[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 161430272237.png - (109.85KB , 1000x900 , p1.png )
989140 No. 989140 ID: eedbeb

It should be cold this high up, but you don’t feel a thing.
Expand all images
>>
No. 989141 ID: eedbeb
File 161430274597.png - (135.96KB , 1000x900 , p2.png )
989141

You wake up with an aching head, back on the pavement and the sun in your eyes. You’re in the alleyway behind the café where you work, with a still lit cigarette singeing your fuzzy cheek.

That’s right, you’d just come out for a smoke break before the evening rush. The calming taste of ash is still on your teeth.
>>
No. 989142 ID: eedbeb
File 161430280504.png - (180.55KB , 1000x900 , p3.png )
989142

You lift yourself into a sitting position with a grimace and notice the cat lying next to you. They don’t look particularly conscious or fresh. A thin white thread connects their wrist to yours. The magic crowd isn’t one you mix with, and as a somewhat respectable young lady you try to avoid monsters on principal.

What is your name?
>>
No. 989143 ID: b33eb1

>>989141
You seem a bit naked there, dude.
>>
No. 989144 ID: b33eb1

>>989142
Name: Yvonne Yemelyanova
>>
No. 989145 ID: 8a51ec

Lois Tuberky.
Fun fact: Erwin Schrödinger died of tuberculosis.
>>
No. 989146 ID: d63ea8

Reginald Grave
>>
No. 989147 ID: e85a08

Siberius "Sibbie" Elison
>>
No. 989149 ID: b1b4f3

>>989142
Evlyn Shade.
>>
No. 989150 ID: eb1fcc

Evelynn "princess" turducken. The name has been a source of wanton bullying throughout your childhood and occasionally through adulthood.
>>
No. 989151 ID: e7c7d3

You're nicknamed as Chompers
>>
No. 989152 ID: f718c2

>>989149

I like Evelyn Shade
>>
No. 989153 ID: 0fae41

The kitty is DEAD?!

Nona. Nona Salter.
>>
No. 989154 ID: 094652

Julius "Farty" Tavros
>>
No. 989155 ID: eedbeb
File 161431200939.png - (94.72KB , 1000x900 , p4.png )
989155

Your name is Evelyn Shade and while you could wear clothes, your thick coat renders it unnecessary. You consider your fallen cig, mostly intact, and wonder if you can still make it to your shift.

There’s the small problem of the zombie tied to you with a glowing string. What should you do?
>>
No. 989156 ID: 8a51ec

He's either dead or unconscious, better slap him in the face as hard as possible to really be certain if it's the former.
>>
No. 989157 ID: 0fbdcd

Looks a bit like you. Is it?
>>
No. 989158 ID: e85a08

Gently bat the string with your paw.
>>
No. 989159 ID: 094652

Investigate stitches.
Consider removing zombie head.
Regret your life choices.
>>
No. 989160 ID: ad24ca

I mean, the thread is thin, should be able to just tear it, or at least burn it with a cig lighter, right?
>>
No. 989161 ID: b1b4f3

>>989155
Try to wake up the zombie and ask what the string is before you try to free yourself from it.
>>
No. 989170 ID: 08e5c4

Attempt to cut, burn or untie the string and head back to your job. If that fails, wake the zombie by making a fist and rubbing your knuckles against his solar plexus, it’s a relatively safe way to wake someone, even if they’re really out of it.
>>
No. 989171 ID: c95117

Attempt to remove string
>>
No. 989196 ID: eedbeb
File 161435101119.png - (113.65KB , 1000x900 , p5.png )
989196

The sway of the string distracts you for a few seconds before you reach into pocket space and pull out your lighter.

Unsurprisingly, the magical string doesn’t burn. It doesn’t even seem to heat up despite several moments directly in the flame.
>>
No. 989198 ID: eedbeb
File 161435109091.png - (142.18KB , 1000x900 , p6.png )
989198

The zombie might have a solution, or at least some answers. You read somewhere that rubbing your knuckles on someone’s solar plexus can safely wake them, so you kneel next to the zombie and start kneading their chest.

After a minute, they open their eyes blearily and suck a string of saliva back into their wide mouth.

“Oh hi.” they say. “Whatcha doin’ there?”
>>
No. 989199 ID: 30a711

"Waking you up. (point string) Know anything about this stuff and how to get rid of it?"
>>
No. 989207 ID: ce39da

"Waking you up. I don't suppose you can explain what happened between me running out for a smoke and waking up tied to you?"

Wait... Check your own pulse.
>>
No. 989211 ID: 19da02

check the zombie's pulse too
>>
No. 989232 ID: eedbeb
File 161437122057.png - (143.17KB , 1000x900 , p7.png )
989232

“Waking you up.” you say. “What’s this string?”

They bite their lip. “Well, I use it to stich myself up when I run errands for Jadis. It um, connects the soul to the physical form and it’s useful for keeping all my parts together and working. This is going to sound really sketchy but I was wandering through this alley and I saw a white flash and I think your soul might have left your body so I connected you to mine…”

While the zombie is rambling, you take your pulse to make sure you’re still alive. Yup, beating a little faster than normal, but fine. You find the zombie’s thick wrist and feel a sluggish throb.
>>
No. 989233 ID: 8a51ec

"If you pull that off, will I die?"
>>
No. 989234 ID: 6943b4

"My heart is still beating fine, Mr.... I didn't catch your name."
>>
No. 989238 ID: b1b4f3

You might have had some kind of heart attack. You recovered from it obviously but you should go get it checked out since your heart is still in an abnormal state.
Consider the string your life support. Ask him to bring you to a doctor.
>>
No. 989239 ID: b1b4f3

Also thank him for saving your life. You remember floating into the sky, completely numb, so... you were probably dead or in the process of dying.
>>
No. 989241 ID: eedbeb
File 161437796587.png - (157.32KB , 1000x900 , p8.png )
989241

“I assume I can’t take this off then, Mr. whatever your name is.”

“I’m a girl.” The zombie gets to her mismatched feet. “Name’s Body, Jadis said it’s a song she likes by a horse but I think she’s just saying that to make me feel better about being a body called Body. And it wouldn’t be too bad, you’d just go back to being unconscious until you ran out of water and died.”

“Like a coma.” you say. “I’m Evelyn, by the way. Is there anything that can help me?”

“Well, I dunno, you probably need a replacement soul. I have to go back home right now, but Jadis might be able to help cause she’s a witch. I live with her and some other cats.”
>>
No. 989242 ID: b1b4f3

>>989241
God. Fine. Gotta go tell your boss though.
>>
No. 989243 ID: d63ea8

Would there be any way of getting your original soul back? It sounds like a replacement might have some complications.
>>
No. 989244 ID: 6943b4

Uh, isn't it like "you are a spirit, you have a body"?

How can I get a replacement soul if I am the soul?
>>
No. 989246 ID: 8a51ec

This seems like an issue a hospital isn't equipped to remedy anyway; guess we'll follow the flesh ragdoll.
>>
No. 989247 ID: 612369

How did we lose our soul to begin with?
>>
No. 989255 ID: eedbeb
File 161439372158.png - (133.19KB , 1000x900 , p9.png )
989255

“Is there a way to get my original soul back? How am I still me if I’m using your soul, and why would my soul just spontaneously leave my body in the first place?”

Body shrugs and sticks out her tongue. “No idea. Sorry.”

You sigh and call your boss to let him know you have a medical emergency and can’t work. You send a picture of Body to back up your story and get cleared to go on leave.
>>
No. 989258 ID: 6943b4

You now have an immortaliry string.

Victory dab! Victory dab, now!
>>
No. 989263 ID: b1b4f3

Well, you think you're you. Therefore you're you. No reason to get all weird about it.
Time to head back to Body's place and talk to the witch.
>>
No. 989270 ID: e85a08

Offer Body a cig from your pocket space.
>>
No. 989274 ID: 0082bc

Offer Body a cig while you walk to the witch’s place
>>
No. 989284 ID: eedbeb
File 161440179045.png - (172.73KB , 1000x900 , p10.png )
989284

Body leads you out of the alley, stopping frequently to make sure she’s not tugging on the string. Once you’re on the broad sidewalk, it’s easier to walk abreast.

You take a drag then offer Body the cigarette with your free hand. It takes a while for her to notice.

“Do you smoke?” you ask.

Her eyes widen. “No, but it looks cool. What do I do?”

“Just um, inhale with your mouth. Start shallow. If you think it’s gross at first, that’s normal.”

Body takes the cigarette and with a comical inhale, sucks the entire thing down her throat.
>>
No. 989288 ID: 8a51ec

"As much as I'd like to know whether that went into your trachea or esophagus, what can you tell me about this Jadis person?"
>>
No. 989289 ID: b1b4f3

...won't that damage her body?
>>
No. 989290 ID: 6943b4

Bro, you were supposed to inhale the smoke and then spit it out, not eat the whole cigarrette.
>>
No. 989324 ID: eedbeb
File 161444947464.png - (167.82KB , 1000x900 , p10b.png )
989324

“Bro, you were supposed to inhale the smoke and then spit it out, not eat it.” you say.

Body responds by coughing into her paw. “My bad.”

“Are you okay?”

She pats her chest cautiously. “I think so.”

The two of you walk in silence for a few blocks. No one seems to notice that you’re connected with a magic string.

“What can you tell me about Jadis?” you finally ask.

“She’s very cool!” Body beams. “She made me for her senior project at witch college and I got a prize. That was a couple years ago and she’s been trying to grow her business.”
>>
No. 989327 ID: d7effb

"So, you are made of diffent bodies? Does that get annoying sometimes?"
>>
No. 989344 ID: b1b4f3

>>989324
What's life like, being a zombie? Any complications, like not being able to do certain things? You should probably find out since you're a zombie now.
>>
No. 989381 ID: eedbeb
File 161447807580.png - (150.88KB , 1000x900 , p10c.png )
989381

Body’s words make you feel very old at the ripe age of 31. "So you’re made of different bodies? Does that get annoying sometimes?"

The zombie’s smile fades. “It is what it is. Kind of personal, don’t really want to talk about it.”

“Ah, sorry.”

You sink back into an awkward silence, made worse by the fact that your arms keep brushing against each other.
>>
No. 989382 ID: eedbeb
File 161447809885.png - (125.88KB , 1000x900 , p11.png )
989382

You’ve relaxed enough to let your guard down when a bat swoops in front of you from the roof on your left.

“Hey Body,” he says angrily. “I ordered an anti-transformation potion from Jadis a month ago. If she’s not going to make it, I want my money back.”
>>
No. 989383 ID: 8a51ec

This really isn't our problem.
>>
No. 989384 ID: b1b4f3

Tell him both of you are headed back there right now so maybe it'll be more productive if he brings his complaints to the witch?
>>
No. 989387 ID: ce39da

"That's probably something you should talk to the witch about directly? We're on our way there right now."
>>
No. 989388 ID: 094652

"I have a medical condition and if Jadis can't fix it like Body promised I'm planning to punch her in the face. Come along and we'll get her debts settled."
>>
No. 989389 ID: afe7de

Shouldn’t you talk to the witch about it and not Body?
>>
No. 989400 ID: eedbeb
File 161448590971.png - (94.24KB , 1000x900 , p12.png )
989400

"That's probably something you should talk to the witch about directly. We're on our way there right now." you say. “Come along and we’ll get things settled.”

Body steps on your foot rather firmly.
>>
No. 989401 ID: eedbeb
File 161448592296.png - (155.15KB , 1000x900 , p13.png )
989401

“Shuuttt upppppp Evelyn.” she hisses before turning to the bat. “Sorry Vlad, we don’t do potions anymore. I’ll carry some cash for the next time I see you.”

Vlad puffs up with mostly righteous indignation. “I want my money back now. I hate going out during the day and that’s when you’re always doing deliveries and I’m pretty sure Jadis blocked my number.”
>>
No. 989402 ID: 094652

"How much did you spend for that potion?"
>>
No. 989405 ID: b1b4f3

The implication here is that Body doesn't have any cash so the only person that could pay him is you. This feels like it could be a con; absolutely do not give up any of your own money to make him go away. Tell him he came out during the day today to find Body, he can do it again. Wear some sunglasses or something.
>>
No. 989406 ID: c50ee8

Oh, she hit you in the foot. That does it!

"Hey, Vlad, Body here finds being made of different people a touchy subject. She'd rather do ANYTHING than having to talk about it, if you get my drift."
>>
No. 989413 ID: eb1fcc

>>989406
the fuck? why would we do this? the dude brought us back from the dead and, so far, has at worst been a bit weird

stop it
>>
No. 989426 ID: e85a08

You're used to belligerent customers from the café. Just stand there and be taller than him.
>>
No. 989430 ID: 3af308

Ya, this sounds like a big sack of "not my business." Do nothing and let Body handle this. That Jadis is obviously screwing this guy is kinda sus, though, we should make a note to bring that up later.

Do not, under any circumstance, pay off Vlad, assuming you even have money. Don't check if you have money until after he's gone.
>>
No. 989475 ID: 0fae41

Sheesh, okay Michelangelo.
You should step to the side and garrote this guy with your soul string when he gets violent.
>>
No. 989476 ID: b7806a

>>989413 Alack and alas, she has hit our footy.
The footy must be avenged.
There is no other way.
>>
No. 989481 ID: eedbeb
File 161454970613.png - (154.61KB , 1000x900 , p14.png )
989481

“I don’t have that many bones on me right now.” Body says, flustered. She looks at you with a pleading face.

There’s no way in hell that you’re going to pay for the potion, but you do want to get re-souled as quickly as possible and get back to normal life. You pull yourself up to your full, impressive height that can scare the most aggressive of customers.

“She doesn’t have the money, dude. Back off.”

Vlad looks defeated for a moment and then directs his frustration towards you.

“You don’t understand, lady, witches are always scalping people for werewolf potions. I-I’m unstable without it. I could transform right now!”
>>
No. 989482 ID: eedbeb
File 161454972664.png - (132.94KB , 1000x900 , p15.png )
989482

“I don’t like transforming, but I will, I’ll show you what happens!”

Vlad seems to be experiencing some worrying changes.
>>
No. 989483 ID: 0fae41

Why? Aren't you trying to avoid transformation? It's not pleasant for me or for you.
>>
No. 989485 ID: b1b4f3

Ok, do it. Whatcha gonna do, kill us? We're already dead.
You cannot kill me in any way that matters.
>>
No. 989486 ID: 8a51ec

"Look, I don't know if this is some elaborate scam or you're just both being punk-asses, but I'm looking to get off life support as soon as possible and you're wasting my time with this nonsense. Cool your jets."
>>
No. 989487 ID: b1b4f3

Actually maybe you should punch him out before he fully transforms?
>>
No. 989488 ID: c50ee8

"Dude, have you considered recording yourself turning into werewolf and doing werewolf things with a crystal ball and making an OnlyClairevoyants account?
Friend of mine told me some people pay top money to see werewolves in action."
>>
No. 989501 ID: afe7de

>>989488
Holy shit this please
>>
No. 989506 ID: f8fa51

"If that's a threat, then this is a mugging. I'm pretty sure you don't want that kind of attention, dude."
>>
No. 989532 ID: eedbeb
File 161456880739.png - (143.96KB , 1000x900 , p16.png )
989532

Your helpful words about calming the fuck down and going into sex work to make money die in your throat as Vlad lunges forward and bites your hand.
>>
No. 989534 ID: b1b4f3

>>989532
Kick him inna nuts.
>>
No. 989535 ID: 8a51ec

We might be well within the bounds of self-defense by now, but that doesn't mean we can't give him one last chance to quit it before we resort to physical persuasion.
>>
No. 989536 ID: c50ee8

Hit him right in the snoot.
>>
No. 989538 ID: ce39da

"Rude. I was stating a fact, man."
>>
No. 989540 ID: e85a08

"Good job, dumbass. Now we both need werewolf potions."
>>
No. 989573 ID: 0fbdcd

Boop his snoot.
With your knuckles.
Aggressively.
>>
No. 989574 ID: eedbeb
File 161461302685.png - (139.09KB , 1000x900 , p17.png )
989574

The sharp canine teeth draw blood as you wrench your fist free. You’ve probably been infected, but you care more about beating the snot out of this guy than worrying about dealing with a chronic illness.

You are a STRONG woman with less than average lung capacity. You knee Vlad under the chin and hear the satisfying clack of teeth, followed up with a magnificent punch to his snout. The werewolf yelps and scampers away. Hopefully he can recover before he bites anyone else.
>>
No. 989579 ID: a461e7

If you've gotten infected, Body (and Jadis) owes you BIG TIME. Being a werewolf will only make you a badder bitch.

Hell, even if you got lucky, Body wasn't handling that guy. And getting roped into conning someone doesn't exactly feel good, especially if you have to rely on the person conning people to fix you up.

After all of this, they'd better deliver.
>>
No. 989581 ID: 8a51ec

Let Body know it's no longer an option to not get us that replacement soul now. Get really close to her face too, she might not hear us clearly.
>>
No. 989587 ID: eb1fcc

>>989581
stop it. Motherfucker brought us back from the dead. We owe them, not vis-versa, even with the werewolf shenanigans.
>>
No. 989588 ID: 8a51ec

>>989587
She's also proven to be an irresponsible douchebag, and is currently setting a speedrun world record for burning through goodwill. We still can't be certain this wasn't a terribly executed setup either.
>>
No. 989593 ID: b1ad43

Probably wasnt a set up, but we still got screwed for Jadis and Body ripping off that werewolf vampire.
Let's hurry up to meeting the witch before more werepyres show up.
>>
No. 989594 ID: ce39da

>>989588
Getting hissy with her also isn't productive, though. We don't actually have much choice in the grand scheme of things; we can only affect the things that pop up along the way, like we did here.

I'd be more worried about the poor guy coming back and seeing us as his alpha or some bullshit like that.

"A'ight, back to our regularly scheduled program..."
>>
No. 989606 ID: b1b4f3

>>989574
Tell Body she owes you. That should be enough.
>>
No. 989609 ID: eedbeb
File 161463520972.png - (94.26KB , 1000x900 , p18.png )
989609

Now that the adrenaline is wearing off, you can feel the full pain of the bite. Your hand doesn’t look particularly different, but then again you’re not familiar with how lycanthropy works.

You’re feeling less than charitable towards Body, who’s stopped huddling on the sidewalk and is trying to get a look at your hand.
>>
No. 989610 ID: eedbeb
File 161463522508.png - (164.64KB , 1000x900 , p19.png )
989610

“Aw man, you were really cool just now.” she says. “Sorry about Vlad, I really am going to pay him back. I can stitch your hand while we walk, if you want.”

“You owe me for that. I hope you don’t have any other angry customers waiting to ambush us.” you retort.

“Eh…Well better keep moving just in case.”
>>
No. 989611 ID: eedbeb
File 161463524059.png - (107.03KB , 1000x900 , p20.png )
989611

The sun is falling fast as you arrive at a five-story apartment building. The front is unlocked, and you follow Body to the middle of the fourth floor.

Body knocks on a door in dire need of a new paint job. “I don’t have a key.” she tells you apologetically. “I could lose it or something.”

The door cracks open and another cat peeks out at you.

“Who’s that with you, Body? Spare parts?” whispers the cat.
>>
No. 989612 ID: 8a51ec

"No thanks, my life has been threatened enough today already."
>>
No. 989613 ID: c50ee8

"A new friend, apparently, Body says she saw me dead in an alleyway and she tied her magic string to me to keep in this world. Also, we ran into Vlad, the werewolf. He demanded a refund right then and there and bit me in the hand when we didn't give it to him."
>>
No. 989629 ID: d63ea8

As funny as 'Spare Parts' would be for a nickname, no.
We're just some person Body found in an alley.

If they ask for our name we can just tell them.
>>
No. 989630 ID: 0fae41

Whisper back: My name's Evelyn, not spare parts.
>>
No. 989631 ID: b1b4f3

>>989611
RED FLAG RED FLAG
Make sure Body can't take off your string. If that happens you will probably become spare parts. Explain the situation.
>>
No. 989639 ID: eedbeb
File 161464327803.png - (157.39KB , 1000x900 , p21.png )
989639

“I’m Evelyn.” you say evenly. “Body saved my life and I punched a werewolf for her. I need a new soul.”

“Jadis doesn’t like customers knowing where we live.” the cat tells Body.

“She’s a pal, Kibble. Let us in.”

The cat undoes the chain lock and opens the door. They’re skeletal, missing an arm. Not Jadis, probably, despite the creepy words.
>>
No. 989643 ID: b6f20b
989643

Joke to ease the mood."Hey, Kibble, nice bod, are you in the supermodel bussiness?"
Then go see the witch.
>>
No. 989647 ID: 73451a

Examine the interior of the room, you’ve never seen where a witch lives, it’s probably kinda cool.
>>
No. 989649 ID: b1b4f3

>>989639
Ask them if they're okay. They look thin.
>>
No. 989651 ID: ce39da

Cracking wise at Kibble won't engender goodwill with these people.

"It's not every day your witch gets to see a girl whose soul spontaneously left its body for an as-of-yet unknown reason, never to return."
>>
No. 989652 ID: d63ea8

>>989651
This seems like a good approach.
>>
No. 989653 ID: eedbeb
File 161465522175.png - (164.57KB , 1000x900 , p22.png )
989653

When you enter the apartment, you get a better look at Kibble. They have a fresh scar that curves around their hunched torso and you wisely decide not to comment on their physical situation.

Body squeezes past where you’re hesitating on the entryway rug and takes an appreciative sniff. The smell of spaghetti is strong enough to reach your nicotine dampened stomach. Losing your soul doesn’t seem to have impacted your appetite.
>>
No. 989654 ID: eedbeb
File 161465525016.png - (170.44KB , 1000x900 , p23.png )
989654

You take a few steps to keep up with Body, who’s tugging gently on the string, and look around curiously. To your left is the source of the delicious smells. A cat with an enormous eyeball in their forehead looks up from their cutting board to squint at you.

The walls of the hallway are shabby in a similar way to the front door, and two loud voices are coming from the living room ahead.
>>
No. 989655 ID: 8a51ec

What's cooking good looking?
Except y'know, we shouldn't actually say that out loud. They probably wouldn't like the pun, let alone get it. Unless they do...
>>
No. 989657 ID: b1b4f3

>>989654
This witch must like cats.
She's probably going to try to get you to work for her in some way.

...makes me wonder if Body was sent out to find a cat and kill them then drag them back so the witch can use the payment of a soul to persuade them to stay.

Anyway, tell the chef that it smells good.
>>
No. 989663 ID: c621b7

Compliment the chefs cooking, maybe when yer done with the witch you can see about getting some sphaghett
>>
No. 989690 ID: 3007be

Give a friendly wave, then go see what that racket in the living room is about.
>>
No. 989698 ID: eedbeb
File 161470788617.png - (143.14KB , 1000x900 , p24.png )
989698

“That smells really good.” you say, loud enough that the chef can hear you.

“Cookie’s the best, he’s trying to get Jadis to teach him potions even though I keep telling him that Jadis thinks potions are boring.” Body explains.

Cookie grumbles through his teeth. He’s blushing, and you think it’s kind of cute.
>>
No. 989702 ID: 0b824c

Make a mental note to chat it up with Cookie after having met Jadis.
>>
No. 989705 ID: a81d57

>>989698
this. give him a wave as you go
>>
No. 989707 ID: eb1fcc

>>989698
...have you tried the internet?
>>
No. 989711 ID: eedbeb
File 161471630584.png - (226.43KB , 1000x900 , p25.png )
989711

You give Cookie a wave and a wink goodbye before following Body towards the racket in the living room.

Two cats are playing video games on the couch, the one on the right practically frothing while the other laughs. Body clears her throat to try and get their attention, but they ignore her.

“How many people live here?” you mutter to Body. You’re genuinely curious, the apartment can’t be larger than a thousand square feet.

“These are the last two. Me an’ Kibble sleep on the floor, so it works out.”
>>
No. 989712 ID: c50ee8

"Hey, guys. Guys! I'm here to see Jadis! I need a soul reparation spell. Guys!"
>>
No. 989715 ID: b1b4f3

>>989711
Hey kids where's the boss lady?
>>
No. 989719 ID: 8cb67d

Look at what game they’re playing, maybe you’ve played it before, then ask where the boss lady is
>>
No. 989736 ID: eedbeb
File 161473599751.png - (161.80KB , 1000x900 , p26.png )
989736

"Hey, guys. I'm here to see Jadis. I probably need a new soul, do you know where she is?”

Your assertive voice finally gets the cats’ attention, and they turn to snicker at you.

“Sorry, Jadis is just sooooo busy. Can’t be bothered with boring stuff like that.” the one with a bow says.

The teasing tone pisses you off. It doesn’t help that Body is stepping on your foot rather insistently.
>>
No. 989737 ID: 210651

"Sigh. Jadis is the one with the bow, isn't it, Body?"
>>
No. 989739 ID: b1b4f3

...finds potions boring, these are the "last two"... yeah. Jadis is the girl.
>>
No. 989742 ID: 8a51ec

"Something tells me Jadis isn't as busy as I'm led to believe, but if I say anything else then my soul is probably not going to be the only thing I need a replacement for."
>>
No. 989744 ID: e8a5e0

Ask Body who these guys are. If they, or he responds, and they seem important: let it lie and let him do the talking.
>>
No. 989745 ID: 64f0ab

Body is a girl, she said.
>>
No. 989746 ID: eedbeb
File 161474516004.png - (137.57KB , 1000x900 , p27.png )
989746

“I feel like I’m missing something.” you whisper to Body.

“You are. It’s embarrassing.” Body says back, very audibly.

“So Jadis is that girl with the bow?”

“No, that’s Margot. She does computer stuff. Jadis is the one with the t-shirt.”

Jadis and Margot are still snickering in the background. It’s with a dawning sensation of horror that you realize you’re the most mature person in the room.
>>
No. 989748 ID: b1b4f3

Be like "ohhh noo I sure hope Jadis finishes whatever she's doing so I can take this annoying white thread off..."
>>
No. 989749 ID: 8a51ec

"Thank you for introducing them to me by name, it would've been embarrassing if I assumed neither of them were Jadis."
>>
No. 989750 ID: 64f0ab

Join them in playing the game.
>>
No. 989751 ID: 64f0ab

Oh, and tell them "I got bitten by Vlad the vampire werewolf, he wants a refund on that anti-transformation potion."
>>
No. 989752 ID: 3ed3c3

>>989746
DEEP INHALE
"Okay. Jadis? I am having a Bad Day™. I woke up on my back in a filthy alley with a headache and tied to Body here after just trying to enjoy a cigarette on my break. Imagine my surprise when I learned that I apparently lost my soul, and that the only person who can help me is you. Now imagine how strongly I began to doubt that after a guy by the name of Vlad - who happens to be a customer of yours - not only mentioned that you may not be the most helpful person around, but also took a bite out of my hand. So, now that I'm here, how about we skip all the bullshit? You help me, and we can all go our separate ways and never bother each other ever again."
>>
No. 989755 ID: eb1fcc

>>989752
why do you persist in trying to take the unproductive bitch shit approach?

hard no, customer service face.
An immature dweeb like this isn't going to respond at all well to that nonsense.

"...Right. Hello, my name is Evelyn. By the way, you might wanna watch out, some psychotic named Vlad bit me over some potion you apparently owe them.

I'm assuming from that encounter you won't get me a new soul without something in return, so tell me what needs doing to get you working on that."
>>
No. 989759 ID: 6c227a

>>989756
Why? explaining our disagreement with other suggestions is like half of what we do here. I don't like yours because it is a monologue, meaning it'll never get out in a conversation like this, but I feel eb1fcc's point too.

>>989736
Play it cool. "It's chill I guess, I can wait. Apparently I'm stuck with Body here till it gets sorted. So what are we playing?"
>>
No. 989771 ID: eb1fcc

>>989756
I retain and will continue to flex the right to say your suggestions are shit

>>989736
one other thing occurs to me, we should probably mention body ate a cigarette. I dunno how the zombie stuff works but I can't imagine a cancer stick in the tum-tum's good for anyone
>>
No. 989772 ID: 094652

Pick Jadis up. Don't stop until she comes up with a plan.
>>
No. 989777 ID: 0fbdcd

I think customer service mode is the right move here too. What's the actual age gap like? Are these kids, teens? Is there a mom somewhere we can threaten to talk to?
We need not only an anti-werewolf potion, but an anti-vamp potion and a new soul because of Jadis's fucking around. It's honestly kind of impressive how quickly they managed to shaft us in three different ways.
>>
No. 989786 ID: eedbeb
File 161478961404.png - (135.00KB , 1000x900 , p28.png )
989786

You remember Body mentioning that Jadis was a bit older than college age, despite the witch looking like a teenager. When you were young, your height has always made people think you were older, though you’re in your early 30s now.

You quietly thank Body and turn towards Jadis.

“I’m Evelyn, and like I said, I need a new soul and a werewolf potion. Body can vouch for me, but if you’re not interested I can find a different witch.” you say in your best customer service voice.

“I am, Margot’s just giving me a hard time.” Jadis stands up and gives a luxurious stretch. She’s short and wiry. “Let me take a look.”
>>
No. 989787 ID: eedbeb
File 161478964867.png - (144.39KB , 1000x900 , p29.png )
989787

Jadis’ eyes split open vertically as she approaches. You manage not to flinch as she leans forward and examines your bitten hand.

“Got that from Vlad, customer of yours.” you say.

Jadis prods the still raw puncture marks and doesn’t respond. She turns to your wrist with the string, and squints at the connection.

“That’s neat.” she says. “Wouldn’t have guessed it would work like that. Body must have been fast.”

Her wide, toothy smile grows while she fiddles with the string.
>>
No. 989788 ID: 8a51ec

Fast? Alright, I think it's time we asked Body for more info on how she found us.
>>
No. 989789 ID: 9a2966

>Wide toothy grin grows
Fuggeddabout that. What's going on with her eyes?

"If you're gonna tear that off to see what happens, please do-"

Wake up again as a frankensteinian monstrosity on a slab.

"-n't resurrect me as a monster or something. Dammit."

If that does not, in fact, happen, just secretly be a bit disappointed that you now still have to deal with the soul loss and werewolf bite before you end up losing your job over either.

More relevant questions:

"So what did Body actually do?"

"What can cause sudden soul loss?"

"What's it cost to get a witch's aid these days? I'm not rich, but I did protect Body with my body against one of your irate customers, so I hope that'll count for something."
>>
No. 989790 ID: eb1fcc

>>989771
quit being a weenie.

>>989787
Huh. Neat trick with the eyes.

So uh, should I be worried about mad wizardry here? I'm not gonna wake up with spare eyes or an extra head or something, yeah?

Because if I get to pick, I want extra arms so I can punch four people at the same time
>>
No. 989791 ID: 19da02

Have you lost a finger?
>>
No. 989792 ID: 3ed3c3

>>989787
Yeah, sure, okay.
Look, can she help or not? This whole situation is awkward, inconvenient and uncomfortable.
>>
No. 989801 ID: 0fca08

Sorry, eb1fcc, we'll try to make the story more wholesome.

Let Jadis examine you further.
>>
No. 989802 ID: eedbeb
File 161480217911.png - (144.09KB , 1000x900 , p30.png )
989802

“Er, fast?” you ask.

“Well yeah, there’s a small window where the body can adapt to a new soul, without magical intervention, of course.” Jadis uses her claws to undo the sloppy knot on the string. You hold your breath, but all she does is tie a better one. “The vessel has to be ready to go before you add the spark, took me ages to put Body’s nervous system together, and that was the easy part…”

“You got her started, it’s all over.” Margot sighs fondly from the sofa.

“Necromancy. Best subject. The real stuff, not just animating a skeleton and waving it around. All three aspects of life have to be functional and self-sustaining. Much harder to debug than code—”

“Do you know why I lost my soul?” you interrupt.

“No clue!” Jadis looks giddy.

“So can you help me or not?”

Jadis takes both of your hands in hers. “I’m the best bet you’ve got, for sure. It’ll take me a while to figure it out, but I’ll start working right away. Oh yeah, and lycanthropy affects the soul but the pieces I used for Body were already infected so that’s no problem.”
>>
No. 989806 ID: 8a51ec

That opens up a lot of questions, but we should ask one we had before we learned that tidbit about souls. Body said she saw a white flash when our soul left our body, does that have to do with the reason why or is a white flash just what usually happens during the process?
>>
No. 989807 ID: 3ed3c3

Well, that's... information.
So, do I just hang out or what?
>>
No. 989817 ID: 0fca08

"So, the werewolf bite won't affect me, or it will once I get a new soul?"
>>
No. 989818 ID: b1b4f3

>>989802
Well looks like you won't get a lycanthropy cure. That's is going to be annoying but it could also be useful, to augment your strength even further.
Also I think it's very clear that Jadis made an age-reversal potion or something and overshot her intended age. She was probably aiming for 18 and got 15 or something.

Hmm, she's interested in you, maybe you can leverage that. Get her to teach Cookie potions and he'll get that part of the business working again, which would help you in case you don't like being a werewolf.
>>
No. 989838 ID: eedbeb
File 161481871105.png - (138.24KB , 1000x900 , p31.png )
989838

This is all new information, and you feel like you’re missing the basics.

“Explain to me how souls work.” you say.

Jadis bounces on her feet. “So souls are a weird cosmic checkbox for consciousness and magic and stuff. If you don’t have one, you’re a breathing corpse. It’s weird that yours left because usually they’re super hard to extract, only leaving once the body and brain are beyond repair.”

The witch takes a deep breath.

“Magic comes from the soul and magic can also alter it, which is how vampires and werewolves change new people. No soul, no chance of infection, so you’re fine. Also, according to science, you and Body are technically the same person right now.”
>>
No. 989839 ID: eedbeb
File 161481873274.png - (140.23KB , 1000x900 , p32.png )
989839

You consider Jadis’ words. You’re totally out of your depth, but the witch seems genuine, if a bit eccentric.

“Okay, a few things before I agree to this.” You lean over Jadis, trying to look as intimidating as possible.

“One, get your shit together. I don’t know how your business works, but it sounds like you don’t take it seriously. Teach Cookie how to make potions and he’ll help.

Two, I want you to tell me what you’re planning before you try any weird experiments. I’m relying on you, but I’m also ready to take Body and walk out of here.”

“Oh hell yeah.” says Body. “I wanna hang out with Evelyn.”

Margot chimes in. “Evelyn does seem pretty cool.”

Jadis chews her lip. “Yes, um, we should definitely talk more. Wanna stay for dinner?”
>>
No. 989842 ID: b1b4f3

>>989838
>only leaving once the body and brain are beyond repair
TO DO: get a medical examination.
>same person
Uh... does this mean you only feel like you're you because you have different memories? That's so weird.

>>989839
...sure.
She didn't agree to your terms yet though.
>>
No. 989843 ID: a1ba2a

Don’t back down, get a firm confirmation, for all we know witches can’t lie and you might be able to intimidate an oath out of them to make sure they actually help.
>>
No. 989845 ID: f679fe

Yes, I'd like to stay for dinner, thanks for inviting me.
>>
No. 989846 ID: 8a51ec

Dinner would be a good way for us to get to know Cookie, and everybody else or something. Or this is one of those houses where a few people don't show up for dinner.
>>
No. 989847 ID: 3ed3c3

>>989839
I would like that very much, yes. What are we having?
>>
No. 989861 ID: 651ae0

"Abso-fucking-lutely, but seriously, get yourself together and no weird stuff without asking first."

Thank Body for letting you borrow his soul to run your 'me' software/hardware, that's pretty cool of him in retrospect.
>>
No. 989866 ID: 0fbdcd

Turn it down from an 8 to a 7. They seem... well intentioned? Which tbh is probably as good as it gets for a 20something Witch.
Stay for dinner, chill out a little, but we're gonna need to fish for a definite response to those terms we just set after or while we eat.
>>
No. 989868 ID: 86794b

Or at least get confirmation on #2, first, then #1 later, like at the end of dinner, when you know a little more about the people here. Committing somebody to "shape up" and/or teach somebody else an unknown amount of material is likely a pretty hard sell.
>>
No. 989897 ID: 0ee971

Spaghetti time. Hold Body’s hand the whole time you’re eating as if you get off on PDA, but really it’s just because it’d be a mess any other way. Broach the subject of just how the hell Jadis intends to re-Soul you, and push the point that teaching Cookie to brew potions could improve her business.
>>
No. 989902 ID: eedbeb
File 161487421669.png - (117.24KB , 1000x900 , p33.png )
989902

“I’ll stay, but no surprises.” you say sternly.

Jadis’ eyes go back to normal and she darts around you to the hallway. “Yep, for sure, just gonna help Cookie set up.”

The witch leaves you with Body and Margot, who offers you a game controller.
>>
No. 989903 ID: eb1fcc

>>989902
sick, lets pop in some titanfall 2
>>
No. 989904 ID: 8a51ec

They were playing a very obviously 2-player game when we arrived. Army of Two?
>>
No. 989905 ID: 9a2966

>Controller, prospects of getting your ass beat

Accept it begrudgingly.

"Eeeh, gimme a handicap. 's fair, my hand's just been bit. Bet you could still beat me one-handed from the looks of it, too."

Look to Body.

"Actually, you wanting a go, buddy?"
>>
No. 989906 ID: 9a2966

>>989904
Definitely some kind of versus game.
>>
No. 989921 ID: 3ed3c3

>>989902
>Margot offers you a game controller.
Oh, shit! Vidya!
What are we playing?
>>
No. 989924 ID: eedbeb
File 161488562046.png - (115.35KB , 1000x900 , p34.png )
989924

Body drags you to the couch and sits, leaving a space for you in the middle.

“What are we playing?” you ask, taking the controller.

“Super Mash Brothers! It’s a fun fighting game with characters from a bunch of big IPs.” grins Margot. “I can teach you if you’ve never played, and if you stick around here you might get pretty good.”

Body gets a controller as well, and Margot puts the two of you on a team against her. After a brief description of the moves, you start fumbling with around the stage.

“Appreciate you talking some sense into Jadis.” Margot says, absolutely whaling on Body’s character with an anime swordsman.
>>
No. 989925 ID: eb1fcc

>>989924
>Mash Bros

Crush them.

Crush them with Kirboy, for insult to injury.
>>
No. 989927 ID: f7cde4

"You are welcome. So, why does Jadis open her eyes like that, magical enhancements or such?"
>>
No. 989928 ID: 3ed3c3

There's a fine line between helpful, constructive critique and scathing, hurtful rebuke. I like to think I walk that line every day.
Now try not to suck too hard at Mash.
>>
No. 989929 ID: 9a2966

>Talking sense
Shrug. You'll see if it takes.

Now lose at Mash with all the grace, humility and repressed fury you can muster.
>>
No. 989936 ID: eedbeb
File 161489685906.png - (210.30KB , 1000x900 , p35.png )
989936

Margot told you to play as a small pink ball that floats in the air and you still manage to fall off the edge until you run out of lives.

“That was a good first try.” Margot says encouragingly.

You snort. “I’ll keep practicing, not used to seeing all these things moving around on the screen at once.”

That reminds you that you still have a lot of questions about Jadis. You wait for Margot slash Body into the side of the screen before you ask.

“Why did Jadis’ eyes do that when she was examining me?”

“Vision is how most witches activate their magic. I don’t really get it, but it’s all about seeing the structure of things, and then rearranging the parts in your mind.”
>>
No. 989937 ID: b1b4f3

>>989936
Ask if Jadis is a child prodigy or if she made herself younger somehow.
>>
No. 989942 ID: f7cde4

I'd like to say we all truly love tippler's quality and prolificness in both this story and un Don't be Late. This is really cool!

Continue to play. You can do it!
"So, are you Jadis' roommate?"
>>
No. 989943 ID: f7cde4

I'd like to say we all truly love tippler's quality and prolificness in both this story and un Don't be Late. This is really cool!

Continue to play. You can do it!
"So, are you Jadis' roommate?"
>>
No. 989945 ID: eb1fcc

>>989936
play as the soldier with the nice ass next
>>
No. 989949 ID: eedbeb
File 161491053228.png - (115.66KB , 1000x900 , p36.png )
989949

Jadis shouts something incomprehensible from the kitchen.

“WHAT?” Margot shouts back.

“IT’S LIKE PAINTING A PICTURE WHERE YOU CAN ONLY SEE THE PAINT WHEN YOUR EYES ARE OPEN.”

“Yeah, what she said. Hot tip if a witch is trying to spell you, punch them in the face. It’s faster.” Margot yawns and flings one foot over the armrest.

“I’ll remember that. Are you and Jadis close? You guys look kind of young.” You manage to land a hit on Body, and perk up in your seat.

“Ah, just the ole baby face and short combo. Jadis is cool and I have a stable income, so we’re pals.”

“I LOVE YOU FOR MORE THAN YOUR MONEY, MARGOT.”
>>
No. 989950 ID: c50ee8

"Wait, if my soul left my body and I'm still kicking, does that mean that me, the real me, has left this world and I am basically her flesh and bone duplicate?
>>
No. 989954 ID: 0fbdcd

If my soul is gone, is it, like, gone-gone? If some other guy's soul gets stuffed into me, does it do a hostile takeover?
>>
No. 989959 ID: 3ed3c3

Cool beans.
I'll be perfectly honest, I've never played this game before and I'm only passingly familiar with these characters, and that's mostly due to cultural osmosis.
>>
No. 989972 ID: 422cea

"So... If my soul is gone, what is a soul and what am I, or people actually operating on? Last I checked I was lead to believe the soul's supposed to be kind of the whole personality, memories, etcetera and here I am playing a video game..."
>>
No. 989973 ID: 86794b

One way of phrasing the "soul" questions might be, like, "So, if my body thinks it's me, does my soul also think it's me?" "Also, Jadis mentioned 'three aspects of life' - is there a third thing that maybe thinks it's me?"
>>
No. 989974 ID: 86794b

Also - I don't think you've yet thanked Body for apparently saving your life. Now, while there's nothing else specific being discussed, might be a good time to express appreciation.
>>
No. 989999 ID: eedbeb
File 161496618461.png - (112.59KB , 1000x900 , p37.png )
989999

“Anyway, magic isn’t really my thing. I can tell you how to build a website and win in neutral, but not how all that stuff works.” Margot continues.

You’re having trouble focusing on the game, too busy thinking about what Jadis said about the three parts of life.

“Hey Body, can I ask you a few questions about souls?” you ask, voice lowered so Jadis won’t hear from the kitchen. Margot raises an eyebrow but doesn’t say anything.

“What?” the zombie seems wary.

“Are souls sentient?”

The zombie gives you a surprisingly angry look. “If they are, then witches have a lot to answer for.”

“So no, then. I’m just worried that I’m not me without my soul, you know.”

“Consciousness is in the brain, souls are what let you be conscious. I don’t like talking about this.” Body mutters.

Margot goes back to halfheartedly kicking your characters around the screen while you stew.

“I don’t think I ever said thanks for saving me.” you finally say. “Thank you, I like being alive.”

“No problem.”
>>
No. 990004 ID: f698b7

Tell Margot and Body about yourself, and also ask what Cookie and Kibble are, because they don't seem to be zombies.
>>
No. 990014 ID: eedbeb
File 161499196426.png - (162.65KB , 1000x900 , p37b.png )
990014

>Tell Margot and Body about yourself and also ask what Cookie and Kibble are.

While the smell of spaghetti sauce spreads through the cramped apartment, you chat more with Margot and Body. You don’t have much to say about yourself, you live alone and work as a barista, got half a degree in business before you realized you didn’t want to work in an office. A few drinks with some gal pals every week is all the excitement you’re used to. A quiet life for someone living in a city with so much magical activity.
>>
No. 990015 ID: eedbeb
File 161499204249.png - (158.31KB , 1000x900 , p38.png )
990015

Body explains that Kibble is a former witch, one of the many turned monstrous by a wayward spell. Unlike common monsters, such as vampires and werewolves, her infection isn’t contagious and she takes occasional jobs hunting her fellow beasts.
>>
No. 990016 ID: eedbeb
File 161499206195.png - (113.59KB , 1000x900 , p39.png )
990016

Turns out Cookie is Margot’s baby brother. He doesn’t live in the apartment, but likes to come and try to butter Jadis up to get magic lessons. Cookie didn’t get accepted to witch school and apparently it’s ill-advised to learn magic on your own, so bothering Jadis is his best chance to fulfill a lifelong dream.
>>
No. 990017 ID: 8a51ec

Baby brother? How does he look older than Margot? This is getting weird.
>>
No. 990019 ID: b1b4f3

>>990016
He didn't get the short genetics, then?
>>
No. 990020 ID: c50ee8

>>990017
Oh, Margot did say she and Jadis are short and baby-faced and that's why they look so young.

Did he get his extra eye from making his own spells? Can he open his regular eyes?
>>
No. 990034 ID: eb1fcc

huh. You'd think there'd be tutoring services for something like that.
>>
No. 990036 ID: eedbeb
File 161504861121.png - (159.21KB , 1000x900 , p40.png )
990036

Before you can ask more about Cookie, Jadis calls everyone to the kitchen for dinner. There’s a small circular table weighed down with carbs and red sauce behind the stove counter, and you grab one of the shitty plastic chairs as Cookie serves breadsticks.

You tuck in your elbows and focus on eating while the other five cats bicker and laugh. Kibble nibbles at her food, while Jadis and Margot slurp spaghetti and talk with their mouths full.
>>
No. 990038 ID: f4d215

Tell jokes.
Ask Kibble if something's wrong with her food.
>>
No. 990042 ID: dfbac0

Politely eat your food, you're technically a guest after all. Make sure to give your compliments to the chef. Other than that, try and see if you can do some self reflection, maybe if you try hard enough you can see the hole where your soul should be.
>>
No. 990044 ID: 8a51ec

Let's eat our food in relative peace, and maybe excessively compliment Cookie.
>>
No. 990060 ID: eedbeb
File 161507816638.png - (95.63KB , 1000x900 , p41.png )
990060

You politely eat your food, making sure to compliment Cookie, who seems to be in a good mood.

Jadis finally leans back in her chair with a contented sigh. “Alright, I’m going to start Cookie on some exercises while he does the dishes. What’s everyone else doing tonight?”

Kibble nudges a meatball with her fork. “Got a job. Be back late.”

“Nothing much for me. Might play some League of Lols if you’re too busy to Mash.” Margot says.

“What do you guys want to do?” Jadis asks, looking at you and Body with a broad smile.

Do you:
-Go home for the night (with Body)
-Hangout with Jadis and Cookie
-Hangout with Margot
-Go with Kibble (dangerous)
>>
No. 990064 ID: ce39da

"Is it safe to assume I'm not getting that soul just yet? Body's alright, but I don't wanna be handcuffed to him forever. That'd probably get inconvenient for everyone involved."

If they need time, don't pressure them; souls probably aren't the easiest thing to come by. Just head home with Body in that case.
>>
No. 990068 ID: 12b116

KIBBLE KIBBLE KIBBLE
>>
No. 990070 ID: b1b4f3

>>990060
Hangout with Cookie. And Jadis I guess.
>>
No. 990073 ID: 46a721

Oh, man. I'm torn between staying or going with Kibble.

I... suppose we can keep chatting with Jadis and Cookie, but not before telling Kibble she can go to our house after she finishes her job so that she doesn't have to sleep on the floor anymore.
>>
No. 990074 ID: 86794b

Jadis and Cookie
>>
No. 990083 ID: 25e74a

Ask Kibble if you two coming along would cramp her style, and see if Body is up for it. Otherwise, stay and hang with Cookie and Jadis.
>>
No. 990089 ID: eedbeb
File 161508760420.png - (140.19KB , 1000x900 , p42.png )
990089

While going with Kibble to fight monsters sounds absolutely kick-ass, you think it would be best to stick around Jadis until you get some questions answered.

“I’ll help wash dishes. Good luck and stay safe.” you tell Kibble with a smile. The lean cat swishes her tail and gives a tiny nod.
>>
No. 990090 ID: eedbeb
File 161508762003.png - (142.79KB , 1000x900 , p43.png )
990090

Cookie packs up the dirty plates after Margot and Kibble excuse themselves. You notice that Jadis has activated her magic and instinctively prepare to punch her in face.

The witch lunges for Cookie instead, who freezes with surprise.

“First lesson Cookie! We’re gonna open those beautiful peepers.”
>>
No. 990093 ID: 8a51ec

...Is that gonna hurt him? We should stay ready for face-punching.
>>
No. 990118 ID: 68e236

Let him put the dishes down before opening them peepers!
>>
No. 990133 ID: b1b4f3

Heck yeah let's see more of them beautiful eyes.
Take the dishes for him.
>>
No. 990152 ID: 2a88b2

Rescue the dishes and leave them to it.
>>
No. 990155 ID: 12b116

rescue dishes and stare intensely at the magic happening.
>>
No. 990160 ID: eedbeb
File 161513221597.png - (164.92KB , 1000x900 , p44.png )
990160

You dive for the plates as Cookie gasps. The fur on the back of your neck stands up and Body grumbles in her throat about giving people time to prepare when altering their perception of reality.

The massive eye on Cookie’s forehead closes, and his normal, Margot-like eyes open.

Jadis clucks her tongue with approval. “Alright, I know it’s been a while for you, but tell me what you see.”

Cookie promptly collapses into fetal position on the floor.
>>
No. 990171 ID: 3ed3c3

Well, that's not good. I take it he isn't seeing anything he likes.
Jadis, maybe you should warn people before you work your hoodoo on them.
>>
No. 990173 ID: 9a2966

So what's the usual recovery procedure for someone suffering from sudden perspective shift?

You can pat 'em on the back and tell 'em it'll all be alright and learning potions will totes be worth it, but you wonder whether that might not cut it.
>>
No. 990185 ID: ed661a

Hold his hand and tell him to focus you.
Tell him he is still here in the dinner room with his friends.
Tell him the pain will pass.
>>
No. 990189 ID: ce39da

"Dude, you might wanna warn him next time before you go flipping a switch on his eyes." Put the dishes down and get down on the floor with him. "Hey. Buddy. Your ears still work like normal, right? Just listen to the sound of my voice and take a few deep breaths. Nothing's going to hurt you here, no matter how strange everything must look right now."
>>
No. 990192 ID: eedbeb
File 161514965274.png - (203.90KB , 1000x900 , p45.png )
990192

Jadis crouches next to Cookie. “Come on, focus on me. What do you see?”

“Bright.” says Cookie.

“Great, you can sense soul. Body will be a bit dimmer, can you make her out?”

Cookie nods, gloved paws covering his eyes.

“Hard mode is Evelyn, she’s just barely glowing.”

Cookie shakes his head. You want to comfort the poor guy but your hands are full of dishes. You stealthily put them on the counter.

“Last one, you see Tim chilling above you?” Jadis asks. “It’s the big guy looming over everything in soul space. Kind of weird looking. You can call it whatever you want but I like using Tim.”
>>
No. 990193 ID: eedbeb
File 161514968411.png - (128.99KB , 1000x900 , p46.png )
990193

Your vision flickers and suddenly you’re seeing what Cookie must be seeing. An endless dark expanse in all directions, including under your feet. Points of light marking the souls of every person for miles, and a shadowy giant staring down at you.

“Whoa, slow down there, buddy. I’m ending the spell.” Jadis says. The world returns to normal.

Cookie is sniffling on the tile floor, and you lower yourself down to his side. You reach out your hand and he squeezes it.

“Focus on my voice. We’re still here, nothing is going to hurt you.” You say reassuringly.

“Well actually, Tim will try to eat you if—“

You shoot Jadis the most threatening stare you can muster and she falls silent.
>>
No. 990201 ID: ed661a
990201

"Let's try this again but much, much slower. Gently this time."
>>
No. 990203 ID: dfbac0

Reprimand Jadis, knowledge is danger, if you look upon higher beings they will look back, safety should be taught first, the magical realm is not something where you get thrown into the deep end, especially because the deep end is INFINITELY deep.
>>
No. 990212 ID: ce39da

"So, I assume that brief glimpse I caught was either Cookie or "Tim's" doing?"

"Cookie, if you had a bad experience, that's... fine. It's up to you whether you want to talk about it. I like to think I'm super calm, and even I was a little startled there."

"And you, Jadis... Honestly, I think you need to work on easing your student in - make sure he's sat down and ready for the lesson - instead of dropping him into the deep end. It was just too sudden, that's all."
>>
No. 990214 ID: b1b4f3

>>990193
Cookie should probably be warned about Tim once he calms down.
>>
No. 990227 ID: 422cea

Uhhh... So is Tim some sort of otherworldly guardian? Is it God? ...Does it work for God?
>>
No. 990258 ID: 2a88b2

>>990193
Stop. Rub two brain cells together.

DO NOT say “...Did Tim eat my soul?” but definitely add him to your list of suspects.

Continue the comfortening. Ask Jadis what the next step’s gonna be.
>>
No. 990260 ID: eedbeb
File 161517092012.png - (138.65KB , 1000x900 , p47.png )
990260

Jadis taps her foot on the floor impatiently while you help Cookie sit up. You’re shaken too, but you don’t show it. Seriously, what the fuck was all that.

“Ease him into it next time.” you say.

Jadis snorts. “That was easing him into it. I was with him and I stopped things before anything dangerous could happen. It’s not his first rodeo.”

Body is still standing, and you have to carefully maneuver so you don’t tug on the string.

“I’m okay.” Cookie mumbles. His eyes are closed again.

“See? He’s fine. So Tim hates it when you mess with time and the thing’s not a fan of space warping either, but it’s just so goddam useful that most witches do it anyway. Ready to jump back in? Think you can do it yourself this time?”

To your surprise, Cookie nods and lets go of your hand. You’re not sure what to do with yourself as Jadis chatters about painting metaphors and shaping magic.
>>
No. 990261 ID: 9a2966

There were dishes in need of clean.
>>
No. 990263 ID: dfbac0

Ask if witch sight is hereditary or if it requires effort, and whether it can just happen naturally.
>>
No. 990264 ID: b1b4f3

>>990260
I wonder what witches do to avoid being eaten while doing stuff that Tim doesn't like? Seems difficult!

But yeah, do dishes, let Cookie be independent.
>>
No. 990266 ID: c76614

Tell Cookies that you and Body are here to help, and to not hesitate in giving you a holler if he needs help again.
>>
No. 990293 ID: 3ed3c3

>>990260
We're going to do the dishes, but are available if anyone needs or wants anything.
>>
No. 990340 ID: eedbeb
File 161522257948.png - (158.09KB , 1000x900 , p48.png )
990340

>Wash the dishes

Scraping melted cheese and bits of tomato off of the dinner plates helps you mull over everything that’s happened today. It doesn’t seem like Jadis is going to get you a soul tonight, but at least Body doesn’t mind being stuck with you.

“Can anyone be a witch?” you ask as you give Body silverware to rinse.

“S’long as you have a normal soul, so not me or you at the moment.”

You lapse back into peaceful repetition and admire your completed stack of clean plates. Is there anything you want to do before you leave?
>>
No. 990357 ID: 07ed53

I'd thank everybody for helping you out/being cool.

You might also want to ask Jadis if you were supposed to also be able to see all the Tim/soul/crazy stuff or if she's even aware that you could when Cookie was seeing it.
>>
No. 990362 ID: ba3718

Give Body a hug with one arm and rub your fist on her head. Gal pal duo.
>>
No. 990368 ID: eedbeb
File 161524531526.png - (134.97KB , 1000x900 , p49.png )
990368

“Ready to go?” you ask Body. The zombie nods enthusiastically.

“Come back sometime tomorrow for an update.” Jadis calls out as you head for the door. “There’ll be someone here, and if I’ve stepped out I’ll be back within an hour.”

“Okay.” you yell back.
>>
No. 990369 ID: eedbeb
File 161524533652.png - (85.15KB , 1000x900 , p50.png )
990369

After a hurried walk through the dark city streets, you arrive at your own apartment, which is considerably better taken care of than Margot’s. Body seems impressed, and you give her a quick tour before getting ready for bed.

You construct a bed for Body out of an old sleeping bag, pillows, and all of your extra blankets. The zombie lies down obediently and you let your hand hang over the side as you try to relax your aching head.
>>
No. 990370 ID: eedbeb
File 161524535286.png - (110.21KB , 1000x900 , p51.png )
990370

Wait a second.
>>
No. 990372 ID: 3ed3c3

Hello? Testing 1, 2, 3. Is this thing on?
>>
No. 990373 ID: 9a2966

>>990370
Have you, in fact, been eaten by Tim?
>>
No. 990374 ID: 8a51ec

Now's not the time for fear, that comes later.
>>
No. 990375 ID: dfbac0

Finally realized your mistake? You didn't die dude, must have been some slip up. Either way you need to get back to your body before something bad happens to it and you can't get back in.
>>
No. 990376 ID: ce39da

So your soul wakes up when your body goes to sleep? Whack.

Do you remember why you were flying upward?

Actually, it doesn't really matter; even if that is how you're supposed to pass on, I doubt your death was at-all natural, even outside the legal sense.

Considering how high up you were when you woke up in the alley, our first task will be to see if we can go down. If we can, try surveying the city to locate our apartment complex and then (if we can remember) Jadis's. Ideally, we want to get to Jadis's apartment because she's our best bet for helping our soul stay put until we return, as she's the only one capable of perceiving us.
>>
No. 990377 ID: dea37f

We must get our bearings immedeately.
>>
No. 990378 ID: b1b4f3

>>990370
Do you remember what happened in the alley?
>>
No. 990387 ID: eedbeb
File 161525657836.png - (77.23KB , 1000x900 , p52.png )
990387

>Be your soul

You’re in the sky, sinking slowly through a cloud while stars shine overhead. It takes a moment to get used to not having legs, or hands, really. If you gently focus on a direction, you start moving towards it in space.

Floating in the air brings some memories back. In the alley, you had heard someone calling for help and you had gone toward the sound. That’s right, you’d flown towards the moon.

You’re not sure how that’s possible. The moon is pretty far away and you were almost there before you woke up. Maybe you’re mistaken, and things seem hazier the more you try to remember.
>>
No. 990388 ID: eedbeb
File 161525659114.png - (122.37KB , 1000x900 , p53.png )
990388

You dip below the clouds, and see the city in a strange hybrid view. Street lights and souls illuminate the streets, while Tim sits midair and overlooks it all. It doesn’t seem to notice you.

You don’t know how much time you have until you wake up. Should you:

-Go back to your body
-Go to Jadis
-Other
>>
No. 990389 ID: eb1fcc

>>990388
lets go to jadis, but like, try not to get spotted by the big boy
>>
No. 990390 ID: 094652

Move to Jadis and throw yourself into one of her soul traps for pickup
>>
No. 990391 ID: 8a51ec

Probably can't just swan dive back into our own body again, so time to pay Jadis a visit.
>>
No. 990392 ID: b1b4f3

Did you help the person on the moon? Well, it's been a whole day so if they waited this long it's probably fine to wait longer.

Go to Jadis, but we need to figure out some way to signal that you're still sapient. I think what happens is that normally when a soul exits the body they lose all memory of their former selves and stop thinking. You're special.
Can you make hand signals? Morph your body into letters?
>>
No. 990393 ID: eedbeb
File 161525864607.png - (165.81KB , 1000x900 , p54.png )
990393

Navigation is easy from above. It helps that you’ve lived in this city for more than a decade, and you quickly find the route you took a few hours ago.

You pass through the roof and arrive at the apartment. A portly man is arguing with Jadis in the doorway. Neither seems to have their eyes activated.

“—said you would be coming home, what’s gotten into you that you want to stay in this dump any longer.” blusters the man. “You’d rather waste your talents away then join the coven and do something useful.”

“I found a job to work on and you wouldn’t let Body come with me.” Jadis grits out.

“Yes, where is the abomination? I rather think you should have put it out of its misery ages ago.” the man says, peering into the apartment.
>>
No. 990397 ID: ce39da

Tap Jadis on the shoulder to try and get her attention. If this somehow ends up causing you to possess her or something (and I do not suggest that you actually try), try not to space out too much and have a retort ready:

"Hey - she walks, she talks, she has a soul, and she isn't a danger to society. Far as I can tell, that makes Body a person, and you don't 'put down' people. And besides, putting someone out of their misery kinda requires them to be miserable first, and no, 'embodying a miserable existence' does not count. Only Body gets to decide if she's suffering or not."
>>
No. 990398 ID: b1b4f3

>>990393
Do not try to get their attention until the second man leaves. He is not nice.
See if you can move things. Specifically, pen and paper.
>>
No. 990399 ID: 41cab2

See if you can physically manipulate anything, if not, try poking Jadis, if that doesent work, move on I guess?
>>
No. 990434 ID: 422cea

So your consciousness is able to shunt itself back to your soul when your body is asleep...

I wonder if you just developed a broken form of astral projection.
>>
No. 990445 ID: 12b116

stay out of sight of the man and eavesdrop
>>
No. 990457 ID: eedbeb
File 161530678339.png - (153.83KB , 1000x900 , p55.png )
990457

You try to get Jadis’ attention by waving from behind the man’s shoulder. When that fails, you find a pencil and paper in the next door apartment, but your wispy fingers can’t seem to grip the objects.

After some experimentation with the sleeping neighbor, you discover the only things you can interact with are other souls. You debate whether to give Jadis a tap on the shoulder, before deciding to wait until the man leaves.

“—not going to let you bully me. I’m an adult and I’m figuring things out. Mom understands that fine, but you just have to keep nagging me.”

“It’s not good for a witch to be so isolated. What if you need help and no one else is around to stop a spell or get you to safety?”

Jadis blinks. “I don’t want to talk to you anymore. Goodnight.”

She shuts the door and the man sighs before turning away. You pass through the door and bump into Jadis on the other side. She immediately puffs up with alarm and activates her magic.
>>
No. 990458 ID: eb1fcc

>>990457
just kinda float there and wave
>>
No. 990459 ID: 8a51ec

Jadis can probably put two and two together, but we should gesture at ourselves and spin our finger around our wrist just so she's sure.
>>
No. 990461 ID: 86794b

>>990459
This seems good. Also, prepare to book it if she looks like she's gonna chuck a spirit bomb at you.
>>
No. 990462 ID: c59aa3

See if you can shape yourself into letters to communicate.
>>
No. 990464 ID: 9a2966

Use your wisp-hands to form an 'O', the universal sign for 'Oujia board'.
>>
No. 990465 ID: 86794b

>>990464 "Can U burn a Luigi board?" https://youtu.be/15nNY7uofNw
>>
No. 990468 ID: eedbeb
File 161532082525.png - (130.46KB , 1000x900 , p56.png )
990468

A bubble closes in on you from all sides, leaving enough space for you to twist around. You mime a string on your wrist and wave.

Jadis gapes at you. “Evelyn?”

You nod. The witch looks more alarmed than excited. The bubble shrinks and you feel the surface of it repel you like a magnet.

“This is kind of unprecedented.” she says slowly. “You’re not going to explode or something?”

You shrug. You’d hoped Jadis would know what to do. At least she can keep your soul in this bubble for safekeeping until you get back to the apartment.
>>
No. 990470 ID: eedbeb
File 161532086280.png - (170.62KB , 1000x900 , p57.png )
990470

You feel like an ornamental fish, drifting midair while Jadis thinks.

A few minutes pass in silence before you hear the call again. It echoes through your head, desperate and loud. Without thinking, you throw yourself at the bubble, struggling to break the surface while Jadis grunts with effort.

“The souls I’m used to aren’t this frisky.” she puffs. “What are you doing? I can’t keep this up much longer.”
>>
No. 990471 ID: 07ed53

Don't go toward the light/moon! Don't go toward the light/moon!

Try to mime that you're sleeping so you can at least give her some useful info before you inevitably depart.
>>
No. 990472 ID: ce39da

Focus. The desire isn't yours. Someone might really need your help, but it'd be wiser to get more info down here while you can.

If you're able to stay down here, make a moon shape with an "SOS" on it and point up. Maybe make like you're being pulled by the collar.
>>
No. 990473 ID: c3053b

Get a hold of yourself, something that makes you want to go to the moon so badly as to make you separate your soul from your body might as well be a trap.
>>
No. 990475 ID: eb1fcc

>>990470
this is some elder god horror movie shit

we didn't sign up for elder god horror movie shit, get a grip
>>
No. 990476 ID: b1b4f3

>>990470
Point up. AND KEEP GOING
>>
No. 990477 ID: 41cab2

Try to get a hold of yourself. Fail and keep moving to the moon.
>>
No. 990480 ID: eedbeb
File 161532847149.png - (138.31KB , 1000x900 , p58.png )
990480

The binding spell wavers and you shoot through the apartment into the sky. Nothing has ever felt more good, more natural, than obeying the call. Some part of you is panicking, trying to reign in these instincts and turn back, but you keep flying and the moon swells in your vision.

You jolt upright as Body pats your shoulder.

“Sorry to wake you up, I gotta pee.” the zombie says. “Should’ve asked Jadis for a longer string before we left, this is gonna be awkward.”

Your heart is pounding in your ears and your blanket is tangled in your tense grip. Somewhere in the sky, your soul has begun a gentle free fall.
>>
No. 990481 ID: 8a51ec

Uh, okay. Our biggest concern right now has to do with the moon holding our soul hostage or something, but we won't look.
>>
No. 990482 ID: 07ed53

It's only awkward if you make it awkward.
>>
No. 990483 ID: b1b4f3

>>990480
Tell Body you need to get to Jadis. The moon is calling your soul. It's fine for right now though.
Also ask how long you were asleep. Make a note of that; you should not sleep longer than that.
>>
No. 990484 ID: 9a2966

Let Body deal with their bodily needs, then head over to Jadis' place.

... actually, can you call her? Like, on the phone?
>>
No. 990490 ID: eedbeb
File 161533881514.png - (166.55KB , 1000x900 , p59.png )
990490

You stumble to your feet, fingers itching for a cigarette that would only make your tight chest feel worse. Your phone says it’s four in the morning. At least you weren’t your soul for the whole time you were asleep.

“I need to call Jadis.” you say.

Body graciously hands you her phone, an old clamshell model. Jadis doesn’t pick up, and you blindly call the second contact instead.

“Body?” Margot answers, voice hoarse.
>>
No. 990496 ID: 8a51ec

"Sort of? She's... busy right now, it's Evelyn. Jadis didn't pick up and I need to talk to her. Urgently."
>>
No. 990498 ID: 2a88b2

>>990490
No, it’s Evelyn, girl from last evening, bound to Body? Can Margot go check on Jadis? Cuz she’s not picking up her phone. Soul fuckery happened, as in in your soul, and it might’ve rebounded on her or fuck, you don’t know. She cast a spell to contain your soul, but it broke free of it due to some manner of mind - well, soul — control thing.
>>
No. 990499 ID: c50ee8

Body's face! XD

"Margot, please pass the phone to Jadis, I found something about my soul problem."
>>
No. 990504 ID: eedbeb
File 161534872901.png - (156.99KB , 1000x900 , p60.png )
990504

“It’s me, Evelyn.” you say. You explain the situation, praying that Margot has enough osmotic knowledge of magic to not be confused.

Margot yawns and you hear her roll off her bed. “I’ll go check if she’s around.”

You fiddle with the loose part of the string and jump when Body flushes the toilet.
>>
No. 990506 ID: eedbeb
File 161534888624.png - (184.40KB , 1000x900 , p61.png )
990506

“Sorry, she’s not here.” Margot says. “Uh, if it’s really urgent I can give you her dad’s number, otherwise I have a meeting early tomorrow and kind of need to sleep.”

You bite your lip. You have an early shift tomorrow too. Maybe the soul dream won’t happen again if you go back to bed.
>>
No. 990507 ID: f8fa51

Uh, I guess we'll just see if we can get a hold of her tomorrow. And hope this doesn't get worse.
>>
No. 990508 ID: b1b4f3

Do not call her dad. This is the scoop of a lifetime, Jadis will be pissed if her family steals it from her.
Jadis must've left to come find you, or to retrieve your soul. Either stay up, or sleep and hope you don't get eaten by the moon.
>>
No. 990512 ID: 3ed3c3

That's okay, Margot. Thanks.

Let's wait a bit to see if Jadis appears. I'm nervous about sleeping again for fear of what might happen.
>>
No. 990514 ID: 651ae0

Go back to sleep, if nothing else you can try to meditate.
>>
No. 990516 ID: 9a2966

>Maybe soul-dream won't happen again
Maybe.

Also, did someone just open the do-
>>990506
what
>>
No. 990551 ID: ce39da

It's close enough to the morning that you don't need to go back to sleep. Head out to Jadis's apartment - it's the most assured place to wait for Jadis, and there might be something for you to help with in the meantime.
>>
No. 990577 ID: afe7de

Go back to sleep and hope for another soul dream!
>>
No. 990579 ID: eedbeb
File 161540441821.png - (160.82KB , 1000x900 , p62.png )
990579

You try to sleep and spend the hours listening to Body snore instead. When the sunlight starts to ooze through your crappy blinds, you get up and drag Body along as you go through your morning routine of cereal and fur brushing.

The café needs to be opened and you’re not sure how you’ll manage it with effectively one hand. You leave your apartment and head towards work.

What do you do while you walk?
-Check the news on your phone
-Call Jadis
-Talk to Body
>>
No. 990580 ID: 07ed53

Talk to Body. Explain what you're gonna have to do today and all. Plus kinda rude to be playin' with your phone when you're with somebody in real life, isn't is?
>>
No. 990583 ID: fe0956

Talk with body, maybe explain the job a little bit, sounds like work is gonna be hard today.

My other suggestion would be to call Jadis and ask for a longer rope between the two of you so you can do your job easier.
>>
No. 990584 ID: ce39da

Okay, so we're starting this day with more info than we had when last night began.

We know that something on the moon (you think) caused your soul to fly out of your body.

If we ask ourselves, "what makes you special," the Occam's Razor answer would be, "you aren't." I suggest checking the local news to see if other people had been dropping dead last night. If they have, we can confirm that allowing our soul to go to the moon won't necessarily resolve everything.

Talk to Body about work, in the meantime... assuming you can't call a sick-day today, that is.
>>
No. 990586 ID: b1b4f3

>>990579
Do all these things.
>>
No. 990590 ID: eedbeb
File 161541247808.png - (143.81KB , 1000x900 , p63.png )
990590

>Talk to Body

The streets are mostly empty this early in the morning and a cool breeze makes your whiskers twitch.

“Today’s going to suck.” you mutter. Your boss is already mad that you left your shift yesterday and you don’t want to disappoint him anymore, but it’ll be impossible to handle the morning rush.

“Sorry.” Body says automatically.

“No, it’s not your fault. You’re still keeping me alive. Don’t you have a job too?”

The zombie shrugs. “Did all my deliveries yesterday and Jadis didn’t give me anything to do. I don’t mind helping, if I can.”

You grimace. Body is a walking food safety hazard.

You enter the café from the back. It doesn’t look like your coworkers are here yet, and you awkwardly set out the furniture and make a practice latte.

To your surprise, not many customers show up in the next hour. Of the few that come, a third take one look at Body, and turn away. You let your coworkers man the front while you restock.
>>
No. 990591 ID: b1b4f3

>>990590
Well, work isn't gonna work out is it?

...wait, few customers? Check the news.
>>
No. 990592 ID: 07ed53

Do we have maybe something Body can wear to maybe cover up her deadness a little? Like an apron or something?
>>
No. 990599 ID: 86794b

>>990584
>>990590
>>990591
Hmm. Suspicious coincidence is suspicious.
Check the news.
>>
No. 990600 ID: eedbeb
File 161541983198.png - (126.02KB , 1000x900 , p64.png )
990600

When it’s time for you to make drinks again, you get Body an apron that does very little to hide her stitches. During a lull, you surreptitiously take out your phone and scan the headlines.

Mysterious Illness Afflicts City

Hundreds Lose their Souls, Witches to Blame?

Mayor Urges Exposed Citizens to Stay Home

“Hey Evelyn.” Body says.

You click one of the headlines and start scrolling. Apparently people had woken up this morning to discover their loved ones or roommates catatonic. The same thing that had happened to you, without the helpful intervention of a zombie.

“Evelyn. Hey.”
>>
No. 990601 ID: eedbeb
File 161541984831.png - (202.25KB , 1000x900 , p65.png )
990601

“What?” you snap.

“I found this weird little duck on the counter. What should I do with it?”
>>
No. 990602 ID: d8743e

Put it down! That's the manager!
>>
No. 990603 ID: 8a51ec

Not hold it like that? Or hold it at all for that matter.
>>
No. 990605 ID: fe0956

That’s our manager, put her down!!!!! Also other people lost their souls too this is really freaky.
>>
No. 990608 ID: eedbeb
File 161542410757.png - (161.10KB , 1000x900 , p66.png )
990608

The duck stares at you with its weird chest eyes, and you feel dizzy.

Tell her I’m your manager and to put me down.

“Drop that, it’s our manager.” you say.

Body seems confused. She turns the duck over in her large hands and you lean on the counter for support as the cloudiness in your head fades.
>>
No. 990609 ID: b1b4f3

>>990608
Is it really?
Ask what's going on. Clearly this is involved with the moon soul business.
>>
No. 990610 ID: fe0956

Hey boss, sorry I missed work yesterday, this *points to the string and body* pretty much qualifies as extenuating circumstances I’d think.
>>
No. 990615 ID: eb1fcc

>>990608
"Please don't do that again I'm not paid nearly enough for the migraine that gave me"
>>
No. 990617 ID: eedbeb
File 161543140212.png - (175.12KB , 1000x900 , p67.png )
990617

“Please don’t do that again.” you groan. “Body, there’s something weird going on.”

Don’t listen. Let me go.

You hear the words in your head, but they seem to be directed at Body. She frowns at the creature.

Your simple mind is weak. Obey and release me.

Body starts slamming the duck into the counter.
>>
No. 990618 ID: b1b4f3

>>990617
Ask your real manager what to do with this thing.
>>
No. 990623 ID: 8a51ec

"I didn't want to ask because the particular phrasing to express how I feel about it is kind of mean-spirited, but why the hell are you so violent?"
>>
No. 990625 ID: 094652

"Body, try to ease up. Duck, please stop trying to mind-control us against our will or I'm going to let her continue."
>>
No. 990649 ID: afe7de

Call over your real manager to see what they can do about this duck thing.
>>
No. 990681 ID: eedbeb
File 161547575853.png - (158.59KB , 1000x900 , p68.png )
990681

You’re taken aback by Body’s violence. She had cowered behind you when dealing with Vlad, and now she was clobbering a duck with single-minded intensity.

“Ease up, Body.” you say.

She stops. The duck looks disheveled rather than injured, and you take out your phone to call your real manager. You put the phone to your ear and make eye contact with the duck again.

Kill the zombie kill her kill her kill her

The dizziness surges faster this time. You are a STRONG woman. You have never killed anyone, but right now you want to tear Body’s mangy head off her shoulders.

Body’s eyes widen and she punches you in the face with her duck holding hand. The creature’s flesh feels like rubber, while Body’s knuckles break something under your skin. You fall to the ground, dragging Body with you. Bits of glass from you destroyed phone screen prick your cheek and hot blood drips from your nose. The pain is distant in your fogged mind. How had Body known?
>>
No. 990683 ID: 8a51ec

"Okay, if either of you try killing each other one more time I am going to get the police involved."
>>
No. 990696 ID: dbd72b

nah, you gave duck-thing it's chance. Tell Body to go back to messing it up, it's using spells or some shit
>>
No. 990700 ID: 9a2966

TELL BODY TO COVER ITS EYES ALREADY
>>
No. 990704 ID: eb1fcc

>>990681
"yeah alright back to beating it senseless then. Maybe there's a jar in the back we can shove it in or something?"
>>
No. 990708 ID: f77467

Tell the fucking thing that Body can hear everything it's trying to force into your brain so it might as well fucking stop.
>>
No. 990710 ID: ce39da

Poke the duck thing's eyes out.
>>
No. 990717 ID: eedbeb
File 161548970808.png - (169.47KB , 1000x900 , p69.png )
990717

“Cover its eyes.” you croak.

Body seizes one of the empty frothing pitchers and stuffs the duck inside. Its flesh squeaks against the steel when Body forces it down, until only its winged head is sticking out. The pathetic stubby wings wave frantically in the air.

Let me out!

The mental voice sounds muffled and you shake off the fog again. Your phone is busted and you pinch your bloody nose.

Body glares at the pitcher. “I don’t like this thing.”

“Me neither.” you get to your feet. “We can both hear you when you talk to us, so stop trying that mind control shit.”

The wings stop flapping. Yes…I see you are sharing two bodies. A very strong and mighty creature. I am truly defeated and we can forget this ever happened.
>>
No. 990719 ID: 8a51ec

Hardly counts as a lead, but let's try it anyway and see what happens. Interrogate Psyduck about the widespread soul loss we were caught in.
>>
No. 990721 ID: 86794b

> "I am truly defeated and we can forget this ever happened."
Riiiiiight. Yeah, no. It tried to kill one of you (using the other), it stays in the pitcher. If it starts to escape, I'm strongly considering killing it. As long as it remains apparently powerless...the value of asking it questions might outweigh the risk. Keep note of anybody else in the vicinity, though, in case it manages to puppet somebody else nearby, even without the use of its eyes, and tries to get the jump on you. I don't know what we'll do with it in the long run; maybe turn it over to the police, or magic scientists, or something.
>>
No. 990722 ID: 86794b

>>990721
Also, re: killing it, even if it has no bones, sharp things or fire might still work.
>>
No. 990723 ID: 9a2966

Stop looking directly at the thing, eyes or not. Motion to head over to the bar's biggest blender.

"Buddy, you'd better start explaining what the hell's going on or Body here is gonna take you for a wild ride full of dizzying potential."

You'll show it dizzy.
>>
No. 990724 ID: 886d94

Threaten it with a trip to the blender or that you’ll pour some scalding hot water on it and maybe ruin it’s backside if it doesent stay quiet.
>>
No. 990732 ID: eedbeb
File 161549617765.png - (152.17KB , 1000x900 , p70.png )
990732

When you don’t reply, the duck begins to wriggle in an attempt to free itself.

“Stop. Tell us what you are.” you growl. If Body didn’t recognize the thing, it probably has something to do with the soul loss instead of the usual magic fare.

No. It keeps wiggling and Body squishes it back with her thumb.

“You'd better start explaining or Body here will put you in the blender."

The duck inflates with pride. You cannot use me for information! Try me with this blender, I’ve no doubt I will survive.

Body shrugs and dumps the duck in the plastic jar. She tries a variety of speeds, but the creature remains unpureed. You wave your coworkers away when they come to investigate and they leave, wide-eyed at your bloody face.
>>
No. 990733 ID: d2408a

Well, it probably still needs to breathe? Try dunking it in the sink.
>>
No. 990734 ID: b1b4f3

>>990732
Ok, why don't we leave this thing trapped and just continue working. Borrow someone else's phone to call Jadis to find out if she knows what it is.
>>
No. 990735 ID: 8a51ec

We should ask Body about what the extent of her string-powers are. If the most she can do is what we've got around our wrist, it doesn't necessarily mean garroting Psyduck isn't possible.
>>
No. 990742 ID: eb1fcc

>>990732
honestly just leave the blender going, it's bound to get dizzy at least. Plus, it's kinda funny and your face hurts too much for sympathy right now.
>>
No. 990743 ID: c50ee8

Put the duck inside one of the public toilets, see if it can stand it.
>>
No. 990744 ID: 1cb76c

Keep blending the creature and go about your business as normal, maybe call Jadis and let her know what’s going on. Also clean up your bloody face that’s a health and safety violation!
>>
No. 990748 ID: ce39da

Is there any way you can try setting the thing on fire?
>>
No. 990751 ID: eedbeb
File 161550972419.png - (115.86KB , 1000x900 , p71.png )
990751

>Keep blending

That’s a good way to burn out a perfectly good blender. You avert your eyes while Body transfers the duck back to the pitcher and try to wipe your face clean with a wet napkin.

Your strongest attacks have no effect on me. The duck says smugly. Release me and I will find more appropriate targets.

The duck has to be magic, so a spell might work. The only magical item you have with you is the string on your wrist. You thoughtfully wrap the little slack you have around the duck’s neck and pull.

This is uncomfortable. It sounds unsure, like discomfort is an unfamiliar sensation.
>>
No. 990752 ID: b1b4f3

>>990751
Oh? Maybe it'll talk now that you've found something that affects it.
Ask what it is, and what it's trying to do. Does it know why peoples' souls are being pulled from their bodies? (don't mention that yours is being pulled towards the moon specifically, use that to fact check the duck)
>>
No. 990756 ID: a07d21

Keep squeezing it with the string but be careful not to break it!!! Also check to make sure you don’t have any customers you are neglecting!
>>
No. 990758 ID: 8a51ec

Now this idiot has no choice but to answer our questions, and it's all its fault for not shutting its telepathic pie hole either.
>>
No. 990761 ID: eedbeb
File 161551823329.png - (150.94KB , 1000x900 , p72.png )
990761

You check to make sure there aren’t any customers. The floor is spattered with blood and glass and you can hear one of your coworkers talking to your boss on the phone while you tighten the cord around the duck’s neck.

The break between your normal life and whatever the fuck started yesterday is getting wider.

You pull, hard. “Now will you talk?”

Hm. How about we make a deal? I answer one question, and you let me go.

“Nope.” You actually see empty cuts forming in the creature’s neck.

Alright, I’ll sweeten the offer. You will stop this unpleasantness and I will answer one question per day as long as you have me.

Do you accept the deal? If so, what is your first question?
>>
No. 990762 ID: b1b4f3

You'll take the deal on one condition-- it doesn't try to mind control you any more.
>one question
Why are souls being drawn towards the moon?
>>
No. 990763 ID: 8a51ec

"Very funny. Three a day and maybe I'll forget you tried mind controlling me into technically committing suicide."
>>
No. 990766 ID: a65cae

Five a day and maybe I won’t submit you to this torture every day after we find a way to bind and restrain you.
>>
No. 990786 ID: dbd72b

only if it stops using it's magic eyes on you. We're tying those up, and it can use the normal ones if it has those.

Also it's getting a leash.
>>
No. 990790 ID: ce39da

Whether you take the deal or not should depend on whether you like his first answer:
“First question, and don’t you dare try any cryptic bullshit or exact-words nonsense: What happens to the beckoned souls after they go to the moon?”

If you don’t like the answer, just kill it before it can try anything else - you’ll have established that these guys don’t have good intentions, and that’s all you need to know.
>>
No. 990791 ID: 9a2966

>>990761
It stops mind-controlling people, period, and it's a deal. Otherwise it's back to Noose Town, population: strung up.

Today's question:
Yesterday you lost your soul to an unearthly call for aid. Today hundreds of people lost theirs, presumably due to something along the same lines. Then IT shows up, near you, seeking 'targets'.

Shit seems related. Please explain said relation in detail. And yes, that totally counts as a question, because a question carries intent and your intent is figuring out what it knows about what is going on here regardless of goddamn phrasing.

>coworkers
Go tell your coworkers that something's fucked up in town and it might be better if you take some early vacation days to see if you can't deal with your fucked-up bit of it. Then borrow their phone and tell your manager the same, in a somewhat more don't-actually-want-to-lose-my-job tone.
>>
No. 990814 ID: eedbeb
File 161556879473.png - (133.12KB , 1000x900 , p73.png )
990814

>Accept the deal

“Fine, but don’t try to mind control me again or I’m taking your head off.” you threaten. You undo the string from around the duck’s neck and the small wounds heal immediately.

Yes, of course.

It would be nice to have a leash for the thing. You ask Body for a piece of string, and she produces a short piece from her pocket space. The morbid thought of sewing its eyes shut swells in your mind and you grimace. Instead, you tie its neck to the pitcher handle.

“First question, and no cryptic bullshit answers. Why are souls being drawn to the moon?”

They are going home. It is what’s natural.

Before you can ask for clarification, the bell on the door rings and Cookie pokes his head inside the café.

“Jadis is looking for you two.” he mumbles. “She’s at the university, I can take you there.”
>>
No. 990817 ID: 07ed53

Good. Let's go Jadis. We're probably gonna get fired anyway so there's no point in not just leaving immediately.
>>
No. 990822 ID: eb1fcc

Lets take our new duck buddy with us, Jadis would probably know what's up with it.
>>
No. 990829 ID: ce39da

"Hey, we caught this duck thing that tried to telepath me into killing Body. It also claims to know something about the whole 'fly my soul to the moon where we can be fucking dead among the stars' business."

Assuming Cookie's answer is to bring or leave the duck, let's go. This whole nonsense is confirmed to be more important than keeping our job, anyway.
>>
No. 990832 ID: afe7de

Go see Jadis, your soul is more important than this job at this point.
>>
No. 990839 ID: eedbeb
File 161557908740.png - (162.83KB , 1000x900 , p73b.png )
990839

You’re probably going to be fired for duck blending and letting Body near food, so you decide to go with Cookie. Body keeps a tight hold on the pitcher and you join Cookie in the noonday sun. His eye widens at the white, winged blob, but doesn’t say anything as he leads you to his car.

You explain what you’ve learned since this morning, and warn Cookie not to look the duck in the eyes. The cat nods. “The witches think this has happened before, a couple hundred years ago. They’re trying to do damage control cause the government’s trying to blame them for it.”

Cookie stops in the parking lot of the medical school building and takes you up the steps and into a clean, modern foyer.
>>
No. 990840 ID: eedbeb
File 161557915230.png - (206.26KB , 1000x900 , p74.png )
990840

You enter a large operating room with guards in black suits, police, and mobsters lining the walls. The atmosphere is understandably tense, suit jackets bulging around concealed weapons, hands twitching towards pepper spray while a vigorous argument echoes through the otherwise silent room.

Jadis is wrist deep in someone’s chest, surgical mask blocking the spit no doubt flying from her mouth while she bickers with her father, the cat you recognize from last night.

“Um.” Cookie says as the doors shut behind you.

“This is a very delicate surgery, Cookie. Don’t interrupt.” barks Jadis. “Body, do you have any spare string? I used all my stock already and I have like five more rich assholes who need soul transplants.”

“The governor is not a rich asshole.” her dad sniffs.

“Whatever. And before you ask Evelyn, I assumed you wouldn’t like it if I gave you a new soul the easy way, so you’re stuck with scraps like the rest of us peasants.”

You notice the pile of body bags being guarded in the corner. A few seem to be moving.

Body shakes her head. “Naw, I only have half a meter left.”

“Then get some silk and I’ll make it here.”
>>
No. 990845 ID: c50ee8

Maybe after getting the silk we should talk to the authorities here about the duck and souls being called to the moon?
>>
No. 990846 ID: ce39da

"First of all, are those body-bags supposed to be moving?"

If there's nothing untoward you need to put a stop to here, proceed with the next question:
"Is there a specific kind of silk we need, or will anything work as long as it's still loose on the spool? And how much will be needed to complete the order?"

Immediately delegate the exact order to one of the organizational representatives outside, assuming the hospital staff can't provide it - remember, you only need one of them to cooperate; tell them it's the amount she needs to save their guy. Head immediately back into the operating theater.

"A'ight, it's delegated. You - Jadis's dad. Do you actually need to be here for the operation? Let's walk and talk. Now."

He's a jerk, but he's also way more likely to be able to do something with the info we have, or if he can't, then he'll at least be able to contact someone else who can.
>>
No. 990849 ID: b1b4f3

>>990840
Tell her you remember being your soul last night and visiting her. You were being called to the moon, you think everyone else losing their souls are being called to the moon as well.
Then tell the duck to clarify what it said about this being "natural". It's clearly not. People are getting their souls pulled out while they're still ALIVE.
>>
No. 990851 ID: 9a2966

>Get some silk
Look around at all the servants of rich people.

"She needs silk. Anyone here knows where to get some fast?"
>>
No. 990863 ID: 9a2966

Ah. Soul transplants. That's why some of the bodies are moving.

Let's be on our way. We have silk to find and no reason to stick around to be silenced for what we've just witnessed.
>>
No. 990864 ID: eedbeb
File 161558918755.png - (153.55KB , 1000x900 , p75.png )
990864

Body nods and turns to go, but you hold fast. You still need to talk to Jadis about last night, and show her the duck.

Yes, show me to this witch, she seems quite important.

“Jadis, something weird happened to us earlier and—“

“Evelyn, I am being paid millions of bones to do something I find to be in poor taste. If I weren’t so useful to powerful people I would be in a very secure room answering questions about the missing souls and it would be a big help if you could go with Body right now instead of being a pain.”

“Why do we need to get the silk? Send one of these guys who are standing around. This is serious, I found this weird creature—“

Body’s foot is a firm presence on your toes. A muffled groan comes from one of the body bags and a mobster silences the poor person with a kick.
>>
No. 990866 ID: 422cea

So we can confirm we literally have a really sloppy rapture happening and people are being spirited away all over.

I think the duck is some sort of low tier angel.
>>
No. 990867 ID: c50ee8

Crap, they are stealing souls from mobster victims to revive these folks.

That does it. Let's press the duck-thing for more answers. People's very souls are on the line here.
>>
No. 990875 ID: b1b4f3

Defer to Cookie on this I guess.
>>
No. 990880 ID: eedbeb
File 161559705487.png - (176.20KB , 1000x900 , p76.png )
990880

>Be on your way

You decide that it would be in your best interests to leave the ethics violations to Jadis and let Cookie usher you back to the car.

Souls are being lost all over the country, maybe the world. It’s like a sloppy rapture, except you don’t think the souls are going to heaven. Does that mean the duck is some kind of angel?

I’ll give you that one for free. It says smugly.

“Tell me more.” you say.

Body turns to face you. “Talking to me?”

“No, talking to the duck. Duck. Let’s call it Duck. It’d be good to know more about the silk too, I guess.”

Cookie cuts in. “I’m dropping you off at the spider’s house and picking up lunch. Unless you need to get some bribes?”

“I have enough stuff. Should be okay.” Body says. She seems dejected about something.
>>
No. 990882 ID: 73397d

Can you pick me up some lunch too? *hands them a 10* so we can eat on the way back.
>>
No. 990886 ID: fefb0f

"What's wrong, Body? You've barely touched your spirit-duck mochachinno."
>>
No. 990896 ID: b1b4f3

>>990880
Are we gonna try to get Duck to explain the answer it gave us earlier? How is it natural for souls to leave the body *before* death?
>>
No. 990903 ID: eedbeb
File 161561003867.png - (145.86KB , 1000x900 , p77.png )
990903

You pull a ten bone coin from pocket space and offer it to Cookie. “Can you get me something to eat too?”

Cookie snickers. “Didn’t you hear Jadis? She’s raking it in and we’re on her payroll. She’s already sent me 10k for errands, I can hook you up if you need cash.”

You blink. You’d be more excited if you weren’t worried that the world was ending. Speaking of which…

“Elaborate on what you meant when you said this was natural.” you say to Duck.

The tiny wings shrug. I don’t see what there is to explain.

“Jadis told me souls don’t leave before a person’s dead.”

Maybe having a soul is what’s unnatural, then. That’s all I have to say on the subject until tomorrow. Duck huffs.

Finally, you turn to Body. The talk of souls probably hasn’t helped her mood. “Hey, is something bothering you?”

“I dunno. I don’t like being around Jadis’ dad and that kind of intense stuff. Used to it, but don’t like it.”
>>
No. 990964 ID: fefb0f

"Maybe if you talked to Jadis' dad about how thankful you are for being alive, he wouldn't be such a meanie.

And speaking of talking, Duck, would you like to answer all our questions now or wait until we tell the mobsters at the university that you had something to do with all this soul-stealing business?"
>>
No. 990971 ID: 8a73d9

Yeah, J’s dad kind of sucks from the looks of it, was grilling her hard yesterday too. Hopefully we won’t have to deal with that too much after we get the string, maybe we can make our string a bit longer in the process too.
>>
No. 990983 ID: b1b4f3

>>990903
I don't think Duck knows what it's talking about. "Maybe" having a soul is unnatural? It should know one way or the other if it has any expertise on the matter at all. Or it's just straight up lying. Tell it you don't trust it at all. It needs to give you something you can act on. Either now, or tomorrow.
A lot of people will die if we don't get their souls back from the moon before their bodies die of thirst or starvation.

Hmm. Ask Cookie if there's any way to get to the moon. Would a soul be able to pull something with it on the way there, using magic string?
>>
No. 991021 ID: eedbeb
File 161564946035.png - (151.60KB , 1000x900 , p78.png )
991021

"Maybe if you talked to Jadis' dad about how thankful you are for being alive, he wouldn't be such a jerk.”

Body smiles and it doesn’t reach her eyes. “He can usually tell when I’m lying. Witches are good at that.”

Smooth.

“You know we can both hear you.” you say. Pain in the ass to have a telepathic angel around, though you’re a tiny bit grateful Duck eased the tension. Not that you trust it at all or think it’s telling the truth.

The rest of the trip passes in silence. Cookie drives to a considerably more suburban neighborhood, with stereotypical green lawns and identical houses, and stops in front of a yard with a large maple tree in front. Attached to the trunk and branches is a large web, with a small spider resting in the middle.

You follow Body out the left passenger door and wave goodbye to Cookie.

“Aaron, your parents home?” Body calls out. The little spider opens his eyes and scrambles down the web.

“Yeah! I’ll tell them you’re here and I’ll go get the silk I’ve been saving.” he says. The spider scrambles into the house and emerges a minute later a thick spool of silk.

Body sits on the grass and starts pulling random objects out of her pocket space. Sealed trading cards, bits of purple quartz, a dead dragonfly in a plastic bag are all arranged before Aaron, who examines the wares carefully.
>>
No. 991042 ID: 4f5d63

Aaron becomes fixated on the dragonfly. "Where...." Aaron's many eyes are wide and gleaming as he reaches for the plastic bag containing the specimen, "where did you find this little fellow...?"
>>
No. 991047 ID: eedbeb
File 161566291887.png - (190.72KB , 1000x900 , p79.png )
991047

Aaron fixates on the dragonfly. It’s iridescent green and dried out, and he carefully holds it up to his face. “Where’d you get this?”

“Found it on the sidewalk.” Body explains. “Someone traded me the amethyst for a magic bandage and I bought the cards.”

“Oh good, it’s the new Grotto Beast set too. I can do my silk for all of these and—“

Aaron jerks back and drops the bag. He rubs his head and for the first time he looks afraid. “Are you doing magic on me? I heard something in my head.”
>>
No. 991050 ID: 3ed3c3

>>991047
Smack Duck and tell him to knock it off.
>>
No. 991053 ID: 8a51ec

Think about asking Duck what it said to him. Proceed to >>991050 depending on the answer.
>>
No. 991056 ID: b1b4f3

>>991047
Tell him you captured an angel, who's telepathic. Things are weird right now. What did it say?
>>
No. 991057 ID: ce39da

It's time that you reneged on your "no garrotte" agreement, or at least threaten to. The string goes around the neck. "Knock it off, or the deal's off." Do watch Aaron as you do this; if he suddenly makes a move, you pull.
>>
No. 991063 ID: eedbeb
File 161567375103.png - (151.66KB , 1000x900 , p80.png )
991063

“Duck.” you hiss. “What are you doing?”

Duck doesn’t reply, and Aaron’s eyes dart to you.

“We captured this angel,” you motion to the pitcher, “It’s the one talking to you, not us. Don’t trust anything it says.” You want to smack the thing but that would probably scare the kid. Instead you think very violent thoughts in Duck’s general direction.

“It-it says Jadis is using my silk to hurt people. That you’ve been threatening to kill it.”
>>
No. 991066 ID: b1b4f3

>>991063
Well you don't know about the first one, but it looked like Jadis was doing soul transplants or something?
As for the second thing, the angel tried to mind control you to kill Body, and can't be harmed by physical force. It was a threat, and you had to find something to defend yourself with. The string worked, and now neither of you are trying to kill the other. It's an uneasy truce.

Tell him if he's really concerned maybe he can ask Duck some questions about the nature of souls, and why this crisis is happening at all. It's not fully cooperating with *your* requests for information.
>>
No. 991067 ID: 8a51ec

"Jadis needs your silk to save people who lost their souls, and this thing wants people to lose their souls. Wanna hear about how it tried to make me kill Body too?"
>>
No. 991068 ID: afe7de

>>991067
It’s also lied to me and tried to convince me it was my manager. Seriously, don’t trust it.
>>
No. 991071 ID: 1ee17c

"Yeah, well, the duck-thing here tried to mind control me into killing Body first, so that makes us even.

And, well, both the police and the mafia are pressuring Jadis into doing soul transplants on their bosses for money."
>>
No. 991082 ID: ce39da

"It tried to make me kill Body first, and our connecting string was the only thing that could harm it, so we threatened it into stopping with that. Meanwhile, Jadis is being pressured into doing some soul transplants by some scary people, so maybe you should put the ethicality questions about that whole business aside for now. Oh, and this thing might be in cahoots with whatever's causing the soul-loss apocalypse right now, so seriously, even if it never technically lies, take everything it says with a pile of salt."

Do be prepared to garrotte the duck if Aaron makes any sudden and uncharacteristic lunges.
>>
No. 991084 ID: eedbeb
File 161568039486.png - (148.48KB , 1000x900 , p81.png )
991084

“Jadis is using your silk to help people who lost their souls last night, and we’ve only been defending ourselves. The angel tried to mind control me into killing Body and we literally can’t hurt it. Keeping it trapped is the best we can do.” you say.

“It’s true.” Body agrees. “Please, Aaron, we really need more string.”

Aaron slowly nods, then winces. “It’s doing it again! It’s saying really bad things and showing me dead people.”

Do you:
-Cut off Duck’s head, which will scare Aaron
-Throw Duck as far away as you can, which will give it the chance to escape
-Steal the silk and run
>>
No. 991085 ID: 8a51ec

Cut off one of Duck's head-wings, make it clear this is a "three strikes" situation until it can prove it's worth anything alive.
>>
No. 991087 ID: 9a2966

Straight up truthin' time.

"I've TRIED to hurt it, since it LITERALLY magic'd me into TRYING to HURT Body (which got ME hurt, by the way, thank you very much Mr. duck angel). Had to cover it up like this so it couldn't spell us with its eyes no more. Besides, not much we do to it sticks - except for tying it up with thread like this."

Gesture at the soul-thread connecting you and Body.

"Which I've promised NOT TO DO if it answers my questions, once a day. Weird trade, but I'll take it. Duck angel here seems really connected to all these soul-shenanigans going on, and we really wanted to take it and show it to Jadis, but... she's sorta in trouble."

Sigh and rub the back of your neck.

"She isn't the one doing the REAL hurting... but people ARE getting hurt. It's this whole soul situation. If Jadis didn't comply, she'd be the one who'd get hurt instead. Stuff's real fu... fudged up, li'l fella, and we need your thread to get Jadis outta the situation she's in, so we can talk to her about this duck angel thing. Who's now talking to you, saying goodness knows what."
>>
No. 991088 ID: eb1fcc

>>991084
can we like, tie a lasso around it with the string and just kinda hurl it like a dog on a leash?
>>
No. 991091 ID: 1ee17c

I roll dexterity to pee on the bad guy!
>>
No. 991104 ID: 12b116

cut off head
>>
No. 991125 ID: b1b4f3

>>991084
Don't be a dealbreaker. Duck is technically following the terms of the deal.
"Steal" the silk. You already paid for it!

Then see if you can get a container for Duck that can be locked so it can't escape. Put it somewhere secure, then you can ask it another question tomorrow.
>>
No. 991126 ID: afe7de

Cut off a wing instead, cause it PAIN, let it know if it keeps this up you'll keep doing this to different parts of it's body.
>>
No. 991133 ID: ce39da

"A'ight, I know this wasn't part of the deal, but you are trying to aide the apocalypse, and you have officially exhausted my goodwill."

It's garrotte o'clock (but make sure you're facing away when you do it). There's no way this is the only angel, anyway. Scaring the kid is still a salvageable situation, though we will need to take some time to explain the appreciable nuances. It still beats having the angel who knows our face and actions running loose.

Going halfway and only causing it pain will probably just cause him to beam the experience right into poor Aaron's brain.
>>
No. 991136 ID: eedbeb
File 161569375749.png - (139.86KB , 1000x900 , p82.png )
991136

>Cut off Duck’s head

You grit your teeth and loop the string around Duck’s neck. The little bastard is a liability and tormenting a kid is the last straw. Aaron picks up the spool of silk with a shriek and scrambles up the tree to hide in the dense branches.

Eeeep—

With your strength, you pull the tough cord straight through Duck’s abnormal flesh. The head, wings flapping furiously, shoots into the air and quickly disappears against the bright sky.

I am lesser now. Duck laments. I was to grow and now I have shrunk. Cruel, cruel you are.
>>
No. 991143 ID: 3ed3c3

>>991136
What. The fuck?
Is it like a starfish or something?
Well, at least we still have its body.
Any way we can coax Aaron out of that tree?
>>
No. 991144 ID: b1b4f3

>>991136
Ok so it didn't die. Which part is speaking though? Is it the part of Duck still in the container?

Regardless, tell the kid it's not dead. You're gonna go put it under a rock, be back in 5 minutes.
>>
No. 991145 ID: 8a51ec

"New deal. No telepathic stuff beyond talking to me and Body, and you don't get diced the moment you break this deal. I'll admit I'm kind of curious what the hell you grow into, so take it for both our sakes, eh?"
>>
No. 991149 ID: f26cbb

It's getting away! Swipe for it!
>>
No. 991158 ID: 094652

Methinks their capacity to clone themselves and still act as if each part is capable of consciousness implies they don't take good care of mortal souls.

Shoot the flyaway head until it stops flapping!
>>
No. 991160 ID: 422cea

>>991136
"Pot calling the kettle black there. You literally invaded a child's mind with obscene images and now you're making our life difficult. Either you stop it and start explaining things or we just slice the rest of you apart like cheese until there's nothing left to BE you."

I have a feeling cutting it apart with the magic string is the equivalent of killing it assuming the fragments can't recombine, if not easily. Maybe it'll see some threat to it.

...Or if it values its own existence as feebly as the souls of mortals it may as well be destroyed to stop being a problem and we can find answers elsewhere.
>>
No. 991182 ID: afe7de

Body: eat the corpse.
>>
No. 991235 ID: eedbeb
File 161573697725.png - (170.41KB , 1000x900 , p83.png )
991235

Despite your and Body’s best attempts, Aaron refuses to leave the tree and you resign yourselves to the street curb to mope.

"New deal. No telepathic stuff beyond talking to me and Body, and you don't get diced. I’m kind of curious what you’ll grow into.” you tell Duck.

I won’t be growing now. My head will seize the glory and I’ll be forgotten. Cut me to pieces all you like, it’s a fitting fate for a wretch like myself.

You are so sick of the thing. The lack of sleep from last night and your hunger make you lightheaded, and you wonder aloud if Duck is edible.

“Maybe to Kibble.” Body says. “I don’t want it clogging up my guts.”

You wait in silence until Cookie comes back, car laden with takeout. The cat looks out the window to where you and Body are sitting on the curb. “You guys look sad as shit. No silk, I assume.”

“Nope.” Body sighs. “Scared Aaron pretty bad, I hope he still sells to us in the future. He’s the only young spiders whose parents let him. Maybe Jadis can put some money in his college fund or something.”

“I’ll drop you guys off at the apartment and let Jadis know. It shouldn’t be too big of deal, try to do something that will cheer you up.”
>>
No. 991236 ID: eedbeb
File 161573700011.png - (147.93KB , 1000x900 , p84.png )
991236

Margot finds you and Body sprawled against the base of the couch, shoving sandwiches into your mouths. Duck is still in its pitcher. The angel hasn’t tried to escape once since scaring Aaron.

“Good to see you’re alive.” she says cheerfully. “Got today off, for obvious reasons. I’m sure I’ll be busy with Jadis when she finally escapes the operating table.”

“Guh.” You chew and swallow a mouthful of soggy bread.

“My bed’s open if you want to rest, or we can play something fun to relax. Kibble’s reading in the office if you were wondering.”

Do you:
-Take a nap
-Hangout with Margot
-Talk to Kibble
>>
No. 991237 ID: 422cea

In complete sleep deprived delirium just go, "we got a headless ghost duck in a pitcher."
>>
No. 991252 ID: 8a51ec

>>991237
Probably the closest we can get in this state to talking with Duck.
>>
No. 991258 ID: afe7de

Take a nap, yer exhausted
>>
No. 991271 ID: 46a721

I'd like to talk to Kibble some.
>>
No. 991272 ID: e51896

>>991237
pretty much tell this to Kibble.
>>
No. 991309 ID: eedbeb
File 161576278894.png - (181.92KB , 1000x900 , p85.png )
991309

>Talk to Kibble

The food revives you enough to stagger into the second bedroom slash office. You shouldn’t be this tired after only a few hours of missed sleep, but for some reason you feel exhausted. Body seems similarly weary. You wonder if it’s because of the soul sharing. Oh god, it’s probably because of the soul sharing.

Kibble stares at you with her pale eyes as you enter, page of a witch textbook half turned in her hand.

“We got a headless ghost duck in a pitcher.” you slur. “Well, angel duck I guess.”

Kibble blinks. “Do you need my help with it?”
>>
No. 991316 ID: e51896

"It is clinically depressed after getting it's head cut off when it attempted to try to sabotage our mission. In a way, it succeeded... You can eat it if you want, or brighten it's mood. Don't care. I'm just fed up with that duck"
>>
No. 991317 ID: ca86a5

See that skull there on the shelf? Maybe we can attatch it to the headless duck angel, give it a new head and new purpose to live.
>>
No. 991336 ID: eedbeb
File 161577175871.png - (139.70KB , 1000x900 , p86.png )
991336

"It has mind control powers.” you warn. “It’s depressed after getting its head cut off when it sabotaged our mission. You can eat it if you want, or try to interrogate it. Don't care. I'm just fed up with this duck."

You hand over Duck and flinch when Kibble pulls it free of the pitcher and holds it up to her face. Duck’s eyes stare into Kibble’s for a moment, then she places the duck on the desk. You prepare to whack Kibble over the head.

Didn’t try. Wouldn’t work. Not like it matters. Duck mutters.

“Souls have been taken before.” Kibble says in her trademark whisper.

“Uh, yeah, Cookie said something about that.”

Kibble opens her book to a page that shows a creature that very much resembles Duck. That’s right, Kibble had been a witch before her accident, she probably knew as much about this as Jadis.

“This is a scout. Troublesome, meant to collect information.”

“Mhm.” You don’t know where this is going.

“Next is the soldier. Nine recorded appearances in the last cycle and only defeated with great sacrifice.”

“Righto. Seems like bad news.” Kibble is just x-raying you with those empty eyes.
>>
No. 991337 ID: afe7de

Well shit, so we have to fight these things? How? Magic? or is there something us non-witches can do?
>>
No. 991347 ID: b1b4f3

>>991336
Tell Kibble there's something more you want to talk about but if there's any chance Duck can tell the enemy, we need to deal with that problem first.

It's about your soul.
>>
No. 991350 ID: ce39da

"Uh, sorry. I dunno. I think it's just hitting me that Body and I are both sleeping and eating for the both of us. I think I'm gonna pass out soon."

"Anyway, real quick before we pass out; is it, like, weird that I wake up as my soul when my body goes to sleep? 'Cause I'm doing my best to run away between the moony jackass's calls, and I'm wondering if you got any tips for that."
>>
No. 991351 ID: 46a721

Let's trick duck into answering more of our questions by saying that the souls coming from the moon is stupid, and other things that might hurt its ego.
>>
No. 991353 ID: 094652

You have a question surpassing all others:
What do the angels do to souls that reach the Moon?
>>
No. 991356 ID: eedbeb
File 161577787817.png - (160.69KB , 1000x900 , p87.png )
991356

You shudder, remembering how Duck is basically indestructible. “How do people fight those things? Magic?”

Kibble nods. “The witches have their differences, but they should work together against this threat.” Not your problem then.

“Real quick, before we go take a nap. Does your book say what happens to the souls when they go to the moon?” you ask.

“The moon.” Kibble repeats blankly.

They don’t even know. Duck says. It doesn’t sounds smug, just tired.

“Um, last night when I was sleeping I woke up as my soul, and I almost got sucked into the moon again. That’s where all this stuff is coming from.”

You might have overloaded Kibble’s brain. She picks up a pen and starts scribbling down notes on a piece of paper without breaking eye contact.

“Sorry if that sounds stupid.” you say, suddenly unsure. “Duck confirmed it, though.”

“The moon is hundreds of thousands of miles away. Spells decay over space and time.” says Kibble.

“Uh, sure.” You can’t tell if Kibble’s upset at your words or at you and you slowly back away until you reach Margot’s bedroom.
>>
No. 991359 ID: b1b4f3

>>991356
This situation is fucked. At least now the witches know how to attack now, and not just defend.
Time to get rest. Not sure what we're gonna do with soul time... ask Body if she's got any ideas.
>>
No. 991364 ID: 46a721

Leave Margot's bedroom and go back to talk to Kibble.
Let's ask her what she thinks about the situation.
>>
No. 991365 ID: eb1fcc

>>991356
...is body deflating? guys I think Body's deflating
>>
No. 991366 ID: b1b4f3

oh wait we're at Margot's bedroom? Ask Margot if she's got any ideas for what to do during soul time.
>>
No. 991373 ID: e51896

>>991365
Probably deflating because we brought up the topic of souls, something Body isn't all too fond of talking about. Best to apologize, you've had a rough day.
>>
No. 991382 ID: afe7de

Cuddle up with Body and take a nap, you're too tired to worry about this, maybe it'll all make more sense when you wake up.
>>
No. 991426 ID: eedbeb
File 161581978670.png - (197.75KB , 1000x900 , p88.png )
991426

Margot’s room smells like lavender and blood. A dual monitor setup with accompanying gamer chair sits against the far wall and a large queen bed fills the rest of the space. You collapse on the soft blue sheets and Body thumps down next to you.

“You okay?” you mumble.

“Yeah, just really tired.” Body replies. “Feel stressed.”

“Me too man.”

You try to get your ideas in order before you fall asleep. If you wake up as your soul again, it might be smart to stay near your body, so Jadis can find it later. There’s not much you can do about getting sucked into the moon and with that comforting thought you quickly doze off.
>>
No. 991427 ID: eedbeb
File 161581980494.png - (137.51KB , 1000x900 , p89.png )
991427

You shiver into awareness as your soul form. You must have been sleeping for a while because the sky is dark and the city is illuminated beneath you.

You’re tense, straining phantom ears for any hint of the moon’s call. There’s an odd buzzing to your right and you turn to investigate.

Ah. There’s an angel standing next to you.
>>
No. 991430 ID: ce39da

Just running might be complicated, then.

Souls are what make the magic happen. See if you can manifest some "string;" really try to internalize the sensation of the one that connected you to Body.

If you can do that... Maybe this guy isn't expecting a sudden garrotte attack from behind while he's still this high up.
>>
No. 991435 ID: 19da02

look at the angel and see if it's looking at you or maybe hasn't noticed you yet possibly? Or is it buzzing at you?
>>
No. 991441 ID: afe7de

Examine Angel and run away.
>>
No. 991451 ID: 46a721

Tell the angel that forcing souls out of their bodies is mean and bad and should feel ashamed for doing it.
>>
No. 991452 ID: eedbeb
File 161584319347.png - (148.34KB , 1000x900 , p90.png )
991452

>Examine the angel

You scooch out of arm’s reach of the creature and get a proper look at it.

There are wings sprouting at various points on its body, glowing faintly like your own misty surface. A few feathers twitch in the breeze, but whatever’s keeping it in the air isn’t the wings.

Four eyes are set across the broad chest. The whole thing is casually swole like your gym rat pals. Square fingers, long arms, and graceful legs.

It has Duck’s fucking head. You don’t know whether to laugh or accept your impending doom. Can it still talk to you when you’re a soul?

I have been waiting for you to wake. Bring me to the one called Jadis or I will absorb you and enter your mind through your soul. Booms the angel.
>>
No. 991455 ID: ce39da

And what do I even get if I comply? I'm in limbo right now; I do not give a single crap. TIM!

Souls move at the speed of thought, and magic things will break if you barrel into them fast enough with a sharp enough shape.

Go for the throat.
>>
No. 991456 ID: 19da02

>>991455
This is a terrible idea.

Instead, say you're going to do it and think about going to do it if possible, then try to go to your own body and maybe jump inside it or something.
>>
No. 991465 ID: b1b4f3

Uh, we don't know where Jadis is though.
I guess... lead it to the last place you saw Jadis?
>>
No. 991466 ID: 8a51ec

How about the third option?
>>
No. 991467 ID: 9a2966

Bluff.

"That'd... be hilarious. You do realize I'm bound with the same string that cut off your head earlier, right? All Body needs to do is wrap me up and choke me out with it and boom, once again a part of you will know defeat and shame. And another part of you already know I don't bluff and don't take kindly to you fucking about all arrogant-like. You scared the wits outta a kid, you danged monster."

You are totally bluffing. Maybe? You don't know. Could be possible it'd work out like that.

"Look, what the hell do you even want Jadis for? There's plenty of witches who know about you now. And they remember you."

At least an apprentice one and a former one. And remembered... poorly, perhaps.
>>
No. 991499 ID: 9cc8fa

>>991467
Bluff, you trust body to KO you if things get too spicy. Plus you’re a soul, you could probably fly faster than that thing.

Plus why does it want Jadis in particular, thing gives you bad vibes.
>>
No. 991511 ID: eedbeb
File 161585376183.png - (174.38KB , 1000x900 , p91.png )
991511

The apartment where you and Body are sleeping is visible from the sky. You don’t know where Jadis is. If you knew, you wouldn’t tell. The moon probably wants her dead. You open your mouth to lie or ramble or pretend you’re in control of the situation. Anything to buy time.

As expected.

The angel sweeps you into its wings and the whirling feathers brush your soul from existence.

End of Part 1. You Died will continue in the following Interlude: https://questden.org/kusaba/quest/res/991509.html[/b]
>>
No. 991524 ID: 46a721

In retrospect,, cutting the duck angel's head wasn't our finest moment.
>>
No. 991539 ID: 3ed3c3

OKAY, author.
You've erased our soul and made us hate the things we already hated.
Good job, I guess.


Delete post []
Password