[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 163283215758.png - (347.64KB , 800x600 , RTS1.png )
1011811 No. 1011811 ID: 39d938

Wiki/Thread List: https://questden.org/wiki/Return_to_Sender

There are two kinds of people in this world, besides aves and chimeras. There are those with luck, and those without it. Today I couldn't have asked for a better outcome, perhaps this is God's way of seeking my forgiveness? Well, it'd be a good start. Now if I can find a way off this pinnacle, we'll be just peachy.
Expand all images
>>
No. 1011812 ID: 39d938
File 163283218446.png - (519.20KB , 800x600 , RTS2.png )
1011812

I'm not out of the woods yet, but in the literal sense I'm at the edge of it. The gate to the town is wide open, even though I’m sure to encounter guards, they shouldn't give me - an inncent postal worker - any trouble.
I get a good view of the storm from here. It might be difficult to find a ship willing to leave this island for a few days or so. I can tell it's going to get dark very soon so i should look out for a place to stay.
>>
No. 1011813 ID: 39d938
File 163283220687.png - (405.76KB , 800x600 , RTS3.png )
1011813

Looks like I have many ways to go from here. Ultimately, I need to look for a way out of here and regroup with my old crew. I could check my inventory and see what items I have, this mail bag in particular grabs my attention, seems someone has been a busy bee! it’s almost empty but there is still something in there, perhaps I can treat myself? From here on out I can do anything, I don't need anyone's permission. I am a free pseudogryph now.
>>
No. 1011814 ID: 3328c7

Care to tell u- err, I mean, care to recall what happened since you left Torrus Ridge?
And yeah, check dat inventory.
>>
No. 1011815 ID: ce39da

Aw man, prison break. (Weren't we headed to Mamerti first, though?)

So uh... what have you done with the real Pascoe? He seemed nice enough that death seemed unattractive for him at least, right?

In any case, you gotta have a cover story for the incongruities; keep it simple, as waves tend to get suspicious of long, overly specific verbal meanderings. Details are on a need-to-know basis.

Chief suspicion; why is it that a postman seems to have emerged from the frickin' weeds all covered in dirt? Maybe someone lived out in the wild (for some reason), and you're really dedicated to your job? Or perhaps you were traveling between motes of civilization on the pinnacle - I can think of at least two - and you got lost?

Also, you'll have to be wary of running into any of his actual crew once inside.

> PACKAGE
Describe what it is without opening it. Maybe you get a foreboding feeling about it.
>>
No. 1011816 ID: 2aa5f0

So who where your old crew and what happened to them? You looking to get the gang back together or you looking for revenge for them ditching you?
>>
No. 1011818 ID: 894419

I suppose you better wander into the city, you're just an "innocent postal worker" but it wouldn't hurt to try to keep the lowest profile possible.

You have money for a place to stay or are we gonna have to bust into a barn?

Also nice vanity pin in the hat.
>>
No. 1011819 ID: a2493c

>>1011813
well hey there, not-pascoe!

Really liking the hat, eyes, and hair. Makes it real easy to tell ya apart!

Anyhow, let's get to work achieving our freedom and setting up problems for our protagonist down the road when it turns out our route there is something morally grey at best, eh?
>>
No. 1011823 ID: 8233ee

Damn you're pretty scuffed, is that from days spent crawling through the jungle eating grubs or did you just survive a cartoon explosion?
>>
No. 1011824 ID: 5d9787

So Pascoe was male...
I was under the impression he was small for a griffin, but it seems his hat and coat were a perfect fit for you. Were your similarities a mere coincidence or did you had means of looking like you current do?

It's better to approach the guard dirty than after dark, but if you have enough daytime it's worth cleaning as much mud as you can before reaching the entrance. Clumsiness and unpredictable circumstances are reasonable excuses but the less you have to explain the less they should pay attention to you.
>>
No. 1011852 ID: 9a2966

>Treat yourself
Oooh, some leftover trail mix. Score!
>>
No. 1011855 ID: 2aef11

Who are you and what did you do with Pascoe? Your eyes are a different color!
>>
No. 1011868 ID: 365ef6

Hey, I know another pseudogryph you have to met. He's also a postalworker! Oh, and don't mind us chatting, everyone knows that every courier's garments comes with the mandatory cursed voices in your head.

Now seriously. Think what your long term goal is, what is the next thing you need for that happening and what you have to achieve that.

Don't only check what you have on you, also think about what you can do and what you can't. Check the state of you uniform, if it's too obvious that is stolen it will be even worse if you keep it. I have heard that now you have to wear a bandage to prove you are a courier. As it has been said it would be a good idea to think in some alibi.

Maybe "You got attacked by some beast and got separated from your companions. Fleeing the beast you got lost and you are missing some part of your uniform."
>>
No. 1011897 ID: 39d938
File 163289077570.png - (468.80KB , 800x600 , RTS4.png )
1011897

>care to recall what happened since you left Torrus Ridge?
I haven't been to Torrus Ridge in years. Don't intend on going there either. Nothing for me in the Old World.
>So uh... what have you done with the real Pascoe? He seemed nice enough that death seemed unattractive for him at least, right?
Dead? Certainly not. I needed him alive in order for this to work. It's ok, he is with his own kind now.
>Have a cover story for the incongruities.
Easy, I'll just say I was delivering to a remote house in the jungle and slipped in mud.
>So, who where your old crew and what happened to them?
Some got caught, some died, some I assume are laying low. If it doesn't work out, I can find a more active crew. I would’ve gone with any of the others if they made it out, but I think I’m the only one who got away.
>nice vanity pin in the hat.
Seems to be a badge of sorts. 'MPA'. can't say i recognize it, I've been on the inside too long.
>Really liking the hat, eyes, and hair. Makes it really easy to tell ya apart!
Aves won't notice a thing. Much of us look alike to them.
>you're pretty scuffed
I did get into a scuffle. He was originally against the idea of an early retirement, but I coerced him into thinking otherwise. And at the end of the day, I was willing to do more for my freedom than he did, let’s put it at that.
>Were your similarities a mere coincidence
We are the same type of pseudogryph, a plains pseudogryph. The most common kind as a matter a fact.
>you'll have to be wary of running into any of his actual crew once inside.
If they are all Old Worlders like he was, they are likely a bunch of softies too. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
>>
No. 1011898 ID: 39d938
File 163289079550.png - (456.63KB , 800x600 , RTS5.png )
1011898

>Hey, I know another pseudogryph you have to met. He's also a postalworker! Oh, and don't mind us chatting, everyone knows that every courier's garments comes with the mandatory cursed voices in your head.
Not the most common way of developing an inner monologue, but so long as the good ideas continue to flow, I have no grievances whatsoever. I should know this but just to be sure, what is my name?

>Describe what it is without opening it. Maybe you get a foreboding feeling about it.
Rectangular, weighty, I sense a possibly intoxicating liquid in there, could it be? Only one way to find out.

I gotta do something with it, if he did have a crew, they'll wonder why I didn't deliver it. Do I open it and take what's inside, ditch it so nobody finds it, or... deliver it?
>>
No. 1011900 ID: 8483cf

Steal it! Be free! You're a freegryph, no one can tell you what to do!
>>
No. 1011901 ID: 46af69

Deliver it
>>
No. 1011902 ID: 96c896

Deliver it. Through rain, wind, sleet or hail, bitter cold or scorching heat, delivered all shall be the mail.
>>
No. 1011903 ID: b72032

>>1011898
Where is it addressed to?
>>
No. 1011906 ID: dfbac0

Deliver it.
Your name? Irrelevant.
>>
No. 1011907 ID: dfbac0

Also, there's a lot more incongruities that just being banged up there. The personality change seems to drastic to be ignored by the looks of it, also your eyes are slightly off-color.
Although I guess the only one who might have been wary of eyes was Pascoe himself...
>>
No. 1011909 ID: dfbac0

>Old Worlder Softies
I wouldn't be so sure of that, one of the postal crew took down a five star bounty all by themselves!
>>
No. 1011910 ID: 5d9787

That is disappointing, I was ready for some mail delivery. The job barely even begin and it's already over...

You have more pressing matters to attend before start drinking, but also have no possible reason to want to make this deliver. Keep it with you for now.

As for a name, how about Rafaela?
>>
No. 1011912 ID: 3ab17b

Deliver it to make your postal worker disguise more authentic, I mean those guys basically have a free pass to anywhere so if you can convince everyone you’re one of them then you can go wherever you want.
>>
No. 1011923 ID: 39d938
File 163290840986.png - (499.21KB , 800x600 , RTS6.png )
1011923

>Deliver it to make your postal worker disguise more authentic, those guys basically have a free pass to anywhere
Hey, now that's not half a bad idea! Seems like a good way to hide in plain sight. I think I'll roll with this for a while.
>That is disappointing, I was ready for some mail delivery. The job barely even begin and it's already over...
Hey now, who says I can't deliver mail? Seems like an easy enough job. I'll deliver this package to prove it! I'll be a better postie than that Pascoe guy ever could!
>Where is it addressed to?
Nobody I'd know. If I had to guess I'd say it's someone living in the wild areas away from everybody else. Can't say I blame them if that's the case, I never got along with everyone, especially my cellmate. I hope she doesn't do anything bad to him.

Digging around in the bag of his he had a map with a bunch of houses circled and all crossed out except one. That seems to be where to go so that's where I'll go.

But seriously, I shouldn't keep using this guy's name like it's my own, I know I have one. Something with two syllables.
>>
No. 1011926 ID: 5d9787

Are you testing my memory?
I don't remember Riquar telling Pascoe his friend's name, only that she was deaf and had a scarf.
Mills were mentioned by the hunters as someone who could be confused with a chimera, but wasn't born like that.
No idea what two syllables name I should be remembering so I will just repeat my previous suggestion: Rafa.

So you are a fugitive not far from the prison you escaped and you have nothing better to do than travel to the middle of nowhere to pretend to be a postal officer? Guess looking for old associates can wait.
>>
No. 1011927 ID: a2493c

>>1011923
Twiggle has a good ring to it. Let's go with that.
>>
No. 1011930 ID: 5bf1bd

Perhaps you can be called "Rainer", in manner of this auspicious day - of your freedom. >>1011923
>>
No. 1011931 ID: 53560f

How does Silli sound?
After all, if life’s gonna have punchlines this good then someone has to embrace the humour in it all.
>>
No. 1011932 ID: ce39da

Rainer sounds good.
>>
No. 1011935 ID: 2aef11

Pachi!
>>
No. 1011936 ID: e2f5cc

supporting Rainer
>>
No. 1011943 ID: b14c9b

French Fries
>>
No. 1012039 ID: 39d938
File 163301869707.png - (512.23KB , 800x600 , RTS7.png )
1012039

>Rainer
I can't say my parents were very creative. You get what you get when you're born on a rainy day.

>So you are a fugitive not far from the prison you escaped and you have nothing better to do than travel to the middle of nowhere to pretend to be a postal officer?
If I'm going to play postie I might as well commit. This isn't exactly the middle of nowhere either, just a little out of the way. The sooner my 'crew' and I deliver this mail, the sooner I can hitch a ride with them off this prison island. As for why I'm delivering it over just tossing it, who knows, rolling with the punches has worked for me thus far.

Working my way over to the house marked on the map, I pass the area where Pascoe and I had our little meeting. He isn't around so I assume my plan must have worked out. Looking at the ledger, this package is addressed to a 'Rosser Allock' Looks like there's a space where I need his signature. It doesn't take long until I see a jury-rigged shack of sorts. Does this even count as a house? I guess it does if it has an address.
>>
No. 1012040 ID: 39d938
File 163301872340.png - (498.05KB , 800x600 , RTS8.png )
1012040

I knock on the door and an ave with a crutch answers to door. Seems who I assume is Rosser is missing a leg.
>"Oh! I wasn't expecting a delivery. I especially wasn't expecting a delivery from a pseudogryph."
"hmm? That such a hard thing to believe?"
>"Just a surprise is all!"
"I have a package here addressed to one 'Rosser Allock.' Happen to know em'?"
>"Yes! That's me. Where do I sign?"

I get his signature in the ledger and that officially finishes this load of deliveries. Far from all that needs to be done on Mamerti, but it looks like Pascoe was trying to get the hard stuff out of the way first.
>>
No. 1012041 ID: 39d938
File 163301875228.png - (418.04KB , 800x600 , RTS9.png )
1012041

Right away he tears into the package and pulls out an envelope and a...

Oh wow... Is that?
>"A message from an old friend! I thought he had died long ago! Looks to be alive and well!"
It doesn't look like any old watered-down grog either...
>"Says here he's doing well! Started up a family after the war, runs a bakery now."
My mouth is getting... kinda dry?
>"Isn't that sweet. Says here I was the nicest captain he ever met."
Damn... I could've taken that and had it all to myself! That'll teach me I guess, that's what I get for trying to be honest for once. I think I'm better off in my pirate ways.
>"Now that I'm retired, I'll have to pay him a visit someday. Good to know someone still remembers me. Oh? Looks like he sent me a bottle too."
>>
No. 1012042 ID: 39d938
File 163301877884.png - (488.04KB , 800x600 , RTS10.png )
1012042

"Enjoy it." I say as I start to walk down the stairs of his deck, back into the cold rainy storm. boozeless.
>"Say, are you in any hurry?"
"Huh? No, that was the last package in my satchel."
>"I know my place is out of the way, and since you came all this way, how would you like to share this? And besides, where's the fun in drinking alone? I can spin some yarns too if you'd like, lord knows I'm full of stories, each harder to believe than the last. Of course, if you're busy I'll understand. I must say, it is good to see an honest chimera. It's nice to know that not all are as bad as they say."
>>
No. 1012043 ID: 2aa5f0

are you actually in a hurry? Because if not I say actually take him up on his offer and see what he knows about current events. I mean how long have you been locked away? Things could have changed and having someone tell you what has and what hasn't might help you blend in... or at the very least know what you could be getting into once you ditch this place.
>>
No. 1012045 ID: 5d9787

I miss Pascoe...

The rumblings of a retired naval officer are a good way to start familiarizing yourself with how the world changed in your absence, assuming you have enough patience. Just make sure to not accidentally tell him anything about yourself as you share a drink.

If you find safety in this disguise try not to do anything he wouldn't until you leave the island. This sentimental cripple is sure to present opportunities for a dishonest scoundrel that you would be wise to ignore. Don't steal anything, at least for now.
>>
No. 1012046 ID: ce39da

"Hm... Yeah, sure, you were last on today's route for me anyway. I could use a break."

> I think I'm better off in my pirate ways.
Really? You'd think that after paying (some of) the price the first time, it'd take more than basic-ass material envy to make you go back to that, especially since it sounds like he needs it as much as you do. And look, it seems kindness has seen fit to reward you some anyway.
>>
No. 1012056 ID: 7e0798

Why not Rainer? Not like you're on the clock. Toast to your hosts health and to jobs well done.
>>
No. 1012076 ID: 365ef6

He was captain, might be helpful. Maybe he know someone who can get you out of here.
>>
No. 1012078 ID: dfbac0

>>1012045
I miss Pascoe too...

Well, usually I'd be all for a drink but you do realize your "crew" is gonna smell alcohol on your breath. If your plan is to ride out of here with the postal workers then they might wonder why their once mild mannered friend came back smelling of alcohol. Then again, it might be a good cover story for why you're acting different, people seem totally different while on the sauce.
>>
No. 1012085 ID: 3328c7

I also miss Pascoe, Pascoe deserves better. We must get back to Pascoe now. We can convince him to let us tag along. We can TRULY redeem ourselves!
>>
No. 1012092 ID: f8fa51

The signatures are an important part of your disguise. Making this delivery isn't entirely out of the kindness of your heart. If you're discovered by your new postal "crew", you really have no idea what they'll do with you.
>>
No. 1012095 ID: 53560f

Don’t even try to pretend you don’t want some after how you were just acting.
Accept his offer, I’m sure you can withstand a few stories from some old guy.
>>
No. 1012102 ID: 8483cf

>It is good to see an honest chimera. It's nice to know that not all are as bad as they say.

Wow rude

Drink with him. Drink that ave under the table!
>>
No. 1012105 ID: b32638

also ask if they have a shower, you got all banged up from tripping in the forest and you can use a minute to get presentable
>>
No. 1012118 ID: 39d938
File 163310167014.png - (425.27KB , 800x600 , RTS11.png )
1012118

>it seems kindness has seen fit to reward you some anyway.
May be, may be.
>how long have you been locked away?
Hard to say, I haven't kept count. Maybe three years or so.
>Maybe he knows someone who can get you out of here.
Might be a good start. I'll steer the conversation that way if I find a good time to interject.
>I miss Pascoe
>Pascoe deserves better.
>We must get back to Pascoe now.
Shoving all thoughts of Pascoe to the back of my mind. The less I think about what I had to do the better.
>If you're discovered by your new postal "crew", you really have no idea what they'll do with you.
It's simple, I'll just be Pascoe.
>Don't steal anything, at least for now.
Fiiiiiine.
>Drink with him. Drink that ave under the table!
"I'll drink you under the table!" I say, maybe a little too enthusiastically.

15 Minutes Later
"Baaaaaaa hahahaha!"
"BAAAAAAA!"
"HAaahahahAAha."
"AAAAAAAAAAA."
"Ahahah."

I forgot that I start off as a happy drunk haha
We talk for a bit, apparently, he was a naval captain before his injury lead to his retirement. He lives on his own trying to be independent for the most part. Tells me he moved to Mamerti because it was one of the few pinnacles that didn't have crazy anomalies, plants, or beasts.
>>
No. 1012119 ID: 39d938
File 163310169128.png - (427.61KB , 800x600 , RTS12.png )
1012119

>"Perhaps I gave you too much?"
"Naaaaaah my resistance must have worn off over the years, it has been a good while since I've tasted rum."
*hic*
>"Suppose they don't allow you to drink on the job."
"Somethin' like that ye."

>also ask if they have a shower, you can use a minute to get presentable
"By the way - ways- uh - I got mud -- I tripped."
>"I'll let you borrow a towel to wash off with when you're ready to head off."

>"May as well spin some yarns and tell tall tales while we can make the bottle last. You come from the Old World, right? I bet there's plenty of things you don't know about. Many strange folk out there worth hearing about, curses and what not, legends that people pursue to the dying breath. I can tell you about how I lost my leg, I assure you it isn't a touchy subject like most assume. Honestly, ask me anything you're curious about, unless you have stories of your own you wish to talk about?"
"Ohhhhh I'm pretty boring - hah - I'm just a regular oooold postie!"
May be best to get all good information out of him now before I approach my next phase of drunkenness.
>>
No. 1012120 ID: 2aa5f0

>It's simple, I'll just be Pascoe.
was this Pascoe you replaced a guy or a girl? I mean even if most Aves can't tell one grif from another I think they'd at least be able to tell if a crew mate suddenly switch genders... same with the prison guards as well now that I think about it.

>What to ask
Ask him how things are now compared to when he was sailing. Would be a good way of learning current events while not flat out asking about current events. Just have to suffer through a few "war stories" but could be helpful down the line.
>>
No. 1012121 ID: 8f4498

>>1012119
I just want to say as an aside ooc that your quests are to damn good for this empty forum. The art is too good!

Pascoe’s imposter, your goofy face is cute enough to warrant perusing the task of seeing what your next level of drunkenness looks like.
>>
No. 1012126 ID: 4b18cb

Go under the table and drink HIM.
>>
No. 1012127 ID: 8483cf

Disregard information, go directly to drunk, do not Pascoe, do not collect $200
>>
No. 1012130 ID: 5d9787

What you mean next phase? Will you get aggressive with him or take him to the shower with you?

Didn't the possibility of treasures picked your interest? Ask about those legends.
The leg story is sure to be somewhat interesting and give some context for at least one of the military factions.
>>
No. 1012133 ID: 46af69

Lets hear some stories.
>>
No. 1012141 ID: 98893d

>>1012119
Hmmmmm play a drinking game of exchanging inqureies about backgrounds. Every new answer ends in the taking of a shot.
>>
No. 1012152 ID: 39d938
File 163313410931.png - (415.04KB , 800x600 , RTS13.png )
1012152

>was this Pascoe you replaced a guy or a girl?
Pascoe was definitely a male.
>I mean even if most Aves can't tell one grif from another I think they'd at least be able to tell if a crew mate suddenly switch genders... same with the prison guards as well now that I think about it.
Aves are completely gender blind to chimeras, as is vise versa. From my understanding, those of the same subspecies are practically indistinguishable.
>What do you mean next phase?
A specific kind of sad drunk, let’s put it at that.
>Disregard information, go directly to drunk
I am absorbing two things at once, only drink is effective so far.

>Ask him how things are now compared to when he was sailing.
"So, things different nowadays than from when you were sailing out in about?"
>"The more things change the more they stay the same, that's what I always say. Seemingly a calm spot in terms of conflict, but that seems subject to change quite soon. I hear from soldier buddies that things are getting heated once again between the colonial powers. They tell me that the next big war will be different somehow. Something about more alliances than any time ever. New nations are also trying to cut themselves a piece of the New World pie as well. All very exciting, but maybe it's a good thing I'm retired and won't be seeing it all.

>Didn't the possibility of treasures picked your interest? Ask about those legends.
"You say somethin' about *hic*... legends? like uhhhh treasure and stuff?"
>"Ah, right, they say everyone in the New World is looking for something. Whether that be explorers, storm chasers, looters, hunters, you name it. Point being, there are those that believe in something, even if we haven't found it yet. For example, a well with water that can heal all ailments, or a pond with a bottom filled with gold and gemstones, a tree bearing fruit which bestows immortality or an arrowhead which can turn back time to fix all past regrets. None of it is proven but thousands come to the New World each year believing the stories to be true and looking for them til' they keel over. There are also the few that are interested in studying the ruins, seeing where all the ancients disappeared off to, not that there are many that care about that stuff comparatively.

>The leg story is sure to be somewhat interesting and give some context for at least one of the military factions.
"So then - tell me then about the leg thing then?"
>"It's a long story but I'll keep it short. Ever heard of cursed shots before?"
"A *hic* little."
"Back in the day we didn't know what all of em' did, and they were rare enough that it was too wasteful to test em’, so a lot of them were fired on battlefields. I was on land leading a charge against Fets when one of their higher-ranking soldiers used one of those special wheellocks used for firing cursed shots. What ended up happening was the shot came out normally at first, would've made a coin sized hole to anything standing point blank. But by the time it made its way over to me, it increased its size to that of a cannonball. Funny thing is, it didn't blow off my leg so much as it... ate it if you can understand that. whatever it passed through just disappeared. My knee was gone but my foot was still on the ground. That all sounds bad, right? Turns out I was one of the lucky ones, because it kept on increasing size as it went on. All the gunners to my rear had big bites taken out of them, and those at the very back disappeared completely. And the mountain behind us? had a hole put through it so large you could fly a galleon through it.
All of his words are coming out blurry to me, but I keep nodding along like I'm listening.
>"Maybe a little morbid but most war stories are, eh? actually, I have one of those wheellocks around here somewhere if you're interested in seeing."
"That's great - and - also - can I have more rum?"

I can feel it, I'm close to the next phase. Maybe I should maybe definitely leave before he sees it.
>>
No. 1012153 ID: 8483cf

If you're asking for more rum, it's rude to just up and leave. Also you're totally going to faceplant if you just walk out the door.
>>
No. 1012154 ID: e2f5cc

>>1012152
"mmm wait no sorry i get sad after a lot of drunk so sorry for the drink but thanks i gotta go" Then proceed to immediately faceplant
>>
No. 1012155 ID: 96c896

You should stop drinking if you don't want to start sobbing in front of him or whatever. Also you need to get back to your crew. Well, Pascoe's crew.
>>
No. 1012156 ID: 5d9787

This is already starting to look kind of sad... Maybe it's a good idea to stop drinking.

Weren't you planing to take a shower? Ask if he want to accompany you...
>>
No. 1012160 ID: 2aa5f0

ok you're getting drunk, maybe you should tell him you should be getting back to work before your boss get's on your ass. Thank him for the stories and the booze, clean yourself up a little before heading out, and take a glass for the road.
>>
No. 1012161 ID: 29412c

>>1012152

Did something happen to make all these erotic leaning Anons like 10x more blunt in their demand for bird smut? Rainer we all know the voices in your head saying to drink to excess and shower WITH THE MAN are whispers looking to score off your drunkenness. This will soon not a time for happy drunk or sad drunk, he’ll soon venture wth a flirt and you will then complete the trinity of drunk emotions and be the mad-drunk who’ll clonk his cripple’s head over with a chair or the wine bottle or something. Once he’s taking a mat nap feel free to rummage around the house for stuff to fill a backpack with.
>>
No. 1012252 ID: 15a025

Washup and star thinking of a cover story for your next phase of drunk.
>>
No. 1012295 ID: 39d938
File 163326283401.png - (475.19KB , 800x600 , RTS14.png )
1012295

"Alright, thankyou sir or madam - for the booze, but I gotta go - go deliver mail or something."
>"I see. Thanks for stopping by." How in the world are they not drunk??
"*hic*, Know a stream or creek or something where I can wash this mud off? Forget the towel, I'll just walk - dry - walk it off."
>"Oh, well there is a well not far from here, just follow the trail to town."
"Thanks, bye."
>"Hold on, one more thing. did you get any weird packages?"
"I don't know. I don't even know what a weird package is."
>"I see. Another thing, if you're going back into town this late, be sure to watch out for the candle maker."
"pffffft I ain't afraid of no candles." I say as my final words to him before I leave. He says something else, but it is too fuzzy and far away for me to understand. I can hold off of faceplanting for sayyyyy a good five more minutes or so.

My emotions right now are a mixture of repressed feelings and whatever emotion it is to avoid puking on my toes.
>>
No. 1012296 ID: 39d938
File 163326285534.png - (442.42KB , 800x600 , RTS15.png )
1012296

I find my way to the well and stand firmly before it, grasping my hands around it, standing here, peering at my reflection.

I feel... I don't know... What do I feel?
Am I feeling... guilty?

I should be feeling awesome. I'm the first chimera in history to escape Mamerti Penitentiary without immediately getting recaptured. why don't I feel good?
Is it because I left my friends behind? No, we all agreed that we would leave behind anyone that didn't make it. Who did I wrong?
>>
No. 1012297 ID: 8483cf

Logically, you've wronged no one! Especially not Pascoe. Pascoe simply accepted more risk than he should have by being near you and your friends, and paid the price. You shouldn't feel bad for doing what anyone reasonable would have done in your situation. Pascoe was too naive to see it coming. Not your fault.

There's absolutely NO reason to cry over how awful he must feel right now. Or how he's done nothing to deserve his fate. Or what his family will think when they don't hear or see him ever again.
>>
No. 1012298 ID: b72032

Well, you're a criminal.
You screwed over an innocent, that's what a criminal does. You belong there.
>>
No. 1012299 ID: 365ef6

Dunno, maybe...

The moment they know you escaped guards are going to ask your friends (potentially not in a kind way).

For fist time in years you has been treated as a respetable citizen by someone. You might be seeing your past choices and realizing of how different your life could be now.

Also you played up an inocent quimera of your own kind. How many time has passed since you saw one? Even before of being imprisioned? How much time will pass before you see someone like you? Can you even form a family with other species or are you cursed to die alone and loveless?

Ooooor all of this could be the next phase of drunkness and sadness. Have a nice night ;)
>>
No. 1012302 ID: 53560f

You betrayed yourself. Your escape wasn’t some legendary feat that people will talk about for years to come or some elaborate scheme prepared over years of imprisonment…
You got lucky. Anyone could do what you did if a near lookalike came strolling in with no sense of self preservation like he did.

That leaves two questions: will you seek that glory that you threw away and if you will, then how?
>>
No. 1012314 ID: 2aa5f0

well at the very least you should be able to clean yourself a little now... maybe, how clean is that water? It looks like their's things floating in it from here.
>>
No. 1012318 ID: 96c896

>>1012296
Pascoe.
>>
No. 1012333 ID: 235ba5

... You really need us to spell it out for you?
Also, you became the first chimera in a very unimpressive way.
"I escaped by beating up a nerdy postman."
Embarrassing.
>>
No. 1012694 ID: 15a025

Because you didn't escape. As far as anyone knows, you're still in there. That's how you got out.
>>
No. 1012713 ID: a2493c

>>1012296
Pascoe's the obvious pick. Surprisingly upright dude, if a bit stiff about his job. Coulda jacked the clothes off any of his entourage, but it had to be him, eh?
>>
No. 1012958 ID: 39d938
File 163435321531.png - (370.41KB , 800x600 , RTS16.png )
1012958

>how clean is that water
Clean as you could expect from a well, there are a few leaves in there but it's fine. I start washing the mud off my face, which goes well. just so long as I don't think. Think about things like-

>Pascoe.
No... that guy? I - just... I shouldn't think about...
> it had to be him, eh?
I-It wasn't personal, ok?? he just had bad luck was all...
>You screwed over an innocent, that's what a criminal does. You belong there.
H-hang on now! It isn't like that, ok? I-
>You got lucky. Anyone could do what you did if a near lookalike came strolling in with no sense of self-preservation like he did.
Alright – alright! when it gets put like that is sounds bad - and it is bad i know and-
>You escaped by beating up a nerdy postman. Embarrassing.

oh...

...

I shouldn't have drank knowing I'm a guilty drunk.

>Logically, you've wronged no one! Especially not Pascoe. Pascoe simply accepted more risk than he should have by being near you and your friends, and paid the price. You shouldn't feel bad for doing what anyone reasonable would have done in your situation. Pascoe was too naive to see it coming. Not your fault.
I uh...
There's absolutely NO reason to cry over how awful he must feel right now. Or how he's done nothing to deserve his fate. Or what his family will think when they don't hear or see him ever again.

...

oh god.

...

...The hell have I done?

...

The hell should I do?
>>
No. 1012960 ID: 2aa5f0

OK I know you said birds can't tell one Grif apart form another but they have got to be able to figure out if someone is a guy or a girl right? and I don't think prisons are co-op since no one wants to deal with a baby in prison, so if anything the guy will probably get out in a few days when someone decides to check if he's actually a he or not. That and his voice might give him away since I don't recall him sounding girly.

If anything you just have to get off the island before they released you pulled the old switch-a-roo and he'll probably be sent back to HQ or wherever they go fine if slightly inconvenient.
>>
No. 1012965 ID: 8483cf

Simple solution: send "yourself" a letter! "Pascoe" will deliver it, of course.
>>
No. 1012970 ID: dfbac0

You have friends on the inside right? Organize a prison break, you can do things only people outside of the prison can do to help an escape. This is a win-win situation, you get accomplices to help you for your sense of practicality and you get to free Pascoe for your sense of morality.
>>
No. 1012971 ID: 96c896

>>1012958
Do you need to do anything? Pascoe is male, and you aren't. He can demonstrate that to the prison guards to make them let him go.

Just in case, you can mail the prison a letter explaining how you escaped, making sure that you're long gone by the time they get it.
>>
No. 1012975 ID: f8fa51

You may be feeling guilty, but that doesn't mean you're going to throw away your newfound freedom in exchange for a complete stranger, even if you've wronged him. Another might, but a person that would do that wouldn't have done this in the first place.

However, you could try to repay him another way. He has friends, you have friends, you could stage a breakout. Do you have the skills to pull that off?
>>
No. 1012977 ID: 5d9787

Our motives are an everchanging wild ride. Are we going to rescue Pascoe? Let's hope this desire last long enough to reach our goal.

The escape should coincide with the boat departure. Before that all the mail must be delivered so the postal crew won't have any reason to linger.
Fortunately being outside give us more options. Revise what you know about the prison including anything that could be a weakness in the security.
After some basic plan we can look for tools ans allies if trust is affordable. The crew would be useful but we don't know that and have no way of explaining the situation in our favour, so try to keep the deception.

For the people arguing the sex explanation:
-What make you think the prison would admit they were fooled? I'm sure as reasonable moral people you would consider loosing a prisoner a small mistake that wouldn't justify hiding the facts by condemning an innocent, but there are plenty of examples in real life of prisons and asylums that refused to admit they hold wrongful imprisoned people for the sake of their reputation.
-Would Pascoe think of showing his balls? He avoided the subject whenever anyone asked, maybe this solution wouldn't occur to him.
-Does the records include this information? This place is somewhat irregular and this society don't seem to treat the sex differently so they might not care enough to write it down.
-Would the guards check Pascoe sex or know how to check? Some birds have pseudopenises, but I think the species we saw so far don't. Would they even understand that the thing between his legs is a sexual organ characteristic of male felines?
>>
No. 1013001 ID: 50af53

Keep moving. It's all this life has ever let you do.
>>
No. 1013003 ID: c0641b

>>1012958

Maaaaybe walk us through what happened? Get things into order, while you still have a bit of clarity.
>>
No. 1013032 ID: 15a025

Before we start making any huge plans, you gotta calm down and collect yourself here.

Pascoe's got friends/co-workers. Maybe you can rope them in to helping break you Pascoe out of jail. We'd need a convincing tale to explain why we'd have swapped places with Pascoe though to get their help.
>>
No. 1013065 ID: 704d14

Yeah, let's write a letter meant for the Chief Warden explaining they got the wrong girl.

That'll make Pascoe's tenure there a lot shorter!
>>
No. 1013301 ID: 39d938
File 163478475427.png - (299.11KB , 800x600 , RTS17.png )
1013301

>Walk us through what happened
I escaped Mamerti penitentiary for the dozenth time or so. Escaping from the prison isn't the hard part though, it's avoiding recapture and getting off the island. I got lucky when I swapped places with someone who looks just like me. I'm just hoping that can fool the guards for long enough, so my freedom is ensured. I did what I was willing to do for my freedom, though I wonder what he'll do for his.

>Wouldn't the guards be able to tell his gender
All guards overseeing prisoners are aves, and aves cannot tell the difference. They do have a chimera check when are initially admitted, so the only people who can tell Pascoe is a male are the inmates, and as soon as that happens, his chances of leaving become slimmer.

>Send a letter.
I think we're onto something there. I can send a letter to him, my friends, or the prison authorities. Might take a while for the warden to notice, down with a cold apparently. The vice warden and I certainly aren't on good terms, but she'll listen. I need to think about what I write very carefully though, I'm not risking my own freedom for a stranger, even if I am ruining his life at this very moment...

>You have friends on the inside right? Organize a prison break, you can do things only people outside of the prison can do to help an escape. This is a win-win situation, you get accomplices to help you for your sense of practicality and you get to free Pascoe for your sense of morality.
I think I like that plan. I did a bad thing, but I can fix things. We can all come out of this with something. If I can somehow get a message to Askot telling her to help him, she'll do it for sure.

Alright! I'm going to make everything right. I may not be a lawful person, but that doesn't mean I have to be a bad person! Here's the plan, I'll march my way to town, and i'll-
>>
No. 1013302 ID: 39d938
File 163478477570.png - (356.57KB , 800x600 , RTS18.png )
1013302

SPLAT

zzz
>>
No. 1013304 ID: 17983e

Time to enter the dream world.
Dream about your past, maybe the crime you did that got you imprisoned.
>>
No. 1013305 ID: 96c896

>>1013302
Please don't drown in a puddle of mud, that's an embarrassing way to die.
>>
No. 1013307 ID: 2c9826

>>1013302
Now that's a great way of procrastination.
>>
No. 1013308 ID: 2aa5f0

you just cleaned yourself up as well lady.
>>
No. 1013309 ID: 094652

That's so cute, she's drowning limp in a puddle of mud.
Flaaashbaaack...
>>
No. 1013312 ID: f8fa51

Uhhh... try not to drown?
>>
No. 1013313 ID: 8483cf

Faceplant successful! Hooray!
>>
No. 1013315 ID: 73380d

>>1013304
Yes! YES! DREAM WORLD TIME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1nZZ12_Wk
>>
No. 1013324 ID: 39d938
File 163479600733.png - (397.11KB , 800x600 , RTS19.png )
1013324

>"There you are, Pascoe. Hard first day?"
"zzz"
>"If I had known you were going to have this hard a time, I would've come with you. I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow."
>>
No. 1013325 ID: 39d938
File 163479602430.png - (428.56KB , 800x600 , RTS20.png )
1013325

>"Let’s get you cleaned up. A mud puddle is no place to take a map. Just remember that matter how hard things get, we'll be here for you. Through rain, through mud, through snow or heat or gloom of night. We're in this together."
>>
No. 1013326 ID: 39d938
File 163479604749.png - (408.41KB , 800x600 , RTS21.png )
1013326

You are now following Pascoe.

I'm uh, not exactly sure what's going on. Everything just went by so fast. I met someone who looked just like me. We swapped outfits for some reason. I'm now being pulled by something through the grass. There are three aves to my back that tied me to whatever this animal is. I'm not exactly sure where they are taking me. What should I do?
>>
No. 1013327 ID: 8483cf

What're you asking us for? Ask the aves what's going on and why this outfit is so tight in the crotch.
>>
No. 1013328 ID: 2aa5f0

turn towards whoever is dragging you and ask if there is a particular reason why you're being dragged by rope through the rain. Might as well figure out how fucked you are before deciding how to properly react.
>>
No. 1013329 ID: 96c896

>>1013326
Your legs are free...
Nibble at the rope. Once you're free of the animal you can run for it.
>>
No. 1013330 ID: a2493c

>>1013326
you have a sharp beak, use it!
>>
No. 1013334 ID: 9a2966

>>1013326
Firstly admit to yourself that meeting the opposite gender and then blindly falling for their 'Can I try out your really cool outfit, handsome, here, wear mine meanwhile' might've been a teensy bit stupid. But, like, that was a fellow chimera lady! You just got caught up in the excitement of the moment and meeting someone so much like you.

... and landed yourself in some deep dodo. It's pretty clear she traded places deliberately. How're you gonna explain your way out of this? Everyone knows Aves can't tell chimera genders apart!

Oh! You could try to get these aves to verify your gender. Think of something sexy! Like that chimera lady! Granted, that would only work if the aves knew the chimera was a woman in the first place. Also, it'd be hella embarrassing to actually... you know, just sit here, tied up, dragged across the ground and -- uh, think of a better plan, quick!

Maybe... try to just tell the truth in an undeniable manner? If you say something that can be verified as news that an inmate or prisoner, whatever that lady was, couldn't have known, you might have a shot at being heard out. Anything recent that happened - since you just arrived here - noteworthy or not. As long as it's verifiable and you can get whoever's in charge of these people to check it out, it should work.

Like, things only you would know, too. Repeating your conversation and the events of what happened during your visit at the Postmaster's office - and getting them to contact and verify with them these events - could be one way.

So there. It might take a bit, but you'll get out of this yet!

"Hey fellas, I'm not who you think I am. I'm with the Post Office, and I got duped into swapping clothes with another chimera, much similar to me. And yes, that sounds stupid, but I can prove it."
>>
No. 1013339 ID: 5d9787

If I remember correctly, wasn't that the first chimera you've met? From you point of view this is the first girl you have ever see!
How was it? Puppy love? Did you lose yourself in the eyes of the person you were meant to be with during an encounter arranged by destiny? Did you get heartbroken when she beat you up and steal your stuff?

See what you can figure out by looking around. Save your questions until after you are convinced you won't get beaten again if you call the attention of the wrong person.
>>
No. 1013346 ID: 39d938
File 163483269480.png - (373.26KB , 800x600 , RTS22.png )
1013346

>Wasn't that the first chimera you've met?
I guess... She? I guess she was. Assuming she was real, and I haven't gone crazy. The whole encounter was strange.
>How was it? Puppy love? Did you get heartbroken when she beat you up and steal your stuff?
It was dark and I could barely see a thing. There was a scuffle, but I'm somewhat relived to know it wasn't anything personal...
>Ask the aves what's going on and why this outfit is so tight in the crotch
This shirt isn't tight. I guess the ropes are.
>See what you can figure out by looking around
Lots of jungle. In front of me are two guards, and in front of them is a large mammal that is currently dragging me. in front of that animal is another ave holding a lantern.
>Nibble at the rope.
>you have a sharp beak, use it!
I start to bite the rope in an attempt to free myself. Evidently, my beak isn't as sharp as I thought. That or the rope is very tough. One of the guards in front notices.
>"C-classic R-r-rein-ner! I'd be disappointed if you did-did... didn't try that!"
Seems that the orange ave has a severe speech impediment. Also seems that they won't harm me for talking.


"Is there a particular reason why I'm being dragged by rope through the rain?"
>"You forget? We're br-br-bringing you b-back to prison, s-s-...silly!"

"I'm not who you think I am. I'm a postal worker who swapped clothes with an escaped prisoner that looked like me. It may be hard to believe, but I can prove it"
>What a s-s-story, Reiner! Unfor-for-fortunately for you-you, we've been gi- gi- gi- gi-...
"We've been given orders not to listen to anything you say."
>"Thanks!"
I suppose that rules out telling them the truth.

Seems I can try ask them questions so long as they are willing to answer. Not much I can do until they bring me to where they are taking me. I could try getting a better look at the animal and ave out in front, not that it improves my situation much.
>>
No. 1013347 ID: 2aa5f0

huh, do I really sound like this Reiner person? I mean I found it a bit weird that I ran into another Grif that looked a lot like me but do we really sound alike as well?

Oh and what did this chick do to land her in prison and what prison am I being dragged off to?
>>
No. 1013348 ID: ce39da

They're not walking very fast, are they? Try getting up and walking alongside them.

"I'm a guy, though! And I'm pretty sure she wasn't? Shouldn't there be someone who can check that?"
>>
No. 1013358 ID: 558e3d

Think, Pascoe, think! What makes a boy chimera different from a girl chimera?
And don't instinct! You must put it into words, Pascoe!
You must find The Ultimate Proof That Makes It Obvious(tm) and make your captors understand the error of their ways!
>>
No. 1013375 ID: 53560f

“So, let’s just say for a moment that I’m not Rainier, who are they?”
>>
No. 1013380 ID: ab2e9c

You seem unnaturally calm dispite the situation you are in.
>>
No. 1013405 ID: 39d938
File 163488388384.png - (395.92KB , 800x600 , RTS23.png )
1013405

>You seem unnaturally calm despite the situation you are in.
There's always a way out of every situation. At least that's how I see it. This is all just a big misunderstanding, so I have no reason to be concerned... right?

>Try walking alongside them
I get on my feet and move up to where they are walking.
"Do this Reiner person and I really sound alike"
>"All of y-you chi-chi-chimer-mer-mera sound alike to aves l-l-like us."

"So, let’s just say for a moment that I’m not Reiner, who are they?"
>"Are y-y-you trying this who-whole thing again? Faking m-m-m-memory loss isn't gonna ge-get you out of pr-pr...pr-pr-"
"Prison."
>"Thanks!"
"Can I talk to the brown ave instead?"
“...”
>"He d-d-doesn't t-talk."
"But he just... ok, Whatever. So, if I'm Reiner, what did I do to get into prison."
>"Did you forg-g-get about-bout being a p-p-p...pi-pi-pir..."
"Pirate."
>Thanks!
"Listen, I'm a male pseudogryph, and I can prove it."
>"How?"
"Well... I can show you."
>...Cut it out, Reiner, you're making me uncomfortable."
"Huh?"
>"B-b-besides, you r-r-really wan-wanna go to the male ch-ch-chimera prison? It isn't ea-eas-easier to es-esc-c-cape, that's for s-sure. If we made a mis-mis-t-t-take, take it up with the vice w-w-w... w-w"
"You can do it, buddy."
>"w-w-war-war-WARDEN! Thanks!"

Seems that I'll need to talk to this vice warden if I actually want to be taken seriously. For now, if I want a more coherent conversation maybe I should try talking to the ave up front.
>>
No. 1013406 ID: 8483cf

Well, do we want to try to escape, or do we want to try and prove our case of mistaken identity?

Doesn't sound like we're going to have much luck with these guys, so... escape it is!
>>
No. 1013407 ID: 2a3eda

Ask that if you actually ask to speak to the vice warden would they actually hear you out or would they just ignore you? Because if they would actually hear your case you’d like to request there presents now so you could speak to them when you get there to save everyone some time.

Also What is the name of the prison are they taking you to anyways?
>>
No. 1013409 ID: e51896

We should probably ask for a lawyer once we meet with the warden.
>>
No. 1013410 ID: 2edc7f

We'll have to ask for a chimera to tell them you are not Reiner.
>>
No. 1013420 ID: ce39da

Yeah, head out in front... while being careful to avoid getting the others caught in your ropes (for now, while talking is still an option).

"Hey, um, can I talk to this vice warden person I heard about when we get back? I believe there's been a case of mistaken identity, and I have two ways to prove it, one of which will also point you to the actual convict."

If asked to explain: "First, you can have my gender examined, and you'll find that I am not, in fact, a girl. You check this sort of thing when prisoners are admitted, right? Second, I can attest that you will probably find a field chimera postie in town named 'Pascoe.' I am Pascoe, and this 'Rainer' person you've been looking for is probably posing as me. Seeing as I have never been to the prison, and I only just started my first shift in the Pinnacles, the only way 'Rainer' (as you call me) could know of 'Pascoe's' presence here today is if the two of us encountered each other out here. Oh, and if you do find 'Pascoe,' here's a third piece of evidence; my crew knew me to be male, and examining 'him' will likely lead to a contradiction there."
>>
No. 1013508 ID: 15a025

Is there even a remote chance we can talk with the vice warden at some point when we arrive?
>>
No. 1013509 ID: e13b1d

Being the only male chimera in a women's prison is going to get you a ton of poon, man.
>>
No. 1013539 ID: 7b0b15

Nicely ask how to contact with the vice warden. Your companions in your ship will be worried and you have a schedule to adhere.

Ask if there is a way to prove them that you are not that "Rainer". You understand that they can't leave you free without their superiors approval but you are worried that no further investigation will be carried out.
>>
No. 1013548 ID: 422cea

>>1013509
Do you need a lecture on why mammalian wing-wongs don't belong in birds or something.

...Actually Pascoe and Rainer exist probably BECAUSE dared to defy that so nevermind.
>>
No. 1013552 ID: 73380d

>>1013509
ya know... this might just be an reword for a previus past life Pasco...
>>
No. 1014825 ID: bffbfd
File 163667013941.png - (294.13KB , 800x600 , RTS24.png )
1014825

The rain begins to slow down to a light drizzle. I make me way to the front towards the ave holding the lantern as I try not to entangle the ropes. The two guards converse as I get out of hearing range. I get a good look at the mammal. I have no idea what to call it, or which place it came from, but it is definitely from the new world, seeing as the old world doesn't have any native mammals. It makes me a little nervous at first, but I'm put at ease seeing how calm the aves are around it. It seems to be following the lantern.

>Well, do we want to try to escape, or do we want to try and prove our case of mistaken identity?
It's looking more and more like the former if I fail to convince anyone. But *surely* logic should prevail?
>>
No. 1014826 ID: bffbfd
File 163667016081.png - (330.27KB , 800x600 , RTS25.png )
1014826

>"You get sick of Berascus and Pecca? I'll admit that neither are great for conversation, but I still have a job to do, so don't think I'll let you distract me."
"That's fine, I just have a few questions."

>What is the name of the prison
"What's the prison called?"
>"Mamerti penitentiary. Special prison for chimera inmates both natural and unnatural. But you should already know that."
>Vice Warden
"Is there a chance I can go talk with the Vice Warden? There has been some kind of mistake."
>"You're in luck, that's who you'll be seeing once we get to the rendezvous point. The Warden is unfortunately taking a few sick days, so you'll have to deal with Mako instead."
"Unfortunately?"
>"How could you of all people not know that everybody dislikes Vice Warden Mako. Even the guards."
He pauses for a moment
>"But you didn't hear that from me."

The mammal sniffs me. Continuously. It doesn't seem to want to stop.

>Will the Vice Warden actually hear you out
"Listen, I was taken by mistake, I'm not the one you're looking for, I'm just a chimera that looks like her, and none of you aves can tell because we're a different species. Do you think the Vice Warden will hear me out?"
>"I think it's possible you're telling the truth."
"Really?"
>"Well, you are acting different, don't know if that's an act out of desperation or not, Though I'm not the one you need to convince. Vice Warden Mako will probably hear you out, but don't expect him to act reasonably."
"What do you mean?"
>"If he believed your story, he still probably wouldn't let you go."
"What? Why not?"
>"Seems you forgot what kind of prison this really is."

I don't like the sounds of that. There was still more I wanted to ask but as we round the corner it seems we're about to reach the point he was talking about.
>>
No. 1014827 ID: bffbfd
File 163667019369.png - (376.20KB , 800x600 , RTS26.png )
1014827

We walk towards a large clearing with dozens of chimeras and aves sitting around. There must be over twenty chimeras, and more guards. All of the chimeras are female, it must be some instinct because I can tell just by looking.

>"Darn it! Looks like they caught Reiner too! I thought she got away for sure this time..."
>"Why do you always get your hopes up? Nobody has ever gotten away before. They always catch us, and it's because of those mammals. their noses are too good."
>"I thought Reiner would've been willing to do anything to get away this time! guess not..."
>"Well, maybe tenth time's the charm."
>"Can I stand up? This mud is getting in my fur!"

>ya know... this might just be a reward for a previous past life Pascoe...
I don't really believe in past lives but if it means I'm not the bad luck magnet I usually am for once, I'll take it. But to tell the truth, I'm not feeling lucky.

There are quite a few pseudogryphs here, but I can recognise a few other types I've heard about. Besides the three or four plains pseudogryphs that look like me, I can see pseudodrags, pseudojacks, pseudowahe, pseudowend, a few pseudopega and a few others I can't put a name to. None of them have gotten a good look at me so none can tell I'm a male.
>>
No. 1014828 ID: bffbfd
File 163667020741.png - (282.07KB , 800x600 , RTS27.png )
1014828

The warden sees me being brought in from the corner of his eye. from what I can see of his obscured face, he wears a smug grin.

>"Ah, Reiner. How nice of you to join us. Twenty-nine minutes and thirty-eight seconds. Why are you looking so down? you almost broke your record this time! My, I hope the fresh air was worth it, because you'll be coming back to your cell very soon. Why don't you take a seat next to Askot over there?" He signals to a pseudodrag sitting a little farther from everybody else.
>"Unless you wanted to grovel, my, it might make me want to go easier on you. Your choice really."

>We'll have to ask for a chimera to tell them you are not Reiner.
I can go sit next to the chimera to try and get them to verify my claim to the Vice Warden, or I can try talk to the Vice Warden directly.
>>
No. 1014830 ID: aff048

Loudly announce yourself to the Vice Warden now. You might not get a chance later.
>>
No. 1014831 ID: c92a02

Go sit next to someone that isn't Askot and ask if they are Askot.
>>
No. 1014837 ID: 6266d5

This is delicate. I wouldn't trust the chimera in the case is friend of Reiner. Altough the warden doesn't look like will listen to you. The problem of showing your cards too soon is that all the female prisoners will know it and can bring problems, but if you don't act soon your story will lose weight.

I would prefer to first stop to observe in which situation we are and talk to the warden privately later, but there is too much in game. I vote to risk to talk in the most educate way to the Warden.
>>
No. 1014844 ID: a00309

That mammal can clearly tell you have a different scent. You should point it out as you explain yourself.
>>
No. 1014845 ID: 6a7eaf

Yeeeah he doesn’t seem overly friendly.

«O-okay. You sure got me, who is someone, alright. I’d like to speak with the Warden when they get back.»

Go sit next to Askot.

«Hi, I’m Pascoe not Reiner, but none of those aves seem to be able to tell. I’m with the Postal Alliance. Would you mind telling me about Reiner and the prison here? Haven’t seen this many pseudogryphs since I left for the New World, and the guards that jumped me suggested it wasn’t your regular kind of prison.
>>
No. 1014847 ID: ce39da

It'd probably be wise to take the guard's word that Mako really won't let you go even if he knows you're innocent. He seems the type who'd rather maintain his reputation than see actual justice done.

It might be better to go over to the chimeras and ask to be let in on the next escape attempt since the mammals don't actually have our scent - the less the vice-warden knows, the better. Heck, having "Rainer" escape "for real" in a way Mako can't possibly deny would serve them right.

"I'm good, thanks. Yo, Askot."
>>
No. 1014862 ID: 5d9787

How about not risking be reassigned to the male prison? Next time you have the opportunity to speak with a friendly guard ask who would be better to explain the situation.

Unfortunately you will be surrounded by dangerous criminals for the foreseeable future. Fortunately they are attractive lonely woman.
"Nice to meet you Askot."
>>
No. 1014889 ID: 53560f

Maybe we should hold off on telling anyone until the warden recovers from their illness so that we can plead our case to a reasonable person. Patience is a virtue after all.
>>
No. 1014899 ID: 076735

I see a big problem with the prisoners: They seem to hold Reiner in high regard.
High enough to lie on her behalf!

You can't count on them to authenticate you. You have better chances with the mammal.
>>
No. 1014905 ID: a2493c

>>1014828
Don't play cocky.
They said grovel, so grovel. I somehow doubt Rainer would do this, so it might lend some weight to us being an innocent bystander.
>>
No. 1015062 ID: 15a025

Time to suck up and Grovel since it seems like it'd be out of character for your doppelganger.
>>
No. 1015073 ID: bffbfd
File 163686458055.png - (248.50KB , 800x600 , RTS28.png )
1015073

>Go sit next to someone that isn't Askot and ask if they are Askot.
He already pointed where she was, a little late for me to feign ignorance

>How about not risking being reassigned to the male prison?
As bad a situation as this is, that could certainly be a worse outcome.

>Wait until we meet the Warden
This seems like a probable solution, but I need to get this cleared up before my crew departs to the next colony. I don't know how long the warden will be absent, but if it’s longer than two or three days, I'll need a plan B.

>ask to be let in on the next escape attempt
That might be my only reliable option, but I'll need to make friends first...

>Loudly announce yourself to the Vice Warden now. You might not get a chance later.
I try to talk a bit with the Vice Warden before I go about doing anything else, trying to make it loud and clear that there is a mistake.
"I'm not Reiner! I'm somebody else entirely, the real Reiner is still out there!"
>"My, unless my memory fails me… haven't you tried this trick before? Why, yes! You have! It didn't work then, and it won't work now." Reiner tried that? Just how desperate was she to escape?
"I can verify my claims! Look, the mammal that brought me here can tell our scents apart, and I have people on the outside who can verify who I really am!"
>"Save your cheap tricks, escape is impossible. You should know, it's the reason no chimera will ever escape. That, and because of me of course, the most committed jailer in the whole penitentiary. Unlike the warden, I've never taken a sick day in my life! That's just how dedicated I am to keeping order around here."
Several of the guards just look away and roll their eyes.
>"My, I don't even know why I waste my breath on you. Drop the act, it'll do you no good. Now take a seat, I'll be addressing all of you shortly."
"Fine I'll grovel."
>"Later! I'm thinking up my speech..."
That goes about as well as I expected. He won't even consider the possibility that an escape occurred. I take a seat next to the pseudodrag named 'Askot'

"Hey."
>"Awwww darn it! Reiner, they got you too?! You were gone so long, I thought maybe you had a chance."
"About that."
>"You sound different, you catch that sickness that's been going around?"
“Not quite.”
>>
No. 1015075 ID: bffbfd
File 163686463370.png - (147.70KB , 800x600 , RTS29.png )
1015075

She looks over to me
>"Hold on... You're not Reiner... As a matter a fact, I can't recall you from the prison at all... Wait wait wait... you're not even a female!
"Very observant. My name is Pascoe, I am employed with the Maritime Postal Alliance; New World chapter. There was a mix-up of sorts."
>"A postie? Then why are you wearing a prison outfit tied up in... wait. "
"Like I said, a mix up of sorts."
>"Does that mean-!" She stops herself when she notices how loud she was speaking, she lowers her tone and resumes.
>"Does that mean Reiner got away?!"
"With my identity! "
>"K-keep it down! If the other chimeras find out... let's just say that nothing good with come of it. "
"I have questions then, about the prison"
>"Fine! just... keep talking to me."
>>
No. 1015076 ID: 8483cf

How often does the mail get delivered?
>>
No. 1015085 ID: 5d9787

What do you mean nothing good? They will inevitable notice, so why would later be preferable to now?

What is up with the ropes? Why are you all sitting on the ground in the forest?

What is the prison like? What should I expect?
>>
No. 1015087 ID: 96c896

>>1015075
Are all the chimeras here actually criminals? There was an implication that this isn't a real prison. If not... why?
>>
No. 1015094 ID: b5c538

Not much about the experience to say she beat the piss out of me, said "nothing personal", and then took my stuff and left.
>>
No. 1015107 ID: 2aa5f0

I was told the vice warden is a total tool and that I shouldn't bother speaking to him but what about the actual warden? If I could talk to them would they actually listen to me?
>>
No. 1015111 ID: 53560f

How long do you think it will take for the warden to recover from their illness? I’d like to make my case to them before my ship departs without me.
>>
No. 1015199 ID: bffbfd
File 163695190303.png - (195.77KB , 800x600 , RTS30.png )
1015199

"What do you mean nothing good?"
>"Look, a lot of the inmates in the female section of the prison haven't had the company of a male chimera in years. I'll admit you don't look like... the most masculine of male chimeras, but if you want to stay in one piece, maybe keep it to yourself for a while, or risk starting a riot."
"What is up with the ropes?
>"To stop us from going anywhere, pretty self-evident."
"How often do inmates get their mail?"
>"It can depend. If it's coming from somewhere in the new world, maybe a few days. If it's from the old world, every couple of weeks. Not many chimeras in the prison have friends or family in the old world though, in a lot of ways many are stranded. You shouldn't expect any letters though, Rainer is alone in the world. She used to have her crew, but... yeah."

"What is the prison like? What should I expect?"
>"Get used to sticking to a schedule, there'll be a lot of that. Maybe watch your back for a while, Reiner wasn't able to make friends with everyone."
"I got the implication that this isn't a normal prison."
>"It isn't. We're not being kept here to pay for crimes, they just want to trade us off. It has its upsides and downsides. At least they don't torture us, kill us or deprive us. On the other hand, not all the options they give us for release are appealing..."
"Are all the chimeras here actually criminals?"
>"Depends on what you'd call a criminal. Someone who committed a crime? Then yes. The severity of the crime however doesn't always have to be severe. There are people in here for stealing bread."
"Would the actual Warden listen to me? that I'm not Reiner?"
>"Absolutely. One look at you and that'd be enough to tell. On top of that, Reiner had a notorious reputation for having run ins with the Warden, so the two were well acquainted. The Warden is a good person who is fair to chimeras, unlike that tool, Mako."
"How long will it be until the Warden recovers from sickness?"
>"Could take a few days, and nobody is happy about it. Nobody except Mako, who thinks he runs the place now. Fortunately, he doesn't have any of the actual authority that the Warden does, otherwise he'd be thinking up harsh punishments for us right now. Worst he can do is relocate what cell we stay in for a dozen hours, which you may want, seeing as what you -- I mean, seeing as what Reiner did to her cellmate."
"What?"
>"When Mako comes over, he'll ask which you'll prefer, to go back to your normal cell with your cellmate, A very disgruntled pseudojack, or to be relocated to F block, the place where some of the... above the neck chimeras are kept... When Mako comes over, I hope you'll have made up your mind."
"Wait, hold on-"
Mako is now starting his speech, and will probably come over once he is done, I should make up my mind before he finishes. I don’t understand either of my options but I think I should think of which one to lean towards.
>>
No. 1015205 ID: 8483cf

Full or above-neck chimeras! Let's take our chances with the area with presumably better security. Hopefully. Feathers crossed.
>>
No. 1015206 ID: 401b30

>>1015199
"Above the neck" ones?

Sorry but what? Kinda went over my head.
>>
No. 1015207 ID: 082b42

Above neck guys
>>
No. 1015214 ID: 076735

Do we need to briar-patch Mako?
>>
No. 1015215 ID: f8fa51

Why would the "above-the-neck" chimeras be kept separate from the other chimeras? And why only some of them? I don't understand this situation, but making sudden changes to our location sounds like a bad idea, especially if we're hoping to get rescued.
>>
No. 1015216 ID: 457dad

So what did she do to her last cell mate and what in the world does above the neck mean and how does it compare to going back to her normal cell?
>>
No. 1015221 ID: 9a2966

So the New World's prison system (at least for chimeras, in this particular region) is clearly exploitative (and how, if it's all about selling prisoners, yeesh). But the Warden is a fine enough fellow, seems? While his Vice-Warden has a hard-on for 'justice' or cruel and unusual punishments.

>nothing good = unwanted advances
Oooh. Yeah, you'd probably want to avoid that.

So it sounds like the choice is between dealing with a very disgruntled former cellmate of Reiner's (which might be fine once they realize we're not Reiner) or be moved to the cells of the women with weird chimeric heads (which might make them harder to communicate with?).

Uh, well... you're no good in a fight, as established, so if it takes you a bit to convince the cellmate you could be in trouble, and you can probably make friends with the chimera-headed even if there's conversational difficulties. And it's only for a dozen hours. Plus, you might see some chimera types you haven't before. That's an adventure, right?

Relocate to the F block! Hopefully it should be very obvious whether we need to briar patch Mako or not by how he's acting.
>>
No. 1015223 ID: 5d9787

If a pseudodragon can identify Pascoe sex this pseudojack will likely notice we are not the person who wronged her. I don't know why the above the neck chimeras are undesirable companionship, but I would prefer not finding out.

Tell me more about how much interest there is in the not most masculine of male chimeras.
>>
No. 1015224 ID: 6266d5

By "Abobe the neck" I understand that they are "Mammals up to above the neck". In this world, if I get it right, only aves are sentient and chimeras are more feral the more mamals they are.

I don't think that Pascoe is the kind of person which get along easily with animals, so dealing with more savage people or maybe feral persons might be a nightmare of night (especially for the same problem of being male in a female prison). The good part is that I doubt they will say anything about us or at least they will not be played attention.

That pseudojack might give us an initial beating and then we will risk to don't get along with her (we can play the card that both of us has been played out by Reiner). Even with the problem of her not getting along with us and trying to extort us, we have more chances of diplomacy.

Unless Pascoe is very good with animals and more bestial chimeras, I would chose Reiner's cell.

>>1015076

That could be a good idea, though by how they treat the prisoners I doubt they will let us write letters. We might try to write a letter directed to our next destination's post office building to one of our companions. If we can, we can also write another letter to the post master in the old world as some plan C if things get sour in here.
>>
No. 1015231 ID: a2493c

>>1015199
former room-mate.
1: we're not reiner, and we can patch over problems with a single person better than a group.
2: we will be dealing with one known belligerent, rather than a potential group of them.

I feel like playing the odds here.
>>
No. 1015246 ID: 73380d

>>1015215
dey noy burbs so dey BAD! people!
>>
No. 1015260 ID: 5378af

I say go with the former cell mate
>>
No. 1015336 ID: bffbfd
File 163705646774.png - (246.07KB , 800x600 , RTS31.png )
1015336

>"Alright, listen up! Clearly, the events of what we see here today should make one thing perfectly clear; Escape is impossible. After all these years, you'd think that'd be pretty obvious. But understand that neither I, nor the Warden, are mad at any of you. However, I think I speak on the warden's behalf when I say we're all very disappointed in you all! Especially with how hard we try to be fair! You know, if you were aves, you'd have all probably been sent to the gallows by now. But despite you all being dirty criminals and petty thieves, we still give you options for rehabilitation! But until you all learn that, this is just going to keep happening. As you all know, the Warden has limited my capabilities on how I can deal out punishments, but when the warden recovers, we'll think of severe consequences befitting of yet another of these feeble escape attempts. If anybody has a problem with how I run things, then maybe a trip to F block should give you time to reconsider."
There are a few groans and sighs coming from the chimeras. I'm not sure what that's about.
>>
No. 1015337 ID: bffbfd
File 163705648984.png - (188.93KB , 800x600 , RTS32.png )
1015337

I turn to Askot
"What did Reiner do to her cellmate?"
>"What didn't she do? they were like mortal enemies. The most recent thing is the worst though, Reiner scratched out one of her eyes by accident and sent her to the infirmary for weeks. Apparently, they eye doesn't look likely to recover. Why do you think Reiner wanted to get out so bad? If you get thrown into that dark cell all tied up, she may begin to take out her frustrations. I'm sure after clearing up the misconception, you can both bond over how you both got screwed over by Reiner. She will be furious knowing that Reiner is free though.
>Why would the above the neck chimeras be kept from the other chimeras.
I have no idea. This is the first time I have even heard of above the neck chimeras existing. If I had to guess, they probably aren't naturally occurring.

>Briar Patch Mako
If being with the 'above the neck' chimeras is the preferable place to be when he thinks it's a punishment, I'd suppose so.
As was predicted, Mako makes his way to where Askot and I are sitting.
>"Now, as for you two, how’s about we make this quick so I can take the rest of the night off, what’ll the punishment be? My, I think I have just the thing! How would you two like new cellmates for the night?"
"I'll cast a vote for you."
>"Your regular cell it is! How about you Reiner? I hear your regular cellmate has been dying to meet you since her recovery. I would certainly hate to separate such good friends, but you must learn from your mistakes. Does F block sound appealing to you? My, they certainly get very lonely over there, not having a cell to share with anyone. I won't be cruel by pairing you up with any of the wild minded ones. Guess that leaves a choice between Plaintooth and Snowball. Or... perhaps I can arrange you go to your regular cell... If you cast a vote for me in the next warden election?"
What kind of prison elects its warden???

Seems my choices are Reiner’s regular cellmate, or a choice between two other chimeras named 'Plaintooth' and 'Snowball'

Should I even bother getting Askot to verify my identity? It seems as though she will try throw me under the wagon to give her friend time to get away.
>>
No. 1015338 ID: 5d9787

Election? The prisoners vote? What?
Can you at least tell me what an above the neck chimeras is? I don't even know why I should be scared of them, but this offer has being so ominous I'm even more convinced into choosing Reiner's disgruntle ex-cellmate.
>>
No. 1015339 ID: 96c896

Go with F block. Think of this as investigative journalism. You're going to get out eventually, and you'll be able to tell the world just how fucked up the place is.
>>
No. 1015340 ID: ae4a08

>>1015337
well at least plaintooth has plain teeth. never know what kind of dangers lurk in the snow. go with plaintooth
>>
No. 1015341 ID: ae4a08

>>1015337
also lol mako is dumb as a bag of hammers, if you were actually Rainer theres nothing stopping you from just lying and saying youll vote for him and then not doing it. he has no power as vice warden if he lost so he couldnt do anything about it. what a chump.
>>
No. 1015342 ID: ae4a08

>>1015341
but yeah go with F block just to spite him. in fact tell him about how dumb he is while doing it. what a loser.
>>
No. 1015343 ID: ab61f6

>>1015342
If we're going down this road, do so by telling him F block is preferable to that smug smile of his (implying you want your real cell but would rather lose it than beg for it).
>>
No. 1015345 ID: 279c23

Does the F in F block stand for feral or fuck? The answer really maters here I feel.
>>
No. 1015348 ID: dfbac0

F block, if they vote for their warden maybe you can find a way to get them to vote in a warden who's more sympathetic to your cause.
>>
No. 1015364 ID: ce39da

Briar patch your way into your regular cell; once you get over the "looks like Rainer" hump, you'll have a staunch ally. Refuge in audacity time!

"Oh, please! Anything but my cellmate! But... I can lie about my vote, can't I? I should do something that can't be taken back, like... what if I ate you out right here? Honestly, heck, that sounds pretty hot. Let's put on a show!" This doubles somewhat as petty revenge, putting these verbal atrocities into Rainer's mouth.
>>
No. 1015365 ID: 5378af

Lets go with the original cell, I feel like above neck chimeras are not very nice
>>
No. 1015366 ID: 9a2966

Oookay, let's not get involved in a vendetta over an eye.

>>1015337
Stick with the plan, which is to try to get a meet with the main Warden, since this one seems, um, not as reasonable-sounding and already dismissed you out of hand. Not sure, indeed, if you can trust Askot to verify for you, but even if she did, all you'd do with this guy is land in the male prison.

Say what you need to go to F block. Snowball seems the most innucous of the two names.
>>
No. 1015383 ID: 235ba5

Plaintooth.
Snowball is like, definitely just white-feathered, right?
We need to know what makes a tooth "plain" in a world of birds.
>>
No. 1015391 ID: 8483cf

Snowball!
>>
No. 1015406 ID: c92a02

Given your track record with the visually impaired, let's go with Snowball.
>>
No. 1015427 ID: a7d6c9

Well, I hope we can't keep your promise to vote for him. And even if I feel the most secure way out of here is a beating from Rainer's cellmate, I am awfully curious about those chimera.

(I think the best solution would be Reiner's cell but I vote for drama: Snowball sounds fluffy)
>>
No. 1015495 ID: 73380d

snowball sounds like and obvious trap, whom might planetooth be? Ill go with them...
>>
No. 1015543 ID: 6e03b6

Try Plaintooth.
>>
No. 1015612 ID: bffbfd
File 163740655619.png - (308.62KB , 800x600 , RTS33.png )
1015612

>F block just to spite him
"While I would love nothing more than to move back to the confines of my cosy cell with my undoubtedly loving and doting cellmate, I would rather go the night with those no-good above the neck chimeras in F block if it meant I didn't have to vote for you!"
>"My! Finally come back to your normal attitude, have you? While it is nice to see you drop the act, I can't help but miss this timid mystery chimera."
"Cry me a river!" I blow a raspberry. I wouldn't do this normally, but I feel like it is important to act like whoever this Reiner person is, because getting put in a male prison seems like the worst-case scenario.
>"So, who will it be? Plaintooth or Snowball?"
"Snowball"
>"My, such a quick response! Nobody ever chooses Plaintooth. I can't blame you though, she creeps me out too. Maybe she gets lonely, but then again, who cares? Berascus."
"Y-y-yes?"
>"Bring him to F-block. He'll be staying in Snowball's cell for tonight."
G-gotcha!

Askot looks over to me as we begin to part ways.
"See you first thing tomorrow, 'Reiner.' Don't let anybody find out about our little secret, ok?"
"Since when did I agree to keep it a secret?"
"You'll want to, unless you want to complicate things." We walk too far away to hear each other.

"So, uh, what does F block stand for?"
"I-I-It's alphabetic-c-cal o-o-order. You know, a-a-A, b-b-B, c-c-c-C..."
"I get it!"
>>
No. 1015614 ID: bffbfd
File 163740664147.png - (368.24KB , 800x600 , RTS34.png )
1015614

We walk for a while to get to the prison, and once we are inside it is pretty dark. They take my ropes off and put me in handcuffs. We go through a bunch of hallways until we are outside again, this time on a stone bridge leading up to a separate building, shaped more like a tower. I'm not sure why this area of the prison is so secluded from the rest, but this must be what they call F block.

We walk down the quiet halls of F block until something huge looms over the corner of my eye.
"Ahhh!"
A large mammal creature, bigger than any person I have ever seen stands a small distance away, poking her head out between the cell bars. She looks over to the gaurd.
"Hey Stutter, my shackles are feeling reeeeaaal loose! You should come in here and tighten' them for me!"
>"K-k-keep that f-f-forked toungue behind your t-t-t-teeth, plaintooth! And st-t-t-top calling me th-that!"
"Oh? Who is this you've brought with you? Could it be? Reiner the cooler queen herself? Coming to be cellmates with me?"
>"This one is g-g-going to S-Snowball."
"But people always choose Snowball over me! Is it because she isn't a full chimera like I am? How cruel~"
>"M-m-must be y-yo-your toothy g-gr-grr... g-grin."
"I can't help having such a pretty smile!"
>>
No. 1015615 ID: bffbfd
File 163740673881.png - (199.88KB , 800x600 , RTS35.png )
1015615

She leers in to get a closer look at me.
"Hey Reiner, you're looking a little different... Oh! I know what it is! That scar on your cheek fully healed! that was quick. I'm guessing the escape didn't work this time around either? Maybe you should try something new this time around."
"I'm not Reiner!"
"hmmmmm... I think you tried that one before. A bold strategy, let's see if it pays off!"
"You can't tell that I'm a different person?"
"Do I look like a Natty Chimera to you? Nah. Lots of you look the same."
If this is Plaintooth then I might have dodged a bullet. I don't want to speak too soon though.
>>
No. 1015616 ID: bffbfd
File 163740676490.png - (399.00KB , 800x600 , RTS36.png )
1015616

We walk along to the cell next door, the guard opens the cell door and lets me in, closing it after I go inside. In front of me sits she who is apparently referred to as 'Snowball'
>"C-c-call for m-me if you need any th-th-thing. N-n-not that y-you sh-sh-s-sh-should. Snowball is v-v-vvvv... v-very t-t-t-timid."

I stand for a bit, she doesn't react to me walking in, staying silent. She looks at the moon outside the window. Going by appearances she doesn't seem like any ordinary chimera, with ave feathers and legs below her waist, with the top half being some sort of mammal with white fur. Being around aves all my life, this sudden change in the people I'm meeting today is a little jarring.

What should I say?
>>
No. 1015617 ID: 076735

>>1015616
SHOULD you say anything?
>>
No. 1015618 ID: 2de4fd

Sit down, give her some space, let her approach you if she's going to. You can just say hello if you want to at least give her the courtesy, which could be good.
>>
No. 1015622 ID: 5d9787

Notice Mako referred to Pascoe as he and him. Unless the guard who complained about the vice warden told him that was the claim he shouldn't know.

"Hello, nice to meet you."
"Do you like the clear night sky? It looks beautiful tonight"
"Your fur is very pretty."
>>
No. 1015623 ID: 4e2458

Greet her, introduce yourself and let her say what she wills, if anything.

You might want to maneuver around to get a peek on her face... and you might also want to consider the sleeping arrangements here. Are there two cots?
>>
No. 1015629 ID: 2aa5f0

uh say hi and look at the moon with her... not really sure you can do much else right now.
>>
No. 1015634 ID: a2493c

>>1015612
>refers to you as a he several times

oh

oh this motherfucker KNOWS we're not them and just doesn't give a fuck huh
>>
No. 1015635 ID: a2493c

>>1015616
just sit down and appreciate the moon with 'em. They seem a bit focused on that.
>>
No. 1015657 ID: 1f86a7

>If this is Plaintooth then I might have dodged a bullet. I don't want to speak too soon though.

But she looks cool...

Now seriously, without actually knowing how she will react maybe it's better to let her take the first step. Look the moon and relax while you can.
>>
No. 1015672 ID: 235ba5

>>1015615
Unf.
You really missed out on a fun night, Pascoe.
Look at those TEETH.
>>1015616
Hit her with the classic "Good evening".
Work the ol' Pascoe charm so she doesn't murder you horribly.
>>
No. 1015683 ID: 73380d

>>1015616
stay silent, keep far enughf from the bars so the gards don't kick you... sleep slowly barley closing your eyes.
they know you are there, they chose not to acknowledge you, talking to them will not benefit you. tomorrow will bring challenges and opertunity.
>>
No. 1015685 ID: 094652

"Delivery."
>>
No. 1015686 ID: bffbfd
File 163747263382.png - (259.31KB , 800x600 , RTS37.png )
1015686

Accidently had Mako refer to Pascoe as a male instead of female. To clarify, this was not intentional on my part.

>You really missed out on a fun night, Pascoe. Look at those TEETH.
Teeth aren't comforting! Not that I have much experience with things with teeth. We have lots of lizards in the old world, but these mammals wear them differently...

>Sleeping arrangements
I don't see any cots. There is a pile of straw with white fur mixed in, I suppose if you can call that a place to sleep

>SHOULD you say something?
I'm not sure, but I can't see it doing any harm. It's either that or be awkwardly silent for the rest of the night.

I take a seat on the ground next to her but not too close as to give some space. I manoeuvre in a way to get a good look at her face. She looks a lot friendlier than Plaintooth, despite having teeth.

"So... the uh... moon... looks nice tonight..."
>"I think so. I do like to look at it. I don't get to see many pretty things."
She speaks very softly.

...

>"I'm not sure I recognize you. You look a bit like Reiner, but you seem different."
"My name is Pascoe, and I'm here because of a mix up. I won't be here for long once everything gets sorted out. Soooo... yeah."
>"You're new here?"
"I just got here."
>"Does that mean... you know about the outside?"
"I've been outside all my life."

...

>"Could you tell me about it, Pascoe? Please?"
"You don't know about the outside world?"
>"Not since I became this. Talking to Plaintooth and reading books only tells me so much."

I can talk about the outside world from my perspective, not that I have much to tell having lived in one place most my life. I can ask her questions about the prison and how it operates. I could ask her questions about herself or Plaintooth if I'm curious enough to know about them. Or I can ask any other questions she might know the answer to.
>>
No. 1015687 ID: 8483cf

Let's take turns sharing stories! Ask her about the warden, and tell her about your friends.

Also tell her about a thing called pen pals, maybe she needs a companion.
>>
No. 1015688 ID: 8a51ec

She seems rather sweet for someone you had to choose between Plaintooth as cellmates, that's a little questionable. At least admit you aren't the best source of info on the outside world before telling her anything about it.
>>
No. 1015689 ID: c92a02

You get to talk to Plaintooth a lot, hm?
Start with telling her a bit about life on the outside, how chimeras aren't terribly well liked out there either, but also about beaches and fairs and plays by candlelight.
At some point, you should make an aside to ask what she usually does during the day. Best to be prepared for what her cell is like in the mornings.
>>
No. 1015690 ID: 53560f

Trade stories about each other’s lives and experiences.
Maybe ask her what she’s in for?
>>
No. 1015692 ID: 2aa5f0

you could tell her what life was like back home and then compare it to your time on the frontier. She might like the contrast.
>>
No. 1015693 ID: 5d9787

Hold on questions that goes against what she is asking. You still don't know why she wear shackles so robust and tight, so try to be on her good side until you feel it's safe.

From what she said it's not entirely clear if she doesn't know about what lies beyond this island or the prison walls. Describe the places you've being through in reverse order and see how she react. The floating peaks above the endless fog, the portal to the sea, the quaint lawless town and finally civilization. Elaborate on the details if and as she ask.

Notice she can distinguish you from Reiner when aves and Plaintooth couldn't. Why is that?
Ask how she became this. What even is this? And what she used to look like?
It may not be an adequate consolation, but tell her she looks beautiful.
>>
No. 1015694 ID: 73380d

>>1015686
ask if she is blind, if so, ask for her palm rub her palm with you finger, show her the lay out of your town and features of aves yards if thire kitchen is far from the house if in the event it caches fire not everything is lost.(speak softly as to not anger prisoners trying to sleep)
>>
No. 1015705 ID: 50af53

Can she see it the bars? Maybe offer your shoulders for her to stand on.
>>
No. 1015709 ID: a2493c

>>1015694

don't do this, she clearly isn't blind. where did you even get that?

As for what we talk about, I suppose we should focus on forming a bond here. Tell her of our life, Pascoe. Tell her of the mail.
>>
No. 1015721 ID: ed0bbf

>>1015686
Tell her about your adventures in the New World so far.

Everything, names, events, etc. Consider it practice for when you get to meet the Warden.
>>
No. 1015724 ID: 4211c6

Tell her about how your home was, the townsfolk working for income and cultivating the fields, the artisans crafting their wares, merchants trading goods... and couriers delivering mail. Tell her about families, parents and sons, about hearing grandparents stories and of siting around the fireplace to keep warm. Tell her about the boats floating over the skys, about wells that suck the water from the insides of the earth, about the metalworkers hiting metals from rocks into objects and sewers treading plants into clothes and blankets.

Adventures are fancy for braging, but if she is ignorant of the outside these things might give her a better view of the world.

Ask in exchange for her to tell you about how things work in prison and to keep the secret for a bit of time.
>>
No. 1015889 ID: c0641b

>>1015686

No sense not to, and since Plaintooth seems to be more bark than bite (sorry, I had to), maybe we can chat with them both a time and discuss things. If two separate people can attest that we know a heck of a lot more about The Outside (and the postal system!) than Reiner ever could, that would work in our favor.
>>
No. 1016312 ID: 15a025

Quite the interesting duo down here.

Share some stories about your exploits in the new world so far. You've met quite the interesting group of Aves so far.
>>
No. 1016354 ID: 73380d

she is distracted and staring up, take this opportunity to throw the Hardiest jab your birddy bones can throw, RIGHT AT HER JAW! make it a K.O.

common you have free will don't you?
>>
No. 1016404 ID: 2de4fd

Sure, why not? Absolutely do so.
>>
No. 1016459 ID: d831d2

>Not since I became this.
>became

That implies...
She used to be either Ave or Chimera.
Also that she became this way by mishap... or...
Somebody caused it.
>>
No. 1016509 ID: 42aee0

Mmmh... Snowball seems nice but Plainthoot is THICC. Don't you like THICCness Pascoe? We must embrace THICC, so ask the jailer to go with the THICC lady. They will surely understand.
>>
No. 1016510 ID: 9a2966

>>1016459
It's been mentioned that the New World has some freak magic transformative stuff going on, yeah.
>>
No. 1016532 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163841519567.png - (436.77KB , 800x600 , RTS38.png )
1016532

>Jab her
What? No! She's nice.

>Notice she can distinguish you from Reiner when aves and Plaintooth couldn't. Why is that?
"How did you know I wasn't Reiner?"
>"You act different from her. She tends to be a little more... abrasive? I'm not sure how I'd describe her accurately."

"What can you tell me about the warden?"
>"The Warden treats the inmates very well. Much fairer than how ave prisons are run."
"I'm guessing you get to speak a lot to the one in the cell next door?"
>"I do get to talk to her a lot, yes. However we do differ a lot in terms of interests. She isn't much for reading or sharing poetry, and the only books she likes are the ones with pictures in them."
"You seem rather... timid and sweet to be put in a prison like this, what are you in for?"
>"Nothing. Well, nothing that I did. The person who I was before I became this committed some sort of crime."
"Before you became that?"
>"Yes, when I was an ave."
"What... made you become that? A chimera, that is."
>"Body altering anomalies in the New World. For me and many others, it was the result of an anomalous pit of tar. I fell in headfirst and was only in there for half a minute before being pulled out. Above a vertical cut upward from my left hand to my right bicep is my mammal half. Everything below Is the ave I was originally, and I have no memories of the ave that used to be in the place of my mammal half. I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful though, apparently people like Plaintooth and I are the lucky ones. Most above the neck chimeras lose their minds. Or are at least unresponsive to most forms of direct conversation. For example, there's someone in the cell across who will only listen to you if you talk about hugs or sugar."
"You could use a pen pal, seems you could use a companion."
>"I would need someone to write to. I don't really have any mutuals on the outside. There is one person I know somewhat, but he thinks there might be some of who I used to be left in me. He visits every so often, but I can see that what I am breaks his heart."
"Can you tell me how the prison works?"
>"F block inmates have a different experience from the general population, so I'm afraid I cannot tell you much. From what I hear you get let out of your cell a whole lot. There's a yard and a place to eat and everything. As far as a prison goes, this one allows for a fair amount of freedom, though I hear stuff in the male prison is a lot stricter because of how violent the inmates tend to be."
>>
No. 1016533 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163841522781.png - (343.18KB , 800x600 , RTS39.png )
1016533

>Tell her about your time in the New World
That's just the thing, I've only started my time in the New World, and I've already been caught up in some mess. I won't complain because I was told to expect problems. Though I'll admit that I wasn't expecting this.

"I'm not the best source for information on the outside world."
>"That's fine."
>Tell her of our life, Pascoe. Tell her of the mail.
"Well, I guess I'll talk about the old world, where I come from. starting from the beginning - I've been alone."
>"I can relate so far."
"Yeah, never had any family I knew of. Never even knew who my parents were. Story goes that I was mailed to the post office of a town via an unmarked package. The workers didn't really know what to do with me so they let me stick around until someone came to pick me up. Obviously, that never happened. When I became old enough - which isn't that old, I became a worker to earn my living."
"You are a postal worker?"
"Yes. It became less my job and more how my life was. Anyway, if I were to best describe the town I came from, it was your classic backwoods ave town, houses built inside and outside of huge trees as tall as you could see. You don't get trees quite as big as that in the new world, so they build everything on the ground here. But it was nice... I liked going across all of ziplines and crossing all the bridges. Despite what one may think, nobody ever treated me any different from an ave."
>"That city sounds wonderful. You chose to deliver to the new world instead?"
"I wanted... something."
>"Like what?"
"I wanted something to want. Everybody wants something. Except me. I'm surrounded by dreamers, and I deliver mail, and so... I really feel like I'm missing out."
>"Pascoe? Are you ok?"
"What? oh. Yeah, I'm fine... They say that those who go to the new world looking for something will always find it. But what am I looking for? Will I find anything even if I’m not looking?"
>"I sincerely hope you can figure it out. We have all night to talk. or if you are tired you can sleep in my bed. You can have it all to yourself because I sleep during the day. We can talk about anything, like the stuff I've read in books, or any more questions you may have about Plaintooth and I."
>>
No. 1016534 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163841526340.png - (329.02KB , 800x600 , RTS40.png )
1016534

A brick from the wall grinds loudly as it abruptly slides from the wall making a loud thud as it falls to the floor, a snout now poking through the newly created hole in the wall.

"I HEARD MY NAME, ARE YOU DWEEBS TALKING ABOUT ME?"
Ah, it's Plaintooth.
>"I don't think you would be interested in anything we are discussing."
"Nonsense! I can pretend to be totally interested in whatever you were saying just now."
>"I see. Would you like to choose what we talk about?"
"How about we talk about our feelings! and our hopes and dreams!"
>"I dream of seeing the natural beauty of the world. Waterfalls and rivers, flora, and fauna... I would love that and so much more."
"I... want to know what my dream is. Hopefully it involves more than delivering mail."
>"How about you, Plaintooth? what's your dream?"
"Me? pfffft. I don't have any dreams! Nope. Not me."
>"Alright."
"Fine! but only if you quit bugging me about it! My dream is to have... a uniform!"
>"That's new."
"Yeah, I saw it in one of those books! Hundreds and hundreds of those funny little ave guys, all standing in groups wearing uniforms! Think I could get something like that made for me?"
>"I think you're a little big for anything that comes in ave sizes."
"You know, I have a uniform."
"Prisoner uniforms don't count! I mean something like the guards wear. Something that lets others know that I'm part of something. Also needs a hat."
>"Why don't you try becoming part of something?"
"Because I'm in jaiiiiiil!"
>"They can let you out you know. The warden gave you a deal."
"You make it sound so simple. I still have to think about it. So, Reiner, what's cool with you? Wanna buy a weapon?"

Looks like Plaintooth is available for conversation now. I can ask any questions directed at Plaintooth or Snowball or do any number of other exciting things one can do in a prison cell. When I'm done with that, I should get some rest, and maybe think through my plans on getting out of this situation. Now that I think about it... I really hope that last package got delivered...
>>
No. 1016535 ID: f8fa51

>>1016534
Our current living conditions don't appear to necessitate a weapon, but it could be prudent to think about acquiring one. However, we don't have anything to trade with.
>>
No. 1016537 ID: 21af3f

Ask plaintooth if she’d like to be a postal worker, they get uniforms, the get to travel and see the world as they deliver packages, and if you stick to the new world you’ll probably get them into a fight every now and again if you like that sort of thing. Hey maybe snowball would like to try for being a postal worker as well. Just watch out for people who look like you trying to escape a prison as they might knock you out, swap clothes with you, and leave you to get arrested in their steed while they make a run for it.
>>
No. 1016540 ID: c92a02

We're in a prison, and not everyone's as cool as Snowball and Plaintooth. Getting armed for emergencies is smart. How much for a weapon?

Boop the snoot.
>>
No. 1016541 ID: 5378af

As a postal worker, we must uphold the code of not using weapons, we don't need to buy one
>>
No. 1016546 ID: dfbac0

Getting a weapon seems like it would probably provoke a fight rather than prevent it while we're in a prison.
Don't correct her about not being Reiner, but we might as well mention postal workers do get uniforms although they aren't as flashy as some military uniforms can be.
Ask about the books snowball reads, maybe she can recommend some for you.
Also, as a point of discussion, Plaintooth has a similar situation to you where she only knows one thing (the prison for her, postal worker for us.) and doesn't really have any dreams beyond that. Maybe ask about what this deal is about.

...Also, I really wanna hug Snowball.
>>
No. 1016549 ID: 8483cf

No weapons! Yes hugs. As to the above suggestion, it's Snowball who only knows prison, not Plaintooh.

What's Plaintooth's story?

And yes, boop Plaintooth's snoot. Say it's an initiation ritual to test worthiness to become a postal worker. If she bites your hand off, she fails the test.
>>
No. 1016551 ID: aa0a8a

If hug, ask beforehand. Not everyone likes hugs.
>>
No. 1016555 ID: 53560f

To Plaintooth, tell her you’re doing well, ask her how she’s doing. refuse her offer for now but ask about the deal the warden gave her.

As for Snowball, offer to be her penpal, or hell, if we end up doing this route regularly then we can make sure to visit anytime we stop at this isle.
>>
No. 1016558 ID: 5d9787

>Wanna buy a weapon?
We should avoid be caught breaking any rules if we hope to be release through official means. It would tragic if they confirm Pascoe identity but arrested him for committing crimes in prison.

Our postal officer uniform was only a hat. The raincoat matched that hat well, but I'm not sure unrelated complementing accessories are enough to satisfy the desire for an uniform. Regardless there is no harm in mentioning the mailman dressing style to see if Plaintooth like it.

Since Snowball don't consider herself to be the same person she used to be ask about how much she (and Plaintooth) knew or remembered. Does she remember what happened immediately after the pit? Did she knew how to speak and write or had to relearn those things? Does she know or remember something from before? Memories that might not come from her previous ave self?

Pascoe have feline legs, so he knows how wonderfully silky cat fur is. Ask her to touch it. Gently cafuné around her ears. Tell the cat how cute she is.
>>
No. 1016559 ID: 42aee0

Ask them what they think about the warden's deal, this is a way to ask about it without giving out you don't actually know what the deal is. (Besides, I am curious)

Other thing I have in mind. How many years in prison do they have left? I would like to know if you could have the posibility to meet them again once you get out of prison, but sadly I think they are going to have an unfail amount of years ahead. This might be a sad topic, so treat with care.

And boop the snoot, be not ungrateful to fate.
>>
No. 1016560 ID: 30b9f6

What kind of deal was Plaintooth offered?

And oh, she likes uniforms? Tell her about marching band uniforms. Not as cool as postal uniforms, of course, but you recognize your own bias there.

Keep chatting with the two apparent night owls, until you realize it's getting close to morning.
>>
No. 1016564 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163846910270.png - (356.95KB , 800x600 , RTS41.png )
1016564

>Don't correct her about not being Reiner
I'll keep it a secret for now.

"I'm doing good, all things considered. I'll have to pass on the weapon, For a couple of reasons. First off, I don't have anything to trade, and second I follow a code that doesn't allow me to use weapons."
"All I'd want in exchange is a favour or two, but also, when did you develop principles? didn't you take somebody's eye out recently?"
"So they say. Anyway, what's your story Plaintooth?"
"Story? A few weeks after coming into existence, I was sent here for disorderly conduct. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to get in trouble for doing nothing when you terrify people for existing. And that's my life story. Since the offense was so minor, I can really be let out if I pick an avenue do to so, but I like it in here a whole lot more than I ever liked it out there. I occasionally leave my cell and mess around, so they have no choice but to extend my sentence."
"Do you remember anything about the ave you used to be?”
"Nope. Not a thing"
"Would you wear a marching band uniform?"
"I'd have to learn how to play instruments, and that's too much work for a uniform!"
"Have you ever considered being a postal worker? They have uniforms."
"Huh. I haven't thought about that. How do the uniforms look?"
"Depends on the company you work for. If you like getting into fights, new world delivery routes might be for you. Companies don't let you use weapons though. The only well-known exception is the Iron Post, and those guys are barely legitimate.”
"What do their uniforms looks like?"
"Coats with a full set of armor underneath. They always wear iron masks, making them pretty intense looking. but if you ask me, you should go work for one of the more legitimate companies under the maritime postal alliance. If you ever do though, watch out for violent doppelgangers."
"You know what? I'd actually like to give that a try. I'd need somebody to vouch for me to the warden though, not like the word of a prisoner is worth much around here. Do they hire chimeras?"
"From what I've seen. What was the deal the warden gave you?"
"Something along the lines of 'as long as you don't do anything violent and prove you can act civil; I can let you out of here with a job in a way that doesn't result in either indentured servitude or fighting as a monster for other's entertainment in the Calsia colosseum.'"

>Boop the snoot
For some reason, I act against my better judgement. I stand up, getting ready to do something truly reprehensible.
I put up my hand and push onto the snout poking through the wall, and it quickly reels back, retreating to the other side.
"*snrk* Oh my god. Which one of you just did that... Reiner. I hope you're prepared for what you've just stared, because the next chance I get, I'm doing the same thing to you."
>>
No. 1016565 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163846914939.png - (313.06KB , 800x600 , RTS42.png )
1016565

"How many years do you two have in prison?"
>"They're keeping us here until they decide what to do with us. It could depend."
"Hey Snowball, what do you remember after being pulled from the tar pit?"
>"Nothing. I was essentially a wild animal at that point. I didn't know how to communicate or anything. I was a blank slate. From what I remember, I was pulled out by people who were friends of the ave I once was. I have a picture around here of them and what I used to look like if you're interested."
"What kinds of books do you read?"
>"Whatever they bring me from the library. History might be my favourite subject. I also enjoy reading about scientific and historic expeditions to the new world. That and also storm chasers, pirates, explorers, it's all so exciting."

>Hug Snowball
"Snowball, are you familiar with hugs?"
>"I've seen them, but I've never had one."
"You look like you could use one. Would you like to... y'know. do one?"
>"Oh my gosh I thought you would never ask."

She swings her arm around my shoulder and sits up close to me. To tell the truth I've never been a hugger myself, but I can tell that she is really into it. She holds tight onto me for a while.

"You know, if you want a pen pal, we can keep in touch once I'm out of here."
>"You mean it? Could you write about all your experiences? Send a few pictures if that isn't asking too much?"
"I'm not the best artist, but I could try."

Who knew prison was such a good place for making friends, though these inmates simply seem to be misunderstood. The general population might differ though. Once morning comes, I'll be in a cell with someone else. Hopefully then we can start to make progress to working for a way out of here. I can talk a bit more, but I will try to get some sleep shortly. I walked around a lot today so some rest would be great.
>>
No. 1016567 ID: 2aa5f0

so does snowball have a similar deal as Plaintooth? As in she can leave whenever she wants if she can find a job? Maybe ask her if she'd like to give postal work a try and travel a bit.
>>
No. 1016568 ID: 9a2966

Talk about hobbies. Iiif you got any? Or what'd be fun to pick up as one. I get the feeling these two are a bit starved for conversation.

Oh, and mention your dislike of Adventurers. Like, yeah, there's plenty of adventure out there and it's fun to read about in books, but aagh, those guys. Those guys.
>>
No. 1016569 ID: dfbac0

I feel sorry for these above-waist chimeras, sure the warden tries to treat them better but the fact that they see being in prison as better than being free shows how much they must be discriminated against...
Maybe before we go to sleep we can ask snowball to explain a book she read. I know the one thing most people who like to read books wanna do is talk about them to others, and hearing a story sounds nice.
Also yeah... reading about adventures and experiencing them are very different, the stories show the good stuff but the real deal is a lot harder.
>>
No. 1016570 ID: 5d9787

Great success!

Snowball interest in books seem to coincide with the subagentes we considered relevant for this trip. Almost any book we come across can be send as a present to her after we read it.
We should give her "8 Kings on Fire" before leaving this island. Ask her if she know this one.

Snowball may not have a set sentence to serve but don't seem to receive the same leniente offer Plaintooth had, otherwise what reason would she have to want to stay and not leave to explore the world? Whatever her previous self did must have being serious.

Sure I would like to see what you used to look like.
It must be strange having a previous self. How do you feel about the person on the picture? Is she someone you would like to be again? A regrettable past? A stranger? A relative you never knew?

As much as I would love to converse all night I should sleep while I find myself in friendly company. Do you want to keep cuddling in bed?
>>
No. 1016573 ID: ce39da

Okay, so, while social networking is great and all, I already have an idea for how to clear this up, but it hinges on:
I) Whether the prison is an item you remember being on your overall route for Memerti. (It should have been a pretty memorable address if it was present at all.)
II) Whether none of you have delivered there yet.
And III) Whether your company actually deals with outgoing mail, like, at all.

If the answers to all of them are "Yes," then the solution is simple:
> STEP 1
Figure out how prisoners go about composing and sending letters.
> STEP 2
Compose a letter addressed to "Ecoa and/or Pilot (Urgent!)" and from "Pascoe" that exposes what Reiner did.
> STEP 3A
If Pilot or (preferably) Ecoa show up, regardless if they're alone or not, just hand over the letter and explain that the recipient is on this pinnacle today only and that lives are at stake; they'll take care of the rest.
> STEP 3B
If Reiner herself insists on hitting up this place alone, abandon the letter idea; take off your shirt, tackle her, and get that uniform off. She's the real Reiner, so whatever procedures they use will end up in our favor. Do point out that you appear to have different genders if they don't know how to prove it either way at first. Even if Reiner manages to somehow weasel her way out of this airtight check, it's still 'mate in one; the prison will simply hold both of you while they try to figure things out, and your crew will come to find out what the fuck happened to Pascoe.

If just the first two clauses are true, then nix the letter; just try to catch them as they come in to deliver and talk to them directly. How you could go about doing this hinges heavily on the results of STEP 1. (Actually, this plan as a whole could totally fall apart at STEP 1, depending on how the mail is distributed.)
>>
No. 1016574 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163847998755.png - (282.55KB , 800x600 , RTS43.png )
1016574

>I feel sorry for these above-waist chimeras, sure the warden tries to treat them better but the fact that they see being in prison as better than being free shows how much they must be discriminated against...
To my understanding, most above the neck chimeras are actual dangerous mindless monsters. I'm willing to bet this block would have a different atmosphere during the day when all of them are awake.

"Would you give postal work a try?"
>"I don't know. Being locked into that kind of responsibility might keep me from the freedom I seek."
"It must be strange, having a previous self. How do you feel about her? Is she someone you would like to be again? Or were they just a stranger?"
>"Feels like a stranger, so I don't strong feel about her. I do feel a bit guilty over someone needing to essentially die for me to exist. but I hear bad stuff like that happens in the new world all the time. There is a reason why one in five people living in the new world have some form of permanent disability, at least that's what I've read. She must have known the risks at the time."
"Didn't you get the same kind of deal that Plaintooth got to leave?"
>"Not quite. From my understanding I'm in here for more... political reasons. I don't fully understand why, but I had previously had some association with high-status individuals. Nobles, or royalty, something like that. For whatever reason I can't be seen and recognized by others. I have been given options to get out of prison, but I see none of them as particularly free. Apparently, it is mostly out of the hands of the warden."
"You said you had a picture of your past self?"
>"Oh, yes, I'll look for it. It's in one of my books somewhere. It may take me a while to find, maybe I can get it by morning."
"I can probably send you books while I'm on the outside"
>"That would be wonderful. I would read anything you send me. I'm all for fiction and nonfiction. Even if reality can be as strange as make believe."

>Is the prison an item on your delivery route
Actually, I think it is. It's something we've saved for last though, because of how much there is. I don't think we actually deal with the outgoing mail, that is usually delegated to the local post offices. If any of my crew comes by, I can form a plan at that time.

Me and Snowball talk for a bit, about hobbies and books. Neither of us has the most experience at a lot of things, but we exchange some interesting stories. I tell her I'm going to sleep while I'm still in good company. She understands and goes back to staring longingly through the bars of the window.

I hit the hay. Literally. This bed is made of hay and fur. But even when things have been stressful, I have never had trouble sleeping. We will see what tomorrow holds.

Choose any character to follow.
>>
No. 1016575 ID: 53d617

Ecoa!
>>
No. 1016576 ID: 894419

>>1016575
Ecoa, but twice as hard!
>>
No. 1016577 ID: aba9fd

Ecoa best vote
>>
No. 1016578 ID: bfe926

Plaintooth!
>>
No. 1016579 ID: ce39da

Ecoa seems to be in the best position to fix this, assuming we succeed at helping her catch on that something is wrong.
>>
No. 1016581 ID: 5d9787

Pilot.
I suspect he will be able to notice Pascoe is a bit different. An internal monologue over paranoiac suspicious could be interesting.
>>
No. 1016582 ID: 9a2966

>>1016581
We haven't interacted much with Pilot yet, it's true. Adding a vote for him.

Though I'd certainly be fine with Ecoa as well, or even Rainer.
>>
No. 1016583 ID: 830dfa

Reiner.
>>
No. 1016585 ID: 53560f

>>1016578
I second plaintooth!
>>
No. 1016587 ID: 088b5b

plaintooth
>>
No. 1016593 ID: a2493c

>>1016578
seconding plaintooth, she seems like a funny goblin to play
>>
No. 1016603 ID: dfbac0

>>1016581
Pilot, there's no better way to get to know someone than to get in their head. Also, I feel Pilot would be a very fun character to follow.
>>
No. 1016606 ID: 401b30

>>1016574
Pilot
>>
No. 1016611 ID: 42aee0

Eccoa
>>
No. 1016612 ID: f8fa51

Ecoa
>>
No. 1016616 ID: 2de4fd

Plaintooth plaintooth
>>
No. 1016623 ID: 9c97c7

Pilot
>>
No. 1016637 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163855027827.png - (441.77KB , 800x600 , RTS44.png )
1016637

Seems that despite our early start, it's very clear that we are not the only Postal Company who decided to deliver to Mamerti this early into overlapping routes. Can't say I blame them, this place earns its reputation for being fairly lavish.
The tropical beauty and low number of dangerous factors makes it a prime vacation spot for the wealthy. While it still has its commoners, most people getting their mail here are the ones that can comfortably afford to live here. The population of this island is larger than most of our destinations, so that means more mail. It'll take a few days to make sure it's all delivered. Two days if we're quick, three if we take our time.

I can see couriers from a few different companies; Corrio-Public Postal Service, Seinish Imperial Post, The Dutsa Courier Service and Fetzen Eurus-Winds Mail.

If this proves to be too much work for the three of us to handle we may consider picking up a fourth, which we can pick up from any allied post office that'd be willing to part with someone for a couple weeks, or if we're desperate we can initiate a procedure to authorise someone unqualified to come along.

I can either check up with Pilot and see what our land route options are looking like, Or I can check up with Pascoe and see how he's doing. He didn't seem to be in the greatest shape when I found him yesterday, but with any luck he should be fine to deliver today.
>>
No. 1016640 ID: 5d9787

>Two days if we're quick, three if we take our time.
>... willing to part with someone for a couple weeks

So not for this island land routs but for the entire "sea" rout. This must be more to let us know we can take one adicional person to the crew before leaving the island.


A bit odd you found Pascoe passed out drunk on the mud since last island he refused to drink at the bar because of company rules. Maybe he isn't as disciplined as he first seemed.
Regardless he completed yesterday job. Let him sleep a bit before waking him up.

Let's see what Pilot have to say.
>>
No. 1016641 ID: c141b5

Say hi to Pilot! Let Pascoe sleep in after their dirt nap.
>>
No. 1016645 ID: 2aa5f0

talk to pilot and let the newbie sleep in a little bit before you go and bother them. If their ass isn't up by the time you're done talking to pilot though go wake their ass up. We're on a schedule here and we might already considered undermanned so no reason to drag our feet unnecessarily.
>>
No. 1016655 ID: 53560f

Check on Pascoe, if he’s sick or just not doing well then it’d be better to know early on so we can get a temporary replacement as soon as possible.
>>
No. 1016657 ID: c92a02

Check on Pascoe. He's a new guy, so he might have first day jitters. You should keep a close eye on him all day so he'll be reassured by the constant presence of a more experienced mailbird.
>>
No. 1016661 ID: 9a2966

>>1016637
Pascoe should be fine, the li'l lightweight. Although if he isn't, maybe you SHOULD take to one the allied companies about a fourth hire.

Go speak with Pilot about things and matters.
>>
No. 1016663 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163858431381.png - (291.90KB , 800x600 , RTS45.png )
1016663

I go below deck where I see both Pascoe and Pilot, who are both awake and moving about. Pascoe seems to be rummaging through a trunk, while Pilot is making breakfast.

>"Gotta be one around here somewhere..."
"Pilot, we should discuss the route, and check inventory."
>"Right! though, can we do it during breakfast? I've been up all night and haven't slept yet. I'm making pang cakes!"
Did he mean to say pancakes?
>"What about you Pascoe, you want pang cakes?"
>"huh? just... gimmie a minute... I've never heard of pang cakes before... smells good though..."
Pascoe seems to be just fine after how I saw him yesterday. Seems I should bring it up when the time is right. Should keep a close eye on him when we go out today, he’s still very inexperienced after all, he may need some guidance before I decide to let him go off alone again.
>>
No. 1016664 ID: 1a2ce6
File 163858433344.png - (201.67KB , 800x600 , RTS46b.png )
1016664

>"Ok, Ecoa, super-duper important question; What's your favourite pang cake topping?"
"Is it important?"
>"There probably isn't much time until I fall asleep, so we can talk at the table! So, what do you want? you name it, we probably got it."
Pilot's sleeping patterns are very bizarre given his condition which causes himself to never get the feeling of being tired. Obviously, this means he stays up to the point of collapsing. It can be inconvenient but isn’t unmanageable.
I suppose it might be better to have a group conversation at the table. What is my favourite topping?
>>
No. 1016665 ID: 52ea6a

Marionberry!
>>
No. 1016666 ID: e7c7d3

Another pang cake
>>
No. 1016667 ID: c92a02

Strawberries. They make a good snack, rain or shine.
>>
No. 1016668 ID: 5d9787

What are you looking for Pascoe?

>>1016665
... jelly.

Are we low on something?
You seem to be having a lot of navigation concerns that didn't come up while we were at Torrus' Ridge. Did something unexpected happened?
>>
No. 1016671 ID: ec8c81

Pascoe appears distracted. Lets see if he is paying attention.
"Pascoe cream, fresh from the tap."
>>
No. 1016672 ID: dfbac0

Jam
Berry Jam
>>
No. 1016675 ID: 96c896

Strawberries.
>>
No. 1016676 ID: ce39da

"No preference - I'm more concerned with whether 'pang' cakes are the same thing as pancakes."

Wait for Pilot to snap Pascoe out of his search with the pang cake question, then hit him with a "Do you need help looking for something?"
>>
No. 1016692 ID: 9c97c7

starfruit
>>
No. 1016704 ID: 9a2966

Sugar and cinnamon.
>>
No. 1016717 ID: 184a43

Apple Butter
>>
No. 1016721 ID: 73380d

>>1016676
seconding this, it's most likely what Ecoa would say. interesting to see a quest aruther instead of worrying what to do, hands over the decision making over to the audience.
>>
No. 1016723 ID: 42aee0

Alone but with a cup of coffe (Secretly desire cream and strawberry jam)
>>
No. 1016748 ID: 7e04cb
File 163869585530.png - (169.68KB , 800x600 , RTS47.png )
1016748

>Are we low on something? You seem to be having a lot of navigation concerns that didn't come up while we were at Torrus' Ridge. Did something unexpected happen?
I simply want to see what the optimal route is for this island. The best way to go about these things is to divide our workload into manageable pieces and go from there. The key to a successful run is to plan things out ahead of time.

"No preference - I'm more concerned with whether 'pang' cakes are the same thing as pancakes"
>"Pancakes? that sounds silly. And how can you have no preference? I have every topping you could possibly want!"
"Slow down, you couldn't possibly have every topping I could possibly want."
>"Try me!"
I was being truthful when I said I had no preference, but now I'm curious on whether he can pull off a full set of instructions.
"Alright, if you really want to make me the perfect breakfast, I must warn you, my tastes are very particular."
>"Works for me!"
His hubris shall be his downfall.
"Blowout patches, stack 'em up with heavy axle grease and nervous pudding, sprinkle it with a light sand and cinnamon. strawberries, starfruit and marionberries in the weeds, and a pair of drawers high and dry, one to go."
>"Is that all?"
Is that all. I don't even understand half of what I said, and he apparently got all of that. We'll see. He goes off towards the kitchen to fulfill this ridiculous errand.
>>
No. 1016749 ID: 7e04cb
File 163869589204.png - (234.29KB , 800x600 , RTS48.png )
1016749

>Pascoe appears distracted
hopefully something that doesn't become too common. I do wonder what he could be looking for, so I approach him to ask.

"What are you looking for Pascoe?"
>"A weapon."
"Is there a good reason you're looking for a weapon?"
>"You know... In case there’s... Wild beasts or thieves which I may need to... defend myself against."
"We're not allowed to use weapons, I thought that was clear." This appears to get his attention and he pulls himself out of the box.
>"What?! Are you insane? You do know where you're... we're going, right?! Do you know anything about the new world?!"
"Of course. What's gotten into you? Have you been listening to tall tales from sailors and dock workers?"
>"Yeah, something like that! What happens if we cross a pirate ship, huh? A ship like this is easy pickings, one pin cushion or chain shot is all it'd take to bring up down, then what happens if that pirate crew has pole cats or hoop throwers? They could torch this ship just for fun. Do you want to be sent floating down into the abyss of the trench? I sure don't!"
"Slow down, we don't need to worry about pirates for a while, besides the fact that they are hardly present in the safe quarter of the pinnacle region."
>"Just because it's called the safe quarter doesn't make it safe. Just because whatever's beyond is worse doesn't make this quarter any less dangerous!"
"Calm down, it'll be fine. What happened to that rifle you brought with you?"
>"I can't find a rifle. There's a crossbow without any bolts, a breastplate, some fireworks, but no rifle."
"Must've misplaced it. I'm sure it will turn up eventually. Come, we'll have breakfast and then we'll discuss the plan for today."
Something does seem a little off about Pascoe. Not his forgetfulness, that's still there. It's something about his appearance. Did he change something?
>>
No. 1016750 ID: 7e04cb
File 163869591966.png - (299.34KB , 800x600 , RTS49.png )
1016750

Sitting at the table, Pilot comes over after a while with... probably the most incredible looking plate of pancakes currently existing at any place, anywhere in the world at this current moment.

It's... all there...

>"You'll get yours in a minute, hang in there Pascoe! The coffee will be right over, Ecoa. Are the pang cakes to your liking?"
"...It'll work for me."

Where did he even keep all of these ingredients? Am I even going to be able to eat all of this? It is times like these where I wish I could allow myself to feel emotion without combusting. Oh well. I can still eat it even if I can't enjoy it. I see Pascoe eyeballing it.

>"Right! So, let's discuss routing. We got the place divided into three blocks, we have the high-class district with some of the more expensive and weighty items on our list. These guys tend to tip when they sign off on stuff, so keep that in mind! Then we have the markets and commoner housing block where stuff goes to sellers, private collectors, and middle-class commoners. I suggest going there if you like seeing some of the weirder folk, or like buying weird stuff. Then farther away from all that, there's the prison where you need to bring a bunch of letters. I suggest doing that last, they built the place uphill, and the road is long. So, what would you like to know about? Which one do you like to cover today?"
>>
No. 1016751 ID: c92a02

Let's do the closest one first, as a tiebreaker, markets and commoners.
>>
No. 1016752 ID: 96c896

>>1016749
>appearance
His eyes changed color?
Ask if he wants some.
>>
No. 1016756 ID: 5d9787

Will Ecoa accompany Rainer today? Or are we perhaps planing the division of responsibilities?

Rainer drunken plan involved coordinate with Askot and Pascoe. If she have already wrote those letters the prison should be one of the first deliveries.
She also know how the prison receive the mail. If she is sure there is no chance for the postal officer to get in contact with the prisoners she would prefer to have Ecoa make this delivery. If there is a chance to talk with them she will want Ecoa far away from Pascoe and should like to exchange a few words as she give them their letters.

As for temptations the high-class district with some of the more expensive items and guys who tend to tip should have picked her interest. If she will do a decent job or misplace a few packages will show how much dedication she have to the plan of leaving the island in this ship.
If one more location is possible she will want the best place to buy supplies. That will depend on what she is looking to buy.

Ecoa won't care as long as the deliveries are made in an eficiente way. The prison priority shouldn't really matter, but she will be able to notice any greedy interest in the high-class district.

>Something does seem a little off about Pascoe. Not his forgetfulness, that's still there. It's something about his appearance. Did he change something?
The odd behavior is completely unnoticed...
His eyes look like a slightly different color. That can't be right. How and why would he change their color? You must be misremembering.
>>
No. 1016757 ID: 2aa5f0

>Something does seem a little off about Pascoe. Not his forgetfulness, that's still there. It's something about his appearance. Did he change something?
Is it just me or does their voice sound a little off? They might be coming down with something. I mean you did find them passed out in the rain, wouldn't be too far fetched that they might be developing a cold or something.

As for the mail route, are you going with Pascoe today or are you giving him one route while you take the other? Either way might be best to send him towards the markets. Seems easy enough (especially if you're going to have to baby sit him) and will help him get use to some of the stranger things he can expect to see while on the job and in a safe(ish) environment as well.
>>
No. 1016760 ID: 9a2966

>>1016750
This is both fantastic and terrifying. Eat with all the grace and dignity of someone who literally cannot allow themselves to be a sore loser. Although you can share with Pascoe and ask them what they think of your 'favorite' pangcakes.

Check in on Pilot after breakfast and tuck him in a hammock or something if he's out. Might as well leave him in a comfortable state. For once.

>What to do first
Give Pascoe the choice:

1 - Deliver to the the wealthy first and maybe get tips so they have extra to trade with when they deliver to the merchants or commoners.

OR

2 - Take the comparatively easier commoner deliveries first. How easy depends on what weirdos they meet and have to deliver to, so no guarantees they won't get challenged to a duel or shot at or whatnot. Again.

You'll do the prison delivery last simply because it's the most inconvenient.

>Something weird about Pascoe
Since you found them KO'd yesterday: did anything happen, now that they're up and about?

Like, something is a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what... it's not like they've turned into an even weirder chimera or something, just that they're not being their usual can-do, optimistic self.
>>
No. 1016764 ID: ce39da

> The Plan
"It's obvious that we should visit the heavy tippers before we hit the shopping district. The only question is whether we put the prison at the start, middle, or end of all that. Got any opinions on that, Pascoe?"

(I imagine Rainer will want to put it in the middle; she hasn't had time to compose the letter she needs to start helping Pascoe - assuming sober!Rainer doesn't change her mind - but she'll also need time afterward before they leave to help put whatever plan she has into action.)

> 'Pang' Cakes, What Do
Okay, so apparently, Pilot's just pulling a "bone apple teeth" on himself with that term. No need to worry... I think. Also, pray that he wasn't taking your more absurd nonsense literally. Mentally prepare for both the best and worst; it'd be dumb to lose a couple of days of lifespan over pancakes. Offer half to Pascoe if it's any good.
>>
No. 1016767 ID: 42aee0

I see Pascoe a bit green, make a brief test to see he at least remember the basics.

If you trust Pascoe, recomed to go first to the rich district so he has the money from the tips when he goes to the middle class district.

If you don't see him prepared make him go first to the middle class district first to train a bit so he has more practice with the rich district (I assume they will have higer standards).
>>
No. 1016769 ID: 184a43

Going to the rich area first is a must, the less time we lug around expensive things people might want to steal or intercept the better. Plus I would imagine we could get a more substantial tip the sooner we get it to the recipient. Then we go to the markets and save the prison for last.
>>
No. 1016811 ID: 7e04cb
File 163883166028.png - (228.84KB , 800x600 , RTS50.png )
1016811

I take a pancake from the stack and offer it to Pascoe.
"Here."
He holds it with both hands, not bothering to use his cutlery.

>Did Pascoe's eyes change color?
No? They look the same to me.
>His voice?
Not sure. He never had a deep voice to begin with.
It's something else. About his uniform.

It seems to be a good idea to get the high priority clients in the wealthier district out of the way.
"Alright Pilot, we'll get the rich guys their mail first."
>"Sounds like a plan! keep in mind, they do tend to like the heavier stuff to get delivered, and try not to drop anything! hold on, Pascoe, are you ok?"
>"y-yeah. This is... the tastiest thing I've ever had. So, this is what pang cakes are like..."
I’m getting full but I won’t let myself be defeated by pang cakes. Wait, what did my brain just say?

>Will you be going with Pascoe today
I'm not sure now that I think about it. It looks like he could use some time to come to his senses. We do need at least one person on the ship at all times, and that almost always means Pilot. However, any one of us can stay while the other two go. That could mean either Pilot and Pascoe, Pascoe and I or Pilot and I. Pilot likely won't be awake enough to deliver and Pascoe may be temporarily out of commission.

Fortunately, there is another option.

While in Bacain territory we are allowed to temporarily employ the use of a helper from a post office of our type, so long as we are staying on the island. If I can't go with Pascoe, I can go to the local post office and pick a worker to come with me. I can only pick one at a time, however.
>>
No. 1016812 ID: 96c896

Huh, there's a round bit on his hat that wasn't there before. What is that, a button?

Pilot is about to pass the fuck out, I don't think bringing him is a good idea, but also leaving him on the ship alone isn't a good idea because then it'll effectively be unattended. You're gonna have to get a helper I think.
>>
No. 1016813 ID: 9a2966

Myeah, Pascoe seems a little out of it and if Pilot's gonna be out sleeping, it'd probably be better if he stays here to keep an eye of things.

Give him the rest of your pang cakes if he enjoys them so much, then go fetch some added help.
>>
No. 1016814 ID: c92a02

That's a great idea. Let's leave Pascoe to finish these pancakes and find a local helper to help carry pineapples or whatever it is rich people have shipped.
>>
No. 1016816 ID: ce39da

... His cap is missing those tuft things. Why would he wait until his previous route to remove them if he wanted them gone? Also... was his raincoat always this short on him?

You'll definitely need to keep an eye on him.

Given the possible choices of perspective at the beginning... I get the feeling Pilot knows EXACTLY what happened to make Pascoe's rifle unaccounted for OOC.
>>
No. 1016820 ID: 5d9787

Caring heavier packages was the advantage of having a chimera coworker. Are we really leaving Pascoe out of what is likely the most physically demanding land rout?
Accompanying Pascoe would be preferable, but if one of you two have to stay until Pilot wake up that can't be helped. At least remind Pascoe he will be missing today's tips.

Complement Pilot's cooking skills.
>>
No. 1016824 ID: 2aa5f0

If Pascoe is having an off day and pilot is about to pass out it would probably be smart to leave both of them on the ship while you grab a local for some help. That way Pilot can get some sleep while Pascoe can actually keep an eye on the ship and get their thoughts together.
>>
No. 1016843 ID: 184a43

I think we should take Pascoe with us, he might snap out of his funk once he gets a nice tip. If we get some local help to help us deliver, even if it is at no cost, we'll probably have to fork over a portion of our tips to them or risk upsetting the local post officers. Pilot probably has things on lock in regards to guarding the ship so its up to him if he wants to get someone else to help him.
>>
No. 1016898 ID: 73380d

>get mule-set up...
>apply to pasco.
>>
No. 1017136 ID: 15a025

Pascoe is obviously having an off day because he's feeling so starving after his outing the last night. Give that poor hungry boy your extra pangcakes Eccoa.
>>
No. 1017286 ID: 7e04cb
File 163944072324.png - (196.96KB , 800x600 , RTS51.png )
1017286

>There's a round bit on his hat that wasn't there before. What is that, a button?
That is a pin given to him by the postmaster on the ridge, something we're all supposed to wear.

>His cap is missing those tuft things
"That's right. Pascoe, I've noticed that you tucked the wool back into your hat."
>"What? Ohhh, right, well, I figured I'd finally get around to doing that. Trying to look professional, you know how it is. These taste great, can I have another?"
>"Knock yourself out."
>>
No. 1017287 ID: 7e04cb
File 163944075159.png - (176.81KB , 800x600 , RTS52.png )
1017287

"Alright, I figure that neither of you are in any real condition to work today, so I'm going to the local post office to get a helper to bring back here, and we'll sort things out for today."
"Sounds like a plan, Ecoa!"
>"I get the day off? Well, I wasn't feeling very well, so, what a coincidence!"

"I must give my compliments to the chef. I appreciate the effort."
"No need to thank me, just doing my job!"

>Carrying heavier packages was the advantage of having a chimera co-worker. Are we really leaving Pascoe out of what is likely the most physically demanding land rout?
That's true. I might just deliver primarily envelopes for today.

"Oh hold on, there was something I forgot to mention!"
"Yes?"
"When we were back on the ridge and you two left the post office to pick up supplies, someone from the post office came up to me and--"
>>
No. 1017288 ID: 7e04cb
File 163944077720.png - (173.50KB , 800x600 , RTS53.png )
1017288

THUMP

...

Sometimes I think he does that on purpose.
>"Oh. Is he going to be alright?"
"He'll be fine. Help me get him into bed. He should wake back up again in a couple hours or so."
>"Darn, I was going to get him to teach me how to make more of those pang cakes! Can't we just wake him up?"
"Good luck, he sleeps like an anchor. Watch the place while I'm gone, ok?"
>"Don't you worry! I'll watch this place like uh... a thing that watches places intensely I guess."
"Alright. you can have the rest of my pang... breakfast. See you soon."
>"Sweet!"

I say my goodbyes and head outside on my way to the Mamerti Post Office.
>>
No. 1017289 ID: 7e04cb
File 163944080815.png - (291.75KB , 800x600 , RTS54.png )
1017289

>"ECOA."
Oh. It's her.
>"FIGHT ME, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW."
>"H-hey! What's gotten into you? She hasn't done anything."
>"Stay out of this, Ocen, she RUINED MY LIFE, so this is between ME and HER."

She hasn't changed a bit since the first time we fought. I know her well enough to know that she operates on the dueller’s code, so she can't fight me if I say no, not that I would lose if I accepted. As far as kindlers go, she is the most reckless I've ever met, making fights end pretty quick. I can accept or walk away; I have no qualms with either option. I could also try talking to her, but I doubt I can get through to her.
>>
No. 1017291 ID: 96c896

>>1017289
Tell her no, and also to stop showing off like that, she's going to die young.
>>
No. 1017295 ID: 73380d

>"pang cakes"
starthing to get triggered...
>>
No. 1017296 ID: ce39da

"Put that out; I'm not fighting you. Nothing's ruined if you can stand there in your semi-respectable uniform and yell at me, but your life will be over by the end of the decade if you keep throwing your inner flame around like that."

Don't bother trying to get through to her if that doesn't work. Just walk away.
>>
No. 1017297 ID: 2aa5f0

tell her to cut off her fire. It's literally killing her and it shows her hand (talon?) to her opponent what she can do eliminating most elements of surprise she might have had by reveling to them her powers. Also probably going to half to pass on the fight seeing how half your crew is sick or out right now and you still have a job to do.
>>
No. 1017299 ID: 5d9787

That's the guy Pascoe got infatuated with. Ocen!
Ask if he can help you make today's delivers.

>>1017291
This.
Also you could deny the accusation or apologize for what you did.
>>
No. 1017300 ID: 50af53

If you do fight. No embers for either of you. Literally burning your life away for a tussle is stupid.
>>
No. 1017301 ID: 5d9787

>"Don't you worry! I'll watch this place like uh... a thing that watches places intensely I guess."
Like a meerkat?
>>
No. 1017303 ID: 9a2966

>Talk
Have you tried putting an artificial bar in their way? They seem like the type to take on challenges.

"I will continue to beat you until you actually spend time mastering yourself. So no. I won't duel when there is no point. Show me you can at least master your emotions by being calm and staying calm and I'll consider it."

(How'd you end up "ruining her life", anyway?)
>>
No. 1017305 ID: 96c896

How did you ruin her life, anyway?
>>
No. 1017306 ID: c0641b

>>1017289

She'll figure it out. Unfortunately, that'll probably be the day she keels over from using up the last of her flames in pointless spectacles.

Let's just walk away.
>>
No. 1017339 ID: c92a02

Not while you're carrying the mail. Mail is flammable. You'd be the one in trouble. Leave.
>>
No. 1017348 ID: 53560f

“No.” walk away.
>>
No. 1017356 ID: 8483cf

Just say no to being set on fire.
>>
No. 1017366 ID: 7e04cb
File 163947219596.png - (212.81KB , 800x600 , RTS55.png )
1017366

>How did you ruin her life, anyway?
She is being dramatic. Unless her 'life' was her career as a duellist. what happened was that she was going around the new world looking to pick fights with the strong. I was delivering to a fighting arena of sorts when she was picking fights with everyone she could find. She would win all of the fights of course as most people don't practice kindling and don't understand how to properly combat it in an unarmed fight. Trouble is, she made the promise that she would follow the lifestyle of whoever could beat her. She challenged me and I laid her out flat.
That is where the story would end if I didn't get encountered by her every time our routes overlap. Working for a mail company obviously doesn't help her get better at fighting, but it's not like I'm the one forcing her to keep doing it. While she has principles, they seem to exist to sabotage her more often than not.

"Put that out. I don't want you setting letters or clothes on fire. Besides, you're only killing yourself faster."
>"Hey, SCREW YOU."
"I'm not interested in a fight. I have a job to do, and so do you."
>"Look at you. Trying to tell me what to God damn do. Fight me so I can rip that STUPID STOIC LOOK right off your STUPID STOIC FACE."
"Nothing's ruined if you can stand there in your semi-respectable uniform and yell at me, but your life will be over by the end of the decade if you keep throwing your inner flame around like that"
>"Shut the HELL UP. I would rather be the strongest ave in the world for ten minutes than be a WEAKLING FOR A NATURAL LIFETIME."
"I will continue to beat you until you actually spend time mastering yourself. So no. I won't duel you when there's no point. Show me you can at least master your emotions by being calm and staying calm and I'll consider it."
>"You done trying to lecture me? Good. NOW FIGHT ME."
"No."

With that, I begin to walk away. She has rules to follow, she cannot enable a duel if I do not agree.

>"I have ways of making you agree, dumbass."
"Are you trying to threaten me?"
>"No. But you have rules to follow too, don't you?"

The other postal worker is looking a little uneasy, I feel bad for the guy. I'm thinking I should move to a more crowded area and hope that deters her.
>>
No. 1017368 ID: b5c538

You need a plus one don't you? Ask them maybe. You're all on duty so maybe she should act like it. What is this code you work by?
>>
No. 1017384 ID: 5d9787

>Trouble is, she made the promise that she would follow the lifestyle of whoever could beat her.
Was that meant to be a self imposed punishment or did she though it would be training? She could have seek out your past career.

How about proposing conditions for accepting her challenge? She help you and you will fight her in an appropriate location. Somewhere near water that is not surrounded by too many flammable objects.
>>
No. 1017385 ID: 8f6305

This is never going to let up if you don’t start to sort her shit out. Worse yet, she’ll bring the profession down. Maybe she is why duelists are going around packing fights with postmen.

«I have ways of making you agree, too.»

Look to the other postman.

«Can you handle her route, Ocen? I’m doing deliveries alone today and I need a helper. If she can be freed I’ll take her off your hands.»

This makes you her immediate superior, doesn’t it? Which means you can shut down her attempts at dueling for the duration, and maybe get a point or two about who’s really ruining whose life. It’ll complicate your day, but this is clearly something that’ll just continue unless resolved in some manner. Getting them to work together with you for the day gives you the opportunity to figure out what - besides reckless abandon and glory-seeking - makes them tick.
>>
No. 1017386 ID: 662525

Fine, if she wants to fight you so bad take her as your partner for the day and have her help you finish your route, then when the two of you are done and don’t have to worry about burning your mail then you can have your duel.
>>
No. 1017387 ID: b691d9

Can't you propose something like this? "Your lack of concern for the courier work is a disgrace to our profession. Duel me and if I win you will leave this work that makes you so unhappy"

What ties her is her own word, so this way you can free her of it.

It's obvious that she needs to settle down and learn to calm her mind, so maybe the courier work could help her. But it's also true that it's not your war and she is responsible of her decisions.

So should Eccoa help to free her of her own word and let her burn herself to death in pointless battles? Or should she try to help a fellow kindler?
>>
No. 1017396 ID: c0641b

>>1017366

Hopefully these means don't include coercion, bodily harm, endangerment of bystanders, tampering with, interdiction of, or damage to the post, or any of a myriad other things which would look EXCEEDINGLY BAD for the Postal Alliance, and worse, undermine our credibility and freedom of movement within the New World.
>>
No. 1017434 ID: c92a02

>>1017368
This. Offer her to possibly have a duel after she helps you deliver your mail.
>>
No. 1017537 ID: 7e04cb
File 163963698570.png - (241.24KB , 800x600 , RTS56.png )
1017537

>You need a plus one, don't you?
I suppose so. It doesn't really matter who it is, so long as they can do the work. I guess that means either of them.
>Is hey following your lifestyle a self-imposed punishment or training? She could seek out your past career.
I assume it was intended as training. She probably doesn't know about my past career, otherwise it would have made more sense for her to go do that instead.

"Hey you, Ocen, was it? My crew is short-handed at the moment, and I could use a temporary helper. How about it?"
"O-oh, you want help? From me? Is that even allowed? I guess our companies are allies..."
>"HEY! Talons off my crewmate! He's mine to boss around, not yours!"
"I'm simply offering. I will treat him well if he accepts."
>"Are you implying I don't treat him well? SCREW YOU, he's mine."
"I've never had girls fight over me before, I'm flattered!"
>"Shhhhhhut up."

>Offer her to possibly have a duel after she helps you deliver your mail.
"How about this; you help me do my work quota for today, and we can work out a dual arrangement."
>"You really wanna make me work for it, huh? I got my own stupid letters and packages to deliver. What about your crew, they ditch you?"
"Neither are in good condition."
>"Even... Pilot? How's he doing by the way? Is he ok? "
"He's asleep."
>"Ah, ok. So, uh, sure. I have a crew of four, so one of us going to help you for the day wouldn't be a big deal. Even I'll do it. But either if you choose one of us or decide to get someone from the local post office, I want a duel before we leave this island, you understand?"
>>
No. 1017538 ID: 7e04cb
File 163963701175.png - (243.95KB , 800x600 , RTS57.png )
1017538

>"In case you were wondering how I was gonna make you fight me, here's how."
She produces an object from under her coat. It is a red string threaded through a...

A duellist's coin.

One of only 49 in existence. This would certainly take away my option of declining the duel. How did she even get that?

>"I can invoke a duel with you at any time I want. Just so you understand, as much as you try to squirm your way out of it, I WILL get what I want. We'll do it at a time more convenient for you if you're so damn worried about getting these papers delivered."
"You know Riker, your level of unprofessionalism really makes the rest of us postal workers look bad."
>"Like I give a damn. And how could we look any worse? You and I aren't exceptions, haven't you noticed how many crazy strong fighters work for the postal alliance? If this job has a single saving grace, it's that."
Now that she points it out, I have seen many eccentric people working as new world postal workers. That could just be a coincidence, or any number of other factors.

Do I choose one of them to assist me, or should I continue to go to the local post office as planned and pick someone there.
>>
No. 1017539 ID: c92a02

Definitely bring her. Then you can make her so sick of hanging around you she won't even want a duel after it's done. Plus you can ask her about the coin!
>>
No. 1017540 ID: 8483cf

Take her with, proceed to wow her with how utterly milquetoast you are in person
>>
No. 1017542 ID: 662525

Ask if either of those two would be willing to help you with today’s delivery route and if they do so you’ll agree to duel her once you no longer have to worry about the mail being damaged. As for who wants to come with you it can be your personal stalker if she wants to be able to duel you as soon as you’re done or her partner if she does want to be around you all day.

Also what’s the story with the 49 duelist coins?
>>
No. 1017544 ID: 96c896

>>1017538
Take her, ask her why she's not worried about dying young. Controlling her flame won't make her weaker. You're living proof of that.
>>
No. 1017546 ID: 9a2966

Aw, she likes Pilot.

Invite Riker along, as much as Ocen might be more pleasant company (but hey, you don't care). Reflect on the fact that if you'd explained how you got strong enough to beat her in the first place, you might not have been dealing with her right now... maybe if you do so now, she'll be more interested in moving to a different profession despite her code thing?

Honestly, if mild recriminations and beating her ass down every time you meet is not enough of a deterrent, clearly a different tactic must be attempted. Like... actually getting to know her?

Or maybe training her so she can get good enough to beat you - once - so you can be left alone. But you're not willing to spend life force doing so. Maybe get someone else to train her, then.

Clearly the answer isn't to just let her beat you. That'd be, uh... too easy? Wait, why haven't you just let her beat you once?

(And yeah what is the story with those coins and why do you hafta heed them?)
>>
No. 1017554 ID: 5d9787

Considering the therms it would make more sense taking Riker, but I would prefer to hang out with Ocen.

Have Pascoe told you about Ocen? I expect he would, the suggestions at the time try to hammer into his head the paranoia that if something happen to Ocen it could happen with Pascoe as well.

So... Riker and Pilot? Did he serve her pang cakes to her bed in the morning?
>>
No. 1017558 ID: ce39da

You'd think that a ranked headband coin would prevent its holder from being able to refuse duel requests from outside challengers, not the other way around. Do you possess a higher-ranking coin or something? Or is this more of a consumable magical effect situation?

But yeah, take Riker along, if only to talk a little more about what it means to be a kindler. Maybe be a little candid at some point about why you became one.

Of course, you should take her back to base first, see if Pascoe's feeling less out of whack than he was before - ideally, Riker's just here to cover for Pilot on guard duty, and it sounds like she actually cares about the guy. (Is there a story behind that, perhaps related to his strange sleep patterns?) If Pascoe still feels off, though, then you'll just have to rent a mammal, as annoying as that sounds.
>>
No. 1017779 ID: 15a025

Take Ocen, Riker's got their own job to get done is sounds like. You could even rub it in a little and call it mail courier duel. If she thinks so highly of herself, clearly she could finish her mail delivery today before you, without any help.
>>
No. 1024027 ID: 0d2343
File 164531334055.png - (274.77KB , 800x600 , RTS58.png )
1024027

"Come with me Riker. I could use a hand."
>"Whatever. Just don't walk so close to me. I don't want people thinking we're friends. Ocen, you go back to the others and deliver stuff without me"
"You got it! See you soon, Riker."

Riker and I head back to my ship to pick up some deliveries. Pilot as still sleeping. I couldn't find Pascoe. Once we have some letters, we head back towards the colony.

>what’s the story with the 49 duellist coins?
I'm unsure on the specifics, but the dueller’s society holds them in high regard. The rules are fairly simple, anyone can challenge any coin holder to a duel for their coin, or a coin holder can challenge someone who has taken the duellers association pledge. In either scenario, the challenged cannot turn down a duel. If they attempt to do so, the consequences are severe.

There were originally 52 coins, but a few were lost or destroyed. The remaining hold quite a bit of value as each gives the holder island ownership rights to a private island designated to a coin. Each coin pretty much has the same base value, but some are more sought after than others, mainly for who holds them.

>why haven't you just let her beat you once?
She would be able to tell if I were to let her win. That would make someone as honourable as her fairly unhappy.

>Riker and Pilot
I'm not sure what their association with one another is. I know they've met and talked, but I know no more than that. Admittedly she does act strange around him.

>ask her why she's not worried about dying young
"Is there a reason you hold your life in such low regard, using kindling so recklessly?"
>"Rich coming from you. Like I said, I would rather be strong for a short amount of time than be weak forever."
"Controlling your flames won't make you weaker. I'm proof of that."
>"And be lame-ass like you? I'll take my chances."
"Just don't go full phoenix."
>"Tch. That isn't a decision for you to make."
>>
No. 1024028 ID: 0d2343
File 164531337520.png - (266.20KB , 800x600 , RTS59.png )
1024028

We walk into town and approach an underpass. I see someone peak over the cobblestone wall lining the pathway.

"Well, well, well! Ecoa, it's been a while."

I was hoping I wouldn't bump into him until later down the line. Bett Trilock. Employed by the Dutsa Courier Service. Employed for 4 years. Has done 58 new world delivery runs. I can see he has a different pair of eyes from last time.

"Not long enough."
"Sayyyy. You know what I would really like from you?"
"Allow me to guess. A duel?"
"Oh! Oh yes! That'd be wonderful! When can we start?"
>"Hey, back off! I asked first, so she's mine!"
"I think Ecoa here deserves a worthy fight. Her reputation proceeds her after all." He knows of my previous chapter in life. I wish that part of me was less known.
>"WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? You think I can't put up a fight? YOU WANNA GO?"
"Depends. Do I get to fight Ecoa afterwards?" She is about to explode. Riker better be quiet about her coin. Bett will 100% challenge her for it. I don't think he'd lose, as from what I know about him, he is experienced in one-on-one combat, even without the use of those eyes, whatever they do.
>>
No. 1024029 ID: 96c896

Strange... if you have to suppress your emotions to turn off the flames, why aren't hers on all the time?

Tell him you'll only duel him in exchange for compensation. You don't use your flames casually, considering the cost.
>>
No. 1024033 ID: 8483cf

>>1024029
That's a good question. Why isn't she on fire?

Try and get them to fight each other. See if you can figure out what the eyes do.
>>
No. 1024042 ID: 93ba79

>Try and get them to fight each other. See if you can figure out what the eyes do.
That's a good idea, but for AFTER the job is done. After all, we took her along because we need her, in perfect working condition. Business before duels.
>>
No. 1024061 ID: ce39da

> The EYES...
Holy shit! And he can just casually walk around with those? Does he usually have Eyes of Evil of some sort on him at any given time, or are these his first?

> Duels as far as the eye can see!
"Riker and I are on the clock right now, but we can have a sort of fight-club get-together later. I'm actually quite pleased to get my more bothersome rivals out of the way at the same time and so early in the route to boot."
>>
No. 1024067 ID: 5d9787

He seems to be very experienced. You didn't specify if he is better than you in combat. The universe seem to have decided no one is, but worth asking just in case.

Riker, I would say it's not in your best interest to confront someone like Trilock, but I would be personally delighted if you menage to challenge him. That would mean you would have another postal officer you can't win beside just me.

Trilock, I'm not interested in any duel. If you want to accept Riker's challenge have fun, but at least point me to another free postal officer to replace my current replacement.
>>
No. 1024079 ID: 15a025

Gee, I'd really love to get into more fights, but we're on the clock right now. If you two wanna fight after deliveries, go for it. Till then, this mail cart is running on a tight schedule.
>>
No. 1024085 ID: 2aa5f0

so how often do you get challenged to duels and what's your story with this one? Seems a bit more jovial then Riker but you seem to like him just as much, as in you'd rather not be around him.

As for what to do, tell him you are currently on the job and would like to finish that before having to think about any dueling as you do take your job seriously and rather not risk burning the mail to a crisp. If he really wants a duel from you ask him to find you again later and maybe ask if he doesn't have his own packages to deliver? If he ask why riker got you to agree to a duel just tell him she agreed to help you with your work in exchange for a duel and before he ask no you only need one person for this run but you are flattered so many people seem to want to help you with your job. Makes you almost forget that people can't seem to see you as something other than just some object to fight over for one reason or another.
>>
No. 1024109 ID: c0641b

>>1024027

Her beak keeps moving but all I hear is "HONK! HONK! HONK!"

>>1024028

Just how common are these magical eye-things that we've quite possibly encountered TWO pairs of them already, in our (admittedly brief and) latest sojourn through the New World?

Is there a significant risk, considering his known abilities? Not that we should accept, mind, since we have duties to attend to.
>>
No. 1024122 ID: cf65ad

Tell Bett to temporarily give you his Eyes while he duels Riker, and then you will duel him.

Soon as Riker loses to a SECOND person, she will be less dead-set on chasing you forever.
>>
No. 1024993 ID: 0d2343
File 164604923668.png - (244.82KB , 800x600 , RTS60.png )
1024993

>if you have to suppress your emotions to turn off the flames, why aren't hers on all the time?
I control my emotions better for a cleaner burning flame. She has little control of her emotions, so she is running at a lower efficiency, and burning more of her life away for a much less effective fire. Not all Kindlers are stoics, but those who are do have a much bigger advantage.

>He can just casually walk around with those eyes?
It isn't illegal or entirely unwise to possess eyes of evil. They are highly sought after, but those who possess them in public are usually good at holding onto them.

>Just how common are these magical eye-things that we've quite possibly encountered TWO pairs of them already
Not as common as kindlers. But common enough that I sometimes see them on those I commonly bump into.

>so how often do you get challenged to duels and what's your story with this one?
I get challenged to duels almost all the time. It's frustrating but I try to make them quick if I cannot avoid them completely. Me and Bett don’t have much history, we’ve met up and fought a few times before.

>Try and get them to fight each other. See if you can figure out what the eyes do.
"Why don’t you two fight each other. Whoever wins will fight me. Or whatever." If I really want to see what the eyes do, I can watch the fight between the two. But I’m probably going to leave the first chance I get.
>"Whatever. Let's get it over with."
"Ooh! Interesting!"

"B-Bett, you shouldn't be fighting right now... w-we really should be getting this mail out...
"hm? Did you want to go first? Because you should know, I can see myself laying you out in 4 seconds flat."
"N-no! I-I'll just..."
"You'll stay out of it. I'll spend my time how I please. Now run along, the adults are talking."
"O-ok..."

>You didn't specify if he is better than you in combat
I doubt it. It has been a long, long time before I have met somebody who I felt posed a threat to me.
>>
No. 1024994 ID: 0d2343
File 164604926651.png - (288.57KB , 800x600 , RTS61.png )
1024994

Bett jumps over the wall and slides down to meet face to face with Riker. He walks up to her with a grin, eyes looking right at her.

>"The hell's that look for? You look pretty pleased for someone who's about to get his clock cleaned."
"How can you be sure? You can't see the future."
>"Nah, but I got a pretty damn good picture in my head of what your face would look like with grill marks."
"Then you throw the first punch. And don't keep me waiting, I look forward to the main course."

While those two are distracted, I try my best to slip away. I'll go to the post office to get some help. Riker can find me again before we leave the island for that duel or whatever.
>>
No. 1024995 ID: 0d2343
File 164604929488.png - (386.34KB , 800x600 , RTS62.png )
1024995

I move a short distance away, still in eye shot but nearing the corner so I can withdraw from this whole encounter.

I'm tired of fighting. I don't want that part of my life to continue if I can help it. I don't mind coming down on those who endanger others but fighting for sport or fun has never felt fulfilling for me like it has for everyone else.

As I get close to the corner, a big, icy claw hooks around the bricks, and attached to it is yet another person I'm not happy to see.

>"And where are you going? The fun was just about to get started!"

Hacket And. Employed by Corrio-Public Postal. Employed for 2 and a half years. 29 new world delivery runs.

"I'm going to tell you what I told Riker and Bett. I'm not interested in a dual."
>"Neither am I, miss. I'm looking for something far more exciting."
"Good luck with that. I'll be leaving"
>"Not so hasty. I'll need you to stick around until a fifth comes by."
"Don't tell me you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do."
>"Fight clusters are fun! Taking down multiple opponents has really become my style. Don't tell me that you, the great and powerful Ecoa has never participated in a fight cluster before."
"I was in one yesterday. I don't think them to be that fun."
>"Awwwww, you think I'm not a challenge enough for you?"

He may be Casted, but I think he is too overconfident. His Casted ability is different from the vine control one I saw on the ridge, it seems he can turn parts of himself into large chunks of ice. I haven't fought with him before so I'm not sure what the limits of his capabilities are. Casted aves are fairly rare, rarer than holders of evil eyes seeing as being struck by lightning is harder to have happen than being handed a pair of glowing pupils. That being said, I have encountered my fair share of Casted fighters.
>>
No. 1024996 ID: f9f867

All of that implies getting struck by lighting in the New World happens fairly frequently.

Why did you take the duelist oath in the first place?

Let's get this guy invested in watching the fight and slip up while he is distracted.
>>
No. 1024998 ID: f5cb49

Why are there so many people obsessed with fighting working for postal service?
You just met three in a row.
>>
No. 1025000 ID: 2aa5f0

ask out loud to no one in general why you seem to only be challenge to duels while you're on the job? No ever seems to came for you when you are actually off the clock but whenever you have something to actually deliver they come out of the woodworks to challenge you. While they're on the clock as well it seems. Why do so many people seem to only want to duel while both you and them working?
>>
No. 1025003 ID: ce39da

Quietly, so that Riker doesn't overhear: "I'm going to put this bluntly, Hacket; my odds have almost zero bearing on how I've grown to resent both this hobby and my past self for taking it up in the first place. I gain less than nothing, whether I win or lose; either way, I'm wasting my very life-force on 'fun.' Unless you have a coin to throw away, no means no."
>>
No. 1025004 ID: a2493c

>>1024995
"my ability literally kills me. no, I have things I want to do with my life outside of fighting."
>>
No. 1025015 ID: 93ba79

>>1025004 this, plus:
"Like my job. Which involves keeping my cargo away from fights. Why can't any of you people wait until we're done with the delivery?"
>>
No. 1025035 ID: 96c896

>>1024995
Well, fighting all five at once will at least save time. Also, say if you win then none of them can challenge you to a fight of any kind for a whole year.
>>
No. 1025065 ID: 2cfe46

Wonder if that ave that didn't want to fight would be up for joining you and doing your respective mail routes together instead of with one of these fools.
. We'd have to sneak away to meet with them first
>>
No. 1025141 ID: 2de4fd

Hey, idea. Turn this guy into your personal therapist.

Tell him how unfulfilling fighting is for you. Tell him about how you just want to get on with your life and not deal with people constantly treating your existence as just another conquest. Try to make him uncomfortable to be around you as possible. Two can play at this pestering game.
>>
No. 1025147 ID: 8483cf

>>1025141
I support therapy bird.
>>
No. 1025301 ID: 0d2343
File 164644138581.png - (316.21KB , 800x600 , RTS63.png )
1025301

>Why are there so many people obsessed with fighting working for the postal service?
It's one of the world's many mysteries. It could be that the difficult work weeds out the weak while keeping the strong, or the fact that postal companies are some of the only employers that hire ex-convicts and ex-pirates for new world delivery. I don't think either of those explanations are the case. It doesn't explain why 2 of the top 10 strongest people in the world are postal workers, 4th and 9th strongest to be specific. To put that into perspective, only 3 of the top ten are dragon tier hunters.

>Why did you take the duellist oath in the first place?
I was younger and reckless. Truthfully, I didn't think I would be around for this long.

>Why do they approach you only while on the job?
They are impatient if I had to guess.

"Kindling literally kills me. no, I have things I want to do with my life outside of fighting."
>"Is that why you left the army? And here I thought they were treating you well. You got your crescents, bedding and meals provided, what did you expect? to live forever?"
"Hey, uh, sorry to interrupt! -But, uh, are you trying to fight this random postal worker while we're on the clock? Can we save this for later? I really want to get all these deliveries done, because we saved that weird return to sender package for last, and I really wanna see who it goes to!" Seems that just like Bett's delivery partner, this one is also against anyone fighting. She mentioned a peculiar package, I wonder if it's like the one we have.
>"I don't caaaaare. I only get five or six good fights per route, so let me have this!"
"Why do you always fight people? I'll never get it. Isn't it against our code or something?"
>"I'm not using a weapon, am I? Nope. Soooooo this is all up to code, believe it or not."

"I just want to be left alone to enjoy what I have left without people treating my existence as just another conquest."
>"Well said. I also don't care."
"If I fight all of you and win, will you all leave me alone, forever?"
>"I'd be up for that. You'd have to ask the other participants if they can also agree."
>>
No. 1025302 ID: 0d2343
File 164644142036.png - (385.78KB , 800x600 , RTS64.png )
1025302

We look over at Riker and Bett who are soon to engage in a fight. I look closely to try to figure out what Bett's eyes do for him.

As is typical, Riker moves first, kindling her arms and trying to hit Bett, but every swing misses as Bett dodges effortlessly. Impressive considering how fast kindled attacks move, but there might be more to it.

Rikers endless barrage of attacks continues for several minutes, missing punches, kicks, and everything in between. She isn’t able to touch him, not even once. I'm convinced that he is either trying to taunt Riker or wear her down.

If his goal is to wear her down, it's working, as her flames die down as she becomes short of breath. She winds up for another attack, running towards him and jumping to throw a hit down at him, but this is when Bett decides to do his attack. He turns around, plants his arms on the ground in front of him, and launches his legs directly into Rikers torso, planting a devastating hit hard enough to knock the wind out of Riker's lungs completely.

Her flames dissipate and she falls to the ground, rolls to her side while holding onto her stomach, groaning in pain.
While she won't admit defeat, this victory obviously goes to Bett.

There is something interesting to note, something I don't think Riker nor Hacket noticed. Bett's reaction time wasn't just great, it was perfect. Too perfect. Before Riker winded up her final attack, Bett was already preparing for the devastating counterattack. In other words, Bett reacted to what Riker would do before she even did it. Maybe before she even thought to do it. He couldn't have predicted it either as they have never fought, and she only used this attack once.

>"Bett is such a weird fighter. His fighting style is... weird and gross, not sure what other way to say it."
Hacket perks up and looks over at me
>"I feel it! I can feel our fifth coming this way. And oooh is this guy strong! Can you feel it Ecoa? Oh yes, this is gonna be the best fight We've all had in years!"
He says that, but I haven't felt genuinely threatened by a fighter in years. I either avoid fights or try to win as quick as possible. I doubt this would be any different.
>>
No. 1025310 ID: 2de4fd

Just leave right now, these dillholes aren't worth it. They should have plenty to deal with having a 4 way fight without you.
>>
No. 1025316 ID: 96c896

He's got future-sight. The eyes let him predict what his opponent will do. That's a very difficult ability to counter. I think you might have to let him attack first and try to counter-attack. That, or force him into a situation he can't do anything about. Maybe he'll be so focused on dodging your attacks he won't notice that he's walked into a wall, or something?

Approach the two who just finished and get them to agree to your wager.
>>
No. 1025318 ID: 5d9787

The priority should be getting away, but in case we can't let's think of ways we can win this.

How do you fight someone who always know what you gonna do?
Bett mentioned he could see his victory before the fight start, but that could be an exaggeration. We can either overwhelm him with sequences of attacks that last longer than what he is capable of predicting or move faster than he can react. Regardless only throw a punch in his direction if you are planing to follow it with many more.

Hacket want to fight multiple opponents at once, so I guess he is planning to make opportunistic attacks on any participant. This is a bad combination with Bett's eyes, because he will be able to see Hacket interrupting your combos before you and coordinate a well timed counterattack against you. So only attack Bett when Hacket is too busy to attack you.

Riker want to duel you, so she might consider defeating you in a four way fight as worthless to her oath as you letting her win. If she get up try to coordinate with her.
>>
No. 1025319 ID: ce39da

> World's Strongest
Okay, Imma ask bluntly: Are you #9 or #4?

> Special Eyes
Yeah, Bett can see the future. He hasn't possessed the eyes for all that long, and it shows. If you go on the offensive against him, you (probably) lose, period. Of course, there's a pretty obvious counter to it; wait for him to come to you and react to what he does. Depending on how far into the future he can observe, he may have to start an attack to see how you react, giving him little time to correct himself. Your win-state is to get him in a grapple or otherwise put him in a position where even all the foresight in the world can't save him.

> The 5th Approaches
"By the way, it was a rhetorical question, Hacket. As a duelist, I have the right to refuse any challenger, so unless you have a coin to throw at me, I'm leaving as soon as I take down Bett." Enter the ring right now. In a free-for-all, you could win easily, but everyone might gang up on you first. That won't necessarily end in your defeat, but it'll be too big of a headache in the meantime.
>>
No. 1025331 ID: 2aa5f0

you know, seeing how popular fighting is amongst the postal services out here you'd think that at some point someone would abuse the fact that you're all postal workers and send out a massive invitation to all the postal branches about a tournament for all the postal fighters to get together and fight each other. Hell seeing how fight hungry some of them are they could probably make it an annual thing as well. All they'd need is a location to fight at and seeing how your guys job is to travel I'm sure someone would know of an uninhabited island or something where all this could go down.

As for purple eyes I'd say his eyes let him see the future or something close to that so he knows what you're going to do before you do it letting him put up the perfect counter. Best way to counter that I think would to be not to attack him first, to counter him forcing him to commit to his attacks so even if he can see the future he just wouldn't have the ability to shift out of a commented attack before you counter attack him. Basically just be a defensive/reactive fighter instead of an aggressive one and you'll probably take away a good amount of wind from his sails.

Also have you ever met those 2 postal workers that are on the top 10 list? If so what are they like and are they just as glory hungry as most of you competitors(?) (I mean they're all from different postal companies so I'm guessing they're competition) or more like you and just couldn't care less?
>>
No. 1025416 ID: 15a025

Probably worth it if you can get them to promise to leave you alone afterwards.

What are the chances you could sock'et to them without even using your kindling powers?
>>
No. 1026304 ID: 0d2343
File 164734045370.png - (413.51KB , 800x600 , RTS65.png )
1026304

>Are you #9 or #4?
Neither. Not even close. Truthfully, I don't know where I stand. I suspect that in my teenage years I was closer to the mid-30s.
>have you ever met those 2 postal workers that are on the top 10 list?
I've met number nine back when he was number 10, before Ackerlade "died" and consequently bumped everyone up a place. Having briefly met Primm, there is an ocean of skill difference between him and the Iron Post's strongest delivery ave. Even so, such strong individuals cause me to lose my cool, even with years of practise suppressing my emotions.


>Bett has future-sight
That seems to be one of the few logical conclusions I can come to. It's troublesome but not impossible to combat. I can wait for him to attack me, but judging from his fighting style, he will always bait others into attacking him first.

>seeing how popular fighting is amongst the postal workers, you'd think they would organize a tournament.
It has never been an organized thing. Just a coincidence, I think. At least for myself, my ability to fight was never a motivator to work for postal delivery.


I try to move past Hacket, making it my upmost priority to avoid this encounter altogether. I'm tired of this. I've never enjoyed fighting others, and I doubt I ever will.

Hacket, on the other hand, acts to block my way by turning his entire body into ice, enlarging himself in the process. Having no downsides makes casted aves some of the most annoying and difficult opponents to combat.
"Trying to go somewhere? We were just getting started. I'm gonna need you to stick around, just a little longer, ok?"
"Is that supposed to intimidate me?"
"Nothing intimidates you, that's what makes you so fun!"
"This is tiring."
"Well don't go to sleep just yet! The show's just about to start!"

>What are the chances you could sock'et to them without even using your kindling powers?
Virtually zero at this point.
>>
No. 1026305 ID: 0d2343
File 164734051098.png - (362.82KB , 800x600 , RTS66.png )
1026305

I go to address all that have gathered so far.
"Listen up. I don't want to fight, but I will if I have to. if this ends with all of your defeats, I want you all to leave me alone.
"As agreed earlier, you have my word."
"I can agree to those terms."
>"g-go to hell... I'll keep trying to fight until I win..."

2/3 is good enough for me. Now to see who number 5 is.

"Here he comes, the fifth fighter of the hour! I can feel a lot of energy coming from this guy, so this'll be fun."
"A fighting cluster? Not what I was expecting to get into today, but it sounds fun! Who's the big guy approaching? I call dibs!"
>"What's going on? Another clown coming over? eh... Hey I kinda recognize him. Isn’t he from the Iron Post?"

I look over to the figure they are talking about. I get a good look in and I can recognize...

O-oh... Oh god. Oh my god.

It's him.

>"He's called... What's his name... oh, that's right. The Kiln."

This complicates things a bit.
>>
No. 1026306 ID: 0d2343
File 164734054097.png - (177.41KB , 800x600 , RTS67.png )
1026306

You are now following Rainer.

That was stupid.

Drinking was a big mistake, and I won't touch another drop until I'm off this island and I have my freedom for real.

I rummaged through the chests in the mail delivery ship, but I couldn't find a weapon to hijack it, or any other ship for that matter. All I found was junk. The only worthwhile items I could find were a book about this island and a bit of cash. I also took a coat which covers my lower side better, just in case that Pascoe guy tattled on me, and I need to conceal my chimera side better.

Ah, damn it, he has probably told vice warden Mako everything. I wouldn't be surprised if search parties are forming at this very moment. The town guards have probably already been told and are looking for someone of my description. I still have a chance though. I need to come up with a plan to get off this island and start a new life.

I am in the alleyway between a couple buildings, somewhere in the middle of the colony. I have no idea about the locations of this colony, I've only every seen it from my cell window. Being outside is a bit surreal, but I need to adapt quickly. I need an objective.
>>
No. 1026308 ID: 2aa5f0

read the book and get an idea.

Short of that you're only other choice is to try and hope a a ship that's leaving but since you're in postal gear you'll have to limit it to the same postal service as you're pretending to be or bullshit some non postal ship that you have an urgent delivery to make. Just ask where they're going first and whatever answer they gave look relieved and claim you need to head out that way for an urgent delivery but your ship is undergoing dry dock repairs and while be down for too long.
>>
No. 1026311 ID: 3328c7

Give yourself up to the authorities. We talked about this.

.....

Alright, fine. Try to buy a weapon somewhere. There's probably a store for those nearby.
>>
No. 1026315 ID: 2aef11

We need to find a way to hide the fact that we're a chimera, just in case.

Solution: pants.
>>
No. 1026316 ID: 5d9787

You changed your plans again? What was even the point of completing that last deliver yesterday if you no longer plan to act like a postal officer?

To take over a ship with the treat of violence you need accomplices, otherwise you will have trouble managing the hostages, specially when you need to sleep. Would you be capable of telling if the course has being changed when you were not looking?
Deception and cooperation are better tools for this first trip.

If you want to leave with the pang cake crew you need to endure their schedule. In case the uncertainty is too much for you to endure get in contact with Askot. You will need her help to keep Pascoe quiet, even if it's by selling him false hope.

Alternatively you could join a different crew with plans to leave sooner. Use your fake identity, ask for help from other postal officers as colleague, pay for passage or promise to work with them. It doesn't really matter what arrangement you reach as long as you manage to departure soon.
>>
No. 1026323 ID: 7bd4d2

Objective: enjoy freedom while you still have it. Have you ever tried this new world thing called cocoa?
>>
No. 1026498 ID: ba2bc3

Would writting a note telling what happen and stealing the ship an option?

Also, if someone ask why you are covering why are you hidding the fact of being a chimera you can tell that you have a complex about it.
>>
No. 1026706 ID: 15a025

You'd blend in and hide a lot better acting the role as a mail courier. Get some mail and wander around a bit. You could always talk to the locals on the way and ask about the area. Play it off as being new to the new world.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason