend to be cutthroat and strict, they still like having their mail delivered. In essence, the Maritime Postal Alliance exists for the powers to agree on this premise, at least by proxy."

>Looks like there's some unclaimed territory in the middle there, does that complicate things?
"What's with the unclaimed territory in the middle?"
>"Ah, that would be a null area. Nations avoid claiming it to avoid having to deal with the pirate problem."
"Pirates?"
>"Yes. Pirates."
>>
No. 1005161 ID: 74c499

Every unclaimed island is pirate territory? So the most secure sea route is the one between Grandflores and Fera.
A first glance it looks like we have to circle the entire route one way or another to visit every island without wasting time, but with the threat of piracy I wonder if we should take a detour repeating several islands to avoid dangerous areas. Do you have any advice?
>>
No. 1005165 ID: 44b1b5

“To be clear, when you say ‘decide on the threshold order,’ you mean decide which of a threshold’s stops we’ll do as we go out, and which we’ll do on the way back after we’ve reached Fort Enterlien, correct? Because as far as I can tell, doing them in pairs at a time seems impossible without doubling back since there’s no direct route indicated between Fera and Picarta.”
>>
No. 1005166 ID: 8483cf

Holy crap, nations actively avoid claiming land to dodge pirates? How bad IS it?

That or the areas are just completely devoid of any strategic value or natural resources.
>>
No. 1005168 ID: 96c896

>>1005159
>the unclaimed territory is pirate territory
I knew it. And since the third pair of islands has only one route between them, which crosses pirate territory, there's no avoiding them.
Do pirates harass postal ships much?
>>
No. 1005169 ID: a22e3e

Do pirates care about postal ships or do they tend to leave them alone like everyone else? I mean I wouldn’t think some letters would be worth the effort… unless they’re just trying to steal the ship itself.
>>
No. 1005178 ID: 2b1560
File 162582018944.png - (347.25KB , 800x600 , RTS09300072021.png )
1005178

>nations actively avoid claiming land to dodge pirates. How bad IS it? That or the areas are just completely devoid of any strategic value or natural resources.
Likely the latter. It is difficult to sustain colonies that are on islands that small and barren, so any major power would ignore them. I mean, I hope the pirate situation isn't that bad.

>Do pirates harass postal ships much?
"Do we have to worry about pirates?"
>"Rarely. Targeting mail transports is never profitable, as most things tend to be items of sentimental value. Pirates are only a real threat to ships carrying goods like spices, sugar, cotton, wool, honey, nectar, pollen, fruit, and so on. In other words, they will not bother you, unless they think you hold something of value."
"What if they wanted to commandeer the ship?"
>"Postal ships tend to be old after seeing decades of use, they are hardly worth the wood they are made from. Pirates have no use for them, and they wouldn't go through the effort of deconstruction.
g it. Once they see the Maritime Postal Alliance flag, they should think twice."

"Visiting islands in pairs at a time seems impossible without doubling back since there’s no direct route indicated between Fera and Picarta."
>"Oh, that's a mistake. You can go between those points."

>At first glance it looks like we have to circle the entire route one way or another to visit every island without wasting time.
"Should we travel an entire circle?"
>"I'd advise against it, especially if this is your first time."

"So, what about all the islands?"
>"I'll tell you about the first two while I look for a book to give you." He opens the drawer to his side and starts rummaging through. He strikes me as a bit disorganized for a Postmaster, then again he likely has lots to keep track of.
>"Alright. First off is Grandflores. Home to giant, harmless plant life. Strange in that like the old world, there are no naturally occurring mammals. Also unlike the old world is the lack of reptiles. Instead, the island is home to giant insects. Most notably, giant bees, who produce lots of goods. This attracted the attention of the Bacians and Dutsa, who have allied together and cooperate in harvesting honey, beeswax, nectar, pollen, and so on. They also build various plantations complimented by the rich soil. The Anomalies for this pinnacle are minimal, just the occasional stories about what happens if you get stung. Just stories."
He seems to find the book he was looking for and begins skimming for information on the next island.
>">Mamerti is a very secure and safe place. One of the biggest colonies in the Pinnacles. It has beautiful scenery, A big fortress that protects the place from invasions, non-dangerous plants, non-dangerous wildlife, and no recorded cases of naturally occurring anomalies. Places of interest Include markets, auctions, castles for nobles, Waterfalls, lakes and one Maximum security prison, for which none have ever escaped."
"That last one doesn't sound so delightful."
>"Maybe not, I'm just reading off a list. apparently, it's for a "Special kind of inmate." to which is not stated. Overall, the place seems very safe. if you want an easy first island, I recommend going here. It seems even hiring a guard here would be unnecessary."
It seems those are my first two options to choose from. I should start to think of which one to go to first and discuss it with Pilot. I'll bring it up with Ecoa too, but I doubt she cares which order we go in.
>>
No. 1005180 ID: 01031d

I think is better to start safe to get the grip of it. Let's go Mamerti first.
>>
No. 1005205 ID: 44b1b5

I say we go to Memerti, then Grandflores. I realize the suggested "threshold order" does make sense more from a safety standpoint, us being first-timers, especially once we realize that it doesn't matter how many steps it takes coming back after the route is "done."

What the prison classifies as "special" and what exactly the stories about the bee-stings entail would have been two points of interest before we leave - probably should have saved the tavern for after we came here. Maybe we can ask Ecoa and Riquar about those when we go to report our completed tasks?
>>
No. 1005213 ID: 96c896

>>1005178
We don't have time to hire a guard, so go to Mamerti. We can hire a guard there for the rest of the trip. We also won't need to get a knife like we were planning since Mamerti doesn't have difficult flora; we can shop there for that. That means our visited shops can be general store and library here.
>>
No. 1005230 ID: 2b1560
File 162587687957.png - (256.13KB , 800x600 , RTS09400072021.png )
1005230

>We don't have time to hire a guard, so go to Mamerti. We can hire a guard there for the rest of the trip
The plan is to hire a guard/guide on each location. Hiring one and bringing them across the whole trip would be way too expensive.

Eager to get going, I quickly get all the paperwork and approval done. It isn't too bad, mostly just signing a bunch of stuff, stamping the occasional form and writing things here and there.

"So, what was the last order of business you mentioned?"
He pulls out a box and puts it on the desk.
>"New company policy. All frontier post workers need to wear these."
"What for?"
There have been problems with impersonators. You may put it anywhere on your hat, satchel or belts. You don't need to put it on now, but you'll need to in the pinnacles. Take four, one for yourself and three for the rest of your crew."
>"My crew only has three."
"Really? I thought you were new?"
>"Ecoa told me three was all we needed."
"You're on a crew with her? In that case you have nothing to worry about. Now if that is all, I wish you the best of luck, and to do us proud."

Unless I had any last questions, I will find Ecoa and see what she's up to.
>>
No. 1005232 ID: 96c896

>>1005230
You could ask how to get on Ecoa's good side, since she's apparently a badass.
>>
No. 1005315 ID: 2b1560
File 162597217238.png - (234.95KB , 800x600 , RTS09500072021.png )
1005315

>You could ask how to get on Ecoa's good side, since she's apparently a badass.
"What do you know about Ecoa? Is there even a good side I can get on?"
>"Ecoa is... difficult to understand. She is grossly overqualified for this job, and I have no clue why she does it. Her past is a bit of a mystery and I suspect she avoids sharing it. As for a good side? I do not even think she has a bad side. I have never seen her treat anybody any less than cold." I guess in that case she doesn't treat me different from anyone else.

>Ask him for general advice. It's your first time going out there, after all. He must've made some trips himself, right?
"Can I ask you on advice on being out there? You must have some experience yourself, right?"
>"Interesting... Nobody ever asks me about my time in the New World. Everybody tends to have a pretty mixed experience. People hate the anomalies, the wildlife, the people. But as for myself?..."
>>
No. 1005316 ID: 2b1560
File 162597220787.png - (237.41KB , 800x600 , RTS09600072021.png )
1005316

>"Those were the best years of my life. And I would do it all again in a heartbeat."
"So what is your advice?"
>"My advice to you is that you go out there and discover your sense of adventure. We deliver mail, but that was never a reason to like it and keep coming back.”

I hear a crashing come down from the hallway, and my concern gets the best of me. It is about time I paid my crewmate a visit. I give the postmaster my farewells and make my way to the envelope room.
>>
No. 1005317 ID: 2b1560
File 162597223453.png - (337.30KB , 800x600 , RTS09700072021.png )
1005317

I walk into the sight of Ecoa doing the job, but something stands out.

"Ecoa?"
>"Yes."
"Is that a gun?"
>"Yes."
"Where did you get a gun?"
"Confiscated it."
>>
No. 1005319 ID: 2b1560
File 162597232919.png - (281.84KB , 800x600 , RTS09800072021.png )
1005319

Confiscated it from where?

"Ecoa! Give it back! pl-... It's an antique!"
What does a blind person need guns for anyway?
"I'll cut you a deal! I'll--"
CRASH
...
"...Whoops"

>"I'm busy. Pascoe, I'll give you the gun and you can deal with it. Unless you want to help."
>>
No. 1005324 ID: 96c896

>>1005319
Deal with it? Not sure what that even means. Offer to help, you know what THAT means at least.
>>
No. 1005328 ID: 15a025

I don't think I get what you mean by dealing with that. Helping out though, that we can do. Let's finish things up here, mail isn't going to deliver itself.
>>
No. 1005336 ID: 2aa5f0

well while you're here might as well let her know the paperwork is done and ready to go, you got route 4 and some advice on where to start, oh and the whole crew will need to wear badges while out on deliveries because apparently some people have been impersonating postal workers so these will let people know you guys are official postal workers and not frauds.
>>
No. 1005341 ID: 74c499

I'm normally not a fan of firearms, but this is an awesome gun! It does seem a bit long for her arms length.

Considering her earlier impatience, it's surprising we concluded our business here earlier than her.

"Sure I can help, as long as it doesn't involve attacking our coworkers."
"After whatever is keeping you occupy is dealt with remind me that I have a few things to discus with you and Pilot."
>>
No. 1005342 ID: 44b1b5

“I can help, sure. Got packages and paperwork done on my end. Oh, we’ve got new badges to wear that prove we’re legitimate - postmaster says there’s been an impersonation problem going on.”

“We’re on Route 4 this time, by the way. Since it’s my first time, the postmaster said we should do the route one threshold at a time, and I was hoping to hit Memerti first.”

“Once we’re done here, and we reach the shopping street, can I trust you to pick out general supplies while I outfit do some research on our destinations?”

(It was only stated that food and other supplies would skyrocket once we’re out there - if Ecoa decides that sending her to get those counts as one of our two remaining detours, we can still afford to wait until we reach Memerti or even Grandflores before arming ourselves.)
>>
No. 1005388 ID: 2b1560
File 162605904584.png - (339.16KB , 800x600 , RTS09900072021.png )
1005388

>Deal with it? Not sure what that even means. Offer to help, you know what THAT means at least.
"What did you mean by deal with it?"
>"Negotiate a deal with him. I figured you were a softie and wanted to give it back to him."
"Ohhhhh I was thinking... hah... never mind."
>"If shooting him was your first thought then maybe you're not such a softie after all."

I decide to give her a hand, the faster we can get this done the better.

"Just so you know, I have got all the packages in the cart, and all the paperwork done. He showed me some maps, he suggested we travel in two island thresholds before moving further north."
>"Sounds good."
"Would you mind if we went to Mamerti first?"
>"Mhm. Whatever you want."
"I was given a few badges we need to wear, apparently there's a problem with impersonators."
>"Works for me."
Amazingly, Ecoa does not ask any questions. Truly a model employee, but strangely, one whom I do not aspire to be.

“Once we’re done here, and we reach the shopping street, can I trust you to pick out general supplies while I do some research on our destinations?”
>"I can do that. You can decide to do whatever you want, I won't be strict so long as you're not wasting time."

>I'm normally not a fan of firearms, but this is an awesome gun! It does seem a bit long for her arm’s length.
Now that I look at it, it does seem rather... massive?

"So... that gun is quite... absolutely huge."
>"It was made for larger Aves. You should see what it was made to kill."
"Huh."
>"Wanna hold it?"
"Hell yeah let me hold it!"
>>
No. 1005389 ID: 2b1560
File 162605907062.png - (226.98KB , 800x600 , RTS10000072021.png )
1005389

"OOH"

The unexpected weight of the blunderbuss brings me to the ground.

"H-how were you holding something this heavy with one arm??"
>"I'm not answering personal questions."
"How is that a personal question???"
>"If you don't want to carry that around, you should trade it back to Riquar for something more your size."
"How many guns does he have?"
>"He's a collector. I’m sure he has more than just guns too if you wanted a crossbow or something."

We are nearly done with the work here, and just about ready to go to the market district. I can either trade this weapon in for something else or get used to carrying it around.
>>
No. 1005390 ID: a38353

ooh! Trade it for a crossbow, those are useful.
>>
No. 1005391 ID: 96c896

>>1005389
Dang, she's really strong huh? Maybe it's magic.
Yeah trade the gun for a smaller one. See what he's got.
>>
No. 1005392 ID: f8fa51

We don't want a weapon. We don't carry weapons, remember.
>>
No. 1005393 ID: 235ba5

Get used to carrying it. You'll adapt, right? ;)
>>
No. 1005394 ID: a2493c

>>1005389
It ain't ours, and he only ALMOST killed us. Let's give the lad his antique back and see if we can get us something less lethal, like a net gun or something.

Just because we're nonlethal doesn't mean we have to be stupid.
>>
No. 1005395 ID: a22e3e

I thought postal workers weren’t supposed to have weapons. Is it different out here?
>>
No. 1005396 ID: 44b1b5

We can trade it back to him if he has something not considered a weapon.
>>
No. 1005397 ID: 96c896

Postal workers can HAVE weapons. Postal workers can't USE weapons against people.
>>
No. 1005400 ID: d5825c

>>1005389
keep the blunder buster, if need be we can burry /tie it to a tree as a trap for armored aves or... to trap whatever it was made for..
>>
No. 1005405 ID: 74c499

As cool as it looks this doesn't seem all that useful.
If it's so heavy you can't hold with one hand you will only be able to aim with a tripod, and sadly it doesn't seem to come with one. The weight is also a problem to use it as an axe. It is very long for a fire arm, but for a poleaxe it's kind of short.
The only circumstance this could be useful is if we come across something that need an elephant gun to kill. Considering how much was emphasized the know and unknown dangers in our path it's possible we could have a few uses for this gun, but for most hostile encounters we would benefit more from something smaller.

"Why did you took this? Don't you want to keep it?"
>>
No. 1005414 ID: 01031d

I would say to trade it for some sort of hunting weapon (probably a rifle). We can't use it against people, but there is dangerous fauna.

I prefer to solve things non-violently, but if a savage beast would want to eat my head I would hope to have something to protect me and my companions.

Crossbows are nice and powerful, but the sound of the gunpowder has it's uses too.
>>
No. 1005476 ID: 2b1560
File 162615833622.png - (261.91KB , 800x600 , RTS10100072021.png )
1005476

"Why did you take this? Don't you want to keep it?"
>"Wanted to teach him a lesson. I don't think he'll learn, so just trade it back to him for something more useful."

>I thought postal workers weren’t supposed to have weapons.
>We don't want a weapon. We don't carry weapons, remember.
We can own and carry weapons, We just can't use them. owning something as a deterrent isn't a bad idea. Better yet, something non-lethal I can use.
>Get used to carrying it. You'll adapt, right?
I deliver mail, not guns for giants!
>for most hostile encounters we would benefit more from something smaller.
>We can trade it back to him if he has something not considered a weapon.
This sounds ideal, unless I find a strong weapon of considerable non-lethal use, if such a thing exists.

Finding Riquar proves to be an easy task as his presence is accompanied by the sound of boxes crashing to the ground. I decide that I'll be the first to speak up.

"Hello."
>"Chimera! am I glad to see-- meet you! Say, do you know where Ecoa went, by chance?"
"I met with her just now, she gave me this ridiculous hand cannon."
>"Thank god. You should be much easier to negotiate with. Have a name? I can't keep saying chimera, you keep reminding me of her... ugh… whatever."
"You can call me Pascoe."
>"Alright, Pascoe, what do you want for it?"

>I would say to trade it for some sort of hunting weapon (probably a rifle). We can't use it against people, but there is dangerous fauna.
I'll ask about it but I won't keep my hopes up.
"how about a rifle? Something more my size."
>"I own a few, some even work. really precise and have far range, but they take long to load and clean. You're better off with a smoothbore."
>ooh! Trade it for a crossbow, those are useful.
"What about a crossbow? Something small I can carry under a coat?"
>"I'd gladly part ways with a crossbow, but I don't keep any in my gun collection... however..."
>>
No. 1005477 ID: 2b1560
File 162615835159.png - (162.49KB , 800x600 , RTS10200072021.png )
1005477

>It ain't ours, and he only ALMOST killed us.
I think saying he almost killed me is far too dramatic. However, his intent was obviously to frighten me, or whichever chimera he thought I was.

He takes off his hat and pulls a key out from underneath.
"Instead of parting me with my collection, how would you like something from the contraband room?"
>"Is that allowed?"
"If you're discreet about it! there is a build-up of stuff from decades of accumulation. We don't have a state power to relinquish it to like most post offices, so here it all stays. Workers take stuff from there all the time, and nobody is going to notice if one or two things go missing."
I'm certainly not a stickler for the rules, and I'd gladly take him up on that offer.
"What's in there?"
>"Where do you think I get the guns from? There are swords, spears, suits of armor, it’s practically an armory mixed in with a bunch of other lost and found stuff. If you're not convinced, we can go have a look."
"How much can I take?"
>"Get something for yourself and maybe a couple other things for your crew. Not too much, I don't want anybody noticing."

It wouldn’t hurt to look, I wonder what I’d find most useful. If I do not want a weapon or tool, I could always look for something harmless like a new coat.
>>
No. 1005478 ID: 8483cf

Find pants. Pants are important.

So few aves are wearing pants, they must be a sign of great wealth.
>>
No. 1005479 ID: 96c896

Well, first off we need something to help with traversing the jungle. Secondly, it wouldn't hurt to get something appropriate for rough weather. Thirdly, get a couple of things your crewmates would like. Ecoa won't need a "deterrent", obviously...

Personally I'm not sure how a gun is supposed to be a deterrent in a postman's hands. Doesn't everyone know postal workers aren't allowed to use weapons?
>>
No. 1005483 ID: 74c499

I don't know what we should be looking for exactly.
For basic necessities I guess a machete to cut vegetation.
If non-lethal deterrents if our priority I would prefer bolas to a net. It's more intimidating and if used well it works better.
To deal with beasts in the wilderness, definitely a rifle.
For personal defense in a more urban environment I would go for a pistol. Several if possible.


>>1005479
>Personally I'm not sure how a gun is supposed to be a deterrent in a postman's hands. Doesn't everyone know postal workers aren't allowed to use weapons?

I suppose it's well know that most people would prefer to lose their job than their lives.
Not to mention it would only be a problem if they got caught, and for similar reason most criminals would chose discreet circumstances to confront their targets.
Also this could be a loosely enforced rule or even officially allowed if the courier have a justifiable reason to do it.
>>
No. 1005488 ID: 96c896

Oh, ask him what he looked at that broke his eyes.
>>
No. 1005505 ID: 2aa5f0

well might as well go take a look and see what catches your eye.

>>1005488
pretty sure he said one of the side effects of the thing that took his eyes was you can't remember what exactly took them only that looking at it took them.
>>
No. 1005512 ID: d5825c

>>1005478
but "we" move much better without clothing AND on all fours
>>
No. 1005591 ID: 2b1560
File 162634181553.png - (337.86KB , 800x600 , RTS10300072021.png )
1005591

>Personally I'm not sure how a gun is supposed to be a deterrent in a postman's hands. Doesn't everyone know postal workers aren't allowed to use weapons?
One would be amazed at how little others know about the rules. I personally find the rules strange, but I understand why they are in place.
>Find pants. Pants are important.
Pants are no fit for me, I am no noble or king! Besides, I'd look silly in a pair of extravagant pantaloons.

>Oh, ask him what he looked at that broke his eyes.
"So… The eye thing isn't a touchy subject at all, is it?"
>"Not at all. It's a good conversation piece I find. After all, talking to others is one of the things I can still enjoy."
"What broke them again?"
>"A beast that lives on one of the islands. Forgot what it looked like shortly after seeing it. Happens to everyone apparently. which route are you on?"
"Route four"
>"Then you don't have to worry about bumping into it. Also, I don't know if 'broken' is the correct word, my eyeballs are still there and everything and I can still open my eyelids, but my eyes just won't work. If you want I can show you them, I just keep them shut because it’s a waste of energy keeping them open all the time. "
>>
No. 1005592 ID: 2b1560
File 162634183503.png - (258.97KB , 800x600 , RTS10400072021.png )
1005592

He inserts his key into the door and it swings open, revealing a room filled with shelves stacked with items. I can make out weapons as well as containers of goods, cloth, barrels, jackets, rope, bottles, anything I could possibly look for really. I also see a few suits of armor that look menacing and mean... I wonder if they would make me look menacing and mean?

"Alright buddy, take your pick. We're both busy so be brief. And don't expect feedback from me if you're modelling clothes."

I'll likely only pick 3 items, I only really feel slight consideration for my crew as Pilot doesn't leave the ship and Ecoa doesn't strike me as particularly materialistic or vulnerable.
>>
No. 1005595 ID: 8a444d

I think a crossbow and a hunting rifle you can manage are good picks. Rifles are more powerful but powder is vulnerable to water and that can be bad. For the last piece you could search if you see something interesting. Maybe we can pick here the machete.

I wouldn't consider a pistol unless there are no more interesing things. Pistols are for self-defense against people and that's the thing we are not suposed to use it (though can be helpful as secondary weapon).

About the monster, the most important thing "¿How do you avoid a creature that steals your senses when you sense it?" I hope the response is not "Go with only one eye open to minimize damages"
>>
No. 1005597 ID: 74c499

Three is a very generous amount.

How about a crossbow, a rifle and a sword? Those offer some versatility if you keep them and would also work well if distributed with the team. Their use might cost you your job though...

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

Does any of the jackets look like they could offer resistance to projectiles or slashes? You could use some light protective gear.
The cannon is interesting. Any possibility of naval battles or giant sea monsters?
There is this awesome halberd. Maybe not the most logical pick but it's worth just for the cool factor.
>>
No. 1005601 ID: ce39da

I don’t think we need more than one overt weapon if they’re only deterents. See if you can find a MACHETE in here - that’s technically not a weapon. I’m sure someone’s also misused a FLARE GUN at some point. It’s kinda hard to bluff with a crossbow without actually loading it - The tools I just described would both work better in that regard (and we have the option of actually using them!) - so forgo it (and whatever normal guns we can pass the flare launcher off as anyway), and get an REINFORCED JACKET for protection. We can keep it all stashed away until after we depart and claim we bought them somewhere to whoever asks.

Say, why did all this armor get confiscated, anyway? What makes armor contraband?
>>
No. 1005603 ID: 2aa5f0

...is this post office planning on going to war? Because DAMN! I mean, just... damn.

As for what to get... what are you familiar with? Because if you don't know how to handle weapons I'd say go for easy to use/learn weapons.

I'm thinking get either an axe like a hatchet or a dagger/knife and some kind of long range weapon, gun or crossbow doesn't really matter to me though a handgun might be good if you're looking to have something discreet...ish. Also the hatchet/knife can have more utility uses as well incase you do need them for that or if you just need to bullshit an official or higher ranked post bird than you who's a stickler for the rules.

as for anything none gun related... uh, yeah kinda don't know what you need for the trip plus I believe you're going to stop by the market before leaving anyways, no real reason to get anything valuable as I'm not sure where you'd trade it anyways plus it might attract attention from someone who wouldn't minding stealing it from you. So all I can think of is either see if you can't find a nice bottle of booze you can stow away for a rainy day or a hat you wouldn't mind wearing seeing how hats seem to be the only piece of clothing you're comfortable wearing for long periods of time.

>"Then you don't have to worry about bumping into it. Also, I don't know if 'broken' is the correct word, my eyeballs are still there and everything and I can still open my eyelids, but my eyes just won't work. If you want I can show you them, I just keep them shut because it’s a waste of energy keeping them open all the time. "
sure why not, I'll admit I'm somewhat curious to see if the markings it left on your eye lids will also be on his eyeballs.
>>
No. 1005615 ID: a38353

I spy a crossbow!

And enough ordinance to start a revolution holy shit.
>>
No. 1005620 ID: 894419

>>1005592
A spear, a crossbow, and rifle seem like balanced choices.
>>
No. 1005623 ID: a2493c

Shield and spear, maybe a bag of ball-bearings or something to dissuade close-up attackers.

Spears are easy to use and very effective, and our priority is defense so the shield will similarly help us out here.
>>
No. 1005678 ID: 76d117

If you want to fight a war, depending on expected tech level for local repairs and resupply, than spear and big shield or big polearm with some mix of pokey/choppy/hookey/slashy bits, or huge crossbow of one sort of another or two handed long firearm with bayonet. But you don't want to fight a war, now do you?? All that stuff is an absolute bitch to carry!!
>>
No. 1005683 ID: 76d117

My serious suggestion is this: let's not go too crazy! What has survival utility that's smallish? Machete, Flaregun, Hunting Slingshot or Sling, Survival/utility Tomahawk that happens to be balanced to make throwing feasible. Make sure to also get something to hold whatever it is you get, and any ammunition it might need, where it's easy to draw the item, and (most importantly!) the edge of the machete or tomahawk or whatever won't be digging into your side! Also, protip: back sheathes for objects longer than your forearm don't work unless they are REALLY cleverly designed!
>>
No. 1005691 ID: 235ba5

The only real advantage you have at the moment is your speedy nature, and you are forbidden from wielding weapons anyhow, so I'd grab something with some utility (like a MACHETE). As for armor, we need to keep your legs, arms, shoulders etc... clear to keep your advantage, so something like a BREASTPLATE will keep your important bits from getting mulched too easily without impeding your mobility (just the breastplate is manageable in terms of weight, especially once you're used to it). Something else that would be helpful would be a helmet, but you've got to keep that hat on, don't you?
Third pick would be the STRANGEST OBJECT in there, in your personal opinion. Particularly anything strange that seems related to the unusual nature of the new world.
>>
No. 1005700 ID: 76d117

As far as armor goes, you want a manageable torso armor thing. A gambeson, or buff coat, maybe a cuirass. A jack of plates or a brigandine would be an okay top layer alternative to a back and front breastplate or a cuirass -- but you only want a relatively light 'lots of metal top layer' and only then if you can find a functional soft bottom layer to go with it. Otherwise, go for a 'the whole thing is soft armor' design. See if you can find something relatively cut down in general, overheating will be an issue.
>>
No. 1005709 ID: 8a444d

Is that a Machine Gun Caliber 7.62 mm M60? I am sure it is :)
>>
No. 1005712 ID: 76d117

>>1005709

Even if one of the reality storms brought such a weapon to them, would they have the ammunition to keep it fed?! Also think of the weight! If you want a weapon from that place and era, WITH ammunition, then the M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon would be more ideal, since it's more a light utility and hunting weapon than a squad support weapon, AND the ammo is much lighter!
>>
No. 1005750 ID: 2b1560
File 162653290329.png - (264.52KB , 800x600 , RTS10500072021.png )
1005750

"How do you avoid a creature that steals your senses when you sense it?"
>"Luck mostly. Mine was bad. In retrospect I should have covered my eyes and blocked my ears."

>why did all this armor get confiscated, anyway? What makes armor contraband?
I don't think it was contraband, more likely stored as a lost and found object.
>The cannon is interesting. Any possibility of naval battles or giant sea monsters?
I sure hope not.

>There is this awesome halberd.
>A spear
>Shield and spear
>Spears are easy to use and very effective, and our priority is defence so the shield will similarly help us out here.
I'm not exactly up against the cavalry! I don't need to carry a pole weapon or shield around everywhere when there are substitutes I can better conceal and carry.

>How about a crossbow, a rifle and a sword? Those offer some versatility if you keep them and would also work well if distributed with the team.
This sounds like a good idea; I will set out to look for something of each.

>I think a crossbow and a hunting rifle you can manage are good picks.
>I spy a crossbow!
>huge crossbow
There is indeed a large selection of crossbows. The main benefits I can see is one being silent, easily concealable, easy to operate as well as many creative options for projectiles.
>Flaregun
With a crossbow I could use fireworks or flares for some kind of blinding projectile, or black powder for making smoke clouds. Plenty of potential depending on how creative I am willing to get.
>>
No. 1005751 ID: 2b1560
File 162653293297.png - (300.53KB , 800x600 , RTS10600072021.png )
1005751

>As far as armor goes, you want a manageable torso armor thing.
>BREASTPLATE
>Something else that would be helpful would be a helmet, but you've got to keep that hat on, don't you?
>Do any of the jackets look like they could offer resistance to projectiles or slashes? You could use some light protective gear.
I see many kinds of clothes, mostly jackets, mostly huge ones. They could certainly ward off a few scrapes and fend off the elements while being light. If I want something heavier, I can see a few armored chest pieces that wouldn't restrict my movements too much while potentially saving me from anything short of musket fire. I see a few helmets that would not need me to sacrifice my hat, so luckily it won't be an issue!
>I'm thinking get either an axe like a hatchet or a dagger/knife and some kind of long range weapon.
>See if you can find a MACHETE in here - that’s technically not a weapon
I see MANY machetes, and various other sharp items for that matter. Some considered weapons but none that can't avoid being used that way. I can get a sabre or cutlass which are much more wieldy than something more suited for chopping, or I can choose a machete or kukri which would be great for cutting plants and vines but not so favourable for a potential encounter, not that I could use a sword effectively in the first place. Most look like they fit a holster of some kind, so I wouldn't have to worry about that.
>>
No. 1005752 ID: 2b1560
File 162653296536.png - (301.08KB , 800x600 , RTS10700072021.png )
1005752

>the STRANGEST OBJECT in there, in your personal opinion.
I do almost miss it, but I find a small unassuming box containing three different colored musket balls each assigned a paper cartridge. A note inside reads; 'CURSED ALLOY. ONLY USE UPON LIEUTENANT PERMISSION OR HIGHER' I have no clue what these are for or what each of them do, but I do find it peculiar.

>two handed long firearm with bayonet
>Rifles are more powerful but powder is vulnerable to water and that can be bad
I don’t see myself relying on gunpower in the first place, but I’ll still look for a container that won’t be compromised by the elements. I look around for a rifled weapon and spot one that catches my eye. It has four lenses with a painted red dot in the middles. They all appear on the side though, so I enquire the receptionist.
"I found something. A rifle with a bunch of lenses hanging off the side."
>"There should be a tab on the back of the faceplate, press it down."
>>
No. 1005753 ID: 2b1560
File 162653298766.png - (311.67KB , 800x600 , RTS10800072021.png )
1005753

I do as he says and each of the lenses individually readjust themselves each accompanied by a delightful 'clink' noise.
"Woah. Now we're talking."
>"It appears you've found a lensed rifle. A nice find if you ask me. They were made for precise long-range shooting for exceptional marksaves. They say bloodshots could use them to shoot someone from a pinnacle over."
"Is this even practical?"
>"They weren't with practicality in mind. Some gunsmiths hold the belief that the more moving parts a gun has, the more expensive it'll be. Counting all the interior leafsprings and mechanical components? there's about two dozen moving parts. The belief isn't without merit apparently, those guns can be pretty costly. A few gibbous for sure, maybe a moon for the fancy engraved ones. Another case of 'interesting theory, happens to work.' if you ask me. "
"Could I really sell it for that much?"
>"On the ridge? Not a chance. anybody here will lowball you for it. If you want to sell it, do it anywhere else."
I have narrowed my choices down to:
-A gunpowder weapon
-A crossbow
-A sharp item for cutting
-a chest piece
-Three mystery bullets
I'll need to decide which 3 to go for.
>>
No. 1005759 ID: 235ba5

Chestpiece.

Spooky bullets. As they're intended for military use we can assume they're particularly effective. As they apparently require "LIEUTENANT PERMISSION" we can assume cursed alloy is expensive, dangerous, or both. Don't ask Riquar what cursed alloy is, because you couldn't lie your way out of explaining why you're asking. Ask someone on the crew, or maybe that artifact guy if you can find him before you head back to the ship.

While you may lack the experience to use it to its fullest at the moment, the Lensed Rifle.
(And while you are only taking three things, I don't suppose you could pocket some cartridges of the un-cursed variety as well?)
>>
No. 1005771 ID: 2aa5f0

Some ranged weapon, either crossbow or gunpowder don't really mind which though I am leaning towards the crossbow as that will probably be easier to maintain than a gun. though if you do go for the gun, the lensed rifle has kinda won me over.

only other thing I think you could get is one of the sharp objects. Utility is nice to have and when things get bad and the bad things get close even a dull knife can be more helpful then a rifle once said bad thing is in your face.

Third object I don't really have any preference.
>>
No. 1005790 ID: 74c499

Cursed bullets and a precise long range rifle are the perfect combination. I'm a bit concern the fancy gun will attract thieves, but at the same time those will be treasures if you manage to complete the trip without losing them.
Unfortunately we have a long journey ahead, and the risk of walking around with something eye-catching would accompany us the entire way.

Since concealment seem to be a concern let's go with pistol, jacket and cursed bullets.
The crossbow would probable be a more practical pick than the bullets, but we might come across one later while the same cannot be said about cursed projectiles.
Machetes are useful but common and cheap. We can buy one anywhere.

And don't mention the content of the box to anyone. Since Riquar is blind he might not be aware of what the written warning say, making it likely that no one will even know you are caring such interesting objects.
>>
No. 1005791 ID: a38353

Get the crossbow.
>>
No. 1005810 ID: ce39da

The chest piece and sharp thing won't get you blacklisted - since we already have a rain jacket, I suggest a BREASTPLATE and KUKRI. That guy at the bar said it was better for cutting lots of foliage, right?

Other than that, I suggest just grabbing the most expensive thing there to sell later, with no intention actually to use it. For this, I suggest the LENSED RIFLE.

I, uh... get the feeling the cursed rounds would be considered contraband by everyone, not just our pacifist organization. Therefore, they're too hot even to attempt selling, much less use, at least for our first trip; we should return to this if we manage to secure info on a fence for an imminent route in the future.
>>
No. 1005812 ID: 96c896

The cursed alloy bullets sound like some kind of war crime, don't take them.

Crossbow sounds super useful even in a noncombat scenario.
That sighted rifle looks intimidating, it's good for a deterrent.
A breastplate should come in handy if you're going to get in any combat at all.

I changed my mind about trying to get a machete for vines. If we hire a guard at a port with troublesome flora, they'll have what we need to get through. And we can just get a machete where we need it.
>>
No. 1005846 ID: 6519cb

Stay away from the cursed rounds.
Do make sure you can acquire ordinary rounds, on the other hand.
>>
No. 1005847 ID: 86aaf2

Crossbow, chestpiece, cutting weapon
>>
No. 1005854 ID: 15a025

We need the small crossbow for sure.
>>
No. 1005898 ID: 9a2966

Something sharp. A chest piece. The bullets.
>>
No. 1005905 ID: 86aaf2

Oh! If you get the crossbow, as part of getting it, can you get some interesting and utility-style trick bolts?

Also, is there a non horrible design for a lever-cocked repeating crossbow around here somewhere? Something with a decent amount of power, near the limit of what you can pull back with the integrated lever, and which can actually be usefully sighted down and aimed?
>>
No. 1005942 ID: 8a444d

A gunpowder weapon, a crossbow and a sharp item for cutting.

That lensed rifle is a once in life option. Seems to have great range and that's what the crossbow lacks. That range could be an ace up your sleeve. The bad part is the practice you will need too make it useful and that many little parts makes it a hell to repair and need lots of care to not rust. If you don't want to commit to that weapon, you can sell it latter and buy an armor or what you need.

The crossbow is probably the best ranged option. Is good for hunting and more easy to mantain.

Finally the cutting weapon. I know that is a bad reason to pick a weapon, but a sable would looks fabolous in you, complements the shape of your beak. Though it's still better the machete because carring a sable could make the impresion that you know how to use it(and probably atract more dualist)
>>
No. 1005970 ID: 2b1560
File 162667684540.png - (269.37KB , 800x600 , RTS10900072021.png )
1005970

After much deliberation I decide to go for a crossbow, the rifle and a breastplate.
The crossbow I picked was the shortest I can find while also the most effective. A lever mechanism seems to be present instead of a stirrup, which works for me. I am able to keep this hidden very easily and use it much more quietly than a gun.
The rifle is effective at longer ranges and a good intimidation factor. I am unable to carry it discretely, so I'll need to decide when I want to bring it with me. If I decide I don't like it, I can sell it or trade it for something preferable.
Lastly, the breastplate would provide protection against most attacks against my vital organs. A little unusual for a post worker to have, but I can very easily conceal it under my raincoat if I don't want to attract the attention. I don't want to overheat in this thing and I also don't want it to rust, so I need to decide when to bring it with me.

I decide not to enquire out loud about the cursed rounds, although they do pique my curiosity. I decide to hide them somewhere in the room just in case.
I tell Riquar my choices out loud.

"So, what do you think about my choices?"
>"I can't tell if you're prepared or paranoid, not that it's necessarily bad to be either out there."
"To be fair my choices were mostly weapons. you could arm a militia with this room."
>"You joke but it happened once. It's practically tradition for a riot to start at least once a month. So we just had to start telling people we destroy contraband instead of keeping it. Anyway, you didn't take more than those three things, did you?"
"Nope."
>"I'm trusting you. From my experience chimeras are at least trustworthy. Not that I've met many. Just you and the other... ugh, you keep reminding me of... her."
"Who's her?"
>"I just... You're going on route 4, right? What if... could you..."
He falls silent, before continuing.
>"Never mind. We are even now, and you don't owe me anything. You got enough on your hands already."

I ask him if I can take some ammunition for the rifle and some things for the crossbow. He lets me know that despite the number of guns, not much ammo gets sent through. He lets me have 5 free shots for each weapon.

I can ask him any burning questions but I am just about ready to move on. I might need to enquire Ecoa about the cursed alloy bullets and how to actually use a gun, and assuming she's finished we're ready to pick-up last-minute supplies and leave.
>>
No. 1005972 ID: 74c499

I'm not all that eager to do favors for this guy, but I'm curious about the possibility of meeting someone of our own kind.
"Would this favor have something to do with your chimera friend?"
>>
No. 1005973 ID: 96c896

>>1005970
Tell him to speak up. He can owe you one in exchange for whatever he wants you to do.
>>
No. 1005976 ID: ce39da

"Maybe you can tell me what you wanted, and I'll decide whether I'll do it if it ever comes up?"
>>
No. 1005985 ID: 2b1560
File 162671137702.png - (183.77KB , 800x600 , RTS11000072021.png )
1005985

"Would this favor have something to do with your chimera friend?"
>"It would have... but I thought it through. You can forget it."
"Maybe you can tell me what you wanted, and I'll decide whether I'll do it if it ever comes up?"
>"Look, I think we can both agree that I'm not a good person. Over the years, some even post-blindness, I have treated some people pretty badly."
"uh-huh, like me?"
>"Of all of them? You don't even make the top twenty. This chimera? Easily number one. I have had a lot of time to do self-reflection these past couple of years and I've realized how big a pain I was. I never spoke to her after the whole ordeal, but if I could, I'd apologize. I was thinking of asking you to let her know I'm sorry, but an apology that impersonal is as good as worthless."
"What do you know about her?"
"I don't know where she lives, what she looks like, what type of chimera she was or even if she is still alive. Whatever. If you see an unusually chipper deaf chimera with a scarf, I guess tell me about it when you get back. I'd like to know if she's alright, if that's alright."

I don't see the harm in it. I think I'm just about ready to move on. I'll put all this stuff in the cart for now and we'll see how we go. We are getting close!
>>
No. 1005986 ID: ce39da

"You're right; a 'sorry' by proxy is no apology at all. However, I'll let you know if I ever see her or, um... learn her fate. Assuming the worst hasn't happened, I can also let her know that you want to apologize, at the very least."

Our business here is done. Be sure to stash the stuff you picked out in the cart.
>>
No. 1005991 ID: 74c499

We have an oral message to deliver: "Blind post officer want to apologize to you."

What's next? Are we going to look for the map guy in the library?
>>
No. 1005997 ID: ce39da

>>1005991
Explicitly not oral; she's deaf, remember. Maybe we can have him dictate a letter we can write down?
>>
No. 1006041 ID: 2b1560
File 162681060085.png - (366.64KB , 800x600 , RTS11100072021.png )
1006041

I don't see the harm in letting him know if I see this person, so I let him know if I see them kicking or if they have perished. Whether I relay his want for an apology might depend on how receptive this individual would be. I trade him the blunderbuss and thank him for the transaction.

I make my way outside where I see Ecoa tightening a big cloth over all the mail.
>"You're back. Looks like you got some souvenirs."
"Just some stuff that seems like it could be useful down the line."
>"Could come in handy. Throw it in the back and we'll get a move on to the market."
I stash away the stuff underneath the cloth and get ready to pull the cart, only realizing how heavy it has now become.

"sheesh, I didn't expect this to weigh so much."
>"Is it too much for you?"
"Nah, I can manage... I think..."
>"I'll walk. We should get this over and done with."
"We don't have to bring this everywhere, right?"
>"Not at all. We deliver everything by hand when we're at the ports. We might only use this for the more remote places."
>>
No. 1006042 ID: 2b1560
File 162681062873.png - (182.91KB , 800x600 , RTS11200072021.png )
1006042

"One thing I'm curious about, do you know anything about cursed alloy?"
>"I know that they are extremely dangerous, extremely rare and extremely illegal. Despite their existence being known for decades, little is known about their effects. Unapproved possession of cursed alloy or unapproved refining of cursed metals will get you hanged. No questions asked. The only approved uses are for high-ranking military officials, royalty or nobility and a small selection of fringe cases such as high-profile hunters. Not even scientists and researchers can get their hands on it. If you ever saw what one of those things could do, I think you would understand why. Why do you bring it up?"
"No reason." Maybe it was a good thing I didn't take those.
>>
No. 1006043 ID: 2b1560
File 162681064375.png - (331.82KB , 800x600 , RTS11300072021.png )
1006043

We start to make our move to our second last stop, or at least we try to before we notice a group of aves blocking the entrance of the market district with their presence. They soon take notice of us and the large one seems interested in getting out attention.
>"Looks like we have some new faces. Don't worry, we don't want to waste your time. We are just here to take what we've come for. We can skip the formalities. show me what is in the cart, and we'll let you through."

I look over to Ecoa, but she seems completely uninterested in addressing the situation. It could be that she doesn't care what happens one way or the other. Who are these guys and what do they want?
>>
No. 1006044 ID: e51896

Just follow Ecoa's lead.
>>
No. 1006047 ID: 96c896

>>1006043
Show em what's in the cart. It's mail. Mostly.
>>
No. 1006052 ID: ce39da

> New faces.
They aren't waiting for you specifically. They're looking for something coming through here but don't know who has it. Probably isn't those "return to sender" packages, assuming that's a known trick.

Assuming you can meet up with the map-maker at the library, you'll probably have to hide whatever it is he hands you extra well.

For now, follow Ecoa's lead.
>>
No. 1006053 ID: 235ba5

With Ecoa's help it may not be inconceivable to throw down, but there's no point starting a fight at this juncture.

Let them peruse your cart, but gently remind them that this is mail, so to be gentle about it. Try and sniff out their names and affiliation. If they try and yoink any packages don't stop them, but remember every single detail about the package in question, and the ave taking it.
>>
No. 1006054 ID: 96c896

I bet they're checking the cart to make sure their quarry isn't hiding in it.
>>
No. 1006056 ID: 2aa5f0

pull back tarp and let them take a quick look and hopefully continue on your way?
>>
No. 1006085 ID: 2b1560
File 162686664276.png - (243.65KB , 800x600 , RTS11400072021.png )
1006085

>Just follow Ecoa's lead.
That's just it, she doesn't seem to want to lead. She is probably satisfied in getting today's job out the way. I keep looking at her, prompting any sort of response.

>"What? I don't care what happens. So long as they don't take anything."
I shrug and address my next words to the axe holding ave.

>I bet they're checking the cart to make sure their quarry isn't hiding in it.
That seems to make the most sense at this point.
>Let them peruse your cart, but gently remind them that this is mail, so to be gentle about it. Try and sniff out their names and affiliation.
"We don't have anything you'd want to take... I don't know what you'd want to do with a bunch of envelopes."
>"Don't worry. We're not looking for sentimental love letters or cooking recipes. Even if there's anything valuable under there, we wouldn't take it. Despite some of our brutish appearances, we are completely legitimate."
"If that's the case, what are you looking for?"
>"One of our informants has it on good authority that several high value bounties are lurking this ridge town."
"So you are head hunters?"
>"We prefer bounty hunters, but yes. We take pride in our honest work. You might be able to help us out, think you could identify the whereabouts of any of the targets listed on the bounties? It would help us a lot, from one honest worker to another. We can compensate you if you can lead us right to any targets. Keep in mind that we like to take our targets alive, especially if it means a bigger payout."

I give the ok for looking under the tarp. The delay shouldn't be too long. The bounty hunter offers to let me look through the stack of bounties for aves supposedly in the area. I can accept or decline if I'm not interested in being a snitch. Might still be interesting to see who's wanted though.
>>
No. 1006091 ID: 2aa5f0

eh, just show them what's under the tarp. If they're legit that means you'll get to get moving sooner when they wave you through, if not and they try something, while telling them no isn't going to cause less problems so again might as well let them look if only to move on to the next headache.
>>
No. 1006092 ID: ce39da

Let them proceed; good riddance if they do somehow find a stowaway hiding there. No harm in perusing the bounties, even if we don't deliver - more info is always good.
>>
No. 1006096 ID: 8a444d

I am prety sure that if we look that list we will recognize certain tan ave who helped us (Faspan). These nice bounty hunters might be those from whom that ave was hiding.

I would prefer to not intervene, but we are already doing are since we agreed to help Faspan before. We can take a look and if they detect our reaction we can always say we saw someone who looked like him near a tabern (which is not untrue).

If they are searching for that ave, I want to know what he has done. I don't want to sell him, but if we are going to help him I want to know what we are getting into from the two sides of the story.
>>
No. 1006105 ID: 96c896

>>1006085
Don't look at the bounties. You're already helping a probably-wanted man. It's best to stay neutral anyway.
>>
No. 1006196 ID: 4a7485

Just decline the bounties, none of our business
>>
No. 1006313 ID: 15a025

Eh... We may want to look through the bounties. Not to be looking for trouble though, looking at who we should be avoiding.
>>
No. 1006324 ID: a0fbee

You lie like you fight, which is to say as if you never have before. Just don't look at the bounties and you have plausible deniability.
>>
No. 1006590 ID: 2b1560
File 162752671173.png - (260.58KB , 800x600 , RTS11500072021.png )
1006590

>You lie like you fight, which is to say as if you never have before.
I'm sure I could get good at both! Just because I've never been in a fight doesn't mean I don't stand a good chance!
>Don't look at the bounties. You're already helping a probably-wanted ave. It's best to stay neutral anyway.
I don't know who I'd be helping exactly, but I'd want to know what he did before deciding whether I want to assist him or not.
>No harm in perusing the bounties, even if we don't deliver - more info is always good.
>We may want to look through the bounties. Not to be looking for trouble though, looking at who we should be avoiding.
I decide it best to have a brief look through while I wait for them to look under the tarp.

"Alright I'll have a look through, but I can't guarantee I've seen any, I haven't been here long."
>"That's fine. We don't have many leads so even a little bit of information can help."

He opens his satchel and pulls out a stack of bounty papers. The one on top does jump out just a little.

AMBER EYES OF EVIL
Possessor of the amber eyes of evil.
ALIVE ONLY
DANGER RATING: UNKNOWN
Who holds these eyes is unknown. They are of considerable use to the interested parties.
Description: Amber colored eyes with upside-down 'Y' shaped pupils. No other information is known.

"Amber eyes of evil? Who is this?"
>"Nobody knows who possesses the eyes, we're just looking for them."
"What did this person do?"
>"The bounty doesn't say. I presume nothing. I don't know much about the eyes of evil, just that they are very useful in the right hands. Despite how little information there is on the target and it being alive only, the payout is the most generous we have seen in a while."
"Woah, you get moons for handing this person in? I've never even seen one moon"
>"Someone somewhere really wants those eyes."
"What do they do?"
>"Not a clue."
>>
No. 1006591 ID: 2b1560
File 162752673097.png - (451.02KB , 800x600 , RTS11600072021.png )
1006591

I flick through more bounties and make note of some that I see. I notice each picture has a different colored border around it, so I ask the bounty hunter about it.
>"Border color represents urgency. Grey means there isn't really any rush, you could take years to catch them if you wanted to. Red means they want the person caught within the month or under a year, usually only reserved for violent repeat offenders. Gilded means the target is special and needs to be captured with some urgency. They aren't always criminals, sometimes they have something important enough for empires to pursue them.

LUGWERE IV
Death conductor
DEAD OR ALIVE
DANGER RATING: FIVE STARS
Wanted for direct opposition to Bacish and Fetzian military forces. Opposition includes the defeat of several armed strongholds and the scuttling of a naval ship. While turning him in alive is optional, it is preferred he be turned in dead.
Description: Medium size. Dark grey feathers. Blind right eye. Seen usually wearing a coat and scarf. Seen carrying an instrument.

TRASKS
Fera poacher
DEAD OR ALIVE
DANGER RATING: TWO STARS
Wanted for arson. Yeah That sounds about right. It is preferred he be brought in alive.
Description: Medium-small size. Orange feathers with cream accents. Brown eyes. Chip on right side of beak. usually seen wearing pith hat. Armed with matchlock rifle.
>>
No. 1006592 ID: 2b1560
File 162752675514.png - (499.38KB , 800x600 , RTS11700072021.png )
1006592

FASPAN
Rogue inventor
ALIVE ONLY
DANGER RATING: NONE
Description: Medium size. Tan feathers. Yellow eyes.
Interestingly it doesn't state what crime he committed.

AKARO
Assassin
DEAD OR ALIVE
DANGER RATING: THREE STARS
Wanted for assassination of Sienish nobles and attempted assassination of Romuon military leader.
Description: Medium size. Peach feathers with brown accents. Orange eyes. Almost always seen wearing metal helmet and armor. Almost always seen carrying sword. Likes floral shirts.
>>
No. 1006593 ID: 2b1560
File 162752676993.png - (287.03KB , 800x600 , RTS11800072021.png )
1006593

I do my best to hide my reaction upon seeing those I did recognize; however, I do get the feeling that he might have picked up on it.

>"See someone?"
"Uhhhhhh hard to tell. All aves look so alike!"
>"Is that a chimera thing? Guess I--"

CRASH

The sound of a large impact rears around the corner and wood splinters fly everywhere. A dust cloud begins to form. The bounty hunter turns to his crew and shouts out.
>"Where did that come from?"
>"Uh - the general store - I think!"
>"Ahhhh damn it. It better have been us that caused that racket this time. If those other bounty hunters find all the targets there'll be nothing left for us. Alright, I'm sorry for taking up your time, you two are clear to go. If you have questions for me, you'll have to wait until after."

I turn back to the cart and get ready to move it, Ecoa approaches me and asks me what I want to do.
>"So, what's the plan of action? You still want me to take care of all Pilot's pencil-pushy supplies at the general store while you go check out the library? Or would you rather we stick together? I don't mind either way. If you want this whole thing to go quicker, I suggest the former. If you have any other ideas let me know."
>>
No. 1006595 ID: 96c896

>ones I did recognize
We haven't seen Lugwere, I think.
Guess we saw Trasks though.
Well, we definitely saw Faspan. Even gave us his real name. Surprising for a wanted man.
Haven't seen Akaro either.

>what do
Yeah she can still do the thing at the general store. Provided it's still standing...
>>
No. 1006599 ID: 8483cf

I mean, that's assuming the General store is still standing. If Ecoa shows up and there's something crazy happening, she might delay us by just getting caught up in it.

Let's stick together to see if it's even worth the trouble.
>>
No. 1006601 ID: 74c499

The general store just blow up and there a good chance of radon militia violence, yet you seem sure you can handle it and don't even want company. That is a lot of confidence you got there Ecoa.
To be honest at this point I believe you can go through any circumstance unscathed, but I still feel concern about leaving you when support might be needed.
>>
No. 1006619 ID: 8a444d

>>1006595
Nice catch!

I don't have particular interest to delate either one. Faspan's supposed crime is not reflected so I would gave him the benefir of doubt.

I say to go to the library alone. Don't want to put Eccoa in troubles because we want to help a fugitive.

Also I like the bounty hunting, is like "Where is Wally?"
>>
No. 1006640 ID: ce39da

> "Faspan" is an alias, but also the name printed on the wanted poster.
> No stated crime; wanted for non-crime reasons.
> "Friends" in the new world.
> Trying to avoid things reaching a "boiling point."
> "Rogue inventor."
> Carrying "cartography" blueprints.
> Wanted by Romua, Fetz, Bacot, Sein, and one other world power (probably Dutza), assuming I'm interpreting the symbols correctly.
I think we know enough now that we have a good grasp of Faspan's story. The gist is that everyone wants what's in his head, but he wants none of their warmongering money. But if he's being pursued by all of Route 4's local powers, who are these "friends" he's trying to get his (I think) vital blueprints to? Separatists? Criminal cohorts? No, the way he phrased it, the package seems intended to prevent further conflict.

Maybe we'll learn more, but I feel uncomfortable leaving our coworkers in the dark about what's implied to be a high-stakes endeavor. (Not that we should say anything until we three are the only people within earshot, of course.)

"What's your stance on collecting bounties on the side, Ecoa?"

If she shows even the slightest interest, we stick to the "split up" plan. If not, I say we bring her to the meeting so she knows what's up from the get-go.
>>
No. 1006648 ID: 73380d

looking through ties papers... i think i like them. it's a shame one of those "cursed rounds" that you found was not a (Chloro-Bromo Methane round) in a group like that it would have filled up their lungs with fluid, effectively drowning them like the rats they are.
it would be nice if you could manipulate "our friend" into creating this extinguisher encase there is a fire that we can't get to with hoses in the post office...
wait why are you having thies thoughts?

>>
No. 1006790 ID: 2b1560
File 162768495272.png - (497.26KB , 800x600 , RTS11900072021.png )
1006790

>If Ecoa shows up and there's something crazy happening, she might delay us by just getting caught up in it.
It isn't like her to be the one to inconvenience others. Whatever a situation might be she seems the type to get things done no matter how.
>uncomfortable leaving our co-workers in the dark about what's implied to be a high-stakes endeavor
If it turns out to be something I'll bring it up, but it could just be nothing, so who knows.
>I still feel concern about leaving you when support might be needed
While I have faith in Ecoa's ability to hold her own ground, I wouldn't be so sure about my own ability, so I bring it up with her.
"If we split up, you think I'll be ok?"
>"Yes. Nobody should have any reason to target you, but just in case I'll come to you if you call out."
"What's your stance on collecting bounties on the side, Ecoa?"
>"I deliver mail. Therefore, I have no interest in catching nor aiding criminals." Suppose that settles it.

We walk around the corner where the ruckus is emanating from. The dust settles enough for me to see two aves across from each other, and a crowd having gathered around to watch the two.
>>
No. 1006791 ID: 2b1560
File 162768497893.png - (350.03KB , 800x600 , RTS12000072021.png )
1006791

The ave on the left holds out a sword, taking an offensive stance. He seems injured and out of breath.
>"ahh... haah... I'm giving you one last chance... Walk away, and you live another day. Get any closer, and I'm cutting you down..."
He seems on edge, and from the looks of things, is the last one to be in any position to be making demands.
>>
No. 1006792 ID: 2b1560
File 162768499688.png - (492.11KB , 800x600 , RTS12100072021.png )
1006792

The ave on the right accompanies a small army of large vines and stalks surrounding them. They stand in front of a large hole in the general store wall, which they presumedly made themselves. The plants move around in such a way that is very… unnatural. it wouldn't be out of the question to believe the masked ave is controlling them somehow.
Despite being confronted with a threat, the masked ave doesn't say a word, as a matter a fact, they don't even react in the slightest.
This ave wears a decorated military jacket of some sort. Whoever they are, they must be of some notoriety and rank. I don't think they’re with the bounty hunters we saw before.
>>
No. 1006793 ID: 2b1560
File 162768501145.png - (277.88KB , 800x600 , RTS12200072021.png )
1006793

"Hey Ecoa, you seeing this?"
>"About as well as you are."
"Is that creepy one controlling those vines?"
>"Looks like it."
"How?"
>"Some New Worlders are known for being able to perform the unexplainable. But an explanation is due in this case, so if you don't mind, I'm gonna need you to write me a note of the supplies and give me a coinbag, looks like I might be seeing a familiar face."
"o-oh, right! Wait, you're going in there?"
>"Yes. So it looks like you'll be on your own for now. We'll meet up again in fifteen minutes or so. what you do in that time is up to you."
Looks like I can decide where to go from here. I should go to the library now. But... This fight looks like it could be quite the spectacle. I can even see people making bets. If that guy is still waiting for me in the library, then what's a few more minutes? Besides, all the heat is over here instead of on him. Gah. Choices are hard. I'll probably see the conclusion by the time I get back if I make my trip to the library quick.
>>
No. 1006795 ID: 96c896

>>1006791
Peach feathers, brown accents... that's Akaro.
The vine guy has dark grey feathers, could be Lugwere? That's the only bounty we haven't seen yet. They're not wearing the outfit as described on the poster, but I guess for someone that dangerous it would make sense to defy the description and thus be able to act out in the open.

Go to the library.
>>
No. 1006798 ID: ce39da

> Face-Off
The ave the military man is attacking is none other than Akaro, the assassin we just saw a wanted poster for. This guy's with either the Seinish or Romuan military, here to capture or eliminate a threat to their country.

> Supply List
Rations and waterskins should be obvious, an up-to-date map, knives to cut foliage with - "get a kukri if they have one and you think we can afford it" - and rudimentary medical supplies.

> Off to the Library
Maybe stick around for a brief minute to see how Ecoa approaches the situation, then head off to the library.
>>
No. 1006842 ID: 2aa5f0

keep your distance but watch, it will give you an idea of what you might have to expect while traveling. Though if the fight looks like it's going to take more then 15 minutes you should probably start heading to the library as not to upset your boss otherwise the town might get to see a second fight with them getting to see if it is possible for your boss to turn you into a pretzel.
>>
No. 1006845 ID: 2b1560
File 162772399708.png - (289.79KB , 800x600 , RTS12300072021.png )
1006845

>Go to the library.
Responsibility wins over my need to be entertained, so I make my way there.
>Maybe stick around for a brief minute to see how Ecoa approaches the situation
I hang around for just a bit to see how Ecoa approaches the store, and she does so in the most inconspicuous manor. Everyone is so focused on the fight however that nobody notices her entering the store through its new entrance.

>The vine guy has dark grey feathers, could be Lugwere
The bounty didn't say anything about him wearing a helmet, and they don't look to be carrying an instrument, so I do have my doubts. I also don't know how much sense it makes for someone with a huge bounty to be bounty hunting themselves.

I hook up the cart and bring it to the library, which isn't far considering it being just across the street. I roll the door to the side and have a look in. There aren't many inside, and rows of bookshelves continue to the far end of the store. By the door is a desk occupied by an ave reading a book.

"Hello, is this the library?"
>"Correct. If you're here to steal something, I assure you this place houses nothing of value, at least not of the material variety. If you are here to buy books, it's a crescent for a printed copy and a quarter for a handwritten edition. If you wish to inquire information involving the New World, I may indulge you up to a certain point, but I consider my time to be valuable overall so if you're interested, I can direct you to a book on any subject."

I look hard through all of the desks and bookshelves, but I can't see Faspan anywhere. It's possible he didn't make it here, or that he left early. Or maybe the librarian is hiding him.
>>
No. 1006853 ID: ce39da

“Hi, I agreed to meet someone here? Male (I think), beige feathers, yellow eyes?” Yeah, this district does seem a bit hot right now, so Faspan being a no-show isn’t too preposterous, but it doesn’t hurt to ask as long as we don’t name-drop a wanted man.

Asking him directly about Memerti, then Grandflores seems more efficient than buying a guidebook, but do buy them if he suggests it. Inquire about whether they have book on weather patterns for sale. And if this is the place to buy an up to date sky-chart, do that too.
>>
No. 1006854 ID: 73380d

>>1006845
a-are you a kink friendly Liberian?
>>
No. 1006856 ID: 8a444d

"The books looks tempting, but I am here to pick up a package as favor. There is more people here?"

If the librarian were hidding Faspan you would give enought clue. If not, you are not identifing Faspan.

Also, the librarian doen't seem too much concerned by the fight. Is that so habitual?
>>
No. 1006881 ID: 2b1560
File 162777503180.png - (121.34KB , 800x600 , RTS12400072021.png )
1006881

"Hi, I agreed to meet someone here? Male I think? beige feathers, yellow eyes?"
>"I don't know anyone of that description. I suggest you look elsewhere." The librarian doesn't look away from the book when saying this, so I'm not sure If they are being entirely truthful. Faspan told me he frequented this place, so the librarian needs to have seen him at least once.

>Inquire about whether they have book on weather patterns for sale. And if this is the place to buy an up-to-date sky-chart, do that too.
I can ask about the weather patterns, but I don't know if a sky chart exists. We do have something for water bodies already which should suffice.
"Do you have something on the New World Weather patterns?"
>"There's not a person in the world who can accurately predict New World Weather patterns. We do have a book on identifying different types of weather anomalies. We have a book on just about anything about the New World, so don't be afraid to ask.

>Also, the librarian doesn’t seem too much concerned by the fight. Is that habitual
"You seem unbothered about the fight going on outside"
>"Fights break out so often here that they are honestly boring at this point. I just prefer to read.
"Well, Is there anyone else here?"
>"There are a couple others here, one of which refuses to leave. If you're a bounty hunter I encourage you to remove him."
Throughout the whole exchange the librarian does not look away from their book once. I need some way to let them know my intentions with Faspan aren't malicious. If I want to buy books, I have 2 crescents and a quarter on me. A quarter is worth 4 crescents. I can hear someone from the back of the library making their way towards the counter, it is possible that they listened in to our conversation.
>>
No. 1006882 ID: 96c896

>>1006881
>one refuses to leave
Ask where that one is!
Maybe Faspan has a disguise... You could also wait to see who's coming.

Definitely get a book on weather anomalies, maybe something about hostile flora or fauna.
>>
No. 1006886 ID: 8483cf

Yep, time to go after the one who refuses to leave. Tell the librarian we're not bounty hunters, but we are here to deliver mail.
>>
No. 1006889 ID: ce39da

It sounds like someone who's been waiting a while to meet someone - either this librarian's just that unattentive, or this is their subtle way of pointing you at them.

Meet the one approaching halfway. If it's not him, excuse yourself, pick up a hand-bond copy of the meteorology book and return to the counter - maybe he won't pay us any heed until we make a transaction or two.
>>
No. 1006901 ID: 15a025

We deliver, not hunt. Ask about the fellow who doesn't seem to wanna leave.
>>
No. 1006902 ID: 73380d

idk why we are here but if you see anything you want, remember a thieves best tool is distraction.
no one could be as aloof as this tool
>>
No. 1006913 ID: 2aa5f0

let him know you're not a bounty hunter just that you were suppose to meet someone here is all. I guess also ask him if there are any books he thinks would be useful for someone going to the new world for the first time.
>>
No. 1006932 ID: ce39da

>>1006889
Make that a printed copy instead - I was dumb and got the values of crescents and quarters swapped around in my head.
>>
No. 1007145 ID: 717d7b
File 162804725949.png - (216.11KB , 800x600 , RTS12500072021.png )
1007145

>one refuses to leave
>Ask where that one is!
"The one with the bounty, that’s who I'm looking for! I want you to bring me to him!"
I hear the footsteps of the approaching figure stop and I hear an unfamiliar, composed voice.
"When they send their bounty hunters these days, I have to wonder at what point they stopped sending their best."
"N-no, wait I'm not--"
"No matter. If you wanted a fight I wouldn't underestimate you, but I request we postpone it. I'm here for a more urgent matter. Listening in on your conversation, I must say I relate to your struggle in trying to coerce information from him. So, allow me to go ahead and use up the last of my patience."
I step aside and he approaches the counter.
>>
No. 1007147 ID: 717d7b
File 162804733772.png - (302.14KB , 800x600 , RTS12600072021.png )
1007147

He slams his hand down on the librarian’s desk, the librarian however remains unintimidated.
"WHERE. IS IT."
>"I've already told you. This is a library, we sell books. Not sheet music. If you are searching for that kind of thing, I suggest you go to a music store."
"It isn't just any sheet music. And I know it's in here somewhere. The thief told me that this is where he sold it."
>"Ask him again. He probably hid it somewhere and lied to you."
"Asking him again is no longer an option I'm afraid, but I'm sure his final words were that of the truth. People start getting very honest once they see how close the consequences of their actions are catching up."
>"I don't know what to tell you. Search somewhere else."
"I'm not leaving empty handed. I will turn this place upside down if I have to"
>"Then do it."
"You don't think I will??."

They continue going back and forth for a while. I can't seem to get a word in. It might be a little while before I can continue my conversation with the librarian, in the meantime I can look for books. Subjects of interest include
-New World weather anomalies/meteorology
-Plants of the new world
-Monsters of the new world
-Islands I'm going to
-Aves possessing supernatural abilities
-Chimeras and strange aves
-Anything else I can think of that'll be of use
One thing I remember about handwritten and printed books is that handwritten books are larger, more detailed, include drawings and generally contain more information while printed books only contain proven and factual information with a cost to the overall quantity of information. I can get two printed copies and a handwritten book or 6 printed copies of any book.
>>
No. 1007150 ID: 96c896

>>1007147
Oh god it's the death conductor. You've met every single one of them now. Were you hexed by a witch recently?
How about you go exploring in the library on your own. If Faspan is here I doubt he'd want to go anywhere near the other guy.

Get a book on the next island for sure. Weather anomalies too.
>>
No. 1007156 ID: 8483cf

Definitely the next islands! Also one on Chimeras, because Pascoe strikes me as slightly vain. Just a little bit.
>>
No. 1007169 ID: 74c499

You asked for weather anomalies, so I guess this is already on your list. Personally I would leave those concerns to Pilot, but good of you for wanting to be helpful.
Plants and monsters would be my pick. Sure it's helpful to know more about the people we will be interacting, but you can talk with them while with predators what you know is all you have.

It's funny how Beethoven tired expression is so iconic it can be immediately recognized in a cartoon bird.
>>
No. 1007172 ID: 2aa5f0

ah screw it, get one of each printed since you can. If nothing else it will give you something to do on your down time on the ship when you're sailing between ports. Also if you don't see the guy you where hoping to meet before you get your books I guess you'll have to just leave because Ecoa did say you only had 15 minutes to grab what you need so... might want to hurry because she seemed rather determined to see you in that leather harness.
>>
No. 1007177 ID: ce39da

Get some printed books on the next island or so, flora, fauna, and weather anomalies. There are better ways of learning about people out there.

If they're still at it when you return: "Hi, I want to buy these? Um, for what it's worth, I'm not a bounty hunter - I'm supposed to meet... an inventor here, about something way more important than a bounty, supposedly?"
>>
No. 1007186 ID: 8a444d

I have a hunch. Look for a light blue book, the one Faspan had in his satchel. The library seems hot and maybe he let a lead in there. He knew we are going to search in the new world info here.

And if you find something you don't want Lugwere to notice, hide it in his right side (he seems to be blind of that eye).
>>
No. 1007287 ID: ce39da

>>1007186
Ooh, nice catch. I guess we should be looking out for that kind of possibility. Although he definitely had some bound packages he was wanting to deliver; keep an eye out for those, too.
>>
No. 1007327 ID: 6a2a09

>>1007147
Are you sure you dont got adventurer blood in you or something, because it seems that everywhere you go, there's always something interesting happening
>>
No. 1007398 ID: 15a025

Getting a book on the island we're visiting first is probably a good idea.
>>
No. 1007437 ID: 15a025

>>1007398
additional, ask this guy what's so important about this sheet music?
>>
No. 1007457 ID: 50697f

Might as well sample as much as possible and gets books on anomalies, weather, and atlases for the individual islands if possible. Also, you should buy a spooky horror novel for kicks.
>>
No. 1007614 ID: 717d7b
File 162864984802.png - (245.03KB , 800x600 , RTS12700072021.png )
1007614

>Oh god it's the death conductor. You've met every single one of them now. Were you hexed by a witch recently?
I haven't seen all of them because I haven't seen the one with the weird eyes yet. I don't know if witches are real, I sure hope not.
>If Faspan is here I doubt he'd want to go anywhere near the other guy.
I worry that might be a reason for his apparent absence
>Pascoe strikes me as slightly vain. Just a little bit.
>I didn't choose to be a chimera, so maybe I am a little vain! I'm a freak of nature who ended up delivering mail for a living, not that I'm one to complain, as it's a little too late into my life to be having second thoughts.
>I have a hunch. Look for a light blue book, the one Faspan had in his satchel. The library seems hot and maybe he let a lead in there
I look around but unfortunately, I don't spot anything like it. I feel if he wanted me to spot it he'd have made it a little more obvious. I don't spot the packages he had either.
>Are you sure you dont got adventurer blood in you or something, because it seems that everywhere you go, there's always something interesting happening
I hope not. Admittedly more has happened to me today than has probably happened to me in the past decade. Probably a consequence of this place being a bottleneck for dangerous, unhinged and acentric individuals.

I decide I want to get a printed book on the first pinnacle I'm going to; Mamerti.
My next pick is a book on weather anomalies, I decide to get a handwritten book so I have a more information. I'll hand this off to pilot.
My last book I decide to get is on new world plants. Information ranges from carnivorous plants to poisonous plants, to plants that give strange afflictions upon contact and consumption.

I get all these books and I make my way back to the front desk, and by the sounds of things the aves are close to finished with their discussion.

>"If you really insist on retrieving something that came in recently, there is a shelf towards the back where we keep all the new books that come in. I suggest you search there."
"It better be there. there'll be hell to pay if that falls into the hands of some amateur"
>"Be sure to take your box with you."
"I'm counting on it." Lugwere leaves, and I make my approach to the desk

"Hi, I'd like to get these three."
>"Alright. let me take a look."
They put their book down and look up me.
>>
No. 1007615 ID: 717d7b
File 162864987186.png - (288.22KB , 800x600 , RTS12800072021.png )
1007615

>"Wait. Wait a minute. Chimera postal worker. You're an actual chimera who is a postal worker? That was such an oxymoron I thought Faspan was giving me some sort of code word."
"Yeah, I deliver mail and have cat legs. I'm also not a bounty hunter. Did you say something about Faspan?"
>"My apologies for pleading ignorance. Faspan told me to see in case a chimera postal worker came by. I suppose that's you. He left a short while ago after a few bounty hunters came in looking for him. There was a chance you wouldn't come by, but he left a few of his belongings here just in the case that you did. If you didn't come by, he asked me to destroy them.
Me and him are good friends but he has never mentioned you, so I'm guessing that you just met. He must really not have anybody left to trust if he trusts a stranger like you to do this sort of thing. You probably have a few questions, so ask away."
>>
No. 1007618 ID: 96c896

>>1007614
>no weird eyes
Oh, four out of five then. That's much better. Surely just coincidence.

>>1007615
>questions
Well, you could ask if they know what's in the packages. You're not gonna open them but you're still curious. Also, are they already postmarked and paid for?
Do they know Faspan well? What kind of person is he? He seemed alright...
>>
No. 1007621 ID: 8483cf

"Why were you so confident you weren't in danger a second ago?"
>>
No. 1007625 ID: d547b7

The only question I feel that needs to be asked is where does the package need to go?
>>
No. 1007651 ID: 8a444d

I am curious why so much secretism, but... My question is Do we really want to know what is inside?
(Also has Faspan left any instructions?)
>>
No. 1007656 ID: 74c499

I had assumed he had something he wanted to be delivered. I need to know who the recipient is, why this couldn't go through the post officer, what kind of problems this can cause and who should I avoid because of it.
I also expect to be compensated for this service. At minimum the amount the post officer would ask, more if this put me at risk.

Other than that I'm a bit curious about the story behind this package. It would be nice to know what a rogue inventor does and what is worth so much trouble.
>>
No. 1007658 ID: 717d7b
File 162869710823.png - (294.94KB , 800x600 , RTS12900072021.png )
1007658

"Why were you so confident you weren't in danger a second ago?"
>"I know who Lugwere is, and I know how his type operates. He is what some consider a 'Death Conductor'. Like a dark bard, but a thousand times worse.
To make a long story short, him using his abilities on me would be like squashing an ant with a boulder, while at the same time being another ant standing under that same boulder. He is better equipped for taking down armies, not assassinating harmless book-keepers."

>Do we really want to know what is inside?
I don't really mind what's in them at all. They could probably be filled with super dangerous weapons, and I still probably wouldn't have any objections. But for the sake of curiosity, I as just in case.
"What was in those packages he was holding?"
>"Right, he left those with me. I don't know what each contains, just that they are all part of projects he was working on. He invents things to solve problems others are having, but his solutions to problems have had a history of being misused by the corrupt and power hungry, so he tends to be cautious as to how he distributes these solutions."
"Where do the packages need to go?"
>"The original courier he scheduled to deliver them would have taken them to three locations. Grandflores, Picarta and Answell. This courier was going to disguise themselves as a post worker like yourself as is common with trying to transport items that really don't need to be looked at too closely. They would then follow a list of instructions to get them to the right place. obviously, what's happened is the courier Faspan was waiting on instead sold off his location to bounty hunters upon discovering his true identity. In case you were wondering why he is wanted, it isn't because he is a criminal, or that he has done something wrong. He left a note here explaining everything in case you accepted this job. If you don't accept the job, it isn't a big deal, he asked I destroy these in the case they couldn't be reliably delivered.
"I need to know who the recipient is, why this couldn't go through the post officer, what kind of problems this can cause and who should I avoid because of it."
>"The recipients are likely other inventors and intellectuals. He refuses to send these through the post office because of the chances of it getting lost in transit or stolen being too high. These shouldn't cause problems for you, unless you start telling people they contain items sent by Faspan, in which case many governments would be interested in confiscating them and using them for their own ends. Besides that, you needn't hide these from anybody."
"I'd expect to be compensated for this service. At minimum the amount the post officer would ask, more if this put me at risk."
>"Personal couriers are compensated generously. It's all there on the note he wrote.

I could decline the job, pay for my books, and leave and that would be the end to it. Or I could read the note he left me and see what exactly he has to offer.
>>
No. 1007659 ID: 2aa5f0

Eh fuck it might as well take the job. From what I'm hearing this is a standard postal job anyways and the only reason he didn't start with the post office was because he didn't trust them but now that he's out of options he has to rely on you to get his parcels out or not at all. And if no one is looking for the packages then you can just drop them off with the rest of the mail since we cross those islands on our route anyways and just act like it's all part of the job. Though if people are looking I guess we can ask for higher compensation upon delivery if it ends up being a problem for us.
>>
No. 1007661 ID: 6189a9

Let's take the job. Help a scholar transmit his discoveries without them getting turned into weapons.
>>
No. 1007666 ID: ce39da

"I suppose our mutual friend should count himself lucky these all fall under my assigned mail route anyway, starting today. Let me see that note."

Grab a printed book on Grandflores while you're at it. It's gonna be our first stop on our secret mission - possibly on our overall route, too, assuming Ecoa is just as apathetic towards a change in plans as she was with the initial decision.

"Honestly, though, I can see why the courier would be pushed to sell out the client, regardless of who they were, seeing as the post office has put a policy designed to catch impersonators into effect just recently. If I were in his position, I'd want to cash out and cut ties with the business, too. Not that it matters to me, seeing as I am, in fact, a postal worker~!"

Man, come to think of it, clandestine courier work is an ingenious side-hustle for a postal worker like ourselves. It's practically a perfect crime if the client doesn't go through official channels to get it to us - if the official channels don't throw up any alarms, an official postal ship would be the last place an interceptor would look! (That's uh... assuming the interceptors can watch the official channels, of course.) And no anti-impersonator measure in the world can ever catch you because you're not an impersonator!

Of course, if we're ever really strapped for cash, we could also look towards smuggling stuff from the contraband room (like the cursed ore rounds) to potential fences, but that should really be a last resort.
>>
No. 1007672 ID: 96c896

>>1007658
Take the job. Read the note.
>>
No. 1007689 ID: 74c499

To be honest I got in my head that mail delivery is our goal and therefor it didn't even occur to me refusing a reasonable deliver request was an option.
And this won't even be the most suspicious package we are caring (don't say this aloud).
If they are small we can avoid explaining the circumstances to our coworkers, or at least be vague about it, but once we got payed we should divide the money with them. Whether they know it or not they will be sharing the risks with us, so it's only fair that they share the benefits.
>>
No. 1007700 ID: 8483cf

Let's do it! Take the job!

Now we daydream about the rewards. Pascoe, what would you do if you were filthy stinking rich?
>>
No. 1007716 ID: 8a444d

Well, you came here to jump out of the routine. If at the first opportunity for an adventure you decline, then why are you here? Also, it seems reasonably safe and the motives seem fair for now.
>>
No. 1007717 ID: 717d7b
File 162876340642.png - (130.69KB , 800x600 , RTS13000072021.png )
1007717

"I'll take the job, let me see the note." The librarian pulls a note from a drawer behind the desk. He hands it to me while looking over the books I'm purchasing.

In the case that it is no longer safe for me to hide in the library, I have written this note for the chimera who I had met briefly while waiting for the original courier. If this letter has reached you, I want to make a few things clear. Yes, I do have a bounty for my capture. No, I am not a criminal, and my intentions are not sinister. I was once an apprentice who worked under a famous war-smith. He had passed years ago, leaving me to be sole inheritor of most of his knowledge on creating weapons of war. This is knowledge I do not wish to make use of. I want to make this world better, not worse. The point is, major nations and powerful interest groups are gearing up for a great conflict, one which will no doubt incapsulate the new world. This could be in a month, or it could take years. Regardless, we are beginning to see the start of nations seizing assets such as powerful individuals and resources from the new world for future use. That is why I am wanted. They will try to force me to create their 'secret weapons'. their 'ace cards'. A foul culture of war which involves war hungry leaders secretly saving overwhelming, uncounterable attacks for the moment defeat seems even a possibility. These three packages are going to Grandflores, Picarta and Answell, all of which have a problem which I have worked months on finding the solutions to. I must let these inventions fall into the hands of colonists who will use them to make life easier for themselves, instead of militias who will retool them into machines of war." As a reward, I can certainly make it worth your time, while also making your job easier. If you deliver all three safely, I can promise a reward of 30 gibbous, or the equivalent of two moons, which should be very generous for three packages. Many people also owe me favors on different pinnacle islands; you can cash these in on my behalf (seeing as I cannot do so myself) if it helps you on your way. I have them written on a second list which contains instructions on where to deliver the packages. Please be safe. And if you ever feel there is risk that these items cannot be delivered to their destination, please destroy them preferably by throwing them into the trench. I hope we meet again, and if you prove capable of this task, I will consider you for future work. -Faspan

"I suppose our mutual friend should count himself lucky these all fall under my assigned mail route anyway"
>"I assure you luck has nothing to do with it. The Maritime Postal Alliance delegate delivery routes to different days. today would be the day that northmost colonies start to get their mail. Faspan figured out the best times to have couriers move with the regular postal routes."

>Now we daydream about the rewards. Pascoe, what would you do if you were filthy stinking rich?
I'd buy a bottomless barrel of pomegranates! That'd be the dream!
>>
No. 1007718 ID: 717d7b
File 162876343278.png - (302.91KB , 800x600 , RTS13100072021.png )
1007718

>"One more order of business. How does a free book sound?"
"The phoenix kings? Isn't that a kid's book?"
>"A very famous one, one which - in my opinion - has a good message."
"I think I read it once, but I can't remember, what was the message?"
>"Things are not always as they seem. Take it and don't open it until you are far, far from here."

Should I even question it? Or should I leave and meet up with Ecoa and get away from this place before any more strange things happen?
>>
No. 1007720 ID: ce39da

He’s implying that this book is more than what’s claimed on the cover. Don’t question it, secure your new packages and meet back with Ecoa before she gets annoyed. (Although I wonder if this is their cheeky way of slipping a certain sheet music out from under the conductor’s nose.)

“Oh, and do tell our friend in the back that I wasn’t a bounty hunter, and wasn’t here for him?”
>>
No. 1007721 ID: 6519cb

Take and secure the book.

>“Oh, and do tell our friend in the back that I wasn’t a bounty hunter, and wasn’t here for him?”
That's the hat's job. If he ignored the hat, he'll likely ignore the librarian.
>>
No. 1007722 ID: 2aa5f0

the book probably has some information that is probably related to the package deliveries so might as well take it and head off to meet your boss before she comes to try and find you again. pretty sure we're still within our 15 minute time frame but if not just tell her bounty hunters... or their bounties really kinda slowed you down.
>>
No. 1007723 ID: f8fa51

Say nothing at all about the book, but take it, thanking the librarian, and be on your way. I doubt it will be dangerous to you personally, since this librarian was clearly willing to harbour and assist Faspan, and now presumably believes you will be aiding him.
>>
No. 1007730 ID: a2493c

>>1007718
"Eh, I'm sure one of my friends at the post office will enjoy it. Thanks."

Take the book, give no indication you've picked up that it's important.
>>
No. 1007755 ID: 74c499

That conclude our business here. Be polite: thanks and farewell.

Once we meet Ecoa ask her advice about the book. Since it's implied something will happen when you open she might know what kind of new world nonsense have to do with paper.
>>
No. 1007775 ID: 717d7b
File 162880378165.png - (239.77KB , 800x600 , RTS13200072021.png )
1007775

I don't know what importance the book I'm being handed holds, but I choose to pretend it isn't important, which it very much may not be.
"Eh, I'm sure one of my friends at the post office will enjoy it. Thanks." I take it in the most unassuming way I can.
>"I don't mind too much who you give it to, because there is no worse place for it to be right now."
“Do tell our friend in the back that I wasn’t a bounty hunter, and wasn’t here for him?”
>"If such a misunderstanding worries you, I'll clear that up on your behalf."
>Once we meet Ecoa ask her advice about the book
I'll be sure to consider it during my down time.

I pay for the books and pick up the packages with their instructions. I give the librarian a polite farewell.

I take all the newly acquired items and load it into an open flap besides the cart. Now that I think about it, I really shouldn't have left this out here unattended. Ahhhh it's probably fine.
>>
No. 1007776 ID: 717d7b
File 162880380030.png - (351.47KB , 800x600 , RTS13300072021.png )
1007776

I don't see Ecoa around, so I probably still got time to spare! I'll just pick up the cart and...
Wait. Something isn't right. I can feel extra weight, which is unaccounted for, even taking into consideration the items I just put in.
It's possible that...
If I stand still, it almost feels like...

...Yep. somebody's in there.

How should I approach this?
>>
No. 1007779 ID: 96c896

>>1007776
Considering the only bounty you haven't met is the one with weird eyes, I'm going to bet that's who's in there. Well, maybe it's Faspan.
Go back and pretend to move some boxes around, and speak into the cart that you'd like to know who's hitching a ride and how long they're going to be in your cart. You'll let them stay in there, for standard taxi fare.
>>
No. 1007785 ID: 8a444d

It's posible that the book has those sheets of music? Don't dare to open it just in case.

Also if there is a bounty in there, there are two outcomes: Is not dangerous (like Faspan or Trasks) or is dangerous. In either case you don't want to reveal him, don't say anything until it's safe (or directly don't say anything).

If it's not dangerous, it seems like some persons are being captured to work against their will, so it's not a big deal to lend a hand. If it's dangerous you don't want to make him mad or he could hurt you.
>>
No. 1007791 ID: ce39da

> No worse place for it to be.
Oh, that librarian has ABSOLUTELY hidden the sheet music of doom in that storybook. Now I'm thrilled we didn't take the cursed ore bullets; it's not like we need more than one hot piece of contraband we gotta find a fence for!

> Stowaway.
Stand near the cart and address no one in particular, like you're voicing a thought.
"I wonder how long that apprentice plans to hitch a ride?"
That it's Faspan is just a hunch, but the only reason someone would hide on the cart is to evade capture as they leave the district, and all the other wanted individuals don't seem the sorts that need to hide.

Unless you're about to encounter the fifth out of five wanted men at this port, and the Bearer of the Eyes of Evil is much more meek than their epithet implies.
>>
No. 1007793 ID: 2aa5f0

go back and act like you're just securing the tarp on the wagon and see who's back their while you're at it.
>>
No. 1007814 ID: 8483cf

Smoke 'em out. Find the stinkiest herb you can and put it in the cart!
>>
No. 1007821 ID: 6519cb

Go meet up with Ecoa and mention you have a stowaway.
>>
No. 1007834 ID: a2493c

>>1007776
don't approach the cart.

"Look dude, you're not exactly well hidden. Tell me who you are so I can decide whether I even want to bother with this."
>>
No. 1007850 ID: 717d7b
File 162890305439.png - (250.57KB , 800x540 , RTS13400072021.png )
1007850

Pascoe

>Also if there is a bounty in there, there are two outcomes: Is not dangerous (like Faspan or Trasks) or is dangerous. In either case you don't want to reveal him.
Both scenarios seem likely, which is why I want to play this cautiously

>Considering the only bounty you haven't met is the one with weird eyes, I'm going to bet that's who's in there
I didn't even look at all the bounties, only a few before I was interrupted by a brawl from around the corner. But from what my luck seems to be as of late, I might not be out of the question.

>Smoke 'em out. Find the stinkiest herb you can and put it in the cart!
A creative idea, however, the last thing I want is my co-worker making an unexpected visit and seeing me stopping to sniff the flowers.

>go back and act like you're just securing the tarp on the wagon and see who's back their while you're at it.
but I fold the loose piece of the tarp down while avoiding showing my attention towards the inside, making sure whoever is inside doesn't directly see me.

>Go meet up with Ecoa and mention you have a stowaway.
The thought crosses my mind, but I ultimately decide it would be better to see if something can come out of talking it out. I speak so that nobody around us can hear.
"Whoever you are, you're not exactly well hidden. Tell me who you are so I can decide whether I even want to bother with this."

I wait around for a while, with no response. I think that rules out Faspan, seeing as he shouldn't have a reason to avoid me, much less pretend I didn't notice him. It seems Whoever is inside has more reason to play things cautiously than I do. It would seem I have two options, confront this stowaway directly, or bring them to Ecoa so I can figure it out with her.
>>
No. 1007851 ID: 96c896

>>1007850
Better to confront them when you have backup. Bring them to Ecoa, but make sure there's no bounty hunters around when you tell her. I see some back there right now...
>>
No. 1007855 ID: f8fa51

Yeah. If they turn hostile, you'll be glad you waited. Don't ask Ecoa what to do when you get there though. Show some initiative.
>>
No. 1007857 ID: 2aa5f0

met up with your boss and see how she wants to handle this. Slightly worried that the stowaway might be hostile but more worried about them ruining the mail if they try to make a run for it.
>>
No. 1007859 ID: 74c499

Bringing the problem to Ecoa is equivalent of trusting in her capacity of dealing with whatever situation she come across. I'm pretty sure she can but that is like treating her like a convenient tool.
It also feel a bit like an abuse of an identifiable trope: a story patter is noticed and the character act in a way they might not to to take advantage of the certainty that this patter will repeat itself.

Press the passenger further.
Your intended path will probable cross with two bounty hunters groups, one of them have already searched this cart before. If this person expect any safety inside the wagon they need to convince us to help.
>>
No. 1007860 ID: 8483cf

You've given up the element of surprise. Better to confront the passenger now than give them time to think, which might end up with them stealing provisions or having time to prepare for a fight.
>>
No. 1007890 ID: 3dd954

>>1007860
Pretty much this, show initiative.
>>
No. 1007892 ID: ce39da

"... Akaro, are you who Ecoa was referring to as a prior acquaintance?"

If she does react: "It was simple, really; the only reason one might have to hitch a ride is to avoid all the bounty hunters about. One of them showed me his posters, and out of the five at the top - in other words, those they thought most likely to find here - Faspan would have had no reason to continue hiding from me; I had just encountered Ludwere in the library moments prior; Trasks was clear across town last I saw; and if I were the Bearer of the Eyes of Evil, I'd simply keep my eyes closed and sell the illusion with fake desensing scars - no need to keep out of plain sight. Meanwhile, you were in a tough fight, last I saw, and you likely aren't in a state to be fighting a bunch of bounty hunters. I admit that it's possible that Trasks flew here fast for some reason, or that it was someone else entirely, so there was an element of luck to my guess, but that's beside the point. I ask again; was it Ecoa who allowed you to hide here?"

> Eyes of Evil likely hidden behind desensing scars.
Thinking back to Riquar at the outpost... Hah! Wouldn't that be something?
>>
No. 1007911 ID: 717d7b
File 162897651676.png - (366.58KB , 800x600 , RTS13500072021.png )
1007911

>You've given up the element of surprise. Better to confront the passenger now than give them time to think
>If this person expect any safety inside the wagon they need to convince us to help.
>Bringing the problem to Ecoa is equivalent of trusting in her capacity of dealing with whatever situation she come across. I'm pretty sure she can but that is like treating her like a convenient tool.
Right! Whoever this stowaway is, I can show initiative and take care of it myself! Ecoa won't always be around to help solve every encounter I run into, so I'll solve this myself!

Click.
>"Hiiiii!~ Mind not making any sudden moves for a moment? I don't mean to get off on the wrong foot or anything, just being careful is all!"
"H- I- uh... You have those weird eyes from the wanted poster, don't you?"
>"You're really perceptive! Oh, also, can I just say that for a package pusher, you sure got some nice equipment in here! You must be a real sharpshooter with a rifle like this! Good condition too! Not that I mean to take anything from you, but it would be within both of our interests if we cooperated with each other, until we leave the market district."
>>
No. 1007912 ID: 717d7b
File 162897653494.png - (178.92KB , 800x600 , RTS13600072021.png )
1007912

"Why me!?"
>"Although I wasn’t expecting it, you look like someone with untapped potential! I can't believe they got you wasting your life moving boxes around!
"I like moving boxes around!"
"Point is, this area is a little hot for me! Just bring me outta here without those goons seeing, and we'll be right as rain! If I'm spotted, then we proceed with plan B!"
"Plan B?"
>"I will let you borrow these eyes, and you take care of the bounty hunters."
"Me? [/b] I've never been in a fight in my life! What makes you think I could take armed privateers on?"
>"They won't fatally harm you; the bounty is alive only! But you can just let the eyes do all the work, you’ll see if the time comes. For now, I need your full trust in me, because I'll need to put some trust in you! Any questions?"
"...Is that rifle even loaded?"
>"Nope! But pointing guns at faces is a good way of getting people to listen!"
"What If I say no all this and call the bounty hunters on you right now?"
>"While these eyes don't give me the [i]direct
power necessary to stop you, I do have a plan C in mind. But if you ask me? you might enjoy A and B a little more. Any more questions?"
I don't have much trust for this person, but I'm unsure what to think of what'd happen if I don't comply.

When did I become a magnet for weirdos? At least it seems this stranger plans to keep our encounter brief. I could call for the bounty hunters to see if I can let them resolve this, or I could ask more questions. If I don't care to do either of those, I should meet back up with my crewmate and let her know about the situation.
I can't wait to get back to the ship after all this is over. it looks like our time on the ridge is finally coming to an end, and the real work can finally begin.
>>
No. 1007914 ID: 8483cf

We carry mail, not passengers. Offer Eyes to live and let live as long as they get out of the cart. We'll drop them off in the closest alley.

Trust is for people who don't threaten people.
>>
No. 1007915 ID: a2493c

>>1007912
"You know I can at least appreciate you being direct. Fine. But, important note, plan B is denied. No sale. I'm very attached to my job, and being wanted for killing guards would impede my ability to do it.

Also, next time ask for favors without a gun in their face, tends to incite spite. Good way to get yourself back-stabbed."

We have no real reason to deny him outside of the gun thing, he's powerful enough to fuck us up bad if we decline here, but we need to lay the hammer down on B.

We're mailmen, not cop-killers.
>>
No. 1007916 ID: 96c896

>>1007912
Indirect power? Sounds like the amber eyes involve controlling or influencing others.
Since they're willing to let you borrow the eyes, ask what they do.

Generally I'm into plan A. Plan B will potentially get a bounty put on your head and plan C will be unpleasant.
>>
No. 1007921 ID: f8fa51

He'll owe you, but let him. At the very least, play along until you meet up with Ecoa (which is when you should have had this confrontation in any case).
>>
No. 1007930 ID: 50af53

You've only one good option. Just capitulate, but strongly turn down fighting the hunters. the worst aside from death that could happen from there is the hunters find them, fight, and whoever wins will probably just treat you like a bystander.
>>
No. 1007933 ID: ce39da

"Alright, fine, but they've already searched this cart once. If they want to do so again, I might be able to shake them off if I throw another bounty I encountered under the proverbial cart - he actually seems like he deserves it. But it's far from a sure thing... Wait, when you lend the eyes to someone, do you not visibly have them anymore? We could get through without violence if that's the case - nothing more than some magically-assisted sleight of hand. There should be a sense-depriving muzzle mask in there; can you hand it to me? They already saw my eyes, they won't think to look..."

Your canned excuse to Ecoa about the change of heart will be, "I think I'm coming down with a migraine." It should also do to explain away any magically induced swapping pains you suddenly undergo.
>>
No. 1007950 ID: 235ba5

Honestly just try and get him outta here I guess.
Do your best not to receive impromptu magical transplants by doing it discreet-like, but he seems pretty confident.
You seem a little early in your weird-world career to be calling bluffs involving magic eyeballs, don't you think?
>>
No. 1007952 ID: 2aa5f0

ask him if he can put the gun down already. If someone where to glance over in your direction they might find it odd that a wagon is holding it's driver at gunpoint.

Also yeah, original plan was just to dump him off somewhere to begin with as we're not really equipped for bounty hunting at the moment and we need to meet up with someone to start doing our job. So fine he can stay back their until he feels safe enough to hope out, just don't ruin any of the mail back there and don't steal anything.
>>
No. 1007992 ID: 8a444d

"I agree only to plan A, if we get caught I will say I didn't notice the change of weight with the extra cargo we bought. I don't mind to help while you don't entangle me in yours affairs"

I have the sensation for what him and the bounty say, that lending his eyes is not something for what he needs your consent (and you don't want a new bounty on you). Better to play it polite and not to directly opose. Also, as couriers we don't want a bunch of bounty hunters fighting near our cargo.
>>
No. 1008061 ID: 717d7b
File 162914333130.png - (301.36KB , 800x600 , RTS13700072021.png )
1008061

"We carry mail, not passengers. And as far as I'm concerned, you can't be trusted."
>"Look, I'll show you what I look like and even give you my name!" They stick half their body out the cart and shakes my hand.
Name's Lyemek, nice to meet you!"
"Trust is for people who don't threaten people."
>"Awww don't be like that! In my part of the new world, sticking guns in each other’s faces is practically a handshake!"
"Either way, if help you, plan B is out of the question. I like my job and not having a bounty on me. I can bring you to a nearby alley or something, after that we can live and let live."
>"That won't do, they got people blocking all the exits. But maybe I'm not the best at coming up with plans. If you got a better one, I'd like to hear it!"
"Like hiding in this cart will do you any better, they've already checked it once, I'm sure they'll do it again."
>"But with you around I have more options!"
"Have you tried closing your eyes or covering them?"
>"It doesn't work, they glow right through my eyelids and most fabric, see?"
"I feel like I'm in the dark here about... lots of things. First off, what's so special about those eyes?"
>"They come from the new world and are highly collectable to say the least! only one of each pair can exist at any one time, so they are pretty hot amongst collectors! They don't belong to me and I'm holding onto them in the meantime. If an empire got their hands on them, they would probably hand them off as a reward to some higher up."
"So, what do they actually do?"
>"Each lets you see the world a different way. This pair is pretty simple; It allows me to see weak spots."
"Really?"
>"Really! For example, your tail! If someone were to pull it, you would freeze up for a few seconds."
"Huh... And you can just... hand those eyes over to someone else?"
>"It's as simple as a touch!"
"Look, I'm not interested in killing anybody, or committing a crime that would make me lose my job."
>"You don't need to kill anyone, nor can you really commit a crime in a place like this. If we go with my way, I'll let you take down any aggressors in any non-lethal way you'd like! And nobody would hurt you because the bounty says alive only. But I'm willing to let you come up with a better plan."

I decide I'll come up with something as the situation develops. I pull the cart and make my way over to Ecoa, so I may get her input on what to do in this situation.
>>
No. 1008063 ID: 717d7b
File 162914344370.png - (393.07KB , 800x600 , RTS13800072021.png )
1008063

While making my way over the fight started just before has now concluded. An ave I haven't seen before wearing a cloak is speaking to the ave with the coat and helmet.

"If we keep going at this pace, we should have enough for that promotion by lunch time. She put up a fight but was clearly outclassed. Let’s get this done soon, this place is starting to make me feel sick."
The ave wearing the helmet is silent and seemingly makes no attempt at any response.
"The less time we spend around these dirty ridge-goers the better. These second-rate old-world bounty hunters are no better... Hold on. Looking over the bounty again, she isn't wanted by the Bacian Empire. It can't have been a total waste of our time; we can probably still get something out of her."
>>
No. 1008065 ID: 717d7b
File 162914353479.png - (332.79KB , 800x600 , RTS13900072021.png )
1008065

The large ave with the axe from before approaches the two.
>"Mind telling me what you're doing? Move aside, I want to speak with your friend over there."
"He can't talk, so you'll have to do it through me."
>"Well, don't think I don't know who you two are, I've heard of what you're trying to do. Apparently, you two appeared out of nowhere and started working your way up the Bacian Navy chain of command. And in case you didn't know, this is a demilitarized zone, no military personnel are supposed to be here."
"I know, so what?"
>"Excuse me?"
"I said 'so what?'"
>"You know what would happen if the other empires knew you were here?"
"We don't need your permission; we go where we please."
They stick their tongue out at them.
>"Either way, my crew and I do not appreciate you two hogging all the bounties to yourself."
"Maybe you should try being a better bounty hunter, did you think of that? Perhaps you aren't cut out for this line of work after all? maybe you could get a job swinging that axe at trees instead of low-lifes?"
>"I'll ignore that insult and instead propose a deal. Seeing as you can't hand Akaro over to your own empire, we'll trade someone we have of equal value."
"Make it two and I'll consider it."
>"What? That's an awful deal. I'm losing money on that. you must be out of your mind."
"If you accept the offer, we may continue doing business. Some could say I have a way of finding people of interest."
>"That's impossible, you expect me to believe that?"
"How do you think I've been finding all these bounties? Tell you what, I'll use my sense right now to find somebody nearby. Then we'll talk business."
>>
No. 1008066 ID: 717d7b
File 162914355999.png - (284.87KB , 800x600 , RTS14000072021.png )
1008066

The ave in the cloak stands still for a moment as their eyes glaze over. Her face suddenly shifts into a horrified expression.

"N-n-no way... That's im-impossible..."
>"What? What are you saying?"
"I almost didn't even notice it! There is someone nearby who's... dangerous. They've been hiding, no, containing themselves somehow."
>"Where?"
"I-I don't know! It... It's getting closer! I can't even tell which direction!"

The bounty hunter with the axe steps up to address their crew.
>"Alright listen up, we got a dangerous one around here. I want everyone to check everything, every alley, every building, every crate, and every barrel! There's a dozen and a half of us and one of them."

How troublesome. I want to move on, but Ecoa is nowhere to be seen. Bounty hunters are frantically looking around the place and they are sure to discover the stowaway soon. I have some time to make a few decisions. I can redirect a group of bounty hunters to the library and see how they fare against Lugwere. I can search for help from some of the aves I've been acquainted with earlier that are now around the area. I may also try going to the bounty hunters directly and have them take this guy off my hands.
>>
No. 1008071 ID: 96c896

>containing themselves somehow
Is it you, Pascoe? Did you become a mailman to hide your power? Well, it could be Ecoa.

Distract the bounty hunters by directing them to the Death Conductor.
>>
No. 1008076 ID: ce39da

“... Is leather thick enough to conceal them?” The leather you have in mind has holes in it, but if you kept your eyes closed in tandem, it should fool them... “There should be a sense-depriving muzzle in there - hand it to me, quickly now! Once I have it on, hand off your ‘gift’ to me and walk beside the cart - I’m relying on you to guide me since I’m going to effectively be blind for a bit to make this little magic trick work. If anyone asks, you’re an old friend I wasn’t expecting to run into out here.” God, and after all that flak you gave Ecoa about the muzzle - of course, if anyone (including her) asks about that, what you’re going to say is that you started to come down with a migraine, and that this doesn’t mean you’ve changed your stance on the matter, and they shall not speak of this.
>>
No. 1008084 ID: 2aa5f0

>I almost didn't even notice it! There is someone nearby who's... dangerous. They've been hiding, no, containing themselves somehow.
oh look, it sounds like Ecoa is nearby. Hopefully she'll come to you if you keep moving. Though I got to ask, do you think she'd meet up with you if you started heading back to the ship or do you think she still might be in the store? you might be able to see her through the gapping hole in the side.

Oh and if the bounty hunters approach you I guess you can let them know that you saw one of the bounty posters they handed you back at the library and he was looking for something. Not sure if he's still their but they might be able to catch him if they hurry. Should buy you time if nothing else.
>>
No. 1008085 ID: dac537

Direct them to the Death Conductor, but do insist they confrobt him outside the library, books are precious after all.
>>
No. 1008095 ID: f8fa51

Yeah, ask them to please not mess up the library, you've met the librarian and you like him.
>>
No. 1008168 ID: 717d7b
File 162923986531.png - (284.02KB , 800x600 , RTS14100072021.png )
1008168

>Is it you, Pascoe? Did you become a mailperson to hide your power?
I doubt it, unless there's something I don't know about myself. Which now that I think about it isn't too out of the realm of possibility seeing that my tail is apparently a weak point I didn't know prior to just a moment ago.

>Covering eyes with leather
I wish not the binding of leather upon me or even my worst of enemies. Truly humiliating.

I talk to one of the bounty hunters not too far from the cart.

"Hey, I saw one of the guys with a bounty you're looking for."
>"Really? Which one is it?"
"Lugwere, The conductor"
>"Are you certain? Damn. I was hoping we wouldn't have to deal with that one. We don't have many leads so I guess we can't be too picky. Where did you see him?"
"He was looking for something in the library just a short while ago, said he wouldn't leave until he found it."
>"Then he's probably still there. Thanks for the tip, our usual targets aren't the literate type so we wouldn't have thought to check there."
"One more thing, mind not wrecking up the place. The guy working there seemed nice."
>"Not a problem, I'll round up a dozen of my musketeers and we'll see about ambushing him once he steps out. Thanks again for the lead, now if you don't mind."

The bounty hunter calls out to surrounding crew members and forms a pack that starts advancing towards the library. Around 6 bounty hunters including the one with the axe remains in the surrounding area, as well as the two Bacian militia

In the case that Lyemek is discovered I am forced into any sort of situation where I must run or fight, I may need someone who would assist me. Aves who I've met that I can see in the surrounding area include:
-Trasks, Pieken and Reeds, the hunters I met in the tavern. The first of which, despite having an active bounty on them, is not trying to hide their identity whatsoever
-Hakrei, the duelist I met in the tavern, who all things considered doesn't seem to upset about the defeat and seems like she wants to talk.
-Vanil the adventurer I met at the dock, who now seems accompanied by a group of even more naive followers. Never mind, maybe I shouldn't pick him.
-Akaro, who is tied up in vines right now. If I could free her whilst people were distracted, I could potentially count on her for assistance.

I still cannot see Ecoa
>>
No. 1008171 ID: f28519

Vanil would probably help you no questions asked, they seemed the type.
>>
No. 1008172 ID: 96c896

Vanil is nearby? Could be them that's hiding their powerlevel, too.

Try to get some help from the hunters, they seem up for a scuffle.
>>
No. 1008173 ID: f8fa51

We don't know anything about Akaro except that they're wanted for assassination. Vanil is friendly, but naive; we really don't need to get involved with him. Normally I'd want to avoid Hakrei and that would leave us with the three hunters, which has the advantage that Trasks comes with a reason not to work with the bounty hunters. However, if Hakrei wants to talk to us about something, maybe we should listen.
>>
No. 1008175 ID: 8483cf

Hakrei! Nice to see a "friendly" face.
>>
No. 1008180 ID: ce39da

Even if we were inclined to free Akaro, it's still too early - too many sets of eyes.

Vanil, however... We can't ask him directly to help us, but... what if we told him something that would cause him to make a distraction on his own?

"Oy, Vanil! How was that duelist?" ... "I actually spotted some bounty hunters over there. And would you look at that; real Bacian navy! Boy, I can only imagine the stories they all have to tell."
>>
No. 1008190 ID: 2aa5f0

Hakrei and Vanil are probably your best bets truth be told. stick near them just incase. Also you were meant to met up with Ecoa here right? I'm half tempted just to head back to the ship and hope to meet up with her along the way as this area is getting a little to hot for comfort.
>>
No. 1008232 ID: 8a444d

>>1008180
I agree about Akaro and like a lot the plan to fool again Vanil (clever one). Though I don't know how the other people would see it.

I personally like Hakrei and would like to know what she has to say, but I think the hunters would be of more help if only for their knowledge and experience.
>>
No. 1008530 ID: 15a025

Vaneil is probably are better distraction if we want to be peaceful about things.
>>
No. 1008691 ID: 7324a0

>>1008180
Support
>>
No. 1009159 ID: dd0add
File 163044149960.png - (279.54KB , 800x600 , RTS14200072021.png )
1009159

My best choices seem to be Hakrei and Vanil. The latter of which seems to be pestering the former about something. I make my way close to them and leave the cart close by, but far from out in the open.

>"Awwww, c'mon, just one more! I can do it this time!"
"Look. Kid. I appreciate the bandages you got me and all, and I was more than happy at first to duel you. but face it, you're outta my league. I get no enjoyment from besting some kid half my size eight times in a row. Now would you and your friends get lost? I got places to head off to real soon."
>"Pleeease? We can make a bet if you'd like!"
>"I'm not interested. Besides, a fight I got in earlier really took the wind outta my sails. I still got glass in my feathers. Which means I'm still kicking your butt even when I'm underperforming. Why don't you get a few years of experience and you might actually be worth my time."

Hakrei understandably seems to be getting increasingly impatient with Vanil. Seems she might be seeing things my way.
>>
No. 1009160 ID: dd0add
File 163044152150.png - (268.30KB , 800x600 , RTS14300072021.png )
1009160

>"Hey! Pascoe! Pascoooeeee! Over here! It's me, Vanil! We met at the docks, remember?"

Maybe if I ignore him, he'll go away.

>"While I was at the tavern, I found some companions who'll be accompanying me on my quest to find the items to cure my hometown of the plague! You seem to have an off expression, is there something you need help with? I'd be happy to help, whatever it is! I'm ready to return the favor I owe!"

Something about these adventurer types rubs me the wrong way. I'll never understand it. He seems all too eager to help me out, but this should be an absolute last resort. I get close enough to the dualist that she notices me.
>>
No. 1009161 ID: dd0add
File 163044157481.png - (348.85KB , 800x600 , RTS14400072021.png )
1009161

>"Hey, runt! you don't mind if I call you that right?"
"It's fine, I can own it."
>"I was wondering when you'd quit pussyfooting around and come chat with me. I was thinking for a moment that we wouldn't meet until our dual on Calsia. So, what'll the topic be? Wanna negotiate the terms of our fight?"
"I wanted to see if you were interested in assisting me with something."
>"If you're thinking of asking me to push papers then I'm afraid I have to decline! That line of work isn't quite my style."
"Not that. I'm just trying to avoid a potentially unfavourable situation is all."
>"I can help with whatever it is, but first, I wanted to know how much you know about your friend."
"Who? Ecoa? Barely anything. She doesn't talk about herself."
>"I have a theory if you're interested. But if you're in a hurry, we can cut right to the chase. I might do what you have in mind, so long as it isn't boring!"

I can either discuss what interest the dualist has in Ecoa or go right to telling her that a top bounty is taking me hostage by threatening to give me freaky eye powers, or I can choose to lead into the conversation with a different subject... Or I can accept help from the adventurers, which I barely wish to consider, but the option is still there.
>>
No. 1009162 ID: 2f6ee3

>>1009161
Hmmm sure, let's listen to the theory on Ecoa.
>>
No. 1009164 ID: ce39da

Let's hear her out and maybe segue her fight-talk into how those military folks seem to like picking fights around here (while not-so-subtly implying that someone who scares the droppings out of you is very interested in riding out on your cart unmolested).

Heck, if she can agree not to turn him in if she wins, you might even be willing to try and set up a duel if she helps...
>>
No. 1009166 ID: f8fa51

Hear her out first, then ask her to help.
>>
No. 1009172 ID: 2aa5f0

sure let her talk, it might put her in a better mood and that might make her more willing to help.
>>
No. 1009180 ID: 8483cf

Ecoa theory! Gotta hear this one.
>>
No. 1009201 ID: a2493c

>>1009160
>doesn't care that he's losing, eager to keep going after so many losses

I'm getting the sense this dude's getting off on having his dick beaten inside out.

Anyways, let's be snoops about our coworker, why not?
>>
No. 1009210 ID: 53560f

You guys know that the moment she starts talking about Ecoa she’s gonna show up and rip us a new one, right?

Don’t tempt fate. Start a conversation and try to make her walk with you so that if “something” interrupts then they’re close by to help.
>>
No. 1009212 ID: b0df41

I'm very interested in that tehory, but we have more urgent things at hand. Also, we will (not so much) hopefully will speak with Hakrei latter in Calsia.

Besides, If we can't get Hakrei's help, we will probably will need Vanil's *Suders*
>>
No. 1009223 ID: dd0add
File 163052077711.png - (275.48KB , 800x600 , RTS14500072021.png )
1009223

>I'm very interested in that theory, but we have more urgent things at hand
I suppose I'll ask to keep it brief in that case

>You guys know that the moment she starts talking about Ecoa she’s gonna show up and rip us a new one, right?
If she were to show up already then I'd go about asking her help instead. I still can't see her so hopefully I needn't worry about that outcome

"Alright, if it makes you more willing to help me out, but try make it quick, I got a job to do and the locals are becoming a bit too much for me."
>"Don't you worry, I'll make it quick."
She reaches into her bandaged midsection and pulls out one of her feathers, bringing it between us. It appears discoloured. A black fade from the top down.
"You have black feathers?"
>"Burnt feathers. Only after my encounter with your friend did this appear."
"You think she did this?"
>"Bingo! And I'm pretty certain, too! It'd seem your friend isn't an ordinary postie. And like I said, I have a pretty good theory going. So, answer me if you could; how would you describe the way she acts most of the time?"
"Monotone. Stoic. Emotionless. Apathetic. Cold. A few things that come to mind" I make sure Ecoa isn't around to hear me say that.
>"Then my theory checks out so far. The only part that doesn't make sense is why a kindler would be pushing papers"
"A 'kinder'? is that some sort of new world thing?"
>"Yes and no. Only available to those from the old world and can only be used in the new world. It takes a lot of practise to pull it off properly. You sure your friend isn't a military general? Or a gryphon rank hunter?"
"I don't know. She doesn't talk about herself."
>"hm. This is someone I want to avoid confronting in a fight again. I'm not too interested in fighting anomalous types of opponents you see. Alright, I've had my fill, so what did you want help with? I don't mind helping out, so long as it isn't boring."

It seems I have the help of someone capable, I just need to know how to apply her. Now is a good time to think of a plan. There are plenty of ways to go about it, but the obvious way seems to be that I introduce Hakrei to Lyemek and allow them to work things out, assuming they can come to some sort of deal. Then it is just a matter of when Ecoa comes back with the supplies.
>>
No. 1009224 ID: bc11b8

perhaps the obvious course is the right one
>>
No. 1009251 ID: 5d9787

Introducing Hakrei to Lyemek might be a good solution for you, but I wouldn't expect the resolution to be satisfactory for them. Lyemek offered to borrow the eyes, Hakrei seem to be the type that would be reluctant to give up something that makes her a better fighter. I also don't think she would enjoy her new toys for very long before their value cause her trouble.

The simplest help we could ask for would be to inform Ecoa we are going to the boat so she should meet you there. Hakrei know Ecoa, so she would have better chances of finding her, but Vanil would be more willing to do such banal task.

The most cautious favor we could ask is to be escorted. Trouble could come at any time, so would be good to have someone who can handle it.
If the situation is too much for Hakrei tell her one of you packages have something that can give her an edge. Hopefully Lyemek will get the meaning and pass the eyes to Hakrei if we get corned.

The most interesting thing we could ask would be for Hakrei to cause a commotion. I expect Lugwere to make a lot of noise at any moment, if Akaro could be released at the same time the turmoil would certainly keep those crazy Bacian bounty hunters from paying any attention to the chimera postal worker.
>>
No. 1009278 ID: 8483cf

>>1009251
Go with cautious approach: we're a trouble magnet right now.
>>
No. 1009334 ID: ce39da

Well, what is it that you want to ultimately do, here?

If you're trying to slip through unmolested, I don't think Hakrei could help with that. However, she can be an alternative eye-receiver if shit goes south, assuming you can work something out with Lyemeck.

Using her to "deal with" Lyemeck outright before you even reach the checkpoint will probably end poorly. Give up on that notion.

If you do plan on bringing her to the cart, for whatever reason, by the gods had you better come up with a way to convince Lyemeck you're not betraying him to this big scary bounty-hunter looking gal.

Actually, I could see her distracting the rest of the non-anomalous people with some challenges. Maybe have her do that.
>>
No. 1009351 ID: 365ef6

>>1009251
I think the first would probably the best solution. I would be trutful with Hakrei though. She seems honest and more interested with duals than money or powers that hasn't being gained by her own effort. Also if she discover that we manipulated her not telling something that important she could feel hurted and then hurt us for lying her stop helping us.

And in the case she don't want to return the cool eyes, well that's not our problem. If we had being asked nicely for help I would be more concerned.

To lessen the suspicions I would guide Hakrei to the cart and show the equipment as if you were two old friends talking. The time to flee would be a good distraction, Ecoa returning or if we wait too long a bounty hunter going to check the cart.

Also I would like to talk to Trasks, Pieken and Reeds, but I doubt we have the chance.
>>
No. 1009410 ID: dd0add
File 163073484046.png - (323.92KB , 800x600 , RTS14600072021.png )
1009410

>Well, what is it that you want to ultimately do, here?
To get this guy hiding in my cart to stop hiding in my cart and causing me potential problems

>Hakrei seems to be the type that would be reluctant to give up something that makes her a better fighter. I also don't think she would enjoy her new toys for very long before their value causes her trouble.
If that happens to be the case, it wouldn't be my problem. As a matter a fact, it would solve my problems.

>The simplest help we could ask for would be to inform Ecoa we are going to the boat so she should meet you there
Ecoa is too close to the bounty hunters, who I cannot bring the cart close to without the uninvited guest interpreting that wrong and putting me in an unfavourable position. I also can't go to the boat without her because there'll be hell to pay if she has to bring the supplies without the cart.

>I could see her distracting the rest of the non-anomalous people with some challenges. Maybe have her do that.
That seems to be part of the plan

>She seems honest and more interested with duals than money or powers that hasn't being gained by her own effort
That is the impression I get.

>Also, I would like to talk to Trasks, Pieken and Reeds, but I doubt we have the chance.
I would too, but I don't think I have the time. I do doubt I've seen the last of them though, because from what I can incur from Trasks' wanted poster, he is a Fera poacher and I'll be seeing them there.

I decide to be honest and transparent to Hakrei about the whole situation. I tell her an ave possessing anomalous eyes is hiding in my mail cart and is hiding from bounty hunters. To be extra cautious, I speak to Lyemek separately and tell him my account of events. After that we all conjugate
""Well what do you know, the cat was telling the truth!"
>"Well pseudogryph, this is a surprise, I didn't know you were so well connected! Can I trust her?"
"I trust her more than I trust you."
"Don't you worry about a thing. I'm not interested in the bounty, I'm just interested in a good time, preferably involving fights."
>"These eyes make fighting child’s play, even for an inexperienced fighter. I'd use them myself but I'm too small for most opponents. I'll let you borrow them if you can plough through those bounty hunters. You won't try keep them for yourself, will you?"
"I'm not interested in keeping eyes of evil, I'm aware of the trade-off."
They then proceed to discuss how to use them, and Lyemek explains that he could take the eyes back at any time.
>>
No. 1009411 ID: dd0add
File 163073487399.png - (306.48KB , 800x600 , RTS14700072021.png )
1009411

"Say, why didn't you offer them to my postie friend here?
>"I did, he said no!"

She begins cracking up and does an awful job at hiding it
"What?"
"Heh, nothing. You don't want to take short cuts, I'm proud of you! Still, if it were anybody else, they'd have jumped at the opportunity for free powers! . Bounty aside, why didn't you? Are you that responsible? Or are you afraid of power?"

I don't really need to answer that as she seems to already be going with the plan. I could call back my answer if I have one. Now that that problem is no longer my problem, I just need to wait for Ecoa. She should be out any second now, so I simply need to wait a little while. I hear something muffled coming from across the street, sounds drowned out by something.
>>
No. 1009418 ID: 5d9787

Firstly picking a fight with a bounty hunter group and Bacian agents can make me unwelcome in a lot of places mail need to be delivered. I don't expect either of you to understand this kind of motivation and I'm not trying to recruit more postal workers, so let's lea