[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 30041)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 39865 unique user posts. View catalog

File 125039053749.png - (234.15KB , 600x600 , AQ76.png )
30041 No. 30041 ID: 7eda8b

Expand all images
>>
No. 30047 ID: 7eda8b
File 12503908343.png - (113.29KB , 600x600 , AQ77.png )
30047

Goshen and Aphek have been marching for eight nights. They are out of water. Aphek is exhausted, but is in fairly good health. Goshen is not.

The sun is rising.
>>
No. 30050 ID: 7eda8b
File 125039092940.png - (94.66KB , 500x500 , AQ78.png )
30050

Cresting the dune, they see something interesting.
>>
No. 30051 ID: 476456

confirm that is not a mirage with aphek.
>>
No. 30052 ID: 9a71e2

>>30050
That looks like not-desert.
Hopefully, they have water.
Head on down and see if they welcome visitors.
If they don't welcome them, then scope things out.
>>
No. 30053 ID: fdc826

>>30051

This, then determine how far away it is.
>>
No. 30054 ID: 87583b

Investigate!
>>
No. 30063 ID: 7eda8b
File 125039278780.png - (137.91KB , 500x500 , AQ79.png )
30063

>>30051
>confirm that is not a mirage with aphek.
"H-hey," says Goshen.

"Yes?" Aphek replies.

"Wuzzah?"

"Uhh. Looks like ruins," Aphek says.

"Good. Can rest... N-now."
>>
No. 30064 ID: 476456

Well..go rest in the shade.
>>
No. 30066 ID: 9a71e2

>>30063
Ahpek, get him out of the sun, and search for water.
He looks in a bad way.
>>
No. 30068 ID: fdc826

>>30063

Have Aphek help Goshen into some shade, then look for anything at all to drink.

And, as much as I'd hate to say this, Goshen should probably take some of that armor off. Seriously, he's gotta be roasting in that shit.
>>
No. 30072 ID: 7eda8b
File 125039494888.png - (98.86KB , 500x500 , AQ80.png )
30072

Goshen collapses.
>>
No. 30074 ID: f4963f

... Aphek. Carry Goshen to some shade. You're in this together, right?

At the very least, we can try to prevent heatstroke.
>>
No. 30075 ID: 7eda8b
File 125039508730.png - (96.09KB , 500x500 , AQ81.png )
30075

Control switches to Aphek.
>>
No. 30076 ID: 9a71e2

>>30075
Drag Goshen to some shade and take off his cloth.. I mean armor.
He must be roasting.
After that, scout for water.
>>
No. 30077 ID: fdc826

>>30075

First, access memory of how Shadran killed the other dudes who fell into her trap.

Then, drag Goshen to some shade, and take off some of that plate mail. But, for the love of god, don't touch anything below the waste. I'm not letting this quest go there.

Finally, look for something to drink, and boil it if necessary.
>>
No. 30090 ID: 7eda8b
File 12503968122.png - (104.10KB , 500x500 , AQ82.png )
30090

>>30074
>>30076
>drag Goshen
He's awfully heavy. Aphek is strong enough to drag him the rather sizable distance to the ruins, but... he was actually in the process of taking the makeshift tent from his pack when Goshen collapsed.

>>30077
>First, access memory of how Shadran killed the other dudes who fell into her trap.
Aphek has no idea how that's relevant! Unless... This is a trap as well? If so, Aphek is going to die.

Let's see. Aphek was rather weak at the time. It didn't seem anything fancy. Shadran had a hiding place out of sight. The Northerners approached, and then started prodding at Aphek. Shadran snuck up without making a sound, and stabbed one through the back of the neck. The northerner fell, utterly limp. The other turned and took a swing at her with a huge sword. She sidestepped it, then got inside his reach and drove her sword into his neck. She then leapt away while the sergal struggled to stop the bleeding. He did not succeed.

It was horrible.

Why was that important?

>take off his armor
Are you sure? Goshen has made a point not to do so no matter what. Still, he's clearly in dire straits...
>>
No. 30091 ID: 9a71e2

>>30089
There should be more shelter down at the ruins, and you're on a dune.
If you set up a tent here, it'll be much more visible.
And you won't have to leave him unattended while searching the ruins.
At this point he's probably got heat exhaustion; fairly minor if you can lower his body temperature and only mildly serious if you can't.
>>
No. 30092 ID: 476456

he's covered in fur and you're in the middle of the desert and you're wondering why it'd be a good idea to take off his armor.
>>
No. 30093 ID: 2abfb1

>>30090
He is encased in a GIANT METAL OVEN in the scorching sun. Besides, it's not like his armor is going to keep someone from killing him when he's passed out from heatstroke. Also try giving him so water.

At the very least, flip him over.
>>
No. 30112 ID: f4963f

Just to be clear, Aphek - how far away /are/ the ruins? We should probably know that before we know whether or not it's better to camp here.
>>
No. 30123 ID: 7eda8b
File 125039984414.png - (142.95KB , 450x450 , AQ83.png )
30123

With great effort, Aphek drags Goshen the hundred or so yards to the ruins. Luckily, no one jumps up to ambush him.

Aphek is very tired now.
>>
No. 30124 ID: 9a71e2

>>30123
Set up the tent, put him in it, go back and grab your stuff.
I'd really like to tell you it can wait...

When you're finished with that, sit in the shade and catch your breath.
>>
No. 30125 ID: 6faa8c

>>30123
Get the tent stuff and set it up against the wall.
>>
No. 30131 ID: f4963f

What's still in Aphek's pack, and what did we leave back on the sand dune?

Would Aphek have enough energy to bring more supplies back from the dune?
>>
No. 30135 ID: 7eda8b
File 125040103442.png - (105.20KB , 500x500 , AQ84.png )
30135

>Go back and get stuff.
Yeah, yeah...
>>
No. 30138 ID: 6164e0

Remember to keep the armor nearby, so that he sees it the moment he awakens.

We don't want any rash assumptions, right? I mean, this is the guy who is going to teach us how to fend for ourselves, our ticket to adventure, to a life far better than that of a slave. So do what you can to support him, and be ready to learn.
>>
No. 30140 ID: 6164e0

Wait, why are you marching in the day? I thought you were night marching?

And how has the first bit of martial practice gone, eh Aphek?
>>
No. 30141 ID: 64f8ae

Set up tent in the shade, it should be better here.
>>
No. 30142 ID: 9a71e2

>>30135
Hole up for the day, keep a watch out.
>>
No. 30168 ID: 7eda8b
File 125040294298.png - (129.55KB , 500x500 , AQ85.png )
30168

>>30140
>Wait, why are you marching in the day? I thought you were night marching?
Goshen and Aphek marched all night. The sun came up pretty recently.

Maybe they should've been more conservative about it, but with all the water gone, they've been acting... a little desperate.

>>30138
>This is the guy who is going to give us a life far better than that of a slave.
Aphek really hopes so!

But... can he trust the grey? Aphek has no guarantee he won't be sold the instant the opportunity arises.
>>
No. 30169 ID: 9a71e2

>>30168
Well, saving his life should at least jack up the price...
Anything in the ruins before you conk out?
>>
No. 30170 ID: 476456

Naaaah he probably finds you more useful than cash.
>>
No. 30171 ID: 476456

Though if you possess any useful talent maybe it'd sway his opinion farther towards keeping you~
>>
No. 30172 ID: f4963f

Well, there's only so much you can do. He gave you his word, and to your credit, you have saved his life at least once, possibly now just twice. If he considers you useful and trustworthy, he'll be a lot less inclined to sell you.

Since Goshen passed out, it looks like your shift is first. Good luck buddy.
>>
No. 30241 ID: f78140

>>30168
give him your trust, and he'll return it. he's here for adventure, and adventuring companions are among the highest of people to trust.
also of note, you may want to see if you can find any food and water around here.
>>
No. 30254 ID: 7eda8b
File 125041900456.png - (101.08KB , 500x500 , AQ86.png )
30254

>>30169
>Anything in the ruins before you conk out?
Even after resting for several minutes, Aphek doesn't think he can go straight to sleep. It's hard sleeping in daylight this bright anyway. Might as well look around.

The first thing to catch his eye is the broken statue. It looks like this used to be in the town square, which of course would make this place a former town.

The statue's head is defaced, and no nameplate is visible, but Aphek has a pretty good idea of who it's supposed to be.

Anyone who used to live in this place is long dead, likely worked to death, their bones ground to powder by wind and time and the remorseless desert, their scant survivors marched off as slaves or walking rations.

Aphek stares at the monument for some time.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
>>
No. 30255 ID: 5eea01

So uh. Who is the statue?
>>
No. 30256 ID: c80cec

>>30255
Well, there is only one famous Sergal I can think of...

General Rain.
>>
No. 30258 ID: c013e1

>>30254
Ok, you've got trunkless down, but they don't seem too vast to me...
>>
No. 30260 ID: 7eda8b
File 125042803354.png - (118.56KB , 500x500 , AQ87.png )
30260

>>30258
>Ok, you've got trunkless down, but they don't seem too vast to me...

No. Aphek supposes not.

...Still pretty large, though. Especially considering it was erected to lord over some Sailzane town, not a bustling, conquered metropolis or fortification.

Aphek considers Goshen. Whether he likes him or not, the big northerner needs more than shade. It's obvious that he can't go as long without water as Aphek.
>>
No. 30261 ID: 7eda8b
File 125042822612.png - (122.06KB , 500x500 , AQ88.png )
30261

Aphek hears voices!

"This place creeps me out," says one.

"That's why they put it here," says another.

Neither sound like sergals.
>>
No. 30263 ID: c013e1

>>30261
Sneakily check them out.

See if they have water.
>>
No. 30266 ID: 1f5d37

>>30261
Make sure Goshen and the tent are at least somewhat obscured.
>>
No. 30272 ID: 7fc792

>>30261
and get your sword. Why don't you have your sword with you?
>>
No. 30273 ID: 87583b

Goshen is going to be pretty pissed when he finds out someone destroyed and defaced a statue of every northerner's hero.

Aphek: Hide and use the same strategy that Shadran used, using Goshen as bait. Grab Goshen's spear to use, however. Try to determine if they're friendly or not first, of course.
>>
No. 30277 ID: 6164e0

>>30261

Hide Goshen and your gear somewhere in the shade, obscure your tracks and bunker down quietly. Remember to put Goshen's removed armor somewhere in his field of view for when he comes to.

While waiting, keep your eyes and ears open, as we have no idea about the disposition of this group of people.

So, eight days to get hear, huh? And your water is gone? I know it may not seem as glamorous as most parts of an adventure, but we may end up needing to steal some water from these new people. Our need for water is bad, especially Goshen's.
>>
No. 30278 ID: 6164e0

>>30261
Oh yeah, lets check our memory:

The two Sergals Shadram killed prior to you meeting Goshen, did she kill them with stealth and surprise (they were dead before they knew that combat was even joined) or were their deaths bloody martial affairs?

Remember, she is still out there, and anything we can tell Goshen about her is useful.
>>
No. 30282 ID: 54af1f

>>30261
Sneak up and check them out
>>
No. 30292 ID: 67c611

Can Aphek read or write?

What kind of slavery were you in? The "I own you, but you are still a human being" or the "daily beatings and treat you like an animal"?

>>30278
Let's see. Aphek was rather weak at the time. It didn't seem anything fancy. Shadran had a hiding place out of sight. The Northerners approached, and then started prodding at Aphek. Shadran snuck up without making a sound, and stabbed one through the back of the neck. The northerner fell, utterly limp. The other turned and took a swing at her with a huge sword. She sidestepped it, then got inside his reach and drove her sword into his neck. She then leapt away while the sergal struggled to stop the bleeding. He did not succeed.

It was horrible.
>>
No. 30391 ID: 9a71e2

>>30261
Hide and observe.
Keep violence back until they look like a threat.
If they don't look violent or like slave traders, beg for water.
>>
No. 30540 ID: 87583b

Ashek: Roll in the sand to mask your scent.

Make a mental note while getting dust-backed to brush Goshen after you're through this particular ordeal. Master always liked that, didn't he? Perhaps Goshen will too.
>>
No. 30547 ID: bffa2a

>>30540

We are no slave anymore. Besides Ashek has not yet decided if he wants Goshen to continue living. I guess that can be determined by his future actions. It's easy to plunge a sword in somebody asleep, if only there were better options after too. And the Talyxian lives.

Sneak toward voices... dammit, where is your sword? Obviously Goshen's lessons have been lacking somewhat.
>>
No. 30586 ID: 6164e0

>>30547

Looks like his sword is sticking out of the pack in
>>30123
which makes sense, he probably had nothing to re-purpose into a belt and sheathe, and so it has to get shoved in the pack.
>>
No. 31031 ID: f78140

>>31030
you are out of water, and neither of the foreigners look very parched. maybe you could steal some water from them. or failing that, kill them and drink their blood. you're an omnivore, right?
>>
No. 31032 ID: f4963f

Aphek, how would you say you measure up to a human, strength- and capability-wise?
>>
No. 31033 ID: bde1b8

>>31030
Our main options are violence, thievery, and pity.

You are untrained and dehydrated, so violence will probably be a dumb idea.

Thievery requires we actually know what they have worth stealing, and the know how to do it when they are not looking.

Pity requires you to be beat up, half dead, and not at all scary.

I think we should try to ask them for water.
>>
No. 31034 ID: f44349

>>31031
...We could just ASK...
Of course there's no way to tell if they'll be hostile so... iunno.
>>
No. 31036 ID: 476456

Yeah you're not going to take down two armed swordsmen.
>>
No. 31038 ID: 7eda8b
File 125056806593.png - (115.40KB , 500x500 , AQ89.png )
31038

(Art error, reuploaded. Update after the replies to said update etc)

>>30263
>Sneakily check them out.
Aphek holds his breath and crawls up behind one of the ruined stone cottages. Two creatures... humans, (Aphek knows to check the ears) are here, one with a small, brown mane on top of his head, the other appearing hairless under his keffiyeh. They wear unfamiliar heraldry, a sun with a chain around it, and swords. Their clothing seems foreign, and perhaps unsuited to the desert.

"Looks in order. There's a spot of luck," says the hairless one.

"I told you not to worry," replies the other.

>>30547
>Dammit, where is your sword? Obviously Goshen's lessons have been lacking somewhat.
Why, Aphek has had an entire week to train! With nothing else to do other than marching, nonstop, all night, every single night, with little food or water, across the largest desert in the world, desperately rationing their movement to conserve their every breath of moisture.

Naturally, he should be an expert in the killing arts by now, his mind like a wolf's, his eyes like a hawk's, his blade an extension of his iron-sinewed arm.

Perhaps Goshen is an incompetent teacher, or perhaps Aphek is simply stupid.
>>
No. 31040 ID: 67c611

>>31038
wait and watch. If they start to walk off, get their attention. We will die without help. And if they kill us, well we would have died anyway so no big deal.
>>
No. 31042 ID: 2abfb1

>>31038
You are in a rather rough spot, so you might as well try your luck with diplomacy. Spy on them a bit longer, and if nothing gives them away as malevolent try approaching them peacefully and explaining that you are DYING OF FUCKING THIRST.
>>
No. 31048 ID: 7eda8b
File 125056973415.png - (115.15KB , 500x500 , AQ90.png )
31048

>>30292
>Can Aphek read or write?
Yes.

>What kind of slavery were you in? The "I own you, but you are still a human being" or the "daily beatings and treat you like an animal"?
Aphek was treated... fairly well... for a slave.

>>31032
>Aphek, how would you say you measure up to a human, strength- and capability-wise?
Aphek has scarcely ever even seen humans before, much less arm-wrestled with them. He's heard they're small and weak, but he heard that from northerners, compared to which Aphek is small and weak.

They look roughly the same height and mass as Aphek, though.

>>31042
>Spy on them a bit longer
They continue speaking in Anglic. Aphek wonders if they speak Vilouan.

"Nice," says the hairless one. "A caravan topped off the water. So we're probably going to be killed by wolfsharks instead of thirst."

"Tasgall, you sadden me," says the maned one. "You said you wanted to kill Sergals, and ever since we crossed the sea you have done nothing but panic at the thought that you might see one."

"I still can't believe they trust their bandits to just dump their Lord's cut of loot here."

"Maybe they aren't looking to turn a profit," replies the maned one.
>>
No. 31050 ID: bde1b8

Hmm, the second one seems scared of sergals.

Well, we can play off of that to intimidate them, maybe. Although they are armed...
>>
No. 31051 ID: f4963f

Alright. Stay out of sight. The loot's unimportant to us, and they're clearly hostile towards sergals.
>>
No. 31052 ID: 476456

Yell "Not all sergals are on the same side you double racist, from behind cover."
>>
No. 31055 ID: 98dab8

>>31050
I'm sure he's not afraid of southerns.
>>
No. 31057 ID: 67c611

>>31048

Wait to see if they take all of the water that is apparently in there. If they don't, let them leave without spotting you.

If they take all the water. Say "water", take two weak steps forward, and then collapse face-down in the sand.

If they do spot you. Say "water", take two weak steps forward, and then collapse face-down in the sand.



Trust the voices in your head. We think we know what we are doing.
>>
No. 31058 ID: 67c611

>>31050
>>31052
Ok, not those voices. They are trying to get you killed.
>>
No. 31060 ID: 7eda8b
File 125057148641.png - (133.49KB , 500x500 , AQ91.png )
31060

>>31052
"That's strange," says the maned human. "Those dunes to the north look like they've had something dragged across them."

Aphek's eyes widen. He panics.
"Not all Sergals are on the same side," he yells. "You...! you..."
He trails off.

Uh oh.
>>
No. 31065 ID: 476456

"oh uh...can i have some of your water?"

politely.
>>
No. 31066 ID: 67c611

>>31060
You tool!

Put your hands in the air and beg them not to kill you and let you have some water.

You can salvage this!
>>
No. 31067 ID: 98dab8

... Goshen should have just ate you.
>>
No. 31068 ID: bde1b8

>>31060
Well uh... fuck.

Stand brave and tall, Aphek! Try and intimidate them!

"Get out of here before I get the rest of my squad, racist pigs!"
>>
No. 31069 ID: 67c611

>>31066
nvm better idea is to get on your knees and do the good old bow with your hands clasped together in the air and yell "please don't kill me".
>>
No. 31071 ID: f4963f

... crap.

Alright, rise to our full height. Express our disinterest in fighting them. Offer to trade supplies for water.
>>
No. 31072 ID: 67c611

>>31060

>>... Goshen should have just ate you.

suggest this to Goshen if you live that long.
>>
No. 31079 ID: fdc826

>>31060

Oh, nice one, numbnuts. Just try to act friendly; offer to trade supplies for water, that kind of shit. If they seem hostile/try to get too close, prepare to run like the fucking wind.
>>
No. 31081 ID: 6164e0

You kidding me? Goshen was ambushed, stripped and left for dead, consumed a fallen comrade to survive, buried his fellows without tools, trekked across the desert bloodied and waterless, and fought a Talyxian to a standstill.

If we shout, he is sure as hell waking up.

This works out actually, as if he isn't wearing his armor, he should be able to operate at full steam for a bit even exhausted and dehydrated as he is.

So shout for help.

Lets do what adventuring Sergals do. Kill things, eat things and burn things.


Start with the first one, see which part of the plan we feel like next.
>>
No. 31083 ID: 6164e0

>>31081
Besides, he has had time for his wounds to heal up some, right now all he really has slowing him is dehydration/exhaustion, something far more mild than dying on the end of a human sword!
>>
No. 31085 ID: f4963f

>>31081
>>31083
He just literally collapsed from exhaustion. I'm pretty sure we're on our own for this one.
>>
No. 31088 ID: 6164e0

>>31085
You'd be surprised how quickly the right stimulus can rouse someone, even from something like that.
>>
No. 31092 ID: 7eda8b
File 125057475215.png - (110.27KB , 500x500 , AQ92.png )
31092

"Please don't kill me!" Aphek yells, and tries to make himself look small.

Aphek suddenly realizes he's speaking Vilouan. His speech must be meaningless to th-

"Hold," the human replies in Aphek's tongue.

"You will stay still," he continues. "Am not mean to kill you. I am named Horace," says the human. His accent is atrocious.

"I'm Aphek," says Aphek.

"You can understand it?" Asks Tasgall in the human tongue, keeping his distance.

"Mostly," replies Horace in the same. "This one is a worker sergal. The warriors are larger, and usually grey or blue."

"Gods. This is a SMALL one?" says Tasgall.

"Shut up. I'm trying to think. Uhh..."

Horace switches to Vilouan.

"Where are your masters? Your leaders? Your wolfsharks? Show us to them."
>>
No. 31094 ID: 6faa8c

>>31092
"Please, we mean no harm, soldier or not. We only want water. We will leave you alone if you just give us some water and do us the same favor. Please. Please."

Beg if you have to. Showing them our friend is signing his death warrant!
>>
No. 31095 ID: 476456

"Its just uh..me and my buddy. I'm not sure he'll take too kindly to you waving your sword around like a crazed....crazy guy"
>>
No. 31096 ID: 6164e0

>>31092
'Masters this way.'

Lead out into the desert south towards the fort, abandon them and use your advantage at crossing distances faster than a loaded down human in the desert to quickly get back, rouse Goshen, get him and yourself some water, and get him re-suited up before they can return.

Then face them from this new perspective.

Bargaining will go a great deal better in this manner.

And don't let on you understand the human tongue.
>>
No. 31097 ID: 67c611

>>31092
"He's uh....he's not awake right now. We need water and meat. We have things to trade."

Should we lead him to Goshen? We are already fucked if they attack. Putting us in a bit worse position wouldn't change anything.
>>
No. 31098 ID: f4963f

>And don't let on you understand the human tongue.

Agreed, this is probably our only advantage right now. Keep talking to Horace in Vilouan.

>
Lead out into the desert south towards the fort, abandon them and use your advantage at crossing distances faster than a loaded down human in the desert to quickly get back, rouse Goshen, get him and yourself some water, and get him re-suited up before they can return.

Hm... reluctantly seconded. Water's valuable to us, and as long as we can give them the impression that we're dangerous, they might be more inclined to listen to trade offers.

Yes. Lead them into the desert, then backtrack to Goshen.
>>
No. 31099 ID: f4963f

>>31097
Actually, I take it back. Let's try to bargain first.

If they insist on meeting our master, /then/ we lead them into the desert.
>>
No. 31103 ID: 6164e0

>>31096
OH

And if they ask about the dragging mark, say that one of your fellow slaves died from exhaustion, and it is part of your religious beliefs that he had to be dragged back to be buried in the shade. If they question the belief, act confused that it is not the norm.
>>
No. 31104 ID: 67c611

>>31096
Suicide :D
>>
No. 31110 ID: 98dab8

>>31096
That is a horrible plan. It's deceit solely for deceit's sake, creates unnecessary conflict, and lacks an exit plan.

For right now, be like "He needs water... Please sir, we both do." If he continues to insist on seeing your leaders, show him Goshen.
>>
No. 31111 ID: 6164e0

>>31110
The one implied that at least they are interested in killing sergals. I would rather not risk it, especially when we are built to be more mobile than them in this desert, and have a chance to manipulate such to at least assure we get water.
>>
No. 31112 ID: ed8d8a

Alternately, you could feed them the story about how your caravan was attacked and your master and comrades were killed, leaving you to wander in search of water etc. You can just leave out the bit about having a friend sleeping in the shade. It has the advantage of being almost true, and therefor much easier for you to stumble through.
(As previously established, the characters in this quest do not have Mudy's silver tongue. Complicated oratory doesn't come out right)
>>
No. 31113 ID: 98dab8

>>31111
1. We may very well not be more mobile in the state we're in.
2. Dying sergals are almost certainly not the sort they want to kill.
3. They would be back on us quickly enough that neither us nor Goshen would be properly healthy for combat. While it's unlikely that either is as combat-ready as the Talyxian, there's two of them. Ashek has already proved himself to be useless, so in essence, it would be a single Sergal who is still dehydrated (it takes time for water to get into your system), has just been awoken from unconsciousness, and has been walking all night.

tl;dr: ur plan sux
>>
No. 31114 ID: fdc826

Cruxador's right about the Talyxian... Quick, somebody who hasn't lost the creative part of their brain to TV and videogames, think of a way to get her to shank these assholes!

...Alternatively, try to be half-truthful with them, (stuck in the desert, need water, can't fight, can't understand human language, etc.) but leave out the part about Goshen unless you're forced to reveal him.
>>
No. 31115 ID: 6164e0

Well, if we aren't misleading them into the desert, say your master is at Fort Ji and is a trader. You and another slave were returning from delivering goods when an infection from a wound (from some local fauna) caused him to collapse. He perished shortly thereafter.

You then dragged his body so that it could be buried in the shade. If asked why such a custom, act confused as to why someone wouldn't do so.

As to the master, say they are a big time merchant, and that you and the other slave were already late. He probably sent guards out already to this fort, as it is directly on the route between sites, so you are waiting for one to show up.

Try and get some water (surely they can't carry it all) and any other supplies you can use, and spend some time near them until they are used to your presence.

If you see the chance, head off to rouse Goshen and explain the situation, and that you need him to armor up and look like a guard.

Then have Goshen pretend to be a guard for your merchant master, and either part ways or head with them to Ji.
>>
No. 31116 ID: 98dab8

>>31115
Unnecessary deceit is unnecessary. Telling them the truth but leaving out Goshen unless pressed seems like the best idea so far.

... It occurs to me, though, that it might be quite possible to ally with these humans.
>>
No. 31117 ID: 6164e0

>>31116
It seems entirely possible, but we would need to hear more of their reasons for being here first.
>>
No. 31118 ID: 9a71e2

>>31092
Pretend to be a runaway.
Ask for water.
Decline invitations to join them.
>>
No. 31119 ID: 9a71e2

>>31118
Even better, pretend to be simple.
Act like a dog.
>>
No. 31120 ID: 6164e0

>>31119
We already spoke in their presence, I don't think that will work.
>>
No. 31121 ID: 9a71e2

>>31120
We said 'Please don't kill me' and 'I'm Aphek'.
I didn't mean entirely like a dog, more like a very stupid human.
Nod all the time.
Drool, if possible.
We want to look unthreatening, and stupidity is the easiest way.
>>
No. 31122 ID: 7eda8b
File 125058140345.png - (107.10KB , 500x500 , AQ93.png )
31122

>>31116
>Telling them the truth but leaving out Goshen unless pressed seems like the best idea so far.

"My master died," says Aphek. "I ran away. Been going south, to ... Freedom. Can I please have some water?"

"He says he's alone," Horace translates. "Says he's fleeing south away from slavery something something take pity on poor little me."

"Cute. Ask him why he was dragging a sled, then," says Tasgall.

"What made the marks in the sand in the north?" Horace asks. Aphek notes he does not gesture with his sword. Does not take it away from Aphek for any reason.

>>31103

"Another slave," Aphek quickly lies. "He died. I dragged him here to be buried. It is our way."

Horace smiles, stretching his lips away from his strange, square teeth. Aphek isn't sure if this is a normal human smile, or if Horace is trying to imitate a sergal. It's unsettling.

"Take us to him. We will pay respect together."
>>
No. 31123 ID: 98dab8

>>31121
Well in that case, he doesn't really have to act.
>>
No. 31124 ID: 98dab8

>>31122
Take him to Goshen then. We're lucky the human doesn't understand our language too well, we can play like "he died" really means "he's dieing"
>>
No. 31125 ID: fdc826

>>31124

I don't like it, but this may be our only choice.

I really don't like the look of these bastards though, so you might have to try and stealthily kill both of them if you get the chance, starting with Horace.
>>
No. 31126 ID: 98dab8

>>31125
We'd have to be able to stealthy kill both of them at once before it'd be what I'd consider an acceptable risk. I don't like the look of them either, but then again, they just got surprised by a sergal in hostile territory, you can hardly fault them for being on edge.
>>
No. 31127 ID: fdc826

>>31126

You've got a point, but it was this:

>"He says he's alone," Horace translates. "Says he's fleeing south away from slavery something something take pity on poor little me."

>"Cute. Ask him why he was dragging a sled, then," says Tasgall.

That really made these guys look like assholes. In any case, if both humans are distracted and standing near each other, then I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to slit both of their throats before they can react.
>>
No. 31128 ID: 5fe4a8

>>31122

Ask him to please not be not so threatening with the weapon. We just need water.

Don't mention what happened to the last person who crept up on our companion with a drawn weapon.
>>
No. 31129 ID: e98c4f

>>31124

This this this this this!
>>
No. 31130 ID: 7eda8b
File 125058578269.png - (128.67KB , 500x500 , AQ94.png )
31130

>>31126
>We'd have to be able to stealthy kill both of them at once before it'd be what I'd consider an acceptable risk.
Aphek seriously doubts that's going to happen!

>>31124
>We're lucky the human doesn't understand our language too well, we can play like "he died" really means "he's dieing"

"...Please don't kill him," Aphek says.

"He's not dead?" asks Horace.

"He's dying," Aphek pleads. "Dying. But he might not die. I don't want you to kill him. Please. Pleeeeeease."

"What the hell is it saying?" asks Tasgall.

"We're negotiating. Relax. You can kill it later."

Horace switches back to Vilouan. "How many are there? No lies."

"Sir. Please. Horace. I only-"

"Tell me. Right now. Or I am going to chop something off of you."
>>
No. 31131 ID: 476456

Its imperative that you dont reveal you speak common.
>>
No. 31132 ID: 7dcac7

>"We're negotiating. Relax. You can kill it later."

>"You can kill it later."

>"You can kill it"

They're mean you both harm. Be prepared to take them out, and do not let them leave your sight.
>>
No. 31133 ID: 98dab8

>>31132
Could be that the one talking to us is placating the other.
>>
No. 31134 ID: 98dab8

>>31130
Just me and him! Everyone else was killed! He's not even from the same place!
>>
No. 31135 ID: 7dcac7

>>31133
Even so, the casual manner in which he suggest the other human "can kill it later" is a bit disturbing, when "It" happens to refer to us.
>>
No. 31136 ID: f78140

>>31130
...
if they chop something off, you totally have it coming for opening your dumb trap to begin with.
seriously, you should have just killed them while they were asleep.
>>
No. 31137 ID: 7eda8b
File 125058789155.png - (65.84KB , 350x350 , PLEASE HELP ME.png )
31137

>>31132
>Be prepared to take them out
What? How?!

>>31136
>if they chop something off, you totally have it coming for opening your dumb trap to begin with.
They were about to follow the trail and find Goshen!

>>31131
>Its imperative that you dont reveal you speak common.
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT APHEK THINK OF SOMETHING TO MAKE THEM NOT CASTRATE HIM!
>>
No. 31138 ID: 98dab8

>>31137
Well, a sudden bite to the throat would certainly inconvenience them. For now... don't worry about it too much.
>>
No. 31139 ID: f44349

Shit. Man.
Um... Okay!
Tell them its just the two of you, and then immediately tell them about the ambush and just keep gibbering on and on about how the Talyxian is still after you and that she's going to kill everyone. It shouldn't be hard to act hysterical.
That should give us at least a little time to think.
>>
No. 31140 ID: 476456

"Its just me and the other one. but we're being chased by a CRRAAAAAZY talaxyian."
>>
No. 31141 ID: 476456

"I wouldnt recommend staying out here too long by yourselves..."
>>
No. 31142 ID: 7eda8b
File 125059004559.png - (151.57KB , 500x500 , AQ95.png )
31142

Goshen is dreaming.
>>
No. 31143 ID: 9b5a49

>>31142
Wake the hell up!
>>
No. 31144 ID: 7eda8b
File 125059069085.png - (54.46KB , 350x350 , AQ96.png )
31144

>>31143
>Wake the hell up!
No. No. No.

Everything hurts. Everything's gone bad. Goshen needs water. Water. Water.
>>
No. 31146 ID: 7dcac7

>>31139
WAKE THE FUCK UP, DAWG!
>>
No. 31147 ID: 04bd7e

>>31144
water you say? cant you smell it? its getting closer to you right now. open. those. eyes!
>>
No. 31148 ID: 8c60d4

>>31144
Those monkeys over there are full of delicious liquid. Do you think you've still got some wolf-shark berserking in you?
>>
No. 31149 ID: 7eda8b
File 125059111097.png - (94.87KB , 500x500 , AQ97.png )
31149

>>31147
>water you say? cant you smell it? its getting closer to you right now.

something can
>>
No. 31150 ID: 04bd7e

>>31149
its for you! get it! drink!
>>
No. 31151 ID: 9b5a49

>>31149
Rip and tear.
>>
No. 31152 ID: 7eda8b
File 125059136168.png - (63.21KB , 350x350 , AQ98.png )
31152

Goshen tries to succumb to the animal. But it won't let him. It's talking to him.
>>
No. 31153 ID: 476456

Oh thats probably just your waifu, Aphek

Your waifu, Aphek
Waifu, Aphek.
>>
No. 31154 ID: 04bd7e

>>31152
whats it saying?
>>
No. 31155 ID: 8c60d4

>>31149
Yeah succumb to your rage, maybe you can scare em away with out fighting.
>>
No. 31156 ID: 7eda8b
File 125059156365.png - (50.56KB , 500x500 , AQ99.png )
31156

GOSHEN.


GOSHEN.

"nnh"
>>
No. 31157 ID: 476456

... Yeah definitely him.
>>
No. 31158 ID: 8c60d4

>>31152
Is it telling you to kill your enemies?
>>
No. 31160 ID: 7eda8b
File 12505917128.png - (80.00KB , 500x500 , AQ100.png )
31160

GOSHEN.

"Whu. What?"

GET UP.

"What? Who are you?"

GET UP. RAIDER. SOLDIER.

"You... You! Oh, by the gods!"

THERE ARE NO GODS IN SAILZANE. I ATE THEM. THERE IS ONLY ME.

"This isn't real."

GET UP.

"I can't get up. I can't. I'm so thirsty."

YES.

"I need water! Water! Please! Water!"

YOU DON'T NEED WATER.

"What...? Yes I do!"

GOSHEN. YOU DON'T NEED WATER.

"I don't understand."

GOSHEN.

"W-what?"

WHAT MAKES THE GRASS GROW?
>>
No. 31161 ID: 476456

BLOOD!
>>
No. 31162 ID: 7eda8b
File 125059204821.png - (101.96KB , 350x350 , AQ101.png )
31162

>>31161

"BLOOD!"
>>
No. 31163 ID: 8c60d4

>WHAT MAKES THE GRASS GROW?
BLOOD! BLOOD! BLOOD!
>>
No. 31186 ID: 87583b

FUCK YES DREAMSCAPE RAIN YOU ARE THE BEST
>>
No. 31200 ID: 6164e0

>>31162
Double checking, but his eyes were Grey/grey-blue before, right?


Oh, And REMEMBER, BROWN SMALL ONE FRIEND. KILL/EAT OTHERS, NOT SMALL BROWN ONE.
>>
No. 31201 ID: 0d5afc

>>31160
Fuck yes you are the best spirit guide ever
>>
No. 31202 ID: 87583b

>>31200
Blue + Yellow = Green
>>
No. 31203 ID: bffa2a

>>31200

Hopefully small brown one runs faster than two pink ones.
>>
No. 31204 ID: 87583b

>>31203
He should, sergals are really fast runners.
>>
No. 31205 ID: 6164e0

>>31201
A cruel, undefeated tribe-and-race first conqueror/raider who devoured her foes and their children known as the Brutal General, considered to be pretty much the most dangerous Sergal in recorded history?

Yeah, that is a pretty cool spirit guide.

>>31202
Oh. Duh.

Also, I really hope the eyes stay this color, think of how terrifying Goshen will look at night, two baleful green orbs glaring at you out of a patch of darkness.
>>
No. 31210 ID: d275c4
File 12506095098.png - (58.64KB , 550x550 , didsomeonesayBATHTIME.png )
31210

>>
No. 31211 ID: 931581

>>31210
Goshen: Have vision of a beautiful sergal ascending from an ocean of blood.
>>
No. 31215 ID: 6faa8c

>>31162
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GENERAL

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL BUILDINGS
>>
No. 31216 ID: 64f8ae

>>31210
SDF If this really is you...
>>
No. 31231 ID: 931581

Control never official changed, so I'll try.
Aphek: Comply with their request, but delay it with lots of begging and cowering. Also try to concentrate their attention on you.
If Goshen really enters his fell mood and attacks the humans, stay the fuck away from him.
Can you run faster than him if he tries to kill you?
>>
No. 31276 ID: 01383e

>>31204
well, it depends how FAR it is. over a close distance, the sergal wins. the farther he goes, however, the more the humans will catch up- they have a superior cooling system, allowing greater stamina.
>>
No. 31353 ID: 87583b

>>31276
Better than panting, long thin limbs with long thin fingers/toes and long ears?

I find this hard to believe. At the very least, a southern sergal should do better in this area.
>>
No. 31358 ID: 7dcac7

>>31353
No, he's right. A fit human could outdistance a racehorse over an extended period of running.
>>
No. 31362 ID: 6164e0

>>31358
Sure, that might be true most of the time, but what about in a desert with gear? Especially when Aphek is more inclined to function well in such an environment.

Plus, if a berserker is chasing you down, long distance isn't your concern, just 'not being in last place'

So even if it looks like Goshen might attack Aphek, he can move a heck of a lot faster than the humans for long enough it doesn't matter that they would eventually catch up.
>>
No. 31364 ID: 87583b

>>31362
"You don't have to outrun the dragon, just the halfling and the dwarf."
>>
No. 31390 ID: 6164e0

>>31364
Basically.
>>
No. 31403 ID: 67c611

>>31137
Thank them for not hurting you. Tell them that some people would want to kill you just because you are a Sergal. Make small talk. Ask them what they are doing out here. Give them a flask of alcohol for free (this would make a good impression). Make it clear that all you've got between the two of you is a few dozen gold pieces, some armor, a sword, and a spear. You've been hiking 8 nights across the desert trying to find Fort Ji(?). Both of you are dying of thirst and are half-dead already.

You are zero threat to them. They have little or nothing to gain by killing and looting you. You have a small but substantial chance of wounding or killing one of them in a fight. Add all of this together and you aren't worth attacking. You have to give them this information so they can make an informed decision.
>>
No. 31477 ID: 7dcac7

>>31362
Sure, but thats not what we were talking about. 31276 pointed out that humans have a better cooling system and were better adapted to distance running. It looked like you were disputing that, so I simply pointed out that he was right. Whether or not a sergal is better at short distance sprints is not really for me to say given that I have no idea as to their musculature. Though a I would only point out that Aphek in this instance is dehydrated and tired, whereas the humans seem to be in rather good health.

All that said, I sincerely hope Aphek is smart enough to hide and let Goshen take care of the humans, if that is what's going to happen.
>>
No. 31501 ID: 1f5d37

Why dont we appeal to the obviously less crazy guy in his human language?
The guy we're talking to obviously has no sympathy, but the other guy might be more reasonable.
>>
No. 31505 ID: 2ea804

>>31501
So we should appeal to the bully who both wants to kill Sergals and is afraid of them?
I think I see some problems here.
Distracting them so Goshen has a chance to eviscerate them is our best bet. We need food and water and I don't think they'll share, even if they don't kill us outright.
>>
No. 31645 ID: 64f8ae

>>31403
I like the idea of trying to guilt them but I don't think it'll work.
>>
No. 31656 ID: 98dab8

>>31645
It's not really guilting them. And while don't think it will work to the level that we're going to come out on top, necessarily, it will definitely help.
>>
No. 31689 ID: 7eda8b
File 125073595877.png - (146.93KB , 500x500 , AQ102.png )
31689

"Okay, okay. This way," Aphek says.

Horace finally lowers his sword as Aphek turns to lead them. He translates, more or less, for Tasgall.

Horace eases the language as he translates. Perhaps the hairless human would not approve of Horace's negotiating tactics... or maybe Aphek is trying too hard to find hope in a hopeless situation.

In either case, Aphek sees he has little choice, and they head towards the encampment.

"I'd feel a lot better if I had reason to think you weren't about to kill me," Aphek says in Vilouan.

He's tempted to speak Anglic to try and gain sympathy from the other human, but is uncertain.

"We'll feel better when we have all you wolfsharks in one place," says Horace.

Tasgall asks "What are you two saying?"

"It says it's afraid."

"Huh."
>>
No. 31690 ID: f4963f

>>31689
>Speaking Anglic

Better not to do that yet. If they think you can't understand it, they'll speak more freely in it, which gives us useful insight. Scary though it might be.

Keep going and wake Goshen. We'll see what they do from there.
>>
No. 31699 ID: 7eda8b
File 125073767549.png - (117.72KB , 500x500 , AQ103.png )
31699

>>31690
>Keep going and wake Goshen.

"You know," says Tasgall. "This is not how I expected our first encounter with a monster to go."

"Well, I did say it's a worker type," says Horace. "I'm sure when we fight a warrior, it'll just drool and yell and try to kill you."

"How reassuring."

"You are such a child, Tasgall."
>>
No. 31705 ID: 5fe4a8

>>31699
He couldn't have gotten far. Check for footprints?
>>
No. 31706 ID: 64f8ae

>>31699
Keep 'em talking...
>>
No. 31708 ID: bffa2a

>>31699

They mean to kill you whatever you do. If Goshen is up and about mayby you have a chance. You're no fighter but you are a runner. Lead them on a merry chace and pick that sword if you can even tough you hopefully won't need it. Let's hope Goshen dosen't forget you.
>>
No. 31710 ID: f44349

>>31699
Well, shit.
He's gotta be around here somewhere...
Let's hope he's preparing to ambush our new human "friends" and not just running around like a madman.
>>
No. 31719 ID: 6164e0

>>31699
Hrm.

Goshen woke up looking for blood, right?

Too bad Aphek doesn't know that, he could endeavor to get one of the humans a small scratch to attract Goshen.


Failing that, why not have Aphek lunge for his sword from the pack, and turn around, saying something like 'You want kill me.'
Make it clear you are deducing this in some sort of body language reading.

It seems a bit extreme, but as it is, they aren't even hiding the fact that they will probably kill you, and they already expressed an interest in killing sergals. Might as well face such a threat with some sort of weapon. Besides, they don't knkow ou only have a few days practice with it.

Or if that doesn't seem like a good idea, tell them that the body is gone, a predator must have taken him, as he was too fatigued/wounded to move. Say something like:
'Friend body gone. Feral take body. Must leave, ferals still here maybe.'

Then start gathering your things while ignoring them, only acknowledging their presence when forced, and only then to tell them the message again. Give them the impression that waiting around when ferals are near is akin to waiting for a sandstorm to hit you.
>>
No. 31730 ID: 7eda8b
File 125074092849.png - (210.46KB , 500x500 , AQ104.png )
31730

>>31705
>>31706
>>31710
>keep talking

"I... I swear, he was right here," Aphek says, quite truthfully.

Horace doesn't reply. He picks up Goshen's helmet.

"Gods above..." he says in Anglic. "I recognize this insignia."

He switches to Vilouan.

"I thought you said the other was a slave. Where did you get this?!"
>>
No. 31731 ID: 64f8ae

>>31730
I found it, there were a lot of dead raiders (east? I don't remember) of here.

(not lying, of course. )
>>
No. 31732 ID: f4963f

>>31731
This. Explain that you obtained it from the bodies of the fallen. After all, Shadran killed a few Sergals, didn't she?
>>
No. 31734 ID: 06fc25

Just to doublecheck, but what precisely does that insignia mean?
>>
No. 31736 ID: 6164e0

'Found dead warrior. Family armor. Worth freedom.'

Look worried that they saw it, then try and form a pleading look on your face.

'Please not take! Carried far, almost back! Freedom close...'

Look sad, resigned to the fact they will take it, denying you freedom.
>>
No. 31737 ID: f44349

>>31730
Explain that you found it.
Get ready to SUPER RUN AWAY if they don't buy it.
>>
No. 31745 ID: 7eda8b
File 125074232413.png - (101.11KB , 450x450 , AQ105.png )
31745

>>31734
>Just to doublecheck, but what precisely does that insignia mean?
Aphek doesn't know! He realized it meant something, but never thought to ask Goshen.

"I found it," he says. "There were a bunch of dead Sergals to the north. Thought I'd keep it around."

"Along with a whole suit of armor? Does that even fit you?"

"It fits my friend," Aphek says.

"Is your friend seven feet tall?" Horace says. He sounds agitated.

Horace shows Aphek the sideplate. The insignia is white jade.

"Delta-shape marks Silvoran Vanguard. Small triangle underneath indicates higher level of distinction. Vanguard Raider."

"What is it?" asks Tasgall.

"An elite Raider. Capital 'R'."

"What's that mean?"

"If it's telling the truth, he got it off a corpse and it means nothing," says Horace. "If it's lying, we have a problem."
>>
No. 31748 ID: 6164e0

>>31745
Act worried your friend is gone. After all, someone wounded like him could not go far in such a state, right? So don't look nervous they are suspicious, act concerned for your friend, who may very well be dying several feet away, having exhausted the last of his strength.
>>
No. 31753 ID: f98e0b

>>31745
>"This is not how I expected our first encounter with a monster to go."
They're green, your frame is more built for running, and it looks like they aren't armed with bows! Book it and try to find Goshen. Nab your sword if you can.
If you try to lie they'll never buy it. You never said anything about the friend being big, and they are already edgy.
>>
No. 31756 ID: 06fc25

>>31753

At least you'll die with some dignity.
>>
No. 31761 ID: 98dab8

Look around, hop up on that little wall. Say stuff like "He needs water, he should rest, the sun's up, this is no good"
>>
No. 31765 ID: d2ea61

>>31753

Fun fact: speed doesn't amount to much when you're dehydrated and decide to get into a straight running competition with someone who isn't.

Of course, might as well. I get the feeling that those two aren't going to bother with the whole "let the Sergal live for the time being" thing much longer.

Run, screaming for Goshen as you go. They aren't used to the heat, at least.
>>
No. 31774 ID: 7eda8b
File 125074393799.png - (110.02KB , 450x450 , AQ106.png )
31774

Aphek looks thoughtfully at the insignia, as if on the verge of some new revelation, as he assesses his ability to run. He's never seen humans run flat-out. He's heard they aren't bad in a distance run, but are terrible at sprinting.

>>31753
Aphek waits for the right moment, glancing between the two humans. They're mostly keeping their eyes on him. He's reluctant to bolt.
>>
No. 31779 ID: 6164e0

>>31774
\Turn around slowly to talk to them, then as you bring your eyes up to their level, snap them to looking past them, widen the eyes, hunch and whimper all while staring at whatever spot you chose.

when they turn to look, grab your sword and run.
>>
No. 31783 ID: 06fc25

>>31779

They aren't stupid enough to fall for that.

Reread
>>31122
>>
No. 31784 ID: 98dab8

>>31779
Running is an even worse idea now than it was before. We only need to keep them occupied for a bit if Goshen is berserking. Also, they're looking straight at usm they're on their guard.

>>31774
Act all worried that Goshen is moving about and in the sun. Hop up on the wall to get a better look at your surroundings, see if you can't see him.
>>
No. 31786 ID: 7dcac7

>>31774
Wait, who's clawed hand is that from behind the wall?
>>
No. 31787 ID: 7eda8b
File 125074523576.png - (196.47KB , 600x600 , AQ107.png )
31787

>>31786
>Wait, who's clawed hand is that from behind the wall?
>>
No. 31791 ID: 9891a9

>>31787
Commence the kick-ass.

Or the fleeing, although I doubt in his condition Goshen would let Aphek flee.
>>
No. 31794 ID: 2ea804

>>31787
I assume the humans are kinda distracted right now, get your sword and look out for an opportunity for some back stabbing.
But stay out of Goshens way and prepare to run if he tries to attack you.
>>
No. 31809 ID: f4963f

Goshen, if we can give him commands? Go for the armed guy first.

Aphek? Get out of there, shit's about to get ugly.
>>
No. 31810 ID: f44349

>>31787
Oh geeze.
Lookin' pretty RAPE FACE there Goshen.

Aphek: FLEE
...To your sword.
You definitely can't take the humans head on, but a sword in the back is something you COULD do. So as soon as Goshen has their attention get to your sword, hide, and see if you can't find a chance to plant that blade in one of their backs.
...Alternately you could just HIDE. But obtaining a sword is a good idea either way.
>>
No. 31815 ID: 6164e0

>>31787
Right. Get your sword. Don't do anything but fight defensively, but if you see the chance to put the sword in a human's back, do it.

IMMEDIATELY after both humans are dead, put the sword down.
>>
No. 31821 ID: 7eda8b
File 125074800869.png - (129.31KB , 500x500 , AQ108.png )
31821

>>31810
>Aphek: FLEE
Aphek starts running.

>...To your sword.
Aphek will get right on that.
>>
No. 31824 ID: bde1b8

>>31821
Go Aphek go!
>>
No. 31825 ID: 2ea804

>>31821
Did you actually had any combat training yet?
You were rather snippy when we asked earlier, but it's rather important to know right now.
Also do your running and sword getting thing.
>>
No. 31831 ID: 7eda8b
File 125074923213.png - (122.23KB , 500x500 , AQ109.png )
31831

Aphek continues running.

"Control" switches to Goshen.

Please suggest an action.
>>
No. 31832 ID: 476456

MAIM! KILL! BURN!
>>
No. 31833 ID: bde1b8

>>31831
Alright, how much surprise you have determines how ruthless we should be.

If we have surprise, which I think we do, stab the closest human in something vital, like a neck or a gut.

If we don't have surprise, use your spear like a quarterstaff and make a high, wide, sweeping blow at both of them. You'll either drive them back or smack one of them upside the face, hopefully dazing him long enough to take him out with a follow up stab.
>>
No. 31834 ID: fdc826

RIP AND TEAR!
>>
No. 31835 ID: f4963f

Armed one first. Then the hairless. Defeat them. Gloriously.
>>
No. 31836 ID: c80cec

ANOINT THE GROUND WITH THEIR BLOOD
>>
No. 31838 ID: 01383e

>>31831
Hey, here's an idea. Stab one, tear the other in half!
>>
No. 31839 ID: 2ea804

>>31831
Hoot and holler like the crazy monster you are.
Attack what's not running away.
Try to remember that the brown one's your buddy.
>>
No. 31841 ID: a3b36a

>>31836
NO YOU FOOL! WE NEED THE BLOOD! DELICIOUS CRIMSON ELIXIR OF LIFE!
>>
No. 31844 ID: 6faa8c

"YOU ARE HUMAN! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TINY GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!"
>>
No. 31847 ID: 2f86fa

Do the Ooga Booga dance! Do the ooga booga dance!
>>
No. 31850 ID: 98dab8

Necks are vulnerable.
>>
No. 31851 ID: 06fc25

Rape the pretty one.
>>
No. 31852 ID: 87583b

RIP AND TEAR!

STAB AND STRIKE!

LET THE COWARDLY HUMANS REGRET EVER STEPPING FOOT INTO THE TERRITORY OF THE GLORIOUS SILVES EMPIRE! KILL THEM! KILL THEM BOTH!
>>
No. 31855 ID: 6164e0

>>31831


HUMANS. HAIRLESS SACS OF BLOOD AND MEAT.

YOU WANT BLOOD. YOU WANT MEAT.

YOU WANT TO EAT THE HUMANS.

KILL THEM.
>>
No. 31858 ID: 87583b

WHAT IS A HUMAN?

A MISERABLE LITTLE SACK OF BLOOD!
>>
No. 31874 ID: 7eda8b
File 125075301185.png - (159.27KB , 500x500 , AQ110.png )
31874

>>31835
>Armed one first. Then the hairless.
Both have steel drawn.

Goshen can hear the jingle of metal. They are wearing chain mail. Goshen can hear their hearts beating. Blood pumping. Pumping through their veins.

They are afraid. Afraid. Afraid.

The maned one is on his toes. He spins around and defends. He is good. He moves backwards towards the aid of the other meatsack, who hesitantly approaches.

They are so full of precious moisture that it oozes through their skin.
>>
No. 31880 ID: f78140

>>31874
You need to finish this quickly. Make use of your longer reach with the polearm and their fear; stab them in the face, neck, or legs.
>>
No. 31881 ID: 6164e0

>>31874
Push the maned one back/knock him down, then rush past and attack the other directly.

You know what to do with the weak one. So full of blood.
>>
No. 31883 ID: 06fc25
File 125075409313.png - (6.96KB , 300x300 , 1157864243428.png )
31883

>>31874

Goshen, try and remember the basics of CQC.
>>
No. 31884 ID: 98dab8

>>31874
His neck is unprotected by armor, but he has his guard up now. A short hafted feint at his left arm, followed by a stronger jab at his throat.
>>
No. 31887 ID: ad472d

>>31874
If your still kinda sane try to use your reach as advantage.
Do you see what your little buddy's doing?
>>
No. 31894 ID: 0c3284

Why use your spear to draw his precious blood?

Knock his weapon aside with your own and rip at his throat with your teeth.
>>
No. 31898 ID: 7eda8b
File 125075552833.png - (102.93KB , 500x500 , AQ111.png )
31898

Goshen attacks the maned one, but the meat gives up ground and soon is beside the other.

They take turns bleating meaningless syllables.
>>
No. 31899 ID: bde1b8

>>31898
Lunging thrust! And if/when he sidesteps, swing the spear in the direction he dodged. Bash them aside!
>>
No. 31900 ID: f4963f

The hairless one. Go for the hairless one.

Destroy it.
>>
No. 31901 ID: 2f86fa

>>31898
hey, see that one on the right? He called you a weak-boned, cowardly slave.
>>
No. 31902 ID: 6164e0

>>31898
Try and make the maned one move farther from the bald one, and then kill the bald one with a thrust to the throat.

Or even more animalistic, toss your spear at the maned one, rush the bald one in the surprise and tear out his throat. Then spin around, and recalim your spear or take the fallen bald one's sword if necessary.
>>
No. 31903 ID: f44349

>>31898
Launch a flurry of weak blows upon the more experienced one
And then when the weak one thinks you aren't paying him any attention...
SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING lash at him with all your might.
With any luck that should kill him outright.

If not it should at least wound him and put him out of the fight.
Then you can focus on the real threat.
>>
No. 31904 ID: ad472d

Try to keep them together, if they manage to surround you you've got problems.
You should be able to wound them with fast thrusts, maybe try baldy.
What's going on with Aphek? Is he still around or did he flee?
>>
No. 31905 ID: 7dcac7

Goshen, can you speak their language at all?
>>
No. 31913 ID: 98dab8

The one on the right's guard is down. A sudden slash could take him out right now. It'd open you up though, so be prepared to sidestep to the right.
>>
No. 31917 ID: 7eda8b
File 125075814014.png - (151.11KB , 500x500 , AQ12.png )
31917

>>31903
>Launch a flurry of weak blows upon the more experienced one
>And then when the weak one thinks you aren't paying him any attention...
Goshen does so, catching him off guard. He stabs the human through the torso. His spear destroys chain, cloth, flesh, and bone. Blood boils out from the wound like sweet nectar.

>>31905
>Goshen, can you speak their language at all?
The sounds they make mean nothing to Goshen.

...Goshen's weapon is stuck!
>>
No. 31919 ID: 476456

STUCK? NAY, THE HUMAN IS A PART OF YOUR WEAPON NOW. BRING HIS WEIGHT TO BEAR UPON THE LONG HAIRED ONE.
>>
No. 31921 ID: f78140

use what you were born with to tear the other one apart while it is still shocked. if it tries to hit you with it's sword, break it's arm with your jaw.
>>
No. 31922 ID: f44349

>>31917
Gah! There is no time!
The dying one had a sword! Take it!
>>
No. 31923 ID: 6164e0

>>31917
What do you call the claws on your limbs, the fangs in your mouth? You will never be without weapons.

And now, while he is still thinking of you as a ranged fighter, you have the element of surprise for such an attempt. You must be swift, and you can tear his throat out before he realizes you let go of the spear.
>>
No. 31924 ID: ad472d

>>31919
I know Khorne is insane, but it might actually work.
The human's probably shocked for a second. Keep your grip on the spear and circle around the stabbed one so he ends up between you and the other one.
When the maned one approaches push the spear thought your victim and make human shish kebab.
If that doesn't work let go of the spear and try to get another weapon, maybe APHEK stands somewhere with a convenient sword or something.
>>
No. 31926 ID: 7eda8b
File 125076143868.png - (170.02KB , 500x500 , AQ113.png )
31926

>>31919
>STUCK? NAY, THE HUMAN IS A PART OF YOUR WEAPON NOW. BRING HIS WEIGHT TO BEAR UPON THE LONG HAIRED ONE.

Goshen is laughing.
>>
No. 31927 ID: 06fc25

Laughter is the best medicine.

Stab him in right shoulder and pin him to the ground. Break his arms and start eating, beginning with his toes.
>>
No. 31928 ID: ad472d

>>31927
Stab him through his friend, but watch out for his sword.
Be prepared to let go and dodge.
>>
No. 31929 ID: 7dcac7

>>31926
OK, we've minimized the threat. I doubt this is gonna get through, but we actually might be able to take this one out while leaving him alive enough to have Aphek pump him for info.

If this doesn't get through however: Thrust spear all the way through the first one, now, and impale the one with the hair. Do not eat until they are both good and dead.
>>
No. 31930 ID: a3b36a

>>31929
>Do not eat until they are both good and dead.

Nonsense! Everyone knows things taste best when it's still writhing and screaming!
>>
No. 31931 ID: 7eda8b
File 125076363381.png - (182.32KB , 600x600 , AQ114.png )
31931

Goshen tries stabbing all the way through, but the massive weight on the end makes his weapon far too unwieldy. It distracts the enemy for a moment, however.

A moment is all Goshen needs.
>>
No. 31932 ID: 7dcac7

>>31930
Not when they are armed with a weapon they can still use, or may be armed with other weapons we don't see.
>>
No. 31933 ID: 7dcac7

>>31931
Goodbye, foolish human.
>>
No. 31934 ID: 767e48

>>31931
RIP. AND TEAR!
>>
No. 31935 ID: 7eda8b
File 125076426654.png - (138.15KB , 600x600 , AQ115.png )
31935

>>
No. 31936 ID: bde1b8

>>31935
Feast upon them.
>>
No. 31937 ID: 06fc25

>>31935

Over the lips and past the gums,
Look out stomach, here it comes.
>>
No. 31938 ID: ad472d

>>31935
Only thing left to do is savoring your well deserved meal and maybe snapping out of your rage.
>>
No. 31939 ID: 767e48

>>31935
Confirm the dudes are dead.
If they are,
victory dance.
>>
No. 31940 ID: a3b36a

Satisfy your thirst. Fill your hunger. Oblige any carnal desires you may find upon your mind.
>>
No. 31941 ID: 7eda8b
File 125076532982.png - (123.54KB , 500x500 , AQ116.png )
31941

>>
No. 31945 ID: 7eda8b
File 125076573887.png - (90.15KB , 600x600 , AQ117.png )
31945

>>
No. 31963 ID: f98e0b

...wow
>>
No. 31971 ID: 01383e

>>31931
>>31838
>stab one, tear the other in half

Guys, I think he took my advice!
>>
No. 31983 ID: 7d87d9

CHOSEN OF THE GOD!
>>
No. 31986 ID: 6164e0

Hey Goshen!

We have two freshly dead bodies now, and it is he beginning of the day. After you have eaten from them enough to sate your hunger and thirst, flay off as many strips of flesh as you can, and start curing it as jerky.

You know you want human jerky, and it will be handy to actually have preserved foods that you can eat.
>>
No. 32000 ID: 01383e

>>31986
first squeeze the jerky for fluid
>>
No. 32025 ID: 64f8ae

Berserker packin' Sergal and a half!
>>
No. 32074 ID: 67c611

>>31945
Now, feast. You've earned it.

Aphek. Don't approach Goshen until he has finished eating and gone to sleep. Don't even let him see you.
>>
No. 32097 ID: 64f8ae

if I was Aphek I'd take this time to go and "explore the ruins," prefereably far away where he cant' find us.
>>
No. 32583 ID: 7eda8b
File 125090566680.png - (118.07KB , 500x500 , AQ118.png )
32583

Control switches to Aphek.

>>32074
>Aphek. Don't approach Goshen until he has finished eating and gone to sleep. Don't even let him see you.
Aphek can only guess how long it will take Goshen to go to sleep. Aphek runs for awhile, and returns some time later. The sun is higher in the sky. The site looks different.

Aphek can't see the northerner from here.
>>
No. 32585 ID: 476456

I'm guessing he's over by the center statue.
>>
No. 32587 ID: 06fc25

>>32583

Did you remember what that insignia on Goshen's helmet means yet?
>>
No. 32588 ID: db4c24

Try to find out where Goshen is and what he's doing.
But be very careful about it and be prepared to run away again.
He might be at the statue, at least there seems to be some blood there.
>>
No. 32592 ID: 2abfb1

>>32583
Investigate the human corpses. They probably have water and rations. And weren't they getting water from a cache of before they spotted you?
>>
No. 32595 ID: 7eda8b
File 125090684399.png - (119.29KB , 500x500 , AQ119.png )
32595

>>32585
>I'm guessing he's over by the center statue.
.... looks like no.

Good guess, though.

>>32587
>Did you remember what that insignia on Goshen's helmet means yet?
Aphek didn't forget. He just never knew. Not until he overheard the humans talking about it. They called him a 'Vanguard Raider.' Aphek has heard of the Silvoran Vanguard. The national elites of Tatola, formed by the veterans of Rain's bodyguard unit in the wake of her disappearance half a century ago.

The one human, the one without a face now, indicated that Raiders are a further elite echelon of that organization, though Aphek does not know their specific purpose, beyond 'raiding things,' obviously.
>>
No. 32596 ID: 1afd58

>>32595
Well, you've got to be thirsty. Might want to try for that water the humans said was still around.
>>
No. 32598 ID: db4c24

Can you smell Goshen with all blood and smoke or maybe hear him. Finding out what's going on with him should be our first priority.
He looked rather dangerous when we've seen him the last time.
If you don't find him soon, go somewhere with a good overview and call out his name. Maybe he'll show up then.
>>
No. 32599 ID: bffa2a

>>32595

... Oh. Mayby you should give serious bloody consideration on just getting your bag, filling your canteens and running as far away as you can. In fact mayby you should do it now before he smells your delicious blood.
>>
No. 32600 ID: 06fc25

>>32595

Do a kooky little dance in front of the heads. That's what they get for being such sanctimonious pricks.

They wanted to see "wolfsharks". Well, hopefully they got a real good look in the few seconds Goshen allowed them to live.
>>
No. 32603 ID: 7d87d9

Consider the possibilities: The chance of being a slave to a decent master and living out your life.

Or following this... maniac and risking him killing you as you sleep. Either way you need him to be with you until you get to civilization.
>>
No. 32632 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091061594.png - (38.16KB , 350x350 , AQ120.png )
32632

>>32600
>Do a kooky little dance in front of the heads. That's what they get for being such sanctimonious pricks.
That... hardly seems like appropriate behavior for this sort of situation.
>>
No. 32633 ID: f98e0b

>>32632
Just do it
>>
No. 32634 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091075340.png - (38.17KB , 350x350 , AQ121.png )
32634

...
>>
No. 32635 ID: 1afd58

>>32634
Get water. Dancing is a waste of energy.
>>
No. 32636 ID: 6164e0

>>32603
Why do you call him a maniac?

Sure, he butchered these humans, and he is not at all kind, but remember, he called us an ally. He said he wouldn't eat us unless he really had to, and with wo bodies like that, there is no reason to be afraid. Sure his abrupt revival was startling, but he is still Goshen, and won't try and kill you.
>>
No. 32638 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091086471.png - (145.98KB , 500x500 , AQ122.png )
32638

"Ahahahaha! Youuuuuuuuuuuu're dead!

And Iiiiiiiiiiiiii'm not!

And yoooooooou got chopped up!

And Iiiiiiiiii didn't!"

Even in Vilouan, that doesn't rhyme.
>>
No. 32639 ID: 6164e0

>>32634
Anyway, lets go get our assorted containers for water filled to the brim (empty out the booze ones too if there is enough water), and lets check thaat bundle of stuff more thoroughly, and see what else we can scavenge.
>>
No. 32640 ID: 1afd58

>>32638
Weeeeelll.... I guess it's ok to be happy.

But you might want to stop before someone sees you.
>>
No. 32642 ID: 06fc25

Ok, fine. No kooky dance.

Gather up what gear you can find, and find some water. Keep an eye out for Goshen, humans, or Talyxians.
>>
No. 32643 ID: db4c24

>>32636
But we still have to be careful. He seemed kinda weird and we don't want to get killed by accident.
>>32638
Dammit, is that your version of going crazy by dehydration? Better get some water in you.
>>
No. 32645 ID: 7d87d9

Find all available waterskins and drink as fill as much as possible. Also see if you're any good with what you found off the Humans.
>>
No. 32661 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091327296.png - (95.29KB , 500x500 , AQ123.png )
32661

>>32642
>Gather up what gear you can find, and find some water.
Aphek saw the humans at a supply cache earlier. This surely contains water, rations, and who knows what else. The humans also set their packs down before accessing it, so those might be around too.

...

Aphek approaches the trap door. Their packs are gone. In their place is what appears to be fresh meat being smoked over a small fire, on a drying rack made from strips of destroyed chainmail, metal, and bones.

This gives Aphek pause, though Goshen is still nowhere to be seen.
>>
No. 32664 ID: db4c24

Maybe try to call for Goshen, apparently he's sane enough again to build a drying rack. Probably means he won't eat you.
If that doesn't help, investigate the trap door.
>>
No. 32665 ID: f4963f

... he's not behind you, right? Make sure he's not right behind you.

Anyway, failing that, you might want to call for him. But get ready to run like hell if he's still got a crazed look in his eyes.
>>
No. 32676 ID: 7dcac7

>>32664
He did make it out of BONES, mind you.
>>
No. 32678 ID: 7eda8b
File 12509153789.png - (64.04KB , 350x350 , AQ124.png )
32678

>>32665
>... he's not behind you, right? Make sure he's not right behind you.
No matter which way Aphek turns, he can't shake the feeling.

>Anyway, failing that, you might want to call for him.
Aphek walks around a bit, and calls for Goshen.

>>32676
>He did make it out of BONES, mind you.
...but not that loudly.
>>
No. 32682 ID: 6164e0

>>32678
Oh come on, was he going to waste precious wood?

Besides, he used metal bits too, it was just more practical to use bones for parts of it.

Probably.

Anyway, think of this:

Where would a northerner be most sheltered from the day's heat? He is probably just relaxing there, possibly still getting all the blood and gore off himself.

Remember, unlike you, he isn't as well built for desert conditions, and during the day, cool, shady places will proabably be spots of interest to him.
>>
No. 32683 ID: db4c24

>>32682
Maybe that trap door thing. If it's a big cellar room it might be nice and cold down there.
>>
No. 32684 ID: f4963f

>>32683
This. You should probably knock on the trap door and back up a bit first, to see if there's any response. Don't want to get a face full of pike.
>>
No. 32685 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091620151.png - (56.34KB , 350x350 , AQ125.png )
32685

>>32682
>Remember, unlike you, he isn't as well built for desert conditions, and during the day, cool, shady places will proabably be spots of interest to him.
There's plenty of shady spots. Goshen isn't in any of them.

Oh gods. Aphek's been left alone.
>>
No. 32687 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091631043.png - (106.78KB , 500x500 , AQ126.png )
32687

One thing's for sure. Aphek is very thirsty.

>>32683
>If it's a big cellar room it might be nice and cold down there.
Now that you m
>>
No. 32688 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091638321.png - (113.11KB , 500x500 , AQ127.png )
32688

AAAAAH!
>>
No. 32691 ID: 7eda8b
File 125091679097.png - (112.93KB , 500x500 , AQ128.png )
32691

"G-Goshen?"

"Yeah," says Goshen.

"What are you doing down there?"

"Well, I was sleeping. Now I'm awake."

"You scared the piss out of me."

"You ain't got the water to piss," says Goshen.

"Ah," Aphek says. "About that..."

"Yeah, there's water here," says Goshen. "And yeah, you can have some. I've been kinda nursing a cask since you left. Feel horrible. Little better than before, though."
>>
No. 32692 ID: db4c24

>>32691
Sounds sane enough for me, go down there and get some water.
Ask Goshen what happened while you were gone.
>>
No. 32693 ID: 6164e0

>>32691
Good to hear, then.

Ask him if he minds if we start checking what the humans and the supply caske had to find out what we have available to us.

Also apologize for not being too much help in the fight, but you figured that as things were you would just get in the way. Be honest, so he knows you weren't running from cowardice.
>>
No. 32707 ID: 7eda8b
File 125092004051.png - (142.13KB , 500x500 , AQ129.png )
32707

>>32693
>Ask him if he minds if we start checking what the humans and the supply caske had to find out what we have available to us.

"Already did," replies Goshen.

"More water than we can carry," he specifies. "And lots of food, but none to eat."

Aphek pokes his head down.

"Listen, Goshen..." he says. "I'm sorry I ran. I just didn't think I was going to be much help. I wasn't just being a coward."

Goshen stares at the floor. Aphek isn't certain if he heard him.

"Were you running from them, or me?" the northerner asks.

He seems distant, his mood dark. It's quite unalike him. Even on the verge of dying of thirst, Goshen remained adamantly nonchalant.
>>
No. 32714 ID: 6164e0

>>32707
'I won't deny that you seemed somewhat intimidating at the moment, but they meant to kill us. I see no reason to dislike how you dealt with them. Still, I have to admit being surprised. How did you change your eye color like that?'

Don't act afraid of him, act curious as a friend. He probably needs it.
>>
No. 32715 ID: 6164e0

>>32707
'And what do you mean by "lots of food, but none to eat"? Are there no preserved meats for you?'
>>
No. 32720 ID: 7eda8b
File 125092236765.png - (141.58KB , 500x500 , AQ130.png )
32720

>>32714
"I ran cause it was dangerous," Aphek says. "They threatened to chop my dick off if I didn't fess up."

That seems to distract Goshen, at least.

"Heh. Alright," he says. "That's a pretty good excuse. I'll buy that."

Goshen's eyes are still green. Aphek... thinks they were green before. Just not THAT green. They certainly seem darker now. Perhaps it's the light?

>>32715
"Uh... Why can't you eat the food?" Aphek asks. "There's gotta be SOME meat here."

"No," says Goshen. "Not one bit. Not a speck. Not a crumb."

Aphek is confused. Nearly every species in these parts eats meat. Every species they've seen amongst the bandits, for certain. Of course, the only purely carnivorous species around is northern sergals. Even gnolls can manage a diet of plants.

"On the bright side," says Goshen, "There was a silver Florin here, and ten denars. The humans had another twenty two denars."

Aphek considers. A florin is worth ten denars, and they came here with the eleven copper denars Aphek had managed to hide.

"Fifty three worth," Aphek says. "Not bad."

Goshen shrugs. A big, well trained northerner like him could earn that much in under a week. It would take Aphek two months.

"So," Goshen begins carefully. "What do YOU think is going on here?"
>>
No. 32728 ID: 476456

Explain the uh banditry drop off cache dealie the humans were talking about.
>>
No. 32739 ID: 6164e0

>>32720
Lets get that brain working, Aphek!

Hrm. Many possibilities. First and foremost, the humans remarked on some sort of caravan refilling the water. That plus the lack of any meat based food (strange for any sergal or gnoll supply point), and the fact the humans even are here (or aware of how the place gets resupplied), suggest a problem. It is highly likely that this is some sort of supply chain for human ventures into the region, or some sort of joint venture.

'I think some group without any sergals in it that those two humans were part of has a supply point set up here. The humans even remarked that a caravan had topped off the water hear. I don't imagine that a small number of individuals are involved in this. They mentioned bandits dropping off goods here for some Lord, although I have no idea who this lord could be. Certainly sounds like there is some money involved in this, so if we need more money, following this discovery might lead to opportunities for wealth. After all, if there are non-sergal raiders operating around here, I imagine that we should make them pay a toll'

Give your best attempt at a Sergal shark grin.

That plus the potential for loot and bloodshed of the patriotic sort should cheer Goshen right up. That's like half of his checklist for a great adventure right there!
>>
No. 32750 ID: 7eda8b
File 125092436213.png - (142.18KB , 500x500 , AQ131.png )
32750

>>32728
>Explain the uh banditry drop off cache dealie the humans were talking about.
Aphek conveys what he overheard. Goshen is silent for some time.

"Those men I killed had the seal of House Terminus, of Solaris," says Goshen. "I was worried they were rogues fleeing their kingdom. Now I'm worried they weren't."

He finally looks up.

"I'm worried something big's going on."

Aphek isn't sure how to respond.
>>
No. 32754 ID: 476456

Clamber down with him and ask him to explain before the blood rushes to your head and you fall in.
>>
No. 32761 ID: 6164e0

>>32750
'Well, while this doesn't look very related to the people you are hunting, it does seem to be very involved with money. And to hunt down your foes, we are going to need more money. So it stands to reason that continuing to investigate this plot could well yield more foes to kill and more wealth to plunder. Certainly sounds like a worthwhile adventure.'
>>
No. 32767 ID: 01383e

wait, no food? what about the humans?
>>
No. 32779 ID: 6164e0

>>32767
I think he meant no preserved meats or organs (what northern sergals need, being carnivores) were in the food supplies, just dried fruits/vegatables, or other more easily preserved foods than meat.
>>
No. 32790 ID: 7eda8b
File 125092744244.png - (146.73KB , 500x500 , AQ132.png )
32790

>>32754
>Clamber down with him and ask him to explain before the blood rushes to your head and you fall in.
Aphek climbs in and lets the blood rush out of his head. He closes the trap door behind him. It's much cooler in here. He's also not going to be showing his junk off to anyone sneaking around above, this way.

>>32739
>It is highly likely that this is some sort of supply chain for human ventures into the region, or some sort of joint venture.

"Something big..." Aphek says, repeating Goshen's words and turning them over in his head.

"Human bannermen," Aphek continues. "Elves and gnolls working alongside southern freedom fighters."

Goshen doesn't seem to note Aphek's choice of words.

"And Shadran," he says instead.

"And Shadran," says Aphek.
>>
No. 32799 ID: 6164e0

>>32790
'either way, it looks like pursuing this will garner us more info on those who attacked you. But do we want to try and camp out here, head on to fort ji (which has to be close by now), or should we try and follow the human tracks backward to their source?'

We need Goshen to get back into his role as leader (of a group of two, I know, but still), and giving him a more simplified choice like this should help.

Whatever way we go about this, lets make sure to fill all your containers for water (empty out the skins with booze in them as well, and check among the supplies for more containers.

Also, Aphek should assess the foods and other goods here, his past as a slave bringing goods around might give him some rough idea of what goods are valuable enough to warrent carrying to Ji for sale.
>>
No. 32803 ID: f78140

>>32790
now would be a good time to start trusting goshen. consider:
he's eaten sergal before, but rather than eat you, he walked until he passed out from water dehydration.
when he went started fighting, he didn't chase you down afterwards, he took care of things for later.
he's still willing to talk with you, even after you ran away. in fact, he's ready to even ask your opinion on things.

all these things indicate that you should trust him back. after all, trust has to be mutual.
>>
No. 32835 ID: be2f04

If there's some undercover operation going on we should try to cover our tracks here, assuming that's even possible, and proceed as fast as possible to Fort Ji and report it.
Or are we, as a southerners, maybe sympathetic to someone who goes against the Empire? We have to consider our loyalties here. Goshen seems to be ok, but our people are still oppressed by the greys.
>>
No. 32839 ID: 7eda8b
File 125093201866.png - (147.08KB , 500x500 , AQ133.png )
32839

>>32799
"Could be nothing," Goshen says. "Or could be something big."

Goshen tosses Aphek a filled waterskin. It tastes fresh and cool, washing the dust from the sergal's mouth.

"Either way. I'll make sure to tell the commander of Fort Ji," says the northerner.

>Also, Aphek should assess the foods and other goods here, his past as a slave bringing goods around might give him some rough idea of what goods are valuable enough to warrent carrying to Ji for sale.
Aphek hasn't done a complete inventory, but the most valuable things here are almost certainly the swords and the whiskey. The chainmail would be quite valuable, but Goshen has largely ruined both sets.

>>32803
>all these things indicate that you should trust him back. after all, trust has to be mutual.
Aphek sees this. It's hard not to hate Goshen, but they've saved one another's lives. They're in this together. Goshen's shown him trust in spite of his failures. Perhaps it is time to return the favor.

"You're not going to pursue this yourself?" Aphek asks. "The humans recognized your insignia. You're a Vanguard. I'm told there's more to that than killing gnolls to sell their swords."

"Hrm," says Goshen. Aphek tries a more specific approach.

"So, what'll it be? Head off after the human tracks while they're fresh, or wait until dusk and head south, like normal?"

"I'm tired," says Goshen. "And we've finally got meat and water. I'm going to rest until nightfall. Danger and all."

"And then?"

"Then I'll decide what we're doing next."
>>
No. 32848 ID: 7eda8b
File 125093298938.png - (147.03KB , 500x500 , AQ134.png )
32848

>>32835
Aphek wonders if he's just made a mistake by helping motivate Goshen. Why should he want to save the Empire? What about it is worth saving? Has Shadran's cruelty and Goshen's aid made him lose sight of the big picture?

Even as he contemplates, he and his enemy share water.

Aphek just decided to trust Goshen a moment ago, and he already suspects it was a mistake. He doesn't know what to do.

He knows, however, that tonight may be his last chance to betray the grey and keep the extent of the bandit operation a secret.

Goshen's saved his life at least twice already. Aphek could never live with himself if he did such a thing, but this is so much bigger than himself.
>>
No. 32855 ID: 7dcac7

>>32848
Betrayal is a nasty thing to be known for. Trust is one of the hardest things to build up. Don't go breaking it now.

Besides, if this is kept a secret, alot of innocent people, both northern and southern, could get hurt. Or did those humans really seem that much more sympathetic to your "Worker type wolf-sharks"?
>>
No. 32857 ID: 8e18cd

>>32848

Try to remember... how did the 'bandits' treat you?

Didn't they use you as a bait?
>>
No. 32859 ID: be2f04

>>32848
It's the choice between the masters you already know and masters that might be better or maybe even worse.
How bad are your people treated by the northerners? Is it really worth the risk to be part in a bloody war just to trade them for elves or humans. Or even Talyxians, considering your experiences with Shadran.
>>
No. 32903 ID: 87583b

No. Don't betray Goshen.

The empire might be pretty bad for a southerner to live in but it's the buffer keeping a load of humans and elves out of sailzane, and in time the living conditions of southerners may change. Judging by the humans and the other races you've met so far, life is much better with the northerners than it would be with everyone else that just considers your kind another monster to kill without reason or remorse.
>>
No. 32910 ID: 6164e0

>>32848
Goshen has kept his word to you, has he not? He has gone to great lengths to avoid having to eat you, and sure, he may be a bit strict on what he expects out of us, but then, he expects the same or more out of himself, and he hasn't belittled, abused or beaten us, even when we ran away (for legitimate reasons) from his fight earlier.

Plus, this is the guy who said he would free us. Seeing as how he has kept his other promises to you, he will probably free you later. So really, even if you aren't that big of a fan of the northerners as a group, at least Goshen has been fair with you, hasn't abused you and has kept his word.

Besides, whereas Goshen has endeavored to improve you and to keep you alive (just as you have done the same for him), Shadran staked you to the ground as bait for traps, threatened us with death should we not stay silent. Comparing the two leaves Goshen the clear better person to follow.

Besides, even if the bandit plot is hurting the northerners, it is very likely it is hurting other southerners as well. These people aren't noble thieves, stealing for justice like some sort of fairy tail, they are stealing and acting for a clear alterier motive (even if you don't know what that motive is yet).



Aside: Say Aphek, how about the helmet from the one human, both of their capes, their swords and their boots? I have heard that decently cobbled shoes for humans or large pieces of cloth with designs can be reasonably valuable, and weapons that aren't in piss-poor condition are always worth something. And the helmet of the one might fit you (even if it does not, if it didn't get damaged it should be worth something). So maybe you should check the corpses, and see what items they possess are undamaged from Goshen's feeding.
>>
No. 32951 ID: f78140

>>32848
this is the perfect spot for you to start training: there is plenty of food for goshen, and even more that you could eat, and there is an excess of water.
also, dehydration takes more than just a day's worth of water to recover from, so goshen should rest at least another day or two.
given he's up but theoretically not recovered, he could teach you some basic swordplay and then resume resting, while you practice your sword skills on a pell.
>>
No. 32954 ID: 6faa8c

Wait a second.

Has anyone here read Small Gods?
>>
No. 32956 ID: fdc826

>>32954
I haven't.

Why?
>>
No. 32957 ID: 6faa8c

>>32956
Well, I'm not sure if it's relevant...

In the book, there's two nations. One is religious, the other is founded on philosiphers, essentially. The two are seperated by a huge desert. The religious one wants to attack the philosipher nation, but they can't do it by boat, so they have to go by desert. A small band goes a a ways in, leaves a store of water, and comes back.
Then another goes further and does the same. And again, and again, until there's a trail big enough for an army to arrive from the unprotected desert side of the other kingdom....
>>
No. 32960 ID: 6faa8c

>>32956
By the way, it's an AMAZING book, and a great read. pick it up if you ever see it.
>>
No. 32961 ID: 6164e0

Oh, we finally have access to cloth, we can craft headwraps and other objects to batter facilitate easier survival in the desert.
>>
No. 33033 ID: f37d07

>>32961
Sergals have sufficient hair that that shouldn't be necessary.
>>
No. 33036 ID: 476456

Well. IF you're going to try and sway him to see things your way you're probably going to have to be friends with him anyway.
>>
No. 33091 ID: 571eb4

Tell Goshen that you've got an idea for how to get him some protein on the journey out of the desert that doesn't involve you getting killed. :3c
>>
No. 34275 ID: 7eda8b
File 12511793312.png - (29.84KB , 400x400 , AQ135.png )
34275

>>33091
>Tell Goshen that you've got an idea for how to get him some protein on the journey out of the desert that doesn't involve you getting killed. :3c

Aphek has had some very strange thoughts flit through his head in the last few days...
>>
No. 34276 ID: 7eda8b
File 125117936872.png - (72.41KB , 400x400 , AQ136.png )
34276

...but this one is definitely the worst.
>>
No. 34279 ID: 7eda8b
File 125117962134.png - (32.32KB , 500x500 , AQ137.png )
34279

The sergals sleep unsoundly.

Control switches to Goshen.

It is now night.

Time to wake up.
>>
No. 34280 ID: 87583b

Five more minutes...

Rest for five more minutes.
>>
No. 34283 ID: 6faa8c

Gather as much water as you can carry. After that, drink as much of the rest as you can.
>>
No. 34289 ID: f78140

>>34279
time's burning. more people will be here eventually, but until then this is the perfect time to start training Aphek, like you said you would. Better for next time, so he'll help instead of running away. Besides, there's plenty of food for him, and you passed out from dehydration earlier. You need at least another day of rest to recover. Show him how to do some basic sword drills, and have him practice on a stone pillar with one of the extra swords, then get some more rest.
>>
No. 34290 ID: 476456

Wake up aphek.


...with your tongue
>>
No. 34293 ID: 6164e0

Okay Goshen, get up.

You had remarked on getting used to doing difficult things before, and with all the shit you have suffered through because you must, getting up should nothing.

Now, remember to stretch thoroughly as you rise to get your blood flowing.

So Goshen, do you feel like heading to Fort Ji, or do you have a different destination in mind right now?


And if you do head to Fort Ji, bring the human's swords, the bald one's helmt and whatever cloth isn't torn up too small. All are goods that should sell well.
>>
No. 34295 ID: 40540c

>>34279
I'd say we start marching to Fort Ji as soon as possible.
First look for Aphek and see if he used the day to pack our stuff. If not, yell at him and do it now, in the absolute darkness.
I think we should smash the water barrels after drinking and storing what we can, would be a bad surprise for the bandits.
>>
No. 34301 ID: a0aa05

Wake up Aphek.

...with your spear.
>>
No. 34305 ID: 87583b

>>34301
Which spear?

:3c

:3c

...*shot*
>>
No. 34312 ID: a0aa05
File 125118123633.png - (6.15KB , 166x167 , nnnno.png )
34312

>>34305
>>
No. 34327 ID: 7eda8b
File 125118247164.png - (50.93KB , 500x500 , AQ138.png )
34327

Goshen forces himself up and climbs outside. It's a moonless night.

>>34289
>You need at least another day of rest to recover.
Indeed, Goshen has not really recovered. Nevertheless, he's confident he can get a night's marching in if he pushes himself. He really doesn't feel inclined, but the bandits all know about this place. It's only a matter of time before they come here.

If he faces someone like the orange-eyed talyxian in his present state, he will lose.

>>34293
>So Goshen, do you feel like heading to Fort Ji, or do you have a different destination in mind right now?
Towns and villages, even roadside inns, line the edge of the desert, and they're not usually hostile to sergals. Fort Ji is the obvious choice, but they have been traveling at night without any landmarks. Goshen can't be sure where they are. At this point, he'll be happy just getting out of this desert alive and not in chains.

>train aphek
Goshen thinks it will take at least a few weeks of good, constant effort before Aphek improves enough to matter. The southerner has definitely used a sword before, just not enough to be any good at it.

>Wake up aphek with your tongue
That's disgusting. He's a dustback.
>>
No. 34330 ID: 476456

He's your dustback~
>>
No. 34334 ID: 6164e0

>>34327
Say Goshen, your eyes don't seem to be green anymore. Do you have any idea what was up with that?

Also, you are close to Fort Ji (according to everything we have been told from maps and whatnot), and bandits are going to come here eventually. So you might want to head out to Fort Ji now.
>>
No. 34335 ID: 40540c

>>34327
I'd say we have to get away from this place, just in case.
Try to get out of the desert as soon as possible, we'll see what happens then. Training can Aphek can wait. Why do you think he used a sword before, ask him about that.
>>
No. 34336 ID: 6164e0

>>34334
Or at least in a southernly direction to get out of the desert, even for a little while.
>>
No. 34338 ID: f78140

>>34327
confidence helps. and there might not be another opportunity laced with danger. if stuff he learns or practices now he'll less likely to forget when the danger is around, as he'll have learned it during danger.
pushing yourself after you collapsed yesterday is a bad choice: only leave if you absolutely have to.
>>
No. 34363 ID: 7eda8b
File 125118903870.png - (303.08KB , 800x800 , AQ139.png )
34363

Goshen takes a few minutes to do a quick mental tally of available equipment and supplies. There's far more water and plant-matter rations than they can carry.

Goshen has 53 Denars worth of currency, and has amassed a good deal of value in goods.

Values are Goshen's estimates. These fluctuate greatly based on market, salesmanship, and so forth.

This also doesn't include things like scraps of blood-stained cloth and wood, which no one would be crazy enough to pay Goshen money for.
>>
No. 34364 ID: 6faa8c

Excellent.

With luck, we're set!
>>
No. 34366 ID: ae213b

>>34363
Before we hit civilization again, ask Aphek if there are people around which might claim ownership on him. Maybe check his ears for tattoos.
I think we should smash the barrels if they belong to the bandits. Try to cover your tracks, if that's even possible in the desert.
>>
No. 34382 ID: 448a65

>>34363

You take Aphek off that list right now mister!
>>
No. 34384 ID: 1afd58

>>34382
Why?

Goshen is more important. He's faster, stronger, and better trained.

Aphek is a broken-in slave, and worth a fair amount. Alive, he consumes rations and water, and actually just costs money.

It's a sad thing, but it is true that it's entirely more practical to hock him.
>>
No. 34386 ID: 448a65

>>34384

I know, but someone needs to play the sympathetic voice here, and I'm sure if we play things carefully, we won't get into a situation where we "have" to sell him.

Besides, someone might pay to know the location of all those plant rations or be led to them, maybe.
>>
No. 34404 ID: 6164e0

>>34363
Huh. I would have figured that since this is a desert, cloth would be in relatively high demand (I think that was mentioned early in the first quest too), and at least the two human's capes should be at worst just a bit bloodied.

But if they can't be sold, then whatever.
>>
No. 34441 ID: f4963f

>>34363
D'awww, Aphek's expression. XD

Better for you to be well-rested, Goshen. Also, it may take a couple of weeks for Aphek to get good, but it wouldn't hurt to get him started. He's saved your life at least once, possibly twice now. You can't buy that kind of loyalty.
>>
No. 34446 ID: d2ea61

>>34441

Yes you can. It costs aproximately as much as a trained bodyguard.
>>
No. 34643 ID: 86dd76

>>34446
Which is then contingent on further money.
All we need to give Aphek is food and treat him like a people, or at least pretend to.
>>
No. 34819 ID: 64d98f

Wow. That's a lot of florins.

And you guys are really annoying about AphekxGoshen.



....hmmmmmmm.
>>
No. 34821 ID: 448a65

>>34819

I've learnt to expect it now.
>>
No. 34847 ID: 64d98f
File 125125659325.png - (3.46KB , 264x137 , ohuguyz.png )
34847

>>34821
That's the problem. We shouldn't have to.
>>
No. 34861 ID: cde660
File 125125706998.png - (4.82KB , 256x224 , cool story bro.png )
34861

>>34819
>And you guys are really annoying about AphekxGoshen.
>>34847
>>
No. 34863 ID: 448a65

>>34847
>>34861

(Hush you two, no fighting in someone's quest)
>>
No. 34945 ID: 7eda8b
File 125126438916.png - (59.19KB , 450x450 , AQ140.png )
34945

>leave tonight
Goshen wakes up Aphek. The two fumble around for awhile. They're pretty sure they've gotten most everything. Just gotta collect the dried meat from one of the fires, and the Spathas if they're carrying those.

>Say Goshen, your eyes don't seem to be green anymore.
Huh?

>>34366
>Before we hit civilization again, ask Aphek if there are people around which might claim ownership on him.

"Soo..." Goshen begins nonchalantly. "Anyone gonna be claiming you at For Ji?"

"Uh. No," Aphek says. He sounds a little worried, though it could just be the unusually dark night. "The odds are definitely very low," he adds.

>check his ears for tattoos
It's too dark for Goshen to even see his map, much less pick through Aphek's earfluff for tattoos.
>>
No. 34947 ID: 7eda8b
File 125126470090.png - (101.77KB , 500x500 , AQ141.png )
34947

>>34366
>I think we should smash the barrels if they belong to the bandits.
Goshen thinks he could do that. He could probably set the supplies on fire, too. He has a flint, tinder, and high-proof alcohol.

>Try to cover your tracks, if that's even possible in the desert.
It kinda isn't.
>>
No. 34948 ID: b8687a

BURN IT ALL IN A HUGE GLORIOUS FIRE WHILE THANKING THE BRUTAL GENERAL FOR YOUR SUCCESS IN RECENT COMBAT!
>>
No. 34966 ID: 6164e0

>>34947
Burn/destroy anything that you can't bring with you. It would please the Governer-General, were she here.

Then head out to Fort Ji/South in general.

On the way, tell Aphek that he can choose between using one or two swords, but that he has to have a decision by the time we get to some form of camp/fort/whatever.
>>
No. 34967 ID: 7eda8b
File 125126664572.png - (139.24KB , 500x500 , AQ142.png )
34967

Goshen cracks open the lids of the casks and has a drink with Aphek. This way the soot will spoil the water, but the water won't put out the fire until everything's burnt.

And... Ignition!

Giving thanks to the General seems a bit much, though. Goshen thinks the heads were thanks enough. Goshen thinks Sergal society might be too fixated on her legacy.

He's also more than a little uncomfortable with what he can remember of the fight.

The fire is small, but growing fast. It makes Goshen feel better.
>>
No. 34968 ID: 87583b

>>34967
You pussy.
>>
No. 34969 ID: f4963f

>>34967
Alright, get a move on.
>>
No. 34970 ID: 6164e0

Ok, traveling time again (hopefully we can actually spend some time at Ji or wherever we end up not starving/marching/fighting while exhausted).

And on the trek, I know that the memories of the fight with the human and the... dream before hand are somewhat unsettling, but think back to your training: Do you remember what kind of warrior neglects to know himself?

The dead kind.

So painful memories or not, you should really ponder what happened there.
>>
No. 34971 ID: 7eda8b
File 125126763681.png - (40.74KB , 500x500 , AQ143.png )
34971

Goshen collects the jerky. It smells good.

>>34970
>So painful memories or not, you should really ponder what happened there.
Goshen has thought about it. It's just difficult. He's killed people before, but never felt like this. He can only remember flashes. And talking to something that wasn't there...

Presently, Goshen arrives at the statue for the Spathas.

That's strange. He could have sworn he left them here.
>>
No. 34974 ID: 7dcac7

Ready your weapon in case someone is there.
>>
No. 34975 ID: 6164e0

>>34971
TRAP

TRAPTRAPTRAP

Look around carefully, and caution Aphek to be quiet.

You are currently rested, armed/armored and well fed for the first time in days. Seems kind of a shame to just pass on the chance to really fight your best, doesn't it? So lets look for our would be ambushers, and say hello.

Have Aphek stay in sight and away from any place someone could hide. You don't want him being held hostage or knifed.
>>
No. 34976 ID: ecf892

>>34971
That's not good.
Lock if you're seeing any tracks or if you smell anything.
Then quickly move to open ground, the last thing you want is getting ambushed again.
>>
No. 34978 ID: 64d98f
File 125126864743.gif - (57.70KB , 288x374 , ackbar.gif )
34978

>>
No. 34980 ID: 7eda8b
File 12512688234.png - (78.95KB , 500x500 , AQ144.png )
34980

>>34976
>Lock if you're seeing any tracks or if you smell anything.

Goshen alerts Aphek that something's amiss.

Goshen sees no tracks, but he can't see much. The light is growing slightly better as the fire intensifies behind them. Goshen mostly smells smoke and blood and sergal, though something in the air is making him more nervous. He can't put his finger on it.
>>
No. 34984 ID: 476456

SMELLS LIKE SHADRAN!
>>
No. 34992 ID: ecf892

>>34980
Yeah serious, move to open ground. You need room to be most effective with your polearm. And serching for enemies or the two swords in the ruins isn't worth the risk.
If you can see anything then, start to move anyways and be extras alert.
>>
No. 34993 ID: 6164e0

>>34980
'smells like sergal'

You and Aphek should be the only ones here.
By now you should know Aphek's scent, and I imagine you know your own. do you only smell the two of you?
>>
No. 34998 ID: 6164e0

>>34980
Wait, what is that at the feet of the statue?

Inspect cautiously.
>>
No. 34999 ID: 7eda8b
File 125127000480.png - (82.12KB , 500x500 , AQ145.png )
34999

>>34993
>By now you should know Aphek's scent, and I imagine you know your own. do you only smell the two of you?
Wait...

Yes, there is definitely a third one!
>>
No. 35000 ID: f78140

>>34999
looks like severed sergal heads by the statue's feet. prepare for battel, warn Aphek.
>>
No. 35001 ID: 277ca6

>>34999
and yes that's deffinitly his head
>>
No. 35002 ID: f4963f

>>34999
FFFFF-

Is it a dustback or a northerner? This could be Bad News.

Get out of the light, keep your senses alert.
>>
No. 35003 ID: f4963f

>>34999
Er... crap. Scratch my last comment, that's a dead sergal. Crap, bandits.

Yeah, prepare for battle. Hand Aphek a sword, too.
>>
No. 35004 ID: ecf892

>>34999
Fuuuuck, it's a Sergal head, be even more alert.
Is it southern or northern?
>>
No. 35005 ID: 6164e0

>>34999
Check the severed Sergal head on the statue's platform.

If Southerner, stay, continue searching for the people who took those swords.

If Northerner, don't bother, just leave.
>>
No. 35204 ID: 7eda8b
File 125134253278.png - (93.76KB , 500x500 , AQ146.png )
35204

>>35005
>Check the severed Sergal head on the statue's platform.
...

It is... WAS a northerner. Looks fairly fresh. Goshen doesn't recognize its identity.

Goshen didn't notice the smell of all the blood before, due to all the blood that was here already. Plus, the wind shifted a minute before. It's at his back now.
>>35003
>Yeah, prepare for battle. Hand Aphek a sword, too.
"Aphek," he whispers. "Draw your sword. Be ready to run."

"What... what direction?" asks the southerner.

Goshen catches a scent on the wind. Talyxian.
>>
No. 35206 ID: 448a65

>>35204

Not good.

Tell me she can't see well in the dark, cause we sure as hell can't.
>>
No. 35207 ID: f4963f

>>35204
...

What direction is its scent coming from?

I suggest getting a move on in the other direction, with the two of you keeping watch in opposite directions. If Shadran is any lesson, they're sneaky bastards.

It... /isn't/ Shadran, right?
>>
No. 35209 ID: bffa2a

>>35204

Well, I hope she isin't crouching on top of that statue in darkness waiting for you to foolishly come closer to inspect severed sergal heads. Because damn that would suck.

Tell the dustback not to run willy nilly and watch your back. She was completely silent last time and we don't want a repeat of that. Move in open ground where nothing blocks your spear movement.
>>
No. 35210 ID: 64f8ae

Get Aphek looking in whatever direction you're not and have him holler out at the first sign of trouble. Don't go to the head, it's an obvious trap. They probably hid a grenade under there like the VC would do.
>>
No. 35212 ID: 64f8ae

We're downwind, let's stay that way.
>>
No. 35213 ID: f44349

>>35204
AAAAAAAAA
WHAT ARE YOU DOING STILL STANDING AROUND?!
RUN RUN RUN
DOWNWIND IS GOOD, BUT FUCK
JUST RUN
>>
No. 35214 ID: 64f8ae

>>35213
but CAREFULLY, we don't wanna run across any tripwires or mines they may have planted.
>>
No. 35215 ID: 7eda8b
File 125134537021.png - (123.19KB , 500x500 , AQ147.png )
35215

>>35212
>We're downwind, let's stay that way.
"Start heading downwind. I'll follow," Goshen says.

He turns upwind. The cache is burning brightly.>>35206
>Tell me she can't see well in the dark, cause we sure as hell can't.
Goshen's night vision is good, but there's no moon. It must be overcast, too, because the stars have been winking out one by one. Up until a minute ago, there was practically no light at all, though there's obviously some now.
>>
No. 35216 ID: f4963f

>>35215
FFFF- Red eyes? To the right of the fire? Spear at the ready, Goshen.
>>
No. 35218 ID: bffa2a

>>35215

Well, goddamn. That's pretty much the perfect position for her to start because that'll ruin your nightvision for a while. Don't get drawn in the dark again.
>>
No. 35226 ID: 6164e0

>>35215
Last time, she snuck up on you while you were tired, wounded, dehydrated and alone, and you barely were able to hold your own.

Now you know where she is, you are almost fully rested, you are not wounded, you are well fed, and you have fought her before.

The very fact she is here leads to the assumption she will keep stalking you. It is time to show her what you can really do.

Just remember how fast she is, and do your best to give her no time to use that speed. And expect her to possess those two swords, as well as those two daggers from before.
>>
No. 35227 ID: bffa2a

>>35226

Yeah, no. Talyxian's pretty much own sergals one on one. Aphek is not much help and might even be a liability with his fear and inexperience. It's going to be a waiting battle where we hold her at spear point and Aphek stays behind us out of the way. Definately don't try anything fancy like sand kicking or lunging again. I'm pretty worried about there being a *twang* sound and us sporting a brand new feathers where there shouldn't be any.
>>
No. 35228 ID: 6164e0

>>35227
Just because on average Talyxians do better than Sergals in one-on-one fights doesn't mean that Goshen can't beat her. Besides, we can only figure out traps she sets before she springs them so many times before we mess up and she kills us. Might as well do everything we can to put her down now so we can sleep a little more soundly in the future.
>>
No. 35229 ID: 64f8ae

>>35227
So as long as they hit us in the butt it should be good.
>>
No. 35242 ID: 7eda8b
File 125135151375.png - (125.57KB , 500x500 , AQ148.png )
35242

The flickers of orange was all but lost amidst the flames. It lasted only a moment. By the time Goshen realized what they were, they were gone.

There is no doubt in his mind now.

>>35226
>Last time, she snuck up on you while you were tired, wounded, dehydrated and alone, and you barely were able to hold your own.
Goshen hasn't fully recovered. He still feels sluggish. Can he beat her? He's not sure. Can he run? His heart is racing. He can run. He hopes he can run fast enough.

>>35227
>It's going to be a waiting battle where we hold her at spear point and Aphek stays behind us out of the way.
Waiting for what? No help is coming. Not for them.

"Goshen," Aphek whispers. "It's her. I smell her."

"I know."

Goshen remembers what happened the last time Aphek faced Shadran.

"Start running," hisses Goshen.

"Are you g-"

"Go."

Aphek obeys. Goshen takes a moment to decide if he's following.
>>
No. 35243 ID: 6164e0

>>35242
She tracked you for a week and a half.

There is little reason to doubt she will continue hounding you until she can finally kill you.

She is dangerous, and has a good chance of killing you right now. But better to end it with her now, with steel in hand, then to flee and have her slip a knife in your throat some time later while you sleep.
>>
No. 35244 ID: 64d98f
File 125135224146.png - (10.02KB , 176x193 , grrr.png )
35244

Let's teach that bitch a lesson.
>>
No. 35246 ID: 707738

>>35242
Running is probably your best chance. Assuming the stuff you're carrying isn't weighting you down to much.
You won't defeat her when she gets to choose the battlefield, I doubt she'll risk to engage you directly in the open desert. But she'll keep stalking you of course.
>>
No. 35248 ID: bde1b8

Run dude. You have no chance to survive, make your time.
>>
No. 35249 ID: ed8d8a

I am unsure when we will encounter her and she has NOT "chosen" the battlefield, as long as she is tracking us and we are trying to get somewhere, so that's sort of a lousy argument.
>>
No. 35251 ID: 7eda8b
File 125135540698.png - (59.72KB , 500x500 , AQ149.png )
35251

>>35246
>>35248
Goshen decides he stands a poor chance against Shadran in his present state. He carefully backs into the statue's shadow, then starts running.

If the Talyxian were on a horse, Goshen would be confident he could outrun her. If.

When he glances over his shoulder, he sees only darkness, and the receding fire.
>>
No. 35252 ID: bde1b8

>>35251
Run until one of you starts slowing noticeably, then start walking. I hope to dear god you two know which direction you are supposed to be going.
>>
No. 35255 ID: 707738

>>35251
It's quite possible for you to stay in front of her until you reach friends.
She'll have to carry her own supplies and rest sometimes. Just don't stay in one place longer than necessary.
>>
No. 35259 ID: 7eda8b
File 12513673901.png - (100.35KB , 500x500 , AQ150.png )
35259

Far behind, Shadran watches it burn.

She watches for a long time, until the ashes hiss with spilled water, and grow dark.
>>
No. 35260 ID: 7eda8b
File 125136741771.png - (64.75KB , 500x500 , AQ151.png )
35260

>>
No. 35261 ID: 7eda8b
File 125136744320.png - (3.23KB , 500x500 , AQ152.png )
35261

>>
No. 35262 ID: 7eda8b
File 125136768271.png - (806B , 500x500 , AQ153.png )
35262

>>
No. 35263 ID: 7eda8b
File 125136781250.png - (247.06KB , 600x600 , AQ154.png )
35263

One week later.
>>
No. 35264 ID: 7eda8b
File 125136828460.png - (201.75KB , 600x600 , AQ155.png )
35264

Goshen and Aphek walk out of the desert.

The grass is wet beneath their feet.
>>
No. 35265 ID: 7eda8b
File 125136835112.png - (214.99KB , 600x600 , AQ156.png )
35265

>>
No. 35266 ID: 476456

Give Aphek a celebratory platonic hug!
>>
No. 35267 ID: 06fc25

How about no. Can we have at least one fucking quest without a pointless romance angle shoehorned in?
>>
No. 35268 ID: d2ea61

>>35267

Only if you take that stick ouf of your ass and don't consider a platonic comrade-to-comrade hug the start of a romance. Which would be ridiculous at best.
>>
No. 35269 ID: 06fc25

Yeah, Goshen sure seems like the hugging type what with the raiding and killing people. Maybe when he's done they can braid one another's hair and watch Sixteen Candles.
>>
No. 35270 ID: d2ea61

>>35269

Now that is a much more valid point why not do it. And I agree.
>>
No. 35272 ID: 67c611

How about a totally manly ass-pat?
>>
No. 35273 ID: 9d41ab

>>35272
A quick assfuck to cement masculine camaraderie?
>>
No. 35275 ID: 01383e

guys, have you never had a male friend?

the method to make them bond is to make them FOIGHT. start sparing with each-other to train the brown one.
>>
No. 35278 ID: 448a65

>>35273

ಠ_ಠ

>>35275

How about we get to civilisation first? We must be getting low on supplies by now.
>>
No. 35280 ID: 707738

The most Goshen will give to Aphek is an almost lethal slap on the back. Even if you ignore the fact that not everything works like in gay animes, dustbacks are still considered inferior in Sergal society and Aphek can be happy if Goshen considers him even as comrade.
>>
No. 35326 ID: f4963f

Hells yeah, celebrate! You guys just got out of the freaking desert alive. Even saw Shadran a second time and lived to tell the tale.

And hey, I'm all for platonic buddyhugs.
>>
No. 35340 ID: 6164e0

Okay, you have made it out of the desrt, but do you have any ide of where you are?

Maybe try and figure that out while you hunt something, as those Jerky strips probably leave something to be desired.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password