[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 509215)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 41314 unique user posts. View catalog

File 136800913143.png - (242.59KB , 800x600 , 1.png )
509215 No. 509215 ID: 5a5dd4

You wish you could say this was the first time you've woken up face down in a ditch. It's not. However, it is the first time you've woken up face down in a ditch buried in snow.

It is as cold as fuck.

You are also acutely aware of the fact that most of your stuff is gone. Your clothes feel intact, but the reassuring heft of your pack is painfully absent.

You hope your pack is somewhere nearby, but really, it wouldn't be the first time you've lost all of your stuff.


What is your name, race, and gender?
Expand all images
>>
No. 509216 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136800919561.png - (134.37KB , 800x600 , 2.png )
509216

Races:
(I hope you like text (and non-standard fantasy races using standard fantasy race names))

Dwarves hail from the dark depths of the earth, and much of their physique and outlook reflect this. Their eyesight suffers due to their cave adaptation, so they rely more on hearing and touch than usual. They are, however, a strong people with lithe, powerful bodies suited to climbing and fighting. Their skills in the academic and divine are both aggressively average. They are renowned for their calm nature, dislike of tight clothing, and incredible hearing.

Dwarves are strong. Their thick fur varies wildly in length, but their colouring remains firmly in the rocky greys and browns. Their large ears never fail to be impressive, and their hair is more accurately liked to a mane than anything else. Endurance is average. Despite their eyesight problems, they are often considered to be the best fighters among the races of men.


Elves are very much attuned with nature, and often find solace in their connection to the earth and the wilds. Elves have a way with magic that none of the other races can quite match, but tend to have problems with memorization, math, and other academic pursuits. They are also renowned for their somewhat barbaric nature, dislike of clothing, and ability to eat raw meat. And their intense enjoyment of raw meat. And blood.

Elves are tall and slender and have pointy ears, teeth, and horns. They have a propensity towards long hair, which they often adorn with trinkets. Their cloven hooves and lithe bodies make them excellent runners, but mediocre swimmers and climbers. Endurance is good, but strength tends to be lacking, on account of their sleight frames.


Kobolds are frankly kind of adorable. Adorable and horribly poisonous. It's pretty much the only a reason that such a small and weak race has survived for this long. While they are not particularly strong in traditional academia or magic, they are very crafty and creative. They are renowned for their bleak outlook on life, their love of plain and oversized clothing, and their poisonous blood.

Kobolds are small, weak, very colourful, and incredibly cute. Their skin and hair are both home to bright patterns. Their size means they are actually pretty alright at running and climbing, but fighting and swimming are both a bit above their weight class.


Harpies rule the skies. Or rather, they used to. Their massive, leathery wings still allow for flight, but even the best fliers of today pale in comparison to the fliers of old. What they lack in hands, they make up for with dexterous tongues and feet. While they are somewhat below average with their magical pursuits, their academic skills are beyond compare. They are renowned, somewhat ironically, for their short attention span, dislike of heavy clothing, and their incredible eyesight.

Harpies, outside of the wings, are fairly average. Their short, dark fur and hair is often thought to have been a product of ancient hunting practices, and their four eyes tend towards unusual colours. They are somewhat shorter and significantly lighter than average, but their strength and endurance are both astoundingly mediocre. They are terrible swimmers.


The Mer rule the seas. Their presence on the land is considerable weaker. Their aquatic nature grants them the ability to breathe both water and air, though the transition between the two is hardly becoming. The Mer are not particularly fond of reading or writing, but they have a strong tradition of oral storytelling and teaching that offers a unique perspective on the arcane. They are renowned for their positive outlook, favor of heavy clothing on land and tight clothing in the water, and incredible aversion to the sun.

The Mer are sleek and powerful swimmers. Their large, black eyes and smooth, pigmentless skin are the obvious reasons for their dislike of the sun. They are, however, somewhat bioluminescent, and are never truly in complete darkness. They are surprisingly mobile on land, but are terrible at climbing.
>>
No. 509219 ID: cf49fc

>>509216
Nah, let's skip all of those and pick the most evil of all races: MAN!

Or Elves. Dwarves seem to be barbarians.
>>
No. 509220 ID: d6ef5d

Cave blind fuzzy dorfs, bloodthirsty fey elves, standard 'bolds, armless monster girls, and glowing fish. Neat!

Gender: female

Races in order of preference: Harpy, dorf, elf, fish, bold.
>>
No. 509229 ID: 76b151

>>509220
I like harpies. So seconding.
>>
No. 509230 ID: cfb919

>>509216
Harpy.
No-hands hard mode.
Let's avoid being the one-in-a-million harpy mage too for further difficulty.
>>
No. 509231 ID: d6ef5d

It's better than no hands hard mode. We're going to have to be picking up things with our tongue in the dead of winter, we don't favor warm clothing, and we're going to be stranded in the woods with a background in frivolous academia instead of practical survival skills.

So obviously the best choice.
>>
No. 509234 ID: eaf2f5

The power of flight! Harpy is clearly the best choice.

Gender: Male for the sake of variety

Name: Arndt
>>
No. 509235 ID: 001618

who hasn't ever wanted to fly - Harpy all the way

Gender- Female because I have never heard of a male harpy

Name- Aella
>>
No. 509241 ID: 933f92

Female harpy in un here!
>>
No. 509245 ID: af8414

Race: Harpy
Name: Friga
>>
No. 509246 ID: e653a5

for once the elves are not total faggots but are the real, Fair Folk kind of badass deal. and nobody picks 'em.

fuck you all. cannibal elves get all my votes.
>>
No. 509247 ID: e653a5

also, male.
>>
No. 509248 ID: dc4a44

Fluffy dwarf.
>>
No. 509249 ID: bf54a8

mirell
harpy
female
>>
No. 509251 ID: 403857

Harpy. Male. Because /quest/ votes for a female protagonist EVERY FUCKING TIME.
>>
No. 509252 ID: eaa372

Mako
Mer
Male

We will conquer these filthy land crawlers.
>>
No. 509254 ID: 78c6ea

Dwarf. It's cold as fuck. You want to be something without fur right now?
>>
No. 509256 ID: 2fbf20

>>509216
Are you any good at drawing scenery? If not then I can't I'd want to play as a harpy.
>>
No. 509257 ID: c74bfa

I want to see a male Harpy character. just cause eggs are inconvenient and flying isnt.
>>
No. 509258 ID: a5478c

male harpy
>>
No. 509259 ID: c74bfa

AND I REALY WANTED THE BLOODELF MURDERHOBO.
>>
No. 509260 ID: 76b151

meh the 'we always picks female' is a myth. That being said... I still go with a female harpy. Gotta go with the classics.
>>
No. 509282 ID: 200d38

Be the Dorf
Make magma walls
>>
No. 509285 ID: 2f4b71

Science Harpy all the way.
>>
No. 509294 ID: f2c20c

It's been a while since we played a fluffy blind chick. I wanna go for Female Dwarf.

I'll throw out Friella as a name.
>>
No. 509361 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136806770818.png - (241.37KB , 800x600 , 3.png )
509361

Oh sweet fuck the air is even colder than the snow.

You wrap your wings around yourself the second you're free from the snow. It doesn't help with the cold all that much.
>>
No. 509362 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136806778270.png - (246.35KB , 800x600 , 4.png )
509362

Now free of the snow, you can see that the ditch you’ve found yourself in is really more of a pit or small cave than anything else. It's open to the sky, but you don't really have enough room to just fly out from where you are. You do not hold very much faith in your climbing skills, but you might be able to fly out if you climbed higher up. The tree maybe? It'd be easier to climb than the cliff wall, but it doesn't look particularly sturdy. At least if everything goes horribly wrong, the snow will probably cushion your fall.

There's also that tunnel entrance. You aren't very fond of caves or small spaces in general, but at least you'd be out of the snow. There'd probably be a way out, or at least a path to somewhere else; Tunnels and caves have this really odd way of connecting in incredibly complex networks. You used to be able to get to pretty much anywhere in the world without ever seeing the sky.

As it turns out, even the legendary dwarven tunnels survived about as well as the rest of the world. Which is to say, they didn't.

What will you do?

On second thought, we'll decide on a name later. On a more pressing issue, I count six votes male and six votes female, with a bunch of people seconding 'female harpy' but really only commenting on the harpy part. I dunno. I think I'm just gonna roll with it until it's horribly inconvenient or we get some serious tiebreaker action.
>>
No. 509365 ID: bf54a8

kick the tree a few times to test it. if it cracks then forget about it and go caveward.

second round of votes let's go.
female
mirell

>>
No. 509367 ID: 76b151

>>509365
this sounds good.
>>
No. 509369 ID: d6ef5d

>>509365
Seconding the plan of action and character traits/name.

>about as well as the rest of the world
What happened to the world?
>>
No. 509371 ID: 9ddf68

try the tree first and see if you can't just fly out of here, if that doesn't work, well the cave isn't going to go anywhere.

Also what happened to the world?

don't care about name really but lets go female
>>
No. 509384 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136807468413.png - (283.56KB , 800x600 , 5.png )
509384

The trunk seems sturdy enough; it’s the branches that might be a problem. There should be enough room to take off, but even then, the pit is maybe four wingspans across and roughly circular, so you won't have much room to work with. You think you can probably make it out without seriously injuring yourself. And then you'll be able to take to the skies and make the rest of your journey on wing. Or look for food or shelter or other more pertinent things.

You are slowly freezing to death in the middle of fucknowhere without any supplies, after all.

You’re kind of hungry, too.

As for what happened to the world? The Outside took it back. Or rather, is currently taking it back. Obviously, the bit you're on is still more or less fine, despite the odd weather. Snow isn't particularly common in these parts, especially not in the middle of summer, but the ground is intact, and you can't really ask for much more than that.
>>
No. 509386 ID: bf54a8

okay then climb. but abort at the first sign of trouble.
>>
No. 509387 ID: d6ef5d

Well, um, before we try taking to the skies, is there anything useful directly inside the cave? Anything edible, maybe?

And will you be okay, flying? You're currently wrapped in your own winds for warmth- that's not gonna be an option in the air.

>the Outside
Care to elaborate on what that is?
>>
No. 509401 ID: 9ddf68

well might as well try and fly out of here, once you get your wings pumping I'm sure you'll warm up at least somewhat.
>>
No. 509407 ID: 35edd4

>>509365
Repeating yourself isn't going to break any ties. Put your goddamn dick back in your pants.


Well, if you think you can get out of there safely, no reason not to go for it. The exercise of flight will warm you up.
>>
No. 509408 ID: 35edd4

Oh, and do some warmup exercise on the ground first so you don't crash due to stiffness from cold.
>>
No. 509409 ID: f2c20c

>>509384
Before we make a move for the sky, there's some disturbed snow on the opposite side of the cave from the tree. Check that out.
>>
No. 509416 ID: eaf2f5

Even if you manage to take off and fly out of the pit won't you just freeze to death while flying in the cold air?
You should go explore the cave first, we can always just return and try the flying plan if we don't find anything useful.
>>
No. 509420 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136808591505.png - (61.62KB , 800x600 , 6.png )
509420

The tunnel goes for a bit then turns a corner. It looks pretty empty. And dark.

You might be okay flying in the cold? Your wings would be doing a great job of keeping the warmth in if there was actually any significant amount of warmth to keep in. It really depends on how far you have to fly, you think. Sure, you're going to freeze your butt off, but you'll get way farther than just walking.

Your wings don't even wrap around to cover your butt, so it's basically a writeoff at this point regardless.
>>
No. 509421 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136808601648.png - (238.95KB , 800x600 , 7.png )
509421

The Outside is weird. You only know about it from a few old books about the gods and reality, and at the time the books were considered to be hilariously inaccurate. You read them for a good laugh.

You suppose that the authors would probably be laughing now, if not for the fact that they're long dead and their graves have likely been consumed by the Outside.

So; Imagine for a moment, everything that the gods have ever created. Everything that has ever existed. Every flower, every island, every song, every rock, every secret, every city, every ocean, every snowflake, every person, every stupid fucking freezing pit.

Everything that mortal minds were ever meant to know.
>>
No. 509423 ID: 400dc8

>>509421
NOW MY HEAD HURTS
>>
No. 509424 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136808610380.png - (228.82KB , 800x600 , 8.png )
509424

The Outside is everything that isn't that.



This is the worst idea you've had in quite a while.

Any last thoughts?
>>
No. 509430 ID: eaf2f5

YOLO

Thank the heavens we can fly, if we were some other race we would have been stuck down that pit.
>>
No. 509434 ID: f2c20c

>>509424
How are we going to gain altitude? Looking at it, it seems like we'll have to gain like 8 feet while trying not to run into the walls of this room. Better be sure you can actually do it before we try.
>>
No. 509441 ID: bf54a8

be sure to abort and drop into the snow if it looks like you will smash into the edge rather then out the hole.
>>
No. 509458 ID: 747c7e

do it. maybe you'll die and we'll get to reroll an elf.
>>
No. 509462 ID: d6ef5d

Plan snowy skyward corkscrew is a go.

>This is the worst idea you've had in quite a while.
It can't be worse than whatever thought or idea got you stuck in this mess in the first place.

>outside
Okay, so the abyss / void / wyld / negaverse is eating away at reality. How fast is that happening? Besides from nonsense like a sudden summer snowstorm, is that something that's going to be a problem in your lifetime? I mean, the world's not going to be finished off anytime soon, right?
>>
No. 509467 ID: 9ddf68

well nothing ventured nothing gained, see if you can't just fly out of here. It's either that or walking the through the dark cave hoping you find a way out.
>>
No. 509646 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136818111473.png - (279.15KB , 800x600 , 9.png )
509646

You are going to gain altitude by flapping your wings a lot.

'Abort' isn't in your vocabulary.

Though, that isn't what got you into this snowy mess. Last you remember, it was a pleasant summer evening and you had just made camp for the night. You fell asleep there and woke up in a fucking icy pit with all of your stuff gone!

The Outside is actually eating the world fairly quickly! You've only outrun it so far because you figured out what was happening and skipped town long before anyone else did.

Here goes nothing!
>>
No. 509647 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136818117247.gif - (1.18MB , 800x600 , 10.gif )
509647

Fuck

Maybe just
nope

fuck

no no
right
no

fuck

Just a bit

fffffuck

no

just
Fuck

one more time

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff…
>>
No. 509648 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136818122324.gif - (1.28MB , 800x600 , 11.gif )
509648

ffffFFFFREEEDOM!

FUCK YEAoh for the love of fuck you thought you had a way better lead on that.

Uh.



Plans?

Fly away very fast?
>>
No. 509650 ID: f2c20c

>>509648
That sounds about right. I mean. Uh. What else could we do?
>>
No. 509653 ID: 306558

>>509650

well, we could fly right into the Outside.
>>
No. 509655 ID: bf54a8

i almost think the tunnel would be better. have a feeling there is phat loots down there.
>>
No. 509659 ID: d6ef5d

>Fly away very fast?
Away from the outside? Yeah.

Gaining altitude might help too. Not in the getting away from the edge (I assume that goes all the way up), but in that a higher perspective might help you in figuring out where you want to go. (Besides away).
>>
No. 509660 ID: cd236c

Geeze, uh, how long do you suppose it will take for EVERYTHING to be reclaimed? Do you know of any places that are likely to be more resistant, like cities full of mages or something? Or is this more of a "try to earn a few extra days of life" kind of running away?

You don't suppose the outside is at all habitable, do you? Because that would be really convenient in a few days.
>>
No. 509664 ID: 9ddf68

well it looks like the outside has just come to great you, so you should probably fly away from this thing. You can out fly it right, It's not gaining on you that fast as to overtake you even when you're at top speed right?
>>
No. 509673 ID: 78c6ea

Just ignore it. If the Outside is something other than anything that exists, then it doesn't exist! You must just be imagining things. The weather is warm and the lands are fine.
>>
No. 509803 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136824383112.gif - (1.10MB , 800x600 , 12.gif )
509803

Altitude, right. Get a better vantage point. You can't see anything helpful with all the snow, but the clouds don't look particularly high. Get above them, and you should be able to see your destination.

Meanwhile, you actively ignore the end of the world by thinking about your experiences with the end of the world.

So, you've been running, or rather, flying, from the Outside for a while now. A few weeks, maybe. Keeping track of time hasn't exactly been a high priority. Everything started falling apart in some city far away from your home, and you left when the news of the apocalypse first arrived. You had a good lead on it for quite a while.

Speed-wise, the Outside has been grossly inconsistent. You've been moving as fast as your wings can carry you for the length of your journey, but on some days you couldn't even see it on the horizon, while on other days it was about as close as it is now.

It overtook you once, while you were asleep.

You awoke on a chunk of earth that had only just separated from the main landmass.
>>
No. 509804 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136824386527.gif - (1.02MB , 800x600 , 13.gif )
509804

See, the Outside consumes everything.

You can survive within it for very short periods of time, maybe a few seconds at most, but there isn't really any guarantee that you'll come out the other side the same as you entered, or that you'll even come out at all.

Needless to say, flying across the few feet of Outside between you and the mainland was pretty much the most unpleasant thing you have ever experienced.

But with any luck, you’ll be done running very soon.
>>
No. 509805 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136824390809.gif - (1.00MB , 800x600 , 14.gif )
509805

Pretty much everything is gone now.

At first, the people did not believe the heralds of the apocalypse. They were consumed.

Then the people flocked to places of worship, or to the great academies, or to the depths. Sacred places. Places built and ensorcelled to endure this sort of thing. They were consumed.

Then the people ran. They were too late. They were consumed.

You have reason to believe that your destination will endure the Outside where all else failed.

If you are wrong, if this last hope does not survive, the few remaining chunks of your world will likely be consumed within the day.
>>
No. 509806 ID: 76b151

(dear god this is pretty)

Alright, nothing to do but fly... I think sleeping is no longer a possibility. So Fly until you drop.
>>
No. 509809 ID: f2c20c

>>509805
What is our destination? If it is one of the last places to be consumed then... the Outside must be working in towards it. That in itself is solid evidence that it might endure, or at least hold some clue to surviving this apocalypse.

Where did the Outside begin consuming?
>>
No. 509811 ID: bf54a8

>>509809
>Everything started falling apart in some city far away from your home, and you left when the news of the apocalypse first arrived.


what makes you think this last place will work?
>>
No. 509816 ID: d6ef5d

In all honesty though... if there's only a day left, and only one place left to go, there's not much choice, is there? Whether it's a haven or not, it's the only way to go. Whether you buy yourself a day or a lifetime, either is a lifetime longer than you will have if you stay here.

So... out of curiosity, what is this place? Why did you think it would be safe? I assume it's something you picked up in your studies at some point? (Hey, whataya know, frivolous academia and wings turned out to be the most important traits for surviving the end of the world after all).
>>
No. 509833 ID: 9ddf68

so have you meet many people in your travels to this last oasis in a dying world, were they the ones that gave you the idea to go here or was this your detestation from the start? Either way what makes this place special and different from all the other places that have fallen to the outside?

As for what to do, yeah you should probably just try to put as much distance between you and the outside as you can so you don't get eaten by the stuff and just because you see it slowing down, unless you're about to pass out from exhaustion, doesn't mean you should slow down as well

oh and how far are you from this place anyways?
>>
No. 509845 ID: 78c6ea

It seems the Outside is part of that which exists after all. That makes it knowable by mortal minds. To a degree, I mean nobody can imagine all the individual grains of sand. It's just in this case the sand is reality scrambling. Takes fresh harpies and turns them into scrambled eggs. I would suspect it to be a phase shift rather than an actual substance. That is to say, what hurts you and erases your world is exactly what was erased before, but it's been changed to something more terrible. Like how wood transforms into fire, which transforms wood into fire. More disordered. More expended. More dead.

But if your world *is* the Outside, then maybe the flames can be quenched, and your world can rise again from the fertile ashes.

Strange that such thoughts would occur to you in frantic circumstances.
>>
No. 509862 ID: ca6df3
File 136826469562.jpg - (59.87KB , 797x597 , BATMAN.jpg )
509862

excuse me for asking something so bluntly, but THAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS THAT?
>>
No. 509863 ID: bf54a8

>>509862
shit fuck an iced cock! fucking look out!
>>
No. 509866 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136826991697.png - (265.72KB , 800x600 , 15.png )
509866

You catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of your eye, but you quickly lose sight of the FLYING FUCK in the thick clouds and snow. You think it must have fallen back, deeper into this storm. Maybe it knows you spotted it?

You have no idea what the fuck the FLYING FUCK is, but it certainly isn't anything from your world. You are now on high fucking alert for winged abominations.

The good news is you’re almost out of the clouds. The bad news is you aren't sure how that’s going to affect your FLYING FUCK situation. The worse news is that you don’t really have much of a choice in the matter anymore. Between waking up in a pit, the snow and clouds reducing visibility to zero, and the wind pushing you around, you need to get out of the clouds to properly get your bearings.

It would be incredibly stupid if you flew Outside because you couldn't see where you were going.
>>
No. 509867 ID: 9e1727

>>509862
Dammit! Big bogey on your six! Take evasive maneuvers!

What other big fliers are there in your world? 'Cause that thing's bigger than and not shaped like a harpy, that's for sure. Plus, harpies are usually completely visible.
>>
No. 509868 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136827003435.png - (1.13MB , 1920x1080 , 16.png )
509868

You breach the clouds.

There it is.

The land of the Lords. The now-vacant home of the Gods.


In benevolence, They created this world, and all of the beings that inhabit it.

In magnanimity, They sustained this world, and kept the Outside at bay.

In abhorrence, They abandoned this world, and left their creation to be consumed.


Any plans to get over there while avoiding the FLYING FUCK?

You were down to the wire on that spot, /quest/. I had a different update drawn and written and ready to post, and I checked the thread to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also, wooo, color. You won't be seeing that very often.
>>
No. 509869 ID: 76b151

I think the best idea would be to aim for the lower door. If the FLYING FUCK chases you you can use your smaller size amidst those pillars.
>>
No. 509870 ID: f2c20c

>>509868
Stay a good distance above the clouds. You'll be able to see it better that way. Fly in through a window and find somewhere to warm up. Maybe get some grub.

Of note is that it was shrouded in Outside. You should be able to spot it just by noticing a moving section of it.
>>
No. 509871 ID: 76b151

Well I can see two ways of saving yourself and your world. Option A is convince the Gods to come back and fix things. Option B would be to become a god and fix the world yourself. Personally I favor Option B... but it might take some doing.
>>
No. 509875 ID: cd236c

>down to the wire
AUGH GAH GEEZE guh

We nearly bit it, guys; nice catch, ca6df3. Not used to having death actually loom so close.

Anyway, if you think you're faster than the FF, make a beeline for the place. Either way, keep an eagle eye out for the thing. Do you think it will be harder/impossible to see in clear air? If so, you might actually need to stay near or in the clouds, actually.
>>
No. 509876 ID: 3fe991

I got a plan for you right here: HURRY THE FUCK UP
>>
No. 509877 ID: d6ef5d

>down to the wire on that spot
Thank goodness for our enhanced eyesight, then!

>any plan?
Hmm. Was the creature itself visible, or just the distortion it left in the snow and clouds?

I kind of think if you watch the cloud bank as you pass, you would see the creature if it passed through the clouds.

I favor just climbing and approaching the target. If flying fuck(s) attack from below, then you can go into a dive towards the target. That's probably the fastest you can move, and they'd be coming from the wrong direction to intercept.

Idle worry: sure be nice if there's food and water in this home of the gods, of the safety won't help for long. And central heating. And maybe some plants to keep the air from going bad after the mass deforestation...
>>
No. 509878 ID: 59c57c

>>509868
I agree with the lower entrance/the pillars for some help. If this place is supposed to keep you safe from the Outside, maybe just getting close will be enough to be safe?

Also, not totally sure with the distance, but i think there are people already there.
>>
No. 509879 ID: 78c6ea

What'd be neat is if you could find some of that magnanimity in there, maybe it's locked up or turned off!

That garden sure is overgrown.

I wonder why that walkway broke.

I'm helping!
>>
No. 509880 ID: 9ddf68

well right now you're in the open so the first thing you should do is get closer to that place so you actually have somewhere to dive into and hide incase that thing comes back.
>>
No. 509893 ID: 2f4b71

Plan A "Sneaky Beakey": Stay just inside the cloud cover, hoping the FLYING FUCK cannot see you well from inside and will launch itself out of the cloud cover, where you can then dive back in and hide form it.

Plan B "Danger Zone": Gain as much altitude as possible, which you can then trade for speed to evade the FLYING FUCK once it breaks through the cloud base.
>>
No. 509896 ID: d6ef5d

>Plan A "Sneaky Beakey"
The flaw I see with staying close to the cloud cover is, as far as we know, the flying fuck is below us, and the clouds are hard to see through. If we stay close to the cloud cover, we're limiting our field of view, staying as close to potential ambush as possible, and cutting our window to react (to seeing it come up through the clouds) as small as possible.
>>
No. 509897 ID: 78c6ea

>>509896

Plus the fact it's following us anyway indicates it can at least somewhat see through the clouds.

"Danger Zone" is go.
>>
No. 509927 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136832392791.png - (303.65KB , 800x600 , 17.png )
509927

Operation Danger Zone is a go. You continue to gain altitude. With the sun, it's actually warmer up here than it was down in the clouds.

You have to admit that between the fluffy clouds and the lack of landmarks, your sense of scale is thrown off a bit.

If your books are correct, the "lower door" is the entrance to the Grand Cathedral, and it is easily over a hundred feet tall. This place is huge, but there are supposedly networks of (man-sized) entrances and passages all over the place. This opens up your options a bit.

So, from here you are fairly certain you can see (and fly to) the following places. And, strictly speaking, all of these places should have 'grand' or 'great' or whatever tacked onto their capitalized names, but as far as you're concerned anyone who cares is dead or gone.

The cathedral is pretty much the highest point that pilgrims and non-servant mortals in general have ever been allowed to enter. There are supposedly places for travelers to rest, but with the Gods being gone for as long as they have, you are unsure if they will be stocked with anything useful. If you're lucky, the servants will have continued their duties in the Gods' absence.

The overgrown bit up at the top is the gardens. It was basically the Gods' personal menagerie, and as such is home to wildlife and flora from all over your world. It supposedly contains entire ecosystems, including lakes and caves and tunnels and whatnot. You'll be able to find food there, but you'll probably have to hunt for anything other than fruit.

In the same vein, there looks to be a smaller garden atop the library, though you doubt that will be home to wildlife.

The library is, well, a library. It's the window-ey place. You would love to go there to read some books, but you don't suspect it'd have much in the way of supplies. You suppose you could try to steal some from the librarians, but they would flay you and use the skin to bind books if you were caught. Your books were very, very clear that you do not fuck with the librarians. Though, for all their strictness, they will apparently let anyone who properly follows their rules rent out books.

Behind the cathedral there looks to be a valley. Your books only mentioned it in passing, but you suppose it might be a good place to hide. You can spot water and greenery from here, so you’d probably be able to find something to eat.

They castle at the pinnacle is heavily guarded, but if you could get inside it would likely be the safest place in the land, and finding food and a place to sleep would be trivial.

Each of the towers was a personal retreat of one of the Gods’. Your books don’t have much information on them, but you guess they are now unoccupied.

The bridge is a bridge. It doesn't really go anywhere. Not much out there.

And lastly, down beneath the clouds, closer to the foot of the mountains, there are supposedly some ancient, abandoned townships. According to your books, they were a pretty decent place to take shelter, but more recent rumors claim that they have been overtaken by monsters of some sort. The whole path up to the cathedral was supposed to be a trial of sorts for the pilgrims, and you guess the old ruins were making it too easy.

But if anyone else managed to escape the Outside, they’d probably be somewhere down there.
>>
No. 509928 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136832396096.png - (173.57KB , 800x600 , 18.png )
509928

You do not suspect that the Gods will ever willingly return.

Their exodus was hasty and unplanned. Magic was meant to be revered, not studied. Strength and knowledge was to be born of faith, not experimentation.

But war breeds innovation. New and exotic ways of killing the enemy more efficiently than ever before. Behind closed doors, in coded journals and secret tongues, far from the prying eyes of laymen and priests, your people found the cracks. The small inconsistencies in the rules of magic that could be exploited.

They never expected your people to find these exploits so readily, and the races of men never expected them to be used. The spells devised were intended to be a last resort. To end the war in the event of catastrophe, and to ensure that such a war would never be fought again.

Millions died that night.

There were no spoils to be claimed. There were no prisoners to be captured. There were no cities to occupy, no laws to change, no reparations to be made. In a moment, the enemy had been annihilated.

The war was won.

The Gods were not angry with the races of men.

They were not disappointed.
>>
No. 509929 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136832410143.png - (80.75KB , 800x600 , 19.png )
509929

They were afraid.

And in Their fear, they ran.

The power of the Gods made this world whole, and in Their haste to forsake Their creations, They left some of that power behind.

Or at least, you hope They did.


As for ascending to Godhood and fixing this yourself, you don’t know. You don’t know if it’s possible, you don’t know if there’s enough power here, and you don’t know if you’d even want to.

You were really hoping that there’d be a way to fix this without bringing gods back into the mix.



You have company.

Do you dive, and where within the lands do you intend to go?

I suppose I'll mention that missing something like the flying fuck won't get you immediately killed, but it won't be pleasant. Also, the thing is in all three images of that update, if you look closely.
>>
No. 509931 ID: 76b151

I vote Library. The smaller Garden on top of it will make a good place to hopefully find food. In fact stop there first to scout it out. and the Library will be the place to find knowledge. If there isn't enough food there we can hunt in the Garden, its not a huge jaunt from one place to another. Thankfully you can fly.

As for eventual place to live any of those personal towers will do. I'd pick one belonging to your god of knowledge or magic. That'd be your best bet for a private study we can use.
>>
No. 509932 ID: 76b151

As for the flying fuck continue to gain alitude... we want to dive into a narrow set of pillars where it can't maneuver as well.
>>
No. 509933 ID: d6ef5d

>Do you dive?
Yeah, a downward and forward dive towards the castle is probably the fastest you can move, and will help keep you away from the flying fuck.

Initially at least, your goal is to get through a doorway or window too small for it to pursue. Or between trees or pillars or something.

Library seems an attractive option. I don't see an immediate door, but there must be an entry somewhere, and if you have to, you can pull up and attempt to lose the monster between the trees in the garden.

Assuming the world doesn't get eaten, you're an academic! You should know how to treat books and libraries with respect, and how to deal peacefully with the librarians. And you should be happy hanging out there. Perhaps they can even direct you towards safer areas of the island for your lodgings (I doubt they want you living in the library) or tell you where there food and supplies comes.

Longer term, you can try and research a fix for the world, check the cathedral and villages for other survivors, perhaps explore the towers of the gods.

> the thing is in all three images
Dang, I can't find it at all in images one and two. Anyone else have better luck?
>>
No. 509936 ID: bf54a8

>>509933
can see it on bottom left of image 2.


anyway, dive if it's catching up, keep ascending if it's keeping pace. think cathedral would be the best place.
>>
No. 509937 ID: 35edd4

If magic has the power to break the world, then it may well have the power to fix it.

Priorities:
1. Survive
2. Fix world using left behind god resources and information
>>
No. 509951 ID: e3aff6

Library, then cathedral if the library is abandoned. Once we are no longer pursued by the FF, we should find somewhere to rest if we need rest then look for survivors, starting at the library then the cathedral. Knowledge is looking like our ultimate objective here but will most likely take long enough to be a long-term goal.
>>
No. 509955 ID: f2c20c

I say head to the castle. The guards can take out the Flying Fuck hopefully, and during the confusion you might be able to sneak in.

Don't dive into the clouds, as it looks like they are being consumed. You would be in trouble there.
>>
No. 509956 ID: 9ddf68

you said the librarians well willingly rent out books to anyone that follows the rules right, aren't one of the rules that most mortals aren't allowed past the cathedral? If so I say head for the Cathedral because if we want to get at some books without having to worry about our skin becoming a book I think we should work our way up. plus we might run into other survives and they might have some helpful suggestions to live through this thing. If you don't think it matters however then yeah head for the library now and you can go down to the cathedral later to see if anybody is there.

As for our friend the flying fuck, just see how far you can get away form him before he closes the gap a little and then dive and try and lose him by swerving through the pillars of this place and failing that I bet you could easily lose it in the main gardens if you have no other choice.
>>
No. 509998 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136835093344.png - (86.54KB , 800x600 , 20.png )
509998

You continue higher. The FLYING FUCK is gaining on you.

The clouds are mostly fine for the moment; the static is the Outside in the distance. You guess it's the horizon now? You're not really sure how that works when there isn't anything to actually form the horizon. You are even less sure how the sun and moon and stars work with all of this going on.

The FLYING FUCK did seem to be consuming some of the clouds immediately around it, though. It is very disconcerting.

The Outside normally works by creating cracks in the world, then pulling pieces Outside. Strictly speaking, nothing Outside ever comes in.

Or at least, that is what your books said and is what you had observed and believed until this fucking FLYING FUCK started chasing you around.

Speaking of which, the pillars aren't going to be an option for losing it, as they look to be quite large and generously spaced. Each gap between the columns looks like it could easily fit two or three FLYING FUCKS across, and you are fairly certain the FLYING FUCK is a more agile flier than you. But that shouldn't be too much a problem. As you get closer, you can start to make out various balconies and windows on the colossal structures.

As it turns out, the rules of the library are not the same as the rules set elsewhere. The whole place is sort of poorly thought out like that.

You mean, the authors of the various books you're referring to entered and explored the place and came back to write about it, so. There is only one proper entrance from the cathedral into the rest of the lands, and there are guards posted there tasked with preventing mortal access. This would work great, but there are obviously other ways into the lands, notably flying, and most of the other subservient creatures within are not under orders to attack or even acknowledge intruders.

The whole thing is very silly.

With that in mind, the library is looking to be a decent destination. You think you remember most of the rules, and the librarians are apparently so helpful as to hand out pamphlets on proper procedure, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Food and a place to sleep might be an issue, but you guess you'll figure that out when you get there.
>>
No. 510003 ID: f2c20c

>>509998
Hrm. It seems we must pick up speed, or outmaneuver it. A creature that large probably can't turn as well as you can, so exploit that if it gets too close.
>>
No. 510007 ID: 76b151

Welp, time to start diving.
>>
No. 510016 ID: cb8882

fly faster
>>
No. 510023 ID: d4ad1a

Diving might be risky. The outside crap that the flying fuck is trailing behind it seems to be billowing out in a wide area, and I don't fancy the idea of flying through it. Do you have any tools on you?
>>
No. 510024 ID: 9ddf68

start diving and making sharp turns to try and throw it off of you, if this thing follows you all the way to the castle thing then try and lose this guy in the gardens because if that thing is as think as it looks form here something that big will not be able to follow you easily.
>>
No. 510025 ID: d6ef5d

>the rules of the library are not the same as the rules set elsewhere
Naturally! I mean, they're librarians. Why would they care about anyone else's rules?

>Food and a place to sleep might be an issue
The library should logically have information about the rest of the place, and that can be used to direct you to food and shelter. And there will likely be interior passages by which you can leave the library to visit sleeping and food gathering places.

The only immediate problem I see is the flying fuck seems to be a creature of the outside. If the wards on this place don't keep it out, the librarians probably aren't going to be happy you've brought a matter disintegrating clump of outside in with you.
>>
No. 510287 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136843984472.png - (121.06KB , 800x600 , 21.png )
510287

You dive.

The FLYING FUCK follows.

It is no longer closing the distance between you, but you aren't going to be losing it any time soon.

You don't think there are any wards or such in place to keep beings of any kind out of the lands. You were working under the assumption that the lands would resist being torn apart and consumed by the outside, and that you'd be relatively safe within.

While it may yet prove to resist the Outside’s normal methods of consumption, the FLYING FUCK appears unhindered.
>>
No. 510288 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136843987927.png - (242.41KB , 800x600 , 22.png )
510288

The library is up ahead.

There are a number of balconies, a few open windows, and one long, arched walkway that you could attempt to land on.

If you slow down much to land, the FLYING FUCK will almost certainly catch you. If you pull out of the dive to fly higher, the FLYING FUCK will almost certainly catch you. If you hang around outside for too long after landing, the FLYING FUCK will almost certainly catch you.

You also note that the flying fuck may very well try to follow you into the library if it can find a way to do so. Or into anywhere, really. It seems pretty intent on catching you.

Do you attempt to make a high-speed landing on the library, and if so, where do you land?

And hopefully this makes the scale of the place a bit more apparent.
>>
No. 510290 ID: d4ad1a

Fly between the trees. You're small enough to fit in those tight gaps, but the fuck is not.
>>
No. 510291 ID: f2c20c

>>510290
A high-speed landing seems like suicide if we enter through one of the open windows or doors. You're likely to break your neck, unless you can see a corridor entrance? That would be optimal, because we could slow down in the corridor and the opening is surely too big for the Flying Fuck.

Lacking that option, let's try to fly into the woods and slow down once we get in there, so we can navigate through the trees. The Flying Fuck can't maneuver through the trees as well as we can, so we'll be able to lose our pursuit that way.

Then we can sneak around, using our powerful eyesight to spot where the Flying Fuck is outside the woods, and maybe sneak out to enter the Library proper (after getting some food).
>>
No. 510299 ID: d6ef5d

>>510287
Oh look, it has teeth now.

I wonder if the flying fuck is the echo of your previous passage through the outside?

>lose it in the trees
Yeah, this seems an okay option. Trying to stick the landing through while pursued at speed seems difficult, and if the fuck follows you into the library, that would be very bad (there's gotta be rules against bringing in monsters or vermin, or fights). If we can lose it in the trees and double back that would be ideal.
>>
No. 510307 ID: 001618

head for the trees and see if you can't loose it there, we can figure out a way back into the Library we ditch that thing.
>>
No. 510317 ID: 01745c

you could just, like, stop. it's bigger, i.e. has more momentum, so it should need more time to slow down. if you can just halt in a second, it'll fly right past you.
>>
No. 510318 ID: 59c57c

>>510288
If you choose a window, choose one that does not have one of the enormous windows immediately adjacent to it.

Also.. from a matter of scale, its starting to look like those trees are HUGE, with HUGE spaces between them. The flying fuck may actually have room to chase her still. Plus who knows what's living in there now.
>>
No. 510326 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136846386228.png - (118.95KB , 800x600 , hastybreakfastupdate.png )
510326

As you careen towards the library, a few thoughts come to mind.

Firstly, those trees are rather large. The FLYING FUCK may not have a problem following you though them, and even if it can't there's nothing to stop it from just circling until you try to leave. You remember that, even for it's lack of apparent eyes, it still managed to spot and follow you through the storm before you even saw it.

Secondly, you are a pretty bad flier, comparatively. You mean, you had a lot of practice over the last few weeks, but that's mostly been endurance and distance flight. You are fairly certain it can outmaneuver you, even in tight spaces.

Thirdly, you're a pretty bad flier. Really. You're probably more likely to hurt yourself in a high-speed slalom through tress than just picking a window at random and maybe hitting a wall inside.
>>
No. 510327 ID: 76b151

Into a window then. Try to pick one with leading into a corridor so you slow down after entering.
>>
No. 510329 ID: d6ef5d

Always good to have a protagonist with enough agency to point out her own weaknesses.

...in through an open door or window, then. Aim for one that looks like it has depth- a longish corridor for you to come crashing down (if you run right into a corner, or worse, enter perpendicular to a hallway, you probably won't have room or time to stop before crashing).

Which probably means not that row of openings in the middle- they're (a) probably along a hall and (b) possibly big enough for the fuck to follow. Shoot for one of the smaller, isolated openings.

Now, assuming the fuck can't pass or eat right through walls (it is an outside thing, right?) once you're inside, your priority is to get down a passage too small for it to follow, or put some doors between you and it.

...and if you see any librarians, tell them about the dangerous vermin behind you that could hurt their books.

Hmm. Interesting trade off. Flying ended up getting us a monster. If we'd chose another race, or gone via tunnel, the problem would have been a slower rate of travel and the outside catching up. And with rock in the way, we wouldn't have know till it was almost on top of us.
>>
No. 510332 ID: 001618

try a window then an hope to god that you don't crash right into a wall and then pray that the fuck doesn't follow you inside.
>>
No. 510337 ID: 01745c

>>510329

or maybe we would get non-flying monsters mirroring our chosen race.
>>
No. 510339 ID: bf54a8

open door or something. get inside.
>>
No. 510341 ID: f2c20c

>>510326
Shitsticks.

Get your ass through an open window. Try to spot one with a large room or corridor on the other side, or something soft to slam into.
>>
No. 510344 ID: 78c6ea

>> then pulling pieces Outside

I think you're being chased by whatever is pulling pieces Outside. You being the piece in this case.

Head for the main gate! The actual guards have got to be a bigger threat to this thing than to you, and you can sneak inside whilst they are all quite occupied.
>>
No. 510347 ID: 59c57c
File 136847276580.png - (151.00KB , 800x298 , GO HERE.png )
510347

This seems to be the best choice. It gives the flying fuck the option to bank upwards to avoid a facefull of wall. If this thing is even slightly intelligent it won't trade a guaranteed injury for a mouthfull of food.

And if its somehow capable of boring through the walls without injury, we probably can't save her in the first place. :(
>>
No. 510352 ID: bf54a8

>>510347
yes i agree
>>
No. 510389 ID: dc4a44

Tuck and roll
>>
No. 510454 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136849827431.png - (103.32KB , 800x600 , lazydicerollupdate.png )
510454

rolled 1 = 1

Rollan for landing success. Not 100% if I’m doing the dice thing right, but meh. 1d10, higher is better. Critical success and failures are in play.

You aim for the highest window.

You hope for the best, but you prepare for the worst.
>>
No. 510457 ID: 5a5dd4

Welp. At least it's going to be fun to draw.

Prepare for disaster control, gentlemen.
>>
No. 510459 ID: bf54a8

rolled 7 = 7

can't hurt :V
>>
No. 510460 ID: 9ddf68

... OH GOD DAMN IT.

this is going to hurt, so how many broken bones we looking at here, no no wait let me guess the fly fuck takes a bite out of us then we go splat against a wall before falling off the side of the building and followed by us hitting the side of the mountain. That sound about right?
>>
No. 510461 ID: 76b151

>>510454
Right if I'm guessing right we just missed the window completely and slammed into the wall. Depending how fast we recover we might want to head to the open window to the right thats in between the two balconies instead. Keep as close to the wall as you can as this thing will have to circle around in order to fly after you. Bigger wingspan and all that.
>>
No. 510462 ID: bf54a8

this is actually one of the reasons we don't really like using dice, one bad roll regardless of how well planned out our action is and WELP QUEST OVER GO HOME
>>
No. 510463 ID: d6ef5d

>critical failure
Dangit, dice quests.

Well. We're going to be injured, the monster is gonna get inside with us, and we're going to crash right into something that will make the librarians hate us. Great.
>>
No. 510464 ID: bf54a8

yeah, just seeing the dice suddenly everyone's mood has gone south and are assuming we are going to die or get horrible maimed
>>
No. 510469 ID: bf54a8

finally it also warps how people play, usually to become far more reckless because suddenly it doesn't matter how well planned or crazy the action is, dice will decide. so they can command her to go after a dragon with a spoon because they don't really care about plans anymore just what the whims of the dice have to say
>>
No. 510483 ID: 5a5dd4

Author here.

Chill out, guys.

I basically had a bunch of ideas on how entering the library could play out, so instead of arbitrarily deciding, I ranked them from best to worst and rolled some dice. I guess next time I'll just use analogue dice and avoid the shitstorm. And then be accused of railroading or something.

Anyways, short animation inbound, if you guys can keep the bitching down until it's done.

>>
No. 510494 ID: d6ef5d

>>510483
Eh, don't let it get to you. Pretty much the only way to respond to a dice update is to cheer or moan and make hyperbolic predictions while we wait to see the results. Granted, the moaning was a little loud this time...
>>
No. 510503 ID: 9ddf68

>>510483
Truth be told I kinda like dice quest just because you don't really know how they are going to turn out. I mean in normal quest it's pretty much a sure thing you're going to succeed unless everyone is saying to do the stupidest shit possible and with dice quest that little safety net is gone. As for the bitching, I always just do it to kind of make light of the inevitable fuck up we about to go through but never really mean anything by it and some times the critical fails can be funny even if they screw you over
>>
No. 510554 ID: 5a5dd4
File 23.swf - (276.99KB , 800x600 )
510554

You enter the library.
>>
No. 510555 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136851710769.png - (123.53KB , 800x600 , 24.png )
510555

Oh fuck oh fuck it has your leg oh fuck oh fuck

what do you do what do you do what do you fucking do

>>
No. 510556 ID: bf54a8

be ready to pull at a moments notice, it has to open its mouth bite again. when it does you will have a second to yank it out. the fact that you aren't melting means it is less... OUTSIDE then the real outside. if you can understand that. or maybe living things can only die from OUTSIDE if they are engulfed? point is you can still make it out of this.
>>
No. 510557 ID: f2c20c

>>510555
Kick its face! Also see if you can reach those shelves to pull them towards you and onto the fucker's face. Give it a face full of wood.
>>
No. 510558 ID: 9ddf68

try and knock the shelf on the fuck's head, maybe try kicking it with your other leg. Kick where you think the eyes would be
>>
No. 510560 ID: 9e1727

Apply your foot talons to the FLYING FUCK. Repeat until you retrieve your other foot. Kick hard and ram them in deep. Rake them across its skin. Make it bleed, if it can bleed.

Also try pushing yourself free from the FLYING FUCK by pushing your free foot as hard as you can against it and pushing. Actually, ram your talons in and push. Make it hurt for this.

Heh. If you get free, then it's quite possible the FLYING FUCK saved you from crashing headlong into the wall and breaking your neck. How's that for irony?
>>
No. 510561 ID: 35edd4

It was literally one person bitching about the dice roll. For some reason he thought tripleposting would help. Most of us think dice are just fine.

It should be pretty fucked up already thanks to colliding with the wall. It's probably heavier than you, so it'll have taken more damage in the crash, too. Kick at it with your other leg and call for help.
>>
No. 510579 ID: da8550

legs are overrated.

kick and bite and punch... okay you can't punch. but still, squirm like you're about to lose a leg if you don't.

I really dig the flash animation, by the way.
>>
No. 510583 ID: d6ef5d

Start kicking and trying to pull your leg out, and start yelling for help. If you're lucky, there's a librarian or something nearby who will investigate the noise and you can enlist their help against the dangerous 'vermin'.

If you can manage to knock it over, that bookshelf looks tall enough to come crashing down on the fuck's head.

Here's hoping we don't lose that leg, by the way. Would suck to lose the ability to walk, and it's kind of hard to use your feet as hands if you only have one of them.
>>
No. 510600 ID: 59c57c

>>510555
Yell at it to let you go?
Maybe it doesn't know you're people and will let you go in the most awkward moment of your life.
>>
No. 510754 ID: 2f4b71

Don;t flail about and kick at it, you'll only injure your leg further. Place your other leg against it's lower jaw, and gently apply pressure. Eventually it's going to have to open it's jaw, and that force will pull your other leg out.
>>
No. 511170 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136869498382.gif - (214.65KB , 800x600 , 25.gif )
511170

You kick and scream and try to crawl away.

It is not very effective.

You can't reach the shelf.

It's not trying to bite your leg off. You're sure it could easily, if it wanted too. It's making sure you can't run away.

The beast shifts. Pain jolts through your leg.
>>
No. 511171 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136869500822.png - (202.76KB , 800x600 , 26.png )
511171

It is climbing inside.
>>
No. 511178 ID: bf54a8

are you close enough now? grab shelf and pull it on top of the thing.
>>
No. 511183 ID: f2c20c

>>511171
Well what's that debris by the door? Anything sharp you could stab it with?

Mostly we just want it to let go, and slamming the shelf on it might be good AFTER we're not in the way of the shelf too.
>>
No. 511186 ID: eaf2f5

Grab the carpet and try to throw it over that things head.
>>
No. 511188 ID: d6ef5d

Dang, we don't have a lot of options here.

It pushed you closer. Can you zip out your prehensile tongue and yank on the bottom of the bookshelf? Yes, it would fall towards you, but it'll clonk the monster on the head, hopefully jarring it hard enough that you'll be able to pull your foot out and roll to the side before being crushed.

Not so sure if you can reach the debris- it's farther away, and I don't think your leg even bends that way.

...I don't suppose it'll let you go if you tell it to? I mean, I really doubt that will work, but there's nothing really lost by yelling at it.

Lazy no good libraries not coming to investigate the loud crash in the library.
>>
No. 511189 ID: 76b151

You could always try prying its mouth open. Otherwise I think we're stuck with trying to tip the bookshelf over. We're kinda stuck unless you have any spells we can throw at it.
>>
No. 511191 ID: b1ab8a

cry for help while you do all that.
>>
No. 511199 ID: 78b9e3

shout for help and if that fails rip and tear.
if that fails as well you should die like a proper harpy, screaming and cursing.
>>
No. 511201 ID: 9ddf68

grab at the shelf, broken remains of the vase, hell try to throw the rug over the things head if you have to, just find some way of trying to get it to let go.
>>
No. 511210 ID: d11077

Prepare to be a snack for a flying giant monster.

Or, you know, you could at least try to reason with it and beg for your life
>>
No. 511242 ID: 9e1727

Stop kicking the creature; It's obviously not harming it or helping you in any way. Instead put it down on the floor and push yourself up with it and your wings. Reposition so your leg isn't being bent as much in the wrong ways, and crawl along in the direction the creature is going. That way you won't suffer even more injury to your leg than you already have.

Keep shouting for help, and at the creature to let you go, along with liberal profanity and curses. Maybe somebody out there will hear your plight or by some miracle the creature will let you go if you tell it to.

Unfortunately knocking that bookshelf down on the creature probably wouldn't hit it hard enough that it'll let you go; Most likely it'd be the opposite, where it bites down harder. And it's not an option anyway, since even if you do get close enough you don't have the hands to grab on high enough up to pull it back, as well as not being tall enough to reach that high even if you did have hands.

Pretty much what you can do here is keep yourself as far forward of the creature as you can, keeping your bit leg outstretched and pulling slightly on it, waiting for the creature to open its jaw again to pull it out. If it is going to eat you, it's going to have to open its jaw before lunging forward to bite down again. So what you do in that case is push forward enough that your leg gets free when it does open its jaw, roll to your right, towards the door, then scramble across the floor on all fours to get through that door ASAP. Mind the broken glass, but don't even slow down if you do cut yourself on it, and be ready to roll to the side if the creature tries to bite you again.

How does the feeling of this creature biting your leg compare to that time you flew through the Outside. Is it a similar feeling on your leg to then?
>>
No. 511305 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136878054981.png - (199.02KB , 800x600 , 27.png )
511305

You continue to scream out a variety of profanity mixed with pleas for help and/or mercy.

The beast either cannot understand or is ignoring your cries.

It continues to climb inside.

You don't think the shards of porcelain would work very well as a weapon, and you don't really have any way to grab them at the moment.

You can just barely reach the bookshelf.
>>
No. 511306 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136878057910.png - (119.58KB , 800x600 , 28.png )
511306

Despite your panicked efforts, the bookshelf seems far too heavy for you to topple by yourself.
>>
No. 511307 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136878062006.png - (197.39KB , 800x600 , 29.png )
511307

Fortunately, the beast decides that you've crawled far enough and heaves to pull you towards it. You feel like every joint and tendon in your body is going to give out, but you manage to hold onto the shelves.

They tip dangerously.
>>
No. 511308 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136878063946.png - (116.80KB , 800x600 , 30.png )
511308

BONK
>>
No. 511310 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136878069845.png - (122.87KB , 800x600 , 31.png )
511310

You aren't dead.

Your leg is free and you can still feel your foot, which would probably be a good thing if it didn't hurt like fuck. The same could be said for the rest of you, though to a somewhat lesser extent.

You are also still hungry.

The beast seems to be stunned, or perhaps even unconscious.

The bookshelf is angled up on the beast enough that you aren't really pinned by it, but you don't exactly have a ton of room to work with.
>>
No. 511313 ID: 246d7b

here's an idea: get the fuck out of there.
>>
No. 511314 ID: f2c20c

>>511310
Just sortof crawl out. We gotta get away from that thing.

Don't forget your hat. Also... there's something on the desk by the beast- if it's a weapon we could try using it. If it's just some paper or something ignore that shit and get out of this room immediately.
>>
No. 511317 ID: ca6df3

>>511310
that little bit of timber isn't going to hold FF for long. get the fuck out and find the librarians to report a disturbance in the library, let them handle it.
>>
No. 511319 ID: bf54a8

is your leg okay?
>>
No. 511322 ID: 710329

Get the fuck out. And btw, that thing in the wall is a door.
>>
No. 511326 ID: d6ef5d

Hay, what happened to the fuck's wings? Even if it folded them back, with this much of it inside the room, you think we'd see them. Can it shapeshift?

>what do
Crawl out from under there, try not to put any weight on your injured leg. Grab your hat, get through that door, and slam and lock it behind you.

Once on the other side, if there's any easy way to barricade the door, or leave a warning that there's a monster in the room and it should not be opened, do so.

Hmm. Distressing that the outside thing could come right in like that. You're really hoping that doesn't mean the Outside is going to keep coming. ...although the possibility that as long as you're here monsters from the outside might crawl out looking for you is bad enough.
>>
No. 511331 ID: 9ddf68

try and keep off your bad leg as much as possable and crawl out of there. Grab your hat as you crawl out if you can and make sure to sweep away the what's left of the glass vase so you don't cut yourself on it. Then go though the door and and maybe fly if the hallway is big enough far away from that room, maybe tell someone about it is you see anyone on your way out.
>>
No. 511336 ID: e3aff6

Remember to pick up your stylish hat.
>>
No. 511658 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136895937812.png - (129.58KB , 800x600 , 32.png )
511658

You grab your hat and crawl out from under the shelf.

The FLYING FUCK doesn't appear to be moving. It also does not appear to have wings anymore, and its Outside-y aura thing is gone.

The items on the desk are, in fact, useless papers.

The door is locked from this side. You unlock it and exit the room.
>>
No. 511659 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136895944747.png - (83.69KB , 800x600 , 33.png )
511659

You're in a hall. There are many doors, but you suspect most will be locked much like room you just left.

The halls look to be a bit of a maze, but you can try to navigate to one of the following places:

Down into the library proper, where you will likely find librarians.
Up to the roof, where the smaller garden is located.
Over to the main spire, out of the library.

Or you could explore the floor you're on and hope you find something helpful, or even just find a window and glide down to somewhere else in the lands.



Your entire body hurts, and your foot especially so. You are hungry and thirsty. You feel lightheaded and a little nauseous. You are tired.

You are in fairly dire need of first aid, food, and a place to sleep pass out. Things will only get worse the longer it takes you to find these things.
>>
No. 511660 ID: 76b151

I wish we could kill that thing before we left. As long as its alive its a threat. However we lack even the most basic of weapons.

Alright lets start heading upstairs towards the garden. Open the doors that are unlocked to glace around as you go. It'll slow things down but hopefully we'll find something to bandage up, water or feed you with.

Sleep will have to wait until those needs are taken care of.
>>
No. 511661 ID: eaf2f5

Go down into the library proper and find these librarians and get some help from them.
Or maybe we will bump into someone else entirely, we can't bee the only one who though about escaping here.
>>
No. 511662 ID: f2c20c

Take a left. There were other windows, and right now we want to lose pursuit. You're leaving a trail of blood so the best choice is to fly out and down to a different window.

I say go down and land on the balcony that had the open door. Easy landing, and you can close the door after you. But I want to see what's in the next room first.
>>
No. 511669 ID: 7ee51d

go to the closest place where you think there will be people. you need medical aid.
>>
No. 511674 ID: d6ef5d

If this is the kind of door where you can do so, flip the switch on the knob back to locked before you shut it, so it can't be opened from this side.

If you know some kind of rune or symbol for 'danger' or 'do not enter' scratch it on the door. ...or write it in blood, you seem to be dripping enough of that.

>what do?
On the one hand, the closest place with people and possible help seems appealing. Plus, if you go to the librarians, you can tell/warn them about the monster unconscious upstairs instead of leaving it there for someone to stumble over later.

But... these aren't regular people. They're Librarians. Think back to the accounts you've read of visits to this place. Is bleeding on their nice clean floor, or risking exposure of the books to bodily fluids the kind of thing they skin people for? Or, even if they're not hostile, will they even care if you're hurt? Have they ever cared for mortal concerns like "I'm hungry", "I'm thirsty", "I'm tired", or "I'm bleeding" before? Maybe they'll just shoo you outside where you won't bleed on anything important while they get to restoring order.

If there's anything you've read that would make you think the librarians wouldn't help (or might be hostile) in this situation, we'd have to go somewhere else (the garden will have water, at least. Probably fruit, plant life to bind your wounds with. Probably a relatively safe place to crash, too.). If you have no such doubts, limp down to see them. Remember to tell them about the monster before you pass out.
>>
No. 511685 ID: 2f4b71

Tear a strip from your tabard to bind your foot.
>>
No. 511686 ID: 9ddf68

well if we need help I say try and find an open window or something and glide back down to the cathedral as that is were help most likely will be, maybe even food, water, and medical supplies if the ruins below this whole building are as dangerous as you say they are. and at the very least it will have a place for you to sleep.
>>
No. 511728 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136901865113.png - (112.93KB , 800x600 , 34.png )
511728

You could lock the door behind you, but anyone trying to get into the room would likely have the key anyways, and the door probably wouldn't stop the FLYING FUCK if it tried to follow you. The door is just a normal wooden door, and the beast didn't seem to have too much trouble breaking through the wall to get inside.

The nearest door is locked.


You make your way around the corner, and sure enough, the windows you saw from outside are here.

You aren't able to rip your shirt with just one foot and your tongue. Your clothes aren't exactly of the highest craftsmership, but they're still durable enough that you'd need a knife or something sharp to cut or tear them.

You don't think you'll be able to fly so much as fall or glide with a bit of control, as you think you might have pulled something in your shoulder when you pulled the shelf over. Regardless, even with the luxury of not being chased, the landing will probably be the biggest problem, seeing as you only have one good foot. You also aren't sure how long it will be before you'll be in good enough shape to fly back up from wherever you land.

Depending on what you consider to be a 'person', the librarians would likely be the closest. That said, you aren't sure how helpful they'll be. Sure, they'll go to whatever lengths to make sure you know and understand their rules, and at the very least they should be able to tell you where supplies are located, but if they'll do anything beyond that and if they'll be happy about you bleeding on their floors is another matter entirely.

The books you've read about this place weren't exactly common literature. If any other survivors have made it here, they'll likely only know that the areas above the cathedral are supposed to be off limits, so they'd probably be somewhere down below that, where mortal visitors are supposed to be.

You are not certain how easily you'll be able to find medical supplies up in the garden.

I count two votes library(by two different means of travel), one vote gardens, one vote for gardens or library dependent on what is known about the librarians, and one for flying to the cathedral. And a couple of 'go for whatever you think is best'.

This is a fairly major choice, so I'm not just going randomly pick or roll for a decision. I want at least two people to agree on a course of action. So like, same destination, same method of travel, and whether or not you take time to explore along the way.

>>
No. 511729 ID: eaa372

Try to find some stairs that will lead into the library, no need to aggravate our injuries with more crashing. The librarians just might know what to do about the Flying Fuck too. The gardens seem a little too open air for hiding from the Flying Fuck with no visible senses.
>>
No. 511730 ID: d207aa

i say head for the librarians to tattle tale on the FLYING FUCK.tell them it broke the rules and your foot.
>>
No. 511732 ID: e3aff6

Ok, librarians sounds like a good idea.
>>
No. 511733 ID: f2c20c

>>511728
If the landing is going to be that difficult, and you can't really reduce speed by flapping, we'd have to make a crash landing. That's only an option if we have water or something similar to fall into, so let's not glide out unless we have to. Visit the librarians first, assuming we can get there in the next 15 minutes or so. Just walk there- I'm assuming this place we're in is actually part of the library?
>>
No. 511734 ID: d6ef5d

>major choice
>no consensus
Well, yeah. That's what happens when there are serious consequences and we're deciding something in mostly ignorance.

>what do
Uh. So collapsing in the garden is kind of a risk. As is falling and crashing down lower and hoping you don't hurt yourself worse and someone is even there to help you.

Let's chance the librarians. At least you know they're there, and they can probably direct you to supplies, which are probably nearby, even if they might not care to help.

You might be able to curry some favor if you play it as if you came to them because you wanted to report the fuck upstairs- you're trying to protect the library before it can do any (more) damage (and well, because part of me feels it's very irresponsible to just leave a monster laying about that we lead here). You might also be able to get them to act more than they usually might because of why you're here. Part of the librarians' mission is to preserve the library right? They can't do that if the outside closes in, or sends monsters to harass them. You're here to try and find a way to stop the outside. If they help you, they're helping themselves.

...and if everything goes horribly wrong you can always fall back on plan jump out a window and hope you don't crash and die and do better bellow.
>>
No. 511735 ID: f2c20c

...say, can you just wrap your hat around your injury, using its straps to bind it? Do that right after leaving a trail of blood to the window and we can make the FLYING FUCK think we flew out, if it comes after us.
>>
No. 511747 ID: 256f3d

It looks like the best course of action now would be to head down and ask the librarians for aid. As long as you don't bleed on their precious books they'll at least tell you where to get what you're looking for, if not provide it themselves. Plus, they should be warned about the FLYING FUCK before it causes even more damage.

Lean against the wall to support yourself as you hop-hobble along. Check any doors you can easily reach along the way, but don't go out of your way to check them unless it's obviously something good. Just keep moving to the area between the huge windows, since that's where it's most likely there'll be a staircase down.

When you were coming in for your landing, did you get a good look through those huge windows? If you did, did it look like there were multiple levels sharing the same huge window, or was it one big open area behind them? Because if it was the latter, once you get down enough levels you should start looking for doors that would open out into that big open area. If you can find a balcony or catwalk over the Library stacks, then you could shout down to the librarians for directions on how to get down there, or even glide-fall down if you're desperate enough.

>>511734
Yes, it would be good to warn the librarians about the FLYING FUCK, but DO NOT let on that you led it here. There's a good chance the librarians would be quite angry at you for leading it into their library when you could have led it to someplace that wouldn't threaten their books that had people who could deal with that thing. Best to lie and say that you were focusing on landing on the roof when this creature came out of nowhere and bit your foot, sending you off course to crash through the open window. That way the librarians won't blame you nearly as much for the FLYING FUCK being in their Library.

>>511735
Yeah, this sounds alright, but only if your hat could be bound around your wound well enough to staunch the bleeding. Otherwise just slip it back on your head.
>>
No. 512134 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136929861827.png - (294.71KB , 800x600 , 35.png )
512134

You tie your hat around your leg.

It's not exactly the greatest bandage, but it should keep your blood off the floor.
>>
No. 512135 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136929865094.png - (290.88KB , 800x600 , 36.png )
512135

As you hobble down to the library, you mentally review what you remember of the library rules.

Be quiet. You're allowed to talk to the librarians to ask questions, but anything above a quiet whisper is not advised. It also isn’t recommended to talk to anything that isn’t a librarian.

Don’t bother the librarians. A question or two is fine, but don't push it.

No running, flying, or swimming in the library. You're not sure how 'no swimming' managed to become a rule.

Put books back exactly where you got them from, or on a book return cart thing. If you aren't sure, do not put it back on a shelf. Disorganization is serious business.

Do not damage the books. No folding pages, no licking pages, no licking fingers then flipping pages, no leaving books open face down, don't drop them, blah blah blah. You’ve read books for most of your life, you know how to take care of them.

Do not remove books from the library without properly borrowing them.

Uh.

No eating or drinking in the library.
No vomiting in the library.
No fighting in the library, even if fighting quietly.
No pets in the library.
No mounts, familiars, or other non-pet animals in the library.
No magic in the library.
No dancing in the library.
No fires in the library.
No revolutions in the library.
No sleeping in the library.
No mining in the library.
No spitting in the library.
No whistling, no jousting, no football (traditional or harpy rules), no assassinations, and absolutely no taxidermy in the library.

Generally just don't make a mess in the library. Or break anything.

There are a lot of rules in the library, but common sense covers most of them. Punishments for transgressions can be severe, but for the most part they'll just throw you out of the library unless you cause serious trouble.

All of the rooms you've come across are either locked or empty.
>>
No. 512137 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136929869773.png - (200.60KB , 800x600 , 37.png )
512137

A half hour of hobbling and four floors later, you've arrived at the top floor of the library proper. The library is silent save for the gentle turning of pages and the soft rasp books being placed on shelves echoing in the distance.

You quickly locate a librarian. It works quietly.

How do you approach it, and what do you say to it?
>>
No. 512138 ID: 4ef89b

'Where can I be healed, and who should I ask for?'
>>
No. 512139 ID: 76b151

Tell it that you wish directions to food and supplies if it isn't too much trouble.

Also tell it you saw a non-pet animal upstairs. It was trying to enter the library and had gotten stuck. It seemed wild and had already knocked over a shelf.
>>
No. 512140 ID: bf54a8

start with an "excuse me" and wait for it to acknowledge you.
then
>>512139
what he said
>>
No. 512141 ID: 78c6ea

No eating, no drinking, no sleeping. This was a bad idea. If these librarians are too formal about their rules you won't be able to get any of your immediate needs met. Unless you can eat books. That isn't against the rules (yet).
>>
No. 512143 ID: 76b151

>>512141
none of that in the library no, but the librarians problaby know where the guest quarters or the kitchens are.

If they don't we can ask for a map of the place.
>>
No. 512151 ID: 19b3c3

>>512139
>>512140
This is totally the approach to take. Logically, if the librarians don't want you eating or sleeping in the library, they should be able to direct you to areas where it is acceptable. ...or at least be able to direct you to a map.

And reporting the fuck (although you should probably avoid using obscenity when talking with a librarian) as an animal that got in is great.

>>512141
Unless she can eat books without damaging them, or removing them from the library, it's against the rules.
>>
No. 512157 ID: f2c20c

>>512137
Speak in a quiet whisper.

Ask where you can go to get first aid supplies and food. That location is probably a safe place to sleep too, so don't ask about that.

Do mention the flying fuck.

That's it. One question, and one statement.
>>
No. 512160 ID: 9ddf68

well keep it simple as one of the rules were not to bother the librarian with to many questions. Oh and if you do tell it about the FF do you think it would be a good or bad idea to tell them it's from the outside.?
>>
No. 512283 ID: d1d988

try "excuse me sir I am bleeding because some huge flying thing bit my leg also it crashed through the wall into the building what do I do"
>>
No. 512428 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136947644821.png - (188.07KB , 800x600 , 38.png )
512428

You take a step forward and quietly apologize in advance for bothering the librarian.

The librarian looks up from its work.

It says nothing.

You ask it where you might find food, water, and a proper place to sleep.
>>
No. 512429 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136947648075.png - (203.57KB , 800x600 , 39.png )
512429

It stares at you wordlessly.

A moment passes and it shows no intention of answering your question.

You inform it that an animal has broken in through a window, knocked over some shelves, and has generally made a mess upstairs.
>>
No. 512431 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136947650407.png - (292.89KB , 800x600 , 40.png )
512431

It continues to stare silently for a moment, but then it nods, places the books back onto its cart, and begins to walk away, gesturing for you to follow.

You obviously aren’t very familiar with the layout of the library, but the librarian does not appear to be heading towards the FLYING FUCK.
>>
No. 512432 ID: bf54a8

well it doesn't seem to be angry or anything. so i think following is safe.
>>
No. 512433 ID: 59fc47

he's not heading towards the giant carnivorous thing made out of magic that breaks walls and flies faster than the wind? good. that means he isn't batshit insane.
>>
No. 512435 ID: f2c20c

>>512431
Creepy. Uh.

Well, it's probably answering your first question by leading you somewhere safe. So. Follow it and stay silent, but uh, keep an eye out.
>>
No. 512436 ID: 78c6ea

Poor guy has a serious eye condition. Do they all have staples like that? Doesn't look particularly pleasant. Is it cosmetic, or is it supposed to make him eternally vigilant or something?
>>
No. 512447 ID: 19b3c3

Huh. Hexagonal pupils and its eyes are stitched open. So it can't miss anything? Creepy.

You might as well follow. Hopefully its leading you somewhere useful, and if it were going to hurt or punish you, it probably would have done so already. Besides, it's not as if you know where to go without it, or that you're in any shape to escape anything.

Keep an eye out for a map or something posted on the walls as you go, though.
>>
No. 512482 ID: 9ddf68

I'd say follow but keep enough distance between you and the librarian so that if he does try something you will have a little bit more time to act but don't say so far behind that you risk loosing him every time he goes around a corner.
>>
No. 512490 ID: 599723

Follow but be Polite and mind his Personal Space Bubble.
>>
No. 512497 ID: 59c57c

>>512431
The stitched/bandaged look, unusual limb count, and delicate features might mean the librarian was custom tailored to do exactly what he's doing, which means he's probably about to dump your problem in someone else's lap.

Possibly guards given the fact that you're a tresspasser and you mentioned a dangerous creature. You don't look like you're in any shape to run, fly, or fight, so sharpen those wits and hope they listen.

Or maybe he's going to lead you to the library's front door and toss you out for talking.
>>
No. 512499 ID: 19b3c3

Actually, wait, the fact that the librarian appears to be bandaged might be a good thing. That means that they have bandages. You could use some bandages.
>>
No. 512617 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136955804185.png - (92.51KB , 800x600 , 41.png )
512617

You follow the librarian at a polite distance. It leads you out of the main library and back into the maze of hallways.

You had read that all of the librarians wore masks, but you had not expected this. It looks like a leather mask has been stitched and stapled over the librarian's face, covering all of its features except for one eye. The flesh around the exposed eye looks ... wrong, somehow.

You think you saw it blink once, but you may have just imagined it.
>>
No. 512618 ID: 5a5dd4
File 136955809608.png - (172.77KB , 800x600 , 42.png )
512618

You follow the librarian for quite some time.

It stops abruptly in the middle of the hall and turns to look at you. You aren’t sure, but it almost looks confused.

A long silence follows.

Eventually, it nods and begins to lead you in a different direction.
>>
No. 512619 ID: 1b4d70

keep on following. ask it where it's taking you. don't be surprised if there is no answer.
>>
No. 512620 ID: bf54a8

stay silent. it seems to know what it is doing.
>>
No. 512621 ID: 76b151

Keep the location it stopped at in your mind. You asked for three things and I doubt they all were at the same place after all.
>>
No. 512623 ID: 35edd4

>>512621
Good thought. And don't say anything more.
>>
No. 512625 ID: 9ddf68

or it could be lost, this place is pretty big after all. Still you got nothing better to do then follow it so unless you leg is becoming unbearable keep on keeping on I guess
>>
No. 512633 ID: 19b3c3

Oh. The librarian doesn't know what it's doing? That's not good.

First concern- how are you holding up? How much longer can you afford to indulge this thing?

>middle of the hall
You reached the center? Could you see the path to the main exit/entrance (the one that uses doors), or a map or directory posted on the wall? Libraries tend to have those.

>librarian, wrong
...could it be this wasn't always a librarian? Maybe, this was someone who broke the rules, and this was their punishment?
>>
No. 512950 ID: 599723

Maybe it was confused because what it was looking for wasn't there anymore? The FUCK is an Outside thing, it could be eating pieces of existence.

Or maybe librarians have like, a hivemind and one of his bros was all "don't bring anything messy to this section, I'm cleaning over here" or something.
>>
No. 512959 ID: 5869f6

Still, Something seems WRONG about the librarian. What with the staring an' shit. But until we have proof of malevolence, Best to follow and stay cautious.
>>
No. 512975 ID: bf54a8

for all we know feeling incredibly offputting is completely normal for the things.
>>
No. 512980 ID: 59c57c

>>512618
Maybe the librarian hasn't had to leave the library since before the Gods departed. It may have no idea what has happened outside of that one, massive library in all this time.

It could be trying to lead you to people that simply aren't there anymore. :(
>>
No. 512982 ID: f2c20c

>>512980
Oh jeez. Maybe it stared so much because it hasn't seen a person in centuries. I mean, from what we've heard, mortals don't usually go up here, right?

Ask if it can speak.
>>
No. 513792 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137007838046.png - (115.73KB , 800x600 , 43.png )
513792

You remain silent and continue to follow the librarian.

You have a number of ideas about why the librarian changed directions and why it's creepy and stare-ey in general, but you are far too tired to properly sort anything out.
>>
No. 513793 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137007842012.png - (195.51KB , 800x600 , 44.png )
513793

You eventually arrive at a small room that looks like it might be an office of some sort.

The librarian gestures at the couch. You gladly accept the seat. You don't think you'd have been able to walk much farther.
>>
No. 513794 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137007844859.png - (184.83KB , 800x600 , 45.png )
513794

The librarian makes for the door. Just before it exits, it stops. After a moment, it nods and heads back for the cupboard.
>>
No. 513795 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137007847770.png - (212.54KB , 800x600 , 46.png )
513795

Another librarian enters the room, holding a lidded tray.

The librarians do not appear to acknowledge each other.
>>
No. 513796 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137007850607.png - (59.39KB , 800x600 , 47.png )
513796

The second librarian places the tray on the desk and leaves.

A moment later, the first librarian returns with bandages in its hands.

Before you can so much as think of protesting, it removes your hat-bandage and the shredded pant-scraps in your wound and begins to properly bandage your leg. Its grip is significantly stronger than its spindly limbs would suggest, and while it applies the bandages skillfully, it is not gentle.

It works quickly. Having treated your leg, it places the bandages back into the cupboard and leaves the room.
>>
No. 513797 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137007853602.png - (182.62KB , 800x600 , 48.png )
513797

You aren't sure what to make of this.
>>
No. 513798 ID: f2c20c

>>513797
I get it. They're getting instructions from some central person/location. When that first one stopped in the hallway it must've gotten incorrect orders or something. I bet their masks are what link them to central command.

I suspect that letter is from their central command. Read it, while eating.
>>
No. 513799 ID: bf54a8

read letter, then open tray.
>>
No. 513802 ID: 937dbc

catch your breath for a few minutes. if nobody comes for the letter, open it yourself.
>>
No. 513810 ID: 9ddf68

wait a minute or two then open the tray and read the letter.
>>
No. 513815 ID: 19b3c3

Huh. You've been brought to an office and treated. Interesting- you didn't mention anything you read saying they'd offered medical attention to injured guest of the library. What did you do differently? ...did they see you knocking out and reporting the Fuck as defending the library?

I wouldn't open the letter just yet. If it's intended for whoever's desk that is, and not you, you could get in trouble. If no one comes, maybe check who it's addressed to? If it's addressed to you, or the envelope is not sealed, you could open it.

...does this room count as part of the library? Is it permissible to sleep here? That does look like a therapist's couch, made for laying down on.

Weird thought. Both librarians we've seen are bandaged. And I'm not convinced they're even the same species. They're not... making you into one of them, are they?

The outside seems like it's right outside that window. If you're not right about this place being safe, you don't have much time left. Has it stopped?

>masks or something linking them to a remote command
...that would explain the sudden pauses or changes in behavior. The librarian wasn't being forgetful or spacey, it was receiving new orders. Definitely a possibility.
>>
No. 513866 ID: f29aa1

>>513815
>The outside seems like it's right outside that window.
FUCK
>>
No. 514217 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137024598236.png - (183.84KB , 800x600 , 48b.png )
514217

The outside hasn't moved much closer since you landed, you think. A quick glance out the window confirms that there's just a wide band of static along where the horizon should be. It's a little disconcerting, but it shouldn't pose any immediate threat.

The two librarians did not look to be of the same species. In fact, the fluffy mane on the first one looked like it would be more at home on a Dwarf, while the ears on the second looked like they might belong to a Mer. That said, Dwarves don't normally have eyes and Mer don't usually have manes. And, counting wings as arms, the races of men only ever have two arms.

If you remember correctly, the vast majority of servants and guards within the lands of the Gods are constructs, which puts them somewhere between mortal and immortal on the deific scale. "Construct" is a bit of a misnomer, though, as it pretty much applies to anything that could be construed as 'living' that was created by magical means. So, a tree planted from a magically-created seed is as much of a construct as a golem wrought from metal and fire and animated with sacred rites.

The main thing that sets constructs apart from mortals is that they are magically sustained; they require magical energy to exist, but with a proper supply they can endure forever.
>>
No. 514218 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137024603211.png - (132.85KB , 800x600 , 49.png )
514218

You wait around for a minute or two before your curiosity gets the better of you and you check the letter.

It's at a pretty awkward height though. Most desks are kind of shit like that; your wings aren't dexterous enough for grabbing, and items atop desks are too high to reach comfortably with your feet and are often things you don't want to lick. If your foot wasn't messed up you'd just jump onto the desk and use your feet, but you'd probably hurt yourself if you tried that now.

After a moment of indecision you elect to just tongue the letter and be done with it. If anyone else wants it, they can deal with it being slightly damp.

It reads:


Dear Mortal, You have brought to me a wonderful gift. We will discuss it in person once you have rested. For the moment, this room shall be yours to use as you please. Welcome to my library.
>>
No. 514219 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137024608776.png - (191.09KB , 800x600 , 50.png )
514219

As this room is apparently now yours, you take a seat at the desk before you open the tray.

It takes a bit of tongue and wing-work, and the lid ends up on the floor, but the reward is well worth the effort.

The tray contains:

A plate of cured meats, olives, and cheeses.

Bread and a waterskin.

A cheese knife and a bread knife.

A library rules pamphlet, blank requisition forms for a 'library card', and directions to the nearest bathroom.

A quill and ink.

A light blanket, a poncho, and pants.
>>
No. 514220 ID: 76b151

Eat first, then fill out the form. You'll want a library card to borrow books. If you don't feel up to slicing the bread and cheese just eat them seperately.
>>
No. 514221 ID: 76b151

As for the 'gift' My guess is that the Flying Fuck is something new and the The Librarian wants to a) study it. b) disect it. c) study it then disect it. Gotta lova researchers.
>>
No. 514223 ID: d0e37b

>>514219
cry from happiness, eat, drink and sleep. fill up the card when you wake up. then eat some more.
take whats left before you leave.
>>
No. 514225 ID: 12c19f

It seems this castle has a curator that welcomes you.

I think you should meet them. They seem to have control of the constructs running this place. Maybe this abandoned home in the heavens is free from the apocalypse below.
>>
No. 514229 ID: 4f8952

>>514221

my guess is that the letter is from who- or whatever it is that controls these librarians. I wouldn't be too surprised if they were some kind of flesh golem.

eat. drink. be merry.
>>
No. 514230 ID: 19b3c3

Holy crap, best possible outcome. They're glad you brought the fuck to them. And apparently the rules about not eating don't apply to this room, or they wouldn't have brought you food!

(...double check the rules mention this exemption before eating).

Also, the fact that whoever is running this place is interested in studying something from the outside is very good news indeed- that pretty strongly suggests they're studying the problem of the outside and might be helpful or willing to help in doing something about it.

Anyways, eat drink, and rest. Double check the rules, change into clean clothes, and fill out the form after.
>>
No. 514266 ID: f2c20c

>>514219
Hmm. Could you push back the chair, sit on it and recline to use your feet to handle the task of writing, or could you sit on the back of the chair itself so that the desk is right at your feet?

Anyway, read the rules pamphlet before doing anything else. Seeing as how this is your room, I am going to assume the rules don't apply while you are inside it. It is no longer part of the Library.

May as well take stock of what's in the cabinet, too.
>>
No. 514275 ID: 9ddf68

double check the rules to make sure you wouldn't brake any of them and if you're in the clear eat and drink. After that see what you have in the room to work with and then hit the hay. When you wake up change into the new clothes and then I guess we get to see the head librarian.
>>
No. 514281 ID: e31ca1

I... hope this place doesn't count as library proper. Make sure you eat the food well inside the office, I guess.
>>
No. 514299 ID: c23ab0

Obviously, the fluffy mane came from a dwarf and the ears came from a Mer. Just because a construct can grow itself doesn't mean it isn't made from parts! Plus the eye had stitches. You thought it was stitched open, but maybe it's just literally stitched into place!

...hopefully the dwarf and mer were dead before their body parts were harvested.
>>
No. 514306 ID: 19b3c3

On second thought, after you've eaten, it might be a good idea to fill out the library card request form before resting, if you're up to it. That way, maybe your card will be ready when you wake up.

>>514299
Possibly! If rulebreakers have their skin used for book leather, maybe the leftover parts are used for other thing! Or the gods build their librarians out of spare parts after creating the other races?
>>
No. 514319 ID: c23ab0

>>514306

Did gods create the other races out of parts too? Then how do they make babies without more parts to make them with?
>>
No. 514342 ID: eaa372

Eat and read then investigate the room, those unopened drawers call out to you.
>>
No. 514451 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137033050765.png - (181.27KB , 800x600 , 51.png )
514451

Mortals are not constructs, and were created by different means. You don't know much more than that, as creation was an incredibly long time ago, and there weren't exactly a ton of mortals around that were willing or able to write things down. And obviously, the gods have kept the secrets of creating reproducing life to themselves.

You read through the library rules. There aren’t any rules that you weren’t already aware of.

You figure they wouldn't have given you food if it were against the rules to eat, so you eat. You're too tired to really enjoy it, but the food is alright.
>>
No. 514452 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137033053952.png - (175.76KB , 800x600 , 52.png )
514452

Filling out the forms, checking all the drawers and cupboards, or changing clothes would require more effort than you have in reserve, so you grab the blanket, limp across to the couch, and go the fuck to sleep.
>>
No. 514453 ID: 5a5dd4
File 137033057028.png - (115.28KB , 800x600 , 53.png )
514453

Forsaken Chapter 1 END
>>
No. 514457 ID: 19b3c3

Sleep tight then. Rest your weary eyes, all four of them. The forms and clothes will be there in the morning. (Assuming there is one).

Looking forward to chapter 2! Really enjoying this one.
>>
No. 514464 ID: 1572c1

>>514457
Agreed; get some sleep, you adorable four-eyed being, you.
...
OH MY GOSH, IT JUST OCCURRED TO ME

DID WE EVER FIND OUT WHAT HER NAME IS??

AAAA WHAT'S YOUR NAME?
>>
No. 514474 ID: 882554

her name is Robert Paulson
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password