|HWC by Farmer|
Adventures of a linguistically limited rescue robot and his wingman.
The (previously lost) third thread is currently being run on MSPA, with an ancillary suggestion thread on tgchan. Whups, MSPA died.
|This article is a stub. You can help improve Wikiquest by expanding it.|
|This quest has broken links. Threads may have been deleted or lost.|
Andrews' Word List
These are the parameters I use when rewriting what he says. Have fun!
- Single numbers. ("Two-zero-mike" instead of "twenty million")
- Single letters. He can't combine them though ('Naomi' would come as "En-Ay-Oh-Em-Yi) so he just avoids them.
- The NATO phonetic alphabet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet ). Interestingly enough, he can't use those words for anything else (cant say 'golf' to refer the game). Except when they are in the other word lists.
- The Basic English word list, as found in http://ogden.basic-english.org/words.html
- He can verb any word, but not tense them
- -s plurals allowed
- 'Agenting' (-r and -er suffix) not allowed.
- Military / Air Force jargon
- If a word can be replaced with one from the Basic Word List, he uses the Basic one ('state' instead of 'status'; I slipped in No Animals Were Harmed)
- If a word is too useful outside military meaning, its not jargon.
- If a word has a meaning specific enough / is too useful / is too much part of the Air Force culture, he knows it ('Wingman')
- He can say every military rank, but not every military position (an officer at Logistics would probably come out as 'Transport Lieutenant')
- He can say air force slang. So far, he just chose not to.
- 'Sir' and 'Ma'am'.
For the record, these are some of his known words. I'll add more as the list grows.
- Wingman, Flank, Sat (from satellite), Acknowledged (ACK, radio)
Andrews has assembled a vocab of concepts he needed words for. Feel free to let this list grow.
- Fire-death Gun; The firehose.
- Fire Authority: The Firemen Corps. The Authority by itself usually means The Police.
- The Beautiful Game: Soccer. Don't take it as him being a soccer fan; I added here mostly to show possibilities, as its an actual term for the game he can use (even if its rarely used).
It IS of note...
- ... that Andrews is a native English speaker, and can understand perfectly anything that is said to him.
- ... that he knows he's working with a limited set of words, and works around it.
- ... that he speaks brokenly on purpose. The why is left to speculation.
- ... that he can use any word he knows with any meaning he can think of, except for the NATO phonetic alphabet thing.
Appearances by the cast Inside the Quest.
|Quests by Farmer|
Collaborations: R.A.M. vs G.A.C.