[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 599870)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 41314 unique user posts. View catalog

File 141469651788.png - (4.53KB , 480x480 , snakecharmer.png )
599870 No. 599870 ID: a19cd5

And lo, the most difficult trial of the flames is set in motion.
Expand all images
>>
No. 599871 ID: a19cd5
File 141469657290.png - (5.66KB , 640x640 , faron.png )
599871

"Through his rage at the impurity of the void, his spite gave rise to the universe, and from his acid-tongued beak flew the burning spittle that would become our stars."
"We draw power from these small drippings of his cosmic power, and are sent up into him to fuel his ever-burning fury."
>>
No. 599872 ID: a19cd5
File 141469660254.gif - (61.08KB , 640x640 , snakecharmer.gif )
599872

"With this token of Asoth's lifegiving rage, I sanctify this place of eternal rest, and unto the harsh light of deliverance deliver you."
"May Asoth's fury guide you in your trials to come."
>>
No. 599874 ID: 2fd516

>>599872
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE
>>
No. 599875 ID: 51464a

It's thriller night~ Come out and strike!
>>
No. 599876 ID: a19cd5
File 141469890616.png - (4.67KB , 640x640 , not today.png )
599876

>>599874
>>599875
No, tonight the dead rest undisturbed. Purified, and sent back to the flame.
I lower my sacred medallion, the purification is complete.

>>
No. 599877 ID: 2fd516

>>599876
Oh, alright. What're you doing here then? Who are you anyway?
>>
No. 599878 ID: 51464a

>>599876
Purified? Why does it need purification?
>>
No. 599880 ID: 3009b4

Let's go charm us some snakes then.
>>
No. 599883 ID: a19cd5
File 141470082409.png - (11.07KB , 1280x640 , leaving.png )
599883

>Who are you?

My name is Misotus, and I am an apprentice priest of Asoth.

>what are you doing here?
I am sealing the dead here from the taint of the Void. A small warmup for my next destination, which is to be my final trial as a priest before I can attain full priesthood.
I feel honored that the voices of the blue light are reaching out to me already, but worried as well.

>>
No. 599886 ID: c1f167

worried? Uhh...Does this mean that we voices of the blue light tend to be a harbinger of heroic deeds and tumultuous times approaching?
>>
No. 599890 ID: 9ddf68

>I feel honored that the voices of the blue light are already reaching out to me already, but worried as well.
yeah, when we show things tend to go down. So what's your role in this trial to come and what would our role be? You know just to make sure we know what to do.
>>
No. 599895 ID: a19cd5
File 141470481356.gif - (28.14KB , 640x640 , leaving.gif )
599895

>>599886
You are guides, but also harbingers of strife sent to guide us through dangerous situations.

I have been told by those with experience that you are the voices of Asoth's children, lighting our predestined paths through your words and knowledge, and that morality often matters little to you, only guiding those you are charged with to their spoken goals, or the goals that would be best for them.

I have also been informed of your strange patchwork knowledge of our world and perceptions of you, and will do my best to keep you informed.

>>
No. 599896 ID: a19cd5
File 141470502091.png - (19.45KB , 1280x1280 , page3.png )
599896

As for my Trial, I have been sent to purify one of the border towns possessed by the corrupting powers of the void.

I suppose it shouldn't really be much of a surprise you are here to guide me through this.

Regardless, here I am. I can see several of the creatures I am here to purify watching me from all angles.
Two large towers loom overhead, and several housing developments surround me.
There is also a tavern here.

Which would you recommend me to enter first?

>>
No. 599897 ID: 189a54

>>599896
Check out the tavern, become badass drunkard priest and purify beasts while drinking.
>>
No. 599901 ID: 9ddf68

I'd suggest finding the area with the fewest corrupted sprites in it and just work you're way up. This way you are less likely to be overwhelmed and we can see exactly what you can do.
>>
No. 599903 ID: 51464a

>>599896
Secure the high ground! Go to the top of that bridge!
>>
No. 599906 ID: 7e38be

>>599901

this is reasonable. no need to charge into a dangerous situation before you fully understand it.

find a couple of chump spirits and exorcise those nerds.
>>
No. 599908 ID: 2fd516

>>599896
I'm guessing purification involves combat of some form? Give us the details.
>>
No. 599910 ID: a19cd5
File 141470906189.gif - (84.33KB , 640x640 , lantern.gif )
599910

>>599906
>>599901
Worry not. As long as I hold a fragment of his Blessed Flame, they cannot go near me. Only the most twisted of voidborn would be capable of dispelling my Flame for as long as I am holding this.

Dispatching the voidtouched individually would be foolish, however. This was a large settlement.
It would be far easier to try and locate the Void altar that facilitates these monstrosities' existences.

>>
No. 599911 ID: 9ddf68

well you seem to have a better idea on how this works so I guess find some high ground and look for the alter unless you know where to find the alter then head there.
>>
No. 599915 ID: 2fd516

Tower's fine.
>>
No. 599921 ID: 2ec61a

and what if there is an incredibly twisted voidborn here able to breach your barrier?
>>
No. 599927 ID: a19cd5
File 141471854591.png - (5.06KB , 640x640 , voidborn tower left.png )
599927

I head for the leftmost tower, as I can see from here that the right one's entrance is blocked off with rubble.
As you said, it will likely grant me a better vantage point for spotting the Void altar. It will almost certainly be filled to the brim with Voidtouched however, so I must be careful and keep a tight grip on my lantern.

>>599921
That is almost a given with an infestation this size. They are somewhat rare, however, and almost entirely nonviolent at that stage. They are only a hazard if you encounter one amidst the hordes of lesser voidtouched. There are even instances of them conversing with priests like myself, though almost all accounts state that listening to them is an unpleasant experience.

The tower looms before me, and in spite of my protection I feel a slight chill of trepidation. The majority of the voidborn retreat as I draw closer, only the braver ones hanging around to observe.

>>
No. 599929 ID: 9ddf68

well if it makes you feel better we're by your side
>>
No. 599932 ID: 002cbe

>>599929
at least in the sense that your destruction would likely cut off our link.
>>
No. 599938 ID: a19cd5
File 141472183131.png - (3.60KB , 640x640 , doorway.png )
599938

To be perfectly honest, I'm not comforted by this knowledge.
Still, I push open the door.

It's very dark. It shouldn't BE this dark with the lantern on.

>>
No. 599939 ID: c1f167

disconcerning...Can these voidtouched stack their powers to create effects like this normally or is this a sign that something bigger/more complicated than a simple void incursion is going on here?
>>
No. 599940 ID: 2fd516

>>599938
Move the lantern around, see if the shadows move. If they don't, then... they aren't shadows.
>>
No. 599942 ID: 2ec61a

does the ritual to purify take time concentration or effort enough that it leaves you vulnerable? while you say it would easier to close the source, doing it here to clear away a large number of them would be useful.
>>
No. 599946 ID: 9ddf68

if it's this dark does that mean your close to the alter?
>>
No. 599949 ID: a19cd5
File 141472418142.gif - (43.77KB , 1280x640 , doorway2.gif )
599949

>>599940
I wave the lantern around. The shadows don't move, but more alarmingly as my hand enters the dark it feels... tingly, for lack of a better description.
It's not an unbearable feeling, but unpleasant enough to discourage me from going further without good reason.

I've never encountered anything like this.

>>599946
No, Void altars tend to be very well-lit.
They attract destructive powers that only vanish when the altar itself does, and they almost always attempt to destroy them to end their own despicable existence.
They are only dangerous because they will also try to end the existence of others, and are almost all entirely unthinking, save for a few.

>>599942
The ritual takes ten minutes, sometimes more. It can only purify one thing at a time, however. I would not be able to clear more than one out at a time, and it would need to be trapped somehow to do so.
It would be near-impossible to bless a whole town from the grasp of Oblivion this way.

>>
No. 599952 ID: 2fd516

>>599949
I saw an eye in there. A BIG one. I think maybe you shouldn't go in there. Tavern, perhaps?
>>
No. 599953 ID: 9ddf68

uh, there's a eye in the shadows, about as big as your torso, so if you're sure this isn't where you'll find the alter maybe you should look somewhere else.
>>
No. 599954 ID: 2ec61a

it seems to be the body of one massive void creature
>>
No. 599958 ID: a19cd5
File 141472665579.gif - (45.01KB , 640x640 , haha no.gif )
599958

>>599952
>>599953
>>599954
I hastily vacate the premises.
>>
No. 599959 ID: a19cd5
File 141472673370.png - (6.29KB , 640x640 , bar.png )
599959

>Tavern

I head for the tavern next. I will have to deal with the thing in the tower entrance soon enough, but it will have to wait I suppose.

As I open the door, I am bathed in light. A welcome change from the dreary darkness I've encountered so far.

>>
No. 599960 ID: 2fd516

>>599959
Doesn't that make it likely the altar is in here? Be wary!

Wait, why aren't the windows lit? Are they dirty or something?
>>
No. 599961 ID: 9ddf68

>>599958
did you trip? near the end there it looked like you rolled.

>>599959
so the light means that you found where the alter is housed or maybe someone who isn't a void being. Either require caution for different reasons so be careful and keep your guard up.
>>
No. 599963 ID: a19cd5
File 141472836556.gif - (37.15KB , 640x640 , barinside.gif )
599963

>Altar light?

No, altar light is different. It feels /wrong/, synthetic even. This feels warm, welcoming.

There is another of my kind here, apparently untouched by the horrors outside. They reek of alcohol and filth, as if they haven't bathed in several days.
They are also sleeping heavily.

>>
No. 599964 ID: 2fd516

Hmm... I see... another eye, but only briefly, like it's just watching you or something. There's a couple of spots that are glowing too but I don't see any significance to them.

At any rate, close the door and gently wake the stranger. Tell them why you're here and ask if they have any useful information on the situation here.
>>
No. 599966 ID: 9ddf68

>>599963
well if you want to try and wake them go for it, but make sure you have a good grip on your lantern there. I keep seeing your little protective aura that thing gives up pop up and keep seeing flashes of something, can't make them out but there's something there. Plus if this whole town went to hell why is this guy (or girl) seemingly untouched? There's something going on here and I'd advise you keep your guard up, until this job is over assume you're always in danger.
>>
No. 599969 ID: a19cd5
File 141472965971.png - (905B , 64x64 , puaseded.png )
599969

adventure paused
>>
No. 600060 ID: a19cd5
File 141482550998.png - (10.28KB , 1280x640 , bar2.png )
600060

I keep my guard up, though I never intended to drop it in the first place.
It takes a bit of jostling but eventually I wake the portly fellow up. Eugh, he's covered in some sort of oil...

Bwugh? who're you? whuzza wan?
>>
No. 600061 ID: 9ddf68

introduce yourself, ask what the hell happened here... and I guess who he is.
>>
No. 600063 ID: 2fd516

>>600060
Ask when was the last time he took a bath.
>>
No. 600064 ID: a19cd5
File 141483083028.png - (4.89KB , 640x640 , despair.png )
600064

I introduce myself. He grunts noncommittally.

I ask who he is and what happened to this town.

He flinches, and slowly turns to face me. I have never seen anyone look half as miserable as the poor drunkard sitting before front of me.

Every time he talks the rancid stench of alcohol wafts my way, forcing me to hold my breath.


Wh'happend? yore askin' wh' HAPPENdD? A damned SLAUGHTER hapend, THAS WHAD!
Th' damnd preachr trickd th' whooooole town, tol' us the Beacon jus' held us back! I TOL' em! I said extinguishin' thbeacon would jus' bring ruin, but no! I saws'em do it! I saw em extinguish the beeegh-beacon. They wer' jus KIDS, they didn deserf tha'.


The strange man goes silent, looking away again to stare at the counter.

But don' matter now. nothin'll matter soon. least ov' all some drunkrd guard.
>>
No. 600065 ID: 2fd516

Tell him if he sobers up he might be able to help you purify this town. You need to know where the Void altar is.
>>
No. 600066 ID: 9ddf68

>>600064
ask if there might be other survivors in the town, also if this place is safe cause if it is we can bring anyone we find here while we try and fix this. If he refuses to help tell him if he helps you stop this here he can help prevent this from spreading and harming others.
>>
No. 600067 ID: a19cd5
File 141483203785.png - (5.47KB , 640x640 , standup.png )
600067

>>600065
s' too late. Too late ferr alla that.
I'm gon' purify m'self soon, join up wif his 'ternal light.
stay 'way frm th' altar. s'too dangrus fer a pretty lass like yerself.


The man stands up with a grunt. I retract slightly, unsure of what he intends. He's a lot taller than I originally thought.
>>
No. 600068 ID: 002cbe

>>600067
He is planning to burn himself alive! It's going to be difficult to keep him away from any flames given you are holding one and he is indoors, so keep him talking, ask him about the preacher, namely appearance and if he has seen him alive and not as a shadow thingy. If you can get him to not consider immediately killing himself see if you can find something to sober him up, bread and any non-fermented drink like milk or boiled water should do.
>>
No. 600069 ID: a19cd5
File 141483369710.gif - (19.51KB , 640x640 , rummaging.gif )
600069

The man stays where he is, rummaging through the front pocket of his coat.
He pulls out a matchbook and a box of cigarettes.

>>
No. 600070 ID: a19cd5
File 141483550114.gif - (72.65KB , 640x640 , strike a light.gif )
600070

>>600068
The man strikes a match, lighting his cigarette.

Miss, I cansee 'at look. Y'no well's I do ths' th' only way 't cn go.
I fail'd m' duty. I failed m' town. I failed my fam'ly. Least I ken do 's go out hon'rably.
F'r fairness' sake though, I'm gon finish m'last smoke bef're I join the 'ternal light. Give y' that long to ask m' questions. Don' waste it tryn' ta talk m'outta it.

>>
No. 600073 ID: 2ec61a

ask if lighting the beacon without clearing the altar would help.
>>
No. 600075 ID: 9ddf68

ask if there is anywhere safe in town, encase you find someone else who's still alive so we don't have to babysit them while we're trying to fix everything. That and where can we find the alter, we got a duty to do as well. And the last thing I can think of is to ask who was it that came to town and tricked everyone into defiling the altar? You know incase we run into him so we know before he stabs us in the back.
>>
No. 600076 ID: ecd337

I guess ask what that preacher looked like, as well as perhaps how long did it take for him to trick the town. (If it took him like only 1 or 3 sessions or so he might have hypnotic powers of some sort.)
Another question, this one for you, is are there other religions then Asoth, or would this preacher pretty much have to be a voidborn in disguise or something like that?
>>
No. 600087 ID: 2fd516

>>600070
No, the least he can do is help the only person that can cleanse this place. Redeem himself. He's choosing the coward's way out.
>>
No. 600111 ID: 4d85c5

Ask who this preacher who wanted to extinguish the beacon was. An outsider? Someone new? Or someone who changed?
>>
No. 600132 ID: a19cd5
File 141490247303.gif - (15.54KB , 640x640 , smoke1.gif )
600132

>>600073
The altar is the beacon, but extinguished. Relighting it is complex and in some situations highly dangerous.
>>600087
No, he's right to be doing this. One as entrenched in sorrow only has so long before they turn to the void themselves. The pyre will save him from this fate.

I start by asking him about safe areas like the bar.


Nod' much lef' bu' here and some places in th' towers an' residenshul areas.
>>
No. 600133 ID: a19cd5
File 141490254161.gif - (15.40KB , 640x640 , smoke2.gif )
600133

I nod solemnly, continuing my chain of questions by asking about survivors.
None. thur' all dead or void. saw 'em die, burned what I could.

>>
No. 600134 ID: a19cd5
File 141490269044.gif - (15.02KB , 640x640 , smoke3.gif )
600134

Finally, I ask about the priest.
He remains silent, finishing his cigarette.

>>
No. 600135 ID: a19cd5
File 141490299681.png - (4.68KB , 640x640 , smokedone.png )
600135

I wait patiently.
Finally he finishes, exhaling a torrent of smoke and stubbing his cigarette out on the counter.

Th' priest w'touched by th' void. Nobody bu' me saw it. Takes one t'know one, I guess. He's still 'round, bu' prolly no' wunna us no-more.

I'm feelin' ready now. Yer onna them holy girls, min' givin me a prayer 'afore I set out? Wanna make it right n' proper.

>>
No. 600136 ID: 2fd516

>>600135
Yes, but... he still didn't say where the altar was. That is important information.
>>
No. 600137 ID: 9ddf68

>>600136
my thoughts exactly, don't see why you shouldn't grant him peace since it's kinda your job but we really do need to find that altar so you can actually do your job
>>
No. 600140 ID: 4d85c5

>>600135
Pray for him. Do the rites. It's only right.
>>
No. 600172 ID: f3a703

Thank you brave soldier, it's time for you to rest.
Let's do the rites for him-I don't see how the time we gain from leaving him to do it himself beats yet another voidtouched running around.
>>
No. 600189 ID: a19cd5
File 141495186509.png - (4.13KB , 640x640 , prayer2.png )
600189

>Altar
Right, right. 's on floor sev'nteen of the ri-most tower, the one withow th' statue of Asoth.
>>
No. 600190 ID: a19cd5
File 141495197801.png - (8.47KB , 640x1280 , prayer.png )
600190

I begin my prayer.

:misotus:By the rage of asoth, I offer this body to you, that it may fuel your divine rage at the void.

>>
No. 600193 ID: a19cd5
File 141495230853.gif - (36.66KB , 640x640 , prayer3.gif )
600193

:misotus:And through this offering, beseech you to welcome this offering's spirit into your divine flame, that it may become a part of you.:barmanlit:
>>
No. 600194 ID: a19cd5
File 141495235704.gif - (442.43KB , 1280x640 , burningmanfestival.gif )
600194

May Asoth's fury guide you in the trials to come.
>>
No. 600196 ID: 2fd516

>>600194
He didn't even scream. I expected a lot more screaming. What's up with that?

It's time for us to try to find an entrance to the rightmost tower, then. Maybe you can move some of the rubble? Or climb up to a window?
>>
No. 600199 ID: dd8e0b

...amen?

Nothing personal, but you guys have kind of a scary faith. Unflinching auto-immolation ain't something you see every day.

But, yeah, you have a target, now. Find that rightmost tower.
>>
No. 600255 ID: 9ddf68

fury huh? not many faiths see fury as a good thing.

But nows not the time for questions of faith, the right tower, was that the one with the big eye void creature? Also how do you go about purifying the altar? Cause I'm half tempted to say just start a big fire and burn everything but I know that's not to practical.
>>
No. 600467 ID: 2fba35

Well, better find that alter, sister. How do you relight it?
>>
No. 600512 ID: 2fba35

also, what does Asoth look like?
>>
No. 600514 ID: a19cd5
File 141524064643.png - (2.65KB , 640x640 , nope.png )
600514

>Asoth
Asoth and his infinite fury is behind all of existence. Every star in the sky came from inside of him, breathed out in many a rant, each one with the goal of shouting life into all traces of the Vast Nothingness.

He's larger than comprehension would allow. Every celestial body in the sky and beyond is part of him or surrounds him. Our own solar system was borne of his spittle, and as such is separate from the main body until our death and subsequent pyre, when we are able to return to him once more to face judgment inside of him to see if we are worthy of rejoining the vast flame, or if we are too empty to fuel his everlasting flame.

>Rightmost tower
I revisit the right tower. Part of the building had collapsed, no doubt due to poor upkeep. I am unable to climb it, and it blocks the only entrance I can find, hence why I said I could not get in this way before.
>>
No. 600522 ID: 9ddf68

>>600514
well if we can't get through the front door do you see any other ways to get in? If not then we're going to have to make and entrance in some way shape or form.
>>
No. 600524 ID: 2fd516

>>600514
There must be some way to get up there... perhaps you could snag a rope on the rubble up there? Do you have any way of fighting the thing in the left tower? I mean there could be something of use in there. If you're not confident you could defeat or avoid whatever's in the other tower, then let's see if we can scavenge something from the bar. Heck, a chair could work to give you a boost to a climbable part of the tower.
>>
No. 600531 ID: 2fba35

agitate the void creatures into rampaging so that the obstruction is dislodged
>>
No. 600536 ID: 2ec61a

what is the material of the blockage? if mostly wood we could ignite it.
>>
No. 601068 ID: a19cd5
File 141559139268.gif - (12.28KB , 640x640 , oh bby.gif )
601068

>What is the blockage made of?
I rub my hand against the blockage. It feels like grit and concrete. From this, I deduce it is in fact several tons of concrete blocking my way in.
>Rope
All I have on me is my medallion and my lantern.
>>
No. 601070 ID: a19cd5
File 141559176411.gif - (106.99KB , 640x640 , wat.gif )
601070

>Use those corrupted by the void

...
There are several problems with this idea.

For starters, they are capable of rational thought, however limited. The danger comes from their lack of any desire towards discourse outside of their own and their violent hostility towards any foreign entities.

In addition, they are not prone to forming packs large enough to be of use.
Manipulating them in any way beyond Rekindling them would be difficult.

>>
No. 601071 ID: 07a835

>>601070
Well, it's looking like you can't get to the altar at all. What can you do here without accessing the altar? You mentioned Rekindling, what is that?
>>
No. 601076 ID: dd8e0b

Would the person who corrupted (Defiled? Darkened?) the altar need or want access to it? If so, there's likely another entrance besides the obvious one that's been blocked off, and you should search for it.
>>
No. 601082 ID: 9ddf68

wasn't there a rope bridge between the two towers or something connecting the two towers? Because if so you might be able to gain access through the other tower. If we do that however then we have to figure a way to get pass the big eyed mother fucker.

If that's not going to happen the the only other useful advice I can offer is look around the town and hope to find something that will let you get into the tower or if you really luck out a secrete passage or some other kind of back door... like the sewers.
>>
No. 601188 ID: 33ebb3

Could one conceivably sever the ropes of the bridge from the ground and then climb up the ropes into the tower with the blockade?
>>
No. 603085 ID: a19cd5
File 141619685979.gif - (19.66KB , 640x640 , hrm.gif )
603085

>Rekindling
Rekindling is pretty straightforward: you set things alight to fill the Void, eradicating it's influence. As you can imagine, however, this is difficult to accomplish when all you have is a Lantern.

>Alternate access for the altar
Probably not. Aside from regular cleaning processes the Altars are mostly self-maintaining. Holy flames tend to never go out unless extinguished manually.

>Can you take a rope?
The rope bridges are several stories above me. The lowest one is maybe five stories up. I doubt I could reach one, and I honestly wouldn't take the rope if I could just cross it instead.

>Sewers
I'm not sure if that would work out well, methane tends to explode and I don't see why there would be anything more than pipes connecting them and the building.
If you really want to try, I can look around for a manhole cover.

>Eye creature
Probably an issue, yes. If I'm correct in my suspicions, though, it's likely to be one of those rarer Voidtouched mutations I mentioned before.
We can cross this bridge when we come to it.

No matter how I look at it, the left tower seems to be our only sure way to the altar.
Hm.

>>
No. 603094 ID: 07a835

>>603085
Oh, I didn't know there were bridges up there between the towers.

Yeah, we gotta confront the eye thing. Is there anything around you can take as an improvised weapon maybe?
>>
No. 603099 ID: 9ddf68

>Rekindling is pretty straightforward: you set things alight to fill the Void, eradicating it's influence.
could you make torches and spread them around town? I mean if all you have to do is just throw some light on the darkness maybe you could light up some torches and place them around town to try and drive out the void creatures, also feel free to light up fire places and any other light sources you find. While I don't think will drive the darkness out of the town entirely it maybe give you some more breathing room. Plus at this point maybe we should look around town for a bit, see if we can't find some more info on what happened her or maybe find some other way to get to the alter, possibly find other survivors as unlikely as that seems. I mean you're not on a time limit right? why rush into things when you can look around to find some more answers.
>>
No. 603184 ID: 2ec61a

hmm... if we surround the tower with torches lit by holy flame, perhaps it will weaken the thing inside somewhat. a barrier of light cutting it off from the rest of the darkness in the area.
>>
No. 603359 ID: e3ac67

Why not call in for backup or go to the library or some higher learning place and research this problem further?
>>
No. 604173 ID: a19cd5
File 141660225245.png - (1.90KB , 320x320 , up8.png )
604173

Perhaps I was a bit unclear: I'm saying I have to set them on fire. Just exposing them to the light wouldn't do it or they would have all melted in the sun by now.

>Calling for backup
I have no way of doing this, and it would invalidate my trial if I did.

I decide it's a tossup between two places:
the local library, or straight to the tower.

Choose One:
>Library
>Tower?
>>
No. 604174 ID: 2ec61a

library, and turn a book into a pile of kindling. just throw a ball of fire at something and it would be more likely to catch.
>>
No. 604175 ID: 9ddf68

>>604173
>library
might as well
>>
No. 604176 ID: 07a835

Oh, the library is a place you can go? Then go there, at the very least there are books to burn.
>>
No. 604191 ID: a19cd5
File 141660517604.png - (5.09KB , 640x640 , library1.png )
604191

I head for the library.
The voidtouched still seem reluctant to approach me, which I am grateful for. There's no telling how long that will last, however.
___________

After a few minutes of searching around, I finally find the library.
There is a bright light coming from inside.
I pause for but a moment, then walk inside, my eyes slowly adjusting to the light.

>>
No. 604192 ID: a19cd5
File 141660519219.png - (2.36KB , 640x320 , library2.png )
604192

OH WOW THAT IS BRIGHT
>>
No. 604193 ID: a19cd5
File 141660527689.png - (2.04KB , 640x320 , library 4.png )
604193

After fumbling with the off switch for a few minutes, my vision clears up a bit.
I look around and immediately notice a man with a missing face resting against the wall.
Oh dear.

>>
No. 604194 ID: 07a835

>>604193
...perform his last rites?
>>
No. 604195 ID: 9ddf68

must have ran in here to try and avoid the void creatures. He's dead right? I mean when you say messing a face he mean part of his head is gone right? cause if not god damn this is going to suck to try and fix.
>>
No. 604279 ID: a19cd5
File 141663051125.png - (6.04KB , 640x640 , splat.png )
604279

I inspect the body closer. It appears that whoever this was, they were a peacekeeper. That, or they stole a peacekeeper's fold.

There is a very large and gruesome hole in his head where his face should be, he is otherwise intact.

>>604194
I say a quick prayer for him. May his spirit burn bright.
>>
No. 604281 ID: 07a835

>>604279
Anything in his pockets? If not, time to start looking around the library then. Maybe see if there's anything flammable. Oh hang on that reminds me... we could get some booze from the bar to make a firebomb. Did the man who burned himself happen to leave behind his matchbook?
>>
No. 604291 ID: 9ddf68

so he have anything useful on him?
>>
No. 604403 ID: eda819

>>604279
Immolate the body?
>>
No. 605645 ID: 6d4898

Look for helpful books before something bad happens. :/
>>
No. 605657 ID: 2ec61a

combo idea. soak the body in booze and light it up and throw it into the building at the giant monster thing. being set on fire and used against the darkness would be like, even better then rotting in the ground.
>>
No. 608815 ID: a19cd5
File 141774692268.png - (5.98KB , 640x640 , update.png )
608815

>Check body
All I find is a crumpled page from a book on aviation technology and a receipt listing the book it's likely from as overdue.
There is no sign of whatever made that hole in his head.


(It looks as if something just tore through him, this tearing wouldn't happen with any kind of firearm and if it were a holy weapon it would have cauterized the wound... Troubling.)


I am hesitant to check any deeper than his pockets, as the void could corrupt this vessel at any time and become a danger.


>Burn body
I didn't take any alcohol with me from the bar, and it is an hour of travel away.
I do, however, prepare my lantern and make a personal note to pick up some for weaponizing later.
I must be quick about this, as long as the Decimation Spark is active the Warding Light will be disabled and the voidtouched will be fully aware of where I am without having to rely on sight.

>>
No. 608816 ID: a19cd5
File 141774692460.png - (4.50KB , 640x640 , update2.png )
608816

The Decimation Spark starts building up, slowly gravitating towards the gruesome corpse laying before me, as if being sucked into the gaping cavity bored through its head.
>>
No. 608817 ID: a19cd5
File 141774692666.png - (4.95KB , 640x640 , update3.png )
608817

After several quite suspenseful moments, it erupts, bathing the body in violent and almost blinding shower of blue fire, decimating it from existence.
>>
No. 608829 ID: a19cd5
File 141774751862.png - (4.87KB , 640x640 , splatted.png )
608829

When my vision finally clears, nothing is left save for a burned-in imprint of the ash set into the wall.

I quickly switch back over to the Warding Light , but I must move on fast or risk dealing with whatever noticed me while it was extinguished

>>
No. 608831 ID: 687279

>>608829
Move deeper into the library!
>>
No. 612269 ID: 269d8e

investigate the bright light
>>
No. 612322 ID: 2ec61a

head up stairs? is there more then one level to this place?
>>
No. 613152 ID: a19cd5
File 141899350193.png - (4.94KB , 640x640 , updort.png )
613152

>>608831
>>612322
With the looming threat of attack and seeing no alternative, I swiftly make my way deeper into the library.

I pass by innumerable shelves of musty, decaying tomes, the rot of the surrounding swamplands having long ago seeped into the very roots of this hallowed place of knowledge.

Suffice to say, if it weren't for all the horrible things shambling about I'd be having a very stern talk with whomever was in charge of this place.

It occurs to me I don't recall my reason for going here.

Is there anything in particular I should try to find while I'm here?

>>
No. 613153 ID: 2ec61a

wanted to gather burnables. light a book on fire with sacred flame and throw it at enemies.
>>
No. 613176 ID: 9ddf68

think we're mostly just exploring, seeing if we can't find a way past that one scary SoB or any other survivors. Think we started with the library since it's a place of learning and we're trying to learn the cities layout.
>>
No. 613210 ID: a6e73d

I think we came here just to put off having to deal with the massive void creature in the tower

do you think your Decimation spark will be effective against it?
>>
No. 618459 ID: a19cd5
File 142052865716.png - (6.33KB , 640x640 , book.png )
618459

>>613153
I gather a book to carry with me. It takes a while to find one that's not rotting to mush. It's a smaller tome on "Theoretical Geology." Blegh.
>>613176
I'm still not certain what I saw in there. It was big, though. Possibly one of the further-mutated Voidtouched?

>>613210
The decimation spark would do well against whatever it might be, if not for it's incredible lack of speed. It takes a long while to charge, and even longer for the resultant swarm energy to get anywhere.

And the entire time I use it I am vulnerable.

It's only ever been useful for body disposal and unblocking pathways. Also garbage disposal, but if the temple ever found out I was using holy relics to clean my home I'd probably be disbarred.

>>
No. 618466 ID: 687279

>>618459
So, we either need to find a way to kill the thing without using the spark, or find a way to do so without being swarmed. What else can you do with the lantern?

It's also possible you could go back there again and see if you can just sortof... walk past it.
>>
No. 618487 ID: 2ec61a

let's leave with the book. when we get back to the tower open it up, rip out some pages and make paper balls. light them on holy fire and throw them into the room. offensive defense.
>>
No. 625244 ID: a19cd5
File 142405867368.png - (6.01KB , 640x640 , updota.png )
625244

>>618487
I take the book, stowing it in my clothing for when it is needed.
Pressing on through winding corridors of bookcases and poor civic planning, I finally find a map and find my way to an exit.
There is a small problem with it, however.

>>
No. 625245 ID: a19cd5
File 142405878416.png - (3.47KB , 640x640 , updota2.png )
625245

Once again, the light of my lantern isn't piercing the veil of the dark, and whatever I sensed earlier is starting to encroach as well.
Should I brave the darkness, or face the entity following me?

>>
No. 625246 ID: d958ad

The darkness isn't going anywhere. You should make sure you don't get pinned, and face the follower.
>>
No. 625249 ID: 9ddf68

see who's been following you to make sure they're not going to stab you in the back or something. Also would you say the darkness is growing or is it just sorta tracking you?
>>
No. 625270 ID: a19cd5
File 142407823617.png - (6.35KB , 640x640 , updota3.png )
625270

I turn around.
>>
No. 625273 ID: 9ddf68

well with the walls at it's side you could probably be able to shoot it with Decimation Spark but I don't know how quick it is. I mean if it's slow then yeah shoot the hell out of it but if you think it will reach you before you could get the shot off we're going to need more options. This thing can't hurt you with warding light on right?
>>
No. 625276 ID: d958ad

It's the fucking thing from the tower. Throw rocks at it.
>>
No. 625284 ID: 20459c

...When all you have is a latern...
If you set fire to the book, could you do something with it and maintain the Warding Light?
Would lighting the books in here, decomposed as they might be, be sufficent to rekindle the Void being?
And lastly...If that Void-being sees you, can other void creatures know where you are from it?
>>
No. 625560 ID: ccfb4b

fire it up. cover everything in holy fire should help a lot.
>>
No. 625965 ID: a19cd5
File 142450102471.gif - (76.97KB , 640x640 , attack1.gif )
625965

>>625273
>>625276
>>625284
>>625560
I prepare myself for a fight, readying the musty tome and my Lantern.
>>
No. 625966 ID: a19cd5
File 142450102747.png - (19.58KB , 1280x1280 , attack2.png )
625966

Setting the book alight, I throw it as hard as I am able into the hastily-encroaching mass of pitch.
>>
No. 625967 ID: a19cd5
File 142450103187.png - (16.18KB , 1280x1280 , attack3.png )
625967

It is consumed.
>>
No. 625977 ID: d958ad

Uh okay I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that your spark won't be ready by the time it reaches you. Therefore, you're gonna have to try your luck with the solid? darkness.
>>
No. 626350 ID: a19cd5
File 142475128596.gif - (25.12KB , 640x640 , surprise.gif )
626350

Oh fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck.
You know it really doesn't have to be this hard.
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK
>>
No. 626352 ID: a19cd5
File 142475157710.gif - (99.35KB , 640x640 , surprise 1.gif )
626352

Asoth please, guide me! Let your beacon shine bright through the darkness
Please. There's no need for such uncouth tongue.
FUCK THAT, FUCK YOU.
Rude.
>>
No. 626354 ID: 9ddf68

>You know it really doesn't have to be this hard.
FUCK THAT
Decimation Spark is worthless at this range so I say make sure your warding light is up and just swing the lantern right into his fucking dick. That or the eye, whatever one you think you're more likely to hit. I mean unless you have some weapon on you that you haven't told us about yet or think you could hit harder with your tail or something I think that's your best bet as I'm not to sure we can run from this dick bag.
>>
No. 626356 ID: d958ad

>>626352
Well you're not dead yet.

How is this thing TALKING to you? I thought all the darkness-things were mindless. Maybe you can find out what it wants, considering you're not dead?
>>
No. 626395 ID: b9cef6

Swing that shit at it while backing up. If you miss, that's fine, because while swinging at it ask it what it wants. The spirits bound to the Alters hate them just as much as you do, right? Maybe this is the guy, and it can show is where the alter is so we can smash it.
>>
No. 627357 ID: d958ad

>>627355
You're still not dead. Ask what it wants. Also, what/who it is.
>>
No. 627359 ID: 9ddf68

>>627355
the only thing I know of that removes darkness is light. No idea how to make more light though unless you can crank you lantern up even brighter. Other then that... run? I mean we're raptly running out of things to actually try so if you do run... see if you can't make it back to the tavern where that one guy burned himself to death. it still had the lights on.
>>
No. 627363 ID: a19cd5
File 142528563545.gif - (35.21KB , 640x640 , Aggrieve.gif )
627363

(reuploaded due to text errors)
I flail wildly at the only place I can see, to little avail.
My, you're quite violent, aren't you?
It's voice is choppy and unnatural, loud and silent at once, like a swarm of angry moths fluttering and bashing themselves about inside my skull. It's like my head's falling asleep, and it is VERY UNPLEASANT.
And dramatic, too, I see.
Oh dear asoth help me it reads minds.
>>
No. 627388 ID: bd8b82

wait... calm down, it surrounds you but you are not hurt. get up, keep moving.
>>
No. 627512 ID: a2b630

You're surrounded by shadow, but he's made no moves to hurt you. Get up, dust yourself off, and keep moving toward the shrine.

... And for plot sake, continue keeping conversation up with him. He's right, you're being very rude, and that's not helping you when he's not harming you. So lighten up, buttercup.
>>
No. 634355 ID: a19cd5
File 142899858887.gif - (43.66KB , 640x640 , snekcharm.gif )
634355

>>627388
I'M TRYING! But-but I can't shut it off! I can't CENTER myself! It's like my skin is on fire, it BURNS SO BAD!

Ahaha, wow. Telling someone under my thrall to calm down, it's like you aren't even AWARE of what I am! What, did your Opa not tell you about the Shades?
Sentient blobs of darkened nothingness, waiting to just...

>>
No. 634356 ID: a19cd5
File 142899859203.gif - (10.54KB , 640x640 , chomp.gif )
634356

Eat you up?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIEGH!!!
>>
No. 634357 ID: a19cd5
File 142899859640.gif - (24.78KB , 640x640 , blink.gif )
634357

Of course, that would be far too swift for YOUR jaded imaginations, now, wouldn't it? Perhaps I'm something a bit more subtle. A darkness, creeping in at the edges, slowly consuming those who wander too deep.

But where would the fun be in that?

>>
No. 634358 ID: 296917

>>634357
Why not come along for the ride as she fumbles around in the dark, nearly defenseless against the things that lie in wait? We can entertain you, so cease your aggression.
>>
No. 634360 ID: bd8b82

get your lamp, it's still there. light the whole building on fire.
>>
No. 634368 ID: 9ddf68

have to say, when this is all over, I'd suggest finding a new profession, because something that sends priest in training into something like this without backup, without information, and without teaching them how to even properly defend themselves honestly sounds like a crap venture to tag alone with.

For now though... You're still you, you're still alive, and you still need to light the shrine. If this was the same thing blocking your path earlier you're now free to travel up one of the towers to reach the shrine. As for a last resort... use fire? On everything around you, on yourself? Not recommending it but hey, the option is there.
>>
No. 634374 ID: fbc59e

Okay, if one void knows where you are they all do right?
So that means Decimating Spark-you're given away, so at least be ready to fight, as much as one can fight, with that thing...
You wouldn't be able to use it on that thing on your head without roasting yourself right?
>>
No. 634388 ID: 88960e

>>634368
I have to second the sentiment, there. Someone did you a disservice sending you into this not forewarned and prepared.

...ask the thing to cease with the hypotheticals. Nevermind what it could be, or what we imagine. What does it want?
>>
No. 635725 ID: a19cd5
File 142966564070.gif - (136.53KB , 1280x1280 , apollo2.gif )
635725

>>634358
Why would I want to? No, I can have all the fun I need right here.
>>634360
i can't move. where is my beacon?
I think your frend here could use some breathing room. How about I set that up?
>>
No. 635726 ID: a19cd5
File 142966567368.png - (31.83KB , 1280x1280 , apollo1.png )
635726

Ah, much better. MUCH better. So, you wanted to talk? let's talk.
stop, please
>>
No. 635748 ID: 296917

>>635726
How can we convince you to let her go?
>>
No. 641438 ID: a19cd5
File 143202552903.gif - (246.19KB , 640x640 , NO.gif )
641438

>>635748
help
where am I being taken
what is ha-


You can't. I will destroy her mind, then the Corrupted will eat her body.

And then, with time, I will destroy you.
You, whose unnatural existence spits against the unstoppable fate of all things.

I despise you.
>>
No. 641440 ID: bd8b82

if there is nothing you want other then destruction, then we must kill you first.
come at me bro.

[psi explosion]
>>
No. 641441 ID: b9cef6

I don't think you can.
You may have killed our charge. Which sucks. But I really, really doubt you can kill us. I'm not even sure you can kill her.
You're a lot of big talk and spooky eyeballs and dream pilars, but if you could actually do anything with any meaning, you wouldn't need that. You're overcompensating.
Now, if you'll excuse us,
>Misotus, WAKE UP
>RESIST
>>
No. 641444 ID: 9ddf68

>I despise you.
why? what are we to you? hell just what are, who are you? You seem to harbor so much hate for us but we know next to nothing about you.
>>
No. 641446 ID: fbc59e

Do you have a name?
>>
No. 641449 ID: 88960e

>I will destroy her mind
That's not very nice! And you wondered why she reacted badly to your presence.

>I despise you
But we're so personable!

...but sorry, you can't actually kill us. Worst you could do is block or interrupt our communication. Which is rude, and a little annoying, but non-fatal.
>>
No. 641491 ID: e114bc

Okay so our charge is helpless and you're not listening to reason, which means... there must be something WE can do.

[invoke fire]
>>
No. 647073 ID: f262c4

Resist! You must fight it! Don't let this thing win!
>>
No. 647547 ID: a19cd5
File 143392764397.gif - (60.35KB , 640x640 , eyepdate.gif )
647547

>>641449
>>641440
>>641491
My my MY, so hostile! I hope you don' mind my Rebuttal.

>there is a ripple, and one of the voices falls silent.

Would that I could, I'd kill all of you, if it wouldn't draw the wretched bird's attentions to me.

>>641449
You want to know my purpose, voice? My drive? I desire silence, an end to the ceaseless thrumming cacaphony of existence itself, and you stand in the way of that.
The vibrating fibres of the universe upset me. Keep me awake. Consciousness is an unending agony unto itself even without all this NOISE.
So, to put it succintly:
I am a facet and arbiter of the end.
I wish you to die so that I myself may also die.
So please, kindly do.

>>
No. 647552 ID: bcfc45

So you wish to die then? Then why not walk into the flames, a short moment of pain and then the silence you so crave. Much quicker then waiting for the end as well.
>>
No. 647553 ID: e114bc

>>647547
You didn't kill me.

ASOTH! WE REQUIRE YOUR RAGE! I FUCKING HATE THIS GUY!
>>
No. 647574 ID: bd8b82

so why do you resist the silent embrace of death?
>>
No. 647575 ID: fbc59e

I find it funny how rage seems to be in common with both sides.
Rage, at the void and it's constant attacks, at the victims it's taken, and at the inability to find peace in a world where the darkness can reach out and take you at any time...
Rage, at existance, at having to endure suffering constantly, at that blasted light that if only you could merely snuff it out-but you can't?
I think, both of you have quite a bit to be angry at, don't you agree?
>>
No. 647577 ID: b9cef6

If being awake gives you pain, and we're keeping you up, why not just... go away? Deep, deep underground, or simply far away, where life can't bother you. Why struggle against something infinitely vast which expands exponentially? You can't destroy life. Not all of it. It would be wiser and more energy efficient to just flee from its oncoming advance.
Or, of you're really so desperate for death, we would gladly kill you. We both get to walk away happy.
>>
No. 647578 ID: 88960e

>there is a ripple, and one of the voices falls silent.
Because that's observeably one of us dying and discinct from communication being cut off. Or perception / UI hacking bluster.

Oh wait. No, all you've managed to be is annoying. And heck, even if you could prove you'd killed one of us, well, that's the advantage of being legion. It doesn't matter.

>I wish you to die so that I myself may also die.
>So please, kindly do.
I'm sorry, but our differences are irreconcilable. We won't be doing that.
>>
No. 647944 ID: a79844

The problem for you is that for any who fall many more shall rise up.

You face many, and you are nothing.
>>
No. 650422 ID: a19cd5
File 143513276407.gif - (242.71KB , 640x640 , nah.gif )
650422

>>647553
Oh, fuck you. Fuuuuuck you.
I'll be watchiIIIIIIIEIEIEIIEIIIIEIAAAAAA-
[The Shade has been pushed away, for the time being. You have 3 Boons remaining.]
>>
No. 650423 ID: e114bc

>>650422
Well that sucked. Hey lady, you alright? We gotta find that bridge.
>>
No. 650424 ID: bd8b82

Misotus, wake up, slither like you have never slithered before.
>>
No. 650427 ID: a19cd5
File 143513376568.gif - (94.02KB , 640x640 , thread end.gif )
650427

[End of Thread 1.]
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password