[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 933337)
Message
File []
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 20000 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3681 unique user posts. View catalog

File 155826081464.png - (44.41KB , 600x400 , dungeoneer_ch6.png )
933337 No. 933337 ID: e8f59c

http://www.tgchan.org/wiki/Dungeoneer

It feels as if I've been running from problem to problem since waking up. But we're slowly digging in and slowly making progress.
Expand all images
>>
No. 933338 ID: e8f59c
File 155826091471.png - (31.07KB , 720x720 , ear_tweaks_very_important.png )
933338

The imp invasion has been thwarted and it's quiet now so I might take a moment to think about my situation.

While it seemed like a good idea at the time, experimenting with raw mana showed that the mysterious orange goo found in my dungeon following the nightmare incident was actually a mass of curses somehow robbed of power and collapsed into a harmless edible jelly.

Reawakening that was not a good idea.

Naturally I threw myself on the reacting mess to protect my nearby denizens but as a result I've gotten cursed, hit with a melange of curses.

I will be able to purge them in a week or so but until then it is causing a number of headaches. My judgement may be suspect so I have given Moriko a token to restrain most of my dungeon's magic without its authentication and will be trying to stick to fairly light duties. Thus far the effects I have identified are carelessness with my speech, intermittent loss of my internal monologue and an impulse to sculpt my golem body to resemble various creatures.
>>
No. 933339 ID: e8f59c
File 155826098018.png - (26.61KB , 800x500 , group_noun_is_a_mess_of_dead_imps.png )
933339

There's a number of small things to get sorted out before I can embark on long term planning anyway.

First of all, these dead imps. They're low grade material for most purposes but I'm terribly lacking in resources and would hate to waste them.

I've already determined they were carrying the princely sum of 51G which puts me slightly closer to the critical amount of gold that'll allow me to restore a layer of my Heart.

For the bodies themselves, it's more about dealing with the quantity. My denizens can eat some as long as they're properly prepared and I can make potions out of a few as well, but what to do with the rest?
>>
No. 933340 ID: 017879

Spike a few with poison or curses, then leave them out in the hopes that the devil bear eats them and gets sick instead of absorbing the curse/poison and becoming ever stronger.

It's a needless risk I'm willing to take.
>>
No. 933341 ID: 1774cd

>>933339
We got mushrooms right? Fertilizer!
>>
No. 933342 ID: ad51b8

toss some in the forge and see if we can't get some items we could place in the dungeon for adventure loot?
>>
No. 933343 ID: 91ee5f

>>933338
>sculpt body
Lizardfolk

>>933339
Alkaline eats curses, right? Let her eat some of those corpses.
>>
No. 933347 ID: 10c408

First things first. Ensure that ALL of them are in fact, actually dead. The lime imp in the center-right of the pile is still alive and there's absolutely no reason to not double check the corpses because if we miss we imp and it nicks something, we'll never live it down.

As for what to do with the bodies...

Honestly? I think a little of everything. Shove corpses into Doyle until he's full and be stern with him for his cowardice. Make fertilizer with several more and prepare any that are left for meals.

....Actually before we do that last one, ask Moriko when she gets back if she's okay with the prospect of having imp on the menu
>>
No. 933349 ID: 0fae41

I think the term is a massacre of (dead) imps.
Processing these things takes time that could be better spent on other tasks, right? Prioritize speed over efficiency of extraction - return (most of) them to the earth pulse as fertilizer.
>>
No. 933351 ID: 2202fb

Pike the skulls. Maybe it will discourage future imp attacks.
>>
No. 933355 ID: a9af05

>>933343
This.
>>
No. 933358 ID: 8d4593

>>933343
This The Second

>>933349
Also This.
A quick and easy solution. There is much more to do, after all.
>>
No. 933360 ID: 5b93d3

>>933341
Mushroom farm!

Any maybe keep a pile for Alkaline to start growing our slime population.
>>
No. 933365 ID: b1b4f3

>>933339
Turn them into fertilizer.
>>
No. 933366 ID: bcc41d

Hooray, gold! Petty it may be, but it's something to make up for the trouble!

Although, hm... where'd the imps get it from? Is there a trove out there? Are they robbing travellers?

>>933338
>Thus far I've identified...
Could be worse, seems like. That said, a curse of 'honesty' can be a pretty big liability against the right person. If it can be replicated, it might make for a very sneaky curse trap. Just imagine the cryptic puzzle explanation.

"To open this chest, answer your best.
[a riddle]
Fail times three, beware what flaps free."


Guess it'd be of more potential danger to a politician than an adventurer though.

>>933339
>>933340
Now there's an idea. Use bodies to bait a trap for the devil bear. Unless it's too intelligent to fall for a free windfall of impflesh. Hm. Maybe there are other monsters you could bait traps for? You did mention your lack of materials - any monsters we could trap or hunt ourselves using imp bait that contain substances sorely needed?

>Aftermath issues
Have a few words with Belphe about his conduct. You've been using the stick a lot with him and while he probably needs a little more of it, consider mixing in a little care and carrot. Emphasize the seriousness of abandoning his allies - even golem ones - and express your disappointment. There's a time and a place to give into the better part of valor and if he is to be a good support he needs to consider when. His problem was that he gave in too early and did not renew his courage even when you and the rest of the dungeon's forces had the upper hand.

But perhaps that's on you, a little. He hasn't trained to work with others and he used to be his own master not too long ago, and he changed himself into a support creature mostly out of terror of you. Maybe you can assign some teamwork training to increase his esprit de corps, and then reward him in some way the next time he performs well. Show him that there's more to this being a minion thing than just doing as he's told.
>>
No. 933428 ID: 7bb6a5

I don't suppose you could sell them to someone?
>>
No. 933433 ID: 977456

Mushroom fertiliser sounds risky. Mushrooms are already associated with death and imps have a dash of "makes everything terrible" that could mess up the rebirth aspect of mushrooms. Given that most of our mushroom plans are for positives, like food and potions, we probably want to focus on rebirth rather than death.
Give them to Hin. Maybe she can whip up an imp-hide helm with evil-eyes, or some cursed caltrops or something... Or if any are just faking death, seal them into a bellows and use them as a curse-blower!
Or... could you make an imp-nest in the valley near your dungeon and surround it with imp-repellant? Then you trade in a whole lot of corpses now for a steady supply perpetually. It would hopefully consume some of your miasma and provide a source of training and resources to your denizens.
>>
No. 933434 ID: 094652

Do some research on the corpses, see if you can find evidence of where they're getting the resources for their spawn points. Mulch the leftovers.
>>
No. 933450 ID: 10c408

>>933434
We already know the answers to that. if they make a nest, it'll most likely have a demon gate in it at some point and then they'll have gradual reinforcements.
>>
No. 933459 ID: b1b4f3

Deem try to get Moriko to eat some imp meat.
>>
No. 933460 ID: a27a13

>>933339
there is little chance your minions would be ok with eating imps. well, at least your human ones. especially moriko, even suggesting that would be an insult.

can they be turned into imp-repellant?
>>
No. 933489 ID: f57349

>>933351
Don't just put the imp heads on pikes, have Merud enchant them as remote sensors so you'll have more advance warning about intruders. Serves him right for triggering half the current troubles by making such a fuss over an old haunted skull in the first place.

As for the rest, try to render them down into some sort of shelf-stable potion that would be directly useful in a siege or other emergency, or failing that, some embarrassing effect Kallia might be willing to buy for use in pranks.
>>
No. 933490 ID: 2202fb

>>933489
I like this.

--

I think we need more traps, like lets have some room crushing traps that can only be deactivated by the outside for some coop action and/or some blade traps. Although, we may need to recruit a tinkerer to set up the machinery for that sort of thing. A gobbo or dorf would work.


Also, lets have neumono on the mind (idek if this will work or if it is still going, but i am going to suggest it anyway :P).
>>
No. 933493 ID: 91ee5f

>>933351
>>933489
>Imp heads on pikes
Wouldn’t that scare off any adventurers we want to come into our dungeon? That seems like the opposite of what we’d want.

Or even worse, it gets the attention of adventurers that are way too powerful for us to handle and they come permanently shut down our dungeon!

Plus, creepy things like that might lower our teammates morale and they might not want to stay with Deem if she starts doing things like that.
>>
No. 933500 ID: ea82cb

>>933493
It's also gross and macabre and several of our friends are going to hate the idea. Assuming Deem isn't one of the ones who'd hate it.

Clearly, we need to use the bodies to get gold. Turning them into potions or something you can sell might be a basic but useful idea.
>>
No. 933526 ID: 0fae41

>>933500
You can't sell potions to people without a license, personal dealings with Kallia aside.
>>
No. 933533 ID: 2202fb

>>933493
>>933500
I kinda feel like Deem would strongly disagree with the idea that skulls would make the dungeon too scary or macabre (or more accurately, that there is no such thing as too scary or macabre), based on her past opinions on things.

Additionally, they are imps, not people. It would be like using any other monster or animal skull as a decoration.
>>
No. 933594 ID: 977456

Back in chapter 2 she said that corpses are messy. Properly furnished and mounted corpses might be better, but then her denizens got all weird about remains... so best not to risk it. Even if it would be funny to have imp-heads glaring at and mocking intruders.
>>
No. 933601 ID: e8f59c
File 155845101035.png - (28.00KB , 600x800 , food_goo.png )
933601

>Pike the skulls. Maybe it will discourage future imp attacks.
That seems tacky. It's hardly something to boast about.

>Wouldn’t that scare off any adventurers we want to come into our dungeon?
I think you're underestimating how lowly imps are.

>Don't just put the imp heads on pikes, have Merud enchant them as remote sensors so you'll have more advance warning about intruders.
He's not a necromancer.

>I don't suppose you could sell them to someone?
Transporting them and keeping them fresh isn't really practical, especially for how little they'd bring. I could harvest some non-perishable parts.

>Can they be turned into imp-repellent?
Maybe if I'd caught the bully.

>Alkaline eats curses, right? Let her eat some of those corpses.
>Keep a pile for Alkaline to start growing our slime population.
She didn't want to get straight back to bed after waking up so she's still up. I call her over to me. "Now Alkaline, I want you and your slimes to grow up big and strong, so over the next few days I want you to eat plenty of imps, alright?"

Alkaline looks at the piled up imps and then starts trying to count on her fingers. Has Merud been teaching her that too? "How many?" she says.

"As many as you like."

My slime princess moves towards the pile with that determined look on her face that I've learned to worry about. She still doesn't have a good grasp of her limits.

"Just take one for now and go back to bed." I say. "You need your sleep as well."

She fishes one of the larger imps out of the mess, says her good-night and heads off to bed, slimes in tow. Ah well, she's not a fussy eater at least. I expect we'll be seeing another slime soon, she seems ready to bud.
>>
No. 933602 ID: e8f59c
File 155845110008.png - (30.99KB , 800x500 , imagine.png )
933602

>Spike a few with poison or curses, then leave them out in the hopes that the devil bear eats them and gets sick instead of absorbing the curse/poison and becoming ever stronger.
What a good idea. Removing that bear would definitely help me dominate the area. And if not the baits might turn up something else interesting.

>Honestly? I think a little of everything. Shove corpses into Doyle until he's full and be stern with him for his cowardice. Make fertiliser with several more and prepare any that are left for meals.
>We got mushrooms right? Fertiliser!
Yes I'll render a few down for stronger poison for the bait and see what else Doyle can make of them. Mulch some more - I'll work with Merud on a temporary golem for that - and I'll have a good basis for finally planting those mushrooms in too.

>Mushroom fertiliser sounds risky. Mushrooms are already associated with death and imps have a dash of "makes everything terrible" that could mess up the rebirth aspect of mushrooms.
Those mushroom have been specifically cultured to break down things and produce beneficial properties. It'll be fine.

>As for the rest, try to render them down into some sort of shelf-stable potion that would be directly useful in a siege or other emergency, or failing that, some embarrassing effect Kallia might be willing to buy for use in pranks.
True, I can't sell them except in private sales but building up a potion catalogue would be useful to help my denizens and as treasure to place in my dungeon. If all else fails, I don't know how much money Kallia has to spend on frivolous things but perhaps I can use it as an alternative payment for favours.

>Although, hm... where'd the imps get gold from? Is there a trove out there? Are they robbing travellers?
The earth-pulse stirring makes stray gold more accessible and imps like shiny things.

Or... could you make an imp-nest in the valley near your dungeon and surround it with imp-repellent?
If I'm to play around with geomancy near my dungeon, I'd prefer to do it with more useful creatures.
>>
No. 933603 ID: e8f59c
File 155845123583.png - (23.03KB , 800x550 , chak_wants_you_to_know_he_was_very_helpful.png )
933603

>Have a few words with Belphe about his conduct. You've been using the stick a lot with him and while he probably needs a little more of it, consider mixing in a little care and carrot.
>But perhaps that's on you, a little. He hasn't trained to work with others and he used to be his own master not too long ago, and he changed himself into a support creature mostly out of terror of you. Maybe you can assign some teamwork training to increase his esprit de corps, and then reward him in some way the next time he performs well.
That's true. I can be intimidating. He's hiding again but I'll have to give some thought to encouraging him.

>Deem try to get Moriko to eat some imp meat.
She didn't like the idea much last time I suggested it.

>There is little chance your minions would be ok with eating imps.
Moriko's abstainance aside, we've had little fresh meat outside of imps and the occasional frog. We've even brewed a drink out of imps, cacoffee!

Ah Moriko and Chakarchelou have made it back. She's got a trophy, The Imp Bully's head! That is a surprise, I didn't expect they'd be able to track anything down. The head seems to have been crudely hacked off. I know Moriko survival skills aren't great but that is odd. She's holding on to it distastefully as if she can barely stand to be near it.

"You finished off the ringleader." I say. "Well done Moriko." Chakarchelou makes a grumbling sound. "You too Chakarchelou."

"I suppose." Moriko says, not making eye contact.

She seems unhappy. I'd have thought she'd be proud. There's definitely something she is not saying. I should confront her about this, right?
>>
No. 933605 ID: 9caba2

>>933603
I'd guess she's annoyed at her own performance in the fight, particularly by allowing an enemy to sneak past her to attack you; since nobody got hurt from it she should take it as an opportunity to learn, rather than beat herself up about it.
She probably also still has a lot on her mind from earlier.

I would reassure her and let her rest for a night to clear up some stress before addressing it again.

Alternatively you could shower her in praise until she walks off from embarrassment.
>>
No. 933606 ID: 1774cd

>>933603
Tell her you want to know what happened but she can take her time if it's not urgent.
>>
No. 933607 ID: 10c408

Honestly, just thank her and bid her good night. We can mount a counterattack/spend some time exploring the wilderness and planting bait tomorrow.
>>
No. 933608 ID: f57349

Ask whether she has anything significant to report or if she'd rather just get back to meditating. Melodramatic confrontations can wait until you've got that curse medley out of your system. Might want to retrieve the rest of the imp leader's corpse, if it's going to be notably more useful for reagents, but Chakarchelou can provide directions to the battlefield.
>>
No. 933611 ID: 91ee5f

>>933601
>Alkaline looks at the piled up imps and then starts trying to count on her fingers. Has Merud been teaching her that too?
At the rate she’s learning, she’s gonna become smarter than you! Or, at the very least, you’ll be the only one here that doesn’t know how to read and write.

>>933603
Would Chakarchelou like to eat some of the imp corpses?
>>
No. 933616 ID: 0fae41

Considering she uses a blunt weapon, I'm impressed she managed to sever it at all. She can tell you about it after a good night's sleep.
So, can you make that imp-repellent with a hacked-off head?
I think you should keep a watch this night too for any delayed-reaction curse effects.
>>
No. 933622 ID: b1b4f3

>>933603
I think something else killed it, and they just tracked it to the kill site. Moriko doesn't want to admit it, out of shame... either because her shadow did it, or because the devil bear did it and she wasn't fast enough to do it herself or fight the bear.

Push a little, comment on the method of decapitation. How did that happen?

>>933606
This is a good way to phrase it. Any additional info would be better for a proactive defense.
>>
No. 933629 ID: 977456

She was tasked with breaking the enemy leadership and it is gone. Less-than-ideal circumstances don't mean a victory isn't a victory. And if she can pull this off weakened, imagine what she would be like in full-and-whole demon-mode!
If The Bear stole her kill, then that just means that her quest has been upgraded!
>>
No. 933630 ID: 24dff5

Guys I think Moriko might be being awkward because Chakarchelou either found it or killed it.
Oh well, we can figure it out later.
>>
No. 933631 ID: a27a13

>>933603
about moriko; normally i'd say of course, but lately you've been a little.. overzealous with your talks. tell her in private you can see there's something bothering her. if she wants to talk great but knowing her that's obviously unlikely.
if she doesn't want to talk, tell her you won't push her to share and that she's welcome to come to you when she's ready. maybe after the curse is gone.

also, can we get some imp-repellent now?
>>
No. 933632 ID: 2202fb

>>933603
She uses a hammer...
how tf did she hack it off...?

Could she have used some as-of-yet unknown (to us) demon power thing and thus is ashamed?
>>
No. 933636 ID: a27a13

>>933632
..did she just rip its head off with her bare hands? that's fucking brutal!
>>
No. 933643 ID: 10c408

>>933630
>>933632
>>933636
>>933616
I submit to all of you that she awkwardly convinced chak to saw the head off, given that we've never seen Moriko possess much more than the clothes on her back and her hammer.
>>
No. 933646 ID: ad51b8

Moriko, are you ok? I may not be in the best condition to talk but I can try and listen if you want to get something off your chest.

Don't forget to give Chakarchelou so chin scratches as well so he doesn't get jealous.
>>
No. 933648 ID: 17c2ee

Hug and congratulate her on a job well done. Also consider patting her head.
>>
No. 933654 ID: ea82cb

>>933622
This all feels like it's right.
>>
No. 933680 ID: 99ed9b

Of course you should be direct, your bluntness is your best trait. You also seem to have shrugged off your curses.
>>
No. 933761 ID: e95cec

"Hmm? What's the matter?"

Leave it alone if she demurs again.

I advise against more praise without knowing what's wrong, because it could just make her feel worse, if (say) they just found the head lying out in the open or something.
>>
No. 934395 ID: 8d4593

Nono. Don't pester her about it just yet. Whatever it is, let her get some sleep and then meditate on it. Ask her about it once she has a chance to cool down.
>>
No. 934414 ID: 99ed9b

I think Morkio needs a push. Deem told us she'd need to be pushed to get over her problem. Waiting forever for the right moment and not pushing it hasn't worked.

Delve to the heart of the problem, unrepentantly.
>>
No. 934925 ID: 2eba1a

>>933603
A simple query of "Did something happen?" and/or "Is anything wrong?" should suffice.
If its not about her escaped shadow self, she'll probably fess up. Moriko till this point has only been Self-sabotaging, she wouldnt do anything that would be bad for Deem and the other minions.
And if its more of her issues,we'll get it out of her eventually.
>>
No. 935261 ID: e8f59c
File 156012711060.png - (22.22KB , 800x550 , lets_talk_about_your_feelings.png )
935261

>At the rate Alkaline’s learning, she’s gonna become smarter than you! Or, at the very least, you’ll be the only one here that doesn’t know how to read and write.
Nonsense, Belphe is illiterate. And I would be proud if Alkaline did. A smart slime queen is a good slime for my dungeon.

>So, can you make that imp-repellent with a hacked-off head?
Using the Imp Bully's remains for that can be Belphe's first project.

>Hug and congratulate her on a job well done. Also consider patting her head.
She's not a small child or animal.

>Of course you should be direct, your bluntness is your best trait. You also seem to have shrugged off your curses.
Not at all. If I'm careful I can avoid accidentally spilling my interior monologue but otherwise I'm still rooting it out.

>I'd guess she's annoyed at her own performance in the fight, particularly by allowing an enemy to sneak past her to attack you; since nobody got hurt from it she should take it as an opportunity to learn, rather than beat herself up about it.
>I think something else killed it, and they just tracked it to the kill site. Moriko doesn't want to admit it, out of shame... either because her shadow did it, or because the devil bear did it and she wasn't fast enough to do it herself or fight the bear.
>Guys I think Moriko might be being awkward because Chakarchelou either found it or killed it.
>I submit to all of you that she awkwardly convinced chak to saw the head off, given that we've never seen Moriko possess much more than the clothes on her back and her hammer.
Those all seem plausible seeing her lack of pride at getting rid of the bully.

>Delve to the heart of the problem, unrepentantly.
I'll try to keep it simple but yes, I'll loose those words that burn to be said instead of keeping them trapped in my chest! So instead of all hypotheses and possibilities I might say, I rein in my enthusiasm and settle for four words.

"Is something the matter?"
>>
No. 935262 ID: e8f59c
File 156012717989.png - (27.32KB , 720x720 , headsup.png )
935262

"I didn't finish off anything." Moriko says, sweeping the imp head around in an angry arc. "I didn't find anything, I didn't catch anything, I just blundered around in the dark. This was left for me. Something out there is taunting me."

>Don't forget to give Chakarchelou so chin scratches as well so he doesn't get jealous.
Chakarchelou bumps into my leg for attention. He would like me to know he did lots of things.

I crouch to scratch his chin and look up at Moriko. "Catching imps in the dark is never easy. What do you mean by 'left for you'?"

My hammerai's face turns solemn. "There is a place I go to practice in the mornings. The head was left there. It can't be a coincidence."

>Would Chakarchelou like to eat some of the imp corpses?
I shoo him out so he can chew on one.
>>
No. 935264 ID: e8f59c
File 156012733325.png - (38.99KB , 800x550 , the_imps_are_invisible_to_you.png )
935264

"I think that's good." I say mildly.

"What." Moriko says, packing a remarkable amount of incredulity in that single flat syllable.

"The imps clearly knew enough about my dungeon to gather up and invade." I explain. "Since my entrance was sealed when they were created, they most likely are the ones from that displaced area that you, Reisarf and Stargazer found and didn't actually know where the dungeon was. They probably followed you back and have been sneaking around since then."

"Most of my denizens haven't gone out from the main entrance much since opening up the valley entrance." I continue. "Because of your daily practice you've have been the most visible denizen of my dungeon. So the most likely explanation is one imp or a committee of them left that present for you in the hopes it'd appease you."

Moriko frowns, trying to pick a hole in my explanation. "Surely I'd have seen something." she grumbles, mainly talking to herself. Both of us know perfectly well her wilderness skills are basically non-existent so I leave it unsaid.

Perhaps a little distraction from dwelling on her shortcomings is in order.

"So are you appeased?" I say.

She snorts. "Not especially. And no number of gifts from imps is going to change that." She looks at me more seriously. "Are you?"

I shrug. "You've already seen the messes imps make. I'd prefer more useful creatures. We need to do something about them but with the loss of their ringleader they should be less troublesome for the moment."

Moriko seems happier but I wonder if there's anything I should do for her to help set her mind at ease. Just one or two things though, I don't want to be overbearing.
>>
No. 935265 ID: 0fae41

It seems like an enchanted item to detect or pinpoint imps would help her. Perhaps something that channels her innate earthpulse sense?
>>
No. 935266 ID: 977456

>>935265
Huh... something to... defocus?... reduce her "resolution" by expanding her area could work. It might also be a great training tool. These can go either way, but it might be easier to train to her current ability while impeded than to improve her ability normally, and if she can keep her "gains" while not impeded... And then if she can invert the process to train to her augmented spread while not wearing the widget...
You could probably get inspiration for a design from the apprentice amulet.

Ask her to plan an expedition to permanently deal with The Devil Bear.

Offhandedly offer to help with any spiritual problems or adjustments she might be experiencing.
>>
No. 935268 ID: d581db

Could you use the earth pulse to scan the area around your dungeon or give her a enchantment that would make her better at tracking so if she tells that their is still more to do she can give the area on last final sweep to put her mind at ease?

Will either that or ask if she’d like you to join some of her sparring sessions to help keep an eye on you till the curses run their course and to maybe practice some boss enchantments on her to get her use to fighting with them and to give you some more experience fighting in all your new forms.
>>
No. 935271 ID: b1b4f3

>>935264
Could you make some extremely simple, tiny golems to watch her training area? Simple enough that you can disguise them amongst the rocks or trees. The golem's structure should just be enough to support a single eye.

You could put these in a variety of places near the dungeon, to give an early warning for adventurers and to keep an eye out for things sneaking around.
>>
No. 935275 ID: f2320a

>>935264
i really want to recruit the imps we should see waht we can make to bait/locate/detect/capture the imps
>>
No. 935283 ID: 49ea2b

>>935275
I think recent events showed us how we don't want any goblins anywhere in the dungeon. At the very most we may allow them to set up camp outside, but only if we can make sure they can't get in again. Still, I see no reason to do that now that the possessing imp's gone, unless "dispersing" wasn't fatal.
>>
No. 935294 ID: 8346a9

that went.. uncharacteristically well! good, learn from this.

do we even know what she wants anymore?
>>
No. 935305 ID: 1774cd

>>935264
Some martial artists talk about training their spiritual sense by doing things blindfolded- has Moriko ever attempted that?
>>
No. 935312 ID: 0a7f21

Don't bring this up to her, but there's a good chance it's her shadow self that left the imp bully head there. I'd go there and see if you can find any indications or traces of such yourself.
>>
No. 935315 ID: 10c408

Honestly? With the imp hordes in disarray and lacking leadership, it's probably a good time to go and settle a score with a very specific member of the ursidae family that has slighted you.
>>
No. 935362 ID: de070a

I think that you should try and look for whatever gave her the head. I have a sneaking suspicion that the imps did not give her the head. And even if they were the ones, you could easily recruit them by using Moriko (No offense to Moriko).
>>
No. 935369 ID: a85e3f

>>935366
If you need to delete a post, you just tick its check box and use the delete button at the bottom right of the page.

The (well hidden) FAQ has some more post formatting info:
https://tgchan.org/kusaba/news.php?p=faq
>>
No. 935453 ID: b0b724

If she's unsatisfied then it is time to get some satisfaction. Let's hunt the bear. Letting Moriko take the lead on this, and hopefully delivering the coup de grace, would be a good start to improving her mood.

Making a trinket to help her wilderness skills would be nice if possible, though if it stays in the backlog for awhile that's fine.
>>
No. 935636 ID: 2eba1a

>>935266
Yes, I want those bear bones to build the Bear Bone golem. But as soon as this curse business has run its course.
Until then, maybe she'd like it if you did some group meditation?
>>
No. 935872 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156059965868.png - (28.72KB , 600x750 , that_would_make_her_more_marketable.png )
935872

>Do we even know what Moriko wants anymore?
She wants to develop her fighting skills and distance herself from her past! This is complicated by her demonic ancestry likely being a key factor to the development of her family's style.

>That went.. uncharacteristically well! Good, learn from this.
"Excuse me?"

Moriko turns to look at me. "Did you say something?"

I clear my throat. "Actually, I did have a thought."

>Honestly? With the imp hordes in disarray and lacking leadership, it's probably a good time to go and settle a score with a very specific member of the ursidae family that has slighted you.
"With the imps in disarray, now is a perfect chance to firm up our holding over the area. I think it's time to try and track down the devil bear. We have to head back to town a few weeks from now so we have until then." To do otherwise will spread my denizens far too thin. Even if we don't find it, I need people to put out the poison bait anyway.

I see eagerness flicker on her face, but she nods solemnly instead. I think I have to tease her a little for that.

>Some martial artists talk about training their spiritual sense by doing things blindfolded- has Moriko ever attempted that?
"Also you're going to do it blindfolded."

Moriko blinks first. "What?"

"I think you could stand to hone your spiritual sense for non-combat uses. I will need a little time to think about the best method, although perhaps just throwing you out of the nest to see if you learn to fly would work best."

"I," she stammers, "I suppose that -" She starts again. "I suppose there is potential merit in that."

I eventually let her excuse herself so she can get back to bed.
>>
No. 935873 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156059974529.png - (27.54KB , 800x500 , monster_hangouts.png )
935873

I don't have an interrupted sleep to get back to so I handle my more wakeful denizens. Chakarchelou has been fed and provided with an abundance of chin scratches, Doyle has been given the main ingredient to brew up some imp repellent and the orange slime is safely contained so it can't hurt itself.

>I really want to recruit the imps we should see what we can make to bait/locate/detect/capture the imps
I've said previously they're quite a headache to keep in a dungeon.

>Could you use the earth pulse to scan the area around your dungeon or give her a enchantment that would make her better at tracking so if she tells that their is still more to do she can give the area on last final sweep to put her mind at ease?
I don't currently have any structures in my dungeon to do that and the fastest way for her to learn is by doing.

>Could you make some extremely simple, tiny golems to watch her training area? Simple enough that you can disguise them amongst the rocks or trees. The golem's structure should just be enough to support a single eye.
Simple golems like that are extremely short ranged.

>It seems like an enchanted item to detect or pinpoint imps would help her. Perhaps something that channels her innate earthpulse sense?
Bait, the repellent and laying a few simple traps should help deal with the imps.

>Don't bring this up to her, but there's a good chance it's her shadow self that left the imp bully head there. I'd go there and see if you can find any indications or traces of such yourself.
>I think that you should try and look for whatever gave her the head. I have a sneaking suspicion that the imps did not give her the head.
Moriko and Chakarchelou didn't see anything. I don't think I'd turn up any extra clues. I'm still not entirely convinced about the shadow either. We should have seen a more obvious manifestation of it by now.

I start reactivating my destroyed golems and sending them to assist in the clean-up. There's thankfully little damage. Aside from the loose rocks they prised out of the walls, they've smashed some pots I made, and one of Hin's shirts and a towel that were left out in the thaumatorium have been shredded. I suspect but cannot prove they've eaten some of the soap too.
>>
No. 935874 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156059983886.png - (41.43KB , 800x500 , choose_your_party.png )
935874

For the bear hunt, I should consider who else to bring. Moriko is going. I am going as well, because it's that or get her to hand over the token locking my magic to someone else. "I am a little selfish in wanting a rematch with that bear as well." I am not the strongest fighter though.

However there is a lot of bait to put out over the next few days and that would be an enormous bear carcass to haul back if successful. Perhaps I should bring others. Considering my past few interactions with Moriko, a chaperone might be needed if nothing else.

Chakarchelou has been dependable and I hope to see some developments from him soon. The Covetous Ring I gave him has yet to show any real effects but I have only given him a little gold to hoard thus far. Making a quasidragon more dragonish will be a long term project.

Merud's been invaluable for sustaining the golem labour force but we've been so busy covering the essentials that there's been little in the way of golem research done. Perhaps some more practical research would be good for him. He's also possibly cursed and both of us going would mean ordering the golems around would be a little difficult for my denizens still at the dungeon.

Hin's healthy now. I still don't know where that gristleworm came from. The cure was almost as much of a headache as the sickness but she's settled into her forge now. I didn't get enough mana from the imps to commission any more magical items though, perhaps this would be a good change of pace for her and a chance to try out her new hammer.

Alkaline is steadily growing into her role as a slime queen. The only sour note is that strange orange slime and letting her get so attached to it. That little accidentally spawned slime is not a healthy creature, it isn't long for this world. She's barely left the dungeon since she was decanted, perhaps it would be a good experience.

Reisarf and Stargazer are as inscrutable as ever. Reisarf learnt how to become a magical (storage container) girl and indulging some of his ideas seems to make him happy. I think. They're the strongest fighters I have after Moriko.

Doyle could be put to work in a support role providing potions for myself and Moriko. The low quality potions he's made thus far have been effective and had manageable side effects but he seems to be afraid of everything.

I can, of course, bring golems along as well.

I don't want to strip my dungeon's defences too much, but it would make sense to commit enough force that I can take down the bear without too many injuries or risk of it escaping.
>>
No. 935877 ID: ad51b8

I'm going to say bring, Chakarchelou, Alkaline, and Doyle.

Chakarchelou for tracking and to help him get a little stronger

Alkaline for her to get some more exprince

and Doyle to try and beat some backbone into the little coward. Plus his odd side effect potions tend to help Alkaline out a bit when it comes to developing random powers and to help heal everyone else should they need it.
>>
No. 935879 ID: 1774cd

>>935874
Hin doesn't want to be a fighter- we've had to make do due to limited resources, but when we have options we shouldn't use her. Reisarf would be very useful what with the teleports and hexes, but I'm not feeling it for some reason. Alkaline would be fantastic because she's a curse-eater. Did her kids inherit that property?

Idea: Organize golem vs slime skirmishes when we get some more. Let both Merud and Alkaline get used to commanding, eh?
>>
No. 935881 ID: 10c408

Bring chak, alkaline and merud's brute golem. Put a request for making an actual mace to Hin before we depart. Also let Reisarif know that until we get back, he gets to be the designated dungeon minder while Merud does research.
>>
No. 935887 ID: 0fae41

Bring Hin, the brute+ golem, and Alkaline. Alkaline will provide ranged support and sticky traps, as well as eating curses. The brute+ is our strongest single golem, besides you of course. Hin makes a good chaperone and reinforced bear wrestler.
>>
No. 935901 ID: 8346a9

>blindfolded
In what way is this a good idea? aren't you underestimating the bear? Its attacks can cause lasting harm, remember?

The more people we bring, the less the victory will mean to moriko.

I say bring Alkaline and a bunch of golems. And get some potions from Doyle, it's not like it needs to be there to give support.
>>
No. 935904 ID: b1b4f3

>>935901
I think Moriko is meant to track the bear blindfolded, not fight it that way.
>>
No. 935913 ID: 8d4593

>>935877
Go with this configuration.

Taking Reisarf and Stargazer is super overkill, and leaves the dungeon too open, Merude and Hin could both use a bit LESS excitement right now, and the Golems have Digging to do. There's always digging to do. What are they digging now anyway? A treasury?
>>
No. 935914 ID: a9af05

>>935874
Let's not bring Hin, since she said that she doesn't want to be a fighter.

Let's bring Chakarchelou and Alkaline.
>>
No. 935924 ID: 49ea2b

>>935874
It's been a while since it was suggested, but don't forget to have Merud make another door golem for the dungeon's entrance.

>>935877
This works. I'd explain why, but this >>935913 covers everything I would've anyway.
>>
No. 935938 ID: 5b93d3

>>935874
Reisarf & Stargazer, but ask Hin if she wants to come along too (she didn't join up to fight, but might want to give the hammer a try regardless).

>For the bear hunt, I should consider who else to bring. Moriko is going. I am going as well, because it's that or get her to hand over the token locking my magic to someone else. "I am a little selfish in wanting a rematch with that bear as well." I am not the strongest fighter though.

Inner monologue slipping out out loud? Maybe forcing Deem to voice her desires is part of the curse...
>>
No. 935939 ID: 977456

I would like to let Moriko do some planning for this expedition. I feel that she would benefit from having some more-interactive responsibilities. Her current duties mostly consist of standing around looking pretty... dangerous.

I really want worst-slime to live! Who knows, it might even be an ugly-duckling scenario. If its weakness is due less to general inadequacy and more to being overloaded by conflicting or overwhelming elements, then if it could be stabilised it might become something quite potent, versatile, or elaborate.
With no current theories on saving Worst Slime, seek a different perspective. Get your alienist to research it!
Also ask Merud if any newfangled Golemetry techniques might be used to support its mana channels or some similar nonsense. If nothing else, turning a slime into a half-golem would be an amazing research project, and who better to do it than a golemetry academic and an actual Dungeon?
>>
No. 935943 ID: 664519

>>935939
>Research
Seconding
>>
No. 935948 ID: 8d4593

>>935939
Reisarf messing around with condensed curses unsupervised?
What's the worst that can happen?

I like the idea.
>>
No. 935976 ID: 1ed92d

>>935874
Chakarchelou, Reisarf and Stargazer should go with you. The elite partners and the two denizens with the most potential seems like a good fit for a bear hunt.
>>
No. 935984 ID: b0b724

>>935938
Agreed. Also, Hin might have changed her mind since then. Bring Char, too.

Letting Merud get some actual research done would be smart.
>>
No. 935986 ID: b1b4f3

Guys keep in mind there's been a lot of downtime lately. Merud has been getting research done, Hin has been doing work (though I don't know exactly what), etc.

I vote we bring Merud. Also yes bring the cowardly cauldron and chakarchelou.
Do we have to worry about death here, or does the respawn mechanic reach outside of the dungeon?
>>
No. 935994 ID: b0b724

>>935986
We were informed explicitly that not a lot of research has been done. A few weeks off attack duty would be great for Merud.
>>
No. 936000 ID: f57349

I'd say bring Alkaline, Chakarchelou, Doyle, half the homunculi, and as many combat-effective slimes as possible. Good spread of support options that way, including curse-absorbing slime for first aid, but nobody who'll be likely to steal the kill and thus leave Moriko even more frustrated. Bit of an adventure should give the weaker denizens opportunity to level up.

Also important, that leaves the brute golems for construction work and Merud's research, Hin secure in the forge doing what she loves instead of tromping around like a murderhobo, Reisarf and Stargazer free to start setting up living quarters, gardening, and an observatory in the valley... and all those combatants well-rested and present at the base, just in case adventurers show up while you're out hunting.
>>
No. 937710 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156188713624.png - (32.77KB , 800x550 , the_chosen_ones.png )
937710

>Taking Reisarf and Stargazer is super overkill, and leaves the dungeon too open, Merud and Hin could both use a bit LESS excitement right now, and the golems have digging to do.
Good points, I just need a little help to be sure we can catch the devil bear. That narrows it down.

>Alkaline would be fantastic because she's a curse-eater. Did her kids inherit that property?
Only up to a very limited extent if they haven't been specialised in that area.

>Chakarchelou for tracking and to help him get a little stronger
>Alkaline for her to get some more experience
>Doyle to try and beat some backbone into the little coward. Plus his odd side effect potions tend to help Alkaline out a bit when it comes to developing random powers and to help heal everyone else should they need it.
I don't want to take too many, I think I'll go with Alkaline and Doyle as they should work together better and they both need the experience more. Alkaline won't have too many opportunities to leave the dungeon when she's older.

I approach Moriko shortly after she wakes up to leave for her dawn practice.

>I'd say bring Alkaline, Chakarchelou, Doyle, half the homunculi, and as many combat-effective slimes as possible.
"I want some extra support, not to strip the dungeon."

She slows down to let me catch up. "I'm sorry, did you just say you needed more clothes? Is your body changing again?"

"No, I didn't mean to say that." I say. "I just needed to let you know I've decided to bring Alkaline and Doyle along. They could both do with more experience in these sorts of situation. We might take some golems as well to help bring anything useful back."

>I would like to let Moriko do some planning for this expedition. I feel that she would benefit from having some more-interactive responsibilities. Her current duties mostly consist of standing around looking pretty... dangerous.
"I want you to finalise the preparations." I tell the hammerai. "We'll be out about a week, so plan accordingly."

Moriko is looking extremely serious so I think that means she's happy. I'm starting to have a good feeling about this little expedition.
>>
No. 937711 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156188724533.png - (49.14KB , 750x600 , research_this_terrible_creature.png )
937711

>I really want worst-slime to live! Who knows, it might even be an ugly-duckling scenario. If its weakness is due less to general inadequacy and more to being overloaded by conflicting or overwhelming elements, then if it could be stabilised it might become something quite potent, versatile, or elaborate.
It isn't. Tenuous, ephemeral, indistinct; these are all words that could be used to describe that slime. It barely knows it is alive.

>With no current theories on saving Worst Slime, seek a different perspective. Get your alienist to research it!
Still I suppose research for research's sake may still be worthwhile. And should he hit on a solution, Alkaline will be happier.

>Reisarf messing around with condensed curses unsupervised?
>What's the worst that can happen?
Well it's very difficult for him to accidentally die and my own exposure was bizarrely lacking in any obviously harmful curses.

>Also ask Merud if any newfangled Golemetry techniques might be used to support its mana channels or some similar nonsense. If nothing else, turning a slime into a half-golem would be an amazing research project, and who better to do it than a golemetry academic and an actual Dungeon?
I approach my two wizards (and Stargazer) after breakfast.

"Are we doing the rest of the raw mana experiments before you go?" Reisarf says.

"Ah, no." I pat myself. "And we'd best wait until we're sure everything from the first set of them is resolved."

He actually looks a little disappointed.

"I do have a new project for you though." I hold out the potted orange slime. Reisarf looks at it. The slime burbles. Merud eventually takes it off my hands. "I need you to look after this slime while I'm away and hopefully have some ideas to make it a healthier slime by the time I come back. Merud, I'd like you to help if you can too."

>Idea: Organize golem vs slime skirmishes when we get some more. Let both Merud and Alkaline get used to commanding, eh?
"Also I need you to work on making some of the golems suitable as training dummies for the slimes." I add.

"I think I can do that." He pulls a scrap of paper out of his robe and jots down some reminders to himself.

>It's been a while since it was suggested, but don't forget to have Merud make another door golem for the dungeon's entrance.
"We still don't have an especially good front door so perhaps keep that blocking golem ready too."

"Pancake?" Reisarf asks.

"If you're still hungry I think there's some left over." I say. "Merud, could you stay a little longer? I need to talk about the excavations as well."
>>
No. 937712 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156188738307.png - (24.85KB , 800x550 , excavate_planning_date.png )
937712

>Put a request for making an actual mace to Hin before we depart.
I have a perfectly good spear already.

>There's always digging to do. What are they digging now anyway? A treasury?
My golems spent the past week simply widening the tunnel up to the valley. The old tunnel was functional but narrow. It's now much easier to move goods up there and the brute golems no longer need to walk sideways down it. It'll make it much easier to move rubble from my diggings up there for more permanent housing.

Digging out the rooms for the Treasury and the Brewery is next. It will be good to move towards a more balanced configuration, this long ungainly tunnel is causing me some awkwardness regulating the earth-pulse.

I call Hin in to discuss the preparations for the next two rooms with Merud and her. I could dig rooms for the Treasury and Brewery, or instead re-purpose the Resurrection Matrix into a treasury. I'd just need to dedicate one of the new rooms to be a new matrix.

For some reason they're curious if I'm intending to replace the sarcophagus. I suppose it was rushed. Perhaps a more artistic medium for resurrection is in order.

Where to put the rooms though? They both can be fairly small, about the size of the Golem Totem.

The Brewery needs a measure of isolation and it might be good to locate it near the Thaumatorium for the ready access to its water reservoir.

The Treasury should be somewhere deep in the dungeon.

I will have to make sure not to cap off any natural lines of future expansion. Other than that, I have a lot of freedom in locating the rooms and what they should look like.
>>
No. 937715 ID: f57349

If the treasury won't be accessed frequently, and will help balance out the earth pulse when it's near the geometric center of the dungeon, you should connect it to a concealed door in the meditation room. Add another twenty or thirty feet of narrow, twisting hallway, though, both to muffle sound and to reserve space for future installation of traps. Put the actual vault right where Merud's hat-poof is on that map.

As for the brewery, how about next to the golem totem, replacing the shortest of the imp tunnels with a door suitable for sealing? No real risk of cutting off further expansion that way since there's nothing beyond it but the cliff face.
>>
No. 937722 ID: bcc41d

Treasury goes near the middle, yes, preferable somewhere behind a potntially trappable corridor.

I wouldn't put the brewery close to the Golem Totem OR the Thaumatorium - both of those are environments that require concentration, no? Can't have potion processing (or accidents) disturbing people meditating, relaxing or working! Too close to the entrance may not help balance out the current flow of mana through the dungeon either.

Put the Brewery in the middle as well, towards the Hidden Valley. If water transportation is an issue, long-term perhaps create some sort of mechanism or aqueduct to bring in water from the Thaumatorium - or from the outside if we can ensure regular flow by damming up a bit of a reservoir in the future.

... question for Merud. He'll be busy with stuff while you're gone, but has he gotten any further along in his idea for developing Golem armor for non-Golemeters? That still seems worth pursuing, but it's been a while since it was discussed.

And are there any other frie- minions that could use instructions on top of their own initiative while you're out, or should we just leave them to handle things? I do wonder whether you shouldn't lay down some strategy. Reisarf's been our star boy/girl of late, but odds are any new party will have numbers or a better counter for him, based on the previous visitors' observations (although odds are they'll think of him as a brother/sister duo).

... then again, you can probably just inhabit one of the regular golems here if there's trouble, can't you.
>>
No. 937727 ID: 0fae41

Build the Brewery in the imp excavation near the thaumatorium door. Either one will work but preferably the one to the left on this map. The brewery shouldn't get a lot of through traffic.
The resurrection matrix is deep enough and hidden enough for a treasury, and close to your heart. Place the new one closer to the valley - between the forge and meditation room for now. What are some good forms for the new matrix? Perhaps a spawning pool styled after your slime queen? How about a mushroom garden?
>>
No. 937773 ID: 977456

>Treasury behind traps.
The treasury is the reserve that isn't "gambled" in The Dungeon Game. It should be behind one of those doors that is just a wall-texture and not a discreet game-object that players can interact with.
>>
No. 937819 ID: 8d4593
File 156194210621.png - (7.90KB , 511x358 , Brewry prop.png )
937819

Build the Brewery in the excavation beyond the far end of the thaumatorium, and have a small staff only access tunnel lead to it from the main hall.

I suggest we spend some extra time on it and add some verticality. I think we can make better use of Belphy if we could use the dungeon itself to funnel adventurers into his concoctions. Idea in image.
>>
No. 937826 ID: 977456

>>937819
Ooooh, I like that, especially the spiral staircase with venomous vomit from the top. I fear though that it might be a bit large. Can we get a rough estimate of a practical volume for the room? The impression I am getting is about five by five metres at a single storey tall and it'd need space for barrels/vats and tables at the least. Would a 2x2 metre staircase leading to a 4x4 brewery work?
>>
No. 937864 ID: 2eba1a

>>937819
Maybe if you sorta built this room in reverse? so the ramp is going up from the entrance, towards where Doyle would be, sou he could dump chemicals down on anyone trying to force their way in? You could arrange the storage area around the top of that area, and have the work area at the bottom , so you could easily get water from the Thaumatorium into there in an emergency, maybe have a mechanism to flood the bottom if need be. It'd probably be easier then making mechanical stairs right now, I think.
>>
No. 937925 ID: 1774cd

>>937712
I think it's important to ask THEIR input on what they want the resurrection matrix to look like.
>>
No. 937946 ID: 10c408

Honestly, the thaumatorium's water reserve is going to deplete itself eventually. And putting the brewery next to the what the others consider to be the swimming/bathing area is going to raise every non-monster's eyebrows at best.

And because of that, we should put it somewhere near the mediation chamber. Either before or after it depending on how the wind usually flows through that room.
>>
No. 937982 ID: 2eba1a

>>937946
>>And putting the brewery next to the what the others consider to be the swimming/bathing area is going to raise every non-monster's eyebrows at best.

Unless theyre into drinking in the tub.
>>
No. 937992 ID: f57349

>>937773
Yeah, but we've had problems in the past with how long it takes to set up sealing designations in the face of unexpected adventurer arrival. If this is going to be our maximum-security last-ditch fallback vault, there's no such thing as too many layers of protection.

Also, it might someday be repurposed as another type of treasure vault, or a checkpoint on the way to the final boss. Meditation room was mentioned as being compatible with puzzles.
>>
No. 937996 ID: 10c408

>>937982
I meant that fetching water from the nearest source, which would be the thaumatorium's pool, would cause a few issues.

But if we put the brewery near the valley exit, collecting rainwater would be just as easy as moving it to the it's intended destination since the room would be so close.
>>
No. 938028 ID: 977456

Don't think of using bathwater as making the brews disgusting, think of it as keeping the pool clean! Who is going to pee into the pool when they know they will be drinking it later?
How much imp-bits and curse-slime ended up in the water when you weren't looking?
>>
No. 938254 ID: 2eba1a

>>938028
I dont think anyone was going to be using the water as is, if we useit to brew anything it'd have to be purified first anyway. Otherwise whatever we were trying to make probably wouldnt come out right in the first place.
I was thinking we would put it close to the Thaumatorium more as a a safety precaution in case of accidental spillage, or chemical accident so itd be easy to get water to flush it, or wash any harmful chemicals off someone.
>>
No. 938260 ID: 151656

>>937996
>>938028
>>938254
Let me stop you all right there.

>>/questdis/129807
>There's actually a cistern on the thaumatorium's east side they've been using for drinking water (the circular thing on the map).
>It's just easier to locate the brewery near an existing cistern instead of having to carry water there every time a cauldron refill's needed.
So yeah, nobody's drinking bathwater or using it to make potions.
>>
No. 938264 ID: 1a6fd4

>>938260
>nobody's drinking bathwater
Except Alkaline, occasionally.
>>
No. 938286 ID: 977456

>>938254
It should be possible to have some slopes and such to keep spills from migrating, but more to the point, there are going to be potions and bombs and bodyparts and noodles and chaos magic and slimes and ancient skeletons and such flying around, so the pool is going to need a cleansing method someday regardless. So I don't see it as a problem that can be avoided.
>>
No. 938371 ID: bcc41d

>>938286
Should we be that worried about the pool needing a cleansing method when we have slimes in the dungeon? I mean... aren’t they like living filters? And pumping and carrying water will train them and make them stronger, just as it did Alkaline.
>>
No. 938372 ID: 2eba1a

>>938286
>>938260
Im having a hard time determining if these are disagreements or not...
>>
No. 938381 ID: 91ee5f

>>938371
>pumping and carrying water will train them and make them stronger, just as it did Alkaline.
Luckily, those slimes have got Stargazer, the best teacher to help them learn how to do that, seeing as she’s also good at pumping and carrying water: >>/questarch/688888 !
>>
No. 938382 ID: bcc41d

>>938381
I mean, she's not exactly suitable for teaching them how to best filter the water, is sh-

>A bunch of uniformed slimes in a classroom fansliming over Stargazer's ability to shapeshift
>[Stargaze-sensei~~~!!!]

Nevermind, you have a point.

Anyway, at some point we obviously also need to seriously consider improving the educational facilities in this Dungeon. Our non-literates still need to learn to read, for one.
>>
No. 938440 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156249376385.png - (26.89KB , 800x600 , things_go_here.png )
938440

>If the treasury won't be accessed frequently, and will help balance out the earth pulse when it's near the geometric centre of the dungeon, you should connect it to a concealed door in the meditation room.
It doesn't have to be the geometric centre but that is sensible. That door absolutely needs to be locked down when the dungeon's invaded and it'll be a little unsteady for now but conditions will improve as I dig more rooms in that direction. Having something to accumulate the earth pulse near the Meditation Room might provide interesting dividends for Moriko too.

>I was thinking we would put it close to the Thaumatorium more as a a safety precaution in case of accidental spillage, or chemical accident so it'd be easy to get water to flush it, or wash any harmful chemicals off someone.
Good thinking. If I put it on the the side closer to the cliff face I can bore a drainage tunnel as well. I don't think I want to mix potion run-off with the bath gutter. The brewery would be a useful safe room if anyone gets stranded on that side of the dungeon too.

>I suggest we spend some extra time on it and add some verticality. I think we can make better use of Belphy if we could use the dungeon itself to funnel adventurers into his concoctions.
It's an interesting idea but this unfortunately isn't the best place for it - the imp excavations are roughly on the same level and it's a fairly open room so Doyle would still be potentially exposed if he was on top of a short platform.

That sort of dangerous spiral stairway would work better at a larger scale, I'll have to remember it.

I think a small scale similar idea would be possible by digging out a small niche and building a dispensing mechanism into the wall fed from the brewery side. Put a simple puzzle there with a potion reward and something nasty can come out instead if they fail.

It'd also be a useful way to slip a potion or two to anyone in the thaumatorium before a fight.

>Who is going to pee into the pool when they know they will be drinking it later?
>How much imp-bits and curse-slime ended up in the water when you weren't looking?
Not enough to significantly contaminate it.

>Nobody's drinking bathwater
>Except Alkaline, occasionally.
She's a slime, it's fine.

>Should we be that worried about the pool needing a cleansing method when we have slimes in the dungeon? I mean... aren’t they like living filters? And pumping and carrying water will train them and make them stronger, just as it did Alkaline.
>Luckily, those slimes have got Stargazer, the best teacher to help them learn how to do that, seeing as she’s also good at pumping and carrying water
>A bunch of uniformed slimes in a classroom fansliming over Stargazer's ability to shapeshift
>[Stargaze-sensei~~~!!!]
Yes it would be sensible to regularly put slimes in there. Hopefully Stargazer wouldn't be too resentful of them, she still seems a little on edge around Alkaline. Perhaps she'd enjoy the opportunity to show off.
>>
No. 938441 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156249383936.png - (27.40KB , 800x600 , deem_duo_v2.png )
938441

>Anyway, at some point we obviously also need to seriously consider improving the educational facilities in this Dungeon. Our non-literates still need to learn to read, for one.
"A space for training is always useful." I suppose the Meditation Room would be useful for some kinds of lesson. As for reading, well, there was a chance but it wasn't as important as some of the other things to get on top of.

>You can probably just inhabit one of the regular golems here if there's trouble, can't you.
In an emergency, yes, but they're not really designed to accommodate me. Thanks to the Golem Totem, I can maintain some additional links to golems, I might take some precautions...

I spend a good chunk of the morning throwing together a glorified puppet modelled after my upgraded homunculus body. It won't be able to talk or use magic but it can at least listen, nod, shake its head and frown while I'm using it. While not under my direct control it won't be good for much but since it's a reproduction of my current body, it shouldn't need much mana while idle either.

>I think it's important to ask THEIR input on what they want the resurrection matrix to look like.
>What are some good forms for the new matrix? Perhaps a spawning pool styled after your slime queen? How about a mushroom garden?
Well, pools are excellent liminal zones. Some kind of garden might be a more soothing place to recuperate but they still need a place to emerge from. You know a pool or a hole or a tunnel or a geode or an egg or a mud-pit or a coffin or something.

I leave it as a task for my denizens to come up with ideas.

>... question for Merud. He'll be busy with stuff while you're gone, but has he gotten any further along in his idea for developing Golem armor for non-Golemeters? That still seems worth pursuing, but it's been a while since it was discussed.
No he hasn't had much chance. I'd need to give him an arcane workshop to let him do more focused work.
>>
No. 938442 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156249410082.png - (34.32KB , 800x550 , golems_are_a_gear_item.png )
938442

By mid-morning, Moriko comes to get me.

The equipment she's organised for a week of exploration and bear fighting looks comprehensive. We have cooking and camping supplies, some basic tools, a tent, water, food for Moriko, Alkaline and Doyle. We're taking Alkaline's first slime too and two homunculi to help carry things and pin down the devil bear in a fight. The scanning lens is in there too.

"What's this for?" I say to Moriko, nudging the clay blocks at the centre. "Do you want me to make another golem?"

"No, that is for you." Moriko says. "The slimes and that cauldron won't be able to carry much. Additional bulk and strength might be useful if you're going to try to hold the line against that beast. And the additional material might be useful should you be taking on other forms again."

I nod those are all sensible arguments. "So I'll be an ersatz Hin for the next few days." I say. "It'll raise my mana consumption a little, but that should be manageable." Annoying but tolerable. I wonder if perhaps I should have stayed with a more compact body when I upgraded it. I have noticed this taller body already isn't as mana-efficient to operate as my old one and this will be bigger again.

To distract myself I pick up the Fixity Bangle. "And this?"

"Merud suggested -" Ahah, looks like she got some advice on what to pack - "that since you aren't a proficient combat caster, it could be used to sustain strengthening magic on a single person."

"It'll only lock in physical changes but that's clever." I say. "We might as well get some use out of it before I have to return it to Liana."

"And the potions?" Moriko's set aside two of the healing potions bought off Liana and one of the healing potions with the slimey side effects.

"Emergency healing." Moriko says bluntly.

I nod again. It might be difficult for Doyle to conjure up something that's precisely what we want on the fly and Alkaline's slime milk only has a very weak healing effect.

This seems fairly complete but is there anything else I should get ready or bring?
>>
No. 938444 ID: 017879

>>938442
Only a positive can-do attitude!
>>
No. 938445 ID: f57349

Given you're planning to kill the devilbear, be sure to bring whatever tools or supplies you'd need to field-dress the meat, extract and preserve magical giblets, that sort of thing. A boning knife and some salt at the very least. Might already be included with the cooking stuff but it's worth double checking.
>>
No. 938446 ID: 10c408

Make sure that your basic tools and supplies includes a few needles and some extra spools of threads. Won't weight hardly anything and being able to patch up the more important gear (or earth forbid, Moriko herself if all the healing got used up) would be highly critical.

As for what else to do....

Before you leave, make sure that Doyle's been properly filled to slow brew something useful besides imp coffee throughout the day.

In fact, it doesn't have to be alchemy related. Having dinner slow cooked in doyle while we travel would save SOO much time and effort on the first day.
>>
No. 938447 ID: 9caba2

>>938442
If you have any long-ish spears they could be handy for bracing against a charge in case the bear gets desperate enough.

Though I imagine they'd have to be pretty darn sturdy to not snap on its mass.

In terms of strategies for fighting the bear, would it be viable to wound it and wait for it to bleed out?
>>
No. 938449 ID: 5b93d3

>>938442
>This seems fairly complete but is there anything else I should get ready or bring?

Deem, are you familiar with the popular hunting cant "We're Going on a Bear Hunt?
>>
No. 938451 ID: 10c408

>>938447
There's three main ways I can think of for subjecting the devil bear to death by exsanguination and none of them are currently feasible. (specialty arrows, cutting it's throat somehow or just stabbing it a whole bunch after making sure to hamstring it beforehand.)

We're not hunting a prey animal. We're not even hunting a normal bear. This excursion is all about finding and killing the devil bear so that it stops being a threat and we can get our stuff back. Assuming it's still alive, wounding it so it bleeds and then just running away isn't a good plan. It's going to catch up at some point and resume fighting, presumably.
>>
No. 938452 ID: b0b724

>>938445
Yeah, ways to help carry back the corpse would be good.
>>
No. 938459 ID: bcc41d

Will Alkaline be budding new slimes on the road? Something to keep them tucked and safe while they... 'grow', maybe?
>>
No. 938477 ID: b1b4f3

>>938442
>mana efficiency issues
Okay how about when you bulk up, you use a shorter form again? You might not need as much clay, even. Heck since we're going into combat you should optimize your new form for it.

Hmm, any ideas for something to bring to keep the group entertained while camping? Some books or a deck of cards? What about something to train Alkaline's abilities with?
>>
No. 938484 ID: 1ed92d

>>938442
Bring a big rock in case you need to crush something and don't want to get it on Moriko's hammer. Otherwise, can't think of anything absolutely necessary.
>>
No. 938499 ID: 0fae41

Are you bringing any gold? You may come across a traveling merchant, or just need its comforting sheen to carry you through.
>>
No. 938527 ID: 151656

>>938442
>is there anything else I should get ready or bring?
You left the planning to Moriko, don't upstage her by taking over it.

>>938477
This, however, is solid advice. You don't have to get taller to gain bulk.
>>
No. 938532 ID: 977456

>>938527
Very much agreed, although a book to go through with Alkaline would be a "raising Alkaline" issue rather than a "Bear Ravaging" issue, so shouldn't be stepping on her toes.

>a pool or a hole or a tunnel or a geode or an egg or a mud-pit or a coffin or something
These are all sort-of passive, nothing that Cries Out to the world "A Warrior here rises!" or similar. Something... a representation? A statue! A Gplem!! A stone replica of your fallen denizen rises from the earth to do battle, then crumbles to reveal the true denizen beneath. Like a matryoshka doll, you could go further and revive all your denizens at once, just pop the top half off of a larger revived denizen and reveal a smaller one underneath, and just have them jump out so you can assemble the next larger and- I may have gone too far...
>>
No. 938544 ID: 2eba1a

>>938447
>>938442
I like this spear idea, spend some time making some basic short spears. As light and sturdy as you can get, and make sure to barb the heads.
We can set them in the ground in front of the bear when it inevitably charges us, so it can impale itself on them. It can probably do a lot of damage to itself that way. It probably wont be enough to stop it, but it should slow it down.
>>
No. 938545 ID: b1b4f3

How about instead of a coffin shape, just make it a box? Or encase it in the wall so it just looks like a door from the outside?
>>
No. 938573 ID: 2eba1a

>>938532
>>938441
>Well, pools are excellent liminal zones. Some kind of garden might be a more soothing place to recuperate but they still need a place to emerge from. You know a pool or a hole or a tunnel or a geode or an egg or a mud-pit or a coffin or something.

How about a throne maybe? If it werent for some unfortunate implications, maybe a stone alter with some furnishings would do.
In the coffin line, a Sleeping Beauty style enclosed bed, or maybe a canopy bed with heavy curtains or blinds or doors. Give that 'Waking up" feel. If we had more mushrooms we could even fairy circle it up.
If Deem had shown any propensity for plants, I'd say making a big tree or plant that they could emerge from the hollow of would be cool.
>>
No. 938577 ID: 151656

>>938544
You're thinking of boar hunting, that's how you hunt boars. Not so useful against bears, let alone an intelligent, demonic bear that can actually assess the situation rationally rather than charging in blindly.

>>938573
I'm sold on the enclosed beds. Also, it can double as sleeping quarters when you're not expecting anyone to die. Unless there is some technical reason why it shouldn't?
>>
No. 939187 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156320340145.png - (150.68KB , 800x600 , setting_out.png )
939187

>Make sure that your basic tools and supplies includes a few needles and some extra spools of threads.
>Be sure to bring whatever tools or supplies you'd need to field-dress the meat, extract and preserve magical giblets, that sort of thing.
Already packed!

>You left the planning to Moriko, don't upstage her by taking over it.
So I should overlook potentially missing something important out of a misplaced fear of giving offence?

>Bring a big rock in case you need to crush something and don't want to get it on Moriko's hammer.
Rocks are heavy.

>Are you bringing any gold? You may come across a travelling merchant, or just need its comforting sheen to carry you through.
It'll do much more good comforting my Heart.

>If you have any long-ish spears they could be handy for bracing against a charge in case the bear gets desperate enough.
>Though I imagine they'd have to be pretty darn sturdy to not snap on its mass.
I've made up an extra spear for one of my golems to help fend the devil bear off. It was an enormous creature though, I wouldn't want to put too much stock in them.

>Okay how about when you bulk up, you use a shorter form again? You might not need as much clay, even. Heck since we're going into combat you should optimise your new form for it.
Then I wouldn't be as strong. When I'm using my Gigant Mode a larger, heavier golem body will require more mana. I was wondering if I should have put more of an emphasis on efficiency when designing my new base form.
>>
No. 939188 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156320347624.png - (20.25KB , 800x500 , yes_deem_stopped_anyone_eating_the_tasty_poison.png )
939188

>Before you leave, make sure that Doyle's been properly filled to slow brew something useful besides imp coffee throughout the day.
Doyle was making imp repellent overnight and I need him to make up some poison for the imp bits we're leaving scattered around the place to hopefully soften up some of the larger monsters.

We leave behind half of the repellent and spread the rest around my dungeon's entrance, the main paths leading to it and in some likely nesting spots as we go. We don't make great time. Alkaline did end up trying to eat an entire imp over night so she's a bit sluggish today. And Moriko took my joke seriously and has insisted on intermittently navigating while blindfolded.

I take some pains to point out the sorts of dark and hidden places imps congregate to Moriko and Alkaline whenever I'm able to spot them. We find a tiny amount of gold in the little nooks and crannies we're investigating. Alkaline and her slimes are quite useful for squirming in there. I point out a few edible or otherwise useful plants that we stumble on as well.

>Will Alkaline be budding new slimes on the road? Something to keep them tucked and safe while they... 'grow', maybe?
They usually cling to their parent slime quite well when small. Alkaline buds again as we take a break for lunch. It's much less stressful this time. A fine looking little slime.

Once we're a little further out we start placing the poison baits. I didn't want to potentially be luring monsters closer to the dungeon. It's a fairly quiet day. The occasional patrols by my denizens since setting up here seem to have pacified the area a little. We're attacked by a giant frog in the late afternoon. It's easily dispatched. I'm not sure why these angry amphibians are so common. Perhaps there's a spawning ground somewhere on the mountain.
>>
No. 939189 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156320366953.png - (97.99KB , 800x600 , camping_out.png )
939189

When we set up for the night, I empty Doyle of poison by feeding the last of it to Alkaline. It's weak and she should be able to accumulate it in her toxic shroud.

Between the four of us we manage to cook some frog meat over the fire to go with some foraged greens and the packed rations.

It's not very good.

>Hmm, any ideas for something to bring to keep the group entertained while camping? Some books or a deck of cards? What about something to train Alkaline's abilities with?
I had planned to simply tell stories or perhaps have Alkaline try to mimic me should that curse vex me again. It's flaring up less frequently, perhaps I'm encysting it.
It turned out Merud had snuck in something for entertainment oo. While there's still light, Moriko haltingly reads to Alkaline and myself. There's a story about seven young goats and a wolf that tries to sneak into their home to eat them. I like the mother goat.

I keep watch while the others sleep. I set Doyle to boil - a few potions will come in handy - and think about some other things.

>>Resurrection Matrix variants
>A stone replica of your fallen denizen rises from the earth to do battle, then crumbles to reveal the true denizen beneath.
>How about a throne maybe? If it weren't for some unfortunate implications, maybe a stone altar with some furnishings would do.
>In the coffin line, a Sleeping Beauty style enclosed bed, or maybe a canopy bed with heavy curtains or blinds or doors.
>If Deem had shown any propensity for plants, I'd say making a big tree or plant that they could emerge from the hollow of would be cool.
I could do any of those, yes. It'll be interesting to see what idea my denizens might have come up with when I get back.

>In terms of strategies for fighting the bear, would it be viable to wound it and wait for it to bleed out?
Probably not. It was quite territorial so it's not likely to retreat. And it's mid autumn so it'll be hard to get through its thick fat to cause a serious bleeding would.

I do need to give a little consideration on how best to hunt the beast. We don't have much in the way of tracking, but if we can keep an eye out for signs of the devil bear marking its territory, we could hopefully provoke it. The other option is placing out a number of carcasses as bait and trying to lie in wait for it.
>>
No. 939190 ID: 3d1dd5

I decided to use the questdis to get some ideas for what potions Deem might brew up while out in the wilderness rather than devote an update to it:
>>/questdis/129982
>>
No. 939200 ID: b1b4f3

>>939187
>wouldn't be as strong
Your limbs have to be long to be strong? I meant a short but stocky form. Bulky limbs, wide torso, etc.

>bear
I wouldn't wander into its territory. It's snuck up on you before. Bait and wait.
>>
No. 939219 ID: 977456

>Loincloth golem staring longingly at axe, spear golem staring longingly at Moriko's hindquarters.
Did you have to bring the pervert homunculi? Why do you even have pervert homunculi? I thought they were based upon yourself!
>>
No. 939233 ID: 0fae41

Take the time to prepare some traps around an area, then bait it with corpses. If you have to retreat, the traps will slow it down.
Does a devilbear have any weaknesses or resistance to certain elements, magical or mundane? It sounds like piercing attacks will work best against his fatty hide.
>>
No. 939310 ID: 368ebc

Moriko is most useful attacking the bear's head, while everyone else tries to limit its movement, and draw its attention when Moriko needs an opening to attack or retreat for a bit. Alkaline's eggbombs should keep it from backing up and you and your golem ought to go for it's limbs when you can.
>>
No. 939472 ID: 2eba1a

>>939189
Keep that frog skin, you can probably make a waterproof bag from it.

>>I do need to give a little consideration on how best to hunt the beast. We don't have much in the way of tracking, but if we can keep an eye out for signs of the devil bear marking its territory, we could hopefully provoke it.
It seemed very aggressive last time we encountered it, and even regular bears tend to be fairly territorial. Luring it into attacking you at a place of your preference would probably be much more effective then trying to track it or drive it towards something. If the was a a good mud pit, we could try to bog it down so you can get some good hits in. It can probably swim, but heavy stuff like the bears would probably have a hard time not sinking into the mud with every step. Deem is good at digging holes, maybe she can make some pit traps and mud pits?
Other then that, if its fats as big of a penetration problem as you think, maybe beating it up will be more effective then piercing or cutting it initially. If you could hit it with some big rocks or a log trap, that might work. Dont suppose you're any good with a sling Deem? could work when you go Gigante.
>>
No. 939508 ID: 10c408

I think the most important thing is to confirm that we're actually in or close to the devil bear's territory before we start putting down more poisoned bait. How far away is it to where the devil bear batted you after you covered for Merud?
>>
No. 939510 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156346010729.png - (33.26KB , 650x750 , talking_about_stuff.png )
939510

>>Loincloth golem staring longingly at axe, spear golem staring longingly at Moriko's hindquarters.
>Did you have to bring the pervert homunculi? Why do you even have pervert homunculi? I thought they were based upon yourself!
Excuse me?

>I wouldn't wander into the devil bear's territory. It's snuck up on you before. Bait and wait.
Right, one mauling was enough.

>I think the most important thing is to confirm that we're actually in or close to the devil bear's territory before we start putting down more poisoned bait. How far away is it to where the devil bear batted you after you covered for Merud?
We're several hours deeper into the forest. I've found some claw marks on trees but they didn't seem too recent.

>Does a devilbear have any weaknesses or resistance to certain elements, magical or mundane? It sounds like piercing attacks will work best against his fatty hide.
They don't like purifying magic but that's not really an option. The spears will probably be the most effective weapons for wounding the beast but I wanted to have the option to knock it around and keep it off balance so I've brought a homunculus with a heavy weapon to help Moriko with that.

>Keep that frog skin, you can probably make a waterproof bag from it.
It'll be useful for a little while but it'll get brittle once the skin dries fully.

>Alkaline's curse resistance is luck-based. It'll help plenty, but relying upon it could go poorly. How much can her surface be rendered cut-proof?
Overnight I brewed up a small batch of lotions focused on making skin harder to cut with Doyle. Mainly out of frog skin and dandelion latex. It won't prevent injuries but the bear can't curse a wound if it doesn't break the skin.
>>
No. 939511 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156346028615.png - (29.92KB , 800x600 , well_watered_alkaline.png )
939511

>Can Alkaline use the Fixity Bangle? If we enlarge her again she can grapple the devil bear and poison it at the same time.
Not a bad plan. If she's enlarged and toughened up she should make a very effective distraction and hopefully soften the bear up.

I get the authorising token off Moriko so I can use magic and I give Alkaline one of the new lotions, which she drinks. She wasn't supposed to do that but it seems to have worked.

I still have concerns about the stability of my magic when relying just on my Heart fragment so I'm quite conservative, focusing on toughness and making Alkaline about my size. She goes on to suck up an alarming amount of water, leaving her the approximate size of the bear. Oh Alkaline, must you always rush straight at your limits? I think the potion's effect on her membrane has upped her tolerance.

"You alright there, Alkaline?" I say.

"Gluh, glubber!"

I have my sword-armed golem give her a few test hits and the effects seem satisfactory. Alkaline's slow and clumsy but she has plenty of reach and attacks bounce off her. I'll have to make sure to feed her extra to compensate for the Bangle's drain. I just hope she hasn't diluted herself too much.

I leave the golem with her in case of more frogs or other monsters attacking.
>>
No. 939512 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156346038012.png - (40.35KB , 800x600 , going_on_a_bear_hunt.png )
939512

>Moriko is most useful attacking the bear's head, while everyone else tries to limit its movement, and draw its attention when Moriko needs an opening to attack or retreat for a bit.
That seems like an effective strategy, Moriko's going to be the primary damage dealer while everyone else focuses on keeping it penned in.

I've placed most of the spare carcasses in a clearing since I do not want to be fighting that creature in close confines. The plan's fairly simple - we'll hide on the outskirts and once the bear's busy stuffing itself we'll come out and kill it.

>If the was a a good mud pit, we could try to bog it down so you can get some good hits in. It can probably swim, but heavy stuff like the bears would probably have a hard time not sinking into the mud with every step. Deem is good at digging holes, maybe she can make some pit traps and mud pits?
>If you could hit it with some big rocks or a log trap, that might work. Don't suppose you're any good with a sling Deem? Could work when you go Gigante.
I should be adequate with a sling. I'm good with rocks. Should I consider placing traps? I'd originally intended to simply let the bear distract itself with the bait and then have everyone close in.

We'll be sticking to this area for the next few days, are there any improvements I should make to the site or anything else I should get done?
>>
No. 939514 ID: 3d1dd5

Another little chance for some input on what monsters might be in the area:
>>/questdis/130103
>>
No. 939515 ID: 10c408

Distance is a little vague, but I think you guys are WAY too close to the bait. Keep in mind that you want to be downwind and off to the side of the bait so that the bear won't smell any of the others.

As for other stuff to try... Could have the camp even further away, then have Deem/a golem keep watching over the bait and if the bear/something else shows up a simple and quiet signal could be raised by the scout to tip off the hunters to quietly approach. (A rock thrown from the scout's position to the camp is what I'm thinking off)

We could also put up some small scale traps to deter predators that are smaller than the bear from having an easy meal.
>>
No. 939516 ID: 9caba2

>>939512
Let's hope the bear goes for carrion.
From what I've heard bears are pretty opportunistic, so it should.

Would you be able to somewhat cover Moriko's scent with a layer of clay?
>>
No. 939520 ID: b1b4f3

>>939512
Traps can become a liability during a heated battle if the bear doesn't trigger them all. I think we're set.
>>
No. 939525 ID: 0fae41

As a fallback position, tie some young saplings back with rope that can be cut to send the tree snapping back into position. There aren't many traps that could affect the bear, but if you had to run this might at least stun it for the few seconds you need to get away.
A shallow pit lined with spikes somewhere within the clearing could provide a space to drive the bear into. In fact, forget the pit, you could just scatter caltrops in the arena when you spring the ambush.
Other than traps, you could build a duck blind for yourself and Moriko. Gives you someplace to sit protected from rain and annoying little gnats.
>>
No. 939529 ID: 977456

You should use you golems to do anything around the bait, to avoid spreading smells. Unless... your golem has probably absorbed the scents of your denizens... and Devilbear might sense your mana?
>>
No. 939653 ID: 2eba1a

>>939512
>>939520
The traps should be a fallback, in case we need a line to retreat to, so they wont be in the direct area of combat. And non-lethal ones, like the mudpits, wont be as effective on any of the minions as they would be on the bear, and probably not at all on Deem. One or two probably wouldnt hurt as a temp roadblock ,enough to get a hit or two in.

More importantly, what kind of poison are we working with here? Paralytic? Numbing? Anti-coagulant? Necrotic? Corrosive? Confusing? Mana-disruptive?
>>
No. 939686 ID: 10c408

>>939520
Only if we're being stupid about it. Aside from Moriko, the entire party is comprised of golems, slimes and one monster cauldron. Pit traps with spikes and makeshift wooden caltrops wouldn't drastically affect our fighting force and even then it'd be easy to establish and enforce a "do not enter" zone around the actual bait where all the traps are.

Only slight downside is if we catch something that opts to run away from the party after getting to the center somehow and we'd have to go around our traps but then they'd be go through the traps twice instead of once.
>>
No. 939729 ID: 2eba1a

>>939686
Additionally, traps are important to maintain the maximum amount of control over this battle while exposing the Minions to the minimum risk or harm. The Devil bear, while intelligent somewhat, is still also a wild animal, and dividing its attention more can only help.
>>
No. 939740 ID: b5bc34

Traps can be hard to rely on. I'd settle for something quick and easy that triggers when the bear gets to the bait for a free hit but after that I wouldn't bother. If you feel like expending the time and effort, sure, place back-up traps, but for the plan to work you can't really allow for the bear to leave the ambush zone anyway.
>>
No. 939808 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156369606758.png - (28.04KB , 800x550 , the_tadpole_was_a_trap.png )
939808

>Other than traps, you could build a duck blind for yourself and Moriko. Gives you someplace to sit protected from rain and annoying little gnats.
Very sensible, I'll have my golems start on it right away.

>The traps should be a fallback, in case we need a line to retreat to, so they wont be in the direct area of combat. And non-lethal ones, like the mudpits, wont be as effective on any of the minions as they would be on the bear, and probably not at all on Deem. One or two probably wouldn't hurt as a temp roadblock ,enough to get a hit or two in.
>We could also put up some small scale traps to deter predators that are smaller than the bear from having an easy meal.
I'll dig a few shallow pits and cover them as places to drive the bear into if necessary. To reduce risk of them backfiring, I'll just give them a muddy bottom and mix some of Alkaline's sticky slime in too.

Aside from that I'll just scatter around some little traps to discourage any smaller creatures poaching the lure.

>More importantly, what kind of poison are we working with here?
It's derived off the imp poison so a weak paralytic.

>You should use you golems to do anything around the bait, to avoid spreading smells. Unless... your golem has probably absorbed the scents of your denizens... and Devilbear might sense your mana?
It's a devil bear not a wizard bear.

However yes I should take some steps to deal with scents. My homunculi don't have much of a scent to them and slimes are reasonably common but the scents of a human and wood smoke could use some masking. Time for a bath!

Finding a larger still body of water has revealed something else about the area. There's giant tadpoles and they explode if provoked so now I need a bath as well. It does go some way to explaining why these frogs are so prolific.
>>
No. 939809 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156369619023.png - (21.68KB , 600x750 , woo_take_it_off.png )
939809

I expediently fill a convenient hollow with water and have Doyle hit boiling point and then paddle around in it along with tossing in some hot rocks to warm it.

>Could have the camp even further away, then have Deem/a golem keep watching over the bait and if the bear/something else shows up a simple and quiet signal could be raised by the scout to tip off the hunters to quietly approach.
Yes that'll avoid having to be too careful about leaving traces as well. I think I would prefer to keep Moriko nearby though as she represents the bulk of our fighting strength. Doyle's odd chemical smell is another issue I'll resolve by having him stay near the camp instead.

Anyway time for a wash. I explained the importance of masking our scent to Moriko and here we are. I've shed my clothes and, since I could feel prickling thoughts about some new exotic shape from my curse like an oncoming headache, my extra clay as well.
>>
No. 939810 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156369627382.png - (24.69KB , 800x600 , lets_talk_about_our_feelings.png )
939810

"Have you been enjoying our little wilderness adventure so far?" I ask Moriko. My conversations with my hammerai have been fraught with peril of late but this should be safe.

She sighs. "How do you do it Deem? Knowing all these plants, all these monsters, all these little habits and tricks. Making camp, making golems, making potions, making traps and baits... I feel as if I'm not contributing anything, all I can do is fight..."

Oh no. I try to be a little flippant. "Well you have to remember Moriko that I'm about a thousand times your age. Anyone who watches and listens long enough is bound to learn a few things."

She frowns slightly, as if she's trying to determine whether this is a joke. "Are you serious?"

I shrug, a little swish of water. "I might be, I haven't kept that close a track. In any case, your contribution is going to be the most important part! We need someone who can actually kill that wretched bear!"

She looks happier but maybe I should try to drive this point in, or talk about what else she can do or maybe change the topic to something lighter instead?
>>
No. 939812 ID: 1774cd

>>939810
Grope her boobs and remark on their size. It's traditional in eastern culture when two women bath together.
>>
No. 939816 ID: b1b4f3

>>939810
Also she helped pack supplies.
Tell her if she wants she can pick up a side skill. You might be able to teach her the basics on something and then she'll learn more on her own via practice and experimentation, things you aren't as suited to.
Or is there something else she already knows the basics on? Something she once picked up as a hobby?
>>
No. 939817 ID: 094652

>>939812
Deem's not going to fall for that even with curses equipped.

Discuss abilities and how to hone them into advanced techniques. See if there's something you missed.
>>
No. 939818 ID: 977456

That giant eyeball behind the rock is Belph, yes? Just checking...

Fighting is, in some ways, the most important role in a dungeon. For that sophistication and subtlety make you superior to such things, there are simple brute dungeons that get by just fine with nothing but various bears and giants. It is far less viable to rely purely upon traps or puzzles or long mazes and inclement weather or the like. A masterful combatant like her is invaluable, even if that were all that she was.
That said, If she seeks such then you could seek research and training for her to expand her skills. In time you will be an expansive domain, with many denizens, a skilled and trusted Modern Major General to keep them in-line might be needed. If she were to apply herself to such ends...
Or she might have a hobby? An amateur cobbler or tailor can be kin to miracle-workers if one is away from the cities...
As your first, and foreseeably finest soldier, she will never be unworthy of you, but if she seeks to broaden her skills, you would do well to support her.

Or change of topic! How is that Demonic heritage working out for her? It was obviously something much better than an imp!

Or distract her some other way... You are all wet(from the water). It is making you lose control of your body(because mud golems don't work). You need her to press herself against you(to evenly support your weight while lifting you out to dry, you wouldn't want anything falling off!).

Are there younger giant tadpoles that are less inclined to explode? Bringing some back might let you easily recruit some frogs. They aren't glamorous, but are good at pulling invaders out of formation and have some interesting alchemical properties...
Exploding tadpoles also sound like something Alkaline could learn something from. See if she can swallow one before it explodes!
>>
No. 939819 ID: 9caba2

>>939810
While I don't recommend groping her chest outright, you could ask if she's been eating properly, both under your employ and prior, as she seems to lack notable musculature.

Or maybe she's just training to the point of it being detrimental to her.

Also meat's gonna be a part of the menu for a while, what does she think about that?
>>
No. 939844 ID: 1ed92d

>>939810
You could take off your external rock plating. Maybe she's feeling embarrassed as she feels overdressed?
>>
No. 939854 ID: 1774cd

>>939818
Yeaaaaa giant eyeball concerning now that you mention it.
>>
No. 939868 ID: d120e3

>>939810
tell her she shouldn't worry about her contribution. if anything, you're worried you're not paying her back enough. that you haven't been keeping your promise.

try to find out what she wants. this is important, we've been out of touch with her for a while now.
>>
No. 939870 ID: 91ee5f

>>939810
Apparently Doyle is a huge pervert and enjoys looking at naked ladies taking a bath.
>>
No. 939875 ID: 0fae41

Lighter topics don't really include dwelling on her history with demons.
You should sell her on that point some more. She's already bested her fellow adventurers, and is the scourge of frogs everywhere!
Hold onto her so you don't slip all the way underwater and switch focus to your homunculus proxy. How are things going at home?
>>
No. 939907 ID: b5fb67

>>939812
>>939844
>>939870

IT'S JUST LIKE MY JAPANESE ANIMES

Ask Moriko what her hobbies are. Let's see if we can connect.
>>
No. 939955 ID: 8d23f0

>>939810
sit back and complain about all the things you can't do that annoy you
>>
No. 940121 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156389203880.png - (29.98KB , 800x600 , very_deembarassing.png )
940121

>You could take off your external rock plating. Maybe she's feeling embarrassed as she feels overdressed?
Moriko is wearing less than me.

>You are all wet (from the water). It is making you lose control of your body(because mud golems don't work). You need her to press herself against you(to evenly support your weight while lifting you out to dry!).
I'm a terrible liar. And you know that I'm cursed, you shouldn't be putting these ideas in my head.

>Grope her boobs and remark on their size. It's traditional in eastern culture when two women bath together.
You're a terrible liar.

>Apparently Doyle is a huge pervert and enjoys looking at naked ladies taking a bath.
Doyle is a pot with ideas above his station.

>Sit back and complain about all the things you can't do that annoy you
Yes, there's so much! I have a measure of freedom, I'm not lying still beneath the earth. But all these things I haven't done, can't do... I feel the fire rising within me. I glance at Moriko, pale and beautiful and uncertain. Wasn't this supposed to be about her? I duck under the water. I need to cool down.

>Or change of topic! How is that Demonic heritage working out for her? It was obviously something much better than an imp!
Well she obviously n-ghrk, NO!

I should know better than to blurt out such things. I choke back all these foolish words and smother them down in my chest.

>Are there younger giant tadpoles that are less inclined to explode? Bringing some back might let you easily recruit some frogs. They aren't glamorous, but are good at pulling invaders out of formation and have some interesting alchemical properties...
>Exploding tadpoles also sound like something Alkaline could learn something from. See if she can swallow one before it explodes!
Yes! Sure! Maybe!
>>
No. 940122 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156389212280.png - (20.36KB , 600x750 , new_enemy_unlocked_deems_head.png )
940122

>As your first, and foreseeably finest soldier, she will never be unworthy of you, but if she seeks to broaden her skills, you would do well to support her.
"Your skills have been indispensable thus far." I tell Moriko. "We wouldn't have come so far without you. But if you want to broaden your skills, all you need is time and practice. I'm more than happy to support you."

>While I don't recommend groping her chest outright, you could ask if she's been eating properly, both under your employ and prior, as she seems to lack notable musculature.
>Or maybe she's just training to the point of it being detrimental to her.
I know she was very seasick for most of her voyage, to the point that she'd needed to stay at the inn I met her for several days just to recuperate. She'd have lot a lot of weight then but she's still so thin.

"Have you been eating alright?" I ask Moriko. "I know our travelling provisions are somewhat basic. I'm not an expert cook. It's hardly glamorous, but it's a useful skill to have. Is that something you might want to try your hand at?"

Moriko shakes her head. "No, I know my limits." Not too surprising, her attempts were worse...

>Or is there something else she already knows the basics on? Something she once picked up as a hobby?
"Maybe there's a hobby you have you might like to develop further?"

"I don't have any hobbies." she says.

"None?" I say. "Come on Moriko. Merud like his books, Reisarf swims and looks at the stars, Hin sings when no-one's looking and even Doyle apparently has a hobby!"

The nearby bushes rustle nervously as Doyle retreats.

Moriko stands up. "What are your hobbies?"

"Well..." I begin and immediately run out of sentence. "I don't usually have hands." I finish lamely.

"You could have watched birds." Moriko suggests innocently.

"I don't particularly birds." I grumble. "Well that's it then! We both need a new hobby. We should start one together."

I need ideas! It should preferably be something of practical benefit to my dungeon.
>>
No. 940126 ID: 8d23f0

>>940122
Deem you have a hobby, you spend almost every moment not working taking care of your minions, teasing them for their silly antics, making sure they feel good, getting them food that they like, building up their potential, making them stronger, and making promises to get them neat "toys" EX: the meditation room. Your hobby is being a good mom.
though if you need a hobby to do with moriko... clothes making/modeling? its something the dungeon will probably need and could be fun to have everyone show off what she makes for them.
>>
No. 940135 ID: 10c408

>>940126
doubling down on dungeon management and staff manager/therapist/life coach isn't a hobby, no matter how practical and efficient it is.

We need something that isn't, on the surface anyway, practical or sufficient. So, Deem. How do you feel about non-magic enabled pottery?
>>
No. 940142 ID: 8d4593

Yall could take up wrestling!
It's fun, train's a new combat skill neither of you have...
And you both could get oh so close...
>>
No. 940147 ID: 12b116

How about gem collecting
>>
No. 940148 ID: d120e3

>>940122
what are you saying? you have plenty of hobbies.
Interior design
Alchemy
Jewelry-making
Animal and monster husbandry
Golemetry, though i'm not sure that counts as a hobby.


As for Moriko.. Let's see, what are the standard trope hobbies for wandering ronin..
A musical instrument is a classic, but would be annoying in a closed space for the first year or so.
poetry? Poet warriors are definitely classic. It might help her with processing her own issues as well.
I don't know, embroidery?

Maybe something you can teach her. I'm sure there's plenty of things you have experience with that she can derive enjoyment from. Knowing her she'd probably want it to be practical so she can give herself excuses for why it's ok she's doing it. Perhaps a craft of some sort? Something she can make with her own hands?
>>
No. 940149 ID: 0fae41

You could team up to teach Chak new tricks.
Or you could take up clay modelling with Deem and Merud. Sculpting new homunculus bodies, molding new clay to patch them up when they are broken... Patching up Deem after fights...
>>
No. 940150 ID: bddb0f

The both of you should learn an instrument and learn how to play together. The only question is what instruments would work well together that the both of you might be disposed towards learning.

As far as a practical effect goes, setting the scene is really important for the Earth Pulse, yes? Then, playing a song as or before the final encounter begins should heap on some drama. Whether it be the crescending beat of a drum or the solemn whistle of a flute or the sad plucking of strings, it all should add up.

Also, team morale could go up from having a bit of evening entertainment.

Boss/band name suggestion: The Deemori Duo.
>>
No. 940158 ID: 9caba2

>>940122
Well, we need to take into consideration what's available, and most sorts of crafting will be right out as you probably have a few years of experience with it.

How about some casual fishing with bait or tackles?
It'll be less about actual fishing, and more just passing time while relaxing.

There's brewing alcohol, lots of downtime between having to do stuff, and lots of mistakes to learn from. And it'd also give you something to taste, albeit most of it would be rather nasty unless you get someone with a bit of know-how.
>>
No. 940160 ID: b5fb67

>>940122

DEEM! MOOVE YER HEED!

Seriously, Moriko has no hobbies? What does she do for fun? How does she relax? How does she not go stark raving insane from duty?

Here are some suggestions:
-Flower arranging
-Calligraphy
-Taiko drums
-The board game 'Go'
-Archery
-Poetry
-Karaoke
-Tea Ceremonies
-Bonsai
-Learning a new language
>>
No. 940169 ID: 977456

Flower arrangement could be good. It gets you time on the garden growing more directly useful herbs and vegetables while giving you an outlet to take out your frustration on the artist. Just think of all the petals!
>>940148
Ooooh, warrior poet IS a classic. And really might help with working through problems, both mental and material. You could mix it up with a touch of debating to aid critical thinking! And then I go one step further and it is rap battles and everything is terrible. Haiku Wars? Limerick Duels?
>>
No. 940185 ID: 4cf79d

You sew, you cut hair and you model statues (golens). Doesn't those activities count as hobbies?

If you want something useful knitting and weaving are ideal. Spend some time in a repetitive task while accumulating useful resources for latter.

If you want something more fun play some games. You and Moriko can improve your abilities to command battles by playing strategy games like chess or xiangqi.
>>
No. 940188 ID: bddb0f

Instrument-wise, drums can be made from stretching leather over frames, flutes can be made from carving bone or wood, or forging metals if you'd care to have our smith try for it. Stringed instruments would probably require some finessing, but shouldn't be beyond your eclectic group's means.

Or you can go to town and shop for something.

>>940169
Verse wars. Rhyme rumbles.
>>
No. 940191 ID: 8d4593

Moriko and Deem could start a Rock band.
>>
No. 940193 ID: 531f99

>>940150
Very good idea. Definitely do this! Drums and flutes are easy enough to make, though maybe you should choose something to improve an attribute. Like, harpsichord or another stringed instrument for dexterity, though you'd have to purchase those.
>>
No. 940196 ID: 8eaf98

>>940191
oh god it hurts but it's perfect I second this
>>
No. 940218 ID: ad51b8

>I need ideas! It should preferably be something of practical benefit to my dungeon.
Carving? I mean it might be a bit redundant since you can shape your dungeon any which way you want but maybe if you could learn how to carve stone you could crave some things into your dungeon's walls to give it a bit more flare or just to make it seem more homely to your minions. Or other art related projects. Might help improve you dexterity a little since while you do seem pretty apt at using your body you still only just got the thing... and maybe it might help you get use to also puppeting that avatar golem you made for when your main avatar is busy.

Guess you could also try your hand at music. Having music could help set a mood or theme for your dungeon or even just use it to try and lure adventurers into traps. I mean if you had one of your golems playing something off the beaten path that would probably be enough to lure some adventures down the side path to see what it is. Might be able to enhance the music as well to either give your allies buffs or debuff your opponents.

Now that I think about it that could make for an interesting dungeon run. Especially since your dungeon is still on the small side. Have the adventures hear music as soon as they enter the dungeon that slowly saps their strength the longer the tune plays so they have to rush through the dungeon to get to the boss before the song drains them completely.
>>
No. 940220 ID: b1b4f3

Wood carving?
>>
No. 940221 ID: 2eba1a

>>940122
>>940150
Music seems like a good place to start! Instruments are good, but you know whats would also work? DANCING!
It can improve your rhythm and you two can do it together! And it doesnt require instruments.

Fishing is also something I can see Moriko getting into. It has a certain meditative quality, And it could get us some more food sources if she gets real good at it. Maybe something for after we fix the bear problem.

Archery would also be cool. I think in the eastern regions theres some sort of tradition of meditative archery, and really, having someone on the team who could use a projectile weapon that doesnt require magic might be useful. You could make bowstrings ut of tendons from those frog legs!
>>
No. 940237 ID: 842ac4

I like the idea of instruments. You could make amazing stone instruments thanks to your ability to shape stone, even more intricate things you could mimic finer function of things that would normally require brass or other metals to make, like horns or complex wind instruments.

It's good for morale, but further you could probably wrangle some wonder and maybe power out of building a system of natural "instruments" built into the tunnels of your dungeon, which would make music play every time the wind is blowing (you'd need a spot for the wind to feed into though).

You do have lots of hobbies, alchemy, magic, engineering, but maybe you could also add mechanics to that. Again, parts that would be a chore for humanoid hands to build could easily shaped and encased in ways that normal craftsmen couldn't, letting you make better and more effective mechanism for any number of things. You could have a section of traps, or go big and make a section of labyrinth where entire sections of the dungeon turn.

But honestly, you messed up, because you let us know you think Moriko is beautiful. We know you have a crush on her, and now you wanna go on some journey of self discovery and learn the things you enjoy doing together?

Just get over the "great and terrible earth mother" schtick and kiss the woman.
>>
No. 940256 ID: d6afc2

>>940122
How about masonry? Or pottery? Or Drawing? Actually, could you combine all three? Form stone like clay, then color the surface by manipulating the traces of metal in the material?
>>
No. 940257 ID: 1ed92d

>>940122
Scrimshaw or wittling. Involves learning to carve and engrave, both of which could be useful to your dungeon and in ritual magic.
>>
No. 940376 ID: 977456

Or fireworks. Potential side-trade in explosives and rocketry for traps. More importantly, it lets you shoot bombs at The Sky and gain adulation for doing so!
>>
No. 940408 ID: 151656

>>940150
>>940188
>>940193
>>940218
>>940237
I take it none of you have lived next to someone learning an instrument? Let me just say this: morale will go down fast.

>>940376
>shoot bombs at The Sky and gain adulation for doing so!
Oh, she'll love that.
>>
No. 940481 ID: a6e7d9

>>940122
Music is a bad idea for a variety of reasons, and making stuff (pottery or whatever) is sure to lead to frustration as Moriko compares her efforts to Deem's and Merud's golemetry horseshit.

Fishing does seem like a good fit for Moriko, though. It's a quiet and meditative kinda low-intensity thing, but it's more traditionally productive than flower arranging or poetry ('cause you generally can't eat flower arrangements or poems), and Moriko seems like the practical type.

Poetry could be good for Deem, though. 'd help her with reading and writing, and would maybe even help her convey her feelings to her fellow deemgeoneers.
>>
No. 940485 ID: 10c408

>>940481
Which is why I suggested no magic when doing pottery.
>>
No. 940532 ID: 2eba1a

>>940481
>>940408
Yes, which is why Dancing still works! Dance to the Earth Pulse!
>>
No. 940543 ID: bddb0f

>>940408
You raise a point, but privacy to train can probably be found. Particularly the small valley is secluded and far enough away from the main areas to be a nice place to hang out practicing for when the weather is nice. For when it isn't... well, Deem will have to put in doors in the dungeon eventually.
>>
No. 940696 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156429950892.png - (37.43KB , 750x750 , trialing_wet_effect.png )
940696

>You do have lots of hobbies, alchemy, magic, engineering, but maybe you could also add mechanics to that.
>You sew, you cut hair and you model statues (golems). Doesn't those activities count as hobbies?
Of course they're not hobbies, they're all vital to running a dungeon.

>Deem you have a hobby, you spend almost every moment not working taking care of your minions, teasing them for their silly antics, making sure they feel good, getting them food that they like, building up their potential, making them stronger, and making promises to get them neat "toys" EX: the meditation room. Your hobby is being a good mum.
I told you not to say that. And I would be very concerned by someone who did call that a hobby!

>Y'all could take up wrestling! It's fun, trains a new combat skill neither of you have... And you both could get oh so close...
>I think in the eastern regions there's some sort of tradition of meditative archery, and really, having someone on the team who could use a projectile weapon that doesn't require magic might be useful. You could make bowstrings out of tendons from those frog legs!
I need something not related to fighting.

>Knowing her she'd probably want it to be practical so she can give herself excuses for why it's OK she's doing it. Perhaps a craft of some sort? Something she can make with her own hands?
Yes, something she can take enjoyment in that will still let her be productive.

>How about masonry? Or pottery? Or Drawing?
>Or you could take up clay modelling with Deem and Merud. Sculpting new homunculus bodies, moulding new clay to patch them up when they are broken... Patching up Deem after fights...
>Carving? I mean it might be a bit redundant since you can shape your dungeon any which way you want but maybe if you could learn how to carve stone you could crave some things into your dungeon's walls to give it a bit more flare or just to make it seem more homely to your minions.
Considering that she has felt some insecurity about her place here, I don't think trying something I'm already skilled at is a good idea.

>But honestly, you messed up, because you let us know you think Moriko is beautiful. We know you have a crush on her, and now you wanna go on some journey of self discovery and learn the things you enjoy doing together?
>Just get over the "great and terrible earth mother" schtick and kiss the woman.
So is a sword. So is a thunderstorm. I would not try to kiss any of those. It would hardly be an equal partnership anyway.

>Fishing does seem like a good fit for Moriko, though. It's a quiet and meditative kinda low-intensity thing, but it's more traditionally productive than flower arranging or poetry
The water sloshes as I burst to my feet and drop a fist into my cupped hand. "Fishing! Let's try fishing!"

"Fishing?" Moriko says.

"Yes, fishing. It's something we can do today, it's a nice low intensity activity I am told and a little more variety in everyone's diets can only be a good thing."

She makes a fist. "Fishing then."

We dry off and head back to the camp. Some quick improvisation gives us some simple fishing rods and we set off to find likely spot. A large stream seems like a good candidate due to its lower risk of tadpoles and we cast our lines and settle down to wait.
>>
No. 940697 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156429960691.png - (41.20KB , 750x750 , mining_for_fish.png )
940697

The stream-side is quiet and cool. The little breeze is refreshing and the stream's quiet gurgling soothing.

>How about gem collecting
"Have you ever considered gem collecting?" I ask Moriko after a while.

"What for?" she asks.

"To... have more gems?" I venture.

We lapse back into silence.

>Or fireworks. Potential side-trade in explosives and rocketry for traps. More importantly, it lets you shoot bombs at The Sky and gain adulation for doing so!
Tempting as it is, I currently have a single bomb flower. That isn't going to produce material in the quantity required.

>Flower arrangement could be good. It gets you time on the garden growing more directly useful herbs and vegetables.
A few casts later, I ask something else. "How about gardening?"

"I grew a little food to help support myself at my old home. I suppose I was adequate at it."

"We definitely do need to set up a plot here. Some plants and flowers would be nice for the dungeon too, it's so barren right now..."

"I could try my hand at it." Moriko says.

>Scrimshaw or wittling. Involves learning to carve and engrave, both of which could be useful to your dungeon and in ritual magic.
"Speaking of decorations, have you ever tried scrimshaw or engraving?"

"I don't know what I'd make."

Moriko pulls in the biggest catch yet, a fish the size of her hand.

>Though if you need a hobby to do with Moriko... clothes making/modelling? its something the dungeon will probably need and could be fun to have everyone show off what she makes for them.
"What about clothing?" I ask. "It's something I've entirely neglected so far, but it's important to get right in a dungeon."

Moriko looks uncertain. "Isn't that a little frivolous?"

"A dungeon should stir the heart. How it's guardians present themselves is a part of that. And designing something striking but sturdy is trickier than you might think. When we get back to the dungeon, why don't you try making something for me and I'll make something for you?"

"You'd wear it?"

"Of course I would."

She bites her lip. "I'll try it then."

>DANCING! It can improve your rhythm and you two can do it together! And it doesn't require instruments.
It does require music however.

>The both of you should learn an instrument and learn how to play together. The only question is what instruments would work well together that the both of you might be disposed towards learning.
>A musical instrument is a classic, but would be annoying in a closed space for the first year or so.
It's starting to turn to dusk. We should head back soon. "Not many hobbies we can make a start on out here unfortunately. Music perhaps, I could whittle something simple. But we do have our voices. While we're waiting out here, let's try a duet. Can you sing Moriko?"

"..."

This might need some effort on my part. "Do re mi fa so la ti do."
>>
No. 940698 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156429968066.png - (21.33KB , 800x500 , frogs_hate_you.png )
940698

I try a song or two and Moriko refuses to tell me whether it's good or bad. I'm not sure which would be worse. Some prodding gets her to make a few attempts on her own.

>As far as a practical effect goes, setting the scene is really important for the Earth Pulse, yes? Then, playing a song as or before the final encounter begins should heap on some drama. Whether it be the crescendoing beat of a drum or the solemn whistle of a flute or the sad plucking of strings, it all should add up.
>Now that I think about it that could make for an interesting dungeon run. Especially since your dungeon is still on the small side. Have the adventures hear music as soon as they enter the dungeon that slowly saps their strength the longer the tune plays so they have to rush through the dungeon to get to the boss before the song drains them completely.
An interesting idea, one I explain to Moriko as something that might be worth pursuing. But our attempts at song seem to have drawn the attention of something.

Oh no the frogs really didn't like that.

Perhaps it's the coming dusk and us interfering with their own frog songs. There seems to be a lot of them. No signs of the tadpoles so far at least. We should probably avoid getting bogged down and retreat.
>>
No. 940699 ID: 465a14

They're frogs, Deem. Frogs. Just go home.
>>
No. 940700 ID: 0fae41

Everyone's a critic.
You know what I see? I see more corpses for the bear bait. Let's switch to spear fishing.
>>
No. 940701 ID: 8d6e36

huh... we might need to actually have some of our future patrols around the dungeon focus on thinning monster numbers since this looks like our second infestation (first being the imps) and we still have yet to find that devil bear.

Also what kinda of enchantments do you have on yourself right now and are either of you armed? I'm not seeing weapons and I can't exactly recall what you can do outside your dungeon.
>>
No. 940702 ID: b1b4f3

>>940698
Yeah I don't think we want to fight this many frogs at once. Still gotta kill the damn bear.
>>
No. 940703 ID: 9caba2

>>940698
Oh tell the frogs to ribbit before you hop away.
>>
No. 940708 ID: 977456

Break their will to resist and press them into your service.
Deploy The Diplarmaments!
"Why do girl frogs think that boy frogs come from Mars?" "Because they are little green men!"
"What did the [insert wit] say about [winsert it]?" "There's a thicc frog rolling in!"
"Why does frog beer taste weird?" "Too much hops!"
"How heavy is a frog's mouth?" "A long ton!"
"Why do flowers make raising tadpoles expensive?" "Because of the lily pad-tolls."
If they still have the will to resist after an ongoing barrage of such then escape was probably impossible.

Did, uhh... is it just me or did some of your clay expand from water-absorption?
>>
No. 940710 ID: eb4a6c

>>940698
What if you diplomatically tried to teach them to fish to calm them down and potentially get them friendly enough to provide information on the surroundings and potential devil bear activity?

>>940708
It's either water or when she choked "back all these foolish words and smother them down in my chest." Or both.
>>
No. 940711 ID: 8d4593

Tell them you hope they all croak.
>>
No. 940730 ID: 25c953

>So is a sword. So is a thunderstorm. I would not try to kiss any of those. It would hardly be an equal partnership anyway.
you wouldn't take those on a journey and get naked with them in a bath either. it's ok though, i personally didn't get the crush impression. if anything it's the other way around. and you're completely right about it not being a relationship on equal ground.

fishing is quite meditative, it was a good choice.
>>
No. 940808 ID: f57349

Throw the least-appetizing-looking fish over the heads of the frog mob, to distract them. Then, send Moriko in to take advantage of the target-rich environment. Maybe she'll level up before the bear arrives.
>>
No. 940917 ID: 0a7f21

>>940730

It's cause they are the only two characters in this story that can feel the earth pulse. The fight between Deem and Moriko was probably a powerful experience for Moriko.

Of course, they can't exactly be partners, but there's something to be said for adrenaline pumping lust too.
>>
No. 940976 ID: 094652

Catch some frogs. They'll make good mascots for your training area.
>>
No. 941018 ID: 1ed92d

>>940698
Inform the frogs that they're rude for complaining about other species courtship songs.

Make a note to get some giant cicadas to annoy the hell out of the frogs later.
>>
No. 941159 ID: 8eaf98

Retreat, but while singing just to spite them.
>>
No. 941556 ID: b5bc34

More like frogged down.

How'd she like the fishing? She seemed content, but did she like it? Either way it's nice to see you both so relaxed.
>>
No. 941561 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156509131135.png - (32.28KB , 800x550 , lets_fight_frogs.png )
941561

>What if you diplomatically tried to teach them to fish to calm them down and potentially get them friendly enough to provide information on the surroundings and potential devil bear activity?
That's stupid.

>They're frogs, Deem. Frogs.
>You know what I see? I see more corpses for the bear bait. Let's switch to spear fishing.
Perhaps you're right. I am weak right now but perhaps this is just being paranoid.

"Let's squash some frogs!" I say to Moriko, raising my voice over the angry ribbits.

"Let's!" She grabs her hammer, eager for a fight.

The frogs are angry but cagey. They surround us, croaking furiously as more crash through the undergrowth and hop in, lured by the commotion. Between their mobility, tongues and the sticky mucus they can spit, they're making it hard to focus on an individual frog. We've only killed one, Moriko hammered it as it tried to barge into me with a hop.

>Did, uhh... is it just me or did some of your clay expand from water-absorption?
No, it doesn't do that. I turn to my hammerai during a lull. "Moriko, has my chest been getting bigger? I think it's curse related."

Moriko glances at my face with a serious expression, and then a little lower with the same expression. "Once or twice, yes."

I jab at a particularly puffed up frog. "And you didn't say anything?"

"You've been changing a lot of things lately, I assumed you wanted to look more imposing."

"Really?"

"When you first altered your golem, you made yourself a foot taller than your original body and then started wearing heels too."

I don't why those shoes seem to be such a sore point with her.
>>
No. 941562 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156509137882.png - (24.80KB , 600x750 , i_did_it_all_for_this_one_pun.png )
941562

>It's either water or when she choked "back all these foolish words and smothered them down in my chest." Or both.
Things I wanted to say that I kept hidden instead? Hmmm. "Oh ho, so they're full of secrets? Maybe I should keep them then?"

>Oh tell the frogs to ribbit before you hop away.
>Tell them you hope they all croak.
That's just making them angrier!

>The fight between Deem and Moriko was probably a powerful experience for Moriko.
She seemed disappointed the second time when I fought her without any magical assistance. Perhaps I should let her test my next guardian form.
>>
No. 941563 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156509144539.png - (28.07KB , 800x500 , frog_battle.png )
941563

>Huh... we might need to actually have some of our future patrols around the dungeon focus on thinning monster numbers since this looks like our second infestation (first being the imps) and we still have yet to find that devil bear.
Bringing the surrounding area under control is always a little touch and go at first. Clearing existing monster nests and tweaking the geomancy to encourage more useful varieties to spawn is an important part of establishing a dungeon.

>Also what kinda of enchantments do you have on yourself right now and are either of you armed? I'm not seeing weapons and I can't exactly recall what you can do outside your dungeon.
I have no enchantments except for being afflicted with a melange of curses that is unlikely to be helpful! Of course we brought weapons and I can't do anything reliably outside of my dungeon except rely on my golem body!

>Fishing is quite meditative, it was a good choice.
It started well but I'm starting to get concerned. These frogs are proving harder to kill than expected and more keep showing up! The ground's getting a liberal spray of frog mucus, making it harder to move and Moriko and I have both taken a few glancing hits. The frogs can cling to the trees surprisingly well too, giving them an extra angle of attack.

We're penned in and we either need to get them to stop harassing us and leave or we need to break out.
>>
No. 941564 ID: 9caba2

>>941563
You're letting yourself get cornered by frogs. Frogs. Just powerwalk in a straight line out of their territory.

You should keep the secrets stored in those until you're willing to share them, I bet you have some big secrets you're keeping hidden; perhaps even some you're keeping from yourself?
>>
No. 941566 ID: ad51b8

probably time to leave. I say who ever is quicker at clearing frogs pick a direction and just start taking down any frog dumb enough to stay in their path while the other one of you focuses on keeping the frogs from attacking the first person's back and overwhelming the two of you.

If you can't get out then try to find somewhere you can funnel them or at least find somewhere the two of you can put your backs too so you can't be surrounded.
>>
No. 941574 ID: 12b116

Have Moriko just go all out on whichever frog is closest while you watch her back, you might be able to kill a couple of them before they run off in the face of a trained warrior
>>
No. 941576 ID: 8d4593

Convert some of your internal stones and your stone weapon into a bunch of balanced stone Kunai. Hand half of them to Moriko and start wrecking these little assholes.
>>
No. 941578 ID: f57349

Head for higher, drier ground. See if you can duplicate the enchantment you used in the Deem Duo fight to create throwing knives from your own bones, but direct excess curses into the knives so they'll be some frog's problem instead of yours. The earth-pulse-smell of cursed wounds might help attract the devil-bear's attention.
>>
No. 941585 ID: 0fae41

Of course, Deem. You are a Keeper of Secrets after all.
You should turn the frogs mobility against them. Use the rock you're backing up against as a springboard to take a flying leap into their numbers!
If you keep them off Moriko for a bit, can she sense any larger creatures nearby? Perhaps this swarm came from one of the spawner beasts.
>>
No. 941590 ID: b1b4f3

>>941563
I think they are attacking you due to your location. Get away from the pond.
>>
No. 941608 ID: a9af05

>>941563
Leave the pond.
>>
No. 941619 ID: b5bc34

If you want(?) to fight frogs you should do it with one of your AoE specialists at a later date. You and Moriko are direct damage dealers right now, which is a bad fit for mob enemies. Time to retreat!
>>
No. 941622 ID: 977456

There isn't much the frogs can do to you that can't be fixed with some clay and tailoring. Go full "irresistible" force and march onto more open, drier ground. I might suggest the rocks behind you, although they could be come slippery when wet, depending upon their texture.
>>
No. 941686 ID: b1b4f3

Also don't forget Deem you can POWER UP
>>
No. 941797 ID: 0a7f21

I think standing your ground is the mistake, you need to push to the edge of the group and not let yourself get surrounded again.
>>
No. 941926 ID: 1ed92d

>>941563
Perhaps the pond is where their spawn live? Abort combat, withdraw.
>>
No. 941980 ID: 151656

>>941926
>Perhaps the pond is where their spawn live?

>>940698
>No signs of the tadpoles so far at least.
>>
No. 942306 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156560100626.png - (38.14KB , 800x600 , stab_them_frogs.png )
942306

>I think they are attacking you due to your location. Get away from the pond.
Yes well the problem is the numerous angry frogs in the way.

>See if you can duplicate the enchantment you used in the Deem Duo fight to create throwing knives from your own bones
That's slow, I don't have my Heart to do the heavy lifting for a stable casting and I'd need to get that token off Moriko to cast anything that's not golemetry.

>There isn't much the frogs can do to you that can't be fixed with some clay and tailoring. Go full "irresistible" force and march onto more open, drier ground.
Right, hardly the most elegant solution but repairs to my golem body are easily made. With Moriko covering my back, I switch to an all out attack. I'll make these frogs regret harassing us.
>>
No. 942308 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156560111992.png - (41.92KB , 720x720 , the_aftermath.png )
942308

We've waded through the wall of amphibians. Moriko and I croaked a few frogs and made our getaway but unfortunately we didn't get to take much with us. The fish we caught are safe and we also have a frog to eat, but one of the fishing rods was sadly a casualty of the battle.

We're also a mess again so I'm a little unsatisfied. I quickly patch up my wounds by absorbing some clay with my Gigant Mode but decide to play it safe and give Moriko one of the healing potions so she's in top form in case the devil bear decides to burst roaring out of the bushes.

She still seems fairly happy though.

>I bet you have some big secrets you're keeping hidden; perhaps even some you're keeping from yourself?
I wouldn't know.

I take some time over the next few days to brew some test batches of potion with Doyle's help. Seeing we ended up using one of the healing potions already, I make another attempt at them. No slimy skin side effects this time, but the effectiveness is limited since the drinker needs to absorb sunlight. In addition to the skin toughening potion (increased thirst), I now have a small batch of potions of jumping (webbed toes) and enlargement (consistency problems).
>>
No. 942309 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156560121313.png - (30.87KB , 800x600 , basically_a_leash.png )
942309

I've settled into a pattern of doing some rounds of the dungeon with my golem puppet twice a day. The new excavation is going well, I expect we'll have the new rooms done by the time we return. Despite the golem being completely unable to talk, Merud has started talking to me about his research so I've started setting aside some time for it in the early evening.

Maybe he just needs a listener to help him work through his ideas. Hin doesn't seem to have much patience for it and Reisarf is maybe too involved or too vacuous? I suppose that explains why he seemed to be talking to Moriko so much in the past.

"-The problem's going to be the core though." Merud continues. "This little slime isn't very strong so the reinforcing suit and the golem core regulating it both need to be very light. I don't think we can make anything out of stone or metal that'll be small enough."

I settle for tying a strip of fabric to a clay doll (slime stand-in) and a rock (golem core stand-in) to make my point.

"Right, we can make it as bulky and complex as it needs to be then! Deem, you're a genius!"
>>
No. 942310 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156560155415.png - (36.12KB , 800x580 , the_boys.png )
942310

We've started to run into more of the local wildlife too. The frogs are by far the most belligerent, and I have taken a certain petty satisfaction in exterminating any isolated ones I've encountered.

The insect life is both large and prolific too, which helps explain why the frogs are thriving here. They're mostly large by insect standards, but branch bugs have shown up.

They're a kind of giant stick insect. The grubs get laid in trees and migrate into the branch tips while they grow. They can be quite hazardous because they look like fallen branches and can whiplash their bodies for a forceful surprise attack. Firewood collection has mostly fallen on Moriko, as sense training.

There must be stagnant water nearby since I've seen mosquito fairies. Mainly a pest, since Moriko's the only one they'd be a danger to and they're cowardly. They can deepen sleep and make themselves hard to see, but the sound of their wings gives them away. The amount of blood they can drink does make repeated visits from one or a hungry swarm potentially dangerous. I caught one trying to drink Alkaline's 'blood' but it couldn't get through her membrane. I didn't have the heart to kill it.

We've seen some gorebulb spiders too. They're a little messy - if threatened they reanimate carcasses they have digesting in their abdomen.

We've seen some spinning strangleroots. They look innocuous until disturbed, at which point they burst out of the ground and attack with the root mass. Their spinning leaves keep them airborne until it finishes unwinding. The skull-like shape on the root bulb is just cosmetic.

Lately there's slime spitters too. These lizards store slime in their guts to help digest food and to spit out as a defence mechanism. First spotted them sneaking up to Alkaline's slimes to lick them. I've been keeping a closer watch since. Belphe is acting like a few were stalking him too.
>>
No. 942311 ID: 3d1dd5
File 156560168880.png - (47.71KB , 720x720 , slime_time_when.png )
942311

Speaking of Alkaline, she's been producing at least one slime a day since getting here. All together the slimes been eating more than expected, but we've had plenty of frogs to feed them.

The most developed of her slimes have started terrorising the local wildlife and the rest have been sticking close to the camp where they're protected. All have been terrorising the orderliness of the camp.

Using the bangle on her has been excellent training for her slimy skills. It's supposed to resist physical changes, which is why I've been encouraging her to keep tweaking her clothes and appearance as practice, but between her constant use of Hydro Pump and Gluttonous Goo she's been getting bigger if anything.

Though with Alkaline being so prolific, I think we should do a little work with her and her children to get a head start on developing them into their final forms. She can demonstrate and they can try to copy her. I had three roles in mind, which should we work on encouraging to manifest early?

Hoplites: Alkaline's basic slimes. Creates shields of toughened protective slime similar to Toxic Shroud and able to fuse and change shape to assume more powerful formations.
Assassins: An advanced ambush slime. Uses its mobility and Shadow Slick to hide and attack unexpectedly.
Craftslimes: An advanced producer slime focused on reproducing some of Alkaline's useful secretions like her Nourishing Goo, Sticky Slime or Bad Eggs.
>>
No. 942312 ID: 977456

Hoplites could be good but suffer from the risk of slimes generally being outmatched enough to lack persistence regardless of augments.
Assassins Get my vote for tactical versatility. Even if only a distraction, a distraction can be momentous if timed perfectly.
Craftslimes are very tempting, diversity in that field could be huge, but Alkaline already seems to provide enough chemicals for your current purposes.

Try to catch a mosquito fairy. They are adorable a good match to a darkness theme. Can the metamorphose into anything interesting?
>>
No. 942315 ID: ad51b8

Hoplites

mostly because we don't really have any real front line minions. I mean we only have 2 brute golems and the rest are more item users and while some of our friends can get up nice and close they're more mini bosses/bosses so having a standard front line force would probably be best since they would complement the brut golems quit well and buy more time for the Homunculi to use more items to boast themselves even more.
>>
No. 942316 ID: 0fae41

Hoplites. The slimes can fuse together to create a combatant that is hopefully more than the sum of its parts.
Can we trap any of those creatures inside our existing killzone to provide some additional nuisance to the bear? Gorebulb necromancy has potential. At the very least, it would be a shocking sight suitable to a Shadow dungeon.
>>
No. 942322 ID: f57349

Hoplites. Close-order drill and formation fighting take a lot of training to master, especially for amorphous types, so you might as well start early. Also the most immediately relevant, since a shield wall could help with tanking devil-bear attacks, and the easiest to practice in wide-open spaces. Sneaking and crafting will probably be easier to teach back in the dungeon.
>>
No. 942324 ID: b5bc34

Craftslimes. A lot of variety makes for useful combatants and useful workers.
>>
No. 942335 ID: 2eba1a

>>942311
Hoplites
We can specialize them in more quirky roles later, right now we want them to be as survivable as possible.

I feel like those Spiders have some utility potential. Maybe we could use them to get some use out of all the dead blasted frogs.
>>
No. 942339 ID: 12b116

Craftslimes!
>>
No. 942342 ID: 151656

>>942311
Aww, they're adorable. My vote's for Assassins, the enemy can't target what they can't see and with slimes it's better to make sure they always get the first hit.
>>
No. 942344 ID: 7fb87a

>>942311
Hoplites. Especially if it makes them conducive to teamwork and following orders.
>>
No. 942345 ID: 10c408

Assassin. That adventuring duo are sure to return, and probably bring their bomb throwing friend along. So even if we trained our slimes to be hoplites, they'd just get picked apart.
>>
No. 942351 ID: 1a6fd4

>>942311
Do we get to choose again for the next group? Or is it a one-time thing? Also, we're not in the dungeon right now, does that mean that if any of them die out here they stay dead? I feel like this isn't exactly a safe place for children. For now, I'd say Assassins just to play it safe.
>>
No. 942361 ID: d120e3

>>942311
Hoplites.
You make the basics before you jump to specialties. Unless these initial slimes are special in some way, there's no reason not to delay the assassins and support for after making the frontlines.
>>
No. 942364 ID: 10c408

>>942361
We *have* frontline grunts already. They're called golems!
>>
No. 942379 ID: a9af05

>>942310
I think we should attempt to recruit those lizards. They could pair well with our slimes.

>>942311
Train the slimes to become Hoplites.
>>
No. 942382 ID: b1b4f3

Any way we can teach the Hoplites to use Shadow Slick? Ambush in formation!
>>
No. 942402 ID: 0a7f21

Should be assassins, we want them to be ambush troops while our golems do the actual fighting or defending.

Not that I expect a lot of adventurers are going to get beaten by a slime surprise attack.
>>
No. 942409 ID: 58b4f3

>>942311
Hoplites!

>>942379
>Recruit lizards
Do this!
>>
No. 942414 ID: 6840e5

Let's make them assassins.
>>
No. 942429 ID: 679a6d

Assassins, the whole plan for the Dungeon was to use the slimes for ambushing while the Golems handled the front line.
>>
No. 942430 ID: 094652

I vote Craftsmen; they may not look committed, but they have the necessary curiosity needed to invent new tech.
>>
No. 942440 ID: 8d4593

Assassins! Shadow Slimes Ftw!
>>
No. 942441 ID: 465a14

assassins ofc
>>
No. 942450 ID: 9b60d8

I have no idea why so many of you are voting for generic frontline soldiers when that's exactly what we use golems for. The whole point of slimes is being Assassins, they don't last long in any other role.
>>
No. 942451 ID: 91ee5f

>>942308
>potions side effects
What does “consistency problems” mean? I don’t understand what kind of side effect that’s supposed to be.

>>942310
>slime spitters
>sneaking up to Alkaline's slimes to lick them.
>Belphe is acting like a few were stalking him too.
How are those lizards dangerous to Alkaline and Belphe?

>>942311
>she's been getting bigger if anything.
Exactly how big is she now?

>I had three roles in mind, which should we work on encouraging to manifest early?
Assassins
>>
No. 942452 ID: 10c408

>>942451
I wouldn't be surprised if the lizards coordinated enough to snatch some of alkaline's slime kids so they can have a steady supply of slime to digest food (at least until the slime is consumed)

And as for doyle... Probably just attracted to the smell of the healing potions.
>>
No. 942453 ID: 465a14

>>942451
From the esoteric, arcane powers of using my context clues and memory I proclaim that "consistency problems" is the bit where people go all slime-y.
>>
No. 942480 ID: 09e13b

Assassins.

All of these are really great and we'll want them all eventually, but the 'stealthy ambush' role is the only one we can't fill any other way. Golems can be tanks and front line fighters decently well, Doyle and Alkaline can make substances already, and we've already got decent ranged options outside of throwing Bad Eggs en masse. I'm sure dedicated slimes would be better in these roles than our current options (through numbers if nothing else) but I think it's better to close the gap before doubling up.
>>
No. 943039 ID: ac3398

Hrrm. I like hoplites, but assassins might not be a bad idea as well.
I’ll have to put my support behind Hoplites.
>>
No. 943040 ID: 4cf79d

>I don't think we can make anything out of stone or metal that'll be small enough.
This statement offends my profession.
At diminutive scales it's easier to sculpt complex forms in hard materials because anything soft tend to deform or break with the slightest shake.


The slime spitter look adorable.


Go with Hoplites. Follow Alexander's example.
>>
No. 943063 ID: f89679

>>942311
go with assassins, it's the only role we don't have anyone to fill yet
>>
No. 943202 ID: f0abbf

Hoplites!
>>
No. 943221 ID: ce39da

Assassins for coverage. Wasn't that already in our plans?
>>
No. 943224 ID: 1a6fd4

>>943221
>Wasn't that already in our plans?
In a word? No. It's been over a year and a half, but back in Ch 4 we actually decided upon Royal Court for Alkaline to pave the way for hoplites. That said, I don't think it has to be an all-or-nothing choice; this clutch can be Assassins, next can be Hoplites, next can be Craftslimes, and so on. That said, >>942382's idea of coordinated ambushers would be ideal.
>>
No. 943302 ID: a6e7d9

>>942311
Hoplites! The slimes are kind of an unruly gang right now, so even if hoplite tactics aren't immediately useful against the bear, a bit of discipline and orderliness should at least help the camp run a bit more smoothly.
>>
No. 943303 ID: 5d42c9

>>942311
I'd like to see some bloblites, they could even merge together and be a large blob with shields and spears, potentially blocking a whole hallway back at the dungeon.
>>
No. 943758 ID: de070a

I think a mix of assassin and hoplite would be cool, but it probably won't be doable.
>>
No. 943759 ID: de070a

We already have golems on the front line, so hoplites can wait for later. We're probably heading in a shadow direction, so assassins are the name of the game.
>>
No. 943760 ID: de070a

Also, Royal Court gives all slimes the ability to coordinate well. Hoplite just gives them better offensive/defensive powers and the abilit to coordinate even better.
>>
No. 944060 ID: 9c4f92
File 156731013301.png - (38.02KB , 800x550 , biggu_slimu.png )
944060

>Aww, they're adorable. My vote's for Assassins, the enemy can't target what they can't see and with slimes it's better to make sure they always get the first hit.
>Assassins get my vote for tactical versatility. Even if only a distraction, a distraction can be momentous if timed perfectly.
These are good points, but the dungeon doesn't really have any good spaces to use them at the moment. It needs somewhere larger and a bit more cluttered to give room to move and hide. The Golem Totem has a number of alcoves to put golem making materials in but it's one of the smallest rooms and the rest are quite open. They could potentially swim in the thaumatorium, but then they wouldn't be making much use of their Shadow Slick.

>Craftslimes are very tempting, diversity in that field could be huge, but Alkaline already seems to provide enough chemicals for your current purposes.
Yes, better to scale up the supply when I have more demand for it.

>We don't really have any real front line minions. I mean we only have two brute golems and the rest are more item users.
>We can specialise them in more quirky roles later, right now we want them to be as survivable as possible.
Considering how many headaches I've had redeploying my denizens under time pressure, a dependable bunch of slimes that can be relied on to bog down invaders sounds like a very good idea. They're also the best match for coordination skills I wanted Alkaline to focus on developing.

>Also, we're not in the dungeon right now, does that mean that if any of them die out here they stay dead? I feel like this isn't exactly a safe place for children.
The slimes are a colony organism - personalities recur through Alkaline's spawning and I can resurrect Alkaline.

>>Alkaline's been getting bigger if anything.
>Exactly how big is she now?
She's about three quarters water by volume.

It's worked out to be a good synergy between her Stretchy Slime, Toxic Shroud and Hydro Pump. She's soaked up a lot of water over the past few days, which has put pressure on her to exercise improving the mechanical properties of her slime. She's also been eating imp meat and poisonous plants to add to her toxic shroud. More material in her shroud and a tough and elastic slime membrane then lets her drink more water.

Her offensive power suffers due to her slime being diluted, but it's a useful trick to have. Since her hoplites are going to be defensively biased I might see if they can do the same.
>>
No. 944061 ID: 9c4f92
File 156731027361.png - (43.08KB , 800x550 , slime_daycare.png )
944061

>The slimes are kind of an unruly gang right now, so even if hoplite tactics aren't immediately useful against the bear, a bit of discipline and orderliness should at least help the camp run a bit more smoothly.
Considering there are a few creatures that may go after them, getting them organised and less under-foot would be good.

So she can help with teaching slimy shape-shifting more, I remove the Fixity Bangle from Alkaline so she can be changed back to normal. My slime princess immediately demands hugs, a resource that has been in short supply from me of late due since it required some ingenuity to extract myself in a timely manner. I indulge her, luring the other slimes back in the process.

Now that I have a few potions ready, Alkaline should be able to drink the toughness potion and an enlarging one to get ready for a fight quickly in case of unexpected bears. She hasn't gained as much mass from her Gluttonous Goo as I'd originally thought, I suspect she's been using it up to make slimes faster.

The training for the next few days is fairly simple - with Alkaline demonstrating, we run them through a series of tests and exercises to see which ones - climbing, stretching, swimming, simple team games, glomming together, drinking up water, supervised fights with some of the frogs, producing toughened slime and changing shape to see which ones have the highest aptitudes and then focusing on them to hopefully mature them into a hoplite specimen.

>>Potions side effects
>What does “consistency problems” mean? I don’t understand what kind of side effect that’s supposed to be.
I couldn't get it to enlarge consistently so the drinker will end up a little chunky.

Since I wasn't happy with my previous attempts at healing potions, I also scrounge up some materials to make another attempt. This one should be very efficient if taken shortly after receiving an injury, but may cause some overheating.
>>
No. 944062 ID: 9c4f92
File 156731038308.png - (35.80KB , 800x600 , alk_and_slimes.png )
944062

Keeping with Alkaline's customary rushing into things, the first graduates of the hoplite training are quickly produced. One's Alkaline's first budded slime, which I find completely unsurprisingly given the role she's taken in wrangling the younger slimes. I suspect we'll get a few more in the next day or two.

>That adventuring duo are sure to return, and probably bring their bomb throwing friend along. So even if we trained our slimes to be hoplites, they'd just get picked apart.
They're more resilient to that then you might think.

>Try to catch a mosquito fairy. They are adorable and a good match to a darkness theme.
>Can we trap any of those creatures inside our existing killzone to provide some additional nuisance to the bear? Gorebulb necromancy has potential. At the very least, it would be a shocking sight suitable to a Shadow dungeon.
>I think we should attempt to recruit those lizards. They could pair well with our slimes.
I don't have anywhere to keep them back at the dungeon! I also don't have anyone experienced with trapping or taming monsters so a certain level of trial and error will be involved. I know they live here now so I can make a return trip once my dungeon's better set up to accommodate new arrivals.

I won't trap any near the bear bait since they might make it suspicious.

>I wouldn't be surprised if the lizards coordinated enough to snatch some of Alkaline's slime kids so they can have a steady supply of slime to digest food (at least until the slime is consumed).
>And as for Doyle... Probably just attracted to the smell of the healing potions.
I don't want the lizards getting a taste for my slimes anyway. I have used Alkaline's slime products in a number of potions, which is probably why they were following him.

>Any way we can teach the Hoplites to use Shadow Slick? Ambush in formation!
Not really but I wanted Alkaline to focus on getting her slimes to work as a team anyway.
>>
No. 944063 ID: 9c4f92
File 156731043863.png - (38.27KB , 800x600 , slimes_and_alk.png )
944063

>I'd like to see some bloblites, they could even merge together and be a large blob with shields and spears, potentially blocking a whole hallway back at the dungeon.
>Hoplites. The slimes can fuse together to create a combatant that is hopefully more than the sum of its parts.

I want to have the new hoplites start practising what is intended to be their speciality but it seems Alkaline's beaten me to it. Her hoplites are looking much less squishy while she has had a corresponding increase in squishiness. "What have you done to yourself, Akaline?"

"Bleem!" my diminished slime princess says proudly.

----------------------------------------
New Ability
----------------------------------------
Delegate: Alkaline can loan one or more slimes a portion of her strength semi-permanently, powering them up and giving them access to some of her abilities. This weakens her accordingly and loaned abilities lose power or become unusable by her. She has to touch the slime to create or cancel a delegation.
----------------------------------------

"Oh Alkaline." I sigh. "It's clever of you to have figured this out, but you need to take care of yourself."

Alkaline nods happily. "I'm clever!"

We're burning through the week I allocated for bear hunting awfully fast, there's only a day left if we're going to stick to our original plan. We're in a good position to extend our stay here though. Perhaps I should add a few more days to our excursion? Maybe I should think about mixing up our tactics as well?
>>
No. 944065 ID: 0fae41

Neat ability, it lets Alkaline focus on resource collection while making the process of upgrading her slimes a simple, if centralized, process. She can even store excess slime in her bodyguards instead of having it weigh down her dexterity!
Make sure you check in with the dungeon regularly. You should head back when the week is up with or without a bear - you'll be able to research better methods to lure it with better equipment. As for field improvisation, perhaps you should put out some feelers for the bear - search for its lair, deface its territory markings, that sort of stuff - but whoever you send out needs to be able to run like hell back to the ambush point. Or escape retaliation/detection using Shadow Slick.
>>
No. 944066 ID: b1b4f3

>>944063
Alright how about we change tactics? Send a couple of slimes into Bear territory to enrage it, and somehow lure it out into an ambush?
>>
No. 944068 ID: 977456

Huh... you got a head... please use the lens on it! It seems to have lost a lot of reach and leverage by forgoing the formation of arms, legs, and torso and I am wondering if it gained anything from that. Or if it is just still a baby. I have heard good things about demilich slimes...
>>
No. 944072 ID: ad51b8

have you found any tracks or anything to help you actually track the bear down? I mean if you can find some trace that the bear is actually still around here then I wouldn't see to much harm in staying an extra day or two but if you can't find any trace that the bear is still around here it might be wiser to head back.
>>
No. 944074 ID: 91ee5f

>>944061
>My slime princess immediately demands hugs, a resource that has been in short supply from me of late due since it required some ingenuity to extract myself in a timely manner.
You should always give her hugs.

>>944063
>Alkaline nods happily. "I'm clever!"
Seems like Alkaline is getting better at talking. Eventually she’ll be able to speak entire sentences.

>can’t find bear
>What do?
Look for signs of the bear and try to track it back to its lair.
>>
No. 944078 ID: 10c408

Okay. First things first, verify that the trap has not been disturbed somehow.

if so, either leave it or dismantle it.

Then, start aggressively scouting the area, particularly where it first attacked you and Merud.

Be as noisy as possible and everyone else hang back and be quiet and alert. If the bear is territorial it will NOT appreciate some noisy intruder causing a racket. (though we'll probably piss off a bunch of other monsters doing this)

If for whatever reason this doesn't work at either driving the bear out of hiding OR we can't find any tracks to follow... Perhaps the devil bear is trying to hibernate? I'd start trying to find and explore caves next though this is a bit of a long stretch.
>>
No. 944085 ID: a9af05

>>944061
Deem, stop depriving your daughter of the hugs she desires!

>I couldn't get it to enlarge consistently so the drinker will end up a little chunky.
Who should we have use that when fighting the bear? Maybe Deem should use them? Or maybe Alkaline can use them to make up for her reduced size and mass when she uses Delegate?

>>944066
This.
>>
No. 944095 ID: 0c23a8

the best way to make proper soldiers out of them slimes, including alkaline, is bootcamp. some basic training. and i bet Moriko would make for an incredible instructor.
maybe she'll even find she has a knack for it, that would make her grow as a person waaay faster than fishing!
use this extra bear hunting time for a slime training montage.
>>
No. 944096 ID: 0c23a8

>>944095
and while people are training, maybe this new humanoid body of yours can learn something new.
>>
No. 944114 ID: 977456

Oooh oooh ooh! Make formations into something fun for them. Marching Band! You just need some rudimentary instruments. You can start by just giving them two sticks to hit together.
>>
No. 944123 ID: b19955

should we craft them proper spears or will they manage with creating one themselves like those shields? actually, how good are those shields?
>>
No. 944225 ID: 0a7f21

Do we really want alkaline to give up her unstable core? Maybe we do, it's a weakness and a perk after all.

And dropping a bit of mass isn't a bad thing, since she seems to be able to pick it up far faster than her slimes do.

Maybe as training we could have Moriko do some blindfolded blocking of slime attacks, if she's gotten to the point where she's good enough to do that. I don't think it'll be that useful for Moriko, something tells me we are going to need something a little bigger and more epic to get Moriko moving again, but the slimes will likely benefit from getting to fight with such a powerful opponent.
>>
No. 944286 ID: f57349

Bear-hunting expedition should be extended until you've had an encounter with the bear. Otherwise it'll be more of a Moriko-returning-unsatisfied expedition, and too many of those in a row is half the reason you brought her along.
>>
No. 946029 ID: 7ebbf9
File 156973415155.png - (24.00KB , 600x750 , never_speak_to_me_or_my_daughter_again.png )
946029

>Seems like Alkaline is getting better at talking. Eventually she’ll be able to speak entire sentences.
She... can already do that.

>Deem, stop depriving your daughter of the hugs she desires!
>You should always give her hugs.
She isn't my daughter and I only have so much to give.

>Who should we have use those potions when fighting the bear? Maybe Deem should use them? Or maybe Alkaline can use them to make up for her reduced size and mass when she uses Delegate?
She wouldn't be so diminished if she hadn't tried to delegate so much right away. Look at her! I'd been planning to use an enlarging potions on her along with the skin toughening potion and her own skills to act as a hopefully bear-proof distraction but I suppose I'll have to substitute with one of her powered up hoplites. Alkaline's going to have to stay away from the fight. The rest of the enlarging potions were going to be held in reserve if needed.

>Neat ability, it lets Alkaline focus on resource collection while making the process of upgrading her slimes a simple, if centralised, process. She can even store excess slime in her bodyguards instead of having it weigh down her dexterity!
She won't be producing as many slimes like this but maybe she can learn to combine it with her Gluttonous Goo or other abilities to offset it. This is the most basic version after all.

>Do we really want Alkaline to give up her Unstable Core? Maybe we do, it's a weakness and a perk after all.
She can take it back. She still hasn't done much with the Unstable Core but this is a sign she might be figuring out how to use it.

>Oooh oooh ooh! Make formations into something fun for them. Marching Band! You just need some rudimentary instruments. You can start by just giving them two sticks to hit together.
I'm not giving a gaggle of slimes noise makers. Unless...
>>
No. 946030 ID: 7ebbf9
File 156973425604.png - (40.40KB , 800x600 , a_cheap_tactic.png )
946030

>Alright how about we change tactics? Send a couple of slimes into Bear territory to enrage it, and somehow lure it out into an ambush?
Hmmm...

>Bear-hunting expedition should be extended until you've had an encounter with the bear. Otherwise it'll be more of a Moriko-returning-unsatisfied expedition, and too many of those in a row is half the reason you brought her along.
We've made a few good discoveries but you're right, I'd prefer to have Moriko come back with something more than a new-found appreciation of fishing.

>The best way to make proper soldiers out of them slimes, including Alkaline, is bootcamp. Some basic training. And I bet Moriko would make for an incredible instructor.
This gaggle of slimes definitely needs some organisation.

I get them started by trying to have some slimes merge together into larger slimes. It's a skill I need them to master and it means less slimes to herd. To my surprise, the two hoplites Alkaline delegated most of her strength to manage to fuse with two other slimes and still retain complex forms.

I sit on the sidelines to mind Alkaline and make sure they all behave. The slimes are making a good effort but combining does wear them out quickly and they lose focus easily.

>Maybe as training we could have Moriko do some blindfolded blocking of slime attacks, if she's gotten to the point where she's good enough to do that. I don't think it'll be that useful for Moriko, something tells me we are going to need something a little bigger and more epic to get Moriko moving again, but the slimes will likely benefit from getting to fight with such a powerful opponent.
So then I mix things up a little by having a grand melee of individual slimes against Moriko. Once half are too sleepy to continue, I take away their weapons and have her try it blindfolded. It seems like it was a good idea, the handicap is just enough that she's barely managing to stay ahead of them. I suspect she'll get the hang of it faster than they get coordinated so perhaps in just a few days we might be able to try it with fresh slimes or even some golems.

The challenge seems to have made everyone happy, except for Alkaline who I have firmly kept in my lap and prevented from joining in.
>>
No. 946031 ID: 7ebbf9
File 156973438483.png - (27.85KB , 800x550 , bring_me_bears.png )
946031

>Should we craft them proper spears or will they manage with creating one themselves like those shields? Actually, how good are those shields?
I brought a spare spear and have ended up making a second stone tipped one. Their shields are reasonably sturdy. More give than a normal shield but difficult to cut and they can be regenerated. They're actually superior to Alkaline's Toxic Shroud but less flexible and less coverage.

>Huh... you got a head... please use the lens on it! It seems to have lost a lot of reach and leverage by forgoing the formation of arms, legs, and torso and I am wondering if it gained anything from that. Or if it is just still a baby.
It seems to just be developing slowly. It might end up being a better match for one of the advanced slime kinds I intend Alkaline to create.

>Be as noisy as possible and everyone else hang back and be quiet and alert. If the bear is territorial it will NOT appreciate some noisy intruder causing a racket. (Though we'll probably piss off a bunch of other monsters doing this)
After a day of training and still no bears, I send out slime search parties. They're directed to travel up to higher ground away from the frog's favoured areas before they start kicking up too much of a fuss. I've given them the toughening potion to use just in case.

The encampment still needs to stay fairly fixed though - Moriko's fishing, provoking the frogs and occasionally finding something that went after the baits are our only supplementary sources of food.
>>
No. 946032 ID: 7ebbf9
File 156973450628.png - (37.64KB , 720x720 , three_faces_of_deem.png )
946032

While the slimes train and explore, I finally manage rid myself of those curses from the raw mana experiments. As much entertainment as I'm sure my golem sculpting and occasional loose lips provided my denizens, it's a relief it's over.

The curses embedded in that orange goo certainly were persistent seeing I've encysting and expelling some parts of them. I'll have to identify them later.

These little curse crystals might be useful for making something in Hin's forge.
>>
No. 946033 ID: 7ebbf9
File 156973464391.png - (45.58KB , 800x550 , my_gosh_deem_a_bear.png )
946033

I'd started to worry but on the third day of our extended safari, we've provoked the bear. I have a golem sentry that spots the slime scouts running for their lives, bear hot on their tail. It looks like one didn't make it.

It's time to rid this forest of the bear menace!

The bear's main threats are its size, mobility and that it curses any wounds it inflicts to make them hard to heal. The plan is simple, I and an enhanced hoplite help keep the bear in place, the two homunculi harass it and Moriko focuses on killing it. The remaining slimes help harass too but stay further back, especially Alkaline.

The potions I've brewed are focused on countering it. Moriko and the enhanced hoplite will use the skin toughening potion, the hoplite Alkaline delegated to also uses an enlarging potion, fuses with slimes and absorbs a lot of water and the golems take the jumping potion. I've passed out some healing potions and am keeping the rest of the enlarging potions in reserve.

Any last minute tweaks I should make?
>>
No. 946034 ID: b1b4f3

>>946032
That's a relief. Now I can bother you about us without you impulsively burying the impulse to respond.
Hmm, have you met many kobolds? What's your opinion on them?

>>946033
It'd be pretty cool to disable its legs so it can't run.
I wonder if Belphejar can do anything to help during the fight?
This is more for after the fight, but don't forget to gather potentially useful materials from the bear once it's dead.
>>
No. 946036 ID: 977456

Nooo, not Pac-slime! May you wakka wakka in the lands of infinite power pellets...

Can you voluntarily disarm yourself? It probably defaults to biting anything that punches at its face, and a lump of clay down its throat would probably be an impediment.

Your plan seems good as is. Alkaline rushing in is a constant risk- Actually, keep her busy making "music". It will probably annoy the bear enough to distract it but not enough for blind rage, and an Alkaline with a "very important duty" is less likely to get into trouble.
Or she could just lob glue at its face, buff the hoplite, and first-aid the scouts.
>>
No. 946038 ID: ad51b8

quick question, does that thing still have your old blade stabbed into it or is that still gone? I liked that sword.
>>
No. 946040 ID: 094652

Scatter some basic bear traps (pressure plate with a spiked frame that clamps perpendicular to its plate to penetrate and claw the leg). Have the slimes flow over them and trigger if the bear uses its teeth instead of its limbs.
>>
No. 946044 ID: 0a7f21

No suggestions, but I'll point I like the dryad form you were in for a moment there.
>>
No. 946045 ID: a9af05

>>946033
If your sword is still lodged in that bear's hide, have Moriko treat it like a nail and hammer it into the bear!

That'll either injury the bear a little bit or, if Moriko hits the sword hard enough, the sword will go all the way through the bear and out its opposite side, severely damaging the bear!
>>
No. 946048 ID: 0fae41

The dryad form has promise. Extended reach, and rooting yourself into the ground to resist being knocked over. You'd best gird yourself to get batted around a lot.
>>
No. 946049 ID: 10c408

Recall the golem sentry and get it back to camp as well. It's job is to cover for any unexpected developments, such as the bear changing targets and deciding to attack Alkaline instead of the others that are actively attacking it.

And as for how to kill it... Honestly? Fuck this thing. It doesn't deserve honour rules in the ensuing combat. Wound it's paws and limbs and let Moriko have at it while you circle around to the backside to try and get some hits on the back limbs or if we get very lucky we can cripple it outright with a jab at the bear's reproductive organ.
>>
No. 946054 ID: 1ed92d

>>946033
You, yourself, should get to high ground, like a tree. It has shown itself to be cunning and very dangerous in the past, so it should not be put past it to just accept numerous wounds to try and crush you or Alkaline. A tree will prevent it from easily rushing you down, as it will have to stop and climb or try and batter the entire tree down.
>>
No. 946062 ID: e7dcb0

>>946045
Good addition.
>>
No. 946087 ID: 977456

>>946054
Opposing this as you are highly resistant o the bear's attacks. That said, remember your concerns about the curse spreading to your shard. Try to remove cursed clay from yourself mid-combat if you have the means and opportunity. Also add some 'mine canaries' in the form of small gouges out of your shoulders or something, to let you know if the curses are spreading and you need to get out of the fight or risk losing your hot bod.
On the other hand, getting your shard cursed might be a good chance to get some serious studying done on your shard. That thing is fascinating and at this rate you are never voluntarily going to take some time off to be a full dungeon while your injuries are examined and hopefully treated.
Also agreeing with the plan to be a tree. Much sturdy! Very leverage! Could get you more curses from a lack of mobility, but a massive upgrade to bear-hugging!
>>
No. 946108 ID: 8d924c

>>946033
hey Deem
how dangerous are angels?
>>
No. 946113 ID: 91ee5f

>>946032
Aww, kobold Deem is adorable! Especially with that snoot that’s just perfect for booping! I wonder if Alkaline booped Deem’s snoot every chance she got while Deem was in that form?

>As much entertainment as I'm sure my golem sculpting and occasional loose lips provided my denizens, it's a relief it's over.
Come on, it wasn’t that bad. You should sculpt your body into different forms every once and a while, so that you can entertain your denizens. It’ll help boost morale if everyone can see that their boss isn’t a grump all the time!

>>946033
>bear incoming!
Make sure you lure the bear into the traps you set!

>>946045
This!
>>
No. 946180 ID: f57349

While a quick kill would obviously be the ideal, remind Moriko not to pass up opportunities for "cheap" shots at disabling the bear's limbs, thereby reducing it's ability to maneuver or hit back, and not to take her eyes off it even for a moment lest it slip away with unnatural speed.
>>
No. 946227 ID: 0fae41

>>946048
Also, use one enlarging potion now on yourself. Handy that you can use them yourself now!
>>
No. 946277 ID: 2eba1a

>>946033
Dont forget to use those pits we made if things get hairy. No ones really expecting them to be a bear killer, but in combat, even a second or two it spends navigating or climbing out of them can be useful.
Use your poison!
And dont get cursed again. Quite enough of that for a while, right?
Other then that, if at all possible, try to keep the bear's body intact so we can use it after.
>>
No. 946545 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157028027602.png - (47.26KB , 800x600 , potion_abuse.png )
946545

>The dryad form has promise. Extended reach, and rooting yourself into the ground to resist being knocked over. You'd best gird yourself to get batted around a lot.
I'll use a taller version of it then. I scrape up every bit of spare clay I have and raid my stone stockpile for the limbs to make the modifications I round up my forces.

>Come on, it wasn’t that bad. You should sculpt your body into different forms every once and a while, so that you can entertain your denizens. It’ll help boost morale if everyone can see that their boss isn’t a grump all the time!
They didn't even want to fight me last time I reinforced myself!

>Aww, kobold Deem is adorable! Especially with that snoot that’s just perfect for booping! I wonder if Alkaline booped Deem’s snoot every chance she got while Deem was in that form?
She did not.

>Can you voluntarily disarm yourself? It probably defaults to biting anything that punches at its face, and a lump of clay down its throat would probably be an impediment.
I'm not tearing my arm off in the hopes of slightly inconveniencing the bear.

>Hey Deem
>How dangerous are angels?
More dangerous than bears.

>Also, use one enlarging potion now on yourself. Handy that you can use them yourself now!
Yes, I'll commit to extending my reach and holding my ground. As my denizens drink their allocated potions, I take a chunky enlarging potion from the leftovers.

>That said, remember your concerns about the curse spreading to your shard. Try to remove cursed clay from yourself mid-combat if you have the means and opportunity. Also add some 'mine canaries' in the form of small gouges out of your shoulders or something, to let you know if the curses are spreading and you need to get out of the fight or risk losing your hot bod.
I'll feel it if it starts to get that bad. I intend to stay firmly connected to my 'hot bod'.
>>
No. 946546 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157028034937.png - (23.36KB , 800x550 , angry_slime_noises.png )
946546

>Alkaline rushing in is a constant risk- Actually, keep her busy making "music". It will probably annoy the bear enough to distract it but not enough for blind rage, and an Alkaline with a "very important duty" is less likely to get into trouble.
No musical slimes! That'll just encourage her to get in trouble.

>Or she could just lob glue at its face, buff the hoplite, and first-aid the scouts.
Much better.

"Alkaline," I say to her. " This is important. You're not to fight the bear. I need you to look after your slimes. Any that get hurt, I need them to retreat to you." I hand her one of the healing potions to be on the safe side. "And if the bear attacks you, use your glue to try and slow it down. Don't try to stand your ground."

She nods seriously. I hope she takes it seriously.

Our slime scouts aren't here yet. It'll mean moving out of position but I think we need ot find them in case the bear decides to head off again. A few steps into the wood and Moriko hears some growls and angry peeping. We rush deeper and find the bear.

Alkaline's delegated hoplite has stumbled, back laid open by a big slash. The last of the little slimes I sent to scout is between her and the bear, puffing itself up and burbling angrily.
>>
No. 946547 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157028049205.png - (58.19KB , 800x600 , tree_trunks.png )
946547

I arm myself with a convenient dead tree. "Hey bear!" I yell at the brutish beast. "Remember me? You're in trouble this time!" I'm feeling a little brutish myself. I feel the earth-pulse pounding! It's time for some revenge.

The devil bear paws the ground angrily then swings away from the slimes and charges me. I root myself to brace and everyone else spreads out to harass it. You're not throwing me around this time, you wretched creature! I fall back step by step so we can fight the bear on the grounds we prepared relying on wide swings to keep it off me.

I make the unexpected discovery I can absorb earth while rooted to heal and enlarge myself like my Demesne form, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk with just crumbly soil.

>Quick question, does that thing still have your old blade stabbed into it or is that still gone? I liked that sword.
I don't see the sword, but the fur looks rust coloured and matted on its right side. Maybe the tip snapped off in the wound?

>I wonder if Belphejar can do anything to help during the fight?
He's already helped by providing the potions, I let him cower in the bushes for now. At least he's here if I need him.
>>
No. 946548 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157028053883.png - (44.02KB , 750x600 , beating_up_bears.png )
946548

>Don't forget to use those pits we made if things get hairy. No ones really expecting them to be a bear killer, but in combat, even a second or two it spends navigating or climbing out of them can be useful.
The bear is on our grounds and getting steadily more frustrated at these invaders dancing around it. I lure it into one of the sticky pits, and as it climbs out onto out bait pail, switch to the offensive.

>If your sword is still lodged in that bear's hide, have Moriko treat it like a nail and hammer it into the bear!
"Moriko, the right side!" I say.

As my forces dance around it, I hit the bear in the face with my club. The root ball's mainly just compacted dirt but it does make the bear very angry with me, and stuns it for a moment. Moriko jabs the bear, I've been on the receiving end of that attack know it hurts. There's a metallic clang and the bear howls in pain, suddenly bleeding profusely from that spot.
>>
No. 946549 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157028060690.png - (44.85KB , 800x600 , barely_a_fight.png )
946549

>It'd be pretty cool to disable its legs so it can't run.
I'm not going to give it that chance. My denizens are swarming it, keeping it under constant attack. My golems jab at its paws and face and Moriko moves in whenever she spots an opening. Alkaline's slimes attack from the fringes when they can. Her delegated hoplite and I are admittedly more of a distraction and defender, but I do feel a certain vindictive pleasure in getting one or two good hits in.

Every blow the bear lands gets repaid many times over and before long Moriko finishes the beast off with a blow to the head. It's over! No longer will we live in fear of devilish bears! A great day for all of us!

Now there's the matter of what's next. I've taken the most attacks, but the wounds are manageable. One homunculus took a bad cut to the shoulder but aside from that the only other major injury was the slime scout. The devil bear's lair probably now has quite a bit of unclaimed gold which I am thoroughly tempted to move to and claim the moment I can sense it, but it I suppose it behooves me to wait until I've settled everything I need to here.

Is there anything else I should take care of?
>>
No. 946550 ID: ba0ee8

>>946549
First aid before looting. Also, can ya skin the bear? Even without trophy value thats a real nice hide... Unless it's cursed.
>>
No. 946551 ID: 9caba2

>>946549
Get that bear field dressed and scoop out any potentially affected clay from your golems and slime from alkaline's slimes.

Make sure you don't take root, we know how meticulous you can be with minor details of your transformations.

Other than that, keep an eye out for any unexpected side effects from the potion as you head for the gold?
You can probably haul the dressed carcass as a group on the way back, or tell your companions and homunculi to start dragging it back immediately while you get that precious gold.

Oh and water retention, be sure to keep an eye out for that now that you're a clay golem tree thing.
>>
No. 946553 ID: 0a7f21

Are the cursed wounds likely to have any effect on the slime or homonculus? Maybe doing something about that should be first.

But also, since you have the ability to root, could you at the same time root down and try to suss out the area and where the bears lair would be through the ground?
>>
No. 946555 ID: 465a14

Be sure to praise Moriko and Alkaline for their performance while you're doing first aid- they've done well and Moriko deserves special attention for dealing the deathblow. Also I agree that the bear's hide would be great to have unless it's too cursed to process.
>>
No. 946557 ID: ad51b8

>I don't see the sword, but the fur looks rust coloured and matted on its right side. Maybe the tip snapped off in the wound?
son of a... I liked that sword

>Is there anything else I should take care of?
fix whoever got scratched up first and then see how much gear you lost. I'm noticing one of the golem's spears broke so might as well double check what we have left. Also can we use the bear to make some gear back at the dungeon? If nothing else if we can get a bear skin rug we might be able to get some decent coin or at least make our minion's personal living corners more homely.
>>
No. 946558 ID: 0fae41

>Enlarge with dirt
A handy evolution of an ability. You can stack the odds by using this in much more compacted soil, like in a peat bog perhaps? You can terraform areas of your dungeon as you like to support pseudo-ent golems.
Manage the squishies' injuries (including Moriko, if she got any) using our potion stock, then clean up your arena. Bury the bait in the filled up pits! This could keep attracting monsters after you're gone if you just leave it.
>>
No. 946559 ID: 8d23f0

>>946549
scare the frogs for fun with moriko
>>
No. 946562 ID: 6373f8

>>946549
you want the bear corpse, or at least whatever magical ingredients you can make out of it. the pelt at the very least.
get those wounds treated, the cursed injuries are annoying.
how are the slimes? any casualties?
make sure to praise alkaline for not rushing in. and in general for being a good girl.
>>
No. 946563 ID: 8d4593

Those devil bear claws sure would be a nasty addition to any weapon.

The head would make a lovely trophy for your Heart Chamber.

I'm sure Belph can do something with the blood.

And the hide could be used in part to create something nice for Moriko
>>
No. 946564 ID: 7fb87a

Definitely clean up after yourselves before hunting down the den. Who knows what foulness will seep into the earth from this monster's corpse

Also, closely examine the broken off blade. Are there any signs that it was broken off cleanly? If someone is bold and twisted enough to take care of this beast, your hunt may not be over.
>>
No. 946568 ID: e7dcb0

First aid and helping Alkaline take care of the injured? dead? slime scout. It would probably be hard to skin the bear with clay knives, so that either has to wait, or maybe you'll find something Sharp in its cave.

Also, obviously, some quick celebration before moving on.
>>
No. 946572 ID: 151656

>>946557
>son of a... I liked that sword
If we find the rest in its den, Hin should be able to repair it.
>>
No. 946575 ID: 977456

Open its stomach and see if pac-slime is still recoverable. Also brace for sad slimes if the scene is particularly gruesome.
>>
No. 946587 ID: ce39da

The bear’s been taken down, but make sure you really confirm that kill before doing anything else. Dress it down for anything useful while Alkaline tends to the hoplite. After that, then look for that gold.
>>
No. 946588 ID: b1b4f3

inb4 Alkaline eats all the cursed goop.
>>
No. 946597 ID: 977456

>>946588
It is cursed fizzy drink! Possibly red fizzy drink, because red wunz make hyperactive young slimes go faster!
>>
No. 946599 ID: 10c408

Starting treating the members of your team that need aid.

Send Moriko off in the direction the bear came from.

When she's gone and everyone else has been treated gut the bear and store the viscera in doyle. Clean the bones and bundle them up separately. This'll also let you get the broken sword fragment back and hopefully moriko won't have issues with you taking the entire carcass apart bit by satisfying bit while she's off scouting for it's lair.

>_> While it's ultimate function will undoubtedly be a nice rug you should take the devil bear's hide and drape it over one shoulder, tied off at the hip like a celebratory sash. (clean it first, of course)
>>
No. 946600 ID: 5b93d3

>>946549
A small celebratory dance with Moriko is in order (if slightly awkward with the size difference).
>>
No. 946601 ID: a9af05

>>946549
Pick Moriko up off the ground and hug her while shouting, "We did it!" Jumping up and down is optional.

Realize what you're doing and apologize to Moriko, then before you get a chance to put her down, become surrounded in slime as Alkaline, with all of her delegated slime returned to her, joins in on the hug.
>>
No. 946668 ID: 2eba1a

>>946549
FINALLY!
Once everyones fixed up, we can set about bleeding that bear. I think bleeding it into one of the spike or glue trap holes would be a good idea, and putting the rest in Doyle, that way if any wild monsters or beast get attracted by the scent, we can come back here to hunt them later!

Right now I'd say pull out only a couple of fangs from the Bear now while the Earth pulse is still pumping, should make for a good trophy, and reagent.

other then that, save the skinning and disassembly of the rest for back at the dungeon so as not to attract more trouble.
And remember to keep the skeleton and claws intact so we can Start on the Golemizing process!
>>
No. 946671 ID: 1ed92d

>>946549
Check for mates or young. Cubs would be a potential source of minions or, should they prove unwilling, slippers. The gold will be a valuable source of gold to further empower the dungeon.

Also you should probably go look for any kind of Shadow Moriko while you're out here. Just in case.
>>
No. 946675 ID: 33056f

Might as well hug Moriko before the triage in case she uh, needs more from that.
>>
No. 946684 ID: 977456

>>946668
Uh... I am not educated in the matter, but I suspect that blood would be the most valuable part for Doyle and "the rest" is... Well you could probably do something with the sinews... Maybe some sort of "When you aren't looking at it." enchantment on a tripwire or a cursed piano... But unless we want Evil Sausage I doubt the guts are of much value, unless there is something left of the slime it probably ate?
>>
No. 946686 ID: 2eba1a

>>946684
Sorry, I meant bleed the majority of the blood, and put the rest, "of the blood", into Doyle, so he doesnt get over full.
I kinda assumed we were just going to be eating most of the rest of the meat and guts.
Bear jerky maybe?
>>
No. 946701 ID: 151656

>>946668
>Start on the Golemizing process!
See >>/questdis/95150
>it's very hard to make a golem out of formerly living material because you get interference from trying to overwrite the golem's concept of motion on top of the corpse's vital functions.
I guess we could make a golem shaped like the bear and add the skin, fangs and claws afterwards, but what's the point?
>>
No. 946703 ID: 094652

>>946671
Seconded. If you can locate the cubs, you can keep them as pets or at least prevent them from becoming further threats.

Do some additional scouting and place a sentry near this area. With the apex gone, the vermin will play...
>>
No. 946713 ID: 977456

There almost certainly aren't any cubs. Devilbear is a high-level spawn and Deem is still... petite... and trying to keep her... influence... low, so high-level monsters should have difficulty propagating. That said, I am really curious what Alkaline could learn from eating a cub, or just holding one inside her for as long as possible without eating it to build up her... stomach muscles?
>>
No. 946723 ID: 2eba1a

>>946701
If you had read further in that same source, you would have seen where Someone asks if you could bypass that problem by encasing said corpse in a mana conductive/absorptive material, like gold. to which the answer was yes.
So the plan is to strip the bear down to the skeleton, claws, teeth, and maybe some of the sinew/joints, and then sheathing, or preferably plating the skeleton in that to essentially create an armored-bear-skeleton golem using the Bear as the core or a reagent to empower it. Theres no way Deems giving up that much gold so we'll probably end up having to use iron or some other earthy material we can get a large supply of. Clay would be too soft, or brittle if baked, and probably not receptive enough anyway. And I figure if we do it right, and leave the claws and fangs exposed, We my be able to get it to keep some of the Bear's curse ability intact, and it should be appropriately both Earthy in its new hell, and spooky for our Earth/Shadow dungeon.
>>
No. 946725 ID: 2eba1a

>>946723
To be more exact, I believe the question specified the Skeleton, and not the whole corpse, which I think makes more sense since there wouldnt be meat parts confusing things with their need to breathe and pump things, And the Skeleton would be performing essentially the same function it always has.
Also makes more sense if you think of it as making a Golem using the skeleton, rather then making one from the skeleton, if that makes sense.
>>
No. 946728 ID: 151656

>>946723
>>946725
Can you give a source for all this? I'm not finding any of that in the dis thread. Unless you're speaking about the part about combining golemetry with necromancy, which doesn't really matter right now because we don't have a necromancer.
Besides, regardless of whether Deem approves that (she won't), you're still failing to point out what benefit any of that gives. The whole "keep the curse" aspect is completely unsupported, since keeping an effect it had in life would require necromancy, if it's even possible. As far as I can tell, your plan is just wasting a perfectly serviceable bear skeleton that Hin would be able to take much better advantage of.
>>
No. 946732 ID: 2eba1a

>>946728
Admittedly, I cant find my post at this point, but I wont expect anyone to take my word on it, So this
>>946549
will just be me, asking about it again, that if we insulate the skeleton with an appropriate material, can we then Golemize that skeleton, and bypass the golemancy/necromancy interference?
If yes, great! If not, also fine.
>>
No. 946753 ID: d6afc2

>>946548
The bearcarcas is probably to heavy to carry, but if we manage to skin it we can cure it we have a Bearpelt. The slimes shurely can clean the Pelt from leftover meat.

Perhaps we can give Moriko the pelt? That would make her a berserker (bearcoat) in the most literal sense.
>>
No. 946762 ID: 91ee5f

>>946545
>Alkaline did not boop kobold Deem’s snoot
Aw, Alkaline missed out on the booping.

>>946549
>What do?
Everyone get fixed up. Congratulate everyone for doing a good job. Take important bits from the bear’s corpse. Go look for its cave for any valuables.

.....hey, you mentioned you could feel the earth-pulse pounding. Does that mean you could do something with the earth-pulse now? Or would it not work, since this fight didn’t take place in your dungeon?
>>
No. 946771 ID: f57349

Transfer surplus mana back to your dungeon heart, bandage wounds, disassemble bear carcass, keep any valuable organic bits from spoiling, get a campfire started for the celebratory post-battle feast.
>>
No. 947461 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157156616411.png - (44.47KB , 800x600 , grizzly_aftermath.png )
947461

>Get those wounds treated, the cursed injuries are annoying.
My wounds aren't too severe so I try having Alkaline apply some of her slime to leech out some of the curse again. She crawls over me as I sit and then takes the opportunity to monopolise my lap. The damaged homunculus' shoulder wound is deep so I have Alkaline donate some slime to that cause as well. Alkaline's powered-up hoplite flops to the ground nearby, exhausted.

>Once everyone's fixed up, we can set about bleeding that bear. I think bleeding it into one of the spike or glue trap holes would be a good idea, and putting the rest in Doyle, that way if any wild monsters or beast get attracted by the scent, we can come back here to hunt them later!
Since I have three usable and unoccupied homunculus arms, I set them to work dragging the bear away a little and starting the work on that.

>Be sure to praise Moriko and Alkaline for their performance while you're doing first aid- they've done well and Moriko deserves special attention for dealing the deathblow. Also I agree that the bear's hide would be great to have unless it's too cursed to process.
"That all came together well." I say to the two of them. "We're going to have so much more freedom to work in these woods without having to worry about ambush by that bear."

Moriko holds her hammer tight to herself at the praise. "If only imps were this simple to eradicate." she says.

"A different sort of problem I fear. But part of that new freedom will let me exert more control over how monsters are spawning nearby."

>Scare the frogs for fun with Moriko
"Hmm, I don't want those frogs getting too uppity now the bear's gone, come to think of it." I add. "We might need to harass them one last time before we go."

>Make sure to praise Alkaline for not rushing in. And in general for being a good girl.
I glance down at my slime princess, looking so content you'd think she was sitting in an overstuffed sofa instead of my lap.

"And good girl, Alkaline, for following the plan. You and all your slimes worked very hard today."

"Good girl!" Alkaline agrees.

>>Enlarge with dirt
>A handy evolution of an ability. You can stack the odds by using this in much more compacted soil, like in a peat bog perhaps? You can terraform areas of your dungeon as you like to support pseudo-ent golems.
I could always do that, it's just that loose earth is worse material than clay for the type of golem-forming I prefer.

>Oh and water retention, be sure to keep an eye out for that now that you're a clay golem tree thing.
>But also, since you have the ability to root, could you at the same time root down and try to suss out the area and where the bears lair would be through the ground?
These modifications are primarily cosmetic, these roots simply give me another means of taking in material from my surroundings.

>A small celebratory dance with Moriko is in order (if slightly awkward with the size difference).
I don't think either of us are great dancers.
>>
No. 947462 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157156620867.png - (35.22KB , 800x550 , slime_survivor.png )
947462

>See how much gear you lost. I'm noticing one of the golem's spears broke so might as well double check what we have left.
Aside from single broken spear, we've ended up using most of potions. I have a single enlarging potion left and the healing potions. Moriko did use one of the side-effect free potions after the frog battle however.

>Dress the bear down for anything useful while Alkaline reabsorbs her delegations and tends to the hoplite. I end up donating a sunlight fueled healing potion to the mauled scout hoplite since those will be less effective within my dungeon and leave her with Alkaline to be fed some of her nourishing goo.

With the bear skin off, I stretch it out, weigh down the edges and set some of Alkaline's slimes to scraping the excess meat and fat off.

In the process, I find the snapped off tip of my orichalcum sword. That half closed wound helped us a lot in the fight, but it is still a little annoying to find that the devil bear did break my sword in the end.

>How are the slimes? Any casualties?
In addition to one of the scouting slimes, it seems that one of the hoplites - the frog-like one - stayed too close to the bear and was croaked. I accidentally stood on one of the other slimes during the fight but that one's fine.

>.....hey, you mentioned you could feel the earth-pulse pounding. Does that mean you could do something with the earth-pulse now? Or would it not work, since this fight didn’t take place in your dungeon?
I have very little to capture it with here. My Heart will benefit a little, but I haven't gathered enough to work any dungeon magic.

With the main work taken care of, I leave Belphe with Alkaline and the slimes to guard the camp and set off with Moriko and my homunculi to trace that growing burn of unclaimed gold and take it.

>Definitely clean up after yourselves before hunting down the den. Who knows what foulness will seep into the earth from this monster's corpse
The pelt will be the most valuable part, though I will hang on to the claws and bones since my dungeon is starved for material. The choicer cuts of meat too.

>If we insulate the skeleton with an appropriate material, can we then Golemize that skeleton, and bypass the golemancy/necromancy interference?
What? That wouldn't do anything useful.

>Perhaps we can give Moriko the pelt? That would make her a berserker (bearcoat) in the most literal sense.
>And the hide could be used in part to create something nice for Moriko
Perhaps, I'll have to consult with Hin what can be made from it.
>>
No. 947463 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157156630732.png - (27.05KB , 800x600 , typical_bear_hoard.png )
947463

>Other than that, keep an eye out for any unexpected side effects from the potion as you head for the gold?
There's some traipsing through the woods as we try to find the route to the bear's lair and identify the entrance. The potion's side effects linger longer than the enlargement but that was expected.

>Also you should probably go look for any kind of Shadow Moriko while you're out here. Just in case.
The night hag attack was weeks ago. If it existed I think we would have encountered it by now.

>Check for mates or young. Cubs would be a potential source of minions or, should they prove unwilling, slippers. The gold will be a valuable source of gold to further empower the dungeon.
No, cubs, but there is gold! Piles of gold! This was the right decision, this was a perfect decision, I'm too excited to even precisely count it all, there's over a thousand gold here. That's enough to reinforce my Heart and level up!

>If we find the rest of the sword in its den, Hin should be able to repair it.
My sword is here too! And what's that in the back? An oreberry bush? Simply copper but an unexpected little bonus.

I can't stop thinking about that gold. I reflect on my experiences thus far for a direction to take my dungeon as it develops.

Fecund: A cradle to support life. An environment lush with plants and monsters. Plentiful resources to harvest and to use against invaders. Plants can be grown to be compatible with golemetry, allowing complex golems. Plants and denizens develop and heal faster in the presence of Deem's golem body.

Stone: Graven monoliths, architecture to awe. Complex mechanisms and labyrinths made out of seemingly simple stone. An advanced ability to identify, locate and transmute special stones and ores into dungeon constructions and golems. Deem can opt to salvage a smaller golem body out of her remains when 'killed'.

Cursed: Strength through adversity. An environment that oppresses invaders, afflicting them before they see even a single enemy. Dungeon-made items and effects with a flaw or drawback are more powerful. Deem can create ordeals, a curse placed on one of her denizens intended to make them more powerful by overcoming or assimilating it. Deem's golem body can place minor curses on others though it has a chance of backfiring.

Vigorous: Challenges of strength and physical prowess. Invaders are faces with various obstacle courses and tests of strength to continue. The earth-pulse is more stirred by exertion, allowing Deem to maintain a larger golem labour force. The dungeon's denizens are more likely to develop physically focused abilities. Denizens are energised and have improved stamina in the presence of Deem's golem body.

Chaos: The contrivance of coincidence into something greater. Distortion of the world. The rules invaders thought they knew no longer apply. Experiments are more likely to yield usable anomalies. Deem's golem body is indistinct within the larger body of her dungeon, letting her relocate around it in ways that should be impossible.
>>
No. 947465 ID: ad51b8

so are any of the bones in here useful for crafting material or not so much?

As for dungeon themes...
Stone I feel would fit best with what we already have and would complement your artistic talents.

Cursed Could work because while not as easy to slip into as stone all the curse work you've been doing with Alkaine, and with her now being able to make slimes, AND the "flawed" potions we've been making could be something we could fit into quite well.

Chaos on the other hand... well that one just sounds fun but it does seem like that route would focus heavily on you and less on your minions so if you're even unable to protect your dungeon during an invasion for whatever reason the dungeon itself would be crippled.


Eh, I'll go with the classic and pick STONE. Fits in easiest with what we already have and we can build special biomes to be better suited for our minions.
>>
No. 947466 ID: 9caba2

>>947463
Well you've already had a good share of adversity from Curses, seems only fair that you turn around and inflict it on the adventurers. Throw in a some time consuming but not necessarily hard puzzles and it'd be a good way to create some hardship before the fighting even starts.

Heck it'd even work with a game-like dungeon, on a loss they drink a cursed potion, on a win your denizens drink it. Though that's a poor excuse for wanting potion shenanigans from me.
>>
No. 947467 ID: 094652

Reign Chaos and harvest the science!

And maybe some impossible forms.
>>
No. 947468 ID: 939e7c

>>947463
Fecund I´ll say. Considering the bomb flowers and mushrooms, we were already knida moving into a plant direction. And now we even have an oreberry bush. Wonderful, what a great find.

Whats an oreberry?
>>
No. 947469 ID: 76349d

CHAOS
>>
No. 947471 ID: 5b93d3

>>947463
Fecund. Plant golemetry sounds fascinating, and it makes for a nice environment for your denizens.
>>
No. 947472 ID: 695467

All of these are good themes, I like Fecund the most at the moment, because the dryad form Deem is using right now looks rad. Stone intermingled with plant seems cool.

Stone, Vigorous, and Cursed also are very thematic, but can't complete with Dryad Deem
>>
No. 947473 ID: a6e7d9

>>947463
Gimme that CHAOS. To heck with the natural order of reality, we'll make our own rules! Better rules! Deem's rules!
>>
No. 947474 ID: 2f4114

Fecund or stone.
Fecund if i had to pick one.

I don't like chaos and cursed because they rely on your luck too much, and your luck is terrible.
Vigorous is just boring to me.
>>
No. 947475 ID: 91ee5f

>>947463
>How to develop dungeon?
Fecund
>>
No. 947476 ID: 0fae41

Fecund or, failing that, chaos would be quite suited for our dungeon's future shadow element. A rejuvenated minion is a minion that can fight back lomger. Grow the denizens! Compress the world! It's the same effect in the end.
>>
No. 947477 ID: 8d4593

Oh man Cursed is really cool, but Fecund is just too good to pass up.

Can we have a unicorn?
>>
No. 947478 ID: feecd8

>>947463
Fecund

Since it'll help denizens develop, this would help Merud develop his skills whenever you help him with his research and when you tutor him in golem making.

Who knows? This might also help that little red slime survive and not die from having an extremely frail existence.
>>
No. 947482 ID: 4e280e

>>947463
Chaos sounds like it has the most potential for FUN, so I'll go with that.
>>
No. 947483 ID: 1774cd

Fecund: So flexible! So many options! Safe, stable development and symbiosis! Imagine getting a low-level rumble of the earth pulse at all times because you have a dungeon ecology! Golems getting ever closer to true life! Poisons! Living traps! Looks fucking awesome!

Stone: Stone is strong but ultimately inflexible. You could create something very impressive but people share information. What will you do when all your traps and their solutions are known?

Cursed: Haven't you had enough curses? Plus, the thing about ordeals is... What doesn't kill you sometimes cripples.

Vigorous: Do you want a gym dungeon because that's how you get gym dungeons

Chaos: Deem, you're already dealing with weird shit all the time you you clearly do not like it. With your luck? A constant stream of bizarre problems. That said, the options it opens up are limitless- but do you really want to live that life? My second choice, after fecund.
>>
No. 947485 ID: c9c450

Fecund or curses. Fecund first. I love the idea of making curses work for you, but it's rough.
>>
No. 947487 ID: b1b4f3

>>947463
Fecund seems like it has a lot of advantages.
Stone looks like it's just... better dungeon design and golems.
Cursed looks pretty cool but its advantages don't seem to be much better despite the disadvantages.
Vigorous... let's not. So boring.
CHAOS CHAOS! Coolness factor through the roof here, though it doesn't give many direct buffs to our denizens. Also it sounds like mostly stuff we can already do via Shadow affinity?

I'll choose Fecund since it has the highest chance of leading to my dream of a horrible poison fungus quagmire section invaders have to endure.
Second choice is Chaos.
>>
No. 947488 ID: 10c408

Stone.

our dungeons themes are earth and shadow, so this is a natural fit. No adventurer, except maybe the impossibly paranoid wizard types, will immediately know that the material composition of our obvious traps (spikes/spears/whatever else) are inherently designed to resist the not so obvious traps. (flaming grease and/or drowning rooms)
>>
No. 947510 ID: a9af05

>>947463
Fecund
>>
No. 947523 ID: 151656

>>947463
Ok, let's go over each one:
Stone: practical, but boring.
Vigorous: less practical, even more boring.
Fecund: now we're talking. As some already said, we have a lot to gain with this, with our special plants and that secret garden thing we have just opened up. Amped healing, complex golems, golemetry-enabled plants? Oh my, yes.
Cursed: this is a trap. On the surface this looks like it might be a powerful option, if we consider our denizens to be automatons. This would destroy morale. Pass.
Chaos: This is pretty damn amazing. The only weakness I can find is that this focuses too much on Deem's individual strength. She's not just an individual, she's a dungeon, so we should play to everyone's strength.
So yeah, Chaos is amazing and if we get to choose two of these it gets my second vote without a second thought, but if it's just one, I choose Fecund.
>>
No. 947526 ID: 86794b

Hmm, see, fecund seems farthest from the aesthetic you've been cultivating, and it seems like aesthetic matters here. So, I'd go with stone, I think. Curses sound cool, but I think the ordeals might, like, your denizens will have a hard time with you, if you're making their life hard, even for their own good.
>>
No. 947527 ID: b1b4f3

I wonder if our denizens would actually appreciate the occasional change of pace that Ordeals provide?
>>
No. 947531 ID: 444af6

>>947463
fecund would be my first choice
and stone my second
>>
No. 947532 ID: 3ce8ff

first option cursed second option chaos
>>
No. 947553 ID: ce39da

Fecund seems like a safe vote. Very stable, nice utility, refreshing aesthetic.

Cursed might be fun, but we should save it for a future advancement once we have a good foundation for our denizens to stand on and there are fewer personal fires that need putting out.
>>
No. 947562 ID: abddbb

>>947463
Stone
All of them seem awesome and there's a lotta people shit-talking Stone but the classics are there for a reason; the aesthetics are top-notch and anything that gives better chances to find and use special materials when we have so much golemetry and an awesome blacksmith on the team seems silly not to take advantage of.
>>
No. 947564 ID: 09e13b

Fecund!

Chaos would be my second choice for the record. It would undoubtably be fascinating, but getting new and bizarre items/abilities/effects at random seems like a good way to end up with an incoherent mishmash of tools that don't work well together and prevent any single focus. Fecund lets what we already have develop better and faster, and if we really want variety it should with some interesting new monsters. Plus, plant golems are amazing, nearly as cool as planing plants inside slimes. (Which we can do! it's a side effect of the healing stuff they can secrete, it just hasn't come up yet.)
>>
No. 947567 ID: 1a6fd4

>>947463
Hmmm. I'm on the fence between Fecund and Stone. I think I prefer Fecund, it feel like a better place to live in for our denizens.
>>
No. 947568 ID: a16fb3

Fecund!
>>
No. 947580 ID: 43b08a

I think Fecund makes the most sense. More interesting golems and a general productivity boost to get our production in gear.

Cursed sounds very fun and thematic, but I think the denizens have had enough curses for now.
>>
No. 947583 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157173920290.png - (31.50KB , 800x600 , make_like_a_tree_and_fruit.png )
947583

>So are any of the bones in here useful for crafting material or not so much?
They're just frogs, lizards and other creatures.

>Considering the bomb flowers and mushrooms, we were already kinda moving into a plant direction. And now we even have an oreberry bush. Wonderful, what a great find.
I would always attempt to make use of the natural resources around my dungeon, this is more a decision of focus.

>What's an oreberry?
It's a cave dwelling bush that grows in stone and slowly produces metallic berries. This one's a copper oreberry. The leaves contain a small amount of tin as well, but that's much more annoying to extract.

>Chaos: Deem, you're already dealing with weird shit all the time you you clearly do not like it. With your luck? A constant stream of bizarre problems. That said, the options it opens up are limitless- but do you really want to live that life?
I'm not a coward. Risk is a necessary element of progress.

>Fecund lets what we already have develop better and faster, and if we really want variety it should with some interesting new monsters. Plus, plant golems are amazing, nearly as cool as planting plants inside slimes. (Which we can do! it's a side effect of the healing stuff they can secrete, it just hasn't come up yet.)
It's true I haven't been making full use of what I have yet. I need to plant the mushrooms, the bomb flower and see what assistance the slimes can give to this. Fecund it is then.

>Hmm, see, fecund seems farthest from the aesthetic you've been cultivating, and it seems like aesthetic matters here.
It isn't something I have pursued much in the past no. But I think a clean break from the past is what I need.

>The dryad form Deem is using right now looks rad. Stone intermingled with plant seems cool.
Perhaps I will retain a little of this look then.

>Who knows? This might also help that little red slime survive and not die from having an extremely frail existence.
You shouldn't let yourself get attached. Merud has finished his prototype and Reisarf has apparently abandoned whatever he was thinking of to bolster that slime back at the dungeon. It will probably die no matter what I do.
>>
No. 947584 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157173937746.png - (25.68KB , 720x640 , dungeon_speedrun_strat.png )
947584

>Since it'll help denizens develop, this would help Merud develop his skills whenever you help him with his research and when you tutor him in golem making.
It doesn't help develop knowledge. It promotes growth. The plant compatibility will be of interest to him at least.

>Fecund since it has the highest chance of leading to my dream of a horrible poison fungus quagmire section invaders have to endure.
While that isn't outside the realm of the possible, were you not listening when I outlined a type of dungeon that specialises in piling afflictions upon invaders?

>Safe, stable development and symbiosis!
>Cursed sounds very fun and thematic, but I think the denizens have had enough curses for now.
People don't go to dungeons for safety. In fact my dungeon has been lacking in danger in many respects thus far!

That has to change! Since I will be able to enlarge my workforce again with this new wealth of gold, I also will have to raise my ambitions for the expansion of my dungeon.

The current layout is functional but extremely basic. The only challenge I through at invaders is my denizens. There's no puzzles, traps, secret areas or obstacles to delay them, save for the pool in the Thaumatorium, which is some swimming at worst.

Invaders enter through the tunnel to the outside, pass through the Golem Totem and into the hall. They can go left into the Forge and discover the locked door to my final guardian or go right and get the key they need from the Thaumatorium.

The rest of the dungeon is inaccessible to them, though I will at least have one new feature with the potion dispenser which can dispense the new Brewery's products into the Thaumatorium.
>>
No. 947585 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157173948192.png - (39.70KB , 800x1150 , map_is_still_one_level.png )
947585

The inaccessible parts of the dungeon for the valley access are substantial and include the new Meditation Room and Treasury. I won't be able to create any more denizen-only areas until I have improved the layout.

I also will be transporting more excavated material out, attract receptive wild monsters to live here and import soil and plants. I need to create a decent thoroughfare. Perhaps even dig a new primary entrance.

I need more large chambers for monster lairs; Alkaline's slimes first of all. Once I have at least one, I can give thought to other structures for the use of my denizens or for me to to begin exerting more control over the wilds around my dungeon. Such rooms have few restrictions in format, which brings me to the primary requirement for now.

The first step is a plan for adding a number of rooms and how to string them together with the older diggings to set the pace for how invaders progress through them. A rough layout at least, with some thoughts of what threats and obstacles they can present to invaders. If necessary, I can make radical alterations to the arrangement and orientation of rooms the next time I cast Delve.
>>
No. 947586 ID: 094652

One tip I can recommend is that ease lowers some peoples' guards while optimizing others'. For instance, if you create shortcuts back to the entrance that can only be opened after the adventurers have progressed through a complex area, that will basically say 'okay, you accomplished something yaaay, now you can just take a few steps and leave', which invites recklessness because it cheapens the effort in cashing out, but also gives your wiser delvers an option to leave while they have the chance.

And there's something else you need to consider: we have an overhead map of the dungeon. Adventurers don't. They have to go through each room one at a time. So I'd suggest a puzzle room that is confusing if you can only remember your past three moves and the area they affect, but utterly simple to solve at an overhead glance.
>>
No. 947587 ID: ad51b8

hmm, the only suggestion I have right now is to use that little crack in the water room? Make some water filled tunnels About ankle to knee deep and have that be the main way to where we'd put Alkaline's boss room. This way we can have the slimes hide under the water for surprise attacks, have sudden pits also hidden by the water and maybe even some hidden underwater tunnels to let our minions sneak behind any adventuring party. Hell depending on how much water we can get going we could make that the maze part of the dungeon and make a serious of water halls and tunnels that lead to dead ends or to progress you need to find one of the hidden underwater tunnels to get to another part of the the water maze.

Other things I can think of is turning the open field area into a boss room and having the way leading up to that one be fulled with puzzles and having all the pathways met up at certain points with natural looking doors to block off certain areas so we can switch the dungeon up to keep it from becoming to same-y and so we can lock some of the large boss rooms if the boss of the day isn't up for a fight or needs time to rest or whatever.
>>
No. 947593 ID: a6e7d9
File 157175109911.png - (87.89KB , 800x1150 , Dungeon5.png )
947593

>>947585
Okay, so the trick here is gonna be that we need the dungeon to work as a dungeon, but we do also want it to be suitable for the day-to-day use of our dungeoneers.

Generally speaking, work/practice rooms should be deeper into the dungeon to give our residents time to prepare when invaders show up. They also shouldn't be on the main thoroughfare - people shouldn't have to navigate magic practice to get around, and Hin shouldn't have to put up with foot traffic through her forge while she's working. Hin's forge specifically is likely to be somewhat loud, so it shouldn't be directly connected to anything that will see frequent use.

Monster rooms are probably best placed closer to the front? They shouldn't need as much prep time when adventurers show up, and it's probably a good idea to make sure they don't have to tromp through too much of the dungeon to get outside to hunt or whatever.

And if we're going with the garden/monster/growth/whatever theme, we really should have some kinda large plant-ey centerpiece to match. Underground trees always look cool, especially if we can get some sunlight in there from a skylight or some kinda magic/mirror shenanigans. And, like, a lot of plants tend to like sunlight, and it'd be convenient to have the option to grow them inside the dungeon.

So the plan would be to break the dungeon up into a front half and back half separated by a puzzle door. The front half houses monster lairs and other ablative rooms that contain clues/hints or necessary elements for the puzzle door. The back half contains the work/practice areas of the dungeon, and two keys to a boss door that requires both to open. Hallways and a central hub will give us space to cleanly expand outward.

That, along with a couple of secret doors linking the front and back, should provide plenty of time to prep when adventurers do arrive, and it should also give everyone a reasonably good chance of being roughly where we'll want them to set up fights in a sensible order.
>>
No. 947596 ID: 3ce8ff

>>947593
i like the layout but i'm not sure how viable it is to move everything like that given how much trouble we have with basic room creation
>>
No. 947598 ID: ce39da

Connecting the larger of the two crags in the hall with the crag at the end of the thaumatorium with a short series of rooms will do wonders for counterbalancing the layout, and will also reduce the MDB (Mandatory Direct Backtracking) considerably. Play around with more natural-looking configurations now that we're aiming for a fecund theme. Perhaps have an underwater shortcut between the middlemost room and the thaumatorium (which will still have the boss key, but perhaps adventurers can only approach from the back unless they find a regular key?)
>>
No. 947604 ID: d27448

>>947593
This is an excellent goal to work towards, I like this layout a lot.
>>
No. 947608 ID: 28edc4

>>947593
that looks nice, but it would mean moving around some rooms which would be.. a challenge.

also, the denizen-only rooms should be completely inaccessible, not just behind a secret door.
and i don't know how much would charcoal like his lair being so close to the action, it would mean he'll lost all his gold every encounter.

hmm.. what else. oh! right, we need to delay them enough at the entrance for everyone to get into position. first priority might be a puzzle door before the first room.
>>
No. 947609 ID: b1b4f3

>>947584
>were you not listening when I outlined a type of dungeon that specialises in piling afflictions upon invaders?
I wanted the afflictions to be specifically delivered via plants and fungi. Would a Cursed dungeon be more closely attuned to that?
Also I can't tell if you/we decided on one of the specializations yet.

>>947593
I don't like this. First off, it requires us to completely restructure the layout rather than reuse already-dug areas. Deem SPECIFICALLY said for us to reuse areas. Secondly, it does not force invaders into a specific path, so we can't predict where they will be going to send our defenders there. Thirdly, we can't rely on secret doors to lockdown the dungeon when invaders are present. They have to be Sealed doors if we want to prevent invaders from going through them.
>>
No. 947610 ID: 1774cd
File 157177282936.png - (2.80KB , 243x203 , minor edit.png )
947610

>>947593
Minor edit. Enhances usability and tactical options.
>>
No. 947631 ID: 0fae41
File 157178858215.png - (88.66KB , 1000x1438 , diggy diggy farm.png )
947631

Evidently, to control the route we can split the key into separate parts and hide them down separate branches. Backtracking will help extend dungeon run time and shouldn't be too annoying at this point.

To assist in the construction of rooms further in, first we'll have to expand the entryway into the golem totem with a hall nearly as wide as the chamber itself. The door should become a double door, too.

Give the left end of the hallway a second branch opposite the forge, and route the boss entrance through that side. This means less thoroughfare through the forge for Hin during construction, and a chance to work in peace. Maybe the key needs to be literally reforged in the forge! You'll need some sort of cast for adventurers to do so in - and this might even come in handy for re-breaking the key. Sure, the key could just snap together, but requiring the forge means another place they have to visit, and you could induce extra complications into the process of pouring the metal.

To start off. you can start several new rooms from the imp excavations: one past the pool for the slime pit (for easy water access), then a mushroom/plant life garden, followed by a monster den for the second path. The den is perhaps a collection of many small burrows. A minion-only door between the slime chamber and the warrens is acceptable, right? So you don't have to swim across every time you want to hug a slime.
Fourth, in front of the boss room, put a hazardous puzzle room which can be turned off at the far end... mostly. You get three times the uses out of a pit trap if they have to jump/swing across every time! The Indiana Jones combination of spinning waist-high blades, a reading comprehension test and a 'leap of faith' (i.e. how minions get across) is a good combo to start.
Finally, put an underwater secret room in the flooded imp excavation. No indication of it above the surface, but below the waterline an easily dislodged grate with treasure behind. Waterproof treasure, preferably.

Building priority: 1) puzzle room, 2) garden, 3) warrens, 4) slime chamber, 5) secret room.
>>
No. 947633 ID: 0fae41

As for the dryad look, it's a nice costume but the look is, shall we say, seasonal. I was thinking you might delegate the look to some minion golems instead. Perhaps treants to tend and guard the gardens?
>>
No. 947634 ID: fadca3

I would like to add that the dungeon exists in 3 dimensions, not just 2, so we could have stairs leading up or down (down would probably he easier) to additional rooms. This might help with space constraints.
Additionally, the slimes have very malleable bodies, so we could have thin passages between rooms that no adventurer could move through, but any slimes could. Like, there could be a trap room that seems empty, but upon being entered locks the exit and has slimes pour in from gaps in the walls.
>>
No. 947639 ID: 09e13b

>>947634
Building on this: would it be possible to use delve to construct a maze of some sort? More specifically, a maze with small openings (Holes? Slits?) in the walls that adventurers couldn't fit through, but slimes COULD? A maze where adventures have to stumble around looking for a path through while the enemy can just pass through walls seems like a really cool setup. Good for hit-and-run tactics and ambushes, and it'll work well with the shadow-slick based slimes we're going to be getting eventually.

>>947631
I like this layout a lot in general, but the garden room you drew looks really cramped to me with those close little rows of planters. Not much room to fight in, and almost certain to have the plants knocked over or damaged. (Of course, it may be that any any open-to-the-public garden we have will have to be for show only because of the risk of it getting trashed.) Maybe the garden could be a semicircular room instead of long thin one, with the straight wall being against the thaumatorium? That could also let us have irrigation channels fed from the thaumatorium pool...
>>
No. 947646 ID: b1b4f3
File 157179949041.png - (77.27KB , 800x1150 , dungeon.png )
947646

Alright here's a layout I made, it's a bit messy but it does what I want to do for now.
The red doors are locked when an adventurer shows up, which forces them to go through the right side of the dungeon. There's combat or a puzzle in the thaumatorium, then after that's dealt with they have to pull a lever that drains the water into the secondary chamber there so they can continue. The path leads to a poison-themed section that tries its best to kill or at least weaken the invaders in preparation for the rest of the dungeon. The initial winding passage is mostly just dumping toxic fumes and spores on the adventurers, there's no monsters or traps just a hostile environment. If they survive that it's assumed they have some manner of protection from breathing toxins. The skull room houses poison-themed monsters that will dunk the invaders into poison pools or inject venom, rather than passively debilitating them. The grid-shaped room is not really a grid. It's a maze that gets set randomly every time invaders show up, by closing doors or moving walls or whatever's convenient for Deem. It's got poison and/or acid in it and various traps, just to see if the invaders can endure a long period of that attack vector.
The following rooms along the path I just put in to fill space and balance out the rest of the dungeon. They can be puzzles or trap rooms or combat challenges.
I tried to have a roomy corridor through the middle for the requested thoroughfare, but access to the poisonous rooms should be restricted just for the comfort of our denizens. Also, the golem totem room is enlarged so it's easier to move through.
>>
No. 947648 ID: b1b4f3

>>947646
Oh and I moved the boss chamber up closer to the valley to make room. Hin's forge should still have a smoke outlet, but it could instead outlet towards the front entrance instead of the rear...
Also I didn't put many doors in, those need to be added.

Oops, ignore the green lock. I thought about having two keys but it isn't needed with this layout.
>>
No. 947669 ID: 0fae41

>>947639
A sort of garden ampitheater could almost be a kind of miniboss chamber. Given that a specific structure exists to fuel such rooms, perhaps that structure would also end up useful for feeding the flora in the room.
>>
No. 947692 ID: ce39da

>>947631
On a general level, this is exactly the kind of addition I was thinking of to snap two of the loose crags together. We could also turn the lesser crag in the hall into a door to a more robust entrance, while the underwater crag in the Thaumatorium could be turned into an underwater entrance to a secret room with a bonus treasure hidden behind a bunch of obscuring plants (two layers of hiddenness as the puzzle).

Personally, the other two illustrated layouts have too many connecting hallways; that usually amounts to dead space in a dungeon.
>>
No. 947715 ID: 0fae41
File 157186576581.png - (67.55KB , 1001x707 , What_if_it_was_rounder.png )
947715

>>947639
>>947692
Totally didn't just forget hallways were a thing you could build, no sir.
Hallways aren't allways dead space - they're a great place to put traps where adventurers won't have much space to move around! A hall in front of the monster den could be filled with the typical arrow holes, a rolling boulder, or even a spring trap that throws them forward - they'll never see that coming!
If we dig up, it would also be a good place to put our pancake golem as a falling trap when he is retired in favor of a less improvised door.
>>
No. 947761 ID: 2eba1a

Im not really a layout design person so i'll leave that to the ones that are, but I have thought of some room features that might be useful:
-Now that Alkaline has started birthing slimes, maybe we can start adding small secret tunnels connecting some rooms, the kind only the slimes can really get through so they can quickly move from room to room, and maybe set up ambushes?
-if we're going to start doing plant stuff in earnest, maybe we should see about getting some useful moss to grow in the dungeon, maybe some algae for the water sections. I hear the latter is apparently good for food?
-Someone else mentioned utilizing the hallways for puzzle and traps, which I think is a good idea. Theres no real reason they have have to be straight shots between rooms either. Linking some hallways into other hallways to complicate the circuit through the dungeon for first timers might be a simple way to work the next construction into a pseudo puzzle, and we can add more stuff to them later, like minor keys for doors in the hallways and give them to the minions, the purpose of which is just to create shortcuts through the rooms. Really Dark Souls it up. Halls also seem to be much easier and faster to make then rooms as well.
-on a minor aesthetic note, now that we dont have the bear to worry about, Deem should be able to get some lumber, at leat someof it quality enough to get some wood floors or paneling for the denizen section of the dungeon. Polished stone is fine and all, but im sure some of the minions would like a more home-y look to the living space. Might be warmer too, but magic might be taking care of that.
>>
No. 947789 ID: 09e13b

>>947715
Nice! That's more or less what I was thinking, thank you for drawing it. ^^ Is there a reason the slime room is a heart now, or was it just a way yo make it bigger? (I'm probably going to vote for the slime room to be a maze if it's an option, but you don't specify what's in there so it works regardless.)

>>947761
Regarding sneaky slime tunnels: These would be really great to have, but I'm not entirely sure how we're supposed to build them. I guess we could make a very, very small golem for the express purpose of building tiny tunnels, but otherwise I suspect we'll only be able to create them via Delve, not my ordinary mining.
Regarding moss: That would be a really cool look! Also, the magic eating mushrooms glow, right? Glowing mushrooms would be a nice addition to the aesthetic. I know you have to raise them in a certain way for them to be useful, but there's no reason we can't plant a few extra ones around just for decoration right? (I'm not sure about algae in the pool, though, it might come off as just dirty rather than organic. Maybe Lilly pads?)
>>
No. 947791 ID: 977456

>>947789
Heart? That is clearly a tactical funnel, in which the challengers enter into a cramped space while the slimes have open terrain from which to engage unhindered. It most assuredly isn't a symbol of maternal feelings from a Dungeon towards a clearly terrifying monarch of monsters.
>>
No. 947794 ID: 91ee5f

Can we at least agree on not leaving Deem’s heart in the boss room? A stray attack could hit it and damage it further!

And if the adventurers manage to defeat out boss, they might think Deem’s heart is part of the treasure they’re allowed to take and try to take it!
>>
No. 947795 ID: 977456

>>947794
What? No! Deem needs to be there to enjoy witness the final battle! And glare at the thieving thieves honour their victory. What sort of ignorant fool could fail to recognise the majesty and sanctity of such a noble overseer of The Labyrinth Game?
>>
No. 947800 ID: 8d23f0

>>947463
Chaos seems the best for fighting Sky eventually
>>
No. 947818 ID: 10c408

>>947794
if it was that easy to break, then it would have most likely been destroyed during the millennia of strife that Deem slept through.

That she doesn't exactly know her own point of origin or the exact composition of the dungeon heart is worrying, but not nearly as bad as the fact that someone or something using sky power damaged her heart and cursed her to sleep forever.
>>
No. 947828 ID: 12b116

>>947583
Don't forget to make an extra chamber to store that enormous ass you've accumulated.
>>
No. 947834 ID: 977456

>>947828 You know, she really ought to look into a proper system for waste expulsion. Industries usually produce useless byproducts, experiments and curses gone awry need holding facilities, and let's not forget how she keeps gorging on Earth-Pulse, overpressurising on mana, then expelling a cloud of monsters to stink up the mountain. What sort of rooms control wild spawns, and can overall dungeon structure affect such?
>>
No. 947837 ID: 094652

>>947834
How about combining a 'collapsing lair' trap with waste disposal? Rooms in the shortest path to the exit will periodically open to gaping holes... that are actually mulching rooms for your party to dump all their garbage in, where it is quickly processed by tectonic plate shifts or molten lava or simple block pressing.

Yes, the self-destructing dungeon trope is utterly cliche, but it works well in video games. Successful adventurers have to choose between concentrating their efforts towards escaping with stragglers left behind, or keeping everyone alive at the risk of losing it all in the final stretch. And since we know that only a portion of the rooms are actually self-collapsing, we can set up ambushes in further rooms while the adventurers are escaping through a single predetermined short path!
>>
No. 947840 ID: 09e13b

>>947837
We do have to, you know, live there afterward. Anything we break we need to put back together, and considering the dungeon is also a shared living space...
>>
No. 947868 ID: 8d4593

Have we actually locked in a direction yet? Because only one of us mentioned our elements and how they might interact when we were discussing it.

Fecund is practical and Cursed is cool, but when considering the Synergistic effects Chaos could have on an Earth/Shadow element dungeon, I think we can make a stronger case for it, particularly in dungeon layout.

It sounds to me like the kind of combo that could allow looping puzzle hallways, doors that lead to different places for different people, endless staircases, illusory passages, countless traps, and on the fly room swapping. Imagine if the dungeon was totally normal for our denizens but a scooby-doo style "Funhouse" for invaders. Numbers would mean nothing, and by the time they find a fight they'd be exhausted, and alone.
>>
No. 947871 ID: a9af05

>>947868
You're a little late for that. Deem has already decided on Fecund.

Right now we're trying to make a decision on how we should arrange dungeon's layout.
>>
No. 947880 ID: 977456

Thought: I would love to see slimes scurrying around plants, but... I think people use fire against slimes. Using fire against our farm would be unfortunate, even if Deem can miraculously repair it afterwards. Finally, I am not sure how much sensitivity Deem's body has, but I imagine that a fireball hitting a cute little array of bomb plants all ready to bloom might... give her indigestion. Although it could be that her body is completely numb. I haven't heard anything about going to town on her with pickaxes to dig new corridors being a thing that stimulates any of her nerve-equivalents.

So keep the farm and slimes separate?
>>
No. 947884 ID: 09e13b

>>947880
Plants can be planted inside slimes, according to the original description of one of Alkaline's abilities. I think part of letting the slimes 'help out' is doing stuff like putting a bomb flower inside a slim to give it explosive ammo and/or let protect the plant from adventurers.

...Also, would fire be useful against slimes? I'm no expert, but aren't they mostly made of water? It seems like they'd be resistant if anything.
>>
No. 947887 ID: a29e83

>>947593
i vote this with the edit adding more doors
>>
No. 947914 ID: 2eba1a

>>947887
I agree, as long as we also add more locks and keys. They dont even have to be magical, or particularly complex, just make them enough so that any party without a rogue cant just power through them without a lot of work, and hopefully expending some energy.
Also, Door Golem is an example for us all. Make one as a split door, give em some teeth, and theres a tricky trap ready to chomp down when they least expect it.

>>947794
You know, thinking about this, if we dont move the Heart out of that room, can we not build around it? As in, build it into a more protected feature of the room? For instance, building a big impressive looking pillar around it. I think the heart gives of some light, so if we make some apertures and have the heart be high up the pillar, the glow should coe through and it will seem like just a cool feature of the dungeon to any adventurers. Or we could put it behind some kind of motif on one of the walls with some kind of opening only Deem can reliably operate.
Basically, just thinking if we build a protective feature the right way and make it fit in with the boss room, maybe adventurers wont even think twice to look for it/at it.
>>
No. 947954 ID: 09e13b

>>947914
If I recall correctly, the actual material of the Heart is almost indestructible. That's why having a mysterious chunk knocked out of it is so weird. The main risk is it getting knocked off/out of its mounting, since the heart getting disconnected from the dungeon is Extremely Bad for Deem's health. So really we'd want to half embed it in something, or maybe just invest in sturdy stone or metal clamps to hold it in place.

I suspect that trying to damage the Heart of a dungeon is a pretty severe breach of the rules of the Dungeon Game, though.
>>
No. 947957 ID: 977456

Deem has always maintained that invaders will be sufficiently honourable that they wouldn't steal a lady's heart. That said, security options exist.
An arm thrusting from the ground, clutching Deem's heart would be evocative, but imply that Deem is being held by the dungeon, instead of the reverse. More accurately it would be Deem handling herself, but that wouldn't be the obvious message.
Hanging from the roof in a lacy tea strainer would be fun, but would involve a vulnerable chain and less contact with Earth.
A stalagmite and stalactite meeting would be symbolic, but lot elegant, and Deem... could be compared to a classy lady.
Statuary of fortresses, cultists, houses... all too culturally human...
Crystals are nice! It could be really pretty to have a big crystal (quartz should be easy enough to generate?) with a transparent polish and light refracting from pure mana flowing through some channels...
But this is all beside the point. Being confined like that would be icky, and invaders would never dare to take a giant magical gem, and Deem can probably resist quite a lot of force once she's aestablished and has a good grip on The Earth Pulse.
>>
No. 948043 ID: 2eba1a

>>947957
>>invaders would never dare to take a giant magical gem
I somehow highly doubt this assertion.
Anyway, I think it would only confining if we do it some way that Deem herself couldnt get it out whenever she wants. It should be pretty easy to avoid that and then it would be more like a comfortable cuddle, but with like, rocks and stuff!
>>
No. 948091 ID: 2adab5

>Structure to build the heart into
Sculpt a big stone eye into the ceiling with the heart as the center. At the end of the boss fight the eye closes, dramatically signifying the fight is over while also making the heart more secure. There is a potential issue of adventurers trying to shoot it, but the heart is very durable so the problem is more stealing than attacking.
>>
No. 948114 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157226891897.png - (74.98KB , 800x1150 , fancy_new_dungeon.png )
948114

A number of details to refine but this should only need a single Delve to relocate the Forge, Thaumatorium and Brewery, and be usable at various stages of its excavation. I can repurpose my current Heart Chamber and move my Heart deeper inside once the chance arises. I will need to move the Treasury again though.

Blue for normal doors, red for doors that will remain sealed during an invasion and the rest tied to keys.

>The plan would be to break the dungeon up into a front half and back half separated by a puzzle door. The front half houses monster lairs and other ablative rooms that contain clues/hints or necessary elements for the puzzle door. The back half contains the work/practice areas of the dungeon.
Sensible to slow down an invader and herd everyone else to where they need to be.

Currently I think I will put a single key in the new south-east room set aside to be the lair for Alkaline and her slimes. More complexity can be added to the front half of the dungeon once the new arrangements are settled.

>And if we're going with the garden/monster/growth/whatever theme, we really should have some kinda large plant-ey centerpiece to match.
I'll put that in as a hub for the back half of the dungeon. I will need to find some interesting plants for it.

>Play around with more natural-looking configurations now that we're aiming for a fecund theme.
Perhaps a more natural look for the slime pit and pencil in a bathing room with a set of natural pools to replace the somewhat exposed current baths - its adjacency to the alchemical lab and the slime pit will end up being appreciated I'm sure.

>Additionally, the slimes have very malleable bodies, so we could have thin passages between rooms that no adventurer could move through, but any slimes could. Like, there could be a trap room that seems empty, but upon being entered locks the exit and has slimes pour in from gaps in the walls.
I'll trial it in the slime pit by having a number of puddles and a simple maze-like structure with narrow openings for them to hide in. I think between the hallway and the garden I might try some grates at the ceiling level to give them an unexpected way to move between the rooms.

>Connecting the larger of the two crags in the hall with the crag at the end of the thaumatorium with a short series of rooms will do wonders for counterbalancing the layout, and will also reduce the MDB (Mandatory Direct Backtracking) considerably.
I think this will end up being the last of the new diggings so I'll leave the plan vague for now, one unspecified large room and one space for a mushroom garden - given its isolation I might supplement the mushrooms I've gotten off Izakikk with more aggressive varieties. There's a one-way door to return adventurers to the central garden once they have the key to the final guardian.

>To control the route we can split the key into separate parts and hide them down separate branches. Backtracking will help extend dungeon run time and shouldn't be too annoying at this point.
I've only put in single keys but once the front and west wing get expanded on, that can be put into place.
>>
No. 948115 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157226901479.png - (46.76KB , 800x600 , fresh_golem.png )
948115

It's our last night here in the wild. We're getting an early start in the morning.

The bear pelt and other choice bits have been packed, Belphe filled with bear blood, the slimes stuffed full of bear meat and the rest buried.

While I have a moment to myself I've decided to make a new golem out of the surplus clay I brought. With this newfound gold we'll be wanting to scale up the workforce again.

>Don't forget to make an extra chamber to store that enormous ass you've accumulated.
The potion's worn off but I'll have plenty of space should the need arise.

>If we're going to start doing plant stuff in earnest, maybe we should see about getting some useful moss to grow in the dungeon, maybe some algae for the water sections. I hear the latter is apparently good for food?
I'll need some time to make space but I will need to start keeping more of an eye out for useful plants.

>On a minor aesthetic note, now that we don't have the bear to worry about, Deem should be able to get some lumber, at least some of it quality enough to get some wood floors or panelling for the denizen section of the dungeon. Polished stone is fine and all, but I'm sure some of the minions would like a more home-y look to the living space.
Variety would be good at the very least, yes. I'll need to get a party of lumberjacks together at some point.

>Regarding sneaky slime tunnels: These would be really great to have, but I'm not entirely sure how we're supposed to build them. I guess we could make a very, very small golem for the express purpose of building tiny tunnels.
Golems will do it. I'd be wary about overusing them though, adventurers can be very tricky sorts.

>You know, she really ought to look into a proper system for waste expulsion. Industries usually produce useless byproducts, experiments and curses gone awry need holding facilities, and let's not forget how she keeps gorging on Earth-Pulse, overpressurising on mana, then expelling a cloud of monsters to stink up the mountain. What sort of rooms control wild spawns, and can overall dungeon structure affect such?
I'll soon have the chance to start building structures for geomancy. That will allow me to alter and re-arrange the nearby terrain and affect what sort of monsters spawn in this region.

As for alchemy, I'll simply have a small sewer run under the slime pit that drains to the outside for now.
>>
No. 948116 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157226907028.png - (21.70KB , 800x600 , weird_dog_happy_to_see_you.png )
948116

The trip home is uneventful - Moriko and I do harass the frogs one last time while waiting for the golems to pack up the camp but there's less trouble slipping away this time.

>If I recall correctly, the actual material of the Heart is almost indestructible.
That's correct, as long as it contains mana it is exceedingly difficult to damage.

>If we don't move the Heart out of that room, can we not build around it? As in, build it into a more protected feature of the room? For instance, building a big impressive looking pillar around it.
Yes, I will want to eventually build a better scaffold for my Heart as the dungeon develops anyway.

>Deem has always maintained that invaders will be sufficiently honourable that they wouldn't steal a lady's heart.
They could try, but they would die.

We come in sight of my dungeon and Chakarchelou is the first of my denizens that we see. He gambols out with dog-like enthusiasm. I hope Merud hasn't been teaching him anything else weird while I wasn't watching.

Between the adventurer pair, the bear hoard and other minor income form digging and other monsters, I have 2,493G. Perhaps I should share some of my windfall with Chakarchelou? His current hoard is only a little over 100G and I thought the Covetous Ring would need at least twice that to start showing any real effect.

I need to keep at least 2,000G to reinforce my Heart and will want some money set aside for the next trip into town. I am expecting 100G from Liana when I give her the repaired Fixity Bangle and I suppose I might be able to sell other items or otherwise raise money while in town.
>>
No. 948120 ID: c9c450

Give Char 150 right now as a present. You can give him more later, maybe, if you have change after the shopping trip.
>>
No. 948122 ID: 33056f

Give Chak another 200 gold and chin scratches, each.
Reabsorb your proxy golem into your main golem and see how the dungeon has fared in your wanderings.
>>
No. 948123 ID: 8d4593

Give Chak 143 gold to even the amount to a nice even number.
>>
No. 948124 ID: 3ce8ff

give him 193 and make a habit of rounding down to even 100s when you think about it to give to Chakarchelou so he has somewhat consistent income that is still solidly less than ours
>>
No. 948132 ID: 91ee5f

>>948116
>We come in sight of my dungeon and Chakarchelou is the first of my denizens that we see. He gambols out with dog-like enthusiasm. I hope Merud hasn't been teaching him anything else weird while I wasn't watching.
I think he’s always been like that, you’ve just never noticed until now.

Or he’s only happy to see you because he smells all the gold you’re carrying and is wanting you to give him some.

>Perhaps I should share some of my windfall with Chakarchelou? His current hoard is only a little over 100G and I thought the Covetous Ring would need at least twice that to start showing any real effect.
Well if he needs at least 200G, then go ahead and give him enough gold so that he has at least 200G.
>>
No. 948136 ID: ce39da

>>948124
I agree with this.

>>948114
Ooooh, this layout is deliciously elegant. The only urgent modification I'd make to this plan would be to reverse the pathing in the east wing by swapping the one-way door to the thaumatorium's southwest exit instead of the garden's northeast - the "front" and "back" of this room are a matter of perspective in my opinion. It'd be much easier to force them into a fight if the only other exits are across the room, and the thaumatorium feels like a much better miniboss room to place the boss key in. The reason I suggest the southwest door of the thaumatorium instead of the west exit of the middle-most mystery room after it is to give the delvers more initial options in the beginning; they go east from the garden hall, encounter a sealed door after clearing the room's main challenge, and wonder about what they'll do to end up coming at it from the other side. Also, if they clear the aforementioned room first, they might find that minor enemies have filled the vacuum upon their returning visit.

Finally, I have a suggestion for what this mystery room in question even is: While a Delve surge can definitely move the thaumatorium, I doubt one can simply move a void scar of darkness quite so easily, so I propose we leave it in its current geographic position, which places it very close to the center of this room; it will be "that room with the void scar."
>>
No. 948153 ID: b1b4f3

>>948116
Give Chakarchelou at least 150 gold.

Hey, what do you think would happen if we gave Worst Slime some raw mana? Less risky, try giving it some of Alkaline's slime. If we can't turn it into an Active Curse Elemental or something, we can at least try to turn it into more of a regular, stable slime.
>>
No. 948159 ID: 10c408

Give chak 75 gold now, and then another 75 gold later if he's done anything to warrant it. (it'd be a shame to have chak end up the same way as the dragon who never lost)
>>
No. 948166 ID: 977456

>>948124 +1
That layout seems good for now, but I worry longterm that hauling things from the entrance to the living regions will e a chore.

Check if any of the slimes found any gold. I expect they are prone to collecting shinies, so you never know.
Having some lights in the slime area might also be fun. I imagine that young slimes would get a great deal of enjoyment from standing on glowing lights to change their appearance.

Try not to let Char chew off too much of your horns.
>>
No. 948177 ID: a9af05

>>948116
Give Chak 193G.
>>
No. 948179 ID: 12b116

Give him 193g to make it an even number. Are you going to keep those sticks stuck in your head ?
>>
No. 948183 ID: 0a7f21

That's what happens when you choose a plant themed dungeon. Permanent horns.
>>
No. 948225 ID: 2eba1a

>>948183
We should have known Deem was getting horny.
It explains a lot about her behavior lately.
>>
No. 948232 ID: d6afc2

>>948116
In favor for the 193G and using Chars hoard to even our numbers.
>>
No. 948326 ID: 2adab5

>They could try, but they would die.
Uh, is your heart something they would be forced to leave behind when zipping directly back to one of those fancy new Revive Fountains?
>>
No. 948331 ID: 8d4593

>>948326
No the dungeon game is just that: a game. There are rules that both The dungeon and the players follow.
If you break the rules (Go into restricted areas, attack the dungeon core ect.), the dungeon can break them as well. I don't know how many adventurers could survive being DELVEd under thousands of tonnes of stone.
>>
No. 948335 ID: 09e13b

>>948114
Maybe this is standard practice for a larger dungeon, but it seems a bit odd the the former boss room and the hallway above it are entirely skippable under this design. Obviously its going to depend what we put in there, but not knowing if such a major feature will come up in invasions seems like a headache from a planning perspective. Possibly we could put a third key in there, and require both it and the one from the mushroom farm to access the final room? Or we could just put something there the adventurers would have some other incentive to visit, like one of those in-dungeon-potion-shops.

...Also, it currently looks like the resurrection room will be accessible to adventurers. Is it meant to be like that?
>>
No. 948381 ID: 977456

>>948331 Deem is an old hand and knows everything about The Labyrinth Game... of a couple of millennia back. She really ought to send someone in to spy on The Guild...
>>
No. 948410 ID: c3b417

>>948381
We don't have anyone capable of that.

They also don't know about us just yet and we also don't know how they'd respond to someone encroaching on their monopoly.
>>
No. 948465 ID: 2adab5

>I don't know how many adventurers could survive being DELVEd under thousands of tonnes of stone.
That's missing the point. If they die, the fountain (not us, and using new techniques since Deem's time) revive-teleports them back to town. If they die while holding our heart, either it is protected from teleportation or it goes with them as they instantly leave our domain.
>>
No. 948477 ID: 33056f

>>948465
If you need a refresher, the less time an adventurer has had an item the more likely it is not to follow them back to the fountain. You can't simply grab what you want then death teleport back to town.
>>
No. 948479 ID: 2adab5

>>948477
I had forgotten that part; thanks
>>
No. 948732 ID: 0fae41

Triple that hoard so we start seeing some results from cursing him with dragon's greed.
You wanted to send an expedition to an old abandoned dungeon nearby, right? Why don't you raise funds in town by accepting a quest to go beat up monsters there! Never do something for free you could get paid to do.
Can Alkaline reclaim the extra mass from her gluttonous goons that she didn't originally delegate to them? Portable Alkaline is good for travel, but now it's time for her to help carve out her kingdom.
>>
No. 950625 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157518318477.png - (26.98KB , 800x500 , pet_that_weird_dog.png )
950625

>Give him 193 and make a habit of rounding down to even 100s when you think about it to give to Chakarchelou
>Triple that hoard so we start seeing some results from cursing him with dragon's greed.
Yes, I want to see results. To let him kindle his tiny flame of draconic heritage much as I will be able to refresh my Heart with this new bounty of gold. Even though it's a not insignificant chunk of my hoard, I bequeath the 193G to him.

>Reabsorb your proxy golem into your main golem and see how the dungeon has fared in your wanderings.
I have no need to enlarge my golem body at the moment. That golem simulcrum I created is just a puppet. There's nothing to be absorbed.

>Are you going to keep those sticks stuck in your head ?
You don't like my headdress?

>That's what happens when you choose a plant themed dungeon. Permanent horns.
>We should have known Deem was getting horny.
>It explains a lot about her behaviour lately.
It's purely cosmetic!

>I think he’s always been like that, you’ve just never noticed until now.
>Or he’s only happy to see you because he smells all the gold you’re carrying and is wanting you to give him some.
There are many things I can give to Chakarchelou and he is quite happily staying after I tell him about the new gold he'll be receiving and scratch his chin.

>You wanted to send an expedition to an old abandoned dungeon nearby, right? Why don't you raise funds in town by accepting a quest to go beat up monsters there! Never do something for free you could get paid to do.
It was abandoned decades ago and seems to be fairly self contained. Still I might see if there's any interest in the town when I next visit there. It's only a week away.

>Deem is an old hand and knows everything about The Labyrinth Game... of a couple of millennia back. She really ought to send someone in to spy on The Guild...
I don't think they'd have much to teach me for such a risk. It would take years to reach any sort of senior rank and I'm not so awash in denizens that I can afford to send one off on such a task. I need to learn more about them eventually but building up my own dungeon is more important right now.
>>
No. 950626 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157518325989.png - (28.25KB , 800x550 , unpacking_time.png )
950626

>While a Delve surge can definitely move the Thaumatorium, I doubt one can simply move a void scar of darkness quite so easily
It's part of the room why wouldn't I be able to move it?

>I propose we leave it in its current geographic position, which places it very close to the center of this room; it will be "that room with the void scar."
I will consider it when it comes time to do that.

>That layout seems good for now, but I worry long-term that hauling things from the entrance to the living regions will be a chore.
That's why I have golems to do it and put an emphasis on improving the thoroughfare over time.

>Maybe this is standard practice for a larger dungeon, but it seems a bit odd the the former boss room and the hallway above it are entirely skippable under this design.
>...Also, it currently looks like the resurrection room will be accessible to adventurers. Is it meant to be like that?
Yes I will need to finalise how I'd use the west wing and no the Resurrection Matrix would not be accessible.

>Ooooh, this layout is deliciously elegant. The only urgent modification I'd make to this plan would be to reverse the pathing in the east wing by swapping the one-way door to the thaumatorium's southwest exit instead of the garden's northeast - the "front" and "back" of this room are a matter of perspective in my opinion.
Perhaps, I'll finalise it when it comes time to Delve.

>Can Alkaline reclaim the extra mass from her gluttonous goons that she didn't originally delegate to them? Portable Alkaline is good for travel, but now it's time for her to help carve out her kingdom.
Her delegation still needs some refinement.

>Hey, what do you think would happen if we gave Worst Slime some raw mana? Less risky, try giving it some of Alkaline's slime.
It would most likely explode into a mass of curses. This kills the slime.

We move our beat hunt supplies and spoils into my dungeon. There's less talk than I thought. Merud is at a sensitive stage in his golem project and it takes more time than I expected to get Alkaline's throng of slimes settled in as I have no lair ready to entice them into. We came in late in the afternoon. Soon Reisarf starts cooking and Hin is attempting to help or perhaps just steal some of the meal under preparation. Stargazer is mostly fending her off.

I am becoming less communicative; the gold is on my mind. It's stowed in my treasury, I can feel the earth-pulse slowly rising as the new treasure becomes a part of this place.
>>
No. 950627 ID: 7ebbf9
File 157518341338.png - (61.11KB , 750x600 , pearls_before_swine.png )
950627

My consciousness slows, dreamlike, as I let the thrum of the earth-pulse wash over me. I need to congeal and clarify my experiences into a new layer over the irreducible husk of my self.

My crystallised Heart creeps outward as I pore over what has happened since my reawakening. From the first of my new denizens, Chakarchelou now napping on his new bounty in the Forge to the newest slimes my little slime princess has budded. My time in town, exploring a little of this strange new world and recruiting famuli to my side. Getting to know them better, a not entirely pain free process: troubles with Hin, Moriko's troubled past, arguments with Merud and working on Reisarf and Stargazer's independence. We have had more than a few setbacks but slowly climbed onward. Invasions by adventurers, imps and one belligerent cauldron that I compelled to my side.

From memories and the templates of those around me I can open my Heart's scarred exterior and extend out new mana channels to recreate lost patterns. I am a shadow of what I should be, but this is one step closer.

I have chosen to be fecund this time, a dungeon rich in life. To nurture, mould and restructure the denizens within me and, yes, my invaders too. To prepare and equip them to find what they seek, then loose them into the world like arrows to seek their targets. They might someday shoot the Moon from the sky, should they desire it. To begin that work, I will set a mark on one of the chambers I have already created.

Brewery - Potent Residue: Potions can be reprocessed to give denizens a weaker but permanent version of a potion's effect by repeated exposure. A fairly weak but low effort way to tailor my monsters and denizens into different roles and to be more suitable for the dungeon I wish to present.
Forge - Curio Bud: Whenever a stronger magic item is created, a weaker item with some related attributes will be created. Somewhat unreliable as it's difficult to predict how useful the item generated will be but at worst it's a source of additional raw materials and study.
Golem Totem - Green Thumb: The dungeon's golems have an affinity for tending plants. Monsters have reduced aggression towards them. Simple but useful, especially if I intend to be sending golems outside once I have some options to extend their range.
Heart Chamber - Verdant Heart: Plants in the Heart Chamber have a chance to spontaneously transform into monsters. This essentially makes it easier to stock up on plant-based monsters for the dungeon and I may be fortunate if I try to plant rarer varieties there.
Thaumatorium - Spell Sprout: Plants raised in the Thaumatorium start to exhibit some magical traits based off the types of magic frequently used there. Essentially a shortcut to generate magical materials and potentially useful effects. However currently I only have have Merud and Reisarf as spellcasters plus potentially reinforcement magic from my golem body.
Treasury - Ornamentalist: The dungeon's denizens are adorned as treasures. They are easier for me to use magic on and have a higher likelihood to likely to develop equipment and treasure based skills. It also means a higher mana generation from invaders but I'm likely to lose some of the treasure they were carrying.
>>
No. 950628 ID: 679a6d

Ornamentalist's potential loss of treasure seems like too much of a downside, particularly this early in the dungeon's life span.

If we had Izakikk the Alchemist then Spell Sprout or Green Thumb would be phenomenal, though either could still be useful for the Cauldron.

Potent Residue could be useful, but I'm sure it'll be a popular choice thanks to getting certain, ah, "side effects" made more permanent.

Curio Bud would be great for generating useful equipment, both for our dungeoneers and as loot for delvers.

Verdant Heart is would be amazing to add a bit more variety to the monster selection, though how capable they'd be might limit the usefulness.

Among the choices, I'd say either Curio Bud, Verdant Heart, or Potent Residue.
>>
No. 950629 ID: 77e37e

Potent Residue, of course.
>>
No. 950631 ID: 977456

Curio Bud Hin needs some love, random items sound like a fun surprise, and it could get really potent once you upgrade the forge a bit. But mostly this is a fun option.
Verdant Heart is my second preference for similar reasons, and I feel as though plant monsters are quite a distinct challenge, freed from the torso-dynamic, so getting some weird ones could be exciting.

Residue would be similar, but I feel as though keeping track of all the variants would be annoying. The bud has the same issue with item flood, but is more concentrated and specific.
SS would be amazing for alchemy, which I would love to see Alkaline making use of...
Ornamentalist and thumbs sound shiny, but a bit situational or awkward.
>>
No. 950632 ID: 2aa5f0

Curio Bud or Verdant Heart.

Feel those would be the most helpful right now.
>>
No. 950633 ID: b1b4f3

>>950627
Verdant Heart. Because we don't have a monster tamer, and this is a good source of monsters. Plus we can try splicing plants together to aim for more advanced monsters!
>>
No. 950635 ID: e6f1ef

Verdant heart appeals to me both thematically and practically. Everything grows and blooms in your presence! Makes your heart chamber swagalicious! A renewable supply of semicustomizable minions!
>>
No. 950637 ID: 10c408

Hokay, so going in no particularly order:

Ornamentalist: We're not entirely bountiful with non-gold to part with, so this is just out. Adventurers are part sticky fingers by nature, so anything good enough that they'd want enough to keep is, at this point in time, a slight pain to reacquire if they still have it after being 'killed'

Greenthumb just doesn't sound as useful as the others. it'd tie up our workforce, we wouldn't have an excuse to rampantly abuse the plant tending for an almost endless variety of reasons (bomb plant tending could be a punishment, for instance) and any really aggressive monster close enough to our dungeon is going to get found out and either tamed/hunted. Undoubtedly it'd be kinda useful later but not right now.

Verdant heart is exclusive to plants and while we do have some, we haven't gotten Izakikk to sign on with us. (We should check up on this, see if the unfortunate amateur hour seance caused him to shun us forever.)

Potent residue would be amazing if we had more monsters to work with. Unfortunately we don't. And alkaline's specialization into group fighting slimes kind of prohibits the usage of potent residue as we'd have to seriously ramp up the brewery to compensate for the numbers of slimes we'd need potions for, so that's out.

Spell sprout is pretty damn good since we're undoubtly going to see more than a few mages among the adventuring parties that are going to try their luck. it would be my pick but.

Curio bud has my vote. It's literally free, though random, magical stuff that we can do almost anything with and the sooner it's effect is available, the bigger the pile of stuff we can work with will be. The possibilities are endless and I can't wait.
>>
No. 950642 ID: 9caba2

>>950627
My heart decrees that Potent Residue will be the most useful for us, not necessarily for combat, but more overall utility and flexibility. Also permanent passive buffs.

On a basic level, a low level permanent satiety potion could presumably lower someone's food intake greatly if they already don't see food as much more than a means of fulfilling their body's needs, and I think at least one of our denizens wouldn't mind a low-level version of the side effects either.

And who knows what sort of potions we might whip up in the future to use with this.
>>
No. 950644 ID: 56076d

>>950627
I'm rather in favor of the Green Thumb, myself.
>>
No. 950645 ID: 679a6d

Come to think of it if we did get Potent Residue a permanent satiation potion effect could get Kallia to sign on.
>>
No. 950650 ID: ce39da

At this early stage, we need “economy” and “strong theming.” Curio-Bud is ideal for the former, and Verdant Heart is vital for the other.

Both of these need to be obtained as soon as possible, but which to pick first, considering they’re currently tied (and with the brew no less)...

Solidifying our aesthetic is going to be important, but there are ways we can bridge that without plant monsters for now, and more important is having a more steady and expendable supply of stuff to actually give successful adventurers; my vote’s for Curio-Bud.
>>
No. 950654 ID: fb7954

Verdant heart! Plant orebushes, get robots!

Okay, I know it won't be that simple. But it sounds fun, and new minions for semi-free is fantastic!
>>
No. 950655 ID: 0fae41

Ornamentalist. I'm not sure what treasure based skills entails (abilities powered by spending gold? Multiplying the loot from fallen adventurers?) but being able to cast magic on them more easily should mean more impressive reinforcement spells. And speaking of more impressive, festooning your denizens in fancy new clothes will make them the talk of the tavern for adventurers with an eye for fashion! The equipment-based abilities as well could mean they adapt to the role they are equipped for better, still, at best it is an additional option to whatever interesting abilities they were already going to develop.
>>
No. 950661 ID: 3ce8ff

Brewery - Potent Residue
I like permanent bonuses and many small bonuses can add up to surprisingly fast
also i hope we can focus this new layer on fixing up our exposed mana channels so we have fewer problems using magic
>>
No. 950669 ID: 8d4593

Potent Residue, with Spell Sprout as a close second.
Potent Residue = Permanent Growth, and small changes means your more human denizens will be more willing to accept them. Mild utility aside, this creates small but tangible benefits that will remind your denizens of why they're here. The result is higher moral.

Spell sprout is my second because the Thaumatorium seems like the perfect spot for extended mage battles. Adventurers will burn all sorts of magic in there, while Reisarf and Stargazer's magic is top tier. Good incidental materials would be found after invasions and the typical materials found, though limited in variety would be quite useful.

Curio Bud is neat but I don't see the point.
A magic item is a tool that serves a specific purpose. Occasionally getting an extra-but-crappier version of whatever we make would probably just be something to sell. If we're making weapons then we could give the inferior copies to the slimes, but I don't think we craft enough (Or even have the material to craft enough) to justify this one.

If we normally upgrade the golem totem once can't we just double up the golems that go outside and make a gardner model? Green thumb seems like a waste.

Verdant Heart -> Plant monsters -> Both times we were invaded so far the adventurers used fire in some way
So nope to that one.

Ornamentalist sounds cool, but:
A: Can't you just have Hin forge some gold accessories for the denizens you want to more easily cast on?
and
B: Won't you be leaking less mana anyway now that you're congealing?
>>
No. 950711 ID: 2adab5

>Potent Residue
I'm guessing there are fairly strict limits to how many of these you can stack at once, since this was described as "fairly weak" per denizen rather than phenomenally powerful given time to build up". I'm also guessing that Potent Residue's mention of repeated exposure means that passive-granting doses potions would not be usable loot? If either of these guesses are wrong potent reside would pull ahead in the rankings.

>Curio-Bud
Not only is this neat, but IIRC dungeons need disposable loot for adventurers to potentially take, and our current options for this are just gold and some potions. Even if we are using the primary items for this, the resources from the secondary item would still be functionally a discount.

I vote Curio-Bud
>>
No. 950744 ID: e7c7d3

Let's go with Verdant Heart
>>
No. 950747 ID: e5e15e

Brewery - Potent Residue
>>
No. 950761 ID: 09e13b

Okay, some basic thoughts:

Potent Residue - We’ve know for a while that being able to mutate and customize our denizens, especially monsters, is something we’ll be able to do eventually. This seems like either a first step to that, or a way to get a weaker version of that ability before we ‘should’ be able to. Effectively we’d be doubling down on the ‘encourage growth’ part of Fecund. We also have Doyle, who makes the mass production of potions easier. Finally, this might be the best option for strengthening Worst Slime, if Merud’s golem suit fails.

Curio Bud - This option reminds me a little of the ‘Chaos’ dungeon option, actually: good for generating lots of cool shinies, but not so good for letting us use all of them in a cohesive manner. It doesn’t matter how many magic items we have, we still only have so many people who can actually use them. (Also, we’ve made all of one magic item so far, so it may not come into play that often.)

Green Thumb - The biggest benefit this has, protecting golems on missions away from the dungeon, is gated behind future upgrades. It would help us grow more crops and probably faster, but I’m not super sure if that’s really something we need? It’s not like we’re risking starving to death or anything.

Verdant Heart - Like Potent Residue, this feels like an early way of accessing an ability we’ve been told we’ll develop later: in this case, the ability to manipulate the earth pulse to spawn different types of monsters. It’d give us more diversity in terms of rank and file monsters, and we already have access to several types of magical plant (assuming fungus counts) not to mention however many species of regular plants can be harvested from the forest nearby. Adventurers WILL take advantage if we plant bomb seedlings in the heart chamber, though.

Spell Sprout - Very similar to Curio Bud, this makes interesting shiny stuff at random that we may or may not be able to use. Unless we want to start exploring far-tainted plants from Reisarf’s magic, I don’t think it’s worth it. Also, the Thaumatorium isn’t just a big empty room like the heart chamber is, it may be difficult to find places to plant stuff without getting in the way of fights or other use.

Ornamentalist - The benefits are tempting, but we JUST gave up a significant chunk of our new gold in order to empower Chakarchelou, having to do that for everyone in our dungeon sounds crippling. We would need a lot more gold to make this viable, I think.

Overall, Potent Residue and Verdant Heart seem like the best options. They’re both powerful, reliable abilities that will likely grow into more later as we reach the thresholds we need to get the proper more powerful versions. I’d be happy with either one, but I guess I’ll throw my vote behind Verdant Heart for now.
>>
No. 950773 ID: 768647

Brewery - Potent Residue
>>
No. 950775 ID: 7ad6c9

I would honestly prefer Spell Sprout. But out of the 3 options that are ahead, after reading what everyone's said, i guess id go with potent residue (although verdant heart is definitely the kind of ability i would prefer if i were playing a video game, i love that kind of varies-greatly-depending-on-what-you-have effect)
>>
No. 950781 ID: 944f3b

I'm leaning towards potent residue
>>
No. 950815 ID: 33056f

Potion permanency? Yes please. Potent Residue, for subtle shenanigans.
>>
No. 950820 ID: a7bb5f

Verdant heart all the way.
>>
No. 950851 ID: 996392

verdant heart>potent residue> curio bud
>>
No. 950860 ID: afa6f6

>>950627
Im going to pic Curio Bud, as the products can double as treasure for adventurers, or items we can sell to the shop in town for revenue. Plus, Hin still needs regular work to do and we just go a bunch of materials to work with.
>>
No. 950865 ID: f2320a

>>950627
Heart Chamber - Verdant Heart
I am still for chaos
>>
No. 951128 ID: 1ed92d

>>950627
I recommend the Brewery. There's some loss of potential compared to the Heart Chamber upgrade, but permanent potion effects is a steal when we even have Belphejar, who literally is made of potions, and have a great deal of experience in potion shenanigans.
>>
No. 951272 ID: 09e13b

>>951128
Keep in mind that Belphejar's potions have side effects, which we may want to be more cautious about if they're going to be permanent. Also, we don't know what 'reprocessing' the potion involves, there might be some sort of bottleneck. I do think there probably will be synergy there, but we don't really know how much yet.

>>950627
Should tell our denizens at some point that our dungeon is going to be plant/growth themed? I know we don't bother to keep them in the loop on a lot of stuff, but it sounds like this is going to be a pretty major feature of our dungeon going forwards, and it's going to directly affect them and their development.
>>
No. 951277 ID: 2ba9d1

Verdant Heart. The metaphor for your own rebirth isn't complete until you're actively creating new life.
>>
No. 951282 ID: 8d4593

Realize that once you congeal, your fragment will never again fit within the confines of your heart. The piece of you that is now golem Deem will eventually grow into a new, separate dungeon.

Have a minor existential crisis.
>>
No. 951395 ID: afa6f6

>>951272
The easy majority of potions we've made period have had side effects. Additionally, most of of the potions we make we wouldnt really need to be permanent, like stone skin, or growth, or satiation.
Compare that to what we'd get from Curio bud, which creates items, so the effect might as well be permanent as long as someones wearing/using them, but they can still take them off if necessary, we can use them for treasure, Or sell them for more gold, which Deem loves, And it will give Hin a steady source of work that doesnt involve fighting. Less side effects involved too.
So If im going to choose a denizen buffing option, it'd be curio bud rather then the brewery.
>>
No. 951463 ID: 09e13b

>>951395
Aren't the extra items produced by Curio Bud, you know, random? Buffs are nice, but we have no guarantee that they'll be useful or applicable to situations at hand, unlike both potions and regular magical items that we can already produce. Not being able to choose and manufacture the ones we want is a big drawback.

Also, magic items may not be able to stack on the same person depending what they are. If we get something like a magic ring or bangle then one person could probably wear several of them, yeah. But if it's something like a staff or shield that needs to be wielded it may be one at a time per person.

Ultimately, if we choose Curio Bud I suspect that most of the use we get from it will be in the form of items to sell or use as treasure, with maybe a few items that have significant application outside of combat like the fixity bangle if we get lucky. Which are both quite useful, don't get me wrong, but I think if we want combat boosting items specifically it would make more sense to just have Hin make everybody magic weapons the old fashioned way, and be able to fine tune the results to their fighting style.
>>
No. 951484 ID: 10c408

>>951463
Anything curio-bud makes happens *after* we've already created an item in the first place. Literal free stuff that we can sell/research/tempt adventurers into doing dumb stuff with.


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason