[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 161213822880.png - (4.12KB , 800x600 , 0.png )
986696 No. 986696 ID: 15a025

An intermission thread for The Herd

Previous Threads & Wiki:
https://questden.org/wiki/The_Herd

Discussion Thread: https://questden.org/kusaba/questdis/res/115339.html
19 posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Expand all images
>>
No. 991078 ID: 15a025
File 161567785940.png - (5.24KB , 800x600 , 6.png )
991078

>Who are we dueling?
>Ey boss, remind me who we're killing and why?
Marsh: "So, who's the unlucky sap I get to beat up tonight then?"

He lets out a smug laugh.
Captain: "You're looking at him."

Marsh: "Heh, you think you got what it takes this time?"

Captain: "It's now or never. I need to win that sword from you now, more than ever. The amount of power and riches I could gain from it with the war going on. I'd have enough to retire for two lifetimes."

Marsh: "Yeah you say you'd retire, I think you're too much of a salty seadog to retire."

Captain: "Hmph. We'll see about that. Come! Let us head up to the desk."

He gets up, we clang our mugs of coffee together, and we both down the rest of it.
>>
No. 991079 ID: 15a025
File 161567797387.png - (4.99KB , 800x600 , 7.png )
991079

Once we're up on the deck we both draw our swords.

Captain: "Same rules as always. First to tap out or otherwise become incapacitated loses."

Marsh: "Hope you've stocked up on bandages-"

Captain: "Oh don't worry. We've got plenty for you. Now, on the count of three we start!"

Alright then, that's about three seconds to decide how I'm going to open this fight.
List of Marsh's enchantments:

Shatter Shot- Takes water built inside the sword and fires a sharp icicle. The more water used, the bigger the projectile. Marsh can have the icicle shatter like a grenade for possible spread damage. Twenty second cool down. Requires water built up in the sword.

Geyser- Allows Marsh to take from a water source and blast a powerful stream of it at something. Water built up in the sword can also be used. Thirty second cool down.

Spike Set- Marsh can freeze water on the ground and raise sharp spikes made of ice. Ice already on the ground can also be reshaped into spikes. Thirty second cool down.

Absorption- Marsh can refill her sword with water from a nearby by source. Ten second cool down.

Frosted Coating- Takes all of the water in Marsh's sword and uses it to freeze over and extend the sword by three inches per gallon. Extended part of the sword shatters upon impact. One minute cool down.

Marsh's Sword can hold up to two gallons of water a time. This also affects the weight of the sword.

A note on cool down.
When Marsh uses an enchantment, the cool down is universal. Say she uses Geyser. She will be unable to cast an enchantment again until that thirty second cool down has expired.
>>
No. 991083 ID: b1b4f3

>>991079
How good are you at handling the water weight? Absorption seems like a good opener, as it opens up the option for other abilities, and has a low cooldown. If you have issues moving the sword quickly with two whole gallons in it, that could make swordplay a bit difficult, and I'd rather open with Geyser to try to get a hit in and put water on the ground.
>>
No. 991134 ID: 894419

>>991079
Use geyser to pull water over from the edge of the deck and spray it into his eyes. Then swing the sword at full weight overhead at him while he's blinded.
>>
No. 995382 ID: 15a025
File 161792818165.png - (5.35KB , 800x600 , 8.png )
995382

>How good are you at handling the water weight?
It's not too heavy for me, but it does slow my swings down a little.

>that could make swordplay a bit difficult, and I'd rather open with Geyser to try to get a hit in and put water on the ground.
>Use geyser to pull water over from the edge of the deck and spray it into his eyes.
I focus my thoughts on the ocean and start channeling the water for a geyser blast.
Marsh: "Alright you ol seadog, let's see how well you can swim upstream! Geyser eruption!"

I let loose the water I channeled from over the deck and blast a powerful torrent of water at him.

Captain: "Ah that's cold!"

Alright, with all that water soaking his face, it should be harder for him to see now. Maybe I can get in and make this qui-"
>>
No. 995383 ID: 15a025
File 161792822725.png - (5.39KB , 800x600 , 9.png )
995383

Captain: "I think we need to get this battle a little more heated!"

He shoves his sword down onto the deck and I start to hear a sizzling noise. Crap! He's using his sword to boil the water on the deck?! Within seconds the water boils up into a thick steamy fog. I get the feeling that's him using an enchantment to heat up the water, otherwise I don't think anyone can manage to hold onto that thing.

Alright, I could start moving in and getting closer, or I could go on the defensive while I wait for my sword to recharge here. I've still got water on the deck I could work with, so that's still an option for later.

Updated stats-
Enchantment cool down- 20 seconds left.
Sword: 0/2 gallons.
>>
No. 995384 ID: 894419

>>995383
Wait for him to come to you and solidify the remaining water into spikes as he steps over it!
>>
No. 995400 ID: 0d6409

He wants you to stay defensive right now, but I don’t think you have any better options unless you burst through the steam and surprise attack him.
>>
No. 995412 ID: c6266d

You could try carving a hole into the deck and hiding over the side before the steam clears up, that way when he tries going into the hole after you, you got the opportunity to strike from behind.
>>
No. 996365 ID: 6c85e8

>>995384
Cooldown's an issue. If he starts to charge you he might have something that lets him see through the fog. And he might have different cooldowns. So I'd move to the side quietly in case he throws something at you.
>>
No. 999530 ID: 15a025

Unsure of how to handle a moment in the coming update so letting the dice decide it. Rolling for results of an action against Marsh.
Higher number = better outcome for Marsh.
>>
No. 999531 ID: 15a025

rolled 1 = 1

>>999530
Okay fugged up the dice code, guess there's a space needed? Try this again.
>>
No. 999534 ID: 15a025
File 162059081782.png - (5.13KB , 800x600 , 10.png )
999534

>Wait for him to come to you and solidify the remaining water into spikes as he steps over it!
>He wants you to stay defensive right now, but I don’t think you have any better options unless you burst through the steam and surprise attack him.

Not a huge fan of being forced into a defensive position, but there's not much I can do about that. I'll stay here cautiously for now and wait for the fog to clear up a bit and for my sword to recharge.

>Cooldown's an issue. If he starts to charge you he might have something that lets him see through the fog. And he might have different cooldowns. So I'd move to the side quietly in case he throws something at you.

I step over to the side a bit. It's very possible what he just used has a faster cooldown than the enchantment I used. I'll stay alert in case he's got a fire ball or something to launch at me, seeing through the fog is going to be tough though. I position my sword a little differently so it's easier to block any projectiles with it, if needed.

I can hear him moving a bit, but I can only roughly see his movements. It doesn't look like he's moving closer-

Captain: "Coil!"

Crap, it is faster. Still five seconds-
>>
No. 999535 ID: 15a025
File 162059083621.png - (4.79KB , 800x600 , 11.png )
999535

A thin red light bursts through the fog! Quickly it moves around the deck floor, and before I can react, it slams around and hits my leg. I try to kick it away, but it starts quickly wrapping around my leg, burning like hell! Not long after, something yanks it and I'm toppled onto the ground. It's still pulling on me, but I'm strong enough here to pull back and hold my ground. I got to do something quick here because it's starting to get hotter.

Enchantments Ready.
>>
No. 999572 ID: 894419

>>999535
Use frosted coating to ice up your blade then cut through the coil near your ankle.
>>
No. 999640 ID: b1b4f3

Frosted coating has the worst cooldown. I feel like absorb is a better choice here since we can use it to remove the fog and better see what's going on.
>>
No. 999923 ID: 6c85e8

Yeah absorbing the fog seems the best bet. If he's going to attack you, deal with that once you can see. Otherwise you can try to cut the coil away
>>
No. 1001414 ID: 15a025
File 162172629642.png - (5.36KB , 800x600 , 12.png )
1001414

>Use frosted coating to ice up your blade then cut through the coil near your ankle.
That'd be a good idea, but no water in the sword right now.

>I feel like absorb is a better choice here since we can use it to remove the fog and better see what's going on.
>Yeah absorbing the fog seems the best bet.
Now that's a genius idea. Focusing on that is going to be hard with this burning thing strangling and yanking on my leg though.
I try to hold my ground with one hand, and use my sword one handed to try and cut the coil. It pulls me forward a bit, but after a few strikes I break free. What's left of what wrapped around my leg fizzles out, and I notice my sword's melted a bit. My leg's burned pretty badly, but I can get back up alright.
>>
No. 1001415 ID: 15a025
File 162172631597.png - (5.54KB , 800x600 , 13.png )
1001415

I start focusing on absorbing the fog, and use what I absorb to repair my sword. If you think it's worth the risk, and being vulnerable for a few more seconds I can continue casting absorb here and get some more water from the ocean stored into my sword. He's probably on cool down again now, so the only thing I really have to worry about is him charging in.
>>
No. 1001433 ID: e7c7d3

If he's on cool down, then it's our advantage to strike now
>>
No. 1001456 ID: 96c896

He has to be on cooldown. That coil move is a good one, I'd wager at least 20 seconds cooldown on it.
Get the full benefit out of your absorb, then you can hit him with a heavier weapon.
>>
No. 1001774 ID: d51063

>>1001456
do this!
>>
No. 1001794 ID: 6c85e8

COoldowns can be unpredictable but it's definitely a good time to rush in. Still, be wary. He might have more tricks up his sleeve.
>>
No. 1001875 ID: 6c227a

may as well get practice in with all the sword options. Recharge!
>>
No. 1002351 ID: 15a025
File 162258758157.png - (4.95KB , 800x600 , 14.png )
1002351

>He has to be on cooldown. That coil move is a good one, I'd wager at least 20 seconds cooldown on it.
Get the full benefit out of your absorb, then you can hit him with a heavier weapon.
>If he's on cool down, then it's our advantage to strike now
>Cool downs can be unpredictable but it's definitely a good time to rush in.
Well cooldown or not, he still has a sword in paw to swing around. I'm getting a little tired of playing defensive here though, so I better take this chance now before he really starts backing me in a corner.

I rush in to swing and he just barely manages to whip up his sword, deflect the blow, and move off to the side. I try to keep my momentum up and continue moving forward further, trying to stay out of counter attack range.

Enchantments ready.
>>
No. 1002352 ID: e7c7d3

Spike-ify that puddle underneath them!
>>
No. 1002353 ID: 96c896

>>1002352
yeah!
>>
No. 1004662 ID: 15a025
File 162517260166.png - (5.08KB , 800x600 , 15.png )
1004662

>Spike-ify that puddle underneath them!
I quickly turn around while charging up to cast the enchantment.

Marsh: "You're not too sharp, are you? Let's fix that. Spikes!"

Captain: "Huh? Ah shi-"

He howls in pain as the spikes go up and pierce his paws. He quickly hops back off the froze puddle of spikes, dripping a bit of blood.

The spikes must have hit pretty deep on one paw, his stance looks like he's putting more weight on his left side now.
>>
No. 1004663 ID: 15a025
File 162517266020.png - (5.74KB , 800x600 , 16.png )
1004663

He looks at me dead in the eye as his sword flares up. He lets out a howl and makes a hard swing-
>>
No. 1004664 ID: 15a025
File 162517276808.png - (4.87KB , 800x600 , 17.png )
1004664

Yipe! He's about to blast me, not slash me! No sooner than I start moving out of the way, I see the flaming projectile fly by. The shot looked like it was curved pretty hard though. Is his foot injury bad enough that it's messing with his aim?

Enchantments ready
>>
No. 1004665 ID: c2dc82

>>1004664
Charge him and geyser him simultaneously, he's already wrong footed. If you get him square in the chest he'll probably topple, then you can finish this with the blade, the old fashioned way.
>>
No. 1004667 ID: 96c896

>>1004664
Could be a boomerang projectile. Watch out for the return trip.
Keeping that in mind, you can continue to attack with the intent of driving him into more puddles to spike him again. He'll have to choose to either fight with awkward footing or retreat away from the puddles, and in the latter case you could potentially force him against the railing to defeat him.
>>
No. 1004694 ID: 6c85e8

Doesn't that put him on cooldown? If that's the case, going full-on aggressive might be the best play here. He's on the back foot and he just spent the rest of his offense. Sure, boomerang projectile could be bad on the return trip, but this is a great chance to inflict some hurt very quickly and possibly finish the fight.
>>
No. 1005961 ID: 15a025
File 162666204956.png - (5.16KB , 800x600 , 18.png )
1005961

>Charge him and geyser him simultaneously-
I can't move and cast a spell at the same time, takes too much concentration for me.
>Could be a boomerang projectile. Watch out for the return trip.
Noted.

>continue to attack with the intent of driving him into more puddles to spike him again. He'll have to choose to either fight with awkward footing or retreat away from the puddles, and in the latter case you could potentially force him against the railing to defeat him.
>Doesn't that put him on cooldown? If that's the case, going full-on aggressive
I make my charge towards him with my sword. Starting to really feel that burn from earlier but I'm not letting that slow me down yet. As I get closer it looks like he's going to try and hold his ground, with bad footing? That thing has to boomerang or he's got something planned. Stalling for time to till he can use another enchantment maybe?

I keep my ears perked as I make a swing towards his right side. He blocks it, and I can see the pain in his face from having to put pressure on his left paw. I gotta think quick here on what to do next. His sword is melting mine a bit, but I'm also putting out his sword a little as well.

If I wanted to go all in on pressuring his paw, I'm not sure how long or well I can do that seeing how his sword in more curved than mine. That'll make it easier for him to slide out and counter than it'd be for me. I could use this as a distraction to try and stomp his bad paw or kick his leg? Then I got to figure out how to take care of that boomerang, if it is coming back. How do you tactical geniuses think I should go about this here? Lots going on and I ain't got much time to think about it all.
>>
No. 1005963 ID: 96c896

You could try a grapple, turn him around to make his own boomerange hit him.
>>
No. 1005964 ID: 894419

>>1005961
Stomp his foot then slip under his guard on his non-dominant side to put yourself on the opposite side of him.
>>
No. 1006020 ID: 2de4fd

Put out his sword. Full geyser at point-blank range, soak him to the bone. When that's done, swivel around to the injured side away from any boomerangs and hold your sword to him. Checkmate.
>>
No. 1008763 ID: 0a6559

>>1005964
Yeah, simple but effective, I like this one.
>>
No. 1008955 ID: 15a025
File 163020682724.png - (5.07KB , 800x600 , 19.png )
1008955

>Stomp his foot then slip under his guard on his non-dominant side to put yourself on the opposite side of him.
While he's distracted with eyes on my sword, I lean and push even more onto his sword.

Captain: "You're swords going to break before my guard will at this rate!"

Then I smash my foot into his, claws first. He cusses in pain as I try to dig into his injured foot a little while his guard slowly starts losing force. Once I get the chance I slide my sword away and slip behind him. I get my sword up to his neck now, ready to end it.

>Put out his sword. Full geyser at point-blank range, soak him to the bone. When that's done, swivel around to the injured side away from any boomerangs and hold your sword to him. Checkmate.
I can see the fire projectile coming in hot, but it looks pretty off course now.

Captain: "Heh, checkmate here isn't it?"

Marsh: "Now go mop the deck."

I blast him right in the face and start dousing out his sword, I'm interrupted when suddenly the ship starts moving and the two of us trip over.
>>
No. 1008956 ID: 15a025
File 163020692907.png - (5.53KB , 800x600 , 20.png )
1008956

Captain: "Oi oi! I didn't give no one permission to un-dock! Who's the filthy flob that thinks they can run this ship without captain's orders!"

Marsh: "Probably the same ones that put up more of a fight than their captain did."

Captain: "Sure, kick an ol guy while he's down."

Marsh: "I'm going to be doing more than that if you don't get up there behind the wheel and get this thing back on the docks. I did your little dance and number for the month-"

I hear a door squeal open and someone limps out onto the deck.

???: "Captain, we've got mutiny! Half the crew is either locked up in the brig or severally injured!"

Captain: "What!"

Half tempted to jump ship right now, I don't have time for whatever petty crap this is about.

Captain: "What bub thinks they can take over my ship and run it?"

???: "I don't know captain! Everyone got ambushed by the morning crew while we were resting up."

Captain: "How many we talking here? What fire power we up against?"

???: "Some are armed with knives and swords. Someone said the guys up by the control room are packing enchanted items."

Captain: "Tis not looking good. Both of us have injured legs from our duel tonight. Getting around won't be easy."

Marsh: "Speak for yourself. My leg's burned, not broken."

Being burned though, that ice cold ocean water might end up making it worse instead of better. How am I going to tackle this mess?
>>
No. 1008984 ID: e7c7d3

I say jump ship anyways
>>
No. 1008999 ID: 2f6ee3

>>1008956
You're in a good position to help your dueling buddy. Stock up on water, then prepare to use it. You should follow the captain's orders though.
>>
No. 1009048 ID: 83d8ae

>>1008999
aye, this.
>>
No. 1009928 ID: 15a025
File 163115454474.png - (3.78KB , 800x600 , 21.png )
1009928

>You're in a good position to help your dueling buddy.
Better position he is to help anyway. As much as I'd love to jump ship, I guess I can't really leave him behind.

>Stock up on water, then prepare to use it.
Right. Once inside, it's going to be a lot harder to get a refill for my sword.

Marsh: "Don't think jumping ship and swimming to shore is going to be an option, so it looks like I'm stuck cleaning up your own mess Captain."

Captain: "Not like you've got much choice anyway land legs."

Marsh: "Yeah don't remind me. So tell me pipsqueak, what's the opposition's goal here? What are they after?"

Pipsqueak: "They're part of Valteste. They're hijacking and looting the ship in the name of Prince Halmen. I believe I heard they're also out for you Marsh?"

Probably after this sword more than me.

Captain: "To think I've been housing that flea-bag's troops."

Marsh: "Swallow your pride and cry about it later, if they're looting this ship we need to act fast then. Since someone deals in magic items and guns here, these royal jerks are going to take the only advantage we have over them. They'll outnumber and over power us if they get into your stock."

I talk with the captain and make a quick mental map of what's around us on this floor.

Points one are just restrooms. Only noteworthy as possible water refill areas.

Point two is a utility closest. Being a ship, there's more than just cleaning supplies hiding in there. Flare guns, matches, survival stuff kept in there.

Point three is a machining and repair shop.

Point four is an infirmary-medbay kinda area.

Point five is their dining hall and kitchen area. No door away in the main area, but the kitchen and pantry is all held behind heavier doors.

Ladder looking things on the east end of the ship go up to the second floor of the ship. That's where the higher up members in the crew stay and the captain's office is at. Ladder going down leads to the lower crew's quarters and 'the birg', probably a ladder going deeper in too.

Marsh: "Where on the ship do you hold the hotter stock captain?"

Captain: "Locked up in the high storage. It's a room close by the ship's control room. Only I 'ave the key though."

Marsh: "That might be true, but if they're up there with enchanted weapons already. How long is that door holding?"

Captain: "Probably awhile, she be military grade. I keep some smaller artillery and ammo locked up in the lower floor of the ship as well."

Should be enough to start making a plan. Where should we head first?
>>
No. 1010048 ID: e7c7d3

Pont 2: raid the closet
>>
No. 1010201 ID: 15a025
File 163133810968.png - (6.05KB , 800x600 , 22.png )
1010201

>raid the closet
Marsh: "Utility closest should be our first stop. We might get a variety of gear in there, from fire power to first aid in there."

Captain: "They're probably expecting us to head to the infirmary after our fight, so they might have their eyes focused on the other entrance too."

Marsh: "Exactly."

Heading into ship, seems I'm right. I can smell others here, but I don't see anyone on this side.
Marsh: "Safe, move."

We quickly make our way into the utility closet and start taking inventory of useful items
Flare Gun x2
Flares x4
Box of matches x5 (20 matches per box)
Lavender Air Freshener can x2
Pocket knife
Radio x2 (batteries included!)
First aid kits x5 x4-ish
Sword absorbable liquid cleaning supplies.
Box of Shop Wipes.

There's also other cleaning stuff and tools in here but nothing I can think of being weaponized or useful. Just ask if there's something else you think we might need. The pipsqueak here is working on patching up the Captain's paw with some bandage wraps and disinfecting it with some of the alcohol wipe things that were in the kit. Nothing much inside for my burn though.

What all are we hauling with us? I don't have pockets on me, so I can only hold one other thing. Captain can probably haul more since his jacket has pockets. No idea if the lil fella is going to fight with us or not though, so that's something else to decide on.
>>
No. 1010202 ID: 894419

>>1010201
You should take a radio, so should cap. Cap should take the flare gun and flares. They're not much but getting someone in the head with a blinding red hot flare could give you the split second you need to decide a fight.

Lil guy takes pocketknife so he's not unarmed, and air freshner to smell nice.

Absorb the liquid into your sword if you're not already full.
>>
No. 1010203 ID: 894419

>>1010202
oh uh, also take as many first aid kits as you can distribute.
>>
No. 1011042 ID: 15a025
File 163208677190.png - (5.99KB , 800x600 , 23.png )
1011042

>You should take a radio, so should cap.
I grab the radios and hand one over to Captain.
Marsh: "Probably be smart in case we need to split up."

Captain: "Aye."

>Cap should take the flare gun and flares. They're not much but getting someone in the head with a blinding red hot flare could give you the split second you need to decide a fight.
Marsh: "Go take the flare gun too. We're going to need some good ranged options for combat."

He goes over and loads up.

>Lil guy takes pocketknife so he's not unarmed, and air freshner to smell nice.
I hand pipsqueak the pocket knife and some air freshener, along with some matches

Pipsqueak: "Matches and an air freshener?"

Marsh: "Not the safest of options for defense, but if things get really bad we'll need whatever we can get. Can you carry a first aid kit as well?"

Pipsqueak: "Sure can!"

Now it's time to decide what our plan of attack is going to be. We could make our way upstairs to the ship's controls and try to regain control of the ship. We don't know what we're really up against though, so we might get overpowered and outnumbered if we make a rush. There's freeing the captured crew in the brig down below to increase our numbers, but that'll be giving the enemy more time to break in and get the Captain's stock of guns and enchanted items. Or if you've got other approaches we could make, I'm all ears.
>>
No. 1011321 ID: 894419

>>1011042
You don't have enough people to take the bridge. Marsh; you'll be the spearhead with tiny right behind you. Cap is in the worst shape so he should take up the rear. If the brig is near the engines you can sabotage them to make sure the rebels don't link up with any allies at sea on the way.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason