[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Catalog View] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Quests] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 179296)
Message
File []
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, SWF
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 41599 unique user posts. View catalog

File 127421621511.png - (138.88KB , 640x400 , 01.png )
179296 No. 179296 ID: f35d0a

... That's really a wonderful life she led, didn't she?

The moment I uttered that statement, we have just moved through time. Half a century, to be exact. The result of your previous work will be revealed to you once you assume the mind of one goblin.

To our left is a shy but tactful tinker who is cooped up in a laboratory, inventing wonderful devices for the benefit of the goblins. To our right is a brash and budding fisher who aspires to travel around, seeking to handle merchandises as well as enjoy a good fishing.

It is a good time for you to dazzle yourself with your previous work. Whichever you prefer will be bestowed with your presence, though you might want to expect a normal life ahead. Still, do select from the two. It is your own choice.
Expand all images
>>
No. 179299 ID: c71597

>>179296
Tinkerer. We're gonna invent some mad weapons and armor, then he will go all mad scientist and fuck shit up!
>>
No. 179300 ID: e31d52

>>179299
YES.
>>
No. 179301 ID: 701a19

Tinkerer!
>>
No. 179303 ID: 753009

>>179299

after reading this, i can't suggest anything else except tinkerer.
>>
No. 179304 ID: 34470e

>>179296
Can we get the tinkerer with a fisherman hat?
>>
No. 179305 ID: 06aefc

Tink. Er.
>>
No. 179307 ID: c05c83

Tinker. Can we meet the fisher and team up later? Let's do that.
>>
No. 179319 ID: f35d0a
File 127421853793.png - (114.29KB , 640x400 , 02.png )
179319

The tinker's life, you say? Scientific advances and technology... Invention and creativity... I see you're still on your old ways.

But I tell you, this tinker's life is nothing extraordinary. Wouldn't it be dull for you?
>>
No. 179320 ID: f35d0a
File 127421857144.png - (153.57KB , 640x400 , 03.png )
179320

*BAAAM!*

... On second thought, you might get to enjoy this. Well, so long!
>>
No. 179321 ID: e31d52

>>179319
NAY! For we shall create such gizmos and things! Such as a device to destroy the straps and padding of a foe's armor!
>>
No. 179330 ID: 1ac39d

explosions already?! this is off to the best start!
>>
No. 179337 ID: c71597

>>179320
I hope you already have an established system to deal with unforseen fires in your laboratory.

So what were you doing when you got interrupted by the exploding something?
>>
No. 179346 ID: f35d0a
File 127422086444.png - (167.80KB , 640x400 , 04.png )
179346

Gah! Who in their right mind would set off explosives on a small rock?!

... Wait, why did I try to smash that with my hammer?

... Water... I'll get water...
>>
No. 179347 ID: 1ac39d

yeah, clean up and while you are doing that give some exposition on what you were doing.
>>
No. 179348 ID: c71597

>>179346
You sure you're ok there? You seem to have caught most of the explosion with your face.

Might I suggest some sort of armor and faceguard for future experiments with explosive compounds.
>>
No. 179357 ID: 0fc814

So what were you doing? Who were you doing it for? Where do you live?
>>
No. 179374 ID: 34470e

>>179346
What's your name? What's your favorite color? Who s your daddy and what does he do?
>>
No. 179376 ID: f35d0a
File 127422331041.png - (53.64KB , 640x400 , 05.png )
179376

... Huh? Voices? In my head?
>>
No. 179377 ID: f35d0a
File 127422334814.png - (55.78KB , 640x400 , 06.png )
179377

I mean, hi! I- uhh, It's nice to meet... Please be meet...

I'm happy! Happy you- I mean, happy to see you!
>>
No. 179378 ID: b71223

...uh...
you may want to sit down. I think that explosion may have brained your damage.
>>
No. 179379 ID: 1ac39d

sup, so who are you and what is your goal? we are just 'voices' or if you can think up a name you can call us that.
>>
No. 179380 ID: c71597

>>179377
It's probably a side effect of that explosion. By the way you should probably seek some medical assistance with that. Stopping explosions with your face tends to be bad for your health.
>>
No. 179385 ID: a594b9

We're totally not an after-effect. We got here right before the explosion.
>>
No. 179386 ID: 0b2a05

Oh god you're adorable.

Yes, water! You need water!
>>
No. 179398 ID: f35d0a
File 127422567469.png - (108.70KB , 640x400 , 07.png )
179398

The explosion was not that potent... It's more of a dud, but...

I'm just not used to socializing, that's all. I can't concentrate, you know...

Anyway, I'm Agga, a tinker. More like they branded me with that because I love experimenting with stuff I find. I sometimes make stuff and show them to the goblins in the village. Most of the time, they approve of my inventions and put them up for public use.

See? This one dispenses water from underground! It's what I call "The Water Dispenser"! Nifty, eh?

... I'm sorry, I must be boring you. I will clean myself up now.

Earlier, my friend brought me a small rock with some kind of red stone embedded on it. I tried disassembling it, but I just realized too late that it was some sort of explosive device.

Good thing it's more of a small blast rather than an explosion. Seemed like it was made about a century ago.
>>
No. 179399 ID: b71223

>>179398
boring? honey trust me you must not now us. we love this kind of stuff.
A friend brought you it... who is this friend?
also anything intresting happen a centruy ago?
>>
No. 179400 ID: 0b2a05

So THIS is why you wear goggles! Good thinking!

Didja test the water for bad stuff yet?
>>
No. 179401 ID: 445c48

>>179398
"The Water Dispenser" is not at all catchy, sorry to say. Bit of a mouth full. Call it a "Well" or a "Pump"
>>
No. 179403 ID: 1ac39d

>>179399
a half century.
also, that's a good invention, how does it work?
>>
No. 179404 ID: c71597

>>179398
No not very boring. We're quite interested i scientific progress and metodology. Tell us, do you keep accurate records of your experimentation?

And yes that is quite a nice water dispenser. I think you could improve upon the part where the water comes out of though. The current set up seems like it could waste quite a bit of water.
>>
No. 179434 ID: f35d0a
File 127422935694.png - (127.74KB , 640x400 , 08.png )
179434

>>179403
Uhh, there's a thing inside this stone box that pulls water up somehow... I accidentally learned this! I don't know how to explain stuff!

I guess as long as it works, they consider it...

>>179399
She brought it to me just awhile ago... She said she found it while fishing by the Snake River. She wouldn't really bring this to me just to endanger my life...

... Uhh, I got caught up with talking to you that I splashed all the water on that thing... Sorry!
>>
No. 179437 ID: f35d0a
File 127422946136.png - (120.43KB , 640x400 , 09.png )
179437

"What happened, Agga? I saw the smoke from the river!"
"Oh nothing... Turns out that thing you brought here was some sort of device that explodes..."
"Ugh, I don't know that was dangerous!"

My friend's here.
>>
No. 179440 ID: a594b9

>>179434
Maybe we can find more stuff like it where she found it!
>>
No. 179441 ID: 0b2a05

Ooh, turn around!
>>
No. 179444 ID: 1ac39d

oh say hi!
>>
No. 179446 ID: c71597

>>179437
You know you should work on being able to explain stuff and make accurate blue prints as well write down records of your experiments along with instructions on how to duplicate the results. Doing those things are important parts of the scientific method and progress.

By the way, if you want to further improve the living conditions of your fellow goblins then improving the materials used for tools and similar things could be a good place to start. More durable metals that can be produced cheaply and easily can work wonders for life.

Say hello to your friend. Reassure them that it's nothing bad, and you will take some extra precautions in the future to make sure it doesn't happen again.
>>
No. 179469 ID: f35d0a
File 127423184848.png - (107.80KB , 400x640 , 10.png )
179469

"... Mika... Where'd you get those pants?"
"Same way I got that exploding stone."
"... Wouldn't it be wet?"
"And do I look like I care? Come on, I'm worried sick of you from that explosion, and we're talking about my new pants?"
>>
No. 179470 ID: c71597

>>179469
Assure Mika that you're fine. And tell her the vest looks nice on her, compliments are usually a good thing.
>>
No. 179471 ID: a594b9

Well, those are pretty nice pants. Tell her you're fine, the explosion wasn't very big.

Also, check out the exposed red crystal and what it's attached to. Looks like the explosion didn't really destroy the entire thing.
>>
No. 179472 ID: 0b2a05

What's she carrying, a fishing pole?
>>
No. 179475 ID: d3dfb8

"Come now, get those off you. You don't want to catch a cold from walking around in wet pants.
If you're so worried why don't you come over here and ill prove that I'm fine."

Suddenly, we are a lesbian goblin.
>>
No. 179478 ID: 9606a6

We shoulda been the fisher.
>>
No. 179481 ID: a594b9

>>179475
Well, we don't exactly know what gender Agga is. Though, the name does sound female...

Care to fill us in, Agga?
>>
No. 179483 ID: 1ac39d

yes, tell us agga, are you and mika friends, or 'Friends' *nudge nudge, wink wink*
>>
No. 179538 ID: f35d0a
File 127423631469.png - (44.57KB , 640x400 , 11.png )
179538

>>179471
I don't know what the red stone is. It's the first time I've ever seen it! All I know is that it's completely clean of other sediments, so it couldn't have some sort of powder covering around it.

"I'm okay, Agga. The explosion wasn't that big."

>>179481
>>179483
G-G-Gender? Are you... Are you hitting... In love! Waaaah!

"Agga! Get a hold of yourself! Why are you screaming?!"
>>
No. 179540 ID: f35d0a
File 127423656319.png - (79.66KB , 640x400 , 12.png )
179540

"It's these voices! After the explosion, they just... appeared in my head... And my gender..."
"Oh wow... Whatever they are, are those fuckers hitting on you already? What sick fucks. Don't they know you're, like, too young?"
"Uhh, Mika... It's more... More about..."
"Just ignore the perverts if they give you something like that again. Maybe we should get some fresh air to calm you down."
>>
No. 179541 ID: a594b9

>>179540
Oh, wait. You're young? We couldn't tell. How old are you?

Also how does she know about us? Do you know about us? What do you know?
>>
No. 179543 ID: 0b2a05

We like setting people up, is that a crime?

Wait, are people bugging you? People that aren't us I mean.
>>
No. 179544 ID: b43d64

>>179540
Hey I'm sure they're just teasing RIGHT GUYS?

Don't worry about it a joke is just a joke.

Maybe you could tell us about your village?
>>
No. 179545 ID: 1ac39d

hey, until you stood next to her we had no real reference to how tall you were.
>>
No. 179549 ID: f35d0a
File 127423718182.png - (43.59KB , 640x400 , 13.png )
179549

I'm so sorry... I thought you could tell! But it's my fault...

... If it really makes you feel better, I actually am a-

"Agga! Come on now, we're going to the village! I did promise you that before I left earlier, right?"
>>
No. 179550 ID: 40cb26

>>179540
Well it's just the basic stuff we do. Confirm identity, determine characteristics physical and otherwise, confirm relationship status, etc.

So you're basically a kid? You're pretty bright already, just learn a bit of focus and discipline and you'll be one smart goblin.
>>
No. 179551 ID: f35d0a
File 127423722774.png - (44.76KB , 640x400 , 14.png )
179551

Ah! Oh yes! Now that Mika's here, we can go to the village! I always feel secure when Mika's around me.

You'll love it, I swear!
>>
No. 179552 ID: 0b2a05

Got some errands to run?
>>
No. 179559 ID: 1ac39d

that really is sounding like you at least like mika more then other goblins. maybe not LIKE like, but still.
>>
No. 179561 ID: 9606a6

Mika sure seems to know a lot about head voices...
>>
No. 179564 ID: 0fc814

Get on with it.
>>
No. 179571 ID: d6cb21

>>179551
Wow. You are easily distracted arnt you? Why dont you tell us on the way then. IF we are going to be together, we need info.
>>
No. 179719 ID: c71597

>>179551
I'm sure it will be awesome.

By the way, why don't you tell us a bit more about your work? As well as give us some information about what materials you have to work with and if there happens to be a magic user that can place enchantments in the village.
>>
No. 180235 ID: f35d0a
File 127437658260.png - (111.21KB , 640x400 , 15.png )
180235

>>179552
>>179719
As a Tinker, I am always in dire need for resources and supplies. The ones I get in town only have wood and stone. Mika sometimes brings metal to me whenever she travels to distant lands, but I can't really work with the little amount of metal I have.

So yeah. I'm stuck with stone and wood. Maybe if I actually look harder around town, I might find someone who can help me with other resources...

Magic? I don't know. I'm not really interested in supernatural things like that. Maybe Mika knows...
>>
No. 180236 ID: f35d0a
File 127437670959.png - (114.00KB , 640x400 , 16.png )
180236

"Mika? Do you know anyone in town who knows magic?"
"Ya mean lame people who wave their hands and just 'mysteriously do stuff' with 'em? I've seen some travellers, but nuthin' on the goblin side. Now come on, at least clean yourself up before we can get to town."
>>
No. 180237 ID: a594b9

Take hanky, wipe face.
>>
No. 180240 ID: c71597

>>180236
Accept profered hanky.

Well it's clear what your first course of action should be. Secure a good supply of metal. If you're going to get anywhere good you're going to need tools of metal to work with. Stone and wood can only get you so far, and it's very far at all actually.
>>
No. 180262 ID: a85626

>>180235

Magic could help you out, if you run into something that isn't explainable, such as a mysterious red crystal that explodes when struck with a hammer while mysteriously repelling sediment. You know, just your average magic crystal.

Otherwise yeah, it's totally more trouble than it's worth.
>>
No. 181009 ID: 0b2a05

Yes, to the town!

Hey, you don't have anyone bullying you right? No offense, but you look... really susceptible to it.
>>
No. 181848 ID: f35d0a
File 12746389641.png - (172.78KB , 640x400 , 17.png )
181848

>>180240
That's it, then! We will search around town for someone who will help us get some metal!

>>181009
Oh no, everyone in town is nice to me! I just don't really know how to socialize very well. Or more like, I want to, but...

Oh! So many non-goblins! I wonder what's happening.

"Mika, do you know someone who could help us get some metal?"
"Nope, but we cou' ask around the village if ya want. I'll help ya out with'at. We cou' start at the Bar and look fo' some travellers who have info, or we cou' just look at that Bulletin Board ov'r there for more official ones."

We could also go to the Resource Store where I buy my own supply, or just ask around. Maybe one of them non-goblins loitering around can help us, but I can't decide for myself!
>>
No. 181856 ID: c71597

>>181848
Start with the non goblins loitering around. One of those might be looking to set up trade posts or partnerships. Then check out the bar.

What you should be looking to secure right now is writing materials and metals. Once we have that we can make further plans and better tools as well as record our progress. Keeping accurate records of experiments is vital in the scientific progress.
>>
No. 181873 ID: 3afd1f

>>181848
Who's that in the pub?
>>
No. 181876 ID: 0b2a05

>>181856
Yes! Talk to the non goblins!
>>
No. 181962 ID: f35d0a
File 127465452479.png - (113.21KB , 640x400 , 18.png )
181962

>>181856
Writing materials? But I can't write!

I go closer to these two. I find it easier to talk when I'm taller than whoever I'm talking to, for some reason.

"W-W-Welcome to the village!"
Tonberry: "Uhh, thanks for the welcome, but we've been here since yesterday."
"I mean... What brings you here?"
Kobold: "Oh, just to get some soil. We heard that the land here's very fertile for some reason. They claimed an inventor of some sort made something that makes the soil very suitable for plant growing somehow!"
"... Do you know anything about... uhh... getting metal?"
Cutebold: "Oh, I'm sorry. I can't help you with that. Maybe ask someone else? But if you do want some help with cropping or something similar, you can ask me!"

... They can't help me with finding metal... :(
>>
No. 181965 ID: 0b2a05

Damn they're cute. Alright, check the pub.
>>
No. 181966 ID: c71597

>>181962
Then you will have to learn, both how to read and write. Ask them if any of them know how to do it.

Also ask them if they're any good at growing herbs.
>>
No. 182084 ID: d6cb21

>>181962
GOOD GOD
HOW IS THIS LEVEL OF CUTENESS EVEN POSSIBLE?
>>
No. 182094 ID: 2eac65

>>181962
You're illiterate? You should work to fix this very soon. Being able to record your thoughts outside your head is a great help for any endavor, especially science. The goblin memory is fleeting and inaccurate, but written records remain unchanged for great lengths of time, and take comparatively little effort to keep once made. If you can't write down your research, it's a waste of time.
>>
No. 182095 ID: 1ac39d

don't even need to use the same words everyone else uses can just make it up, as long as you understand it.
>>
No. 182100 ID: 3afd1f

Or just draw diagrams. No words needed really.
>>
No. 182413 ID: c4c313

>>182094

Even if you can't write words, drafting diagrams of your inventions will let you detect mistakes before you even build them, even before they blow up in your face!
>>
No. 182555 ID: f35d0a
File 127475925098.png - (100.12KB , 640x400 , 19.png )
182555

>>182094
>>182095
>>182100
>>182413
So you're concerned with me having a database of information about my work. I suppose I should find a way to do so. I mean, it wouldn't be so fruitful if I can't record my own works, right?

But let's not get that confused with our main goal. We need to find someone who can get us some metal!

>>181966
I can assume they know their way around growing herbs and such, but that information isn't needed as of now, right?

"Okay then. I'll let you know if I need someone like you... uhh..."
Kobold: "Oh! My apologies! My name's Draya, and my friend here is a Tonberry named Tekkeno. We will be staying here in the village for a few more weeks before returning to Tekkeno's place in Sutaria, but you probably don't need to know that."
Tekkeno: "Of course they do! It's the best place ever! And it's in the desert south of here!"
"Uhh... Thanks, then. You can call me Agga, and she's Mika. Nice to meet you, then!"

... Ugh, I just hate talking.
>>
No. 182561 ID: f35d0a
File 127475953542.png - (105.29KB , 640x400 , 20.png )
182561

We go to the pub.

???: "Oh hey there, Agga! You came out of the house!"

Waah! Shirly's so scary as always!

Mika: "Sorry, Shirly. Agga's not really here to visit you."
Shirly: "Ah, of course. Business? Well, young Agga here can't really enter the Bar, but what can I help you with?"
Mika: "Looking for someone who can grab us some metal. Agga wants a stable source for metal."
Shirly: "Ahh... I have a group here who sells armor, but I don't know if they actually forge them or not. Still, it's worth a try. Should I get them for you?"
>>
No. 182581 ID: c4c313

>>182555

If you don't want to learn to write, a highly redundant database would probably do a better job than writing it down. Trouble is your brain might not be precise enough to decode it. Whatever works for you though!

>>182561

Nod feverishly.
>>
No. 182589 ID: c71597

>>182561
Yes you would very much want to speak with them.

And you know reading is useful for other things than just making records. It also allows you easier comminication with other tinkers and allows you to read texts from people who has been busy experimenting before you. That way you don't have to reinvent the wheel and you can progress faster.
>>
No. 182599 ID: ecf25b

>>182561
What happened to Shirly?
>>
No. 182602 ID: a594b9

>>182581
>redundant database, not writing it down

Wait, you mean... mentally? That's not redundant at all!
>>
No. 182607 ID: c4c313

>>182602

No I mean highly redundant, as in when lightning strikes your workshop just as the Gruumish armies are burning your home to ashes, you can still recover your designs because you have copies of them everywhere
>>
No. 182630 ID: a594b9

>>182607
...without writing them down?

You do realize there are no computers, right?
>>
No. 182717 ID: c4c313

>>182630

Bah, computers are for those who lack imagination!
>>
No. 183180 ID: f35d0a
File 127484637073.png - (111.20KB , 640x400 , 21.png )
183180

>>182599
Some kind of accident that we shouldn't be talking about. It scares me just thinking about it!

>>182581
>>182589
I nod a bit to Shirly. She gets the message.

Shirly: "Oh, they're coming out."

We see two creatures I haven't seen before. Mika's just as surprised as I am, but Shirly seems to be used to seeing them. The shorter one of them looks at Shirly with glaring eyes.

???: "You sure you don't want to fix that head of yours? Might not be good for business around here."
Shirly: "I'm sorry?"
???: "I mean, maybe talk to some cleric or something who can restore that face of yours. Doesn't this village have one?"
Shirly: "It doesn't."
???: "... I see."
>>
No. 183183 ID: 0b2a05

Well that sucks. You guys definitely need someone that can heal wounds. For now though, metal!
>>
No. 183188 ID: 1ac39d

you could make a pretty decent alchemist. it involves mixing things together in certain amounts.

but yes, tell tell them you are the tinker of the town and you were wondering if they had any metal.
>>
No. 183209 ID: c4c313

"Hello large squinty fellow and larger burly fellow. I require metal to bring my brilliant plans to fruition!"
>>
No. 183213 ID: f35d0a
File 127484951919.png - (100.71KB , 640x400 , 22.png )
183213

B-B-But he's so scary...

"I... Uhh..."
Shirly: "These two here wants your help, Mister Raynald. The little kid here's our tinker."
Raynald: "This pipsqueak here? A tinker?! What is this village running on, child labor?"
Mika: "Shut your mouth! Are you sassing on our height?! Agga here knows a lot to making stuff! You'd better know!"
Agga: "Please, Mika... Don't put up a fight... We need h-h-him..."
>>
No. 183217 ID: 1ac39d

i think his eyes are stuck like that...
>>
No. 183224 ID: c4c313

Continue to be tongue tied and then in desperation to save face, show him some of your incredible inventions!
>>
No. 183227 ID: 0b2a05

It's alright Agga, just pretend to yourself you don't care and just ask him.
>>
No. 183228 ID: f35d0a
File 127485059041.png - (100.88KB , 640x400 , 23.png )
183228

Raynald: "I overheard your talk earlier. You say you want metal? You two can just tag along with me and I'll show you a place to get them. You can't just work on metal alone, though. You'll need tools and equipment."

... What I know is that I'll need some sort of equipment that will make the metal flexible enough to be bent and shaped into the stuff I want. But could there be more?

Raynald: "To be honest, I'm highly doubtful of what you can really do. Tell you what, you can come with me and see if you can invent or improve something along the lines of metalworking, I will personally help you in my best of interests in getting what you want. Is that clear?"
>>
No. 183231 ID: 0b2a05

Guess so. Don't worry we'll walk you through fighting if anything bad happens.
>>
No. 183232 ID: 1ac39d

oh man, we got some good ideas for that, accept. we will teach you much.
>>
No. 183233 ID: c4c313

>>183228

"Yes! Y-yes." Try not to salute.
>>
No. 183247 ID: f35d0a
File 127485364198.png - (132.39KB , 640x400 , 25.png )
183247

"Y-Y-Yes... Uhh, sir..."
Raynald: "Cute. Now, I'll be responsible for both of you. That includes food and shelter. Don't go wandering far off from me, though."
Mika: "Whatever. Just get on with it, already!"
Raynald: "Tch. You'd better invent something other than a hammer or an anvil. We're not dumb enough to provide ourselves with what we need."

We'd better think of what to do to get Mister Raynald convinced.
>>
No. 183248 ID: 0b2a05

Well you need more information about just what exactly they're doing, yes?
>>
No. 183251 ID: a594b9

>>183247
We'll need to find out what they're using to heat the metal.
>>
No. 183273 ID: c4c313

>>183247

Make a metal object that floats on water.

Like how boats float, but make it a metal boat. Metal sinks in water when solid, but if thin hollowed metal displaces enough water it will float. We don't know the squinty man's level of technology, but if you make a small boat out of metal and it floats that would impress anyone who's used to boats made out of wood.

Alternatively, invent folded quenched freeze treated high carbon steel, and make a blade that will cut through bone like butter.

Oh also, metal in contact with water will rust (note for future: exploit the amazing power of rust to cause lightning) but you can combine certain kinds of powdered clay with volatile oil to make a substance that can coat the metal with a watertight seal. That's after you make floating metal though.
>>
No. 183344 ID: c71597

>>183247
There's lots of ways to convince him. First we have to see what he has for us to work with though.
>>
No. 183361 ID: 7a7c67

>>183273
In other words, impress him with SCIENCE!
>>
No. 184930 ID: f35d0a
File 127516399734.png - (38.37KB , 640x400 , 26.png )
184930

>>183248
>>183344
Mister Raynald said it would be better if we see his workplace personally first. It would give us a sense of what he has, and work from there.

>>183247
He specifically wants something that would assist him in his own work. It probably wouldn't be fruitful if we only invent something solely to impress him.

We move out into the mountains, which isn't very far from here. Apparently this is where Mister Raynald and his scary assistant live.
>>
No. 184931 ID: c71597

>>184930
Well mountains are usually a good source of metal. Although you can also find iron in lakes, but that tends to be of a little lower quality.

But lets see what we have to work with here.
>>
No. 184933 ID: f35d0a
File 12751643859.png - (29.21KB , 640x400 , 27.png )
184933

Raynald: "... And this is where we make our armor and weapons. Looks familiar to you? It should be."
"Anyway, we only work with iron and coal around here, of which we get from the mines inside the mountain. You don't have to remember that for now, 'coz we're leaving that to the miners. Hopefully you already understand how metalworking happens around here."

... I see a forge, which I heard is something that softens metal via heat. I see a lot of stuff around here, as well. I could guess they're used to shape out the metal here.

The place is pretty minimal, though what it's lacking is rather out of me. We could always ask Mister Raynald about specific stuff in his work.
>>
No. 184936 ID: 1ac39d

well, at a glance, a quick upgrade would be a lever controlled door on the forge, enabling the internal temperature to get hotter, faster.
>>
No. 184939 ID: a594b9
File 127516499197.gif - (17.10KB , 434x324 , anvil.gif )
184939

>>184933
I don't see a pair of tongs anywhere. Also, he has no proper anvil. That's this shape.

Have him explain the forging process he uses.
>>
No. 184944 ID: 1ac39d

>>184939
i think it's three separate anvils that do the job of that one. the flat is the face, the round in the horn, and the pointy is the heel.
>>
No. 185003 ID: f35d0a
File 12751751825.png - (36.25KB , 640x400 , 28.png )
185003

>>184936
I suppose you could explain more on how we could install one on the forge?

>>184939
"Sir... How do... Do you exactly make... your products?"
"I heat the iron here using the forge until it's soft enough to be shaped using different tools. Depending on the items I'm about to produce, I then use those huge varying anvils to shape them out. Sometimes I use other techniques for different products, like drawing out the metal for swords and similar weapons. Most of the time, I use my hammer for most techniques."
"I usually work with one-piece metal: that is, I always work on large pieces. I tie them together with metal rings or something similar. In the case of hilt weapons, I create the hilt separate from the blade. The hilt would serve as some sort of a wedge for the blade; think of a tree stump holding a wooden sign up."
"I'm afraid I'm not that good at describing what I can do, but hopefully that gave you an idea."
>>
No. 185007 ID: 1ac39d

two large sheets with teeth on the bottoms of them. and running below it would be a track to hold it up. when you turn the crank it would rotate a series of gears that fit in the teeth on the panels and pull them apart. push it the other way and it closes. by making it so the heat is confined it get's hotter faster.
>>
No. 185009 ID: 1ac39d
File 127517633599.png - (27.37KB , 1394x878 , forge upgrade.png )
185009

would be something like this. you can modify it how you like to make it work.
>>
No. 185014 ID: a594b9
File 127517706865.jpg - (33.02KB , 625x416 , tongs.jpg )
185014

What does he use to hold the hot metal? It looks like he could use some tongs. Image included.

Does he smelt his own ore and pour it into blanks? Or does he just buy steel itself? We won't really need a door for the forge if he's not smelting anything. Unless he's got crap for fuel...
>>
No. 185022 ID: c4c313

>>185014

I don't think he smelts ore at all. I think he just... heats iron until it can be hammered...
>>
No. 185938 ID: f35d0a
File 127533855969.png - (56.91KB , 640x400 , 29.png )
185938

>>185014

"Mister Raynald... do you have something... to hold the metal while... you work on it?"
"Of course! How would I be able to work without holding them? It's just a bent metal bar where my assistant grips it by the middle, though. You can work on that, if you want."

Yeah, what he described is nothing like the one you made an image for me. How did you manage to do that, though? It's like seeing something that my eyes can't!

Enough of me being amazed, though.

>>185009
We could add that as well, though I can't picture this out clearly. You want to make something that would close the forge? Is that image facing me directly as if I am looking at the forge myself?

I can't make gears at the moment without access to metal, though. I'll ask Mister Raynald for that, but we'll need a clearer layout.
>>
No. 185942 ID: a594b9

>>185938
Okay we can definitely make him a better pair of tongs.

Just take two metal bars and curve the ends. Slap a bolt in the middle to connect them together close to one end and you've got some proper tongs that one person can use. That's the gist of that image I showed you.
>>
No. 185949 ID: c71597

>>185938
Start with the better tongs.

Not sure on how the forge upgrade looks. I think it's a mechanism for closing it so you can get higher temperatures.
>>
No. 186017 ID: f35d0a
File 127534936216.png - (53.90KB , 640x400 , 30.png )
186017

Okay, I try to draw out the parts I need for the tongs.

...

...

Here we go. This should be enough, right? I'll have Mister Raynald forge the parts for us hopefully, unless you want this made out of stone or something...

I still don't know what to do with the forge doors, though.
>>
No. 186019 ID: a594b9

>>186017
That's good. He can improve upon them himself to make ones for specific uses.

It actually looks like he has doors on the side where the coal goes in. How do those open? Perhaps we can just work with the design he already uses.

In the end you don't REALLY need a lever-operated door, just one that you can prop open after pulling it open with tongs or something. Attach a little bar that swings down from the cover that you can hook into a notch on the side of the forge.
>>
No. 186022 ID: 1ac39d

perfect!

with the forge doors gears rotate to slide them open and closed. you turn a crank, which turns gears which opens or closes the door depending on which way you turn.
>>
No. 186062 ID: c71597

>>186017
Yeah that should be quite a big improvement up from what he had previously.
>>
No. 186095 ID: f35d0a
File 127535372438.png - (50.46KB , 640x400 , 31.png )
186095

Like I said before, gears are out of the equation! I haven't had enough expertise to make one because I haven't tried to make one myself.

... How about a hinge, instead? I'll add two straps on the top of the door and add a bar below for the handle. Voila!

... Though I don't really know if this will make the inside hotter.
>>
No. 186100 ID: 1ac39d

it's a pressure thing. by keeping the heat stuck inside instead of letting it out it heats itself.
>>
No. 186102 ID: c71597

>>186095
If it seals tight enough it should work. You're probably not going to want to touch that bar with your bare hands though. That sucker is likely to become extremly hot when the door is closed.

Hmm, probably better to place the hinges at the bottom and make a system with a latch for when you need to close it. That makes it easier to open when you need to or in case of an emergancy.
>>
No. 186111 ID: f35d0a
File 127535502166.png - (66.03KB , 640x400 , 32.png )
186111

I only know of this kind of latch: it's like a crossbar that spans just a bit longer than the door itself. I don't know if that will help with the pressure inside the forge, though...

I'm running out of ideas on how to make a device that would close the forge door.
>>
No. 186115 ID: c71597

>>186111
That should work for now. Just have the bar there as well you can control the descent of the door more easily.
>>
No. 186134 ID: f21281
File 127535625410.png - (4.49KB , 426x346 , doorthing.png )
186134

Try something like this.

A hinged door, with a level system on the top which pushes and pulls a wheel up into a folded piece of metal. The bottom of the metal is slightly smaller, as to be able to hold the wheel securely in the slightly larger portion.

What this should also do is exert enough force upon the door to keep it snug and flush up against the edges of the forge entrance.
>>
No. 186137 ID: f35d0a
File 127535633755.png - (79.98KB , 640x400 , 33.png )
186137

I added the bar back. It looks nifty now!

I'll show these drawings to Mister Raynald for approval, then. I can't wait! If he approves, I might even get to learn from him! Yay!

... Anything else? If not, I'll go ahead and show him!
>>
No. 186157 ID: f35d0a
File 127535673920.png - (79.30KB , 640x400 , 34.png )
186157

>>186134
That's a rather complex procedure. Even if I do manage to get the parts, I won't know if they would hold for sure. Besides, what would the wheel be made out of? It would have to be flexible enough to fit in the metal yet strong enough to keep it in place.
>>
No. 186159 ID: f21281

>>186157
It's not the wheel that would be flexible, but the part that would hold the wheel.

Stick with what you have right now, and experiment with the more challenging versions.
>>
No. 186258 ID: f35d0a
File 127536374740.png - (40.62KB , 640x400 , 35.png )
186258

I show both blueprints to Mister Raynald. He takes great curiosity in the first one.

"How will this work?"
"Umm... You put that small thing in the hole... between the two large things, and..."
"... I get it, I get it. It's like some sort of pivot for the new tongs."
"Well, it does look like you know how to improve on things. Still a bit fresh on the expertise, but you might go far with a little bit of confidence and discipline."
"You know what, I'm actually just another miner around here. The real blacksmith's off to some other land without leaving any note behind, and I've been trying to forge stuff around here. Unfortunately, I'm not as proficient as the guy I'm talking about."
"Still, I'll have to give you credit for staying here with us and trying to improve on our utilities. From now on, you can expect metal resources from this place. It's mostly tin, copper, iron and bronze, but it's a start. I'll also ask the other miners to set up a forge that's kid-friendly so you can work on them by yourself."

That's a lot just for providing these blueprints for the tools. Is he expecting something in return?

"This is... This is too much..."
"I always try to help out budding talents out there, and that includes someone like you. You got a future, kid. Just work on yourself and your stuff."
>>
No. 186264 ID: 5a2e05

>>186258
Confidence. You don't got it, so pretend you do. Thank the nice man.
>>
No. 186266 ID: f35d0a
File 127536422271.png - (40.50KB , 640x400 , 36.png )
186266

"Umm... My friend... Where is she?"
"She's outside by the cave entrance. Mumbling something about 'wanting to explore it' or something. I told her not to, but you might want to go and check her out, just in case."
>>
No. 186271 ID: a594b9

Thank him and let's go check on her.
>>
No. 186318 ID: 1ac39d

she has a exploitative streak, always looking in places she shouldn't.
>>
No. 186322 ID: e31d52

>>186266
>you might want to go and check her out

:3c

but yes, go.
>>
No. 186512 ID: c71597

>>186266
Go and see what she is doing. There shouldn't be anything that dangerous going on here. Or well mining can be extremly dangerous at times, but surely she didn't go down into the mine shafts without proper gear or knowledge of how to act in the mine, something like that would have been reckless and impulsive.
>>
No. 186570 ID: 754d8d

>>186266
The miners are lacking a skilled smith: encouraging your talents improves the chances you'll make something that helps them make up for not having one anymore. Helping you learn is benefiting them a whole lot. Just make sure you take some time to work on things that Will help them.

Also, you should probably head down to the cave to see Mika. Even if you dont stop her from exploring, she'll be more careful with you there.
>>
No. 187209 ID: f35d0a
File 127559725187.png - (43.89KB , 640x400 , 37.png )
187209

>>186570
I'll remember that, then! I mean, inventing things that will improve the process of metalworking will also help me as well, so it might be a given. :3

We go outside and see Mika and the giant guy.

Mika: "What do you mean, I won't be getting any fish in there?! You're just stopping me from getting in, aren't you?!"
???: "No fish there. No fish, no fish."
Mika: "I don't believe you!"
>>
No. 187210 ID: c71597

>>187209
Ask Mika what's up. And if she's trying to fish in the mine tell her that there is in all likelyhood no fish in there and if she doesn't believe the big guy she can ask some miners later.
>>
No. 187211 ID: 1ac39d

i think 'fish' is a euphemism for other stuff.
>>
No. 187217 ID: c4c313

>>187211

Oh god I hope not.
>>
No. 187218 ID: 1ac39d

i mean like gems and stuff. she went 'fishing' and found that thing that exploded. how the hell do you find that in a river?
>>
No. 187220 ID: f35d0a
File 127560192454.png - (68.63KB , 640x400 , 38.png )
187220

"Mika! What's wrong?"
Mika: "I know there's fish inside this cave. It's a strange event, but I can feel it!"

... Sometimes, Mika would tell me she could just sense where fishes could be without really explaining how. I can't bring myself to believe her, since she only says that when she fishes out by the river.

Mika: "You! Do you know if there's water in this cave?"
Raynald: "We haven't hit anything other than ores in there. I doubt you'd find anything there."

Somehow, Mika doesn't seem to be convinced.
>>
No. 187223 ID: 1ac39d

tell her that "perhaps an undiscovered underground river exists." and maybe ask that you and her take a tour of the mines, maybe she will be able to tell what wall it is behind.
>>
No. 187224 ID: 407b5b

If there is an untapped river near the mines it could be a real hazard.
>>
No. 187225 ID: c4c313

Agga's got a good uh... nose for water. Could mean something's flooding. Or they're about to desecrate the buried shrine to an ancient Piscine god. Not the kind of thing you want to ignore.
>>
No. 187236 ID: c71597

>>187220
Well if there is an underground river in there then it might cause flooding if they don't know of it. Letting Agga in and follow her "nose" or whatever shouldn't hurt.
>>
No. 187272 ID: f35d0a
File 127560778297.png - (33.78KB , 640x400 , 39.png )
187272

You're confusing me for Mika!

"Sir... What if... there is an underground... underground river? Isn't that... dangerous?"
"It is, but we haven't really hit water before here. We've been working here for seven years, so I'm still doubtful if there are any water source inside. However, it may be that we just haven't taken that into consideration before."
"This is the problem of us miners, not yours. You've done enough here for now anyway. On behalf of them, I wouldn't want to bother you with more."
"Once we do hit water, I'll come by your town and contact you about it. In the mean time, just concentrate on what you're doing."

I already left my mark on the map earlier for Mister Raynald to find my house. Maybe it's time to head home? Or should we go inside regardless?
>>
No. 187278 ID: 1ac39d

i think we should just head home for now. just in case though, make another pump so that if they flood the mine you are prepared to drain it. if you can make it extra large so it can move a lot of water.
>>
No. 187300 ID: c71597

>>187272
Yeah start sketching on a pump for larger quantities of water. And make a sketch both with metal and without, to make sure you're prepared. And really there is all sorts of stuff you could use what you learn from making such a pump for.
>>
No. 187305 ID: a594b9

>>187272
I think we should try to convince him to let you and Mika inside. If Mika can determine the area where the fish are, the miners will have a better idea of how to locate the river without flooding the tunnels.
>>
No. 187378 ID: c4c313

>>187305

I think beating a dead horse would be a bad idea at this point. They don't have any reason to trust those two yet, and a flooded mine would increase their trust of Mika. So leaving would be a win/win situation either way you look at it.
>>
No. 187874 ID: f35d0a
File 127569784952.png - (74.62KB , 640x400 , 40.png )
187874

A pump? Personally, I believe prevention is better than a fix. Still, I can't meddle with Mister Raynald's matters if he doesn't want us to. I always have courtesy.

I try to convince Mika not to go with the exploring, but she seems to understand before I tell her. I wave goodbye to Mister Raynald before we move on.
>>
No. 187875 ID: f35d0a
File 127569790528.png - (84.60KB , 640x400 , 41.png )
187875

"It's sunset already! Come on, Agga. I'll show you something!"
"If it's another one of your 'I sense fish' phenomena, we already have food back home..."
"No! Even better!"
>>
No. 187876 ID: f35d0a
File 127569794422.png - (128.91KB , 640x400 , 42.png )
187876

Mika begins to pull me against my will. She's in a hurry to show this "something".

... I'm so puny, being pulled like this...
>>
No. 187877 ID: f35d0a
File 12756979968.png - (132.92KB , 600x400 , 43.png )
187877

"See? I love this place!"
"... Well... Maybe we'll just stay here for awhile before we get home."

END OF CHAPTER
>>
No. 187908 ID: 0b2a05

Wow, that's actually really pretty.

What is this fish sense talk?
>>
No. 187920 ID: 1ac39d

>>187908
you didn't pay attention at all did you?
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password