[Burichan] [Futaba] [Nice] [Pony]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]

Report completed threads!

[Catalog View] :: [Archive] :: [Graveyard] :: [Rules] :: [Discussions] :: [Wiki] :: [Discord]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name (optional)
Email (optional, will be displayed)
Subject    (optional, usually best left blank)
Message
File []
Embed (advanced)   Help
Password  (for deleting posts, automatically generated)
  • How to format text
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, MP3, MP4, PNG, SWF, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 25600 KB.
  • Images greater than 250x250 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File 160052733355.jpg - (201.52KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 01.jpg )
976705 No. 976705 ID: 12b116

Disaster. An absolute disaster.

The trampled remains of the giant loaf of fancy Alustran bread from Aldenhead are scattered across the floor, covered in vomit, blood, and even less savory fluids.

Almost none of it had actually been eaten by the guests when some gnome had tried to run off with it.

Then the drunk had tried to stop the gnome, then more patrons decided to assist, then the brawl began in earnest.

In the process, the bread got destroyed.
61 posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Expand all images
>>
No. 985544 ID: 12b116
File 161050510465.jpg - (505.63KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 17.jpg )
985544

You reflect on the fact that Eth seems to go in on pretty much everything either half- or no-cocked, and works with Albah, who seems to assume everybody they encounter has this same personality trait. Or at least hopes that they do.

You also ask the devata who bound her.

"Ah! What a terrible memory!" she says, grinning widely. "I protected this place for a long time. Some human trapped me here for some reason a few hundred years ago. In my own temple! But some other people were fighting those people, and someone did something and displaced my temple and the demesne surrounding it. But those bindings broke down over time, and now my demesne has returned into this reality. But I am still trapped in my own temple! Ah, how terrible!"

Well, this all seems extremely suspicious to you, but also very easily explains why this place was so close to town. It also explains why a rakshasa would know about it. It seems like spirity-devata type stuff, so they probably know about that, being spirity things.

You ask what the specifics of being beholden to you would mean.

"Ah! What a horrible thought! But a necessary one!" she says. "I would owe each of you a boon." She indicates you, Eth and Albah, pointing with her chin. "I will be accompanying you until such time as you request your boon, at which time I will grant it. Please stay with one another until such time as you select a boon, at which time please feel free to depart if you so choose." Her huge smile seems so sincere! You also notice that her body is completely still. There's no twitching or pulling in discomfort, like you'd expect from somebody wrapped up in ropes.

You ask if she would be able to produce a loaf of Alustran bread.

"What an interesting desire!" The devata beams, somewhat literally. "Such a thing is well within my power."

You also consider just going to the inn with her. That would be certain to draw a crowd! You'd have to get Eth and Albah to either ask for their boons or come with you, though.

You know that boons from devatas can sometimes backfire on the person who requests them, if old stories are to be believed, and that the more extreme the wish, the more likely that is to happen.

You think about getting this in writing, but one thing you're sure of is that devatas can't lie, and are bound by their word. So you aren't too worried about her not holding up her end of the deal.

You ask Albah what she thinks. She turns to 'face,' you, awkwardly shrugging and tapping her head. You can still smell her pollen, but something must be disrupting her thought-communication.

Seeing as how Nariphons can't see to read or write, you aren't sure if you can communicate meaningfully with her at this point.

You borrow her club and use the end of it to push a gap into the line of salt and iron dust.

A pins-and-needles sensation crawls across your body, starting with your fingertips, and there's a smell like burnt copper and ammonia in the air as something invisible hisses and sizzles. A low susseration, like a hundred quietly-whispering voices, momentarily deafens you, and blackness creeps across the corners of your vision. You immediately feel heat radiating out from the bound devata, the crown of light on the ground beneath you hissing and fluctuating wildly as she beings to slowly drift forward.

You slowly back away.

"Ah, how awful!" the devata says, grinning. "I can smell the stink of a rakshasa on that gnome, and its foulness also from something nearby. We should leave my demesne." The light from her mandala and from her open mouth seem harsh now, somehow, slightly unpleasant to look upon.

Albah shakes her head slowly, staggering slightly as they start to walk toward the entrance of the temple.

You feel the amulet growing hot in your pocket. Not painfully so, but noticeably warm.

"Yeah, we should probably get out of here as quickly as possible," Eth says. "We should be safe in the city."

What do you do with the gnome? Albah's poison has definitely gotten to him at this point, and he's no real threat. That being said, he's also completely untrustworthy and works for something rather dangerous.

Do you tell Three Interwoven Branches Bearing Fruit about the amulet? Toss it? Do anything else with it?
You could also just keep it in your pocket.

Do you ask for a boon now, or take Three Interwoven Branches Bearing Fruit with you to the city?
Getting a boon now would basically make you be done with this whole adventure, and you could just go back home with whatever bread/treasure you asked the bound devata for. Alternatively, you could go back to the inn with everybody, which is sure to draw a huge crowd!

Something else?
>>
No. 985549 ID: b1b4f3

>>985544
What if you got MULTIPLE loaves of bread? But don't use the wish yet. She's bound to you for a while, so... if you need to, you could in theory repeat the ritual that the one human did.
Ask the devata why she was trapped in the temple and then severed from this reality. It sounds like someone, or multiple someones, wanted to get rid of her.

Can you turn the gnome in for conspiring with a rakshasa and not get in trouble for ambushing their group? If you're gonna go to jail for what you did today and the gnome is the only witness who can conclusively ID you, then he needs to be silenced somehow.

Tell the devata that you confiscated an item from the gnome. An amulet. Ask what it would do.
>>
No. 985550 ID: 46a721

It migth be a bit late to throw the amulet at the devata now that she is unleashed.

Maybe letting go of the gnome and returning to town with the devata as the brand new spectacle will be what we need for our inn.
>>
No. 985551 ID: 6f7a5a

Bring T.I.B.B.F. or "Tibbs" back to town!
she'll surely attract a lot of buisiness!
look how cute she is!
>>
No. 985552 ID: 0fae41

Leave the gnome be. The amulet's hot in more ways than one, ditch it. Maybe Eth would buy it off you if he's feeling adventurous. Offer a trade?
Should probably ask for your boon and not be seen with the fairy in town, again if retaliation is a concern you want some deniability.
>>
No. 985553 ID: 894419

>>985551
yeah do this, we need more time to think on our boon.
>>
No. 985554 ID: 094652

>Gnome
Bring them to yet another Exemplar for arrest.

>Amulet
Keep it. If it really mattered the Devata would have insisted you not touch anything in the temple at all.

>Boon
At this point? You have a major boon, you shouldn't waste it on bread. I'd recommend you wish for the eternal prosperity of your House, through lineage of both blood and bond (so adopting preserves the luck). As a conditioning statement, said luck will be revoked 'temporarily' to a family member if they cause harm to another family member.
>>
No. 985576 ID: 12b116
File 161054394185.jpg - (280.77KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 18.jpg )
985576

You aren't sure about very much, other than that you want to bring the devata back with you. You make your way back to the horse and head towards town.

You aren't sure if you should ditch the gnome or turn him in to an Exemplar. You ask Eth what he thinks, and notice him writing intensely on a little scrap of paper.

"Oh. Uh. I would prefer we just toss him into a ditch, but turning him in to an Exemplar would probably benefit us as well. If you do that, you'll probably have to turn the amulet over as well, as proof that they were working with a rakshasa, which is obviously a very bad thing to do." He considers for a moment. "You can't really ask the devata to vouch for you, because she didn't technically see anything or hear them talking about working for the rakshasa."

She purses her lips. "How unpleasant! I feel as if I am being distrusted!" She pauses. "Although obviously that is entirely correct."

The gnome himself is unconscious at this point, Albah carrying him like a luggage.

You ask the devata why she was trapped and displaced like she was.

"Unfortunate!" she says. "I can't say that I know the answer to that question."

When you're close to the city, Eth says "I'm going to have my boon now," and reads from the paper he'd been writing on.

The devata just nods.

"I want you to create a box with six potions inside," he begins, "Two of the potions should greatly increase the user's strength, two should make them very resistant to injury, and two should heal wounds and sickness." His finger follows along on the paper as he reads aloud. "The bottles should all have labels, and each label should explain in specific detail how to use the potion that it's attached to, what their effects are, and all drawbacks of using them. The labels should also contain all of the ingredients of the potions and their method of production." Eth nods, satisfied with himself, before he quickly adds "all of the labels should be written entirely in a language I can fluently read and write."

Three Interwoven Branches Bearing Fruit's grin nearly splits her face.

"How cold!" she says, "I feel I'm being taken advantage of!" She moves the fingers of her strange, clawed, double-thumbed hands. There is a smell like spoiled wine mixed with a sharp, reptilian odor, and a sound like a hammock of wooden teeth being tossed into a calm river. You feel the horse's gait shift. Turning around, there's a large, iron-bound wooden chest strapped down behind you.

Albah doesn't say anything. Albah also seems to run into and trip on things fairly frequently, and keeps shaking her head as if to clear away something unpleasant.

Now is the time to decide definitively what to do with the gnome:

Turn him in to an Exemplar
This will require you turn over the amulet, but should be the most effective way of not getting into any trouble from basically committing murder, and will prevent the gnome from returning to the jungle for at least several days, if not longer.

Toss him into a ditch or something
He'd wake up in a few hours, and probably just run off or something, although he certainly could try to meet back up with his companion and/or employer.

...
You aren't really comfortable committing a cold-blooded murder against a currently-harmless person who could have just made a very unfortunate employment decision.

You also consider possible boons.

You have no intention of making one just yet, but it's worth thinking about a little.

You consider asking for eternal prosperity of your house. Although you thinks he could probably grant this, based on what you remember of the stories you've read, something this powerful would definitely come with some kind of awful catch.

Several loaves of the most amazing bread is also on the table. You feel like this would probably be catch-free, unless the devata was just actively trying to fuck with you.

I've also included some thoughts from the dicksword channel

The ability to make people pee their pants. You aren't sure how this will help you solve your problem at all. It doesn't seem like something that could benefit your tavern.

Ask the devata to serve you for a period of time. This is a very traditional boon, and from the stories you've heard, usually ends up working just fine for the person asking for it unless they mistreat the devata or spirit granting it. A year and a day is the typical period for something like that.

Ask the devata to marry you. This is also a very traditional boon, but pretty much always ends up with at least one person being ruined and then dying. You can't remember a single story where there was anything other than a very tragic outcome.

Eth is going to leave when you get to the city, shortly
So this will probably be your last opportunity to talk to him for a while.
>>
No. 985584 ID: 5ec3f5

>gnome
Discard this item. But first I'd ask the devata if it's got some better use for it. Some sacrificial ritual perhaps?

>amulet
Similarly, I'd ask about the amulet. If it's powerful, then maybe it could be converted into some good luck charm or something? Maybe you could store it as a devata repellant in case some other jealous devata comes along and starts causing trouble?

>house prosperity
Nope, too dangerous.
>bread
Nope, too short-term. With your luck, the bread would just get ruined again.
>peeing
Look, this isn't SEXCOM.
>servitude
Seems like a good choice albeit a redundant one considering the same would be accomplished by simply not making a wish... and after Albah leaves.
>marriage
Haha, I like how ironic it is that marriage is a terrible choice. Or maybe it's not ironic at all...
>Eth
Thank him for inviting you along. Or vice versa. A snake that doesn't lie, how strange. Anyway, you know who to find if you find yourself in trouble again.

I think the presence of devata is causing confusion on Albash. After Eth leaves, you should try to get some one on one with Albah to ask if it's ok and persuade it to make its wish. Oh, right, Albah did say that it was fine with a different sort of payment so... maybe you could persuade Albah to use its wish for your benefit and in return you spend a night with it. And then you'd still be left with your own wish plus the deva following you. Now that's a win-win if I ever saw one.
>>
No. 985587 ID: b1b4f3

>>985576
Uh, we've got a problem here. I thought maybe the temple was giving Albah problems, but it must be the devata. How are they going to make a wish if they can't talk, and also seem to be having other problems?
I think you'll have to separate the two, find out what Albah's wish is, and then tell it to the devata while Albah confirms it's what they want.
Eth should be able to do this, since he's made his wish and can move away from the devata... except the devata can't move away from Albah? Uh oh. I think you'd better bring this up with her, and arrange a temporary separation so Albah's wish can be made.

>gnome
Turn him in to an Exemplar. We have no clear reason to keep the amulet.
>wish
Go with the servant wish. The boost in business will last much longer than bread, and on top of that if she's going to cause trouble for the world you've got a year to find out and do something about it.

Ask Eth how on earth he found out about the devata, considering there were traps in the way and he apparently didn't know about the rakshasa's group.
>>
No. 985589 ID: dfd651

Ask her to work for you for just a little under a year, having an employee like her is sure to bring your establishment fame for at least awhile. I'm sure she can tend the bar! I assume she also doesn't eat so you won't need to worry about feeding her, just giving her a decent room to stay in (which you should do out of respect whether she sleeps or not). Just make sure not to treat her like an asshole, that will probably lead to her taking a most brutal revenge at some point after her service ends.
>>
No. 985590 ID: 46a721

Five curses and spite live in each gnome,
This truth can't be ignored.
The best way to get rid of a gnome
Is to throw that gnome overboard.

Giving him to the Exemplar might be the best idea.
Do ask the devata what she will do with her newfound freedom, that's important!
>>
No. 985593 ID: 6f7a5a

give gnome to Exemplar

do not go for a lawyery boon like Eth did, enough of those is apt to piss her off and look fore ways to screw you over, also assuming treachery from someone offering wishes is very rude.

Having her work for you for a year and a day seems like a fine boon, however marriage boon seem more adventurous maybe she'll like the idea and be generous.

in any case talk with the devata to get to know her better
>>
No. 985635 ID: 12b116
File 161059323092.jpg - (451.88KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 19.jpg )
985635

You have begun to realize that there is a problem. Something about the devata is affecting Albah, who can't seem to communicate anymore.

"Ah, would you mind if I go off to the side and speak with Albah?" you ask.

"How sad! But until you have requested your boon, I simply cannot allow you to leave my presence," she says.

"Albah can't request her boon though, if you're next to her," you say.

Three Intertwined Branches Bearing Fruit shrugs. "What an unfortunate set of circumstances!" she says, grinning.

Eth pokes you in the stomach.

"We're at the gates. Off the horse!" he pokes.

You dismount, and Eth wiggles to the ground, grabbing up the reins to lead the horse forward.

"How did you know about the devata and such?" you ask before he leaves.

"Ah, well, the thing is, I was just out exploring and happened onto it. Purely by luck, if you can believe that." You aren't sure you can, but he doesn't really sound like he's lying to you.

"Your assistance was very much appreciated!" he says. "If you want to team up in the future, I'd be happy to have you!" He waves, leaving you standing there with Albah and the bound devata.

You decide to turn the gnome over to an Exemplar. Another damned bird, unfortunately, but there's none of the condescention this time. The Exemplar seems extremely concerned with the devata, but takes custody of the gnome and the amulet and wishes you well.

Nothing left to do but go back to the tavern while you think about your boon and possibly also how to help Albah.

You ask the devata what she plans on doing with her freedom.

"Just awful!" she says. "I would much rather be protecting my demesne, but with that terrible rakshasa after me, I feel that it is not safe, and therefore I am not doing anything in particular."

That's ... a less than ideal answer. As you near the tavern, you realize it might be wise to go ahead and request your boon. Having the devata basically uncontained and vaugely upset about life seems like a bad situation.

"I'm ready for my boon," you say.

The devata nods.

"I request that you work for me for a year and a day," you say.

You hear a sizzling sound, like burning fat, and a smell like snakes eating lemons. You hear someone call out to you and see Alis, your brother, waving from the porch of the tavern.

"Brother!" he shouts, "Who'se that with you?"

You turn and see the devata is now much smaller, and not tied up with ropes. And standing on the ground instead of floating in the air.

"You can tell him whatever you like. How you'd prefer to refer to me, as long as you understand that what you call me isn't my name," she says sweetly.

Albah is still there too, leaning heavily on the wall next to her.
>>
No. 985638 ID: 0fae41

Uhh... This is Lattise, you met her at the pub and hired her on! She seems to be an eager hire.
>>
No. 985639 ID: b1b4f3

>>985635
Uh I think Albah is gonna die if this lasts much longer. You really should ask the devata to stand further away from Albah. If the maximum distance they can be apart is still not far enough for Albah to recover and communicate with you(you'll be closer than the devah), then you'll have to do 20 questions to find out what Albah's wish is and see if Albah confirming it with a gesture would work for the boon request.
Things you could ask: first idea is, does she want to be able to reproduce without it being so inconvenient for her mate? If not that then try something generic, like wealth, power, money, fame, beauty, health, love, some specific item perhaps...
If you can't figure out what her wish is... can she transfer the boon to you, which would let the devata separate from her? At that point you could have the devata far enough away (like, send her into the inn perhaps) that Albah can tell you what she wants, at which point you can use that for your "second boon" and the situation will have resolved with everyone getting what they want. If she would then be unable to leave your side, you could ask someone to ask Albah what she wants. Either get someone trustworthy, or confirm with Albah that the relayed wish is correct.

Tell your brother you have a new servant. Her name's Peach. You'll give him more details later.
>>
No. 985641 ID: b1b4f3

We could also try putting a wall between them, since it could be a problem with how Albah's "vision" works. We could try bringing her to someone knowledgeable about Nariphons and Devatas.
If the 20 questions route is our best chance, here's more questions to ask:
Is the wish selfish? Selfless? Does she want her body changed? Does the wish involve someone else? If so would the wish harm them? Help them?
If it's a wish about an object we can just ask various questions that would narrow it down.
>>
No. 985642 ID: 46a721

Larisse sounds like a nice name.

Try to recall what in the universe Alis is, how it is that he is your brother, and how you know what all those strange and oddly specific things you mentioned smell like.
>>
No. 985650 ID: 05444b

You should probably find somewhere for Albah to sit, they aren’t looking to good
>>
No. 985652 ID: 5ec3f5

Ask the deva if it's possible for Albah to wish to transfer its wish to you. If yes, then ask Albah this question. Hopefully the nariphon can still nod and that the devata would accept the nod as its wish.

If not, then we'll have to consider other options. Maybe now that she's our servant, we can order her to distance herself from Albah? Alternatively, yeah, try putting a wall between the two. Or a mirror. Might be the divine light that's the affliction. If that doesn't work then, maybe putting the rakshasa's amulet on the deva would work. Oh wait, we already gave it away huehue. Let's see. We could try finding another nariphon and explain the situation and have them try communicate with Albah.

Tell Alis that... Diana is a devata that's serving you. I mean, we have to make it known that she's special in some way if we're to attract the attention for the inn.
>>
No. 985742 ID: 12b116
File 161076591279.jpg - (318.00KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 20.jpg )
985742

You head inside and are greeted by your sisters. Kafia is your older sister and says "Oh! Brother! We've managed to clean up down here. I'm sure you have an exciting story to tell us!"

Your younger sister Nainah sits on the edge of the bar, swinging her feet. "Who is that?" she says with obvious interest. You can't really tell if she's talking about Albah or the Devata.

You introduce the devata as Larisse and say she's a new hire, and also a devata who is working for you that's sure to attract attention to the inn.

Now to deal with Albah's issue. You quickly discover some things:

The devata comes up to you if you get too far away from her, or approaches Albah. If you have Albah stand across the room, that doesn't seem to be sufficient.

So you keep the devata downstairs with you, and send Albah up the stairs. Nainah seems very eager to help, so she runs upstairs to check, and sure enough, Albah isn't affected and can communicate. Albah, through Nainah, explains that there are emanations flowing off of the devata which aren't nearly as strong as they were before she became your worker, that wash away Albah's own emanations that are used to speak, see, and other important things like that.

Both Albah and TIBBF shoot down the notion that maybe you could have Albah's boon, and with some back and forth, Nainah and Albah come downstairs.

"Albah, nod if you want the devata to grant you a boon that would make you immune to the emanations of spirits."

Albah nods. There's a horrible skittering sound, and a smell like burning brick as 'Larisse' makes a series of strange hand-gestures.

Almost immediately you can smell a tangy, sharp scent, and feel Albah's thoughts in your head.

"That," Albah thinks, "Was the absolute worst experience of my life. I'm just gonna sit down for a while and chill for a bit."

'Larisse' seems completely unaware of anything Albah may be thinking, which makes sense when you think about it.

Nainah drags 'Larisse' away by the hand and begins to bombard the devata with questions, while Alis and Kafia crowd around you.

"So!" your brother says, "Wanna explain to us how all this happened?" He's grinning, and waves generally at Albah and the devata.

"Are we entirely sure she's safe?" Kaifa asks. "Also, we've gotten everything straightened up down here, but we're going to need some kind of plan for tonight when guests start showing up. Something we can use to wow them."
>>
No. 985743 ID: 2aa5f0

tell them you went out to look for something to help the tavern and it kinda spiraled into this. though Albah hung around for as long as they did because they said something about want to see if we could watch a goat for them... but hasn't really brought it up for awhile.
>>
No. 985746 ID: 35d83e

We can ask the devata to provide wonderful foodstuffs!

Even better! We can ask Nainah to put on a shirt before I loose my lunch!
>>
No. 985748 ID: b1b4f3

>>985742
>immune to the emanations of spirits
That seems like a foolish boon considering she could have asked for literally anything else and walked away... is Albah planning on staying at your inn or something? Or is going to be around other spirits in the future? I guess it'd make sense in those two cases.

>plan
Alright, ask what Larisse can do in your service. Can she do magic for you? Like, can she make some fancy bread to replace the loaf you lost? Or just generally entertain guests in a way that other employees wouldn't be able to? Also what kind of treatment is she expecting from you?
The phrasing of your boon was that she WORK for you, which implies employee benefits such as pay. Hopefully you can negotiate her pay down a bit considering her working in your inn will allow her some protection from the rakshasa, and... I don't think she has any use for money anyway. Obviously you weren't going to treat her like a slave anyway, but you were hoping for this boon to benefit your inn rather than be a drain on its finances.
>>
No. 985749 ID: c09f5e

Know how adventurers spin their tales at the inn? After a drink, you figured you might as well try it out for yourself.

They should know you might have pissed off a Rakshasa with your endeavors, but you trust the Exemplar to handle that.

Can Devatas sing? If so, set a stage, set a song, and we're done here.

Also, we have a new customer now. She'll need a goat.
>>
No. 985776 ID: dcf013

>>985748
My thoughts exactly.
>>
No. 985777 ID: b1b4f3

Oh, maybe she'll work for room and board and meals and such.
>>
No. 985846 ID: 12b116
File 161089432692.jpg - (253.65KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 21.jpg )
985846

First, you tell Nainah to put a shirt on before you barf.

"UGH!" she hollers, storming off to grab a shawl. "You're such an asshole!"

You tell Alis and Kaifa that you aren't sure sure that she's 100% safe, but that you went out to look for something to help the inn, and one thing lead to another.

Alis laughs and Kafia frowns and sighs. As far as Albah, you go talk to her for a bit.

You do go over the fact that there's possibly an angry rakshasa in play, although hopefully you'll be safe inside the city. That's what the Exemplars are for, after all.

Kafia seems quite concerned.

"Albah, are you sure that was the best use of your boon? Also, what do you want to do about your goat request?"

The thoughts are quite tangy. "No way," she thinks. "That was, bar none, the worst thing I've ever experienced. Spirits also use their emanations to transmit their magic. Most spirits are going to be immune to my communication, so I can't imagine a positive interaction with oen, and if there's a rakshasa that's possibly going to be coming after us, I'd rather be immune to its magic instead of being rendered partially deaf, mostly blind, and mute just by being around it."

Her thoughts take a slightly sweeter note, "And, uh, it was pretty hard to think straight, so I picked something without thinking too much about it."

"As far as the goat," she continues, "I don't care whether it's you or Eth that gets it. Decide between yourselves."

More importantly, you have to decide what to do with 'Larisse.'

"So," you ask her, "In what capacity will you be working for me? We'll need to negotiate a fair wage, too."

She claps her hands (which is quite loud, considering,) and sits on the edge of the table.

"Misery! That we have to discuss such necessary and boring details! My duties will be equivalent to my pay, so for a meager wage, I'd be happy to serve food and drinks. For a higher wage, I'd be happy to do chores around the place. Cleaning, laundry, that kind of thing. For more, I'd be happy to prepare food and drinks, and for a high wage, I'd be happy to sing and dance for your guests. I will not perform any mystical feats for you, as that is not a service you would be able to afford."

She gives you the specifics.

"So," she says, grinning and bowing, "How does my lord want me?"

Although obviously, the idea is that her presence would bring in more customers, with the average per-night income without the bread:

Server: You figure you'd be able to afford her as a server indefinitely.

Maid: As a maid, you'd just be breaking even, although you and your siblings would have a lot more free time to do other stuff.

Cook: You'd be losing money with her as a cook, although hopefully the food would be sufficient to get curious folks in.

Dancer: And as a dancer, you could only afford her for a few days before you had exhausted the coffers, although obviously, again, it'd hopefully attract rich patrons.

You should also decide if you'd rather just get Albah's goat, or get in touch with Eth to convince him to get it instead. She'd probably occasionally check in with whoever gets it.
>>
No. 985848 ID: 094652

Pay for a cook; this all started because your exclusive cuisine was ruined, so hopefully selling exotic recipes from an age long by will be enough. And unlike most employees, you can lower her pay to change her job and she won't give a flip.
>>
No. 985852 ID: 46a721

Maybe having her as a servant would be wise, as having a Devata witress might attract the interest of many wealthy costumers without too much expence.

Of course, having her dance and sing for tonight only might be a good idea too!
>>
No. 985858 ID: 0fae41

Perhaps saving the dance for special occasions, like tonight, is a good idea. Go for maid wages the rest of the time.
Acquire goat, remember to keep it separate from the food stock.
>>
No. 985866 ID: 6f7a5a

How about this, her regular job is server, but once a week she cooks and once a month she performs
and advertise accordingly

also let her keep the maid outfit, it looks cute on her!
>>
No. 985869 ID: b1b4f3

>>985846
>have to pay the devata in accordance to her duties
Well that was a fucking terrible boon, good job everyone.

>>985866
Something like this seems best. Server has great visibility and will be needed at first just to get the word out that you've got something interesting going on, and is probably the best long term role. Cooking and dancing can be for special occasions to attract a crowd on those days and prevent your customer base from getting too used to it.
You will obviously be able to adjust her job plan in the future, to use the flashier jobs more often once your profits and customer base have grown to merit it.
>>
No. 985871 ID: c09f5e

Going with Maid would free your family up to focus on their hobbies/talents, or come to your aid. So for you, it'll be beneficial and/or ...not dull: A net positive!

>>985869
Do you want to get cursed? Cus that kind of attitude is how you get cursed. Just pay the worship dues.
>>
No. 985872 ID: dcf013

I would try out her cooking and dancing for one day each to see how well she does that. Once there are a lot of guests around of course. Otherwise as a server, and occasionally a maid if the place is low on manpower.
>>
No. 985883 ID: 0fae41

>>985866
Yeah, true. If it's one job per pay grade then server is more visible to customers than a maid. I like her current outfit more, though. Stop being a prude to your sister, you know what this business runs on!
>>
No. 985995 ID: 6c227a

Server seems like a safe bet, but ask for a cooking sample, to see if there is novelty enough to drive traffic.
>>
No. 986187 ID: cc0880

I think paying her to do bigger things for special occasions is the best use of her time and our money, but I also posit that we might take commissions for her services.
Wealthy patrons being able to request the catering or dancing of a daeva for special events works out profitably for everyone involved, and depending on how astronomical her prices for such services might be there remains the potentiality of serving as a middleman between her and wealthy individuals seeking spellcasting services.
>>
No. 986188 ID: cc0880

Also just go halvsies with Eth for the goat.
>>
No. 986202 ID: 12b116
File 161152342159.jpg - (442.18KB , 1000x750 , inkeeper 22.jpg )
986202

You come up with a plan:

Have her as a server most of the time to get people in the door, and then have certain days where she cooks or dances. That way you can gauge interest and have some time to advertise before you start spending a substantial amount of money. You also consider, if she draws people in in the first place, allowing wealthy patrons to 'commission' her services, requesting catering or dancing for a substantial fee. Seems reasonable, although it probably won't be profitable until she has a reputation.

You aren't really woried about getting Albah her goat yet either, so you'll figure it out later. Maybe go halfsies with Eth.


Now that everything is mostly taken care of, you have some time before guests start arriving.

You decide who you want to spend it with:

Nainah: Help your younger sister neaten up the front room and see how she's been doing lately.

Kafia: Help your older sister in the kitchen and see what she thinks about the current situation.

Alis: Help your younger brother tidy up the living quarters and see how he's handling things.

'Larisse': Talk to your new worker to learn more about her.

Something else: Head out to do something else (please specify.)
>>
No. 986203 ID: 6f7a5a

spend time with Larisse
>>
No. 986204 ID: 0fae41

Larisse.
>>
No. 986205 ID: 4846e9

>>986202
Hang with your little brother, help him out and ask his opinion. Internally question how he's your brother since you're two entirely different species.
>>
No. 986209 ID: b1b4f3

IMO get Albah her goat yourself. Having her around will be useful in case some ruffians come to try to steal your devata.
>>
No. 986212 ID: ca2950

You've had your whole life to talk to your siblings. Talk to Larisse
>>
No. 986213 ID: dcf013

I guess this would be a good time to inform Larisse of the reasons behind you venturing into her temple and how you're in a pickle because of your inn's ruined reputation.
>>
No. 986214 ID: 6e4236

Maybe asking your older sister what she thinks about the situation would be wise.
>>
No. 986215 ID: ce39da

Help Nainah. The only evidence of last night's brawl will be the police report and the guests' foggy memories. Plus, if your younger sister has been "up to" something, that might spell a new lead for attention-grabbing features.
>>
No. 986254 ID: dccdd0

Larisse seems like the right option.
>>
No. 986269 ID: 2aa5f0

Alis

check on family, see how they're doing
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [Last 100 posts]

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason