[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 172001181527.png - (58.38KB , 700x700 , hi guys you ready for another quest.png )
1093728 No. 1093728 ID: 127310

An experimental philosophical debate (combat) simulator with RPG elements. Will likely contain blood and gore. Will introduce more mechanics as time goes on.

Provide feedback at https://questden.org/kusaba/questdis/res/142424.html
Expand all images
>>
No. 1093729 ID: 127310
File 172001189388.png - (15.15KB , 700x700 , u1p1.png )
1093729

A figure enters the closed-off female bathroom of a once thriving store on Edgar Street.
>>
No. 1093730 ID: 127310
File 172001189504.png - (19.96KB , 700x700 , u1p2.png )
1093730

The far wall of this bathroom has had a hole smashed in it, large enough for the average person to comfortably walk through it. The wall next to it bears the Mark of the Lower House, signifying classified information, or worse, politics, beyond the threshold.

Being a Civil Servant, the figure has no qualms with dropping through into the space below.
>>
No. 1093731 ID: 127310
File 172001189814.png - (17.09KB , 700x700 , u1p3.png )
1093731

The Government has known about the Edgar Street Catacombs for a while now. It was a point of discussion in the Lower House for a few weeks, until the Minister for Spatiotemporal Anomalies professed to do something about it.

The topic settled after the Government became familiar with all the ins and outs of the Catacombs, and something was never done about them.

Having become frustrated by the Government’s inaction, or, more likely, bored by the lack of spatiotemporal anomalies in the City Centre, the Minister decided to investigate the Catacombs himself. He has since gone missing.

You are the aforementioned Civil Servant, a member of the Ministry of Memetic Philosophy, and you have been sent to find the Minister for Spatiotemporal Anomalies.
>>
No. 1093732 ID: 127310
File 172001190114.png - (19.56KB , 700x700 , u1p4.png )
1093732

You are now in the main chamber of the Edgar Street Catacombs. Three tunnels line the right wall, with a small amount of light coming out of the furthest one. There is one tunnel directly opposite you, but you will have to crawl through it. Two tunnels are on the left wall, though you can hear the hoots of the Mole People emanating from those.

The Mole People (officially known as the Edgar Street Humanoids) are an odd group of beings that inhabit the Catacombs. They are territorial, but mercifully slow and weak.

Regrettably, their numbers mean that combat with them will likely be inevitable, though you probably can avoid engaging with them for a while. Just don’t kill them. There is an irritating amount of paperwork associated with that. Just rough them up a bit with your baton.
>>
No. 1093733 ID: 4c750c

What exactly is our mission down here? I’m definitely interested in that glowing tunnel on the right, but if we’ve got directives to go somewhere else, then we should probably do that instead.
>>
No. 1093734 ID: 95170a

What doth right?
>>
No. 1093746 ID: b55e17

>>1093734
I wonder if we're some sort of memetic creature, but yeah right
>>
No. 1093748 ID: 273c18

>>1093732
Check the light.
>>
No. 1093750 ID: 127310
File 172006111932.png - (48.44KB , 700x700 , u2p1.png )
1093750

>I wonder if we're some sort of memetic creature, but yeah right

You are not some sort of memetic creature. You are nothing more than a Civil Servant.

>What exactly is our mission down here? I’m definitely interested in that glowing tunnel on the right, but if we’ve got directives to go somewhere else, then we should probably do that instead.

Your mission is to find the Minister for Spatiotemporal Anomalies, and get him back home. Ideally alive, but he can be replaced.

You go into the glowing tunnel on the right. The glow is being softly poured into the tunnel by a small device called a beacon. Ministers typically carry beacons in order to communicate with the Government in case things become too difficult or scary. This one is transmitting an ongoing distress signal to the Lower House. Probably how they knew the Minister had gone missing.

You deactivate and pocket the beacon. You could probably use it to communicate with people outside the Catacombs. It only has 24 hours of battery life at full charge, though, so use it sparingly.
>>
No. 1093751 ID: 127310
File 172006112906.png - (19.74KB , 700x700 , u2p2.png )
1093751

This tunnel seems to loop around to join the middle tunnel you saw earlier, so you decide to investigate around the bend.

There is a Mole Person sleeping on the ground here. It doesn’t seem to be sleeping very deeply. It gets more restless as you draw close. You back off slightly, but it still looks as though something within it knows it’s being watched.

Your impulses tell you to knock it out properly. It’s still a threat as long as it can still get up, and dealing with it now means you won’t have to later.

I give you a 75% chance of knocking it out with no problem. (D100 must roll greater than 25 in order to pass)
>>
No. 1093752 ID: 127310
File 172006114010.png - (18.29KB , 700x700 , u2p3.png )
1093752

>What doth right?

You leave the slumbering humanoid be for the moment and go to have a peek at the right tunnel closest to the entrance.

The tunnel looks to keep going for a while, but you can see an end to it. The subtle light dimly illuminating the very far wall makes you think that it’s another entrance to the Catacombs, further up Edgar Street, perhaps.

A Mole Person is standing here, facing away from you, slightly hunched over.
>>
No. 1093753 ID: 127310
File 172006114692.png - (19.35KB , 700x700 , u2p4.png )
1093753

It turns around to face you, startling you, but doesn’t look aggressive. Presumably, somebody had instructed it to prevent anyone from coming in through that entrance. You are already in, so you must be alright.

Once it has made this connection in its mind, the placid humanoid continues pretending to study several scraps of paper.

They look like the Prime Minister’s sketched maps of the catacombs from when they were first investigated. They were eventually brought back here to preserve the secrecy of the Catacombs.

You could probably take the maps, but it’s not clear whether your new friend would be all too happy with that.
>>
No. 1093754 ID: 273c18

>>1093750
Is that writing?

>>1093753
Look at the maps. Study them and commit them to memory and you won't have to take them.
>>
No. 1093755 ID: 5ebd37

Read over his shoulder. If he doesn't like it that's the perfect excuse to knock him out and take the map.
>>
No. 1093758 ID: 127310
File 172006514211.png - (14.09KB , 700x700 , u3p1.png )
1093758

>Is that writing?

No.
>>
No. 1093759 ID: 127310
File 172006514591.png - (24.05KB , 700x700 , u3p2.png )
1093759

>Look at the maps. Study them and commit them to memory and you won't have to take them.
>Read over his shoulder. If he doesn't like it that's the perfect excuse to knock him out and take the map.

You manage to memorise the first two chambers (including this one) and part of the third one, before the humanoid realises that what he has is valuable and refuses to let you peek.
>>
No. 1093766 ID: 273c18

>>1093759
This writing is hard to read.

Let's go knock out that sleeping mole person I guess.
>>
No. 1093768 ID: 4c750c

Yeah, sleeping mole ko seems like our best option. They seem at least semi-sapient. I’d love to study them, but that’s not what we’re here for.
>>
No. 1093772 ID: 127310
File 172010200711.png - (39.83KB , 700x700 , u4p1.png )
1093772

>This writing is hard to read.

The Prime Minister is not known for having good handwriting.

>Let's go knock out that sleeping mole person I guess.
>Yeah, sleeping mole ko seems like our best option. They seem at least semi-sapient.

You head back over to the sleeping mole person and raise your baton.

D100 rolls 82 (>25). Success!

With one fell swoop, you have knocked the humanoid into deep unconsciousness.

>I’d love to study them, but that’s not what we’re here for.

Nobody says you can’t later.
Unconscious Mole Person has been added to your inventory.
>>
No. 1093773 ID: 127310

You can hear the sound of the other Mole People shuffling towards the main chamber. Whatever meeting they were having must have just ended.
>>
No. 1093775 ID: 5ebd37

Lurk in wait to see if anyone comes in this chamber that you can pick off.
>>
No. 1093784 ID: d3521c

Do these beings speak our language? Because if they do, we could probably make our argument to retrieve the Minister and leave immedeatedly without them accosting us.

At any rate, pick a corner out of view where we can see without being seen.
>>
No. 1093896 ID: 127310
File 172033267621.png - (18.79KB , 700x700 , u5p1.png )
1093896

>Do these beings speak our language? Because if they do, we could probably make our argument to retrieve the Minister and leave immedeatedly without them accosting us.

All testing so far has indicated that they don’t. If they do, they are very good at pretending not to. Negotiated agreement is probably not an option with these guys.

>Lurk in wait to see if anyone comes in this chamber that you can pick off.
>At any rate, pick a corner out of view where we can see without being seen.

The other Mole People come shuffle into the main chamber single-file. There must be about six or seven of them. You recede further into the loop so that there’s even less chance of them seeing you.
>>
No. 1093897 ID: 127310
File 172033268060.png - (15.18KB , 700x700 , u5p2.png )
1093897

Oh dear! It looks like a Mole Person has stumbled into this tunnel and is about to realise that you are not where you should be! You can definitely run away from it, and you could also run around it, but by then it will put two and two together and alert its buddies.

If you stay and fight, it will not alert any other Mole People.
>>
No. 1093898 ID: 5ebd37

You have the initiative. Roundhouse kick!
>>
No. 1093903 ID: 273c18

Fight it!
>>
No. 1093911 ID: 4c750c

Yeah, stealth is key here. The more mole people we alert, the more we risk potentially having no choice but to kill at least one. Imagine the paperwork for more than one Mole Person Murder… I shudder at even the thought! Better to fight this one here and now where it’s easier to be non-lethal about things.
>>
No. 1093967 ID: ef62c1

Wait! Maybe this is a trick. This might be a philisophical quandary regarding the measure we value our objective over the well-being of this creature. Maybe we will later leave a trail of corpses and the realización we were the true villains all along.

We should likely broaden our philosophical horizons and base our next course of action on Kant's postulation that all people are good.

With this in mind, the decition is clear: we will hug the mole man!
>>
No. 1094044 ID: 1e982e
File 172059341352.png - (17.14KB , 700x700 , u6p1.png )
1094044

>Wait! Maybe this is a trick. This might be a philisophical quandary regarding the measure we value our objective over the well-being of this creature. Maybe we will later leave a trail of corpses and the realización we were the true villains all along.

Thankfully, your training has prevented you from needing to have thoughts like this. Besides, you won’t kill the Mole Person, that I promise. Hugging the Mole Person would also end poorly for you.

>You have the initiative. Roundhouse kick!
>Fight it!
>Better to fight this one here and now where it’s easier to be non-lethal about things.

You initiate with a kick! You catch the Mole Person with your shin, dealing 1 damage.

Alright, now I have to tell you about memetic philosophy. Basically, your opponent opens with their Thesis and comes up with new Arguments each turn to try to support their thesis.

If you want to avoid damage, you should try to logically reject their arguments. You must then also provide your own arguments to attack their thesis. If your opponent cannot reject your arguments, you may damage them. You don’t usually have to disprove an opponent’s thesis, you just need to deplete their health. Theses and arguments don’t necessarily relate to what’s happening at the very moment, some can get very abstract.

Think of it as using your psychic powers to break your opponent’s stance and open them for an attack.

Lots of enemies will also have Passive Abilities that will complicate the fight. I’ll provide a link to a google doc where you can read the passive abilities. Make sure to stay on top of them!
>>
No. 1094046 ID: 1e982e
File 172059351274.png - (27.23KB , 700x700 , u6p2.png )
1094046

Battle against Mole Person

Turn 1

You [20/20hp]

Opponent: Mole Person α [4/5hp]
Passives:
Protected https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gEJkxaTXmFsiHQ2f43KKy0jS5DrTCnQO2wMtecQU2HM/edit#bookmark=id.qn1mggc71iip

Thesis:
You should not be here.

Arguments:
You do not look like me, therefore you should not be here.

Alright, now’s your chance to use your Sick Rhetoric Skills.
>>
No. 1094047 ID: 4c750c

Seems like we have a pretty easy start! Counter Argument: It is possible for me to not look like you and also belong here.
>>
No. 1094048 ID: 4c750c

Also, this is a pretty nifty combat system! Love it!
>>
No. 1094049 ID: 273c18

>>1094046
Mole People look different from one another, yet they belong here. Is he judging you on your appearance? RACIST!
>>
No. 1094050 ID: 4c750c

>>1094049
This one gets it
>>
No. 1094051 ID: 1e982e
File 172060036848.png - (27.76KB , 700x700 , u7p1.png )
1094051

>Also, this is a pretty nifty combat system! Love it!

Thank you! I hope you enjoy all the stuff I have planned for it.

Turn 1 (Continued)

>Mole People look different from one another, yet they belong here.

Conceded as a rejection of Mole Person α’s argument.

You do not look like me, therefore you should not be here.

>It is possible for me to not look like you and also belong here.

Conceded as an attack on Mole Person α’s thesis on the basis that it was never conceded that you have to look like a Mole Person to belong here. The opponent provides no counterargument.

You lunge forward and strike the Mole Person. It winces at you.
1 damage dealt.

Turn 2

You [20/20hp]

Opponent: Mole Person α [3/5hp]
Passives:
Protected https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gEJkxaTXmFsiHQ2f43KKy0jS5DrTCnQO2wMtecQU2HM/edit#bookmark=id.qn1mggc71iip

Thesis:
You should not be here.

Arguments:
You have not been permitted in here.
You are attacking the people here, so you should not be here.

When responding to multiple arguments, please specify which of your counterarguments corresponds to which of the enemy’s arguments. Please also specify if you intend to directly attack the enemy’s thesis.
>>
No. 1094052 ID: f8f340

Thesis: You should not be here.

Argument 1: You have not been permitted in here.
Counterargument: Permission to be in this area has been granted by the relevant authorities.

Argument 2: You are attacking the people here, so you should not be here.
Counterargument: The usage or application of force is unrelated to the concept of belonging.
>>
No. 1094053 ID: 4c750c

>>1094052

Seconded
>>
No. 1094110 ID: 5ebd37

>>1094052
concurred
>>
No. 1094152 ID: 1e982e
File 172075636497.png - (28.06KB , 700x700 , u8p1.png )
1094152

Turn 2 (Continued)

>Counterargument: Permission to be in this area has been granted by the relevant authorities.

Conceded. You follow up your lunge with a smack from left to right.
1 damage dealt.
>>
No. 1094153 ID: 1e982e
File 172075636848.png - (36.25KB , 700x700 , u8p2.png )
1094153

>Counterargument: The usage or application of force is unrelated to the concept of belonging.

Conceded. The baton retraces its steps, injuring the Mole Person such that the bruises will be symmetrical.
1 damage dealt.

Turn 2 Summary:
Mole Person α [3/5hp] → [1/5hp]


Turn 3

You [20/20hp]

Opponent: Mole Person α [1/5hp]
Passives:
Protected https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gEJkxaTXmFsiHQ2f43KKy0jS5DrTCnQO2wMtecQU2HM/edit#bookmark=id.qn1mggc71iip

Thesis:
You should not be here.

Arguments:
(Not acting this turn)

>Seconded
>concurred

It doesn’t really matter right now, but in future you may want to come up with your own arguments. The Mole Person could have been defeated a turn earlier with just one more conceded argument. Future encounters will also try to rebut your arguments, so having multiple arguments will prove useful.
>>
No. 1094163 ID: 4591f8

Violently sagacious fanfare! Win for rhetoric! We were here to find the minister right? If this mole person can talk after the fight, we should find out what they know.
>>
No. 1094164 ID: 4591f8

Whoops shit early celebration. They still have a hit point remaining.

To attack the thesis directly, according to our own authority assigned to us, this is explicitly the location where your work requires to be. We act according to this authority. Thus, we are supposed to be here and we should be here.
>>
No. 1094175 ID: ab47f3

Arguement: the mole person is not here in any official capacity and thus has no say on who should or should not be here.


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason