[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 953219)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3901 unique user posts. View catalog

File 157878331897.png - (464.02KB , 1200x1000 , 1.png )
953219 No. 953219 ID: 430f08

Portland.

Most folks talk about this city like it's a dying animal, sick and overgrown. There’s no space left to build, and the corporations that own the city don’t much care to sell affordable land anyway. Their skyscrapers are walls blocking us all in, and the constant smoke from their factories has swallowed the sky.

Some people call this the city where dreams are sold.

Me? I call it home.
Expand all images
>>
No. 953221 ID: 430f08
File 157878344474.png - (598.55KB , 1200x1000 , 2.png )
953221

I don’t see it as a beast. For me, it’s more like an instrument. If you know how to play it, where to put pressure, then you can make it sing for you.

For generations, my family was mostly made up of morticians. A tradition that started when my family first came to America, back in the 2100s, and a legacy that ended with my parents.

It got hard to make a living, when death started to die off. Besides, there isn’t a lot of free dirt left to bury bodies in.

These days, just about everyone gets snapshots of their brain, to be restored when they die. Even if the whole body is broken and lost, that uploaded mind can keep on living in a new, artificial body.

This is my specialty, now. Like my ancestors, I often cater to the dead. But not as subjects, nor canvas.

The dead are my typical clientele, and they’re a lively bunch.
>>
No. 953222 ID: 430f08
File 157878351241.png - (312.79KB , 1200x1000 , 3.png )
953222

My name is Petrani Pilania, and I’m a private eye. I solve mind crimes.

For now, though, I have a more pressing mystery on my hands. The power’s died in my office, and I have no idea why. My building’s closer to the city’s center than most, and I’ve never had problems with the grid before.

This isn’t normal. Something’s up.

Luckily, I was smoking some sanguine when the lights went out, so I have a bit of illumination from the smoke. It won’t last long, though. I’m still pretty high, too, so I’m a little off-kilter.

I can hear a muffled shuffling sound in the vague direction of ‘forward’, and a quiet mechanical whining to my left.

Right, then. I can figure this out. But where do I start?
>>
No. 953223 ID: 92f4e9

Say your name five times fast

Find a light
>>
No. 953224 ID: b1b4f3

>>953222
Remember the layout of your office and find a flashlight or something. Also, make a guess as to what the noises are.
Do you have anything in your pockets?
>>
No. 953225 ID: 3ce8ff

are the noises unusual or just are they just being noted because it has suddenly become dark
>>
No. 953226 ID: 7ebbf9

Duck.
>>
No. 953227 ID: 0fae41

Use your mind crime solving powers to investigate the whirring noise.
>>
No. 953229 ID: bef60d

>>953222
Remain calm, stay out of sight, head to the whirring.
>>
No. 953230 ID: 094652

Recap: Where do you put your flashlights and guns? Where's your kitchen? Do you have some fresh synth-meat handy or a fire extinguisher?

Also, throw something to distract.
>>
No. 953242 ID: ce39da

Power Dead
> Total Darkness
> Office Has Windows
Wide-scale; probably not for you.
> Office Doesn’t Have Windows
Likely localized just for you.

Shuffling
> Alone
> Unannounced Presence
You have an intruder.

Whirling Sound
> No Power
> Separate From Shuffling
> On Portable Power
Try to remember if there was anything that fits the bill there.

All in all, you have a likely threat in front of you. However, while it’s unlikely that a guy could have gotten to your right and start warming up a gun without making the same shuffling sounds, you might want to duck anyway, just in case.
>>
No. 953292 ID: 7636ed

Can u give us a mental map of ur office and where u think the noise is coming from?
>>
No. 953329 ID: 430f08
File 157892229909.png - (299.60KB , 1200x1000 , 4.png )
953329

>Do you have anything in your pockets?

A mechanical rat, a box of sanguine wicks, a lighter with low charge, an antique fountain pen, and a notepad. Oh, and my pet snake, Charles. He’s snoozing in my breast pocket.

>are the noises unusual or just are they just being noted because it has suddenly become dark

The whining is somewhat familiar. Can’t say the same about the shuffling.

>Office Has Windows

My office has windows, I just usually keep them shuttered. I peek out through the shutters. The neighborhood seems lit up outside. Probably a bad sign for me.

>find a flashlight or something.

I don’t own one. I didn’t think I’d ever have need for one. Guess I was wrong on that bit. Shit.

>Duck.

I don’t see one.

>you might want to duck anyway, just in case.

Oh! I duck. Nothing seems to happen, even after I wait for a bit, so I decide to stand up straight again.

>Remain calm, stay out of sight

Staying calm is pretty easy. I’m high on sanguine, after all. Staying out of sight might be a little harder, since I’m the only light source in the room.

>Use your mind crime solving powers to investigate the whirring noise.

I walk over to examine the source of the electric whining, holding out the wick as a light.

A blue light comes on as I approach, and realization hits me. It’s Vollie, my partner. She’s an upload. She works and lives with me, trying to save up enough cash to buy a new body.

“Petrani? Petra! Is that you?” Vollie squeaks, her voice crackling through the cheap-ish speaker of her portable RACM box. Her simple face render occupies the box’s glowing screen, showing off her anxiety. “I got dropped off the net – why’s the power gone out?”

“No idea,” I reply. “Are you okay?”

“I was in the middle of a very important conversation! So no! But… I guess I’m not hurt, or anything.” She pauses, letting the mechanical whine of her housing fill the air. “I hate being in this stupid box.”

“I know. Sorry.”

“And – and you’re smoking sang again!” Vollie chides. “I thought I told you to knock it off. The smell will scare off clients.”

“But most of our clients don’t have noses.”

“Gah, I don’t want to argue with you right now,” she grumbles. “Get the power back on, will you?”
>>
No. 953330 ID: 430f08
File 157892235792.png - (206.77KB , 1200x1000 , 5.png )
953330

>Remember the layout of your office
>Can u give us a mental map of ur office and where u think the noise is coming from?

Sure, here you go.

The sound’s getting louder and closer, by the way.
>>
No. 953332 ID: 094652

You have a gun. This is what it is for. Go get it.
Throw the chair on your way, followed by a duck.
>>
No. 953352 ID: ce39da

Shuffling Noise
> Closer Than Before
> Currently At the Door
> Unlocked for Clients
> Assailant Must Be Quick After Opening
> Gunfire Imminent
Tell Vollie to kill the light, then get down to the ground behind your desk and make your way to your gun. Once you've found it, throw your joint towards the front door where the shuffling is. The intent here is that it helps your aim instead of theirs this way.
>>
No. 953354 ID: b1b4f3

>>953330
Hmm, okay, you want to get your gun and put your light source by the door so you can see whoever it is without them seeing you. Then wait for them to come in, and hopefully it's just the maintenance tech or something so you won't have to shoot them.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason