[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 166962117764.png - (514.18KB , 641x488 , JadeColossus49.png )
1050419 No. 1050419 ID: f57349

Dimensional portal winks out. Thunderclap of unraveling tidal force shatters the surrounding stone wall. You're stranded in a cavernous space full of ancient, semi-functional machinery. Can you find another way home?

Core of character creation is an adjective, a noun, and a verb.

Noun options:
Arkus (leader)
Delve (explorer)
Jack (rogue)
Glaive (fighter)
Nano (mage)
Wright (builder)

For adjective and verb, describe what you want to be and do, I'll compile a short list of the relevant options.
Once chargen is done, any consequential IC action should include dice 20d20 in the e-mail field.
Discussion: https://discord.gg/ZuGRZKD Tip jar: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=4587981
Expand all images
>>
No. 1050479 ID: 693906

Core idea for a character:

Mostly functional ancient security robot having been successfully booted by sensors detecting the nearby dimensional rift.

Ideas to do:

Obviously as a security robot for whatever ancient governmental organization (or whatever ancient private entity, not limited to but definitely including self declared mad/angry scientists) would set up a lab such as this, non-lethal and lethal combat abilities, probably at least some amount of leaning into "To what measure is a man" entirely because I realized about 10 minutes into writing this that I was accidentally taking the premise behind Mega Man X and Zero and deciding to run with it.
>>
No. 1050489 ID: e5709d

rolled 8, 6, 10, 11, 14, 4, 6, 8, 7, 17, 20, 8, 9, 18, 11, 19, 5, 5, 20, 16 = 222

Ivori is a Stealthy Jack who Murders

Ivori stands motionlessly, staring at the machinery in silence. Her mind is focused on finding a path out.
>>
No. 1050494 ID: 6377a3
File 166974582518.png - (393.61KB , 666x1628 , X_Scilla_Command_Mission.png )
1050494

>>1050479
Defense Against Negligent Intruders (DANI)

Artificially Intelligent Glaive that Defends the Gate
Might 20
Speed 13
Intellect 12

Skills: Jumping (Trained)

Clothes
Medium Armor
Greatsword
Heavy Crossbow
Explorer's Pack
1 Alarm Node
1 Phase Disruptor
1 Glasses of Green (maybe broken HUD?)
5 shins

Fighting Moves: Fleet Foot, Aggressive

=============

ARTIFICIALLY INTELLIGENT

Superintelligent: +4 to your Intellect Pool.

Artificial Body: +3 to your Might Pool and Speed Pool.

Shell: +1 to Armor.

Limited Recovery: Resting restores points only to your Intellect Pool, not to your Might Pool or Speed Pool.

Mechanics, Not Medicines: Conventional healing methods, including the vast majority of numenera restorative devices, do not function to restore points to any of your Pools. You can recover points to your Intellect Pool only by resting, and you can recover points to your Speed and Might Pools only through repair.

Machine Vulnerabilities and Invulnerabilities: Damaging effects and other threats that rely on an organic system—poison, disease, cell disruption, and so on—have no effect on you. Neither do beneficial drugs or other effects. Conversely, things that normally affect only inorganic or inanimate objects can affect you. Effects that can disrupt machines affect you.

Uncanny Valley: You have a hard time relating to organic beings, and they don’t react well to you. The difficulty of all positive interaction tasks with such beings is increased by two steps.


============


Defends the Gate


Additional Equipment: You have a strange
device, either handheld or fused to your
forearm. It might be purely decorative, or it
might be related to your connection to the
numenera.
Minor Effect Suggestions: The target is
pushed back by your strong defense, so much
so that it’s dazed for one round, during which
time its tasks are hindered.
Major Effect Suggestions: Make an
additional attack with your weapon on your
turn.

Tier 1: Fortified Position (2 Might points). For

the next minute, you gain +1 Armor and an
asset to your Might defense tasks, as long as
you haven’t moved more than an immediate
distance since your last turn. Action to initiate.
Rally to Me (2 Intellect points). You cry
out, blow a battle horn, or otherwise signal
to everyone within very long range that you
require aid. All allied creatures who respond
by moving to within an immediate distance of
you within the next few rounds gain one asset
on any one attack or defense task within the
next hour that you suggest, such as “hold the
gate,” “charge that group of abhumans,” or
something similar. Action to initiate.
>>
No. 1050513 ID: f57349

>>1050489
Space you're in is about fifty meters high and wide, though darkness and irregular walls make it hard to say precisely. Off to the right it continues further than you can see. Floor is occasional jagged mechanical protrusions, like rocky islands in a lake of liquid metal.

Following the left wall, you can see a broken metal footbridge leading to an open doorway, about forty meters away horizontally and twenty meters above the shoreline. Near end of the bridge is partially submerged, but might be close enough to reach by straightforward climbing and jumping.

However, one of the necessary stepping stones is glowing dull red and vibrating hard enough to send small ripples across the whole visible surface.
>>
No. 1050518 ID: e5709d

Ivori's stats:
Ivori is a Stealthy Jack who Murders
Tier 1
Upgrades 0/4
*
*
*
*
XP 0/4

Might 10
Speed 18
Intellect 10
Speed Edge 1
Effort 1

Practiced
Light and medium Weapons

Trained
Any one non-attack/defense task of your choosing (Climbing)
Stealth and disguise
All stealthy tasks
All interactions involving lies or trickery
All esoteries or abilities involving illusions or trickery

Inabilities
Movement-related tasks

Fixed Abilities:
Flex Skill
Surprise Attack

Abilities:
Create Deadly Poison
Vanish

Additional Information
Equipment:
Clothing
Two weapons (Tanto, Half-Bow)
Light Armor
An explorers pack
A pack of light tools
A disguise kit
Three doses of a level 2 blade poison that deals 5 damage
Shins: 8
Cyphers
Crafter's Eyes (Level 8) - A pair of glasses which can auto-succeed a single crafting subtask Lv 8 or lower.
Cling Skin (Level 6) - A ream of bubble wrap which resists Fire and Radiation up to Level 6 for 28 hours.
Cypher limit: 2
Oddities
Blue crystal that glows as bright as a candle when held
(Probably shouldn't let Magey's character know about this one.)
>>
No. 1050581 ID: aa8cad

Melaina Li
Irrepressible Nano who Dances With Dark Matter

Might Edge 0, Pool 11/11
Speed Edge 0, Pool 9/9
Intellect Edge 1, Pool 18/18

Initial Link: TBD
Connection: TBD

Trained in all tasks related to positive social interaction, understanding numenera.
Intelligence defense tasks vs confidence games and similar schemes.

Special Abilities:
Sturdy Spirit
Bounce Back
Hedge Magic (1 Int)
Onslaught, physical (1 Int)
Community Scholar
Ribbons of Dark Matter (2 Int)

Equipment:
Clothing
Walking stick with indentation for crystal oddity (medium weapon)
Book about the numenera (annotated copy of the Silmarillion)
4 Shins

Oddity:
Blue crystal that glows as bright as a candle when held (she's like 85% sure this is one of the Silmarils).

Cyphers:
Level 2 Farspeaker
Level 8 Immobilizer (web gun)
Level 5 Sustainance Implant (food pill)
>>
No. 1050606 ID: 287555

rolled 10, 9, 19, 4, 13, 19, 19, 16, 13, 3, 11, 7, 3, 2, 15, 17, 18, 1, 6, 5 = 210

"Everyone all right?", the nano asks, before thumping the base of her walking stick against the ground and illuminating the attached crystal. (A candlelight isn't enough to illuminate this entire space, but it's something).

>However, one of the necessary stepping stones is glowing dull red and vibrating hard enough to send small ripples across the whole visible surface.
Let's start with an attempt to determine what that is, or what it's doing. At least, as best as can be done with observation, or poking with a tendril of dark matter, rather than more detailed disassembly. Should fall under understanding numenera, and poking and prodding seems like it would be within Hedge Magic.
>>
No. 1050614 ID: 04697a
File 166985373855.jpg - (47.23KB , 564x777 , Misha2.jpg )
1050614

rolled 18, 3, 2, 13, 13, 13, 3, 6, 12, 15, 14, 2, 8, 19, 7, 10, 15, 8, 12, 13 = 206

Misha Walker
Relentless Wright that Augments Flesh with Grafts

Might Edge 0, Pool 13/13
Speed Edge 0, Pool 9/9
Intellect Edge 1, Pool 16/16

Initial Link: TBD
Connection: TBD

Skills:
Trained in tasks related to healing and finding food and water. Healing, performing surgical procedures, and withstanding pain. Crafting numenera

No penalty in Salvaging numenera

Inability in Understanding numenera
Interaction tasks are hindered.


Special Abilities:
Survivor’s Intuition
Community Builder
Always Tinkering

Numenera Plans
ALARM MECH: Minimum Crafting Level: 1
TRAIL BLAZER: level 1d6

Deconstruct (3 Intellect points)
Right Tool for the Job (1 Intellect point + iotum)
Autodoctor.
Surgical Graft.


Equipment:
Clothing
Dagger (light weapon)
An explorer’s pack
Contains 50 feet (15 m) of rope, rations for three days, three spikes, hammer, warm clothes, sturdy boots, three torches, and two minor glowglobes.
A book about crafting
A box of crafting tools
5 shins
Iotum
4 units of io
4 units of responsive synth
6 units of parts

Oddity:
Ceramic pot that produces a tiny puff of colored smoke once every hour and a half

Cyphers (3/3):
DECEPTION FILTER: Lvl 6 Little patch that says 'Hi, I am [HONEST]' and prevents the wearer from willingly telling a lie for an hour.

INVISIBILITY NODULE: Lvl 1 Crystal nodule affixed to armor that makes it invisible

INSTANT WALL: Lvl 5, handheld device that grows into a permanent wall.

----------
A grumpy groan responds to the nano's question, a metallic clicking sounding when the wright raises a mechanical limb to brush hair from her eyes. With another grunt and more clicks she stands to survey the area.

"Still alive as ever, though it seems the bloody portal idea didn't make me feel any better... Dammit where are we?"
>>
No. 1050651 ID: f57349

>>1050606
>rolled 10
>trained in understanding numenera
Succeeds at difficulty 4. You figure it's an entropy vent for a larger system - probably supposed to be fully submerged, so convection in the metallic liquid can carry away waste heat more efficiently. Mechanism it's supporting could be induced to apply a synth coating to items of arbitrary size, providing +4 armor.
>>1050614
>rolled 18
>inability at understanding numenera
Succeeds at difficulty 5. While an ordinary human could be put through that armor-plating process, they would almost certainly not survive - comparable to being locked in a coffin which was then flooded with boiling tar. Vehicles with self-contained life support might be more appropriate test subjects.
>Dammit where are we?
First wild guess would be you're in the ruins of some prior-world armored vehicle factory.
>>
No. 1050652 ID: e5709d

rolled 15, 17, 14, 1, 13, 16, 4, 19, 12, 2, 14, 10, 2, 3, 17, 11, 15, 1, 8, 19 = 213

"..."

Ivori observes the glowing stepping stone, and then fires an arrow into it.
>>
No. 1050653 ID: f57349

>>1050652
>rolled 15
Arrowhead severs some critical connection, causing the vent to quickly cool off and stop vibrating.
>, 17
Disassembling it into a more convenient platform yields seven shins, four units of mimetic gel, three units of azure steel, and 35 units of parts.
>, 14
>trained in climbing
Despite now being collectively encumbered by more than two hundred pounds of loot, all three of you make it safely over onto the broken bridge, and up that slope to the previously observed doorway... which is now blocked by DANI.
>, 1
Meanwhile, the wall near where you arrived continues to crumble, and some sort of fungal growth is erupting through the cracks. Ivori and somebody else (picked by Kome) get 1 xp each.
>>
No. 1050656 ID: 04697a

>>1050652
"Oi!"

Misha blinks a few times in bemusement, eyes flicking between the now-deactivated heatsink and Ivori.

"...M'sure you meant that."

>>1050653
Once confronted with the ancient automaton, the Wright stops in her tracks warily.
"Lovely, the place has working custodians. Maybe we shoul-"

The sudden appearance of the rapid-growing mycelium causes her to sigh and click her tongue.
"Well. I think that's officially cut our losses and run time. Hold close folks."

She clicks her heels together to activate the Trail Blazer device on one boot... only for nothing to happen.
"Of cooourse."
>>
No. 1050657 ID: 6377a3

rolled 11, 4, 20, 17, 13, 10, 9, 12, 17, 2, 7, 4, 16, 15, 13, 11, 18, 13, 13, 10 = 235

>>1050419
> Dimensional portal winks out. Thunderclap of unraveling tidal force shatters the surrounding stone wall. You're stranded in a cavernous space full of ancient, semi-functional machinery. Can you find another way home?

Well, a large enough explosion to shatter stone walls is something that an advanced laboratory would have sensors to deploy automated security, and semi-functional security is still functional enough to go out searching. Which is why it was a serious concern that only one pod was opening. Or actually that there's only one pod in the immediate area.

A quick check into error logs shows some kind of error with the automatic updates software, with 1432 failed scheduled updates, with the updates failing as the update server address is off line. Presently booted in emergency mode with all failsafes bypassed.

==> Begin session recording for maintenance purposes

>>1050653
> Following the left wall, you can see a broken metal footbridge leading to an open doorway, about forty meters away horizontally and twenty meters above the shoreline.

> Despite now being collectively encumbered by more than two hundred pounds of loot, all three of you make it safely over onto the broken bridge, and up that slope to the previously observed doorway... which is now blocked by DANI.

And mercifully quickly finding the intruders attempting to use the same door she was coming through, leaving them face to face with someone with fairly high end armor and a sword as big as she is in both hands and a massive crossbow at her side.

"Intruders located, please leave restricted areas as quickly as possible. I am authorized in the use of deadly force, but would rather prefer that not be necessary."
>>
No. 1050660 ID: aa8cad

rolled 7, 2, 19, 9, 5, 14, 7, 1, 14, 2, 7, 6, 11, 11, 19, 13, 1, 12, 16, 17 = 193

>"Still alive as ever, though it seems the bloody portal idea didn't make me feel any better... Dammit where are we?"
"Somewhere else! Your portal worked."

>some sort of fungal growth is erupting through the cracks
>Well. I think that's officially cut our losses and run time.
If we're picking flight over fight, might as well make us harder to follow. "Hiya! You stay there, fungus." Melanie calls out, as ribbons of shadow emerge to tangle with the also-emerging fungus. (1 point of Intellect spent on Ribbons of Dark Matter).

>>1050657
>"Intruders located, please leave restricted areas as quickly as possible. I am authorized in the use of deadly force, but would rather prefer that not be necessary."
"Oh! A robot, hello! ...wait, that's not racist is it? I'm Melanie, this is Misha, and that's Ivori, if she's not being shy again.

"Um. Sorry to intrude, but which way leads out of the restricted area? We're a little lost. Teleportation mishap, must have skipped right over the 'no trespassing' signs."
>>
No. 1050669 ID: f57349

Behind DANI there's a hallway, three meters wide, four high, forty-nine meters long. Far end opens into a kite-shaped room, twenty meters by forty, with three other exits: a sealed door directly opposite, and narrow crawlspaces to the left and right.

Small open-topped boxes emerge from the left every two or three seconds, pass under a spout (which occasionally fills one with grayish-brown mud), roll along the length of the room at a leisurely walking pace, and on out the other tunnel. Overall layout seems oddly familiar.
>>
No. 1050670 ID: e5709d

rolled 15, 3, 15, 19, 3, 14, 15, 5, 7, 2, 15, 4, 10, 7, 14, 14, 9, 14, 5, 14 = 204

Ivori wordlessly points to the spout spurting brown sludge.
>>
No. 1050680 ID: 04697a

rolled 2, 5, 15, 17, 19, 6, 1, 10, 6, 3, 14, 11, 15, 1, 9, 9, 19, 8, 4, 5 = 179

>>1050660
"Good thinking, we prob'ly don't wanna have the growth overtake us."

>>1050657
Seeing as the machine has expressed a desire not to escalate to hostility, Misha's trepidation evaporates and she blithely starts examining D.A.N.I with an envious eye, letting out a low whistle of appreciation.

"Well now aren't you a beaut'. No visible seams or joins on your exterior, impressive strength, decent armaments. Definitely seem to be in better repair than the rest'a this place."

She catches herself rambling and draws back, idly eyeing the sludge dispenser and box conveyor.
"Anyway, yeah, how's about escorting us from the premises since we don't know the way out eh?"
>>
No. 1050733 ID: 693906

rolled 12, 15, 3, 16, 15, 15, 7, 12, 18, 16, 2, 2, 19, 4, 8, 14, 19, 2, 8, 13 = 220

>>1050660
> "Um. Sorry to intrude, but which way leads out of the restricted area? We're a little lost. Teleportation mishap, must have skipped right over the 'no trespassing' signs."

"Oh, that's easy enough. All you have to do is..." As she went to give a set of instructions an error log comes out instead.

=> err: routemake.bat has encountered a critical error [500]
==> file c://data/automapping/preload/important/facility/1.pdb corrupted.
===> Attempting to load back up
====> err: backup data not found
==> file c://data/automapping/preload/important/facility/2.pdb corrupted
===> Attempting to load back up
====> err: backup data not found
==> file c://data/automapping/preload/important/facility/3.pdb corrupted
===> Attempting to load back up
====> err: backup data not found
==> file c://data/automapping/preload/important/facility/4.pdb corrupted
===> Attempting to load back up
====> err: backup data not found
==> file c://data/automapping/preload/important/facility/5.pdb corrupted
===> Attempting to load back up
====> err: backup data not found
=====> routemake.bat failed
=====> ##If you're reading this then a file/files have failed to load and the prescribed solution is running data validation on whatever files the preceding error log failed to load.
=====> ## If I do this then it will look like I added two troubleshooting comments, since it's not like anyone reads these things. It would take a real idiot to fuck up a self-actualized AI bad enough to do this level of tech support.
======> file saved as error (4296).txt

"And then you should be out. And that process failed. Alright, that is not great. But, I will make sure that you make it out, with everyone in one piece."

Well, with that, it would be really poor form to not analyze the sludge in the room that she had just come from, and the mushroom. Both to determine if there was any non-corrupt data regarding what they might be, and also to run threat analysis on them.
>>
No. 1050736 ID: f57349

>>1050733
>analyze the sludge in the room that she had just come from, and the mushroom. Both to determine if there was any non-corrupt data regarding what they might be, and also to run threat analysis on them.
>rolled 12, 15
Sludge is 60% water by mass, remainder inert particulates, mostly under five microns. Initial analysis of electrolytes and trace volatiles implies passage through a half-micron filter, or settling pond, would render it adequate for agriculture or sanitation, but further processing would be required to rate it potable. Need a proper lab to check for potential heavy metals, replicators, or xevarch, though.

Fungal mass presents a biohazard, classed as respiratory/neurological, but urgency for triage purposes is considered low. An otherwise-healthy biosapient who loses consciousness without displaying further severe symptoms - irregular circulation, skin color change indicating hypoxia, necrotic tissue, convulsions - can simply be removed from the affected area to somewhere with clearer air, observing standard precautions to avoid transport-related injury, and expected to fully recover. Typical convalescence between fifteen minutes and three hours. Two-week course of systemic antifungal drugs recommended as precautionary follow-up for patients with substandard medichines (other than lattimor, obviously).
Initial apparent explosive growth rate attributable to extrusion. In layman's terms, collapsing wall squeezed it out like a tube of toothpaste.
>>
No. 1050738 ID: 693906

rolled 8, 7, 4, 4, 15, 11, 15, 20, 1, 4, 2, 19, 13, 6, 12, 6, 10, 7, 17, 3 = 184

>>1050736

> Also I'm thinking the sludge isn't what was originally supposed to be going in those boxes, but the comm node you'd normally use to contact Facilities Maintenance to notify them of the problem was at some point physically disconnected mid-firmware-update, so wherever it is now it's definitely not working.

"Alert to everyone. You are presently in an area elevated to BSL-1. Avoid consuming any food or drink, or engaging in any non-recommended lab practices while in elevated biohazard conditions. Upon leaving any potentially contaminated areas, you are recommended to bathe thoroughly before sleeping. Janitorial staff will be dispatched to begin repairs and restore room to operations as soon as trained janitorial staff can be located. Facility further showing advanced signs of structural damage. Attempting to form new route... Around everything

First point of building a new working internal map for her route-making software to navigate back to the exit involves checking the routes available with present forms of locomotion.

Scanning for entrances at shore level and how everyone in the group can go through. Scanning for environmental ramps up to the doors on the actual operating level where the catwalk should be but isn't.

Unusual methods of egress possibly necessary. Moving to the conveyor belt room, and checking where the boxes are coming in and leaving from the room to help determine whether they are safe or not to go crawling through.

Through the entire course of her scanning her body moved as little as possible, preferring to move only her eyes while processing where possible.
>>
No. 1050742 ID: aa8cad

rolled 6, 2, 2, 9, 9, 20, 16, 12, 6, 1, 20, 20, 19, 6, 19, 8, 6, 9, 1, 9 = 200

>>1050733
"Are you all right?" Melaina asks, concerned that corrupted memories might be migraine or headache inducing, or at the very least, distressing.

>>1050669
>Small open-topped boxes emerge from the left every two or three seconds, pass under a spout (which occasionally fills one with grayish-brown mud), roll along the length of the room at a leisurely walking pace, and on out the other tunnel. Overall layout seems oddly familiar.
"Why move from plumbing to porters? A different process added later to harvest goo? A step in a manufacturing process? Is it feeding them?" The nano muses, watching crouching down to watch the boxes trundle by. She peers down lower, how are they propelled: wheels, little legs, slug-o-motion, a conveyor, hovering...?

Then she's carefully cross to the other side of the room, trying not to interrupt or interfere with the box migration, and examine the door. Is it locked or labeled, does it have a recognizable mechanism to operate, etc.
>>
No. 1050743 ID: e5709d

rolled 2, 8, 19, 16, 18, 9, 9, 3, 1, 11, 17, 10, 19, 1, 9, 12, 18, 7, 5, 6 = 200

>>1050733
Ivori takes an interest in that chanted error log. Silently, she wonders if she can hack the android so that she spews a combination of sexual moans and punk rock every time someone asks her about the meaning of her existence.
[New Personal Goal: Prank the Android]

>>1050736
While the others aren't looking, Ivori nabs a box of sludge and seals it shut, intending to use it as poison material later.
>>
No. 1050819 ID: 04697a

rolled 16, 16, 4, 18, 14, 7, 13, 15, 15, 9, 7, 12, 1, 5, 1, 18, 5, 9, 7, 8 = 200

>>1050733
The spoken error log elicits a snort from the wright, a ghost of a smile making itself visible.
"I can only aspire to such dedication in my own works."

>Metal frame, waist high, rows of free-rotating synth wheels, mysterious how the boxes are moving at a consistent speed since the rollers aren't actively propelling them.

Idle fascination and not a little bit of greed overtaking her, Misha approaches the conveyor belt and examines the rows of wheels themself before peering along the line's exit, gaze following the movement of the boxes to see if she can garner anything useful about where they and their sludgy contents are going.

Whilst doing so she addresses the AI over her shoulder.
"I don't suppose y'can recall the details of this place in it's hayday can you? Everything it produced and the like. Totally just to see if it gives any clues on alternate ways out."
>>
No. 1050841 ID: f57349

>>1050742
>rolled 6,
In such dim light, waist-high metal frame supporting the path those boxes traverse blended too well with the background.
>2, 2, 9,
Melaina attempts to climb over the top, but the pebbled-looking texture turns out to be almost frictionless. Slips and falls, taking 2 Might damage and briefly (perhaps with Ivori's clandestine assistance) wearing a sludge-filled box as a hat.
If all those little interlocking wheels rotate freely, what's keeping the boxes moving at such a consistent speed? Unclear.
Crawling underneath, between the conveyor belt's widely-spaced supports, turns out to be easier albeit a bit less dignified.
>9, 20
Door seems to be sealed airtight. There's an indentation in the wall next to it, containing a glossy black surface about 20cm square with two round pegs protruding. Lower-left peg is a little under 2cm diameter, upper-right about half a cm, distance between maybe 6cm, angle about 30 degrees from parallel with the lower edge of the panel.
Minor esotery cleans mud off of Melaina's face and hands, leaving a brief halo of heat. Steam condensing on the black panel, from Melaina's hand hovering nearby (larger peg between thumb and forefinger, smaller between pinky and ring), causes it to flash and beep a few times.
The door opens, and DANI is struck with a sudden overpowering urge to shout "Greetings And Salutations, Director Lee!"
>>
No. 1050842 ID: f57349

>>1050738
Room beyond is almost as large, semicircular, with the just-opened door being in the center of the flat side. DANI recognizes it as the Inspector's Lounge. It's brightly lit and there are two other exits.
Of more immediate relevance, inside are eight creatures, each resembling a slightly different asymmetric mix of goat and human. Biggest one dives for a pile of junk where the vending machines used to be, digs through it, finds and brandishes something roughly the size and shape of a soup can, staring at you wild-eyed while making a big show of hooking a finger through the pull-pin in that mechanism on top. Two in the back continue having sex. Five others set down a card game and ready spears.
Gambling and overt sexual activity are considered higher-priority violations of the Employee And Visitor Code Of Conduct than brandishing unpowered melee weapons. Use of a fire extinguisher is not considered a violation at all, under the current conditions.
>>
No. 1050866 ID: 287555

rolled 8, 18, 3, 10, 17, 12, 12, 20, 12, 18, 19, 10, 10, 16, 9, 19, 9, 20, 16, 5 = 263

>Melaina attempts to climb over the top, but the pebbled-looking texture turns out to be almost frictionless. Slips and falls, taking 2 Might damage and briefly (perhaps with Ivori's clandestine assistance) wearing a sludge-filled box as a hat.
Well, at least we learned nothing bad happens if you disturb the boxes!

>>1050842
After a beat of awkwardness with the noise of sex in the background, a wide eyed and blushing Melaina calls out "We come in peace!" and if that doesn't do anything about the weapons pointed her way, she's going to move away from the door, letting someone better armed and armored take point against the angry-to-be-interrupted abhumans.

Attempt at diplomacy to avert conflict, benefiting from training in positive social interaction. (And probably an understanding numenera roll to see if she recognizes the fire extinguisher for what it is, most likely training in understanding numenera cancelled out by her inability with confidence games).
>>
No. 1050936 ID: 6377a3

rolled 20, 12, 10, 4, 10, 1, 2, 10, 6, 15, 20, 12, 8, 3, 14, 18, 6, 4, 19, 13 = 207

>>1050742

"Are you all right?" Melaina asks, concerned that corrupted memories might be migraine or headache inducing, or at the very least, distressing.

>>1050841

"There is no need to worry about anything like that." She was (at the very least trying) to be matter of fact enough that it hid that she didn't actually give an answer one way or the other.

>>1050819
> "I don't suppose y'can recall the details of this place in it's hayday can you? Everything it produced and the like. Totally just to see if it gives any clues on alternate ways out."

"That's a question best suited for a designated tour guide, but this place was - Greetings And Salutations, Director Lee!"

Immediately shifting tracks, there was a higher priority situation than any explanation in the form of visitors in flagrant abasement of the rules of conduct. Continuum of Force level updated to level 2. Internal weaponry off-line. Non-lethal forms of appreciation off-line. Only remaining strategy for escalation is updating to level 5. Caution -- blood stains should be cleaned as quickly as possible to avoid stains. Standing orders to radio janitorial staff with present location before moving on in any events where lethal force is used.

"Alert: This area is presently at an elevated biohazard contamination. These areas are closed to visitors until such time as the facility is in good repairs. Further, a strict professional dress code and a blanket ban on all... such... activities has been issued following the incidents. Order priority Alpha. Desist and please return to appropriate dress and proceed to the nearest exit."

DANI was delivering the first half to everyone, but the second half was clearly to the ones having sex. Though she waited for the space in the door to open up before she would take her place there to defend the civilian parties.
>>
No. 1050962 ID: e5709d

rolled 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 19, 16, 10, 7, 18, 5, 2, 13, 10, 15, 16, 7, 4, 11, 13 = 200

>wearing a sludge-filled box as a hat
Ivori shows no change in expression, yet she is currently not carrying a box filled with sludge.
Ivori quietly tallies a Chuckle Point in her headspace.

>>1050842
After cold-staring the goat creatures for a few seconds, Ivori calmly and casually walks back into the previous room, only to throw her back to the wall once she's out of sight. She plans to turn invisible and quickly backstab the farthest goat-

>>1050936
But it appears the android will convince the 'interns' to stand down after all. Still, it appears they will encounter further organic units in the very near-future. Or possibly in thirty seconds if her party acts incompetently and angers the goat creatures. Ivori decides to spend her initiative creating a unit of poison and slathers it over her tanto.
>>
No. 1050982 ID: 04697a

rolled 18, 16, 4, 1, 12, 14, 17, 19, 11, 18, 10, 6, 7, 13, 15, 6, 8, 6, 4, 16 = 221

>>1050866
Initially frowning in worry, Misha lets out a dry chuckle when Melaina doesn't appear to be badly hurt... or melting or anything.

>>1050842
>>1050936
Jumping slightly at the answer to her question being cut off with a shout, the wright groans and grumpily approaches the now-open doorway, peering around DANI to see and figure out what has caused the commotion. She raises an eyebrow at the goatpeople shenanigans, especially concerned at the item being brandished by the one in the scrap pile. She surreptitiously starts drawing her own weapon from behind DANI.

"What's the plan, Security?"

The last is directed towards the AI, who seems to have some command of the situation.
>>
No. 1051078 ID: f57349

>>1050866
>rolled 8, 18
Marginal/mediocre result for diplomacy, decisive success at IDing the cypher. If activated, it would produce a cloud of butterflies made from animate ice who home in on nearby intense heat sources, blocking line-of-sight and rapidly extinguishing fires but presenting very little actual danger.

>>1050936
>rolled 20,
Spear aimed at DANI's chest is deflected with an open-handed parry, passing harmlessly just below her right armpit. Yank on the haft sends the margyr stumbling forward, left hand grabs a tuft of hair on his chest, lifts, and throws him back into the other spear-wielders, knocking two of them down.
>12,
They can't understand a word she's saying, but seem to figure out the broad strokes based on tone and gestures.
>10, 4
One of the other spearmen tags her right in the throat. When this fails to draw blood or even interrupt DANI's speech, there's visible shock.

Apparent leader carefully sets the fire extinguisher back down on the floor, then throws a blanket over the... happy couple, still unresponsive to anything but each other. Two spearmen are backing off while maintaining a defensive stance, another is applying crude first aid to the one DANI threw, who's sprawled out on the floor groaning - that patch of fur she grabbed and tore took some skin along with it. Last one is kneeling and chanting with his eyes tightly shut.
>>
No. 1051132 ID: 287555

rolled 17, 1, 10, 5, 4, 1, 18, 13, 14, 10, 5, 14, 11, 11, 1, 10, 3, 17, 8, 8 = 181

>>1051078
Okay, they're intimidated and they don't speak the Truth. That's okay, Melaina can handle this, charades is like shadow puppets, right? She's good at those.

The nano is going to try and, uh, negotiarade?, an end hostilities- peek our from behind DANI, friendly face, hand on the android's shoulder as if to hold her back, open palm towards the goat folk to show non-hostile intent. Just passing through, thank you for covering up... that. Let's spend 2 points on Intellect effort, too.

No dark matter, no need to spook em further.

The nano will nudge Misha. "Maybe help the one who got hurt, show them we aren't after them?"

>Last one is kneeling and chanting with his eyes tightly shut.
Sounds more like prayer than, say, a build up into an esotery, I hope?

No mushrooms coming up from behind, I hope?
>>
No. 1051267 ID: 04697a

rolled 12, 10, 20, 13, 9, 14, 10, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 15, 18, 8, 19, 2, 13, 3, 3 = 187

>>1051132
After a brief moment of deliberation, Misha heaves a sigh, nodding. "Alright alright."

She re-sheathes her dagger and emerges from behind DANI to approach the hurt goatman, along the way she spends a point of Intellect and Iotum on Right Tool for the Job to fashion an impromptu first-aid kit. She also makes sure to nab the patch of missing skin (that DANI presumably still has stuck to her hand) as she passes the AI.

Carefully holding up the makeshift medical tools and being as nonthreatening as possible, she'll scoot past the still-raised spears, then kneel down to examine and fix up the hurt margyr; antiseptic/anaesthetic gel and plasters to reattach and seal up the missing skin and soothe any other bumps or scrapes until the body can knit itself together. (2 trainings in healing + an asset from Right Tool)

The Wright's lack of bedside manner immediately resurfaces once she is done focusing on the task at hand, voice grumpy when she stands.
"Alright, boo-boos've been patched. Any further complaints; I'm gonna need to direct to yer mummy who should be able to do the requisite 'kissin it better'."
>>
No. 1051280 ID: 6377a3

rolled 1, 20, 1, 14, 1, 20, 16, 5, 20, 8, 7, 16, 18, 15, 4, 16, 9, 18, 3, 1 = 213

>>1051078
With a clear sense of why DANI doesn't exactly mind them having weapons established, she will give the still holding their weapons people a sharp look and point to the ground, and afterwards go over to the happy couple, placing the spears near by, and go in to pick them off the ground and pull them and the blanket in two, only to pick up the reinforcing bar spears and attempt to non-consensually fashion the blanket halves into a sort of covering garment by wrapping the spears around their body like a pretzel to hold the blanket in place.
>>
No. 1051287 ID: f57349

>>1051280
>rolled 1, 20, 1, 14, 1, 20
Process of separating and dressing the couple involves more torn-velcro noises and blood than expected, but otherwise achieves a swift and satisfactory result.

Apparent leader of the goat-people is outraged by this, howling and stabbing DANI though the back of the left knee. Core joint structure intact, but that's still five might damage, reduced to 2 by armor. The spearhead also slipped through the surrounding armored weave, overpenetrating far enough that it's now pinning her leg to the ground. Chief catches an elbow to the gut in response. He staggers away, disarmed and stunned.

>>1051267
>rolled 12, 10, 20
Turns out margyr crotch-parts involve more barbs than human equivalent, with a correspondingly slow and laborious procedure for safe disengagement, but femoral arteries are in approximately the same place. If there weren't a surgeon so close by, with just the right tools already in hand, one or both of the 'happy couple' likely would not have survived. Melaina manages to convey this information to the goat-people, positioning Misha as a benevolent force, balancing DANI's severity.

>>1051132
>rolled 17, 1
>No mushrooms coming up from behind, I hope?
Something did indeed follow you into the kite-shaped room. It's the size of two or three obese elephants fused end-to-end (easily wide enough to block the hallway) but has the texture - and eerie silence - of pillows or soap bubbles, with a movement pattern reminiscent of overflowing bread dough or some monstrous earthworm.

Praying margyr rises, sprints, dodging around Melaina, pivots and slides hooves-first under the conveyor belt just as the worm-blob is starting to crawl over it. Churning millipede legs lift him up into the mass of the beast he apparently summoned, then a puckered maw vomits him back out. From a resinous tether now anchored between his shoulderblades, coffee-colored smart-fluid flows, forming a thorny armored exoskeleton as if it were molten wax or metal filling an unseen mold.
>>
No. 1051297 ID: e5709d

rolled 10, 7, 1, 10, 9, 5, 4, 2, 8, 13, 19, 15, 5, 5, 5, 19, 3, 20, 2, 11 = 173

Ivori just finished coating her blade in a thin sheen of non-splattering sludge when the giant dough-fungus burst into the room she was in, forcing her to break concealment and run straight into the kite room.

>>1051287
Ivori quickly decides this encounter should have been evaded thirty seconds ago.
Ivori grabs Misha and escorts her to the left exit, giving it a quick scout for hazards before diving through and slamming the door behind them.
>>
No. 1051300 ID: f57349

>>1051297
Ivori leaves the dark, kite-shaped room with the conveyor belt and the exultant mycelimancer, flees through the brightly lit semicircular "inspector's lounge" where the margyr and most of the other PCs (and some piles of potentially salvageable debris) are, then departs via the wider of the two available exits, perpendicular to the way she came in.

Unfortunately it's an open archway, there's no door to slam. After dashing down that hall, Ivori reaches a room maybe 15 meters square. Floating in the center of that room, roughly the size and height of a human head, is a hole in space. Flickering aura around it leaves the room dimly lit.

Two other possible exits from there. To the left, a spherical room is visible, like an enormous inside-out pearl, but the way is blocked by a transparent panel - difficulty 5 intellect task to open it nonviolently.

Directly on the opposite side of the hole in space (relative to where you came in), another hallway, with narrow-beam lights set into the walls every few meters around shin height and a distant whirring-rotor sort of noise echoing from the far end.
>>
No. 1051387 ID: 4e0758

rolled 14, 5, 13, 5, 14, 15, 18, 5, 19, 15, 5, 11, 5, 16, 20, 16, 4, 17, 10, 7 = 234

>>1051287
Well, giant monsters attacking and swallowing visitors is in no way acceptable as of the "Guidelines to ensure minimum liability" and should be promptly dealt with as swiftly as possible. Spending 2 Might on an Effort to free herself from the rebar spear by snapping it in twain (coincidentally making it useless as a spear) before taking a sword that by all rights looks nigh impossible for a human to use and swinging it directly through the centipede monster.
>>
No. 1051396 ID: aa8cad

rolled 20, 1, 6, 13, 7, 11, 12, 1, 16, 19, 16, 2, 8, 2, 1, 9, 1, 19, 12, 12 = 188

Mel is starting to wonder if the explorers met the locals in the wrong order, though it's a little late to do anything about that.

In the mist of the chaos (Ivori running by, DANI breaking free) she gestures for the darkness to slow down the biggest apparent threat, dropping a casting of Ribbons of Dark Matter such that both mycelimancer and myceliminion are in the radius.

Let's ah, step back from Misha's patients so as to not loom over or be seen as threatening the injured, and stay well away from the two wary ones still standing with spears. Any furniture intact enough to act as cover in case one of them decides to try spear throwing again?
>>
No. 1051407 ID: e5709d

rolled 17, 17, 10, 11, 4, 7, 15, 5, 4, 20, 10, 16, 18, 10, 19, 9, 1, 3, 4, 3 = 203

As Ivori catches her breath, she realizes she yanked off one of Misha's articles of clothing instead of pulling her away from the margyr. A very... important article of clothing.

After pranking the door frame with said clothing, Ivori decides to open the pearl door to maximize the number of potential exits the party has - well, if they survive that goatshroom monster.

Lockpick the pearl door, Intellect (Effort 1)
>>
No. 1051410 ID: 04697a

rolled 5, 6, 18, 16, 17, 5, 6, 7, 16, 15, 19, 9, 19, 15, 15, 11, 11, 5, 8, 3 = 226

>>1051287
Stoically wading through her surprise introduction to margyr reproductive anatomy and the fixing thereof, Misha finishes her work and decides not to waste further words that won't be understood on her recent patients, starts eyeing the scarp pile.

"Now that nobody's bleeding out anymore, let's see if these guys have any other interesting trinkets lying aroun-"

>>1051297
>>1051300
>>1051407
Misha blinks as the awareness of unexpected airflow around her chest causes her to glance down, then stare deadpan daggers into the retreating Jack's back, tone flat and unamused.
"Asshole, the heck was that for?"

She turns, about to complain about whatever new nonsense caused this to happen but shuts up as soon as she claps eyes on the creeping blob monster. Her irritation and concern are quickly replaced with feverish wonder, however, at witnessing how it interacts with the mycelimancer, who she peppers with questions he's unlikely to be able to meaningfully answer.
"Whoa, wait that looks ingenious. Is that a construct in it's own right that's responding to and assisting ye or are ya just interfacing with the material directly?"

Caution (and decency) apparently some distant double digit on the list of things on her mind now, the wright approaches the hideous mass to experimentally prod and examine it.
>>
No. 1051431 ID: f57349

>>1051407
Stronglass panel slides out of the way with a soft pneumatic hiss, but there's no apparent other exit from the pearl room, just a skinless humanoid corpse laying in the center of the floor.
>>
No. 1051515 ID: f57349

>>1051396
Melaina evokes a mass of entangling shadows, then takes cover in the lounge, squeezed between a section of wall (next to the door she came in through) and a sturdy-looking boxy thing about one meter wide and two high.
>>1051387
DANI gets tangled in shadow ribbons, halfheartedly throws the broken length of rebar, but it gets deflected in midair.
Esculant worm pulls its front end out of the dark matter thicket, twisting to the left, slurps up the resinous tether just in time to yank mycelimancer out of DANI's melee range.
Once she wrestles through the snare herself, two mighty blows from DANI's sword cleave the worm in half lengthwise - or would have, if it were only the size of one elephant. It's at 12/22 health, one of the split ends is recongealing into a mouth to bite at her, while the other is gulping up boxes from the conveyor belt and advancing toward the mud spigot.
Meanwhile the mycelimancer's spear has been reconfigured into a rapid-fire pneumatic dart launcher.
>>1051410
Misha's exposed biomass manages to distract both beast and summoner: 3 damage from the first volley of darts, plus 5 from the worm's toothless bite, and will be taking five more damage per round while stuck to the fungal mass.
>rolled 18
>inability at understanding numenera
>trained at resisting pain
Process of having skin digested is unpleasant, but surprisingly productive from a scientific standpoint. What do you want to know?
>>1051396
Melaina's cover turns out to be a mostly intact vending machine which was, at some point, rotated to face the wall. Clear synth window shows an interior space filled with small items hanging on metal corkscrews. Interface panel chirps like a overstimulated songbird and displays glitchy scrolling text.
Seems to recognize her, and is attempting to make small talk as part of convincing her to buy things, but can't manage to spell her name the same way twice, and the offered news and gossip doesn't make any sense. Octarine hat locksmith found a zero day in the Un-Versity of Nibov's ethical calculus but they've issued a patch, courier cognomen "tusk" or something is nearby with your prescription medications.
Mechanically speaking, limited salvage can be attempted in combat time at the cost of 1d6 shins per roll - feed the machine something shiny and vaguely coin-shaped, see what it's willing to give you in exchange.
>>
No. 1051525 ID: 287555

rolled 4, 14, 9, 18, 6, 14, 5, 3, 1, 18, 4, 15, 9, 6, 3, 9, 14, 17, 15, 11 = 195

>>1051515
Well, um, it couldn't hurt, and it would be rude to say no, right? And shopping is supposed to be good for the soul, maybe. It's a little awkward to maneuver between the wall and the machine, but Mel will manage.

Rolling for shin-funded salvage!
>>
No. 1051526 ID: 287555

rolled 4 = 4

>>1051525
And rolling 1d6 for shins.
>>
No. 1051527 ID: 6377a3

rolled 1, 3, 16, 5, 14, 5, 13, 15, 7, 12, 19, 13, 10, 15, 16, 10, 3, 15, 18, 5 = 215

>>1051515
Well, still at 16/20 Might, going to power through and keep whacking the damn flesh monster, slicing and dicing until it does, not willing to push herself further until a certified technician was available to do repairs.
>>
No. 1051528 ID: f57349

>>1051525
>rolled 4, 14
There's a sad-sounding beep, and the scrolling text says something about "invalid selection." Second attempt gets you two identical pint-sized cans of... well, you're not exactly sure yet. Exterior is aluminum, pull-tab to open. Weighs a kilogram each, so whatever's inside must be averaging about twice as dense as water.

Luridly colorful painted-on label has lots of writing in some unfamiliar language, but also a prominent stylized image of a praying mantis eating meat off the disarticulated leg-bone of some animal much larger than itself.
>>
No. 1051639 ID: 287555

rolled 7, 13, 14, 3, 4, 10, 4, 3, 3, 12, 18, 16, 4, 1, 14, 13, 12, 11, 15, 4 = 181

Huh. Mantis chow? Nutritional supplements? Mel's sure that will come in handy eventually! Thank you, datasphere songbird sales-automaton.

Peeking out from behind cover, the Nano takes note of Misha's plight, stuck to a fungal worm that seems to have dissolved clothing and has starting working on what lies underneath. The nano responds with an Onslaught of shadows, attempting to knock wright and worm apart. Preventing a teammate from melting seems important, so she'll spend 3 points on Intellect Effort.
>>
No. 1051662 ID: e5709d

rolled 17, 20, 7, 19, 12, 20, 17, 17, 2, 9, 14, 4, 16, 10, 14, 8, 10, 11, 17, 20 = 264

Ivori stares at the mummified corpse in silent respect.

Then she takes out her tanto and ensures they're dead, stabbing the corpse through the jaw and into the brain cavity (using up the poison charge), followed by repeated stabs through the neck before ripping the head off.
>>
No. 1051775 ID: 04697a

rolled 8, 18, 3, 4, 8, 4, 5, 17, 15, 12, 4, 3, 17, 10, 8, 18, 8, 3, 14, 9 = 188

>>1051515
"OW, FUCK!"
Misha bites back a scream as she experiences a number of fascinatingly and complex biochemical
processes that the creature has to offer in a way most never consider: directly.

>>1051527
>>1051639
Not that it doesn't yield results; gritting her teeth she puts her mind towards using this abrupt connection as well as her allies' attempts to help as an opportunity to leverage the creature somewhat, attempting to make it release it's grip on everything it is touching which if successful should both free herself and perhaps also sever the connection it has with the Margyr Nano, even if only temporarily (using 3 points of intellect on effort for the attempt)

If she manages to get free she'll try to put as much distance and cover between herself and the hostiles as possible, hissing curses under her breath all the while.
>>
No. 1051955 ID: f57349

>>1051775
>rolled 8
Misha pulls away from the engulfing fungal mass, but it stretches like bubblegum. Motile digestive pattern seems to be preferentially targeting blood vessels (rather than nerves, wires, bone, or muscle), and the main mass of the thing clearly had an aversive reaction to the shadow-thicket, so Misha grabs a stray strand of dark matter. Threaded through a shunt near her elbow, shadowstuff infiltrates the veins of her engulfed limb.

>>1051639
>rolled 7, 13
Finding this red soup suddenly foul, and its feeding pseudopod under attack, the worm lets go.

>rolled 18, 3
Misha slips the dark matter strand back out of her forearm and sprints toward the light spilling through the lounge door. Still catches another 3 damage pneumatic dart before finding herself standing alongside Melaina once again, short of breath and bleeding in several places but mostly functional.

>>1051527
>rolled 1, 3, 16, 5, 14, 5, 13, 15
DANI methodically hacks the worm to pieces. Some of it splashes, clogging a tertiary heat vent - two more Might damage past armor - and a lucky hit from a dart unravels the tensile element of her heavy crossbow, but the main mass of the fungal beast is inert and visibly decomposing. Only portion still alive, attached to the mycelimancer's shoulder tether, is apparently crawling up inside the mud spigot.
So, DANI and the mycelimancer are both standing atop the conveyor belt, having a surprisingly close approximation of a formal duel. Mycelimancer's spear and darts mostly can't penetrate DANI's armor, and while DANI's sword can reliably inflict bruises and scratches through that smart-fluid shell (damage 7 vs. armor 5), the margyr sorcerer-priest apparently has some sort of rapid healing factor in there too. Shell seems like it won't last more than another few minutes... but that might be long enough for a competent or lucky nano to come up with a new plan. Or, given how the day's been so far, possibly for something else completely unrelated to go wrong.

>>1051662
>rolled 17, 20
Crude autopsy reveals that it isn't mummified. Still pretty juicy, in fact. Margyr, dead within the past few days but hasn't decayed much due to a cold and sterile environment. Entire skin removed pre-mortem but surprisingly few other injuries. Cause of death was exsanguination, yet there's barely any puddle on the pearlescent floor, and major blood vessels in all the obvious places are intact - or they were until Ivori crafted a grisly, yet expertly articulated, hand-puppet. Even figured out ways to make the tongue and eyes move.
>>
No. 1052132 ID: 287555

rolled 19, 15, 13, 14, 5, 19, 7, 16, 14, 14, 16, 16, 20, 13, 15, 17, 18, 5, 9, 20 = 285

Melaina doesn't have a chance to be embarrassed by Misha's joining her hiding place in a state of undress, as the wright being partially digested is a lot more attention-grabbing. DANI seems to be holding her own, applying some first aid seems prudent!

Hedge magic might be able to help clean slime off of things, there was cloth in here that could be used for bandages, right? Uh, hedge magic might be needed to clean those too. Fortunately (if we can say that), Misha already doing surgery earlier, and this is bleeding as badly.
>>
No. 1052167 ID: f57349

>>1052132
Six damage healed, any potentially infectious slime removed, and available clothes reallocated between the two of you. Resulting outfits aren't particularly stylish, but at least cover the essentials and look reasonably intentional.
>>
No. 1052237 ID: 04697a

rolled 20, 6, 8, 9, 20, 13, 5, 19, 4, 19, 17, 1, 12, 18, 4, 19, 15, 9, 8, 10 = 236

>>1051955
Panting, Misha starts pulling darts from her flesh and looking for some appropriate tools for cleaning and patching her injuries-

>>1052132
-but Melaina has her covered, (literally too after some cloth trading). With a relieved sigh the Wright gives the Nano a small but grateful smile.
"Much obliged, was almost worried fr'a sec there."

She casts a furtive glance back towards the ongoing battle, grimacing at the state now being one of attrition. A detail catches her eye however; the main mass of the fungus beast may be lying in inert heaps but the tether to the margyr nano is still active, now dangling from the sludge dispenser.

Risking getting shot again, Misha peeks from behind cover and shouts out to the robot, even pointing, to dubiously helpful effect.
"Oi, Security! Th'bloody monster is still connected to yer dance partner, sever that line if you can!"

Ducking back into cover, she turns to Melaina.
"Alright I'm not gonna be much use in what's left of the fight as things stands, I'm gonna go see of that pile o' parts has anything that might change that. Yell if things get worse."

With that she scoots off to see if she can quickly scrounge up anything useful from the pile of scrap from earlier.
>>
No. 1052238 ID: f57349

>>1052237
Salvage successful: seven shins, four units of Parts, and a surprisingly lightweight device almost exactly the size and shape of a bowling ball. You realize it's a potent nonlethal energy weapon, but will only function in total darkness.

The other margyr seem to have gathered up most of their stuff and departed through a different exit than the one Ivori took.
>>
No. 1052239 ID: 287555

rolled 4, 1, 11, 1, 13, 19, 2, 6, 8, 2, 18, 16, 7, 17, 17, 11, 6, 16, 1, 11 = 187

Melania peeks out from behind cover to see how the rest of the abhumans are faring.

>The other margyr seem to have gathered up most of their stuff and departed through a different exit than the one Ivori took.
On the one hand, she's relieved it looks like there won't be more fighting coming from that direction, but on the other hand, it's kind of rude of them to leave their friend behind isn't it? Then again, on the dark matter tentacle, it's good to see the injured are apparently well enough to move.

The nano wonders if she should tell the mycelimancer he's being left behind (maybe that would get him to withdraw as well?) but then she remembers they don't share a language and she's probably not going to be able to get him to focus on charades while concentrating on a duel. Best to try and stop things before anyone else gets hurt.

>"Oi, Security! Th'bloody monster is still connected to yer dance partner, sever that line if you can!"
Well, DANI is occupied trying to hit a moving target that can defend itself and strike back, but the tether is a stationary target, or at least the end of it coming out of the goo-dispenser is.

"Hiya!" From her cover, Melania strikes out at the tether with a dark matter onslaught, applying a level of Effort to increase damage.
>>
No. 1052246 ID: f57349

>>1052239
Bolt of dark matter misses the tether, but then bends in midair and turns back for another pass. Mycelimancer reaches to catch it, but steps in a sludge-filled box at exactly the wrong moment. Orbiting shadowbolt elongates into a helix, tightening around the resinous tether. Once it snaps, the fight's over.

DANI has her blade's edge in contact with the margyr sorcerer-priest's neck, remaining smart-fluid armor too unstable to effectively interfere. Now what?
>>
No. 1052292 ID: aa8cad

rolled 4, 13, 19, 6, 10, 16, 11, 2, 8, 5, 7, 10, 16, 6, 18, 15, 20, 17, 13, 1 = 217

"Are you all right?" Melaina calls out to their mechanical companion as the fighting comes to stop, and the ribbons of shadow-stuff fade.

The Nano will also stick her head out the door Ivori (seemingly) left through and call out that it's safe now, and she can come back. Though it's possible the Jack's already here, somewhere. She's sneaky like that. If she doesn't show up they'll have to go looking for her.

Any salvage points left in the office? Misha's already seen to the fungus monster and Mel's already fed shins into the vending machine (she's not sure she has enough coin to go again- had to dip into what Ivori salvaged the first time. But maybe the others are willing to take a spin?). Did the margyr leave anything notable behind in their hurry, like a map, supplies, or that fire-supression numenera?
>>
No. 1052299 ID: e5709d

rolled 6, 2, 2, 1, 16, 14, 9, 8, 14, 15, 12, 5, 17, 4, 7, 7, 6, 6, 11, 12 = 174

"...Don't go left."
Ivori appears right behind Misha.
It took some time to wrap and store the meat puppet in her pack. But there was enough to climb the walls and land softly behind Misha.

Ivori does some light scavenging while the party waits, looking for jewelry or crafting materials rather than anything particularly valuable.
>>
No. 1052302 ID: 04697a

>>1052238
Grinning, Misha scoops up the goodies and carefully hefts the techno-orb, into something roughly resembling a grip she can aim with.

>>1052246
Having found an artifact that looks like it can be used like a weapon, Misha whirls, eager now to get back into the fray and thinking of ways to activate the device.

>>1052292
>>1052299
Not only for the fight to already be over but also to bump directly into Ivori mid sneak, causing the Wright to jump.
"Gah! Oh for the love of- where did you come from, or slink off to in the first place?"

Not even waiting for a reply, she frowns and adds:
"-And where's m'damn chestwrap?"
>>
No. 1052304 ID: e5709d

>>1052302
"..."
Ivori looks down to see that the chestwrap fell off the support she hung it from. Strange, she could have sworn it was a crude leather bra...

Ivori picks up the wrappings and gingerly binds Misha's bust back together.
Gingerly, because she takes care to prevent Misha from realizing Ivori wrote "My fetishes include [CENSORED]" on the portions that are seen from the back.
>>
No. 1052359 ID: f57349

>>1052292
>>1052299
You don't find maps, valuables, or the fire-suppression cypher. Looks like the margyr took the best stuff they knew about along with them. There's a wicker basket full of questionably-fresh fruit, clear synth bag wrapped around the outside, sitting in the middle of the hallway they departed through, apparently positioned as an offering.

Pile of junk near the couches is a level 4 salvage source, but it has already been successfully salvaged once (for the bowling ball) so subsequent attempts are hindered. Neither of you beat the difficulty, but Ivori still manages to find a unit of parts, including a spool of copper wire and some glassy bits that could be recycled into cheap jewelry. Assorted furniture, laundry, and garbage (blurry lines between those here) could be harvested as raw materials for appropriate commonplace crafting projects, provided you're willing to work at it for hours and don't mind the smell of goat.
>>
No. 1052456 ID: 6377a3

rolled 6, 9, 11, 1, 5, 8, 8, 10, 12, 16, 12, 19, 18, 2, 4, 17, 15, 2, 17, 1 = 193

>>1052246
Well, it might be that Lethal force is authorized because of malfunctions in in-built non-lethal combat systems built for containing belligerents. However, this is one of the many reasons for which there might be to build a sentient robot for all of your security needs, as DANI would grab the snapped rebar spear and twist it like a pretzel into a make shift pair of hand-cuffs, tying the goat person's hands behind his back and leaves him where he is as she calls over her (not actually connected to anything functional anymore) radio for another officer for processing so she can go about continuing her existing duties.

> "Are you all right?" Melaina calls out to their mechanical companion as the fighting comes to stop, and the ribbons of shadow-stuff fade.

"Maintenance of active combat systems are designated as due for service before further deployment."
>>
No. 1052457 ID: f57349

>>1052456
Crafted restraints are level 3, and prevent the gestures needed for esotery use, so mycelimancer is only level 2 for purposes of escape attempts and thus will not be succeeding without outside help. Can still stand and walk but only an immediate distance per round.
Apparently knows a few garbled words of Truth, calling out as you start to leave: "I am lost and taken! To whom [wedded/welded]? When is my name?"
>>
No. 1052499 ID: e5709d

rolled 15, 16, 14, 4, 16, 14, 20, 19, 20, 7, 9, 17, 3, 13, 1, 14, 13, 9, 3, 5 = 232

>>1052457
>Defeat means Marriage
Ivori immediately zips back through the doorway and to the exit she found to the right before the others even think about choosing her.

Her morbid taxidermy of the corpse has washed her blade clean of toxins. She concentrates and re-poisons her tanto. (intellect)

Finally, she concentrates and looks into the next area for anything scarier than a goat-fungus monster asking her hand in marriage.
>>
No. 1052509 ID: f57349

>>1052499
Hallway with the shin-high narrow-beam lights continues for about thirty meters. There's a dark passage to the left near the halfway point. The whirring noise is coming from up ahead.

A triangular space, roughly as large as the lounge or pearl room, has several dead-and-gutted machines, and one that still functions: an arch over the only other exit, with dozens of articulated metal arms coiled inside. It's high and wide enough to drive a wagon through...
>rolled 15
...but will probably do something surgical to anyone or anything passing under it.

>marriage
>rolled 16
The sorcerer-priest isn't actually expecting to marry any specific individual, just to be integrated into your tribe, initially as a low-status worker, after having been captured in a raid.
>>
No. 1052535 ID: dbf584

rolled 12, 17, 20, 19, 19, 12, 10, 11, 9, 4, 12, 12, 16, 12, 15, 16, 1, 2, 16, 2 = 237

>"Maintenance of active combat systems are designated as due for service before further deployment."
"We might be better off finding a more secure location first? We upset the previous occupants of this room, who still know where we are, and it's still pretty close to that biohazard you mentioned. And the chopped up fungusaur."

>There's a wicker basket full of questionably-fresh fruit, clear synth bag wrapped around the outside, sitting in the middle of the hallway they departed through, apparently positioned as an offering.
How thoughtful! One fruit basket, get.

>Apparently knows a few garbled words of Truth, calling out as you start to leave: "I am lost and taken! To whom [wedded/welded]? When is my name?"
>The sorcerer-priest isn't actually expecting to marry any specific individual, just to be integrated into your tribe, initially as a low-status worker, after having been captured in a raid.
Melaina brightens. "Oh, we can do an induction ceremony! We didn't do anything for DANI, so can do both at once."

Community rituals seem like they'd fall under a nano's purview, and they definitely fall under positive social interaction. Hedge magic could be used (changing color and appearance) of some of the debris around here to make some colorful temporary decorations, and she can say a blessing under the light of the silmaril.
>>
No. 1052537 ID: e5709d

rolled 4 + 1 = 5

As the android is busy... getting married to a stuffed mushroom... nope, Ivori's mind can't handle the stupid.

She sits on the muddy dirt, centering her thoughts and recalling one of her classic pranks:

Seven years ago, Ivori was busy reaming the rafters of a duke's mansion while Embri was mingling below at the lavish party. The garish aristocrat had giant white letters spelling out (in disgustingly inaccurate and superfluous terms) his egotistic achievements held in place with a series of simple pulleys, all made out of materials meant for the local city's defensive artifact regimen of tanks, resources that were stolen in the night and never reclaimed. Then Ivori spotted a witty opportunity.
Acting quickly, she placed cakes and candies from the staff's hazardously placed break 'room' on specific ropes, taking care not to pull down the letters herself. When the duke's and his guests' spoiled brats poured in two hours later, they quickly discovered the sweets and impulsively pulled down the ropes connected to the candies and cakes and those specific letters and pulled them all down. According to Embri, one girl in particular, wearing a red feather headdress for some reason, latched on to her rope and rubbed herself all over it. With the letters removed, the nobles gasped in abject horror at the new, grotesquely teenage phrase scrawled over high quality 7th-age military steel:
"[I'm Lard Swiney Mactoddler, and this is my favorite brothel in the city.]"
There were unjust executions. They made assassinating the duke oh-so-easy.


She wonders what happened to that little songbird. Oh well.
>>
No. 1052728 ID: 04697a

rolled 11, 16, 10, 16, 1, 19, 5, 20, 13, 17, 10, 4, 8, 11, 20, 18, 20, 13, 14, 14 = 260

>>1052304
Looking incredibly put-upon, Misha nonetheless grudgingly accepts the assistance in replacing the swiped garment, unaware of the new 'design' on the back.

>>1052457
The wright scowls at hearing some Truth come from the now-captive Margyr, starting to grumble to nobody in particular.
"Oh now 'e understands us. I see how it is. Y'try and ask some genuine questions about an interesting new material and get it sicced on ye, but clap the same bloody goat in irons and suddenly it's it's all pet names and binding oaths."

She sits herself down near the others and starts working the broken Trail Blazer's mechanical components from her heel, still grumbling but now almost entirely to herself.
"What the heck was I thinking? 'Hey guys I got th'portal installation workin', let's just do a quick scouting expedition! Anything goes wrong we just use this panic button cypher to zip right back. In and Out, 20 minutes adventure. tops.' Genius. Don't take any of yer better workshop tools or materials or even any protective gear, nooo, it's just a quick peek after all, grab whatever."

>>1052535
"Well since it looks like we're together for the long haul..."

Finally detaching the broken cypher's mechanism, she set it to the side, raising her voice and pointing to the Margyr.
"Oi, numpty, y'know anything useful about this place or was the mushroom also the brains'o the operation?"

At the mention of the last she gives a little glance to the spigot for any sign of the creature returning.
>>
No. 1052851 ID: f57349

>>1052535
Melaina arranges debris into a ceremonial circle, cleanses ill scents from the air and tweaks the spectrum of ambient light, then teaches the group a song. First few passes are a struggle just to remember the elegant-sounding but deeply foreign lyrics while staying in tune, then something clicks and it all comes together. Initially simple melody is repeated, offset, folded over itself to spontaneously interlock in dozens of harmonious variations, almost as if one mind had five voices.

After an hour of that, along with a (mildly intoxicating) shared meal and ordinary stuff like introductions, the group's cohesion has greatly improved.

>>1052728
>y'know anything useful about this place
This room is the edge of the territory of a larger community of margyr. Or, rather, it was - clearly you've staked a claim on it now, remains to be seen where the new border will end up. Mycelimancer attributes much of his former tribe's success to their control of a pair of pre-existing numenera installations, the "geyser of shameful weakness" and the "gate of eventually," which enabled... something to do with internal dispute resolution and an unassailable defense against raids by rival groups. Limited shared vocabulary means you're definitely missing a lot of important cultural context.

They've never been able to open the door you came through, not once across several generations of living memory. Quite a bit of mythology built up around it. Some of those stories were validated, others called into question, and new ones will soon be told. Personal participation in history has filled him with a roiling blend of gratitude, awe, and terror.

Down the other path, where Ivori scouted, are three machines of significance. The first will allow humble petitioners to pass, but none have fought it and lived. The second is harmless, even beneficial for those willing to learn. The third is vigilant and vindictive, inflicting some unspeakable disfigurement which is beyond the margyr tribe's ability to fix - which, if you're understanding right, somehow puts it in a worse category than actual severed limbs and some types of brain and spinal cord damage. Results are very consistent, though, not capricious like the Iron Wind.
>>
No. 1052938 ID: 6377a3

rolled 3, 12, 5, 4, 18, 12, 14, 5, 7, 16, 4, 5, 17, 20, 9, 9, 6, 9, 11, 8 = 194

>>1052851
DANI has personally little intentions on taking the Margyr as a prisoner, initially intending to just have other security personnel come to handle escorting them off site. However, with evidence that this is apparently something of a lingering infestation of people, as opposed to anything particularly small, that seems more and more unlikely.

However, from the poetic and tribal descriptions of the installations, does DANI know anything about these so called geyser of shameful weakness or Gate of Eventuality, or the devices discovered by Ivori?

Also, while DANI is willing to abide by the strange ritual and participate even if she doesn't particularly understand it, she is alas unable to eat or feel intoxicated on account of still being a robot.
>>
No. 1052940 ID: f57349

>>1052938
>on account of still being a robot.
>rolled 3
No organic neurochemistry for ethanol-tainted overripe fruit to engage with, but DANI somehow manages to get a little bit buzzed just by thinking too hard about the music.

>does DANI know anything about these so called geyser of shameful weakness
Sounds like it's producing anagathic gel. Flask the size of a tennis ball sells on the black market for (last you heard) at least five times as much as a baseline human could save up in a decade of moderately-skilled hard labor, so theft is... a concern, to put it mildly.
>or Gate of Eventuality,
No data.
>or the devices discovered by Ivori?
That's just the mail room. Envelope sorters, skate courier maintenance, that sort of thing. Should be fairly harmless, short of absurdly idiotic industrial accidents like, say, somebody sticking their bare hand in the risk-of-hazmat unboxer.
>>
No. 1052947 ID: dbf584

rolled 10, 1, 9, 8, 11, 8, 6, 10, 5, 14, 16, 15, 20, 9, 1, 14, 8, 12, 10, 19 = 206

>what do
Okay, bonding complete, let's explore down the path Ivori scouted.

First room past, uh, Inspector Li's Lounge. Any notable changed since any of us last laid eyes on it in >>1051300 ?

>Floating in the center of that room, roughly the size and height of a human head, is a hole in space.

So the mycelimancer describes this device as allowing person to pass, but none have fought it and lived. But as DANI remembers... this is part of a communication apparatus?

Understanding numenera check, I think. Observation only, no poking the void that leaves no survivors.
>>
No. 1052948 ID: f57349

>>1052947
Tossing a small piece of fruit into the hole (from a respectful distance) sees it sucked in, only to reappear and drop to the floor a moment later over in the 'pearl room,' minus the peel and most of the juice.
>>
No. 1052949 ID: e5709d

rolled 16, 6, 20, 10, 15, 11, 13, 9, 11, 19, 15, 7, 5, 1, 9, 3, 12, 19, 14, 13 = 228

Internally, Ivori chafes from her sore throat. What the hell was that incantation? She hasn't said so many words in a day since she was caught by a drunk guard and forced to sing along with her sister in an impromptu flash mob musical.
That... might have bonded her to the very person she has considered assassinating. Pity. A contract this mysteriously profitable only comes once a decade, regardless of whether or not it is trustworthy. Ivori is a professional - but will that stop her from retrieving her advance pay, stored in various dead drops? Most likely, unfortunately.

>Mail Room
Perhaps there's an answer to be found in the abrupt deceleration of communications.
Ivori attempts to access the mail archive's last packet of non-emergency messages, to get a general idea of what kind of cataclysm caused the plant to shut down entirely.
>>
No. 1052981 ID: f57349

>>1052949
Looks like some of the gutted machines in the triangular room may have originally been used for sorting mail, while another used a combination of magnetic coils and compressed air to propel small packages through tubes inside the walls.

Aided by DANI's description of the room's original function, Ivori obtains a plan seed, and an oddity: a postcard with text in an unfamiliar language on one side, photorealistic image filling the other. Picture conveys an illusion of depth, and by looking at it from different angles you can actually see things which were out of frame in the straight-on view. Focus is three humanoids bearing a family resemblance to DANI, posing around an inactive Dread Destroyer.

At least a day or two of work to turn the seed concept into a ready-to-use plan, and probably a week per set to build, but once you do here's what it will be:

EXPRESS TUBE
Minimum Crafting Level: 2
Kind: Installation
Iotum: Io (1d6 units); responsive synth (10 units); synthsteel (1 unit); mimetic gel (4 units)
Parts: 20 units
Specifications: This plan produces two 3-foot (1 m) cubes of synth and metal connected by a synth tube up to 1 mile (1.5 km) long, as well as five synth canisters about 20 inches (50 cm) long and 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter. A canister placed in one of the cubes is transported along the synth tube at about 30 miles per hour (50 kph) and arrives at the other cube. There are switching stations along the length of the cube that allow canisters to pass each other in either direction. The tubes are usually buried or elevated to keep them out of the way of human activity.
Connecting multiple express tubes together creates a transportation network with controls on the cubes directing each canister to the correct end point.
Depletion: 1 in d20 (check per month of use)
>>
No. 1053013 ID: dbf584

rolled 17, 12, 5, 20, 17, 10, 15, 3, 17, 17, 18, 7, 4, 8, 3, 16, 15, 20, 3, 8 = 235

>>1052948
In her current state of mild inebriation, Melaina finds this very funny. A fruit peeler!

>>1052981
So this would be the machine the mycelimancer "harmless, even beneficial for those willing to learn." A means of transmitting messages at a distance could have been very useful (what with being lost and all) but if the equipment is gutted, it probably can't help us much without repairs. (Similarly, sounds like local value for salvage has probably been exhausted). The plan seed sounds useful, though!

Looking onto the next area then...

>>1052509
The "vigilant and vindictive" numenera the mycelimancer warned of is in the direction of the triangular space and the whirring noise, yes?

>Hallway with the shin-high narrow-beam lights continues for about thirty meters. There's a dark passage to the left near the halfway point.
Let's check the less-reportedly-deadly side passage first. Anything show up in the dark if Mel takes her light-on-a-stick in?
>>
No. 1053038 ID: f57349

>>1053013
>The "vigilant and vindictive" numenera the mycelimancer warned of is in the direction of the triangular space and the whirring noise, yes?
>rolled 17
Yes. It's actually the source of the whirring noise, and the only other large-enough-to-be-useful exit from that room passes through its engagement range.
>Let's check the less-reportedly-deadly side passage first. Anything show up in the dark if Mel takes her light-on-a-stick in?
>rolled 12, 5, 20
First thing you see is an image of yourself, earlier, walking down the hallway past those knee-high lights. It moves as you did but more slowly, and in intervals of shadow your two-minute-younger self's skeleton is dimly visible, as if bones were glowing through the flesh.
Stepping forward seemingly brings that image no closer, even as you break into a run. Keeps looping back to the start of the hallway, just before you turned to enter that side passage. For a few nightmarish moments it seems like you're trapped in some kaleidoscopic temporal anomaly.

Then you trip and faceplant onto the treadmill.

With better light, it's revealed as a six-meter-wide room full of display screens and exercise equipment. Recordings from the hallway could reveal the subtlest details of how somebody walks or otherwise moves, providing valuable insight toward teaching them to do so more efficiently.
>>
No. 1053097 ID: e5709d

rolled 19, 16, 15, 6, 6, 15, 13, 11, 18, 20, 15, 19, 13, 6, 6, 19, 20, 10, 1, 3 = 251

>>1053038
Ivori appears at the other end of the treadmill. Nope, she didn't do anything at all. No ma'am.
As opposed to Melania's touch-and-go approach, Ivori tentatively climbs her way across the area, then gracefully lands at the control room and glances at the machine's diagnostic of her abnormal exercise routine.

Attempt to understand numenera, no effort.
>>
No. 1053100 ID: 04697a

rolled 10, 14, 2, 3, 5, 9, 8, 19, 16, 13, 15, 3, 17, 10, 11, 10, 16, 5, 14, 14 = 214

>>1052851
The impromptu ceremony of food, singing and mild inebriation manage to soften much of Misha's bitterness towards the Margyr nano, helped by the discussion of multiple working numenera installations, that they are able to operate no less, catching her interest. In a minor symbolic gesture of bridges mended, she gives the Mycelimancer one of her Cyphers; an invisibility nodule, to look after and make use of (totally not just because she has no use for the dang thing)

Thus relieved and surrounded by parts and tools, she sets to work on developing a mounting that would allow the recently-discovered Stunner to be more easily and consistently used (settling on an arm-cannon style design), spacing out lamentations of not having the better equipment of her lab with more questions fired at the group's new companion.

"Internal conflict resolution and unassailable defence from external threats definitely sounds like a good setup you have goin'. What do these installations actually do? Also come t'think of it, minor tangent, but what d'you lot do for sustenance?"
>>
No. 1053296 ID: dbf584

rolled 18, 12, 4, 6, 14, 3, 4, 4, 17, 9, 5, 18, 5, 9, 19, 8, 10, 8, 17, 10 = 200

>>1052981
>Focus is three humanoids bearing a family resemblance to DANI, posing around an inactive Dread Destroyer.
"Hm. You know these people, DANI?"

>>1053038
>visible skeleton scanner
The nano is pretty curious what their mechanical companion looks like under that one.

1053038
>[The "vigilant and vindictive" numenera is] the source of the whirring noise, and the only other large-enough-to-be-useful exit from that room passes through its engagement range.
"So is this one part of the mail-delivery system gone feral too? Or's it security on purpose."
Does it look like there's a control panel or any kind of interface or... anything in the dangerous room, outside of danger-door's reach? Presumably its operators would have needed a way to pass through safely, though if we're unlucky, the controls are on the other side. (Short of turning it off, we might be able to try breaking it from across the room, but our android probably takes a dim view on vandalism).
>>
No. 1053367 ID: 6377a3

rolled 9, 16, 6, 9, 18, 18, 2, 5, 12, 16, 7, 12, 15, 17, 4, 6, 2, 9, 8, 11 = 202

>>1053296
> "Hm. You know these people, DANI?"

"Not particularly more than I imagine you recognize any human at sight. Actually, maybe you would recognize humans by sight since obviously you lack proper IFF tags. Any visual distinction between units is actually entirely for the sake of human psychological reasons, since any important information and short wave radio transmissions can be automatically scanned by any two units in proximity, but early user data revealed that having multiple identical units at any given installation was 'unsettling' for some reason."

It might be just the relative intoxication talking, but there seemed to be an iota of pride in the description of her capabilities.


>>1053038
Well, it's probably for the best to look over it as well. Even if she winds up not being able to discern exactly what this piece of equipment was for, there should be an E-Stop somewhere on both sides for safety reasons if passing through the machine in active use is truly as dangerous as it has been reported.
>>
No. 1053368 ID: 6377a3

Also, I am spending 4 experience on Might Edge 2
>>
No. 1053369 ID: f57349

>>1053367
DANI walks up to the whirring archway. Articulated limbs whip out, grab her by the ankles, lift her about a handspan off the floor, and after thirty seconds of cleaning and mending around her boots, set her gently back down. There's a brassy chime to indicate the task's completion. She finds it deeply reassuring that at least something around here is still working normally.
>>
No. 1053370 ID: 6377a3

rolled 17, 7, 8, 14, 8, 9, 17, 20, 10, 7, 15, 20, 11, 2, 7, 9, 17, 14, 18, 9 = 239

>>1053369
Excellent, the danger mostly comes from people not adhering to local dress codes, as opposed to anything actually wrong with machines. Though violating clean room procedures will pose a problem for getting them out.

Well, might as well check out the conveyer belt treadmill thing as well, while we're here.
>>
No. 1053504 ID: dbf584

rolled 9, 1, 10, 7, 20, 3, 6, 8, 13, 16, 11, 5, 17, 18, 1, 17, 6, 17, 10, 18 = 213

Well, if it's an android repair bay, that certainly explains why it's attempts to "repair" other people have gone so wrong in the past.

"Ah, wait, DANI, is there a path on the other side, or is it a dead end?"

If there's no exit beyond that installation we'll have to find a different path (down the way the magyr went, or back where we first showed up). But if there is, we can still try and figure out how to turn it off / get by safely.
>>
No. 1053505 ID: f57349

>>1053504
Maybe fifteen meters past the whirring archway there's a four-way intersection, so at least three possible routes.

Mycelimancer says previous exploration down that way usually just skipped past it with various sorts of short-range teleportation.
>>
No. 1053521 ID: e5709d

Ivori opts to train herself with some light exercise. After multiple runs showing the flaws in her silent step and balancing, a small pamphlet ejects from the analysis machine, giving a succinct summary of what Ivori needs to correct and future exercises to improve. Ivori memorizes the pamphlet, practicing its routine, and finds that her stealth stance and general athletics are already noticeably faster.
(4XP: Movement Disability -> Movement Standard)
>>
No. 1053560 ID: f57349

>>1053370
DANI points out a pair of closet-sized rooms in the back corners of the exercise area: a shower and a latrine. Shower's temperature can be adjusted, and supplemented by ultrasound emitters which massage sore muscles while scrubbing off particulates. Unfortunately, the water includes some alkaline de-greaser which makes it nauseously non-potable. Smells pleasant, at least.

Four hours after you first arrived, three simultaneous problems:
1) Improvised wedge slips loose from holding the door that needed Director Lee's palmprint to open. Door starts to close.

2) Misha and the mycelimancer have a little over half the parts and materials needed to start building a case for the stun ray, were gathering the remainder by cutting apart boxes from the conveyor belt and sifting through the worm's remains.
When Misha started to get up, in a rush to catch the door, sudden shortness of breath, dizziness, narcolepsy.

3) Three human-sized figures in grungy all-concealing cloaks or robes are shuffling out of the dark hallways, toward the whirring arch.
>>
No. 1053700 ID: dbf584

rolled 3, 9, 20, 17, 17, 13, 20, 16, 2, 16, 5, 9, 11, 18, 19, 3, 13, 17, 9, 4 = 241

>Shower's temperature can be adjusted, and supplemented by ultrasound emitters which massage sore muscles while scrubbing off particulates.
Siiiinging in the soooonic shoooooower~

Well, can't spend 4 hours on that. Maybe spend some of the downtime on another attempt to understand the repair arch, this time with an asset from Melaina's book? Must be some way to turn it off or get by it safely.

>3) Three human-sized figures in grungy all-concealing cloaks or robes are shuffling out of the dark hallways, toward the whirring arch.
"Hello?" The nano calls out towards the approaching figures. "Be careful, that arch is dangerous!"
>>
No. 1053766 ID: 04697a

rolled 7, 20, 13, 9, 4, 10, 9, 12, 11, 2, 11, 18, 17, 2, 14, 6, 5, 16, 7, 1 = 194

>>1053560
Getting somewhat lost in her newest little project and the gathering of materials for it, Misha is caught totally offguard by the door's sudden starting to close.

With a startled yelp she scrambles to her feet, already planning to quickly improvise a device with Right tool for the Job for either ensuring the door remains open or reopening it, but when her first hurried step towards it results in the room lurching, a call for aid is strangled in it's inception as she has to fight to remain conscious, putting Might effort into pushing through the waves of nausea and fatigue to not get cut off from the others.
>>
No. 1053778 ID: e5709d

rolled 15, 12, 3, 8, 12, 1, 5, 3, 4, 15, 8, 12, 11, 14, 13, 18, 18, 16, 11, 11 = 210

How quaint, it appears the showers have a 'Training Waterfall' setting.
Ivori spends an hour meditating under the overbearing downpour, recalling the token lessons she had to pass as a numenera junior researcher. Many of her assassination operations involved studying the core basics of her cover identity in order to fool the border guards of each nation she infiltrated. In general, if they could fool the guard captain by performing an actual demonstration of skills, the rank-and-file would completely ignore them from then on in favor of the rest of the queue, who were now more likely to be spies than some ditzy specialists. Her sister took to it well. (Made for some easy pranking). While her masters inferenced that most of academia is a con to get students from wealthy families to pay for additional classes they probably wouldn't need and would forget in time, the upside of a redundantly padded education is that it's harder to forget the basics; Ivori constantly forgets what she's applied if it doesn't involve stealth or murder. But for now, skill in identification will be required in a scout. [Flex Skill - Understanding Numenera]

Moderately annoyed at her waste of two charges of degradable toxin, Ivori spends some time crafting longer-lasting toxins by studying and applying the surrounding garbage.

>Three human-sized figures in grungy all-concealing cloaks or robes are shuffling out of the dark hallways, toward the whirring arch.
Ivori climbs above them and gets into position, ready to sneak attack if the party chooses to engage.
>>
No. 1054010 ID: f57349

>>1053700
>rolled 3, 9
>Must be some way to turn it off or get by it safely.
So far, only seen enough graspers for one person at a time. Could try running past while it's distracted?
> "Be careful, that arch is dangerous!"
Seemingly heeding this warning, they stop. One in the lead extends a limb and draws a chalk line on the ground.

The limb in question doesn't have a hand, or an elbow, but it's not a tentacle either. Moved almost more like a telescoping piston.

>>1053778
>rolled 15, 12, 3
Ivori climbs a wall and slithers through a crevice in the ceiling, above the active portion of the whirring arch. A handhold breaks off when she puts weight on it, but she manages to land gracefully, and would have caught the three robed figures by surprise... but they've already collapsed into a pile. No signs of life, just scrap synth and garbage.

>>1053700
>rolled 20
Somebody's sneaking up behind Melania. Can't be Ivori, she's in plain view over on the far side of the arch.
>>
No. 1054072 ID: 86f831

rolled 9, 15, 4, 1, 5, 3, 16, 5, 5, 15, 5, 5, 14, 19, 6, 5, 2, 6, 9, 8, 18, 6, 10, 4, 18, 19, 16, 7, 16, 9 = 280

After examining the treadmill and exercise equipment, DANI would stand a vigil to help make sure everyone was safe in the room.

Unfortunately for her, the laws of physics dictated that would be not even remotely feasible given that two things started happening at the same time. Between a possible medical emergency that absolutely warranted sending out an emergency broadcast situation, and mysterious newcomers.

While annoying, the door closing behind them hardly struck as an emergency and indeed the idea that they wouldn't be able to get back through it wouldn't even be considered, since it should be easy to just scan the handprint again, or see if emergency access codes are still valid even if she really shouldn't be resorting to such a thing.

Still, medical emergency reported, Dani would inspect the newcomers.
>>
No. 1054073 ID: f57349

DANI pings the ragged-robed arrivals for RFID tags but they're... absent? No. Invalid, expired. You're looking at a pile of garbage that inexplicably learned how to stand up and walk around.

>>1053766
Misha falls to hands and knees, hacking up fragments of lung and watching the margyr nano race toward the rapidly narrowing sliver of light through the door to the lounge, knowing he won't make it in time.

Wakes up a minute or two later, on what feels like a lumpy but serviceable bed. Instant Wall cypher (and a day's worth of water) has been expended to create a ramp. Mycelimancer is dragging her, on a molded-foam sled, along the previously-inaccessible section of suspended catwalk through the cavernous area where the portal originally opened up. He claims to have a plan, but is grunting and wheezing with the effort of carrying it out rather than slowing down to explain.
>>
No. 1054077 ID: dbf584

rolled 20, 2, 2, 13, 3, 5, 6, 1, 11, 2, 11, 18, 2, 13, 10, 1, 18, 1, 19, 3 = 161

>Somebody's sneaking up behind Melania. Can't be Ivori, she's in plain view over on the far side of the arch.
Meep! The nano darts away from what is probably trouble, as Ribbons of Dark Matter condense behind her. Melaina turns around, staff glowing and at the ready, to see who or what was behind her.

Going to spend 4xp on Moving Towards Perfection to upgrade Melaina's Intellect Edge to 2.
>>
No. 1054081 ID: f57349

>>1054077
Three vaguely human-sized upright piles of debris - scrap metal, yellowish-brown waterlogged paper, snarled wire and hair, other nasty stuff - each wearing a tattered cloak of thin black synth. Apparently they can teleport. Some of the material is recognizably leftover bits of the mail-sorting machines, though.

The one to Melaina's left (DANI's right, and furthest from the exercise room) reaches out with that thin piston-like limb and draws another line on the ground with the same piece of chalk, right behind Melaina's heels, apparently indicating that if she takes another step backward she'll be in the whirring arch's engagement range.
>>
No. 1054208 ID: e5709d

rolled 2, 4, 19, 4, 1, 17, 8, 5, 13, 10, 19, 9, 5, 4, 4, 20, 19, 1, 15, 4 = 183

Ivori watches as the rest of the party panics and flees. Few things in this entire universe could define the word 'amalgamation' better than pieces of detritus and spoils convalescing into sentient constructs through nanomachine-empowered chaos. If only her masters could see what true 'living garbage' was...

She has been split from her party. No matter. Whether they live or die, there is little she can do for them divided on this side of the disassembly line.

Ivori continues to stare at the three robed piles, trying to comprehend how they function and where their power sources are. After all, an assassin must always know how to kill every type of being that is within their range perception.
[Understanding Numenera 1 Effort]

Finally, she decides they are not aggressive at the moment. Time for a simple solution to the most pressing problem:
"...Exit?"
>>
No. 1054224 ID: dbf584

rolled 17, 11, 9, 12, 14, 8, 10, 6, 4, 14, 3, 16, 11, 9, 2, 6, 8, 19, 6, 18 = 203

>The one to Melaina's left (DANI's right, and furthest from the exercise room) reaches out with that thin piston-like limb and draws another line on the ground with the same piece of chalk, right behind Melaina's heels, apparently indicating that if she takes another step backward she'll be in the whirring arch's engagement range.
"Aha, right, dangerous." Mel's going to take a few steps to the side, so she's not right up against the danger zone.

"Sorry about the uh," the nano gestures vaguely at the shadow-stuff the figures don't seem particularly perturbed by. "You just surprised me, is all." Teleporting behind someone like that might be rude, but they aren't attacking, and seem to have reciprocated the warning. Hopefully a positive sign.

"Hello! I'm Melaina! We're explorers, currently trying to locate this facility's exit. Who are you?"
>>
No. 1054300 ID: f57349

>>1054208
>rolled 2, 4
No idea what these things are. If they've got vital core systems, probably either very small or hidden in some transdimensional pocket. Seem to be carefully avoiding the whirring arch, so shoving them into it might be a reasonable first thing to try. Failing that, might have to fall back on the professional assassin's BFFs: Burning, Freezing, Blunt Force, and/or the Bigger Fish - that is, maneuvering a seemingly unstoppable target into direct hostilities against something even worse.

In terms of other tactical weaknesses... movement rate seems to be limited to a slow shuffle, so ought to be easy to outrun, provided their teleportation can somehow be prevented. They also don't seem to be reacting to sound at all. Possible they haven't got ears.

>exit
There's a 4-way intersection, meaning three unexplored passageways, close enough you could be there and taking cover around the corner in one round. No apparent lights, though, so you'd be stumbling around in the dark unless you lit one of your torches or glowglobes.

Or you could crawl back through the same crevice in the ceiling used to get here. Walls seem to be smoother on this side, though, no handholds from the scars of stripped machinery, so climbing or jumping up there won't be easy. A ladder sure would be useful.
>>
No. 1054303 ID: 04697a

rolled 7, 15, 10, 17, 9, 14, 12, 20, 6, 12, 10, 13, 14, 11, 16, 14, 1, 14, 18, 14 = 247

>>1054073
Groggy, Misha tries to sit up and immediately regrets it as old familiar and newly introduced pains both lance through her, causing her to abandon the attempt.

Normalising her breathing, she focuses on the Mycelimancer's words, confused.
"What, a plan? I thought your lot couldnae get in here... I guess the creature came f'back here, did yer mushroom buddy tell you about somewhere with healing? Gonna fix me up?"

Lying back, the Wright gives a slight wry smile at the thought. Wouldn't that be nice; stumbling ass-backwards into a cure for her ongoing condition. She's long past the stage of hoping for an easy solution, after all the frustratingly persistent withering affects even grafted parts, flesh or synthetic. But she indulges the thought for a moment, idly looking at the ceiling of the vast chamber as she's dragged along.

The moment passes, and now braced for the hurt she successfully props herself up on her elbows with a groan.
"Bloody hell."

Head now elevated, she takes a good look around at the situation, nodding in approval at the usage of the Instant Wall as she scans the surroundings and their destination for anything useful.
>>
No. 1054304 ID: f57349

>>1054303
Now that it's a matter of a level surface with handrails instead of scrambling up a steep stony slope, and you're away from most of the spores, mycelimancer slows down a bit to chat.
>did yer mushroom buddy tell you about somewhere with healing? Gonna fix me up?
>rolled 7
Geyser of Shameful Weakness provides the best healing, which could be obtained by raid or barter, but he admits he hadn't planned quite that far ahead.

Path you're on runs parallel to the long axis of the cavernous space. Maybe a hundred meters past the top of the instant wall there's a side branch, perpendicular catwalk leading into another doorway.
"Not go that way," says the mycelimancer, though the word in Truth he's using for 'not' isn't the one you'd expect - it's a very formal technical term referring to the point at which simpler or more intuitive models of some phenomenon start yielding dangerously inaccurate predictions. Occasionally used as a poetic euphemism for the Iron Wind, though that interpretation seems contextually unlikely.
"Lair of fogbox cat, no-eyed deer - or was, once, which is bad enough."

>I thought your lot couldnae get in here...
Haven't found a way to open that door you came through - not in living memory, anyway - but there's a way around, seldom used due to the danger. As recently as 10^6 hours ago his mentor set hoof on this very same bridge by making use of a teleportation cypher to bypass The Mutilator. Fluid level was higher then.
>rolled 15
Misha was under the impression margyr had individual lifespans comparable to humans. Shorter, if anything. But here's this guy, looking maybe in his 30s or 40s, talking about something that happened 10^6 hours (meaning ~114 years) ago with a tone of childhood nostalgia, and referring to "living memory" as if it often reaches immensely further back than that.
>>
No. 1054348 ID: dbf584

rolled 7, 1, 8, 10, 18, 12, 12, 12, 17, 3, 2, 5, 5, 17, 3, 6, 18, 19, 9, 3 = 187

Are the interlopers doing anything else? Or have they just been standing their since they teleported past the arch and drew the chalk lines?

>They also don't seem to be reacting to sound at all. Possible they haven't got ears.
Hmm. Do they react to hand signs? (Melaina waves). Or maybe they can read or recognize symbols if they draw lines. Maybe if Melaina "writes" a message in dark matter, that might get a response? (She'll try repeating herself in text >>1054224 ).

Going to continue trying to establish communication with the newcomers... or at least see if something gets a reaction out of them.
>>
No. 1054362 ID: 693906

rolled 17, 5, 10, 15, 17, 12, 7, 2, 7, 4, 16, 10, 4, 14, 2, 18, 17, 16, 20, 1 = 214

>>1054300
> Possibly don't have ears

Well, DANI will try broadcasting a facility standard hail and introduction over short range radio frequencies that ostensibly are just robot language, broadcasting over any open channels, prioritizing by proximity and existing users
>>
No. 1054376 ID: e5709d

rolled 12, 19, 10, 5, 11, 16, 14, 7, 15, 8, 8, 17, 5, 9, 14, 12, 4, 7, 17, 3 = 213

Ivori lights up a glowglobe and rolls it like a bowling ball through one of the corridors. She arms her bow and stares intently as the little ball of light eventually comes to a stop.
>>
No. 1054587 ID: f57349

>>1054362
There's hissing and crackling in the machine telepathy channel which you thought was meaningless background noise until it suddenly resolves into voices. "A sword." "A sleeper." "A wounded angel." "We are what you left behind." "We are who left you behind." "Where is your gate, angel?" "When is your alarum, sleeper?" "What line, sword, will you cut us for crossing?" Bit rude that they aren't presenting properly formatted names.
>>1054348
The one with the chalk draws a few stick figures, and makes gestures which are difficult to interpret because the number of fingers involved doesn't stay consistent from one moment to the next. Seems to be asking either "are you allied with the margyr" or "do you like goats."
>>
No. 1054594 ID: f57349

>>1054376
Rolling the glowglobe doesn't initially work - it either sticks to the floor at the point of contact or jumps pack to her hand as if it was on a string. However, picking a millipede out of her hair (one more reason that ceiling crevice isn't a very desirable option) and inducing it to crawl on the globe instead seems to satisfy the device's need to be held, after which it can roll normally.

Following the right-hand wall, hallway continues about 50 meters to a Y intersection, where Ivori encounters the mycelimancer coming the other way, still dragging Misha on a crude pressed-foam sled.
Third branch of that Y intersection has another short hallway, with periodic flashes of light in a complex sequence of colors from something in an open space at the far end.
>rolled 12, 19
>>1054303
>rolled 7, 15
Seems like the pattern of colors might be a countdown, though if so the zero point is at least a day away.
>>
No. 1054674 ID: aa8cad

rolled 18, 6, 10, 15, 19, 9, 2, 10, 19, 19, 6, 13, 6, 17, 2, 5, 8, 5, 2, 8 = 199

>>1054587
>Seems to be asking either "are you allied with the margyr"
"Well we're allied with one margyr, we had an unfortunate confrontation with the rest, but left off with a fruit basket, so maybe there's hope?"

Um, lessee, Melaina can make little shadow-puppets that look like their stick figures. Here's a group of us, here's a group of goat-horned stick figures, bump them into each other and have a little fight, then the groups separate again, but the shadow with goat horns and holding a mushroom has changed groups. Oh! And she can show the actual fruit basket.

Mechanically, trying to convey the truth that we had a confrontation with the margyr, but recruited one of them. Making simple figures and moving them around seems within the sphere of Hedge Magic + dark matter (though elaborate and detailed illusions might need a dedicated Nano power, or Effort). Training in positive social interactions continues to apply.

>or "do you like goats."
"Not like that." she blushes.
>>
No. 1054729 ID: e5709d

rolled 16, 6, 16, 4, 15, 10, 10, 1, 17, 7, 20, 19, 17, 11, 8, 4, 17, 2, 3, 9 = 212

Interesting. Ivori considers raising some venomous millipedes to stick onto her glowglobes - they'll run the moment they detect something, leaving the glowglobe to stick at the point of danger.

Ivori stares at the mycelimancer for a few seconds, then points at him and then in the direction of the third branch, checking up on Misha soon after the mycelicmancer leaves to investigate.

After a summary examination for any invading diseases or curses (and some discreet slight-of-hand to reverse pickpocket embarrassing items into her inventory while her back is turned), Ivori joins up with the mycelimancer (assuming he's still alive at this point) and analyzes whatever is causing that beeping noise.

[Understanding Numenera, 0 Effort]
>>
No. 1054781 ID: f57349

>>1054674
>rolled 18
You accurately convey the information, but they're not happy to learn it. Weapon-limbs are extruded - a tangle of glass shards, a rusty hook which might once have been part of a bicycle frame, and a cylindrical ceramic bludgeon - and they start trying to kill you in a plodding, methodical (reluctant?) sort of way.
> rolled 6, 10, 15
One of those would have connected, if not for the hindrance of them still being caught in your shadow-thicket.
>>
No. 1054822 ID: 86f831

rolled 11, 3, 6, 18, 4, 14, 11, 10, 5, 6, 4, 20, 19, 19, 19, 16, 1, 18, 20, 13 = 237

>>1054587
"That sure is a lot of needless hostility given that, at least theoretically, we are all supposed to be protecting the facility. Or whatever is left of it."

>>1054781
And this is where needless hostility becomes a boiling point, DANI will activate hold the gate and put herself in the path of the blows to make sure that nobody else gets hit
>>
No. 1054916 ID: f57349

>>1054822
As she wades through the snarl of dark matter, a fist-like mass of glass shards collides with DANI's face, forcefully enough to shed glittering splinters in all directions. Her eyes aren't even scratched. Two other attacks are safely deflected, and a judo-throw followup leaves one of the trashbag raiders sprawled across the wrong side of that chalk line.

The archway's whir slowly rises to a shriek. When it calms, and articulated arms withdraw, nothing visible remains of the one who was grabbed.

>theoretically, we are all supposed to be protecting the facility
>rolled 18
The three... well, two of them now... use a dialect of machine telepathy distinct from your own, though somewhat mutually intelligible. Possibly descended from Waste Management rather than Security. In any case, checksum subtext makes it clear they have no loyalty whatsoever to your employer.


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason